Synchrony Bank Logo

3.2

Gloria oppenheimer New York, NY

Horrible they close my account even though it was pay in full: without previous notice and refused to re-open though I have many other bank cards all in good standing: is a shame my favorite stores, Marshall’s, home goods and home sense, use this bank for their credit because I will not shop in any of their stores any longer: reason because I felt unfairly treated and they close my account right before the Christmas holidays when I always paid it in full..

Joseph Silvia Fall River, MA

This company has the most incompetent customer service staff I have ever experienced. They fat fingered my routing number which caused my auto payments to be rejected then tried to spin it on me and the bank I used to submit the payments. Amazon should partner with another bank that knows how to treat their customers. All that money and they are shortchanging their customers with poor customer service and incompetent staff.

Shawna Hall Grosse Pointe, MI

Synchrony Bank removed $4,500 from my account when the approved payment was for $150. When speaking with customer service, they were able to reverse the transaction, but the money they took without permission is going to take 3 weeks to return to me! Christmas is in two weeks, and the best they can do is give me back my money they stole from me in 3 weeks. Absolutely ridiculous!

Ash Clements

I have good credit 740-780 make over 200k a year. I had a 5k limit on the Amazon store card. Synchrony performed a random review of my credit and dropped my limit to $3830 without any notice and right before the holidays. Now my credit is going to take a hit because of this... Will never use this card and again and will close the account when I get another 5k card. Amazon this is the type of company you are partnered with. Shady AF!!!

Deborah Wynn Cleveland, OH

If there were a 0 star, I would choose it...you can NEVER do survey because the representative will not hang up until you hang up first. Never able to talk to a supervisor, representative will transfer you back to the beginning where you'll get another rep. Once your promotion is over the pay off balance is inaccurate...DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY...WORST EXPERIENCE EVER

Richard Bergman Southbridge, MA

Apparently a full scale panic with the economy has resumed as they seem to be eliminating credit lines and customers en masse The answer is the never let yourself be enslaved by these lowlifes Pay off all debts and go into a secure cash or credible credit company that will not without warning lower your limits or cut you off at will This is their problem and let them swing in the wind with it

Amanda Virmala Chesapeake, VA

They are recommended, but, when comes to billing it's not great all because don't give u Other options when login into Sam's club credit Should be options like: Banking information/or credit card information Cash advances Cash rewards Cash advances and rewards are different Like the fact does auto pay

Christina Lorain, OH

Synchrony bank cards made me have to consolidate and take a massive hit on my credit score. Great in a pinch but if you pay monthly payment online and get an email confirmation about your payment they do not draft it..... Charge you double payment and late fees the next month. Synchrony total screwed me!!! They need to be charged legally for their scams!!!!

Brad Bedsaul Baltimore, MD

Wish I could give zero stars. Opened several accounts with them kept my utilization under 30 % some 10% to 0 % . My payment history is 100% with synchrony and all cards they cut my limits to balances making all 100% taking over 200 points off my score. They said it was due to my credit report which nothing had changed since opened! Meanwhile I make payments each payment is followed by more available credit lines reduced? Pay card off=close account. Meanwhile other cards increase my limits. Only owe 2 cards with them never again worst bank ever!

Tina Palmer Lancaster, OH

Synchrony closed my JTV account because they said I had too many revolving accounts. I had the account for a year and had never missed a payment and never was late with my payment to them. They did not send me a letter or inform me in any kind of way that my account was closed. When I got online to make a payment is when I found out and the customer service was rude. I would not ever recommend them to anyone.

Bob Reed Greenville, SC

They are doing a bad job of managing their clients receivables. This bank has been the collector of three companies I have done business with. I'm now cancelling the use of these three companies for erroneous billing and collection practices. I have been a longtime customer paying mostly my accounts in full upon billing. If I use these companies again, I will pay cash at time of purchase. I can't imagine anyone paying their 24.7% interest charges.

