Capital One Logo

Capital One

9.4

As the fifth-largest consumer bank and eighth-largest bank overall in the nation, Capital One offers banking services with a focus on helping consumers find financial success with credit cards.

Capital One offers credit cards for all credit levels, making it one of the most popular choices in the industry - no matter if you have bad credit or excellent credit, there are options for you.

Backed by positive customer reviews, getting a credit card with Capital One is a great option for whatever your financial need may be.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and verified Capital One reviews from real customers.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Matt B. from American Fork, Utah

"I love my Capital One cards. I have several different ones for different rewards. They are accepted everywhere, I can choose which type of card I want and I recently called about my annual fee and they were so friendly and helpful."

The Good

• Variety of Cards
  • Pre-Approval Without Impacting Your Credit
  • Cards for Bad Credit
  • Rewards
  • 0% APR Credit Cards
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Check
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Variety of Cards

Capital One offers 19 different types of cards, allowing you to choose the best credit card based on your credit score, rate and fee preferences, and different rewards offerings.

Capital One seeks to provide a credit card option for every consumer. Those who are looking to rebuild credit can apply for a secured credit card, an offering that is not available with every credit card company. Those with excellent credit can choose from various cash back cards, or pick a rewards credit card, offering points or miles on airlines, hotels, or other travel expenses. Capital One also offers store credit cards for those with excellent credit scores.

Each credit card listed on Capital One's website lists the purchase rate, transfer information, annual fee, and credit level required for approval, making it easy to see at a glance what options might be best for you.

Pre-Approval Without Impacting Your Credit

If you'd like to check which cards you qualify for based on your current finances, you can do so without impacting your credit score.

Cards for Bad Credit

Capital One offers a secured credit card for consumers with bad credit, or those trying to rebuild credit.

Secured cards require a security deposit, which becomes your credit limit. Capital One requires a deposit of $49, $99, or $200 for an initial credit line of $200. This secured card is unique in that the security deposit is refundable, and the customer will be automatically considered for a higher credit line after six months. The card does not have an annual fee, but the APR rate is relatively high, at least compared to regular credit cards, at 26.99 percent variable APR.

Rewards

For the majority of their cards, excluding secured cards used for building credit, Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders.

Rewards vary based on each card. It is important to note that some cards do not allow rewards, including cash back, on all purchases. Some cards, such as the Savor® Rewards and SavorOne® Rewards cards only offer cashback on dining and entertainment. It is important to read all details provided to choose the rewards card that will best fit your needs.

0% APR Credit Cards

Capital One offers credit cards with a 0 percent intro APR, which is not necessarily unique to this card issuer. For those with excellent credit, they can apply for a card that will not require interest rate payment for the first 12 to 15 months.

Consumers with poor to fair credit will not be approved for cards with a 0 percent APR offering, and can generally expect higher rates.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently. Instead, foreign purchases will be automatically converted at the foreign exchange rate at the time of payment processing.

Free Credit Score Check

Through CreditWise® by Capital One, customers can access and view their credit history at no additional cost, and with no ramifications to their credit score.

It is important to note that CreditWise uses a different credit scoring model than the commonly used FICO score model. Both models are based on similar key factors that lenders look at when considering you for a credit offer.

Fraud Safeguards

Customer security is Capital One's top priority. To protect a customer's credit card information, as well as bank account and debit card information, Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards. Its associates are required to complete security training, and there are systems and protections put in place to protect a customer's personal information, such as their social security number.

If your card is lost or stolen, Capital One has listed phone numbers that you can call for immediate assistance. Upon contacting Capital One, your identity will be verified before account information is discussed or shared.

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Capital One reviews are positive with 84 percent of reviews rewarding the company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews most often highlight good experiences with customer service, including prompt responses and problem solving. In addition, customers are please with the ease of setting up an account, as well as competitive rates and rewards compared to other credit card issuers.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Beverly Schacher from Long Beach, Mississippi

"We have been very satisfied with our Capital One credit card. They don't charge an annual fee, their customer service is good. It let's you get cash advances and is accepted almost everywhere."

Of the limited complaints, customers outline being overcharged on fees as well as receiving high interest rates.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers credit cards with no annual fees, but there are various cards that have a required fee. Annual fees range from $39 to $95, which is significantly lower that other card issuers, such as American Express that has some cards with an annual fee of $250.

However, the higher the annual fee, the bigger the rewards that can be offered on that credit card.

