T-Mobile

T-Mobile

T-Mobile is located in Bellevue, WA. It is the United States-based operating arm of T-Mobile International AG, providing wireless voice & messaging services and data services. The company operates some of the largest networks in the United States, with a market of over 45 million customers and over $20 billion in revenues every year. Its network reaches 96 percent of all Americans. Also, JD Power and Associates has ranked T-Mobile as being outstanding in customer satisfaction four years consecutively, as well as giving T-Mobile superior marks for customer care for two years in a row. T-Mobile was founded in 1991 and as of 2013 has been traded publicly on the New York stock exchange.

The Good

• Great services and plans
  • Phone financing options
  • Great customer service

A majority of customers appreciate the simplicity of T-Mobile's services and plans. There are ten up-to-date phones to choose from, and clients can also chose from previously owned phones that are certified. This means that the phone is in perfect working order and will last a long time for a new customer.

T-Mobile has two straight forward and easy-to-use plans that do not involve a contract. The customer can either pay for their services in advance or they can pay as they go. This makes the credit check nightmare of a contract plan obsolete.

There are some credit-based possibilities for covering the price of a new phone. If a
customer cannot afford one of the more expensive phones up front but can pass a credit check, they can pay for the phone in installments. If a customer, under this agreement, decides that they no longer want service through T-Mobile, they are responsible for the remaining balance on the phone.

T-Mobile for the past four years have been the best customer service provider within the cellular industry with JD Power and Associates. They are also recognized for their outstanding care in the customer care category.

thumbnail

T-Mobile is also known for their reasonable prices. Their service, while not a contract phone, offers similar data plans that are more affordable than similar plans with other contract providers. Customers are never charged overage fees because they simply cannot use their data after they have reached their monthly quota.

With most no-contract carriers, there is no unlimited data pricing paradigms in their data plans with the exception of T-Mobile. Also, the unlimited data plan from T-Mobile was significantly cheaper than the 100 GB plans offered through US Cellular and Verizon. Current customers have experienced instances though where T-Mobile has throttled back the speed, but it happens rarely.

T-Mobile also has extensive international service. In fact, they were one of the few wireless providers that included international data and texting at no additional cost, a far cry from many of the contract providers operating in the industry.

Customers can access their account easily, speak with an online customer care representative, or use their text messaging to monitor their monthly service as well.

The Bad

• Limited phone options
  • Phones are expensive
  • Equipment installment program

Even with the strong selling points, there are limitations to the T-Mobile service. For example, they do not offer a wide range of phones to their customer base. The phones available from T-Mobile only include a few of the most popular brands. Particularly lacking was the Windows phone. T-Mobile, at this time, only offers one Windows phone. There are no BlackBerry phones. While BlackBerry is no longer a popular phone operating system, some clients prefer it for business email, voice, and data.

Another absent service from T-Mobile is a pricing paradigm that reduced the overall price of the phone. T-Mobile phones are expensive. There are no incentives for T-Mobile customers to purchase a particular phone. It is also hard to add multiple phones to the family plans if you cannot pass a credit check. Other companies had more phones to choose from, especially more lower-end phones. It makes it expensive to get started with T-Mobile.

Something else to point out is the policy regarding the Equipment Installment Program. If a customer chooses to discontinue their service with T-Mobile, they are responsible for the remaining cost of the phone if it was purchased under and Equipment Installment Program. In some ways, this is a force tactic to keep customers on T-Mobile's service without forcing a contract.

Current customers have also expressed a pattern of certain complaints. Some had experiences where they purchased a phone, soon to be discontinued, and it became obsolete after a major manufacturer rolled out a new product. Others have expressed that there is a lack of other wireless services and accessories. With other contract and no-contract providers, customers were often able to find wireless modems for installation on a laptop or computer. With T-Mobile, customers can only use tablets with data capability that can be converted into a hot spot. These maxed out at 11 GB of data per month, and would not easily suit the needs of a customer who got online frequently using their tablet as a hot spot for a laptop computer or other device.

The Bottom Line

T-Mobile is a strong carrier for those hoping to avoid long-term contracts or hidden fees. T-Mobile is known for their lower prices, no overage fees, and other controls in place that keep the cost simple for the customer. Prospective customers can expect the following with T-Mobile:

• Straight forward plans
  • No long-term contracts
  • Limited device selection
  • Unlimited features
  • Installment programs

64 T-Mobile Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

September 14th, 2017 Stockton, CA

Beware, T mobile will change your number without your permission. It happened to me this morning when I received a msg from T mobile. I called customer service, they said I did change my number by using my own phone that I put on my desk no call out for at lease for two days. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of.

