Founded in 1994 in Richmond, Virginia, Capital One offers a number of financial services, including credit cards, banking services, loans, and investments.

#2 American Express (Amex) chevron_right
#3 Discover chevron_right

The Good

• Rewards
  • APRs
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score
  • Fraud Safeguards

Rewards

Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders. For example, the company offers the Quicksilver card, which gives members every tenth Uber ride for free, and the Venture card, which gives members two miles per dollar on all purchases.

APRs

For some of its cards, Capital One offers introductory APRs of 0 percent for the first nine to twelve months.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently.

Free Credit Score

Capital One provides its customers with the ability to view and monitor their FICO score at no additional cost.

Fraud Safeguards

Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards, including putting its associates through security training, putting social security number protections in place, and providing secure electronic funds transfers.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers a few cards that charge an annual fee of $0. However, this rate might only apply to the first year of the card, after which customers can expect a climb in annual rates.

Late Payment Penalties

Capital One charges a fee for late payments, which can vary depending on the card.

The Bottom Line

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs, competitive APRs, and fraud safeguards. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place.

Devin Cutter

May 19th, 2020 Long Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been a Capital One cardholder since 2014 and quickly became a huge fan of their travel cards because you aren’t limited to using miles on a specific airline or service. Instead, you can redeem your points on any travel related purchase (rental cars, airfare, hotels, public transit, ride shares, etc.) for a credit to your account. I have always treated my credit cards as if they were debit cards, never spend more than I have, and pay in full every month. Learning that most of my bills accept credit card payments became a game changer for my traveling habits. I am able to purchase 2-4 roundtrip tickets every year depending on destination using my points alone. I started out with the Venture One card, which offers 1.25 miles per dollar on every purchase and has no annual fee. Now, I use the Venture card, which offers 2 miles per dollar, has a $95 annual fee, and a $100 credit for Global Entry or TSA pre-check fees. This easily pays for itself. The app is clean and easy to use, and the customer service is always prompt and professional. I have also signed up to receive texts every time a purchase is made, just for peace of mind. This is the #1 credit card I recommend to friends and family. My mom and brother now use Capital One exclusively and love it as much as I do.

B-dog

May 19th, 2020 San Antonio, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had Capital One credit cards for many years and they are great to work with. Their apps works fantastic and the few times I have had to contact customer service, they are always on point!

Chris M

May 11th, 2020 Duluth, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great company to use for credit cards. They have great customer service and assist with adjusting payments. One criticism is that it depends on the customer service person we talk to, because one month we attempted to change the monthly payment date to mid-month. They wouldn't let us, but a few months later we called again, and it was very simple for them to do. Very strange.

Mary

May 4th, 2020 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Capital One card because I knew if I have an issue they will take care of me. Depending on your credit you can get a very good interest rate to start that beats those cards that.love to start you off at 26.7%, plus they have many options with no yearly fee.

Scott D. Berndt

April 6th, 2020 Andover, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy to work with. They answer the phone. On line banking.

MattB

April 6th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Capital One Cards. I have several different ones for different rewards. They are accepted everywhere, I can choose which type of card I want and I recently called about my annual fee and they were so friendly and helpful.

Natalie Brown

April 6th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have capital one for students and it's amazing! They are very forgiving in regards to fees and it's a great credit card for starting up a credit score. The cashback is an incentive to use the card too. The app for the credit card is also very nice and user friendly!

Matthew Wadley

April 2nd, 2020 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love our credit card with them! We get a ton of points on everything we purchase. A for customer service! So friendly and helpful. It's easy to use your points, no restrictions, no excuses and its actually fun to use them. The interest rate is low, we pay it off each week so we never pay interest. I have told a couple of friends to switch over to Capital One. Never wait for a long time when I can in, which is a huge deal for me. I love their commercials too

J.D.Terry

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service. Takes chances with customers with less than perfect credit.

Ken Plasky

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have always worked with me with any issues I have had. Awesome customer service

John Gender

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent rewards program that actually works. Ousttanding service when I need to call them.

Carole Mackie

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good rewards and good service. Your rewards are easy to use and can now be used on Amazon.

Andre Cummings

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The company is very customer oriented but intrest is too high

david marcum sr

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

you can pay on time all the time and they will never give you a interest break.

