Capital One Logo

Capital One

9.4

LAST UPDATED: September 9th, 2021

As the fifth-largest consumer bank and eighth-largest bank overall in the nation, Capital One offers banking services with a focus on helping consumers find financial success with credit cards.

Capital One offers credit cards for all credit levels, making it one of the most popular choices in the industry - no matter if you have bad credit or excellent credit, there are options for you.

Backed by positive customer reviews, getting a credit card with Capital One is a great option for whatever your financial need may be.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and verified Capital One reviews from real customers.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Matt B. from American Fork, Utah

"I love my Capital One cards. I have several different ones for different rewards. They are accepted everywhere, I can choose which type of card I want and I recently called about my annual fee and they were so friendly and helpful."

The Good

• Variety of Cards
  • Pre-Approval Without Impacting Your Credit
  • Cards for Bad Credit
  • Rewards
  • 0% APR Credit Cards
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Check
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Variety of Cards

Capital One offers 19 different types of cards, allowing you to choose the best credit card based on your credit score, rate and fee preferences, and different rewards offerings.

Capital One seeks to provide a credit card option for every consumer. Those who are looking to rebuild credit can apply for a secured credit card, an offering that is not available with every credit card company. Those with excellent credit can choose from various cash back cards, or pick a rewards credit card, offering points or miles on airlines, hotels, or other travel expenses. Capital One also offers store credit cards for those with excellent credit scores.

Each credit card listed on Capital One's website lists the purchase rate, transfer information, annual fee, and credit level required for approval, making it easy to see at a glance what options might be best for you.

Pre-Approval Without Impacting Your Credit

If you'd like to check which cards you qualify for based on your current finances, you can do so without impacting your credit score.

Cards for Bad Credit

Capital One offers a secured credit card for consumers with bad credit, or those trying to rebuild credit.

Secured cards require a security deposit, which becomes your credit limit. Capital One requires a deposit of $49, $99, or $200 for an initial credit line of $200. This secured card is unique in that the security deposit is refundable, and the customer will be automatically considered for a higher credit line after six months. The card does not have an annual fee, but the APR rate is relatively high, at least compared to regular credit cards, at 26.99 percent variable APR.

Rewards

For the majority of their cards, excluding secured cards used for building credit, Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders.

Rewards vary based on each card. It is important to note that some cards do not allow rewards, including cash back, on all purchases. Some cards, such as the Savor® Rewards and SavorOne® Rewards cards only offer cashback on dining and entertainment. It is important to read all details provided to choose the rewards card that will best fit your needs.

0% APR Credit Cards

Capital One offers credit cards with a 0 percent intro APR, which is not necessarily unique to this card issuer. For those with excellent credit, they can apply for a card that will not require interest rate payment for the first 12 to 15 months.

Consumers with poor to fair credit will not be approved for cards with a 0 percent APR offering, and can generally expect higher rates.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently. Instead, foreign purchases will be automatically converted at the foreign exchange rate at the time of payment processing.

Free Credit Score Check

Through CreditWise® by Capital One, customers can access and view their credit history at no additional cost, and with no ramifications to their credit score.

It is important to note that CreditWise uses a different credit scoring model than the commonly used FICO score model. Both models are based on similar key factors that lenders look at when considering you for a credit offer.

Fraud Safeguards

Customer security is Capital One's top priority. To protect a customer's credit card information, as well as bank account and debit card information, Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards. Its associates are required to complete security training, and there are systems and protections put in place to protect a customer's personal information, such as their social security number.

If your card is lost or stolen, Capital One has listed phone numbers that you can call for immediate assistance. Upon contacting Capital One, your identity will be verified before account information is discussed or shared.

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Capital One reviews are positive with 84 percent of reviews rewarding the company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews most often highlight good experiences with customer service, including prompt responses and problem solving. In addition, customers are please with the ease of setting up an account, as well as competitive rates and rewards compared to other credit card issuers.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Beverly Schacher from Long Beach, Mississippi

"We have been very satisfied with our Capital One credit card. They don't charge an annual fee, their customer service is good. It let's you get cash advances and is accepted almost everywhere."

