Best Company Guarantee Verizon Logo

Verizon

9.0

Verizon Wireless is the largest service provider of wireless telecommunications in the United States with over 150 million subscribers nationwide. In business since 2000, the company was originally a merger of Bell Atlantic and GTE, and over the last several years it has picked up several smaller regional carriers to build the largest wireless network in the United States.

Verizon has a wide variety of products and services to offer customers, including wireless phone service, basic phones, smartphones, tablets, wireless Internet, cloud storage for photos, videos, and other media. Verizon is one of the few companies that allows customers to integrate their Internet devices and cloud media.

Regarding Verizon's quality as a cell phone provider, there are several pros and cons worthy of consideration in addition to the 700+ Verizon reviews below.

The Good

• Devices Available
  • Plans Offered
  • Top Features
  • Smart Family
  • Deals

Devices Available

Verizon has the best selection of phones, including all of the latest Android and Apple devices, including ASUS, Google, LG, Motorola, Palm, Apple, and Samsung brands. Notable recent models include:

• Apple iPhone Xs
  • Apple iPhone Xs Max
  • Apple iPhone Xr
  • Samsung Galaxy S10
  • Samsung Galaxy S10 plus
  • Samsung Galaxy S10e
  • Samsung Galaxy Note9
  • Google Pixel 4

Customers also have the option of device trade-ins or bringing their current phone. In fact, when you switch to Verizon with your current phone, you get a $250 PrePaid Mastercard in addition to a free SIM card when you order one online and pick it up in the store.

In addition, the Verizon store has basic phones (Kyocera, LG, and Sonim brands), certified pre-owned phones, pre-paid phones, and phone accessories like the Apple watch, other wearable tech, HD security cameras, voice-activated wireless speakers, and charging pads.

Plans Offered

Verizon offers a broad variety of plans in order to suit a range of customer needs. Plans include:

• Unlimited ($35-$60 per line per month with autopay)
  • Shared data plans ($35-$70 per month total for an individual or family)
  • Prepaid plans ($30+ per month)
  • International plans (options for travel, prepaid international services, or talk and text from the U.S.)
  • Connected device plans (for tablets, hotspots, and connected devices)
  • Single device plans (for basic phones requiring only talk and text, or a tablet or hotspot requiring minimal data)
  • Business plans for 5+ lines

Top Features

Verizon's premium plan, the AboveUnlimited plan, you pay $60/line per month plus taxes and fees, but you get several unique perks. Here's what you get:

• 75 GB data at 4G LTE speeds
  • Unlimited talk and text
  • HD-quality streaming (720p upload speeds)
  • Unlimited mobile hotspot (20 GB at 4G LTE)
  • Verizon Up Rewards
  • Talk, text, and data to Mexico and Canada
  • 5 TravelPasses per month to use in 185+ countries
  • 500 GB Verizon Cloud
  • Apple Music account

The GoUnlimited and BeyondUnlimited include some of the above features, (including some mobile hotspot data, limited-time Apple Music account, unlimited data, unlimited calls, and unlimited texting) but not all.

Smart Family

Verizon has an in-carrier parental control system that works with the Smart Family app, which costs $9.99/month after a 30-day trial. The app has content filters for apps and websites, location tracking, the ability to pause the internet, and contact blocking capabilities. If you don't want the location tracking feature, you only pay $4.99/month.

Deals

The carrier is continually providing promotional discounts for new phones and new customers but also consistently offers exclusive deals to military and veteran-status personnel, first responders (firefighters, police, EMS workers, retirees, and volunteers), and employees.

The Bad

• Customer Complaints
  • Pricing

Customer Complaints

Customer reviews give insight into some of the challenges customers can face despite the strengths of the provider. Some customers report that they did not like the original phone that they received and had to wait for an extended period of time to get a Verizon credit so that they could move over to a new device.

