AT&T Logo

7.2

AT&T Wireless is a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&T and was formerly known as Cingular Wireless. Headquartered just outside of Atlanta, GA, it offers cellular and data services across the U.S. It the second largest wireless communications service provider in the country after Verizon.

T-Mobile Logo
#2 T-Mobile chevron_right
3.7
TracFone Logo
#4 TracFone chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Basic Plan Affordability
  • Unlimited Plans
  • No-Contract Options
  • Device Compatibility
  • Hotspots Available

Basic Plan Affordability

Compared to other big-name cell phone providers, AT&T has some of the best prices for talk and text cell phone services.

AT&T offers a barebones phone plan to customers starting at just $30/line per month (when you enroll in monthly credit card or bank AutoPay). This is a great non-contract option for customers who want a basic phone plan with minimal data (1 GB). This is also a great product because customers can get unlimited text and voice at a price that undercuts both contract and non-contract competitors.

Unlimited Plans

Customers who want unlimited data also have some good options with AT&T's unlimited plans. Data plans are on the pricier side but include good network coverage and ample entertainment benefits.

Starting at $40/line per month, you get unlimited talk minutes, text, and data at 4G LTE speeds in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, as well as 480p DVD quality video streaming (max of 1.5 Mbps) and access to 35+ live TV channels.

The carrier's top Premium plan includes even more entertainment options: a choice of one complimentary membership with HBO, Cinemax, Pandora Premium, or a number of other entertainment services.

No-Contract Options

AT&T offers both non-contract prepaid cell phone plans and contract cell phone services and is clear as to differences between what each plan includes.

Device Compatibility

AT&T provides a SIM card for users with older iPhones and Android phones if you want to bring your own device. With these SIM cards, phone users can continue to use their phone for a little bit while longer if they don't have the money to purchase a new phone. Or, they can purchase any unlocked phone to use on the AT&T network.

In addition to Windows phones and Android phones, customers can buy phones with the Amazon Fire operating system, allowing them to enjoy their eBooks and apps purchased through Amazon.

Additionally, AT&T also sells other devices that can be managed with the cellular plan, including:

• Tablets
  • Cellular modems and routers
  • Digital TV services

AT&T has tablets available that support Windows 8, Apple iOS, Android, and the Fire OS by Amazon.

Hotspots Available

AT&T offers a number of different mobile hotspots, including the AT&T Unite Pro. This device has up to sixteen hours of power and lets you boost the battery life of your smartphone. The Unite Pro also lets clients share an Internet connection with up to fifteen devices. Several of AT&T's plans include mobile hotspot data usage, including the Unlimited3 plan which allows up to 10 GB of 4G LTE data with mobile hotspot.

The Bad

Customer Complaints

AT&T reviews bring to light concerns stemming from the contract service and the overage fees.

While the pay-as-you-go plans are subject to data throttling, there is a service fee of $15 per GB that a client goes over their monthly data quota. Other customers have complained about the slowness of the network when they start using a lot of data on their monthly-unlimited plan.

Other customers take issue with AT&T's customer service, network coverage, and pricing.

The Bottom Line

AT&T Wireless offers contract and plan flexibility to customers by including both contract and non-contract services. It has some of the best entry-level plans in the industry along with a wide variety of phones and other devices to choose from.

AT&T Wireless has one of the most diverse offerings of mobile hotspots, with one brand that is able to support up to fifteen devices. There are also battery backup options on most of the mobile hotspots for smartphones that may need a quick battery boost.

In order to get the most out of your data plan, make sure you have purchased the appropriate monthly data plan for your needs. If you start getting towards the end of your data quota, you may find that your data plan is being throttled.