Monica A Arlington, TX

Got this card with Sams Club with an approved amount then 7 months later they re ran my credit again why ??? I was after affected by covid from my job so the decided to reduce my credit limit by $500 . Without my permission to re run my credit and no notice in the mail After I pay them off I want ever get another card again from them. No late payments and I paid them on time so because I fell on hard times with my credit but made sure I paid you guys on time you take my credit away? That’s b/s

Hugh Kelleghan Geneva, IL

Customer service is horrible. The problem: Synchrony was showing the wrong phone number on my account. I placed 2 calls, both started with incredibly long wait times to talk to a rep. The first rep gave me wrong info, and failed to help. The second rep was a bit better, but also gave me wrong info (blamed it on TransUnion). I had to argue to talk to a manager. That finally happened after being put on hold multiple times. The manager finally fixed it: so it was lack of training at Synchrony that was the root cause. RUN from this organization, it's HORRIBLE.

Pat G Bossier City, LA

I have had several cards with Synchrony and always paid on time every time. Every time you buy something with a high cost and they issue you a card to cover that amount and you start paying it down they cut the limit voiding your open to buy numbers on your credit reports. It is a shame that any business does business with this third quality bank. Every time this has happened my credit score was the same or better than when the card was issued but by dropping the limits it damages your overall score. The score I would give Synchrony Bank on a scale of 100-700 is no better than 125!

Pamela Eilrich Port Clinton, OH

My complaint is their restricting my account for months and not telling me why!!! I have $377 in my checking account which I need for medical purchases and they refuse to lift it! Their back room people (who we are not allowed to talk to) have been reviewing it for months! If they need help I am fast and thorough! What happened to good customer service? I would like to give them zero stars!

Latiolais Houston, TX

Do Not open any accounts that use this bank !! They will screw you knowing we are all suffering thru this Pandemic!!! Hell American Express, Capital One have been great but this company closed accounts of mine I didnt even have a balance on that I have had for over 15 years and wasn't using because I have been frugal thru COVID!! SCREW YOU SYNCHRONY!!! I will destroy you the way you have destroyed me!!!

Maya Orlando, FL

When I called last month to close my account I was told to pay the balance due to close my account and the rep stated the account was now closed. When I looked online the account was still active. I proceeded to close it and the following month I came across the surprised that there was a fee added and a second fee applied to the late fee. This was after the consumed account and original interest was paid. Original amount consumed was about $56, last payment was $85, and the fees after account was closed are about $70. More than the original amount.

Bren Zen

This is the worst bank EVER! Do not use it! You get penalized for paying off your credit card with them. Even tho you payment is processed Synchrony holds your money for over a week and you can’t use your credit card! I’ve never heard of a bank holding your money and at your card is paid off but you are not allowed too use it up too 21 days! This is usery and they are a fraudulent institition! BEWARE! Also the supervisors are rude and uncooperative! Ama on you need too get rid of them and use a real bank!

C Ren Medford, MA

Tell Us About Your Problem Providing us with as much information as possible will make it easier for us to work to facilitate a resolution between you and the business I received a promotional mail from this bank to open a synchrony premier mastercard, spend $1000 for the first 90 days and receive $100 bonus. However, I spent over $1000 but no rewards after the 1st billing. I contacted this bank and mentioned the bonus $100, and they replied to wait for another billing cycle. I waited till the 2nd, nothing, and they said waited for another one. Now, the 3rd. When I contacted them, they said my account does not have this promotion offer. They are just lying. I would not had known this cheating bank if they had not mailed me the promotion offer. Now they refuse to give me the opening bonus. cheater

Ben Llewellyn Silver Spring, MD

I had an expensive procedure coming up for my sick cat, so I paid a large sum in advance. Kept checking the account to see when the payment went through. The funds had been removed from my checking account a couple of days before, but they hadn't been credited to the CareCredit card. I called to find out why, only to be told that they wait about a week before crediting big payments, because what if the bank that housed my checking account didn't honor it? When I told her that the money had already been deducted from checking, she said, "Well, WE have no way of knowing that!" Um. Wow. This is the 2020s. Transfers are instantaneous, and she either should know that (but was incompetent) or did know that (but was lying). She was a supervisor. This is unacceptable.

