American Express (Amex) Logo

American Express (Amex)

9.4

As one of the most well-known credit issuers, American Express offers personal, business, and corporate credit cards to consumers with an array of rewards for a variety of uses.

As a more prestigious credit card issuer, American Express generally requires a good, if not excellent, credit score for approval on many of its cards. For such creditworthy consumers, American Express credit cards are a great option, providing generous rewards options, which may also require much higher fees than you would see with other credit card issuers.

If you have poor to fair credit, American Express may have some card options available for you, but you will be limited in rewards and perks.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and American Express reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Variety of Cards
  • Rewards Options
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Amex Offers and Benefits
  • Cobrand Partnerships
  • Premium Car Rental Protection
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Customer Reviews

Variety of Cards

American Express offers a variety of credit cards with various rewards, perks, and benefits. Types of cards include:

• Cash Back
  • Rewards Points*
  • No Annual Fee
  • 0% Intro APR
  • Low Interest
  • Travel
  • Airline
  • Hotel

*Many of the rewards cards have high annual fees to consider.

An array of options allows consumers to compare cards and ultimately choose the best card for their needs. It is important to note that American Express also has business credit card and corporate credit card options.

Rewards Options

American Express offers several rewards programs, cash back rewards, travel rewards, and business rewards, allowing consumers to either earn cash back, points, miles, and/or other benefits.

Offering generous rewards on a variety of cards, American Express can be a good option for creditworthy consumers who will be most able to maximize on rewards through their spending and use of the card.

Keep in mind that cards offering exclusive rewards have a much higher annual fee than you might see with other American Express credit cards, or rewards cards from other lenders. It is important to ensure that your use of the card will be worth the money spent on a card's annual fee.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

To manage and understand your credit score better, American Express offers the MyCredit Guide service.

You don't need to be an American Express cardholder to use MyCredit Guide, but you must make a MyCredit Guide account to access its services.

MyCredit Guide services include the following:

• Free credit reports
  • Credit change alerts
  • Personalized recommendations for improving your credit score
  • Credit score simulator

MyCredit Guide is free to use and will not hurt your credit score. It is important to note that this service provides you with your VantageScore by TransUnion.

Amex Offers and Benefits

All American Express credit cards come with access to Amex offers and benefits which can save you money. These offers and benefits are provided by a variety of merchants and are generally point or cash back offers when you spend a certain amount of money.

Some offers have an enrollment quota, limiting the number of cardholders who can register for that specific offer. An offer may still appear on your account even if enrollment has been filled, but you won't be able to register.

Be mindful that some offers are card-specific. If you have multiple American Express cards, make sure you keep track of which offers you've unlocked and on which card.

Cobrand Partnerships

American Express has some cobrand partnerships that are exclusive to the company, such as Delta and Hilton. These partnerships provide cardholders with access to additional benefits and perks when they use their card on expenses specific to the cobranded company.

Premium Car Rental Protection

American Express Premium Car Rental Protection is an additional insurance product offered by the company.

This program helps you save more on car rental coverage and offers the following features and coverage:

• Flat rate of $19.95/$24.95 per rental period, not per day
  • Pay only when you rent
  • Provided coverage is not subject to a policy deductible
  • Worldwide coverage
  • Up to 42 consecutive days of coverage
  • Coverage ranges from $5,000–$100,000

Liability coverage is not included.

Fraud Safeguards

American Express offers solutions to prevent fraud, including card identification verification, counterfeit detection, electronic verification, and charge authorization. Through the American Express online Security Center, you can report cases of credit card fraud, report a lost or stolen card, and learn more about how American Express protects your information and credit cards.

American Express takes your security seriously and also provides mobile wallet security and SafeKey services to protect you while shopping online.

Customer Reviews

The majority of American Express reviews on BestCompany.com are four or five stars. Customers most often highlight excellent customer service and great rewards, particularly for travel.

The Bad

• Credit Score Requirements
  • Charge Cards
  • Fees

Credit Score Requirements

Many American Express credit cards require a good to excellent credit score to qualify. This may not be attainable for all borrowers, and we would recommend that low credit borrowers look elsewhere for a credit card, at least to compare offerings with American Express.

American Express' high credit requirement is due to the exclusive rewards offered with some of its cards, which is also an indication of higher annual fees.

Charge Cards

Some cards offered by American Express are charge cards not credit cards.

Charge cards and credit cards are similar in use, but a charge card has no spending limit and cardholders are generally expected to pay their bill in full each month, whereas a credit card cardholder can just pay the minimum balance. Although charge cards don't have a set credit limit, that does not mean that they offer unlimited spending.

