Best Company Guarantee Capital One Logo

Capital One

7.5

LAST UPDATED: January 25th, 2022

As the fifth-largest consumer bank and eighth-largest bank overall in the nation, Capital One offers banking services with a focus on helping consumers find financial success with credit cards.

Capital One offers credit cards for all credit levels, making it one of the most popular choices in the industry - no matter if you have bad credit or excellent credit, there are options for you.

Backed by positive customer reviews, getting a credit card with Capital One is a great option for whatever your financial need may be.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and verified Capital One reviews from real customers.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Matt B. from American Fork, Utah

"I love my Capital One cards. I have several different ones for different rewards. They are accepted everywhere, I can choose which type of card I want and I recently called about my annual fee and they were so friendly and helpful."

The Good

• Variety of Cards
  • Pre-Approval Without Impacting Your Credit
  • Cards for Bad Credit
  • Rewards
  • 0% APR Credit Cards
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Check
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Variety of Cards

Capital One offers 19 different types of cards, allowing you to choose the best credit card based on your credit score, rate and fee preferences, and different rewards offerings.

Capital One seeks to provide a credit card option for every consumer. Those who are looking to rebuild credit can apply for a secured credit card, an offering that is not available with every credit card company. Those with excellent credit can choose from various cash back cards, or pick a rewards credit card, offering points or miles on airlines, hotels, or other travel expenses. Capital One also offers store credit cards for those with excellent credit scores.

Each credit card listed on Capital One's website lists the purchase rate, transfer information, annual fee, and credit level required for approval, making it easy to see at a glance what options might be best for you.

Pre-Approval Without Impacting Your Credit

If you'd like to check which cards you qualify for based on your current finances, you can do so without impacting your credit score.

Cards for Bad Credit

Capital One offers a secured credit card for consumers with bad credit, or those trying to rebuild credit.

Secured cards require a security deposit, which becomes your credit limit. Capital One requires a deposit of $49, $99, or $200 for an initial credit line of $200. This secured card is unique in that the security deposit is refundable, and the customer will be automatically considered for a higher credit line after six months. The card does not have an annual fee, but the APR rate is relatively high, at least compared to regular credit cards, at 26.99 percent variable APR.

Rewards

For the majority of their cards, excluding secured cards used for building credit, Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders.

Rewards vary based on each card. It is important to note that some cards do not allow rewards, including cash back, on all purchases. Some cards, such as the Savor® Rewards and SavorOne® Rewards cards only offer cashback on dining and entertainment. It is important to read all details provided to choose the rewards card that will best fit your needs.

0% APR Credit Cards

Capital One offers credit cards with a 0 percent intro APR, which is not necessarily unique to this card issuer. For those with excellent credit, they can apply for a card that will not require interest rate payment for the first 12 to 15 months.

Consumers with poor to fair credit will not be approved for cards with a 0 percent APR offering, and can generally expect higher rates.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently. Instead, foreign purchases will be automatically converted at the foreign exchange rate at the time of payment processing.

Free Credit Score Check

Through CreditWise® by Capital One, customers can access and view their credit history at no additional cost, and with no ramifications to their credit score.

It is important to note that CreditWise uses a different credit scoring model than the commonly used FICO score model. Both models are based on similar key factors that lenders look at when considering you for a credit offer.

Fraud Safeguards

Customer security is Capital One's top priority. To protect a customer's credit card information, as well as bank account and debit card information, Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards. Its associates are required to complete security training, and there are systems and protections put in place to protect a customer's personal information, such as their social security number.

If your card is lost or stolen, Capital One has listed phone numbers that you can call for immediate assistance. Upon contacting Capital One, your identity will be verified before account information is discussed or shared.

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Capital One reviews are positive with 84 percent of reviews rewarding the company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews most often highlight good experiences with customer service, including prompt responses and problem solving. In addition, customers are please with the ease of setting up an account, as well as competitive rates and rewards compared to other credit card issuers.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Beverly Schacher from Long Beach, Mississippi

"We have been very satisfied with our Capital One credit card. They don't charge an annual fee, their customer service is good. It let's you get cash advances and is accepted almost everywhere."

Of the limited complaints, customers outline being overcharged on fees as well as receiving high interest rates.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers credit cards with no annual fees, but there are various cards that have a required fee. Annual fees range from $39 to $95, which is significantly lower that other card issuers, such as American Express that has some cards with an annual fee of $250.

