Life Alert Emergency Response has been a pioneer of the medical alert system industry since its start in 1987. Popularized by its "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" ad campaign, the Life Alert system has become a household name; the brand is so synonymous with medical alert systems, that many know the medical alert industry simply as the Life Alert industry.

However, despite its well-known name, there are many concerns with its medical alert services. Common Life Alert complaints include scamming tactics, high prices and fees, poor customer service, and lengthy contracts (three years). We highly suggest going with a more reputable company with positive reviews.

Below we have provided you with the Good, Bad, and Bottom Line about Life Alert in order to give you a quick breakdown of the facts to help you decide of Life Alert Emergency Response is the right medical alert system for you or your loved ones.

#1 Medical Guardian chevron_right
#2 MobileHelp chevron_right
#3 One Call Alert chevron_right

The Good

• CSAA Five Diamond Certified
  • Free Shipping and Warranty
  • Large Monitoring Call Assistance
  • Transparent about Successful Services
  • Family Notifications
  • Waterproof Pendant
  • Multiple Emergency Services

CSAA Five Diamond Certified

Most medical alert companies should be CSAA five diamond certified if they're worth their salt. This certification implies the company maintains a high-quality call center service.

Free Shipping and Warranty

Life Alert offers free shipping and a free equipment warranty. However, the duration of the warranty is unclear, so you may have to pay for equipment replacement after a certain period of time.

Large Monitoring Call Assistance

Being one of the largest medical alert companies in the industry, Life Alert operates its services with its own monitoring center. A lot of medical alert companies will contract with a third party monitoring center.

Transparent about Successful Services

In 2014, Life Alert assisted authorities in saving approximately 54,490 lives. That's roughly one life saved every 10 minutes!

Family Notifications

At the push of a button, the customer's emergency contact, along with an emergency dispatch unit, will be immediately notified of the problem. This could be a family member, a friend, or a trusted neighbor.

Multiple Emergency Services

Life Alert also offers services for a host of situations aside from an occasional medical emergency. These include fire protection, carbon monoxide gas protection, home intrusion, mobile tracking through GPS, and a cell phone app. These services aren't just for seniors, either.

The Bad

• Three-Year Contract
  • Expensive Service
  • No Automatic Fall Detection
  • Few Equipment Details
  • Poor Website
  • Negative Life Alert Reviews

Three-Year Contract

With a three-year contract, Life Alert locks customers into one of the longest contracts in the industry. Top competitors offer contracts that operate from month-to-month, which provides consumers the peace of mind of not having to buy out of a contract.

Havings such a long contract in an industry that doesn't typically require them is concerning. The company's contract is also one of the most common Life Alert complaints among the majority of its customer reviews. Overall, consumers on our site are not happy with the long-term contract, and they find it difficult, and sometimes impossible, to get out of Life Alert's contract.

Expensive Service

Because Life Alert is so well established in the industry, the company does not frequently rely on or offer discounts on its products and services. Although the company lists that it offers free equipment, shipping, and a warranty on its website, Life Alert is one of the more expensive medical alert providers on the market.

Many medical alert companies have a similar offer of free equipment, free shipping, and a free warranty, but they also include no long-term contracts, free activation, and affordable monthly monitoring (as little as $19.95 per month). Life Alert, on the other hand, requires a three-year contract, charges upwards of $70 per month, and calls for a hefty activation fee of nearly $100.

Many Life Alert reviews also note that the company increases its prices without notice and relies on locking customers into a long-term contract of three years. We suggest being aware of the life alert contract before committing to its services.

No Automatic Fall Detection

Many medical alert systems in the industry today offer automatic fall detection. Automatic fall detection is a medical alert capability that will immediately notify the medical alert company's monitoring center if pendant wearers experience a fall, even if they cannot press the button themselves. It's a way to give users peace of mind that they do not have to do anything on their part if they experience a fall; the medical alert company will take care of contacting emergency responders if necessary.

Life Alert does not currently offer any products with fall detection capability. This is definitely a con of Life Alert, especially since most medical alert companies offer fall detection features.

Few Equipment Details

The website offers next to no information on equipment details or company policies. In comparison to other companies that offer transparent details on multiple medical alert devices, this is concerning.

