1. American Express (Amex)

Founded in 1850 and headquartered in New York, American Express offers financial services such as credit cards and insurance.

#1 Capital One chevron_right
#3 Discover chevron_right

The Good

• Competitive APRs
  • Rewards Program
  • Fraud Safeguards

Competitive APRs

American Express offers credit cards with introductory rates of 0 percent for the first six to twelve months. After that, it offers rates competitive within the industry.

Rewards Program

American Express offers several rewards programs, cash back rewards, travel rewards, and business rewards.

Fraud Safeguards

American Express offers solutions to prevent fraud, including card identification verification, counterfeit detection, electronic verification, and charge authorization. Visit Site

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalty
  • Foreign Transaction Fee
  • No Free Credit Score

Annual Fees

Depending on the card, American Express can charge some of the most expensive annual fees in the industry. However, as with many credit card companies, the first year might have no annual fee.

Late Payment Penalty

American Express cardholders can expect a late payment penalty that is comepetitive within the industry.

Foreign Transaction Fee

While some companies in the industry do not charge a foreign transaction fee, American Express charges one, which can be inconvenient for frequent travelers.

No Free Credit Score

Unfortunately, American Express does not provide its customers with free credit score tracking.

The Bottom Line

American Express offers competitive APRs, several rewards programs, and a number of fraud safeguards. However, the company charges annual fees, late payment fees, and foreign transaction fees. Additionally, American Express does not provide free credit score monitoring.

Lola Reightle

July 13th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

availability every where very helpul if cant make payment on time. they will work with you.

Harold Johnson

July 13th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They offer a plan it payment option to handle large bills.

Raul Villaronga

July 13th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

One thing I dislike is their fees, it high.

Abram Nicholson

July 13th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been with Amex for several years and i am very pleased with American Express and the customer service are professional.

Shirley Simolari

July 8th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've never been disappointed with a call to American Express! I've called while traveling with a family member in an extreme emergency, had to increase my credit line for a private jet in case my travel insurance didn't cover it! My line was increased in less than 5 minutes. My credit card was compromised a few times at no fault of mine and they handled everything to a T. I've called many times with questions the attendants on the phone are quick to answer, never a long wait, knowledgeable, they don't try to sell me anything and they make sure my questions are resolved. What more can you ask for?

Cate Jackson

July 8th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Benefits are amazing and although they have a yearly fee, the points and benefits still make it worth it.

Taylor Taylor

July 8th, 2020 Los Gatos, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had an American Express card since I was in college - many many years ago, and have never received anything other than great service.

Vlad Golden

July 7th, 2020 Hazlet, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

American Express has one of the best customer service programs. Their fees may be on the high side to some, but I assure you, you can get the value out of those fees. From their frequent flyer programs, to car rental insurance, to shopping discounts etc, they constantly are providing value for the money you pay them. Their customer service generally has very low hold times, and if you are satisfied with anything, they take the risk on to themselves while they investigate your claimes

AndyGrimes

July 3rd, 2020 Short Hills, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So good, I really enjoyed their unique benefits and points. This is the only card that gives me major deals on certain stuff like paying bills or discounts on electronics and clothing.

Nicole Richman

July 2nd, 2020 Pearland, TX

Most of their cards are pricey, and don't really pay for themselves unless you're a really big spender.

STEVEN A TILLETT

July 2nd, 2020 Pearland, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been an American Express card holder since 1978. In my 42 plus years Amex has never ever disappointed me. Our relationship has been mutually beneficial and continues to evolve even under the worst of circumstances.. Kudo's to the fine Folks at Amex. Be safe, stay healthy and keep helping all your loyal card members as you've done for all these years.

TommyT

July 1st, 2020 Flower Mound, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

American Express is all about the vendor and not very customer (consumer) focus. We basically got scammed and called AMEX to cancel the card and switch. After they sent us the new card, AMEX still allowed the scammer to make charges to the NEW card!! what was the whole point of canceling the old card if you are going to allow them to continue charging the new card? I had to contact the attorney general to get the matter resolved. AMEX is all about letting merchants charge all sorts of fees and then go after the consumer no matter if its correct or not. After a quick search, I discover there was a big class-action lawsuit against American Express. PLUS this is the worst credit card to get as MOST merchants don't take it. Never again!

