Life Alert

Life Alert

Life Alert Emergency Response has been a pioneered of the medical alert system industry since its start in 1987. Popularized by its "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" ad campaign, the Life Alert system has become a household name; the brand is so synonymous with medical alert systems, that many know the medical alert industry simply as the Life Alert industry.

Ever used Life Alert Emergency Response? Leave a review and help the next person. Comments run through our comment moderation process. All consumer reviews are verified Real Reviews.

Below we have provided you with the Good, Bad, and Bottom Line about Life Alert in order to give you a quick breakdown of the facts to help you decide of Life Alert Emergency Response is the right medical alert system for you or your loved ones.

Rank Chart Our Score User Score
#1 9.1 8.6 Read Review
#2 8.8 9.1 Read Review
#3 6.7 8.5 Read Review
#37 3.1 1.6 Current

The Good

• CSAA five diamond certified
  • Free equipment, shipping, and warranty
  • Large monitoring call assistance
  • Transparent about successful services
  • Family notifications
  • Waterproof pendant
  • Additional types of protection

Life Alert has remained consistent in a growing and evolving industry for nearly three decades. The company has so far stood the test of time, accumulating a strong reputation in the market, not to mention a number of awards and accolades along the way.

Areas where Life Alert Excels:

CSAA Five Diamond Certified

Not many medical alert companies are CSAA five diamond certified. This certification implies the company maintains a high-quality call center service.

Free Equipment, Shipping, and Warranty

Not only is the warranty absolutely free, but it also lasts for the lifetime of the equipment.

Large Monitoring Call Assistance

Being one of the largest medical alert companies in the industry, Life Alert operates its services with its own monitoring center.

Transparent about Successful Services

In 2014, Life Alert assisted authorities in saving approximately 54,490 lives-that's roughly one life saved every 10 minutes!

Family Notifications

At the push of a button, the customer's emergency contact, along with a emergency dispatch unit, will be immediately notified of the problem.

Waterproof Pendant

The waterproof pendant is especially handy when facing in-bathroom emergencies.

Additional Types of Protection

Life Alert also offers fire protection, CO gas protection, home intrusion, mobile tracking through GPS, and a mobile app.

Summary of The Good:

The Life Alert system offers simplistic equipment ideal for people who don't want to fuss with a lot of buttons or complicated gadgets. This system also enables customers to have more than just medical protection by providing services such as fire and carbon monoxide detection. The Emergency Help Phone is also a great feature that allows you to get help even when you're not at home.

The Bad

• 3-year contract
  • Installation fees
  • No discounts
  • Poor Glassdoor rating
  • No auto fall detection
  • Equipment details

While Life Alert Emergency Response has enjoyed enormous success in years past, the company's main weaknesses stem from average-quality equipment, its limited services, a subpar website, and more. To compete with top medical alert system companies, Life Alert should consider decreasing its contract length, improving equipment, and eliminating its startup fees.

Areas where Life Alert Could Improve:

3-Year Contract

At three years, Life Alert locks customers into one of the lengthiest contracts in the industry.

Installation Fees

While the company offers free equipment, shipping, and warranty, it also charges a high installation fee. Top medical alert companies charge zero installation fees.

No Discounts

Because Life Alert is so well established in the industry, the company does not rely on or offer discounts on its products and services.

Poor Glassdoor Rating

While not part of our ranking criteria, Life Alert has a 1.7 out of 5-star rating on Glassdoor; Glassdoor ratings are submitted by current or former employees, suggesting Life Alert may not be a great place to work.

No Auto Fall Detection

Many medical alert systems in the industry today offer auto fall detection. Life Alert does not currently offer any products with auto fall detection capability.

Equipment Details

The website offers next to no information on equipment details or company policies.

Summary of The Bad:

This system has expensive activation and installation fees which far exceed the industry average. Another concern is the lack of information on the company website. Consumers are simply prompted to call in for pricing and system details which adds extra inconvenience. Life Alert's three-year contract for service is much longer competing systems in the industry. And as little information on products and services is offered upfront, customers are required to sign a lengthy contract without knowing fully what they're getting themselves into.

Learn more about Life Alert Alternatives by clicking here.

The Bottom Line

Life Alert Emergency Response is not the best system on the market. While Life Alert as a company has many positives, such the coveted CSAA five diamond certification, its high installation fee ($95-$295), lengthy contract (3-years), and average system should encourage potential buyers to explore some Life Alert alternatives.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

47 Life Alert Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

September 18th, 2017 Mission, TX

I called for information. A fast talking salesman had me committed to a 3 yr. contract before I knew it. Was unable to cancel. Would not recommend it.

3 0

September 15th, 2017

Beware of life alerts lack of customer service and billing after you get into a contract. Poor website. No chat online. Taking advantage of older folks.