According to the company's website, a Life Alert medical alert device does include the typical base station and an alert button that can be worn as a pendant or a wristband, a backup battery life of 72 hours, and US-based monitoring services.

There is no information on other medical alert service features such as two-way communication, automatic fall detection, and built-in GPS tracking.

Most medical alert companies are transparent about their equipment and offerings online, so it is worrying that Life Alert is selective about what little information it does share on its website.

Poor Website

The Life Alert website appears as though it hasn't been redesigned in many years. It seems outdated and difficult to navigate, especially since there is no live chat available.

Life Alert provides limited details on its website regarding its specific offerings, and the company requests that you call in for a brochure to receive pricing and other information. Many people in Life Alert's customer reviews note that after calling to receive a brochure, they received endless follow-up calls even after expressing their disinterest in the company.

Negative Life Alert Reviews

The majority of Life Alert reviews are overwhelmingly negative, many of them noting that the company locks you into a long-term contract (36-month contract) and then makes it extremely difficult (or refuses completely) to allow customers to cancel its medical alert services. Many customers also mention scamming tactics, including upping the prices without notice, having faulty equipment, and neglecting customer service quality.

One customer addresses Life Alert as a scam: "It is a scam. Once you sign up [Life alert] uses every tactic to frustrate your ability to end the service...They get you to sign up for one amount and then jack up your monthly fee unilaterally."

Another frustrated consumer says something similar: "[Life Alert] locks you into a contract and makes it nearly impossible to cancel...This is just a scam to try to ring as much money as possible out of elderly people on a fixed income."

With such negative feedback, we highly suggest going with an alternative medical alert provider with positive reviews and a trustworthy reputation.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

The Bottom Line

Life Alert Emergency Response is not the best system on the market. While Life Alert as a company has many positives such as the coveted CSAA five diamond certification, its high installation fee ($95-$295), hefty long-term contracts (three years), and average system features should encourage potential buyers to explore Life Alert alternatives. Read Life Alert reviews below to see what customers have to say about the Life Alert's medical alert systems and customer service. Unfortunately, the majority of Life Alert reviews are negative, and we suggest going with a more reputable medical alert company.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

1.5

Cliff Bowman

June 24th, 2020 Stroudsburg, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It was not explained to me about a 3 year contract until I attempted to end our relationship in September 2018. Due to a financial hardship, I wanted to cancel my agreement. In a conversation with their Financial Controller, I asked to end the service because of a serious change in my financial position. She reminded me we had a 3 year contract (I was not provided a copy of this contract by my sales person). She had to send me a copy of this 3 year contract for proof. This all was totally mishandled by their sales person. The Sales Controller offered me a very small reduced monthly payment but it is still too much for me to pay on my fixed income. Today 6/24/20, 2 months prior to the end of my contract, I asked for a 2 month early ending and LIFE ALERT REFUSED ME AGAIN despite my financial position, They wouldn't take my September 2020 relationship ending today but, are making me call them again on September 1. I am totally dissatisfied with Life Alert and would not recommend them to anyone!

Rileygrazer

May 19th, 2020 Topanga, CA

I called life alert to ask how much a cost for the service for my grandma and the customer service agent was extremely rude and wouldn’t let my mom talk and I asked how much it will cost anyone give it to me on the phone I called customer service sales rep to get details in the sales rep will not give us pricing and and for canceling any sort of pay for three years for cancellation fee I find that unacceptable for a company that does that help senior citizens out that is extremely rude and extremely And very bad for money

Gina K Welch

March 9th, 2020 Reedsville, WI

When my elderly friend told Matt H, a sales rep for Life Alert, that she wanted to speak to her p.o.a before finalizing a decision on a medical alert he attempted to make her second guess her choice in who she has as p.o.a. He proceeded to hard sell, use fear tactics, and continue to harass her after she told him she went with a different medical alert. I called the company and the office Matt H. works from. Both times I was told a supervisor would return my call. No one called me back. Though Life Alert is well known for their commercials they are not the best rated company. I had already felt that my friend should not choose Life Alert but after her experience with the sales rep my friend is also certain.

