SunPower by Solar Technologies

6.2

LAST UPDATED: August 2nd, 2021

Serving the San Francisco Bay Area of northern California since its founding in 1998, SunPower by Solar Technologies is a premier solar panel installer that provides some of the highest performing, most energy-efficient solar panel systems in both residential and commercial solar markets. Named one of Solar Power World’s “Top 500 Solar Contractors” at both the national and local levels every year from 2017 to 2020, Solar Technologies has installed more than 44 total megawatts of clean, renewable energy. The company’s partnership with industry leading manufacturer SunPower means its solar PV systems come with an industry-leading 25-year Power and Product warranty.

The Good

• SunPower Master Dealer
  • 25-Year Power and Product Warranty
  • Additional Services
  • Multiple Financing Options
  • NABCEP Certified

SunPower Master Dealer

As the only SunPower Master Dealer certified in the Bay Area, Solar Technologies builds solar energy systems that are almost unmatched by many of its competitors. Solar panels from SunPower are the industry’s best, averaging around 22.8 energy efficiency, and built to withstand extreme temperatures. Companies like Solar Technologies that achieve Master Dealer Status achieve high marks in the following areas:

• Technical Experience
  • Installation Quality
  • Customer Satisfaction
  • Financial Health
  • Service and Support

25-Year Power and Product Warranty

Solar Technologies also protects its solar installation systems through SunPower's Complete Confidence warranty. This guarantee applies on three fronts: first, it ensures that the system will perform at peak efficiency and performance throughout its entire projected lifetime (25 years). In the event that any system component significantly underperforms, the company will service or replace the part for free.

The second area the warranty protects is against system or solar product defects. In the event that a solar panel, solar inverter, or other system component is revealed to be damaged or defective, Solar Technologies will replace it at no cost to the homeowner.

Lastly, the warranty covers all the labor required to build the system; in the event the solar panel system requires maintenance or repair due to installation errors, the company will provide this service at no cost to the homeowner for the lifetime of the system.

Additional Services

In addition to installing quality, industry-leading solar panel systems, Solar Technologies provides homeowners with the following services:

• Solar Energy Storage — includes both SunVault Storage by SunPower, and the Tesla Powerwall to harness and store the SunPower Equinox systems surplus energy to be used in emergencies
  • EV Charging Stations — leverages partnerships with both Tesla and ChargePoint to provide sustainable, eco-friendly charging solutions for electric vehicles
  • Home Electrical Services — through Solar Technologies’ sister company, ST Electric, to provide energy efficiency upgrades, home improvements, and more
  • Ongoing Maintenance and Monitoring — allows customers to monitor the performance of their system, and request maintenance appointments when needed

Multiple Financing Options

SunPower by Solar Technologies provides multiple financing options to help homeowners make the switch to solar. In addition to direct purchase, which requires a significant upfront investment for immediate solar panel ownership, the company also allows homeowners to finance through a zero-money down third-party solar loan, or to rent the solar panel system through a solar lease. Each of these options carry inherent advantages and drawbacks, and customers are encouraged to speak with one of the company’s energy specialists to determine the best financing route for them.

NABCEP Certified

SunPower by Solar Technologies has been certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP), meaning the company's technicians have undergone advanced solar installation training through the most widely respected and recognized certification provider in the solar industry. An NABCEP certification signifies SunPower by Solar Technologies' expertise in the solar field, and homeowners can trust they're receiving a high-quality system.

The Bad

Only Available in the Bay Area

SunPower by SolarTechnologies is only available in the Bay Area of California. With more than 2,000 individual solar installers working in the state, this represents a highly competitive solar Market. Promoting verified SunPower by Solar Technologies reviews can help the company stand out from the crowd by publicizing its quality of service and solar installation process.

The Bottom Line

If you live in the Bay Area and are looking for a high-quality solar PV system, SunPower by Solar Technologies is a solid choice. The company builds industry-leading systems that are built to last. Customers are encouraged to obtain a quote from this company and compare its financing options to other leading solar providers in the area.

Message from
SunPower by Solar Technologies

Founded in 1998, Solar Technologies has designed and installed more than 75,000 solar power systems for home and business owners across the San Francisco Bay Area.

We pride ourselves on providing reliable solar energy and reasonably priced solar panels. Many local customers and partners have trusted us to install and care for their solar panel systems.

