Life Alert Logo

Life Alert

6.2

LAST UPDATED: November 30th, 2023

Life Alert Emergency Response has been a pioneer of the medical alert system industry since its start in 1987. Popularized by its "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" ad campaign, the Life Alert system has become a household name; the brand is so synonymous with medical alert systems, that many know the medical alert industry simply as the Life Alert industry.

However, despite its well-known name, there are many concerns with its medical alert services. Common Life Alert complaints include scamming tactics, high prices and fees, poor customer service, and lengthy contracts (three years). We highly suggest doing your research and learning about other top-rated medical alert providers with positive reviews.

Below we have provided you with the Good, Bad, and Bottom Line about Life Alert in order to give you a quick breakdown of the facts to help you decide if Life Alert is the right medical alert system for you or your loved one.

The Good

• CSAA Five Diamond Certified
  • Free Shipping and Equipment Warranty
  • Life Alert Monitoring Center
  • Successful Services
  • Family Notifications
  • Multiple Emergency Services

CSAA Five Diamond Certified

Most medical alert companies should be CSAA five diamond certified if they want their monitoring center and services to be as safe and efficient as possible. The certification implies the company maintains a high-quality call center service.

It's not a requirement to obtain this certification in order to operate, so many medical alert providers aren't certified. It's comforting to know Life alert is certified and cares about taking those additional steps to ensure its medical alert services are exceeding standards.

Free Shipping and  Equipment Warranty

Life Alert offers free shipping and a free equipment warranty. However, the duration of the warranty is unclear, so you may need to pay for an equipment replacement after a certain period of time.

Life Alert Monitoring Center

Being one of the largest medical alert companies in the industry, Life Alert operates its services with its own monitoring center. A significant amount of medical alert companies will contract with a third-party monitoring center. Having the response center be under Life Alert's direct attention likely makes for a more hands-on approach, which could be comforting to medical alert users and their loved ones.

Successful Services

Since 2008, Life Alert's services have helped save more than 500,000 people. Having a successful medical alert service for so long and having the live-saving statistics to prove it is comforting to potential customers looking to put their safety in Life Alert's hands.

Family Notifications

At the push of a button, the customer's emergency contact, along with an emergency dispatch unit, will be immediately notified of the problem. Your selected contact can be anyone, whether that is a family member, a caregiver, or a trusted neighbor.

Multiple Emergency Services

Life Alert also offers services for a host of situations aside from an occasional medical emergency. These include fire protection, carbon monoxide gas protection, home intrusion, mobile tracking through GPS, and a cell phone app. These services aren't just for seniors, either.

The Bad

• Three-Year Contract
  • Expensive Service
  • No Automatic Fall Detection
  • Few Equipment Details
  • Negative Life Alert Reviews

Three-Year Contract

With a three-year contract, Life Alert locks customers into one of the longest contracts in the industry. Top competitors offer contracts that operate from month to month, which provides consumers the peace of mind of not having to buy out of a contract.

Having such a long contract in an industry that doesn't typically require them is concerning. The company's contract is also one of the most common Life Alert complaints among the majority of its customer reviews. Overall, consumers on our site are not happy with the long-term contract, and they find it difficult — and sometimes impossible — to get out of Life Alert's contract.

Expensive Service

Because Life Alert is so well established in the industry, the company does not frequently rely on or offer discounts on its products and services. Although the company lists that it offers free equipment, shipping, and a warranty on its website, the Life Alert cost is one of the more expensive on the market.

Many medical alert companies have a similar offering of free equipment, free shipping, and a free warranty, but they also include no long-term contracts, free activation, and affordable monthly monitoring (as little as $19.95 per month). Life Alert, on the other hand, requires a three-year contract, charges upwards of $70 per month, and calls for a hefty activation fee of nearly $100.