Shane Salrin

F'd by Google on this one. My daughter wanted the 5A only available on GStore. Came with what seemed as great financing from Synchrony. I couldn't log in to pay. Account wouldn't recognize me to sync account. First customer service rep had English issues and didn't seem computer literate. The second one was curt, but got me an account number. Tried to register the account on the app, tried to pull the account up with account number, wouldn't recognize it. Went to web site and had same issues. There is an option to make a payment into an account as an outsider if you know account number, last four ssn and birthdate. This worked. I would say this option is for parents paying on kids accounts, but I got it paid, I think. Because I can't log in and see account. So, one star because no "You Suck' option. A bank that I depends on the internet should do better from a net perspective, especially since live CS is so poor.

Drew Atlanta, GA

I have had a synchrony credit account for about 2 years. I never had a problem until recently. As with all my credit accounts I pay my balances in full every month early. There were several sales of movies online and I purchased many movies. The 1st problem I encountered was when I went to purchase a movie it said my card was declined. I contacted synchrony bank and after about 3 to 4 hours and repeated calls and being transferred several times, I finally got someone who verified my information and purchases and removed whatever hold they had placed on my account. 2 days later I was again purchasing movies online and again it said my card was declined. I contacted them again and this time immediately asked to speak with someone in the fraud department. I gave the person in the fraud department all of my personal information and verified all of my purchases. The agent said that I would need to take additional steps to restore my account. At this point I was directed to complete a procedure which involved taking a video of myself, taking a picture of myself, and taking a picture of the front and back of my driver's license. After doing all of this I was given a passcode. I read the passcode to the agent and he entered it and told me that it was not accepted. He had me repeat the passcode and he entered it again and again it was not accepted. Keep in mind that at this point I had verified all of my personal information and they didn't even have a picture of me or of my driver's license to compare with the pictures and video they had me submit. I was informed at this point that my card would be locked and that I would not be able to use my account for 7 to 10 days until I received a passcode in the mail and I would have to call with that passcode in order to restore my account. 3 days later I got an alert that said my credit score had dropped 16 points. I contacted the credit bureau and went through all of my information, I was on the phone for at least an hour and a 1/2. The person at the credit bureau examined my accounts noted that they were all paid on time and early in full and said that there was no visible reason why my credit score should have dropped. I have no doubt that the reason my score dropped 16 points is because of the problems I am experiencing with Synchrony bank. At the beginning of next week I will be looking into any legal action I can take against Synchrony for all of the problems they have caused. They have violated my privacy and required me to submit video and pictures of myself and pictures of the front and back of my driver's license, none of which they had anything to compare to. I gave them 1 Star because it is not possible to give them zero or negative stars. Stay away from Synchrony bank. I have had many credit accounts and have NEVER had problems like this or been violated in such a manner.

Charles Hammond Billerica, MA

Multiple customer service calls to request mailed paper statements. Always verified paper statement activated through conversation. next day get email confirmation thanking me for going paperless! Of course this is always my fault because they claim I change the designation online. I have never gone online to the Synchrony site without the guidance of a customer service rep. helping with the navigation. If I slip in an errant acceptance of paperless billing it is because Synchrony designs the site so the customer inadvertently must unknowingly makes the change . Heads up; the submit button for this entry says "AMAZING" not submit.

Tina George Springfield, MO

Don’t believe the free interest rate for 6 months after purchase. I guess I’m going to have to stop using my cc I just got from Synchrony Bank once I pay it off. I have only used it once I.was late on 1 payment paid the late fee and made a bigger payment to bring the balance down. Well I saw this $2.00 interest that was being added to my balance. Finally when I called about it the answer was even though you paid the late fee and made another payment they still charge interest of it being late. I told them that is not what your promotion says. It says no interest I told them I have been making bigger payments to makes it even and I still see additional $2.00 charge. After I caught them they refunded my money back. After that I have lost trust with them. Well guess what they did it again I was caught up no payment due. I guess I’m going to have to call them again and tell them to take it off. This is the same bank that I got Care Credit did the same exact thing. Had I read the reviews back then I would have complained told them take the $2 charge off. On my care credit card. And yes you get lots of constant phone calls if you don’t pay the bill on time. Whatever you do watch your bill like a hawk.

