DIRECTV Logo

DIRECTV

8.4

LAST UPDATED: May 19th, 2022

DIRECTV got its start in 1990 and has since grown into a successful Fortune 100 company. The company offers over 190 full-time HD channels as well as high-speed internet and a streaming service. In a side-by-side comparison with other digital satellite providers, it holds up very well.

In June 2015, AT&T officially acquired DIRECTV, creating one of the largest television and communications companies in the world. The projections for this merger are positive for DIRECTV customers, giving them bundling opportunities on internet and phone service not available before.

DIRECTV is a digital satellite entertainment service provider that offers homeowners and businesses more than 250 channels throughout all 50 states.

Read our verified DIRECTV reviews (below) to see what other customers are saying about their service.

The Good

• DIRECTV Packages and Pricing Information
  • Genie® HD DVR and Direct Remote
  • Channel Lineup and Selection
  • DIRECTV App
  • Save Money By Bundling

DIRECTV Packages and Pricing Information

Each DIRECTV package offers a variety of channels each designed to entertain clients of all ages. Customers can enjoy hit shows, movies, sports, and more.

DIRECTV is transparent about what each package includes (even mentioning notable channels), allowing customers to make an informed decision about which package will work best for them.

SELECT™

• Price: $49.99 per month*
  • Channels: 155+
  • Notable Channels: USA, TBS, Nick, and Disney
  • Genie® HD DVR Included

*Plus taxes for 12 mos. w/ 24-mo. agreement. Autopay & Paperless bill required. Pay $40/mo + taxes until discount starts. $78/mo. in months 13-24 (subject to change).

ENTERTAINMENT

• Price: $54.99 per month*
  • Channels: 160+
  • Notable Channels: ESPN, ESPN2, FS1

*Plus taxes for 12 mos. w/ 24-mo. agreement. Autopay & Paperless bill required. Pay $45/mo + taxes until discount starts. $90/mo. in months 13-24 (subject to change).

CHOICE™

• Price: $59.99 per month*
  • Channels: 185+
  • Notable Channels: Travel, OWN, E!
  • NFL Sunday Ticket 2019 Season Included
  • 1 Year of HBO Included (at no extra charge)
  • Genie® HD DVR Included

*Plus taxes for 12 mos. w/ 24-mo. agreement. Autopay & Paperless bill required. Pay $50/mo + taxes until discount starts. $105/mo. in months 13-24 (subject to change). Regional Sports Fee up to $7.49/mo. is extra & applies.*

XTRA

• Price: $69.99 per month
  • Channels: 235+
  • Notable Channels: FX, Golf, NHL, NBC
  • NFL Sunday Ticket 2019 Season Included

*Plus taxes for 12 mos. w/ 24-mo. agreement. Autopay & Paperless bill required. Pay $60/mo + taxes until discount starts. $117/mo. in months 13-24 (subject to change). Regional Sports Fee up to $7.49/mo. is extra & applies.*

ULTIMATE

• Price: $74.99 per month*
  • Channels: 250+
  • Notable Channels: IFC, Chiller, Esquire, FXM
  • NFL Sunday Ticket 2019 Season Included
  • 1 Year of HBO Included (at no extra charge)
  • Genie® HD DVR Included

*Plus taxes for 12 mos. w/ 24-mo. agreement. Autopay & Paperless bill required. Pay $65/mo + taxes until discount starts. $128/mo. in months 13-24 (subject to change). Regional Sports Fee up to $7.49/mo. is extra & applies.*

PREMIER™

• Price: $124.99 per month*
  • Channels: 330+
  • Notable Channels: HBO®, STARZ®, SHOWTIME®, CINEMAX®
  • NFL Sunday Ticket 2019 Season Included

*Plus taxes for 12 mos. w/ 24-mo. agreement. Autopay & Paperless bill required. Pay $115/mo + taxes until discount starts. $181/mo. in months 13-24 (subject to change). Regional Sports Fee up to $7.49/mo. is extra & applies.*

Genie® HD DVR and Direct Remote

In decades past, TV plans came with one remote for one television. Now any iPhone mobile device can act as a DIRECTV remote, and viewers can watch up to four different shows in four different rooms at any given time. Android devices can be used as well. but only if they are running on at least an IOS 6.0.

The Genie HD can be used to record shows. Better yet, those shows can be recorded in HD, meaning customers can fully enjoy them without viewing them live.