The following American Express cards are considered to be charge cards:

• Platinum card
  • Gold card
  • Green card

Make sure that you know the rates and terms of the card you are applying for, as you wouldn't want to end up with a charge card when you actually want a credit card.

Fees

Depending on the card, American Express can charge some of the most expensive annual fees in the industry. However, as with many credit card companies, the first year might have no annual fee.

American Express charges a late payment fee of $38 on any unpaid amount. A late payment may also result in a penalty APR.

While some companies in the industry do not charge a foreign transaction fee, American Express charges one, which can be inconvenient for frequent travelers.

The Bottom Line

American Express credit cards are a great option for consumers with an established credit history, generally maintaining excellent credit. Offering various travel rewards cards, American Express may also be one of the best options for frequent travelers. However, American Express does offer a variety of cards meant for everyday purchases that may be a better option for some consumers.

American Express offers cash back, points, and miles rewards, in addition to membership rewards points, but some of the rewards cards have very high annual fees.

Based on customer reviews, we would recommend looking into American Express for your credit card needs, especially if you are looking for generous and exclusive rewards options.

Call our recommended rep over at American Express (Amex) below.

Shirley Simolari

I've never been disappointed with a call to American Express! I've called while traveling with a family member in an extreme emergency, had to increase my credit line for a private jet in case my travel insurance didn't cover it! My line was increased in less than 5 minutes. My credit card was compromised a few times at no fault of mine and they handled everything to a T. I've called many times with questions the attendants on the phone are quick to answer, never a long wait, knowledgeable, they don't try to sell me anything and they make sure my questions are resolved. What more can you ask for?

Taylor Larson Bangkok, 10

I liked how easy it was to get in contact with customer support whenever I had problems with my card.

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

AMEX used to be synonymous for customer service and perks. However, these qualities have gone down over the years. Their Blue card is no annual fee with cashback at 3% for groceries. Email status is great. You have to monitor your rewards, because special incentives are not always posted.

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

#1 in Customer Service! There are never long wait times, they always serve with the highest degree of professionalism, the first person who answers can always solve your issues (no getting transferred from agent to agent) and excellent fraud management services.

Greg Francis Saratoga Springs, UT

Amex provides the best user experience of all my credit cards. I always know that when I have an issue, when I need to review a bill or charge, that Amex will give me the benifit of the doubt, and work with me, even if it is my error. Website is user friendly, mobile app is convenient, and my business points and personal points all come together!

Dave Marlowe American Fork, UT

I had American Express credit card for many years I’ve used it while traveling abroad and make purchases locally I find it there cashback and Sanners is well worth using the card

Mary Alice M. Orem, UT

I've loved my American Express card mostly for the rewards I've gotten from using the card. We love our points! I also have appreciated their customer service. Even though there are really long wait times, I feel like they are always very helpful.

Mike Salt Lake City, UT

Best credit card company out there. I've been with them for 20 years. They're costumer service is the best. Had an issue once where I rented a car with my Amex and got in a wreck. They were easy to work with and solved it no problem

Tommy McCarlie Chicago, IL

Amex has always been a great card with great benefits. My only complaint is they lost their deal with Costco. I don't know who is responsible for that but if you're reading this Amex please go to Costco and beg for mercy -- you deserve better -- you're not supposed to be like the other Credit Cards.

McKenzie Logan, UT

I had a dispute on my credit card with a business that overcharged me for their services. I called AE and explained my situation. They immediately took the charges off my account and then got their team involved to work with the charging company. AE did all the leg work internally and only called me to ask some questions about the situation. Other than that, I never heard anything about it.

Janet Lucas Ellicott City, MD

I love my card and all the rewards with so many great restaurants. Awesome customer service

turner2001 Santa Clara, CA

I've been using AMEX for about 20 years. The best thing I can say about AMEX is that they've got your back. Unlike most credit card companies who usually side with the merchant when there's a charge dispute, AMEX usually takes the consumers' side during a charge dispute. That often results in a positive outcome for the consumer. AMEX often doubles warranty policy when using their card, and gives you car insurance coverage for rentals. AMEX has a very good free card, and though it only pay 1% back to you, the fact that they have your back is the main reason I use AMEX for most of my purchases. In my opinion, I unhesitatingly endorse AMEX.

Beau Chandler Chicago, IL

I have used Amex for a good few years now and have yet to have any major problems that couldn’t be resolved via assistance. Great service!

Jun Chen Rockville, MD

I have a good experience to use American Express card. It is safe to use even in outside of USA and the transaction fees are low. I also have a good experience for its custom services.

Cyd Vernon Collierville, TN

Been a customer for 15+ years, great loyalty and when I had someone make charges on my card because of fraud, Amex caught it, paid the amounts and sent me a new card the next day. Love this company and use them everyday!