Emanuel Odums

June 29th, 2020 Marietta, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are quick to response to any question or situation that you may have

Johnson3307

June 27th, 2020 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was given an American Express serve card as a promotion with T-Mobile I had $200 credit on it and I’ve had the card for more than 10 years now. It was my first “reloadable credit card” and I still have and use it today! Great service and never charge me any fees.

STEVEN A TILLETT

June 26th, 2020 Pearland, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They're the best customer focused organization in the world.

Sherri Buff

June 23rd, 2020 Forest City, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve always have been sat with American Express. I like getting an email when my card is used without being present. Makes me feel safe.

Al Cormier

June 23rd, 2020 Rockford, IL

Very supportive when there is an issue. Card works throughout the world. Great at replacing when lost.

Kim

June 22nd, 2020 , NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Nice rewards card that you can redeem for every $2500.00 you spend. You can either get a gift card or apply the $25 to your card payment. Really good customer service too. Never had a problem with them.

turner2001

June 21st, 2020 Santa Clara, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been using AMEX for about 20 years. The best thing I can say about AMEX is that they've got your back. Unlike most credit card companies who usually side with the merchant when there's a charge dispute, AMEX usually takes the consumers' side during a charge dispute. That often results in a positive outcome for the consumer. AMEX often doubles warranty policy when using their card, and gives you car insurance coverage for rentals. AMEX has a very good free card, and though it only pay 1% back to you, the fact that they have your back is the main reason I use AMEX for most of my purchases. In my opinion, I unhesitatingly endorse AMEX.

Zacharias Tomson

June 19th, 2020 Vancouver, BC

Good but not great. For some reason when it came to "special days" some transactions fail and even the same people would have to inform me that their servers went down.

leticia Thomas

June 18th, 2020 Fredericksburg, VA

Overall a good credit. It’s nice feeling to have one and they do offer exemplary customer service. There are several perks to having one

Ra Pars

June 17th, 2020 Sacramento, CA

I have been with this company for about 10 years. Still using their card and I get credit for travel so it's a win

Ian F.

June 17th, 2020 Hattiesburg, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

AMEX is my favorite credit card. I use two of them: the Hilton Honors AMEX and the AMEX Platinum. The Hilton Honors AMEX is my go-to card, because it gets me all kinds of points which I turn around and use at hotels. It comes in really handy whenever I'm on a small family trip or moving from one city to another, which I tend to do as an active duty military member. I like the AMEX Platinum card because it gives me free lounge access in select airport lounges. This is really helpful when I'm looking to let my hair down in an airport, it's quieter than the standard terminal, and the facilities are generally better and cleaner, and then there's the free drinks, fruit, sundries, and wifi.

Alex

June 17th, 2020 Knoxville, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Amex! I have the Hilton Honors card (No Fee) and got a superb bonus when beginning. I've had no issues at all. It's super easy to link to my bank account to pay my bill monthly and I can't wait to begin using my points to stay at Hilton properties.

Ron Murrey

June 17th, 2020 Clovis, CA

Have savings accounts with them. Amex pays the highest dividends of any credit card company or bank. Website is very user friendly and helpful.

Eddie Cox

June 16th, 2020 Germantown, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have had Amex for 40 years.......best customer service on the planet. Everyone should have an American Express card.

Beachnut The Cajun Camper

June 15th, 2020 Mandeville, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had an AmEx when I first got out of high school. The scary thing was: No monthly statement. The good thing was: No monthly statement. I made a single purchase of about $900. Paid it off the next month. Easy peasy.

Aziz Benamar

June 15th, 2020 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

American Express is accepted globally and allows flexibility. American Express fees are very high

Blake Beverage

June 11th, 2020 Rockville, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

American Express is my favorite credit card company! The customer service is unmatched compared to others and they offer the best perks.

Rickey

June 8th, 2020 Lehi, UT

I've had AmEx for 14 years. They've never done me wrong. I do hear they're tough on people who go into collections, so there is that to consider if you have a potential for it. However, if you pay on time they're great. They have awesome deals / rewards and their rates are pretty standard.

Lifeadon

June 7th, 2020 Chicago, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They sent me a card with the wrong name and they wouldn’t fix it so I canceled it...

Mike Nicastro

June 6th, 2020 Haines City, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Being a AMEX member since 1978 I can say that customer support has always been great and been able to use my card everywhere.

