T-Mobile

7.0

T-Mobile is located in Bellevue, WA. It is the United States-based operating arm of T-Mobile International AG, providing wireless voice & messaging services and data services. The company operates some of the largest networks in the United States, with a market of over 45 million customers and over $20 billion in revenues every year. Its network reaches 96 percent of all Americans. Also, JD Power and Associates has ranked T-Mobile as being outstanding in customer satisfaction four years consecutively, as well as giving T-Mobile superior marks for customer care for two years in a row. T-Mobile was founded in 1991 and as of 2013 has been traded publicly on the New York stock exchange.

The Good

• Great services and plans
  • Phone financing options
  • Great customer service

A majority of customers appreciate the simplicity of T-Mobile's services and plans. There are ten up-to-date phones to choose from, and clients can also chose from previously owned phones that are certified. This means that the phone is in perfect working order and will last a long time for a new customer.

T-Mobile has two straight forward and easy-to-use plans that do not involve a contract. The customer can either pay for their services in advance or they can pay as they go. This makes the credit check nightmare of a contract plan obsolete.

There are some credit-based possibilities for covering the price of a new phone. If a
customer cannot afford one of the more expensive phones up front but can pass a credit check, they can pay for the phone in installments. If a customer, under this agreement, decides that they no longer want service through T-Mobile, they are responsible for the remaining balance on the phone.

T-Mobile for the past four years have been the best customer service provider within the cellular industry with JD Power and Associates. They are also recognized for their outstanding care in the customer care category.

thumbnail

T-Mobile is also known for their reasonable prices. Their service, while not a contract phone, offers similar data plans that are more affordable than similar plans with other contract providers. Customers are never charged overage fees because they simply cannot use their data after they have reached their monthly quota.

With most no-contract carriers, there is no unlimited data pricing paradigms in their data plans with the exception of T-Mobile. Also, the unlimited data plan from T-Mobile was significantly cheaper than the 100 GB plans offered through US Cellular and Verizon. Current customers have experienced instances though where T-Mobile has throttled back the speed, but it happens rarely.

T-Mobile also has extensive international service. In fact, they were one of the few wireless providers that included international data and texting at no additional cost, a far cry from many of the contract providers operating in the industry.

Customers can access their account easily, speak with an online customer care representative, or use their text messaging to monitor their monthly service as well.

The Bad

• Limited phone options
  • Phones are expensive
  • Equipment installment program

Even with the strong selling points, there are limitations to the T-Mobile service. For example, they do not offer a wide range of phones to their customer base. The phones available from T-Mobile only include a few of the most popular brands. Particularly lacking was the Windows phone. T-Mobile, at this time, only offers one Windows phone. There are no BlackBerry phones. While BlackBerry is no longer a popular phone operating system, some clients prefer it for business email, voice, and data.

Another absent service from T-Mobile is a pricing paradigm that reduced the overall price of the phone. T-Mobile phones are expensive. There are no incentives for T-Mobile customers to purchase a particular phone. It is also hard to add multiple phones to the family plans if you cannot pass a credit check. Other companies had more phones to choose from, especially more lower-end phones. It makes it expensive to get started with T-Mobile.

Something else to point out is the policy regarding the Equipment Installment Program. If a customer chooses to discontinue their service with T-Mobile, they are responsible for the remaining cost of the phone if it was purchased under and Equipment Installment Program. In some ways, this is a force tactic to keep customers on T-Mobile's service without forcing a contract.

Current customers have also expressed a pattern of certain complaints. Some had experiences where they purchased a phone, soon to be discontinued, and it became obsolete after a major manufacturer rolled out a new product. Others have expressed that there is a lack of other wireless services and accessories. With other contract and no-contract providers, customers were often able to find wireless modems for installation on a laptop or computer. With T-Mobile, customers can only use tablets with data capability that can be converted into a hot spot. These maxed out at 11 GB of data per month, and would not easily suit the needs of a customer who got online frequently using their tablet as a hot spot for a laptop computer or other device.

