Life Alert Emergency Response has been a pioneer of the medical alert system industry since its start in 1987. Popularized by its "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" ad campaign, the Life Alert system has become a household name; the brand is so synonymous with medical alert systems, that many know the medical alert industry simply as the Life Alert industry.

However, despite its well-known name, there are many concerns with its medical alert services. Common Life Alert complaints include scamming tactics, high prices and fees, poor customer service, and lengthy contracts (three years). We highly suggest going with a more reputable company with positive reviews.

Below we have provided you with the Good, Bad, and Bottom Line about Life Alert in order to give you a quick breakdown of the facts to help you decide of Life Alert Emergency Response is the right medical alert system for you or your loved ones.

#1 Medical Guardian chevron_right
#2 LifeStation chevron_right
#3 One Call Alert chevron_right

The Good

• CSAA Five Diamond Certified
  • Free Shipping and Warranty
  • Large Monitoring Call Assistance
  • Transparent about Successful Services
  • Family Notifications
  • Waterproof Pendant
  • Multiple Emergency Services

CSAA Five Diamond Certified

Most medical alert companies should be CSAA five diamond certified if they're worth their salt. This certification implies the company maintains a high-quality call center service.

Free Shipping and Warranty

Life Alert offers free shipping and a free equipment warranty. However, the duration of the warranty is unclear, so you may have to pay for equipment replacement after a certain period of time.

Large Monitoring Call Assistance

Being one of the largest medical alert companies in the industry, Life Alert operates its services with its own monitoring center. A lot of medical alert companies will contract with a third party monitoring center.

Transparent about Successful Services

In 2014, Life Alert assisted authorities in saving approximately 54,490 lives. That's roughly one life saved every 10 minutes!

Family Notifications

At the push of a button, the customer's emergency contact, along with an emergency dispatch unit, will be immediately notified of the problem. This could be a family member, a friend, or a trusted neighbor.

Multiple Emergency Services

Life Alert also offers services for a host of situations aside from an occasional medical emergency. These include fire protection, carbon monoxide gas protection, home intrusion, mobile tracking through GPS, and a cell phone app. These services aren't just for seniors, either.

The Bad

• Three-Year Contract
  • Expensive Service
  • No Automatic Fall Detection
  • Few Equipment Details
  • Poor Website
  • Negative Life Alert Reviews

Three-Year Contract

With a three-year contract, Life Alert locks customers into one of the longest contracts in the industry. Top competitors offer contracts that operate from month-to-month, which provides consumers the peace of mind of not having to buy out of a contract.

Havings such a long contract in an industry that doesn't typically require them is concerning. The company's contract is also one of the most common Life Alert complaints among the majority of its customer reviews. Overall, consumers on our site are not happy with the long-term contract, and they find it difficult, and sometimes impossible, to get out of Life Alert's contract.

Expensive Service

Because Life Alert is so well established in the industry, the company does not frequently rely on or offer discounts on its products and services. Although the company lists that it offers free equipment, shipping, and a warranty on its website, Life Alert is one of the more expensive medical alert providers on the market.

Many medical alert companies have a similar offer of free equipment, free shipping, and a free warranty, but they also include no long-term contracts, free activation, and affordable monthly monitoring (as little as $19.95 per month). Life Alert, on the other hand, requires a three-year contract, charges upwards of $70 per month, and calls for a hefty activation fee of nearly $100.

Many Life Alert reviews also note that the company increases its prices without notice and relies on locking customers into a long-term contract of three years. We suggest being aware of the life alert contract before committing to its services.

No Automatic Fall Detection

Many medical alert systems in the industry today offer automatic fall detection. Automatic fall detection is a medical alert capability that will immediately notify the medical alert company's monitoring center if pendant wearers experience a fall, even if they cannot press the button themselves. It's a way to give users peace of mind that they do not have to do anything on their part if they experience a fall; the medical alert company will take care of contacting emergency responders if necessary.

Life Alert does not currently offer any products with fall detection capability. This is definitely a con of Life Alert, especially since most medical alert companies offer fall detection features.

Few Equipment Details

The website offers next to no information on equipment details or company policies. In comparison to other companies that offer transparent details on multiple medical alert devices, this is concerning.

According to the company's website, a Life Alert medical alert device does include the typical base station and an alert button that can be worn as a pendant or a wristband, a backup battery life of 72 hours, and US-based monitoring services.

