AT&T Logo

7.2

LAST UPDATED: November 18th, 2021

AT&T Wireless is a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&T and was formerly known as Cingular Wireless. Headquartered just outside of Atlanta, GA, it offers cellular and data services across the U.S. It the second largest wireless communications service provider in the country after Verizon.

T-Mobile Logo
#2 T-Mobile chevron_right
3.6
TracFone Logo
#4 TracFone chevron_right
3.9

The Good

• Basic Plan Affordability
  • Unlimited Plans
  • No-Contract Options
  • Device Compatibility
  • Hotspots Available

Basic Plan Affordability

Compared to other big-name cell phone providers, AT&T has some of the best prices for talk and text cell phone services.

AT&T offers a barebones phone plan to customers starting at just $30/line per month (when you enroll in monthly credit card or bank AutoPay). This is a great non-contract option for customers who want a basic phone plan with minimal data (1 GB). This is also a great product because customers can get unlimited text and voice at a price that undercuts both contract and non-contract competitors.

Unlimited Plans

Customers who want unlimited data also have some good options with AT&T's unlimited plans. Data plans are on the pricier side but include good network coverage and ample entertainment benefits.

Starting at $40/line per month, you get unlimited talk minutes, text, and data at 4G LTE speeds in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, as well as 480p DVD quality video streaming (max of 1.5 Mbps) and access to 35+ live TV channels.

The carrier's top Premium plan includes even more entertainment options: a choice of one complimentary membership with HBO, Cinemax, Pandora Premium, or a number of other entertainment services.

No-Contract Options

AT&T offers both non-contract prepaid cell phone plans and contract cell phone services and is clear as to differences between what each plan includes.

Device Compatibility

AT&T provides a SIM card for users with older iPhones and Android phones if you want to bring your own device. With these SIM cards, phone users can continue to use their phone for a little bit while longer if they don't have the money to purchase a new phone. Or, they can purchase any unlocked phone to use on the AT&T network.

In addition to Windows phones and Android phones, customers can buy phones with the Amazon Fire operating system, allowing them to enjoy their eBooks and apps purchased through Amazon.

Additionally, AT&T also sells other devices that can be managed with the cellular plan, including:

• Tablets
  • Cellular modems and routers
  • Digital TV services

AT&T has tablets available that support Windows 8, Apple iOS, Android, and the Fire OS by Amazon.

Hotspots Available

AT&T offers a number of different mobile hotspots, including the AT&T Unite Pro. This device has up to sixteen hours of power and lets you boost the battery life of your smartphone. The Unite Pro also lets clients share an Internet connection with up to fifteen devices. Several of AT&T's plans include mobile hotspot data usage, including the Unlimited3 plan which allows up to 10 GB of 4G LTE data with mobile hotspot.

The Bad

Customer Complaints

AT&T reviews bring to light concerns stemming from the contract service and the overage fees.

While the pay-as-you-go plans are subject to data throttling, there is a service fee of $15 per GB that a client goes over their monthly data quota. Other customers have complained about the slowness of the network when they start using a lot of data on their monthly-unlimited plan.

Other customers take issue with AT&T's customer service, network coverage, and pricing.

The Bottom Line

AT&T Wireless offers contract and plan flexibility to customers by including both contract and non-contract services. It has some of the best entry-level plans in the industry along with a wide variety of phones and other devices to choose from.

AT&T Wireless has one of the most diverse offerings of mobile hotspots, with one brand that is able to support up to fifteen devices. There are also battery backup options on most of the mobile hotspots for smartphones that may need a quick battery boost.

In order to get the most out of your data plan, make sure you have purchased the appropriate monthly data plan for your needs. If you start getting towards the end of your data quota, you may find that your data plan is being throttled.

View Best Cell Phone Providers

3.8

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

AT&T has been my provider since I have had a phone! I love that they have special deals where you can exchange your new phone for an old one at cheaper prices! I also love that it almost goes anywhere and the I can have service out in the Rocky mountains.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Have had my cell service with AT&T for over a decade. Service is strong everywhere I've been. The addition of other international services being included is super helpful for travel especially to Mexico and Canada. Only complaint is you have to inquire about there new programs or they keep you on your old plan. Often times you can get cheaper service with more/unlimited updates just by asking. Worth speaking with them once a year to see if you can save

Amie Tatro Dalton, GA

There isn't much I like about AT&T. It has nearly become a monopoly in my area and I would change providers but it is the only one that picks up service in my area at all. If this were any other provider, there would have been even less stars. The bill is too high, the phones cost too much. There are too many services linked to AT&T. If you call the cell phone, direct TV, home phone or whatever, it can cause issues. I can never get my Wi-Fi calling to work. I have been on the phone with 9 different individuals over a 6 hour waiting period trying to get help before. Would love it if AT&T cared about the customer like it did when it was cingular.

