Capital One

Capital One Logo

9.4

Capital One

Capital One offers APRs ranging from 0 to 24.99 percent*

Founded in 1994 in Richmond, Virginia, Capital One offers a number of financial services, including credit cards, banking services, loans, and investments.

The Good

• Rewards
  • APRs
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score
  • Fraud Safeguards

Rewards

Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders. For example, the company offers the Quicksilver card, which gives members every tenth Uber ride for free (up to $15), and the Venture card, which gives members two miles per dollar on all purchases.

APRs

For some of its cards, Capital One offers introductory APRs of 0 percent for the first nine to twelve months. After that, variable APRs range from 12.24 to 24.99 percent*, which is competitive within the industry.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently.

Free Credit Score

Capital One provides its customers with the ability to view and monitor their FICO score at no additional cost.

Fraud Safeguards

Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards, including putting its associates through security training, putting social security number protections in place, and providing secure electronic funds transfers. Visit Site

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers a few cards that charge an annual fee of $0. However, after that, annual fees can go up to $59 per year, depending on the card.

Late Payment Penalties

Depending on the card, Capital One charges a fee of $35 to $39 for late payments.

The Bottom Line

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs, competitive APRs, and fraud safeguards. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place.

Tevita
September 27th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Easy to apply for and opened with a good credit line. I like how they increase my credit line automatically since I am good standing customer.

Tori Miller
September 25th, 2018 Draper, UT

We have had a credit card with Capital one for many years and love how easy it is to use their online and automated phone services. It is so easy and accessible to make a payment or check your transactions. The interest rate isn't the best, but we like how you accumulate points and can buy things with those points.

Shari Evers
September 18th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I really like getting rewarded for using a credit card. We have athletes in the house that require us to go out of town. With tour Capitol One card we are able to use it towards travel and earn rewards for future travel. Love it!

Celia
September 13th, 2018 Waipahu, HI

Got this card as a starter card, its ok if you have no credits or so so credits. I still have it but my got my daughter as an authorize user so she uses it more since she's in college.

Bryon Walters
September 4th, 2018 Beaver Dam, WI DETAILS

I had my credit card shut off because Capital One didn't send me the monthly bill. I pay my balance every month, credit limit is 3 times the amount owed and I called immediately when I received the July and August bill on the same day and told customer service about the issue and that a check would be sent the same day. They still shut the card down so I had no credit card over the Labor day weekend. Less than impressed I would never treat one of my customers in such a manner.

Shanna
August 31st, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Capital one is great if you are needing to build credit. I currently have a card through Capital one. When I lost my card a few weeks back they were very helpful in getting me a new card.

Derek Scoville
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been searching for a credit card that offers great rewards other than skymiles. Capital One gave me the limit I was requesting and gives me a high cash back %.

Robin
August 29th, 2018 Orem, UT

the easiest online application. within a week i received my card in the mail. i had a family emergency and need to go out of town. to my surprise i was approved for a credit increase. the monthly payments are decent, fits in my budget. customer service is wonderful.

Lisa
August 29th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

I love Capital One for my credit card company. I love the cell phone app, the ease of use and I love the feature that it alerts you of every purchase immediately. This feature makes it simple to keep track of.

Thomas Hullinger
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Credit One has so many options in credit cards. I have been able to personalize them and get the rewards program that I want. I also like their rates.

Mali
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

Easy Approval and Credit Limit Increase. i have a lot of credit cards and this by far is the best because i am not getting numerous telemarketing calls from them. They send me everything through email, even my statements. They send me a reminder of when my next billing cycle is due. When i had a question they were helpful and kind.

Aiga
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

easy, fast approval and you get your card within less than 10 days. Interest rate is high. Payments are affordable. Customer service is nice depending on the agent you get. Easy to make payment arrangements. Statements were readable.

Tilda
August 27th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Always been good from their rates to customer service.

Jr
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

easy and fast approval. credit limit increase came at the perfect time. customer service always kind and helpful. monthly payments were affordable.

tini mapu
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

This was the first company to approve me for a credit card. My credit wasn't that great and they still approved me. They help build credit and they even helped me get back into shape when I missed some payments. They are so good to their customers.

Dave Brinton
August 27th, 2018 DETAILS

Good terms and special offers. I appreciate the cash advance rate and terms.