There is no information on other medical alert service features such as two-way communication, automatic fall detection, and built-in GPS tracking.

Most medical alert companies are transparent about their equipment and offerings online, so it is worrying that Life Alert is selective about what little information it does share on its website.

Poor Website

The Life Alert website appears as though it hasn't been redesigned in many years. It seems outdated and difficult to navigate, especially since there is no live chat available.

Life Alert provides limited details on its website regarding its specific offerings, and the company requests that you call in for a brochure to receive pricing and other information. Many people in Life Alert's customer reviews note that after calling to receive a brochure, they received endless follow-up calls even after expressing their disinterest in the company.

Negative Life Alert Reviews

The majority of Life Alert reviews are overwhelmingly negative, many of them noting that the company locks you into a long-term contract (36-month contract) and then makes it extremely difficult (or refuses completely) to allow customers to cancel its medical alert services. Many customers also mention scamming tactics, including upping the prices without notice, having faulty equipment, and neglecting customer service quality.

One customer addresses Life Alert as a scam: "It is a scam. Once you sign up [Life alert] uses every tactic to frustrate your ability to end the service...They get you to sign up for one amount and then jack up your monthly fee unilaterally."

Another frustrated consumer says something similar: "[Life Alert] locks you into a contract and makes it nearly impossible to cancel...This is just a scam to try to ring as much money as possible out of elderly people on a fixed income."

With such negative feedback, we highly suggest going with an alternative medical alert provider with positive reviews and a trustworthy reputation.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

The Bottom Line

Life Alert Emergency Response is not the best system on the market. While Life Alert as a company has many positives such as the coveted CSAA five diamond certification, its high installation fee ($95-$295), hefty long-term contracts (three years), and average system features should encourage potential buyers to explore Life Alert alternatives. Read Life Alert reviews below to see what customers have to say about the Life Alert's medical alert systems and customer service. Unfortunately, the majority of Life Alert reviews are negative, and we suggest going with a more reputable medical alert company.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

1.1

John

January 16th, 2020 Wimberley, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Life alert is horrible . They will not allow you to disconnect service. Run away from them.

Andrew

December 31st, 2019 Spokane, WA

Scott B is one of the most disrespectful person I’ve ever talk to he called my mom that’s 78 and trued to strong arm her then when I spoke to him I Tried to explain that the service was to Expensive after I hung up the phone with him he repeatedly to call me back 5 to 6 times and he called my mother and told her that I wanted her to get the box and that she needed to order it right then even know such conversation was ever spoke about I have never experienced such a hard aggressive tactics against elderly people except for the scams you see on TV he should be ashamed of yourself by an elderly people and trying to buy your product

Anne Breckbill

December 12th, 2019 Saint Paul, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Please don't do it! (Wishing for a zero star option) My mother has been a long-term (over 5 years) LifeAlert customer and has thankfully never needed it. She is losing ground cognitively and is easily confused and anxious. She is moving to an assisted living center where she does not need the Life Alert service. I called to cancel the month-to-month contract and got my mother on the phone to give verbal consent. The customer service rep would not let me speak, would not let mom cancel, was fear-mongering, pressuring, badgering, and insisted that mom tell her exactly what type of alert system the new place will have - something mom can't even do about her current system with Life Alert. She then asserted that she really "must advise her" to make her own decisions about her safety (i.e. not be influenced by me and implying that she is not "safe"). In the end, we were unable to cancel for the end of the month (she is paid through the end of the month) because if we canceled today she would not be covered for the next 10 days (till I arrive there) EVEN THOUGH SHE HAS PAID FOR THEM! Having read other reviews, I suspect that once I do get there and we cancel we stand the chance of having to pay another month due to them needing a 30-day notice. I guess we'll see. The way she spoke with my mom WITH ME ON THE LINE could be used as a primer of how to take advantage of the elderly. Lord knows what would happen without a witness. In the end, we got off of the phone and mom was completely confused about the outcome and believes that the service has been canceled. It has not. This is a company that puts their resources into gaining new customers and making it hard to leave. Thankfully, I have no knowledge of how they actually do with seniors if emergencies happen, but if the interaction I just witnessed is AT ALL reflective of how interested they are in the actual well-being of seniors, run - don't walk - away from Life Alert.

