AT&T Logo

5.9

LAST UPDATED: October 6th, 2022

AT&T Wireless is a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&T and was formerly known as Cingular Wireless. Headquartered just outside of Atlanta, GA, it offers cellular and data services across the U.S. It the second largest wireless communications service provider in the country after Verizon.

The Good

• Basic Plan Affordability
  • Unlimited Plans
  • No-Contract Options
  • Device Compatibility
  • Hotspots Available

Basic Plan Affordability

Compared to other big-name cell phone providers, AT&T has some of the best prices for talk and text cell phone services.

AT&T offers a barebones phone plan to customers starting at just $30/line per month (when you enroll in monthly credit card or bank AutoPay). This is a great non-contract option for customers who want a basic phone plan with minimal data (1 GB). This is also a great product because customers can get unlimited text and voice at a price that undercuts both contract and non-contract competitors.

Unlimited Plans

Customers who want unlimited data also have some good options with AT&T's unlimited plans. Data plans are on the pricier side but include good network coverage and ample entertainment benefits.

Starting at $40/line per month, you get unlimited talk minutes, text, and data at 4G LTE speeds in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, as well as 480p DVD quality video streaming (max of 1.5 Mbps) and access to 35+ live TV channels.

The carrier's top Premium plan includes even more entertainment options: a choice of one complimentary membership with HBO, Cinemax, Pandora Premium, or a number of other entertainment services.

No-Contract Options

AT&T offers both non-contract prepaid cell phone plans and contract cell phone services and is clear as to differences between what each plan includes.

Device Compatibility

AT&T provides a SIM card for users with older iPhones and Android phones if you want to bring your own device. With these SIM cards, phone users can continue to use their phone for a little bit while longer if they don't have the money to purchase a new phone. Or, they can purchase any unlocked phone to use on the AT&T network.

In addition to Windows phones and Android phones, customers can buy phones with the Amazon Fire operating system, allowing them to enjoy their eBooks and apps purchased through Amazon.

Additionally, AT&T also sells other devices that can be managed with the cellular plan, including:

• Tablets
  • Cellular modems and routers
  • Digital TV services

AT&T has tablets available that support Windows 8, Apple iOS, Android, and the Fire OS by Amazon.

Hotspots Available

AT&T offers a number of different mobile hotspots, including the AT&T Unite Pro. This device has up to sixteen hours of power and lets you boost the battery life of your smartphone. The Unite Pro also lets clients share an Internet connection with up to fifteen devices. Several of AT&T's plans include mobile hotspot data usage, including the Unlimited3 plan which allows up to 10 GB of 4G LTE data with mobile hotspot.

The Bad

Customer Complaints

AT&T reviews bring to light concerns stemming from the contract service and the overage fees.

While the pay-as-you-go plans are subject to data throttling, there is a service fee of $15 per GB that a client goes over their monthly data quota. Other customers have complained about the slowness of the network when they start using a lot of data on their monthly-unlimited plan.

Other customers take issue with AT&T's customer service, network coverage, and pricing.

The Bottom Line

AT&T Wireless offers contract and plan flexibility to customers by including both contract and non-contract services. It has some of the best entry-level plans in the industry along with a wide variety of phones and other devices to choose from.

AT&T Wireless has one of the most diverse offerings of mobile hotspots, with one brand that is able to support up to fifteen devices. There are also battery backup options on most of the mobile hotspots for smartphones that may need a quick battery boost.

In order to get the most out of your data plan, make sure you have purchased the appropriate monthly data plan for your needs. If you start getting towards the end of your data quota, you may find that your data plan is being throttled.

