Sprint

Sprint

Sprint is a major provider of wireless and Internet services throughout the world. As of 2014, Sprint is the third largest U.S. network operator, with 54.3 million customers at the end of July 2014. Sprint also owns Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and the Assurance brands of non-contract providers. Recently, there was some turnover in the CEO ranks. Marcelo Claure, the founder and former CEO of Brightstar, replaced Dan Hesse. Sprint consistently pushes the revenue envelope, earning $35.49 billion in 2013 and 35.4 billion in 2012. Sprint is actually owned by the SoftBank Corporation, which holds 80 percent of Sprint’s shares. Also, as of 2014, Sprint has over 38,000 employees, ranging from service support to network engineers. Sprint is headquartered in Overland Park, Kansas.

The Good

• Family plans
  • Large variety of phones
  • Great accessories

Sprint focuses heavily on servicing family units. While most providers' only package different lines under one umbrella data plan, Sprint makes data available for each phone. That means that if you get the 6 GB data plan with Sprint, there will be 6 GB included for each phone. The phone plans are also affordable when you use a family plan.

There is also a wide variety of cellular phones available through Sprint. Sprint offers one BlackBerry phone, which is more than most carriers provide. Also available are the latest iPhone and Android phone products. In addition to providing iPhone and Android products, Sprint also carries an HTC Windows phone available. Most of the contract and non-contract providers that we reviewed only had Nokia Windows phones available.

Cell phones are not the only technology Sprint sells directly to consumers. Sprint allows customers to purchase a mobile hotspot (many phones can be hot spotted), several different tablets, and other devices as well. Sprint also lets customers purchase pre-owned tablets. This makes the price of an iPad or a Google tablet more affordable for customers with a tighter budget. They also offer products like the Onyx studio, a set of speakers that could be plugged into a phone or tablet's audio port, to maximize a listening experience.

Current customers have also been pleased that Sprint still has smartphones with QWERTY keyboards. One product in particular, the Motorola Admiral, has a QWERTY keyboard and is popular amongst a niche group. For these consumers, the keyboard makes it easier to text and browse the Internet.

Sprint is rather transparent regarding the capabilities of the technology they sell. Customers can easily find descriptions concerning the operating system, the screen size, whether or not the phone has a touchscreen, and the battery lifetime. Most of the batteries for Sprint phones last 18 hours or more, most phones had a touchscreen, and there were a lot of phones with a 4" display or larger.

Sprint also heavily emphasizes the selling of accessories to compliment customers' phones, tablets, and other devices. With other contract and non-contract providers, it can be relatively difficult to find protective devices. However, Sprint carries screen protectors and carrying cases for tablets and their customers can find a wide variety of accessories for phones and tablets as well.

For smartphone users, Sprint has created an "app" service for their customer base. They provide an extensive list of apps and customer ratings for them. Customers can sign into the Sprint site and specific apps will be sent directly to the phone via a download link. This feature seems to benefit Android users more than iPhone users at this time.

The Bad

• Hidden fees
  • Early termination fees
  • Expensive hotspots

Hidden fees and additional costs are a concern of both current and prospective customers. Sprint is not exactly clear about what their overage fees entail. Those interested in the service will need to conduct further individual research to know for sure what the charge per MB of overage will be. If you are roaming on another network and you go over your data, current customers have stated that there is an expensive overage charge associated with that coverage. Other cellular providers charge a flat overage fee, often $15 per GB of overage. This approach would help Sprint keep overage fees at a minimum for its clients, but it is currently not offered.

Overage fees are not the only expensive aspect to the Sprint pricing model. The early termination fee (when a customer cancels their contract early) is one of the highest in the industry. If you cancel a smartphone contract, you pay $350 per line. Also, you will pay $200 to cancel per line if you use Sprint's basic phones. If you have multiple lines, it would be very easy to pay $1000 if you cancel your contract with Sprint early.

Hotspots and Wi-fi card plans are also considered by Spring customers to be "expensive." The cheapest plan they currently provide is $35/month and has a 3GB cap. There are also additional fees that can apply with the limited GB data. There is no unlimited plan right now. The 30GB plan will run you $110/month.