The Bottom Line

T-Mobile is a strong carrier for those hoping to avoid long-term contracts or hidden fees. T-Mobile is known for their lower prices, no overage fees, and other controls in place that keep the cost simple for the customer. Prospective customers can expect the following with T-Mobile:

• Straight forward plans
  • No long-term contracts
  • Limited device selection
  • Unlimited features
  • Installment programs

2.5

Jen

January 23rd, 2018 Audubon, NJ DETAILS

This has been the worst company I have ever dealt with. We had our identity stolen and our number ported out as well as phones financed in our name. I have spent four days being passed between reps with promised of call backs that never happen. I was told the fraudulent phones would be removed from our bill but they are still there. The thief also still has and is using our phone number. Please google about tmobile hacks. This has happened before yet the company has refused to speedily help us. Today I called and was told no fraud has been reported yet I have called and spoke to reps for four days! Just yesterday I was told this was being worked on. This is a nightmare and Tmobile has made it so much worse. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Paul Roberts

January 16th, 2018 Zephyrhills, FL DETAILS

It's bad enough that their cellular service is poor and the signal strength is terrible. On top of that, I had to get one of their "cell spot" units because they had no service at my home and this unit was supposed to boost the signal. The device barely boosted the signal at all and basically did not work. After leaving for another carrier, I closed out the account, having paid every dollar owed. When I received something in the mail from T-Mobile after this, I assumed it would be my credit on the account. Instead, it was a bill for nearly $300. It turns out they were charging me $300 for non-return of the cell spot unit that did not work in the first place. As it turns out, enough time passed that I had not realized I owed for this unit, thinking I had purchased it instead. Because it did not work, I discarded it. I called to explain and spoke with a supervisor at T-Mobile, indicating I'm fine paying a reasonable "I am stupid" charge for my mistake, but did not feel that I should owe the entire $300 when it certainly did not cost T-Mobile that much. I also reminded her of the unit did not work. $300 under the circumstances is a "we do not want to work with you" full retail, "go away" price.. All of this was to no avail and nothing was offered but unyielding policy. I guess they didn't consider what they would end up losing in reputation and return customers. I figure that far exceeds the $300 they rigidly insisted upon... In addition to this, I was able to find half the unit which I turned in, but T-Mobile refused to honor any refund (even partial)...

John

January 1st, 2018 Tracy, CA DETAILS

When my six year old misplaced a cell phone we called to suspend the service. We simply use it for internet during long drives. We called to suspend when he lost the phone only to find out that they will suspend the account but you still pay the full amount, WHAT A JOKE!!! In order to not pay for it you must cancel the line so that you loose your phone number and if you find it and want to get a new number you have to pay the sign up fees again, GOOD BYE T-MOBILE We are changing back to Verizon or going to AT&T Service is spotty to begin with!!

Tara Beckert

December 19th, 2017 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

I would callT-Mobile an ok company. The cost for service is fairly cheap compared to others. My biggest complaint would be spotty reception. My calls drop regularly. All in all you get what you pay for.

Natasha

December 18th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Customer service is hit or miss. The signal is great, but the prices are awful.

Valerie Gundersen

December 18th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

T-Mobile’s customer service cannot be beat! Whenever I have had a problem, with T-Mobile has always come up with a solution for me!

Suzanna Wootton

December 18th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS

I've loved having t-mobile as my cellphone service provider! I love the unlimited texting and calling and love that I can use my phone in mexico.

Chris Wootton

December 17th, 2017 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Ok company to work with good product value.

Sarah Coats

December 13th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

T-mobile is a great phone company. However their stores are not the best. Judgemental boys work at them who are not helpful and just want you to go home to set up your phone so they don't have to.

Carlee Toone

December 13th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Overall, I am happy with t-mobile. In the past I have had horrendous customer service issues, but they have since been resolved in an appropriate manner.

Kaylee

December 13th, 2017 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

I recently switched to T-Mobile and I am happy with my decision. The coverage is good and the bill is much cheaper than the price my bill used to be with my old provider.

Derrick Martinez

December 13th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Decent service but they make you work for their help. Fairly cheap for their good service. Although you may still experience drops near your home.

Krystal

December 11th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

Service is sometimes very spotty and will randomly drop calls. The reception isn't the greatest at times! The only thing that keeps me with T- Mobile is the amazing price. I have found when I am calling to get an issue resolved, I have to be transferred to 5 different people before I can get any help.

