Best Company Guarantee Verizon Logo

Verizon

9.0

LAST UPDATED: September 20th, 2021

Verizon Wireless is the largest service provider of wireless telecommunications in the United States with over 150 million subscribers nationwide. In business since 2000, the company was originally a merger of Bell Atlantic and GTE, and over the last several years it has picked up several smaller regional carriers to build the largest wireless network in the United States.

Verizon has a wide variety of products and services to offer customers, including wireless phone service, basic phones, smartphones, tablets, wireless Internet, cloud storage for photos, videos, and other media. Verizon is one of the few companies that allows customers to integrate their Internet devices and cloud media.

Regarding Verizon's quality as a cell phone provider, there are several pros and cons worthy of consideration in addition to the 700+ Verizon reviews below.

The Good

• Devices Available
  • Plans Offered
  • Top Features
  • Smart Family
  • Deals

Devices Available

Verizon has the best selection of phones, including all of the latest Android and Apple devices, including ASUS, Google, LG, Motorola, Palm, Apple, and Samsung brands. Notable recent models include:

• Apple iPhone Xs
  • Apple iPhone Xs Max
  • Apple iPhone Xr
  • Samsung Galaxy S10
  • Samsung Galaxy S10 plus
  • Samsung Galaxy S10e
  • Samsung Galaxy Note9
  • Google Pixel 4

Customers also have the option of device trade-ins or bringing their current phone. In fact, when you switch to Verizon with your current phone, you get a $250 PrePaid Mastercard in addition to a free SIM card when you order one online and pick it up in the store.

In addition, the Verizon store has basic phones (Kyocera, LG, and Sonim brands), certified pre-owned phones, pre-paid phones, and phone accessories like the Apple watch, other wearable tech, HD security cameras, voice-activated wireless speakers, and charging pads.

Plans Offered

Verizon offers a broad variety of plans in order to suit a range of customer needs. Plans include:

• Unlimited ($35-$60 per line per month with autopay)
  • Shared data plans ($35-$70 per month total for an individual or family)
  • Prepaid plans ($30+ per month)
  • International plans (options for travel, prepaid international services, or talk and text from the U.S.)
  • Connected device plans (for tablets, hotspots, and connected devices)
  • Single device plans (for basic phones requiring only talk and text, or a tablet or hotspot requiring minimal data)
  • Business plans for 5+ lines

Top Features

Verizon's premium plan, the AboveUnlimited plan, you pay $60/line per month plus taxes and fees, but you get several unique perks. Here's what you get:

• 75 GB data at 4G LTE speeds
  • Unlimited talk and text
  • HD-quality streaming (720p upload speeds)
  • Unlimited mobile hotspot (20 GB at 4G LTE)
  • Verizon Up Rewards
  • Talk, text, and data to Mexico and Canada
  • 5 TravelPasses per month to use in 185+ countries
  • 500 GB Verizon Cloud
  • Apple Music account

The GoUnlimited and BeyondUnlimited include some of the above features, (including some mobile hotspot data, limited-time Apple Music account, unlimited data, unlimited calls, and unlimited texting) but not all.

Smart Family

Verizon has an in-carrier parental control system that works with the Smart Family app, which costs $9.99/month after a 30-day trial. The app has content filters for apps and websites, location tracking, the ability to pause the internet, and contact blocking capabilities. If you don't want the location tracking feature, you only pay $4.99/month.

Deals

The carrier is continually providing promotional discounts for new phones and new customers but also consistently offers exclusive deals to military and veteran-status personnel, first responders (firefighters, police, EMS workers, retirees, and volunteers), and employees.

The Bad

• Customer Complaints
  • Pricing

Customer Complaints

Customer reviews give insight into some of the challenges customers can face despite the strengths of the provider. Some customers report that they did not like the original phone that they received and had to wait for an extended period of time to get a Verizon credit so that they could move over to a new device.

