DIRECTV verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

DIRECTV got its start in 1990, and has since grown into a successful Fortune 100 company. It serves over 20 million customers in the United States and 16 million in Latin America, totaling over 37 million customers worldwide. The company offers over 190 full-time HD channels. Currently the consensus winner for sports programming, DIRECTV offers NFL SUNDAY TICKET, NHL® CENTER ICE®, and NBA LEAGUE PASS. It was awarded "#1 for Customer Service Satisfaction" according to the 2016 American Customer Satisfaction Index.

In June 2015, AT&T officially acquired DIRECTV, creating one of the largest television and communications companies in the world. The projections for this merger are positive for DIRECTV customers, giving them bundling opportunities on internet and phone service not available before. Many industry leaders predict this merger will allow DIRECTV to compete with other cable/satellite companies and their bundling services.

The Good

• HD DVR
  • Exclusive Sports Programming
  • Additional Technology Features
  • Watch in Multiple Rooms
  • Bundling and Competitive Pricing

HD DVR

DIRECTV is one of the leaders in the satellite TV industry, and proudly showcases its HD DVR, the Genie, as the new great technology in viewing pleasure. The Genie can record up to five shows at the same time, a definite standout feature among leading DVR providers.

Exclusive Sports Programming

DIRECTV has an exclusive partnership with the NFL, offering the NFL SUNDAY TICKET to sports fans across the country. NFL SUNDAY TICKET shows all the live, out-of-market NFL games every week from your favorite teams. For more features and remote accessibility, you are able to upgrade to NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX, offering highlights, the RED ZONE CHANNEL®, DIRECTV FANTASY ZONE CHANNEL™, and NFL.com fantasy. NFL SUNDAY TICKET is included for a limited time on most initial sign up packages. When charged, costs range between $281.94 and $377.94. This package is a huge selling point, especially for individuals who have moved away from their favorite city and team and want to keep them a part of their weekends.

Not only does DIRECTV provide unmatched content streaming for every live NFL game, it also offers similar programming for the NBA, MLB, and NHL. These streaming services, while excellent for sports fans, are not exclusive to DIRECTV. All 50 states have access to DIRECTV and these excellent sports options.

Additional Technology Features

Tired of finding the schedules so you don't miss any of your teams' games or your favorite shows? Now the Genie will arrange a joint schedule of all of your games once you specify your teams. Outside of sports, the Genie will also recommend shows for viewing based on your prior viewing history. Sometimes it is hard to choose what you want to watch, but DIRECTV allows you to do split screen with two shows at once, meaning you don't have to miss a beat while figuring out where to place your focus.

If you find a show that you want to watch, but know you'll forget about it if you don't program it in the system, DIRECTV will let you search and save the program up to two weeks in advance.

Watch in Multiple Rooms

Another issue for customers in the past was bickering over who got to control the remote. But now any iPhone can act as a DIRECTV remote, and up to four different shows can be watched in four different rooms at any given time. So if you have enough TVs in the house, you'll never have to fight over watching your favorite show again. The Genie displays both HD programming and can be used to record shows. Better yet, those shows can be recorded in HD, meaning you can enjoy them fully without viewing them live.

Even though you can view different shows in multiple rooms, what about all of the extra equipment? With DIRECTV, all you need is a Genie Mini in each additional room. And if you have a Samsung or Sony Direct Ready TV, you actually don't need any external devices to run multiple TVs through the network.

Bundling and Competitive Pricing

DIRECTV pricing varies by package. You can expect to pay somewhere between $50 and $187 depending on the package chosen. Additional channels (like the NFL SUNDAY TICKET) may require additional costs.

Due to the recent merger between AT&T and DIRECTV, the future looks bright for customers being able to save money on bundling their phone and internet services with their TV programming. As time moves forward, we will know more how much value this will actually bring to current and future customers of DIRECTV. The future is promising for customers who want to save more money and get more services in return.

Learn more about DIRECTV

The Bad

• Customer Complaints
  • Equipment and Service Complaints

Customer Complaints

DIRECTV has a number of customer complaints, bringing up many similar service and experience issues. Before going with DIRECTV, be sure to do your homework and review these potential negatives of DIRECTV and the satellite TV industry as a whole.