However, the higher the annual fee, the bigger the rewards that can be offered on that credit card.

Late Payment Penalties

Capital One charges a fee for late payments, which varies depending on the card.

The Bottom Line

Although Capital One experienced a large data breach in 2019, in which a hacker gained access to over 100 million credit card accounts, including access to personal information, Social Security numbers (Social Insurance numbers for Canadian customers) and bank account information, the company has bounced back, providing trustworthy service and fraud protection.

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs and competitive APRs. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place. If you have bad credit, Capital One has options available in the form of secured credit cards with refundable security deposits, providing an option for building or rebuilding credit.

The majority of Capital One customer reviews are positive, with the majority of customers outlining good experiences with customer service in which they received prompt service, especially in response to fraudulent card activity, which is good to see considering the company's past data breach.

Keep reading for Capital One credit card reviews.

Call our recommended rep over at Capital One below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Charlotte P Herriman, UT

I have 2 cards from Capital One. I have always made payments on time and over the payment amount so I don't have any experience with late fees or high interest rates. The customer service is great and the ease of using the website is wonderful to. It's very easy to track your spending and pay off your balances while online. The mobile app is very user friendly as well.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Just got my quicksilver and the sign on bonus was great. The card also has a ton of added benefits like giving me my credit score and the app is sleek. The virtual online card benefit for online shopping is also a great security feature.

Jennifer Dunlap Kingston, WA

I have never had a problem with my Capital One card. The only issue was the travel perks on my card were kind of hard to use. It jumped from $150 to $350 to $600. So, I had to try to keep my travel as close to those amounts to fully use the benefit. If the cost of the travel was $151, then it would jump you from using 15,000 points to 35,000 points. But there was no annual fee to my card, so that was the tradeoff. Overall, have been pleased but use my other cards more often due to better perks.

MM Largo, FL

I have three cards with Capital One, two platinum cards and the Walmart card. I had a couple cards a few years ago. I like capital one because they are more willing to give people with limited or less than perfect credit a chance to obtain and rebuild credit and they favor giving people a second chance. They let you pick your own due date. The cats I have are no annual fee which I really like because most cards charge annual fees. I get cash back rewards on my Wal-Mart card when I ship at Walmart, which I often do so it's a nice perk. When I lost my job a few years ago and couldn't pay my credit card bills, the put my account on hold and did not continue charging late fees and gave me six months to get back on my feet which I really appreciated and they were perfectly willing to work with me and not hassle me. Also, they increase credit line after 6 months and you can also pay your bill, check balance, and request a credit line increase of $100 and get instant approval through the app. Very happy with Cap 1!

Andrea Thomas Richland, WA

Capital One has many cards to meet each individual needs. I have had two cards due to my changing needs and both have worked great. The downfall is their customer service. I have had multiple calls in and don’t typically get my issue resolved on the first go. This is why they are my backup/emergency cards now. Specifically I had an issue with a payment for a promotion versus being applied to the whole balance. I called prior to make sure I could do what i I wanted and it took almost a month for it to actually be applied correctly even though that earlier call said it would fine/quick. So the cards and rewards are great but customer service is lacking.

Moses F. Chandler, AZ

We have used Capital One for many years, we know that when we use are Capital One cars, all our transactions will be safe & secure. Capital One has a Great track record, of Professionalism & Quality of services.

Autumn Lewiston, ID

Capital One is the only credit card company that I have used for the last 20 years. If I ever miss a payment I am able to call and get the late charge removed from my account. If I am ever traveling abroad I always contact Capital One to let them know. They make sure that any purchases made are valid and I always feel at ease when using my Capital One card.

Barbara Luke Chicago, IL

I have the Capital One Venture card because the sign on bonus was 60,000 miles. I used it exclusively the first year but when I discovered it is not dollar to dollar points to miles, I now use it along with other mileage cards. However, this one is not tied to any specific airline and it's easy to redeem points for any travel expense. Also, I can link it to my other Capital One accounts for easy transfers.