View Best Cell Phone Providers

3.8

Jeff Dallas, TX

I have been with AT&T cellular for 27 years without interruption. Of course, it was "Southwestern Bell Cellular" back then. I travel all over the United States to cities large and small. I'm a storm chaser who uses AT&T cellular to stream live video from Texas to South Dakota, California to North Carolina. In my chase truck I use cellular cards from BOTH AT&T and Verizon because those two have excellent coverage. But my phone I carry every day is AT&T. Top tier coverage and less expensive than Verizon. Sprint was always pathetic outside major metro areas, and T-Mobile while better than Sprint by a large margin is still behind AT&T and Verizon by a large margin no matter what their maps say. That is my real world experience. My daughter is on T-Mobile.

rosalind donovan Naples, FL

AS an older senior it was wonderful to have a knowledgable young man named Gregorios P assist me setting up my new 4G flip phone. He was patient and answered all my questions while demonstrating how to enter Contacts, etc. He made it easy to be an AT&T customer and to stay one!

Erinmarie Xian Seffner, FL

I've been a loyal customer with ATT for over 20 years (ATT, Bellsouth, Cingular back to ATT). Its the first cell phone my parents bought me and once I was old enough to get my own phone I opened my own acct. I've used my cell service all over the world and have rarely EVER had no service. I'm talking Europe, Trinidad, Canada and even Alaska and Alligator Alley in FL (known for having no service). Never a problem.

tracys2cents Burbank, CA

We recently switched to AT&T for internet and home phone but only because we got a special discount rate that continues for two years. Not happy with the taxes and fees that they add so make certain you research the TOTAL price per month. Service is fine and installation guy was quick and efficient.

Shar Ephrata, PA

I love the AT&T service. We always have good connections and quality. However, the 4 of 5 stars has to do with prices. We are a family of four and the cost of phones and lines are extreme. We are looking and comparing other providers. Honestly, we could own a Porsche for what we spend on our phone bill every month! Great service but much too costly and unaffordable.

Pazzo Miami Fort Lauderdale, FL

AT&T has the best customer service ever. Out of the good companies they have the best value for the service, in my opinion. I was with them for many many years and wouldn’t mind switching back in the future if I have to. Their signal/quality is the second best 😉. I would definitely recommend them.

Jodianna Maitland, FL

AT&T will always give you that fast service that everyone is looking for which is great! I liked how when I went to Mexico for vacation my phone still worked without me being over charged. The only thing I do not like is how expensive it is each month!

Karen E. Houston, TX

Been a customer with AT&T for over 2 years. Have always experienced great customer service with everyone I’ve spoken with via chat or on the phone. Definitely will continue my business with AT&T.

Debi Oswego, IL

I have been using AT&T cellular I at least eight years. Can’t find a better provider. Never had a dropped call. Always good connections. Prices now I’ve been great since competition has said in

Nina Harris-Whitten Attalla, AL

I have a bundled service with AT&T which saves me a ton of money, I have cell phone, direct tv, and internet and my bill hardly goes over 126.00 a month with all of these together. sometimes I have to call because they forget to put in one of my savings on the direct tv, which I have 30.00 and also 25.00 combined for 12 months. that is a good savings for them.

Sarah Jane Austin, TX

I’ve used AT&T for years and have never looked into any other cell phone company after finding them because they are fantastic! My bill is always the same price, always have great signal, and they are very willing to work with you if you can’t make payments on time!!

JoAnna Di Sibio Brentwood, CA

AT&T is our family cell phone provider. We have had them as our provider from the first time we purchased cell phones. We are on a family plan and we have checked out other companies but still believe we are getting the best bargain. We get the best reception even when we camp. But then right in our own homes we will run into reception issues from time to time. That's why I rated 4 stars instead of 5.

The Pearsons Lake Worth, FL

I have been with AT&T for over 20 years, when it was BellSouth even before it was AT&T. NEVER have I felt disappointed or not valued as a customer. I have received excellent customer service and have had great iPhone updates.

Fred Frontino Mesa, AZ

I bought a house last year just outside town and could not get any cell reception with Verizon. ATT put up a new tower near us so we switched and have been thrilled with the service and reception. I usb tether my computer to my cell and get much faster speeds than with my actual ISP. I added a couple extra lines at 30 gb data each and have been thrilled with the service. Also got a new Samsung 20Ultra the day they came out for free for changing over.