Deidre Wilson

February 27th, 2020 Winchester, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I wish that I could give them a ZERO! My mom has been paying them for service 8 months and I found her this morning on her bedroom floor, in excruciating pain. She’s been there for 45 mins!! She pressed her button when she fell and the recording came on telling her hold on. Then nothing! She kept trying to press it and nothing happened. I immediately called 911, tried pressing everything on her machine with no luck, and then went and pressed the emergency button in her shower and got a recording to hold on! That continued until the paramedics were already there! Paid $1000 for this piece of crap service over the last 9 months and it was useless when she really needed it! After all the paramedics and firefighters left, I was upset. I called Life Alert and now at the end of the day, no manager will call me back. Talked to 6 different people, including their tech support who checked it with me doing what he said, and surprise- it doesn’t work. So he suggests moving to another area of the house for my mom who’s confined to her room. Repeated calls after no call back, unplugged the machine to box it up, and surprise- a call from their emergency service to see if we have a power outage because the machines not registering!! Do not waste your money or rely on this company to protect you of your loved ones. Epic fail today!!

Dennis Burtick

February 19th, 2020 Athens, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

*Life Alert SEEMED like a good idea 5 yrs ago but technology improves and they have not. They call you to tell you they are testing your sensors and then note that the batteries are dead. So send me new ones...you are billing us for a service. Nope...have to go buy them yourself and they are not cheap. Try cancelling service and the telemarketer type "customer service" guy is RUDE. Will not talk to me because I am not authorized but was authorized from the beginning. Wanted me to send him a opy of my power of attorney. So got wife on phone and he tried strong arming her...just like they do with all seniors. Told her to just say NO...and cancel the service. Then you have to go to a tech who will then deactivate the system and will call you back after 4 mins. She eventually called my cell and said we were cancelled (she was polite). Told her that the first guy was a jerk and would result in me never recommending them again. I imagine they get that a lot now. Replaced this with a 5 star alert phone for the wife. The bad thing about the older Life Alert is that the button only works in the house.. I know they upgraded that to include better range but they don't replace older equipment with the new stuff but still charge you the higher fee. Finally quit them today. They said to just throw out the old equipment. I'll check on recycling the batteries and any toxic metals in the sensors. They are in it for the money...and seniors are an easy target. The guy I dealt with would have talked my wife into keeping it, if I was not sitting right next to her. Pity the other seniors out there that can not stand up to people like him. I would never recommend them. 5 yrs and no needs = $3000. Except for one time the smoke detector wen toff because the fireplace flue was closed a little too much. I was right there. Not like we were sleeping and this could be a real emergency. When they called, I told them what happened. Would not accept my reply. Had to wake up wife and have her groggily answer their questions or they were sending a fire truck, even though another alert, responsible adult told them everything was fine. Good riddance....

Richard James

February 5th, 2020 Seattle, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Thank god for life alert. I never thought I would need them, but I did and they were wonderful. I am so lucky they helped me.

Sarah Westly

February 1st, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am very surprised to see negative comments about this company. I am 84 years old and I have had nothing but the most fabulous experience with Life Alert. I had two bad falls and if I didn't have my button, I would have been in big trouble. They are always so nice to me and pleasant. I feel peace because I know I have my helper no matter what. I wouldn't give Life Alert up for anything. God bless.

Fiona Goldson

January 29th, 2020 Chicago, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Whenever lay mother has had an issue, Life Alert always responds. It's a little more expensive, bit I like quality especially when it comes to my mom. Very happy with life alert.

Lorraine Beavers

January 26th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I fell in the kitchen and life alert sent help right away. I am very happy. They are very nice. Thank you

John

January 12th, 2020 Wimberley, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Life alert is horrible . They will not allow you to disconnect service. Run away from them.