Carl Rockville, MD

After reading other reviews I have no intention of getting in touch with them to try fix the problem I have with them. Between Synchrony Bank and Sleep Number, I think they are running a bait and switch operation. Sleep Number uses as a sales tactic and convinces you to buy their bed with extend payments for the bed over a period of time with no interest. But what really happens is that Synchrony Bank doesn’t honor the equal payment over the 3 years, they withdraw the full amount of the purchase from your checking on the first billing cycle. What a scam. Sleep Number and Synchrony Bank have lost my business for ever and I will tell as many people as I can to not do business with either. If you do business with these companies you run the risk of being disappointed or even worse as other reviews have stated.

David Forman Chandler, AZ

I paid my PayPal account in full for 2627.00 on Aug 3 and the amount was debited from my bank. They only gave me credit for 800 dollars when I called they said they were holding my payment that was electronically transferred for 15 Days !! I have never heard of a check being held that long much less an EFT. On top of that I overpaid them 1000 dollars and they are now holding that EFT for 13 days what a ripoff. When i called about the overpayment they said they would send me a check for the overage after the EFT "cleared". This is a Bank to Bank transfer done electronically they are keeping this money to charge additional interest and fees. This is nothing but a clear RIPOFF. Their supervisors are surly and short this is supposed to be a financial services company they should be fined and have their license changed to Loan Shark. I found it funny that they can transfer payments electronically but they have to send me a check for an OVERPAYMENT - this is the height of FRAUD - as soon as i get my money back I closing my PayPal account - these guys are the worst bank i have ever dealt with in my 50 years of banking. DONT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM BUYER BEWARE!!!

Ernest Wilson Sarasota, FL

There s nothing to like about this bank. I already have an account with them through Sam's club but I never use their card, at least not intentionally My membership came up for renewal in Feb. this year which I always renew myself at Sam's club. I got a bill from Synchrony for $100.00 with no mention that they had renewed my membership, I knew I had not charged anything with them until I called and found out that they took it upon themselves to renew my card with Sam's club. I paid it and cancelled their card. My wife wanted to open a charge with Belk's store which I said ok I can do it online for you, it turns out the bank was Synchrony, as I completed the form they asked for a cell phone number so they could send me an app so that I could shoot a short video of myself holding up my ID! I called their online phone number to ask if this was for real and was assured it was, and if I didn't agree to do it I would not be approved for their credit card. I told my wife forget these jokers, I have other cards we can use. Terrible company.

Good Customer Logan, OH

I have a store account with Synchrony Bank. I was originally given a $2,000 credit limit. I paid my account on time and early. I paid my $2,000 balance off in full and the next month they decreased my credit limit by 60% for no reason! I called and complained and they stated that was their policy. Now, I just paid my store card in full again recently and they did the same thing! REDUCED IT BY 60% AGAIN! I called their so-called Customer Service and was told I never had a credit line decrease. I asked for a supposed supervisor and got the same answer. Only when I got angry and told her to go back to the beginning of my account opening (which she never did to begin with) did she say that my credit limit had been decreased but didn't know why. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE ON THE PLANET FOR PEOPLE WHO USE THEIR CARDS RESPONSIBLY! BOTTOM LINE: DO NOT OPEN A SYNCHRONY BANK OR STORE CARD BECAUSE THEY TREAT YOU LIKE CRAP AND PUNISH YOU FOR GOOD CREDIT PRACTICES! Go ANYWHERE but with them!!

Steph Stallard Fredericksburg, VA

Horrible customer service. I was in hold for 35 minutes, once a representative answered my call and I explained my problem she didn’t want to help resolve my issue and hung upon in me. I called back, was on hold another 35 minutes and that representative could not help me either. I was transferred to someone else and she quickly and harshly told me that there was nothing she could do to assist me and continued to speak over me not allowing me to fully explain my problem. This is horrible customer service! What happened to the customer being right? I didn’t even need to be right, I just wanted to create a work around for my issue.

daniel pollack Deerfield, IL

2 payments were missed because didn't receive statements or notices. resulting penalties were huge. waited 45 minutes twice before customer service rep answered. one rep in far east impossible to understand. rep I could understand could not give me a name or contact info to help. totally frustrated and outraged at the poor service and inability to make an appeal.

