Synchrony Bank Logo

3.2

LAST UPDATED: August 10th, 2022

The main focus of Synchrony Financial is establishing financial relationships between select sellers and buyers. After studying businesses with private label credit cards, like Walmart and Amazon, Synchrony Financial has been able to perfect their services and offerings, working with businesses and retailers to provide customers with hassle-free credit cards.

Instead of using Synchrony Financial's cards to purchase big ticket items, they are used to finance small purchases and future purchases, based on customer's available credit. Synchrony finances those purchases through Synchrony Bank, insured through the FDIC which means that your money is protected and that it is a safe bank.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and Synchrony Bank reviews.

Capital One 360 Logo
1.3
BBVA Compass Logo
#4 BBVA Compass chevron_right
2.2

The Good

• Online Help
  • High Yield Savings Account
  • Certificates of Deposit (CDs)
  • Money Market Accounts

Online Help

Synchrony Financial has a very helpful website. There is relevant information on it for everyone they work with. For businesses, Synchrony offers services through their business center, through which merchants can approve new applicants or access established accounts. The business center is also where credit limit increases are processed and payment options are selected. Using data from consumer purchasing patterns, merchants can develop sales that attract their customers.

For customers with personal accounts, Synchrony has a tool that allows you to compare Synchrony's annual percentage yield (APY) rates compared to dozens of other U.S. based banks. You can look at how much interest your money would make in a high-yield savings account, a money market account, or a certificate of deposit (CD). This tool allows you to see which rate will be the best according to the number of months you plan to have your money in the account.

For any of Synchrony Bank's accounts, you can manage your money directly from the Synchrony mobile app.

High Yield Savings Account

The high yield savings account from Synchrony Bank offers an interest rate of 2.15 percent APY no matter the balance in your account. This is one of the best interest rates among online savings accounts.

There is no minimum balance and no minimum deposit to start your account, and consumers can access their cash online, by phone, or via ATM. However, this account does not allow checking (writing checks).

Certificates of Deposit (CDs)

Certificates of deposit (CDs) with Synchrony Bank require a $2,000 minimum deposit. CD terms range from 3-60 months, and a three month CD will earn a 0.75 percent APY - the longer the CD (the more months), the higher the APY. A 60 month CD will earn 2.80 percent APY. After the minimum deposit of $2,000, your interest rate does not increase based on your deposit amount.

Synchrony Bank's CD rates are competitive compared to other banks, and individual retirement account (IRA) CDs are also available, an offering that is not true of all online banks.

Money Market Accounts

A money market account with Synchrony will earn a 1.20 percent APY. This account has no minimum balance, no minimum opening deposit, and no monthly service fees. It provides greater access to and flexibility with your money than Synchrony's savings accounts. With this account, you can write checks and make cash withdrawals online, by phone, or via ATM.

A money market account is a mix between a checking account and a savings account, and is a great option for when you want to earn interest on your cash, but don't want to tie up all your money. A retirement account option, an IRA Money Market Account is also available. Due to federal regulations, you can only make six withdrawals or transfers per month from a money market account.

The Bad

• Issues with fraudulent activity
  • Inaccurate Statements
  • Customer service

Issues with Fraudulent Activity

Even though Synchrony Financial offers very attractive products to their customers, there is a pattern of reviews complaining about fraudulent activity.

Some customers report that they were overcharged interest in their credit card accounts. This usually happened to customers who were ending a purchase and had only one payment left to make. Upon making a payment or receiving a statement, they found that they were charged additional interest for the entire amount of the purchase or far more than what was owed.

Inaccurate Statements

Some customers have received inaccurate bank and credit card statements. This of course would result in an accusation that a customer owed more money than they actually did. One review stated that a phone call was received about a "missed payment". When the customer proved to them that he had made the payment, they sent him a letter in which they acknowledged the payment, but the ending balance on the letter did not show the deduction of that payment.

There have also been scenarios in which accounts were cancelled without permission or prior notice, especially when there had been a time period of inactivity. These accounts were not delinquent and the period of inactivity was not very long.

Synchrony Financial has many customer reviews that report poor customer service. Common complaints include incorrect addresses and phone numbers on accounts, inability or refusal to return phone calls on unresolved issues, locking customers out of their accounts, being put on hold for extensive periods of time, and no follow up after customer representative states there would be such, in order to reverse clerical errors.

If you pay off your account early, Synchrony Financial may not view this as being in good standing. Instead of receiving a statement to close out the account, several customers state that they were charged additional interest fees, late fees or amounts. The effected clients experienced adverse credit scores and reports. This terrible customer service makes online banking with Synchrony very difficult.

The Bottom Line

If you choose to work with Synchrony Bank, you can expect reliable online and mobile banking and great interest rates. Synchrony Bank has great interest rates on several of its accounts and multiple ways to withdraw money and contact customer service. However, it has a reputation for overcharging. Customers complain about having to deal with fraud charges. Ironically enough, Synchrony Bank customers who decide to pay their accounts of early might want to retain a lawyer, because instead of maintaining a good credit score, they in fact may be penalized with late fees and a hit to their credit score.

Synchrony Financial looks good on the surface, but is lacking in the areas where it really counts. Customer service is not reliable and many customers have reported difficulties getting in contact with and working with Synchrony's customer service representatives. For more information, see our Synchrony Bank reviews below.