Many Life Alert reviews also note that the company increases its prices without notice and relies on locking customers into a long-term contract of three years. We suggest making sure a long-term contract isn't something that is a deal-breaker for you if you're interested in Life Alert's services.

No Automatic Fall Detection

Many medical alert systems in the industry today offer automatic fall detection. Automatic fall detection is a medical alert capability that will immediately notify the medical alert company's monitoring center if a pendant wearer experiences a fall, even if they cannot press the button themselves. It's a way to give users peace of mind that they do not have to do anything on their part if they experience a fall; as long as you have on the wearable device, the fall will trigger help and the medical alert company will take care of contacting emergency responders.

Life Alert does not currently offer any products with fall detection capability. This is definitely a con of Life Alert, especially since most medical alert companies offer fall detection features.

Few Equipment Details

The website offers next to no information on equipment details or company policies. In comparison to other companies that offer transparent details on multiple medical alert devices, this is concerning.

According to the company's website, a Life Alert medical alert device does include the typical base station and a help button that can be worn as a pendant or a wristband, a backup battery life of 72 hours, and a U.S.-based monitoring service. It's also noted you have your choice of landline or cellular service, but no additional details are listed regarding package or equipment details.

There is no information on other medical alert service features such as two-way communication or a GPS unit built in for tracking. The website says there is on-the-go protection if you push the button on a "special cell phone button" but it's unclear what that is and if it is just referring to the Life Alert app you can navigate from your own mobile device.

To find additional information, you need to request a brochure. You can't request the brochure online or have it emailed to you; you instead have to call the company, talk to a representative, and request that a brochure be sent to you in the mail. By the time you receive the brochure, you could've already heavily researched, ordered, and received a medical alert system from another company that is more transparent about its services and has a more up-to-date process.

Most medical alert companies are upfront about their equipment and offerings online, even allowing orders to be made directly online, so it is worrying that Life Alert is selective about what little information it does share on its website and it's impossible to order unless you call the company. Unfortunately, if you're looking for convenience, that doesn't seem to be Life Alert's strong suit.

Negative Life Alert Reviews

The majority of Life Alert reviews are overwhelmingly negative, many of them noting that the company locks you into a long-term contract (36-month contract) and then makes it extremely difficult (or refuses completely) to allow customers to cancel its medical alert services. Many customers also mention scamming tactics, including upping the prices without notice, having faulty equipment, and neglecting customer service quality.

One customer addresses Life Alert as a scam: "It is a scam. Once you sign up [Life alert] uses every tactic to frustrate your ability to end the service...They get you to sign up for one amount and then jack up your monthly fee unilaterally."

Another frustrated consumer says something similar: "[Life Alert] locks you into a contract and makes it nearly impossible to cancel...This is just a scam to try to ring as much money as possible out of elderly people on a fixed income."

With such negative feedback, we highly suggest going with an alternative medical alert provider with positive reviews and a trustworthy reputation.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

The Bottom Line

Life Alert Emergency Response is not the best system on the market. While Life Alert as a company has many positives such as the respected CSAA Five Diamond Certification, its high installation fee, hefty long-term contracts (three years), and average system features should encourage potential buyers to explore Life Alert alternatives.

Although Life Alert has a solid reputation for saving lives and has the statistics to back it up, there is quite a bit of missing information that would set the company apart from its competition. The company isn't transparent about its services on its website and is also behind the industry in regards to its equipment capabilities and overall offerings.

Life Alert's business model seems to be similar to what it was when it first began. As technology has advanced and other capabilities have surfaced with other medical alert companies, Life Alert seems to instead be keeping its medical alert services similar to what it's always been rather than trying to improve and expand its offerings. For example, other medical alert providers have things such as automatic fall detection, advanced equipment with medical reminder functionality, medical alert smartwatches, etc.

Although its services are clearly effective and get the job done, for how much the company charges, we wish the company would expand its business model to include better services for a cheaper price point, as its competitors have done.