The ability to view different TV channels in multiple rooms has many customers asking, "How much extra equipment will I need?" With DIRECTV, all you'll need is a Genie Mini in each additional room. Also, if you have a Samsung or Sony Direct Ready TV, you don't need any external devices to run multiple TVs through the network.

With each of the plans listed above, customers will receive a set-top box in the mail that allows them to do their own installation. Instructions for setting up your DIRECTV set-top box are sent with the package and customer support is also available.

Channel Lineup and Selection

DIRECTV has plenty of channels to offer. The TV provider has over 200 live HD channels and a plethora of movie channels. Customers can enjoy HD and 4K programming with each of its channel packages; however, you'll need to purchase a higher tier plan or upgrade to gain access to a larger variety of HD channels and premium channel options. You'll also need a 4K TV to access the 4K channels.

DIRECTV's PREMIER package gives consumers access to premium channels. If you're obsessed with HBO's Game of Thrones or if you can't miss an episode of Showtime's Billions, then this DIRECTV package is perfect for you.

Sports fans love DIRECTV because it is the exclusive TV provider for the NFL Sunday Ticket. This sports package lets consumers watch live, HD, out-of-market games every Sunday. This plan particularly appeals to football fans, but if you're a fan of another major sport, no need to panic — DIRECTV still has you covered. You can select from any of these sports packs:

• DIRECTV SPORTS PACK: CBS Sports, ESPN Classic, Outdoor Channel, etc.
  • MLB EXTRA INNINGS®: MLB Network, MLB Network Strike Zone
  • MLS DIRECT KICK
  • NBA LEAGUE PASS

Every DIRECTV channel pack has plenty of options for even the pickiest entertainment buffs. There is plenty of original content, classic movies, and sports channels for everyone. Just be sure to pick a channel lineup that satisfies your entertainment needs.

DIRECTV App

The DIRECTV App lets subscribers stream live news, sports, along with their favorite shows and movies. The app gives customers flexibility as they can decide when and where they want to watch. Users can watch live, On Demand, or download their DVR recordings to their device, to view it anywhere. The DIRECTV app comes at no extra cost, can stream on up to 5 screens at once, and uses no data when customers have AT&T wireless.

The DIRECTV App can be downloaded from the App Store or Google Play.

Save Money By Bundling

When bundling your DIRECTV Satellite TV services with other services (phone and internet service), you can save a decent amount of money. The AT&T internet plan costs $50 per month and the most basic DIRECTV package costs $35 per month. The DIRECTV and AT&T Internet bundle costs $75 per month, saving customers $10 a month. What customers get is over 155 channels, internet speeds up to 100 Mbps, over 99 percent reliability, and the professional installation fee waived — a $99 value. Customers can even sign up for a 3-month preview of HBO®, SHOWTIME®, STARZ®, and Cinemax® at no extra charge.

The Bad

• Possible Monthly Fees
  • Price Increases
  • Signal Relies on the Weather

Possible Monthly Fees

Before signing up with DIRECTV, it is essential to review the terms and conditions for each service to be sure of any additional fees or taxes. Too often, customers sign up and don't find out the terms until it's too late. Here are some possible fees a DIRECTV customer might run into:

Activation and Installation

For each of the DIRECTV packages, there is a $19.95 activation fee

While installing DIRECTV, the technician may need to make changes to a telephone line or provide extra equipment, etc. and a custom work fee may be applied. The technician should prepare a Custom Work Rate sheet to explain what was needed and the cost.

However, customers should also be aware that there is a non-activation fee. DIRECTV will charge $150 per receiver if it is not activated within 30 days of installation.

Equipment

There is an Equipment Lease Fee. The fee for the first receiver is waived; after that, each additional receiver costs $5 per month

At the end of their agreement, customers should return their equipment to avoid DIRECTV's Unreturned Equipment Fee, which can range from $55-$470 per receiver

Cancellation and Deactivation:

Customers who don't fulfill their Programming Agreements may be charged a pro-rated fee of up to $480.

There is a disclaimer at the bottom of DIRECTV's site that states there is an "early termination fee" or cancellation fee of $20 per month, for each month remaining on the TV agreement.

If a customer deactivates their service or if DIRECTV deactivates the service, there may be a charge of $15. This charge is made apart from the termination fee.

Extra Fees:

DVR Service Fee: Choosing a DVR or HD DVR receiver will automatically enroll customers in a DVR service. The cost is $6 per month, no matter how many DVR or HD DVR receivers they've selected.

