Sprint Logo

Sprint

LAST UPDATED: January 27th, 2022
report_problem

Sprint and T-Mobile have merged.

As of April 2020, Sprint has joined forced with T-Mobile to provide customers with one of the largest 5G networks in the country. As a result, information in this review may be outdated. To learn more about this merger, check out our T-Mobile Review, or read through our Sprint reviews from actual customers (below).

Sprint is a major provider of wireless phone and Internet products and services for individuals and businesses throughout the world and offers the latest smartphone and tablet device technology with 4G LTE data coverage in over 500 cities nationwide.

Founded in 1899 and headquartered in Overland Park, Kansas, Sprint now owns Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and the Assurance brands of non-contract providers.

AT&T Logo
#3 AT&T chevron_right
3.7

The Good

• Metro Area Network Coverage
  • Multi-Line Service Prices
  • Additional Perks
  • Device Options

Metro Area Network Coverage

Though Sprint's coverage depth and breadth are not as robust as that of the top companies, its coverage is improving in certain areas. Sprint now offers especially fast 4G LTE network coverage improvements in four major U.S. metro areas in preparation for 5G speeds:

• Atlanta, GA (over 50 percent faster than previous download speeds)
  • Denver, CO (over 50 percent faster than previous download speeds)
  • Las Vegas, NV (nearly twice as fast as previous download speeds)
  • Salt Lake City, UT (twice as fast as previous download speeds)

Multi-Line Service Prices

Sprint focuses heavily on serving families or groups of friends that want to go in on a phone account together. The group pricing provides an incentive to add more lines because of the discounts available.

For example, the Unlimited Basic service plan gets you your third, fourth, and fifth lines free, totaling $20/month per line, a price that is very difficult (if not impossible) to find elsewhere for what you get. The carrier claims using its unlimited plan actually gives customers a $1,000 savings over their first year over certain competitors.

Additional Perks

Sprint's three "Unlimited" plans, Unlimited Basic, Unlimited Plus, and Unlimited Premium, all include these benefits:

• Unlimited talk and text
  • Hulu account
  • Mobile hotspot (500 MB LTE, 50GB LTE, or 100GB LTE)
  • Video streaming (480p, 1080p, or full HD)
  • Canada and Mexico roaming and unlimited talk, text, and data (5GB, 10GB, or unlimited 4G LTE data)
  • Text and data in 200+ worldwide locations

Unlimited Plus includes a Tidal account as well, and Unlimited Premium comes with Tidal, Lookout, and Amazon Prime.

Customers age 55+ or customers who are active military or veterans qualify for specialized Unlimited plans. Data plans for tablets, mobile hotspots, and smartwatches can be purchased, too.

Device Options

New and popular Apple and Android phones and tablet options are available through Sprint. Financing rates are based on credit qualifications, but generally, you can utilize the Spring Flex 18-month lease on a new phone. Pre-owned phones are also available. If your current phone is compatible with the Sprint Network and it is unlocked, you can activate it with a new Sprint account. You do need a SIM card to activate your device.

A Sprint customer can also purchase any of the following tech accessories:

• Smartwatches
  • Tablets
  • Hotspots
  • Sprint Drive (enables vehicle diagnostics, driving behavior analytics, location tracking, roadside assistance, and media connectivity)
  • Ear pods and other wireless headphones
  • Chargers

The Bad

• Coverage Gaps
  • Early Termination Fees
  • Expensive Hotspots

Coverage Gaps

Depending on where in the U.S. you live, Sprint's network coverage can be outstanding or poor, so potential customers should closely study Sprint's coverage map prior to signing up to avoid slower download speeds and dropped calls.

Early Termination Fees

The early termination fee (the cost a consumer pays when they cancel their contract early) is something you should be aware of before signing up with Sprint. If you sign up for a 1 or 2-year contract and then decide to change carriers, you must pay a fee for each line of service you signed up with. The fee is prorated based on the length of your remaining term commitment, but depending on how many months you have remaining on your contract, you might end up paying a steep price.

Expensive Hotspots

Standalone hotspots and Wi-fi card plans are expensive with Sprint. The cheapest plan the carrier currently provides is $30/month for 10GB of data. There are also additional fees that can apply with the limited GB data.