Of the limited complaints, customers outline being overcharged on fees as well as receiving high interest rates.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers credit cards with no annual fees, but there are various cards that have a required fee. Annual fees range from $39 to $95, which is significantly lower that other card issuers, such as American Express that has some cards with an annual fee of $250.

However, the higher the annual fee, the bigger the rewards that can be offered on that credit card.

Late Payment Penalties

Capital One charges a fee for late payments, which varies depending on the card.

The Bottom Line

Although Capital One experienced a large data breach in 2019, in which a hacker gained access to over 100 million credit card accounts, including access to personal information, Social Security numbers (Social Insurance numbers for Canadian customers) and bank account information, the company has bounced back, providing trustworthy service and fraud protection.

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs and competitive APRs. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place. If you have bad credit, Capital One has options available in the form of secured credit cards with refundable security deposits, providing an option for building or rebuilding credit.

The majority of Capital One customer reviews are positive, with the majority of customers outlining good experiences with customer service in which they received prompt service, especially in response to fraudulent card activity, which is good to see considering the company's past data breach.

Keep reading for Capital One credit card reviews.

Call our recommended rep over at Capital One below.

Melissa Castillo Baytown, TX

I use Capital One for my small business, and it has helped me with start-up costs. I'm happy with the value I get as a small business owner. Customer service is excellent, and I like the online options available.

Angela Chesapeake, VA

I have had a capital one credit card for more years than I can truly remember. Compared to other cards, their rate is very low to reasonable. What I love most is their rewards. It can go towards lowering your balance to gift cards.

carole abel Palm Coast, FL

although i pay an atrocious interest rate i am happy with my Cap one card- i have had it about 7 years and it has been so useful. i do not have the best credit but do have a good payment record, so they increase my limit without my having to ask. This happens as i reach my limit but have been making payments over the minimum, like when i have to replace my water heater! i know it affects my credit but its nice to have a decent amount of credit left in case of an emergency

LeAnn Baytown, TX

My first credit card. Capital One is great for credit card beginners. And now they have some great option for getting points.

Shelbi Griggs Houston, TX

Always have loved capital one, they never try to trick you or anything and have been able to build my credit score with it.

Mariana Arteaga Perez Danbury, CT

I’ve been using this company. For years and I love the automatic messages I receive plus they have a great money back program.

Kari Fisher Brigham City, UT

I have been with them for a few years. I have never had any problems at all! Very easy to use the app and to pay the monthly payment without any hassles.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

I don’t really like how this card or company works with payments and scores. My other cards from the past never penalized me for paying early or in full I’ve lost over 100 points!

Bee Endicott, NY

Capital One has the best products if you can't or don't want to go to a brick and mortar branch. They can do checking, savings, CD's, and credit cards, all online. They also used to do stock trading, but sadly they closed that part down.

enelson3903 Bowie, MD

Capital One is a fair company. Had problems and had to make a settlement and they allowed me to get another card.

Willie Sneed Dallas, TX

One of the worst credit cards you can ever have insecurity is non-existent security is a joke I had identity theft for that I'm still trying to fix I send them my payment in Dallas all my life all of a sudden I see a bill for me to San Francisco I had to find it they sent me a bill for it for bed and breakfasts in San Francisco how crazy can you be

Todd Jenkins Winter Park, FL

I have had Capital One credit card for over 10 years, and with the exception of the first year of owning the card they have never raised my credit limit. All my other credit cards (Citi, Discover, and American Express) never had an issue raising my credit limit. But, it not just that. Capital One has the highest interest of all my credit cards, and is never willing to negotiate with you. With most of my other credit cards I'm able to negotiate down the interest payment after being with them a couple of years, but that is not the case with Capital One. Last I don't particular care for their online interface. I have found my other credit card companies interface more intuitive. My recommendation is to seek elsewhere if you are looking for a credit card company. I can guarantee that you can find a better product.

