Capital One Logo

7.5

LAST UPDATED: February 24th, 2024

As the fifth-largest consumer bank and eighth-largest bank overall in the nation, Capital One offers banking services with a focus on helping consumers find financial success with credit cards.

Capital One offers credit cards for all credit levels, making it one of the most popular choices in the industry - no matter if you have bad credit or excellent credit, there are options for you.

Backed by positive customer reviews, getting a credit card with Capital One is a great option for whatever your financial need may be.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and verified Capital One reviews from real customers.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Matt B. from American Fork, Utah

"I love my Capital One cards. I have several different ones for different rewards. They are accepted everywhere, I can choose which type of card I want and I recently called about my annual fee and they were so friendly and helpful."

The Good

• Variety of Cards
  • Pre-Approval Without Impacting Your Credit
  • Cards for Bad Credit
  • Rewards
  • 0% APR Credit Cards
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Check
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Variety of Cards

Capital One offers 19 different types of cards, allowing you to choose the best credit card based on your credit score, rate and fee preferences, and different rewards offerings.

Capital One seeks to provide a credit card option for every consumer. Those who are looking to rebuild credit can apply for a secured credit card, an offering that is not available with every credit card company. Those with excellent credit can choose from various cash back cards, or pick a rewards credit card, offering points or miles on airlines, hotels, or other travel expenses. Capital One also offers store credit cards for those with excellent credit scores.

Each credit card listed on Capital One's website lists the purchase rate, transfer information, annual fee, and credit level required for approval, making it easy to see at a glance what options might be best for you.

Pre-Approval Without Impacting Your Credit

If you'd like to check which cards you qualify for based on your current finances, you can do so without impacting your credit score.

Cards for Bad Credit

Capital One offers a secured credit card for consumers with bad credit, or those trying to rebuild credit.

Secured cards require a security deposit, which becomes your credit limit. Capital One requires a deposit of $49, $99, or $200 for an initial credit line of $200. This secured card is unique in that the security deposit is refundable, and the customer will be automatically considered for a higher credit line after six months. The card does not have an annual fee, but the APR rate is relatively high, at least compared to regular credit cards, at 26.99 percent variable APR.

Rewards

For the majority of their cards, excluding secured cards used for building credit, Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders.

Rewards vary based on each card. It is important to note that some cards do not allow rewards, including cash back, on all purchases. Some cards, such as the Savor® Rewards and SavorOne® Rewards cards only offer cashback on dining and entertainment. It is important to read all details provided to choose the rewards card that will best fit your needs.

0% APR Credit Cards

Capital One offers credit cards with a 0 percent intro APR, which is not necessarily unique to this card issuer. For those with excellent credit, they can apply for a card that will not require interest rate payment for the first 12 to 15 months.

Consumers with poor to fair credit will not be approved for cards with a 0 percent APR offering, and can generally expect higher rates.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently. Instead, foreign purchases will be automatically converted at the foreign exchange rate at the time of payment processing.

Free Credit Score Check

Through CreditWise® by Capital One, customers can access and view their credit history at no additional cost, and with no ramifications to their credit score.

It is important to note that CreditWise uses a different credit scoring model than the commonly used FICO score model. Both models are based on similar key factors that lenders look at when considering you for a credit offer.

Fraud Safeguards

Customer security is Capital One's top priority. To protect a customer's credit card information, as well as bank account and debit card information, Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards. Its associates are required to complete security training, and there are systems and protections put in place to protect a customer's personal information, such as their social security number.

If your card is lost or stolen, Capital One has listed phone numbers that you can call for immediate assistance. Upon contacting Capital One, your identity will be verified before account information is discussed or shared.

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Capital One reviews are positive with 84 percent of reviews rewarding the company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews most often highlight good experiences with customer service, including prompt responses and problem solving. In addition, customers are please with the ease of setting up an account, as well as competitive rates and rewards compared to other credit card issuers.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Beverly Schacher from Long Beach, Mississippi

"We have been very satisfied with our Capital One credit card. They don't charge an annual fee, their customer service is good. It let's you get cash advances and is accepted almost everywhere."

Of the limited complaints, customers outline being overcharged on fees as well as receiving high interest rates.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers credit cards with no annual fees, but there are various cards that have a required fee. Annual fees range from $39 to $95, which is significantly lower that other card issuers, such as American Express that has some cards with an annual fee of $250.

However, the higher the annual fee, the bigger the rewards that can be offered on that credit card.

Late Payment Penalties

Capital One charges a fee for late payments, which varies depending on the card.

The Bottom Line

Although Capital One experienced a large data breach in 2019, in which a hacker gained access to over 100 million credit card accounts, including access to personal information, Social Security numbers (Social Insurance numbers for Canadian customers) and bank account information, the company has bounced back, providing trustworthy service and fraud protection.