As the National Commercial Volume Dealer of the Year and the exclusive SunPower Bay Area Master Dealer, our award-winning customer service, experienced solar installers, and industry-leading 25-year SunPower warranty set us apart.

We offer solar energy systems for residential, commercial, industrial, government, agricultural and non-profit organizations. With offices conveniently located in Santa Cruz, Campbell, and San Ramon, we’re ready to save you money and help your home or business become more sustainable for the future.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

James Fyfe Hercules, CA

Overall, I am very satisfied with SunPower by Solar Technologies. The sales representative was helpful and did not put pressure on us to make the purchase. She was also very good at helping us to get the right system for our needs. There were delays in getting permits due to Covid and that is understandable. There was also a delay in starting construction due to issues with Tesla's ability to provide the Power Wall battery. The company did a poor job in keeping us informed about the delay and letting us know what options were available to us. I had to call to find out abput the delay a few months after we got the permit approved. Then I found out that I could get the panels installed while waiting for delivery of the Power Wall. Installation was great and done very professionally. I would have given five stars except for the company's not keeping us informed during the delays.

Jeff guertin San Leandro, CA

I was happy at first but was upset with them later. Part of my frustration was my own fault due to me not downloading the app or Taking in information better. One problem that seemed to repeat was that different parts of the company were not communicating with each other well enough. When my new panel was installed there was a miscommunication between the electrician that caused the project to last 3-4 days instead of 1. Later I was irritated when I belatedly downloaded the app and saw my solar not working during the sunniest part of the year. Issue was that I was given permission to operate and told so in an email, but I was not aware that my panels were turned off before that event and it was myself who had to turn them on. Found it irritating, the gap between what one person thought they were telling me and what I really understood. I know the issue was explained to me but the clarity of the issue and the coordination of it was not done well.

Schliefer

I have already recommended this company to friends! They are a very trustworthy company. Installation had a few hiccups because the city of Oakland sent an inspector that required things I didn't think were necessary. Other than that, the glitches got worked out and everything Now that my panels are up and running, I'm seeing that they are producing at the estimated rate I was given which is a good sign. The Tesla batteries are performing well and overall the equipment is great. Their customer service is great overall. They are very accommodating and responsive to your potential problems.

John A Hunt Aptos, CA

They rushed into the job without giving time to evaluate my roof. It clearly needed replacing. A few months later when I did replace my roof it was no longer eligible for a tax credit Plus they quoted me about as much as the entire solar cost to remove and reapply the panels. They did not credit my college which was my motivation for picking them. When I pointed this out to them they ignored me.

Harry Dublin, CA

The quality of work was overall very good and attractive. Electricity production slightly exceeded expectations. The wait times for the installation and for service were long. The monitoring component has failed twice.

Muse

It is a reputable, local company. It is a little slow getting back to me and the second installation is slow but the warranty is excellent and I haven’t had any problems with the equipment.

Grown

I think the equipment is excellent. I'm having trouble understanding my bill but it's partly my own fault because I need to reach out and take the time to figure it out and and talk to people that the company.

Bruce Joe Yuke Orinda, CA

Knowledgeable and responsive. Installation due to the Pandemic was SLOW. Permitting was slow too - but that is not under their control. Job site was kept very clean too!

Hussein Jamsheed Berkeley, CA

I thought the associates did very good job, and I was well informed on the progress and status of the project.

Reply from SunPower by Solar Technologies

We are so happy to hear that you felt well informed throughout the process. Thank you for your review, Hussein!

Dec. 30th, 2021

Johnson

The installation of the solar panels was handled quickly and clean. I have gotten good result from it.

Chew

The pricing and service is good. Everything has gone pretty smooth. They have been very efficient. I have seen results.

ANNE HIPSHMAN San Francisco, CA

They were professional, reliable and did an excellent job installing my solar panels.

Reply from SunPower by Solar Technologies

Thank you, Anne! We appreciate your feedback.

Dec. 30th, 2021

David Cook Santa Cruz, CA

Overall things are good. I am not thrilled with the app and the onboarding process was slow.

Isaac Middendorf Redwood City, CA

Experience has been good, although initial panel estimate and output were not accurate.

Huffman

They have the highest efficiency and you get the monitoring so it is all good.

Patrick Chu San Ramon, CA

Reliable system production Energy daily operations

A Tang Sunnyvale, CA

systems works pretty well its a little undersized