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

I've been an AmEx user for over 30 years! It has been my Corporate Card for three different companies. I also have Delta Card which gives me free luggage. I'm very happy with AmEx and the ability to get points from all my different cards, even the Corp Card is a big bonus. There is a small fee but it is worth it for the points.

Amy McCarlie Orem, UT

We got this American Express card because of the points! We have tons of flyer miles and its been so great! Customer service is just the best! They are always so helpful with what we need!

Tara Bindrup Smithfield, UT

I have been an American Express card user for over 20 years! I love the Delta flight card which earns you points and the benefit of one free bag with the purchase of a delta ticket for up to six people in your flight party. If I ever have a fraudulent charge they are quick to resolve and refund.

Gioacco

I called to tell them about an upcoming large expense. It was a terrible expense, as my mom passed on and I had an unexpected funeral expense. The customer service rep. let me have a lower rate of 1.9% for all expenses on my AMEX card for the next 9 months to help me make ends meet in my budget. I am very thankful for the kindness and compassion of the people at AMEX.

Devon Neil

Roadside assistance is included at no extra cost. It has many other perks and it truly makes it a piece of mind instead of it just being a ordinary, everyday credit card. Customer service is always polite, ensure the security of my card stay up to date, solve any issues I may have and ensure that I have a competitive interest rate. I have to admit that I was a skeptical customer at first but I'm a very proud user of my AMEX card and I highly recommend that everyone give them a try.

Jen Paxman Lehi, UT

I am fairly new to American Express. I have one of the Delta cards and I absolutely love it. The airline benefits are amazing, and have made it so we can take our family of 5 to Hawaii and not have to pay for a single ticket!!! Their customer service is so amazing to work with and are always kind and helpful. It is very easy to pay my bill online as well. I would, and do, recommend this card to anyone looking for a great airline card.

Laura Howard Brooklyn, NY

My first AMEX card was in 1994, then I got the Delta Skymiles AMEX card just over a year ago. I have so many positive experiences it would be impossible to list all here, but in summary, AMEX have ALWAYS been there for me when I have had issues with vendors. The app is easy to use, the website is easy to use and customer service is absolutely wonderful.

ps2os2 Chicago, IL

When it is needed to call the AMEX people you are treated nicely and when they answer the phone you do not have to repeat your card number as they have a system that identifies you as a legit caller and the people you talk too are reasonable . There was a time when AAA double charged me for a battery replacement and they saw it immediately and reversed the charge. Sadly AAA dropped AMEX soon after that.

Adam Floyd Morrison, CO

I have the AMEX platinum card which is great for business and personal travel. While pricey, I always feel that I come out ahead. They reimburse travel expenses related to baggage, Uber, global entry, and others. In addition, I automatically get status at hotels, car rentals, etc. While I earn status on many of these already, some of them I only use on as needed basis. Their concierge service is wonderful. I have used them to obtain tickets and restaurant reservations in various cities and well as provide recommendations.

Dale Ash Sandy, UT

This is a great company. They offered an American Express card as soon as I had my first job. I've been with them ever since. I did switch to a Delta American Express card. I like the mileage rewards. I also get a free companion ticket voucher every year. They are very responsive when you call. I appreciate the ability to categorize and evaluate your expenditures by purchase area. Their service professionals are always very friendly and helpful.

Thomas Taylor Salt Lake City, UT

Well, American Express is a straight forward, well recognized card that has always been accepted everywhere with no questions asked. One time when there was a mistake on our monthly statement, a single phone call cleared it up in our favor with an apology from the company. Additionally, our card is a full AmEx card under a Delta Sky Miles plan that gives up credit for flights on Delta with every use!

Christopher Milke Olney, MD

Widely accepted and travel coverage is a bonus. Highly recommend.

Bethany Rockville, MD

I like American Express’s customer services-they are patient, helpful and friendly.

Vlad Golden Hazlet, NJ

American Express has one of the best customer service programs. Their fees may be on the high side to some, but I assure you, you can get the value out of those fees. From their frequent flyer programs, to car rental insurance, to shopping discounts etc, they constantly are providing value for the money you pay them. Their customer service generally has very low hold times, and if you are satisfied with anything, they take the risk on to themselves while they investigate your claimes

STEVEN A TILLETT Pearland, TX

I have been an American Express card holder since 1978. In my 42 plus years Amex has never ever disappointed me. Our relationship has been mutually beneficial and continues to evolve even under the worst of circumstances.. Kudo's to the fine Folks at Amex. Be safe, stay healthy and keep helping all your loyal card members as you've done for all these years.