View Best Cell Phone Providers

3.7

brendan phelps Glen Carbon, IL

Everything was fine with the company until I tried to leave. I was on the phone with customer service for 2+ hours just to cancel my plan and unlock my phone. All while they kept hassling me about newer better plans when I was very clear that I wanted to stop using their services. I made sure to ask if after this last transaction that I would owe nothing more multiple times, and they assured me every time that after I left AT&T that that would be the end of it. Fast forward to two years later after not hearing anything from them a debt collector is trying to collect a debt from back when I canceled my plan with them. I received no calls, emails, text, or any other type of contact from AT&T about an outstanding balance until now.

16 hours ago

Gina Donofrio

What can I say about AT&T. There's no question why it has been in business as long as it has been. Great service, phones, warranties, and Customer Service.

Robert C.

The problem with AT&T is that they are expensive. If you are going to sign up for five or six lines, you are probably OK, but for seniors who only need two, not so much. The cost per wireless line might be competitive with other carriers if you did not have to sign up for multiple (4) lines to be eligible for the good rate and national discounts. Everything has switched over to unlimited talk and text, which is an improvement, but the per line cost is still higher than the rest of the field.

Fanisha Houston, TX

Love love love having my service with AT&T! Best service I've ever had. Free Phone with a trade in. Ran into a few problems but overall great customer service when needed. Trouble shooting or needing extra time paying my bill. No worries!

jamee emens Scottsdale, AZ

I had AT&T for many many years and loved it. It's not easy to get through to customer service but that seems to be the norm these days for all companies. I wish I could go back to AT&T. The coverage is much better than my current carrier.

Judy Burford Churubusco, IN

I just started with AT&T paid my first bill. I had to go out to the store in Fort Wayne Indiana to pay my bill. The people there are very rude disrespectful and act like they don't want to wait on you. They want to know if you have cash or credit card I always pay with cash and the guy was looking at his phone as he was trying to wait on me. I am very upset with these people and I'm thinking of going back to my own company. Do not go to AT&T to get a phone

Eid Rehmat Collierville, TN

I have AT&T cellular service for over 15 years In the middle I switched to sprint but didn’t have good experience I got back to AT&T now it’s been good service

Mario Martin Montgomery, TX

I've been a faithful and loyal customer with AT&T for many years. With the evolution of the wireless, and smartphone industry, AT&T has done a satisfactory job at improving services and staying competitive with others. AT&T has had quality product selections, reliable wireless service, reasonable rates, and respectful customer service representatives that have always been responsible for giving the best customer experience.

Emily Swierczynski Waterford, MI

I ended up switching to ATT wireless because my company has discount. We get unlimited data at a fantastic price. Never had any issues and coverage is great. It was also awesome to learn on our honeymoon that we get free service in Mexico and Canada as well when traveling!

Subzero35 York, PA

I’ve been a customer of ATT for over 7 years and I barely ever have any issues with my bills and phones. On the rare occasion there is an issue, the customer service representatives are always friendly, treat me with respect as well as making me feel valued by the company. The company when there is an issue will always do everything they can to fix the problem. The prices are very reasonable, the service and reception are near perfect and they are always up to date with the latest technology so they can ensure their products will function properly and have very little problems. Another bonus is the sales reps will try to sell a product as its their jobs however they aren’t pushy and actually listen to the customers needs and wants. When I’ve had a phone delivered from the main warehouse it always shows up safely, quickly and the box that the phone arrives in is always secure.

Bridget Walker Bay Saint Louis, MS

AT&T is one of the best cell phone service providers in the nation. They are affordable and reliable. I love my cellphone service with AT&T.

