Best Company Guarantee Optima Tax Relief Logo

Optima Tax Relief

9.2

LAST UPDATED: September 13th, 2021

Looking for Optima Tax Relief reviews from verified customers? Find them here. Or continue reading for an in-depth review of the company.

About the Company

Experience and Accreditations

Optima Tax has a plethora of industry accreditations to legitimize its status as a top, trusted tax relief company. These include being a member of the NAEA and the NATP, as well as having IRS Power of Attorney in all 50 states.

The company has also received a number of recognitions or awards, making it an even more appealing option if reputation plays a big role in your decision about what company to use. Optima is ranked the #1 Financial Services Company by Inc. 500 and has an A rating with the Business Consumer Alliance.

How does Optima Tax Relief work?

Optima Tax Relief breaks down what is often a complicated process (resolving your tax debt with the IRS) into three simple steps.

The first step is the investigation. After an initial, free consultation with the company, you will have Optima’s help in establishing a channel of communication with the IRS and Optima will initiate its client protection program and become a buffer between you and the IRS. This process takes about two to four weeks.

The second step is resolution. Optima will establish IRS compliance with the best determined resolution it can offer, and then work to achieve that resolution. This is the longest step of the process and can take anywhere from three to nine months.

The final step is the best step — freedom. Your case is closed and your tax debt has been resolved. No more letters from the IRS about your tax bill or unpaid taxes.

Should I have any concerns about Optima Tax Relief?

We should note that this is one of the newer tax relief companies we have reviewed; the company opened its doors for business in 2010. This is fairly young compared to other tax relief companies that have more years of experience.

While some people may not care about the age of a company, others may want a company with more IRS experience under its belt to ensure competent resolution of tax issues.

It should be noted, however, that while the company was established in 2010, some of the company employees and tax professionals working for Optima have over 25 years of industry experience. Thus, this can be a comfort to anyone skeptical of the newness of the company in the tax relief space.

Details and History

Headquartered in Santa Ana, California, Optima Tax Relief has helped save its clients over $1 billion in tax debt. The tax relief company offers several avenues for tax debt relief and navigating IRS regulations including tax consultation, tax resolution services, tax preparation and compliance, and tax settlement and negotiation. Whatever aspect of taxation you may need help with, Optima Tax Relief can help.

Optima Tax Relief requires a minimum of $10,000 in tax debt, so if your tax debt is a lower amount than this, you’ll want to find a different tax relief service. However, you may still qualify for a free consultation with Optima Tax Relief if you have a lower tax debt but have unfiled tax returns. You can answer a few simple questions on the company’s website to see if you fall into this category.

Optima’s highly qualified team of more than 400 tax professionals has received glowing customer feedback. Its relief services help clients with a variety of tax issues, including paying unpaid taxes and ending penalties, like bank levies, or wage garnishments by the IRS.

With this broad range of services, Optima Tax Relief can offer tax relief help for nearly any tax situation.

Because Optima Tax Relief offers tax settlement and negotiation services, taxpayers can expect to receive the help they need when dealing with the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) from a qualified tax professional.

On top of its many impressive offerings, Optima Tax Relief has been recognized by a number of organizations for its tax relief services. These include Inc. 500, the National Association of Tax Professionals, the Business Consumer Alliance, and even the IRS itself has recognized Optima Tax Relief as an Approved Continuing Education Provider.

Services

Optima Tax Relief offers many different tax services to help you handle the IRS. It can help with several different kinds of tax problems, like audits and penalties such as a wage garnishment, levy, or lien. If you owe back taxes or a large tax bill, Optima Tax Relief provides tax debt relief services. The company specializes in the following tax resolution services and problems:

• Tax negotiation and settlement
  • Innocent spouse relief
  • Installment plans
  • Offers in compromise
  • Unfiled tax returns

Tax levies are when the IRS takes the funds in your bank account to pay your unpaid taxes. Tax liens allow the IRS first priority on the money from a property's sale before anyone else. The IRS can also take a current year's tax return money to pay tax debt liability from previous years.

Optima Tax Relief also helps people reduce IRS tax debt by closely examining the past tax years’ returns. Looking at previous tax returns helps taxpayers understand their tax liability, or what they owe the government in taxes.

Optima offers tax solutions for a broad range of possible IRS/tax needs. All of Optima Tax's enrolled agents and attorneys are showcased on the company website, giving a real personal connection to potential customers.

The only negotiation service not advertised by Optima Tax Relief is asset seizure.

