AT&T

6.9

AT&T Wireless is a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&T. AT&T Wireless broke off from AT&T in 2000 and offers cellular and data services to 118.7 mobile customers in the United States. This is significant number of customers making it the second largest wireless communications provider in the country after Verizon. AT&T Wireless is headquartered just outside of Atlanta. AT&T Wireless was formerly known as Cingular Wireless. In 2011, AT&T tried to acquire T-Mobile. However, AT&T withdrew from the merger offer in December 2011 in face of governmental and widespread consumer opposition.

The Good

• Great prices
  • No contract options
  • Hotspots available

Compared to other big-name cell phone providers, AT&T has some of the best prices and data plans for cell phone services. AT&T offers a barebones phone plan to customers starting at just $25 a month. This is a great non-contract option for customers who want a basic phone plan with no data connection. This is also a great product because customers can get unlimited text and voice at a price that undercuts both contract and non-contract competitors. (Note that this is not a contract phone).

Since AT&T offers both non-contract and contract cell phone services, they try to keep their customers as informed about what services in each bundle. They make it clear as to what the difference between the contract and non-contract phone services include. Customers particularly appreciate the clarity behind phone plans and services. Many phone users complained that other companies did not allow them to change their phone plan with an outdated phone. AT&T provides SIM cards for the older iPhone 4, while also providing the latest iPhone 5 and iPhone 6. With these SIM cards, phone users can continue to use their phone for a little bit while longer if they don't have the money to purchase a new phone. In addition to Windows phones and Android phones, users can also get a phone with the Amazon Fire operating system, helping them enjoy their eBooks and apps purchased through Amazon. AT&T was one of the few companies that had the Fire operating system available for customers.

Additionally, AT&T also sells other devices that can be managed with the cellular plan. Some of these products include: tablets, cellular modems and routers for computers, and even digital TV services. AT&T has tablets available that support Windows 8, Apple iOS, Android, and the Fire OS from Amazon. In fact, AT&T was one of the only companies that had the Amazon Kindle Fire available for customers to purchase.

Another thing current customers like about AT&T was the number of mobile hotspots that they had available. AT&T offered several different mobile hotspots, including the AT&T Unite Pro. This device has up to sixteen hours of power and lets you also boost the battery of your smartphone. The Unite Pro also lets clients share an Internet connection with up to fifteen devices.

The Bad

• Concerns with third-party vendors
  • Mobility administrative fee
  • Other fees and issues with services

There have been some serious concerns regarding the third-party vendor problem that got AT&T into trouble with the FTC. AT&T allowed third-party vendors to use a premium SMS texting option to let horoscopes, sports trivia apps, and other services text clients and charge them $9.99/month for the messages that were associated with these premium texting products, without the customer's consent.

There was another controversy when AT&T started charging a "mobility administrative fee" in May 2013. This is a 61-cent fee that was added to its wireless postpaid lines and other services. AT&T gets almost a half-billion dollars from this fee every year. Many clients who called to terminate their service were told that this was a local or state tax. Many AT&T customers dropped their contracts by bringing up a notice of dispute.

Other concerns stem from the contract service and the overage fees. While the pay-as-you go plans are subject to data throttling, there is a service fee of $15 per GB that a client goes over their monthly data quota. The data throttling policy also brought up some issues with some customers. Some customers who have purchased the unlimited data policy have successfully sued AT&T Mobility for the data throttling policy. Some customers have complained about the slowness of the network when they start using a lot of data on their monthly-unlimited plan.

The Bottom Line

AT&T Wireless tries to offer contract and plan flexibility to their customers by including both contract and non-contract services. They have some of the easiest "entry-level" plans in the industry and a wide variety of phones to choose from. AT&T is also one of the few companies that have the Amazon Kindle available to customers. In order to get the most out of your data plan, make sure you have purchased the appropriate monthly data plan for your non-contract phone. If you start getting towards the end of your data quota, you may find that your data plan is being throttled.

Current customers appreciate the number of non-phone products available to customers. AT&T Wireless has one of the most diverse offerings of mobile hot spots, with one brand being able to support up to fifteen devices. There are also battery backup options on most of the mobile hotspots for smartphones that may need a quick battery boost.

