Best Company Guarantee Capital One Logo

Capital One

7.4

LAST UPDATED: September 27th, 2022

As the fifth-largest consumer bank and eighth-largest bank overall in the nation, Capital One offers banking services with a focus on helping consumers find financial success with credit cards.

Capital One offers credit cards for all credit levels, making it one of the most popular choices in the industry - no matter if you have bad credit or excellent credit, there are options for you.

Backed by positive customer reviews, getting a credit card with Capital One is a great option for whatever your financial need may be.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and verified Capital One reviews from real customers.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Matt B. from American Fork, Utah

"I love my Capital One cards. I have several different ones for different rewards. They are accepted everywhere, I can choose which type of card I want and I recently called about my annual fee and they were so friendly and helpful."

The Good

• Variety of Cards
  • Pre-Approval Without Impacting Your Credit
  • Cards for Bad Credit
  • Rewards
  • 0% APR Credit Cards
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Check
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Variety of Cards

Capital One offers 19 different types of cards, allowing you to choose the best credit card based on your credit score, rate and fee preferences, and different rewards offerings.

Capital One seeks to provide a credit card option for every consumer. Those who are looking to rebuild credit can apply for a secured credit card, an offering that is not available with every credit card company. Those with excellent credit can choose from various cash back cards, or pick a rewards credit card, offering points or miles on airlines, hotels, or other travel expenses. Capital One also offers store credit cards for those with excellent credit scores.

Each credit card listed on Capital One's website lists the purchase rate, transfer information, annual fee, and credit level required for approval, making it easy to see at a glance what options might be best for you.

Pre-Approval Without Impacting Your Credit

If you'd like to check which cards you qualify for based on your current finances, you can do so without impacting your credit score.

Cards for Bad Credit

Capital One offers a secured credit card for consumers with bad credit, or those trying to rebuild credit.

Secured cards require a security deposit, which becomes your credit limit. Capital One requires a deposit of $49, $99, or $200 for an initial credit line of $200. This secured card is unique in that the security deposit is refundable, and the customer will be automatically considered for a higher credit line after six months. The card does not have an annual fee, but the APR rate is relatively high, at least compared to regular credit cards, at 26.99 percent variable APR.

Rewards

For the majority of their cards, excluding secured cards used for building credit, Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders.

Rewards vary based on each card. It is important to note that some cards do not allow rewards, including cash back, on all purchases. Some cards, such as the Savor® Rewards and SavorOne® Rewards cards only offer cashback on dining and entertainment. It is important to read all details provided to choose the rewards card that will best fit your needs.

0% APR Credit Cards

Capital One offers credit cards with a 0 percent intro APR, which is not necessarily unique to this card issuer. For those with excellent credit, they can apply for a card that will not require interest rate payment for the first 12 to 15 months.

Consumers with poor to fair credit will not be approved for cards with a 0 percent APR offering, and can generally expect higher rates.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently. Instead, foreign purchases will be automatically converted at the foreign exchange rate at the time of payment processing.

Free Credit Score Check

Through CreditWise® by Capital One, customers can access and view their credit history at no additional cost, and with no ramifications to their credit score.

It is important to note that CreditWise uses a different credit scoring model than the commonly used FICO score model. Both models are based on similar key factors that lenders look at when considering you for a credit offer.

Fraud Safeguards

Customer security is Capital One's top priority. To protect a customer's credit card information, as well as bank account and debit card information, Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards. Its associates are required to complete security training, and there are systems and protections put in place to protect a customer's personal information, such as their social security number.

If your card is lost or stolen, Capital One has listed phone numbers that you can call for immediate assistance. Upon contacting Capital One, your identity will be verified before account information is discussed or shared.

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Capital One reviews are positive with 84 percent of reviews rewarding the company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews most often highlight good experiences with customer service, including prompt responses and problem solving. In addition, customers are please with the ease of setting up an account, as well as competitive rates and rewards compared to other credit card issuers.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Beverly Schacher from Long Beach, Mississippi

"We have been very satisfied with our Capital One credit card. They don't charge an annual fee, their customer service is good. It let's you get cash advances and is accepted almost everywhere."