David W Schroeder

December 10th, 2019 El Cajon, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Set up services for my 86 year old Mother. Her husband my step father is in the last stages of Alezheimers. So I paid 15 months into the plan and she has very bad arthritis in her knees and hands and is unable to use the device. So she stopped wearing it. I called the company and they reminded me of the 36 month contract which I understand. I asked if the device could be redistributed to my sister who could use it and they said unlikely and the process is complicated and specific forms would have to be submitted. Very disappointing. So I'm not paying for another 21 months with no benefit. The business practice is very non-consumer friendly and is very bottom line focused. I will never recommend Life Alert to anyone. This has been a very bad experience. They were completely inflexible.

B. Black

November 27th, 2019 Sylvania, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

After over 3 years of being a client, upon having my mother having to go into hospice for her final days, I called life Alert to ask that the account be cancelled at months end. To which they replied that I had to have the care facility fax them on the care faculties letterhead that she was going into there facility. Even though they said I am month to month now and can cancel at anytime. I can not. $98.00 a month for over 3 years and they refuse to allow me to cancel!!

Desooze

October 23rd, 2019 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Beware the heartless customer service of Life Alert! Seniors are their primary customers and yet they do not run their business with compassion or understanding that 3 year contracts are absurd for this demographic with negative life changes that come on rapidly and often unexpectedly. Death seems the only way out of a contract on an overpriced system! I hope when the parents of these customer service/ management/owners of Life Alert become infirm ......or heaven forbid themselves .......that they will not use their own Life Alert system! Go elsewhere folks! There are better and more affordable systems with no contracts at all .......and kind caring folks “behind the curtain” ready to help your loved one navigate the perils of aging!

Maria

October 17th, 2019 Bolingbrook, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Life Alert absolutely refuses to cancel the contract. There have been a number of false alarms. The paramedics have come to my house twice in the past 24 hours. Once at 3:30 in the morning. I called Life Alert and asked them to turn off the unit and they refused.

Florence Donoghue

October 8th, 2019 Ojai, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is a horrible company!! They had me sign a contract for service and didn't explain that it was for 36 months. They deny this, but they are predators and fraudulent in their practices, praying on seniors! Do not sign up with this company and never for 36 months. When I spoke to them all they could do was regurgitate there script.

Ginger Barnes

September 25th, 2019 Boulder, CO

I called Life Alert twice to get some pricing as my mom just passed away and I needed something for my dad. They hung up on me twice because I would not give them my full address. I just had 2 questions and hey would not answer them for me- I was told they are in "the free brochure they will mail me" So ridiculous. They just lost a customer.

Warren Solomon

September 24th, 2019 Bayside, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

There are so many reputable companies providing the same type of product. No regard for the changing status of seniors. My stepdad purchased a plan following my mother’s death as we told him he could no longer be alone. With time he became increasingly less able to care for himself and we called LifeAlert to cancel or at least amend the contract as the family would now care for him. We were told by Tina M., a very smug and sarcastic women that we should prove it. We were than passed to Jasmine in the retention dept and she rudely stated that we would pay until 11/2021. And we had better not attempt to mail the button and other paraphernalia back or she would bill us when she mailed it back to us. Spoke to the bank about stopping payments and they knew LifeAlert well. Stated that LifeAlert will changes one number on the computerized request and it will go through. We have currently filed complaints with 3 govt and private agencies. We may not get anywhere but at least the name of this scamming company will be out there. Go anywhere else but this disreputable group.

Lissette

August 16th, 2019 Burbank, CA

The people at life alert harass you and hang up on you when they don’t make a sale. With this type os salesmanship, I would be very cautious and apprehensive of a purchase of this sort for a loved one. Extremely disappointed with a company that’s suppose to help those is delicate and fragile stages.

Stefanie

July 23rd, 2019 Revere, MA

After I called for a free brochure, I was prompted to another agent to answer my questions about the product. That agent was the rudest person I've ever talked to. He was ageist and asked if a young adult like me can afford life alert for my grandmother. Once he told me the price of my plan per month I said I would think about it IF he answered my questions on the product first. He hung up on me. He immediately called me back from a different number and told me that I was wasting his time. It's his job to answer my questions about the product; that's why I was transferred to him after signing up for a free brochure.