There are also customers who have experienced long wait times or failure to get their questions answered by tech support. In this case, the popularity of the carrier can be a detriment to the customer service experience.

Pricing

Verizon's reputation as the carrier with the best network coverage comes at a price. Prices for Verizon's unlimited plans start at $35/line per month and cost up to $60/line per month. Other carriers are generally more affordable. However, you usually get what you pay for.

Per Verizon's terms and conditions, if you cancel a line of service after 14 days of signing a contract, you must pay an early termination fee.

The Bottom Line

Verizon offers one of the most complete cell phone service packages available on the market, excellent network coverage, and it has strong overall customer reviews despite the occasional negative feedback.

Customers who decide to go with Verizon as their cell phone provider can expect the following:

• Extensive phone selection: Verizon has all phones in high demand and offers financing
  • Unlimited talk and text: this is standard with all packages
  • Unique perks: an Apple music account is included with the unlimited plans
  • Easy to expand service: add lines or set up a business account with ease
  • Billing features: customers can text in to inquire about their account usage status for that billing cycle
  • Parental controls: the Smart Family app gives parents phone monitoring tools

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

4.0

Chris Raum Goose Creek, SC

I have never had any issues with Verizon after using them for several years. I only use their mobile service/data and have been able to handle most everything over the browser with ease, so have had little experience with their customer service. The service has always been excellent, and while there are occasional dead zones, it is by far the most reliable carrier I have used. My wife uses another carrier, and she often loses service and data while I do not, and it is very rare that the opposite happens, but this is likely affected by location, so you're mileage may vary.

J.A. Fort Lauderdale, FL

Service- PERFECTION Price- INSANE I have had LEGIT $750+ bills EVERY month since COVID-19. NO assistance, No break- just "Pay it or lose your service". I pay it, and I cannot wait to get out of it in March! They late fee everything. They credited my account almost $500 the first outrageous bill... Then it got taken back. CLEARED with NO EXISTANCE! Customer Service is A JOKE! In-Stores are mainly NOT CORPORATE so they cannot pull up this information and CORPORATE stores managers do not even know what to say. They shut phone off twice in one month after they took away the credit. AND CHARGED ME $60 TWICW that month for doing it. THIS IS FOR 3 LINES. IPHONE 11 PRO MAX IPHONE 11 PRO BS MIFI that I got scammed into buying without them mentioning a monthly contracted service fee for the service on it.

Ann Horst San Antonio, TX

I absolutely love my Prepaid Verizon Cell phone service. After three months they brought the price down $5 per month which is so helpful. And it's still coming down. And one month, I ran out of data because I forgot to use wifi, and I was able to just add $10 worth of data super easily. Love my plan. I don't want to leave them even if I find it cheaper elsewhere because it's Verizon and I trust their service.

Tracey Robinson Capitol Heights, MD

I got Verizon 7/4 for my business and I have ha bad service and bad customer service and I can’t do business with this poor service and Verizon doesn’t care🤬when I’m on a call the person can’t hear me and if I’m trying to look at a app the internet doesn’t work and I’ve been to the store several times and have called and that’s just some of my issues 👎🏼 Please don’t waste your time or money because it’s not worth it💔

K.M. P. Charlotte, NC

They were expensive & really restrictive when it came to phones that you could use. I felt like by the time you paid off your phone, it would need to be replaced or wouldn't work properly. Didn't feel like I got good service & it would always take forever to get help at the storefront.

Blaine Stiegelmeyer Virginia Beach, VA

Verizon has been my choice in cell phone companies for many years. I have been able to get service in many areas my friends, who have other services, have not. Whenever l have had a problem they have been able to fix it quickly, many times at no cost.

Sara Schroeder Warren, MI

I've been with Verizon ever since I got my first cell phone and phone number 20 years ago. If there is ever an issue or if I have a question about new plans or products, I always receive the best service over the phone or in the store. Thank you Verizon!

