American Express (Amex)

8.1

Founded in 1850 and headquartered in New York, American Express offers financial services such as credit cards and insurance.

The Good

• Competitive APRs
  • Rewards program
  • Fraud safeguards

Competitive APRs

American Express offers credit cards with introductory rates of 0 percent for the first six to twelve months. After that, rates range from 13.24 to 25.24 percent*, which is competitive within the industry.

Rewards Program

American Express offers several rewards programs, cash back rewards, travel rewards, and business rewards.

Fraud Safeguards

American Express offers solutions to prevent fraud, including card identification verification, counterfeit detection, electronic verification, and charge authorization. Visit Site

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalty
  • Foreign Transaction Fee
  • No Free Credit Score

Annual Fees

Depending on the card, American Express charges annual fees up to $450, which is one of the steepest fees in the industry.

Late Payment Penalty

American Express cardholders who make a payment late will be charge a fee of up to $38.

Foreign Transaction Fee

While some companies in the industry do not charge a foreign transaction fee, American Express charges a fee of 2.70 percent for foreign transactions, which can be inconvenient for frequent travelers.

No Free Credit Score

Unfortunately, American Express does not provide its customers with free credit score tracking.

The Bottom Line

American Express offers competitive APRs, several rewards programs, and a number of fraud safeguards. However, the company charges annual fees, late payment fees, and foreign transaction fees. Additionally, American Express does not provide free credit score monitoring.

3.8

November 20th, 2017 Alfred, ME DETAILS

Because it has very low credit limits, despite the good credit record I have. It's hardly accepted anywhere in my country.

November 13th, 2017 Auburn, CA' DETAILS

Always superior customer service whenever I've had a problem with any merchandise or merchant.

November 13th, 2017 Burlington, NJ DETAILS

Customer service and quality of care they offer to their customers

November 2nd, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Use a delta reserve card and have flown all over the world for free

November 2nd, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

We love American Express the most out of all our credit cards. We have a Delta card through American Express, and it gives us many perks. We get to use the Delta Lounge in the airport when we travel, and it is all because of our Amex. Amex has tons of perks for different cards. We love it.

November 2nd, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS

Amex is awesome! We have their Cash Preferred card and love the benefits. They have great customer service

October 30th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

Really the reason it's a 3 is because I got zero benefits from using the card - really zero.

October 27th, 2017 Holden, MA DETAILS

I have had my American Express Platinum credit card for 4 months. I use it for my business. I have paid them $42,264. While they advertise this card as no pre set spending limit, there is. They also want to call your bank and verify funds for a payment before you can use the card again. Their customer service is HORRIBLE! They transfer you around to India, Arizona back and forth. No one wants to help you all they do is read from a computer screen!

October 26th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

I loved my American Express card, and only had to get rid of it because of the annual fee on my Delta SkyMiles card. I enjoyed lots of benefits like free 2-day shipping just for being a cardholder and other discounts and coupons. Great card! The only other drawback I would mention is that small businesses typically do not accept it.

October 24th, 2017 DETAILS

Good services, clear communication, extra coverage when traveling

October 24th, 2017 DETAILS

Flexible spending and cash back rewards. AMEX is my go to card and it keeps people honest. Though I have flex monthly spending I like the idea of having the full balance due at the end of the money, it allows me to use the card as a debit card and just pay off the balance monthly.

October 24th, 2017 Columbia, MD DETAILS

Timely response to questions regarding account and great customer service.

October 16th, 2017 New Lenox, IL

Outstanding customer service. Excellent rewards program is icing on the cake.

October 9th, 2017 Orlando, FL

Best customer service. I have been a long time customer of American Express. I experienced some hard times financially, and fought my way out. One of the first cards to give me a second chance was American Express. In return, they have my loyalty for life. I refer everyone I know, and I recommend AMEX to everyone.

October 9th, 2017 Hyattsville, MD

I've had a while, no problems with purchasing

October 2nd, 2017

Limited acceptance of the card. Amex is not accepted as much as Visa or Mastercard

October 2nd, 2017 Missouri City, TX

They are accepted almost everywhere. They gave me high credit limits and have automatically increased them due to my payment history. I also get hotel points.

October 1st, 2017

Received 0 cash from an atm, but atm reported cash was dispensed. This was my paycheck money, i was using for evacuation from fl when irma was on way. Amex refused to review the transaction before the 18th of sept. They refused to even credit me the money as badly as i needed it. I been with them for years and the absolutely refused to assist me. I immediately stopped my direct deposit and went with pnc bank.

September 25th, 2017 Detroit, MI

I love earning flying miles. It is easy to use.

September 25th, 2017 Staten Island, NY

usually i have no complaints but when and if i do they take care of the problem right away.their customer service reps are polite and helpful.

September 25th, 2017 Newport Coast, CA

They have helped when my card was stolen /lost many times over the 35 years we have used AMEX!

September 25th, 2017

Always helpful when I talk to them regarding my account

September 25th, 2017 Fullerton, CA

Itemized statements, good phone representatives, good insurance protection experiences, no fee for foreign currency purchases

September 25th, 2017 Goodyear, AZ

Excellent fraud protection, and cash back

September 25th, 2017 Savannah, GA

they decline every single transaction as :fraud protection:

September 25th, 2017 San Antonio, TX

HASSEL FREE EASY TO DEAL WITH AND VERY HELPFUL

September 17th, 2017

Terrible. Not telling the long story. Had ya for 4 yrs. No longer will. No more needs to be said.

September 14th, 2017 Santa Cruz, CA

Customer service is empowered to make decisions or waive fees. They are always available and understand my issues. They have a pretty good interest rate. But it's mainly that calling customer service NEVER gets me someone who says "That's our policy. I can't do anything about it."

September 14th, 2017 Santa Cruz, CA

September 14th, 2017 Germantown, MD

Good rewards card. Since we pay off each month, we pay no interest and make several hundred dollars each year in rewards that we use to pay off travel.

September 14th, 2017 Silver Spring, MD

Easy to as for assistance and change your payment dates- Get help with APR, get wonderful assistanances.

September 14th, 2017 Irwin, PA

Excellent customer service. Easy to do business with.

September 14th, 2017 Cape Coral, FL

Their machine did not give me $40 I tried to get from bank machine. They subtracted from my money and been trying to get it fixed.

September 13th, 2017 Rapid City, SD

Contact made to the company for both payment and interest rate increase. They were quick and resolved the issue immediately.

September 12th, 2017 Greenwood, MS

They provide excellent customer service.

September 12th, 2017 Delray Beach, FL

Has your back if something goes wrong on a purchase.

September 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Well, American Express is a straight forward, well recognized card that has always been accepted everywhere with no questions asked. One time when there was a mistake on our monthly statement, a single phone call cleared it up in our favor with an apology from the company. Additionally, our card is a full AmEx card under a Delta Sky Miles plan that gives up credit for flights on Delta with every use!

September 12th, 2017 San Francisco, CA

Terrible customer service and follow through, particulalry in travel services.

September 12th, 2017 Matthews, NC

Any time I've had a problem, AMEX Starwood Preferred has expeditiously solved my issues. Stellar customer service support.

September 12th, 2017 Edison, NJ

I really thought this card was a good idea to have, but your money is not protected against unauthorized purchases, I have been trying to resolve an issue but no solution..