Joseph Zajac Hazleton, PA

I have had Capital One for about 4 years now. They've given me an above average credit card as it gets cash back under the program called Quicksilver rewards. The reward program spans a wide variety of purchase types. In addition I refinanced my car with Capital One as they gave me the best interest rate and terms in a multi-company search for refinancing. It's nice to have everything combined in one place and I can go to one app and see my balances and payments and make payments etc on both the car and the credit card. They also give you the option of a automatic payment for the car loan which is very convenient and it said on the date that you choose based on your financial structure.

Robert Rootes Bestselling Author Fredericksburg, VA

We don't use credit cards. They are a sign of the capitalism that began in earnest in the 80s. However, sometimes you need something that is available when it comes to emergencies. We chose Capital One because it had the lowest rates available for their cards. There's no annual fees so when the credit sits at zero, you're not going to pay for something you're not using. When it's needed, its there and when we have to use it, we're not paying more for interest than for the principal.

Grace Citrus Heights, CA

I was repairing my credit and started out using secured credit cards. I obtained a secure card from Capital. Very quickly I qualified for an unsecured card, with a low balance. I was invited to a wedding out of town and did not have money for the travel expenses, hotel, food etc. I called Capital in hopes of being given a raise in my credit limit, but did not really expect to be approved for a higher limit. I couldn't be it when I was give a huge increase for my credit limit. I was able to rent a car, get a hotel room, and dine out for the two days I was away. If I had not been given the increased credit limit, I would have had to drive my car over 600 miles, to the wedding and back home on the same day with no rest in-between.

Anoushka Ahuja Lecanto, FL

I love the Capital Card, it has the best cash percentage return, the customer service is phenomenal and I have redeemed most of my points for travel

Julie Joos Herriman, UT

I have used this company for a few years. I have never had an issue. They have handled every dispute I've had quickly and efficiently. I am very happy with this company.

Valerie Reed Clementon, NJ

I have two credit cards with Capital One that I've had for over 5yrs. They have a rewards program that I love and great customer service. Capital One makes it east to pay my bill online.

TrudiS Cambridge, OH

Capital One is a great card to have especially if rebuilding your credit. Keeps you updated on your credit score and what is good for your score and what can hurt it. Great customer service. Had Capital One card for 10 years and have never had an issue with them.

Billy stout Tampa, FL

I have been a Capital One customer for several years and have always been treated fairly, they are always willing to help if you need it and are good at problem solving. If you run into a financial situation they will work with you to do whatever they can to help you out. Great company and customer service.

Megan Dacula, GA

I enjoy Capital One's online checking account so much. I use the app to check my balance and can also check my credit score whenever I wish to. I even get extra discounts and cashback at some stores because of my Capital One card.

David Swenson Commerce City, CO

I love my Capital One credit cards. They have a pretty huge selection of cards with great bonus rewards. I especially loved my Savor card that gave a $400 sign up bonus (if spend enough in the first 3 months). And great kickback on all dining and entertainment after that.

Bx Chick The Bronx, NY

Capital One gave me a platinum card when nobody else wanted to give me credit. They increased my credit line when it was appropriate and have always given fantastic customer service. I recommend them to all who are looking for a credit card company that is willing to take a chance.

Paula Pili Provo, UT

I paid off all my credit cards an closed them all except this one. Capital one is a great card if you want to grow and improve your credit. In the call I was going to close this card I changed my mind while speaking with the agent

Mandy Pesce Laurelton, NJ

Capital one cards are great to have as a starter card or even as a seasoned card holder. They review your account several times throughout the year and will give you credit line increases. Their app is extremely easy to use to manage your cards, check balances and make payments.

Cam Hall Palmyra, VA

Capital One has great benefits cards for most regular folks - a card focused on food and grocery, an all purpose cash back card, a travel card, etc. The application process is SUPER easy, and their online card payment tool is even easier to use. I always felt like Cap One was incredibly transparent and not trying to obfuscate my spending or interest. I have 2 cards with Cap One, and may even get a 3rd.

Uncle Reviewer for Fundraiser Syracuse, UT

I switched to Capital One about a year ago for their points. Love putting purchases on the card and love the customer protection. Thank you!

Alex Gohlke Troy, MI

Love my quicksilver card, the rewards benefits have been great, the $250 reward was huge into getting one. highly recommend this card

MsBonitaDinero Gainesville, FL

I like Capital One! They care about their customers, they have good customer service & they understand that "life happens " I DO recommend 😉

Terrah Anderson Herriman, UT

We're had a great experience with our Capitol One credit card. Especially love no change for international use and great kickbacks too.