HD Access Fee: For an additional $10 per month customers can receive HD channels

Late Fees: If a customer misses their monthly bill and fails to pay within the grace period, DIRECTV will charge $5 or the maximum amount permitted by law.

Price Increases

DIRECTV is known for locking customers into great promotional packages for the first year of their contract; however, once the first year of the contract is complete, year two can bring a substantial increase in monthly programming prices. While this is stated in the contract, it comes as an unwelcome surprise to many customers. A number of DIRECTV reviews mention these price hikes as one of the top frustrations with this satellite tv service. If this is a deal breaker for you, there are other service providers that offer set pricing for the length of your contract.

Signal Relies on the Weather

DIRECTV is satellite-based and is subject to all the disadvantages that come with a satellite dish: reception is at the mercy of weather conditions. Heavy storms are likely to affect the satellite connection. Weather does not affect the quality and availability of cable tv or fiber optic programming to the same extent as satellite TV service. Be prepared to deal with spotty live tv connections  as connections to local channels during considerably adverse weather.

The Bottom Line

There are plenty of reasons to consider signing up with DIRECTV.

DIRECTV offers an incredible assortment of specialty and local channels, and its initial promotional packages are hard to beat. However, be aware that after your one or two year contract is up, there will be a price hike; while this isn't unusual in the industry, this catches many customers off guard. Customer reviews did not take this lightly.

DIRECTV is the exclusive provider for the NFL Sunday Ticket. This is great for football fans who want to watch those out-of-market games, but if football isn't your game, then there are plenty of other sports packages to select from. You'll also have access to plenty of channels, so you can pick the perfect TV package. These perks make DIRECTV hard competition for a number of Satellite and Cable TV providers.

If you're looking for a TV provider that provides a plethora of HD channels, amazing sports packages, and gives you access to exclusive content, then it might be worth looking into DIRECTV.

Call our recommended rep over at DIRECTV below.

2.8

Jana Randles Stanton, TX

This is an awful company to deal with. You get people that don't know what they're doing and have to leave you on hold multiple times to ask someone else what they're supposed to do and then they nickle and dime you for everything. When the service guy set up my service, he TOOK the roku stick from my TV and the company never did anything about it. Then they gave me a remote control that had a problem with the volume button. When I tried to take care of it, they kept me on the phone for over 30 minutes and then tried to charge me for a replacement.

Bob from Willoughby Ohio Mentor, OH

Beware Direct TV charges you for services even after you cancel. My bill increased from 50.96 to 125.18 per month (because a promotion expired). I immediately called and canceled the service when I saw that bill. However, Direct TV said they could not prorate their next month’s charges based on when I canceled. As such they billed me for another full month at the high 125.18 rate even though I had canceled the service. This shows Direct TV has a business model of cheating its customers. Beware of promotions for when they come off they will make sure they get as much money from you as possible even if it means charging you for weeks after you cancel their service. Terrible company will never use again. Going to Sling TV

Warren Bakker Oak Park, IL

1. I received the email indicating that equipment had not been returned when in fact, it had been returned. I have email proof and tracking proof. 2. Once I found the correct tracking number (which was on a receipt that had the AT&T logo on it) the agent who I was talking to did not know what the tracking number meant. She called in her supervisor who also did not know what the tracking number meant. (because it had a letter in it) 3. Once I figured out what the tracking number meant (a google search) and sent that information to AT&T they finally realized that the equipment had been returned. When I asked why I got the email , I was told that everyone who cancels directv gets the email. Part of the email that I received: Unfortunately, we either did not receive your DIRECTV STREAM device(s) within the 14-day cancellation period or the device(s) you returned is damaged. In accordance with our policy, you will be charged: • A non-return fee of $120 for the device(s) included in your service • The remaining balance of $120.00 owed on your installment planThe total payment of {$120 + remaining balance} will be charged to the payment method on your account on 04/27/2022. 4. I was promised that my credit card account would not be charged. It was. I cancelled my service 3/15/2022 and returned the equipment on 3/15/2022 and I have proof of both.

terry r Las Vegas, NV

What can I say? I've once again returned to DTV after being with another carrier for a few years. DTV is probably the best internet provider out there but all of them are getting quite costly. I presently have DTV for my cable and wifi needs and they offer a pretty good deal for subscribers.

