Verizon

Verizon Logo

8.3

Verizon

Verizon Wireless offers a variety of plans with great 4G LTE coverage and a plethora of phones to choose from

Verizon Wireless, also known as “Verizon” to customers, is the largest provider of wireless telecommunications in the United States. They have over 123,000,000 subscribers, and have 2,330 store locations throughout the fifty states. Verizon Wireless has been in business since 2000. Verizon was originally a merger of Bell Atlantic and GTE, and over the last ten or so years, has picked up several smaller regional carriers to build the largest wireless network in the United States. Verizon also has a wide variety of products and services available to its clients. In addition to basic phones and smartphones, customers can purchase tablets, wireless Internet for their computer, as well as other products that can help customers access Verizon’s cloud to store photos, video clips and other media. Verizon is one of the few companies making it possible for customers to “integrate” their Internet devices and cloud media.

The Good

• Great phone options
  • Affordable plan options
  • Family plans

After reviewing Verizon's services, there are several quality components of their business model that should be pointed out. Verizon has the best selection of phones for their clients. They sell 26 different Android devices, meaning that the customer can choose a popular operating system and have plenty of different devices to try out. Verizon also has several models of the BlackBerry operating system. BlackBerry is still a popular phone device among many different business decision makers. There are also several Windows phones to choose from. Most providers do not offer the same options when it comes to BlackBerry and Windows operating systems.

For most contract carriers, they really "jack up" their data prices as you increase the number of gigabytes that you get per month. We found that the pricing for each service level did grow incrementally, but it was not an "exponential" curve as we found with other carriers such as US Cellular. The More EVERYTHING plan tops out at 100 GB, but the pricing is pretty affordable if you select this monthly option. It is also important to note that all plans included unlimited talk and text.

Verizon includes its overage fees in a clear, understandable language to keep their customers from being charged for services they did not realize were covered. The overage fees are also not outrageous. We found that 1-gigabyte plans and higher are subject to a $15 fee for each gigabyte of overage. It is also helpful that Verizon states the average use per Verizon customers. This is a helpful metric for when selecting a data plan.

Verizon also makes it easy to expand your plan to serve a family or a small business. Verizon's family plan is structured very clearly and the data plan price doesn't increase, you just pay slightly more for each individual line. If you purchase a 10 GB plan for your family (the recommended), it is going to be very easy to monitor this among all the lines that use the same data plan.

Lastly, Verizon provides texting features for billing. There are several different "texting" shortcuts that clients can use to check their bill status, inquire about their data usage, and even check one's status toward upgrade eligibility. This is truly one of the best text interfaces for checking on one's account in the industry.

The Bad

• Customer issues
  • Long wait times for customer service
  • Terms and conditions are not clear

Since Verizon is one of the largest cell phone carriers in the world, it is only reasonable to expect that there will be unhappy customers. Most commonly, customers reported that they did not like the original phone that they received and had to wait for an extended period of time to get a credit so that they could move over to a new device.

From a customer service experience, there are customers who have experienced long wait times or failure to get their questions answered. There wasn't an easy-to-find email form to email a customer service representative. Their live chat feature was also somewhat clunky and slow. The site also made it somewhat difficult to understand the difference between the Everything MORE and Single Line plans.

Verizon is also not very clear when it comes to the smartphone versus iPhone device service line additions. The exact terms and conditions are not outlined clearly and Verizon made it look as if the customer had to get an iPhone as part of their More EVERYTHING contract. However, our experts have found that the customer could purchase a plan without an iPhone. Also, there is the addition of Verizon EDGE to some products. Prospective customers should look into that as well before enrolling in the service.

Another issue that current customers have had with Verizon was the paperless statement option. Verizon currently does not offer an incentive for the customer to change over to this option and customers said they didn't always receive their email on time. One customer didn't get their paperless statement and found that this caused them to get behind on their payments. Fortunately, the customer was credited back their late fees and was able to get their service going again. Verizon should make its paperless statements more customer-friendly and give its customers an incentive to use paperless billing.

