Contact a company – $100 satisfaction guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Geico Auto Insurance Logo

9.1

Geico Auto Insurance

Over 75 years in business

Geico is most famous for their creative advertising and television commercials, and their little gecko mascot has made them one of the most widely-known companies in the nation. Geico stands for Government Employees Insurance Company, and for much of its early history that was their target market. In 1974, under new leadership, Geico began offering insurance to the general public. However, a rate of rapid expansion led to a massive loss of revenue, and the company was forced to reorganize and downsize.

The Good

• Service Coverage
  • Coverage Features
  • Price Range
  • Discounts
  • Mobile App

Service Coverage

Geico provides auto insurance to residents in all 50 states.

Coverage Features

They offer a great selection of policy types, including all the features we like to see:

• Bodily Injury
  • Property
  • Emergency Road Service
  • Rental Reimbursement
  • Mechanical Breakdown Insurance

In addition to the standard coverage options, they also offer more specific options such as mechanical breakdown coverage and windshield replacement.

Price Range

Geico auto polices cost $78.10.

Discounts

There are almost too many discounts to count, as organization affiliations and a host of other factors are taken into account, but it is safe to say there are at least 15:

• Air bag
  • Federal employee
  • Multi-car
  • Multi-policy

Mobile App

Geico's free mobile phone app for iPhones and Android phones is remarkably well-reviewed. In fact, it is among the highest reviewed insurance apps on the market on both platforms. Android customers give it an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5, while iPhone users give the current version of the app a solid 5. Users love the fact that the app gives them full access to their insurance. From filing claims to requesting road assistance, there really isn't much this app doesn't do, and the interface is well designed. Honestly, this is the best insurance app we've seen out of all major insurance companies.

The Bad

• Poor Transparency
  • Potential Rate Hikes

Poor Transparency

It should be pointed out that while Geico has thousands of customer reviews on their own website, the overall rating of these reviews is much higher than on other review sites, which is interesting. It is possible that some negative reviews are censored, though there is no proof of that. What is clear is that the customer reviews on the Geico website lean heavily toward 5-star reviews, and while there are some 1-star reviews, there are very few rants from angry customers. This is not the case on many independent review websites, where Geico receives plenty of criticism.

Potential Rate Hikes

One common criticism is that Geico sometimes hikes insurance premium rates without explanation. Individual rate hikes can be steep and sometimes occur for no clear reason. Policyholders who have called customer service to inquire about rate hikes have in many cases simply been told that their policy was reevaluated. Whatever the case, the reevaluation process needs to be clarified. Customers should have at least some small idea of what to expect.

The Bottom Line

Anyone who is in the market for affordable insurance would do well to check out Geico. This is especially true of drivers with good credit and a clean driving record, in which case it is possible to find some of the most affordable premiums on the market. Geico does not offer the most extensive array of coverage options, and in fact is lacking a few of the popular options, such as gap coverage. However, they do have a few good discounts, including some fairly unique ones. Their mobile phone app is the best on the market, user friendly and full of helpful features. Overall, this is a solid insurance company offering competitive rates and convenience.

4.1

Jeffrey Dean
November 16th, 2018 New Orleans, LA DETAILS

GEICO for military members was a great stand in for USAA. I would recommend this if you had issues with USAA or any other military linked insurance agency. There billing e-mails were easy to follow. GEICO is in my top 5 insurers.

Rischelle Mikkelson
November 14th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

It is easy to get quotes from them. They were the best value when we were able to apply good grade discounts. When we purchased our house, we switched carriers because of better bundle options.

Emma
November 9th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

As a teen driver, auto insurance is insanely expensive but Geico had the cheapest coverage. And they are always nice on the phone if I have questions. I feel protected while driving.

Rachel B
November 6th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

Geico is a friendly site, I used them for a good while! I did however find a better deal with another company, no hard feelings- still a good company.

Jason Pyrah
November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS

Geico has been great. They have helped me out when I got into several car crashes. Their staff has always been helpful for me.

