Verizon

Verizon Logo

7.3

Verizon

Verizon Wireless offers a variety of plans with great 4G LTE coverage and a plethora of phones to choose from

Verizon Wireless, also known as “Verizon” to customers, is the largest provider of wireless telecommunications in the United States. They have over 123,000,000 subscribers, and have 2,330 store locations throughout the fifty states. Verizon Wireless has been in business since 2000. Verizon was originally a merger of Bell Atlantic and GTE, and over the last ten or so years, has picked up several smaller regional carriers to build the largest wireless network in the United States. Verizon also has a wide variety of products and services available to its clients. In addition to basic phones and smartphones, customers can purchase tablets, wireless Internet for their computer, as well as other products that can help customers access Verizon’s cloud to store photos, video clips and other media. Verizon is one of the few companies making it possible for customers to “integrate” their Internet devices and cloud media.

The Good

• Great phone options
  • Affordable plan options
  • Family plans

After reviewing Verizon's services, there are several quality components of their business model that should be pointed out. Verizon has the best selection of phones for their clients. They sell 26 different Android devices, meaning that the customer can choose a popular operating system and have plenty of different devices to try out. Verizon also has several models of the BlackBerry operating system. BlackBerry is still a popular phone device among many different business decision makers. There are also several Windows phones to choose from. Most providers do not offer the same options when it comes to BlackBerry and Windows operating systems.

For most contract carriers, they really "jack up" their data prices as you increase the number of gigabytes that you get per month. We found that the pricing for each service level did grow incrementally, but it was not an "exponential" curve as we found with other carriers such as US Cellular. The More EVERYTHING plan tops out at 100 GB, but the pricing is pretty affordable if you select this monthly option. It is also important to note that all plans included unlimited talk and text.

Verizon includes its overage fees in a clear, understandable language to keep their customers from being charged for services they did not realize were covered. The overage fees are also not outrageous. We found that 1-gigabyte plans and higher are subject to a $15 fee for each gigabyte of overage. It is also helpful that Verizon states the average use per Verizon customers. This is a helpful metric for when selecting a data plan.

Verizon also makes it easy to expand your plan to serve a family or a small business. Verizon's family plan is structured very clearly and the data plan price doesn't increase, you just pay slightly more for each individual line. If you purchase a 10 GB plan for your family (the recommended), it is going to be very easy to monitor this among all the lines that use the same data plan.

Lastly, Verizon provides texting features for billing. There are several different "texting" shortcuts that clients can use to check their bill status, inquire about their data usage, and even check one's status toward upgrade eligibility. This is truly one of the best text interfaces for checking on one's account in the industry.

The Bad

• Customer issues
  • Long wait times for customer service
  • Terms and conditions are not clear

Since Verizon is one of the largest cell phone carriers in the world, it is only reasonable to expect that there will be unhappy customers. Most commonly, customers reported that they did not like the original phone that they received and had to wait for an extended period of time to get a credit so that they could move over to a new device.

From a customer service experience, there are customers who have experienced long wait times or failure to get their questions answered. There wasn't an easy-to-find email form to email a customer service representative. Their live chat feature was also somewhat clunky and slow. The site also made it somewhat difficult to understand the difference between the Everything MORE and Single Line plans.

Verizon is also not very clear when it comes to the smartphone versus iPhone device service line additions. The exact terms and conditions are not outlined clearly and Verizon made it look as if the customer had to get an iPhone as part of their More EVERYTHING contract. However, our experts have found that the customer could purchase a plan without an iPhone. Also, there is the addition of Verizon EDGE to some products. Prospective customers should look into that as well before enrolling in the service.

Another issue that current customers have had with Verizon was the paperless statement option. Verizon currently does not offer an incentive for the customer to change over to this option and customers said they didn't always receive their email on time. One customer didn't get their paperless statement and found that this caused them to get behind on their payments. Fortunately, the customer was credited back their late fees and was able to get their service going again. Verizon should make its paperless statements more customer-friendly and give its customers an incentive to use paperless billing.

Our experts found some non-contract carriers that gave their customers a discount if they set up an automatic payment. We felt that a contract solution with a similar premise would create less confusion for customers if they elected the paperless statement format.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Verizon offers one of the most complete cell phone service packages available on the market. Verizon is the largest provider of wireless services in the United States and is a great fit for many different customers, as their products and services are customizable for many different situations. Those who decide to go with Verizon can expect the following:

• Extensive phone selection - Verizon offers almost every phone operating system available
  • Unlimited Talk and Text - this is standard with their pricing packages
  • Easy to expand service - add lines or set up a business account with ease
  • Billing features - customers can text in to inquire about billing information
  • Limited customer service - it can be difficult to get basic questions answered in a reasonable period of time
  • Technology issues with paperless billing - customers will still need to stay on top of their billing

3.7

Brayden Dahl
June 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Verizon has always been a great cell phone provider and it is personally what I use and I’m going to be sticking with it for awhile.

Dedward Schneider
June 18th, 2018 Yermo, CA DETAILS

They are more expensive then any others. I think they take advantage of the elderly, and no alloance for Veterans.Having said that the service is great. I have not traveled to any area where I did not get a signal.

M. B.
June 18th, 2018 Granger, TX DETAILS

Above average service provider, with above average rates.

Charles Smith
June 18th, 2018 Port Neches, TX DETAILS

Coverage of # of people has nothing to do to with where I can get cell coverage outside of cities.