Our experts found some non-contract carriers that gave their customers a discount if they set up an automatic payment. We felt that a contract solution with a similar premise would create less confusion for customers if they elected the paperless statement format.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Verizon offers one of the most complete cell phone service packages available on the market. Verizon is the largest provider of wireless services in the United States and is a great fit for many different customers, as their products and services are customizable for many different situations. Those who decide to go with Verizon can expect the following:

• Extensive phone selection - Verizon offers almost every phone operating system available
  • Unlimited Talk and Text - this is standard with their pricing packages
  • Easy to expand service - add lines or set up a business account with ease
  • Billing features - customers can text in to inquire about billing information
  • Limited customer service - it can be difficult to get basic questions answered in a reasonable period of time
  • Technology issues with paperless billing - customers will still need to stay on top of their billing

3.8

Sofie Rosenvall
September 19th, 2018 Alpine, UT

I have been a paying customer of Verizon Wireless for over 15 years... We have great service, great products and every time I call into their customer service I am treated with respect and they are always very helpful... Reason they aren't getting 5 stars is because I wish they would figure out their data, I feel like we sometimes get raked over the coals in paying for Data, wish Verizon would fix this one part... Other then that great company!

Monica Veik
September 17th, 2018 Humphrey, NE DETAILS

I'm satisfied. Don't like to visit their office. Never enough helped

Friend
September 17th, 2018 Fisherville, MA DETAILS

A very good provider that is tending to be a little too expensive.

JULI LAWRENCE
September 17th, 2018 Wittmann, AZ DETAILS

I like the coverage area. I can get calls or texts almost anywhere. That is very important to me. As far as improvements, the billing system and charges needs to be simplified. Costs need to come down.

Lisa
September 17th, 2018 Dawsonville, GA DETAILS

Service is spotty at best and way to expensive

Melissa Gillings
September 17th, 2018

Quick data, very few dropped calls! I really like their multiple plans right now!

Sarah Ava
September 17th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

We switched over to Verizon after being with T-Mobile for years, mainly because of their coverage. We’re able to get service where we couldn’t with our previous carrier, and have had great service while out on road trips. Their plans are more expensive which is the only downside, but you get what you pay for. Customer service has always been helpful when we call in.

Jennifer Greenwood
September 17th, 2018 Draper, UT

I have been so pleased with Verizon. When other people can’t get reception I almost always can. The price is reasonable and the service is good.

Amber
September 17th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

We have had verizon for15 years. It has worked really well for us. The coverage is a little spotty in Idaho which we visit often so that’s a downfall. But overall we have had a good experience with it.

Whitney Hawkes
September 17th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

We have used Verison for many years now and we have loved it. I love how there is now unlimited data and how the WiFi is really good.

Haley Evers
September 17th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I use Verizon. it’s definitely changed how I see stuff. It works really good. The only part I don’t like is the payment and that’s the worst part of it. If you don’t like paying a lit I still believe it’s worth it but it’s still a lot of money.

Shari Evers
September 18th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I have had multiple cell phone providers and Verizon has by far been the fastest and has had the most coverage then the other providers I’ve been on!

Tracy
September 17th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Verizon has good coverage, and I have had good customer service in their stores. It is hard to get a hold of a real representative on the phone however.

POLYANA LAVAKI
September 17th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

My husband have verizon and his employer pays for it. I am always jealous when he gets network everywhere and I dont(I have Tmobile). I dont recall him never having network problem.

Tori Miller
September 17th, 2018 Draper, UT

Verizon has excellent coverage and customer service. They will do what they need to do to keep your business and compete with other cell phone companies. The stores are easy to find and there is always one near to you.

Celia
September 13th, 2018 Waipahu, HI

Had Verizon before switching over to TMobile. Didnt like the service, didnt like the prices, didnt like the customer service. Maybe it was just area or that store. Im happy with TMobile.

Steve Mathews
September 10th, 2018 DETAILS

FIOS works well most of the time. Speed is almost always what it is supposed to be. But, boy, when you gotta call for help, what a nightmare. Next to impossible to get the reps to LISTEN when you don't have a run of the mill problem. They keep repeating their scripts that don't apply.

Katherine Galliart
September 7th, 2018

I've been with Verizon for over a decade now. I have only had problems with a PHONE, NOT Verizon. Which isn't their fault it's the manufacturer's problem. If I did have an issue with Verizon, it was taken care of very quickly. If I was in a financial snag, they have been so great in helping me set up a different payment plan until I was able to get back to "normal." Helping customers like that is so importing. Stuff happens and great to know that they were willing to work with me as long as I communicated with them what was going on.

