Life Alert Logo

Life Alert

3.5

Life Alert Emergency Response has been a pioneer of the medical alert system industry since its start in 1987. Popularized by its "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" ad campaign, the Life Alert system has become a household name; the brand is so synonymous with medical alert systems, that many know the medical alert industry simply as the Life Alert industry.

However, despite its well-known name, there are many concerns with its medical alert services. Common Life Alert complaints include scamming tactics, high prices and fees, poor customer service, and lengthy contracts (three years). We highly suggest doing your research and learning about other top-rated medical alert providers with positive reviews.

Below we have provided you with the Good, Bad, and Bottom Line about Life Alert in order to give you a quick breakdown of the facts to help you decide if Life Alert is the right medical alert system for you or your loved one.

The Good

• CSAA Five Diamond Certified
  • Free Shipping and Equipment Warranty
  • Life Alert Monitoring Center
  • Successful Services
  • Family Notifications
  • Multiple Emergency Services

CSAA Five Diamond Certified

Most medical alert companies should be CSAA five diamond certified if they want their monitoring center and services to be as safe and efficient as possible. The certification implies the company maintains a high-quality call center service.

It's not a requirement to obtain this certification in order to operate, so many medical alert providers aren't certified. It's comforting to know Life alert is certified and cares about taking those additional steps to ensure its medical alert services are exceeding standards.

Free Shipping and  Equipment Warranty

Life Alert offers free shipping and a free equipment warranty. However, the duration of the warranty is unclear, so you may need to pay for an equipment replacement after a certain period of time.

Life Alert Monitoring Center

Being one of the largest medical alert companies in the industry, Life Alert operates its services with its own monitoring center. A significant amount of medical alert companies will contract with a third-party monitoring center. Having the response center be under Life Alert's direct attention likely makes for a more hands-on approach, which could be comforting to medical alert users and their loved ones.

Successful Services

Since 2008, Life Alert's services have helped save more than 500,000 people. Having a successful medical alert service for so long and having the live-saving statistics to prove it is comforting to potential customers looking to put their safety in Life Alert's hands.

Family Notifications

At the push of a button, the customer's emergency contact, along with an emergency dispatch unit, will be immediately notified of the problem. Your selected contact can be anyone, whether that is a family member, a caregiver, or a trusted neighbor.

Multiple Emergency Services

Life Alert also offers services for a host of situations aside from an occasional medical emergency. These include fire protection, carbon monoxide gas protection, home intrusion, mobile tracking through GPS, and a cell phone app. These services aren't just for seniors, either.

The Bad

• Three-Year Contract
  • Expensive Service
  • No Automatic Fall Detection
  • Few Equipment Details
  • Negative Life Alert Reviews

Three-Year Contract

With a three-year contract, Life Alert locks customers into one of the longest contracts in the industry. Top competitors offer contracts that operate from month to month, which provides consumers the peace of mind of not having to buy out of a contract.

Having such a long contract in an industry that doesn't typically require them is concerning. The company's contract is also one of the most common Life Alert complaints among the majority of its customer reviews. Overall, consumers on our site are not happy with the long-term contract, and they find it difficult — and sometimes impossible — to get out of Life Alert's contract.

Expensive Service

Because Life Alert is so well established in the industry, the company does not frequently rely on or offer discounts on its products and services. Although the company lists that it offers free equipment, shipping, and a warranty on its website, the Life Alert cost is one of the more expensive on the market.

Many medical alert companies have a similar offering of free equipment, free shipping, and a free warranty, but they also include no long-term contracts, free activation, and affordable monthly monitoring (as little as $19.95 per month). Life Alert, on the other hand, requires a three-year contract, charges upwards of $70 per month, and calls for a hefty activation fee of nearly $100.

Many Life Alert reviews also note that the company increases its prices without notice and relies on locking customers into a long-term contract of three years. We suggest making sure a long-term contract isn't something that is a deal-breaker for you if you're interested in Life Alert's services.

No Automatic Fall Detection

Many medical alert systems in the industry today offer automatic fall detection. Automatic fall detection is a medical alert capability that will immediately notify the medical alert company's monitoring center if a pendant wearer experiences a fall, even if they cannot press the button themselves. It's a way to give users peace of mind that they do not have to do anything on their part if they experience a fall; as long as you have on the wearable device, the fall will trigger help and the medical alert company will take care of contacting emergency responders.

Life Alert does not currently offer any products with fall detection capability. This is definitely a con of Life Alert, especially since most medical alert companies offer fall detection features.

Few Equipment Details

The website offers next to no information on equipment details or company policies. In comparison to other companies that offer transparent details on multiple medical alert devices, this is concerning.

According to the company's website, a Life Alert medical alert device does include the typical base station and a help button that can be worn as a pendant or a wristband, a backup battery life of 72 hours, and a U.S.-based monitoring service. It's also noted you have your choice of landline or cellular service, but no additional details are listed regarding package or equipment details.

There is no information on other medical alert service features such as two-way communication or a GPS unit built in for tracking. The website says there is on-the-go protection if you push the button on a "special cell phone button" but it's unclear what that is and if it is just referring to the Life Alert app you can navigate from your own mobile device.

To find additional information, you need to request a brochure. You can't request the brochure online or have it emailed to you; you instead have to call the company, talk to a representative, and request that a brochure be sent to you in the mail. By the time you receive the brochure, you could've already heavily researched, ordered, and received a medical alert system from another company that is more transparent about its services and has a more up-to-date process.

