Geico Auto Insurance

8.3

Geico is most famous for their creative advertising and television commercials, and their little gecko mascot has made them one of the most widely-known companies in the nation. Geico stands for Government Employees Insurance Company, and for much of its early history that was their target market. In 1974, under new leadership, Geico began offering insurance to the general public. However, a rate of rapid expansion led to a massive loss of revenue, and the company was forced to reorganize and downsize.

The Good

• Service coverage
  • Coverage features
  • Price range
  • Discounts
  • Mobile app

Service Coverage

Geico provides auto insurance to residents in all 50 states.

Coverage Features

They offer a great selection of policy types, including all the features we like to see:

• Bodily Injury
  • Property
  • Emergency Road Service
  • Rental Reimbursement
  • Mechanical Breakdown Insurance

In addition to the standard coverage options, they also offer more specific options such as mechanical breakdown coverage and windshield replacement.

Price Range

Geico auto polices cost $78.10.

Discounts

There are almost too many discounts to count, as organization affiliations and a host of other factors are taken into account, but it is safe to say there are at least 15:

• Air bag
  • Federal employee
  • Multi-car
  • Multi-policy

Mobile App

Geico's free mobile phone app for iPhones and Android phones is remarkably well-reviewed. In fact, it is among the highest reviewed insurance apps on the market on both platforms. Android customers give it an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5, while iPhone users give the current version of the app a solid 5. Users love the fact that the app gives them full access to their insurance. From filing claims to requesting road assistance, there really isn't much this app doesn't do, and the interface is well designed. Honestly, this is the best insurance app we've seen out of all major insurance companies.

The Bad

• Poor transparency
  • Potential rate hikes

Poor Transparency

It should be pointed out that while Geico has thousands of customer reviews on their own website, the overall rating of these reviews is much higher than on other review sites, which is interesting. It is possible that some negative reviews are censored, though there is no proof of that. What is clear is that the customer reviews on the Geico website lean heavily toward 5-star reviews, and while there are some 1-star reviews, there are very few rants from angry customers. This is not the case on many independent review websites, where Geico receives plenty of criticism.

Potential Rate Hikes

One common criticism is that Geico sometimes hikes insurance premium rates without explanation. Individual rate hikes can be steep and sometimes occur for no clear reason. Policyholders who have called customer service to inquire about rate hikes have in many cases simply been told that their policy was reevaluated. Whatever the case, the reevaluation process needs to be clarified. Customers should have at least some small idea of what to expect.

The Bottom Line

Anyone who is in the market for affordable insurance would do well to check out Geico. This is especially true of drivers with good credit and a clean driving record, in which case it is possible to find some of the most affordable premiums on the market.

Geico does not offer the most extensive array of coverage options, and in fact is lacking a few of the popular options, such as gap coverage. However, they do have a few good discounts, including some fairly unique ones. Their mobile phone app is the best on the market, user friendly and full of helpful features. Overall, this is a solid insurance company offering competitive rates and convenience.

3.4

November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

Geico is the worst. They screwed us over when we rear ended a car that slammed on their breaks, ON THE FREEWAY. They refused to try and help us and charged us an arm and a leg. That Geico mascot is a liar and a deceiver. We switched car insurances immediately after this occurrence.

November 12th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

I've had Geico for many years and they're okay. Their website functionality and customer service is very good. However, when I actually did have to make a claim, it seemed like I was going against the grain in every way to get them to pay up and help me out. It seemed I was suddenly talking to the B-team of customer service reps and it was a difficult process, making it almost not worth it with the risk of my premium rising. I don' t think this is unique among auto insurance companies however, and their prices are very good.

November 5th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Cheap, with great customer service. I've been very pleased so far. Every time I've called I've gotten a knowledgeable person on the other end, with no phone tree. Its great! I've never had to file a claim but I'm confident it would be handled well.

November 5th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I use them for home, car, and umbrella coverage. Have had to make a couple of claims and their service has always been just wonderful.

November 4th, 2017 DETAILS

Geico gave me great customer service over the phone. They give me text updates when they're going to charge my card. I feel like they don't take advantage of me

November 2nd, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Geico has very competitive prices and they are really kind to us. We checked around a lot to other car insurance companies, but no one measures up to the prices Geico offers.