7 0

August 23rd, 2017 Sanford, ME

My elderly father called when my Mom had fallen. They asked a million questions. My father had to hang up and dial 911 himself. Now my Mom has passed and he has no use for the system. We want to buy out the contract but try to get a straight answer. My Dad spoke to them yesterday and they said 1/2 price $35 a month. Today I was quoted both $49 and $59. they want a pay off figure of $1618.55. Another rep said we could have the trial period pricing for the rest of the contract and they would want $719.40 to buy out the contract. These people prey on the elderly. I have never seen my Father so angry and upset in 89 years. We are going to a lawyer tomorrow. Rather give the money to a lawyer than these scam artists.

10 1

August 21st, 2017 Perris, CA

I am so frustrated. I need to cancel my contract but the buyout cost is over $1,000 which I can't do. I don't remember them telling me that this was a 3 year contract since I am elderly and would never sign a contract for 3 years. I want out but I have to provide them with either the money or a letter from a residential location where I may move in several months. This service is awful.

9 1

August 15th, 2017 Somis, CA

I have been trying to cancel this service for my mom, who has dementia, for 3 months. It is a total run around. They transferred me to 3 different places. The agents are trained to make it as difficult as possible. One agent told me he could not send me to the Tech department to explain how to "de-activate" the unit, because I did not have it with me (my mom unplugged it many months ago) and this was after he told me that it was not necessary for it to be connected or plugged in for the process. Wow! It must be a magic trick or something to de-activate it! Now they are sending me Past Due notices because I put a stop through the bank on the automatic payment. Life Alert should be ashamed!!

10 0

August 9th, 2017

Gave them my moms address to send brochure and they somehow got her phone # and started calling and harassing her. Called two different numbers to put her on do not call list and they both hung up on me. They lost me as a customer. Glad I read these reviews, these people do not care!

11 0

August 5th, 2017 Marshville, NC

Six years of poor customer service Impossible to cancel. Still trying to get out of contract seemingly reknews itself without my permission. Stuck.

15 1

July 19th, 2017

Worst experience in my 77 years. High pressure. Take advantage of the elderly. Dishonest. Customer Service is horrible. Downright rude. Scam artists. This company is in business of ripping off clients. They lie!!

22 1

July 17th, 2017 Houston, TX

Company representatives lie to get your contract. State that if you wand to cancel, all you need is a doctor's letter stating that service is no longer need. I had service for 1.8 years, then need it no longer and they refuse to cancel my contract, even though I have a doctor's letter. RIP OFF!! THEY LIE!!

18 0

June 27th, 2017

My grandmother had fallen and was unconscious for TWO hours and obviously was then not able to push her button. I went to check on her and found her. Therefore she looked elsewhere for a system with fall detection. She found a system and called to cancelled life alert, however was notified she was in a three year contract, something she was unaware of. She had asked in the beginning if there was a contract and was told no by Alicia. When on the phone with contract rep JR he insisted over and over she signed a contract and was spoke in the rudest wayI have ever heard an individual speak to someone, especially a kind older woman such as my grandmother. He kept telling her they had the best service and she signed a contract so she basically could not do anything. He was condescending and spoke as though she was stupid for trying to get another system that would actually help her needs. I have never personally been so upset with a customer service call and hope no one has to go through what my sweet grandma is going through. All she wants is to be safe and life alert is actually keeping her from getting the help she needs.

23 0

June 13th, 2017 Lovington, NM

I did not review anything about this company before I got it.Had to use it when I fell in the bathroom on the Base.Did not get anything but put on hold.They contacted my daughter not my wife,said daughter was only name on emergency contact.They thought I was home and had fallen in my bathroom not 40 miles away.Called them next day and told them to come get thei stuff and cancel my service.They said I couldn't,had 3 year contract.Am thinking of getting a lawyer and fighting it.Had Medical alert but it could not pick up 911 from my home,they tried everything to please me but nthing they had for a carry unit would work.Am telling everyone that I can how bad life alert is.

20 0

May 27th, 2017 West Mifflin, PA

Have used for several years, husband and I. Excellent customer service. Would like to see auto fall detection capability. Otherwise very pleased.

9 2

May 18th, 2017

I called to ask for a brochure but instead I got a saleswoman who called and called and called again. They actually sent a man to install their unit before I had signed up for anything. It got so I actually hung up on the salesperson after the 4th day of her calling. She then called me back screaming into the phone about my hanging up. That did it. I signed up with Bay Medical and have never regretted it.

14 0

May 8th, 2017

My father is 90 years old. Has had service for approximately 10 years. He is now in a nursing home. I tried to cancel services, they would not cancel because I am not near the Life Alert Unit. I live over 90 miles away from fathers old home. I cannot miss another day of work to drive over there during their hours to get a number off an old machine and call you. Turn it off, stop changing an old man for something that he is not using. I can mail it back to you if you want when I can get it. Really !!! Stop Scamming old people.

