American Express (Amex)

American Express (Amex) Logo

8.9

American Express (Amex)

American Express offers APRs ranging from 0 to 25.24 percent*

Founded in 1850 and headquartered in New York, American Express offers financial services such as credit cards and insurance.

The Good

• Competitive APRs
  • Rewards program
  • Fraud safeguards

Competitive APRs

American Express offers credit cards with introductory rates of 0 percent for the first six to twelve months. After that, rates range from 13.24 to 25.24 percent*, which is competitive within the industry.

Rewards Program

American Express offers several rewards programs, cash back rewards, travel rewards, and business rewards.

Fraud Safeguards

American Express offers solutions to prevent fraud, including card identification verification, counterfeit detection, electronic verification, and charge authorization. Visit Site

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalty
  • Foreign Transaction Fee
  • No Free Credit Score

Annual Fees

Depending on the card, American Express charges annual fees up to $450, which is one of the steepest fees in the industry.

Late Payment Penalty

American Express cardholders who make a payment late will be charge a fee of up to $38.

Foreign Transaction Fee

While some companies in the industry do not charge a foreign transaction fee, American Express charges a fee of 2.70 percent for foreign transactions, which can be inconvenient for frequent travelers.

No Free Credit Score

Unfortunately, American Express does not provide its customers with free credit score tracking.

The Bottom Line

American Express offers competitive APRs, several rewards programs, and a number of fraud safeguards. However, the company charges annual fees, late payment fees, and foreign transaction fees. Additionally, American Express does not provide free credit score monitoring.

Troy Millett
August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

I have had an American Express Skymiles card (with Delta) for probably around 13 years or more. I appreciate earning miles for travel and the companion fare ticket I get each year. The annual fee ($100 or $120) seems a bit steep though. I also like the free checked bags with my card.

Kim Millett
August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

We have always loved our American Express card that gives us Delta Skymiles. We have had our card now for 15 years. We get a free companion fare ticket each year. We usually use this on our yearly cruise. The only bummer is when Costco stopped accepting this card. We love the miles.

Lesa Burgess
August 20th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I own an American Express Delta SkyMiles Credit card and I love it. I make all of my Delta purchases on this card so I receive double miles. I do wish that owning this basic card would get you in the Delta lounges at certain airports. I certainly love the yearly companion ticket, which my wife & I use for our annual vacation. 5 stars!

Catherine Taliulu
August 20th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Their mobile app is very user friendly. Product is great.

Jodie Larson
August 17th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I had a Costco AmEx for many years and I loved their cash back rewards program! They were very on top of monitoring my account and alerting me about potential fraud and verifying questionable purchase, some of which did turn out to be fraudulent. They always took care of the issue and replaced my card quickly with little disruption to my life. The only reason I have a 4 star review is because AmEx is not accepted everywhere that Visa and Mastercard are.

James Nelson
August 2nd, 2018 Falls Church, VA

Using AMEX has been a pleasure. The perks and the benefits are second to none!

Sarah
August 2nd, 2018 Fairfax, VA

They have some great credit cards that I have used through the years. Their cashback program is easy to use, they have some great deals throughout the year when you use your card and overall I am pleased with their service.

jordan cummins
August 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Screws you over with interest rate and fees. Doesn't give as much of limit as others also.

Holly Nelson
July 27th, 2018 Universal City, TX

Great points system, awesome deal for military.

Karen Nelson
July 27th, 2018 Alpine, UT

My favorite thing about American Express is that when you lose a card, they have a new one for you the very next day. They also have always covered expenses of stolen cards. I like that everyone takes the card around the world.

Frederick Nelson
July 26th, 2018 Universal City, TX

I have the american express travel and it's fantastic. I love the amextravel platform for finding flights as well. The benefits are great and customer service fantasic. Also have been willing to help out on extended warranty issues as well. It is my main credit card for a reason. I also enjoy the centurion lounge access at airports.