Most medical alert companies are upfront about their equipment and offerings online, even allowing orders to be made directly online, so it is worrying that Life Alert is selective about what little information it does share on its website and it's impossible to order unless you call the company. Unfortunately, if you're looking for convenience, that doesn't seem to be Life Alert's strong suit.

Negative Life Alert Reviews

The majority of Life Alert reviews are overwhelmingly negative, many of them noting that the company locks you into a long-term contract (36-month contract) and then makes it extremely difficult (or refuses completely) to allow customers to cancel its medical alert services. Many customers also mention scamming tactics, including upping the prices without notice, having faulty equipment, and neglecting customer service quality.

One customer addresses Life Alert as a scam: "It is a scam. Once you sign up [Life alert] uses every tactic to frustrate your ability to end the service...They get you to sign up for one amount and then jack up your monthly fee unilaterally."

Another frustrated consumer says something similar: "[Life Alert] locks you into a contract and makes it nearly impossible to cancel...This is just a scam to try to ring as much money as possible out of elderly people on a fixed income."

With such negative feedback, we highly suggest going with an alternative medical alert provider with positive reviews and a trustworthy reputation.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

The Bottom Line

Life Alert Emergency Response is not the best system on the market. While Life Alert as a company has many positives such as the respected CSAA Five Diamond Certification, its high installation fee, hefty long-term contracts (three years), and average system features should encourage potential buyers to explore Life Alert alternatives.

Although Life Alert has a solid reputation for saving lives and has the statistics to back it up, there is quite a bit of missing information that would set the company apart from its competition. The company isn't transparent about its services on its website and is also behind the industry in regards to its equipment capabilities and overall offerings.

Life Alert's business model seems to be similar to what it was when it first began. As technology has advanced and other capabilities have surfaced with other medical alert companies, Life Alert seems to instead be keeping its medical alert services similar to what it's always been rather than trying to improve and expand its offerings. For example, other medical alert providers have things such as automatic fall detection, advanced equipment with medical reminder functionality, medical alert smartwatches, etc.

Although its services are clearly effective and get the job done, for how much the company charges, we wish the company would expand its business model to include better services for a cheaper price point, as its competitors have done.

Read Life Alert reviews below to see what customers have to say about Life Alert's medical alert systems and customer service. Unfortunately, the majority of Life Alert reviews are negative, and we suggest going with a more reputable medical alert company.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

1.4

bookmark

Featured Review

Eric San Diego, CA

We use Life Alert for my older mother who has some medical issues. Thank goodness she has not yet fallen and had to use it but she is seizure prone so she always wears it just in case. It certainly lifts a weight off of my shoulders to know that she can push that button if something happens and help will be on the way immediately. Thank you Life Alert for peace of mind. Life Alerts customer service was great when setting up my mothers system.

bookmark

Featured Review

Richard James Seattle, WA

Thank god for life alert. I never thought I would need them, but I did and they were wonderful. I am so lucky they helped me.

Gerta Keller Princeton, NJ

I called Life Alert as an option for my ill husband in Oct. 2018, but because he didn't want to buy the contract unless I was on it also, the sales rep told me to sign up for it just for an extra $10 and when my husband dies the contract would end. My husband died in early March 2021. Life Alert refuses to cancel my contract saying that it is running till the end of October 2021 regardless of the death of my husband. They are harassing me daily for contract payment but also for replacing their useless old installation for an extra $149. I have refused this installation and still they sent it, and still they harass me. Life alert requires auto payment from your bank account. When my bank account was compromised in 2019, the auto payment access stopped and I refused to renew their account saying I would pay by check every month. They harassed me week after week by phone calls demanding my autopay renewal, saying they do not any other billing. Eventually they would send a pink "overdue notice", but the same harassing has continued every month along with threatening my credit rating.

CHRISTINE Stony Point, NY

When I signed up for my uncle, my aunt was in a nursing home. We were tricked into adding her name to the account as well in case she needed help when she came home. Now that my uncle has died, they will not cancel because my aunt is still living and on the contract. SCAM SCAM SCAM and shame on them for ripping off seniors. When these snot nosed employees of the company reach their senior years I only hope they are treated as bad.

Vasile Stelian Georgescu Bakersfield, CA

Hello, this company is scammer, the will not give you potions to terminate the agreement , unless you die, or going to a facility. they do not care about an individual, well being, they only care about their income. I offer to pay termination fee but they do not accepted, the only option is to stop payments, this means it will go to a collection agency, your credit will be affected, when I asked what happen after, they have no answer, all they care is three year contract which cannot be terminated. Speaking with a customer service supervisor, no other options were given. leasing contract can be terminated before the terms, with paneity paid. I never come across a contract/agreement , cannot be terminated before terms... till now. I will not recommend this service to anyone, no professionalism, a company structured where a supervisor is the higher authority you can talk to, I asked to talk to someone above, reply was owner is to busy, and never takes calls from customers... I wonder why? I wonder if he read his company reviews given by the customers, paying for all his life expenses. for anyone having possibility to open a business... this is a good one. I vote this company NO for support, NO for professionalism, NO for helping people in need, NO this is a scam, false advertising, once GPS has been depressed, takes long time to response, records are kept for their benefits only. I give it one star because I have no other option, but realistically, minus 5 would be appropriate. before one decide to sigh with this company, I encourage you to do your home work, others offer beater for less.