There are also customers who have experienced long wait times or failure to get their questions answered by tech support. In this case, the popularity of the carrier can be a detriment to the customer service experience.

Pricing

Verizon's reputation as the carrier with the best network coverage comes at a price. Prices for Verizon's unlimited plans start at $35/line per month and cost up to $60/line per month. Other carriers are generally more affordable. However, you usually get what you pay for.

Per Verizon's terms and conditions, if you cancel a line of service after 14 days of signing a contract, you must pay an early termination fee.

The Bottom Line

Verizon offers one of the most complete cell phone service packages available on the market, excellent network coverage, and it has strong overall customer reviews despite the occasional negative feedback.

Customers who decide to go with Verizon as their cell phone provider can expect the following:

• Extensive phone selection: Verizon has all phones in high demand and offers financing
  • Unlimited talk and text: this is standard with all packages
  • Unique perks: an Apple music account is included with the unlimited plans
  • Easy to expand service: add lines or set up a business account with ease
  • Billing features: customers can text in to inquire about their account usage status for that billing cycle
  • Parental controls: the Smart Family app gives parents phone monitoring tools

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

4.0

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

My wife and I have a difference of opinions on Verizon. My wife wanted to make the switch due to the fact that she could not get service in her building and with Verizon she could. I go all over the state at times with my job and there are times that I don't have service in places that I did have in places with my previous provider. We have had no issue's with customer service and we have had to call them more than I would like to say. We have had to replace phones, change plans and add and subtract lines with no problems at all.

Dennis K Spokane, WA

Verizon has been and still is the elite cell phone provider, there is no question about that, excellent service, customer service, broadband speed, and selection of phones/tablets for sale, that’s why they are also the elite when it comes to the price of monthly service . What you pay is what you get though, however I think that I can get great cell phone service around my city as well for much less then what it costs with Verizon.

Olivia Russell Georgetown, SC

For the most part, it has good service. The website is a bit confusing but the biggest issue: ever since I switched to Verizon the spam calls tripled. Unfortunately, they have better coverage in the remote areas I travel to, so I put up with the spam. ( not even their spam stopper makes a difference). Otherwise, I would go with the cheaper competition.

6 hours ago

Diana Armes Wallace Batesville, AR

We have been customers of Verizon for more than 12 years. Until this past year, my husband was a truck driver and Verizon is the company that has the best phone service throughout the US. Now that he’s retired, we will keep Verizon because of their dependability.

Jean Durbin Litchfield, IL

The reception where I live is great, but we are currently in another state and the reception is horrible. Usually, 0-1 bar on a good day & forget anything once you go in a building. The first time I spoke with customer service, the agent was very understanding & opened a ticket for the Technical Engineer Dept to check into the issue. After I responded to a general text asking where I was having reception issues, the ticket was closed without any response from the company regarding the resolution. I called a 2nd time & again, the agent was very helpful & understanding. He could not find the original ticket & opened a new one. He also searched for a nearby 4G Verizon tower & found that there was one about 5 miles away. We are in an area that is mostly small towns of about 1-5k people, and only 30 miles from 2 major cities. With those demographics, one would think the reception would be better. A couple of days later I received a message from Verizon with a generic video answer attached, basically stating that they could not do anything to boost the signal in this area & perhaps I should buy a wifi booster (how does that help me outside or anyplace that is not by the booster?). Was nice to talk to a live agent, but that was the end of the human contact. Too bad! Too bad we're stuck with Verizon until our phones are paid off, or I'd switch companies now that had humans responding and actually tried to resolve the issue.

Pati Ogletree Phoenix, AZ

Verizon has really dropped the ball on customer service. Been a customer for over 10 years and their customer service has gone down hill. Very disappointing but they do have good cellular towers.

Dance Dad Winston-Salem, NC

I have been with Verizon on and off for over 10 years. Their service should be compared to no others. It is hands down the most reliable service when it comes to overall coverage of the USA for me.

