Verizon

6.8

Verizon Wireless, also known as “Verizon” to customers, is the largest provider of wireless telecommunications in the United States. They have over 123,000,000 subscribers, and have 2,330 store locations throughout the fifty states. Verizon Wireless has been in business since 2000. Verizon was originally a merger of Bell Atlantic and GTE, and over the last ten or so years, has picked up several smaller regional carriers to build the largest wireless network in the United States. Verizon also has a wide variety of products and services available to its clients. In addition to basic phones and smartphones, customers can purchase tablets, wireless Internet for their computer, as well as other products that can help customers access Verizon’s cloud to store photos, video clips and other media. Verizon is one of the few companies making it possible for customers to “integrate” their Internet devices and cloud media.

The Good

• Great phone options
  • Affordable plan options
  • Family plans

After reviewing Verizon's services, there are several quality components of their business model that should be pointed out. Verizon has the best selection of phones for their clients. They sell 26 different Android devices, meaning that the customer can choose a popular operating system and have plenty of different devices to try out. Verizon also has several models of the BlackBerry operating system. BlackBerry is still a popular phone device among many different business decision makers. There are also several Windows phones to choose from. Most providers do not offer the same options when it comes to BlackBerry and Windows operating systems.

For most contract carriers, they really "jack up" their data prices as you increase the number of gigabytes that you get per month. We found that the pricing for each service level did grow incrementally, but it was not an "exponential" curve as we found with other carriers such as US Cellular. The More EVERYTHING plan tops out at 100 GB, but the pricing is pretty affordable if you select this monthly option. It is also important to note that all plans included unlimited talk and text.

Verizon includes its overage fees in a clear, understandable language to keep their customers from being charged for services they did not realize were covered. The overage fees are also not outrageous. We found that 1-gigabyte plans and higher are subject to a $15 fee for each gigabyte of overage. It is also helpful that Verizon states the average use per Verizon customers. This is a helpful metric for when selecting a data plan.

Verizon also makes it easy to expand your plan to serve a family or a small business. Verizon's family plan is structured very clearly and the data plan price doesn't increase, you just pay slightly more for each individual line. If you purchase a 10 GB plan for your family (the recommended), it is going to be very easy to monitor this among all the lines that use the same data plan.

Lastly, Verizon provides texting features for billing. There are several different "texting" shortcuts that clients can use to check their bill status, inquire about their data usage, and even check one's status toward upgrade eligibility. This is truly one of the best text interfaces for checking on one's account in the industry.

The Bad

• Customer issues
  • Long wait times for customer service
  • Terms and conditions are not clear

Since Verizon is one of the largest cell phone carriers in the world, it is only reasonable to expect that there will be unhappy customers. Most commonly, customers reported that they did not like the original phone that they received and had to wait for an extended period of time to get a credit so that they could move over to a new device.

From a customer service experience, there are customers who have experienced long wait times or failure to get their questions answered. There wasn't an easy-to-find email form to email a customer service representative. Their live chat feature was also somewhat clunky and slow. The site also made it somewhat difficult to understand the difference between the Everything MORE and Single Line plans.

Verizon is also not very clear when it comes to the smartphone versus iPhone device service line additions. The exact terms and conditions are not outlined clearly and Verizon made it look as if the customer had to get an iPhone as part of their More EVERYTHING contract. However, our experts have found that the customer could purchase a plan without an iPhone. Also, there is the addition of Verizon EDGE to some products. Prospective customers should look into that as well before enrolling in the service.

Another issue that current customers have had with Verizon was the paperless statement option. Verizon currently does not offer an incentive for the customer to change over to this option and customers said they didn't always receive their email on time. One customer didn't get their paperless statement and found that this caused them to get behind on their payments. Fortunately, the customer was credited back their late fees and was able to get their service going again. Verizon should make its paperless statements more customer-friendly and give its customers an incentive to use paperless billing.

Our experts found some non-contract carriers that gave their customers a discount if they set up an automatic payment. We felt that a contract solution with a similar premise would create less confusion for customers if they elected the paperless statement format.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Verizon offers one of the most complete cell phone service packages available on the market. Verizon is the largest provider of wireless services in the United States and is a great fit for many different customers, as their products and services are customizable for many different situations. Those who decide to go with Verizon can expect the following:

• Extensive phone selection - Verizon offers almost every phone operating system available
  • Unlimited Talk and Text - this is standard with their pricing packages
  • Easy to expand service - add lines or set up a business account with ease
  • Billing features - customers can text in to inquire about billing information
  • Limited customer service - it can be difficult to get basic questions answered in a reasonable period of time
  • Technology issues with paperless billing - customers will still need to stay on top of their billing

2.7

Tara Beckert

December 19th, 2017 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

Great service and a quality product. Verizon is on the more expensive side but you get great reception and data solutions.

