Sprint Logo

Sprint

6.2

report_problem

Sprint and T-Mobile have merged.

As of April 2020, Sprint has joined forced with T-Mobile to provide customers with one of the largest 5G networks in the country. As a result, information in this review may be outdated. To learn more about this merger, check out our T-Mobile Review, or read through our Sprint reviews from actual customers (below).

Sprint is a major provider of wireless phone and Internet products and services for individuals and businesses throughout the world and offers the latest smartphone and tablet device technology with 4G LTE data coverage in over 500 cities nationwide.

Founded in 1899 and headquartered in Overland Park, Kansas, Sprint now owns Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and the Assurance brands of non-contract providers.

T-Mobile Logo
#2 T-Mobile chevron_right
3.7
AT&T Logo
#3 AT&T chevron_right
3.8

The Good

• Metro Area Network Coverage
  • Multi-Line Service Prices
  • Additional Perks
  • Device Options

Metro Area Network Coverage

Though Sprint's coverage depth and breadth are not as robust as that of the top companies, its coverage is improving in certain areas. Sprint now offers especially fast 4G LTE network coverage improvements in four major U.S. metro areas in preparation for 5G speeds:

• Atlanta, GA (over 50 percent faster than previous download speeds)
  • Denver, CO (over 50 percent faster than previous download speeds)
  • Las Vegas, NV (nearly twice as fast as previous download speeds)
  • Salt Lake City, UT (twice as fast as previous download speeds)

Multi-Line Service Prices

Sprint focuses heavily on serving families or groups of friends that want to go in on a phone account together. The group pricing provides an incentive to add more lines because of the discounts available.

For example, the Unlimited Basic service plan gets you your third, fourth, and fifth lines free, totaling $20/month per line, a price that is very difficult (if not impossible) to find elsewhere for what you get. The carrier claims using its unlimited plan actually gives customers a $1,000 savings over their first year over certain competitors.

Additional Perks

Sprint's three "Unlimited" plans, Unlimited Basic, Unlimited Plus, and Unlimited Premium, all include these benefits:

• Unlimited talk and text
  • Hulu account
  • Mobile hotspot (500 MB LTE, 50GB LTE, or 100GB LTE)
  • Video streaming (480p, 1080p, or full HD)
  • Canada and Mexico roaming and unlimited talk, text, and data (5GB, 10GB, or unlimited 4G LTE data)
  • Text and data in 200+ worldwide locations

Unlimited Plus includes a Tidal account as well, and Unlimited Premium comes with Tidal, Lookout, and Amazon Prime.

Customers age 55+ or customers who are active military or veterans qualify for specialized Unlimited plans. Data plans for tablets, mobile hotspots, and smartwatches can be purchased, too.

Device Options

New and popular Apple and Android phones and tablet options are available through Sprint. Financing rates are based on credit qualifications, but generally, you can utilize the Spring Flex 18-month lease on a new phone. Pre-owned phones are also available. If your current phone is compatible with the Sprint Network and it is unlocked, you can activate it with a new Sprint account. You do need a SIM card to activate your device.

A Sprint customer can also purchase any of the following tech accessories:

• Smartwatches
  • Tablets
  • Hotspots
  • Sprint Drive (enables vehicle diagnostics, driving behavior analytics, location tracking, roadside assistance, and media connectivity)
  • Ear pods and other wireless headphones
  • Chargers

The Bad

• Coverage Gaps
  • Early Termination Fees
  • Expensive Hotspots

Coverage Gaps

Depending on where in the U.S. you live, Sprint's network coverage can be outstanding or poor, so potential customers should closely study Sprint's coverage map prior to signing up to avoid slower download speeds and dropped calls.

Early Termination Fees

The early termination fee (the cost a consumer pays when they cancel their contract early) is something you should be aware of before signing up with Sprint. If you sign up for a 1 or 2-year contract and then decide to change carriers, you must pay a fee for each line of service you signed up with. The fee is prorated based on the length of your remaining term commitment, but depending on how many months you have remaining on your contract, you might end up paying a steep price.

Expensive Hotspots

Standalone hotspots and Wi-fi card plans are expensive with Sprint. The cheapest plan the carrier currently provides is $30/month for 10GB of data. There are also additional fees that can apply with the limited GB data.

The Bottom Line

Sprint has plenty to offer prospective customers, with the most attractive perk being the affordable multi-line smartphone plan pricing. Paying $20/month for smartphone services is almost unheard of.