Stephen Thompson Palatine, IL

Excellent cell service and support. Have been an AT&T customer for 15 years - no more switching for me!

Roberta Profitt Marcus Hook, PA

I have had 4 lines with ATT for about 15 years. They work well with my family with upgrades and services. I do believer they are a little pricy.

Ivana Marrero FL

Great! I have a family package and a business package as well. They are always able to give great deals whenever changing or adding another phone line.

Martha Moncks Corner, SC

I was a customer for AT&T for over seven years when I left I had a paid off to your old phone and was still paying over $100 per month for service they shut down their customer service at 8 o’clock at night no one to reach in case of emergency if you missed paying your bill it was a $50 service charge put on To get your phone up and running again after seven years you think I have a little leeway since my business is my phone

Brandon Griess Houston, TX

Theyre great if you have no problems, but id you have any problems and have to deal with customer service you’ll then realize what youre worth to them. I was a customer for 10 years and that didnt amount to any kind of special care. Seems like the pricing is the same no matter where you go and since there is jo loyalty i switch to spectrum, i get better customer service and notice no difference in connection to wifi/cell broadband. I just remember alot of incurred fees, and year after cancelling wifi I get a bill in collections to sequium, i didnt have the chance to tell them i returmed the router and had proof before it went to collections and just paid the money to get it off my credit profile. They never called me to tell me i had an outstanding balance, and i even signed into my ATT account months after returning the router/modem and nothing on there said I had an outstanding balance. Of course when i returned the modem at FEDEX they sent it right to them and without a doubt conveniently claimed i never returned it and never called me and just let collections to take it. Equal pricing as its competitors but you will pay much more in delinquency fees, and have the privilege of talking to someone after 1 hour wait time that will transfer you and then call will drop so you can start over. The fees arent worth the time you will spend trying to fight them… but hey they paired with Apple years ago and have been riding on their success for so many years they came out on par with them just because of that paired image.

BestEggCustomer

I’m a long time customer. Good and reliable wireless network. Call in customer service is very good, nice and professional. However store agents most are not nice and often did me wrong, messed me up most of time I came to stores trying to get some helps

Ben Hayward, CA

I've been a att customer for many years and have never had a problem when it comes to mobile service always have a good connection it may be a little more expensive than other providers but definitely worth the extra penny..

Jeffrey Edwards Sherwood, AR

Ok for phone service then took over Direct TV! Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. They know nothing about TV service. Always problems with them and bill is never the same. Wait time for help is hours and hours again when you do get in touch with them!

Dakota Routh Las Vegas, NV

AT&T is easily the worst cell phone company on the market. I was with them for 2 years only because of the contract. As soon as it was over we ran far away. Day 2 of being an AT&T customer went like this. Just signed up and bought phones yesterday. Woke up to all of our phones being disconnected for a past due balance. I'm laughing as I write this. How can we have a past due balance when we've been customers for less than 48 hours? So I call in only to get an automated recording that is requiring me to pay $150 in order to talk to someone. So I turn to online and I'm able to chat with a representative, who tells me that it's because my wife is required to put down a deposit. How can that be? She isn't listed on the account. I asked the representative to put it on my name for a reason and to add her as an authorized user. Turns out he did the reverse and put the phones in her name (not mine) and added me as an authorized user. That then triggered a deposit over night and disconnected our phones. Lol So to make a long story short. They wouldn't correct it and put it in my name like it was supposed to be and they ended up requiring us to pay the $150 to turn the phones back on. Never again.

Frank Orlando, FL

As a DirecTV subscriber I would like to thank you for assisting my with my Subscription issues last week. You were thoughtful and efficient in following up With the situation. You also provided me with useful information. I received my Package quickly and completely. Thank you

Wendy W Collinsville, IL

Billing issues are the biggest complaint. They like to add things on to the bill. You can go several months with the same bill and then they throw a loop in and your billis $100 more, call customer service and work it out to the correct amount. They try to upgrade your plan without your authorization and have even called and told me my phone was outdated and if I wanted to continue service I needed to buy a new phone at the bargain price of $900 but not to worry they will bill it to me over several months with interest. I explained that if I needed a new phone I would be changing companies. Suddenly it was okay to keep my phone that was only a year old.