Anne Kimball
July 23rd, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

When I had an American Express card they always had good deals with other companies. I one time got $10 off of a Forever 21 purchase just because I had an American Express card! I loved those perks. It is a little annoying though that not all places took Amex. I know more and more places are taking them, but I always had to have another card on me just in case, which is something I've never had to be worried about with my Visa.

Marilyn Greer
July 23rd, 2018 Saint George, UT

This card is good to have but they never offer 0 interest.

Tanner Hales
July 19th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Benefits are awesome. So long as you are a good customer and pay your bill, customer service is pretty good. Especially great for businesses.

Shane Rodney
July 19th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

Love ability to earn rewards by daily purchases. Pay it off every month to avoid charges.

Kaleb Herbert
July 9th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Great card and love the customer service. Just wish I could use it everywhere , too limited on stores who accept Amex.

Robert Singleton
July 6th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

AMEX's customer service is the best of any credit card company I deal with. I have had issues with my card being accepted at certain establishments and wish AMEX had more card offerings.

Amy Singleton
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Fabulous customer service but not accepted a lot of places. Had our card for 20 plus years I just wish we could use it everywhere

Amy Stewart
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We love our American Express card!! We used it with Costco for many years. The customer service is friendly and helpful when needed.

Troy Siren
June 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Have been a loyal card holder for years. Have been able to use the card around the world without any concerns or problems.

Diana Melnyk
June 25th, 2018

I am not currently using an Amex card, but did for years when it was accepted in Canada by Costco. I felt is was a good card with great perks.

Daniel Coburn
June 18th, 2018 DETAILS

Worst company around for how they treat their customers

Stan Burg
June 18th, 2018 DETAILS

Their phone contact service is terrible. Kept repeating a representative will be with you in less than a minute but after 15 minutes I hung up.

M Anderson
June 18th, 2018 DETAILS

Good rewards program fairly low interest rates

Mohamed
June 18th, 2018 DETAILS

Reliability, outlet all over the world and customer servicd

June 18th, 2018 DETAILS

outstanding service. goes the extra mile for long term customers.

intelly-gent.com
June 18th, 2018 DETAILS

excellent customer care,upgrades at earliest to suit the needs of the customers, card imits are great when compared to so many other cards

Pia Mike
June 18th, 2018 DETAILS

Excellent rates and customer service. I love the immediate availability of a payment

Thomas
June 18th, 2018 DETAILS

Ease of use, friendly service, convenient locations, good rstes

Patrick Goetz
June 18th, 2018 DETAILS

Excellent customer service! Always on time and I love their reward points that connect with Amazon.

John M Stanley
June 18th, 2018 DETAILS

When we needed some help with our card, their customer service was just outstanding! They helped us get back on track and took care of our issues - someone else got our card number and the account was closed immediately, no cost to us for any purchases, and new card issued immediately and sent out the next day. Excellent card!

Rafael
June 18th, 2018 DETAILS

Great security service and customer care and advertising product

Erline Belton
June 18th, 2018 DETAILS

they keep a close eye on charges and they monitor the account and notify me of any unusual charges

SERGIO LOPEZ
June 18th, 2018 DETAILS

Service value on perks points ease of view of charges

Jani Crawley
June 12th, 2018 New York, NY

Dont love the yearly fee, but I love all the perks. Like the insurance on rental cars, etc.

James Crawley
June 12th, 2018 New York, NY

I have the Delta Gold Skymiles card and the Blue Cash back card. American Express is fine...but not stellar. I think the company used to be higher end and more cutting edge but I don't think they are the leader in higher end credit cards anymore. I think JP Morgan is better.

Sadie Scoville
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

My Grandma has an American Express credit card and she likes the cash back that she gets.

Tom
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

It works great and is accepted almost everywhere. I like that they usually have a larger spending limit and you are not limited to dollar amounts in a single day.

Kip Fowler
June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I use this card for company expenses and they are great to work with. I have never had a problem with them and their customer service is reliable and efficient.

Madge Easton
June 7th, 2018 Orem, UT

We used American Express for years but had to switch when Costco went with Citi bank. The service was great and helped us out with charges that were not ours and questioned a few that looked suspicious,