Additionally, the professionals — whether it be a tax attorney or an enrolled agent — at Optima are trained to review any unfiled tax returns for each taxable year you might have. Unfiled tax returns can hurt your chances with the IRS because it can indicate a failure to meet tax obligations, so Optima will work with you to get ahead.

The tax law professionals can help you deal effectively with the IRS and find a good tax debt resolution.

The company may also provide tax help by helping you apply for the IRS Fresh Start Program, which is a great option for those struggling to pay off that federal income tax burden due to financial hardship.

Optima Tax Relief also helps with penalty abatement, which removes IRS penalties, like a wage garnishment, lien, or levy on property or a bank account. To qualify for penalty abatement, taxpayers must demonstrate financial hardship.

Pricing

How much does Optima Tax Relief cost?

The fee for tax relief services depends on the extent of the client's tax issue. Like most other tax relief companies, Optima Tax does not publish pricing online because it offers so many different services with different pricing structures — that's why Optima Tax Relief’s cost can be difficult to measure.

But how much does Optima Tax Relief cost to use? What we do know is that if you are five years behind on payment and owe $35,000 in back taxes, Optima Tax charges anywhere from $2,000 to $5,000 to resolve the IRS tax debt, which means the company charges about 5-15 percent of your tax debt to use its services.

The company has an initial investigation fee to begin researching the customer's tax issues. Once the investigation is complete, Optima Tax Relief charges an additional fee for its services.

While it can be unsettling to set up a consultation before knowing how much you'll be paying for services, it's important for potential clients to take advantage of free consultations, like the one offered by Optima, because a client's case is reviewed and clear information regarding fees and payments are explained during these meetings.

Then, you have the power to decide whether or not you want to become a paying customer of the tax relief service.

Optima Tax does offer a 15-day money-back guarantee for all of its IRS/tax services. Though this is not a very long time limit for a refund (some lesser-known tax relief firms have time limits as high as 180 days), it is actually better than many of the top companies on the market.

This guarantee can give you some peace of mind if you are a little wary about the effectiveness of tax relief companies. While 15 days might not be enough time to see your tax debt reduced, it should give you a sense of how committed Optima is to your case and whether or not you want to continue working with the company.

What is Optima Tax Relief’s minimum debt requirement?

According to an Optima Tax Relief representative, there is a minimum debt requirement of $10,000 to use the company's tax reduction services. Thus, individuals with $10,000 in debt (or more) qualify for Optima Tax Relief's services.

Those seeking a tax relief program that helps with a lower amount of tax debt will need to consider another company with a lower minimum debt requirement.

However, Optima Tax Relief does offer a free tax consultation where you can meet with a tax professional about your unique financial situation. If you haven’t filed your tax return for previous years, you may still qualify for this consultation, even if you owe less than $10,000 in tax debt.

During this consultation, you could ask questions about tax relief or tax penalties that you are facing and determine what the best course of action for you would be, all with the help of a qualified tax professional.

What Customers Are Saying

Want to read real Optima Tax Relief reviews from verified customers? Do so here. We’ve also included a snapshot of how customers rank Optima in terms of value, quality, service, and trustworthiness.

Customer reviews are an essential component of making a wise choice when it comes to what company you want to handle your tax debt relief needs. Look for companies that have positive reviews, and a lot of them. Based on this criteria, Optima Tax Relief passes the test, with over 1,300 reviews and a rating above 4 stars.

Optima Tax Relief has mostly glowing comments. Customers say the company has saved them thousands of dollars, provides great customer service, and is comprehensive in its explanation of the tax relief process. Many clients say working with a tax professional at Optima was one of the smartest decisions they ever made.

Plus, these reviews come from customers all across the United States, so you can rest assured that Optima Tax Relief can help you resolve your tax debt, wherever you may be in the country.

The Bottom Line

Optima Tax Relief is for those who...

• Have at least $10,000 in IRS debt
  • Don’t mind working with a younger tax relief company
  • Value positive customer reviews

Optima Tax Relief is not for those who...

• Have less than $10,000 in IRS debt

Should I use Optima Tax Relief?

Optima Tax Relief is a great tax resolution firm for those who qualify with at least $10,000 in IRS debt and who don't mind working with a younger company. Those with less than $10,000 in taxes owed will need to consider other tax resolution companies.

Though the company is young, it has resolved more than $1 billion in tax debt since opening in 2010. And its customer service and reviews indicate its employees are competent tax experts, including tax attorneys, certified public accountants (CPA), and enrolled agents.