Cherilyn Schultz

June 18th, 2019 Butternut, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I actually did not go with Life Alert. I looked into a number of services, and felt this was not for me. One reason was the cost of the purchase. The rep kept calling and calling, after I declined to use them, telling them why, and that I was going with another company. She still kept calling, which I truly felt was way out of line. As a sidebar reason, she could never say my name correctly, which is something that annoys me no end. I kept telling her how, it really is simple after I tell you, but obviously too hard for her. Just like it was too hard for her to understand I did not wish to use them. I finally got a new phone, which allowed me to block numbers from calling me. Yea! No more Life Alert!!! I really dodged a big problem from everything I am reading here. I just wanted to add that if you inquire about them, they will not leave you alone.

terry natte

June 12th, 2019 Grand Rapids, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Life aleret is a terrible company my wife fell in the shower pressed the life alert button they never called she laid there for 2 hours and was finally able to get up they are so crooked I am telling every one not to ever sign up with life alert and there contract is to long , warning to every one don't use these criminals

J Butler

May 28th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am dealing with trying to cancel my mother's service. She is experiencing dementia and has no ability to cope with customer service procedures. She recently moved into an assisted living facility. When I called Life Alert to cancel I was quizzed aggresdively as to whether my mother would be located in a place that had 24 hour nursing care available as well as a pendant. Then I was told that she would have to submit a letter from her new residence on their letterhead stating that she would no longer need the service. When I explained that was not possible for her to do, and that I had power of attorney over her affairs and was legally entitled to cancel her acvount, I was told to email the power of attorney documents to them and they "would then call me to discuss canceling the account". That conversation took place a couple days later. I was instructed at that point that I would have to be in front of the equipment to press some kind of button to cancel the service, and this was the only way to disable the account. This did not sit well with me, because I live 100 miles away. He cited a page on a contract I had no knoqledge of and insisted this was the only way I could cancel the account, for someone to enter my mother's former residence and press this button. Of course, she has moved and the phone line is non-active, and no family members live nearby. I expressed my frustration at these ridiculous requirements and asked why they couldn't have told me these things when I was at her home helping her move at the time I made the first call and was told to submit the POA and they would call me to "discuss" canceling. When I told the customer service person that they should have informed of the need to press the precious button when I called the first time, the response was "I'm sorry you feel that way." My response, "You're sorry I feel that way? What a ridiculous thing to say." I was fairly ticked off by now. The customer service agent then hung up on me. I called back and was connected after a long wait to a supervisor. I explained the situation and she told me I had the option of paying $300 for the equipment now in order to cancel the service and that the $300 would be returned if I sent the equipment back within 30 days. I asked why didn't the first person I spoke with tell me that was an option, and was told they would review the recording of the phone call. That is where things stand currently. I would imagine these kinds of situations arise often, where a family member living our of town who has no idea of a "contract" or its provisions tries to cancel an accout on behalf of someone who is no longer able to do so. Unstead of being transparent, helpful, and forthcoming with information, the Life Alert people made it as difficult, inconvenient and frustrating as possible. Instead of explaining the contract and its provisions for canceling right off the bat, they doled out information as reluctantly as possible. It leaves me feeling that instead of being helpful, this is a company that is actively trying to take advantage of those family members in the aftermath of difficult situations. They know the contract, family members who are trying to deal with the affairs of their parents very likely don't, and often may not have access to it. That's shameful behavior. They could do much better and be far more friendly and helpful to people needing to cancel service because of changes in life situations. I would encourage any older person looking for such services to bypass Life Alert.

Michael L Walton

May 28th, 2019 San Marcos, CA

Life alert is in the business of senior abuse when selling their product with a contract to seniors who cannot afford their exorbitant prices. They told me that the only way for a senior to get out of the contract was to die. The senior who ordered it has dementia, they did not care. He is also on a fixed and very limiited income. They have no compassion.

S. Fusaro

May 20th, 2019 East Norwich, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have to give a star to write a review. Life alert is a scam. This company plays on peoples fears. They suck you into 3 year contracts that you didn't know you are even in. When you try to cancel they give you the run around and transfer you to different people and departments. They ask you to provide documentation such as a health care proxies, death certificates, doctors notes, etc the list goes on just to get more money out of people. This is the lowest of the low. They prey on senior citizens and their families. This is not a life saving device, you do not need to have a doctors note to get this device. Beware and stay away this is a money making scam. Life alert needs to be shut down, and doors closed.

scott

May 10th, 2019 Grand Ledge, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Service is fine, but good luck trying to cancel it. I'm the DPoA and my mother is going into an assisted care facility and they're making me just through hoops to cancel the service. I told them 'how about I just stop paying you as noone live there'. Their response and I quote "you'll be sent to collections...have a nice day sir' and they hung up. Horrible customer service. I can tell you I won't be using them again for other family members.