William

December 7th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Service is okay, but I use T-Mobile because of the price. I really like T-Mobile once they started carrying the iPhone.

Cassidy Gundersen

December 6th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

I’ve had T-Mobile ever since I first got a cell phone. Their service used to be horrible especially when I lived in Idaho. Over the last few years, however, their service and coverage has improved a TON. I think I get better service now than a lot of my friends who have other carriers.

Emerald Scott

December 5th, 2017 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

T-Mobile has good service for the price. My biggest issue is that the phones have terrible receptions in basements and for the longest time had very little service in my hometown. Since I have moved they are better and a good bargain. The customer service is good.

Armando Ferreira

December 4th, 2017 Carteret, NJ DETAILS

About 4 months after purchasing a new ZTE Max Pro started having software issues until it went into a continuous incomplete reboot mode, they replaced it twice with refurbished phones (I'm certain broken phones they ..uhm.. "fixed") and they ask$20 each time they replace phone to add insult to injury. Phone still having issues, tmobile says phone not anything as trade in, I would have buy a new one and still have to make payments on old phone that I bought a few months ago. Terrible company. They sell crap and it's buyer be ware. Rip-off.

Victoria Records

December 2nd, 2017 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

Hey everyone, just a heads up that T-Mobile will lie to you and refuse to unlock a phone that you own for any reason they can come up with. I was lied to repeatedly by different customer service representatives about being able to unlock my phone I had purchased through T-Mobile. I was told at first that I would be able to unlock the phone even though I was still paying because I was military, then I was told I had to wait 2 weeks, then I was told I needed to pay off the $721 I owed on the phone . After I paid off the phone I was told they could not unlock it because I had to have it active on the plan in the US for 40 days. Me and my husband are stationed over seas so this is impossible, I had made all this very clear to them from the begining and they continued to lie and say that it wouldn't be a problem and tricked me into buying a phone I cannot use. So just be aware T-Mobile exploits and lies to military members.

Evan Rasmussen

November 29th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Terrible coverage on the road but if you don't travel you'll be ok

Danielle

November 29th, 2017 Syracuse, UT DETAILS

Great prices! However, the coverage isn't that great. You get what you pay for though.

Raquel

November 29th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Although service can be sketchy, the people in the store were super helpful in fixing my phone.

Earl Hall

November 28th, 2017 DETAILS

T-Mobile has paid 8 billion for a new network operating on a 600mhz frequency. Nonetheless they are selling phones, including the iPhone, that cannot access this frequency. Therefore, you are paying up to #1,000 for. phone that is already obsolete in T-Mobile. Of course they do not tell you this. After I learned this, I returned the phones and was charged a $100 fee, Besides their coverage is horrible.

Vijay

November 22nd, 2017 Des Plaines, IL DETAILS

Hi Have bought 1 iphone 7 and as per offer if i trade one phone , i will get 300 USD gift card. I have traded iphone 5 and its more than 3 month i havent receive mycredit yet. I followed multiple times, Tey just says sorry and say i wil receive credit with in 7-10 days, Its 3 month i called them 8-10 times and no gift card yet . Really fadeup with followups and thinking to move out of T mobile. I also have another iphone, requested them to unlock and its not yet unlocked even when i paid off.

Marisa Channell

November 14th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

I really love T-Mobile. My family and I have been with T-Mobile for at least 10 years now. I really appreciate how helpful their customer service is. When we have had problems in the past either with our bill being wrong, service problems, etc. T-Mobile has always had a positive attitude and were extremely helpful in answering our questions and trying their best to solve the problem. I also love that when we have gone into the store we've always been offered good deals or they have watched for ways we can save a little money. I really appreciate that!

Hayley Lambdin

November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

T-Mobile I have had a couple of times. I honestly don't think I will ever go through them again. They have spotty connection and would find any reason to charge you with a fee.

jyothi

November 8th, 2017 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

I was customer of Tmobile for 10 years, one month they charged $20 bucks saying I made international calls, they did not listen I paid and requested to block international calls again next month charged $400 extra saying I made international calls again. I requested them to enquire, they did not do, I said I don’t pay that extra amount until it resolves. They said do whatever you want and gave them collections and charged couple of hundreds extra and screwed my total credit report.