Vanessa Suarez Mission, TX

When I originally got Directv, I had a smart tv which was smarter than I was. So I asked the Direct tv guy, who came to my house in person and was an extraordinary representative, Juan C. B, to setup a small amount of channels, the ones I used the most. At that time I could only get 14, which was fine with me then. Six or more years later I needed to change because I could not record from channels I did not have in my settings. I called a few months back and a young lady said she could do it long distance, but it didn't work. I was very disappointed. Yesterday I was ready to try again and I got a young lady who was kind, patient and knowledgeable. She took the time to walk me thru and also got me some extra channels for free for 3 months. I truly appreciate the representatives who go the extra mile, because I love Directv but would probably have changed if I did not get the service I needed. I'm sorry I forgot her name, I'm old. But I'm sure you can look up my call and service provided on 2/1/2022. And I do wish you still had people to come to our home for service.

Colleen Smith Oakdale, CA

After being a Directv customer for 20+ years, and tolerating price hike after price hike, we finally decided to unplug. This was sometime around September or October. Directv had my charge card number as that was how I paid the bill. So we finished, returned our equipment, and went on our merry way. FIVE MONTHS LATER I receive a bill in the mail from a credit company stating I owe $78. I was NEVER contacted by Directv or their owner, AT&T, despite the fact that they have my home number, both mine and my husband's email addresses, both of our cell phone numbers, and my home address. Instead, they send the account of a loyal customer to a credit company FIVE MONTHS after THEY screw up by not billing the correct amount to my Visa. If this is how they treat loyal customers, there is no hope! Directv has gone steadily downhill since selling out to AT&T. Tons of perks for first time subscribers, none for loyal customers. And I don't know where they get the prices from, we were paying well over $200 for nothing special!! Prices go up and up on a regular basis! And customer service?? Instead of dealing with someone here in the US, you deal with a call center in God knows where. Although they try to be helpful, they clearly are dealing with a script and you get nowhere with them. The website is a mess with no way of reaching anyone! Do yourself a favor and watch, stream elsewhere!

Mark Moser Greeley, CO

Came home this evening, turned to one america news, Direct TV apparently dropped it today after 20 plus years of being a customer just might have to change to dish. Not sure of the reasons for dropping OAN but if is from complaints of patrons my thought is don't tune in, after all I can care less that u carry CNN but I choose not to watch it and don't mind its part of what I pay for but I am pissed they dropped a channel I watch frequently.

Nope..2021 Madison, WI

I canceled my services March 3rd. I was told by their customer service that I have a zero balance and that I don’t owe anything. I turned in my equipment on March 4th. I received an email on April 8th stating that I owe $118. I called and they said that if you cancel your account they don’t send you any bills and that they don’t reach out to you. You won’t know that you owe anything until it’s in collections. The manager told me that she’s not sure why I received an email stating that I owe money because I shouldn’t have. They are scammers. Don’t get their service.

enelson3903 Bowie, MD

I like the basic service with direct tv. The only problem is when the weather is bad, and you lose the signal. The cost of the service is reasonable, and their customer service is very helpful.

Kenneth Brooks Newburgh, IN

I liked the amount of live television stations provided by directv and the video on demand selections. I did not like how their prices increased unexpectantly and their lack of willingness to work with me on a reasonable price for their service.

Joe Balnites Canton, OH

I love my football. There service has improved we still lose picture sometimes but not like it was. Everytime we had a problem we never had a long wait. Tv at the most was out partial day

Mario Martin Montgomery, TX

DIRECTV was the first sat. service of my experience. I've always favored DIRECTV'S multiple viewing options, flexibility, and customer service. I had enjoyed DIRECTV'S viewing choice packages for years and hope to continue in the foreseeable future.

Phalda Morris Jacksonville, FL

I have had a pretty good experience with DIRECTV. Most of the time I had no issues, I was able to watch all my channels, record shows when I wasn't home, and watch shows on demand. However, sometimes during stormy weather, the connection was not great and would go in and out. Overall, I was satisfied with using DIRECTV.

Estelle Stevens Lehi, UT

I have loved my DIRECTV, it has provided me with everything I need. Our family has enjoyed all of its channels and the great rates it provides. They are always dependable and we know we can always count on them.

