Best Company Guarantee American Express (Amex) Logo

American Express (Amex)

7.3

LAST UPDATED: January 25th, 2022

As one of the most well-known credit issuers, American Express offers personal, business, and corporate credit cards to consumers with an array of rewards for a variety of uses.

As a more prestigious credit card issuer, American Express generally requires a good, if not excellent, credit score for approval on many of its cards. For such creditworthy consumers, American Express credit cards are a great option, providing generous rewards options, which may also require much higher fees than you would see with other credit card issuers.

If you have poor to fair credit, American Express may have some card options available for you, but you will be limited in rewards and perks.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and American Express reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Variety of Cards
  • Rewards Options
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Amex Offers and Benefits
  • Cobrand Partnerships
  • Premium Car Rental Protection
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Customer Reviews

Variety of Cards

American Express offers a variety of credit cards with various rewards, perks, and benefits. Types of cards include:

• Cash Back
  • Rewards Points*
  • No Annual Fee
  • 0% Intro APR
  • Low Interest
  • Travel
  • Airline
  • Hotel

*Many of the rewards cards have high annual fees to consider.

An array of options allows consumers to compare cards and ultimately choose the best card for their needs. It is important to note that American Express also has business credit card and corporate credit card options.

Rewards Options

American Express offers several rewards programs, cash back rewards, travel rewards, and business rewards, allowing consumers to either earn cash back, points, miles, and/or other benefits.

Offering generous rewards on a variety of cards, American Express can be a good option for creditworthy consumers who will be most able to maximize on rewards through their spending and use of the card.

Keep in mind that cards offering exclusive rewards have a much higher annual fee than you might see with other American Express credit cards, or rewards cards from other lenders. It is important to ensure that your use of the card will be worth the money spent on a card's annual fee.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

To manage and understand your credit score better, American Express offers the MyCredit Guide service.

You don't need to be an American Express cardholder to use MyCredit Guide, but you must make a MyCredit Guide account to access its services.

MyCredit Guide services include the following:

• Free credit reports
  • Credit change alerts
  • Personalized recommendations for improving your credit score
  • Credit score simulator

MyCredit Guide is free to use and will not hurt your credit score. It is important to note that this service provides you with your VantageScore by TransUnion.

Amex Offers and Benefits

All American Express credit cards come with access to Amex offers and benefits which can save you money. These offers and benefits are provided by a variety of merchants and are generally point or cash back offers when you spend a certain amount of money.

Some offers have an enrollment quota, limiting the number of cardholders who can register for that specific offer. An offer may still appear on your account even if enrollment has been filled, but you won't be able to register.

Be mindful that some offers are card-specific. If you have multiple American Express cards, make sure you keep track of which offers you've unlocked and on which card.

Cobrand Partnerships

American Express has some cobrand partnerships that are exclusive to the company, such as Delta and Hilton. These partnerships provide cardholders with access to additional benefits and perks when they use their card on expenses specific to the cobranded company.

Premium Car Rental Protection

American Express Premium Car Rental Protection is an additional insurance product offered by the company.

This program helps you save more on car rental coverage and offers the following features and coverage:

• Flat rate of $19.95/$24.95 per rental period, not per day
  • Pay only when you rent
  • Provided coverage is not subject to a policy deductible
  • Worldwide coverage
  • Up to 42 consecutive days of coverage
  • Coverage ranges from $5,000–$100,000

Liability coverage is not included.

Fraud Safeguards

American Express offers solutions to prevent fraud, including card identification verification, counterfeit detection, electronic verification, and charge authorization. Through the American Express online Security Center, you can report cases of credit card fraud, report a lost or stolen card, and learn more about how American Express protects your information and credit cards.

American Express takes your security seriously and also provides mobile wallet security and SafeKey services to protect you while shopping online.

Customer Reviews

The majority of American Express reviews on BestCompany.com are four or five stars. Customers most often highlight excellent customer service and great rewards, particularly for travel.

The Bad

• Credit Score Requirements
  • Charge Cards
  • Fees

Credit Score Requirements

Many American Express credit cards require a good to excellent credit score to qualify. This may not be attainable for all borrowers, and we would recommend that low credit borrowers look elsewhere for a credit card, at least to compare offerings with American Express.

American Express' high credit requirement is due to the exclusive rewards offered with some of its cards, which is also an indication of higher annual fees.

Charge Cards

Some cards offered by American Express are charge cards not credit cards.