Jim

May 9th, 2019 Seattle, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We're two years into the three year contract. My parents (both in their 80's) live in their home in southern California, while I'm way up in Seattle. They've activated the system twice after falls, and all worked exactly as described. LifeAlert's dispatcher contacted emergency services, and paramedics were onsite in minutes. I received a notification call in both cases, keeping me informed. This service allows my parents to stay in their home, where they prefer to be. Worth every penny for peace of mind. Their website and ability to interact online (for billing changes, etc.) is a bit underwhelming.

Karen

May 9th, 2019 Murtaugh, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Don't get Life Alert! My dad has been trying to get out of his contract for 2 months now. He is now living with me and under 24 hour care. His equipment is in another state in storage. They told him he needed a letter stating he now had 24 hour care. Sent that. Then they wanted license numbers of caretaker. Sent that. Now they are saying it needs to be on a letterhead. They previously said no letterhead needed as the caretaker was his granddaughter. They are giving us the runaround just to keep getting money. I'm all in for a class action suit. We need to stop these thieves from ripping off the elderly.

BHarley

April 24th, 2019 Bluffton, SC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I could give zero stars, I would. They sold me on the system for my parents under the false pretense that if my parents passed away during the contract period, they would actually refund my money & end the contract. My father passed away & he was my mother’s primary caregiver. She has severe dementia. She cannot use the system - nor even understands what it’s for. It’s useless. Nevertheless, since she is being cared for by family & has not been “put in a home”, they are holding me to 2.5 more years of contract at $100 per month. This company does not care about the elderly. They care about the dollars.

sheila k treece

April 24th, 2019 Lafayette, IN

I mistakenly called to request a brochure. I started receiving harassing phone calls not only to my home number, but also to my work number! I told them repeatedly I was not interested and do not call me back. Several weeks later, I received another phone call at work. So much for requesting some harmless information, turned into a stalking situation.

Amy

April 10th, 2019 Birmingham, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is a terrible company. You cannot get out of the contract. When my mother accidently activated the button around her neck, it came on so loud and scared her to death. She was traumatized and refused to use it again. For 3 years we have been paying for it and it has not even been in her house. They do not care whether they help you or not, or whether you are happy with their service or not. Highly recommend you seek alternatives.

Sylvia's Daughter

April 8th, 2019 Hollywood, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We ordered Life Alert for my mom who was living independently. When my mom could no longer care for herself, we moved her with my sister who cared for her around the clock. During the last months of my mom's life, she was kept sedated in Hospice and had no use for the Life Alert. After watching my mom suffer for months, Life Alert caused more stress and heartache. They would NOT cancel the contract. They didn't care about anything I said. Their answer was get a letter from Hospice (is that all I am thinking of while watching my mom die) OR pay and wait until I can provide a Death Certificate. UNLESS YOU KNOW FOR SURE YOU WILL USE THE SYSTEM UNTIL THE END OF THE CONTRACT, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY......

Raymond

April 4th, 2019 Diamond Bar, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It is a scam. Once you sign up they use every tactic to frustrate your ability to end the service. It is so frustrating. They get you to sign up for one amount and then jack up your monthly fee unilaterally. When you are signing up, it’s all peaches until you demand to end it and then the run around starts. Usually, they’ll have a “lady” take over and she’ll use every avenue to frustrate your ability to end the contract. She would tell you it’s only the old folks covered by the account who can speak to them about cancellation. And when you argue, as I did, I was told they can only speak to my wife; even though it was I who signed up. I then got my wife on the phone and suddenly it was a statement that it would take a really long time to “discuss” the account. When my wife stated that she was busy and just wanted them to end the service, as she had requested on multiple occasions previously; the “lady” starts again with “the service isn’t ending until we discuss with you.” Meanwhile, my wife is now practically yelling at her to simply cancel the service and the lady is insisting that they must “discuss” the account. While all this is going on, they are busy debiting my account each month. I even had my bank try to stop their debit and those crooks responded to my bank with allegations of a valid contract. In short, avoid these crooks like the plague. I will surely prospect for a class action against them. They do not deserve to be in business. A bunch of crooks!