Southernprof

June 5th, 2020 Atlanta, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amex credit card have the best rewards and customer service. We landed in Spain and our regular bank card was not accepted. We really needed to access cash. I emailed a friend and she reminded me we had Amex. They go cash in our hands within an hour. Their travel services are fantastic and they have lots of added perks and bonuses that save you money on things you buy. I recently got 20$ back on a Chewy.com purchase and 20$ back on a SOMA purchase. The money is credited to your account immediately. You don't have to wait months to get your bonus.

LifeOn Adventure

May 30th, 2020 Newport, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Several years ago I was shopping at Macy's and was offered a chance to apply for the American Express credit card. I was approved very quickly and received a nice discount for the purchased I made that day. I have not had any problems with my card, or the service provided, since I opened my account.

D Wed

May 29th, 2020 Tempe, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amex as a credit card is great regarding rewards and benefits. The customer service is top notch.

Jennen

May 28th, 2020 , CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Thank you Amex. Keep sending us points. I like your App, easy to navigate through.

Dipal Shah

May 27th, 2020 Milltown, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

just too good. never ever have any problems. they cover everything right away with just one call or email. using it since more than 20 years.

brock williams

May 24th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been an American Express Business credit card holder for 15 years. I've had a lot of credit cards, both for business and personal accounts, with different companies, and Amex is hands down the best. When I've had vendors not deliver the products I paid for, Amex has refunded the amount I paid quickly and easily. They also have an incredible rewards program which I've used quite a bit, redeeming points for travel and other perks. I still have multiple business credit cards with Amex, and I plan to continue to have those accounts long into the future.

Ulyssis

May 23rd, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Feel very secure when using this credit card. If you have a question they are always very helpful

Alejandro DE Jesus

May 22nd, 2020 San Antonio, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

AMEX provides clients like me with winning edge over discounts and cash back promos that I in turn to purchase more. I get encouraged with discounts and cash back because they practically stretch my money for purchases.

abe fried

May 21st, 2020 Bensalem, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great product and service. always ready to help us with questions regarding the accounts we have with them.

Lisa Miller

May 21st, 2020 Lewisville, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a personal card and corporate card. I find it very easy to do business with American Express especially when calling their customer service line. The only thing I didn't like was that they changed the format of the Account page but there is a button you can click to go back to the old version. I like the older version better.

Christopher Criollo

May 21st, 2020 Orlando, FL

I have been an American Express customer for the past 20 years, they provide excellent customer service and rewards program!

Devin Cutter

May 19th, 2020 Long Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am a new customer to American Express, but so far am very happy with the product and rewards that I receive from the card. I currently have Delta Platinum SkyMiles card with Amex, which is a great compliment to the Delta SkyMiles I earn while traveling. Although this year I have not traveled as much as I have in previous years due to the global pandemic, this has not stopped me from earning miles on expenses that I will be able to bank for later. For me, the perks offered through the card are more than worth the annual membership fee. The website and apps or very easy to use and understand. It's easy to pay my bill, track my rewards, and see all the additional services and discounts I'm eligible for all within the app. For anyone that travels frequently, I would highly recommend becoming an Amex member.

cosandral cooper

May 8th, 2020 Columbus, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I don’t have a problem with them just to get a card with Amex is a blessing to all because everyone would like there card. I haven’t been to many places that don’t take the card. Everybody don’t get this card. But if you pay like you suppose to do you don’t have a problem with them. I love them.

mary

May 8th, 2020 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love this card. They are insured, easy to contact, and despite many people's perceptions, I can use it in 95% of the places I shop!

Jean van der Sommen

May 5th, 2020 Cumming, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have had a credit card for over 25 years. They email me when I purchase but don't present my card. They have contacted me with questionable purchases with have sometimes been fraudulent and sometimes legally done. Customer service is always responsive and courteous.

Catt Jones

April 30th, 2020 Stockbridge, GA

I use the prepaid card which give you options to direct deposit employee check. It comes with a feeeach transaction so be on the lookout and balance each use.

Angel Ruiz

April 29th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love American Express. Keep giving us good points on our purchases. 20,000 more and I will be able to go for a vocation with my wife.

Fair and unfair loyalty program

April 17th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amex out sources a lot of its customer service. Hard to understand the personnel speaking to you with broken english. They rewards program use to be better. They don't offer reduced interest rates during difficult times like today.