Of the limited complaints, customers outline being overcharged on fees as well as receiving high interest rates.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers credit cards with no annual fees, but there are various cards that have a required fee. Annual fees range from $39 to $95, which is significantly lower that other card issuers, such as American Express that has some cards with an annual fee of $250.

However, the higher the annual fee, the bigger the rewards that can be offered on that credit card.

Late Payment Penalties

Capital One charges a fee for late payments, which varies depending on the card.

The Bottom Line

Although Capital One experienced a large data breach in 2019, in which a hacker gained access to over 100 million credit card accounts, including access to personal information, Social Security numbers (Social Insurance numbers for Canadian customers) and bank account information, the company has bounced back, providing trustworthy service and fraud protection.

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs and competitive APRs. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place. If you have bad credit, Capital One has options available in the form of secured credit cards with refundable security deposits, providing an option for building or rebuilding credit.

The majority of Capital One customer reviews are positive, with the majority of customers outlining good experiences with customer service in which they received prompt service, especially in response to fraudulent card activity, which is good to see considering the company's past data breach.

Keep reading for Capital One credit card reviews.

Call our recommended rep over at Capital One below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

M Smith Arcadia, FL

They're giving me a chance ever though I defaulted on one of their auto loans. They even offered to settle for a fraction of the remaining balance. They still approved me for a credit card that I can add my 16 y/o son to, to help him start building credit.

Gelinda Jakovac Boise, ID

I use my Capital one credit card for many things. I really like how I can keep my rewards and they don’t expire. I have the option of getting them in cash or use them to pay my Capital One bill with them. I usually just let them keep building up.

Michael Ard Albany, KY

Capital One is a very easy company to do business with. I have used Capital One credit cards and most recently used Capital One finance for the purchase of an automobile. The Capital One Credit card is easy to obtain and highly recommend it. I have no complaints!

Vickie Payne Englewood, CO

If you are like me, Covid-19 had a big impact on your life. I was behind in payments for my Capital One card. I hated it, but at the time I really didn't have the money to pay what i owed. It was a little less than $200, but they did call quite a few times but hey that is their job, get back what you lent to you. So finally I decided to call them and explain my situation. I was pleasantly surprised how friendly and considerate they were. They were able to stop all the increases in late payment fees, worked with me to make payments. Even if it would of been $5, they were content. So we set up a plan that I felt I could handle and I couldn't be more happy!

TheRustyScupper Clermont, FL

We use Capital One credit cards for business purchases. Also use them for international travel. Without effort, we charged in Europe, Australia, Fiji, and Japan. Was never a doubt or problem with any purchase.

Michfan Oklahoma City, OK

Can’t say enough about this company. I’m rebuilding my credit and they are there every step of the way and offering deals on credit cards and auto loans I’ve applied for. Not only that, but most of the time, had better rates than anyone else. I’m truly thankful!

Robert Mott Bellevue, MI

Had my Capital One Silver card for awhile now and I trust Capital One. The cash back is awsome.

1 day ago

Rick Gore Canton, GA

Great customer service. Even if your credit isn't very good. They will give you an unsecured card, and as your credit score builds. They will up your credit limit. Their fraud department is the best!

Marisa K Miami, FL

Capital 1 5 STARS FOR SECURITY! if u use their app u can lock ur card when its NOT in use. Simply unlock it when you need to use it. That feature protects card from bein used if were ever lost/stolen.

shamont mallory

Captital one gives you real time credit updates every 7 days. I love the tips they give you on building your credit score! If you haven't switched to capital one I highly recommend doing that soon.

Jazz Rock Fusion & Synthesizer Music Wake Forest, NC

We have been customers of this company for decades. In the past you could call them regularly and negotiate the APR and they would 90% of the time lower it. Nowadays that will NEVER happen and they don’t care how long you have been using their service. Thankfully, we pay off our monthly amount in full every month so their high APR doesn’t touch us. My recommended card with the lowest national APR is Simmons First out of Arkansas.