KP Queens, NY

Cost for everything is my issue with AT&T. After 11 years with them you would think that they would offer free activation. I have also seen them have issue with the monthly billing. For example, last month I was charged extra do to a reset in billing and the rep stated that the next month would be less the difference in the prior month's billing. Well, this should have never happened. I like that they offer Military pricing.

DealStar Salt Lake City, UT

In my opinion, with the possible exception of the big "V" cellular service provider, no other company comes close to AT&T for cellular phone services. They are the industry standard, and my only complaint has to do with one single customer service incident that was eventually rectified. Strong connections and reliable services make this my number one choice for phone service.

Cynthia M Hazleton, PA

When I had my cell service from them, I would always get dropped calls. Or couldn't hear the other person and vise versa. Reception was poor and service was bad. I switched over to a better cell service.

Sharla Bursey Azle, TX

I have been able to get service in any area of the US. Also, they look out for me if my account is compromised. The customer service people are always frinedly and helpful whenever I need to talk to someone.

Mark Curtsinger

Called 611 to do a simple upgrade on my phone. The customer service rep took it upon himself to make a commission off me. He gave me two additional lines, which he said would be one. He promised my bill would be cheaper, but not even close. I had to go to an authorized store, return my phones, and start the process all over. I wasted 5 hours dealing with that mess. They basically have a monopoly in rural areas, and the customer be damn. The most complicated company to resolve a simple issue, and top management is a joke to allow this to take place. If you doubt my review, give them a try, you’ll see I’m being honest. They are a disgrace!

james scharoun Balch Springs, TX

Not the best company but not the worst. Once they got the billing straight and the mailing right we were ok. But not an easy task lots of red tape and robo calls. ONE thing I do notice is on ATT... I get a lot more scam calls. Not sure why that is but definitely more. Using mobile service only! Nothing special about AT&T! Just another utility co,

Tammy B. Sellersburg, IN

Terrible experience. The internet never worked, not even the fiber. The nearly destroyed my neighborhood installing fiber and now there's hideous plastic houses for it in a lot of my neighbors front yards. Can't tell you enough how horrible the internet service was, even after numerous visits by techs. Finally, a tech installed an ugly box on my kitchen wall. It goes to a box on the outside of my house so it can't be removed without hiring someone to fill in the holes sinxe he drilled several holes from inside my house all the way through to the outside. My house was brand new at the time. I would've never allowed that to happen had I realized beforehand. Internet still didn't work after all that mess either. Had to switch back ti my old provider and was stuck in a contract for services that I literally never used. They still harrass me daily with calls and now I'm receiving letters from collections demanding I pay out for breaking my contract...pay for services not recieved.

Angie D St Louis, MO

The road with AT&T has been a bumpy one for me. At first there wasn't enough negative things I could say from rude technicians to hidden additions to my plan. We were able to work things out so I can give them a 3 star review... for now.

Rodney Lee Fort Worth, TX

AT&T has been my go-to provider for years, but they drop out more than any other service I've had. The only reason I've stayed is because I've been grandfathered into a few deals and they offer HBO Max, which I love. But T-Mobile def has better service.

Lad Port Charlotte, FL

We have always had AT&T for phone coverage. It's expensive and they don't really offer specials proactively to existing customers. But it's reliable and I don't have to think about it too much.

Sara Walton Kansas City, MO

Services are good as far as the sales reps, customer service and goid pricing but the reception itself is not always worth it! The phones has went up $$$ alot through the years and the phone quality itself is a at yiur own risk kinda game they look nice from the outside but have issues once in a while i cant get a signal everywhere and there supposed to have all these towers. I own my own moving company so reception is crucial. I no longer use them

sonia ann Brewton, AL

The billing really bothers me. My bill was supposed to be 180$ a month but in average it’s 300$ or more. They always have some excuse about this Tax and that tax. The good thing is I’m not contracted with them so I can change providers the bad thing is in my area they are one of the better ones for service.

