Geico Auto Insurance

Geico Auto Insurance Logo

8.9

Geico Auto Insurance

Over 75 years in business

Geico is most famous for their creative advertising and television commercials, and their little gecko mascot has made them one of the most widely-known companies in the nation. Geico stands for Government Employees Insurance Company, and for much of its early history that was their target market. In 1974, under new leadership, Geico began offering insurance to the general public. However, a rate of rapid expansion led to a massive loss of revenue, and the company was forced to reorganize and downsize.

The Good

• Service Coverage
  • Coverage Features
  • Price Range
  • Discounts
  • Mobile App

Service Coverage

Geico provides auto insurance to residents in all 50 states.

Coverage Features

They offer a great selection of policy types, including all the features we like to see:

• Bodily Injury
  • Property
  • Emergency Road Service
  • Rental Reimbursement
  • Mechanical Breakdown Insurance

In addition to the standard coverage options, they also offer more specific options such as mechanical breakdown coverage and windshield replacement.

Price Range

Geico auto polices cost $78.10.

Discounts

There are almost too many discounts to count, as organization affiliations and a host of other factors are taken into account, but it is safe to say there are at least 15:

• Air bag
  • Federal employee
  • Multi-car
  • Multi-policy

Mobile App

Geico's free mobile phone app for iPhones and Android phones is remarkably well-reviewed. In fact, it is among the highest reviewed insurance apps on the market on both platforms. Android customers give it an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5, while iPhone users give the current version of the app a solid 5. Users love the fact that the app gives them full access to their insurance. From filing claims to requesting road assistance, there really isn't much this app doesn't do, and the interface is well designed. Honestly, this is the best insurance app we've seen out of all major insurance companies.

The Bad

• Poor Transparency
  • Potential Rate Hikes

Poor Transparency

It should be pointed out that while Geico has thousands of customer reviews on their own website, the overall rating of these reviews is much higher than on other review sites, which is interesting. It is possible that some negative reviews are censored, though there is no proof of that. What is clear is that the customer reviews on the Geico website lean heavily toward 5-star reviews, and while there are some 1-star reviews, there are very few rants from angry customers. This is not the case on many independent review websites, where Geico receives plenty of criticism.

Potential Rate Hikes

One common criticism is that Geico sometimes hikes insurance premium rates without explanation. Individual rate hikes can be steep and sometimes occur for no clear reason. Policyholders who have called customer service to inquire about rate hikes have in many cases simply been told that their policy was reevaluated. Whatever the case, the reevaluation process needs to be clarified. Customers should have at least some small idea of what to expect.

The Bottom Line

Anyone who is in the market for affordable insurance would do well to check out Geico. This is especially true of drivers with good credit and a clean driving record, in which case it is possible to find some of the most affordable premiums on the market. Geico does not offer the most extensive array of coverage options, and in fact is lacking a few of the popular options, such as gap coverage. However, they do have a few good discounts, including some fairly unique ones. Their mobile phone app is the best on the market, user friendly and full of helpful features. Overall, this is a solid insurance company offering competitive rates and convenience.

4.1

Ruth Anne Bright
July 19th, 2018 Mount Washington, KY

On several occasions Geico has been helpful in settling our homeowners and auto claims. The service is very customer service friendly. We are very pleased to have switched to Geico several years ago.

Bob Conley
July 19th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

They are a good company, but I want an insurance agent. Everything I did with them was online. That is an efficient way to do business. I prefer a more personal touch. I went with a local company with an office close by and an agent that knows me by name.

Sara Jane
July 17th, 2018 Crestwood, KY DETAILS

Good for what it is. Those who are low income or just starting out. It services that community very well. Once we became homeowners we changed companies, but as a young married couple it worked well.

Calista Huber
July 17th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

We switched to Geico from another company and not only are their commercials hilarious, they're really true... we've saved so much money! Geico has the best customer service - they usually answer very quickly, don't keep me on long holds, are very understanding and kind, and usually pretty easy to understand as well! Someone with no insurance hit us recently and all the Geico representatives were so thoughtful, said they were sorry that happened and asked if we were doing okay. I'd highly recommend Geico!

Cody Linden
July 17th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I loved being able to set up and personalize my account online and receive all my paperwork quickly in the mail. No surprises, simple and easy.

Taylor Vance
July 16th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

They have always been the cheapest option for my wife and I. The app is really easy to use. I've never had to make a claim so I cannot give you any detail on how that process is.

Nancy Morales
July 10th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Geico has a great response time to my claims. They addressed my issues/concerns and ensured I had repairs done timely. Their customer service representatives also made it clear on what I was required to do to get my repairs completed.

Jess Root
July 9th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We have had Geico for a couple of years. The price was much better than our last carrier. The app works great and makes it easy to file a claim.

Jim Stewart
July 6th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ DETAILS

Just had body work done and the body shop and Geicos' representative were extremely professional and courteous. Service King body repair in Queen Creek was the company Geico recommended and I was a little nervous about them doing the repair on our Honda Accord on the cheap. The repair was completed the day promised and the repair was excellent. The paint matched perfectly even with me knowing where to look for the repair. Couldnt be more pleased.

