Critter Control

6.3

Critter Control was founded in 1983 by Kevin Clark, who had a new vision for animal control and wildlife removal: to consistently practice humane wildlife management. Critter Control handles all types of household pests but focuses on vertebrate pests such as squirrels, raccoons, rats, and a variety of birds. Its service focuses on eliminating animals, preventing future damage and repairing the existing damage.

Critter Control has determined standards of excellence in animal pest control, and the company upholds these standards with its professional staff of biologists, zoologists, animal control officers, and anti-cruelty personnel.

The Good

• CritterSafe & Services Performed
  • Wildlife Management
  • Preventative Measures
  • Attic Insulation and T.A.P Pest Control Insulation
  • Financing Options

CritterSafe & Services Performed

Critter Control has introduced CritterSafe that offers an even more humane wildlife management option. CritterSafe offers non-lethal animal removal services, no-trap animal control, wildlife release on-site, and one-way doors to help minimize stress on wild animals. CritterSafe also includes an exclusive Animal Entry Worksheet, home inspection and detection service to identify potential wildlife entry points and prevent animals from further damaging a home or business.

Homeowners and businesses can expect the following services when they call Critter Control:

• Species-specific no-trap animal removal techniques featuring one-way doors and excluders
  • Humane animal handling, safe harborage and reuniting of offspring with parents/siblings
  • The use of eco-friendly animal repellents and deterrent techniques to discourage return
  • Professional grade animal proofing: animal entry and exit holes, identified problem areas, roof vents, chimneys, plumbing vent pipes, exhaust vents, decks, porches, garages, etc.
  • Consumer awareness and education regarding follow-up procedures

CritterSafe is the environmentally-friendly animal removal alternative for residential and commercial properties that uses humane wildlife techniques to help protect wild animals.

Wildlife Management

Critter Control is the nation's leading wildlife control company. The company specializes in preventing and solving its customer's pest and animal problems. The company offers animal trapping, dead animal removal, wild animal control, and capturing wild animals. Many of the Critter Control offices also provide pest control and exterminator services.

Critter Control has advocated for humane animal removal services. Critter Control uses innovative, integrated methods to handle nuisance animals responsibly.

With every unwanted wildlife situation Critter Control first identifies the point of entry, traps or removes the animal, then start working on preventing other animals from getting in. Critter Control offers efficient and affordable solutions for wildlife insects, varmint, and other critters, such as:

• Ant infestation
  • Skunk control
  • Snake removal
  • Squirrel control
  • Termites

In short, Critter Control is equipped to handle just about any pest problem it encounters. That said, the company specifically states on its website that they will not get rid of a dog or cat.

Preventative Measures

The professionals at Critter Control may use several different methods of habitat modification and exclusion to effectively keep wild animals from entering a home. Habitat modification identifies and limits access to food, water, and shelter for the target species, whereas, exclusion techniques entail sealing points of entry, placing screens over vents, or establishing some type of barrier.

Your Critter Control technician will quickly identify the wild animal, determine the best course of action and develop an effective (yet safe) plan of defense.

Attic Insulation and T.A.P. Pest Control Insulation

While Critter Control mostly focuses on wildlife management does offer other services. Customers can help reduce the cost of their energy bills by replacing or adding the correct amount of attic insulation. Critter Control advises customers to check with the U.S. Department of Energy’s website to find out if the existing attic insulation matches current government recommendations.

The Critter Control team can also fill an attic with T.A.P., a green insulation made from recycled paper that incorporates a borate-based pest control into the product. T.A.P. is said to outperform traditional insulation, but the best part is that it helps keep unwanted ants, termites, and cockroaches at bay.

Financing Options

Critter Control does offer financing options through AMS Financial. Customers can call Critter Control and talk to a technician to get an estimate of a price range, but an inspection will be necessary to provide an exact cost.

The Bad

• Limited Plan Information
  • Not Available In Every State

Limited Plan Information

While many other pest control companies give a detailed description of their plans, Critter Control’s procedures are not outlined in depth. The company provides a brief overview of the plan, but that is it. This is not necessarily a problem, especially in the case of one-time-need animal removal. Critter Control promises to practice humane animal treatment and to use eco-aware chemicals, when necessary. However, because individuals must first share address and contact information to receive a quote, whereas a more detailed plan would likely make potential clients much more comfortable.