September 14th, 2017

Worst company ever to deal with, you pay what you see my butt. I have had them for year because originally they had an unlimited everything plan for $50 a month, the dumb kids they have working there aren't even aware what the company charged more than a few years ago it's sad. Anyway everytime I upgrade my phone they force me to change my plan and even though they promise it will be better it slowly gets worse. Not they have my on a plan that says it's$110 for the plan with 2 phones and $95 to pay off the phones which is $210 a month no other features or anything my bill grows every month and now its $350 a month for the same service as stated on my bills. They keep tacking on random fees and charges even though they advertise "what you see is what you pay no hidden fees" then when you try to talk to them they send you through a run around that takes days. Stupid customer service, lying backstabbing cheating company ran by a thief. The ks for ruining the only company that had any decency left.

September 9th, 2017 Davison, MI

Worst mobile wireless company I have ever had the displeasure of having. I can say this with total confidence because I have had them all. Thumb Cellular, Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, Metro PCS, and so on. I am less than a week into my new contract with them, bought the new Samsung Galaxy S8+, and I have had nothing but issues with connectivity since day one. Mind you I am also in a well populated city less than 3 miles away from the nearest T-Mobile cell tower, I don't live out in the boonies. My main problem with them is their customer service (or lack there of). Always getting the run around, reps constantly lie to me and never give me a straight forward answer. Filed a BBB claim hoping to get the issue resolve ASAP thinking someone from main corporate office would contact me. NO!! I was contacted by a basic low level customer service rep who lied and said they were a supervisor from corporate! I know this because the number on my caller ID was the same number listed on google and website as customer service number, which does not resemble the number I know of to be the corporate number. Also was a Saturday when this rep called me and the corporate offices are only open Monday- Friday. Another technical rep lied to me stating that the towers my phone are trying to connect to are undergoing maintenance and that they would be done by the 19th of September and should have no issues after that, even though this so called "supervisor" I spoke too said that all their towers and services are working as they should and are not undergoing maintenance. If I would have listened to the tech rep and waited it would have put me past my 14 day grace period to exit my contract without paying penalties or buying out of contract. He PURPOSELY tried screwing me over by getting stuck into my contract so that my only choice at that point would have been to pay a boat load of money to buy out my contract. PLEASE AVOID THIS COMPANY IF YOU ARE THINKING OF SWITCHING!!!!!! I would rather try to string together two Dixie cups to contact someone than use their lack of services. Would probably even get better results. On another note, the rep specifically at the Lapeer, MI location had no clue what he was doing. After leaving once my services were "active" I got home and found out that he never even included my data plan into my contract! He also got my social security wrong on file AND under my EIP (equipment plan) for the two phones I purchased should of shown two identical Samsung Galaxy S8+ phones. Instead showed a Galaxy and an LG G6, a phone I don't even have! After being in the store for nearly 3 hours I seen many people come and go to pay bills and what not, but this one older lady came in (clearly didnt know how to use her smartphone) and ask the gentleman working if he could fix her phone. After explaining what she thought was wrong with it, and looking over the phone for nearly 20 minutes, this guy had the audacity to tell her that her LCD screen was broken and would cost a pretty penny to get it fixed. Being pretty tech savvy myself I asked the lady to walk with me outside the store so that I could take a look if she didn't mind. She agreed and it took me all but 5 minutes to realize that she had accidentally switched her theme profile and activated the polarized image under her accessibility settings. ( Photos were negative polarity and all her icons were white when she said they used to be black) Needless to say I completely returned her phone back to normal the way that she liked it at no cost to her.

August 25th, 2017

Finding another phone company they charge for payment arrangements I've never in my life have never been charged for payment arrangement on my bill and with other companies. T Mobile charges are ridiculous. I am unsatisfied customer. When I sign up with them I thought they were reasonable but they're not. I am so unhappy with the service that has been provided for me

1 1

August 18th, 2017

I had been disconnected from service told lie after lie again again like today I was disconnected 2 time in same day, voicemail never worked

August 15th, 2017 Bayonne, NJ

The customer service people are friendly but completely useless. I was switching from Verizon to T-Mobile with 3 lines. One phone was purchased through T-Mobile and worked fine. The other two were never able to get 4G. They had me contacting Verizon saying that the phones were locked (not the case) and going through technical service over and over again. After five months I find out that Verizon phones just do not work on T-Mobile. If I wanted to stay on T-Mobile I would need to buy two new phones through them. No discount, no rebate for five months of service I paid for but never got...nothing. Needless to say I am no longer a customer.