Darrell

November 5th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Affordable with good service. There reps are generally knowledgeable and give quick service. I'm very happy with my family's current plan. It is very affordable $25/person with unlimited data and calls.

Anna

November 4th, 2017 DETAILS

Used to have spotty service. It that recently improved. Has coverage to Canada and Mexico now

Derek Heiner

November 4th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

I love that they do T-Mobile tuesday, it makes it really enjoyable throughout the week. The coverage is what I really enjoy, it's gotten a lot better over the years and it has become really reliable and really high speed.

Pete

October 30th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

I've had T-Mobile for as long as I can remember and i've never had any serious problems. If there have been any problems they've been very helpful to fix it. Their family plan works perfectly for my family and keeps us at a much lower cost than other services.

Brandon Maughan

October 30th, 2017 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I have T-Mobile in Utah County. The service isn't as good as AT&T, the carrier I switched from. I switched because the pricing was better, but I guess I'm getting what I paid for.

Lindsey Andersen

October 26th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love, love, love my super low cell phone charge each month. We share an account for $20 flat per person. I also love that when I use my 2GB of data, I don't lose data - it just goes down to 3G instead of 4G. I only wish the coverage were better and faster.

Geoffrey Geist

October 25th, 2017 Mission, KS DETAILS

It's too bad there is not a choice for zero stars. Phones seem okay and cell service adequate but stunningly bad customer service. After two days and hours on the phones we still can't get them ported and 8 out of 10 customer service people we've dealt with so far were either rude or useless. I had T-Mobile a year ago and was happy with them so I don't know what happened since then but stay away at all costs. It will literally cost me $200 just to NOT do business with them and I'm paying it. Yes, you read that right, I'm paying $200 to NOT do business with T-Mobile ever again. I should have taken the sign when I went in to get the phones and an incredibly angry customer stood there screaming at them for 20 minutes for the abuse he suffered. But thought no, he just was having a bad trip. I was wrong. It's a shame that we think it's normal now to be abused by cell phone and cable companies because we have little choice.

WHITHEDEL CARRE

October 25th, 2017 Hicksville, NY DETAILS

I FEEL LIKE IM BEING SCAM. EVERY MONTH I HAVE TO CALL TO GET THE REBATE THAT WAS PROMISE TO ME AND EVERY MONTH A TMOBILE REPRESENTATIVE TELLS ME DONT WORRY IT WILL BE APPLIED AUTOMATICALLY ON YOUR ACCOUNT. BUT EVERY MONTH ITS NEVER THERE. IM GETTING AGGRAVATED IT ALMOST FEELS LIKE THEY WANT ME TO FORGET WHICH HAS HAPPEN TO ME IN THE PAST SO I CAN PAY MORE. ON TOP OF IT I HAVE 5 LINES WITH THEM NEVER BEEN LATE ON MY PAYMENT. ALWAYS ON TIME. I FINANCE A NEW PHONE FROM THEM, THEY PUT THE FINANCE ON THE WRONG LINE THAT HAS NO INSURANCE SO I CALLED AND ASK THEM TO CHANGE IT. THE REPRESENTATIVE TOLD ME AS USUAL DONT WORRY ITS BEEING TAKING CARE. BUT STILL NOW Every time I CHECK ONLINE IT STILL SHOWS THAT MY PHONE IS BEEING FINANCE ON THE WRONG LINE SO THAT WAY IF SOMETHING HAPPEN TO MY PHONE I WILL HAVE TO PAY THEM MORE MONEY. AND IT GOES ON AND ON. IM CLOSE TO TAKE ALL MY LINE AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. THE PROBLEM ISNT SO MUCH THE MONEY. IT IS JUST PRINCIPAL. IF YOU SAY YOU ARE GIVING ME A REBATE MAKE SURE ITS THERE WHERE I DONT HAVE TO CALL EVERY MONTH GET IT. AND IF YOU SAY THAT MY PHONE(FINANCE) HAS BEEN CHANGED ON THE THE RIGHT LINE MAKE SURE THAT IT A TRUE STATEMENT. BECAUSE NOW IF ANYTHING HAPPEN WITH MY PHONE I WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. DUE TO THE FACT THAT IT IS ON THE WRONG LINE.