Jeff P Rochester, NY

As a major provider, AT&T is probably comparable to most. But, I have never had any interruptions in service and any problems that did occur have been resolved quickly and without hassle. One example was vacationing very close to the Canadian boarder (The 1000 Islands NY) and we were charged an International fee. One call not only got charge dismissed but we’re given instructions on how to avoid the charge on our next trip up north.

SummerSpringWinter Smyrna, GA

I'm been a long time customer of AT&T for my cell phone service, my husbands and our two son's. With phone calls AT&T has always been very helpful in keeping our bill low, in letting us know the latest discounts, the latest programs. And not only is the service helpful but the phone signal and reception works very well. I think it is the best cell phone service. Before this when I had 18 employees I had all of my sales people on AT&T. My sons have gone to school out of state and the service has worked very well where they live too. I'm very pleased.

Bethany Burleson Laurel, MD

I’ve been with AT&T for many years. Even when living in another area where most people didn’t get great cell phone coverage, mine was decent. The price is great for all that I get. Everything is not perfect, but it’s good enough to stick with, and I feel like most companies are all the same anyway, so I’m happy with them.

Randie S. Edmond, OK

2 separate items: Phone service and U-Verse. Phone service: Expensive but great network. Had them up until 2015. My father in law passed, we had no money, and found out my brother in law had been stealing money we all gave to him to pay the bills with (utilities, rent, shared household things). Called ATT to explain, they pretty much said 🤷‍♀️ pay your bill or lose service. Set up a payment arrangement for the next month. Then we found out about my brother in law and called to explain that we needed to split the bill or something. They immediately cancelled service and sent to collections. We never paid. We lost a huge part of our lives and had money stolen from us but money was more important to ATT. Well, 🤷‍♀️, that's why I don't have this network now. U-Verse: Scheduled 3 DIFFERENT APPOINTMENTS for a tech to come out and set up. Schedule ran behind the first 2 times. The last time? Couldn't find my house. Okay, I lived out in the country but it was in a trailer park. 4th time of scheduling, i watched the tech pull into my neighbors yard, sit there eating until my scheduled time, and then play on his phone. I took pics and called ATT about 30 minutes past my scheduled time. Let them give their excuse before going off on them about what I was STILL SEEING. Cancelled my U-Verse account right there but their tech next door couldn't pick it up. Noooooo I had to print off the packing slip and take it to UPS. Fine! I did that, and guess what? They sent it to collections because they "never received their device back". Went to UPS for my receipt and they printed me 2 copies. The guy at their counter literally told me they do that to almost everyone gullible enough. Most people end up paying the collection fee because they don't want to dispute or take the credit hit. He said what happens is they don't ship the units back individually. They wait until they have a box full and ship multiple, so if you don't have your serial number, ATT can claim you never sent yours in because how can they separate so many devices being sent in at once? They've tried to send it to 3 different collection agencies since then, and every time I smile knowing I have my crumpled up receipt 4 years later. Harassment? Maybe. Do I care? Absolutely not. I know I can fight this one.

Brandon Berwyn, IL

I have been with AT&T for 15 years. My cell service has always been flawless and I'm overall happy with their customer service. I can say, from friends experiences, AT&T excels in this area. Only critical area is you have to stay on top of them with their billing sometimes, especially if a refund or credit was issued correctly.

Ruth Manlulu Temecula, CA

I have used At&t for over 20 years. They are a good company and customer service is always friendly. At one point in life we were financially struggling and needed to save money, they were able to make arrangements for me so that I didn't lose my service.

Yael Fort Myers, FL

I loved my tenure with AT&T, I have always been with service and outfitted with the best phones in the game while having service with AT&T. Their customer service is hands down some of the best in the industry - Instore and over the phone!

Erinmarie Xian Seffner, FL

I've been a loyal customer with ATT for over 20 years (ATT, Bellsouth, Cingular back to ATT). Its the first cell phone my parents bought me and once I was old enough to get my own phone I opened my own acct. I've used my cell service all over the world and have rarely EVER had no service. I'm talking Europe, Trinidad, Canada and even Alaska and Alligator Alley in FL (known for having no service). Never a problem.