Dianne

March 20th, 2019 Hutchinson, KS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'm ready to call the Better Business Bureau on these scoundrels... I sent back my mothers machine in April of last year and they keep sending letters and calling. They said for me to give them the tracking number that I used when sending the machine back and I did. They said thaust they couldn't find the machine. One of the people called and I told them about what we did and he said that he would take care of taking our name off the list. Well it is March of the next year and they are still hounding us. Finally they sent a bill for one whole year....my mother has dementia and has been in a living center for this whole time they have been harassing us. Do not use them...there are other ones to try...what a bunch of losers.

Jeffrey Karpe

March 1st, 2019 Cincinnati, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Life Alert is the classic model of fleecing the elderly with fine print and automatic deductions from the bank account. My father had Life Alert for almost 10 years, and recently went into a nursing home. Even after receiving a letter from the nursing home stating that my father had 24/7 nursing care, Life Alert refused to cancel the service without a $300 early cancel fee. I finally had to get my bank to stop all future payments to this unethical organization.

Trixie Hahn

February 26th, 2019 Escondido, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible experience. Mom tried to cancel on second day after install, within the 3 day cooling off period required by California state law. Company refused despite certified letter. She disconnected the device that same day, and it was 6 days before Life Alert noticed and texted to ask if she needed medical help

Alice Treadwell

February 7th, 2019 Montgomery, AL

Ordered system, Life Alert sent a representative to help install equipment and it would not work properly, the representative took the equipment with her from my home but never returned it to the company, therefore my credit Card has been charged twice, once for 196.00$ and another 71.96.. life alert refuses to credit my account! Don’t do business with this company as they take advantage of senior citizens instead of there claim to help them! Alice Treadwell

janalee sanders

February 4th, 2019 Valley Center, CA

my grandmother had this and it was literally a life saver! I was on the receiving end of a phone call because she had fallen. the best thing is that it puts the whole family at ease because we can get help quickly if needed

Jim

January 16th, 2019 White Plains, NY

DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR PHONE NUMBER!! I made the mistake of calling them simply for a brochure for my mother. Now they call EVERY DAY twice a day! I got so angry at the woman tonight I told her I was blocking her number and already signed up with another service. DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY OF YOUR INFORMATION!!

Russ

January 9th, 2019 Anaconda, MT

DO NOT CALL THEM! THEY WILL HOUND YOU TO DEATH! I made the mistake of calling them and they will not stop calling me back. I blocked their number and they started texting me. I told Salesman Larry that I went with someone else and now Alex is calling me. They are high pressure sales and want to push the most expensive system on you. I simply wanted something for my mother when she is at home. Larry told me they do not have a system like this and just kept pushing me at this $99/ month system. BS!! I got what I needed from another vendor for $19.95/ month. I think Life Alert gouges it's customers.

Carrie V

December 31st, 2018 Lakewood, WA

These Lifealert people try and scare you away from other similar type products. They tell you other similar products have left people laying on floors for 30+ hours because of a dead battery. The medical alert program does not require charging a battery each night like Lifealert indicated. My grandma who had fallen twice in two weeks could not afford Lifealert expensive fees and almost quit looking for this type help which in my opinion put her at a greater risk. I am so livid wit Her lofealert for this kind of high pressure tactics on the elderly. This is a type of elder abuse and I wish I could do more about it than just a review.

Cindy Lang

December 18th, 2018 Bristol, CT

WARNING DO NOT BUY THIS SYSTEM- we needed the system and were put on hold - called 911 and got immediate response and paramedics before they even came on the line. Worst system ever. Now that my parent is under 24 hour care they will not let us cancel the contract because family members are her care givers - what a rip off - they are taking advantage of our seniors/ still billing my parent for a system that is of no use to her.

San

December 18th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ

I have been in the senior industry for over 18 years and I have referred this company to my clients, but not any longer. This ad states it may be offensive and it is! They are using fear tacit to sell their product which they know is offensive, but it seems they really don't care. There are other good companies around that offers the same type of product and are sensitive to the consumer. I am retired now, but I still receive calls for referrals and will not give this companies name out.