Friend
June 18th, 2018 Auburn, CA DETAILS

Expensive and doesn't work at my house in the Sierra Nevada foothills. Don't go to a retailer. Instead go to a corporate store, as they report up separately.

Tina H Baynard
June 18th, 2018 Salisbury, NC DETAILS

Never had any problems . I really like the c ell phone service. I have been a customer since cell phones were available. Never switched and never will

Antoinette C.
June 18th, 2018 Coatesville, PA DETAILS

Nothing to complain of, because of health issues i don't use a cell phone often

Michael B
June 18th, 2018 Groveport, OH DETAILS

very good at providing service. Phone Functionality is high and being a large company allows it to provide high quality features

Michelle Devlin
June 18th, 2018 Portland, TN DETAILS

Great coverage and customer service, but pricey but good promos for long term customers.

Ryan Schukei
June 18th, 2018 Presque Isle, MI DETAILS

Fast and reliable service. Great iPhone cell phone.

Jennifer S.
June 18th, 2018 Piedmont, SC DETAILS

Reliable, several plan options to suit your need; never had any issues with service or with my account.

Terence A Weber
June 18th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

The representatives do a good job on helping to take care of any situation, but the cost is too high

Tim Goodwin
June 18th, 2018 DETAILS

Far better than AT&T. My usage is lower than most but I pay for service I don't use.

Jordan Keck
June 14th, 2018 Iona, ID

I have been with Verizon for the last few years and have enjoyed the great service that they provide! In the area that I live in Verizon is heads and shoulders above all other companies. Whenever I have had questions or concerns they are handled smoothly and professionally.

Sadie Scoville
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Some of my friends have Verizon and they always have service no matter what place we are in.

Tami Allen
June 11th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We love Verizon because they have the best reception anywhere in America, and our phones never have annoying dropped calls. They have awesome customer service, and their employees are well trained and competent. They always answer my questions quickly and are very knowledgeable about their products. I love the new data plans that are unlimited and not having to watch my data usage constantly. It's a lifesaver!

CAROLE SCOVILLE
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I like Verizon fine when I used them, but T-Mobile is so much cheaper where I live

June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Verizon gives great coverage for cell phones and has good prices and good customer service. They have good tv ads and I like the reception my phone gets with this company.

Kip Fowler
June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have had a mobile phone account with Verizon for over 15 yers now. I have never had a bad experience with verizon. They have always taken care of me

Amy Crawley
June 5th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

I'm convinced this is the best cell coverage in the US.

Amelia Gibson
May 31st, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

This company provides great service for my family.

Avery Fowler
May 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

They have great cell phone coverage, but are little more expensive than other carriers.

H Moore
May 29th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Verizon has great coverage, probably the best in the nation. We've appreciated the customer service as well.

Bella Houtz
May 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Verizon is a really reliable cell phone provider that works fast and efficient.

Bella Houtz
May 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

We were customers with Verizon for years but ended up leaving due to their billing and customer service. We were making phone calls monthly. Every month something was incorrect on our bill.

Joanna Hester
May 29th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Verizon is more than the other carriers, but you can't beat the service and reliability.

Ashley
May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Verizon has great commercials but the service where I live is not that great I switch to AT&T

Stacy
May 16th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Great phone service. Great customer service. I have never used another service. I have a family plan, and I don't mind the prices.

Vicki A Michaels
May 2nd, 2018 DETAILS

Only cell phone company that works at my house, expensive. You get what you pay for.

David Lewis
May 1st, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I have used the customer service via phone and also in multiple in-store branches. It is busy and sometimes takes a little while to talk with someone, but I have always been able to get my issues resolved. The actual service is better than the previous two cell phone companies my family has used. I have still dropped a few phone calls, but not nearly as much.

Tom Rhoton
May 1st, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

The mobile service is generally good, but they only offer incentives to new customers switching from other networks. How about offering something to keep your current ones?

Alex Lewis
May 1st, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

We have had a good experience with Verizon so far. They're always very helpful and happy to answer any questions. The phone service is great too and the data is fast.

Cade Baker
May 1st, 2018 Logan, UT DETAILS

Coverage has always been great, I usually have coverage where even my friends don't. Obviously more expensive because of this.

C F
April 30th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Okay service, not nearly as good as they make it out to be. Not a bad price but not great either. I am disappointed in their honesty. I bought a phone with a guaranteed $150 rebate and I had to go through the rounds 5 or 6 times and finally when I threatened to take them to court for it they gave the rebate out. It was ridiculous.

katiec
April 30th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Verizon has the best coverage than any cell service I have seen. Many times, I have service while my friends with other carriers do not.

JRosa
April 30th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Verizon isnt the cheapest but theyre definitely the best. I have service many places other carriers dont cover.

Lauren Law
April 30th, 2018 Rexburg, ID DETAILS

Definitely prefer Verizon over any other phone carrier provider but I don’t appreciate that Verizon can be pushy and not tell you about certain hidden fees and extra costs. Service depends on where you go mostly I feel like. But overall good phone service, pretty much everywhere!

Rebecca
April 30th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Verizon has always been a great company. Quick customer service and clear phone service.

Preston Ingalls
April 25th, 2018 DETAILS

Excessive fees when billing. The add on fees seem over the top.

April 25th, 2018 DETAILS

poor service, high rates, bad reception, got lied to a lot by the customer service people