Charge cards and credit cards are similar in use, but a charge card has no spending limit and cardholders are generally expected to pay their bill in full each month, whereas a credit card cardholder can just pay the minimum balance. Although charge cards don't have a set credit limit, that does not mean that they offer unlimited spending.

The following American Express cards are considered to be charge cards:

• Platinum card
  • Gold card
  • Green card

Make sure that you know the rates and terms of the card you are applying for, as you wouldn't want to end up with a charge card when you actually want a credit card.

Fees

Depending on the card, American Express can charge some of the most expensive annual fees in the industry. However, as with many credit card companies, the first year might have no annual fee.

American Express charges a late payment fee of $38 on any unpaid amount. A late payment may also result in a penalty APR.

While some companies in the industry do not charge a foreign transaction fee, American Express charges one, which can be inconvenient for frequent travelers.

The Bottom Line

American Express credit cards are a great option for consumers with an established credit history, generally maintaining excellent credit. Offering various travel rewards cards, American Express may also be one of the best options for frequent travelers. However, American Express does offer a variety of cards meant for everyday purchases that may be a better option for some consumers.

American Express offers cash back, points, and miles rewards, in addition to membership rewards points, but some of the rewards cards have very high annual fees.

Based on customer reviews, we would recommend looking into American Express for your credit card needs, especially if you are looking for generous and exclusive rewards options.

Call our recommended rep over at American Express (Amex) below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Claudia Patrick Austin, AR

A prestigious card to use, however, is not flexible when trying to pay off a payment plan to avoid interest or the fee they charge to establish a payment plan. To reduce interest, I had to pay off the entire balance. Never use the card to purchase a major appliance on a payment plan that you intend to pay off early. The company won't let you do it. The plan is not very friendly. The card is good only for purchasing items that you plan to pay off the next billing cycle. Otherwise, it's not a reasonable tool.

Jennifer Dunlap Kingston, WA

American Express has always been a good card but my only complaint is they must have high fees, because some businesses will not take it. I love that I can put my daughter on my account and set a spending limit. This helps with college expenses and maintaining a budget

Sarah Biondo Gilbert, AZ

Amex is our card of choice out of all of our cards because we have the largest credit limit on that card and the most perks and rewards. We have used the Amex to get local offers with cash back to the card and other offers that have rewarded us with cash back to the card, incentivizing us to use the card to shop at specific locations. They stopped offering gift cards for redemption of points on our Amex cards, which is a bummer, and they still offer cash back to the card each month.

Mandi Colorado Springs, CO

I loved having my AmEx everyday credit card. I was able to use it for moving across the country and it saved me a ton of money in interest costs. The only downside to the company is that they will automatically close your account if you do not use it for a year or more. I would recommend using it once or twice a year if you want to keep the account open and receive all the awesome benefits it offers.

Sirdriz77 Fairfield, CT

I've had at least one AMEX since I was old enough to have a credit card and they have never let me down. The rewards are great and easy to redeem, travel is awesome, the AMEX offers can save you a lot with great brands and the best part is the extended warranty protection. I've only had to use it one time but the process was quick and painless. My favorite credit card for sure.

Richard Cunningham Sandys Parish, SA

Yes they charge a fee but if you use the card correctly you get a wealth of benefits. Just make sure you read all the print to see what they are. Airport lounges, car hire upgrades, car hire insurance. I had to call the call centre and the rep was very helpful. So yes - there is a fee but you get what you pay for - a great service and a card that can be used in almost all places.

Thomas Belmont, NC

I’ve been happy with my American Express card. I currently have a platinum card. I will say that their offers necessarily always work. I’ve also had an issue where an agent promised me $100 refund because of that very issue. Then in subsequent calls, the other agent complete disregards the prior content. Why are they promised me they record their calls, they wouldn’t work with me and listening to the car with me as proof. That’s the reason I wouldn’t give a full rating to this company - though – other than that-I’ve been happy.

Stephen Thompson

Have been an AMEX credit card customer for over 30 years. The customer service is amazing and their dispute resolution process with retail establishments is effective and made me feel that they were impartial in resolving an issue.

Gavin Jones Columbus, OH

I find the customer service great and have honestly shelved most other cards and solely use my Amex. Ease of use and great rewards ( it has literally saved me a lot of money on the cash back pgm and so is definitely very customer user oriented). Not really much else to say.