Andrea Thomas Bellevue, WA

I don’t know why I left Verizon for the 7 years because the 12 years of being with them and now being back for under a year, I LOVE their customer service, their services are always working, and I’m happy. I won’t ever leave them again, even for a super big deal. I highly recommend Verizon.

Stacy Carter Red Cliff, CO

I've had great experience with Verizon. They seem to be one of the few companies left that has their customer service in the USA.

Tammy Koch St Louis, MO

I've had a family account with them for a long time (10+ years). Service has always been fairly reliable. Just wish they honored the long time customers like they do new

Lisa C Smyrna, DE

Pricey; but, the best service ever. No dropped calls and I've had cell service since it was Bell Atlantic. When cell phones were out during 9-11, Verizon was working, I even allowed people to call their landlines from my cell to let their families know they we ok.

Esther Haynie Dallas, TX

When I had Verizon a few years ago and traveled from TX to NY I was the only one of my friends that did not hit any dead spots while everyone with different carriers other than Verizon did. This is not true now. I left Verizon for a while due to price hike and then my daughter offered to put me on her plan to save money. Overall disappointed in current service due to dead spots and internet and maps not working unless I connect to cellular data.

Colin North Fork, CA

Get good service in the area I live in. They give rewards for paying my bill each month which is a plus

KimDugan Kailua, HI

Their customer service is efficient and when you call for help, they typically route you to a local branch. This means you will not have to deal with foreign call centers and issue with lack of internet resources on the other end. Additionally, many functions for billing and parental controls are available in-app. My only critique here is that the security measures can be a bit of a pain if you have a family plan and some members are temporarily or long-term located away from whoever started the account. There is limited access for other members of the family plan and this can complicate things like changing your part of the plan, a device, or running an upgrade. Aside from that, I have had only positive experiences with Verizon!

Penny Jackson, TN

Jz! Where do I even start with the goodness of Verizon! I have been a customer for over 10 years and I don't have anything bad to say about this phone company. I keep saving money every month with Verizon and even better is their visa card. I get cash back from using the visa card for purchases, plus many other discounts offered by Verizon. In fact, with all the discounts and rewards sometimes I pay less than $50 for my monthly bill. I recommended Verizon to friends and family and they are also enjoying the services.

Jonathan Isaac Rodriguez Los Angeles, CA

i currently havre verizon and to m it by far has the fastest woreless service and excellent customer service reps.

Toni Montuori

Typical big box cell carrier. Complicated and hard to understand billing charges and never ending taxes. The coverage was iffy in my area a year later the company changed my area from 4G to 3 G and I subsequently lost all coverage. These companies are quick to remind us that “we” are in a contract with them but in this case the tables were turned and I had to remind “them’ that they had entered a contract with ME and that was to provide me with cell service…which was no gone. After some haggling I was provided with a no charge micro cell tower to regain service but I did not appreciate the complications.

Arden Lincoln, NE

Pretty fast and pretty reliable. My call quality is usually good, even traveling and out in rural areas. The rural coverage isn't as comprehensive as it is for some other carriers, but Verizon also won't try to put a stranglehold on your wallet like AT&T so I can't complain too much. Also seems to be a good choice for lots of lines. My dad carries my aunt on our plan because she struggles to afford it, and we all have unlimited data.

pencraftco Portland, OR

Reliable. On the few occasions I have had an issue, the customer service reps are knowledgeable and helpful. I have never had a coverage issue. It has been easy to sign up for travel plans when I have gone overseas. No complaints from me!

Ahmed Brooklyn, NY

Best company in NYC and probably all over the USA I’ve been to Florida, New Jersey , Virginia , North Carolina and upstate New York and virtually always have been able to have a great signal and clear reception on the phone. Great deals with the unlimited plans. Highly recommended.

