American Express (Amex) Logo

American Express (Amex)

9.4

As one of the most well-known credit issuers, American Express offers personal, business, and corporate credit cards to consumers with an array of rewards for a variety of uses.

As a more prestigious credit card issuer, American Express generally requires a good, if not excellent, credit score for approval on many of its cards. For such creditworthy consumers, American Express credit cards are a great option, providing generous rewards options, which may also require much higher fees than you would see with other credit card issuers.

If you have poor to fair credit, American Express may have some card options available for you, but you will be limited in rewards and perks.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and American Express reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Variety of Cards
  • Rewards Options
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Amex Offers and Benefits
  • Cobrand Partnerships
  • Premium Car Rental Protection
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Customer Reviews

Variety of Cards

American Express offers a variety of credit cards with various rewards, perks, and benefits. Types of cards include:

• Cash Back
  • Rewards Points*
  • No Annual Fee
  • 0% Intro APR
  • Low Interest
  • Travel
  • Airline
  • Hotel

*Many of the rewards cards have high annual fees to consider.

An array of options allows consumers to compare cards and ultimately choose the best card for their needs. It is important to note that American Express also has business credit card and corporate credit card options.

Rewards Options

American Express offers several rewards programs, cash back rewards, travel rewards, and business rewards, allowing consumers to either earn cash back, points, miles, and/or other benefits.

Offering generous rewards on a variety of cards, American Express can be a good option for creditworthy consumers who will be most able to maximize on rewards through their spending and use of the card.

Keep in mind that cards offering exclusive rewards have a much higher annual fee than you might see with other American Express credit cards, or rewards cards from other lenders. It is important to ensure that your use of the card will be worth the money spent on a card's annual fee.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

To manage and understand your credit score better, American Express offers the MyCredit Guide service.

You don't need to be an American Express cardholder to use MyCredit Guide, but you must make a MyCredit Guide account to access its services.

MyCredit Guide services include the following:

• Free credit reports
  • Credit change alerts
  • Personalized recommendations for improving your credit score
  • Credit score simulator

MyCredit Guide is free to use and will not hurt your credit score. It is important to note that this service provides you with your VantageScore by TransUnion.

Amex Offers and Benefits

All American Express credit cards come with access to Amex offers and benefits which can save you money. These offers and benefits are provided by a variety of merchants and are generally point or cash back offers when you spend a certain amount of money.

Some offers have an enrollment quota, limiting the number of cardholders who can register for that specific offer. An offer may still appear on your account even if enrollment has been filled, but you won't be able to register.

Be mindful that some offers are card-specific. If you have multiple American Express cards, make sure you keep track of which offers you've unlocked and on which card.

Cobrand Partnerships

American Express has some cobrand partnerships that are exclusive to the company, such as Delta and Hilton. These partnerships provide cardholders with access to additional benefits and perks when they use their card on expenses specific to the cobranded company.

Premium Car Rental Protection

American Express Premium Car Rental Protection is an additional insurance product offered by the company.

This program helps you save more on car rental coverage and offers the following features and coverage:

• Flat rate of $19.95/$24.95 per rental period, not per day
  • Pay only when you rent
  • Provided coverage is not subject to a policy deductible
  • Worldwide coverage
  • Up to 42 consecutive days of coverage
  • Coverage ranges from $5,000–$100,000

Liability coverage is not included.

Fraud Safeguards

American Express offers solutions to prevent fraud, including card identification verification, counterfeit detection, electronic verification, and charge authorization. Through the American Express online Security Center, you can report cases of credit card fraud, report a lost or stolen card, and learn more about how American Express protects your information and credit cards.

American Express takes your security seriously and also provides mobile wallet security and SafeKey services to protect you while shopping online.

Customer Reviews

The majority of American Express reviews on BestCompany.com are four or five stars. Customers most often highlight excellent customer service and great rewards, particularly for travel.

The Bad

• Credit Score Requirements
  • Charge Cards
  • Fees

Credit Score Requirements

Many American Express credit cards require a good to excellent credit score to qualify. This may not be attainable for all borrowers, and we would recommend that low credit borrowers look elsewhere for a credit card, at least to compare offerings with American Express.

American Express' high credit requirement is due to the exclusive rewards offered with some of its cards, which is also an indication of higher annual fees.

Charge Cards

Some cards offered by American Express are charge cards not credit cards.

Charge cards and credit cards are similar in use, but a charge card has no spending limit and cardholders are generally expected to pay their bill in full each month, whereas a credit card cardholder can just pay the minimum balance. Although charge cards don't have a set credit limit, that does not mean that they offer unlimited spending.