Dave Spokane, WA

I love the rewards program of Capital One. I love the app and the website. Customer service is great. It has been my primary credit card for many years and I don't see that changing.

Christopher Milke Olney, MD

Great bank to deal with for multiple products, especially credit cards. Great customer service and card flexibility. Commercials can be a little corny, but the products are good.

Mason Allen Pleasant Grove, UT

My Capital One Venture card is great. I like the app and how I get notification receipts. I like that they have expanded what your points can go towards because of difficulties around Covid. I wish they had more actual travel partnerships, especially airlines because that is how I prefer to travel and I can't get much out of my points when it comes to air travel.

G Burt ,

Great experience with Capital One, their processes make setting up new accounts effortless and stress free. The technology they offer to manage those accounts is amazing as well. The only downside to Capital One is the lack of physical branches across the country - wish I would be able to have better options for cashiers checks/cash withdrawals on quick notice.

Karen Jorgensen Washington, UT

Love Capital One! We've been customers for over 20 years! It's been the best card for us to be able to use the points for whatever we want. I've used them for travel, new pots and pans, cash, and lots of other things over the years. I'm happy with their service and the one thing that has been a negative is in the beginning we were able to accumulate points quickly for flights, now they are more comparable to other airline cards in regards to how many points it costs for a ticket. But, I also realize that the cost of the tickets and overall expense of flying has increased in 20 years haha. We have no plans of changing our Capital One card.

Nancy Spokane, WA

I was approved for Capital One MasterCard. I make all my payments on time. I always check my Capital One App. Just to make sure everything looks okay. Well on the 5th month l checked my Capital One App like I always do. And BAM 💥 I had been given a huge credit increase. My credit score has improved by over 100 points. I still have a ways to go with my credit score. My minimum payment due is less than $30.00 I do pay more than the minimum though. Also at all times make sure you keep enough credit to cover your interest. I keep $15.00 credit at all times on my card to cover the interest. I highly recommend Capital One.

Jonny Hancock Draper, UT

Capital One will always be in my wallet! I called Capital One's customer service center to discuss what I thought to be an error on my monthly statement. The customer service professional helped me understand my monthly statement and was kind and knowledgable. Never did I feel belittled or judged for my misunderstanding with my statement. Towards the end of my call, I thanked them for helping me and apologized for misreading the statement mentioning, "I just recently got married and I forgot with all of the commotion of the wedding that I bought that." They politely ended the call telling me to call back if I had any more questions. The following week I received a card in the mail addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Hancock from Capital One. Curious, I opened the envelope and found a hand-written note from the customer service representative I had talked to, along with a $50 gift card to Bed Bath and Beyond. The note read, "Congratulations to the young couple, we are sorry this card is late but we hope you have a beautiful marriage." This has stuck with me for over 2 years! Because of this amazing act of kindness I will forever use Capital One's credit card.

Makayla Holland Gaithersburg, MD

Capital one is the best credit card easy online system and approval process I wish I could get more cards with them. The process is very easy to get a card.

Teria Uzzle Norfolk, VA

Like the app to help me with my balance. The new credit limit is great and easy to apply for. The customer service is great and very helpful friendly staff.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

We use our Capital One card for all our CAPS transactions, although we haven't been able to see the CAPS since Covid issues have prevented seeing games in person! We handle everything via email or online and have always gotten great support when we had questions or needed help.

Lisa C Johnson Rockville, MD

When I first got a job it was hard for me to acquire credit. Capital one was the first to give me a credit card and the only one to give me a loan for a new car. I like the fact that they remind you of when your due date is. Capital One is the only credit card that I carry.

AshMan17 Riverton, UT

We love, love, love capital one. Their point system was second to none (can use points for anything, and redemption is as simple as it gets) and then they stepped up the program and made it even better by allowing you to pay for purchases at Amazon with Cap One points. We have been long time members and have no regrets!