Christine Poupard Somerdale, NJ

I'm very happy with capital one. Because of this company I was able to purchase a few things that my 14 year old son needed for school. The only problem I'm having is paying my bill. I work 3 days a week and it's very hard to fit it in. But I will because I want to keep capital one and I want to establish good credit with them.

Joshua Richmond Lexington, KY

I have had 2 credit cards and an auto loan through Capitol One. They have been the best when it comes to customer service; every time I call I get to talk to someone pretty quick and they always have an answer to my questions or concerns. Rates are on the low end and most of their cards comes with 0% interest for a year. Would recommend to anyone

Brian Nashville, TN

I’ve been a customer of Capital One for many years. They are easy to work with I’ve never had any issues with them. Anytime my card was hacked I’m notified immediately and the issue is taken care off. Very happy with them. I recommend them

Mario Martin Huntsville, TX

Recently, I was encouraged to apply for another credit card for the family's use. Of course, there were several things to take into careful consideration. The regular concerns like fees, APR, just to name a few. My Capital One credit card offered me and my family more than what we expected. Cash back on purchases, manageable interest rates and a lot more made this a favorite for my entire family. Respectfully whenever there was a particular concern a Capital One service representative was always available to help with the best and reliable customer service.

Kelsey Mclean Knoxville, TN

Most simple and easy credit card company to deal with! Very easy to dispute a charge and the customer service department is very helpful to explain, in detail, why and when to do so! I used my Capital One card on a web purchase from a site I, honestly, was hesitant to order from because it did not appear to be a legitimate website (but I really wanted these shoes). The order never came. I called and was told to wait a week for the 30 day period to lapse because the company had to show proof of tracking after this timeframe. I have been a Capital One card holder for 15+ years and will recommend this company to anyone.

KB Henrico, VA

My experienced with capital one was bad initial but I was able to meet a good customer service representative who helped me to resolve the issues.

SandyD Houston, TX

I have a Capital One credit card that helps me with small purchases throughout the month. In addition, I try to keep a low balance.

Joshua Bassett Pittsfield, MA

Helped me improve my credit score and are very understanding and helpful making sure you get extra time to pay your bill if you need it

Shelton Germaine Rogers, AR

I used to be a really big fan of Capital One. I have noticed over the past 5 years are so that they are no longer competitive with their rates of offers. I have had some recent deals that are more than 75% lower than what Capital One offers. I will keep the account open for now, but I hardly ever use it.

Rebecca Robinson Murfreesboro, TN

Capital One gave me a start when no other company would. I've earned increases on my line of credit and in addition was approved for another one of their cards (Walmart)

Casshina Alexander Lewisville, TX

What I like about this company is there stellar customer services, the services that they provide. The company cares and understand what the customer needs and wants at all times.

Giovana Pinckney Charlotte, NC

Capital One Customer Service is GREAT! They care about their customers, the staff is well trained and consistent. I love Capital One! The app works well and I never have issues with my account. When I call, customer service is always helpful and always kind & professional.

Precious H. DeSoto, TX

I have a capital one credit card. Capital One answers all of my inquiries in a timely manner and helps to protect my credit from fraudulant charges. The representatives are friendly. I have never had any negative experiences with the card or the company.

Jnt_421 Bethel Park, PA

I have multiple cc's and have been a customer for a long time. I am only keeping these cards because of the length of credit added onto my credit history. I have not been able to merge my cards and I have not had a credit line increase in a very long time because... Basically they don't feel I spend enough to get an increase on any of my accounts. One of the cards still charges me a yearly fee even though I've had it many years and I have other accts with them, they will not waive the fee. I used to have 1 or 2 bills automatically charged to each of my Capital One cc's, but there is no benefit for me to do thatanymore. I will use my cards about once a month now just to keep them active, but other than that, I have no use for them.