Equipment and Service Complaints

DIRECTV is satellite-based and is subject to all the disadvantages that come with a satellite system: reception is at the mercy of weather conditions. Heavy storms are likely to have an effect on your satellite connection. Weather does not affect the quality and availability of cable or fiber optic programming to the same extent as satellite TV service. Be prepared to deal with spotty connections during considerably adverse weather. DIRECTV is known for locking customers into great promotional packages for the first year of their contract; however, once the first year of the contract is complete, year two can bring a substantial increase in monthly programming prices. Be sure to check what your price will be for the second year of service with DIRECTV.

The Bottom Line

DIRECTV has an incredible assortment of channels, and their initial promotional packages are hard to beat. Getting locked into NFL SUNDAY TICKET for free (first year of contract only), coupled with one of the highest picture qualities available, for the first two years is a huge benefit for many; however, after the initial two year contract, it may be time to go hunting for a new TV service, due to price hikes. Be aware of early termination fees specified in your contract (up to $480), and also watch out for loss of reception during storms and money disputes with the big networks.

View Available Packages

Call our recommended rep over at DIRECTV below.

227 DIRECTV Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

August 12th, 2017 Tucson, AZ

I renewed with you. Was promised free sunday ticket and you LIED. You record calls and wouldn't pull the recording. Somehow free sunday ticket did not end up my notes although I was assured that they were there

2 0

August 11th, 2017 Yukon, OK

If you want very spotty service, if you do not mind not having service even in light rain, much less severe weather when you really need it, if you want your cost to sky rocket, this is the service for you!!!!!

2 0

August 5th, 2017

Do Not sign up for direct tv the Reps that have assisted us are rude , unprofessional and disrespectful. The service at our house is in my daughter's name she ordered cable for us (her parents) in her name because she wanted us to watch tv more. We did not have cable at home for years. (Cable was a present from our only child) I am disabled and I'm home a lot due to my disability. My husband has cancer . I have spine issues and mobility issues permanently. My daughter and I have been trying to contact Direct Tv for 4 days to get boxes to return the DVRs, Receivers and remote controls. We are moving and at the new home I already have Comcast in my name. I'm trying to send back this equipment to DirecTTv and get a final bill so that I can pay it my daughter's credit isn't affected. She keeps encountering very rude customer service reps. I have heard the calls via speaker phone. She has advised the reps in my presence she has a father on life support and a disabled mom. Direct Tv has very rude and unprofessional Customer Service Reps. They could careless I filed a complaint with the FCC but wanted to try and reach out to warn other consumers as well. Please Save yourself the time , money and energy. Do not select Direct Tv as your cable provider. I believe this company needs to be investigated.

August 2nd, 2017

service technician never showed up nor called so had to set another appointment and wait again:( Supposed to be getting an upgrade to wireless so we'll see) Frustrating tv/ internet service lose service of tv in rain & internet sometimes very weak

August 2nd, 2017 Medina, OH

I entered in to a contract with direct TV in October 2016. The contract was for two years . I changed Services because I believed I was going to get a better deal . Looking for a better deal has created problems that I never anticipated . I was given false information by the sales associate about the package I was purchasing. This was the beginning of an ongoing problem with special promotion deals dropping off of my account and adding more and more each month to the amount that I had to pay . So the bill keeps going up and we end up getting less and less for our money . We are paying more now in less than one year with Direct TV than we were with our previous carrier . I was also told by the sales associate before signing up with Direct TV that the up front price that I was given would be good for 24 months. I've since been told that I was given false information. What is a consumer supposed to do since I haven't been able to get any information to resolve my issues with Direct TV .

5 1

August 2nd, 2017

I have been a Direct TV customer for 18 years. Or my family has at least. We unfortunately were going to switch to dish giving the outstanding offer. I called Direct first and told them the reasoning and they understood and was rather concerned. They treated us like they cared and appreciated our business. I won't disclose the deal we agreed upon to stay but it was very reasonable. The best phone call I have ever had with a company. We're loyal to them and they proved it mattered to them.

1 5

August 1st, 2017 Wake Forest, NC

I was first put on hold by a rep that was supposedly getting a manager for 30 minutes. I never spoke with the manager. 2 reps snapped at me. I was transferred so much i spoke to 8 people. 2 of those people gave me false information about a department that doesn't exist. It took me 2 hours to cancel my service.