Zack Labladjyan Granada Hills, CA

When I purchased iPhone 13 online $1299 was told I will be able to port my phone number from Simple mobile. After getting the phone delivered I tried calling AT&T 6 times to port my phone number and every time i was told 24 hrs and 48 hrs it will be ported. But never worked, after finding out they will not be able to port my old phone number i told them to cancel my service. I was told to take it to the store to return the phone and when i did I found out i had 14 days to return so they were not able to take it back they have 14 days return policy. After couple of months i got an email that they reported collection on my credit bureaus that i owe AT&T $1799.80 . Then I went to the store and the manager told me they will never be able to port phone number from my service provider because they work together. So they lied to me and sold me a phone that i will never be able to use with my old phone number and they charged me extra $600 for fees and cancellations. This kind of service is not acceptable, not only they charged me extra on the phone and the plans they really messed up my credit score and im in the middle of buy a house. They are trying to make money off of people that are struggling on this hard days when people already have too much to worry from Covid-19. I would never ever do business with AT&T and will never ever recommend any of my friends or family to this mobile provider. They are all lies. Do not buy mobile service from at&t their customer service is really bad they hang up the phone in the middle of conversation.they lie to sell phone u cant use. They lie and sell service without providing the service. Its a scam don’t buy anything from At&t

Schapman Woodstock, GA

I was on a call with an agent in late March 2022, and she was very kind and helpful. She set me up with a new wireless agreement that allows for two lines. I am now being charged MUCH more and no one is willing to assist me in getting the transcript or recording of the call between her and I. The guy I was talking to said I was not allowed to have a recording or transcript. I was transferred to a different department to find out that the guy I talked to told this new lady that I just wanted to cancel... I corrected this and the lady told me she would transfer me to the proper department to give me the recording. It was a dead line. I am so upset with how they are tossing me about and not allowing for proper resolution. All I was offered was a one-time credit of $20... What a disgrace of a company.

Nell B Little Rock, AR

Where do I begin? The company is disrespectful, dishonest, rude, and deceitful. I've read several reviews where the consumer entered the agreement under false pretense; then, when calling to rectify the situation, you are transferred to several different operators to repeat your problem repeatedly. I see now this is an avoidance tactic frequently used in this company to avoid dealing with the customer's complaint, found error, or a dishonest practice. Absolutely absurd and factual statements! I am a first and last time customer of ATT&T. Please be advised this is a dishonest company with deceptive practices, poor connection, and poor customer service on a regular basis. The thirteenth month has been just as distasteful as month one. I will take the monetary loss to rid this disease; for prospective clients, don't waste your hard-earn money. I have learned the hard way. Very Dissatisfied Customer

Anoushka Ahuja Orlando, FL

I am a current AT&T customer and the service is very reliable. I think I might be paying a bit more as there seem to be better offers, I do have my phones paid off so I haven’t really changed the service yet

Laura Washington Augusta, GA

AT&T has been my 1st and only cell phone provider since 2005. There products and customer service has always been excellent. Their app and on-line services are very useful friendly. Responses to lost or broken equipment is always prompt and thorough.

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

AT&T has been my provider since I have had a phone! I love that they have special deals where you can exchange your new phone for an old one at cheaper prices! I also love that it almost goes anywhere and the I can have service out in the Rocky mountains.

Morgan Farnsworth Lehi, UT

I was actually there yesterday because my phone was not working, the people working there were not able to help me with my phone but they were super sweet and helpful and they told me exactly what to do and where to go, I really appreciate how helpful they were!

Erinmarie Xian Seffner, FL

I've been a loyal customer with ATT for over 20 years (ATT, Bellsouth, Cingular back to ATT). Its the first cell phone my parents bought me and once I was old enough to get my own phone I opened my own acct. I've used my cell service all over the world and have rarely EVER had no service. I'm talking Europe, Trinidad, Canada and even Alaska and Alligator Alley in FL (known for having no service). Never a problem.

Fred Frontino Mesa, AZ

I bought a house last year just outside town and could not get any cell reception with Verizon. ATT put up a new tower near us so we switched and have been thrilled with the service and reception. I usb tether my computer to my cell and get much faster speeds than with my actual ISP. I added a couple extra lines at 30 gb data each and have been thrilled with the service. Also got a new Samsung 20Ultra the day they came out for free for changing over.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

I have used AT&T for years now. Nothing beats their cellular coverage. Calls are never dropped and their customer service is first rate. I have traded in phones many times and find that the experience is great. They handle everything and treat you right. They have extremely knowledgable staff and support. I know I feel that I've made a great purchase each time!