Michelle Powell Anderson, SC

Customer service can not be contacted evidently. I have tried for 5 days now to reach someone. Been on hold for more than an hour on each call to get no one! I tried to make a payment 1 day early after getting paid to see a “scheduled maintenance “ on their app. I tried multiple times to pay on the day that my payment was due and still was sent to an online site that took my debit card info, ssn info and still didn’t get to make my payment. Finally on Sunday (payment now 1 day late) and it excepted it! FINALLY!! BUT guess what…I’m now charged a $29 LATE fee that wasn’t my fault!!! WTH?? Someone explain to me WHY this would cause me a late fee?? I am currently on hold AGAIN and it’s not looking like I’m going to get someone live today either. This makes me SICK! I despise a business that doesn’t have the balls to answer a phone when they are responsible for a late payment. This is the second time I’ve had issues with it taking days to be able to make a payment. Not happy at all with this company.

Willa Shaffer Greenwood, MS

I despise the company, but at least this inspires me to try my hardest to pay off my cards backed by Synchrony. Paying online is a NIGHTMARE. I can log in successfully, but after going through the motions to pay online, the screen freezes after the "submit" button, time and again. This happens on every Synchrony-based website trying to pay my bills for Amazon store card, Q-card, TJX, and others. It happens month after month after month! Sometimes it works, most times it does not, at least not without several repeat visits and repeat tries. There is NO EXCUSE for this. One month I had a late fee for Amazon because by the time I finally had success, my payment was one day late. I've got to try to get my balances transferred and paid off, and then never again use these fraudulent, horrific websites.

Matt Aaron Greenville, SC

Made a purchase the end of 2020. From the very beginning I was charged over and incorrectly for my purchase. After multiple attempts to correct they again had a balance that was lower than it was supposed to be. Began the arduous task of getting this rectified. The whole time my balance fluctuated by hundreds of dollars every month as if the account was being used. The 4th and final time contacting them after waiting an hour and 10 min for acustomer service rep she was not able to answer my questions and disconnected the call. My Synchrony app says all my accounts are non serviceable and I can not get any help. For your sanity sake do not deal with this company for anything. This is not an isolated incident. I seen many reports of terrible accounting issues and awful to non-existent customer service. This company needs to be held accountable for the miss management of people's finances and potential credit scores that could be affected.

Beverley Butler Mansfield, TX

My husband and I applied for a Nissan Credit Card with Synchrony Bank. One thing they had the wrong address on file, and we were charged late charges on a card we hadn't received yet, neither had we ever made a charge on it. Next we were given a 4,000 credit limit;however, when we actually got our credit card, $3,147 was already charged on it and, we hadn't charged anything, leaving us a $700plus credit. I tried to see where the charge came from on my statement and to this very day, still don't have a clue. I'm still disputing the negative charge. Customer service is dragging their feet and hasn't given us any answers as where this $3,147 charge came from.

Amanda Erickson Soldotna, AK

It has been nightmares w/ Sync after attempting to make first payment they wouldn’t accept my card that I have to pay for my monthly statements so from my first monthly statement after multiple attempts of trying in every way shape and form and paying with other payment options they closed my account and I have been paying on an account by phone which every month not one representative remembers my billing information from month to month and what I am paying with. So my payments don’t get accepted then I get charged late fees. I go online to the Live chat to pay there “24/7” live representatives and no live representatives are available with prolonged wait periods just to have to repeat my same issues of why I can’t make a payment to the animated Chat person who then directs you to where you have to go. You get someone or somewhere and then booted off and have to start the process all over again just to make a simple payment. It is highly frustrating annoying their business sucks and the fact that they don’t offer other payment options was wrong. I had no way to make a payment so my account got closed after the first month.

lisa sferra Bridgewater, NJ

I have a care credit account with Synchrony for 10 plus years. I have NEVER been late on a payment. I use the card for veterinary purposes only. I currently am using it more frequently then usually due to older dogs. I made a payment of over $1,000 the money was debuted from my account but my available credit DID NOT reflect the payment. When I called they gave me a story that anything over $1,000 would not reflect in my account for 10 days. So they took my money but won't open my available credit for 10 days??? HORRIBLE!!!!When I spoke to a supervisor she said they have the right to hold any payment out of the ordinary for the 10 days. Simply said, they don't like customers who pay down the bill. They want the customer who"owes" or you get punished by them not opening up your credit line. The representative had an :I DON'T CARE ATTITUDE" & told me not to use the card then. Terrible customer service. Think twice before engaging with this bank!!!