October 30th, 2017 Fairfield, CA DETAILS

Very poor after sale customer support via the telephone

October 26th, 2017 Fremont, CA DETAILS

I recently needed to make a claim with Geico and the process was extremely easy. That's when you know how good your insurance is - when you need to use it. I filed my claim online. I was given several choices of how to proceed. I chose to take my car to a Geico authorized repair shop. It was wonderful, just one stop. The Geico agent was there and took photos and processed the claim. Then the auto repair shop did their paperwork and kept the car. If I needed a rental car that was onsite also. I received text messages of status throughout the process. I don't give them 5 stars however because of another issue. I moved a few months ago and my rate went up significantly ($200 per year). I moved only 2 miles but I changed zip codes. Rates are determined by zip code. I was not happy with the rate increase.

October 26th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Actually saved a ton of money by switching to Geico. I had State Farm before and I went from liability on an old car to full coverage on a bank-owned truck and overall paid less. Rinse and repeat story for when my wife joined my plan. Our combined rate was less than what she was paying solo. I haven't made any claims, so I can't speak to how responsive they are when you're in need, but when I needed emergency roadside assistance it was prompt and free.

October 24th, 2017 DETAILS

They increase your rates for no good reason after it's time for renewel.

September 12th, 2017 Arlington, TX

Economical and Quick work of claims. Competetive

September 12th, 2017 Arlington, TX

Economical and Quick work of claims. Competetive

September 12th, 2017 San Jose, CA

I was in a MVA caused by another driver, 5 car collision, to be specific and the whole time trying to get my money back after drs and missing work for 2 months cause of this accident they kept low balling me giving me problems to get reimbursed giving me the run around it was THE WORST EXPERIENCE I EVER HAD! They were NOO help!

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

My family and I are so happy we switched to Geico. We were paying so much for out car insurance and now we are literally paying a fraction of what we used to pay. Also, anytime I have question about my policy I know that I can call their customer support and get the answer that I need.

June 11th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Their rates are affordable, but their customer service is not impressive.

June 10th, 2017 Orem, UT

we have been with geico for about 6 years. my daughter recently was in an accident, the other driver was at fault. geico has been super helpful in covering her medical needs,they will then collect from the other persons insurance.

June 8th, 2017 Sandy, UT

Best rates I have come across. When I called customer service, they were very friendly and helpful.

June 6th, 2017 Herriman, UT

After shopping for car insurance, Geico was the cheapest for our family. Fortunately, I have never had to use my car insurance. I have had to call a couple of times with questions and their customer service has always been easy to work with. Geico is a great deal.

June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

We've been with Geico for a couple of years. My husband likes them more than I do. We had several issues with trying to get cards in the right names for the right cars. They just kept messing up. Any time we have to call it's a huge pain, and the people are not that nice to deal with. While they are cheap, their service is not great at all.

June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Geico literally the best! When we switched to Geico we only payed half of what we were paying with different insurance.

June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

We swapped to Geico a few years ago after my last insurance company decided not to take care of me when a car hit me when I had the right of way as a pedestrian. We were both represented by the same insurance company and didn't get what I deserved. Geico has had good prices, and mediocre at best customer service. I have had some issues with them, but the price is good.

May 28th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I'm insured through Geico. I've done price comparisons, and simply can't get the coverage for a better price

May 25th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I really love using Geico, they literally have saved us hundreds of dollars when comparing to our previous provider. They work quickly, and the mobile app is really easy to use and helpful. I'll be sticking with Geico for a long time.

April 11th, 2017

Someone made a claim in my name. The customer service staff have been less than helpful. Terrible customer service

August 27th, 2016 Winter Park, FL

All of the above isn't an option. Been a Geico customer for over 15 years, and have had exactly one negative experience in all that time. Samantha in the Orlando office has been helpful, thoughtful, knowledgeable and always has a smile and a willingness to assist in any way she can.

July 18th, 2016 Alpine, UT

I initially went with Geico because they were able to drastically decrease my rates. However, that came at a cost when I actually needed them. I had an instance come up where I specifically asked them to keep me informed on a certain circumstance and they completely failed to notify me of any updates. I even made sure they put a special notice on my account to be updated. All together, they failed to follow through and I have moved onto other insurance providers.

January 24th, 2016 Kilauea, HI

i was a customer for 10 years with 5 vehicles under there policy then received a letter accusing me of using one of the units for paying passengers. I asked them for proof they would not give me any and cancelled my entire policy even with out a blink of an eye. I will continue to express how awful they were with more evidence after my 18 year old daughters pickup truck was stolen and they denied the entire claim! never use them they are corrupt!