Cathy G

December 10th, 2018 Huntington Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would give negative stars if i could. DO NOT subscribe to Life Alert. They lock you into a contract and make it nearly impossible to cancel. As my dad's dementia worsened, he was no longer capable of using (he pushed the button when he didn't need help, and wouldn't understand to push it if he). My family tried to cancel and every call was a run around - "we needed a doctors note, we need power of attorney, the account holder had to make the call, etc..". This is just a a scam to try to ring as much money as possible out of elderly people on a fixed income. My friend signed her mom up to a different service with no contracts, it was just as effective in an emergency and was easy to cancel when her mom no longer needed it. It was also much cheaper. Make sure to ask about cancellation when you sign up for one of these services.

Art Scott

December 10th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Piece of crap . I'm paying for a service but they don't service their equipment . When ever there's a problem somebody on the phone wants to walk me through fixing it , they charge to send a tech to fix their freaking equipment . That's bullshit! Moms old and I have a job ! Searching to replace these sick weeds with someone who will send help !

Shary

December 7th, 2018 Chagrin Falls, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My unit is not working. I don’t know why it just stopped working! I called the company to report it and was told they are only available Monday thru Friday, 8-5. It is Saturday...so I’ll try not to fall! What a bunch!

Julia Hemeon

November 30th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I got the service for my elderly aunt because she was leaving on her own. Now not even a year later, her cancer has come back, and currently being treated, so therefor When she cane back from the hospital, I brought her to my home. She is going to have private duty nurses and 3 others that Medicare will provide. I called to cancel the service, and they told me that the contract is for 3 yrs and there is not a way to get out of it.

Lucy bradley

November 28th, 2018 Waco, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

A couple of months ago I had an emergency I hit the button on the machine It kept saying Please wait I would have had a much quicker response by calling 911

Eric

November 26th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We use Life Alert for my older mother who has some medical issues. Thank goodness she has not yet fallen and had to use it but she is seizure prone so she always wears it just in case. It certainly lifts a weight off of my shoulders to know that she can push that button if something happens and help will be on the way immediately. Thank you Life Alert for peace of mind. Life Alerts customer service was great when setting up my mothers system.

Pamela Pucher

November 7th, 2018 Skokie, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am the POA for a senior citizen that was signed up for Life Alert by her caregivers who had no legal right to do so. About 18 months after starting Life Alert the senior citizen enter a residential facility. I was made POA during this time and tried to cancel the Life Alert contract to no avail. They would not accept the contract from the facility rather telling me I had to have the facility provide a written letter stating that the resident was under 24 hour care. Many months went by and all the while the monthly payments are coming out of her bank account. Finally when I contact them again several months later to cancel, after the 36 month contract, I am still told that I need a letter from the facility stating that she is staying there long term. I explained the house was sold, the phone number that they are using to monitor her has been disconnected so how can they even be monitoring her and since she has already been in the same facility now for 21 months I would say that constitutes a long term commitment. Still they want a letter before they will cancel. As far as I know, the monitors are prescribed by a doctor, they provide a service that an individual, or in this case an unauthorized individual signed up and agreed to pay for 36 months. If an authorized person asks them to stop the service why don't they do it without making everyone jump thru hoops. There policy is absolutely ridiculous!!! I still wonder why they didn't contact the person on the contract when they realized that there was no connection between the monitoring system and the phone number that had been disconnected. All of her mail was forwarded to me and not once did I get a letter questioning the connection.

Evelia Rosso

November 6th, 2018 Gilroy, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I fell for the advertisements of Life Alert and mistakenly signed a three year agreement! Big mistake... Slot happens in three years. I want to cancel after a year and I am not allowed because of the contract. We have not used the devices for three months and I amn paying $90. a month for the next 6 months even though I am cancelling! What a rip off!! Do your homework who’re signing! Evelia Rosso Ca

Paula

October 24th, 2018 Granville, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

A total rip off company!! Tried to cancel and got nothing but harassment from them. They threatened to sue--for what? Not needing the service anymore? DON'T EVER USE THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU ENJOY HARASSMENT, RED TAPE, AND LIFETIME AND BEYOND CONTRACTS.