Andrew

December 29th, 2019 Spokane, WA

Scott B is one of the most disrespectful person I’ve ever talk to he called my mom that’s 78 and trued to strong arm her then when I spoke to him I Tried to explain that the service was to Expensive after I hung up the phone with him he repeatedly to call me back 5 to 6 times and he called my mother and told her that I wanted her to get the box and that she needed to order it right then even know such conversation was ever spoke about I have never experienced such a hard aggressive tactics against elderly people except for the scams you see on TV he should be ashamed of yourself by an elderly people and trying to buy your product

Anne Breckbill

December 12th, 2019 Saint Paul, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Please don't do it! (Wishing for a zero star option) My mother has been a long-term (over 5 years) LifeAlert customer and has thankfully never needed it. She is losing ground cognitively and is easily confused and anxious. She is moving to an assisted living center where she does not need the Life Alert service. I called to cancel the month-to-month contract and got my mother on the phone to give verbal consent. The customer service rep would not let me speak, would not let mom cancel, was fear-mongering, pressuring, badgering, and insisted that mom tell her exactly what type of alert system the new place will have - something mom can't even do about her current system with Life Alert. She then asserted that she really "must advise her" to make her own decisions about her safety (i.e. not be influenced by me and implying that she is not "safe"). In the end, we were unable to cancel for the end of the month (she is paid through the end of the month) because if we canceled today she would not be covered for the next 10 days (till I arrive there) EVEN THOUGH SHE HAS PAID FOR THEM! Having read other reviews, I suspect that once I do get there and we cancel we stand the chance of having to pay another month due to them needing a 30-day notice. I guess we'll see. The way she spoke with my mom WITH ME ON THE LINE could be used as a primer of how to take advantage of the elderly. Lord knows what would happen without a witness. In the end, we got off of the phone and mom was completely confused about the outcome and believes that the service has been canceled. It has not. This is a company that puts their resources into gaining new customers and making it hard to leave. Thankfully, I have no knowledge of how they actually do with seniors if emergencies happen, but if the interaction I just witnessed is AT ALL reflective of how interested they are in the actual well-being of seniors, run - don't walk - away from Life Alert.

David W Schroeder

December 5th, 2019 El Cajon, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Set up services for my 86 year old Mother. Her husband my step father is in the last stages of Alezheimers. So I paid 15 months into the plan and she has very bad arthritis in her knees and hands and is unable to use the device. So she stopped wearing it. I called the company and they reminded me of the 36 month contract which I understand. I asked if the device could be redistributed to my sister who could use it and they said unlikely and the process is complicated and specific forms would have to be submitted. Very disappointing. So I'm not paying for another 21 months with no benefit. The business practice is very non-consumer friendly and is very bottom line focused. I will never recommend Life Alert to anyone. This has been a very bad experience. They were completely inflexible.

B. Black

November 27th, 2019 Sylvania, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

After over 3 years of being a client, upon having my mother having to go into hospice for her final days, I called life Alert to ask that the account be cancelled at months end. To which they replied that I had to have the care facility fax them on the care faculties letterhead that she was going into there facility. Even though they said I am month to month now and can cancel at anytime. I can not. $98.00 a month for over 3 years and they refuse to allow me to cancel!!

Desooze

October 22nd, 2019 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Beware the heartless customer service of Life Alert! Seniors are their primary customers and yet they do not run their business with compassion or understanding that 3 year contracts are absurd for this demographic with negative life changes that come on rapidly and often unexpectedly. Death seems the only way out of a contract on an overpriced system! I hope when the parents of these customer service/ management/owners of Life Alert become infirm ......or heaven forbid themselves .......that they will not use their own Life Alert system! Go elsewhere folks! There are better and more affordable systems with no contracts at all .......and kind caring folks “behind the curtain” ready to help your loved one navigate the perils of aging!

Maria

October 16th, 2019 Bolingbrook, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Life Alert absolutely refuses to cancel the contract. There have been a number of false alarms. The paramedics have come to my house twice in the past 24 hours. Once at 3:30 in the morning. I called Life Alert and asked them to turn off the unit and they refused.

Florence Donoghue

October 7th, 2019 Ojai, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is a horrible company!! They had me sign a contract for service and didn't explain that it was for 36 months. They deny this, but they are predators and fraudulent in their practices, praying on seniors! Do not sign up with this company and never for 36 months. When I spoke to them all they could do was regurgitate there script.

Ginger Barnes

September 24th, 2019 Boulder, CO

I called Life Alert twice to get some pricing as my mom just passed away and I needed something for my dad. They hung up on me twice because I would not give them my full address. I just had 2 questions and hey would not answer them for me- I was told they are in "the free brochure they will mail me" So ridiculous. They just lost a customer.