TOG112 Fayetteville, AR

I have used Capital One QuickSilver as my prime credit card for several years. I have had a couple of disputes with merchants and they have handled these issues quickly and satisfactorily. I appreciate that Capital One provides a good exchange rate for foreign purchases without foreign exchange fee. Originally, I experimented with this card because it had a 1.5% cash reward. Now I have found a card that offers a 2% reward and I will try it. I pay my balance monthly and avoid interest and late fees.

Harry Reker Maple Shade Township, NJ

I have and use a Capital One card for many years and, by far, they have been the best Company, of many, that I have used. Whenever I had any issue their customer service has been beyond excellent in satisfying my problem in a professional, caring and expeditious manner. I am not a big fan of commercials but Capital One's "Don't leave home without it" slogan rings true for me.

Branden South San Francisco, CA

The costumer service department as well as the costumer relations department and the all around company as a whole were amazing and knowledgeable and efficient and accommodating, speak to you with more then just a friendly tone but moreso as if you were a family member to them I completely loved having them not only as a credit card provider but in my life all together!!!!

Emerald Scott West Jordan, UT

I have loved everything about my Capital One Credit card. They are really good at keeping you updated on purchases and even alerted me to when there was a potentially fraudulent purchase on my card which it was! I was able to dispute the purchase easily and get a new card. The 1.5% cash back on all purchases has been a great thing too! I haven't ever had any problems with the company.

Gordon Nez Gallup, NM

Capital One CC services are very efficient and manage their accounts well! i enjoyed a long relationship with them and they were supportive when my life situation changed for the worst. no job, no income and they stood by me. unfortunately, my life didn't change as fast as i needed it too. i understand what had to happen but i am going to pay them back what they gave me. they game a lot of respect!!

seanth57 Columbus, GA

Best customer service, I love the cash back card, just easy money buying items you need.

David Anderson Providence, UT

I have a personal and a business card with Capital One. I love that they are accessible in the same login, I can transfer money to and from both of them, see balances, etc, but they are separate accounts. I have a venture card and that card pays a ton of money back to me. It is super easy to get the benefits back as cash. I just click the rewards and go in and select a qualified purchase and it will reimburse it as cash right back to my card. For a while I was getting as much as 300 to 400 back every month in cash. Way cool

Devin Cutter Long Beach, CA

I have been a Capital One cardholder since 2014 and quickly became a huge fan of their travel cards because you aren’t limited to using miles on a specific airline or service. Instead, you can redeem your points on any travel related purchase (rental cars, airfare, hotels, public transit, ride shares, etc.) for a credit to your account. I have always treated my credit cards as if they were debit cards, never spend more than I have, and pay in full every month. Learning that most of my bills accept credit card payments became a game changer for my traveling habits. I am able to purchase 2-4 roundtrip tickets every year depending on destination using my points alone. I started out with the Venture One card, which offers 1.25 miles per dollar on every purchase and has no annual fee. Now, I use the Venture card, which offers 2 miles per dollar, has a $95 annual fee, and a $100 credit for Global Entry or TSA pre-check fees. This easily pays for itself. The app is clean and easy to use, and the customer service is always prompt and professional. I have also signed up to receive texts every time a purchase is made, just for peace of mind. This is the #1 credit card I recommend to friends and family. My mom and brother now use Capital One exclusively and love it as much as I do.

Edith O'Halloran Englewood, CO

I've been a Capital One Customer for over the last 8 years. The have access on line 24/7 has been a great asset. To be able to make a deposit by using my phone has saved me time and money. The assistance that is given for items that I did not want to be charged for can not be beat. The team for fraud are the very best at followup and assisting in resolving the problems. The interest and payback credits are the best that are offered in the industry. I have never been denied service or credit. The company does a very good job of keeping their customers informed about payments and charging activities. I have been notified of any transaction that is out of the regular spending that I do.

Jay Bartels Lutz, FL

I can highly recommend capital one credit cards . They have great customer service and are willing to work with you through hard times

Michael M

I think Capital One is great. I use their Venture Card. It's easy to get miles/points. The app is helpful. They notify me of any odd activity. Only card I use.

