Founded in 1850 and headquartered in New York, American Express offers financial services such as credit cards and insurance.

#1 Capital One chevron_right
4.1
#3 Discover chevron_right

The Good

• Competitive APRs
  • Rewards program
  • Fraud safeguards

Competitive APRs

American Express offers credit cards with introductory rates of 0 percent for the first six to twelve months. After that, rates range from 13.24 to 25.24 percent*, which is competitive within the industry.

Rewards Program

American Express offers several rewards programs, cash back rewards, travel rewards, and business rewards.

Fraud Safeguards

American Express offers solutions to prevent fraud, including card identification verification, counterfeit detection, electronic verification, and charge authorization. Visit Site

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalty
  • Foreign Transaction Fee
  • No Free Credit Score

Annual Fees

Depending on the card, American Express charges annual fees up to $450, which is one of the steepest fees in the industry.

Late Payment Penalty

American Express cardholders who make a payment late will be charge a fee of up to $38.

Foreign Transaction Fee

While some companies in the industry do not charge a foreign transaction fee, American Express charges a fee of 2.70 percent for foreign transactions, which can be inconvenient for frequent travelers.

No Free Credit Score

Unfortunately, American Express does not provide its customers with free credit score tracking.

The Bottom Line

American Express offers competitive APRs, several rewards programs, and a number of fraud safeguards. However, the company charges annual fees, late payment fees, and foreign transaction fees. Additionally, American Express does not provide free credit score monitoring.

4.1

Michael Occhipinti
August 1st, 2019 Raleigh, NC DETAILS

Terrible experience. Their customer service is absolutely terrible. I have wasted 10-15hrs of my time on the phone.

Haley Baldwin
July 10th, 2019 DETAILS

I have loved using my American Express card and I love the benefits that come with it. I don’t like however that some places don’t accept it.

Paige Baldwin
July 8th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS

I’ve really enjoyed my American Express card and the awesome benefits that it provides me.

C B
July 5th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

Used AMEX for 20 years for business purposes. It's a great card to use for your business with the perks.

Gail
June 21st, 2019 Independence, KY DETAILS

I love my American Express Card. NO problems ever. I can't think of one thing I could complain about. Keep up the good work American Express!

Valerie Shull
June 18th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

American Express rocks! Their customer service is genuinely helpful and they make sure to solve your problem when you have jt

Jacob Ball
June 18th, 2019 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

Never had any problems with Amex they are always prompt on taking care of claims when I need them

Jeremy Balls
June 13th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I have several AMEX credit cards. Cards are usually accepted in most places. Benefits from most cards make it worth to have. and rewards are easy to redeem. I had my credit card information stolen once and AMEX was great to work with.

Christina Balls
June 10th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

We have used American Express credit card for our personal needs and to collect travel points. The yearly fee is a little steep, but we only use it if it pays off in the end.

Sarah
June 10th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I was just deciding what credit card I was going to get from American Express and both options are great. Either the delta flight perks or the Marriott perks. We decided to go with the flight one because if you spend a certain amount of money in 3 months you get 2 plane tickets. There is an annual fee of $95.

Anne Sainsbury
June 10th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS

The reward points for using American Express are amazing! The one downfall is that it is not accepted everywhere, so I sometimes have to pull out my visa! But if you're willing to do that at times, it's totally one worth having because i comes with great perks!

Trenton Prestwich
June 6th, 2019 Taylorsville, UT DETAILS

Had an Amex before Costco changed to Visa. No issues to report. Pretty standard credit card.

Rylie Crandall
June 3rd, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I would recommend American Express because their customer service is exceptional. I’ve always been helped immediately when there is a problem or issue. I also love using sky miles from American express

kerry perez
May 17th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I have this card, its my go to card for all my travel needs. I use it for work stuff too, and i love it. Great features, awesome reward program, works everywhere and very user friendly website to use.