No Yard Service

Critter control does not appear to offer any lawn or garden services to its customers specifically fertilization, weed control, and hot spot management.

Not Available In Every State

Critter Control is offered in 38 states + Washington D.C. They even serve Ontario and Quebec.

Customers can find a nearby Critter Control branch in these states:

• Alabama
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin

The Bottom Line

Critter Control is not the standard type of pest control, although the company offers that as well. If customers are experiencing raccoons in their garbage cans, squirrels in the attic, coyotes eating the pet food, or mice and rats chewing up electrical wires, Critter Control is a great choice to remove unwanted pests and animals safely.
Because there are a number of factors that determine how much removing the wild animals from your property will cost: location of the animal (chimney, crawl space, attic, etc.), the condition of the animal (sick, dead, aggressive, etc.), the time of year, and the condition of the property, Critter Control does not disclose prices. Although customers interested in using Critter Control to get rid of nuisance animals are encouraged to call and get an estimate.

For customers looking for help beyond the typical pest control, Critter Control should be a top choice, but if you’re looking for an exclusively Pest Control Company we suggest you take a look at the highest-rated pest control service providers.

View Best Pest Control Companies

2.4

Bibi Hassan Dayton, OH

I was very dissatisfied with the service if i could give 0 star i would. Mike the trapper came over leave a few cages on my kitchen floor over the weekend & tell me to call in every morning by 8 am if the cage is empty which i did. Video clip for the kitchen shows the squirrel circling around the cage went halfway in but the trap failed to go off. Monday morning i ask for the trap to be removed cause it didn't work, they never offer to put a better cage but expect to get paid. This company charge my credit card $247.00 for doing nothing.

Reply from Critter Control

Hi Bibi, we do not have any name Mike in our Austin office. Maybe you are speaking of a different company?

Mar. 15th, 2021

James Meyers Peoria, IL

Having read a few horrible reviews of Critter Control I can't imagine how this can be. I must believe it is a problem with individual areas because I have never been happier with ANY services at my home. I have had Critter Control out at least four times. I had Raccoons, Groundhogs (twice), and Squirrels. Each time the problem was resolved quickly and professionally. I do have to say that their services are not cheap but you get what you pay for. Also in the Squirrel situation I got an estimate from another service and that quote was four times what I eventually paid Critter Control and the other people would have caused damage in the process according to what they said needed to be done. I can't recommend Critter Control highly enough.

Reply from Critter Control

Thank you for the kind words!

Mona Roodman Indianapolis, IN

I had Critter Control out to get rid of squirrels that got enclosed in crawl space of my attic. They were the only company out of 4 that would get them out of the wall space they had fallen into. They cut out the space and took them away. One living and one dead. They placed a doorway in their home so the adults could leave, but not reenter. Then they covered all remaining possible entries with metal. I'm very satisfied with their work.

Reply from Critter Control

Thank you! We are so happy we could help!

AR Rio Rancho, NM

I heard scratching noises in a wall and called Critter Control. The sales person who sold me the service told me that if any critter showed up again that Critter Control would be back out. The service contract was for a year. I was hesitant to do this, but did it anyway. The charge for (initial) services is $1,500. I find that way overcharged! This included disinfection of the property - mostly around the periphery. - Closing off of any opening a critter can get in: Crawlspace (actually this was not completed) vents around the base of the house and any opening on the vents etc. on the roof. Also initial placement of traps and emptying of same (one mouse!). Plus placement of bait stations. The sales person who sold me the service told me that if any critter showed up again that Critter Control would be back out. What actually happened is that I had the above initial service, and quickly found out that the continued monthly check of bait stations would cost me an additional $75 pr. month. And that if Critter Control was to help with continued critter control I would have to pay an additional $500 for each trap!!!!! I am sad to say that I feel that this service has been a rip-off.

Peter Greensboro, NC

Joe serviced our home and each time, he explained what the options were and how long it would take. He was personable, knowledgeable and very customer-oriented. We were confident that Joe would deliver what he said he would. Thank you! Peter

Kyle Francis Blue Springs, MO

Was told it would be $169.00 just for the tech to SHOW UP. Then, it would be ADDITIONAL for removing the wasp nests that I called about. Are you kidding me. That much money just to show up and say "hi, I'm here to rip you off". I'll do it myself. This company will overcharge the hell out of you if that's the price to just show up, steer clear.