Warren Solomon

September 23rd, 2019 Bayside, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

There are so many reputable companies providing the same type of product. No regard for the changing status of seniors. My stepdad purchased a plan following my mother’s death as we told him he could no longer be alone. With time he became increasingly less able to care for himself and we called LifeAlert to cancel or at least amend the contract as the family would now care for him. We were told by Tina M., a very smug and sarcastic women that we should prove it. We were than passed to Jasmine in the retention dept and she rudely stated that we would pay until 11/2021. And we had better not attempt to mail the button and other paraphernalia back or she would bill us when she mailed it back to us. Spoke to the bank about stopping payments and they knew LifeAlert well. Stated that LifeAlert will changes one number on the computerized request and it will go through. We have currently filed complaints with 3 govt and private agencies. We may not get anywhere but at least the name of this scamming company will be out there. Go anywhere else but this disreputable group.

Lissette

August 15th, 2019 Burbank, CA

The people at life alert harass you and hang up on you when they don’t make a sale. With this type os salesmanship, I would be very cautious and apprehensive of a purchase of this sort for a loved one. Extremely disappointed with a company that’s suppose to help those is delicate and fragile stages.

Stefanie

July 20th, 2019 Revere, MA

After I called for a free brochure, I was prompted to another agent to answer my questions about the product. That agent was the rudest person I've ever talked to. He was ageist and asked if a young adult like me can afford life alert for my grandmother. Once he told me the price of my plan per month I said I would think about it IF he answered my questions on the product first. He hung up on me. He immediately called me back from a different number and told me that I was wasting his time. It's his job to answer my questions about the product; that's why I was transferred to him after signing up for a free brochure.

Cherilyn Schultz

June 14th, 2019 Butternut, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I actually did not go with Life Alert. I looked into a number of services, and felt this was not for me. One reason was the cost of the purchase. The rep kept calling and calling, after I declined to use them, telling them why, and that I was going with another company. She still kept calling, which I truly felt was way out of line. As a sidebar reason, she could never say my name correctly, which is something that annoys me no end. I kept telling her how, it really is simple after I tell you, but obviously too hard for her. Just like it was too hard for her to understand I did not wish to use them. I finally got a new phone, which allowed me to block numbers from calling me. Yea! No more Life Alert!!! I really dodged a big problem from everything I am reading here. I just wanted to add that if you inquire about them, they will not leave you alone.

terry natte

June 7th, 2019 Grand Rapids, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Life aleret is a terrible company my wife fell in the shower pressed the life alert button they never called she laid there for 2 hours and was finally able to get up they are so crooked I am telling every one not to ever sign up with life alert and there contract is to long , warning to every one don't use these criminals

J Butler

May 25th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am dealing with trying to cancel my mother's service. She is experiencing dementia and has no ability to cope with customer service procedures. She recently moved into an assisted living facility. When I called Life Alert to cancel I was quizzed aggresdively as to whether my mother would be located in a place that had 24 hour nursing care available as well as a pendant. Then I was told that she would have to submit a letter from her new residence on their letterhead stating that she would no longer need the service. When I explained that was not possible for her to do, and that I had power of attorney over her affairs and was legally entitled to cancel her acvount, I was told to email the power of attorney documents to them and they "would then call me to discuss canceling the account". That conversation took place a couple days later. I was instructed at that point that I would have to be in front of the equipment to press some kind of button to cancel the service, and this was the only way to disable the account. This did not sit well with me, because I live 100 miles away. He cited a page on a contract I had no knoqledge of and insisted this was the only way I could cancel the account, for someone to enter my mother's former residence and press this button. Of course, she has moved and the phone line is non-active, and no family members live nearby. I expressed my frustration at these ridiculous requirements and asked why they couldn't have told me these things when I was at her home helping her move at the time I made the first call and was told to submit the POA and they would call me to "discuss" canceling. When I told the customer service person that they should have informed of the need to press the precious button when I called the first time, the response was "I'm sorry you feel that way." My response, "You're sorry I feel that way? What a ridiculous thing to say." I was fairly ticked off by now. The customer service agent then hung up on me. I called back and was connected after a long wait to a supervisor. I explained the situation and she told me I had the option of paying $300 for the equipment now in order to cancel the service and that the $300 would be returned if I sent the equipment back within 30 days. I asked why didn't the first person I spoke with tell me that was an option, and was told they would review the recording of the phone call. That is where things stand currently. I would imagine these kinds of situations arise often, where a family member living our of town who has no idea of a "contract" or its provisions tries to cancel an accout on behalf of someone who is no longer able to do so. Unstead of being transparent, helpful, and forthcoming with information, the Life Alert people made it as difficult, inconvenient and frustrating as possible. Instead of explaining the contract and its provisions for canceling right off the bat, they doled out information as reluctantly as possible. It leaves me feeling that instead of being helpful, this is a company that is actively trying to take advantage of those family members in the aftermath of difficult situations. They know the contract, family members who are trying to deal with the affairs of their parents very likely don't, and often may not have access to it. That's shameful behavior. They could do much better and be far more friendly and helpful to people needing to cancel service because of changes in life situations. I would encourage any older person looking for such services to bypass Life Alert.