Allan Boldt

AT&T gave us a price when we signed up for service and have lived up to their agreement. No hidden fees of any kind. Although they do not offer our plan to new customers they have not changed our plan. Another good thing is that ATT's coverage is good locally and wherever we travel whether it be nationally or internationally. It has been easy to change our coverage to internatonal coverage when we travel.

Trevor Pasquale Port Richey, FL

Use to be a t-mobile customer before I made the move to at&t let's just say making the switch was the best ever with T-Mobile I had lots of dropped calls slow data & when I traveled up north barley ever had coverage. With at&t I have coverage everywhere plus fast data & me & my wife did the buy one get one on the galaxy s9+'s & we both are extremely happy & love at&t I would highly recommend at&t to every one.

Lynda David Conroe, TX

I have been with them for over 6 years and if I have any trouble at all they are very helpful. No matter what it might be billing errors, or need more time to pay my bill even except parts of the payment with an agreement on next due payment date for remaining balance. They help me with the best plan for my usage on several lines. They are very kind and quick to help.

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

I've been a customer of AT&T for 15 years with no major complaints. I'm grandfathered in to their unlimited data plans which has been great until recently when trying to add lines to our plan. Our plan is too old so there's no monetary incentive to add anyone to our account - they claim that these old plans are 'shaped' differently so no new service fits into that model. AT&T has better coverage on the drive from Utah to eastern Washington state - one I make often - than any other carrier's coverage so it was a no brainer to stay with them over the years. I do find it annoying that their billing details and weird fees aren't easily understood.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Have had my cell service with AT&T for over a decade. Service is strong everywhere I've been. The addition of other international services being included is super helpful for travel especially to Mexico and Canada. Only complaint is you have to inquire about there new programs or they keep you on your old plan. Often times you can get cheaper service with more/unlimited updates just by asking. Worth speaking with them once a year to see if you can save

Jeff Dallas, TX

I have been with AT&T cellular for 27 years without interruption. Of course, it was "Southwestern Bell Cellular" back then. I travel all over the United States to cities large and small. I'm a storm chaser who uses AT&T cellular to stream live video from Texas to South Dakota, California to North Carolina. In my chase truck I use cellular cards from BOTH AT&T and Verizon because those two have excellent coverage. But my phone I carry every day is AT&T. Top tier coverage and less expensive than Verizon. Sprint was always pathetic outside major metro areas, and T-Mobile while better than Sprint by a large margin is still behind AT&T and Verizon by a large margin no matter what their maps say. That is my real world experience. My daughter is on T-Mobile.

Jackie Hanko Tampa, FL

Through all my years of having a cell phone I’ve never had an issue with AT&T… I currently have a Rison only because I am under my sisters plan but prior to that I wasn’t AT&T customer for many years and I never had any issues and my family continues to use AT&T and I never hear any issues from them… I believe the AT&T and Verizon do you have the best service and it doesn’t seem to matter where you go you will always have service it doesn’t go out in any specific black out area which is very comforting to know especially if your car is going to break down or you’re scared it’s good to know that you can rely on AT&T

Kristin Pegram ,

I have been with AT&T for over 10 years. I started with their Uverse package and rolled over into using only only their internet and streaming app, AT Tv. Due to taxes on cable in Texas, my bill changed way too much. Nothing to do with AT&T. Overall, my experience has been a good one. Their customer service has improved over the years, they are happy to fix anything that’s wrong with the internet service, my bill stays the same. If I’m unsatisfied with something they certainly do their best to make amends, usually by offering a discount on part of the bill. Service rarely experiences any interruptions in my area, and out entire house is typically streaming at one time. Overall, good experience for me.