Suzanna Wootton

December 18th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS

Really good, reliable reception wherever you go.

Jacinda E

December 14th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Switched from AT&T to Verizon just a couple of months ago. The transition was simple and customer service was very helpful with keeping my old phone number and getting all of my contacts into the new phone. So far the service has been really good. I live in Utah and I go to lots of remote places in the mountains. Most of the time I get cell service. So far I have liked the switch.

Kylee Carpenter

December 12th, 2017 Tooele, UT

I would not use them at all!!! All they want is money. I have never had an account wit’s them. My mom has and I was on her plan for a few months. Some how they got my ssn and put all her stuff on my credit. Comepletely distroyed my credit. I called them to get it off and they won’t unless I pay!!! It is my moms name with my ssn. It is hers not mine. Now I have to take them to court.

Megan Rigby

December 12th, 2017 DETAILS

Have been using Verizon for our cell phone service for awhile. never had any issues with pricing, quality or customer service. Accessible app makes it easy to change, view and contact Verizon if needed.

Lindsey

December 10th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We switched over from AT&T to Verizon thinking it would be cheaper and better coverage - WRONG. It might be a good option depending on the area you live. In my particular area, I get worse coverage than I did with AT&T and my bill is way more expensive.

Marta m granata

December 7th, 2017 Titusville, FL DETAILS

Same problem as with ATT . POOR service at a huge cost. Always errors in billing. Keep raising prices and oenal I ze you for cancelling because they charge more than your car payment .

Raquel

November 29th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

After switching the service has been great! Never had a problem.

Danielle

November 24th, 2017 Syracuse, UT DETAILS

The service is great! I love the coverage I get all over the state. My only complaint is the price. I guess you get what you pay for though.

Ryan Smith

November 14th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

great use in US, had really hard time oversees

amanda

November 13th, 2017 Park City, UT DETAILS

This company has been a great provider for cell phone service and has given a great price and is very flexible.

Hayley Lambdin

November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

They are absolutely horrible to work with! You can never get through to them on their customer service line. They look for any reason to charge you with extra fees. I don't plan on getting our cell phones through them ever again. Booooooo Verizon.

Luke Gibson

November 8th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Verizon has gotten a lot better over the years. Their customer service has vastly improved and their treatment of your bill and related policies are now a lot more customer-focused and less skeezy. I hate having to get a sales pitch for a different plan half the times I call customer support, but aside from that their support is generally helpful. Their physical stores and kiosks, however, are still strange, sales-y places that feel like they're run by kids who don't really know what they're doing and are overly focused on "upselling" you instead of helping you.

Linda Hill

November 8th, 2017 DETAILS

Service is great. Price is not. Verizon continues to be higher in price for cell phone service.

John Smith

November 7th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

My cell phone plan is a bit pricey in comparison to others, but I'm pretty satisfied with my data speeds and I'm rarely out of service.

Sandy Sutton

November 7th, 2017 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS

I've always used Verizon and always will as my provider. I'm happy with the service they provide. Many of my friends move back and forth but always complain about the new service.

Darrell

November 6th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

I was with these guys for a long time. I felt constantly like I was being overcharged, but I stayed with them because they had the best coverage. I was always unhappy after customer service calls and it seemed like no one quite knew what they were doing at their offices. They do have great coverage but you are going to pass through the nose for it.

Anna

November 4th, 2017 DETAILS

Consistently have more service then anyone else I know. Great for city or camping. Couldn't imagine another phone service

Alex Murphy

November 2nd, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS

Best phone company around. Period. I have used many of their competitor and have always been disappointed and returned to Verizon. You do have to pay a lot more, but it has been a great experience.

Linda Jensen

October 30th, 2017 Newberg, OR DETAILS

We have been with Verizon many years. Switched from T-Mobile. We switched because we got more service coverage. Have had no problems except when we moved to a small town and our home is in a weird pocket. Barely get 1 or 2 bars, and have had phone calls dropped. But I sure that's due to where I now live.

Steve

October 30th, 2017 DETAILS

Good service, highest cost provider in the market place. Every other telecom has better value but you can't beat Verizon coverage.

Michele Gledhill

October 30th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We have been a customer for as long as I can remember. In the last few months our service has been horrible. I cannot even get through a phone call at my own home. I always drop service driving down my street. Also, it doesn't seem to load very well when I am off wifi. It's the first time I have considered leaving and going to another company.