S Asfouri

September 16th, 2017

Cancelled prepaid account in July, still has $52 in account. Haven't received refund. Today they refuse to give refund back. They said find another t-Mobile customer and will give the $52 to them!!!

JZ

September 14th, 2017 Stockton, CA

Beware, T mobile will change your number without your permission. It happened to me this morning when I received a msg from T mobile. I called customer service, they said I did change my number by using my own phone that I put on my desk no call out for at lease for two days. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of.

ashley farnsworth

September 14th, 2017 Tacoma, WA

We pay for internet for the month and we only get it for a week and when we call customer service we ask for one thing to be change and they change random things that we didnt ask for

James Holsinger

September 14th, 2017

Worst company ever to deal with, you pay what you see my butt. I have had them for year because originally they had an unlimited everything plan for $50 a month, the dumb kids they have working there aren't even aware what the company charged more than a few years ago it's sad. Anyway everytime I upgrade my phone they force me to change my plan and even though they promise it will be better it slowly gets worse. Not they have my on a plan that says it's$110 for the plan with 2 phones and $95 to pay off the phones which is $210 a month no other features or anything my bill grows every month and now its $350 a month for the same service as stated on my bills. They keep tacking on random fees and charges even though they advertise "what you see is what you pay no hidden fees" then when you try to talk to them they send you through a run around that takes days. Stupid customer service, lying backstabbing cheating company ran by a thief. The ks for ruining the only company that had any decency left.

Bons

September 14th, 2017

Their coverage is just way too hit & miss

Brandon Parsons

September 9th, 2017 Davison, MI

Worst mobile wireless company I have ever had the displeasure of having. I can say this with total confidence because I have had them all. Thumb Cellular, Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, Metro PCS, and so on. I am less than a week into my new contract with them, bought the new Samsung Galaxy S8+, and I have had nothing but issues with connectivity since day one. Mind you I am also in a well populated city less than 3 miles away from the nearest T-Mobile cell tower, I don't live out in the boonies. My main problem with them is their customer service (or lack there of). Always getting the run around, reps constantly lie to me and never give me a straight forward answer. Filed a BBB claim hoping to get the issue resolve ASAP thinking someone from main corporate office would contact me. NO!! I was contacted by a basic low level customer service rep who lied and said they were a supervisor from corporate! I know this because the number on my caller ID was the same number listed on google and website as customer service number, which does not resemble the number I know of to be the corporate number. Also was a Saturday when this rep called me and the corporate offices are only open Monday- Friday. Another technical rep lied to me stating that the towers my phone are trying to connect to are undergoing maintenance and that they would be done by the 19th of September and should have no issues after that, even though this so called "supervisor" I spoke too said that all their towers and services are working as they should and are not undergoing maintenance. If I would have listened to the tech rep and waited it would have put me past my 14 day grace period to exit my contract without paying penalties or buying out of contract. He PURPOSELY tried screwing me over by getting stuck into my contract so that my only choice at that point would have been to pay a boat load of money to buy out my contract. PLEASE AVOID THIS COMPANY IF YOU ARE THINKING OF SWITCHING!!!!!! I would rather try to string together two Dixie cups to contact someone than use their lack of services. Would probably even get better results. On another note, the rep specifically at the Lapeer, MI location had no clue what he was doing. After leaving once my services were "active" I got home and found out that he never even included my data plan into my contract! He also got my social security wrong on file AND under my EIP (equipment plan) for the two phones I purchased should of shown two identical Samsung Galaxy S8+ phones. Instead showed a Galaxy and an LG G6, a phone I don't even have! After being in the store for nearly 3 hours I seen many people come and go to pay bills and what not, but this one older lady came in (clearly didnt know how to use her smartphone) and ask the gentleman working if he could fix her phone. After explaining what she thought was wrong with it, and looking over the phone for nearly 20 minutes, this guy had the audacity to tell her that her LCD screen was broken and would cost a pretty penny to get it fixed. Being pretty tech savvy myself I asked the lady to walk with me outside the store so that I could take a look if she didn't mind. She agreed and it took me all but 5 minutes to realize that she had accidentally switched her theme profile and activated the polarized image under her accessibility settings. ( Photos were negative polarity and all her icons were white when she said they used to be black) Needless to say I completely returned her phone back to normal the way that she liked it at no cost to her.