William Sellars Clarksville, MD

Life alert told me I could cancel anytime when I signed up. They left out the fact the my mom had to be in a nursing home or dead for me to cancel. When I signed up for this service a year ago, my mom was able to understand what it did and how it worked. Now, her dementia makes the product useless for her. She does not understand how to use it anymore. That is not a good enough reason for life alert to stop taking NINETY DOLLARS A MONTH FROM MY ELDERLY CONFUSED MOTHER. They told me another way to get out of the THREE YEAR CONTRACT was to get 24 hour a day care. I have home health care workers here 14 hours a day and I take care of my mother the other 10 hours per day, but, according to life alert, my care for my mother doesn’t count because I’m not a licensed home care worker. So my mom gets 24 hour care, but it’s not good enough for this rip-off company. They care about money ONLY. The fact that my mom is on a fixed income does not matter at all to theses greedy people, just her money. Stay away from this terrible, greedy company that only has the well being of one thing in mind- profits.

Chantel Gardner Bellingham, WA

I did my research and picked a different company. Unfortunately my father saw an add in the newspaper and signed up. We tried unsuccessfully to cancel it as his metal capacities were failing. Later we tried to cancel as he had 24/7 in home care and that was also unsuccessful. When he finally was in hospice care we were told that he could cancel, with a letter from the hospice nurse. Unfortunately that was also untrue. Now that he has passed they are still charging and saying that we need to send in a death certificate. I can not believe a company like this exists. Do not use. It was a waist of thousands of dollars.

Sarah Westly Dallas, TX

I am very surprised to see negative comments about this company. I am 84 years old and I have had nothing but the most fabulous experience with Life Alert. I had two bad falls and if I didn't have my button, I would have been in big trouble. They are always so nice to me and pleasant. I feel peace because I know I have my helper no matter what. I wouldn't give Life Alert up for anything. God bless.

Jim Seattle, WA

We're two years into the three year contract. My parents (both in their 80's) live in their home in southern California, while I'm way up in Seattle. They've activated the system twice after falls, and all worked exactly as described. LifeAlert's dispatcher contacted emergency services, and paramedics were onsite in minutes. I received a notification call in both cases, keeping me informed. This service allows my parents to stay in their home, where they prefer to be. Worth every penny for peace of mind. Their website and ability to interact online (for billing changes, etc.) is a bit underwhelming.

Barbara Spangler

My mother has had Life Alert for 5 years. She is now 88 years old and has problems with balance. Because she has had both knees and both hips replaced, when she falls she is unable to get back up without assistance. I live an hour away. Life Alert has responded beautifully each time she has "fallen and can't get up". She highly recommends Life Alert to all of her friends and says it is a life saver. Life Alert means she can maintain her independence. It gives me (and my two siblings that live across the country) such peace of mind.

Jeanne Gravitt

I love both of my Life Alert "buttons". I love the fact that they tell you to test your equipment once a month too. It is a little expensive, $69.95 a month, but so far not matter here I go, it has been there if I need it. I have found that it takes a few minutes to get a live person, and hope that if I can't talk, they will still send someone sent to find out what's wrong. I also like the fact that if I am on the road, they are suppose to be able to get help, that's why I chose them over the Guardian. Life Alert was the only one I found that had the "travelling pager" It's heavier like the old pagers as far as weight goes, but you can talk to it and get a response, and while it's expense, it's been worth it for my peace of mind.

Janet Los Angeles, CA

Once my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer, we didn't know what to expect so we immediately called Life Alert. They helped us pick and choose which services she may need and answered all our questions. The rep was very kind, patient and informative. We are very happy we chose Life Alert.

Neil Freese Lewes, DE

They make it extremely difficult to cancel the service. First they tell you no one can help you at this time and someone will call you back. When you have to finally call back then they want a power of attorney faxed over. They do everything possible to stop you from canceling.

Cliff Bowman Stroudsburg, PA

It was not explained to me about a 3 year contract until I attempted to end our relationship in September 2018. Due to a financial hardship, I wanted to cancel my agreement. In a conversation with their Financial Controller, I asked to end the service because of a serious change in my financial position. She reminded me we had a 3 year contract (I was not provided a copy of this contract by my sales person). She had to send me a copy of this 3 year contract for proof. This all was totally mishandled by their sales person. The Sales Controller offered me a very small reduced monthly payment but it is still too much for me to pay on my fixed income. Today 6/24/20, 2 months prior to the end of my contract, I asked for a 2 month early ending and LIFE ALERT REFUSED ME AGAIN despite my financial position, They wouldn't take my September 2020 relationship ending today but, are making me call them again on September 1. I am totally dissatisfied with Life Alert and would not recommend them to anyone!

Fiona Goldson Chicago, IL

Whenever lay mother has had an issue, Life Alert always responds. It's a little more expensive, bit I like quality especially when it comes to my mom. Very happy with life alert.

Desooze Jacksonville, FL

Beware the heartless customer service of Life Alert! Seniors are their primary customers and yet they do not run their business with compassion or understanding that 3 year contracts are absurd for this demographic with negative life changes that come on rapidly and often unexpectedly. Death seems the only way out of a contract on an overpriced system! I hope when the parents of these customer service/ management/owners of Life Alert become infirm ......or heaven forbid themselves .......that they will not use their own Life Alert system! Go elsewhere folks! There are better and more affordable systems with no contracts at all .......and kind caring folks “behind the curtain” ready to help your loved one navigate the perils of aging!