August 1st, 2017

Been with DTV over 12 years, no premium channels but bill continue to rise. Leaving for sling, Netflix or Xfinity. Anything but DTV/ATT! ✌?

5 0

July 27th, 2017 Far Rockaway, NY

I enjoyed direct tv it had several channels to view gave me many give backs free rentals

0 2

July 26th, 2017 Kansas City, MO

They are far cheaper than others

0 2

July 25th, 2017

Direct tv is the worse company ! Called to cancel the service and was informed of a cancellation fee which is no big deal , but when the final bill came in they added showtime to my bill which I never had the whole time I had direct tv. They break the bill down into two separate parts which makes you pay more in fees . Customer service is garbage! I was on the phone for 2 hours and basically got told 3 different prices and then when it was all said and done , they tried to tell me that the lady I spoke to doesn't exist. The supervisor told me I was a liar, and when I asked for the corporate office number they tried to tell me they didn't have one !! Spoke to several very rude people . They obviously don't care about customer service. Then when I got off the phone and pulled up my account, all the credit they said they would give me wasn't there ! I wouldn't go with this company at all!!

5 0

July 15th, 2017 Stevensville, MT

DirectTV added services and multiple charges to the bill without knowledge of account holder. DirectTV would not take the charges off his bill, said they could only apply a credit to future charges of the account. Since I wanted to close the account immediately, giving a credit for incorrect charges

July 14th, 2017 Lacey, WA

On June 12, 2017, I contacted DirecTv regarding my future move and set up an appointment for July 1, 2017, to have a technician install equipment at the new address. On June 30, 2017, I contacted DirecTv regarding my appointment and explained the house was not ready for the technician to install services and re-scheduled for July 11, 2017 from 12p-4pm and asked the representative to add a note to let the technician to try to get to the residence as close to 4pm as they can. On July 11, 2017, my girlfriend received an email at 8:07am stating that the technician was arriving at the residence between 8:20am and 8:50am. This was unusual since the appointment was scheduled for 12pm-4pm. On July 11, 2017, at approximately 9:30, I contacted DirecTv and explained what was happening and they saw the note requesting the technician to be at the residence close to 4pm, however, they stated that the appointment was set for 8am-12pm. I explained that was obviously a mistake in scheduling, especially since the note asked for the technician to arrive closer to 4pm. The representative stated that they will “re-schedule” my appointment for the same day, July 11, 2017, for 12pm-4pm. On July 11, 2017, I left work early to be at my residence waiting for the DirecTv technician. I waited until 5pm when I called DirecTv to see where the technician was. I also went online into the DirecTv chat to speak with someone while on hold on the phone. While on the chat with representative Ryhan, I explained the situation and they stated they could again, re-schedule my appointment for still July 11, 2017, between 4pm and 6pm. I informed the Ryhan that at this time, that's only 35 minutes from now. He confirmed that the appointment is set for July 11, 2017, between 4pm and 6pm. No one showed up for this appointment either. While still on the phone, I spoke with a representative and they stated that they could only re-schedule the appointment for July 18, 2017. I explained that is not acceptable and will not work. I was eventually sent to the representative's supervisor, Brianna, who basically stated the same thing. I requested a copy of the recorded phone conversation from the June 30, 2017 conversation and she stated that she does not have access to that. I asked to be transferred to someone who does have access and she stated that she can't transfer me to anyone that would have access. I then asked to be transferred to her supervisor, which was Senior Site Manager, Brett. He again stated he does not have access to the recorded conversation and the only thing he could do is re-schedule the appointment for July 18, 2017. I again, explained that appointment does not work and Comcast would be out prior to the July 18, 2017, appointment. This phone conversation last more than 77 minutes and I was transferred around with no assistance except to re-schedule for an appointment a week later that a technician may or may not show up. I ended the conversation by getting the address to DirecTv Office of General Counsel to inform them of this situation and request a copy of the conversation. Still on July 11, 2017, at 6:30pm, I called DirecTv again to cancel my service due to the technician not showing up again from the confirmed 4pm-6pm appointment. After requesting to cancel my service with the first representative, he transferred me to another department. After once again explaining all the mistakes on DirecTv's part to the new representative, she tried to re-schedule my appointment. She also stated that I had an appointment scheduled for July 18, 2017 between 8am-2pm. I informed her that I never agreed to that appointment and that I wish to cancel my service. She then transferred me to the Loyalty Department and I spoke with Daisy. After explaining the circumstances once more, Daisy was able to give DirecTv another chance and scheduled an appointment for July 13, 2017 between 12pm and 4pm. In total, this conversation with all the representatives took more than 58 minutes. July 13, 2017, at 12:42pm, my girlfriend received an email stating that the technician was on his was and will arrive at the residence between 1pm and 1:30pm. At 1:03pm, I received a call from a DirecTv dispatcher stating that the technician is at the listed residence, but the occupants do not know me. This was my old address and I informed the dispatcher of the new address and the technician arrived shortly thereafter. Upon arriving at approximately 1:15pm, the technician, J.O., stated that he was here for technical issues. I informed him that it was supposed to be for move and complete install of the system. J.O. stated that his work order was incorrect and he had to call dispatch. He spoke with his dispatcher and stated that he couldn't perform the install due to the incorrect work order and that he would speak to his supervisor and be here at 8am to perform the install. July 14, 2017, at 8:42am, I called DirecTv to cancel my service due to consistent errors and unable to get the service installed on multiple attempts. I spoke with the first representative, Esperanza, and after having to have her repeat what she was saying multiple times due to lack of her English-speaking ability, she transferred me to Sherrie. After 15 minutes of explaining what was going on, Sherrie tried to arrange to have the installation department call me within an hour to see if there is an appointment for today. I informed her that this was unacceptable due to already having previous appointments, confirmation of the other appointments and still they did not show up. So, a phone to call to inform me of a possible appointment date and time isn't going to work and that I need to be disconnected from the service. Eventually, at 9:01am, Sherrie stated that the service was disconnected. To me, this is all unacceptable and terrible customer service. Due to the lack of follow-through and mistakes on DirecTv's part, I will be requesting to have my early termination fee waived.