Sarah Risley Natchitoches, LA

Crappy customer service. No one can ever fix your problem. Their service is never any good especially internet. I have blocked a number on my line and it can still call and text me. so that feature i pay for and it doesnt work. I also had the insurance on my phone i pay for it extra every month so if my phone break i dont have to work out all that money for a new one. They advertise it as you can get your screen fixed anywhere at no cost if your have the insurance. and that they can come to your house and do it !! 100% a lie ..i had to pay over 200.00 for a new phone after i pay all this money on insurance. Not to mention i bought my phone brad new and i had to send my broken phone in to get fixed and instead of sending me a brand new phone like i had originally purchased less than 6 months prior they sent a used phone

Roseann Goodale Jacksonville, FL

Service used to be the best everywhere however here lately it does not seem to be very good not sure why and customer service can't advise. Just want me to upgrade . My husband has the top of the line phone and has the same issue.

Ella Endicott, NY

Neve again, and YOU don’t have too! Had them over 8 years, the highest possible charges for 1 line. They just are evil and greedy. They are however intelligent and hire pretty intelligent people. So you will get someone to help you and explains how to do something, however you will pay a high price—-but WHY would you? Due to their greed many left and others have stepped up their game. I feel more wholesome business motives or roots in other companies with similar service than Verizon. Never want to be part of that again. Suck you dry—-bad roots Excellent coverage Excellent service Smart people and managers Start a business relationship in place that is healthier: Now you have choices and that means you the customer can be in a better and more in control of both your who provides for cell service and their customer service capacity. Feel better about not doing business with a crook/greed. Viva la competition!

Kathy Vinski Cape Coral, FL

Love my service, very rarely do I have service issues. There offers for phones however are not the best most of the time. I have had Verizon for over ten years. I would like to see better phone offers on new phones for upgrades

Michelle Thomason Daphne, AL

We’ve had Verizon for several years, after not getting good reception at our home from a previous provider. When our service was spotty, they offered to put a booster on our home which helped a lot. They have always been very responsive and good to work with.

COLLEEN STARKE Lithonia, GA

VERIZON WIRELESS HAS ALWAYS BEEN DEPENDABLE FOR ME. I CAN COUNT ON THEM TO SOLVE MY PHONE PROBLEMS WHEN THEY ARISE AND OF COURSE I GET THE BEST SERVICE THROUGH VERIZON. I DO HAVE OTHER CELL PHONE CARRIERS AND MY VERIZON HARDLY EVER GIVES ME BAD SERVICE NO MATTER WHERE I AM.

K.H. Tehachapi, CA

Verizon seems to have the best service where we live. However, over the last couple of years we have started losing service and getting dropped calls in places we never used to. I wish that Verizon, (for the amount we pay each month), would figure out how to increase their service to their customers. We need fewer dead spots, dropped calls and lower prices. Overall Verizon is still the best wireless service out there.

JoAnn Carroll Oklahoma City, OK

I’ve been with Verizon for a while & they are helpful in answering & solving my phone issues because I’m not tech knowledgey savvy.

Heavensenthorse Clermont, FL

We have been a Verizon customer for years. We love the availablitiy of Verizon while we travel the eastern states. I did not give it a 5 star due to price only. It is stupid expensive compared to others.

Joshua Squire Ogden, UT

Verizon is the most reliable service in my area. I like to spend a lot of time up in the mountains and I always have a signal longer than my friends with other providers. The plans are more expensive than other competitors but overall I have had a good experience with Verizon.

Marissa Mitchell Hobbs, NM

I have been with Verizon for over 17 years and have never had an issue with service in very remote areas. I have always had excellent customer service throughout all the years of random issues one would encounter!

Jerry Harker Heights, TX

They have their issues such as coverage of certain locations statewide, but overall they work everywhere you travel to. Prices on phones are reasonable, good quality service technicians and courteous representatives, human touch with real people yet their recorded technical help is awesome.