The Bottom Line

For the customer who wants a contract or prepaid phone, a tablet, or a mobile hotspot, Sprint would be a quality carrier to look into. They have a lot of different products available, represent all the phone operating systems, and have one of the best 4G LTE networks in the country. While there are some significant "holes" in national 4G LTE coverage, the voice-only and 3G coverage are consistent around the country. For those interested in Sprint's services can expect the following:

• Wide variety of phones to choose from
  • Extensive coverage
  • Service plans to fit almost any budget
  • Long-term contracts with steep termination fees
  • Hotspots and data plan available
  • Several technology-based services available
  • Wide variety of compatible accessories
  • Confusion surrounding overage charges

23 Sprint Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

After trying out a few different cell phone providers I'm glad that I got Sprint. Their coverage is wonderful and their prices are affordable. My coverage was even working out of the country.

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Sprint is reasonable when it comes to their pricing. However, it's annoying when you keep experiencing dropped calls and sketchy service in areas where you are supposed to have service.

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Sprint is reasonable when it comes to their pricing. However, it's annoying when you keep experience dropped calls and sketchy service in areas where you are supposed to have service.

June 10th, 2017

We have been very pleased with Sprint as our cell phone provider. We switched from our previous provider a couple of years ago because of Sprint's friends and family plan and have had no regrets. It is much more affordable than our previous provider and the coverage has been equally as good.

June 1st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I've used Sprint for the last 4-5 years, and when I initially moved over I was excited to get away from my previous cell phone provider, but the honeymoon shortly wore off. Last year I had to replace my phone because it was damaged beyond use, and at the time I had to buy out my previous phone and buy a new one. Also I am currently in the same predicament, where my phone is damaged and they want me to send it in to them for an insurance claim for $200. I don't think so. I believe my time is finished with Sprint. The customer service is really bad and their guarantees of great service is a joke.

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I've used Sprint as my service provider for 3 years now, and they are a pretty average Cell phone service provider. I have had random times where my service was poor and unusable, but nothing too terrible. I am on a framily plan which makes my plan affordable, but going over charges are outrageous, and they don't give you any warning that you are over, or any ability to limit to stop yourself from going over unless you vigilantly check daily. Overall I'm satisfied with my plan through them.

May 29th, 2017

My family plan is great for a big family. The prices are pretty good except for buying the phones.

May 26th, 2017

I switched to Sprint summer of 2014 because of their Framily plan. When you are paying for 5 cell phones you go to where you can afford it. I have liked sprint because it is affordable and I am not locked into a plan. The customer service is pretty good however the wait time at a store is very long. Plan on having a couple of hours to get any issues resolved if you have techinical issues or need to buy a phone. The cell coverage isn't as good from sprint as I have had from other companies but it is good enough, and I have traveled through Europe and the US. I stay at sprint because they are affordable for my family and give me the service I need.

May 26th, 2017

The first time I walked in to a Sprint store contemplating on what phone service to get I encountered friendly employees who where willing to answer my questions. The second time when I made up my mind that Sprint would be my service provider I was overwhelmed as the employee was sharing different plans and going super fast. I felt as though he was pressuring me and asked for a different person to help me. I have since had no problems with there employees and the company its self.

May 25th, 2017 Bronx, NY

Sprint sun is big time and something wrong with my bill. It's suppose to be $190 with the iPad I have for my daughter and out of no where it's about $230. I'm about to switch my carrier as well

May 24th, 2017 Shelbyville, TN

My loyalty to #Sprint was based on the customer service I received when their call centers were primarily in the Southeastern US (NC). I've been with them 13 years now - which is a lifetime in cell provider years. They've made their website too complex and splashy to find any information or I would DIY. They have restricted their chat representatives to a point of ineptitude. Every time I have to call I cringe - because it is always someone in a busy call center in India. Enough. I work in the customer service industry also - I have high standards. I don't mind if someone is new - but I DO mind if I can't perform a simple task like cancelling a line or changing my service plan. I have maintained my plan with them out of loyalty - even though Verizon provides better service in the rural area I live in. I'm done with Sprint. Done. Done. Done. Ugh.

May 23rd, 2017 Portage, MI

I have been waiting 5 days for sprint to fix my Netgear wifi. In spite of them promising a 24 to 48 hr turn around time for fixing my problem, to date sprint hhas not lived up to their promise, but they are charging me for no service.