Dean Thayer Southfield, MI

When doing research when my father died, I called and talked to a gentleman about service. I accidentally gave my mother's phone number, I told him me and my wife would discuss and get back in two weeks. A week later my mother called to tell me she set up a account for herself, I asked why and she a guy called and said I wanted my mom on this rite away. So in short my mom has the service now it's ok. But they are real jerks when confronted

Catherine Marino West Sayville, NY

Although Life Alert made pretty good time in the one instance in which one of my mother's grandchildren pushed the button while playing (she has since moved it to a place they cannot reach), I'm very disappointed in their cancellation policy. They say I signed a 3 year contract but I did not. My mother might have, she doesn't remember, but she's not the one who set it all up and paid for it. When I arranged it for her (by the way, I don't know where those figures come from but I pay close to $80 a month) she was going to be alone as my sister and nephew who is 25 were moving out because my sister was getting married and both were moving out. Fast forward to 13 months later: my sister has already separated from her husband and she and my nephew are moving back in with her. One works days and one works nights so she always has someone at home with her. She also goes, by herself to bingo and an arcade 3 nights a week. In addition, she goes grocery shopping, to get her nails done and to get her hair done unaccompanied. So as long as things remain this way, she no longer needs the life alert. Not that she ever was disabled, but it gave me piece of mind knowing that she had some kind of protection since I live 17,00 miles away. When I called Life Alert and asked to cancel her service, they told me they will do no such thing unless I get proof that she has a nurse there 24 hours a day. she NEVER had anyone assist her in her own home ever. Suddenly these life alert people are concerned with my mother's well being. This is B*****t. They want to make their $80 a month for two more years. I offered to have my mother write up something that says she doesn't need this service and have it notarized but that is unacceptable. Her doctor is NOT going to sign something saying she has 24 hour medical care. He's not going to put his practice on the line, as I would expect. So I am bound to this payment for the next 2 years.

Barbara Corker North Highlands, CA

69.90 monthly with pendant for 3 years. I complained of pricing and a year later they dropped it to 59.90. My problem is especially troubling because they can't hear me from my bathroom or bedroom as they did when it was installed...I've used it at least 3 times and was taken to the hospital and admitted but the one time I thought I was having a stroke they didn't answer after a few minutes and I called my neighbor ( an RN ) She came over and tried but ended up calling 911 where I was taken to the hospital.. I complained and they said they were " very sorry it happened and I needed to reboot my base"..I will change after my times up Can't now because of an iron clad contract !

Josephine Hall

I've been a customer for 5+ yrs. Sometimes when calling to check equipment the service is slower than it should be. But, I must say that I've only used them a couple of times. Once when I accidentally pushed the button while working in the yard. They called the people I had designated and couldn't get in touch with any of them and immediately sent the fire department out to check on me. Another time someone came to my door late at night and I was alone and a little afraid. I pushed the button and asked them to call the police. They did and the police arrived within a few minutes. So, I wish the response time was faster when trying to call them, but on the whole I feel comfortable using Life Alert.

Rileygrazer Topanga, CA

I called life alert to ask how much a cost for the service for my grandma and the customer service agent was extremely rude and wouldn’t let my mom talk and I asked how much it will cost anyone give it to me on the phone I called customer service sales rep to get details in the sales rep will not give us pricing and and for canceling any sort of pay for three years for cancellation fee I find that unacceptable for a company that does that help senior citizens out that is extremely rude and extremely And very bad for money

Gina K Welch Reedsville, WI

When my elderly friend told Matt H, a sales rep for Life Alert, that she wanted to speak to her p.o.a before finalizing a decision on a medical alert he attempted to make her second guess her choice in who she has as p.o.a. He proceeded to hard sell, use fear tactics, and continue to harass her after she told him she went with a different medical alert. I called the company and the office Matt H. works from. Both times I was told a supervisor would return my call. No one called me back. Though Life Alert is well known for their commercials they are not the best rated company. I had already felt that my friend should not choose Life Alert but after her experience with the sales rep my friend is also certain.

Deidre Wilson Winchester, CA

I wish that I could give them a ZERO! My mom has been paying them for service 8 months and I found her this morning on her bedroom floor, in excruciating pain. She’s been there for 45 mins!! She pressed her button when she fell and the recording came on telling her hold on. Then nothing! She kept trying to press it and nothing happened. I immediately called 911, tried pressing everything on her machine with no luck, and then went and pressed the emergency button in her shower and got a recording to hold on! That continued until the paramedics were already there! Paid $1000 for this piece of crap service over the last 9 months and it was useless when she really needed it! After all the paramedics and firefighters left, I was upset. I called Life Alert and now at the end of the day, no manager will call me back. Talked to 6 different people, including their tech support who checked it with me doing what he said, and surprise- it doesn’t work. So he suggests moving to another area of the house for my mom who’s confined to her room. Repeated calls after no call back, unplugged the machine to box it up, and surprise- a call from their emergency service to see if we have a power outage because the machines not registering!! Do not waste your money or rely on this company to protect you of your loved ones. Epic fail today!!