July 11th, 2017

Don't get sucked in by the shiny advertisements. Everything is great until you're locked into a 2 year contract. When we contacted AT&T about moving our internet service and possibly setting up TV service at our new address they promised us the moon and have yet to deliver on any of it. We decided to go ahead and have a dish installed. We were told that if we added a new TV to our household at a later date, we could hook it up to the cable service at no additional cost, all we would need is an additional receiver. The AT&T technician who installed our dish and hooked up service at our new address reiterated the same information. Tried calling AT&T this afternoon and hung up after 25 minutes of holding. Got online and tried to set it up through the chat, was transferred 3 times EVEN THOUGH I told the first two representatives exactly where I needed to go. Had to repeat my request and provide my account information to every representative just to be told by the last rep that the only way I was getting a new receiver was for $99 plus S&H. When I advised them of the promise made to me, I was told I could try contacting the sales department to see if they had any deals. When I asked to have the cable service moved to another room, I was told to contact account management, who told me that there was nothing I could do unless I wanted to pay $99 for the visit. Then I was informed that the sports channels that I paid extra for, wouldn't work unless I purchased the accommodating package as well. Don't get stuck in a contract with these people like we did. I didn't think it could get worse than Comcast and now their customer service is looking like a dream. DON'T DO IT!

July 3rd, 2017 Sedona, AZ

Direct TV is the worst you can get. It is way over price and their programming is terrible all you get is a bunch of channels of Comercials, there is never nothing good to watch unless you want to know how to get your penis up! You have to pay extra for premium channels that are nothing but reruns, HBO shows the same movies you see on TNT. Why pay more. 155.00 a month without premium channels. For what? They offer you a low price, then max the price up for commercials. I spoke to a representative and she told me you get all these channels plus Sirius radio, I told her if I wanted to hear the radio, I would go sit in my car. You get a genie receiver and boxes for each room, then you get charged for renting them every month.very expensive when you think about it. I would not recommend this service to anyone. Hopefully if enough people cancel their service with direct tv, they will go out of business. Which is what they deserve for ripping people off!!