The following American Express cards are considered to be charge cards:

• Platinum card
  • Gold card
  • Green card

Make sure that you know the rates and terms of the card you are applying for, as you wouldn't want to end up with a charge card when you actually want a credit card.

Fees

Depending on the card, American Express can charge some of the most expensive annual fees in the industry. However, as with many credit card companies, the first year might have no annual fee.

American Express charges a late payment fee of $38 on any unpaid amount. A late payment may also result in a penalty APR.

While some companies in the industry do not charge a foreign transaction fee, American Express charges one, which can be inconvenient for frequent travelers.

The Bottom Line

American Express credit cards are a great option for consumers with an established credit history, generally maintaining excellent credit. Offering various travel rewards cards, American Express may also be one of the best options for frequent travelers. However, American Express does offer a variety of cards meant for everyday purchases that may be a better option for some consumers.

American Express offers cash back, points, and miles rewards, in addition to membership rewards points, but some of the rewards cards have very high annual fees.

Based on customer reviews, we would recommend looking into American Express for your credit card needs, especially if you are looking for generous and exclusive rewards options.

Call our recommended rep over at American Express (Amex) below.

Chris Milke Olney, MD

Love the platinum card rewards and acceptability worldwide. Service fee could be waived at lower levels for regular users of the card. Traveler insurance is also a plus.

Jwat1213 Mount Airy, MD

Always been happy. Able to pay bill immediately. Customer service is great.

Nell Damascus, MD

It was not great. We have not been satisfied with their customer service. I do not recommend Amex.

Jun Chen Rockville, MD

I have a good experience to use American Express card. It is safe to use even in outside of USA and the transaction fees are low. I also have a good experience for its custom services.

Dave Marlowe American Fork, UT

I had American Express credit card for many years I’ve used it while traveling abroad and make purchases locally I find it there cashback and Sanners is well worth using the card

Cynthia DeGrey ,

I have an American Express credit card. They are excellent to work with and provide great customer service

Cyd Vernon Collierville, TN

Been a customer for 15+ years, great loyalty and when I had someone make charges on my card because of fraud, Amex caught it, paid the amounts and sent me a new card the next day. Love this company and use them everyday!

Melissa M Kansas City, MO

They have quality customer service. When we needed to dispute a charge they were so helpful and quick to take care of it.

KKin Preston, ID

I really like the flight benefits I get with AMEX, however, it does take a long time to accumulate enough points in order to use them to fly.

Paul Midvale, UT

Great perks for the Skymiles card. Have been very happy with everything about it.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

We have been using amex since the 70s and its our most used card still. They have great customer service and great policies on working with merchants and insuring items.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

We love our Delta SkyMiles card. For a couple of years it’s no longer been accepted at Costco, but that’s been the only real downside! This is my go-to credit card.

Greg Francis Saratoga Springs, UT

Amex provides the best user experience of all my credit cards. I always know that when I have an issue, when I need to review a bill or charge, that Amex will give me the benifit of the doubt, and work with me, even if it is my error. Website is user friendly, mobile app is convenient, and my business points and personal points all come together!

Russell Kern Lehi, UT

I love how AMEX has amazing perks and rewards and the app is extremely easy to use

Carlee Burt ,

Great customer service, rewards etc. i like using them for all my daily purchases

Mary Alice M. Orem, UT

I've loved my American Express card mostly for the rewards I've gotten from using the card. We love our points! I also have appreciated their customer service. Even though there are really long wait times, I feel like they are always very helpful.

Landon Pliler Orem, UT

We have loved the Delta points we generate when using the credit card. The make it easy to set up autopay and I have loved the app.

Jared Provo, UT

My limited experience with American Express has been good for the most part. I have the Delta credit card, and my only complaint so far is that the value of a SkyMile isn't as readily accessible as I would like.

Tammi Guyton, GA

Prompt and courteous customer service. Easy to dispute fraudulent charges. Wide variety to cards and benefits.

Mike Curtis Guyton, GA

A little expensive but the service is outstanding. They stand behind their customers...

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

I've been an AmEx user for over 30 years! It has been my Corporate Card for three different companies. I also have Delta Card which gives me free luggage. I'm very happy with AmEx and the ability to get points from all my different cards, even the Corp Card is a big bonus. There is a small fee but it is worth it for the points.

Nicole Johnson Portland, OR

Not everywhere takes Amex, and that is bothersome. However, we have still found our card to be very useful for most purchases. It it easy to pay off online.

Kyle Johnson Portland, OR

I love my Amex card. It has great rewards for grocery shopping, so I primarily use it for this.