William Sharp Winchester, KY

I called on January 29th to cancel my service because they increased my bill by over $30. They told me that I could not cancel it because it was paid one month in advance so I would have to pay and cancel it next month. Then once it was cancelled they charged me for it again and said that I owed for last month! So I had to pay for it in February and in March when I called to cancel on January 29th. The worst thing I ever did was combine att and directtv!

Meagan Carter Lehi, UT

DIRECTV has always been so awesome and affordable. We have access to so many different channels and can watch almost anything. That make it really easy to understand.

Faith DeBoer Palm Desert, CA

While I prefer Directv over Dish, Directv seem to be going out of its way to make things costly and difficult. I have a house and I have an RV. I want a box for each so I can watch at home and when on the road (about 30% of the time) without having to move equipment back and forth. I have found that moving electronics leads to failures. To do this I have to have two accounts, one for the house and one for the RV. They won't allow you to add another box to my existing home account for the RV. Each account costs about $125 / month. You can only have one DVR per account. And, each account has to have a unique address. I only have one address. So to get a second account I have to lie about my address. Why all the hoops? Because it generates more revenue for Directv. Also, to get the second account for the RV I have to go through an outside company (Winegard) to order the equipment and set up the Directv account. To set up the account there is a $99 fee plus the postage to send me a receiver (about $150 total). Anything to separate me from my hard earned money.

J. Williams Richmond, VA

I have been a customer of Directv for over a decade. There are ups and downs. The price is always comparable to the service we receive. Sometimes our satellite goes out when it rains but I must say the frequency has declined significantly since we first signed up for service. The choices of shows to watch are limited. There are tons of channels but the truth is, most of the movies are outdated and most of the shows are either old or reality tv. We keep the service to manage our varying needs in the household so we pay for variety that we all enjoy. I recommend Directv on the customer service that they provide alone. I always feel valued and heard and there has never been a time when I have had a situation that representatives of Directv did not handle with professionalism and grace.

Nick Black Dearborn, MI

My family had DirecTV when I was a kid. I never heard them complain about billing or customer service but what did I know, I was a kid. All I knew was that it was awesome for us. We switched to Dish once and Time Warner once back then. Neither were in the house more than a couple days. Since then I’ve lived in Toledo, OH, Virginia Beach, VA, Cleveland, OH, and Detroit, MI. Having DirecTV in every location. At this point I’m wondering if the negative reviews I’ve seen are posted or paid for by competitors. I’ve never had one billing error in the past 8 years. I never needed customer service, so I can’t speak to that. I also thought it was ridiculous when I found myself smack dab in the middle of a tropical storm in VABeach watching the weather for updates on my DirecTV. The only down side I can attest to is actually having the Satellite on my property, and frankly I just don’t care.

Lydia Kantor

I've bounced back and forth between Direct TV and Dish over the years, never really happy with either and switching when their customer service (or actually, lack of) pushed me too far. I've had many frustrations with Direct TV over the last few years, so I finally called to find out if my contract had expired so I could try Dish again. WOW! What a difference this customer service experience was. When the girl from another country (who was very sweet) couldn't help, she immediately transferred me to someone actually in the US in their brand-new Loyalty Department. She started with, "what don't you like about your Direct TV experience?" and addressed every issue one at a time. I even got a monthly discount for a year WITHOUT having to start a new contract. My opinion of them has changed completely, and I would now wholeheartedly recommend Direct TV! :-)

Rebecca Denver, CO

I have had Direct TV for more than 2 years. My contract has since expired. My receiver died and they sent me a new upgraded one for just the cost of shipping. I was not required to sign a new contract. I had Dish before and had lots of service interruptions they say were due to my equipment which they wanted me to pay them a fee to work on (I was renting the equipment from them). That was not going to happen so I switched to Direct TV. The one thing I can tell you is that if you bundle your package with you telephone provider (suppose to be cheaper) lots of little extra charges show up and its never the same amount. I can not recommend bundling. Cable where I live is terrible, but I am in a very rural area. Best thing I hear about the cable is that they have the fastest WIFI speeds. I am not a gamer so anything more than dial up is fast enough for me. :)

Steve Hasenauer Norwood, MA

I've had DirecTV for nearly 15 years. Stories of weather issues are greatly exaggerated assuming you have a good install. Our experience is SEVERE weather causes an issue for 30-60 seconds tops when the storm is on the horizon, or approaching. Once storm is overhead our service is perfect. Customer support has been outstanding when we very rarely need them. Picture quality is outstanding, and the equipment is second to none. I could never dream of leaving them. Rock steady service that is worth the price. They are not the cheapest, but they are one of the few services we have that we never, ever have to think about.