Kelsie
November 2nd, 2018 Lake Jackson, TX DETAILS

Recently I was hit by someone. I was shaken and hysterical, and the sweet woman who answered made sure I was okay before she even began to ask me what happened. They have taken care of everything, and the adjuster even came to my work to check out my car so that I didn’t have to take any time off. Every single person I’ve dealt with thus far has went above and beyond. Ive been with geico for many years but thankfully have never been involved in an accident so this was my first experience dealing with adjusters and claims. I’ll never insure with anyone else for sure after this experience. They just got a customer for life.

Raymond
November 2nd, 2018 Panama City, FL DETAILS

Geico is unprofessional and give the run around. My car was damaged during Hurricane Michael and I went to get an estimate, however the adjuster seems to think that some of the paint chipping was already present for 2 years plus. (Bull) I had the car 1 year and it was in perfect shape. He ordered a second opinion and started that someone will reach out to me however I have been calling them for 20 days now and have yet to reach anyone. I have call the Claims line and they stated they have sent several emails and still no answer. They continue to tell me to reach out to the adjuster after I continue to tell them that nobody is answering the phone or returning my voicemails. I am frustrated and fed up with them at this point. I live in Florida and the adjuster resides in Ohio and left a mess.

Amanda
October 31st, 2018 Sweet Home, OR DETAILS

I would give a negative 10 stars if it was an option! My husband's truck bed was severely damaged in a parking lot accident. We live in rural Oregon so their preferred Adjuster/Inspector was a 45 minute drive away. My husband took time off work to drive there only to arrive at his SCHEDULED appointment and be told that the Adjuster does not work there anymore. The body shop told him he was the 7th person that had come in that week! So we got on the phone with Geico and they got in touch with another Adjuster about 15 minutes away. He drove over and had the truck looked at and the man was "unable" to issue a repair check due to the claim being assigned to the other company that no longer worked in auto claims. He assured us a check would be mailed. He said once we get the check to cash it and have the truck fixed. A week later we get the check and deposit it in the bank on a Thursday, it goes "pending" and clears on a Tuesday. Today is Wednesday and the truck is at an auto-body shop currently. I got a call from my bank that Geico put a "stop payment" on their check. The Adjuster DID NOT call me at any point about the stop payment or any issues. My personal account in now overdrawn in the thousands and my husband is at a repair shop 3 HOURS AWAY getting the truck fixed with ZERO money and an OVERDRAWN bank account. I have been on the phone for going on 2 hours with no resolution. So now we have paid $3800 cash to get the truck fixed and our bank is overdrawn by $3156....leaving us at a grand total of $6956 out of packet when it should have been our $500 deductible!!!! They are offering to send a $2600 check through the mail...this is NOT a way to run a business! This is fraud and outrageous!

James Randall
October 30th, 2018 Riverton, UT DETAILS

We have loved Geico for auto insurance. They are easy to deal with and set up a policy and even easier to get a claim paid. We have only ever had 1 claim and it was with Geico. They seemed to me to go above and beyond in helping us through the proces and getting the claim paid.

Moriah Green
October 29th, 2018 Broadway, NC DETAILS

Initially, I received a quote online. When I called to talk to a representative on 9/29, they were very helpful in answering all of my questions regarding coverage, discounts, payments, etc. The quote from the phone call was higher than the online quote, due to my accident from Jan. 2018. They were aware of this incident on the phone. I was understanding of the premium increase based on my driving record. I received the Geico binder in the mail and the documentation was accurate per our phone coversation. The packet included a letter from the underwriting department stating that my premium was adjusted due to the accident (still the same price as discussed on the phone). Then, about 2 weeks later, I received another letter from Geico. This letter documents new monthly payments for the next 5 months due to a "policy change." Today, I called Geico and asked about the new monthly price. I was informed that the original premium was changed after they ran the motor vehicle report, which showed my accident and that 2 points were assigned to it. I was upset that this possible increase was never discussed with me in the first place. Their only answer is that the phone representative probably didn't know about it.