Is Sprint good? Customer reviews are mixed, reflecting both positive and negative experiences with Sprint's customer service team, terms and conditions, and network coverage. Read the reviews below to decide for yourself.

View Best Cell Phone Providers

2.7

Craig Franklin Minneapolis, MN

Ive had Sprint 17 years. Last month said payment overdue even tho bank statement showed payment. Only way fixed is THEY required me go to bank get copy of payment. Did then they called to say now fixed. Not even a sorry or thank you! DISSAPOINTED!!!

Angie Appleton, WI

Horrible service and very spotty coverage. Pages take forever to load. Cost is high because of all the added things they add to your bill. I do not recommend Sprint. Every time we tried to get help from them we came up empty.

C. Floberg Tonganoxie, KS

Phones are well made & work great. Phone service is fantastic, no dropped calls, sound for music or videos is awesome. My only issue is the billing department doesn’t notify you of your contract runs out, so you are still “leasing” when you could be “buying”.

Nancy Colletto Stamford, CT

Sprints agents all have different answers for you. I recently upgrade via working with an agent online. She told me she would waive my last lease payment, since I pay on the lease for 36 months (they reall made their money on me!). I also refused protection on both new phones. We settled on a new plan which was a great price. My new bill should have been $123. And ended up $153. They charged me for the lease on the old phone and protection on one phone. The plan I agreed on at one point was changed to a more expensive plan and I had to call and correct that. It was a month of hell. Navigating through the BS. Got the protection off (next months Bill), got the right plan back but they did nothing about the old lease cost. BTW the new phone lease began the day I ordered the phone!

Emmanuel Gorres Catonsville, MD

I have been with spring for over 10 years if not longer - This company has always been there for me in resolving issues with phone services and problems. I haven't ever had any kind of complaint to them and always have treated customers with the utmost respect and professionalism

Gina Marie Commack, NY

Sprint was my very first company that I went with for wireless services. I actually miss them dearly as They were always so attentive, willing to help and always always made sure you got the answers you needed prior to ending conversation

Terry Badolato Glen Head, NY

Love my local sprint store! They are really kind, knowledgeable and always willing to help even when I come in with crazy questions about my phone.

Alana Funk Shockley Fulton, MO

I get great coverage with Sprint. I do get very frustrated that they reserve the best deals for new customers. The only way to get their two for one on iphones is to add a line. It is very discouraging and does not make me want to stay with them.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Im not a huge fan of Sprint. I got an iPad through them and connected it to my phone plan and then cancelled it a few months later but they kept on charging me and then wouldn't give me my money back when I told them about it. Also, when I initially got my phone, I was going in pretty determined to get a certain one and the employee talked me out of it which I didn't appreciate either. I will say they have good coverage.

Melissa sims Greer, SC

It was absolutely amazing I really appreciate the individual named Taylor that I spoke with. They were kind and patient. They explained everything and answered all my questions in detail to make sure I made the right decision with my purchase. They need a raise!they even stayed on the chat for as long as I needed (which was a while) instead of trying to rush me and or switching me to a different representative.

far Columbus, OH

I would give them zero start if I could. They are very bad and very poor customer service. they just add to your bill and when you talked to the over the phone they promised that the problem is solved but your bill stays high .....just wasting time over and over. they charge you more, if you do not realize that, Good for them!

R. Florez North Highlands, CA

We are current Sprint customers, for the last 6 years. I don't like the way our plan is structured but there just isn't anything better yet. Our coverage is average.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Sprint is a horrible cell phone provider!!!! My family lives an hour away in a small town and we have never been able to get service there. They have horrible coverage!!!!! The last time I went in to their store, the employees ignored me, so I just left. Then I remembered the poor coverage that they provide, so it was for the best!!!!

Rebecca Mays ,

I was pleased with my decision to switch from Sprint to another company. The service for Sprint is mediocre and the customer support is terrible. Probably should've switched sooner.