Read Life Alert reviews below to see what customers have to say about Life Alert's medical alert systems and customer service. Unfortunately, the majority of Life Alert reviews are negative, and we suggest going with a more reputable medical alert company.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

not_listed_location

Life Alert Frequently Asked Questions

Are Life Alert's medical alert devices waterproof?

All Life Alert pendants and buttons are fully waterproof to ensure you can use them in the shower/bathtub or outdoor on a rainy day. Life Alert also developed an exclusive Shower/Help Button for better protection in the shower, bathtubs, bathrooms, and bedrooms. In addition, all pendants and buttons do not need to be ever charged, or plugged in, so you are safe with them in the shower.

When will I receive my Life Alert system?

Life Alert offers free UPS ground shipping. The shipping can be upgraded for a fee for a 2-day or overnight delivery at customer request.

How much does Life Alert’s equipment cost?

There is no need to buy the equipment. It is given for free for the duration of the service. In addition, the UPS ground shipping is also free of charge.

How often do I need to charge the pendants and On-the-Go devices?

Life Alert is the only company that offers pendants, buttons and on-the-go devices with GPS that never need charging. They last up to 10 years. That means you are truly protected 24/7.

Message from

Life Alert

For over 35 years, Life Alert’s lifesaving services have been trusted by hundreds of thousands of members and their families. We take saving lives seriously; that is why we design and manufacture cutting edge technology for all lifestyles and ages.

Whether you’re at home or on the go, Life Alert has a protection package just for you. Only with Life Alert, batteries never need charging so you are always protected. Life Alert owns and operates its own Monitoring Centers, all located in the U.S. so help can be summoned 24/7.

Life Alert is the only company that proves it saves a life from a catastrophe every 11 minutes. In addition, we are the only company that is proven to have its members live in their own homes five years longer than the general population.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

3.3

bookmark

Featured Review

Sunday Ordinson Los Angeles, CA

These people should get a medal of honor. They saved my Nana's life, and it was because they were so fast to get to the door. Her button got the ambulance there super fast... those precious seconds the doctor said if she would of been unable to get to hospital any slower, she would not of made it. She had a stroke... shes doing ok now but the thing is buying time with my nana is priceless... im just so thankful.

bookmark

Featured Review

perla Barrios Canyon Country, CA

I cannot emphasize enough how much Life Alert has helped me and my family. My mother is getting older and has mobility issues, so we were always concerned about her falling when she was home alone. We tried other medical alert systems, but they just didn't provide the level of reliability and peace of mind that Life Alert has.

Dorothy Taylor Los Angeles, CA

Life Alert's swift response saved my grandmother during a medical emergency. Their quick action and efficient communication with emergency services reassured our family, showcasing the invaluable protection their service provides.

Lacy Clearwater Gilbert, AZ

Life Alert became our guardian angel when my grandmother fell at home. She pressed her pendant, and help arrived swiftly. Life Alert's expertise in handling medical emergencies and their unwavering commitment to their users was evident. Thanks to them, my grandma received timely medical attention, preventing further complications. We can't express our gratitude enough for this lifesaving service.

Shannon Jaji Jakarta, JK

When my father suffered a sudden heart attack, Life Alert was his lifeline. He pressed the button, and within minutes, paramedics were at our door. Their quick response saved his life. Life Alert's expertise in handling medical emergencies and their commitment to providing immediate assistance made all the difference. Thanks to them, my dad made a full recovery, and we'll forever be grateful for their service.

Mario Marer Los Angeles, CA

My great aunt fell last spring and we were worried about her detiorating health. We got Life Alert for her to make sure if she fell again she would get the help she needed. She fell last week and their tools worked perfect. She got help immedietly and is fine because of them.

Susan James

Life Alert saved my mother's life. When she had a sudden fall, pressing the button alerted their team immediately. They dispatched help and kept me informed. The speed and efficiency with which they responded were astonishing. I'm forever grateful for their service.