3.1

Deborah Strang

January 12th, 2018 Billerica, MA DETAILS

I have been with Att since 2009. I have purchased two phones every year since then. I’ve never missed a payment. I’ve only had iPhones and in 2013 I added two iPads. When attnext began, I jumped onboard, and have always had good luck. Then the iPhone X debuted and I still had my 2 iPhone 7s so I upgraded early and paid the fees associated. Herein lies the rub; my iPhones x arrived with an old iOS but I had already upgraded my iPhones 7. Unbeknownst to me, this created a situation unfavorable for completing a final backup of my old phone, which would be photos videos and messages to go to my new phone. Several phone calls were placed to att letting them know of the problem, and I even considered giving up and returning the phone to the store. I went to Att in Woburn Ma and the front door of the store was locked. So I went in through the sevond entrance. The manager asked me why I was there and when I explained, he told me he didn’t think he could help. I questioned that having had returned phones exclusively in store. He told me he couldn’t find any phones to be returned under my account. Funny thing- he never took my name, number, or my device. I left, calling Att on my way- explaining that I tried to return the phone, but noticed that I still hadn’t completed back up. This was my third communication with Att- I explained that I was worried I was losing important data and the rep said don’t worry- it doesn’t matter if you’re a little late- but check that both iOS are the same. Three more tries and two more calls to att with assurances from reps and supervisors that my data was more important than a deadline and finally I got it all backed up. I called att and explained that I still didn’t want to be charged- they said you haven’t been charged, but you need to get the phone back- the rep made a note in my account and told me to go back to att speak to a manager at the store and that her note would recommend to him that he should accept the phone. He couldn’t. He did print a return label for me, so I went home called att, explained that, and promised to ship the next day. I offered to call back with s tracking number, and was told absolutely to do that. I did. I called back two weeks later when I was charged for the phone I no longer had. The rep said they will absolutely remove that charge when they process the return- it’s the holidays so it shouldn’t be a problem, but it might take a bit. Yesterday, I got a call from my mom, who will also be a former att customer soon and was told that a package had shipped to her house??? I opened the package, and there was my phone, with a sticker slapped on it, and a note- it said this phone is yours to keep. You missed the deadline for returns. Thanks for being a loyal att customer. I called and spoke with Juan: I stated that I was upset about the above and that I felt att deserved one last opportunity to make things right for a good customer. Juan said he could help, then said he could make it “real simple for” me - “you missed the deadline. It doesn’t matter why or who you spoke with. “ I asked for his supervisor, he said one moment, and I was connected with McKenzie- she was a rep in account cancellations. I asked again for a supervisor. M said she could help. When she couldn’t I asked for the supervisor again and she said no supervisor at 5pm est was available and that”this was the last word. “ I tweeted @AttCares at 7:33 last night anc they replied saying the would try to make things right and I’ve never heard another word. I am very disappointed.

Shelley

January 11th, 2018 Freer, TX DETAILS

A neverending haze of terrible service, and thousands and thousands of dollars.

Margaret

January 6th, 2018 Charlotte, NC DETAILS

This company has the worst customer service. I paid my bill online and chatted with one of their representatives online. The agent told me everything was fine but two days later my service was disconnected. The agent I spoke with added another payment to be due on the same day that I had already made a payment. I chatted again online and was told that my chat with the previous agent did not exist and they could not help me as the added scheduled payment was not made. I explained that if I intended to make two payments in one day, I would have have both at one time. They refused to assist further and I am currently looking for another cell phone carrier that I can trust. I was with this company for over 8 years. Their customer service will be the cause of this company losing customers.

Deborah Roth

December 31st, 2017 Lake Worth, FL DETAILS

I’ve been with AT&T for many years. The service is great and so is the customer service on the phone as well as in the stores.

Veronica

December 21st, 2017 Haltom City, TX DETAILS

Have 12 lines, 3 accounts and been a customer since 04 and still I wasn't allowed to add a line because 1 account was past due. And it wasn't even the account I was needing to add to. Everyone I talked to was rude and basically told me to cancel if that's what I want.

Lainey Hashorva

December 20th, 2017 Van Nuys, CA DETAILS

Wasted so much of my time on hold and dealing with ineffectual representatives re accessing my account, a user on my account that I've never heard of and locked into a bogus contract for another 18 months when everyone around me is upgrading and getting free phones. Such a waste of time and so lacking. They are too big to deal.

Jonathan

December 20th, 2017 Bountiful, UT DETAILS

I have had good and bad experiences with AT&T with billing, service and customer care.

Benjamin Ash

December 19th, 2017 Logan, UT

I almost always have service, they have always cooperated well with my family so we have a great plan, and the store associates are always very friendly and helpful.

Smith Stephen

December 19th, 2017 Crab Orchard, WV DETAILS

AT&T owners of directv announced price increases in January. I pay these guys $150.00 a month. Yeah that’s right I don’t care what you see in there ads. I do have Staz/encore which will be canceled to off set this increase. If it does off set it enough I’ll look into DISH NETWORK.