One of the benefits of choosing Optima Tax Relief is that clients work with a tax expert to resolve their taxes owed or penalties with the IRS. Tax relief services offered include tax resolution/negotiation and settlement, IRS audit defense, IRS tax levy and tax lien, IRS wage garnishment, back taxes or unpaid taxes, tax audits, end penalties and interest, or the ability to meet with a tax preparer.

Former clients are mostly pleased with the level of service they have received from Optima Tax Relief professionals. An important thing to keep in mind is that the cost varies depending on your tax situation. Be sure to ask the agent or lawyer for an exact list of fees for the debt relief services and what payments would look like.

Overall, we recommend Optima Tax Relief services when working through tax matters to reach agreement with the IRS to settle your tax debt or negotiate an end to penalties or a federal tax lien.

Call our recommended rep over at Optima Tax Relief below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Ory Wiggins Fremont, NE

Everyone is kind and helpful. They are help in what I need to do or send in. If I have questions on anything they are very helpful in making sure I have it right. If I don't know something they do a great job on explaining things to me. If they don't know they will find out and get back to me everytime and in a timely manner.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thank you for the shout-out! We understand dealing with tax debt can be extremely tough and we are glad that we were able to assist you.

C. Sales Shepherdstown, WV

They were really knowledgeable and courteous. They took on my case and made me feel at ease once it was under their care.I am so very grateful to have found this firm and surely glad I decided to " make that call!"

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thank you for thinking of our team as "knowledgeable and courteous." We make it our mission to get people out of collections and compliant with the IRS!

Mark Harper Surprise, AZ

My last interview with someone was really comfortable because the person was insightful and willing to listen to my situation. He was also willing to answer any question I had. In other words he seemed very concerned about my situation and ways to help come up with a resolution.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Our team of tax professionals is here to resolve your tax debt. We’re happy to hear that you had such a great experience with us!

Derrick Byers Houston, TX

There were a few lapses in communication in the past and I was removed from your system and had to be reinstated. But since that time the service has honestly exceeded my expectations. My Case Manager Kathryn is the best and most professional person I've ever worked with! She is more than the difference for me.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thanks for the kind words! We make it our mission to help each and every one of our clients with their tax debt.

Angie Lee Whiteriver, AZ

They have done their best to handle my situation and involved teams that focused on certain parts of the process with great attention and sensitivity.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

We appreciate your positive review. Our team of tax professionals is trained to address any questions or concerns any of our clients have!

IMOGENE beasley Garland, TX

very helpfully and solve my tax problem in a timely matter I was happy with the time it took to solve my tax problem I HAD TRIED other tax company and was a waste of my money never got my tax problem solve thanks to optima problem got solve

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

We’re so grateful to have had you as a client! Thank you for your kind words.

Paula Norris Chesterhill, OH

The staff I talked with were very professionali . They appeared to have my needs correctly stated I just could not finish after the initial phone meeting I did not feel comfortable going on. I started getting negative information from people that had used Optima. When I looked into them at the BBB they were rated high

Thanks for the feedback!

Patti Land O' Lakes, FL

Always helpful, kind and understanding what a customer is going through. And if they did not know they answer, they looked into it and called back. I’m very grateful that I have used them

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Wow! Thank you for your kind words. We understand that owing the IRS can be extremely stressful and it makes us so happy to hear that we were able to resolve your tax debt.

Inge Zant Camp Verde, AZ

Optima was very patient and professional while I put my paperwork together. Their communication was always clear and I was able to understand what they were looking for. I am happy with Optima and will use them in the future.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thank you Mr. Zant, we're glad to help!

Aug. 4th, 2021

David Brown Wilmington, NC

So far they have that rating with preparing my past taxes, could change with the IRS decision and how much they fight for me

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thank you for the positive review!

Charita Las Vegas, NV

Lisa L. My direct contact person. She explained everything to me and she was always available for me when I had questions.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

We're happy to hear that our team was able to answer all of your questions. We'll pass along your kind words to our staff.

Lisa Fuson Houston, TX

The first meeting was great. Then the cost to have them fix the mess I have with the IRS was scary. But now that I am waiting on the resolution it has been great. Do not try to navigate the IRS on your own. Let OTR help you and you will feel relieved.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thank you Ms. Fuson, it's important for us to give you an incredible resolution.