Terry Kistner

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One is a awesome card they have give me increases customer service is great

charles motes

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ease of application and credit line increases i highly recommend this card

Mary Calloway

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had the business card for a long time, over 10 years but the interest rate has never declined even though I pay more than the min. This makes it difficult to pay the card off as I have had business decline for the past 5 years.

Robert Harper

Outstanding Great benefits. Best card ever. Highly recommended

Sherry Kempf

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Never a problem. Any question I had they helped and answered all questions

Billy Fuller

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Helpful and understanding Reporting to the credit bureau Ontario helping your credit score I've had a couple issues were I wouldn't able to make payment they were able to waive those issues for me very thankful for capital one

Jim Fannon

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

rebuilt my credit using this card. Started with a very low limit and now it has grown to more than I will ever use.

Brodrick Jones

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Outstanding I was approved and card sent right away . The customer service on the phone is great. You are helped very quick and the person on the phone knows there job. Thank you very much for helping me get back on track .

ben spears

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Charges a fee of $49.00 per year, refuses to waive the fee. I've been with capital one for many years. I decided to cancel due to the fee.

K

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They gave me credit when no one else would. They gave me the chance and opportunity to fix and re-establish my credit score

Doris Reed

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have always done me right. I like their service. Talking to an agent is sometimes very trying. Still a good card.

Leonard J Hinman Jr

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are Professional and friendly. also ansers my questions.

Skeeter

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They charge way to much even if your just a day late and they will not allow you to pay online.

Anna

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

very good customer service department always willing to help you out

Don Chambers

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent service, no annual fee, nice rebate, and no international exchange fees. What more do you need?

Laurel

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer Service when you call always sent to another country and information is not as secure over there annoying. And they make you repeat everything because they do no understand you

Edward & Mary Wilson

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Fantastic customer service on every level, from answering questions about possible fradulent activity, to suggesting products. EVERY interaction has been positive and every situation resolved to my satisfaction.

Andrew Flaugher

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Mr. flaugher to high of % on card and they will not come down and all ways on time for 40 monts

Teresa Wehunt

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent , great customer service, rewards for use. Love this card. Always trust my Capital One card

Rathan Kumar

March 13th, 2020 Trabuco Canyon, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Recently applied for a capital one card for international travel. Process was seamless and very easy. Plus benefits for travel insurance and renting cars is a must for travel.

Connie dutil

March 10th, 2020

I made a payment I got the confirmation number and they came back to get another payment I know I've got bad credit because of them they don't want to work with you

Jeff Schwart

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service when needed, they have your back, the card we use has 2% cash back and we like that very much.

Heather Asher

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They accepted me when I had no credit and needed to start credit.

James Quarles

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One is incredibly quick to intercept fraudulent charges and work with the cardholder to void the ttansaction. Moreover, the rewards program is generous and the interest rate charged for purchases, while seemingly high, is competitive. A very professional comsumer credit bank.credit

Joann Scott

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I was unable to pay my full minimum payments due, they worked out a payment plan for me to help me get back on track.

Chad

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I make a payment I have instant access. They do not just raise your limit to raise it and their ap is very user freindly.

Allison Minnick

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The comapny is amazing, they work with you and they are kind

Jo Anne

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had several charges many times that were not made by me. They resolved the issue.

CHARLES W. FROST

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

excellent professional, lenient, helpful, better loan rates

Darren Cardwell

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are extremely customer friendly as they take great care with customer service issues and all aspects of their user services.

Don Chambers

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Pro-active credit reporting, nice rebate, no international exchange fees, 2 factor authentication

Fabbian Lopes

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

excellent they always explain what I spend and how much was.

Janice Tezack

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They do not judge you and your credit score. They are very helpful and give you chances when other companies won't

Janice

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was a loyal customer and I made a purchase online and reported to capital one of my purchases and how I didn't want the online company to do any other purchases on my account I gave capital one my confirmation number that I was given from the merchant. I was afraid it would happen that's why I provide the information to stop any transactions.But they refused to listen to me I have no reason to lie but long story short I no longer do business with that card I was a loyal customer for over 25 Years and they chose not to believe me.And chose to take my business some where Else.

James Strassburg

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Even with moderate credit I got a card with reasonable interest rates

Jeffrey Allen

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

excellent customer service, easy to use app, great follw up with concerns