The Bottom Line

Sprint has plenty to offer prospective customers, with the most attractive perk being the affordable multi-line smartphone plan pricing. Paying $20/month for smartphone services is almost unheard of.

Is Sprint good? Customer reviews are mixed, reflecting both positive and negative experiences with Sprint's customer service team, terms and conditions, and network coverage. Read the reviews below to decide for yourself.

View Best Cell Phone Providers

2.7

Warren Jarrett Kansas City, MO

I want to thank April M. with a recent billing issue I had, She listened and resolved the issue through chat. Sprint has always had great customer service That is why I have stayed with them from the time they started in Kansas City.

14 hours ago

Shanlee Sandusky, OH

Customer service right now is confusing at best. We have upgraded our phones and had to go to T-Mobile to do so, but since we have sprint numbers we cannot use T-Mobile customer service. It would be nice for their merger to finally be done.

JJ Jenkins Glendale, AZ

We switched to sprint because they offered great promotions to switch from our other cell phone company and we got free iPhones. They offer amazing family plans where you can have up to ten phones on one account with low monthly fees and unlimited texting.

Paula Pili Provo, UT

I felt like my part time job was reaching out due to one issue or another My bill was never the same Customer service agents barely even knew their own product. They tell you one thing, you trust it then get stabbed and told basically “ sorry.. this is how it is”

Anoushka Ahuja Orlando, FL

Spirit was one of the best providers and we were long term customer for a many years! The service became sketchy a few years ago so we dropped it

Randie S. Edmond, OK

They were a bit expensive, but I never lost service except for when I worked in the hospital. I deemed that to be because of the walls in the hospital so not Sprint's fault. I had them from 2018 to when they merged with T-mobile. The customer service was always great, replcaement/fixing devices was smooth and perfect, and they have multiple locations. The only issues that I really had was them not knowing the cost of an upgrade or new service before checking my credit, charging me $10/month for not enrolling in autopay, and having expensive service. However, I would still recommend them and loved their service!

Joseph A. Warkoczewski Mount Holly, NJ

Joe W real person, customer of sprint for 14 years (since 2007). My service is terrible. Their web site is complicated and geared toward getting new phone service or expanding your existing account. They have closed down some towers since T-Mobile aquired and now my service is limited; they said the network I am on will shut down January and I need a new phone . They ply you with "free" phone upgrades are not free and, in fact, expensive. You end up being locked in to their service for 24 months. If you cancel service early, the "free" phone is costing several hundred dollars. This company is expensive and dishonist. For my 14 years of consumer loyalty, I get no more than a new subscriber. This company has abused me. Do not use T-Mobil or Sprint, they are dishonest.

Michelle Valdez Carlsbad, CA

Literally the worst experience I have ever had. It started when our account trasferred over to T Mobile and then they only had my deceased mom on the account after she passed 10 years ago so I had to jump through many hours of phone calls with Sprint and hours at Sprint locations to change liability. Then upgraded to a new Iphone online but after I activate the phone with the new t mobile SIM card, it wont take a charge. I spent 3 hours on the phone with Sprint to get a new one, then they tell me I have to pay for the phone again and wait for a refund when I send the old phone. Horrible customer service.

Set the Record Straight 'Ewa Beach, HI

As a Sprint customer for over 8 years, I implore you not to go through Sprint to upgrade or add services to your existing Sprint account. Go through T-Mobile directly or change carrier completely. Sprint’s sales agents uses a bait and switch tactic promising lower costs but when you receive your monthly bill the amount quoted is much higher. When you escalate the bait and switch tactic to a customer service supervisor, they are aware of this practice and attempt to placate you by offering you a credit settlement that is minuscule relative to the bait and switch. In addition, you can spend anywhere from 30 - 90 minutes on the telephone pleading your situation. Sprint customers, don’t fall for the “you’re a legacy customer and we appreciate your years of service with Sprint.” That the bait before you experience the switch. BUYER BEWARE!