1.1

john c williams Terrell, TX

I made a 10 cent error when I sent in my July payment of $342.46, mailed on 7-6-22. I always pay the balance amount on time, except this payment was 10 cents short which was my fault. Their interest charge was $2.46 but based on an interest of $135.17. I don't know where they got that figure from. When I first called them, the service rep checked with someone else who said that they couldn't do anything about if. I mailed my check for the full amount with my cut in half credit card. Today I received a letter wanting to know my email address. I called to see if they had received my payment yet. The rep said that they haven't and that it could take 6-8 days to be posted. . When I asked again how they can charge $2.46 on 10cents. And later after again looking at the bill, it shows that the &2.46 was based a balance of 135.17 at 21.40 interest. When I questioned the rep on how they could charge me interest on an amount that they had already received and which was paid on time as it was part of the $342.46 mailed for the July 6,2022 payment, she hung up on me. Well Synchrony Bank, after I mailed your payment, I applied for a Wells Fargo card. They almost immediately approved my credit since I have an over 800 credit score and they gave me a $23,000 line of credit and they give 2% cash back on all purchases. So when you get my cut up card, you know where you can put it!

Becki Honeyman Denver, CO

I received an offer in the mail from Verizon about a new credit card offer that was advertised as 12 months interest free. Thinking that I had 12 months to pay for large items I purchased a couple of expensive items. Today I called to find out when this promotional period would end and to my surprise I found out that this card is not interest free on all purchases but only for items I purchase from Verizon. To say the least I was very angry when I found this out because now I have to figure out how to pay for these items without incurring interest. It's a total scam they are running so BE WARE THEY ARE A TOTALLY DECEPTIVE COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVEN NOW LEAVING THIS REVIEW THEY HAVE DEFAULTED THE RATING TO AMAZING WHEN THAT IS AN OUT RIGHT LIE. I WILL NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY AGAIN AND I WOULD DISCOURAGE ANYONE WHO READS THIS REVIEW TO THINK TWICE ABOUT USING THEM.

Mae Glenn

I recieved the card for gas purchases. After 30 days they raised my limit, after 69 days the cancelled my card and when I called to ask why, she stated my credit score went down. My credit score went down 5 points for using the card. Hahaha. She then stated I can reapply after my score goes back up. No way!! I will never use them again. My payments were always on time! I highly advise not to use them!!

Marie Bourn

I had an account to help pay for medical bills and I used it one. Wasn't much just enough to see how things would go if I had to use a large lump sum. That part went well and they didn't cut it off for nonuse after several months. Well, fast forward almost a year I thought about checking the account. Not sure why something just told me to. Someone had got ahold of my card or my account information and spent 9over $900. In hinds county MS, it's a misdemeanor for credit card fraud if under I think $950. I reported the card stolen to them, got a police report. Well, the good thing was they didn't make me pay that $900. But they closed my account quick after I paid off my balance and once I had taken the freeze off my credit reports like 3 months later. I called and sent emails trying to find out information about what had happened. I thought victims were not kept out of cases like this. But they would not let me know anything. I even tried to tell them who did it who came into my house and stole my card. Nope they weren't listening to a word I had to say. Well, not long after that my then boyfriend had his card information taken. They got his information and they got really happy on spending but what got the card shut off after almost $10,000 in one night was someone was trying to go into a website like my life or something like that to get more information on him to open more accounts. After using the same card to look up his info then the card was cut off. Not the amount of spending. First place they went was Kentucky fried chicken and Popeyes. In MS. He was a long time card user and they were so polite and sweet and helpful only difference was I was the one who was talking to the bank since he didn't want to deal with all that. They didn't know. They always say to call and confirm with card companies but how do they know what you actually sound like. I learned also if someone calls you that you don't know and ask you by your name or full name don't answer with yes because they might be scammers that recorded your name and your answer yes which they can turn around and open credit cards in your number with just that recording. Anyways. They didn't make him get a police report or sign any papers like I had to. They even told him who was responsibke for the fraud charges. Turned out to be people getting his old mail at his old address he had years ago. They wouldn't even listen when I tried to tell them who took mine but they sure helped him.

gski Oneida, NY

Long time account holders on different accounts synchrony decides to close. Doesn't matter if you always paid on time, always more that the minimum, Customer no service. Offshore, horrible is the nicest way to describe them. Clueless is the best way. I can't tell you the number of times I've had to ask for a supervisor and then was disconnected because the rep wouldn't know how to apply a payment. You get what you pay for. Their automated billing system which says they can take your payment is fraudulent. If your account is closed, by them, you cannot make an automated payment. They should be shutdown for their "fraudulent" practices.

Beverly Chavous Evans, GA

I was a loyal customer of synchrony for years with several credit cards until I made one honest mistake of deciding to start online paying of my Lowe's card. I had my card years never abused my spending and always made payments on time no matter what. If i made a purchase I would pay it off on time or even before the month was out sometime! I decided to start making my payments online doing so I accidentally left out a single digit in my checking account number and didn't realize it and then made a payment and it caused a non-sufficient payment on my account. When I was notified by mail I called Synchrony and went over my account to find out why after years why did they decide to close my account. I spoke it over with the representative and they explained to me that was the reason.. I found it to be very hurtful because I pay my bills as I should and on time. I'm writing this review so that synchrony bank can see that the issue with my account was an honest mistake and not on purpose and for other people to know please be careful when setting up information online to double check before submitting a payment because you will be in the situation I am. No one is perfect and I hope synchrony will understand that my mistake was an honest one! I still have a balance on the card and plan to make the payments on time as I always have. Sincerely, Beverly Chavous

Fellas Co. Columbus, OH

Watch yourself dealing with Synchrony or should i say credit score with no letter or respondence from them they lowered credit card limit because i haven't use it within a period of time that was good to them which resulted in a 26 point drop on my credit score. No Call , No Letter saying please use within a time period. then when i call them all Crystal had to say was " Oh I'm Sorry "...