Sam Anders
October 29th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

When I purchased my first car, I went with Geico since they were the best price and I've been with them ever since. That car was a beater and their roadside assistance saved me quite a few times. Beyond that I haven't had to make any other claims (knocks on wood).

Sade Makinde
October 26th, 2018 Randallstown, MD DETAILS

The customer service is good but the price keeps going up despite accident forgiveness and longevity with the company.

Tammy Brady
October 24th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Premiums are fair. Have had to file some claims and they have been really helpful. Got cars appraised immediately and paid for all the work needed.

Nerissa Pineda
October 15th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

We have had Geico Auto ( as well as renters insurance) for the last couple of years. Their service is fast and customer service is knowledgeable. Our claims have been handled quickly and when mistakes were made, our funds were refunded quickly. Customer service is easy to talk too, questions are answered, and the wait time on the phone is not long at all. We have enjoyed their services.

Steve Drutis
September 26th, 2018 Lexington, SC DETAILS

I had an auto policy covering 3 vehicles. My daughter had an issue with DMV where they threatened to cancel her driving license if she did not pay the fine. She paid the fine and received a letter from DMV stating the issue was resolved. This was approximately 2 months prior. Geico stated they sent a letter to my address stating if they did not receive information in 10 days they would cancel the policy. Well this notice, if we received it, must have been filed with all of the other junk mail we receive. In any case the date passed and Geico cancelled not only my daughter's insurance, but all policies for our three vehicles, without any additional notifications(which they confirmed on the phone). I was without insurance for 11 days before I received a letter from the DMV. The DMV in SC charges a $5 per day for each vehicle without insurance from the date of non-insurance (totaling $165). I requested a letter from Geico stating the fact that I only received a single notification before policy was cancelled, and they did not send any further notification that my policy was cancelled, so I can use this convince the DMV that I should not be charged the penalty. This is the worst policy I have ever heard!!!! Even if they sent me a letter stating they were going to cancel my insurance, they should have notified me when they actually cancelled the policy. This should be the Law!!! It took three calls and more than an one hr of my time before I could get a manager. Geico's customer service rep and manager refused to send a letter or email stating the facts. In addition, after renewing my policy(so I would have coverage over the weekend) geico stated my policy rate was going up $50/mo total of $300/per 6 mo policy. The Geico rep and manager refused to give me my prior rate. Needless to say I am cancelling all of my policies, and will never use Geico again for any purpose. My family was without insurance for 11 days, had anyone been in an accident we could have lost everything!!! Geico Sucks

D
September 24th, 2018 Miami, FL DETAILS

This company is ridiculous they want you to do everything online give you a policy take your money and then mail you paperwork to fill out and return and threaten that if you don’t they will charge you more.

Veniamin Vakoulich
September 21st, 2018 North Port, FL

It is worst experience for me for my driving time. I lived in Erie PA and had full coverage and comprehensive insurance. Moved to Florida. Was recommended by my wife's cusen to go with Geico. After getting my insurance at Geico, two month later I had a small accident. When I report a claim, turned out I don't have coverage for my vehicle. They said, I never requested. With increasing all bodily injury coverage and having comprehensive coverage, turned out I didn't insure my vehicle?. Crazy. Never again. The worst company. Stay away from it.

Lesieli
September 18th, 2018 Portland, OR

Good customer service on the phone and they help get help faster

Melissa Gillings
September 17th, 2018

When my car was hit in a parking lot it was so frustrating! I called Geico and they made the repair process so simple. I made one phone call and they arranged for a day for me to drop off my car, do an estimate, get me a rental, and do the actual repair! So

Mark Evers
September 17th, 2018 Lehi, UT

Love the geico gecko.. even though I don’t have their insurance.. great marketing strategy that makes me think about them if I need to refer anyone for car insurance. (I am a car salesman)

Shari Evers
September 18th, 2018 Lehi, UT

Really good insurance company, that really cares about their customers. Highly recommend Geico!