Jeff Dallas, TX

I have been with AT&T cellular for 27 years without interruption. Of course, it was "Southwestern Bell Cellular" back then. I travel all over the United States to cities large and small. I'm a storm chaser who uses AT&T cellular to stream live video from Texas to South Dakota, California to North Carolina. In my chase truck I use cellular cards from BOTH AT&T and Verizon because those two have excellent coverage. But my phone I carry every day is AT&T. Top tier coverage and less expensive than Verizon. Sprint was always pathetic outside major metro areas, and T-Mobile while better than Sprint by a large margin is still behind AT&T and Verizon by a large margin no matter what their maps say. That is my real world experience. My daughter is on T-Mobile.

J. R. Alexander Fleming Island, FL

AT&T is America's answer to how to screw a customer with a smile on your face and your hands held out for more money. Throughout my entire time with AT&T I felt a knife in my back and their hands (both) IN my wallet. I was with them for several years and my complaints about dropped calls and NO responses to my letters about problems finally convinced me to kick AT&T to the curb. AT&T is way too big for its' britches and should be cut back to size commensurate with its' ability of providing inadequate service.

C-Cubed Washington, DC

We were told when we signed up that our entire bill (two phones with unlimited plans) would be $120 a month and our first bill would be $223. Our first bill came and it was $442!! When I called, they “reviewed the charges” and then told me that was an accurate price. It’s a ripoff. Verizon is way better for the $240 a month (which is our monthly bill now). 5G runs so slow that you may as well not have your data on and it’s extremely difficult to load the GPS app because of constant service interruptions in the 5G. Even the LTE is useless. I get four times as many spam calls as I ever did at Verizon (5 calls just while I was at work from 3p-8p today) and tons of spam texts from people pretending to be AT&T and sending links. I NEVER had this at Verizon. If I wasn’t stuck in a contract, I’d switch back.

Gary Griffith Abilene, TX

Expensive services, billing rate change after 1/2 the contract period is completed. Overpriced. Service in my area is intermittent. Often discover when driving across town to the side of town that has ample towers available, that I missed a ton of calls, voicemails, and text messages. Again overpriced and limited coverage from a company that advertises 100% coverage across the nation.

Carolina Morelli Oakland, CA

We use AT & T for all of our phones (3) There aren't enough cell towers in our area making reception a bit spotty. I was signed up for a plan that gave me very poor service. Upon calling I was told that I could save money and get better service on another plan, which I now have. The rep was great !

Dave Fortin Kingston, PA

They are an okay company. I used to really like them but their monthly fees kept changing and they kept trying to charge my account for things that weren't mine. Long story short, I cancelled my service and still "owe" them money that I will refuse to pay.. No amount of communication with them fixes this and even though "the customer is always right", we apparently aren't even when we are legitimately right.

rosalind donovan Naples, FL

AS an older senior it was wonderful to have a knowledgable young man named Gregorios P assist me setting up my new 4G flip phone. He was patient and answered all my questions while demonstrating how to enter Contacts, etc. He made it easy to be an AT&T customer and to stay one!

Rob Levy Santa Monica, CA

Overall customer service has been pretty swift and helpful. I travel a lot and have called last minute to get international plans and AT&T has been very helpful. I've also had credits applied for some billing issues. Mobile service isn't great in my area and my area is a very high trafficked business district in Santa Monica which is why I'm not giving a 5-star.

PCGenetics Paradise, TX

I have used AT&T wireless prepaid for 12 yrs . and the few times i have a problem they were fast and friendly and helped me right away to my total sastifaction. I am very pleased wit thier service and support. I highly recomend this company.

Fred Frontino Mesa, AZ

I bought a house last year just outside town and could not get any cell reception with Verizon. ATT put up a new tower near us so we switched and have been thrilled with the service and reception. I usb tether my computer to my cell and get much faster speeds than with my actual ISP. I added a couple extra lines at 30 gb data each and have been thrilled with the service. Also got a new Samsung 20Ultra the day they came out for free for changing over.

Carnell Douglas Belleville, IL

Sometimes the service can be slow mind you I have the unlimited everything plan but when the service is good it’s “good”

G GA

Service in the country is spotty at best if you have data well you don't when you get in the country not very good reception everywhere privacy issues not the greatest company to go with

Dena Lenexa, KS

Worst company ever! Switched from T-Mobile to AT&T after a family issue. The cost was ($170 a month) twice what the rep said, no hotspot without an additional charge, forced to purchase two new phones, rep gave me "place holder" numbers instead of just transfering numbers. Trying to cancel was a nightmare I was told it takes 90 days before I can cancel. I asked about a cheaper plan and was told the plans for seniors are for 200 minutes no texting. Guess they believe seniors are not worth anything other than 911 calls.