Michael L Walton

May 23rd, 2019 San Marcos, CA

Life alert is in the business of senior abuse when selling their product with a contract to seniors who cannot afford their exorbitant prices. They told me that the only way for a senior to get out of the contract was to die. The senior who ordered it has dementia, they did not care. He is also on a fixed and very limiited income. They have no compassion.

S. Fusaro

May 18th, 2019 East Norwich, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have to give a star to write a review. Life alert is a scam. This company plays on peoples fears. They suck you into 3 year contracts that you didn't know you are even in. When you try to cancel they give you the run around and transfer you to different people and departments. They ask you to provide documentation such as a health care proxies, death certificates, doctors notes, etc the list goes on just to get more money out of people. This is the lowest of the low. They prey on senior citizens and their families. This is not a life saving device, you do not need to have a doctors note to get this device. Beware and stay away this is a money making scam. Life alert needs to be shut down, and doors closed.

scott

May 10th, 2019 Grand Ledge, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Service is fine, but good luck trying to cancel it. I'm the DPoA and my mother is going into an assisted care facility and they're making me just through hoops to cancel the service. I told them 'how about I just stop paying you as noone live there'. Their response and I quote "you'll be sent to collections...have a nice day sir' and they hung up. Horrible customer service. I can tell you I won't be using them again for other family members.

Jim

May 9th, 2019 Seattle, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We're two years into the three year contract. My parents (both in their 80's) live in their home in southern California, while I'm way up in Seattle. They've activated the system twice after falls, and all worked exactly as described. LifeAlert's dispatcher contacted emergency services, and paramedics were onsite in minutes. I received a notification call in both cases, keeping me informed. This service allows my parents to stay in their home, where they prefer to be. Worth every penny for peace of mind. Their website and ability to interact online (for billing changes, etc.) is a bit underwhelming.

Karen

May 6th, 2019 Murtaugh, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Don't get Life Alert! My dad has been trying to get out of his contract for 2 months now. He is now living with me and under 24 hour care. His equipment is in another state in storage. They told him he needed a letter stating he now had 24 hour care. Sent that. Then they wanted license numbers of caretaker. Sent that. Now they are saying it needs to be on a letterhead. They previously said no letterhead needed as the caretaker was his granddaughter. They are giving us the runaround just to keep getting money. I'm all in for a class action suit. We need to stop these thieves from ripping off the elderly.

BHarley

April 23rd, 2019 Bluffton, SC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I could give zero stars, I would. They sold me on the system for my parents under the false pretense that if my parents passed away during the contract period, they would actually refund my money & end the contract. My father passed away & he was my mother’s primary caregiver. She has severe dementia. She cannot use the system - nor even understands what it’s for. It’s useless. Nevertheless, since she is being cared for by family & has not been “put in a home”, they are holding me to 2.5 more years of contract at $100 per month. This company does not care about the elderly. They care about the dollars.

sheila k treece

April 23rd, 2019 Lafayette, IN

I mistakenly called to request a brochure. I started receiving harassing phone calls not only to my home number, but also to my work number! I told them repeatedly I was not interested and do not call me back. Several weeks later, I received another phone call at work. So much for requesting some harmless information, turned into a stalking situation.