Jon Bettendorf, IA

They have been great to work with. I would rate them higher possibly once I receive the final outcome on my case once it is finalized.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Our team of trained tax professionals is here to assist you when it comes to taxes and owing the IRS. Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us!

Felicia Ann Holman Auburn, WA

Professional, knowledgeable & prompt still waiting final process. I believe all will a great ending.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thank you for thinking of our team as "professional, knowledgeable, and prompt."

Shawna Hayes Hillsboro, OH

Every time I sent a document I had to call them weeks later to see what is up. We finally got finalized and now I am lost. Try to call and get no response

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Your opinion truly matters to us. We'd like to speak with you as soon as possible to make the situation right and better understand your concerns. However, we've been diligently trying to locate you in our system but your review didn’t provide enough identifiable information to locate you. We welcome you to call (800) 965-3192 to speak with one of our QA Specialists, whenever you are ready. We will be more than happy to speak with you directly about your concerns. We truly hope you provide us with an opportunity to turn your experience around, and we are looking forward to hearing from you.

Sep. 8th, 2021

Randy Keltner Marionville, MO

They are willing to explain the important things and are willing to explain things that I don’t understand and give timely updates

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

We appreciate the time you took out of your day to leave this fantastic review!

Glenn Jones Locust Grove, GA

The support and advise I recieved. The representive that worked with me was very knowledgeable when it comes to taxes information!

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Amazing to hear! Our team has a passion for resolving tax debt and we are happy to hear that we were able to help you out.

Quincy Odessa, TX

Easy process. I have literally left it all in there hands and haven't had any issues. There has been good communication and good explanation of the steps

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thanks for the great feedback and for taking time out of your day to share your experience!

Aug. 10th, 2021

Walter L Johnson Tampa, FL

Very good company and very nice people work for Optima Tax Relief they really taken care all my taxes problems and taken real tax problems I thank them for all their help

Thanks Mr. Johnson!

Aug. 4th, 2021

Johannes Poulard Michigan City, IN

If you have problems with the IRS, Optima Tax is the firm to hire. These people know what they are doing and are with you all the time. They saved me from a lot of financial hardship.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Wow, thank you! Tremendous recommendation and we are here for you whenever you need us.

martin russell mccuskey Foxboro, WI

very detailed and professional. they were always available to discuss my situation.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

We are so glad to hear that our team of tax professionals was able to answer all your questions! We wish you well.

janice sibley Albany, GA

supportive, in dealing with cliental tax situations. I recommend my friends to give them a try.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thank you for the recommendation! We are happy to hear that we were able to relieve your tax stress.

Deborah Martinez Fort Worth, TX

Just started , everything is going as planned and they explain everything so that we understand the process.

Rancel Williams Portsmouth, OH

they were very easy to deal with, explained things to me in a way it was easy to understand

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thank you for the kind review!

Constance A Ammon Nevada City, CA

They have been very clear when explaining their services and what to expect will happen on my behalf.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

We appreciate your positive review! We pride ourselves on providing the best customer service to all our clients.

Robert truszkowski Beachwood, NJ

They actually work with me without having a a computer to give a very personalized service to appreciate it

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Glad to hear you’ve had a positive experience with our team so far. We make every effort to accommodate each of our clients to ensure that they are getting the best customer service!

Wayne M Miller Bethany Beach, DE

Attentive and amazingly helpful - the team is fantastic and gives me confidence that my issues will be resolved.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Stupendous! We are overjoyed to hear that our team of tax professionals has been able to provide you the assistance that you require!

Brenda Jean Begeman Nashville, TN

Since moving to next stage of this process there has been no contact made with me outside of the Portal Hard to tell if message are standard from the system or if someone on the other end is requesting or needed something. Nothing has been personalized, no phone calls VM left since going to this stage. The first stage was very interactive and felt personalized for me and as if Optima wanted my business and to help me.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thank you for letting us know, Ms. Begeman. We've passed on this information to our team!

Jun. 10th, 2021

Valerie Tovar Fillmore, CA

So far everyone we have talked to has been friendly.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

We appreciate your kind words. Our company’s passion is to resolve as much tax debt with the IRS as possible!

Sep. 13th, 2021

Robert and Earnestine Bunnitt Oak Ridge, LA

Direct and kept us informed.we were always contacted by a representative to keep us updated with our progress and courtesy calls were also made.Each rep was very polite and wanted us to as questions if we had any. We do appreciate all the service given to us and also so far how the case was handled.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thank you for the great feedback, you two - we'll be in touch!