Cathie Chavez
May 16th, 2019 Banning, CA DETAILS

I have there card,there coustomer service is excellent they let the coustomer know they care,they are there to help and answer all your questions and they fix any problems that come up

Craig
May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I have a AMEX through Delta Airlines for skymiles and it has always been a great card. The fees are minimal and I love the benefits. Great option for someone looking for a good credit card.

Reese
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have had an American Express credit card for many years and I like the freedom of having a large limit and so I am not worried about going over my limit. I also like that they have many anti fraud features on the card and if there is any problem provide great help and customer service.

Dean
May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

The annual fee is just to much to make it worth while. I enjoyed the miles I got as the benefit but it probably didn't offset the cost of the fee. The customer service was good but I just didn't think it was worth keeping.

Jennifer
May 13th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I had an American Express card for quite some time. I actually really liked the card and benefits but the yearly fees began to just be too much compared to my other 2 cards. I would recommend Amex to anyone who doesn't necessarily care about the annual fee.

Ashley
May 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

The Delta American Express is the best because I'm able to earn points on regular purchases everyday. These points turn into miles really fast. They are constantly having deals for more miles on restaurants, and you can even shop on their sky mall. The best is being able to board early on flights by just showing my Delta American Express. American Express is used everywhere and all over the world.

Randy Case
May 6th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

I've been an American Express credit card holder for over 20 years. The website is easy to use, customer service is efficient and responsive, and the phone app is great for checking on funds available or making a payment in real time.

Assured comfort
May 2nd, 2019 Redmond, OR DETAILS

I love american express. Their service is terrific. A person always answers when you call and they are always very helpful. A great example for everyone

Robert R McEvilly
May 2nd, 2019 Glendale, CA DETAILS

They are always accurate, but difficult to do business with.

Douglas
May 2nd, 2019 Sheboygan, WI DETAILS

They send you a report at the end of the year. Very insiteful

Allison Driggs
April 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I love my American Express card. Totally convenient and service is incredible. Love American Express.

Matthew Driggs
April 12th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

They have a great rewards program. The only bummer is that not everyone takes their card. When they do, the rewards are great.

Tim Berrett
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I cancelled all my AMEX cards after some bad experiences. This company has poor customer service, increases interest rates often, and changes card perks without communicating. I was particularly disappointed in their Delta/Amex partnership and the frequent changes they made to those perks with no notification. Use anyone but AMEX.

Michelle De Oliveira
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I have the American Express Delta rewards card and it works well for me. I like that I get a free companion ticket each year, which offsets the annual fee. I also like that I get a free checked bag for myself and for whoever is in my party. This saves us a bundle when we fly as a family.

Jonas De Olveira
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT

I have the Delta skymiles american express card. I really like getting a companion fare each year. It helps make the annual fee worth it. I travel often and use delta most often as my carrier so I get double points on all those purchases. It has been a good card, it isn't great for international travel though. It is not accepted in as many places overseas.

Erin
February 13th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS

We’ve used American Express for the past 18 years. They have great rewards and their interest rate is competitive. They’ve monitored transactions on our card for fraud and have contacted us whenever they suspected fraud or suspicious transactions. Their customer service is excellent.

Aaron Paxman
February 13th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I currently have an American Express credit card. It was easy to obtain without much hassle. I have enjoyed the perks and points that I earn with this card. Website where I applied for the card was user friendly and I was able to chat with a rep as well who guided me through the process.

wayne sanders
February 12th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS

AmEx has been a top notch company for me. I appreciate it when I get a notification from them letting me know that something in my spending pattern was different and they just wanted to verify that it was in fact me who made the charge. There was a time however that I hadn't made the charge on my account and there were no questions asked, AmEx reversed the charges and didn't penalize me for it. that's good customer service in my book.

Steve Anderson
February 12th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS

I've been pleased with American Express. I have had my card for several years now. I use my American Express to pay ALL of my bills and other purchases. I've never had to pay late fees or penalty fees so I don't know what that part of the game is like. I make it a point to pay my monthly bills on time and 100%. If you can do that without fail, then they are a good card to have. For me, I like the frequent flier miles and the free baggage I get with my Delta American Express. What I get from that card makes the year fee worthwhile. I have run into only a few places that won't take this card, but I always carry another card with me in case I run into a store that won't take my American Express.