Amy

April 9th, 2019 Birmingham, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is a terrible company. You cannot get out of the contract. When my mother accidently activated the button around her neck, it came on so loud and scared her to death. She was traumatized and refused to use it again. For 3 years we have been paying for it and it has not even been in her house. They do not care whether they help you or not, or whether you are happy with their service or not. Highly recommend you seek alternatives.

Sylvia's Daughter

April 7th, 2019 Hollywood, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We ordered Life Alert for my mom who was living independently. When my mom could no longer care for herself, we moved her with my sister who cared for her around the clock. During the last months of my mom's life, she was kept sedated in Hospice and had no use for the Life Alert. After watching my mom suffer for months, Life Alert caused more stress and heartache. They would NOT cancel the contract. They didn't care about anything I said. Their answer was get a letter from Hospice (is that all I am thinking of while watching my mom die) OR pay and wait until I can provide a Death Certificate. UNLESS YOU KNOW FOR SURE YOU WILL USE THE SYSTEM UNTIL THE END OF THE CONTRACT, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY......

Raymond

April 3rd, 2019 Diamond Bar, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It is a scam. Once you sign up they use every tactic to frustrate your ability to end the service. It is so frustrating. They get you to sign up for one amount and then jack up your monthly fee unilaterally. When you are signing up, it’s all peaches until you demand to end it and then the run around starts. Usually, they’ll have a “lady” take over and she’ll use every avenue to frustrate your ability to end the contract. She would tell you it’s only the old folks covered by the account who can speak to them about cancellation. And when you argue, as I did, I was told they can only speak to my wife; even though it was I who signed up. I then got my wife on the phone and suddenly it was a statement that it would take a really long time to “discuss” the account. When my wife stated that she was busy and just wanted them to end the service, as she had requested on multiple occasions previously; the “lady” starts again with “the service isn’t ending until we discuss with you.” Meanwhile, my wife is now practically yelling at her to simply cancel the service and the lady is insisting that they must “discuss” the account. While all this is going on, they are busy debiting my account each month. I even had my bank try to stop their debit and those crooks responded to my bank with allegations of a valid contract. In short, avoid these crooks like the plague. I will surely prospect for a class action against them. They do not deserve to be in business. A bunch of crooks!

Dianne

March 19th, 2019 Hutchinson, KS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'm ready to call the Better Business Bureau on these scoundrels... I sent back my mothers machine in April of last year and they keep sending letters and calling. They said for me to give them the tracking number that I used when sending the machine back and I did. They said thaust they couldn't find the machine. One of the people called and I told them about what we did and he said that he would take care of taking our name off the list. Well it is March of the next year and they are still hounding us. Finally they sent a bill for one whole year....my mother has dementia and has been in a living center for this whole time they have been harassing us. Do not use them...there are other ones to try...what a bunch of losers.

Jeffrey Karpe

February 28th, 2019 Cincinnati, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Life Alert is the classic model of fleecing the elderly with fine print and automatic deductions from the bank account. My father had Life Alert for almost 10 years, and recently went into a nursing home. Even after receiving a letter from the nursing home stating that my father had 24/7 nursing care, Life Alert refused to cancel the service without a $300 early cancel fee. I finally had to get my bank to stop all future payments to this unethical organization.

Trixie Hahn

February 25th, 2019 Escondido, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible experience. Mom tried to cancel on second day after install, within the 3 day cooling off period required by California state law. Company refused despite certified letter. She disconnected the device that same day, and it was 6 days before Life Alert noticed and texted to ask if she needed medical help

Alice Treadwell

February 7th, 2019 Montgomery, AL

Ordered system, Life Alert sent a representative to help install equipment and it would not work properly, the representative took the equipment with her from my home but never returned it to the company, therefore my credit Card has been charged twice, once for 196.00$ and another 71.96.. life alert refuses to credit my account! Don’t do business with this company as they take advantage of senior citizens instead of there claim to help them! Alice Treadwell

janalee sanders

February 2nd, 2019 Valley Center, CA

my grandmother had this and it was literally a life saver! I was on the receiving end of a phone call because she had fallen. the best thing is that it puts the whole family at ease because we can get help quickly if needed

Jim

January 15th, 2019 White Plains, NY

DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR PHONE NUMBER!! I made the mistake of calling them simply for a brochure for my mother. Now they call EVERY DAY twice a day! I got so angry at the woman tonight I told her I was blocking her number and already signed up with another service. DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY OF YOUR INFORMATION!!