Ryan Christopher Houston, TX

If I could give zero Stars I would. This is by far the worst bank or credit agency I've ever had to use. I paid off a 6 month interest free loan in 25 days and they put a hold on my account. When I called I got absolutely no help, and they gave me nothing but a runaround. I was wanting to make another substantial purchase, but because of their ignorance and complete lack of knowledge of everything I will never in my life use this company again, and I recommend everybody to do the same. The only reason you should use this company is if you want nothing but problems in trouble. Even when speaking to a supervisor their customer service is an absolute joke.

Karl Lewis Atlanta, GA

I HAVE HAD A AMAZON ACOUNT SINCE THE BEGINING AND A SYNCRONY CARD ACCOUNT THAT GOES WITH IT, I HAVE NEVER BEEN LATE OR MISSED A PAYMENT- BUT IN FEBRUARY OF 2022 SUNTRUST AND BBT MERGED AND THE NEW BANK TRUIST HAD SOME INTERNAL ISSUES AND 2 PAYMENTS MADE TO SYNCRONY ON THE SAME DAY DIDNT CONNECT CORRECTLY AND SYNCRONY IMEADIATLY CLOSED MY ACCOUNT AND KEPT THE 3300.00 IN REWARDS THAT I ACCUMULATED OVER THE YEARS- AND NOW WITH THE TRUIST BANK ADVISING THEM THAT IT WAS TRUIST FAULT, THEY STILL WONT REOPEN OR RETURN THE 3300.00. 8 PHONE CALLS AND 5 MONTHS LATER STILL WONT MAKE IT RIGHT EVEN AFTER STATING ON THE PHONE THAT THEY WILL. THEY ARE OUT RIGHT THIEVES AND STOLE THE 3300.00 I GUESS AMAZON'S DAYS ARE OVER, AND HELLO WALMART ONLINE.......

Kimberly Henninger Pompano Beach, FL

Terrible business practice. I have 2, or I guess I should say HAD 2 accounts with them. Both in good standing. 1 was paid off a few months ago. I get a letter in my email stating they have closed my account due to my credit being bad. Say what now? My credit is actually BETTER than it was when I got both of their accounts some time ago. So there goes an available credit decrease on my credit report because although I am a good customer of THEIRS (and everyone else as I have ZERO late payments on any of my open accounts) they do not care and they decide to close my account with no communication or warning first. Ridiculous! I will be closing the other account I have through Synchrony ASAP and will use my Capital One or Chase Freedom when I need to charge something. I will never again open an account at any store, retailer, etc. that uses Synchrony. After reading all of these reviews, maybe these places will get the picture and stop using them to grant credit. Wish I had read all of these first!

JC Houston, TX

I unfortunately have to use a credit line from Synchrony Bank because I had to get my car fixed. I should have gone to Firestone Automotive instead but I followed the recommendation made by AAA which was to have my car serviced by Christian Automotive. Unfortunately , Christian Automotive only uses Synchrony Bank as their credit line for their customers , so I had to use Synchrony Car Credit to get my car fixed as I did not have the thousands of dollars in cash to pay for fixing my car. So I tried to pay my bills on time to avoid incurring unnecessary interest and to maintain a good credit score. So I signed up to Synchrony Credit website to make my payments. I did get an account set up. However , when I was putting in my bank information to make a payment , the website keeps giving an error message and kicking me out , which was frustrating. In the end , I had to make a payment through their phone line , BUT they charge $10 for that transaction ! If that is not PREDATORY and SCAMMING - I don't know what is ! This happens all the time ! I already raised this issue with the representative on the phone , asking her to inform someone in the organization to check their website and make to to fix the issue to make payments accessible ! The website is NEVER in working order and I believe that this is DELIBERATE on their part as missing out a payment incurs immediate interest and affects your credit score ! The $10 fee for using the phone to make payments BECAUSE their website is NOT working is also shady ! Synchrony Bank is nothing but a THIEVING , PREDATORY bank that preys on the customers and needs to be put out of business !

Richard Laporte Panama City, FL

They will not reimburse for a lost or stolen item! They do not post payments timely so they can't get additional interest! This bank is more corrupt than the Democratsbin Washington! I've never dealt with a more corrupt bank in my 68 years!

Daniel Smith Canton, GA

Absolutely evil credit card servicing company. They will slash your credit limit the mintue your credit score dips, whether temporary or not. This creating further damage to your credit score. Never experienced anything like this from another credit card. Steer clear of any card backed by this organization.

Jay Feingold West Orange, NJ

Synchrony Bank should not be allowed to refer to themselves as a trusted financial institution. They never return a phone call, make you submit multiple unnecessary forms, lose them and then require you to resubmit them. In trying to liquidate the assets of an estate, they are requiring me to open unnecessary accounts which i then need to close the next day. None of this can be done online because their system does not allow for online processing. A disgrace for an online bank. Horrible customer service. I would not consider banking with them in the future.