Mike

October 23rd, 2018 Delaware, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My parents got life alert in 2007. They moved into assisted living in june 2018 and did not need it as their new living quarters supplied a system as part of the rent. Called them to cancel and they said they needed a letter from the assisted living place. Faxed it to them and they continued to bill them. Called back and they said they never got the letter. Funny that the fax report said it wad sucessful. Faxed it a second time. Billed them again for a second month after disconnected service. Called them again and they said they did not get the second one either!! Put a stop payment on the auto billed card. Two months later they started harassing my dad who is in hospice . Then they called me. They, (The famed retention department)claimed there was a contract and he could not cancel it. Let me see, a three year contract turned into twelve years? Really? So they had me call their tech support to disable the 12 year old equipment. He had me destroy the land line phone jack and was instructed to recycle the unit. They did not want it back. He asked about a mobile device Dad never had such a device. The tech support guy then said their was no balance due and it was cancelled. Five hours later , I got a call from their billing department stating there was a balance of $52 and dad owed them $95 for this supposed mobile device. Dad has spent over $4500 in the last 12 years and used it maybe 6 times. Do the math, $750 per call! It is a total nightmare to cancel the service. Do not use this company. I have never experienced anything like this. Not paying them another dime. Guess they will have to sue the estate, which is zero. Unbelieveable! Beware.

Jackson

October 9th, 2018 Melbourne, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The worst! The contract said they would GPS CLIENTS ANYWHERE... SHOWING PEOPLE GOLFING,. WALKING.... ANYWHERE. When they reported my alert went off...they didn't do a GPS location and sent the FIRE DEPARTMENT...WHO BROKE DOWN MY DOOR...WHEN I WAS NOT HOME AND LEFT ME WITH 1,777.83 BILL TO REPLACE THE DOOR. THEY REFUSED TO PAY ANYTHING AND CONTINUE TO BILL ME...EVEN THOUGH THE DEVICE WAS SHUT OFF AND RETURN TO COMPANY.

Kimmy

September 27th, 2018 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I called to inquire about this service for my dad. I decided to go with another company The problem is that they keep calling me. They are pushy and rude and unprofessional. They call w to 3 times a day and ask for different people each time. When I tell them I'm not interested or that they have the wrong number, they hang up on me. I can't believe they are in the service industry when they treat me like that. After requesting to be put on their do not call list numerous times, I finally had to block their number. Even if I am not satisfied with the company I chose, I would never try this one based on the sales reps behavior.

Beverly

September 24th, 2018 Cranston, RI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Life Alert is awful. My parents are in their 90s so we got the service for them. When they were unable to live alone, we had and have a 24 hour a day companion. Life Alert refused to cancel the contract. I disconnected the system and changed their credit card. I spoke directly with customer service who accused me of no caring about my parents! Customer service was extremely RUDE!!! Life Alert then contacted my children who are in their 30s to tell them that I was being unreasonable and could they just deal with the grandchildren?! My daughter then pointed out to the rep that I am a lawyer, etc. That's when Life Alert called me to tell me that I was a terrible lawyer and that I didn't know how to read a contract. Contract 101 - contracts are made to bind and are made to be broken. Notification was given to Life Alert per their contract. They continue to send a bill every month for $99 which goes into the circular file. Given all the complaints, I might consider passing this all on to a class action firm!!! Anyone else in??

Dan Storey

August 21st, 2018 Pittsburgh, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I could leave less than one star I would. It is less about the service and more about the hoops that they make you jump through when you need to cancel. I was the account holder and paid for the service for my mother for the past 6 years. My mother's living arrangements changed and she had no need for the service anymore. After 4 phone calls and 2+ hours on the phone, they finally sent me to a tech that had me disable the unit. When I asked to be transferred back to a retention supervisor, he just transferred me to the retention department (again) and would not let me express my displeasure with the runaround and kept citing "the contract". Contract was concluded 3 years ago and it should not be this hard. On top of this, they kept offering to reduce the price if I would stay even though I told them that it was not needed. Do not sign a contract and find the next best option for your needs as you will regret doing business with them.

Kathleen

August 14th, 2018 Dacula, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My mother had life alert for 8 years at 89.00 a month. She used it three times. We now have 24 hour care and I have been unable to cancel it for 6 months and finally two months ago had it cancelled. Or so I thought! They have continued billing us. I am back in the loop trying to resolve the overpaid amount and AGAIN try to cancel and have them stop billing us!!!!!