Kaitlyn Cabler Los Angeles, CA

I'm happy my Grandparents have Life Alert's systems set up. Makes me feel much less uneasy. When I had a fall, their team did there thing and I was able to get help very quickly. Grateful that they were there looking over me.

Lenna Treuter Phoenix, AZ

Life Alert is a game-changer in the personal emergency response industry. Their comprehensive services, ethical practices, and their genuine concern for the safety of their users are unparalleled. They are a truly great company.

Alba Martillo Chicago, IL

I can't express how thankful I am for Life Alert. Their professionalism, compassionate staff, and their commitment to providing peace of mind for families have made them a top-tier company. They are a great company that truly cares.

Olivia Carmichael Kansas City, MO

I've always been the worrywart of the family, especially when it comes to my older sister's active lifestyle. Imagine my fear when I got that alert while vacationing in Hawaii! Blessedly, Life Alert had already dispatched an ambulance and alerted her neighbor to check on her. By the time we spoke, she was already in good hands and doing fine. Life Alert took years off my worrying, I can tell you that

Ulysses Walicki

While vacationing overseas, I received an urgent notification from Life Alert about my uncle's fall in his home. The speed and efficiency with which Life Alert coordinated emergency services were truly commendable. Within minutes, medical personnel were at his residence to provide critical care. Knowing that such a reliable service was watching over my uncle's well-being, especially when I couldn't be there, brought an immeasurable sense of relief and gratitude.

Chad Techounda Amsterdam, NH

When I reached my mid-seventies, I became acutely aware of the vulnerabilities age brought with it. Many of my peers talked about their fear of being alone in an emergency, and I shared their sentiment. Then my daughter introduced me to Life Alert. Initially, I was hesitant, fearing another complicated gadget. But its simplicity stunned me. One button, and I'm connected to help. Since then, my daily routines have regained a sense of normalcy. I garden, read, and even dance, knowing that if a moment of distress comes, I'm not truly alone. Life Alert hasn't just given me security; it's rejuvenated my spirit and zest for life. To other seniors out there: it's never too late to embrace safety and independence in one go.

Chris Wallace Glendale, CA

Before introducing Life Alert into our family, the constant worry about the safety of my aging parents was a heavy weight on my shoulders. My father had experienced a fall previously, and the sheer thought of it happening again, possibly without anyone around, was haunting. Enter Life Alert, and it’s been nothing short of a transformative experience. The convenience and assurance it offers are unparalleled. The single-button design is user-friendly, even for someone like my mom, who often finds technology intimidating. In our experience, upon activation, the response is swift and efficient. It's evident that their 24/7 monitoring team genuinely cares about their users. Beyond the physical safety it provides, the emotional peace of mind it has brought our family is immeasurable. Now, when I'm at work or even on vacation, I'm secure in the knowledge that my parents have a direct lifeline to immediate assistance should they ever need it. The freedom it offers them, and the relief it brings me, makes Life Alert one of the most invaluable investments we've made. To anyone considering Life Alert for their loved ones, I say without hesitation: it's a game changer. The peace and security it's brought our family is worth its weight in gold.

Amanda Welch Orlando, FL

The agents we have spoken with have made sure that we understand everything we've gone over, and have pleasant phone presence.

1 day ago

Ian Gardner

They was there when I had a medical emergency at home. Their timely response and expert assistance made me feel secure and supported during a critical moment.

Margie Lopez Frankfurt am Main, HE

Life Alert came to our rescue when my elderly mother had a fall. Their swift emergency response was a lifesaver, providing peace of mind and safety in her time of need.

Kora Oganyan Denver, CO

They gave my family peace of mind. When my grandmother had a fall, a simple press of a button summoned help immediately. The rapid response and their compassionate team made a difference.

Nancy Farinacci

My dad, who lives alone, had a medical emergency. A simple press of the button connected him to their response team. They contacted emergency services and ensured he received timely care. It's a true lifesaver.