Courtney Martin Tullahoma, TN

I use multiple services that Capital One has to offer. It was very easy to open a checking and savings account online. They have NEVER charged me an overdraft fee! It was also easy to refinance my auto loan, and they are saving me so much on interest and even lowered my monthly payment! I have used Capital One credit card services as well. I have no complaints on their credit services, it was a personal choice not to carry on with credit cards as a whole. Their rewards card was excellent!

Yvonne Mosley Fayetteville, NC

This is a great business and they provide wonderful service. I have been a customer for approx. 15 years. I started with a very small amount maybe $200-300 when my score was horrible But they helped me to rebuild. They provide regular reviews of credit history for account increases. The app provides recommendations to help improve credit scores. Customer service is always top notch.

Russell Stence Rochester, NY

I have had a Capital One Mastercard for many years. They give 1.5% cash-back on ALL purchases, which has been great! Their customer service has also been excellent, including the fact that the person on the other end of the line speaks good, very understandable English. They are also good about checking with me if a charge looks questionable in any way. I am a very satisfied, long-term customer!

MM Largo, FL

I have three cards with Capital One, two platinum cards and the Walmart card. I had a couple cards a few years ago. I like capital one because they are more willing to give people with limited or less than perfect credit a chance to obtain and rebuild credit and they favor giving people a second chance. They let you pick your own due date. The cats I have are no annual fee which I really like because most cards charge annual fees. I get cash back rewards on my Wal-Mart card when I ship at Walmart, which I often do so it's a nice perk. When I lost my job a few years ago and couldn't pay my credit card bills, the put my account on hold and did not continue charging late fees and gave me six months to get back on my feet which I really appreciated and they were perfectly willing to work with me and not hassle me. Also, they increase credit line after 6 months and you can also pay your bill, check balance, and request a credit line increase of $100 and get instant approval through the app. Very happy with Cap 1!

Andrea Thomas Richland, WA

Capital One has many cards to meet each individual needs. I have had two cards due to my changing needs and both have worked great. The downfall is their customer service. I have had multiple calls in and don’t typically get my issue resolved on the first go. This is why they are my backup/emergency cards now. Specifically I had an issue with a payment for a promotion versus being applied to the whole balance. I called prior to make sure I could do what i I wanted and it took almost a month for it to actually be applied correctly even though that earlier call said it would fine/quick. So the cards and rewards are great but customer service is lacking.

CSue Fargo, ND

I got my card quickly, I had no hassles at all with capital one. I would recommend them to anybody looking for their first credit card.

Monica Hunt FL

Customer service is very helpful and wait times to speak to a representative is usually not a long process

Jenny Hite Kansas City, MO

I have been a Capital One customer for many years and fairly recently, I began using my Savor card. I'm very happy with the terms and promotions

L A Nelson Las Vegas, NV

Excellent customer service and a decent APR with awesome enrollment offer. Notifications are timely. Best card I've ever had.

Aujana Denver, CO

Love them even though they closed my account after I was late for two months. They are easy to set up use and order online.

Jolynn oliva Hilo, HI

It amazing. I've been working on my credit., see a charge I didn't do they help me figure it out. They let me know when a charge looks not right.

Garth Kline Eugene, OR

High interest rates. Customer service is ok but they won't lower your rates even if you ask. They will raise your credit limit, but this is not always helpful. Seems to be the least likely to give you a large limit though unless your credit is immaculate.

Haygar Horrible Weaverville, NC

Excellent Capital One Shopping experience. Has saved me money and time online. Their credit card works everywhere. Their customer service is outstanding.

Brittany Gould Augusta, ME

I have been a customer of Capital One in previous years, and I can honestly say that I will probably never have another credit card through them. I was very disappointed with the intrust rates, as well as the customer service I had received while trying to figure out different issues I had.

Rebekah Cothren Fleetwood, NC

I just got my first Capital One card and I’m super excited. I loaded the app and it is very user friendly and the website is easy to navigate and understand too. Thanks for helping get my credit on track!