Late Payment Penalties

Capital One charges a fee for late payments, which varies depending on the card.

The Bottom Line

Although Capital One experienced a large data breach in 2019, in which a hacker gained access to over 100 million credit card accounts, including access to personal information, Social Security numbers (Social Insurance numbers for Canadian customers) and bank account information, the company has bounced back, providing trustworthy service and fraud protection.

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs and competitive APRs. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place. If you have bad credit, Capital One has options available in the form of secured credit cards with refundable security deposits, providing an option for building or rebuilding credit.

The majority of Capital One customer reviews are positive, with the majority of customers outlining good experiences with customer service in which they received prompt service, especially in response to fraudulent card activity, which is good to see considering the company's past data breach.

Keep reading for Capital One credit card reviews.

View Best Credit Card Companies

Call our recommended rep over at Capital One below.

Jay Bartels Lutz, FL

I can highly recommend capital one credit cards . They have great customer service and are willing to work with you through hard times

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Capital One is a HORRIBLE company and can't be trusted at all!!!! When I was first married, I received a Capital One credit card. They constantly lied to me and they really screwed me with their fees. Even when I tried to use a credit consolidating company, Capital One was still a nightmare. I don't trust them at all. Never have, never will!!!

Miller Clarksburg, MD

Capital One makes it very easy to use their banking app. It has a lot of useful features.

Chris Milke Olney, MD

Former customer who moved to a different issuing bank due to frequent fraudulent charge issues. Capital One did an admirable job fixing fraudulent charges, but the nuisance of having the card terminated and being sent a new one became too much to deal with. Hopefully technology can help their loss prevention do a better job on this front.

Jwat1213 Mount Airy, MD

Very easy to use o use the app which I appreciate. I have gotten car loans with them

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

Capitol One Credit cards are widely accepted but normally carry a higher than market rate based upon same credit ratings. I only use my card to pay for Washington CAPs season tickets, as Capitol One gives us some perks for using their card within Capitol One Area. If were not for this use, I would not have their card.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

We use our Capital One card for all our CAPS transactions, although we haven't been able to see the CAPS since Covid issues have prevented seeing games in person! We handle everything via email or online and have always gotten great support when we had questions or needed help.

Toni Purdy Bullhead City, AZ

Not please with Capital One. They suspend your card when you spend a lot assuming it is a fraud. embarrassing to say the least.

Lisa C Johnson Windsor Mill, MD

I am happy with the rates. I have been a customer for awhile now. They do check in every once in a while to see if I want an increase. I am satisfied with Capital One.

Bethany Rockville, MD

I have been using capital one for the past 20 years and it never disappoints me. In recent years, it added a feature to email me every suspicious or significant withdrawal, which made me feel safe.

Olivia Hardy Olney, MD

Capital One is reliable. Customer service is mediocre. Capital One app is great and helps with banking.

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

This is by far my favorite credit card. The rewards are the highest I have found between other credit card companies. Capital One will be the card that I will most likely continue to use far into the future.

Dave Marlowe American Fork, UT

I’ve had a capital one credit card for many years I found that making part of the vocally along with her benefits with the card is worth using it

Stephanie Byrd Miami, FL

Capital one is one of the banks I bank with and while it is an amazing bank, it has its flaws. From personal experience Capital one does not give frequent updates on the status of my account and their mobile banking is quite simplistic. Nonetheless, their customer service is reliable.

Ramona Kiffing Pompano Beach, FL

I enjoy how reliable Capital One is with my money. They are very willing to dispute my transactions and protect my account. My experience with them have been great so far.

Morgan Huff Phoenix, AZ

Capital One has always had great customer service and reliability when it comes to my credit card. Whenever there is a problem with my card or suspicious activity, Capital One is always there.

Spencer ,

Great! A good company that’s easy to use. I like that most rates aren’t high for long periods of time

Ivy King Norcross, GA

Misleading information on services available. Interest rates ( in my opinion) are too high.

AshMan17 Riverton, UT

We love, love, love capital one. Their point system was second to none (can use points for anything, and redemption is as simple as it gets) and then they stepped up the program and made it even better by allowing you to pay for purchases at Amazon with Cap One points. We have been long time members and have no regrets!

G Burt ,

Great experience with Capital One, their processes make setting up new accounts effortless and stress free. The technology they offer to manage those accounts is amazing as well. The only downside to Capital One is the lack of physical branches across the country - wish I would be able to have better options for cashiers checks/cash withdrawals on quick notice.