Donna G Schultz Grove, OK

Great phone company in our rural area. They are the only mobile phone that will work in our area. They're reasonably priced and their equipment is quality. They're always ready to help you if you have a problem whether it's by phone, Chat or if you walk into their store.

t blair Phoenix, AZ

The cell service is good, with good coverage. When I'm out of the country the global coverage is really confusing so I don't use it unless it's absolutely necessary or I'm it on wi-fi. I've been a long-standing customer and I just feel like they should give some sort of 'discount' on a new phone or a service plan or something to acknowledge long-time customers. So while that has nothing to do with the quality of service, it just makes me feel like they are average. Phone costs are insane (I'm sure it's price fixed) so how about a special promo now and again, one with no strings attached!? And STOP trying to sell me an iPhone. The sales guy pushed and pushed for me to get an iPhone. I don't care if your grandparents have one - I DON'T want one! He was sooo annoying and wanted me to tell him why I don't want one. I don't owe anyone an explanation and at that point, I left and bought a phone through Google! Seriously, train the salespeople properly!

Dennis K Spokane, WA

Verizon has been and still is the elite cell phone provider, there is no question about that, excellent service, customer service, broadband speed, and selection of phones/tablets for sale, that’s why they are also the elite when it comes to the price of monthly service . What you pay is what you get though, however I think that I can get great cell phone service around my city as well for much less then what it costs with Verizon.

Jean Durbin Litchfield, IL

The reception where I live is great, but we are currently in another state and the reception is horrible. Usually, 0-1 bar on a good day & forget anything once you go in a building. The first time I spoke with customer service, the agent was very understanding & opened a ticket for the Technical Engineer Dept to check into the issue. After I responded to a general text asking where I was having reception issues, the ticket was closed without any response from the company regarding the resolution. I called a 2nd time & again, the agent was very helpful & understanding. He could not find the original ticket & opened a new one. He also searched for a nearby 4G Verizon tower & found that there was one about 5 miles away. We are in an area that is mostly small towns of about 1-5k people, and only 30 miles from 2 major cities. With those demographics, one would think the reception would be better. A couple of days later I received a message from Verizon with a generic video answer attached, basically stating that they could not do anything to boost the signal in this area & perhaps I should buy a wifi booster (how does that help me outside or anyplace that is not by the booster?). Was nice to talk to a live agent, but that was the end of the human contact. Too bad! Too bad we're stuck with Verizon until our phones are paid off, or I'd switch companies now that had humans responding and actually tried to resolve the issue.

Derek Barlow Broken Arrow, OK

I love the service coverage for the most part. But they are so much more expensive then the others. And all of the hidden fees and taxes they charge is ridiculous.

Tammie Newsome Milledgeville, GA

Verizon is always the fastest carrier and I have tried others. The service is outstanding and if you need help someone is always ready to assist just a phone call away.

GN Seattle, WA

Verizon wireless offers some decent coverage across the US, but the benefits end there. They have the most expensive plans in the industry and their customer service is just plain horrible and dishonest. We were also Verizon Fios customers and had multiple connection issues (months at a time!) that Verizon refused to refund us for and also would not let us out of our contract. Since the service was so poor, we ended up cancelling anyway and were stuck with big cancellation fees for a service that never worked in the first place. Such an awful, dishonest company—stay away!

Annie B Chandler, AZ

I have been with them since the beginning. Can't imagine going with any other carrier. So reliable and really, no dropped calls.