Mike Bell St Louis, MO

Their customer service are lier’s so don’t trust them!! Today they told me the Loyalty dept. could wave the early cancelation fee since I was unhappy about my monthly tv bill going up to $190.14 per month. I signed up with Spectrum and called them back a few house later and was told I was told incorrectly and had to pay a $190 cancellation fee! Asked to speak to a supervisor who was no help as well. Paid the $190 and vowed to let as many people as I can how bad their customer service is. Don’t trust them!!

Keena Purce Ellicott City, MD

I paid to have direct tv installed on 12-27-21, I had my appointment canceled 5 times without being notified, when I called them to ask why no one showed up to install the equipment they said that my appointment was canceled but they couldn’t tell me the reason why. Finally on 1-19-22 I called to get a refund, I was on the phone for 2 hours after customer service made me talk to about 8 different people, finally I was told that I would be receiving a check in the mail and that money money could not be refunded back to my debit card. I have to wait for 20 days for my refund and they said that they could not give me a confirmation number for proof that I would be receiving a refund. They suck, they are a terrible company, I was told twice that a supervisor would call me within an hour but that never happened either. They sent me a bill for $135.00 but never came out to install the equipment. WOW !!!

AMOS Hodge San Antonio, TX

What I liked best about DIRECTV what is the price what I didn’t like about there service when I had problems with their equipment they were very slow about providing technical support

Sharpshooter814 Erie, PA

Terrible in many ways!! how do you come out to install the service, make up an excuse saying that the satellite can't be placed on the roof because its too "cold", show up the next week and just drive off, never even call or tell why? but charge my credit card & say that "you weren't connected to our service sir"..this company idk if they are just dumb or have a shortage of employees, but i really do understand why direct tv get the negative reviews they have. overpricing, scamming people out of the services they have been paying for years with direct tv, they deserve to get told the truth about their services because what they do to people and how they go about their services will never make sense to me. wouldn't recommend direct tv at all!!

Anne Lawton Chicago, IL

Ericel was absolutely wonderful working with my mom and me over setting up my new Roku tv. Extremely patient and pleasant. I can't say enough. She's a credit to your company.

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

I love DIRECTV because of all of the different channels that it provides! They have sport, news, kid's channels, and more all in one location. I especially love to watch a movie that happens on ABC family sometimes! And I love that I can watch almost any sport on any sports channel like ESPN or FOX sports.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I current use Direct TV and I love it. We have a huge selection of shows to watch, and you can rent and buy movies also. They also have great customer service. And when you lose service, they take the time to help you troubleshoot until you’re back and going again.

Niamul hasan Bogra, 03

Though I don't watch TV that much, my family keep watching programs one after another on tv. I've used another satellite tv service before and i found their customer service below satisfactory. But DIRECTV offers me better deals clear video quality and everything perfect. You can try this I hope you'll love it.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

DIRECTV has been the trusted TV service in my family for over 10+ years now. Directv has had its faults in the past including having really bad service connection during a storm; whether it is a small drizzle or a big thunderstorm, the services and internet connection is automatically down. Another thing about DirecTV is that when it comes to DVR and recording shows/movies, there is a limit as to how many services can be recorded at once and it also limits how many people can stream at one time; for example if my mom and I wanted to watch a recording on two different tvs, my sister and brother would have to watch DVR and not regular tv because two people are already using it.

Dwellett

We subscribed to DirecTV as a cable service from 2007-2014, and then again as a streaming service from 2018 through the change to ATT.TV in mid 2019, and then through the change to DirecTV Stream again. The cable service was generally okay and customer service was not the best though they were at least reasonably reachable. Our main issues were billing and cost for which we terminated the cable service in 2014. I hate paying for channels I do not use. I had to create a monthly item billing matrix in Excel, which then allowed me to effectively and fully understand my bill at a glance each month and for which I was then able to catch some of their errors. I am not certain if those errors were intentional or not, but I am just a hair short of being certain, and sincerely believe, that their billing statement was intentionally confusing. I believe this is because when we actually understand how and why we are being billed, we are more upset than when we do not understand why our bill is going up, because in the latter case we do not know if there is an appropriate reason for increased or changed billing. The more uncertainty, the less likely we are to challenge the item, particularly since it is a major deal to have to change our TV subscription source. The streaming service was better based on cost/knowing what we are billed for and being better tailored to what we use. However, we still do use at least 2/3 of the channels (down from 5/6ths). When you add the cost of 1gb internet which is too often necessary to get decent uninterrupted service, then I think this is no better than cable, particularly when we still get streaming and software glitches and interruptions. Glitches and issues got slightly worse with ATT.tv and now is even worse with DirecTV Stream. Anyone who has followed the cable TV issue knows that the root problem is paying for channels we do not want. It is unequivocal that the great majority want an à la carte choice. But since they get less money for that, they refuse to allow that - at least in a cost effective way. You can buy many things à la carte today, but it will cost 2-10 times as much or more and purposely so. In this way, ALL CABLE AND STREAMING OPTIONS SUCK!