GROW Program Belleville, IL

They’re GROWing to Stay in my Wallet I Love Capital One! Great Customer Service, You Can Always get someone on the phone, they’re Awesomeness Sow Love, GROW Capital One💫💞

Pacific Austin San Francisco, CA

I have really enjoyed banking with Capital One. I feel like they are great at marketing to their target audience of young adults and millennials, and I like that their online banking is sophisticated. I can do almost everything online. I did have some difficulty getting proof of a deposit for my mortgage lender, they could only provide me with a hard copy not a fax or an email. I also wish that they would allow you to have multiple debit cards (you can have multiple debit accounts, but not multiple cards).

Judy Fred Narragansett, RI

The rewards are amazing! Imagine getting 3% back on restaurants & groceries with their Savor card! And I get 5%back when I shop online with their Capital One Walmart Card! And both cards are accepted everywhere else as well. Shopping with Capital One is a "no brainer". And the phone app is so easy to use. Highly recommended!

JS Sunnyvale, CA

Straight forward credit experience, good website, easy to navigate and no surprises.

Charlotte P Herriman, UT

I have 2 cards from Capital One. I have always made payments on time and over the payment amount so I don't have any experience with late fees or high interest rates. The customer service is great and the ease of using the website is wonderful to. It's very easy to track your spending and pay off your balances while online. The mobile app is very user friendly as well.

Jennifer Dunlap Kingston, WA

I have never had a problem with my Capital One card. The only issue was the travel perks on my card were kind of hard to use. It jumped from $150 to $350 to $600. So, I had to try to keep my travel as close to those amounts to fully use the benefit. If the cost of the travel was $151, then it would jump you from using 15,000 points to 35,000 points. But there was no annual fee to my card, so that was the tradeoff. Overall, have been pleased but use my other cards more often due to better perks.

Autumn Lewiston, ID

Capital One is the only credit card company that I have used for the last 20 years. If I ever miss a payment I am able to call and get the late charge removed from my account. If I am ever traveling abroad I always contact Capital One to let them know. They make sure that any purchases made are valid and I always feel at ease when using my Capital One card.

Karen Jorgensen Washington, UT

Love Capital One! We've been customers for over 20 years! It's been the best card for us to be able to use the points for whatever we want. I've used them for travel, new pots and pans, cash, and lots of other things over the years. I'm happy with their service and the one thing that has been a negative is in the beginning we were able to accumulate points quickly for flights, now they are more comparable to other airline cards in regards to how many points it costs for a ticket. But, I also realize that the cost of the tickets and overall expense of flying has increased in 20 years haha. We have no plans of changing our Capital One card.

Nancy Spokane, WA

I was approved for Capital One MasterCard. I make all my payments on time. I always check my Capital One App. Just to make sure everything looks okay. Well on the 5th month l checked my Capital One App like I always do. And BAM 💥 I had been given a huge credit increase. My credit score has improved by over 100 points. I still have a ways to go with my credit score. My minimum payment due is less than $30.00 I do pay more than the minimum though. Also at all times make sure you keep enough credit to cover your interest. I keep $15.00 credit at all times on my card to cover the interest. I highly recommend Capital One.

Jonny Hancock Draper, UT

Capital One will always be in my wallet! I called Capital One's customer service center to discuss what I thought to be an error on my monthly statement. The customer service professional helped me understand my monthly statement and was kind and knowledgable. Never did I feel belittled or judged for my misunderstanding with my statement. Towards the end of my call, I thanked them for helping me and apologized for misreading the statement mentioning, "I just recently got married and I forgot with all of the commotion of the wedding that I bought that." They politely ended the call telling me to call back if I had any more questions. The following week I received a card in the mail addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Hancock from Capital One. Curious, I opened the envelope and found a hand-written note from the customer service representative I had talked to, along with a $50 gift card to Bed Bath and Beyond. The note read, "Congratulations to the young couple, we are sorry this card is late but we hope you have a beautiful marriage." This has stuck with me for over 2 years! Because of this amazing act of kindness I will forever use Capital One's credit card.