Tina Brandon Norman Park, GA

We have been doing business with AT&T for 20+yrs and have no regrets. I do feel that they tend to have more dead spots with no signal or a poor signal. All in all I am pleased.

Spencer Cottle Orem, UT

My wife purchased a phone from AT&T even though she used a different provider. They were good to work with. My company uses AT&T and no complaints. Service works better than hers.

Jodianna Maitland, FL

AT&T will always give you that fast service that everyone is looking for which is great! I liked how when I went to Mexico for vacation my phone still worked without me being over charged. The only thing I do not like is how expensive it is each month!

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I have not had a good experience with AT&T cell service. Aside from prepaid providers, AT&T was my first "big girl" provider. I signed a 2 year contract with them back in the early 2000s. Service was very glitchy then and I experienced a lot of dropped calls and down service. When I would complain, I'd be given an excuse of a downed network but not offered a comp for my downed time. Eventually I decided to leave my contract 2 months early, and was told I had to pay a fee of close to $300 to do so. While I was appealing and disputing the fee they ended up tacking on more fees that ended up totaling over $700. I refused to pay for it, especially since the service had been so bad, I took a hit on my credit and sucked it up for several years to it cleared off. If they do business in the manner which they did back then, I'd like nothing to do with them.

Esther Haynie Dallas, TX

AT&T did not have current dead spots I was experiencing with another carrier. The customer service is amazing and overall very happy with the service they provided despite the increase in cost for cell service.

Frank Orlando, FL

As a DirecTV subscriber I would like to thank you for assisting my with my Subscription issues last week. You were thoughtful and efficient in following up With the situation. You also provided me with useful information. I received my Package quickly and completely. Thank you

MindyV Lubbock, TX

I currently have AT&T as my wireless provider and I'm really not very happy with them and I'm considering changing. First of all, they have NO CLUE how to process auto pay. Auto pay shouldn't be tricky at all!!!! It should automatically take money out of the debit card that is on the account at the time the payment is due. That should be simple. But apparently it's not. After I switched to AT&T and set up autopay, I received a text message and an email saying that my autopay was processed. They took the money out of my account and then they put it back in my account a few days later, claiming that I was late on my payment. It's very annoying when they offer a discount to customers who use autopay, but they have no idea how to process autopay properly. Since I don't trust them with autopay, I'm manually making my payments, so I don't get any discounts at all. But I can't trust them to process my autopayments at all!!!!! You'd think that a huge company like AT&T could handle figuring out how to process autopayments, but sadly they can't. My best friend has cell phone service with AT&T and they allow her to upgrade her cell phone when she's paid for half of what is due on her current cell phone. AT&T refuses to let me upgrade until I've paid off my cell phone in full. They don't treat all customers fairly or the same.

tracys2cents Burbank, CA

We recently switched to AT&T for internet and home phone but only because we got a special discount rate that continues for two years. Not happy with the taxes and fees that they add so make certain you research the TOTAL price per month. Service is fine and installation guy was quick and efficient.

Shar Ephrata, PA

I love the AT&T service. We always have good connections and quality. However, the 4 of 5 stars has to do with prices. We are a family of four and the cost of phones and lines are extreme. We are looking and comparing other providers. Honestly, we could own a Porsche for what we spend on our phone bill every month! Great service but much too costly and unaffordable.

Pazzo Miami Fort Lauderdale, FL

AT&T has the best customer service ever. Out of the good companies they have the best value for the service, in my opinion. I was with them for many many years and wouldn’t mind switching back in the future if I have to. Their signal/quality is the second best 😉. I would definitely recommend them.

Nina Harris-Whitten Attalla, AL

I have a bundled service with AT&T which saves me a ton of money, I have cell phone, direct tv, and internet and my bill hardly goes over 126.00 a month with all of these together. sometimes I have to call because they forget to put in one of my savings on the direct tv, which I have 30.00 and also 25.00 combined for 12 months. that is a good savings for them.

Sarah Jane Austin, TX

I’ve used AT&T for years and have never looked into any other cell phone company after finding them because they are fantastic! My bill is always the same price, always have great signal, and they are very willing to work with you if you can’t make payments on time!!

JoAnna Di Sibio Brentwood, CA

AT&T is our family cell phone provider. We have had them as our provider from the first time we purchased cell phones. We are on a family plan and we have checked out other companies but still believe we are getting the best bargain. We get the best reception even when we camp. But then right in our own homes we will run into reception issues from time to time. That's why I rated 4 stars instead of 5.