Mike Szczepanski

December 19th, 2017 Hartford, WI DETAILS

Working out the bugs is frustrating. The product is good when it's working. The techs seem to be friendly, intelligent about the product but held back by the I eternal workings of the support process. Far too many layers for the techs to have to deal with just to get what needs to be completed. Work on reducing the layers and I think your support could be top notch.

Charlotte Ash

December 19th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I have been with AT&T for many years. They have been ok on cell service. And good to fair on customer service. They seem to be high on cost of there products. The Sale men are good if you get the right one!!!

Dale Ash

December 19th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I really like AT&T. We've had our family plan with them for many years. They take good care of us with phones and service. The staff at their retail centers are helpful and competent. Our phone service has been very good. Very few dropped calls. We've been very happy!

Tiffany

December 18th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

I have been with AT&T for 13 years. I felt like they were a really good company. Right up there with Verizon. I generally have great coverage and very rarely can't get calls. I liked their "free phone" upgrade they used to do after you had your phone for so long. I always looked forward to it. Now they just tack on a charge for your phone. I switched over to a new phone during one of their promotions and I have had issues with it. I don't see what benefit there is to staying with one company now days. Just jump to the one that gives you the best deal.

Andrea

December 18th, 2017 Middletown, NJ DETAILS

Given a QUOTE over phone, sign up, then bill is $30 more than quoted plan price. I called AT&T on December 10 to get a quote for 5 mobile lines. (I hope this call was recorded) I was QUOTED a price of $158 plus tax and no activation fees for the Unlimited Choice Plan for 5 lines with AutoPay discount and NYC Dept. of Education discount. The agent was courteous and professional. She put me on hold and asked her manager to verify the discounts. I double and triple checked the final price with her. $158 plus taxes and no activation fees. I agree then and there to sign up. I get the SIM cards in the mail and activated 5 phones today. I go online and see a price of $185 plus taxes! Also, $323 in activation fees!! I online chat with James, who was very nice. He puts me through to manager, Edessa. She was extremely rude and dismissive. I am never one to complain. I was QUOTED a price on the phone and then told no a week later. Edessa refused to honor the quote. She was discourteous and very unprofessional. How does a company give a quote then rescind? I will have to cancel my newly activated service due to this and poor customer service.

Suzanna Wootton

December 18th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS

I loved having AT&T as my cellphone provider. I always had really good reception.

RANJit

December 16th, 2017 Irving, TX DETAILS

Stupid and crappy they charge me unauthorized

Jacinda E

December 14th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I have had AT&T for ten years. Only the last two years I began service with a smart phone. I did notice that compared to my one friends growing up I did not have service in certain areas but she did with Verizon. Overall though I was satisfied with the service and how AT&T helped me get important information off of wet, cracked, and other broken phones.

Patrick

December 14th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

I pay $65 a month and I have unlimited everything. I know that does not apply to everyone but that is a sweet deal. This is worth it for me. I would really recommend them.

Becky Stiggins

December 13th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Overall I am very happy with AT&T. Their customer service is excellent, but I do have some issues with coverage periodically.

Chuck Stiggins

December 13th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Fairly good service. The price is a little high. Occasionally I get dropped calls which can be frustrating.

Junior Younger

December 12th, 2017 Paragould, AR DETAILS

The Day B4 Thanksgiving my phone decided to LOSE SERVICE. I called AT&T Customer Service and was told of an outage in my area and also got cut off every time I was in process of phone call with a rep to discuss my issue. I went to my local store and was told a NEW SIM CARD is my issue. Had it 2 weeks now and seems to be working well...... The fact that I spend $60 /month for service and deal with this situation is unbearable. Should any more issues arise I will be switching service.

Lindsey

December 10th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

In our area, AT&T is the best option for phone service. It's the cheapest option for the coverage it provides.

Hannah

December 9th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

AT&T has been fine. My family has used them for the past six years. Service has been good everywhere we go, but customer service is disappointing. We especially were disappointed with our recent trip to Europe - we went to the AT&T store to get our international plan set up, and the employee was very clear that we would be getting just as much data and service as our domestic plan. When we got abroad, we found that reality was very different. It sucked. And AT&T wouldn't do anything to help us. Bummed, but their day-to-day service for us is fine, so we stay with them.

Rebekah

December 7th, 2017 Williamsburg, KY DETAILS

Several evenings ago, the service on my phone began to randomly go from full bars to zero then to "no service". For approximately 30 minutes, it did this every 30 seconds or so. After about 30 minutes of come and go service, it went to "no service" again and stayed that way for approximately 12 hours before service was finally restored. I was unable to get any help from ATT Cares and it took days for an actual person to message me back about the issue, which is obviously now resolved so that message was pointless.