Lynn Washington, MO

I e been overcharged with my synchrony credit through PayPal , I made several payments over the phone with my credit card to them and they won’t apply it to the balance “ stating we don’t accept credit cards” well your employees accepted my credit card over the phone. They have charged me interest on 6- months promotional purchases that I paid off by the due date . Their wrecking my credit now because I’m refusing to pay them more when I don’t owe . I will never use this company again!

Paule Joubran Escondido, CA

This bank is a complete joke. You can give them your name, social, birthdate and they still can’t find anything out about your account. They’vee got an app That's worthless because for whatever reason, you can never log into it without first calling their sorry asses to Re-Set your password. They are the most pathetic banking firm to deal with. Never again, will I ever apply for credit if they have anything to do with the financing. . Adios ebay, Amazon and Lowe’s. Capital One is my first choice since they know how to get this done.

Eslyn Frazier Atlanta, GA

Worst bank ever....do not use this bank...my wife and I HAD 3 accounts 2 for gas and car repair and 1 for Ashley furniture. We NEVER missed or made a late payment and my Ashley account had a ZERO balance...but they closed it without even a warning..just an email after the fact...needless to say we decided to close our other cards....NEVER give them your business,they do not appreciate it.....I would give them 0 stars if I could

Melissa Bowman Dothan, AL

With my nightmare, I was not getting statements; not paper statements, not e-statements, not text messages when charges were being made on my account. First of all let me say that I VERY seldom ever used my JCPSynchrony Card. The last time I used it was in 2018 and my daughter was with me and accidentally kept the card. She had her own account. I was the SOLE user on the account. On the back of all my cards I write "see ID" and I write a letter that no one is to use my card except me with an identification. I am OCD about my credit. In 2021, it was 820. Fast forward 6/14/2022, I got a letter from a card that had a $0 balance. The company cancelled my card citing high credit balances on other cards (I always keep balances < 30%) and the fact that I no longer used their card. I checked my Credit Karma and found that JCPSynchrony had absolutely wreaked havoc on my credit! Not only had they allowed my daughter to make random charges on my account when she reached in her wallet and pulled my card instead of hers, but they were not alerting me or sending me statements. I had my account set on AutoPay for $75 for a small balance that was on the account in 2018. By June of 2022, the balance was at $4400 and my card was defaulting to minimum payment AutoPay, barely paying the interest monthly. They are not able to tell me where my statements are going but I really recommend "USPS Informed Delivery" to everyone. The United States Postal Services takes a picture of everything that is being delivered every day. Now no one can say they sent you something they didn't send. Synchrony is so dishonest! Here's the next crazy thing. When it was recommended to me by a representative to call Synchrony Corporate, they had NO record of my account. The rep told me that she was able to see all of my other accounts, but not JCP. When I called back to SynchronyJCP, I find out that they had my Social Security number transposed! She said that this could be the reason I am having so many problems with correspondences. Now, when I call back, I can not get through to Corporate! I feel like I am being punked!!!!

cabs_2022 Charlotte, NC

My ex husband ran up a $6000 debt on a joint Synchrony account. Many phone calls were made to Synchrony Bank and the legal department would not discuss a legal matter and told me to get a lawyer. I wanted to know what could be done to relieve me of this fraudulent debt from my ex-husband. I know for a fact I can be relieved of the debt from talking with credit relief agencies. But I want to do the work on my own and not have to pay another company to do what I can do on my own. It's a shame you have 5 accounts with Synchrony Bank, a perfect credit history with the bank, and they refuse to accommodate their consumer's needs when I have been the victim of a fraudulent transaction.

Jeff Burton Zion, IL

The bank has very good savings/CD rates but the customer service is horrible. You have to double check everything. I had a manager tell me I could close a CD and receive 7 days penalty to get a higher rate. They took a 365 day penalty of over $2,000 from my account without saying a word. If you have another financial institution with similar rates, use them.

Eric Moralez Houston, TX

Synchrony should be banned from giving lines of credit. They seem to be partnered with most of the big retailers, and that’s a problem. My wife and I have had accounts with them suddenly get reductions in credit limits to the lowest possible amount they can and recently we had one just out of nowhere get closed completely. All of our accounts have always been in good standing, with on time payments, and yet they don’t care because they punish their good customers. Every single time it’s the same BS excuse that they apologize and their system just randomly evaluates accounts. An account with them will only hurt your credit score in the long run, so stay away from them, if you can.

jan a dillman Saint Joseph, MO

I had a Synchrony Bank card and was a victim of fraud. Someone had purchased over $300.00 worth of items that I did not order. This occurred in December, 2021. I immediately called to report the fraud and it took forever to reach a human to report this to. They told me that they would resolve this problem within 30 days. During the last seven months, I have received a multitude of phone calls telling me to pay my bill. I have received statements and texts. I have been harassed for seven months by this awful company. I called again last week and was on the phone for over an hour. I repeated my story for the umpteenth time and still could not get anyone to help me. I am furious and know that this is not the end of this problem for me.