The Pearsons Lake Worth, FL

I have been with AT&T for over 20 years, when it was BellSouth even before it was AT&T. NEVER have I felt disappointed or not valued as a customer. I have received excellent customer service and have had great iPhone updates.

Subzero35 York, PA

I’ve been a customer of ATT for over 7 years and I barely ever have any issues with my bills and phones. On the rare occasion there is an issue, the customer service representatives are always friendly, treat me with respect as well as making me feel valued by the company. The company when there is an issue will always do everything they can to fix the problem. The prices are very reasonable, the service and reception are near perfect and they are always up to date with the latest technology so they can ensure their products will function properly and have very little problems. Another bonus is the sales reps will try to sell a product as its their jobs however they aren’t pushy and actually listen to the customers needs and wants. When I’ve had a phone delivered from the main warehouse it always shows up safely, quickly and the box that the phone arrives in is always secure.

Jackie Hanko Tampa, FL

Through all my years of having a cell phone I’ve never had an issue with AT&T… I currently have a Rison only because I am under my sisters plan but prior to that I wasn’t AT&T customer for many years and I never had any issues and my family continues to use AT&T and I never hear any issues from them… I believe the AT&T and Verizon do you have the best service and it doesn’t seem to matter where you go you will always have service it doesn’t go out in any specific black out area which is very comforting to know especially if your car is going to break down or you’re scared it’s good to know that you can rely on AT&T

Cheeter Karnas Montclair, NJ

Good company, service is good, getting things repaired hurts even with insurance plan, still charge you fees, but over all not bad

Tricia Middleton The Bronx, NY

The service could be far better. If my wifi is not activated, I have a hard time obtaining service. In turn, I feel like my money is being wasted because I'm paying for poor quality.

Jean Kutzer Castroville, TX

I dont like anything about AT&T. They own Cricket right? So if you switch to Cricket it's less expensive per month and the same towers etc. But if your phone came from AT&T and you want or need to use wifi calling your blocked from doing so since you did not buy it from Cricket which they own. Just like several years ago you were blocked from text messaging unless you paid extra even though its built in. And if you want to switch back or never used AT&T but want to try it out, they offer you nothing, no incentives, no anything. Not a good company.

Ajanaee x Tallahassee, FL

I have been using AT&T for years and the best data speed I have ever experienced. The only fault I would have is the high monthly bill and sometimes the service is iffy in certain areas.

Martha Moncks Corner, SC

I was a customer for AT&T for over seven years when I left I had a paid off to your old phone and was still paying over $100 per month for service they shut down their customer service at 8 o’clock at night no one to reach in case of emergency if you missed paying your bill it was a $50 service charge put on To get your phone up and running again after seven years you think I have a little leeway since my business is my phone

Karen E. Houston, TX

Been a customer with AT&T for over 2 years. Have always experienced great customer service with everyone I’ve spoken with via chat or on the phone. Definitely will continue my business with AT&T.

Debi Oswego, IL

I have been using AT&T cellular I at least eight years. Can’t find a better provider. Never had a dropped call. Always good connections. Prices now I’ve been great since competition has said in

Brandon Griess Houston, TX

Theyre great if you have no problems, but id you have any problems and have to deal with customer service you’ll then realize what youre worth to them. I was a customer for 10 years and that didnt amount to any kind of special care. Seems like the pricing is the same no matter where you go and since there is jo loyalty i switch to spectrum, i get better customer service and notice no difference in connection to wifi/cell broadband. I just remember alot of incurred fees, and year after cancelling wifi I get a bill in collections to sequium, i didnt have the chance to tell them i returmed the router and had proof before it went to collections and just paid the money to get it off my credit profile. They never called me to tell me i had an outstanding balance, and i even signed into my ATT account months after returning the router/modem and nothing on there said I had an outstanding balance. Of course when i returned the modem at FEDEX they sent it right to them and without a doubt conveniently claimed i never returned it and never called me and just let collections to take it. Equal pricing as its competitors but you will pay much more in delinquency fees, and have the privilege of talking to someone after 1 hour wait time that will transfer you and then call will drop so you can start over. The fees arent worth the time you will spend trying to fight them… but hey they paired with Apple years ago and have been riding on their success for so many years they came out on par with them just because of that paired image.

BestEggCustomer

I’m a long time customer. Good and reliable wireless network. Call in customer service is very good, nice and professional. However store agents most are not nice and often did me wrong, messed me up most of time I came to stores trying to get some helps

Ben Hayward, CA

I've been a att customer for many years and have never had a problem when it comes to mobile service always have a good connection it may be a little more expensive than other providers but definitely worth the extra penny..