Mina Gorin Phoenix, AZ

Life Alert has been there for us when we needed it most. Their rapid response, genuine concern, and effective medical alert systems make them a great company that goes above and beyond to protect lives.

Cynthia Stoetzel

Life Alert is more than just a company; they're a lifeline. Their 24/7 monitoring, easy-to-use devices, and caring staff make them a great choice for seniors and their families. They truly make a difference.

Pamela Levecke Los Angeles, CA

Choosing Life Alert was a brilliant decision for my family. Their reliability, transparent pricing, and their ability to respond quickly in crisis situations have made them a great company we trust.

Genna Rudisell Buffalo, NY

Life Alert is more than just a company; they're a lifeline. Their efficient response, user-friendly equipment, and their genuine desire to help have made them a great company that seniors and their families can depend on.

Stacie Auge Los Angeles, CA

Choosing Life Alert was a brilliant decision for my family. Their reliability, transparent pricing, and commitment to the safety of our loved ones have made them a great company that we trust.

Marilyn Callon Los Angeles, CA

Life Alert is a lifesaver. Their rapid response during emergencies, user-friendly devices, and commitment to providing peace of mind to families are unparalleled. It's not just a company; it's a great guardian of safety.

Trista Rash

Trina Orts Chicago, IL

I can't express how grateful I am for Life Alert. Their service has been a game-changer for my elderly parents. Their professionalism, immediate assistance, and dedication to safety are truly commendable.

Taren Smink

Life Alert is a true lifesaver. Their quick response during emergencies, reliable equipment, and exceptional customer service make them a great company that provides peace of mind to countless families.

Hayden Okadigbo Chicago, IL

As a senior living alone, Life Alert gives me peace of mind. Their reliable system and compassionate team have been there for me in times of need. I highly recommend their services.

Tami Norsworthy Santa Clara, CA

Life Alert's preventive care and emergency response services have been a blessing for our family. Their dedication to senior well-being is evident in everything they do. We trust them wholeheartedly with the care of our loved ones.

Stevie Hosfield GA

Life Alert's preventative care services are comprehensive and effective. Their emergency response team is compassionate and swift, providing vital assistance during critical moments. Life Alert is a true guardian for our elderly loved ones.

Randell Borowiec Salt Lake City, UT

Life Alert's preventative care services are a proactive approach to ensuring our elderly family members stay safe and healthy. Their emergency response team is swift and caring, providing vital assistance when it matters most.

Theresa Kepple Dallas, TX

Choosing Life Alert was one of the best decisions we made for our aging parents. Their preventative care services have helped maintain their independence, and the peace of mind that comes with their emergency response is priceless.

Sharolyn Kirsopp

Life Alert has been a lifeline for our family. Their preventative care and emergency response services provide peace of mind for our elderly loved ones. The quick response during emergencies has been a game-changer, ensuring their safety and well-being.

Deane Avino Glendale, CA

simply brilliant device, i wondered how i would ever leave my mother home... but now i can ... not that i want to neglect her but... theres also the outside world, i cannot be home all day. in comes life alert... simple , small reliable. it just does what u want when u want it.

Kevin Virkler Avenel, NJ

Life Alert's customer service is a lifesaver in every sense. Their swift response and compassionate assistance during a medical emergency were exemplary. Their professional and caring team truly understands the urgency of the situations they handle.

Sam Ibrahim Salt Lake City, UT

I legit fell... and i couldn't get up. That is the funny part i am actually in my 40's and have life alert... i have a severe disability and heart condition. My kids helped me by getting this, and now they dont worry. I tripped over a chord in my living room... and fractured a part of my lower body... i wouldnt of been able to get to my cellphone.. life alert was useful for me.