Malia Barnes Cheyenne, WY

I have had Sprint for about 9 years now. I have felt like our service works really well where we live. We haven’t had any problems with our service not working properly. If I need to contact customer service I like to chat with them online. I don’t like to call because it takes a long time to get through to customer service. One of our phones stopped working so we went to a store by our house. That store couldn’t help us because they just sell phones at that location. We had to go to a different location about 30 minutes away. They were very nice and happy to help us fix our phone. They couldn’t fix the phone right away so they gave us a loaner phone for a couple weeks until ours was fixed. We will stay with Sprint as long as our monthly bill stays the same.

Jen Paxman Lehi, UT

We have been with Sprint for many years. They provide the best options for our family. We are able to do a family plan and to customize that plan to fit our needs. We really like their coverage. I feel like a lot of times when people around me don't have coverage, I do. We are able to pay our bill every month with auto pay and it is simple and easy. Their customer service is always great and easy to work with. I really like the option to chat with someone so that I don't have to stay on hold forever. My only complaint is that they don't often offer discounts on new phones for existing customers.

Bruce Ellison Lansing, MI

We are a long term Sprint customer and we have always loved the service. I have always heard people gripe about coverage in the country but I am for the most part an urban dweller and have always recieved excellent service. I recieve full bars in my home of LTE services in fact. Sprint has always offered the latest and greatest in phones and I recently upgraded to a platinum/gold Samsung S6 Edge 64gb which is easily the prettiest phone I've ever owned. I also noticed that Sprint tends to be cheaper than both ATT and Verizon and Tmobile doesn't even compete from a tech standpoint. All and all I am and continue to be happy with the service I get from Sprint.

Cindy Tampa, FL

We have had so much trouble with Sprint. They are absolutely awful. Lost trade ins that they never apply to your account and just like that, you are out $400. No recourse. Just the run around. On 5 separate occasions, I was told that the call center couldn't help me and to go to the store. The store couldn't help me because it wasn't a corp location so off to another store. That store can't help you, you have to call into Sprint customer service. Never ending circles of being jerked around. The worst. Believe the reviews you see here and run far away.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

I had Sprint for a while on a prepaid device. Service was not terrible but also not great, and was very inexpensive. The customer service was good anytime I needed help.

Kristy Flores San Antonio, TX

I have had the most horrible customer service experience I've ever had with Sprint/T-Mobile! I have been with Sprint since 2016 and since the merge I've had nothing but problems with my service, with my messages, but the worst of them all was the experience I just had over the course of the last few weeks. I ordered a phone through the website. The website showed the phone in stock. The money was taken out of my account the same day I placed the order and the next day I received an email that my phone was on back order. When I called they told me there was nothing they could do about it I just had to wait. I asked if I could have store credit they said no, I asked if I could change for another device they said no. My only option was to cancel my order. They told me if I didn't hear anything in a few days to call back and cancel my order. So I waited a few days. Before calling I checked the site to see my order status. It showed "pending" so I figured I'd just cancel it myself. When I clicked cancel order I got an error message saying "Your order has been shipped or canceled" I went back to order status to see if it had been canceled and it was still showing pending. So I called. The person I talked to told me that they couldn't cancel it either and they didn't know why, and that I had to wait. So I waited another week. Still nothing. No updates, no emails that it was shipped, order still showed pending. I called again. This time I was told that I had to wait because it wasn't showing back order anymore but now it had to wait for the carrier to say shipped. Yet when you check the order status there is a box that says ready to ship, but it was still showing pending. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, he denied my request. Later that night I received an email that my order was canceled due to item being out of stock and the money that I had withdrawn from my account for the new phone was put towards my next bill instead of refunded to me. When I called they gave me the complete run around. Everything she was telling me did not make any sense. I have had hiccups with Sprint in the past, and they have always been quick to fix the problem. I have NEVER been told "You have to wait" so many times with no updates what so ever.

D Lenexa, KS

Worst possible customer service. In order to use the 5g network, they told me I needed to use T-Mobile's SIM card. I called and installed per their directions for installation. It did not work. After 3 calls and 2 1/2 hours on the phone, my phone is rendered dead. When I finally asked to speak someone knowledgeable, i.e., a manager, the lady came back 15 minutes later, would not let me speak to a manager, and transferred me to technical support. After 15 minutes on hold for technical support, i received notice that their hours end at 9: 00 PM central time. I've been with Sprint for 20 years. That will now end. Tonight I have no phone service. I will need to take off work, go into to a store, and hopefully after a few hours wasted time, I will have phone service restored. I'll now have to decide between Verizon and AT and T. Shameful.