Tim O'Connor Tucson, AZ

I have two cards with them and the app is awesome, links all the accounts into one. Paying made so easy with the app. Highly recommend him for first time card holders.

Joe Leahy Marshfield, MA

The Capital One on line App is probably the best in the credit world.You have instant access to all your account info. The credit tracking free by the way is easy to follow and loaded with great info

Jonathan Heng CA

I have never had any issues with them directly. Everything goes smoothly when I use their card generally. They also increase credit limit pretty quickly after first signing up which also helps my credit score

Gavin Jones Columbus, OH

Found the card I got with Capital One to be one of my most used. App is super user friendly and I have had great customer service when a charge was in dispute, where the matter was instantly resolved.

upnorthwi Bellevue, WA

Credit cards are pretty much all the same, high interest, bad customer service and gimmicks. Capital One is one of my favorites, nice interest rate, good customer service and more important is that they will assist you with a dispute with merchants. I like Capital One, it's in my wallet.

Jim Bullhead City, AZ

Had one of there credit cards and paid it off. They turned it in to collection and said I never paid it off. So I had to repay it. Now I can't get a credit card. Bad company

Ashley D Tallahassee, FL

Capital One is the first bank I have been with and even though it has been a year, I see myself continuously using this bank. They check my credit score weekly, send me updates about it, have me automatically connected to Zelle so I get money straight to my account, have little events about finance that I gain so much information from, etc. I also really love how much more online based it is. I can deposit a check right through the app! Capital One has made banking easier for a newcomer like myself. I don't really see any faults for this bank!

J B Sandy, UT

I know what's in my wallet, and I know I can depend on them for quality customer service and fraud protection.

Ryan Vett Chandler, AZ

I have a few cards with Capital One and they all offer great rewards programs and their customer support is top notch and available 24/7.

Rustys777 Morganton, NC

Great customer service and I love that they report to the credit agencies which helps build credit. Their app is convenient and alerts are very helpful

CMWitt Sun Prairie, WI

It seems like Capital One likes to "add on" services that are not essential. The low cost to uninformed consumers seems like a value, but you don't really need to pay for these add on services. I feel like they promote the add on services to the collage age person that might still be learning about credit. boo to them for doing this.

KG Lebanon, NJ

I don’t really use my capital one credit card anymore but I have in the past and it has been easy to use as well as download the app that goes along with it.

MGW San Jose, CA

I have 2 Capital One credit cards and have for a rather long time. I'm not sure why I ended up with 2 of them, but they're both equally good. My main reason for using them is when I travel or buy things from other countries. There are no foreign transaction fees. The rewards are good, but not great.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

My experience with Capital One has been amazing. They offer great cashback rewards, which is something I look for in credit cards. Additionally, they have great customer service cards, as I've hard to call about a claim before: they fixed my issue instantly!

BKLYN78 Covington, GA

Great card! Love the perks and rewards! Not to mention the Capital One Shopping app!

4 hours ago

Amy N Sandy, UT

Our Capital One card has a great points system. Really pleased with their customer service as well.

17 hours ago

Noa Ranoa Vista, CA

Great interest rate. Great service. This is a great company. I love my C1 cc. These guys are always with me and the fraud protection is 5 Stars.

Carolyn Hazleton, PA

Offers a competitive interest rate and selection of plan services. Customer service was easy to work with and resolved my issues with ease.

Mark Erwin Follansbee, WV

I had a car with these people one time and I canceled it because I had too many credit cards well that hurts your credits and now they will not stop mailing me stuff to get another card because I was an excellent customer

WT

Great company because they give credit to almost anyone. They need to do better with credit line increases. Also need to do better with reducing interest rates after a customer has some credit trustworthiness.

Brett Schiftner Weatherford, TX

Good service on cards. Customer service is great when I've needed it and their rewards programs are among the best I've seen

Darryl Shelmire Long Beach, CA

I joined capital one under their secured credit card program.. nice card, in less than 6 months ice gotten a credit line increase.

Steve Colella Coraopolis, PA

Excellent customer service and great options for earning points. The one negative is there are very few options to lower your existing interest rate and they rarely offer deals for earning more points.

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

Capital One is the perfect credit card for anyone who is looking to travel. You can earn rewards and miles on so many flights and other travel situations. An absolute must for my fellow travelers!