Tracy Chesapeake, VA

Customer svc is horrible. Not only are some of them rude, but very incompetent as well. I had to call each and every month up until this month to get my bill corrected. Had to reach outside of AT&T to get promotional discounts that were promised, but failed to be given. ATT truly doesn't seem to care about customer loyalty, which is unfortunate.

Jeffrey A Stapp Ellensburg, WA

They are very curtious and helpful everytime I call needing help and are willing to wait the couple times I was a few days late and have never had a problem with ATT, thank you for your excellent service

Tinisha H. Somerset, NJ

I have been a customer for 22 years and have 7 lines. Recently they helped me adjust the bill to ensure that I am receiving the best rate. They called me to help me save money. Companies don’t do this.

Bmcinroy Gonzales, LA

We have cell coverage through AT&T and we do a lot of traveling. We never have cell phone issues or dropped calls. Every state we’ve been to, we’ve had perfect cell service. We love AT&T!

MindyV Lubbock, TX

I currently have AT&T as my wireless provider and I'm really not very happy with them and I'm considering changing. First of all, they have NO CLUE how to process auto pay. Auto pay shouldn't be tricky at all!!!! It should automatically take money out of the debit card that is on the account at the time the payment is due. That should be simple. But apparently it's not. After I switched to AT&T and set up autopay, I received a text message and an email saying that my autopay was processed. They took the money out of my account and then they put it back in my account a few days later, claiming that I was late on my payment. It's very annoying when they offer a discount to customers who use autopay, but they have no idea how to process autopay properly. Since I don't trust them with autopay, I'm manually making my payments, so I don't get any discounts at all. But I can't trust them to process my autopayments at all!!!!! You'd think that a huge company like AT&T could handle figuring out how to process autopayments, but sadly they can't. My best friend has cell phone service with AT&T and they allow her to upgrade her cell phone when she's paid for half of what is due on her current cell phone. AT&T refuses to let me upgrade until I've paid off my cell phone in full. They don't treat all customers fairly or the same.

Jackie Hanko Tampa, FL

Through all my years of having a cell phone I’ve never had an issue with AT&T… I currently have a Rison only because I am under my sisters plan but prior to that I wasn’t AT&T customer for many years and I never had any issues and my family continues to use AT&T and I never hear any issues from them… I believe the AT&T and Verizon do you have the best service and it doesn’t seem to matter where you go you will always have service it doesn’t go out in any specific black out area which is very comforting to know especially if your car is going to break down or you’re scared it’s good to know that you can rely on AT&T

Wendy Voorhees Kansas City, MO

Amazing service but lacks in customer service Price was not bad but, after a year, bill varied every month Didn't have an explanation as to why.

Shelly D Baker Ozark, MO

Love AT&, We have service where other companies do not, customer service can always be reached. Very affordable family plans

Jeff B Littleton, CO

Great customer service! I know they may be pricier than others, but their reliability and customer service makes it worthwhile.

Joseph CIra Lombard, IL

Agents are readily available in most departments year round for support. I’ve typically received better phone and chat support then in the store. In events my device provider needed to be contacted I was promptly told.

Denise Urban Midland, MI

I am not very satisfied with AT&T cellphone service. Can be a bit pricey for the slow speed. Many areas I do not get good service. And the Wi-Fi once you reach your limit is extremely slow. I will be look for another cell service.

Janet F Price Patterson, LA

AT&T was a company that wasnt fair. I pay for a bill, that they said I didnt I gave them my bank statement showing the check was paid and they still said I didnt pay. I lost all my trust in them. But before that problem they was good quality company.

. Nashville, TN

Their customer service is very good and their plans beat all other competitors. Only problem is they do not have towers in rural areas. I had an account with them for many years but I was forced to switch to another provider because I could not make or receive phonecalls and texts from others because of the location I was living at the time.