Elizabeth Odenson VA

Ever since my mother's unexpected fall last winter, the thought of leaving her alone became my biggest nightmare. Life Alert changed that for us. This device, with its simple one-button mechanism, bridged the gap between my mother's independence and my peace of mind. Every time I hear its gentle beep during our weekly test, my heart sends a silent thank you. It's more than a device; it's a guardian angel for our loved ones.

Peter Abu Los Angeles, CA

I feel safer with life alert. Ultimately i know someday ill unfortunately exit this planet... but while im on it i want to enjoy as much of life as i can, and life alert is allowing me that... i don't want to leave my own home, so this is my compromise to my kids, doing life alert made our relationship stronger too... i get to see them more... no nursing home.. hell no.

Yasmine Blundington Seattle, WA

A heartfelt shot out to Life alert from the daughter of two older grandparents. This device helped them sleep at night. Unfortunately they are no longer with us. But during their life, they used the button twice, and both times, they were responded to very fast, this extended their life for 15 years (according to doctors after)... now at the ages of 96, they both are no longer with us, thanks Life alert for those extra golden years.

Bill Weltman Queens, NY

Ease and speed of getting the order placed and how soon the equipment should arrive.

Noemi Gunderson-Smith Salt Lake City, UT

Life Alert played a vital role in ensuring the well-being of my grandparents during their old age. As they faced health challenges, this remarkable service proved to be a lifeline, granting them immediate access to medical assistance with just a push of a button. The peace of mind it offered to our family was immeasurable, knowing that help was always available. Life Alert's highly trained staff responded promptly to emergencies, swiftly dispatching medical professionals. This invaluable support allowed my grandparents to maintain their independence, while we knew they were in safe hands. Life Alert undoubtedly enhanced their quality of life and eased our concerns during their golden years.

Life Alert Logo

Reply from Life Alert

Dear Noemi, thank you for your kind words. Life Alert invests in its products and in all its employees, dispatchers and staff. We also do not outsource our monitoring dispatch center like others do, and we are one of only two medical alert companies that earned the prestigious 5-Diamond award with TMA (The Monitoring Association). But most importantly, we care about our members and their families and have been bringing peace of mind for over 37 years.

Aug. 1st, 2023

Larry Solomon Salt Lake City, UT

As a senior citizen, I cannot express enough gratitude for my favorite medical device. This device has truly been a lifesaver, providing me with independence and peace of mind. Its user-friendly design and intuitive controls make it easy for me to monitor my health parameters on a daily basis. With accurate readings and real-time alerts, it has helped me stay proactive in managing my well-being. The device's portability and durability ensure that I can take it with me wherever I go. It has become an indispensable tool in my healthcare routine, and I highly recommend it to fellow seniors looking to maintain their health with confidence. Go Life alert Go!

Jack Mckee Phoenix, AZ

They came to the rescue when my mother had a fall. Their prompt response saved her life, and their services provide us with invaluable peace of mind.

Lei Boyter Phoenix, AZ

Life Alert is a lifesaver. They responded swiftly when I needed help, providing immediate assistance and peace of mind. It's a service I can't imagine living without.

Dahlia Brueckner

My parents are the most important people in my life. Life Alert gives them the support they need, and it's comforting to know help is just a button press away.

Edward Bisking Salt Lake City, UT

Life Alert has been a lifeline for me. I've used it in emergencies, and the response is lightning- fast. They truly care about their customers' well-being.

Gilbert Bastarache Salt Lake City, UT

I'm so thankful for Life Alert! Their friendly and helpful team, combined with their easy-to-use devices, have made my family feel secure. It's a must-have for anyone looking out for loved ones.

Bridget Dittberner Zoetermeer, ZH

Life Alert is the best investment for safety and peace of mind. Their cutting-edge technology, round-the-clock monitoring, and swift response have proven to be lifesavers in critical moments.

Chase Windrow Chicago, IL

Life Alert Life Alert is synonymous with trust in emergency response. Their highly trained professionals, cutting-edge equipment, and dedication to saving lives make them an industry leader.