Mike Ashurst, Sr Prattville, AL

Price is somewhat on the high side but the service coverage is outstanding. 5G rollout is kind of slow but it's coming! Switched from T-Mobile to Verizon some five or six years ago.

Taylor Lindholm Boston, MA

Verizon gets the job done with lots of options of the newest and top-of-line devices in the market. I’ve always been pleased with device availability and pricing. Connection is quite good in both rural and metropolitan areas of my home state. The review is a 3 because of the customer service I have received from the business side of their services. Otherwise, in store and on the phone, I have been given excellent customer service with personal-use phone services.

Liquid_Robot TE Florence, SC

Verizon is the best and second to no other wireless network. Worked for Verizon for 5 years a long time ago and would highly recommend them to anyone who needs a great phone and internet provider.

Debra Jones Minneapolis, MN

I've been a customer with Verizon for about 15 years. I would not switch to any other mobile company. I love all of their services and products offered. The sales representatives are always friendly

Robert Beaumont Chicago, IL

Excellent and very honest help by manager at Verizon store in Hugo. My phone battery swelled and I needed a new phone. I received great help from Grace and I successfully had my new phone up and running in no time. Thanks.

Andrea Wheaton, IL

I recently switched to Verizon because their rates are finally more competitive! Shocking really since they are often the most expensive. The service has been fantastic. I no longer have dropped calls and the 5G is AMAZING. Its faster than the wifi at my work. I'm a huge fan of Verizon these days!

Cruz Jimenez San Antonio, TX

I am always late paying my bill and have never had my service disconnected. I completely understand the multiple messages they send me that my payment is late. Coverage is fantastic on the many long stretches of open highway in Texas.

Amanda Stephan Knoxville, TN

Service can be spotty at times, as service with other carriers can be. But any time I have had an issue, I have found customer support/IT staff to be very patient, helpful, and downright pleasant to deal with. Be aware of contract shadiness. If you have the original unlimited plan, the company will try to trick you into "upgrading" which will land you with an "unlimited" plan that is not truly unlimited.

Michael Kindschi Madison, WI

Verizon's monthly costs in the ballpark with other cellular vendors, but in my experience, the service at their stores leaves a lot to be had. In short, their in-person customer service is poor.

Gabby Everett, MA

Very little help. Most of the time you’re on your own. Their barged are too much and takes forever to get issues resolved. Still operating like the days of old. Slow to respond.

Even Sax Alameda, CA

Terrible Terrible Terrible. They say that they are the "most advanced coverage", but the truth is that the service is not great (at least not here) I end up using internet calling because mobil service calls are typically not great. 5g still not in most places. The most troubling thing is the pricing though. They give you one price for the cost of service but then add on a ton of taxes and "service charges" so you can count on your bill being 20%-40% over what you actually expected.