Ian F. Hattiesburg, MS

AMEX is my favorite credit card. I use two of them: the Hilton Honors AMEX and the AMEX Platinum. The Hilton Honors AMEX is my go-to card, because it gets me all kinds of points which I turn around and use at hotels. It comes in really handy whenever I'm on a small family trip or moving from one city to another, which I tend to do as an active duty military member. I like the AMEX Platinum card because it gives me free lounge access in select airport lounges. This is really helpful when I'm looking to let my hair down in an airport, it's quieter than the standard terminal, and the facilities are generally better and cleaner, and then there's the free drinks, fruit, sundries, and wifi.

Steve Anderson Lindon, UT

I've been pleased with American Express. I have had my card for several years now. I use my American Express to pay ALL of my bills and other purchases. I've never had to pay late fees or penalty fees so I don't know what that part of the game is like. I make it a point to pay my monthly bills on time and 100%. If you can do that without fail, then they are a good card to have. For me, I like the frequent flier miles and the free baggage I get with my Delta American Express. What I get from that card makes the year fee worthwhile. I have run into only a few places that won't take this card, but I always carry another card with me in case I run into a store that won't take my American Express.

Cate Jackson

Benefits are amazing and although they have a yearly fee, the points and benefits still make it worth it.

Chris Milke Olney, MD

Love the platinum card rewards and acceptability worldwide. Service fee could be waived at lower levels for regular users of the card. Traveler insurance is also a plus.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

We have been using amex since the 70s and its our most used card still. They have great customer service and great policies on working with merchants and insuring items.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

We love our Delta SkyMiles card. For a couple of years it’s no longer been accepted at Costco, but that’s been the only real downside! This is my go-to credit card.

Jared Provo, UT

My limited experience with American Express has been good for the most part. I have the Delta credit card, and my only complaint so far is that the value of a SkyMile isn't as readily accessible as I would like.

Jennifer Ashby Lehi, UT

I have been pleased with my AMEX cards. I have been able to earn great rewards. The only downside is that you sometimes can’t use them everywhere. They have resolved any issues that I have had.

Dayna Brown Logan, UT

We got an Amex card after moving across the country, far away from family & friends. We wanted to take advantage of the perks they offer and it did NOT disappoint! We've been able to exchange our points for flights several times. When you travel frequently, an Amex card is a MUST!

Teri M. Logan, UT

I like the perks that American Express offers it's customers. My American Express card gives me more cash back than any other credit card I have. I pay my card off each month so I don't pay finance charges so I don't have a review about that.

Nathan Justis Smithfield, UT

AmEx has been amazing for us. We got shafted by Norwegian Air a year or two ago and AmEx refunded us for plane tickets when Norwegian Air would not. I've been with AmEx many years and want to stay with them for many more.

Jill Hunsaker Logan, UT

I love my American Express card. It helps us not get into debt because we pay it off monthly. It also has bonus points which is how we have gotten some fun things like camera etc.

Dale Howe Logan, UT

I've used American Express since I was in college. They're globally recognized and trusted. Using their card gives me extra confidence and protection as a consumer. Love their Delta Sky miles program too!

Crystal Logan, UT

I use this card as my main credit card. It is connected to my delta account and allows me to use the points for travel with my husband. It has fraud coverage and has good customer service.

Nichole Hiatt Eagle Mountain, UT

I have been a Hilton AMEX cardholder for about 10 years now, and I love the benefits the card gives me. One trip when we were out of the country, we had some problems with using the card and customer service was able to give us a temporary card number to use until we got home.

James Conder Eagle Mountain, UT

I currently have an American Express Credit Card that I've had for a few years. Unfortunately for me I had some emergency things hit me all at once and caused my balance to jump higher than I would have ever liked. I'm always on time with my payments and just would wish that a valued customer as myself for the past few years would be eligible for a interest rate decrease since I'm never late on my payments

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

American Express is a world class experience. There is no better credit card. High end service, acceptability at millions of locations, safe transactions with high class service and support. It does not get any better than with American Express, the icon in the credit industry.

Yolanda Briganti Riverton, UT

I've had a Gold AMEX card since 2014. I love how the website keeps track of the spending. We got the card to use the points for airline travel. The only downside is that very small businesses don't take AMEX because of the fees they are charged.

Aaron Paxman Lehi, UT

I currently have an American Express credit card. It was easy to obtain without much hassle. I have enjoyed the perks and points that I earn with this card. Website where I applied for the card was user friendly and I was able to chat with a rep as well who guided me through the process.

Nicole S. Pleasant Grove, UT

AMEX has answered all my questions when I have called on my newly opened account. I had questions on balance transfers which has a 0% balance trasfer fee. The customer service was great and done in a timely manner. It did take a few extra days to get the physical card, but nothing to worry about.