Betty C. Harris Voorhees, NJ

Very professional and very good service i really like the way they handle my case and if they had an questions they would contact you until they get you to answer any questions i would recommend the company to family and friends

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Mr. Harris, thank you for the feedback! We appreciate your recommendations and we have enjoyed working with you.

Terence B Walker Wilmington, DE

They are awesome. They were extremely well prepared and competent

Curl Pat Graham, NC

Not happy with service was not given accurate information.. it's taking forever to get my case settled

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thank you for your feedback. We would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to speak with you again to further discuss your case since we take all of our clients' concerns very seriously and strive to address every issue brought to our attention. Upon receiving your review, we've been diligently trying to locate you in our system but your review didn’t provide enough identifiable information to locate you. We welcome you to call (800) 965-3192 to speak with one of our QA Specialists, whenever you are ready. We will be more than happy to speak with you directly about your concerns. We truly hope you provide us with an opportunity to turn your experience around, and we are looking forward to hearing from you.

Michael Colton Houston, TX

Condidence get the job done, keep me updated and decrease my stress

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Falling behind on taxes can happen to anyone! We are so happy that you chose Optima to resolve your tax situation. We appreciate you sharing your story.

bonnie sheraden Byron, IL

they are always keeping you up to date on every thing they do

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Fantastic to hear! Thanks for sharing.

Issac Lopez Buffalo, NY

Sincere professionals that work hard to get things under control.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Fantastic to hear! Thank you for the positive review.

Roy Morris Jr Brunswick, GA

I have had good experience with them so far as they have kept me inform with every move of my case.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

We are so grateful to have had you as a client! Our team of tax professionals is here to assist you and answer any of your tax questions!

C.G.Zuzo Somerset, NJ

they know what they are doing and them reassure you that they are working for you

Stephen Colbert Baltimore, MD

Communication is excellent. Information is presented in a clear and concise manner

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

We want to thank you for choosing Optima to help you resolve your tax debt!

Geneva Bell Camden, NJ

Just how quick they worked on things and they make sure I knew what was going on with my taxes and who was in charge of my case

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

We're glad you are satisfied with your results! Thank you!

Charita Stubbs Tucson, AZ

They worked hard to help me. They stayed on me to get my paperwork in. The customer service representatives always came across in a "wanting to help me" manner.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

We pride ourselves on what we've done for our clients. Thank you for the feedback!

May. 24th, 2021

Ricky. B. Midway, UT

They care about their clients. My case has been drawn out for years and they stay in constant contact with me. It’s reassuring to know that someone’s thinking about your IRS problems.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thank you Ricky! We truly do appreciate your great feedback - we treasure our relationships with our clients.

Cynthia Olivehurst, CA

Great people .. Helpful whenever I had a question.. Patient with me because I am not very techy. Phone calls were helpful and they out of their way to mail me things when I couldn't do things by computer or phone internet.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thanks Cynthia, that's so important for us - we gladly support our clients through the whole process!

Apr. 5th, 2021

Stanley and Dana Perkins Sikeston, MO

Friendly, knowledgeable, trustworthy staff

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thank you for thinking of our team as "friendly, knowledgeable, and trustworthy." We wish you well!

Connie Chase Indianapolis, IN

Optima tax relief consultants know their job very well

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Thank you for the compliment! We've enjoyed having you as a client.

Adam Bollaert Brandon, MS

They resolved my tax issues with efficiency and no hassle.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Amazing to hear! Thank you for the positive review.

Thomas Buxton Box, OK

Reducing my taxes as advertised.Great customer service

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

We’re overjoyed to hear that you are not only a satisfied customer but that we were also able to reduce your tax balance with the IRS. Thanks for sharing!

Karen Ross Gastonia, NC

I don't like dealing with numerous people. Therefore, I have not developed a relationship with anyone at Optima.

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

Your opinion truly matters to us. We'd like to speak with you as soon as possible to make the situation right and better understand your concerns. We welcome you to call (800) 965-3192 to speak with one of our QA Specialists, whenever you are ready. We will be more than happy to speak with you directly about your concerns. We truly hope you provide us with an opportunity to turn your experience around, and we are looking forward to hearing from you.

Brent Escoubas Santa Rosa, CA

Hard to communicate with staff. Calls at wrong times and scheduling is difficult

Reply from Optima Tax Relief

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to helping you resolve your tax debt with the IRS.

Laura Moore Davison, MI

They have all been so nice and very informative