Mason Allen Pleasant Grove, UT

My Capital One Venture card is great. I like the app and how I get notification receipts. I like that they have expanded what your points can go towards because of difficulties around Covid. I wish they had more actual travel partnerships, especially airlines because that is how I prefer to travel and I can't get much out of my points when it comes to air travel.

Erica Atlanta, GA

Fantastic customer service and easy to use app whenever I need to check my balance or maybe freeze my card.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Love my Capitol One Card! Great benefits like airfare and amazon credit! Their customer service and communication is great!

Steve Knight Salt Lake City, UT

I really like to convenience that their website offers. I have three cards with them and I can manage all of them through the same website. The website is very easy to navigate as well.

Mike Salt Lake City, UT

A great credit card company. They have some of the better rewards and great costumer service.

MikeD Denver, CO

The app is really easy to use. They are really great at communicating to you about your account. I really like all the special offers they make available to you.

Raymond Hyde Park, UT

I wish my payment would process faster. It’s an inconvenience to wait for the entire billing cycle.

Brian Salt Lake City, UT

I've been a member for probably 20 years, I continue to stick with them. Good customer service, good benefits, and good fraud protection.

Nathan Justis Smithfield, UT

I was using ING.com when it was bought by Capital One and have been fairly pleased with their services, but interest rates have been really on my internet banking account the last many years so I'm not using them much anymore.

Maegan Rust Logan, UT

Capital one was the quickest was for us to gain a credit score fast in order to buy a house quicker. Their website and customer service is great!

Brittany Flammer Logan, UT

It is Convenient. Easy to use. I’ve used their credit card for several years now!

Melissa Providence, UT

Great company at detecting fraud on your account. They will notify you immediately and ask if this is a purchase you made.

Katie Elliott ,

I recently started with Capital One. They have been very great to work with. So far we have not any trouble.

Jared Holland Eagle Mountain, UT

Easy to get up and running. I have two teenagers on teen banking and I can track all of their purchases as they happen.

David Anderson Providence, UT

I have a personal and a business card with Capital One. I love that they are accessible in the same login, I can transfer money to and from both of them, see balances, etc, but they are separate accounts. I have a venture card and that card pays a ton of money back to me. It is super easy to get the benefits back as cash. I just click the rewards and go in and select a qualified purchase and it will reimburse it as cash right back to my card. For a while I was getting as much as 300 to 400 back every month in cash. Way cool

Jarvis Johnson Smithfield, UT

Overcharged on fees. Not very good customer service. Purchases seemed like they were double the rate or percentage.

Robyn Johnson Smithfield, UT

I had an employee charge a lot of money on my account a year after It supposedly had been closed.

Brynne Davies Kuna, ID

Best credit card ever! They have caught fraud several on my acct several times. Can’t say enough great things about capital one!! Awesome customer service!

Chelsey Smith ,

Best interest rate, super user friendly app. Great customer service! Capitol One is our families go to card!

Mat A Rancho Cordova, CA

Capital One has been a good credit card. I just recently switched over to the Venture card and I’m excited to see the miles I will be getting using this card. I highly recommend them.

Linda felt Salt Lake City, UT

I have used capital one when making purchases from various companies. They have offered lower interest for 18 months.

Brittney Veillon Denham Springs, LA

Good service and has a real quick service unless you are on the phone with them and some people are rude.

Katie Lewis Eagle Mountain, UT

Capital one gave me a card and it was easy. They don't offer very good incentives to use their card as other companies do.

Morgan whiting Los Angeles, CA

I am very happy with My Capital One card. They have always treated me well and report my payments.

Casual Spence Colorado Springs, CO

I really like this credit card. It notifies you via text when a charge has been approved. I also like the app to maintain my account.

Teagan Jarvis Los Angeles, CA

Reliable bank, I use the student credit card which has a lot of perks beneficial to those who can utilize them.

Derek Borsh Akron, OH

Capital one savings accounts have some good benefits. They have competitive rates, and good online services.

Patrick Curry Salt Lake City, UT

We use Capital one primarily at our business for all of our purchases. They are great to work with and offer great interest rates

Swedish_queen Cheyenne, WY

I have only had good things to say about Capital One! They have great customer service!

Esmeralda C Sylmar, CA

This was my first credit card. It was the thing that help me start building my credit . I love the app and how it allows me to view my credit score and gives me many helpful tips on how to continue improving my score.