May 10th, 2017 Charlotte, NC

So today I find out that Sprint wants to go ahead and move forward with a "self service" way of doing things. Which means they DO NOT wanna talk to their customers. I was calling to switch the day to an earlier day my bill could be paid. The automated system gave me no option to go talk to a customer service rep. Now call me old school but I like to talk to an actual person! Rather then a dumb automated system. So I got hung up on twice by the automated system because I kept pressing 0 for customer service. So FINALLY I did a bunch of options and it lead me to the customer service. I told the girl my experience with the automated system and she apologized for the hard time. But her voice said it all that she DID NOT care about the way I felt. Then I told her the reason why I was calling. She wanted money upfront! Now keep in mind I do not get paid till this Friday which is a few days. So basically she says to me that I don't need to pay if I go through the automated system and that she couldn't help me unless I pay! WHAT??? Does this make sense to anyone!!!! You don't have to pay going through the automated system but have to pay if you go through a rep! Is this not the stupidest bunch of crap! I told her how stupid that sounded and she said "noted" Now I've been with this company for at least 10 YEARS! And within the past year this company has gone down the tubes! Something needs to be done about sprint. If I was in charge I would make a one touch to option to talk to a rep. Then I would do the same stradegy for both talking to someone and an automated system. Why do two different sets of plans and the way to go about business?? Needless to say I am NOT happy with sprint and would love to do nothing more then switch my carrier! Don't go to sprint! I'd rather have T mobile!! Chris R

March 26th, 2017

I have been with Sprint for approximately 12 years. They used to be really good but that has definitely changed. One month my bill would be $180.00 then the next month it might be $220.00. They have so many different hidden fees and charges it's unreal. I leased a Galaxy S5 two years ago. They charged me an extra $20.00 per month for the lease. My lease just ended and they wanted me to pay an additional $200.00 to purchase the phone outright or turn it back in. What a ripoff. Walmart had a brand new Galaxy S5 for $199.00 for the Straight Talk service. That was definitely a no brainer. Straight Talk is better in every aspect. Coverage, price and customer service. I have one phone still under a contract with Sprint. When the contract ends in August I'll finally be done with Sprint for good. They charge you $350.00 early termination fee. That's the only reason I haven't switched my daughters phone already. Sprints customer service is a joke.

October 26th, 2016 Fairfax, VA

I have service on the Sprint network through Credo mobile. They are based on the West Coast (US) and I'm outside of Washington DC, but I've been very impressed with their service. I've gotten 4 new devices sent in the three years my family has been doing business with them and each one was seamless. They also support causes I care about (read Non-Tea Party Conservative causes which are the darlings of AT&T and Verizon). Couldn't be happier!

April 9th, 2016 San Diego, CA

Garbage coverage in the middle of the city, they keep doing provider upgrades to my phone and now as of Apr-8th I have 0 Wi-Fi connectivity and only 1x coverage even with their Airaid 6 feet and wifi router 2 feet and in sight. even with restart . Horrid customer service and reps BS to make the client feel they know anything, im on a hill and 1.2 miles from a cell tower that is active and still no coverage. Im done going back to verzion.

December 3rd, 2015 Houston, TX

Sprint has lied to me for the last time. They tell you what you want to hear so customers will purchase a wifi device. I was told my bill would be 135.00 per month, but I received a $203.00 bill yesterday. I would rather go with another company than deal with Sprint any longer. Sincerely Unhappy customer

July 16th, 2015 Lansing, MI

We are a long term Sprint customer and we have always loved the service. I have always heard people gripe about coverage in the country but I am for the most part an urban dweller and have always recieved excellent service. I recieve full bars in my home of LTE services in fact. Sprint has always offered the latest and greatest in phones and I recently upgraded to a platinum/gold Samsung S6 Edge 64gb which is easily the prettiest phone I've ever owned. I also noticed that Sprint tends to be cheaper than both ATT and Verizon and Tmobile doesn't even compete from a tech standpoint. All and all I am and continue to be happy with the service I get from Sprint.

July 11th, 2015 El Paso, TX

Sprint has been the worst carrier I've ever had. Poor signal even at my home. The internet (if i get any) its very very very slow and takes a long time to load. I have to use an air-rave in order to get signal.and of course its not for free. So i am paying to use the service i am already paying for. Sprint goes out of the way to bring new customers but it wont even bother to keep current customers happy. I do not, i repeat i DO NOT recommend Sprint to anybody. I cant wait for my contract to expire so i can go elsewhere.

July 10th, 2015 Cincinnati, OH

Worst COmpany Ever!!. Custumer service -50, Signal, -11.... Esta compañia no sirve!