July 3rd, 2017

Direct TV is a rip off!! Please don't continue using this garbage. One minute their giving discounted services and the next Bill is twice the amount.

3 1

July 1st, 2017

I've bounced back and forth between Direct TV and Dish over the years, never really happy with either and switching when their customer service (or actually, lack of) pushed me too far. I've had many frustrations with Direct TV over the last few years, so I finally called to find out if my contract had expired so I could try Dish again. WOW! What a difference this customer service experience was. When the girl from another country (who was very sweet) couldn't help, she immediately transferred me to someone actually in the US in their brand-new Loyalty Department. She started with, "what don't you like about your Direct TV experience?" and addressed every issue one at a time. I even got a monthly discount for a year WITHOUT having to start a new contract. My opinion of them has changed completely, and I would now wholeheartedly recommend Direct TV! :-)

2 1

June 29th, 2017

My direct tv box broke. After being on line with them for a while (they wouldn't listen to what I was telling just kept asking same questions over that did not apply) they finally agreed box was broken. They said they would mail me a new box for $19.95. This is their equipment that broke not mine. I am under contract with them and can not cancel but in order to use it for remainder of contract I have to pay $19.95 because their box broke. They did say it was just shipping and handling but it looks like to me they should be responsible for providing working equipment.

June 26th, 2017

I initially received service from DirecTV in May 2013 and at no time was I told that I purchased a the Satellite Dish. I called to disconnect my service on 2/24/2017 and spoke to a CSR for ATT & DirecTV. I informed her that I wanted to disconnect my service on the 2/25/2017 at 5 pm. That representative was very professional, however, I asked her if someone would come and take the Satellite off of my house and she said YES. Subsequently, I asked her how will that be scheduled, her response was that I would receive a return kit in the mail to ship the items back and at that time someone would contact me to remove the satellite from my roof. Today 3/17/2017, I called to inquire about the packaging instructions, specifically because there are items that were unaccounted for. I spoke initially to a CSR Drake. I informed him that I didn't have enough boxes to mail all the equipment back. His response was okay sir, let me check for you, he then said item HR34700 is discontinued and that DirecTV no longer needs that equipment. I said okay let me get a pen and write these numbers down. I thought he was talking about the cable modems from At&T. After that I asked okay when is the earliest day that some one can come take down the satellite. That's when it became clear and things got ugly and he became the worst CSR that I have ever talked to from any company. I said wait the CSR that I spoke with told me you were taking this off my house and now you're telling me you're not? He said that's correct. I said okay so you guys lied to me. I asked him who can I talk to that can make the decision to come get this dish. He responded "we're not coming to get the dish, you take it down yourself". Things turned worse, I told him to stop talking and transfer me to a supervisor. He hung up on me. I called back the next CSR Ann, told me that I don't need to talk to her supervisor and that her manager doesn't have the authority to do anything. Yet again, not transferred to management. As of today, 26 June 2017. DirecTv has not issued the $80.00 refund they stated they were going to return. Additionally, a lady called me from the office of the President of that company and stated she was going to send me an email and that I would be able to correspond with her. That did not happen either. So, I had no way of contacting the company to inquire about the funds they were going to send me. I had 2 different sales individuals call me to reinstate service stating that they would refund the $80.00 if I would sign back up for DirecTV. When I told the first gentlement I was not interested, he said okay, sorry to bother you sir, have a great day. Then about a week ago I get a call from Alexander. I told him I wasn't interested and he would not listen. I told him that he wasn't listening and that I've already told him 10 times, literally, 10 different times that I'm not interested. He argued with me about not being interested. I asked him to remove my number from sales calls and he refused. I understand sales, however, It got so bad that I actually had to become unprofessional and eventually hang up on this guy. Customer satisfaction is not something that DirecTV prides themselves on and that is evident from the lack of follow through at the highest level of the company and the constant harassment and the lack of professionalism of the subordinate employees of the company. I will now go and write reviews on every social media site that I can find about th

June 14th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

The product is good. Reliable tv. I hate how much I pay. My promotion pricing ended and my bill almost tripled. I can never find another deal. If I ever have a question on my bill, I dread calling customer service. Takes so long to actually talk to a real person. So many fees and taxes too. Wish it was cheaper and had better customer service.