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

This is my "go to" card, with 1.5% cashback. No need to worry about getting cashback from quarterly incentives or shopping at specific stores. Linking my account with Capital One 360 allows me to easily fund my bill.

Bethany Rockville, MD

I have been using capital one for the past 20 years and it never disappoints me. In recent years, it added a feature to email me every suspicious or significant withdrawal, which made me feel safe.

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

This is by far my favorite credit card. The rewards are the highest I have found between other credit card companies. Capital One will be the card that I will most likely continue to use far into the future.

Stephanie Byrd Miami, FL

Capital one is one of the banks I bank with and while it is an amazing bank, it has its flaws. From personal experience Capital one does not give frequent updates on the status of my account and their mobile banking is quite simplistic. Nonetheless, their customer service is reliable.

Morgan Huff Phoenix, AZ

Capital One has always had great customer service and reliability when it comes to my credit card. Whenever there is a problem with my card or suspicious activity, Capital One is always there.

Steve Knight Salt Lake City, UT

I really like to convenience that their website offers. I have three cards with them and I can manage all of them through the same website. The website is very easy to navigate as well.

Billy Fuller

Helpful and understanding Reporting to the credit bureau Ontario helping your credit score I've had a couple issues were I wouldn't able to make payment they were able to waive those issues for me very thankful for capital one

James Quarles

Capital One is incredibly quick to intercept fraudulent charges and work with the cardholder to void the ttansaction. Moreover, the rewards program is generous and the interest rate charged for purchases, while seemingly high, is competitive. A very professional comsumer credit bank.credit

JDWain Tallahassee, FL

Recently took advantage of one of the Capital One promotions for a credit card where I got 100 dollars back for spending so much in the first 3 months. I also love using capital ones money market account where i can get 2% on my savings account!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Capital One is one of my best credit card experiences. Capital One offered the best rate and line of credit and offered the best online options. The approval process was quick and billing is very simplified. Can't think of a better bank to work with!

Karen Shadle

Very unhappy with my last experience. An ad stated that I could apply for a credit card from them with interest rates from 14%-29%. My other card are 7.9% and 12.5%, as I have an excellent credit rating. When I called there was a LONG wait time. Customer service said anyone could apply on line and it would be faster. So, I did, was accepted immediately, BUT THE INTEREST RATE ASSIGNED WAS 28%!!! I couldn't talk to a real person to explain, and there was no way to refuse the card online. I would NEVER accept a card with a rate like that. I called customer service and they said they could do nothing about my rate, because it had been online. Cards came in the mail and I immediately cancelled them. NOBODY I was able to speak with had anything to offer me except the 28% interest rate for their card. Who in heck gets the 15% cards? They also wouldn't tell me that. Maybe it was all a lie and they were handing only high interest rate cards.?? Not doing business with them ever again.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

I have been very happy with my Capitol One credit card. I try not to be late but on that occasional time that I have been late by a day of two, Capitol One has taken great care of me. I have really appreciated their customer service.

Mark Bellevue, WA

overall, this is a great card. I have been happy with their customer service. I did have one mishap several years back where I paid my balance in full but it posted a day late. As a result, they posted a late fee which I did not know about for a few months. That said, I had a delinquency. I learned about it when I attempted to refinance my house and was told by my loan officer that my credit score dropped a bit. When I called Capital One to explain the situation, they offered no help. This has taught me to always quadruple check my balance to make sure all is paid off in full.

Nathan P. Minneapolis, MN

By far the best mobile app and online experience I've used compared to 5 other providers. user experience was intuitive, the buttons were easy to press, and they used normal language rather than industry-specific lingo for their products and processes.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

Capital one offered me a credit card when I was rebuilding my credit. They’ve been easy to work with to raise my credit limit - and the last time I spoke with client services, they informed me I had a free upgrade on my card available. I didn’t even have to ask! I love my capital one card.