Bonnie Slocum

October 26th, 2017 Layton, UT DETAILS

Verizon has had great coverage and we've rarely had a reason to complain. Their office always has nice people to work with when something goes wrong with my phone. One time my husbands screen went purple and we didn't have insurance. The team member helped us get put on insurance right then because they happened to be under open enrollment and the phone was replaced.

Lindsey Andersen

October 26th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Verizon is hands-down the best coverage provider and customer service. They are a GREAT company, but that comes with increased cost. That is the ONLY reason I do not use them anymore. You get what you pay for, though! If I had the money, I'd switch back no question!

Hyrum

October 26th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

They have good service, but it's way too expensive. Wish they had more variety in their service plans so you don't break the bank just for basic coverage.

Cynthia Armstrong

August 2nd, 2017

Bad customer service, you get so many different billing amounts and can't explain why the billing amount change from month to month. My bill for two lines with taxes was not to be no more than $175.00 a month, but somehow for two months straight it jumped to $1.059.58 for one month and when I called in, the automated system said it was $1779.67 with a payment of $312.00 posting 07/13/2017 and a last due balance of $2107.35. So I decided to contact the FCC.

David Hodges

July 15th, 2017

Verizon has the worst customer service I have ever encountered. When you want to talk to a representative prompts guide you thru a menu that takes about 10 minutes to navigate out of and than in disconnects you. If you are lucky enough to get in touch with a live person they tell you they will call you back and you never hear from them and your issue remains unsolved.

Shawn Neville

July 12th, 2017 Coopersville, MI

3rd phone from insurance had mic issue, and Kenny made sure they sent me a new and not refurbished phone.

Earl Davis

July 10th, 2017 New York, NY

No phone service and poor internet going on a month. They haven't fixed it and have the nerve to want full payment. The incompetence is staggering. They've even gone as far as to threaten me with disconnection. But you can't disconnect what doesn't work. This is an ongoing problem for years.

Aleksander Adamowski

June 20th, 2017

Very poor to nonexistent data data transfer service in large, well populated area of South San Jose, CA. Issue has persisted for months to this day. Several attempts to bring Verizon's attention to the issue have failed.

Kyler Ashby

June 13th, 2017

Verizon gives great coverage and it's 4G LTE network is very quick. It works great. My only misgiving is that on its phones there comes a lot of bloatware. Other than that, very good cell phone provider.

Blake Wilcox

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Verizon was good because of the coverage that you get. However, their prices are high and their data plans are not convenient. I wish they had more affordable plans for big families.

Julie Firkins

June 12th, 2017 Orem, UT

verizon has great coverage but if you have any questions on billing forget it not satisfactory at all

Lindsay H.

June 10th, 2017 Draper, UT

In my experience, Verizon does not have very good customer service. Every time I go into the store by my house I have to wait around for a long time to get help from a representative.

Blake Brockbank

June 6th, 2017

Best coverage around. I get service pretty much anywhere. I really like Verizon. I prefer it over other services

Daniel Poaletti

June 6th, 2017

Verizon has quality products for relatively low prices. Their coverage is amazing in the US and around the world if you are willing to pay their international prices. Not the best for abroad travel because of the cost but great for national use.

Sav Flo

June 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Verizon provided me with great service the only problem I had was that they weren't able to make adjustments for me to get a new phone even though I was willing to pay the price. This was due to the contract that I signed that I wasn't able to make adjustments when I wanted. I have no complaints on their employees or the wireless connection I had with my phone.

Gary Hall

June 1st, 2017 Saint George, UT

Verizon is a good, but not great service. First, I have 3 tablets (2 android, 1 IPad) and one phone on their service. I used to have 4 phones on their service, but have taken the others off and moved to Consumer Cellular. I have also been a client for more than 5 years. When I go into a local office, I have had very acceptable service on most areas. Their customer service on the phone is much less satisfying, where you are put through wait times and can frequently not get problems solved. One big problem I have is when you truly need service with a phone covered under warranty. In two separate instances, I have had a phone that ceased to function properly and was covered under warranty, and when going to get it replaced have been told "we no longer carry that phone. it is now replaced by XXXX phones". I then can either send my phone in for free repair, which will take weeks and I will not have a phone, or I can "update to XXXX phone" for a fee. Since my phone is for business, there is no answer but to pay them, sign up for another new phone, and bond myself to them for another two years. This is a classic bait and switch! I have since quit paying for warranty, and have started purchasing my phones online and having them linked to their service. I do have to say that coverage is very adequate,

Sheryl Wilson

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

We had a difficult time understanding our bill and why we were charged more for the service. Even their customer service representatives couldn't help us. The best thing we did was cancel our service.

Chelsea Stewart

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Best cell phone service I've ever had, but also the most expensive bill I could have ever imagined for a cell phone, even with basic, basic services.