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs and competitive APRs. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place. If you have bad credit, Capital One has options available in the form of secured credit cards with refundable security deposits, providing an option for building or rebuilding credit.

The majority of Capital One customer reviews are positive, with the majority of customers outlining good experiences with customer service in which they received prompt service, especially in response to fraudulent card activity, which is good to see considering the company's past data breach.

Keep reading for Capital One credit card reviews.

Isiah Bullock

Capital One's online banking services are convenient and easy to use. I appreciate the insights provided through their spending tracking tools, which help me manage my finances more effectively. The credit card rewards program offers a variety of options for redemption, and the customer service team is responsive to inquiries. Overall, I'm satisfied with my experience with Capital One.

Rikki Racela Englewood, NJ

I had the capital one cashback rewards card which for the longest time was the only 2% cashback card for any purchase. has been great to use and reap the rewards of my spending. also nice that there are no foreign transaction fees with this card.

Candice S Milan, TN

One of the best credit cards I've had. They have a large selection of offers for whatever your needs. They offer great cash back incentives and capital one shopping is a great chrome extension for coupons. My capital one extensions saves me tons of money and automatically applies the best discount every time I shop online.

LUCINDA L BURGESS Whiting, NJ

ONE OF FEW CREDIT CARD COMPANIES THAT YOU CAN GET REAL ANSWERS, THEY'RE WILLING TO WORK WITH YOU IF YOU CAN'T MAKE AN UPCOMING PAYMENT, NO PRESSURE AT ALL. THEY ALSO RAISED MY CREDIT LIMIT TWICE IN JUST UNDER 3 YEARS HAVING BEGUN WITH A HIGHER LIMIT THAN EXPECTED AS I WAS REBUILDING AFTER A BANKRUPTCY. FROM THERE I WAS OFFERED SEVERAL MORE CREDIT CARDS AS WELL AS LOANS.

DocSue1 Hollywood, FL

Capital One has an efficient application process which can be completed online with quick turn around time in terms of application to confirmation. The additional benefit comes from the Rewards system which gives you actual cash-back on purchases. When added as an extension, it will immediately scan your cart for available coupons, and this is surprisingly successful each time (even in cases where you have the best price, there will be cash back opportunities). The ease of setting up Autopay adds to the convenience. At no extra cost, their CreditWise option, with the Credit Simulator gives you a way to manage your own financial health, see what potential changes are based on your plans, and will alert you when there has been a change to your Credit Score.

Amani Patel York, PA

Capital One is by far one of the best credit card companies! I love how trustworthy and reliable they are. They also offer many opportunities for cash back and earning rewards (like Capital One rewards). The incentives make it worth it!

Megan Frump

I absolutely love my Capital One Credit card. I love the amount of points I earn, and I love that I can use them on so many things. I’ve already taken so many trips using my points. I really have nothing negative to say at all. Customer service is always been excellent, the use of the app is excellent. Honestly, I have not run into any cons yet for this credit card. I don’t usually carry a balance on it. I pay it off pretty regularly weekly or monthly so I don’t occur the APR.

Selena C. Kansas City, KS

For me, this was one of my best choices I’ve ever made. I needed to build my credit and they gave me a chance, which was awesome! I’ve had a credit card with them for about 6mths and I haven’t asked for an increase yet but I feel like even if I did, they would judge me correctly good or bad! So thank u for them on helping me and I would recommend them!

Hank Ricardo Winnipeg, MB

The secured Capital One Mastercard is a great way go to build your credit. I sent in $75 , and got a $2000 credit limit. I only use it once a month and emergencies only, or booking hotel rooms etc.

Bisi Oyewusi Minneapolis, MN

Capital, one has been so awesome with their policies and procedures. I see them as the best so far. However, they need to be more concerned about their customers and see if everything is okay with them before taking customers to court over default. Once more, kudos to Capital one.

Clar lau

Capital one travel reward card makes me to travel to the desired place. Capital one charges low rates on savings and I have been able to save money on capital one and achieved my goal of buying a car. And for the days I have used the capital one cards, I see no complain instead appreciations.

Sherry Asher Anaheim, CA

I love Capital One credit cards and they are the only ones I have anymore. They always help when there is a charge I didn't recognize and if it wasn't mine they would get me credited. They also let me know when I make a charge which makes me feel more secure when I use then.

Ilene Metrick

I have a capital one card and I love it. If I want to buy something it shows me if I can get it cheaper using my card and going on the capital one site. I like the fact that we can get cash back instead of getting a gc. They have a wonderful customer service. When I call they are very professional and helpful. They answer my questions no matter how many I have

Samantha Madero-Craven

Capital One impresses with its innovative approach to banking and credit. Their mobile app is user-friendly, making banking tasks like checking balances and making payments seamless. I appreciate their range of credit card options, offering competitive rewards and interest rates. Their customer service is generally responsive and helpful. For anyone seeking a modern, digital-first banking experience with solid credit card choices, Capital One is a strong contender.