Russ

January 8th, 2019 Anaconda, MT

DO NOT CALL THEM! THEY WILL HOUND YOU TO DEATH! I made the mistake of calling them and they will not stop calling me back. I blocked their number and they started texting me. I told Salesman Larry that I went with someone else and now Alex is calling me. They are high pressure sales and want to push the most expensive system on you. I simply wanted something for my mother when she is at home. Larry told me they do not have a system like this and just kept pushing me at this $99/ month system. BS!! I got what I needed from another vendor for $19.95/ month. I think Life Alert gouges it's customers.

Carrie V

December 27th, 2018 Lakewood, WA

These Lifealert people try and scare you away from other similar type products. They tell you other similar products have left people laying on floors for 30+ hours because of a dead battery. The medical alert program does not require charging a battery each night like Lifealert indicated. My grandma who had fallen twice in two weeks could not afford Lifealert expensive fees and almost quit looking for this type help which in my opinion put her at a greater risk. I am so livid wit Her lofealert for this kind of high pressure tactics on the elderly. This is a type of elder abuse and I wish I could do more about it than just a review.

Cindy Lang

December 18th, 2018 Bristol, CT

WARNING DO NOT BUY THIS SYSTEM- we needed the system and were put on hold - called 911 and got immediate response and paramedics before they even came on the line. Worst system ever. Now that my parent is under 24 hour care they will not let us cancel the contract because family members are her care givers - what a rip off - they are taking advantage of our seniors/ still billing my parent for a system that is of no use to her.

San

December 15th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ

I have been in the senior industry for over 18 years and I have referred this company to my clients, but not any longer. This ad states it may be offensive and it is! They are using fear tacit to sell their product which they know is offensive, but it seems they really don't care. There are other good companies around that offers the same type of product and are sensitive to the consumer. I am retired now, but I still receive calls for referrals and will not give this companies name out.

Art Scott

December 7th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Piece of crap . I'm paying for a service but they don't service their equipment . When ever there's a problem somebody on the phone wants to walk me through fixing it , they charge to send a tech to fix their freaking equipment . That's bullshit! Moms old and I have a job ! Searching to replace these sick weeds with someone who will send help !

Cathy G

December 4th, 2018 Huntington Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would give negative stars if i could. DO NOT subscribe to Life Alert. They lock you into a contract and make it nearly impossible to cancel. As my dad's dementia worsened, he was no longer capable of using (he pushed the button when he didn't need help, and wouldn't understand to push it if he). My family tried to cancel and every call was a run around - "we needed a doctors note, we need power of attorney, the account holder had to make the call, etc..". This is just a a scam to try to ring as much money as possible out of elderly people on a fixed income. My friend signed her mom up to a different service with no contracts, it was just as effective in an emergency and was easy to cancel when her mom no longer needed it. It was also much cheaper. Make sure to ask about cancellation when you sign up for one of these services.

Shary

December 1st, 2018 Chagrin Falls, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My unit is not working. I don’t know why it just stopped working! I called the company to report it and was told they are only available Monday thru Friday, 8-5. It is Saturday...so I’ll try not to fall! What a bunch!

Julia Hemeon

November 30th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I got the service for my elderly aunt because she was leaving on her own. Now not even a year later, her cancer has come back, and currently being treated, so therefor When she cane back from the hospital, I brought her to my home. She is going to have private duty nurses and 3 others that Medicare will provide. I called to cancel the service, and they told me that the contract is for 3 yrs and there is not a way to get out of it.

Lucy bradley

November 28th, 2018 Waco, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

A couple of months ago I had an emergency I hit the button on the machine It kept saying Please wait I would have had a much quicker response by calling 911

Eric

November 26th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We use Life Alert for my older mother who has some medical issues. Thank goodness she has not yet fallen and had to use it but she is seizure prone so she always wears it just in case. It certainly lifts a weight off of my shoulders to know that she can push that button if something happens and help will be on the way immediately. Thank you Life Alert for peace of mind. Life Alerts customer service was great when setting up my mothers system.