Founded in 1994 in Richmond, Virginia, Capital One offers a number of financial services, including credit cards, banking services, loans, and investments.

#2 American Express (Amex) chevron_right
#3 Discover chevron_right

The Good

• Rewards
  • APRs
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score
  • Fraud Safeguards

Rewards

Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders. For example, the company offers the Quicksilver card, which gives members every tenth Uber ride for free (up to $15), and the Venture card, which gives members two miles per dollar on all purchases.

APRs

For some of its cards, Capital One offers introductory APRs of 0 percent for the first nine to twelve months. After that, variable APRs range from 12.24 to 24.99 percent*, which is competitive within the industry.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently.

Free Credit Score

Capital One provides its customers with the ability to view and monitor their FICO score at no additional cost.

Fraud Safeguards

Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards, including putting its associates through security training, putting social security number protections in place, and providing secure electronic funds transfers. Visit Site

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers a few cards that charge an annual fee of $0. However, after that, annual fees can go up to $59 per year, depending on the card.

Late Payment Penalties

Depending on the card, Capital One charges a fee of $35 to $39 for late payments.

The Bottom Line

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs, competitive APRs, and fraud safeguards. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place.

Sarah Watters
October 8th, 2019 Quinlan, TX DETAILS

Capital One credit cards come with all sorts of perks, from cash back to credit monitoring, it's a good card to have in your wallet. One benefit to cardholders is their pre-approved auto loan program. Easy, no-hassle process.

Zac Marx
October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS

I love Capital One! With some of the best interest rates and cash back rewards on purchases, I use it almost everyday. Great credit cards and great savings accounts.

Amy Boren
October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We had this credit card for a little over a year. They were great to work with. We had an interest free offer and when we paid it off we cancelled the card.

Karen Jorgensen
October 4th, 2019 Washington, UT

Love Capital One! We've been customers for over 20 years! It's been the best card for us to be able to use the points for whatever we want. I've used them for travel, new pots and pans, cash, and lots of other things over the years. I'm happy with their service and the one thing that has been a negative is in the beginning we were able to accumulate points quickly for flights, now they are more comparable to other airline cards in regards to how many points it costs for a ticket. But, I also realize that the cost of the tickets and overall expense of flying has increased in 20 years haha. We have no plans of changing our Capital One card.

Ellen Morris
October 4th, 2019 Potomac, MD DETAILS

I am loving doing my banking with Capital One! They offered me a checking account with no annual fees and i can get credit cards with them without annual fees and no international fees. I travel quite a bit so this mattered a lot to me when I was searching for a new credit card and associated bank. Their app is also very easy to use and when I have gone into a unit they have ben very helpful and responsive.

Val Carman
October 3rd, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Capital one Venture is the best. I’ve used rewards point to go to Maui 2 x in the last year. Love that they have Delta as one of their airlines when using rewards.

Cassandra
October 3rd, 2019 Sunnyvale, CA DETAILS

I started with a Capital One credit card (Venture) and have been so impressed that my husband and I moved all our banking to be through Capital One. Their mobile app is so easy to use, and they have ATMs everywhere.

Jen
October 2nd, 2019 Clarks Summit, PA DETAILS

This is the only credit card my husband and I use. We love how you can use points for buy plane tickets.

Sherry Arnold
October 2nd, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS

Capital One is our only credit card and they've been great. We pay it off every month and when we've had any issues, their customer service has been extremely helpful.

Barry Henline
October 1st, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

Customer service and online access is good. Fees and overall experience has also been good.

kristin Gneiting
September 30th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

If you have just average credit not bad but not perfect this is the card for you. I get cash back on every purchase I make. I love this card because I can use some or even all of y rewards towards my monthly payment. It also gives you a backup for purchases made. The customer service is always excellent if I've run into a problem.

Ted Johnson
September 23rd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have a Capital One credit card and the rate is good. They have a great rewards program. They have given me an increased credit limit as I show that I pay it back on time and I use my credit wisely. They also have great tracking and many options that I can use with it.

Madison Scott
September 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I had a horrible experience with Capital One during a fraudulent experience they were no help at all. In fact, at times I felt as if they were the enemy. There was a huge lack of compassion and understanding. With Capital One it is all about money not the human experience.

Rory Henrie
September 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I currently have 2 business credit cards and a personal credit card through capital one. I have really liked their security and notifications of possible fraud. I have had a card stolen and they took care of everything. I would definitely recommend.

Joy Hill
September 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I use many different credit cards - Capital One has the best rewards. Love the 2% cashback they give for business owners. Wish they had a chat feature

Paula Henrie
September 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have had a Capitol One credit card for years. No problems and good customer service.

Randy Scoville
September 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Capital One is the main credit card we use. The rewards cash back is one of the best I have found. Super easy to pay balance online and customer service is great!

Nancy
August 26th, 2019 Spokane, WA DETAILS

I was approved for Capital One MasterCard. I make all my payments on time. I always check my Capital One App. Just to make sure everything looks okay. Well on the 5th month l checked my Capital One App like I always do. And BAM 💥 I had been given a huge credit increase. My credit score has improved by over 100 points. I still have a ways to go with my credit score. My minimum payment due is less than $30.00 I do pay more than the minimum though. Also at all times make sure you keep enough credit to cover your interest. I keep $15.00 credit at all times on my card to cover the interest. I highly recommend Capital One.

Tracy Womack
August 8th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

The Capital One Credit Card is so easy to use especially internationally! They have some of the best customer service, not to mention no international fees! I have had the best experiences with this company and I have suggested this credit card to all my friends.

Mazi Marcel Womack
July 22nd, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

I love my capital one credit card. It is so easy to use and I love that they have no international fees.