Dennis Burtick Athens, GA

*Life Alert SEEMED like a good idea 5 yrs ago but technology improves and they have not. They call you to tell you they are testing your sensors and then note that the batteries are dead. So send me new ones...you are billing us for a service. Nope...have to go buy them yourself and they are not cheap. Try cancelling service and the telemarketer type "customer service" guy is RUDE. Will not talk to me because I am not authorized but was authorized from the beginning. Wanted me to send him a opy of my power of attorney. So got wife on phone and he tried strong arming her...just like they do with all seniors. Told her to just say NO...and cancel the service. Then you have to go to a tech who will then deactivate the system and will call you back after 4 mins. She eventually called my cell and said we were cancelled (she was polite). Told her that the first guy was a jerk and would result in me never recommending them again. I imagine they get that a lot now. Replaced this with a 5 star alert phone for the wife. The bad thing about the older Life Alert is that the button only works in the house.. I know they upgraded that to include better range but they don't replace older equipment with the new stuff but still charge you the higher fee. Finally quit them today. They said to just throw out the old equipment. I'll check on recycling the batteries and any toxic metals in the sensors. They are in it for the money...and seniors are an easy target. The guy I dealt with would have talked my wife into keeping it, if I was not sitting right next to her. Pity the other seniors out there that can not stand up to people like him. I would never recommend them. 5 yrs and no needs = $3000. Except for one time the smoke detector wen toff because the fireplace flue was closed a little too much. I was right there. Not like we were sleeping and this could be a real emergency. When they called, I told them what happened. Would not accept my reply. Had to wake up wife and have her groggily answer their questions or they were sending a fire truck, even though another alert, responsible adult told them everything was fine. Good riddance....

Andrew Spokane, WA

Scott B is one of the most disrespectful person I’ve ever talk to he called my mom that’s 78 and trued to strong arm her then when I spoke to him I Tried to explain that the service was to Expensive after I hung up the phone with him he repeatedly to call me back 5 to 6 times and he called my mother and told her that I wanted her to get the box and that she needed to order it right then even know such conversation was ever spoke about I have never experienced such a hard aggressive tactics against elderly people except for the scams you see on TV he should be ashamed of yourself by an elderly people and trying to buy your product

Anne Breckbill Saint Paul, MN

Please don't do it! (Wishing for a zero star option) My mother has been a long-term (over 5 years) LifeAlert customer and has thankfully never needed it. She is losing ground cognitively and is easily confused and anxious. She is moving to an assisted living center where she does not need the Life Alert service. I called to cancel the month-to-month contract and got my mother on the phone to give verbal consent. The customer service rep would not let me speak, would not let mom cancel, was fear-mongering, pressuring, badgering, and insisted that mom tell her exactly what type of alert system the new place will have - something mom can't even do about her current system with Life Alert. She then asserted that she really "must advise her" to make her own decisions about her safety (i.e. not be influenced by me and implying that she is not "safe"). In the end, we were unable to cancel for the end of the month (she is paid through the end of the month) because if we canceled today she would not be covered for the next 10 days (till I arrive there) EVEN THOUGH SHE HAS PAID FOR THEM! Having read other reviews, I suspect that once I do get there and we cancel we stand the chance of having to pay another month due to them needing a 30-day notice. I guess we'll see. The way she spoke with my mom WITH ME ON THE LINE could be used as a primer of how to take advantage of the elderly. Lord knows what would happen without a witness. In the end, we got off of the phone and mom was completely confused about the outcome and believes that the service has been canceled. It has not. This is a company that puts their resources into gaining new customers and making it hard to leave. Thankfully, I have no knowledge of how they actually do with seniors if emergencies happen, but if the interaction I just witnessed is AT ALL reflective of how interested they are in the actual well-being of seniors, run - don't walk - away from Life Alert.

David W Schroeder El Cajon, CA

Set up services for my 86 year old Mother. Her husband my step father is in the last stages of Alezheimers. So I paid 15 months into the plan and she has very bad arthritis in her knees and hands and is unable to use the device. So she stopped wearing it. I called the company and they reminded me of the 36 month contract which I understand. I asked if the device could be redistributed to my sister who could use it and they said unlikely and the process is complicated and specific forms would have to be submitted. Very disappointing. So I'm not paying for another 21 months with no benefit. The business practice is very non-consumer friendly and is very bottom line focused. I will never recommend Life Alert to anyone. This has been a very bad experience. They were completely inflexible.

Warren Solomon Bayside, NY

There are so many reputable companies providing the same type of product. No regard for the changing status of seniors. My stepdad purchased a plan following my mother’s death as we told him he could no longer be alone. With time he became increasingly less able to care for himself and we called LifeAlert to cancel or at least amend the contract as the family would now care for him. We were told by Tina M., a very smug and sarcastic women that we should prove it. We were than passed to Jasmine in the retention dept and she rudely stated that we would pay until 11/2021. And we had better not attempt to mail the button and other paraphernalia back or she would bill us when she mailed it back to us. Spoke to the bank about stopping payments and they knew LifeAlert well. Stated that LifeAlert will changes one number on the computerized request and it will go through. We have currently filed complaints with 3 govt and private agencies. We may not get anywhere but at least the name of this scamming company will be out there. Go anywhere else but this disreputable group.

Stefanie Revere, MA

After I called for a free brochure, I was prompted to another agent to answer my questions about the product. That agent was the rudest person I've ever talked to. He was ageist and asked if a young adult like me can afford life alert for my grandmother. Once he told me the price of my plan per month I said I would think about it IF he answered my questions on the product first. He hung up on me. He immediately called me back from a different number and told me that I was wasting his time. It's his job to answer my questions about the product; that's why I was transferred to him after signing up for a free brochure.