1 1

August 14th, 2017 Weslaco, TX

I recently went to a TMobile store due to my Samsung Galaxy S8+ being defective. While they were processing things for a replacement they had an offer in which I was supposed to receive a free tablet. OK cool. The offer did save me money in the long run and I was going to get a free tablet to boot. Yay me! Or so I thought. When I received the email for an e-signature I saw I would be charged $144 for the "free" tablet. Whoa! Hold up here - contacted customer service. I was told I don't get the tablet for "free" but for only $6mo added to my bill it could be mine. Not cool TMobile! Misleading customers is not how to keep them. I'm now waiting for my replacement phone, will pay it off, and leaving you. I was anxiously awaiting the Note 8, which would have been purchased from you, already purchased the second line just for it - but no more. Take your trickery elsewhere. Signed: A very angry (soon to be former) customer.

August 3rd, 2017 Brooklyn, NY

I had approximately $25 in additional and unexpected charges added to my bill. I have an automatic draft from my bank, so I didn't notice it until I got a text that there was a past due amount. I called a few days later and was told I needed to pay the bill immediately or risk service interruption. I've had this account for 3 years and have NEVER been late. While I agree that the account is $25 past due, it's for 3 weeks. UNBELIEVABLE...

July 26th, 2017 Clearwater, FL

They do not respect peoples decision I ordered a phone and they cancelled it twice

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I have been using T Mobile for a couple of years now. Their cellular service is great and their cost is affordable. I'm not a fan of their customer service. When I go to the local store the employees there are not as helpful as they should be.

June 12th, 2017 Orem, UT

not the greatest coverage but good value for the money, only real problem for me was hard sell i really over spent and the insurance definitely did not pay off

May 31st, 2017

T-Mobile has been incredible , fast and friendly to resolve all my issues and resolutions were beyond expectations

May 31st, 2017

They have always been helpful to me since I joined them a couple years ago. I would share their business to anyone I meet when they need a reliable mobile phone carrier.

May 26th, 2017 Memphis, TN

Customer Service folks are second to none. Great people. 10/10. Service for me and my family has been great. 9/10. Website is ridiculous. Does not show a breakdown of credits/payments/charges that happen mid-cycle, you have to wait until next bill to see them. 1/10. Once that happens, you have to contact support and start all over again. 0/10. 2 months of bills so far and not one of them has been right - sure, they correct them with credits, but that's time I have to spend chatting/tweeting/etc to get it right. I should be able to bill them an hourly rate for my time to apply against my bill.

May 26th, 2017

I liked my service plan with T mobile, but I switched carriers because I could get a better phone and monthly payment plan with a different carrier. They changed their plans after I had allready switched. I had good coverage on T-mobile.

May 24th, 2017

Thank you for making me feel like we have always been family. John Legere the CEO of T-Mobile has inspired me more than he knows. At a very dark time in my life just recently John's videos and tweets helped bring me back to life you could say. I'm playing guitar more than ever now after stopping for many years due to some challenges during my military service and after I got out. John retweeted a guitar video I sent him live on Twitter using #tweetjohn that boosted my spirits and I've learned to strengthen my faith and this might sound weird but all I want to do is help anyone I can. There is good in everyone and sometimes when people are doing bad all it takes is one person to reach out, hey or how are you? Even smiling at someone could change someone's day or life. You never know. T-Mobile is dedicated not because they feel obligated but because they care in truly addressing your needs and concerns and doing everything it takes to not only fix the problem, but also makes sure you are satisfied with everything before finishing the Call! #TeamMagenta

May 24th, 2017 Casselton, ND

Always quick to respond, courteous, empathetic, and very knowledgeable! GREAT service!

May 8th, 2017

TOTAL LIARS!!!!! NOTHING PROMISED WAS DELIVERED!!!!!!

October 13th, 2016

Their website and customer service are terrible. I was trying to sign up for the $3/month minimum service, automatically renewed monthly. The website begins by blocking the page with a large window for feedback; but it's blocking the page that would allow you to do anything. Then I couldn't get the website to change from a $25/month plan to the $3/month plan, so I called customer service, which is an infuriating robot which doesn't answer any questions. Finally I got a human being, but she gave me what seemed to be inaccurate information, saying that there is no such thing as a simple $3/month rate; rather, it is $15 + per month, even though the website says $3/month plus what appears to be a one-time opening fee of $10. The human was really no more responsive than the robot. All this took over an hour of frustrating time. Finally I went back to the website, where at least the $3 option had been entered. I chose that, but wonder what I will actually be charged. All this makes me hate them - when a small amount of care in constructing their website and phone service could have made this easy and non-hatred-inducing.

August 4th, 2016 Provo, UT

T-Mobile is great! The price has been pretty good over the years. The coverage hasn't always been the greatest, but it has improved over the last few years. T-Mobile also has features that no other carrier offers such as free music, video, and Pokemon-Go data. The T-Mobile Tuesdays app is also a great way to get free stuff. So far, I've been able to get a free movie ticket, a free frosty, a free pizza, and a $20 gift card to the MLB store. All of this just for being a customer. I don't think I'll be switching providers any time soon. Thanks T-Mobile!