Mason Allen Pleasant Grove, UT

I have really enjoyed using Sprint over the years. I love the unlimited plan I have and the fast loading. The service is extremely spotty in some states so if I ever moved I would need to get another phone plan.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

We are on Sprint right now and it has been a good service. Our family has grown and we are all going off on our own plans now so unfortunately we will have to switch since small groups are a lot more expensive on Sprint.

quan Atlanta, GA

my experience with Sprint and their customer service was absolutely horrible I had an issue with them charging things on my account without my knowledge the lack of communication was horrible during the duration of me trying to get my issue resolved and dealing with sprint customer service was absolutely The most horrible experience I’ve ever had to deal with in customer service in my 30+ something years I’ve been alive I was lied to on several occasions I was hung up on on several occasions by sprint resolution supervisors I had to speak with over 10 representatives and it took over 24 hours to have my issue resolved and the only reason my issue got resolved is because I went into a T-Mobile store and spoke with a manager on duty and he was absolutely wonderful he got my issue resolved as well as treating me with the respect I deserved he was very genuine and it is unfortunate that T-Mobile employee have to deal with the disaster that sprints put their customers through but I am truly glad that T-Mobile has bought them out and eventually there will be no such thing as sprint I would never ever recommend sprint to anyone if I would have known that sprint customer service was this horrible I would not have given them over two years of my customer loyalty nor would I Have let them get their hands on my heart or money so if there is anyone that is dealing with Sprint And they’re horrible customer service my phone I would Recommend that they go to a T-Mobile store to get the help that they are seeking from sprints customer service team

rene howard Salem, WI

I have been a Sprint Customer for over 12 years. I ran past my original contract and since I live in one of a number of states that allow a certain Lease Laws, Wisconsin being one of them, they automatically turn your original contract into a Lease Contract which allows them to demand the phone back even if you do the buy out price, which in my case was 135.00. So I either stay with them and their unfair business practices or give the phone back that I have paid for and start fresh with another carrier with no phone to trade in and pay a higher price. STAY AWAY FROM SPRINT/T MOBILE at all costs.

Greg Clayton ,

I was a Sprint user for almost a decade. I always had great customer service and rarely had connection issues. However, where I currently live Sprint is no long in the area so we had to switch providers.

Sophie Glendale, CA

I’ve been a sprint customer for over 12 years, so far I am pleased with their service and promotions and they always work with you to make sure you’re not paying for something you don’t need! It’s a great company

jedimvma Tysons Corner, VA

i'll start with my dislikes, because there's only one: the service can be spotty. however, the positives outweigh the one negative: 1. the rates are good. 2. i've never gotten unexpected charges in my three years with them, which was a regular occurrence with my last provider, especially when i upgraded my phone. 3. iphone forever is amazing. and 4. having hulu for free is a super perk

Karen Johnson Atlanta, GA

I have been a Sprint customer for 20 years and I should have left a long time ago. The customer service is horrible. I feel like I have been in a long term abusive relationship.

Malia Barnes Cheyenne, WY

I have had Sprint for about 9 years now. I have felt like our service works really well where we live. We haven’t had any problems with our service not working properly. If I need to contact customer service I like to chat with them online. I don’t like to call because it takes a long time to get through to customer service. One of our phones stopped working so we went to a store by our house. That store couldn’t help us because they just sell phones at that location. We had to go to a different location about 30 minutes away. They were very nice and happy to help us fix our phone. They couldn’t fix the phone right away so they gave us a loaner phone for a couple weeks until ours was fixed. We will stay with Sprint as long as our monthly bill stays the same.

Jen Paxman Lehi, UT

We have been with Sprint for many years. They provide the best options for our family. We are able to do a family plan and to customize that plan to fit our needs. We really like their coverage. I feel like a lot of times when people around me don't have coverage, I do. We are able to pay our bill every month with auto pay and it is simple and easy. Their customer service is always great and easy to work with. I really like the option to chat with someone so that I don't have to stay on hold forever. My only complaint is that they don't often offer discounts on new phones for existing customers.

Bruce Ellison Lansing, MI

We are a long term Sprint customer and we have always loved the service. I have always heard people gripe about coverage in the country but I am for the most part an urban dweller and have always recieved excellent service. I recieve full bars in my home of LTE services in fact. Sprint has always offered the latest and greatest in phones and I recently upgraded to a platinum/gold Samsung S6 Edge 64gb which is easily the prettiest phone I've ever owned. I also noticed that Sprint tends to be cheaper than both ATT and Verizon and Tmobile doesn't even compete from a tech standpoint. All and all I am and continue to be happy with the service I get from Sprint.

Macy ,

Despite the mainstream opinion on this provider, i actually prefer using Sprint. It works well for me and never lags.