J. Garrett Lansing, MI

I had been a Sprint customer since 2001. In 2016 I had a stroke and could not pay my bills. While I was in the hospital friends and family paid over $300 on my phone bill. By the time I left the hospital I owed Sprint less than $30 and my phone was no longer under contract with them. It had been paid off for about six months and I chose to stay with Sprint. However, Sprint terminated my service for that less than $30 that I owed them! I called customer service and no one was willing to work with me although I had been a customer for years! I honestly think it's because I didn't want to buy a new phone and start a new contract with them at the time. But, as I said, I had just had a stoke and I had no income. I think it's awful that they would treat a loyal customer that way!

Charnise Johnson Chicago, IL

I have been a loyal customer to sprint for about 7 years now, and I will say I use to love sprint because the company has always been above and beyond to to satisfy my needs up until recently when I called to get some information on upgrading my phone & to report my airpods stolen, the customer service with 4 Different representatives were disappointing. They acted like they were going to replace my AirPods and had me make a claim and be on the phone for over an hour for them to tell me that I never made a claim. They also tried to charge me way more than the phone was totaled up to be on the sprint App. I’m not an entitled loyal customer but I did expect sprint to treat me with some respect and not tell me anything to get me off the phone.

Wayne J.Bergeron Covington, LA

My family has been with Sprint for several years and the service has been excellent. When we do have a problem my local store has corrected it promptly and accurately. I have been on the lease plan several times but I’m now on the 24 month purchase plan, which works out better if you intend to keep your present phone for a longer time.

Melissa sims Greer, SC

It was absolutely amazing I really appreciate the individual named Taylor that I spoke with. They were kind and patient. They explained everything and answered all my questions in detail to make sure I made the right decision with my purchase. They need a raise!they even stayed on the chat for as long as I needed (which was a while) instead of trying to rush me and or switching me to a different representative.

Evelyn Codrington New York, NY

Their network is week in isolated areas, they will send you equipment free of charge to help strengthen the signal. They at least try. Other company's such as Verizon what you to pay for their equipment to restrenthen their poor signal areas. Sprint does not get credit for that. They give about Airave's and other new pieces of equipment to help their customers.

KSCOMOGA

The technical part of the company is fantastic however, the sales side doesn't know how to tell the truth or be honest in any way. They will say some thing that is not true at all but it takes me awhile to find out. I put up with them since all my family and extended family's phones work so well. I have been with Sprint since 1998. The reason I choose Sprint was their old name United Telecommunications was my next-door neighbor. If the phone service wasn't flawless, I would not stay with them.

Mike T Linden, MI

I've been a Sprint customer for several years. I have used other cell companies through work accounts. I have to say Sprint does a good job, I have a couple ups and downs with them, but I can say as somone who has with them for 16 years now their coverage is much better, the value has always been very good, and the customer services has been high quality.

Mandeep Singh

I’m through all the major cell phone providers now and Sprint wins the first place. I travel a lot for work and have switched in between several providers. The Sprint had good signal almost everywhere I went. Their customer service was great. I wanted to write this review after I felt how good Sprint was compare to Verizon that I have now. I'm planning to switch back to Sprint soon.

Keri Havran Aurora, CO

I want to compliment on Shawne, the customer service representative. She went above and beyond to help me figure out a problem I was having with my phone. On May 5, 2018 I took it in to a Sprint store to get it activated but it kept showing a block call error and nobody in the stores knew what was wrong with it. Once I explained the problem Shawne knew exactly what the problem was and how to fix it. My phone is an older slider phone and she spent an hour looking for the codes to reset it. She went above and beyond and was so nice during the whole issue. Thank you so much!

Kari Staheli

I switched to Sprint summer of 2014 because of their Framily plan. When you are paying for 5 cell phones you go to where you can afford it. I have liked sprint because it is affordable and I am not locked into a plan. The customer service is pretty good however the wait time at a store is very long. Plan on having a couple of hours to get any issues resolved if you have techinical issues or need to buy a phone. The cell coverage isn't as good from sprint as I have had from other companies but it is good enough, and I have traveled through Europe and the US. I stay at sprint because they are affordable for my family and give me the service I need.