Rich N New London, CT

I have been using AMEX for many years and am very satisfied. I have used the points for various items including gift cards and travel. I worked for a company that used AMEX Corporate and that was a great experience. The customer service was phenomenal when I lost my card at the airport.

Barbara Luke Chicago, IL

American Express provides the best all around service in the credit card industry. Their Plan It option is a great deal. And the ability for me to dispute merchant charges online is seamless, unlike other card services which require a phone call or letter. I only wish I could merge my two different Amex cards into the same online system.

Cam Hall Palmyra, VA

Amex is absolutely top of the line for their card benefits and services. They’re constantly offering new benefits and services for their cardholders, and offer regular benefits through cash back. I was skeptical, but their blue cash preferred card has been my new go to.

Amy N Sandy, UT

American Express customer service has always been very helpful and professional. Their website is also easy to navigate.

15 hours ago

Steve Harris Baton Rouge, LA

I've had an American Express credit card since 1982. They've always been top notch. I have never had a single issue with them.

Luke M Herriman, UT

Most places take Amex, which is very reassuring. We get points whenever we use it, so it can go towards flights, and that's very nice.

Bryan Peterson Herriman, UT

I've had an amex card for years. I started off as a gold card user, them switched to the blue card. I love the reward feature blue card offers

Brian Cowley Riverton, UT

Been a cardmember since 2007 and will always have an AMEX card. I especially like the Delta card and the flight benefits we get with it.

Glenn Dalton Salt Lake City, UT

Have had my card for 25 years. Always great customer service, fraud monitoring, and cash back policies. Accepted everywhere.

Mr Bernard Ellicott City, MD

Amex Gold card offers larger limit than most other cards. However it should be noted that if you have another Amex account ie; the every day card, the balance could counter your availability on your gold card account. Therefore your availability may not be what it appears. This could cause a serious problem if you have to make a large purchase for your business. You won't know until your purchase is declined and you call in to find out why.

DJMikeBizaar Music Keller, TX

I had an Am Ex many years back and from what I can tell they have not changed much. They have great customer service (which is saying a-lot for a CC company), good rates on insurance (although that may have changed due to the times) and flexible for the most part with the payments.

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

I LOVE AMERICAN EXPRESS. I use their cards for travel and they have so many benefits such as airport lounge access. It's a very luxury credit card company in my opinion based on all the benefits you get for using their cards and they have wonderful customer service!

Anoushka Ahuja Lecanto, FL

Amex is Okay card to have it’s better if you are qualified for large limits, due to higher transaction fees they are not accepted at all merchants

Shirley Simolari

I've never been disappointed with a call to American Express! I've called while traveling with a family member in an extreme emergency, had to increase my credit line for a private jet in case my travel insurance didn't cover it! My line was increased in less than 5 minutes. My credit card was compromised a few times at no fault of mine and they handled everything to a T. I've called many times with questions the attendants on the phone are quick to answer, never a long wait, knowledgeable, they don't try to sell me anything and they make sure my questions are resolved. What more can you ask for?

Lori Thurgoood Spanish Fork, UT

We don't usually have credit cards but we take advantage of the free baggage check in and companion fare.

Brent Thurgood Spanish Fork, UT

We don't do usually use credit cards but we like the Delta perks with our Amex card. We use the luggage check and companion fare every year.

Kishor B Laurel, MD

Loved their Amex offer on the top of regular cash back. Also their purchase protection program is very good, happy customer.

Uncle Reviewer for Fundraiser Syracuse, UT

Loved using Amex services, enjoyed the points and payback. Glad that I kept my spending using under control:)

RCSmith Frankfort, KY

I have been a customer of American Express for years. My experiences with American Express have been good. I would like for their rewards program to add a cash back instead of just a credit. But a credit to account is good.

KG Lebanon, NJ

I have my blue card with AMEX and it has always been easy to use however whenever I need to use planet it never works and it’s difficult to get a promotion for a loan when you need it. Whenever I don’t need a loan it seems to be available which is a little inconvenient otherwise it’s a good card.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

After initially building my credit, I got an American Express card. I love my card because they have such good rewards for using your credit card and have no yearly costs. I've only had to get in contact with their customer service once, due to a fraudulent charge, but they worked quickly to resolve my issue. Great company.

Emily D Herriman, UT

I enjoy American Express. No complaints. Their fraud protection helps me know my money ans credit are safe.

Noureddine Lalami Brentwood, CA

Amex has a good reputation and solid financial offering but customer service tend to be a bit lack unless you are an upper class customer.