Marta m granata

December 7th, 2017 Titusville, FL DETAILS

Keep changing plans and promising more but providing less for more money. Phones OVERPRICED. Customer service isn't there because bottom line is money and profits not people. Better service for much less through straight talk.

Niki Josephsen

December 5th, 2017 New Port Richey, FL DETAILS

Horrible Customer Service. Always calling regarding higher pricing, service clipped for no reason, customer service screwing up my bill and AT&T holding me responsible for their lack of knowledge. I call them every 2 weeks to go over the same thing.

Jessica

December 3rd, 2017 Alpharetta, GA DETAILS

Watch out for “free” products att Uverse provide you for signing up for a 2 year contract. Their free tablet is costing me $15 a month for 2 years and I can’t cancel it or return it. So my free tablet (that i refused when offered and was mailed anyway) is costing me for the next two years.

Brandie Rothrock

November 30th, 2017 Winston-Salem, NC DETAILS

We moved from SC to NC 8 years ago. Called to tell them to update the address. Aparently they only updated 2 of the lines and continued to charge us higher SC taxes on one line. Then we added my dad and stepmom. It seems they decided to put my stepmoms primary address as SC too and charged us higher taxes. We just now found this out. I dont get paper bills. I get electronic to my bank. I figured since we called to change our address and the account shows our proper adress that all things were correct. It appears not. They basically said thats our problem not theirs and they didn't care.

Alex Rogerson

November 29th, 2017 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

I have been a customer of AT&T for over 10 years. They have always been more affordable than Verizon and I haven't ever had to suffer a lack of coverage where I live. My only complaint is that they are starting to get more expensive and calls drop a lot more often since we have moved.

Brittney

November 28th, 2017 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS

Well this Saturday , thanksgiving weekend . I met into an accident . One of you’re company’s service truck ran into my back at a stop light. My phone flew of the middle console and shattered (I have att as my service provider btw) I just really wish I could fix my phone

Hayley Lambdin

November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT

Their prices are a little high, but they have great service, based upon other family members experiences. Despite the prices, I might look into getting our cell phone service through them in the future.

Megan

November 5th, 2017 Coalville, UT DETAILS

I've had AT&T for the longest time. There are several times when others don't have service and I do. They are also one of the best providers in my small town.

Nichole Davidson

November 3rd, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I've been a customer of AT&T for 15 years with no major complaints. I'm grandfathered in to their unlimited data plans which has been great until recently when trying to add lines to our plan. Our plan is too old so there's no monetary incentive to add anyone to our account - they claim that these old plans are 'shaped' differently so no new service fits into that model. AT&T has better coverage on the drive from Utah to eastern Washington state - one I make often - than any other carrier's coverage so it was a no brainer to stay with them over the years. I do find it annoying that their billing details and weird fees aren't easily understood.

Gary Mayer

November 2nd, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Had this service and had to drop them because of poor service

Alex Murphy

November 2nd, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS

AT&T is a great phone company. They have good coverage in my area. It seems a little expensive for what you get, but the network seems reliable.

Tamra

October 31st, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS

Great cell coverage. Reasonable price. We have been with AT&T for a few years now and feel like they are very competitive as far as price for monthly service.

David

October 30th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

AT&T has pretty good coverage. Their costs are a bit high and if you want a low cost option, you may be able to get one, but the sales person is going to make it difficult to find.

Katelyn Empey

October 29th, 2017 Logan, UT DETAILS

I like the company pretty well. It's pretty reliable, but there have been times that have been difficult to make changes to my account. It also doesn't get the best service in certain areas of the country. Cities are most reliable but rural areas are sometimes difficult.

Carilee Wilson

October 25th, 2017 Roy, UT DETAILS

In dealing in store with customer service they have been very helpful. The problem we have had AT&T is that we have several cell phone users on account, however, only a couple of cell phone holders can review or make changes without the primary account holders present, even if okayed or consented verbally by the primary (after verification of primary data).

Adrienne Leonard

June 28th, 2017

I am not an AT&T customer but someone has put my email address as the contact email for their new AT&T account. As a result, I receive in my inbox all their confidential information (access credentials, billing, confirmation of installation appointments, account PIN, etc.) This has been going on for well over a month. I have repeatedly contacted AT&T customer support by twitter and by phone (which is not cheap, given that I live in England) but they refuse to do anything about it. They now no longer reply to any of my twitter messages, private or public.