David Picard Fairfax, VA

I have service on the Sprint network through Credo mobile. They are based on the West Coast (US) and I'm outside of Washington DC, but I've been very impressed with their service. I've gotten 4 new devices sent in the three years my family has been doing business with them and each one was seamless. They also support causes I care about (read Non-Tea Party Conservative causes which are the darlings of AT&T and Verizon). Couldn't be happier!

Lanita Strickland Nashville, TN

I didn't have any problems with Sprint until they merged with T-Mobile. Customer Service was always helpful. We received notice that our phones were outdated and would not be useable after Jan 2022. They offer a free phone, but want you to pay for activation fees. I don't consider me paying activation fees makes it free. I'm checking out other companies!

Douglas Castonguay Alexandria, VA

Sprint has the absolute worst customer service. They continued to charge me for lines not connected to any device after I asked to cancel my account. They did not contact me regarding the final bill and it did not arrive before I moved, though I left a forwarding address. Instead, they sent me straight to collections and refused to admit their mistake when called upon. If you are considering Sprint, think again

Pauline Abernathy Tucker, GA

Customer here for almost 20 years! I travel and I have never had shotty service or problems with my hotspot, cell phones, or tablets.

MM Largo, FL

They tricked us when we bought our phones and plan at the Sprint store on Clearwater, Florida. They were actually "leased". We bought 4 lines on four phones. 2 of which the phones were free and of lesser quality than the Samsung galaxies we purchased. However, the two other phones did not get a signal where we lived and couldn't be used. We tried to discontinue the 2 lines for those phones and return the phones within a week of purchase but sprint would not cancel the 2 lines or accept the 2 phones back. We were charged for these two phone lines that were not used and had no calls or texts or even been turned on for an entire year and were responsible for paying for them all that time. They also nickel and dime for every little thing and their coverage and customer service left a lot to be desired.

Craig Franklin Minneapolis, MN

Ive had Sprint 17 years. Last month said payment overdue even tho bank statement showed payment. Only way fixed is THEY required me go to bank get copy of payment. Did then they called to say now fixed. Not even a sorry or thank you! DISSAPOINTED!!!

C. Floberg Tonganoxie, KS

Phones are well made & work great. Phone service is fantastic, no dropped calls, sound for music or videos is awesome. My only issue is the billing department doesn’t notify you of your contract runs out, so you are still “leasing” when you could be “buying”.

Nancy Colletto Stamford, CT

Sprints agents all have different answers for you. I recently upgrade via working with an agent online. She told me she would waive my last lease payment, since I pay on the lease for 36 months (they reall made their money on me!). I also refused protection on both new phones. We settled on a new plan which was a great price. My new bill should have been $123. And ended up $153. They charged me for the lease on the old phone and protection on one phone. The plan I agreed on at one point was changed to a more expensive plan and I had to call and correct that. It was a month of hell. Navigating through the BS. Got the protection off (next months Bill), got the right plan back but they did nothing about the old lease cost. BTW the new phone lease began the day I ordered the phone!

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Im not a huge fan of Sprint. I got an iPad through them and connected it to my phone plan and then cancelled it a few months later but they kept on charging me and then wouldn't give me my money back when I told them about it. Also, when I initially got my phone, I was going in pretty determined to get a certain one and the employee talked me out of it which I didn't appreciate either. I will say they have good coverage.

Juli Maloney Henderson, NV

We switched to Sprint because of a friend but we are so glad they have merged with TMobile. We had been loyal happy customers of TMobile for years but switched due to a "deal". Coverage with Sprint was spotty at best. The only thing Sprint had down was good customer service. Now, since the merger, we have good customer service with the connectivity of TMobile.

Martha Woodward Charlotte, NC

I've been a customer for about 20 years. They have had reps that have not been truthful but if you are in the right their managers will typically work with you and make the situation right. You may have to fight a little to get a fair resolution but in the end they have done what's right and fair with me.