16 0

May 7th, 2017

My mother has had Life Alert for 5 years. She is now 88 years old and has problems with balance. Because she has had both knees and both hips replaced, when she falls she is unable to get back up without assistance. I live an hour away. Life Alert has responded beautifully each time she has "fallen and can't get up". She highly recommends Life Alert to all of her friends and says it is a life saver. Life Alert means she can maintain her independence. It gives me (and my two siblings that live across the country) such peace of mind.

7 3

May 3rd, 2017

I was hoodwinked into committing to this. It interfered with my phone line. When I tried to cancel, they said I would be breaching the contract. I canceled the credit card it was billed to, so then they started sending me a bill . I refused to pay it, and I started getting phone calls and threatening letters. I ignored them. This went on for about 8 months and they finally gave up.

April 29th, 2017

First of all, this company is VERY aggressive. They call over and over and over, me, and my mom, to go over the same information repeatedly. The big red flag was after I very carefully gave them credit card information, they called several days later to verify the credit card information. ?????? The salespeople were very smooth, very nice and friendly, but once you call to cancel the service, they are extremely rude, and literally yell at you and don't let you ask or explain anything!!!! I couldn't believe it. DO NOT use Life Alert. They didn't let my mother know in advance of the delivery day, and since she wasn't there they expected her to pick it up at the post office, even though she can't get out. they started installing equipment even before she got a chance to look at the contract. They bring the contract with the equipment, and install part of the equipment, then expect you to read the contract. See how aggressive and manipulative this is. I'm glad my mother is business savvy and refused to go along with a 3 year contract with these clowns.

14 0

April 22nd, 2017

I ordered this for a "peace of mind" for when I was at work for my 87 (85 at the time) year old mother diagnosed with dementia. I went online being that I didn't want the phone ringing and bothering my mom who no longer knew how to answer it. Within a couple minutes, my phone was ringing !! All I wanted was information sent. I believe it was the next day a salesperson...(Kathy B) also called. As she did her sales pitch and I was going to order it, she said that will be like $3.16 or some odd cents a day. I said wait a minute---u r saying it's going to be around a hundred bucks a month......that was with the fire and carbon monoxide detector....she didn't mention that in her speech. She did ask if my mom would understand the unit being I would be locked in to a 3 year contract. My response was how do I know until I get it and try. DUH!!!! Well...we received it and there was no way my mom could understand it. She called her wrist unit her "decoration". Well, for the past few months, it has been sitting by the tv on top of the monitor collecting dust..unable to be cancelled for what I think is at least another year. And yes, very timely to get a response by the time they ask their million questions. She is now on Hopsice with 24/7 caregivers....very disappointed with this system.

April 11th, 2017

This is a horrible company that has no customer service skills. My mother was 89 when she signed up for Life Alert, with automatic withdrawals for the monthly payments and they had her commit to a two year contract without knowing it. She moved into a retirement home about 3 months after, who had their own system in place. I called Life Alert to cancel service for her and they wouldn't cancel due to the fact she was committed to two years. I had mentioned she was 89 years old, she told me she had no idea there was a commitment involved and they basically said oh well, we will continue to charge you for two years and call back after that to cancel. So, my mother has been paying $50 per month for the entire time, even though it hasn't been connected or used for the last 2 years. I called today to cancel and they said they couldn't until it has been disconnected. I said it has been disconnected for 2 years and I would like them to stop charging my mother the $50 per month premium. They said it has to be de-activated. I said it has been, it hasn't been activated for over 2 years. They said we need to wipe the memory from it first, I said can you tell me how to do that, they said you have to have it in front of you and then we will tell you how to do that. I said I don't live with her so I can't get my hands on the unit right now but when I am over there I will get it (she lives about 40 minutes away from me). I said I would still like you to stop charging her and they said they couldn't until the memory was cleared and then I need to send it back to them or it would be a $300 charge. For goodness sake, she is now 92 and they are insistent they keep charging her even though the thing hasn't even been plugged in, nor do they need to monitor it or have the service. They even had her old phone number! I have never had it so difficult to cancel a service. She is freeking 92. Can you make it any more difficult?!!! $50 per month is a lot for a 92 year old on a fixed income. I am so frustrated with this company, who has no desire to discontinue the service.

April 5th, 2017 Sylva, NC

They turned my smoke detector off and I had a small fire at my house. If I hadn't been awake and able to put the fire out my animals and I would have burned alive. They said the smoke detector was too sensitive, but would not replace it. I don't trust them to detect CO2 or to get help if I fall or become ill.

7 0