Tim Wiltse Kalamazoo, MI

I recently cancelled my Synchrony credit card due to their poor customer service. My Sam's Club annual membership was charged directly to this card unbeknownst to me. I did not receive a billing or an email notifying me of any amount owed by me. So I finally got a late notice with my $100 annual membership charge and a Synchrony's $31 late fee added. I stopped at the customer service counter at Sam's Club to tell them I was unpleased with Synchrony Bank and would like to cancel my Credit Card account. They told me I would have to call Synchrony Bank Customer Service. So I called them from Sam's Club and after listening to what seemed like 15 minutes of computer generated announcements and department selections I was informed that if I wanted to "TALK" to a real live person that there is an additional "$10.00 FEE!!!" . After paying my membership over the phone I cancelled my account with this "STINKING BANK!!". I hate to say it but I think Synchrony Bank is just a part of the Sam Walton, Walmart, Sam's Club multi-billion dollar conglomerate!

Darryl Redfield Redondo Beach, CA

It took me several years to catch on to Synchrony, because I used to carry just one Visa or M/C and my ATM card. But more recently I lost several relatives and a large chunk of change to my older sister, so it's been less spending and more working around here. Over the past year, in this household, one credit card was shut down because it was paid off. ??? Another refused to get involved in by-mail store return to a business that uses Synchrony and my niece lost three hundred dollars she couldn't afford. Worst recently? I had a Care Credit card for pet care only. I used the card and paid on it, over a period of months. I finally paid it off and held onto it because things haven't been great and one of my pets had cancer. After the pet had gone through four surgeries and recovered well, she suddenly got worse. I was alone with her in a carrier in the car in the middle of the night and no one would see her unless I showed money up front (not unusual since Covid began). She died yowling in the front seat because once I managed to get ahold of my regular vet, he let me know my Care Credit card was closed. I called, and sure enough, I paid off that d*mned Synchrony card, the bank shut it down. There are so many options to Synchrony! My family has gone through all of their accounts of every kind and we've closed everything related to Synchrony. If for some reason you're forced to go with Synchrony Bank for anything, make sure you have other accounts, in good standing, available at home and when you're out in public. Synchrony should be put out of business and if I were younger I'd get to work on it.

I dislike synchrony bank this much -- I created an account just to leave a review Atlanta, GA

I really enjoyed having a Paypal Line of Credit with 0% interest rate. Then one day, Synchrony Bank took over their credit lines with a "credit card". I don't mind credit cards, but that wasn't what I signed up for #1. #2 Synchrony sucks. Get a credit card with any other bank. Seriously. #3 I need to change my contact information but they won't let me. Lol. Riight? They couldn't just use the credit bureaus to keep my information up to date. They couldn't just periodically ask me if my contact information is still "accurate". Nope. So I have an issue because my phone number, address, and email are all outdated. So they can't update my information. Customer Service is useless. They are nice, but are helpless to help you (not because they don't want to, but because they have zero power to. Why bother even having the facade of customer service, Synchrony?) So I input my drivers license, and my address, and whatever other inane questions the system asked for -- then had to take a video. IT COULD NOT VALIDATE MY IDENTITY (eh hem, I'm the REAL ACTUAL HONEST TO GOD card holder) and they couldn't help. I did a balance transfer to get away from the horse crap, and just have that credit card on file instead of paypal credit.

Godis Jones Durham, NC

I had 2 account with Synchrony Bank, Rooms 2 Go furniture and Lowes Home improvement. I'll speak of the R2G account first; I received their credit card through Synchrony Bank. After I purchased my furniture there was a 700.00 discrepancy with my credit balance, I called the bank without any help they advised me to contact R2G, I never got any answers from anyone but somehow the money reappeared in my account. Then about 6 months later I received a letter from Synchrony stating my credit score was 598 therefore they were reducing my credit limit. I filed a dispute to no avail, the 6 months after that I received the same exact letter! I called the bank to dispute and to tell them they are lying because I keep record of my credit and it has never been in the 500s. I closed the account and filed a complaint with my state Attorney General office. My Lowes account was closed due to missed payments, but I have all of my bills on automatic payments and my credit history show 0 late payments. I called to dispute again to no avail. Sychrony is the absolute worst. I will NEVER do business with this company again. A bunch of crooks!!

BLM Proud Hanover, PA

I linked an external account to my synchrony bank online account and verified all trial deposits. The link account was marked as open. According to the system there was no more to be done. When I tried to transfer money out of synchrony because of prior service problems I’ve experienced synchrony bank the bank proceeded to flag my account is restricted. I called the bank to ask why they couldn’t tell me a reason. I explained that I’m the owner of the account and I would like my money please and they said they have to unlock the account which takes four days and then to cut me a check will take another 10 days. They made a disclaimer that other complications could arise delaying the process even longer. Synchronies procedures from the way you have to close immature CD all the way to transferring money to an external account that has been verified are atrocious. Nothing is easy you have to make call after call to the service center and each call is an hour approximate. Terrible banking institution to work with I am very happy to be done with those folks.

Elvira Pasmanik Owings Mills, MD

Two years ago I was doing a home project through Lowe's, and was talked to getting CC through Lowe's. They told me that for 2 years you do not pay any interest, if you do not pay the card within 2 years the interest will start. Recently I started to get calls (every few hours) from Asia that I thought were a fraud. They told me that I had to pay the double amount from what I had on CC. When I opened the statement I saw that I had to pay my card in full by a certain day or they will charge you 27% for each year. It was 1 month after that day. They made me pay the whole (doubled) amount. My question is why could not they hire the same Company to call people every 4 hours reminding them to pay the whole amount or the amount would double. Please do not take CC from them or deal with that bank. I feel that I was robbed.