Pamr McKinney, TX

Verizon wireless my cheating partner - You are stuck till you find out. Wow. Verizon is for sure reading all this but not claiming this or responding to anyone. No worries I moved from ATT to Verizon wireless 3 months ago. My experiences with leadership team ( Tier 2 customer service ) 1. This department calls themselves as leadership but they are tier 2 customer service. For sure to ask for ‘Office of Management or CEO’ . They will avoid it by lying but if you insist they will set up a call. Office of Managemnet may take 24-48 hours to respond, even if customer issue is 911. 2. Since joining Verizon I had six experiences with Verizon leadership ( Tier 2 ) and one with office of leadership /CEO. 3. I got a call from this office from a male named Carlos. Call details A) Carlos heard me for 35-40 minutes and tried to show his calm. As I finished sharing my experiences with leadership ( Tier 2) stating with facts they are 1. Not true leadership and lack the skills and Need to be trained 2. They need not make promises if they can’t follow through. Which means directly they lie on your face 3. They are disrespectful and talk over you. They don’t listen at all. They just want to talk. 4. They have some level of fear from office of leadership, who is just like them. 5. They will never change with time. They still live in 19th century mindset. As you know most Verizon employees retire from the company so they have been around for 25-35 years. 6. There website, app and new credit card looks fine but their website is misleading. The marketing department is doing a poor job in publishing offers which are misleading, not transparent. In other words they are duping you and not letting you exercise their rights. As customer gets attracted to these offers with no specific disclaimers they learn they are trapped. FYI All offers are contingent on your spending limit on account. It’s not mentioned anywhere. For example their latest offer of free iphone purple mini 64 GB will be offered it you add or port a line. When asked from leadership why did your telesales, customer service and porting Dept not share this critical information. The leadership responds this is our internal policy. If you ask to show you a copy they will deny. What does that mean. Millions of telephone subscribers are shopping around for new carrier and offers. They are mislead by Verizon leadership ( Tier 2) and office of leadership, who don’t want to take responsibility of what is going on. They state ‘customer should know it’ Wow. Right? Carlos as I finished talking said thank you for VENTING. I told him I was not venting but stating facts / incidents / name of leadership ( Tier 2 customer service) with date stamped. I was sincerely giving a constructive feedback. I asked Carlos to take his words back. He denied. As the call progresses Carlos was speaking the same language which I have been hearing for 3 month ( similar personalty) of Tier 2 support. He continued to defend actions of his tier 2 leadership and marketing Dept. I told him to look at the offer later on his own. He said which offer? Then days immediately it states based on credit check? Fact is account is already opened and there is no credit check needed. Spending limit is decided already. When I told Carlos i am adding your name in my list, suddenly he changed his demeanor and become soft spoken and polite. What a change? He asked what I wanted. He talked with such conviction as if he will fix Verizon mindset right away. I simply stated they need to honor there offer. He declined and shared same answer like his tier 2 leadership. I could read between lines several tines he was very unhappy to hear the truth. No one likes to see their face if shown. I also informed him I could hear he is not happy with my constructive feedback. He denied. I knew taking to Verizon was waste of time. Carlos forgot the basic lesson learnt of business ‘ Listen to customer, mediate and do your best’ The reason being it’s because of customers they have a Job. I stated to him is was not a good idea on Verizon part to annoy customers. I have personally seen big business fail due to poor leadership. Time changes but certain entities or people never change unless they go through setbacks.

Amy Smith Cresskill, NJ

Let me first start by saying I’ve been a Verizon customer for over 20 years. I usually have two phones on my account. I am completely and utterly disappointed and saddened by Verizon. Time after time with different customer service representatives I had to use my time and energy to voice the same concerns over and over again. It all started when they came out with the new iPhone 12 Pro. They had a promo that would credit your bill $440 for the exchange of my iPhone XR which was in excellent condition. I saw this promo and said “you know, what the heck, let me just go for it and upgrade”. However, when I received my bill, it was a completely different story. Oddly, my bill kept increasing month after month with no legitimate justification or explanation. After the eighth time of calling trying to have someone fix the situation I ended it with Verizon once and for all. I told them to keep the phone I’m done. With this said.. I was really saddened by this, given my trust & dedication to this company for so many years and then being treated so poorly by them, left a bitter taste in my mouth. I am and forever done with Verizon. I’ve encouraged all of my business partners, friends, family & associates to ditch them. Unfortunately lack of training, lack of following up and lack of customer service skills leads to a company breakdown from the inside out. So sad, take your business elsewhere.

Kathy Miller Titusville, FL

I have been a customer of Verizon for 25 years. Their phone service is excellent and their customer service is superior. They are a little pricier than others, but I'm overall satisfied

Kenneth Brooks Madison, AL

I rarely if ever find a dead spot to use my phone. The service is excellent, I have been with Verizon for over 15 years and still enjoy what they offer.

carole abel Charlotte, NC

Been with them for over 10 years. Customer service is fabulous. I regularly compare family plans and they are worth the extra $10 / per line difference

Fred Frontino Mesa, AZ

I had Verizon for over 15 years because they always had the best signal. last year I bought a house just north of Phoenix and could not get any kind of call through. Texts made it sometimes, but not always. When I talked to the local store they had no idea if they were going to be adding towers in our area. I had to switch to ATT who just built a tower I can see from my front porch. Now I get 5G.