Allyah
August 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

fast easy application, got my card within a few, easy activation, customer service was good, didn't have to wait long on the line to speak to a represenatative. credit limit when i needed it was very quick to do.

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have enjoyed my credit card through capital one because of the points I receive for free travel. It adds up fast!

Troy Millett
August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

I have had a Venture credit card for the last few years. I love it! I love the double miles reward on every purchase. I don't like the $60 annual fee, but since I probably earn close to $1500 a year in points, I cannot complain too much. I use this card for everything.

Kim Millett
August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

This is the greatest card! (We have the Venture card). We earn roughly $1500 of travel per year using this card. It helps to pay for our yearly cruise. I love just having one card so that I can easily keep track of expenses and payments. We have never had a problem with this company. We have now had the card 3 years.

Lesa Burgess
August 20th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

If you want to travel more, this is the credit card to own. I feel really safe owning this cards. If you own a Capital One card, it will help you look for any travel that may have been charged so that you receive the proper credit. One of the best decisions I made was getting a Capital One Card... 5 STARS!

Carolynn
August 20th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

We have never had a problem with them. Customer service is always helpful when I had to call in. Their mobile app is very convenient and easy to use.

Nathan Johnson
August 6th, 2018 Palmyra, PA

Spent hours online and on phone trying to add my spouse to checking account to no avail. I found it frustrating that such a simple, reasonable request couldn't be handled.

Sarah
August 2nd, 2018 Fairfax, VA

I really like their credit card and they make it very easy to link your credit card account to your bank accounts for easy payments and such. They have a good cash back/rewards benefit.

Jenny whipple
July 31st, 2018 Mesa, AZ

Our capital one card is convenient to use in many locations.

Katherine Smith
July 27th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Love our capital one. Love the cash rewards.

Chris Alonzo
July 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Great card to have for emergencies although customer service could improve. They call times are always long and they are quick to resolve your problem but are not very patient if you have more than one issue.

Taylor Vance
July 26th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I like their online banking platform. Intuitive and sleek.

Ruth Anne Bright
July 25th, 2018 Mount Washington, KY

Good card however can be difficult to resolve issues. Customer service tries very hard to limit issue to one call resolutions.

James Nelson
July 23rd, 2018 Falls Church, VA

I have always been impressed with the individual attention given to the customers. They have gone above and beyond to ensure that my needs are met to my satisfaction. In addition, there are no hidden fees that I have ever stumbled upon--staff seem very transparent and deliver excellent service.

Tanner Hales
July 19th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Security on cards is good. However, customer service is NOT great. Sometimes it takes forever for my payment to process on their end, even after they have pulled the money from my checking account. Very difficult to get my credit limit increased, and I have never missed a payment.

Rob Whipple
July 16th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

Website is easy to use. Sometimes have to wait to get through to customer service on the phone.

Spencer Hodgson
July 16th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Never had a problem with my credit card. They also give you credit wise for free so you can check your credit as much as you want and not damage it.

Alicia Holman
July 11th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

This card gives opportunity for someone whose credit may not be great, so it's great for rebuilding. They are also good at increasing credit lines in a timely manner. The interest rates are too high, but that's to be expected.

Harry Reker
July 10th, 2018 Maple Shade Township, NJ DETAILS

I have and use a Capital One card for many years and, by far, they have been the best Company, of many, that I have used. Whenever I had any issue their customer service has been beyond excellent in satisfying my problem in a professional, caring and expeditious manner. I am not a big fan of commercials but Capital One's "Don't leave home without it" slogan rings true for me.

Aaron Foote
July 9th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

I like my Captial One credit cards, especially. Really no issues from them as long as I have done my part and paying my bills on time. Even received credit raises without asking.

Kaleb Herbert
July 9th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Love this card. Interest is high, but I knew that before getting it. Great customer service and love the credit wise report I can check anytime.

Jim Stewart
July 6th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Lowest rate card I have. Customer service is excellent.

Troy Siren
June 29th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I love my credit card and it all it’s perks. Lots of options to use for cash back or travel.

Diana Melnyk
June 25th, 2018

I am getting a lot of great airmiles using my Capitol One Travel card. I use it at Costco in Canada and I have no complaints.