Ginny Menk Norfolk, VA

This company is horrible, if I could leave 0 stars I would. The guy (local contracter) they sent to my house really didn't know how to get rid of the raccoon in my attic, just spent the whole time trying to sell me around $10,000 worth of repair services. Including $7500 to replace all the insulation in my attic- lol. This appears to be just a lead generation services for companies that do the type of work people with animals in their house might need.

Collin Burnett Fort Worth, TX

I've had Critter control do work at two of my homes and my in-laws house. I'd say they preformed the work quickly and accurately.

Shannon Dunlap Fort Collins, CO

Unfortunately I have had nothing but issues with this company. We originally called them to come out and inspect our attic as we were hearing noises. The inspector didnt even get into the attic, just looked up in the opening and decided it was a rat. So we treated and took all the suggestions. Unfortunately the noises continued. We called them out again. They basically told us we were crazy and there was nothing going on. Fast forward. Loud noises in our attic again. I called and was told someone would be out, no one showed. I even called the office and was told the tech was running late but would be here, nope. I called the following day and asked to speak to a manager, did one call me? nope. Extremely frustrated I called again and was able to get a tech out. No ladder, no inspection. The tech told me that he just didnt know what was going on and wanted to get it figured out but frankly just didnt like driving to Fort Collins. Luckily I had called another company and they were coming out the next day. They got into the attic and did a full inspection, took pictures so they could show me what they found. Bats. They immediately started course correction. If you live in Denver maybe a better experience, but if you live in Fort Collins, go local. They actually care.

Laura Boulder, CO

Critter Control was supposed to show up a week ago for a free estimate. The day of the appointment, they called to say they were running late. OK, that happens all the time. Then he called back to say he would charge me $400.00 to come here. NOT OK. What happened to the free estimate. I called the office every day for four days and was promised a manager would call me back within the hour. No one ever called back until Mr. Manager with his excuses told me it would be at least 2 weeks until they could come here and it would not be free. BAIT AND SWITCH - untrustworthy! Very disappointing - lack of customer service.

susan Fort Lauderdale, FL

Nicole and Ivan were so helpful and accommodating when we need a quick solution to our problem. A special thanks to Ivan who went above and beyond for us.

Thank you!

John Kalas La Mesa, CA

We were referred to Critter Control from a pest control company. They quoted "removal of the dead rat from the property". They did go to the property and spent approximately 4 5minutes and did inspect the interior bathroom with a screwdriver and administered a spray. The rat was not removed. They charged $1149.00 for this service. I spoke to the company representative twice and suggested that the rat was to be removed per the contract and $1149.00 for one hour of technician service was quite egregious. He said that it should have been removed but was not and that was the fee. I have recommended to the referring pest control company to remove the Critter Control from its vendor list and I have informed all manager within my company (CBM INC) to no longer use them as well.

Kathy T Chula Vista, CA

Overall rating: 0 I am very dissatisfied with the experience. I got quite a sales job and it sounded so convincing they would solve my problem, but I spend $1600+ for nothing. I showed them where something was digging in on my slope-either a possum or a skunk but after 5 days of "setting traps" , nothing was caught, but it ate the food. I AM DISPUTING MY BILL.

Kaylee Winter Park, FL

This is a HORRIBLE company from the bottom to the top! We are now on our second company to remove squirrels and rats from our attics after being told by Critter Control they had them all out. Now we are paying a second company to do what they neglected to do....and Critter Control refuses to refund our money!

Lily Plano, TX

I cancelled my service but have not received refund after 10 business days. There's nobody accountable in the office I can speak to, I was told billing department would call me back, but no one did. Extremely frustrated!! Should have paid attention to their online reviews and should not have yielded to their sales guy's promise.

Taylor Siren Gilbert, AZ

The exterminator from Critter Control was kind and experienced and got the job done right.

Thank you!

Scottsdale Scottsdale, AZ

Ripoff! Expensive for service rendered. $1000 for only a week of service with no guarantee. Required followup comes at additional fee.