Tori Miller
September 17th, 2018 Draper, UT

Geico customer service is outstanding. we have used them for car insurance for many years and they are always so easy to work with. Their app is so user friendly and you can change or add/delete cars or users so easily and fast. Their pricing always is cheaper than other companies we contact.

Celia
September 13th, 2018 Waipahu, HI

Excellent customer service & prices. Shopped around for insurance quotes & Geico was the best deal. Now we are driving with low monthly insurance premiums & we know we can rely on Geico for our insurance needs. It was easy & fast.

Joy Henry
August 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Gieco it the worst insurance agency to work with. I do not have Gieco but had to deal with someone who wrecked into our car and dealing with them on this accident was a joke and they ultimately decide who is at fault and it won't go in your favor. They will find a way to rip you off and not give you what it will take to get your car fix even when its not your fault. I would never use them for my auto insurance.

wanda
August 30th, 2018 Saint George, UT

after having horrible experiences with other auto insurance company i was so pleased to find Geico. excellent and knowledgeable customer agents who not only verbally assured me what i was signing up for, but send me an email showing my coverages. very impressed. i have been with Geico for many years now and i am still a happy customer. no complaints at all. they care about us customers. rates went up but only by a few dollars.

Derek Scoville
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Geico was super quick and easy to get a quote online! They were able to supply me with insurance on my ATV's. It was a simple process and their website was easy to use.

Angel
September 5th, 2018 Wisconsin Dells, WI DETAILS

Geico is a joke. Horrible customer service i would never ever recommend this insurance to anyone. They probably the worst insurance in the market.

Tevita
August 29th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Been a customer for a few years and have been satisfied. Dealing with insurance with accidents have been easy and our rate did not jump like other companies we have had.

Ashley Findlay
August 29th, 2018 Pocatello, ID

Love love love geico!! They are the best insurance to work with on customer assistance and their pricing can’t be beat!

Preston Fowler
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Geico really can save you 15% or more on car insurance. Theyre very helpful with customers and I emjoy working with them.

Anne Radcliffe
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

we have had 2 claims with Geico. They did a great job, now they carry our home owner's insurance policy as well.

Kristiane R Durfey
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have never had any issues or problems with Geico insurance. Their rates were competitive and sufficient for our needs. We never had to file a claim with them so I'm not sure if it's more difficult or an easier process than the others.

Darluap
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Never had a bad experience with home or auto insurance. Ben through a couple auto accidents and they've been great.

J Paul Wright
August 27th, 2018 Central, UT

I have been with GEICO for over 20 years and have really loved and appreciated their quick responsiveness to our claims. We also carry the emergency roadside coverage and it has been used many times for a quick tow, to help fix a tire, or even provide gas one time. It has been a lifesaver.

Mali
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

i LOVE Geico. my entire family has been with them for YEARS. they have affordable insurance plans, excellent customer service. and statements are emailed consistantly every month and they email me reminder of my upcoming bill and when it is due. I have auto pay with them and its always the same every month.

Jr
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

i have been a loyal and satisfied customer for 4 years now. its affordable and good customer service.

Tilda
August 27th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Price started out low but every renewed my price went up by more then $30.

Sarah Taliulu
August 24th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

We’ve insured our cars through Geico for 10+ years now and have never had any issues! They offer competitive rates and always add any discounts we’re eligible for. We have had a handful of claims during those years, some our fault some not, and each was taken care of quickly and without problems. Their app is convenient & easy to use.

Kris
August 22nd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Geico customer service is fast and great. My problems are solved quickly and professionally.

Katie Young
August 20th, 2018 Charlottesville, VA

Geico has always been easy to work with and has the best rates. I even was involved in an accident and my rates did not go up thanks to their accident forgiveness program. I recently purchased renters insurance with them on top of auto insurance and have been happy with Geico for the past 6 year.