Sara McCreery Brooklyn, NY

I like Direct Tv for the most part, but there are a few things that need to be addressed, like for instance when I told the guy on the phone I did not want “free” movie channels because they claim they are free but then show up on my bill for payment and they gave me the movie channels anyway. I then spent way too long trying to get it removed from my bill. It seems the more you watch certain programs, they remove the program from your package and then tell you you need to pay more money to keep the program, no I don’t think so. Also with any satellite, when it rains you loose connection, if it snows too bad you loose connection and end up having to go out and clean off the receiver.

David Cape Coral, FL

I've been with Direct TV several times, I am with them now that they are part of AT&T. Normally I don't care for AT&T products. They are way too expensive and offer little for the money you pay for it. In the past Direct had major problems but I must admit AT&T has cleaned it up. The service good and its working most of the time. The price is in line or better than other Companies offering the same product. Everything is streaming now and it appears to be stable most of the time. The channel line-up is good too, there's a lot to choose from. Thumbs up so far.

Mr. E Cheshire, CT

DirecTV is not bad. I don’t like the price hikes after your initial year of service, but I’ve been successful at getting the discounted rate to continue beyond the first year so it’s not really an issue. I’m moving soon and they asked for $200 to move my service. I refused. I don’t think this is an unreasonable fee. I mean, they have to send a guy out to install a new dish and boxes at a new location and new equipment needs to be installed and the guy that installs it has to get paid. I get it. I just don’t watch TV that much to justify paying $200 to move. But overall, I’d say that if you’re looking for good TV service and aren’t moving, get DirecTV.

Nicholas DiCrescenzo Phelan, CA

The DirecTV alone deserves a 5 Star rating because, so far, it has provided a consistent service and quality picture. The missing 5th Star is because of its AT&T ownership which has not completely integrated DirecTV into it systems platforms which results is sales calls from AT&T (frequently) to get you to sign up for DirecTV. I was an AT&T U-verse customer for many years and a Subcontractor Salesman showed up at my door from DirecTV. He made statements that were proven not to be true or accurate. The installer was also a subcontractor who charged me for installation on a pole that the Salesman said was free. It got worked out eventually but was a hassle.

Nathaniel Thomas

I have been a Direct TV customer for 18 years. Or my family has at least. We unfortunately were going to switch to dish giving the outstanding offer. I called Direct first and told them the reasoning and they understood and was rather concerned. They treated us like they cared and appreciated our business. I won't disclose the deal we agreed upon to stay but it was very reasonable. The best phone call I have ever had with a company. We're loyal to them and they proved it mattered to them.

[email protected] Houston, TX

The product Direct TV is to me perfect.I couldn't be happier.Since 1998 it has been heaven to watch and their prices that are reasonable.The only caution is.When ordering ask what company is installing it.If it is Mastec ask for someone else.If they can provide no one else I would say go elsewhere.Mastec is a poorly managed and poor trainers of their technicians.The workers are pushed and punished via commissions for anything that goes wrong.They are overbooked and usually will take shortcuts to get to the next job.If you do not have a problem with seeing wires then it may not be a problem.