Deborah Laubert O'Fallon, MO

Getting help here is next to impossible. Dwight was very disrespectful and downgrading in his dealing with me. I had spoken to two managers a week ago and two today - each said something different and I had been promised a call back which I did not get. They are holding a check to pay off an account - not close it - but pay it off and the check is from a nationally recognized credit union - not a personal check. They are acting like I am a criminal and are very demeaning. I was not polite - as I had to speak over them to get them to even listen to me or to explain anything. Because I had not paid such a large amount before - I was flagged. Because I wanted to pay off charges that were coming and so put into the payoff amount - I was flagged. Meanwhile - my account looks like it is past due - and they don't care. QVC is the account I am trying to pay off. They will not release the funds from this credit union for 10 days - what a bunch of !!!. I UNDERSTAND WHY THE POOR REVIEWS. They do not deserve one star - and they need someone to teach them respect and a better grip on their rules and regulations. I am past furious - they hoped I was recording them as they said they were recording me - Great - Let's play it back. When all is said and done - it is a shame that they can not recognize a reputable financial institution and provide customer service. It is also a shame that they come off - with a demeaning "that's too bad or I'm so sorry" statement. I have never had such a miserable conversation with no result before this. If the managers above the guys I dealt with - do not see the problem here with how they handle things - then it becomes clear - that they don't care and that it comes from them.

Wilbanks Teresa Tupelo, MS

My parents who are elderly were charged with ONLINE purchase of a welder for $661.25. We filed a fraud report 4-4-22 one week after my mother died and we got the statement. After your incompetent investigator finished he decided my dad who is a user on her card bought the welder. My dad has no use for a welder, has multiple medical problems making it difficult to use one, and has no idea how to purchase anything online. I asked the person I spoke with at synchrony fraud investigations today about where the welder was sent and what is the ip address it was ordered from, 2 questions that any competent person would look for. They had no answer just that it would go to collection agency against my deceased mothers estate. Well I cant think of one positive thing to say about synchrony or lowes and I will be letting lowes know that I will looking for a different place to purchase from.

Davra Clayton Albuquerque, NM

I took out the CareCredit / Synchrony Bank card to pay for expensive dental work and have also used it for veterinary services. I like the way the Promotional Payments can be deferred without interest which has been helpful being on a fixed income. Now the frustrating.... I had three Promotional Purchases coming due in the first 3 months of this year. I made 2 calls to Synchrony Bank (being on hold for minutes and minutes each time) to confirm the amounts of each Promotional Purchase coming due and the exact pay-off amount each. I took money from my 401-K to pay out ALL of the promotional purchases coming due, and made a lump sum payment for over $2K in a phone conversation where I specified the amount for each pay-off. Each was paid in full with no interest! It was confirmed by the representative I spoke with. Or so I thought! The next month when I went on-line to check my account, several of the Promotional Purchases showed balances, so I immediately called SB. After a LONG hold, I got a girl who was really hard to hear and who didn't seem to know what I was talking about. After going over it with her for several minutes with no understanding, I asked for her supervisor and went over it AGAIN. After another LONG wait the manager came back and agreed that the money I paid had not been allocated correctly and interest had been wrongly charged to my account. She insisted it was straightened out, apologized and informed me it could take 1 - 2 billing cycles for the corrected amount to show up. Really? Shouldn't a correction be made immediately? Fast forward to the following month - upon checking the on-line account, my balance for one of the Promotional Purchases had been moved to inactive, BUT instead of being paid off, it showed over $300 still due. So another phone call to CUSTOMER SERVICE? - another LONG wait, another lady with a timid voice who said it was the interest due for the remaining balance. She proceeded to explain how much the interest was, and I kept saying it was paid off several months prior to the due date - there was no remaining balance. Finally she said she would have to speak to her manager - WAIT, she came back, said WAIT while she got the answer...WAIT. I asked if I could just talk to the manager myself. She ignored that and said WAIT. Finally she came back and said that he "was able to remove the accrued interest" (which I said never should have been there in the first place). She again said her manager was able to fix it. I got her name, his name and a confirmation that it would be corrected within 48 hours. While I was on hold - again and again, I went to the best company website to see if anyone else had issues - thank goodness, it isn't just me!! I thought maybe I was jinxed. My husband keeps saying "get rid of that card, they are incompetent" but I keep holding out because we just don't have the money up front to pay for dental work or vet bills. I keep expecting better accounting and customer service. But, I'm about done with the time and frustration. I feel like I have to check every month to see if it's been corrected and worry about their next mishandling of the account.

Vicki G Franklin, IN

Looks like the negative reviews didn't read the info on their credit card statement re: interest charged during a free interest period! I've used Snchrony Bank many times for interest free products and had no issues. Recently opened a CD and Andy was pleasant to work with.

Austin Placentia, CA

Three weeks ago, opened Synchrony on line savings account and transferred $5000 into it from my Chase banking account. Several days late. Synchrony cancelled the account and will not return my $5000. Synchrony has stolen $5000 from me.

Will Itig Johnson City, TN

Over charged 67+$ interest a year ago. Just sent reimbursement. This month after paying 150 on due date of 3rd. They withdrew 50$ at 1:02 am. on 22nd same month with only 24 due to bill and are sending refund. This caused me overdraft charge from main bank.