Kaitlin Magovern Holyoke, MA

Sprint is the worst company I’ve ever had to deal with. My bill went to collections. So I worked out a deal, paid that amount in full. And now they’re still playing games saying I still owe another X amount when I don’t owe a single penny!! And due to this issue I’m not able to unlock my phone. Been dealing with this major issues since July of 2020.

Bryce Johnson Colorado Springs, CO

When upgrading my phone to a new Galaxy, I was told my SIM, which was not shipped with the phone, would come via priority shipping. The SIM shipped two days prior to the phone's arrival with first class shipping, and took an amazing 5 days to arrive. I was depending on this new phone, as my previous one was broken. I had to wait a whopping 7 days to have a phone again, which made me miss out on 2 business meeting and a plethora of other work related events.

daniel shen Garden Grove, CA

This company doesn't really exist anymore, but when it did I had somewhat decent coverage wherever I went. Wi-Fi calling was never available for me despite the fact that Sprint provided it and it was available on my phone

Brittany Sanders Fort Walton Beach, FL

If I could give no stars I would. I paid a deposit and first month bill. The internet device didn't work and I never got to use the internet. Customer service couldn't help so I was told to send device back and they would refund my money. I was told for weeks my check was on the way. I then had one lady tell me that she was tracking my check to see where it was and how close it was to getting to me but then we got disconnected because I'm sure they hung up on me. I called today and was told that they couldn't find my device and it was past a certain deadline so they would not be refunding my money. I had talked to over 20 people and would lied to and just told what I wanted to hear but in the end they still want me to pay a bill and they also kept the money they were supposed to refund to me. Don't use Sprint

Xerxes Vendesmal Merrimack, NH

Half a year of a fake promotion. I took on my fathers sprint account when he had passed away in may of 2020 and in the following month when i took ownership they had a promotion of buying a free line for a 1 time payment of 35 or 50 dollars i dont remember exactly which and i of course grabbed it because if someone needed help they could use the free line. IT WASNT A 1 TIME PAYMENT. I have now called almost every month since because instead of paying for my 1 unlimited line of 64 dollars plus my phone lease i was now paying 105 dollars a month because that "free line" i was being charged for every month. Today i call to pay my past 2 bills because apparently my auto pay doesnt work and i cant create a sprint account online and they tell me i must pay 300 dollars and will still owe another almost 200. Do not go with this company. Ever since myfathers death ive done nothing but pay more in money and time to resolve something that should mever had been a problem. Again dont ever go with sprint or t mobile since they merged now. And the only reason i cant upload the money thing on here is because it changed monthly.

Ross Maple Grove, MN

I have been a customer of Sprint for 18 years. All and all they are great yes they have had a few issues for example when they were building out there towers however they made it right for there customers.

Treva Green Little Rock, AR

I’m enjoying Sprint again! The customer service was a too reason for. Me leaving initially, but It’s gotten so much better. The service is great and I’m loving TMobile Tuesdays now, since they merged.

Tyler B Palos Verdes Estates, CA

Sprint recently merged with TMobile. We are waiting on the "improved coverage" and 5G network speeds. I am a long time customer of Sprint (15+ years) and I hope that they will continue to invest in their network to deliver better service for lower costs.

Carlos garibay Downey, CA

I’ve been a customer with sprint more than six years and don’t understand the logic they have .im trying to upgrade on my iPhone and they don’t have no deals for existing customers like my self .but if your a new customer they have buy one phone get one free or trade in your phone .what I done to get a better deal I switch to Verizon .

Marissa Kuklovsky Melbourne, FL

I have been a customer before Sprint merged with T-mobile. From getting my own plan (without being under my parents) with confidence to still being a customer.. I have been treated with respect and courtesy in store and even online.

Dodd ,

We have been Sprint costumers for almost 2 yrs. Their service is great! I’ve never had a problem with dropping calls anywhere in the Country that I go and they are the most inexpensive company. I recommend them to everyone!

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

My family plan currently use Sprint and I believe it is the economical choice of providers. I find the cellular data and connection is somewhat spottier than other providers in the area, but it is cheaper to make up for it. You get what you pay for, and for me waiting a couple extra seconds for something to send or load in some areas is worth it.

L Black Auburn, WA

On my in person visit, staff wore mask, gloves, and had hand sanitizer and observed social distancing rules. Floors were clearly marked to 6 ft for customers. Austin T was very patient and understanding of my not being technology proficient. Great job!