Rhonda stewart
July 6th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Great company. Excellent customer service

Julie Martinez
July 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

When my teenage son got his license, the insurance company we were with raised our rates to an unaffordable amount. We all have perfect driving records and my 16 year old had a 4.0 gpa. Geico picked us up at the same coverage for a very affordable rate and has not raised our rate at all.

Vanessa Siren
June 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Love Geico, recently in an accident and they provided me immediate help with follow up emails and texts. They were kind and seemed to care

michelle l pierce
June 22nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

This a very fare and caring company, They were always looking out for our needs

Chris Alonzo
June 22nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I was lucky enough to have experienced exceptional customer service when a claim was made against me. The agent was very professional and helped me clear up the mistake. She answered every question I had about this situation and made me feel like a top priority. I would recommend Geico insurance company to anyone looking for insurance the price is very affordable and the customer service is amazing.

Tom
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have had Geico Auto Insurance for many years and they are very customer oriented and do a great job and are easy to work with.

Avery Fowler
June 7th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

When I compared my current insurance with Geico, they were a little more expensive. We decided to stay with our insurance. If we ever need to switch companies I really think they will be the ones we go to because of their customer service and the options they provide.

Jordan Keck
June 6th, 2018 Iona, ID

Geico has always been so easy to work with for my auto insurance. I love their app, it makes it so easy to access all my account information and insurance cards. Stress free and very easy to work with.

Amy Crawley
June 5th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

Great customer service. Excellent rate charged. Trustworthy.

Cynthia Pelli
June 4th, 2018 Penn Valley, CA DETAILS

I have been with Geico for around 12 years and they are always there with a REAL Person who is very helpful and concerned about how I am and what happened. They are always on my side even if it's my fault. They are fast to get things taken care of. I LOVE GEICO!!! I would never consider another insurance company. Thank you GEICO!!!!

Amelia Gibson
June 4th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I like this company, they have funny commercials.

Dennis
May 25th, 2018 Auburn, CA DETAILS

After 15 years and never putting in a claim, my rate was raised $60, this not acceptable to me.

Norma
May 25th, 2018 Loveland, CO DETAILS

They treat me very good and I can talk to them anytime, in other words, their easy to reach

Irma Anderson
May 25th, 2018 Arnaudville, LA DETAILS

Because they are easy to work with. I can always call and speak to a representative.

rsemaria
May 21st, 2018 Lindenhurst, NY DETAILS

Easy to work with. Will raise your rates big time after an accident. No accident forgivness.

EvaM
May 21st, 2018 Houston, TX DETAILS

Have been with GEICO over 30 years. Have never experienced any problems.

Anna Bichiashvili
May 21st, 2018 Belle, MO DETAILS

They have been my provider for many years. They're always there when I call on them.

flojo
May 21st, 2018 Surprise, AZ DETAILS

If I have an issue they are quick to respond, their rates are very comparable to other companies and their customer service is outstanding.

Deja Barnes
May 21st, 2018 Woodland Hills, CA DETAILS

Geico has excellent customer service. My whole family uses Geico and could not be more pleased with them.

Susan Kaplan
May 11th, 2018 DETAILS

Good value, great customer service, rewards for seniors, rewards for safe drivers

toccara clark
May 11th, 2018 DETAILS

I have been with Geico for over 10 year without any claims. I believe they should lower my monthly insurance rate, its way to expensive.

Isa Infante
May 7th, 2018 Knoxville, TN DETAILS

Fast and efficient service. Inexpensive. Reliable. Fair.

CatLady
May 7th, 2018 Apex, NC DETAILS

Geico makes insurance painless. They are trustworthy, get the job done, and have great customer service. Best prices in the business -

Elyse Bradley
May 2nd, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I've been a customer for quite a few years and while I've only ever had to use my claims once or twice, the premium seems to be continually rising when it's not supposed to. I'm currently thinking of switching based on this. However, their claims process has been relatively easy to navigate.

Cathy Gordon
May 1st, 2018 West Chester, OH DETAILS

I was leery about this company but I've been so pleased with the price and the service. I've saved a lot of money and I've had an accident that was my fault. They gave me chance to lower my rate by taking an online driving course.

David Lewis
May 1st, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I have had a great experience with Geico, especially their roadside assistance, but I don't think it's as cheap as the lead you to believe in their commercials. But I guess if you want good coverage, you have to pay a little more for it.

JRosa
April 30th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Besides hilarious commercials, Ive been with Geico for ten years and can recommend them whole heartedly.

Trevor Woller
April 30th, 2018 Beaverton, OR DETAILS

I spent hours upon hours getting car insurance quotes, and Geico was by far the cheapest option available. It's also really easy to access their customer service through their app.

Justin Ashby
April 25th, 2018 Portland, OR DETAILS

Our rates continued to go up because a "high volume of accidents in our area." I thought that was pretty lame. Not impressed. Insurance almost doubled when we moved states as well.

Erin Rhoton
April 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Geico was the cheapest car insurance we could find out of the major companies. We have had to use their roadside assistance and they got to us quickly.

Doom Truong
April 23rd, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Awesome service and definitely the cheapest. Moved over from farmers insurance and now will never leave Geico.