Tristan Ashmore Denver, CO

I have been with Verizon wireless for over a decade or close to it. All this company sees is money and they train their employees to do so. It is a corporate hivemind based on money, money and more money. Yes, they offer fairly great coverage and all of the phone options BUT if you ever slip up or go through a rough patch in life, they won't work with you, AT ALL. I am a well compensated individual for the work that I perform but it takes awhile to turn around and find the right positions for my level and above. Yes, I hear those that say be more financially responsible and all that but even at the corporate level, they get bailed out by the public constantly. I will be paying off my small past due amounts immediately and leaving Verizon quickly. As consumers, we will vote with our dollar and I intend to do so. Their CEO has a record of being bought and inputting the businesses capital in the wrong places for the generation currently moving into leadership throughput the world. Verizon should be broken up and broken down for the power they hold and I have never been more disturbed by such a stronghold on their love and greed for money. They are showing us their cards pretty quickly and they don't deserve my business and my future business. To the employees, this is not directed at you but you also probably already know as well. Considering I wasn't speaking to someone in my own country (not an issue) it may show that they already are jumping ship. Sad...

harry vince Lahore, PB

It's one of the best mobile company in the USA . Its Features are amazing. very easy to use. I am using it for a very long time.It's highly recommended

Farhad A Clarksburg, MD

At&t and tmobile were much better for: Responsive customer service No ghost charges Lower cost Better or at least same quality service (switched to V expected better coverage, but truly weaker than tmobile and att) Too high cost to leave due to that 2year contract Faught them literally for 4 to 6 hours multiple follow up and repeat calls .. to get some unknown charges reverted After that drama got over, learned they reported a crazy amount overdue to Collections and even to Experian that badly affected my credit. Wasted another hour on the phone to hear their stupid apologies and promise to have their managers fix... Have auto pay On and no pending payments. And, fortunately, have never used Verizon before. Unsure how could they come up with that overdue amount of 1K+ that was times more than my monthly bills... Reported that false claim.... However, the company is far more reckless and worse quality service and support....expected.

Roger Lawry Ojai, CA

Verizon Wireless has probably what I would consider the worst customer service I have ever encountered. After using them for our wireless service for many years we decided that with Covid-19 and staying home using our wifi, we decided to cancel our account and switch to another provider who offered a far less expensive plan using less data. We cancelled our Verizon account and were assured by Verizon customer service that our account was cancelled. Then promptly we continued to receive bills from Verizon for a service that we had cancelled and no longer used. After several calls to customer service we were assured that our account had been cancelled and the bills we had received would be reversed. After this we continued to be notified by Verizon for new billing cycles and when we tried to contact them we could not reach them as we had no account there and could not receive service if we had no account. In no instance were we contacted by Verizon to correct this situation. Finally, after 5 months subsequent to cancelling our account we received a notice from Verizon that our account was delinquent and we were turned over to a collection agency, who contacted us. We explained the situation to them and were assured the charges would be reversed and the bills would stop coming. Then we received a credit report that showed delinquent payments and a reduction of our credit score from 829 to 699. Accordingly, we contacted the 3 credit reporting agencies to dispute the delinquent score and also contacted Verizon, who said they "did their due diligence to correct the wrongful billing" but they made no attempt to rescind the incorrect credit score issue. We have never had this situation in over 35 years of making payments on services and had almost a perfect credit score that reflects our constant diligence in making on time payments. Now we are being wrongly accused of not making payments on a service that we had cancelled months before. Verizon has to be the most inept, incompetent, uncommunicative, uncaring company with whom we have dealt, worse even than cable companies. I would avoid using them at all costs. I only wish I could give them zero stars.

Chris Bright Tempe, AZ

Great service overall, albeit a bit pricey, I think you have to pay a little extra for excellent service. I wish they offered existing customers free phones like they do new customers. Loyalty should count for something.

Rob Levy Santa Monica, CA

Verizon recommended a Samsung phone to me as a new phone. Sales person told me amazing things about it. After using the phone for less than 6 months, it started acting up. It would call the wrong person when tapping the name in contacts. Call merge didn't work if the person didn't pick up. Verizon wouldn't switch the phone out and said it was my responsibility to do the research on the phone not the sales person. Impossible to do research on a new phone and they pushed it to me. Samsung didn't warranty either. Match made in heaven.