Roxie Chapa Baton Rouge, LA

I had Sprint with my ex-husband from 1998-2008, then with my daughter from 2009-2020. I never had issues, but my daughter did. Her coverage was horrible. No matter which phone we got her, she struggled with coverage, but I never did. It gets pretty expensive, but other than my daughter's problem, I never had any problems. HIGHLY recommend Sprint!!!

Kelly Hicks Peoria, AZ

We have been loyal Sprint customers for many many years. When they merged, we thought things would improve, but we have really not ever seen improvements. Instead, we have not been able to update our landline phone, because Sprint no longer does landlines, nor equipment. It is more difficult to get any type of phone customer service that seems reliable and educated, and it makes our experiences with customer service, when we need to call, not pleasant. Their charges seem high, and I cringe when the bill comes, not knowing fully what to expect. Lots of dropped calls lately, between myself and many other family members. Phone cuts out, and I really do not want to go into a Sprint store with covid anytime soon. Overall, frustrating.

ZomBit Memphis, TN

When I moved to Mississippi the all powerful AT&T would not allow me to have no long distance no roaming as I left Lafayette Louisiana and moved to Poplarville, MS. I switched to Sprint in 2002 and have enjoyed a great relationship ever since.

Rseibold Phoenix, AZ

Sprint is only getting better. I’m not a fan of them not alerting you if you’ve paid Your device off. Instead they will just keep charging you the reoccurring payment which I don’t think is very ethical but I have great cell reception usually wherever I go. I do wish I could use the Internet while I was also on the phone but as long as you’re on Wi-Fi it’s not an issue

Evelyn Codrington New York, NY

Their network is week in isolated areas, they will send you equipment free of charge to help strengthen the signal. They at least try. Other company's such as Verizon what you to pay for their equipment to restrenthen their poor signal areas. Sprint does not get credit for that. They give about Airave's and other new pieces of equipment to help their customers.

KSCOMOGA

The technical part of the company is fantastic however, the sales side doesn't know how to tell the truth or be honest in any way. They will say some thing that is not true at all but it takes me awhile to find out. I put up with them since all my family and extended family's phones work so well. I have been with Sprint since 1998. The reason I choose Sprint was their old name United Telecommunications was my next-door neighbor. If the phone service wasn't flawless, I would not stay with them.

Mike T Linden, MI

I've been a Sprint customer for several years. I have used other cell companies through work accounts. I have to say Sprint does a good job, I have a couple ups and downs with them, but I can say as somone who has with them for 16 years now their coverage is much better, the value has always been very good, and the customer services has been high quality.

Mandeep Singh

I’m through all the major cell phone providers now and Sprint wins the first place. I travel a lot for work and have switched in between several providers. The Sprint had good signal almost everywhere I went. Their customer service was great. I wanted to write this review after I felt how good Sprint was compare to Verizon that I have now. I'm planning to switch back to Sprint soon.

Keri Havran Aurora, CO

I want to compliment on Shawne, the customer service representative. She went above and beyond to help me figure out a problem I was having with my phone. On May 5, 2018 I took it in to a Sprint store to get it activated but it kept showing a block call error and nobody in the stores knew what was wrong with it. Once I explained the problem Shawne knew exactly what the problem was and how to fix it. My phone is an older slider phone and she spent an hour looking for the codes to reset it. She went above and beyond and was so nice during the whole issue. Thank you so much!

Kari Staheli

I switched to Sprint summer of 2014 because of their Framily plan. When you are paying for 5 cell phones you go to where you can afford it. I have liked sprint because it is affordable and I am not locked into a plan. The customer service is pretty good however the wait time at a store is very long. Plan on having a couple of hours to get any issues resolved if you have techinical issues or need to buy a phone. The cell coverage isn't as good from sprint as I have had from other companies but it is good enough, and I have traveled through Europe and the US. I stay at sprint because they are affordable for my family and give me the service I need.

David Picard Fairfax, VA

I have service on the Sprint network through Credo mobile. They are based on the West Coast (US) and I'm outside of Washington DC, but I've been very impressed with their service. I've gotten 4 new devices sent in the three years my family has been doing business with them and each one was seamless. They also support causes I care about (read Non-Tea Party Conservative causes which are the darlings of AT&T and Verizon). Couldn't be happier!