Roy C
September 6th, 2018 Farmington, MI DETAILS

Their roadside assistance is absolutely terrible. I’ve used them 5 times in 2 years, never waited less than 3 hours for the truck to show. They don’t care and have zero power to get the company moving faster. Not only that, every company they work with is rude and incredibly uncaring.

Jo Lars
August 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

With Verizon Stores all across the country, it is easy to get face to face help no matter where you are! And when you can't go into a store, their phone support is great! Their app makes it easy to track your bill and data usage. Cell coverage can not be beat!

Shanna
August 31st, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Verizon has excellent coverage. I have really liked using them. They are a little more expensive than other carriers but I don't mind paying more for better coverage.

James Larson
August 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been with Verizon for years and years. The thing which keeps me with them is their wide range of service. You can go to even very remote areas and still have some bars. If I ever left, though, it would be because of how expensive they are getting. But I haven't left yet, so hopefully they stay competitive.

Sherri Rose
August 31st, 2018 Orem, UT

Service is great. Coverage is great. Can't give it a 5 star, because it costs quite a bit more than other providers. If you are willing to pay for it, it Verizon is a good provider.

wanda
August 31st, 2018 Saint George, UT

great monthly payment, updates when i have upgrade available, customer service is wonderful and helpful. my payments are on auto pay which i really like. they help you when you have to set up a payment plan.

DP
August 30th, 2018 Vancouver, WA

I've had Verizon for years with a work phone. Always seems to get good coverage and clear calls. I'd recommend.

Melissa Reinoso
August 30th, 2018 Herriman, UT

I have them right now and they are great. They try to make sure that when I have a question or concern that it is taken care of right away and not pushed to the back.

Kim Miller
August 29th, 2018 Lindon, UT

We have had our business phones with Verizon for as long as the company has been Verizon. We love their service and the way they are always helping us change and update our plan as needed.

Leslie
August 29th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

The coverage is great and I never get dropped calls. I've noticed that Verizon is a little more expensive than other providers, though.

Derek Scoville
August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Very reliable service. Easy company to work with. Seemed more expensive than other companies.

Sandy Saddler
August 29th, 2018 Sandy, UT

Great company and customer service. I would highly recommend them. I’ve been with them for quite some time.

Tualagi
August 29th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Better than Sprint, Cricket, Boost, AT&T and Tmobile. I have been with all these companies and Verizon beats them all because they actually care about there customers. They are helpful, billing never overcharges, my statements are accurate, price is cheaper for a family plan, and i like the upgrades.

deb
August 29th, 2018 Midvale, UT

They use to be very reliable but past year having trouble connecting and able to hear on both ends,

Lisa
August 29th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

I have been with Verizon for several years for my Cell phones. I love the coverage they have. I can go almost anywhere in the mountains and still have coverage. I would highly recommend their service.

Darrin Henry
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Verizon is the best provider by far, but you do have to pay for what you are getting, because they are the most expensive too.

Joy Henry
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Our family has been with Verizon for over 16 years and have been very happy with the service, products, and ease of taking care of problems when needed. They have a great warranty service and very good cell range coverage where ever we go. We have a family plan with 7 lines and unlimited data and it's very easy to take care of our bill through auto pay.

Preston Fowler
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Verizon is always reliable and you can always count on having service in even the most remote of places

Mali
August 28th, 2018 Orem, UT

i have been a customer of Verizon for many many years and i absolutely LOVE them! i have no complaints at all! Excellent customer service, offers paperless billing straight to my email, they offer a decent price on warranties.

L Fowler
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

My husband loves the coverage that he receives with Verizon. They are a little more expense than other companies but they seem to get coverage in places that other companies fall short.

Dylan Findlay
August 28th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I have used Verizon for my cell phone provider for years. The coverage is great and I rarely get dropped or muffled calls. The only problem I have is that it’s easy to get confused by the pricing and customer service always gives differing information, depending on who you speak to.

Douglas Larson
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We have used their service for years. We like it because we have service at our remote cabin.