Mary Gunn Sherpur, 03

l love the service of Verizon. I never have to worry about my phone. It’s neve slow down.I find it hard to believe anyone could be disappointed in their services.

Nancy Haney Greeneville, TN

We use Verizon for our business cell phones and the service is great and we receive reception and service is places that others cannot. Fantastic cell service!

Crystal F Conneaut, OH

I have a love/hate relationship with Verizon. I feel trapped to stay with them. They defiantly have the best cell reception , at least for our area, but I feel they take advantage of this with their pricing. Their website is not user friendly, any “perks” are very well hidden so you rarely know they are there. But again, feel trapped to stay because of reception issues in my area

Andrea Wheaton, IL

I recently switched to Verizon because their rates are finally more competitive! Shocking really since they are often the most expensive. The service has been fantastic. I no longer have dropped calls and the 5G is AMAZING. Its faster than the wifi at my work. I'm a huge fan of Verizon these days!

Ty Brown

Ever since Verizon switched to 5G I have absolutely no service anywhere. Can’t play a game, can’t search something on the internet, nothing. This is ridiculous.

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

My wife and I have a difference of opinions on Verizon. My wife wanted to make the switch due to the fact that she could not get service in her building and with Verizon she could. I go all over the state at times with my job and there are times that I don't have service in places that I did have in places with my previous provider. We have had no issue's with customer service and we have had to call them more than I would like to say. We have had to replace phones, change plans and add and subtract lines with no problems at all.

Diana Armes Wallace Batesville, AR

We have been customers of Verizon for more than 12 years. Until this past year, my husband was a truck driver and Verizon is the company that has the best phone service throughout the US. Now that he’s retired, we will keep Verizon because of their dependability.

Kathy Vinski Cape Coral, FL

Love my service, very rarely do I have service issues. There offers for phones however are not the best most of the time. I have had Verizon for over ten years. I would like to see better phone offers on new phones for upgrades

Michelle Thomason Daphne, AL

We’ve had Verizon for several years, after not getting good reception at our home from a previous provider. When our service was spotty, they offered to put a booster on our home which helped a lot. They have always been very responsive and good to work with.

COLLEEN STARKE Lithonia, GA

VERIZON WIRELESS HAS ALWAYS BEEN DEPENDABLE FOR ME. I CAN COUNT ON THEM TO SOLVE MY PHONE PROBLEMS WHEN THEY ARISE AND OF COURSE I GET THE BEST SERVICE THROUGH VERIZON. I DO HAVE OTHER CELL PHONE CARRIERS AND MY VERIZON HARDLY EVER GIVES ME BAD SERVICE NO MATTER WHERE I AM.

K.H. Tehachapi, CA

Verizon seems to have the best service where we live. However, over the last couple of years we have started losing service and getting dropped calls in places we never used to. I wish that Verizon, (for the amount we pay each month), would figure out how to increase their service to their customers. We need fewer dead spots, dropped calls and lower prices. Overall Verizon is still the best wireless service out there.

Lynnie Burden Jasper, IN

Love the service you have phone service everywhere! And the phones love the phones too! Cheap prices!

Bonnita Haynes Kingwood, TX

I have been a long time customer. I usually have very good quality phone calls. I have usually had a great customer server experience.

Gabby A Norristown, PA

I find as I travel throughout the US, the coverage is generally better with Verizon. The pricing is fair, the customer service is good.

Liza Sotchenko Parkville, MD

HORRIBLE service. Last month we couldn't even call or text. Went to the Verizon store and they simply stated ''Yeah we've been having issues but we have no idea when it's coming back up'' ... Had to go almost a week with no internet, texting or calling which made it hard with keeping in touch with work and family. Now service is back up but thanks to 5G we still hardly ever get service. Switching to another provider soon.

Michelle Powell Anderson, SC

Phone service is pretty good but when you pay off your phones and you think that your bill will be that much cheaper….think again! There all of a sudden fees that just magically appear on your bill.