Jamie Polk-Donaldson Griffin, GA

Well Comcast has refused us for 12 years and DirectTV hasn't so they get our money. DirectTV spent 6 hours at our new residence making sure cable was in every room of our even running a line to the house from across the road. They only left for lunch. At our old residence they ran a thousand foot line from the road to our residence making sure cable was in every room too. We have to use AT&T for phone and internet but get it discounted because they are both affiliated. When we see a new promotion we call DirectTV and they automatically give it to us. Yes they are a little slow out of the gate but great for the long haul. Sorry Comcast you have lost a lot of money!

gary Louisville, KY

in so few words, every encounter with a DirecTV customer service person or serviceman (except the initial install) has been great, my concern is how the ATT/DirecTV merger is affect DirecTV, i received an email earlier today to let customers that they want to take the best from DirecTV and ATT....there is no best with ATT, i had the Uverse service for 2 1/2 months and went back to DirecTV, DirecTV also offers more sport package options

Alejandro R. Nunez Miami, FL

I've been a Direct TV costumer since 2011. I've never had problems. Very good costumer service and professional technicians. They have very good deals and very good service. At home we have a HD DVR, High Definition in all rooms (3), from every room you can record and move forwards and behind all programs are live or recorded. We are very pleased with Direct TV.

Rick Froid Park Ridge, IL

Great Picture and selection of channels for the money. Hopefully you don’t have a big storm and lose your show. That’s the only downfall.

RLuff Tucson, AZ

They have more channels than you can possibly watch. DO NOT use a debt card on your account. If you fail to pay they will charge for the equipment and term in a one-time charge to your account. It could hit with hundreds of dollars coming out of your bank account at once. They are owned by AT&T and their customer service is just as bad.

Terry Foster Arkansas City, KS

Just called to cancel direct tv for my brother because he passed away.The lady on the phone tried to sell me direct tv while on the phone for an hour.If this is how they train their people it sucks. I could tell she was reading off of a script.Will never use this company

Kevin D Franklin, IN

After years of putting up with lost signals, on a frequent basis from our previous satellite provider, we made the switch to DIRECTV. It has been a great decision! Rarely do we experience lost connections and the HDTV clarity is wonderful. The only issue we have experienced was the contract dispute between our most watched local channel and DIRECTV, effectively losing this channel for weeks. I contacted their customer service department to let them know how unhappy we were. The rep I spoke to was very professional and explained that the company understood our dissatisfaction. Offered and followed through with an adjustment in our monthly billing, which eased the frustration somewhat. Again, very happy we made this change.

Michael Collins Englewood, OH

Was a Dish customer. Fell for a promotional monthly fee deal, but any perk that obe might want wasn't included because the "Hopper" wasn't included. That was an extra 100 a month which would raise my bill to more that cable. So after contract was fulfilled I tried DirecTV. They were upfront about the cost, no extra equipment needed for features one would want. Prompt customer service when i had a couple questions. NFL Sunday Ticket was included in my package for one year and it was terrific. Service did get interrupted during some snow or rainstorms. But only for a couple of minutes and then service was restored.

Julia Halliday Pleasant Grove, UT

We've had Direct TV for several years now. We get great service and are happy with all the channels currently offered except Channel 5 is no longer offered. Hopefully, Direct TV can renegotiate to get Channel 5 back. We like the parental guides with password and such, but wish we could block mature titles from showing in the listings. We dislike it when all the shows or Pg-13 and up rated shows unlock when we use our passcode to unlock the TV during locked times. Surely Direct TV can figure out a way for parents to unlock the TV during locked times without simultaneously unlocking all the parental blocks such as having to enter the password again to unlock the blocked ratings/shows. On a different note, Direct TV is quick to recover any lost signal and are great to work with. They give good yearly discounts. We are happy customers and highly recommend them.

Jim Bullhead City, AZ

They have great connections and services. But they keep upping your price after your contract is up. But they do work with you to pay off your balance if you get behind. Think they are one of the better providers.

John Bohannon Austin, TX

Switched from Dish to Directv. Was told would get $150 reward for switching. Went to enter request and reward was there but, said needed to attach copies of Dish bill. Had to request as paid auto-pay. When went in to complete when got copies of dish bill in mail, it was not there. Talked on Chat and called Directv. They said SORRY! Would not do anything. My wife had told me not to trust them and not to switch. Should have listened to her!!!!!

Tammy Ocala, FL

Trying to disconnect from Direct Tv is a nightmare! Even if you do everything correctly , if they owe you a refund , our experience is - you’ll NEVER SEE IT. Disconnected 6 months now and owed a refund of $53.63 . Did everything they asked. STILL waiting on that refund!! Have called so many times , I’m over it. Most calls took 4hrs of talking to various representatives only to be told , yup we owe you money, yup we processed a request . No we don’t know why you haven’t gotten it . Just keep waiting!