Cherilyn Schultz Butternut, WI

I actually did not go with Life Alert. I looked into a number of services, and felt this was not for me. One reason was the cost of the purchase. The rep kept calling and calling, after I declined to use them, telling them why, and that I was going with another company. She still kept calling, which I truly felt was way out of line. As a sidebar reason, she could never say my name correctly, which is something that annoys me no end. I kept telling her how, it really is simple after I tell you, but obviously too hard for her. Just like it was too hard for her to understand I did not wish to use them. I finally got a new phone, which allowed me to block numbers from calling me. Yea! No more Life Alert!!! I really dodged a big problem from everything I am reading here. I just wanted to add that if you inquire about them, they will not leave you alone.

J Butler Houston, TX

I am dealing with trying to cancel my mother's service. She is experiencing dementia and has no ability to cope with customer service procedures. She recently moved into an assisted living facility. When I called Life Alert to cancel I was quizzed aggresdively as to whether my mother would be located in a place that had 24 hour nursing care available as well as a pendant. Then I was told that she would have to submit a letter from her new residence on their letterhead stating that she would no longer need the service. When I explained that was not possible for her to do, and that I had power of attorney over her affairs and was legally entitled to cancel her acvount, I was told to email the power of attorney documents to them and they "would then call me to discuss canceling the account". That conversation took place a couple days later. I was instructed at that point that I would have to be in front of the equipment to press some kind of button to cancel the service, and this was the only way to disable the account. This did not sit well with me, because I live 100 miles away. He cited a page on a contract I had no knoqledge of and insisted this was the only way I could cancel the account, for someone to enter my mother's former residence and press this button. Of course, she has moved and the phone line is non-active, and no family members live nearby. I expressed my frustration at these ridiculous requirements and asked why they couldn't have told me these things when I was at her home helping her move at the time I made the first call and was told to submit the POA and they would call me to "discuss" canceling. When I told the customer service person that they should have informed of the need to press the precious button when I called the first time, the response was "I'm sorry you feel that way." My response, "You're sorry I feel that way? What a ridiculous thing to say." I was fairly ticked off by now. The customer service agent then hung up on me. I called back and was connected after a long wait to a supervisor. I explained the situation and she told me I had the option of paying $300 for the equipment now in order to cancel the service and that the $300 would be returned if I sent the equipment back within 30 days. I asked why didn't the first person I spoke with tell me that was an option, and was told they would review the recording of the phone call. That is where things stand currently. I would imagine these kinds of situations arise often, where a family member living our of town who has no idea of a "contract" or its provisions tries to cancel an accout on behalf of someone who is no longer able to do so. Unstead of being transparent, helpful, and forthcoming with information, the Life Alert people made it as difficult, inconvenient and frustrating as possible. Instead of explaining the contract and its provisions for canceling right off the bat, they doled out information as reluctantly as possible. It leaves me feeling that instead of being helpful, this is a company that is actively trying to take advantage of those family members in the aftermath of difficult situations. They know the contract, family members who are trying to deal with the affairs of their parents very likely don't, and often may not have access to it. That's shameful behavior. They could do much better and be far more friendly and helpful to people needing to cancel service because of changes in life situations. I would encourage any older person looking for such services to bypass Life Alert.

S. Fusaro East Norwich, NY

I have to give a star to write a review. Life alert is a scam. This company plays on peoples fears. They suck you into 3 year contracts that you didn't know you are even in. When you try to cancel they give you the run around and transfer you to different people and departments. They ask you to provide documentation such as a health care proxies, death certificates, doctors notes, etc the list goes on just to get more money out of people. This is the lowest of the low. They prey on senior citizens and their families. This is not a life saving device, you do not need to have a doctors note to get this device. Beware and stay away this is a money making scam. Life alert needs to be shut down, and doors closed.

scott Grand Ledge, MI

Service is fine, but good luck trying to cancel it. I'm the DPoA and my mother is going into an assisted care facility and they're making me just through hoops to cancel the service. I told them 'how about I just stop paying you as noone live there'. Their response and I quote "you'll be sent to collections...have a nice day sir' and they hung up. Horrible customer service. I can tell you I won't be using them again for other family members.

Karen Murtaugh, ID

Don't get Life Alert! My dad has been trying to get out of his contract for 2 months now. He is now living with me and under 24 hour care. His equipment is in another state in storage. They told him he needed a letter stating he now had 24 hour care. Sent that. Then they wanted license numbers of caretaker. Sent that. Now they are saying it needs to be on a letterhead. They previously said no letterhead needed as the caretaker was his granddaughter. They are giving us the runaround just to keep getting money. I'm all in for a class action suit. We need to stop these thieves from ripping off the elderly.

BHarley Bluffton, SC

If I could give zero stars, I would. They sold me on the system for my parents under the false pretense that if my parents passed away during the contract period, they would actually refund my money & end the contract. My father passed away & he was my mother’s primary caregiver. She has severe dementia. She cannot use the system - nor even understands what it’s for. It’s useless. Nevertheless, since she is being cared for by family & has not been “put in a home”, they are holding me to 2.5 more years of contract at $100 per month. This company does not care about the elderly. They care about the dollars.

Sylvia's Daughter Hollywood, FL

We ordered Life Alert for my mom who was living independently. When my mom could no longer care for herself, we moved her with my sister who cared for her around the clock. During the last months of my mom's life, she was kept sedated in Hospice and had no use for the Life Alert. After watching my mom suffer for months, Life Alert caused more stress and heartache. They would NOT cancel the contract. They didn't care about anything I said. Their answer was get a letter from Hospice (is that all I am thinking of while watching my mom die) OR pay and wait until I can provide a Death Certificate. UNLESS YOU KNOW FOR SURE YOU WILL USE THE SYSTEM UNTIL THE END OF THE CONTRACT, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY......