Brandan Tarr Oakmont, PA

Worst bank on the planet nothing can ever be done without waiting 3-5 buisness days. Please if you are thinking of doing buisness with them go elsewhere. Everyone I'd rude especially the supervisor it's crazy that they are even still in buisness. If I could give 0 stars I would

Kacie Boeshore Pittsburgh, PA

Wish I could give 0 stars. This company closed my account even though I had never missed a payment and was completely up to date. Stating my credit changed so they could. They punish you for paying on time and make you feel small. I am trying to save everyone the hassle of a ding on their credit due to this company's "policies". Horrible company...

Lardija Sisic Fort Worth, TX

they suck i called and i think i called India so no one is English and they have spoken to Jack i think and he has no idea what he is talking about he talks fast and incorrect so i can't understand him worst company ever to call and they are for Walmart credit card and all mange retail store credit carts my English is not that great but this was the worst experience i ever had

fabian C Los Angeles, CA

Synchrony is by far my worst experience among all banking institutions I've used. At all levels: rates, service, usability of their app, ultra long delay between payments and the time they actually get withdrawn. transparency of the fine print rules. Almost everything they do, is less good, or less fast than other banks. I wish Amazon (and Google) would partner with someone else.

FINNY PATHICKAL Ocala, FL

I was using this bank for last six years . I have learned my lesson . Most of my earning goes to their intrest . Even some account which i never start with synchrony end up they buy and same issues as before . Unusual late payment charge even u make payment on time . Variable interest rate means slaming on credit line and credit score on one account and changing higher intrest rate on most of the account . So next month i will be completely synchrony bank fraud free . Never this bank in my life .

Deborah Dawicki Solvang, CA

I was trying to verify my identity for a CC (Harbor Freight) and the process was terrible. They needed a video of me which I wasn't prepared for. Then they wanted to take a picture of my license with my IPAD camera front and back and the process did not work. I tried to pre-qualify. It sent a link to my mobile phone and it came up verified but the website didn't detect that. This whole process was ridiculous. I have existing credit with synchrony bank and never had to go through all this.

chuck dill West Dundee, IL

I was approved for a credit card 2 weeks ago. They information they supplied said that if I didn't receive it in 10 business days I should call. I have yet to receive the card. I tried calling today. I called a number I found a number on their website for credit cards. After some questions from a synchrony computer it said I had the wrong number and I should call the number on the back of the card. Back to the internet. Found another number. Same description. Call this number for questions about your credit card. This happened 4 different times with 4 different numbers. I was never able to talk to a person. Always disconnected after being told that I had the wrong number. On the last number I called and screaming "agent" about 50 times, I got a person who said she would transfer me. Got another computer that said I didn't have a balance, they hadn't sent a card, call back in 10 days and, by the way, you will receive your statement in 2 weeks. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED and that is saying something Don't corporations know how mad it makes customers when they will do almost anything to keep you from talking to a person? I'm still not sure about the status of my credit card.

Dillon Duncan Pittsburgh, PA

I was partway through an application over the phone with a live agent on the phone. I was asked if it was okay to run my credit, to which I answered that I would like to place my application on hold until I consulted with my home loan officer. I specifically asked to place my application on hold until I called back to continue the process for the Synchrony Health Services Credit Account. An hour later I receive an email notification that they made a hard inquiry on my credit. Safe to say I will not be using Synchrony in the future and I would caution anyone against using Synchrony unless you like dealing with a shady company.

Beth Stone Fountain Valley, CA

Horrible, dishonest company. Do not have anything financed through this sham. I had my house painted through Platinum Home Remodeling and this was the company that they financed through. I paid monthly payments until he time that I needed to pay off before interest would be charged. I paid in full and actually overpaid by $240+. When I tried to reach someone by phone; I could not get a working number. In the meantime I received another statement that I owed another $6,000+. I disputed that and I finally sent a letter for a refund. Next I received a letter that I owed $41.00 for interest. Called again (this time the call went through as they thought I owed money).finally, asked to speak with a manager and after a long conversation he agree to send me a refund. I cannot understand how this place is in business. Do not do business with Platinum Home Remodeling unless you finance elsewhere.

The United States of America Choctaw, OK

Completely screwed my credit over as I financed a glass break sensor through ADT for my house. Biggest mistake of my life. They never sent me any documentation and stated that my address was incorrect in their system. It was not, everything was correct. Because of this my account was charged off and took my credit from a very nice 780 all the way down to 570. When asked how to resolve this issue, the customer service reps were so unknowledgeable on how credit reports work that they were unable to help me other than give me company lines. I will NEVER EVER think about using this joke of a lender ever again and I highly encourage anyone thinking of doing so to reconsider their decision.

Luann Everden Monticello, MN

I do wish that I had read these reviews before I did business with this nightmare bank. They have brought my credit score down to poor after I had very good credit. This spring I had a fraudulent purchase on my Visa (Synchrony) card. It was caught and I was waiting on a new card. In the meantime, they kept cutting my credit limit on other cards with them down to just over the balance I owed. This of course, caused my major cards to lower my limit because it appears that I’m using all my credit. Whenever I do use one they take more credit away. How do they manage to operate being like that? Isn’t there laws? I did file a BBB complaint yesterday. I don’t know if that will resolve anything, but I’ll keep trying.