Sarah Wright
February 12th, 2019 DETAILS

I love my Amex card. Easy customer service and lots of benefits make this a card worth having, even with the annual fee. The rewards alone easily pay for this.

Nicole Garrett
February 12th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I enjoy the Delta rewards Amex. The bonus miles are a great bonus. Customer service has been great when needed.

Nathan Hill
February 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have always liked the perks with this card, but find them to be a little more expensive and a lot harder to use because not everyone accepts them. I still use this card and like it for the sky miles and the companion ticket.

Myah Smith
February 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I have loved having an American Express card. There are good deals often that allow me to get free stuff. I have not had any problems with it.

Lindsey B
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Overpriced annual fees for a card with no added benefits. When I was looking for a card that offered great rewards I thought I had it with AMEX, it turns out that wasn't the case. The whole time I had the card I was underwhelmed. I would look into another card before signing up with AMEX.

Helen Thompson
February 12th, 2019 Bountiful, UT DETAILS

WE HAVE BEEN WITH AMERICAN EXPRESS FOR MANY YEARS AND LOVE THE BONUS'S WE GET BY BEING WITH THEM. WE USE OUR FREQUENT FLYER MILES WE GET WITH USING OUR CREDIT CARD. WE LOVE GETTING A COMPANION FREE TICKET IF WE USE OUR CARD ENOUGH IN ONE YEAR. WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TREATED FAIR ON THE PHONE WHEN IT CAME TIME TO UP THE AMOUNT WE COULD USE.THEY HAVE A GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT IS EEASY TO GET AHOLD OF AND HELP WITH OUR PROBLEMS. THEY ARE SO GOOD TO FOLLOW UP IF WE HAVE A COMPLAINT ABOUT ANYTHING.

Cristiana
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

It took a long time to American Express accept my husband and I as a customer even thou we having good credit score. We only have the card because of Costco.

Brennan
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I have found my American Express to be very underwhelming. The rewards aren't easy to redeem and use and it feels like the annual fees are too high. I wouldn't get an AMEX card if you are looking into them.

Kristiane R Durfey
February 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have and use our American Express on a regular basis. We love the ease of use and the rewards that we get through them. Interest rate isn't great but as long as you pay off the balance every month it isn't a problem. The card is accepted most places too.

JAKE
February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We have used American Express for a long time. Their customer service is good and they usually respond quickly and are very helpful. I do like their reward program options. They have a lot of different companies available to choose from. They have added a lot more companies that you can get gift cards to.

Brody B
February 7th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I've been underwhelmed by my American Express card. The perks aren't great and customer service is less than helpful. I would look into other options before enrolling with American Express.

Jen Paxman
February 7th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I am fairly new to American Express. I have one of the Delta cards and I absolutely love it. The airline benefits are amazing, and have made it so we can take our family of 5 to Hawaii and not have to pay for a single ticket!!! Their customer service is so amazing to work with and are always kind and helpful. It is very easy to pay my bill online as well. I would, and do, recommend this card to anyone looking for a great airline card.

Erika
February 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We use our American Express all the time and have really liked it. Their customer service responds quickly and are very helpful. Their online platform is great and really easy to use. I have always had a great experience with their online chat/help. Also we like their rewards program.

Charles Alexander
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

I had been their customer since 1999, they provided excellent service, but have not looked out for my interests when I was scammed

Virginia Rosenthal
February 6th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I've loved using my American Express card for over 20 years now. The perks I get from the points when I use it comes in handy. The customer service is great and easy to use when redeeming points.

Laurie Willis
February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Easy to use website & app. Makes things easy to track & make quick payments. Great customer service.

Denna Collier
February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Great customer service and easy use of sky miles. Interest rate is too high compared to other cards