Deano Gulfport, MS

Been with this company for over 10 years. I couldn't be happier with the service I've been provided. They've always gone above and beyond to help me and keep me happy. No plans to be with any other carrier. Great financing program too for the costly smart phones. I recommend att to anyone who is looking to set up a plan for phone service. The app makes managing my account quick and fast, also has a great chat program for instant customer service. I do dislike the costly fee for when they add 1 gig of data when you go over your monthly limit, I had my overage option turned off to avoid the $15 fee.

Stephen Demasi New York, NY

Trying to transfer my fathers phone number to a different phone within AT&T. Because he can’t remember his PIN number his number can’t be saved. After waiting on hold to speak with a supervisor twice for over an hour I finally gave up. Not mention hours spent in the local AT&T store without results. I don’t know AT&T can stay in business with such poor customer service.

Joseph Bassil Hayward, CA

Truth be told, I had one of if jot the WORST experience with AT&T. I got this iphone 13 ordered over the phone, told the representative that I do need a phone number, I just need the iphone, made sure He CONFIRMED THAT just letting everybody know. The representative told me that I will get the iphone with a temporary phone number that’s gonna be deactivated once I receive the phone. DID NOT HAPPEN. I called AT&T right away, explained that I do not need the number, went to their store, spoke to a manager over there and over the phone; filed a case and got a case number, tole me that it’s gonna be canceled in a 7-10 business days, DID NOT HAPPEN. And here I am calling them now, and they’re basically saying there’s nothing they can do. I WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR 30usd/month for a phone number I AM NOT GONNA BE USING, FOR A PHONE NUMBER I ALREADY ASKED FOR ITS DEACTIVATION A MILLION TIMES. THIS IS BAD SERVICE! ACTUALLY PRETTY CLOSE TO A FRAUD

Steven Geimer Meadville, PA

ATT gave me an offer over the phone on a recorded line and now bill is almost twice what was absolutely committed a month ago on their recorded line. Customer service spent hours telling me sorry and then giving same price. I am amazed a company can be allowed to misrepresent their product like this and quote wrong price (they said 67 a month. bill will be 119). NEVER EVER TRUST WHAT THIS COMPANY SAYS. You must go to a store and get written contract with explicit bill amount. Over the phone commitment means nothing and they bill whatever magic number they feel. How can a company be allowed this to happen?

AlisaD Salt Lake City, UT

Had this service for almost 20 years and have never had a problem. Coverage is great in all areas. They also have a great family plan for multiple phones.

Michael White Irvine, CA

AT&T is ok if your do everything in their kiosk or store. But if you order an upgrade online, you better hope they do not use Enjoy to deliver the package. You will never get it. I finally gave up waiting 5 days for a next day delivery. The company Enjoy who does the deliveries, is the absolute worst! Excuse after excuse, promises of delivery, oh, and the 45 minute wait time for support. Unprofessional, and unactable. When my contract is up, goodbye AT&T!

darcy sullivan Pensacola, FL

I have used AT&T for most of my life, and it has been very satisfactory. Although I have run into a few problems with AT&T, the problems always get fixed in a timely manner and everyone who works at AT&T is very kind and helpful.

Victoria Hahn Dallas, TX

I recently joined AT&T and I have to say my service is much better than my previous provider. I live in Florida and have not found a “sore spot” in my service yet. I have have been using them since August, 2021 and would not switch back! I highly recommend!

rosalind donovan Naples, FL

AS an older senior it was wonderful to have a knowledgable young man named Gregorios P assist me setting up my new 4G flip phone. He was patient and answered all my questions while demonstrating how to enter Contacts, etc. He made it easy to be an AT&T customer and to stay one!