Jmarsh Macomb, MI

I have been a Verizon customer for over 15 years. I liked how they used to offer free upgrades and upgrade fees. Now, you have to purchase a new phone over a 24 month period of time which most of the time the phone is junky by the time you are done paying for it, so then you have to purchase a new one. It's perpetual phone payments verse just paying for a service. If you ask for them to waive the upgrade fee they usually honor that, otherwise it's a sly way for them to make more money off of you. Good luck!

Debbie Prevo Dayton, OH

My husband introduced me to Verizon so I left my other carrier. I get great reception where I didn’t before. If I have questions about my personal phone or work phone, they help every time.

Luis Jose San Antonio, TX

Verizon is great company, I have been with them for many years. I get great coverage and great service. I will not change for the any other company. Great service FIVE STARS again!!

Tony Irizarry Buffalo, NY

The best coverage and also the most reliable out there right now. Their month to month plans are a better deal for your money. Great and knowledgeable agents every time you go there.

Daniel Johnson Wonder Lake, IL

I have never experienced better service and quality with any other carrier as I have with Verizon. I plan on sticking with them for all my communicative needs for a very long time.

William Koryciak Clarkston, MI

I’ve always liked the service and the selection. Shuffle years ago I was at the Statue of Liberty in New York, when the Park service began evacuating us from the island. Everybody was beating their telephones trying to get them to work! I picked up my Verizon flip phone, and saw that I had five bars, so I called my aunt and Clint Michigan and asked her what was going on. Well it appeared at that point in time that most of the eastern seaboard was blacked out and Verizon was the only satyrs company that was operational at that time!

Angela Ward Chicago, IL

Outstanding customer service. Patient, knowledgeable and tolerant for those of us who are not tech savvy. The Sales Rep stayed with me until the very end, to make sure that my transaction for an phone upgrade, and the the purchase was completed. Although there was a "systems glitch", the Agent knew how to over ride it so that our transaction would be completed with success. She never gave up. Verizon's customer service is the best!

Lynne Wilson ,

I have used Verizon for well over 20 years, even before they were Verizon. The service provided has been reliable and they offer many extra things that other providers charge extra for. They have notified me when there is a plan that would better fit my usage or if there is a plan that can save me money. With the web site, it's so easy to check on anything you need from getting more services, a new phone or just check on your bill and pay it.

Amariecan Burke, VA

Great cell service everywhere I go, never have an issue with my billing, and great phone selections!

Christian Maxwell Ogden, UT

I think verizon has solid service and great coverage. However you really got to pay up for it as well as it is significantly more than most other providers.

Julie Baier

Verizon works in areas that I needed to make sure coverage would be reliable. AT&T doesn’t work at my sons school campus.

Katie W-V Phoenix, AZ

They used to be a poor value but they have really improved their rate plans over the last year. Their customer service still could use some work though.

Gary Kapanowski Macomb, MI

Customer service during the pandemic was terrible. There was no local help and reaching Verizon on the phone was impossible. Cost are very high for poor customer service. Switched to T-Mobile. The costs are much less. The service is same and the support is available by phone and local stores are open.

kimberli eicher Bend, OR

Total rip off. I was with Verizon for several years, yet every single time I upgraded my phone, I would be Promised in the store that it was a "free upgrade" and "no additional fees would show up on future bills"- yet without fail, my bills increased between $80-$120 a month! When I tried to address these changes and all the promises given to me in store, there was never anything they could do. Whomever I spoke to just seemed "baffled" and not once was my bill fixed. Horrible, dishonest company.