Arooj Naeem Washington, DC

Capital One has been my trusted financial partner. The user-friendly app, transparent fee structure, and competitive interest rates align with my banking preferences. The credit card rewards program adds value, and Capital One's commitment to digital innovation enhances the overall banking experience. While branch availability is limited, the convenience of online services makes Capital One my go-to choice for banking needs.

Rebecca Tunnell Bolivar, MO

I love my Capital One card. It’s so convenient to use. I get cashback on everything I do and it’s a fun card to use.

SJ BURNEY Dayton, OH

Company is very easy to work with with fair terms and great customer service. We use capital one shopping and also have a vehicle loan with Capital One. LOVE THEM

Satoria MoonGoddess

Amazing service and rates. I also financed three cats with them. They even have convenient apps and one that tracks your credit acore called credit wise. I highly recommend their services.

Dawn Grover

This is a pretty typical credit card as well. We get some money back in points and we are pretty responsible with our credit cards so that's a nice feature to have. All of them have high interest rates if you ask me, but you know that when you sign up for them.. Customer Service is good.

Katheryn Orlando, FL

I love the savor card, you earn cash back when you spend and can use it towards your transactions. The interest rates are just too high but overall a nice credit card to help build credit.

Teandrea Rowell

Capital One has been very helpful in getting me on track with my credit. They offer a credit report and text me when I miss a payment. They even offer suggestions to help me stay on track. Thanks for thinking of the consumer.

Presly June Montgomery, AL

I just would like to say this is my favorite credit card ever it's has no limit on cash withdrawal this is the first time ever having a card with a no limit on cash withdrawal. Is Anyone out there are looking for a great dependable reliable credit card my opinion this is the one thanks capital one

Stanley Turner

Excellent credit provider. I refinanced my car through Capital One and saved hundreds of dollars and after paying off the car was offered a WalMart MasterCard credit card which has helped since inflation has hit. They offered a competitive interest rate and credit limit increases with my rising income. Excellent…

Chris B Los Angeles, CA

I have Capital One Credit Card and Savings Account. I love it that I receive a test every time my card is used. Makes me very comfortable knowing that I immediately will know if unauthorized users charged anything on my card. Also, they have a great interest rate on my Savings account with them.

mary martin Bossier City, LA

Love the Cash back rewards and the increase in credit limit in a short period of time due to excellent payment history etc. Also, the reward points are always able to be applied to your bill, which is always how I use my cash back rewards!!! Thanks so much, Capital One, for low interest rates, excellent credit building opportunities, and the power to purchase!!! I thoroughly enjoy the fact that I am able to have credit to use at not just Walmart (where the card was issued through) but anywhere that accepts this credit card! So, what are you waiting for? Get you a Capital One Card TODAY!

3 months ago Edited November 20, 2023

Joy Garcia Buffalo, NY

My very first credit card was with Capital One and I still have my card. Capital One has the best service especially customer service ever.

Joanna Aguirre San Diego, CA

Out of all the credit cards I have had , Capital One is by far the most understanding and will do thier best to work with you when you are having finacial issues

Sharon Las Vegas, NV

I have had an account with Capital One for many years and have experienced 5 star customer service on every call with the end results a positive interaction.

Linda Selzer Boston, MA

I know I was stupid and some of this is my fault, but Capital One really duped me and I am sure they are not the only credit card company that does this. I was offered a credit card quite a while ago with a nice large credit line and zero APR to begin with, I should’ve realized that was too good to be true. They said I would not be charged any interest for the first 15 months and I took that at its face value. I did not realize that once the 15 months were over the 15 months worth of interest, would then be charged to me in one lump sum . My minimum payment went from $140-$523 overnight. I think this is a common practice in the credit industry and so I wouldn’t say it is just capital one but I would say be careful whenever you get a new credit card .

Jennifer Vallejos Albuquerque, NM

They aren’t the best and not the worst I would say they are just another run of the mill credit card company. Pretty much only catering to the very rich and leaving us regular customers to well nothing just make sure that you pay on time because removing a something from your credit report is like herding cats. Oh they are quick as ever to get it on your report but getting them to remove it. Let’s just say don’t go there

Noraa Stoke Blacklick, OH

Pretty okay products, some of the cards for people with lower credit are terrible, but once you build up a little better credit score some of the products can be decent. I at least don't feel like they have ever treated me unfairly or hit me with any surprise fees. I think my biggest complaint would be the lack of availability of customer support.