Chris C Chicago, IL

I am in the process of relocating from Maryland to Florida for work. I decided it will be easier to sell off some of the furniture I have and purchase new. I opened a Rooms-to-go account through Synchrony about two years ago. They gave me a credit limit of $4,500 and I purchased a couch for about $1,200 and paid it off in a few months. In addition, I also had a Synchrony Sport account through a bike shop with a limit of $4,300. This account has been open for about 5 years. I purchased two bikes with that account and paid them off within a few months. Lastly, I recently applied for a JC Penny card a couple of years ago. I've used the card a couple of times and paid it off. I have never had one late payment through this company. I have made a few significant purchases within the past couple of years, but my credit score has remained above 700. I called Synchrony a couple of days ago to ask for a credit increase for my Rooms-to-go account only to find that it had been closed out. Does this company not understand that closing an account affects people's credit?? The Customer Service Rep advised me that a 3rd party company pulls periodic credit profiles and she said my account was closed due to high balances on other accounts. She told me that they sent this information via email. Well I have never deleted an email from a creditor and I was not able to come up with anything. Over the course of the past two years, I have never used more than 20% of my available credit, so I am very confused as to why my account was closed without my consent. If my credit usage was a concern, I would have appreciated a phone call bringing up this concern and if changes needed to be made with the amount of available credit, allow me to decide what that looks like. I would have preferred to lower the balance or close the sport account and retain the rooms to go account. Obviously, this company could care less about it's customers and do not conduct business in a professional manner. I have been a great customer to they company over the past 5 years and never been late. I find it absolutely absurd that they decided to close one of my accounts without any notice. I have already closed my other accounts. I will take the hit on my credit and make up for it down the line. I will never do business with Synchrony again.

Coby Tucker Bozeman, MT

For months my Amazon account would always notify me an hour after a purchase that my payment was declined after selecting my synchrony card. I would log on to my synchrony account and saw no issues, nothing was red, nothing prompted me to update anything, there were zero notifications on my account. I called the bank. After a terrible grueling conversation with a computer where I was mostly yelling because it would just go on and on and on until I got a person after 6 minutes. The person was nice, she offered to send me to the Amazon branch and I accepted to the transfer. I heard the phone ring and then I could hear her press buttons and then her button pressing stopped. What I was left with was a person saying I won free medical alert tags and needed to accept my offer........w t f is that??? I feel scammed by this company. I called again and used the number to the Amazon division. After another 6 minutes with a computer person did it give me the option to speak to a person and it said there would be a survey after the call. This lady seemed to solve my issue very quickly. I asked as to why I have not once been notified and she moved away from that question and asked if she could do anything else. She hung up the call and there was no survey. Yall I am still pretty mad and agitated. I am going to close my account. Its just not worth the bull dookie phone scams and the incredibly long and annoying call format with the computers asking the same thing over and over again. This company needs some work and better needs to notify its customers regarding issues with their accounts.

Lauren Watkins Charlotte, NC

If I could give 1 star I would. I am only stuck with these bafoons because I applied for care credit, and it ended up being through them. Number one, the customer service professionals are the rudest nastiest most disrespectful smart mouthed people I have ever had to deal with. Incompetent is putting it nicely. Only talked two women there that I didn't have to curse out to be quite honest. I selected online to make the minimum payment for a total balance of 2,777 or something. It was like 272 or some odd number. Then all of a sudden come to find out they took the full balance from my account! When I called they insisted and wanted to argue back and forth about whether I did it or not, no I promise you I am a single broke mom. I'm very careful when I make payments online. I'm definitely not making a mistake like that and I remember exactly what I selected and even what it said when I was confirming my choice! They refuse to credit it back to your account and say they must send out a check. I have been waiting now for like a month for this check as they claim they had to investigate it or something yet they already put the full balance back on my account?!?! Not to mention, when I signed up and even my provider said its supposed to be payments deferred for like x amount of months, I think 12 or something. But they have been blowing my phone up 10 million times a day, all hours of the day and night leaving vm's, emails, texts, it's insane, right after the freaking surgery! I even called them and explained to them, look this was billed wrong this is actually going through insurance, can you chill with the calls while the claim is processed?! But no, it just never stops. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT find yourself entwined with this scam/crook of a company you will regret it greatly!

Jim Brown Odessa, FL

Have had CDs with Synchrony for many years. Recently I have wanted to close them out as I have needed the money for other purposes. After waiting on hold for 15-20 for an agent to request to close the account, it takes them over 4 business days and then I have to call back again to complain that the account is still open. It shouldn't take over 4 days just to close the account and I'm not even talking about the time it would then take them to transfer the money to me. It's happened twice in the last 30 days and you have to wait on hold at least 20 mins to get a representative. The reps sound like they are at home (crying child in background). Synchrony used to be a reliable decent bank.. not any more.

Amy Bruceton Mills, WV

I had a Care Credit card for emergencies and I used it for some dental work. I had interest free payments for 12 months, I paid it off and Synchrony closed it just days after paying it off thats been two or three years ago....I got accepted for a JcPenny card in 2019 not even realizing it was a Synchrony held account and I would use it on occasion and pay it off. I went to purchase a few pieces of clothing today and it's probably a good thing that I was ordering online and not standing in a store, the customer service lady was nice but when she told me that I no longer had an account that it had been closed by Synchrony on May 4th, 2022 I was livid never been late, never been over the limit and never had a problem. So I asked why did my account get closed she told me that I should have gotten a letter (I never received any letter) so she began reading to me what it said "lack of real estate info" "to many resolving credit cards with high balances" (um, I just paid several off and lowered most to not even a quarter of what my available credit is).....Well didn't think you had to own a house or anything to basically make you look like your credit sucks.. .. I will make sure I check what bank a card is carried by before I do anything cause I will not do business with Synchrony again