D LS New Kensington, PA

I have multiple account with Synchrony Bank, one with a balance of $11,000 and the others with no balance and one with a balance of $2000 on a promotional zero percent deal. I have never made a late payment, have my credit increased on all cards and never had my credit limit lowered like the other comments I have read. I called Synchrony Bank and asked to have my interest rate on my Mastercard with the high balance lowered and they refused. My credit score is over 800 and my debt to income is at %27. I simply applied for a Citi Diamond Preferred card and transferred my balance. Synchrony Bank is not customer friendly, they do not care if they keep there customers and by the comments I read, they prey on the vulnerable. I am done with Synchrony as soon as my promotional balance is paid off.

Robyn Brady Kent, OH

We have several loans through Synchrony Bank. Windows at our rental and our new furnace and A/C at our new home. Super easy to set up payments and customer service always helpful and courteous.

Albert Detloff Tampa, FL

Made all of my payments on time; nevertheless, they changed my due date and charged fraudulent late fees to my account. I would give them a zero rating they are crooks and liars!

jimmy grant Richmond, KY

I paid an account in full and they want to charge me $194 for a bank transfer I never made.. I have called and emailed but not once a manager has spoken to me..I filed a complaint with the bbb anyway

Donald Graff Dundalk, MD

I pay my bill every month on time. But for the last four months. I pay and two days later I get a message the bill is past due. I call the bank they say the bill was not paid. You give them the ref number the app gives. They say that the ref number does not match record. Which is b.s. synchrony bank is another B.s. bank do illegal crap. Stay away.

Denys finch-hatton Los Angeles, CA

The first time I spoke with a person within the United State was today. They are the most horrible credit card company that I have ever had a card with. I am trying to drop a dispute on a charge that amazon p[laced illegally on this card. STAY AWAY FROM THEM! THEY ARE PREDATORS AND HAVE NEOPHYTES AND RUDE UNEDUCATED REPRESENTATIVES.

Courtney Burton Columbus, IN

I have NEVER missed a credit card payment, and they lowered the limit on three of my credit cards. Therefore affecting my credit score with lower spending limits. They claimed it was due to higher balances on my cards. Excuse the us all for Covid messing with our financial situations. Would never recommend them to anyone.

Brandye Rhoades Amarillo, TX

The worst company if you mail a money order to pay your payments they will hold it for 7 to 10 days before processing and you will receive a $39.99 late fee the worst Financing I will always be checking to see if any future financing will be done through them so I know not to do it

Austin Gust West Valley City, UT

Worst experience I have ever dealt with. They don't honor payment arrangements. They don't alert you when a dispute is up and your payments resume. They don't take notes of your calls and can't warm transfer so you get ping ponged around with zero help.

Wendy Eardley Merrimack, NH

This is the worst bank ever to use I paid off my balance paid in full and they did not give me credit for it who would think a bank could do that. Paid in full with a check and they seem to say I owe 1 months robbery dishonest Hustler's do not use this bank

Camellia Cox Henrico, VA

Synchrony closed my acct while I'm still paying for my merchandise and in good standing. Closing my acct lowers my credit score. Stay away from them, then will hurt your credit score even when your paying your payments on time

Matt Owens West Jordan, UT

Lowered credit line for no apparent reason. This was done less than two months after opening the account and for no justifiable reason. My credit is great, all accounts are current and no late payments ever... This is a very horrible and shady company that no one with options should ever do business with

Go Virtual Pro Cypress, TX

Tried to remove a hard inquiry from my credit and the worse automated phone system. Then I connect with the first individual, she "accidentally hangs up" the second one listens but brushes me off. Then when she says she will forward it up to her supervisor just continues on without listening to me and hangs up again! what gives?!?!

Raymond Anselmo Wake Forest, NC

Their credit card account stinks. Had 4 different cards with different companies with synchrony bank and always paid on time or ahead of time and not once late. They cancels 2 cards and reduced a third card to 250.00 credit. This company is the pits! Don't bother with them as they will make your credit score drop when they cancel their cards.