Shellyjean Baltimore, MD

Love this company. I have 3 of their cards. I love the rewards, and that I have a choice of how to receive them. I can get actual cash back. I can see my credit score. I love their shopping rewards program, too.

Justin Dube Show Low, AZ

Pretty good cards. Expensive, but good cards. I have carried C-One cards in my wallet now for a decade or longer. I have never had any real problems. During covid I wasn't working steadily and they did ding me for that citing that I was late even though I was on the program they had to defer lates. Otherwise, solid cards that won't reduce your limits at a whim from my experience with them. I would recommend.

Cuban Queen Fort Lauderdale, FL

I never had any issues with capital one they have increased my credit line without me asking. I get my cash back rewards and anytime I call them the customer service is great. I have referred my adult children my mom, brother and colleagues and I will continue to refer this company as long as they continue to show me how much they appreciate me as a customer.

Tina Porter Montgomery, AL

I love my Capital One card. I use it for gas or emergencies. They give you the option to upload your checking account to your card for payments or you apply for their checking account and have payments from there. There is no annual fee. The only downfall is as soon as your balance changes it is instantly posted to your credit report. So, I deal with my credit score going down I use, and my credit score go up when I make my payments. Otherwise, it is a good card to have when you're trying to build your credit.

Tyrone Walton Atlanta, GA

I began a credit building journey with CapitolOne and it has been awesome and still continuing this day. They also offer great banking services along with credit cards that yield rebates. The customer service department is A1 answering and solving most request with one phone call if you a person that loves a real dialogue. Just about all can be accomplished on the website or mobile app. They will cover you and be watching for fraudulent activity on your account if they detect your routine is out of order. I Love this card

Gypsy Petz Edgemont, SD

Great rates and customer service! I have a bank account and a credit card and both are the best!

Dr. Àmanda Ducksworth Mableton, GA

I am a long time customer of Capital One. I have never been late on a payment. I was the victim of a moving scam where charges were made to my card. I reported the incident and solicited help from Capital One to deny the charges. Capital One failed to advocate for me, the customer. I wrote a letter to the president regarding the 3,187.00 charges. The charges were removed but reapplied a few months later. I am so disappointed with their lack of customer service.

Trevor McIntosh Patchogue, NY

Although I currently have good rates with this company, I am always cautious about how things work in the even things get financially challenging to handle.

Ganesh S

Happy that I got a Capital One UK credit card when traditional banks refused to provide one but Capital One gave a very small credit limit and refused to increase it even after a long time.

Andrea Luke (Andrea L) Montreal, QC

I love Capital One. I love that they are customer friendly. They offer different types of cards which gives their customers many options. I used their online coupons to save me money.

David Hall Salt Lake City, UT

Their website and app are both easy to use. I do pay a high interest rate though. I now have a high credit score and asked them to lower my rate. They said no. That kind of made me mad. But it's okay, I just don't use their card anymore.

Joseph Faenza Washington, DC

I have been using a capital one credit card for several years now and I have found that for well qualified borrowers they have very good interest rates. Their online app for making credit card payments is also very user friendly.

6 months ago Edited August 7, 2023

Courtney De La Paz

It’s great. Most trust credit card company I have aside from Amex.

James Galarza Hot Springs, AR

I saw many commercials over the years for Capital One. My wife ended up getting a Capital One card, and it was relatively easy. Since then, I got my own. Capital One has been easy to use, manage, and the web site is ultra user friendly!

Tana Tuggle Phoenix, AZ

I have had my Capital One Card for 2 years now and I have no complaints. My credit score was fair when I applied. I must say I was getting increases very quickly, my credit limit started at $500 and now I am at $4000. You can check your credit with CreditWise, also you can have cash back on a variety of companies.

Nidia Salichs Ballwin, MO

I absolutely love Capital one credit card. They really look out for there customers. I had a few transactions that they were not sure I made and they reached out to me just to make sure I had made them. I really appreciate that.

Chad

I have been with Capital One for over 10 years. They have always been very professional with me. I recommend this card to anyone looking for another card to fill their credit profile. They can send text alerts right to you, as soon as a purchase is made. Or attempted to be made.

India Williams

I have multiple accounts with capital one count seems to be a little bit more delinquent. I appreciate the customer service that work with me on getting my accounts up-to-date and then just allowing me to make partial payments is appreciative.

David Sunnyvale, CA

We are very loyal customers of Capital One. They have a most excellent fraud department, and we appreciate the diligence the company has over credit card security. Our cards have been comprised numerous times time over the past 10 years, and Capital One has always covered unauthorized purchases. Their customer service is stellar, and you can always talk to a live person any hour of the day. Plus, with our Venture card, we get double points which is a great benefit.