Raymond Diamond Bar, CA

It is a scam. Once you sign up they use every tactic to frustrate your ability to end the service. It is so frustrating. They get you to sign up for one amount and then jack up your monthly fee unilaterally. When you are signing up, it’s all peaches until you demand to end it and then the run around starts. Usually, they’ll have a “lady” take over and she’ll use every avenue to frustrate your ability to end the contract. She would tell you it’s only the old folks covered by the account who can speak to them about cancellation. And when you argue, as I did, I was told they can only speak to my wife; even though it was I who signed up. I then got my wife on the phone and suddenly it was a statement that it would take a really long time to “discuss” the account. When my wife stated that she was busy and just wanted them to end the service, as she had requested on multiple occasions previously; the “lady” starts again with “the service isn’t ending until we discuss with you.” Meanwhile, my wife is now practically yelling at her to simply cancel the service and the lady is insisting that they must “discuss” the account. While all this is going on, they are busy debiting my account each month. I even had my bank try to stop their debit and those crooks responded to my bank with allegations of a valid contract. In short, avoid these crooks like the plague. I will surely prospect for a class action against them. They do not deserve to be in business. A bunch of crooks!

Dianne Hutchinson, KS

I'm ready to call the Better Business Bureau on these scoundrels... I sent back my mothers machine in April of last year and they keep sending letters and calling. They said for me to give them the tracking number that I used when sending the machine back and I did. They said thaust they couldn't find the machine. One of the people called and I told them about what we did and he said that he would take care of taking our name off the list. Well it is March of the next year and they are still hounding us. Finally they sent a bill for one whole year....my mother has dementia and has been in a living center for this whole time they have been harassing us. Do not use them...there are other ones to try...what a bunch of losers.

Russ Anaconda, MT

DO NOT CALL THEM! THEY WILL HOUND YOU TO DEATH! I made the mistake of calling them and they will not stop calling me back. I blocked their number and they started texting me. I told Salesman Larry that I went with someone else and now Alex is calling me. They are high pressure sales and want to push the most expensive system on you. I simply wanted something for my mother when she is at home. Larry told me they do not have a system like this and just kept pushing me at this $99/ month system. BS!! I got what I needed from another vendor for $19.95/ month. I think Life Alert gouges it's customers.

Carrie V Lakewood, WA

These Lifealert people try and scare you away from other similar type products. They tell you other similar products have left people laying on floors for 30+ hours because of a dead battery. The medical alert program does not require charging a battery each night like Lifealert indicated. My grandma who had fallen twice in two weeks could not afford Lifealert expensive fees and almost quit looking for this type help which in my opinion put her at a greater risk. I am so livid wit Her lofealert for this kind of high pressure tactics on the elderly. This is a type of elder abuse and I wish I could do more about it than just a review.

San Phoenix, AZ

I have been in the senior industry for over 18 years and I have referred this company to my clients, but not any longer. This ad states it may be offensive and it is! They are using fear tacit to sell their product which they know is offensive, but it seems they really don't care. There are other good companies around that offers the same type of product and are sensitive to the consumer. I am retired now, but I still receive calls for referrals and will not give this companies name out.

Cathy G Huntington Beach, CA

I would give negative stars if i could. DO NOT subscribe to Life Alert. They lock you into a contract and make it nearly impossible to cancel. As my dad's dementia worsened, he was no longer capable of using (he pushed the button when he didn't need help, and wouldn't understand to push it if he). My family tried to cancel and every call was a run around - "we needed a doctors note, we need power of attorney, the account holder had to make the call, etc..". This is just a a scam to try to ring as much money as possible out of elderly people on a fixed income. My friend signed her mom up to a different service with no contracts, it was just as effective in an emergency and was easy to cancel when her mom no longer needed it. It was also much cheaper. Make sure to ask about cancellation when you sign up for one of these services.

Pamela Pucher Skokie, IL

I am the POA for a senior citizen that was signed up for Life Alert by her caregivers who had no legal right to do so. About 18 months after starting Life Alert the senior citizen enter a residential facility. I was made POA during this time and tried to cancel the Life Alert contract to no avail. They would not accept the contract from the facility rather telling me I had to have the facility provide a written letter stating that the resident was under 24 hour care. Many months went by and all the while the monthly payments are coming out of her bank account. Finally when I contact them again several months later to cancel, after the 36 month contract, I am still told that I need a letter from the facility stating that she is staying there long term. I explained the house was sold, the phone number that they are using to monitor her has been disconnected so how can they even be monitoring her and since she has already been in the same facility now for 21 months I would say that constitutes a long term commitment. Still they want a letter before they will cancel. As far as I know, the monitors are prescribed by a doctor, they provide a service that an individual, or in this case an unauthorized individual signed up and agreed to pay for 36 months. If an authorized person asks them to stop the service why don't they do it without making everyone jump thru hoops. There policy is absolutely ridiculous!!! I still wonder why they didn't contact the person on the contract when they realized that there was no connection between the monitoring system and the phone number that had been disconnected. All of her mail was forwarded to me and not once did I get a letter questioning the connection.