Carol Knight Salt Lake City, UT

High annual fee and when Costco dropped AmEx I dropped AmEx. Credit card competitors offer more value.

Amy McCarlie Orem, UT

We got this American Express card because of the points! We have tons of flyer miles and its been so great! Customer service is just the best! They are always so helpful with what we need!

Mike Salt Lake City, UT

Best credit card company out there. I've been with them for 20 years. They're costumer service is the best. Had an issue once where I rented a car with my Amex and got in a wreck. They were easy to work with and solved it no problem

Cole Saratoga Springs, UT

Good mobile app and great rewards program. I also appreciate their customer service representatives!

Jennifer Ashby Lehi, UT

I have been pleased with my AMEX cards. I have been able to earn great rewards. The only downside is that you sometimes can’t use them everywhere. They have resolved any issues that I have had.

Tommy McCarlie Chicago, IL

Amex has always been a great card with great benefits. My only complaint is they lost their deal with Costco. I don't know who is responsible for that but if you're reading this Amex please go to Costco and beg for mercy -- you deserve better -- you're not supposed to be like the other Credit Cards.

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

#1 in Customer Service! There are never long wait times, they always serve with the highest degree of professionalism, the first person who answers can always solve your issues (no getting transferred from agent to agent) and excellent fraud management services.

John Brown Salt Lake City, UT

Been a card member for over 20 years. Excellent customer service. Truly the gold standard.

Raymond Hyde Park, UT

I like that I don’t have to wait an entire billing cycle for my payment to process.

Dayna Brown Logan, UT

We got an Amex card after moving across the country, far away from family & friends. We wanted to take advantage of the perks they offer and it did NOT disappoint! We've been able to exchange our points for flights several times. When you travel frequently, an Amex card is a MUST!

Nurse2014 Los Angeles, CA

We have had an American Express credit card for many years and have never had any problems with it. We love the Sky miles that we get.

Teri M. Logan, UT

I like the perks that American Express offers it's customers. My American Express card gives me more cash back than any other credit card I have. I pay my card off each month so I don't pay finance charges so I don't have a review about that.

Jeff Blosil Kennewick, WA

In the short time I have had my card I was able to earn enough miles for a free trip! The customer service is also amazing and I don't spend hours trying to reach someone.

McKenzie Logan, UT

I had a dispute on my credit card with a business that overcharged me for their services. I called AE and explained my situation. They immediately took the charges off my account and then got their team involved to work with the charging company. AE did all the leg work internally and only called me to ask some questions about the situation. Other than that, I never heard anything about it.

Heather Barney Logan, UT

My husband and I both use American Express. We have their Miles card and love that we can earn flight towards flights for our family.

Nathan Justis Smithfield, UT

AmEx has been amazing for us. We got shafted by Norwegian Air a year or two ago and AmEx refunded us for plane tickets when Norwegian Air would not. I've been with AmEx many years and want to stay with them for many more.

Jill Hunsaker Logan, UT

I love my American Express card. It helps us not get into debt because we pay it off monthly. It also has bonus points which is how we have gotten some fun things like camera etc.

Kristen Gonzalez Logan, UT

We enjoy our American Express card to collect airfare miles. The app is great too.

Wmosmith12 Smithfield, UT

I really like using American Express it is a good company And I feel comfortable and confident in my protection And privacy.

Michelle Pyne Hoschton, GA

We have had an American Express card for several years. Processing is always accurate, and they are always responsive to our questions and helpful when we express a need.

Jen Smithfield, UT

We love American Express. We love the rewards they offer. We've used them for years. They've always been great to work with.

Melissa Providence, UT

Love the protection I have with using my American Express credit card. They have great to work with when purchases have gone wrong. Excellent customer service.

Tara Bindrup Smithfield, UT

I have been an American Express card user for over 20 years! I love the Delta flight card which earns you points and the benefit of one free bag with the purchase of a delta ticket for up to six people in your flight party. If I ever have a fraudulent charge they are quick to resolve and refund.

Julie Earl Magna, UT

Great credit card with great benefits. I have the Hilton Honors and have used this card to earn points towards travel. I have no complaints about my American Express card!

Dale Howe Logan, UT

I've used American Express since I was in college. They're globally recognized and trusted. Using their card gives me extra confidence and protection as a consumer. Love their Delta Sky miles program too!

Crystal Logan, UT

I use this card as my main credit card. It is connected to my delta account and allows me to use the points for travel with my husband. It has fraud coverage and has good customer service.

Dee Ashcroft Logan, UT

After a little research I choose an American Express card because for travel it had the best program