Ms. Nancy
July 16th, 2019 Columbus, IN DETAILS

Excellent service! VERY pleased, especially when disputing charges, they take care of everything! No hassles, no additional stress. They've been GREAT!!

Joe
July 10th, 2019 North Hollywood, CA DETAILS

They always have the best rates and offers in the market. I am so happy you exist. You make the market compatible.

Iva Welker
July 8th, 2019 Smiths, AL DETAILS

They delivered on customer and the rewards.

Melissa Peterson
July 8th, 2019 Montague, MI DETAILS

Wonderful customer service and services available.

Betta Bell
June 27th, 2019 Brentwood, CA DETAILS

Their website is one of the best! Your payments are so easy to take care of with just several clicks...fast and efficient. Also, everything goes thru very quickly...doesn't take days and days to see on your account.

Melissa Cooper
June 27th, 2019 Sandpoint, ID DETAILS

Great card. Great company. No complaints.

Debbie Boyd
June 27th, 2019 Penns Grove, NJ DETAILS

No problems per se. High interest rate that they never offer to lower

Shanae Boully
June 24th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I love using my capital one card. The sad thing is the card I have does not have cash back but other than that I love it.

Jennifer
June 18th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Capital one is a great credit card Company. They are my go to when I travel. Love their service and mike points.

Sierra Beck
June 12th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

Have this card now and love the travel miles that I build with it. And it's so so easy to use them.

Jennifer Smith
June 11th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

We love our Capital One credit card. We have used the rewards program to save points towards travel. This company is helpful and eager to answer any questions we might have.

Eric
June 3rd, 2019 Mapleton, UT DETAILS

Excellent customer service and the Capital360 App is simple and intiitive! Would reccomend highly!

Brittany Bray
June 3rd, 2019 Springville, UT

Capital one was my very first credit card when I turned 18. I was told it was the best and still to this day I believe it is. One perk is their website. VERY user friendly!

Anne Sainsbury
June 3rd, 2019 Payson, UT

About a year ago I applied for the Capital One Rewards Card. After applying I received a response stating that I was not eligible for this card because I had not built up my credit enough. I guess it would have been nice for me to know a bit more about the card before applying for it. I wish that the instructions for applying were easier to understand so that I would have known before that I did not qualify.

Lori
May 17th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Our Capital One credit card is great. We have the no annual fee card that still comes with benefits so that makes it nice. We have never had any issues using it anywhere and the interest rate is low if we don't pay it off by the end of the month.

Karrie
May 15th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Capital One is the only credit card we own and we have always really liked it. We can use it anywhere and we slowly build the rewards that are fun to use at times. I would recommend Capital One to anyone looking for a credit card.

Dean
May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

We have 2 Capital One cards and love both of them. The fees are minimal and the rewards are amazing. Even if you lose a card or have a fraudulent charge it is super easy to resolve. I couldn't say enough good things about Capital One. Get a card from them if you don't already.

Jennifer
May 13th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Capital One is my favorite credit card I own. No annual fee along with great benefits and a low interest rate just in case I don't pay it off in full makes it awesome. If you are looking for 1 card or looking to add another you must get a Capital One card!

MICHELLE
May 10th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

I am usually really good at paying my bill on time, but one month I simply forgot about it. I called customer service and they saw my history was good and they reversed my fee. I was pleasantly surprised. The man I spoke with was friendly and understood. I also love that I can check my credit through their services

Reese
May 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My Capital One card has a great rate, is easy to use anywhere, has benefits that I can choose from. It gives me the credit I need and deserve and I can pay it back easily.

Ashley
May 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I own the Savor Rewards card by capital one. You earn 4% cashback on dining and entertainment. We wanted this card solely for this purpose. I get 8% cash back on tickets at Vivid Seats. The rewards add up fast. I also get a food delivery credit each month!!

Mark
May 8th, 2019 Bellevue, WA DETAILS

overall, this is a great card. I have been happy with their customer service. I did have one mishap several years back where I paid my balance in full but it posted a day late. As a result, they posted a late fee which I did not know about for a few months. That said, I had a delinquency. I learned about it when I attempted to refinance my house and was told by my loan officer that my credit score dropped a bit. When I called Capital One to explain the situation, they offered no help. This has taught me to always quadruple check my balance to make sure all is paid off in full.

Scott Lyle
May 6th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Capital One provides awesome service to card holders. Easy to use app, understandable bill statements and trustworthy when it comes to protecting your money. Very well run company.

Nick Savage
May 2nd, 2019 West Covina, CA DETAILS

100% Favorable! Every contact and dealing with Capital One has been professional and more than satisfactory.

Fabiola
May 2nd, 2019 Mesquite, TX DETAILS

I recently open a credit card with capital one, but I am very happy with the customer service they offer.

Margaret Rose McEvilly
May 2nd, 2019 Watervliet, MI DETAILS

Capital One has been very good to me. I have had a couple charges that weren't mine and they immediately closed my account and gave me another. The only problem I had was having to wait to get the card in the mail before I could know what the number was.

Cynthia andWarren L. Stovell
May 2nd, 2019 DETAILS

Upon sign-up, spend $3,000 in the 1st three months, and receive a $500 cash cash back reward! Great customer service experience!

Jim Bowen
May 2nd, 2019 Vero Beach, FL DETAILS

Interest rates are not competitive; need to lower rates.

Cathe J Elton
May 2nd, 2019 Terrell, NC DETAILS

I have no complaints with Capital One. Whenever I've needed help, I've always had excellent customer service

Charlotte Giles
May 2nd, 2019 Salisbury, NC DETAILS

Application process was quick and easy. Gave me my credit rating right away.