Frank Orlando, FL

As a DirecTV subscriber I would like to thank you for assisting my with my Subscription issues last week. You were thoughtful and efficient in following up With the situation. You also provided me with useful information. I received my Package quickly and completely. Thank you

MindyV Lubbock, TX

I currently have AT&T as my wireless provider and I'm really not very happy with them and I'm considering changing. First of all, they have NO CLUE how to process auto pay. Auto pay shouldn't be tricky at all!!!! It should automatically take money out of the debit card that is on the account at the time the payment is due. That should be simple. But apparently it's not. After I switched to AT&T and set up autopay, I received a text message and an email saying that my autopay was processed. They took the money out of my account and then they put it back in my account a few days later, claiming that I was late on my payment. It's very annoying when they offer a discount to customers who use autopay, but they have no idea how to process autopay properly. Since I don't trust them with autopay, I'm manually making my payments, so I don't get any discounts at all. But I can't trust them to process my autopayments at all!!!!! You'd think that a huge company like AT&T could handle figuring out how to process autopayments, but sadly they can't. My best friend has cell phone service with AT&T and they allow her to upgrade her cell phone when she's paid for half of what is due on her current cell phone. AT&T refuses to let me upgrade until I've paid off my cell phone in full. They don't treat all customers fairly or the same.

Linda Sinclair

I've been with AT&T since the iPhone came out. Service has improved significantly over the years. I've always received great customer care. Last time I got the best care of reducing my bill based on my usage and discounts. Awesome. My son uses AT&T and I recommend to my friends and family. Wish for more towers. I do get spotty service in places.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

We switched to AT&T to find better cell phone coverage and we have not been disappointed. We have experienced few dropped calls and with a discount from work, the service is affordable. We have had difficulty working with some of the sales people in the stores, they are not so friendly or service oriented. They act as if they have plenty of customers, who cares if they upset one or two.

Sally Welliver Bullhead City, AZ

We have been with At&t since the 90's. I have often compared prices with service over the years and would not switch. We have excellent service everywhere we go, we have great customer service, and the monthly rate for all the extras we receive is definitely within reason.

Lourdes Rivera

We had been a customer since 2001 and we are very happy any issues we may have ATT we do the best to resolved or may applied credit customer service excellent and any store we may stopped by from sign in to service extraordinary we are very satisfied with them

Amy

I only switched carriers because for the first time AT&T had an in home rep at the house when they were updating my cable. Bad decision. The service is fine but the reps information was not accurate as far as the discounts were concerned and how to obtain your rebates. I did this in March and still to this day I'm having problems as apparently one of my phones was never se The service is fine but the reps information was not accurate as far as the discounts were concerned and how to obtain your rebates. I did this in March and still to this day I am having problems as apparently one of my phones was never sent in. Just problem after problem as far as that part of it goes

Joylinn Lancaster, PA

Price could always be better. Called to tell them we wanted to leave because of price and they basically price matched us the amount Tmobile gives you for unlimited data which we didn't have. Now we have unlimited data at the same price we were paying when we only had 15 gigs.

Christy Suguturaga Orem, UT

I have been with AT&T since they were Pac Bell. I never had a problem wherever I went. My sister decided we should all switch providers and everything went bad for us. Missed calls, dead zones, the slowest data ever!!! Nightmare! After a few months of nonsense we switched back and now all is well again. I will never do that again!

Christy Johnson Weiser, ID

i have tried several cell phone providers, including the disposable phone companies. I LOVE AT&T. They have very competitive rates, their customer service is great, and the calls are always clear and crisp. I changed companies a few times trying to save a buck, but I always end up coming back to AT&T. I would highly recommend them to my friends and family! GOOD JOB AT&T!!

KathyRW

I am very satisfied with the service AT&T provides me from a cell phone perspective. The staff at The Greene location in Dayton, OH are exceptional both from a knowledge perspective, but a professional and friendly perspective as well.

Janice Pujol Chandler, AZ

I have been with AT&T for about 4 years the only reason I switched from other company is because I travel to Mexico very often and their service is the best. They have LTE that sometimes is faster than here in the USA. Definitely recommend it