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

I use my American Express card at least once a week. And in doing so I find that not only is it except in most places but it is also easy to pay off the bill. The bill comes for me and paper format and all the charges that I’ve used it for I listed, which is extremely helpful in keeping track of payments. Furthermore, the customer service for American Express is top tier. When I’ve had difficulties with my card or suspected that it could be lost calling with customer service desk is always result in a helpful response.

Grace Citrus Heights, CA

I used American Express as a travel card they my place of employment. Never had any problems using the card or with billing.

tommy melvin Richmond, VA

Come on, its AMEX. Great travel benefits, great acceptance, easy to use overseas, etc. It is the gold standard of cards.

Carolina camacho

I love American Express! Through American Express, I get flying miles and I have been able to travel to so many new places! I save so much money with American Express

Alexis Mcintosh Tallahassee, FL

Great service helpful staff, would definitely recommend. Easily hands down the best credit card service company I have ever been with. I recommend American Express to absolutely everyone because it is just that great.

Melissa Handy CA

I think they have Good app. Easy to use.

Adam Dahl Herriman, UT

The only card we use now. Great benefits and perks. Love getting Delta miles

Shauna Lyons Omaha, NE

Love no intrest for the 1st year. Always lots of ways to earn points to use for other things. Also has monthly deals.

BlancheL

AMEX customer service is very caring understanding and helpful... I am glad to be a card holder

Naomi Jacksonville, FL

I recently got one, just so I can boost my credit. And I love this card! So many benefits when I use it on certain items!

Devon Neil

Roadside assistance is included at no extra cost. It has many other perks and it truly makes it a piece of mind instead of it just being a ordinary, everyday credit card. Customer service is always polite, ensure the security of my card stay up to date, solve any issues I may have and ensure that I have a competitive interest rate. I have to admit that I was a skeptical customer at first but I'm a very proud user of my AMEX card and I highly recommend that everyone give them a try.

Gioacco

I called to tell them about an upcoming large expense. It was a terrible expense, as my mom passed on and I had an unexpected funeral expense. The customer service rep. let me have a lower rate of 1.9% for all expenses on my AMEX card for the next 9 months to help me make ends meet in my budget. I am very thankful for the kindness and compassion of the people at AMEX.

Jen Paxman Lehi, UT

I am fairly new to American Express. I have one of the Delta cards and I absolutely love it. The airline benefits are amazing, and have made it so we can take our family of 5 to Hawaii and not have to pay for a single ticket!!! Their customer service is so amazing to work with and are always kind and helpful. It is very easy to pay my bill online as well. I would, and do, recommend this card to anyone looking for a great airline card.

Laura Howard Brooklyn, NY

My first AMEX card was in 1994, then I got the Delta Skymiles AMEX card just over a year ago. I have so many positive experiences it would be impossible to list all here, but in summary, AMEX have ALWAYS been there for me when I have had issues with vendors. The app is easy to use, the website is easy to use and customer service is absolutely wonderful.

ps2os2 Chicago, IL

When it is needed to call the AMEX people you are treated nicely and when they answer the phone you do not have to repeat your card number as they have a system that identifies you as a legit caller and the people you talk too are reasonable . There was a time when AAA double charged me for a battery replacement and they saw it immediately and reversed the charge. Sadly AAA dropped AMEX soon after that.

Adam Floyd Morrison, CO

I have the AMEX platinum card which is great for business and personal travel. While pricey, I always feel that I come out ahead. They reimburse travel expenses related to baggage, Uber, global entry, and others. In addition, I automatically get status at hotels, car rentals, etc. While I earn status on many of these already, some of them I only use on as needed basis. Their concierge service is wonderful. I have used them to obtain tickets and restaurant reservations in various cities and well as provide recommendations.

Dale Ash Sandy, UT

This is a great company. They offered an American Express card as soon as I had my first job. I've been with them ever since. I did switch to a Delta American Express card. I like the mileage rewards. I also get a free companion ticket voucher every year. They are very responsive when you call. I appreciate the ability to categorize and evaluate your expenditures by purchase area. Their service professionals are always very friendly and helpful.

Thomas Taylor Salt Lake City, UT

Well, American Express is a straight forward, well recognized card that has always been accepted everywhere with no questions asked. One time when there was a mistake on our monthly statement, a single phone call cleared it up in our favor with an apology from the company. Additionally, our card is a full AmEx card under a Delta Sky Miles plan that gives up credit for flights on Delta with every use!