L Black Auburn, WA

On my in person visit, staff wore mask, gloves, and had hand sanitizer and observed social distancing rules. Floors were clearly marked to 6 ft for customers. Austin T was very patient and understanding of my not being technology proficient. Great job!

Lethia Johnson Tallahassee, FL

I have had a sprint operated device since I was 10 years old, I am 21 years old right now, and have loved it every since then. We have unlimited data, and not worrying about going over takes so much pressure off, and I can focus on just using my phone!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Sprint has been a great option for our family and its cellular needs. They offered us consistent cell coverage, clear communications, and great phone options. They always helped us keep our billing low and fair. They even helped us keep our same phone numbers from different carriers. Their customer service department is extremely helpful.

Janneth San Diego, CA

I been with sprint for 5 years or more. I haven't encounter any issues with the company. I have three lines and I pay s decent amount. The only reason I'm giving four stars because I haven't found a good deal to upgrade my phones. I want to pay same or close to what I'm paying right now with new phones. When upgrading phones I recommend yo get it from Best Buy not from sprint store.

Angie Burnett Orem, UT

I have been using Sprint for over 12 years. I have no had any issues. There are some areas near me where cell reception is poor, but that is for everyone regardless of cell phone carrier. Calls never drop, and prices are very reasonable.

Caroline Germantown, MD

I have been a customer for many years and although this may not be the cheapest plan for all, I find or to be very reliable. Everyone is quite professional and I have the utmost respect for this provider. In this ever changing technology driven world keeping up levels of excellence is very challenging. Thank you for keeping up your standards.

Laura Vera Phoenix, AZ

I had questions regarding my service and when I can receive upgrade and I had a very nice and helpful chat with "Irene K". I would just like sprint to know that she/he was very pleasant and very nice even though it was through chat. I would like for sprint to know that she/he is providing wonderful customer service and appraised me for my years with sprint. I also want sprint to know that their is good in the company not just bad comments.

Matthew Blaze Wiltz Santa Maria, CA

My service is beyond comparison excellent, but customer service is horrible as with most companies,because nobody speaks ENGLISH... A 3 minute conversation takes 15 minutes, due to lack of understanding and repeating sentences over, and over.

Kathleen Kanady Taylor, MI

I brought my own phone. I was told by someone in the Care Dept. I am eligible to upgrade my phone . I called to do just that and I was told I am not eligible to get the iPhone XR after trading in my 6s. I was only following up on an advertisement on tv. I am very very disappointed in Sprint. This is not the first time I have been lied to. I can’t even go on the Internet while talking. Sprint hasn’t gotten around to making sure all phones are able to do so. I have to wait until sometime next year for this to happen. SPRINT———Stop outsourcing your departments to the Philippines where you can not understand them because they talk so fast. Due to them, my account is in 2 names and I cannot access it. Every time I spoke to someone in the Philippines I spelled my name so they would enter it correctly. NO SUCH LUCK ‼️‼️‼️‼️ I’ve only been with you since August 2nd and I am so upset and disgusted.

Tommy Mandeville, LA

Service in my area is fine. The only problem I have with sprit is billing. The billing department is a joke!!! The bill is wrong every month. Yes they do fix it but I got tired of calling every month so I canceled the service. Moved on to another cell provider whose bills are correct every month. If it wasn’t for their joke of a billing department I would still be there.

Aaron Paxman Lehi, UT

I have been a sprint customer for the last 15+ years. Their service is not overpriced and they do an excellent job with repairing your phone if it becomes damaged. The sales rep was very courteous on helping me get my phone repaired as quickly as possible.

Johnny Ray

I started using a cell phone in the mid-1990's with a company (Cellular1 ?) that became Sprint. I have never felt the need to switch. I have never had a problem with service or billing and when I've broken a phone it was easy and quick to replace. That said, I didn't like it when they switched from free phones with contract to leasing phones but that was industry wide. I now purchase my phone on Ebay and activate it on Sprint. I'm currently using a great HTC phone that I bought for under $100.

cynthia R Brixius Vail, AZ

We needed to get a new phone the old one was terrible dropping calls sound out out music not playing alarm not working. Ect. 2 other phones needed to be upgraded and all ongoing transferred bought accessories only because the service mgr was so good. Usually we go online to anaxon