Mike Delaware, OH

My parents got life alert in 2007. They moved into assisted living in june 2018 and did not need it as their new living quarters supplied a system as part of the rent. Called them to cancel and they said they needed a letter from the assisted living place. Faxed it to them and they continued to bill them. Called back and they said they never got the letter. Funny that the fax report said it wad sucessful. Faxed it a second time. Billed them again for a second month after disconnected service. Called them again and they said they did not get the second one either!! Put a stop payment on the auto billed card. Two months later they started harassing my dad who is in hospice . Then they called me. They, (The famed retention department)claimed there was a contract and he could not cancel it. Let me see, a three year contract turned into twelve years? Really? So they had me call their tech support to disable the 12 year old equipment. He had me destroy the land line phone jack and was instructed to recycle the unit. They did not want it back. He asked about a mobile device Dad never had such a device. The tech support guy then said their was no balance due and it was cancelled. Five hours later , I got a call from their billing department stating there was a balance of $52 and dad owed them $95 for this supposed mobile device. Dad has spent over $4500 in the last 12 years and used it maybe 6 times. Do the math, $750 per call! It is a total nightmare to cancel the service. Do not use this company. I have never experienced anything like this. Not paying them another dime. Guess they will have to sue the estate, which is zero. Unbelieveable! Beware.

Beverly Cranston, RI

Life Alert is awful. My parents are in their 90s so we got the service for them. When they were unable to live alone, we had and have a 24 hour a day companion. Life Alert refused to cancel the contract. I disconnected the system and changed their credit card. I spoke directly with customer service who accused me of no caring about my parents! Customer service was extremely RUDE!!! Life Alert then contacted my children who are in their 30s to tell them that I was being unreasonable and could they just deal with the grandchildren?! My daughter then pointed out to the rep that I am a lawyer, etc. That's when Life Alert called me to tell me that I was a terrible lawyer and that I didn't know how to read a contract. Contract 101 - contracts are made to bind and are made to be broken. Notification was given to Life Alert per their contract. They continue to send a bill every month for $99 which goes into the circular file. Given all the complaints, I might consider passing this all on to a class action firm!!! Anyone else in??

Kimmy Fort Lauderdale, FL

I called to inquire about this service for my dad. I decided to go with another company The problem is that they keep calling me. They are pushy and rude and unprofessional. They call w to 3 times a day and ask for different people each time. When I tell them I'm not interested or that they have the wrong number, they hang up on me. I can't believe they are in the service industry when they treat me like that. After requesting to be put on their do not call list numerous times, I finally had to block their number. Even if I am not satisfied with the company I chose, I would never try this one based on the sales reps behavior.

Dan Storey Pittsburgh, PA

If I could leave less than one star I would. It is less about the service and more about the hoops that they make you jump through when you need to cancel. I was the account holder and paid for the service for my mother for the past 6 years. My mother's living arrangements changed and she had no need for the service anymore. After 4 phone calls and 2+ hours on the phone, they finally sent me to a tech that had me disable the unit. When I asked to be transferred back to a retention supervisor, he just transferred me to the retention department (again) and would not let me express my displeasure with the runaround and kept citing "the contract". Contract was concluded 3 years ago and it should not be this hard. On top of this, they kept offering to reduce the price if I would stay even though I told them that it was not needed. Do not sign a contract and find the next best option for your needs as you will regret doing business with them.

DUFFY DEITZ Philadelphia, PA

If I could give them -10 stars, I would. This is the worst choice out there. Do NOT, I repeat do NOT go with them!!!!! I had brain surgery and a seizure 3 years ago and couldn't drive. My doctor told me I had to get an alert system if I wanted to go out alone. The only one he knew of and recommended was the "I've fallen and I can't get up" company. He even gave me a brochure about them. I should have done some research before calling and getting roped into an unbreakable contract. Aside from their 3-year, $70/month, $2,520 total commitment, Life Alert also charges for installation, even if you can do it yourself. At the end of the 3-year contract term, when I called to verify that I was done paying, I found out that I also had to cancel my contract so it wouldn't automatically renew. They don't bother to point that out in the beginning. Their customer service department blows! My experience couldn't have been worse. They're departments are in no way connected, so I couldn't give my change of address to the customer service idiot I had to deal with - it's a separate department!!! There's a whole laundry list of complaints that I could enumerate here, but suffice it to say that just because they spend a lot on marketing and advertising, Life Alert SUCKS!!!

Mena Ft. Washington, MD

Look at the rating and considered yourself warned! 1) Vague information given about pricing. 2) They will take your credit card info and send you a device PLUS a three year contract 3) The contract was for 3 years and the only way to get out of contract is if your loved one dies or goes into a nursing home; even then it is hard to cancel 4) Contract will have state that giving them your credit card info means you agree for Life Alert to bill you monthly for 3 years even though you did not agree to it. 5) I immediately cancelled my credit card and returned device at my own expense and wrote on the contract " I do not agree to terms" 6) Please for the love of God, find another company. There are several that allow you to pay monthly and cancel at anytime. 7) Several people have had their credit ruined because they could not keep up with the 3 year terms and tried to cancel. 8) The device is also very ancient. It looks like a device from the 80's 9) Please do not get screwed find a different company that is month to month 5

Patti Loverink Chandler, AZ

When my mom fell and broke her leg, a Life Alert rep did not pick up the phone for about 1 min. and 38 sec. They will say that they have amazing response time, but to me, that was too long for someone on the floor with a broken leg, especially given the price of their service. She was in the hospital for 2 months, ended up going into cardiac arrest and then on life support, and two months later went to a rehab facility. Life Alert would only suspend her service for 2 months, even though she literally still can't stand! What a horrible company! I can't wait until this service expires because we will find another option moving forward. BEWARE of their contract terms! This company lacks compassion in situations like this. Crappy customer service!