Medical Alert

Call Now Visit Site

Medical Alert verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

Medical Alert is a brand under Connect America, a nationwide company founded by Kenneth Gross in 1974. The Company specializes in Personal Emergency Response Services (PERS). Based in Broomall, Pennsylvania. The company's system has been chosen by major retail chains such as CVS to be the main provider of medical alert services at over 7,000 store locations in 43 States.

The Good

• Cost of Services
  • No Long-term Contract
  • Monitoring
  • Battery Life

Medical Alert sells both home and mobile devices, its standout feature being a long-range transmitter. At the touch of a button, the devices connect customers with professionals at a UL accredited Medical Alert emergency monitoring center 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The company's medical alert system is a multifaceted emergency system consisting of hardware or wireless devices. Its medical alarm base unit has a powerful speakerphone located on it so that the emergency operator will be able to hear callers throughout most of the house.

Each customized Medical Alert System kit includes a base unit, a waterproof emergency button with a wrist, clip-on, and traditional pendant options. The system comes with an easy accessible waterproof button, worn as a necklace or wristband, which communicates with a two-way speaker box base unit. The base unit is easily connected through a traditional phone line (phone jack), or to a modem and Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP), which communicates directly to a certified emergency operator who monitors calls 24 hours a day. This is an advantage since many medical alert systems are not compatible with VOIP.

Cost of Services

Depending on the specific product subscription, Medical Alert charges anywhere from $27.49-$42.99 per month for round-the-clock monitoring and emergency dispatch services.

No Long-term Contract

There is no long-term contract and customers can cancel Medical Alert's services without having to have an excuse or reason for cancellation. Medical Alert's packages are setup with customers paying an initial deposit fee that equals three months of service. After the initial three months are over, the subscription is month to month and can be canceled anytime without penalty.

Monitoring

In the case of an emergency, the SIA-certified operator will dispatch the appropriate help for a customer's situation, staying on the line and talking with them until help arrives.

Battery Life

32-72 hour battery back-up. The pendant checks for low batteries every few hours.

Additional Benefits

• Braille characters for emergency, home, and clear functions
  • A clear button that lets user stop an alarm if pressed accidentally
  • Distinct alarm tone to identify an emergency situation
  • Crystal oscillator design medical alert neck pendants that are attractive, sleek, and more fashionable
  • Waterproof accessories and equipment that can be worn in the bath or shower
  • Free additional button
  • Easy to install - plugs into any home power outlet

The Bad

• Additional Fees and Financial Obligation
  • No Automatic Testing
  • Fraud Alert
  • Cancellation Caveat

The popularity of the Medical Alert brand speaks for itself. There are many pros, but there are a few points that could be classified as cons, such as the following:

Additional Fees and Financial Obligation

There is a list of additional fees that consumers need to be made aware of. Such fees occur if the unit is lost or damaged. The customer will then be charged either $150 or $350, depending on the product. Also, the customer has to pay a return fee, including shipping and handling, for the equipment upon canceling their monthly subscription. Customers are also responsible for any additional fees associated with their local emergency services (e.g. ambulance rides).

No Automatic Testing

Consumers must manually test their own alarm once a month to ensure that it is working properly. The alert system does not test itself automatically. Members have to remember to press the button to make sure it is working and connected to the call center. This is inconvenient and unpractical for an elderly customer who may have trouble remembering this task.

Fraud Alert

Since June 2013, Connect America (Medical Alert) has been targeted by an unknown company or group of people that is using the name Medical Alert in their unsolicited calls to consumers. Customers are also encouraged to contact the Attorney General to file a complaint. While Connect America has made these precautions available on their website, the company needs to take better preventative security measures to protect customer information going forward.

Cancellation Caveat

After the initial three month contract, customers can cancel anytime, with the caveat that they have to cancel with 30 days prior notice if they want to do so at no cost.

The Bottom Line

Medical Alert has a solid reputation over the 30-plus years it has been in business. Aside from the additional fees to be aware of and paying for three months up front, the company's products are top of the line with plenty of worthwhile benefits. This is definitely a brand to be given top consideration when looking for a personal emergency response system and accessories.

Call our recommended rep over at Medical Alert below.

498 Medical Alert Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

October 20th, 2017 Littleton, CO

I needed something because I kept falling all the time, so I decided to get it. I don't actually wear the thing since it's too big, but I keep it close to where I'm sitting. Right now I have trouble hearing them, so I'll have to get my daughter to put the main unit in a different spot. But customer service doesn't contact me anyways.

October 20th, 2017 Neosho Rapids, KS

I used to have it, but my daughter is taking care of me now so we got rid of it. In the time we had it I didn't really use it but customer service was always really sweet.

October 20th, 2017 Clovis, NM

I try to put it on as soon as I get up in the morning and I wear it till I go to bed at night. If I need extra safety, I wear it all night in case I have to get up and go to the bathroom. I've never used it for an emergency, but I test it every month. I like it because I can carry it with me when I travel, in case something happens. Since I travel alone very often to go to Texas, it's really convenient.

October 20th, 2017 Lehighton, PA

We haven't really had to use it yet, but the people in customer service are very nice and helpful.

October 20th, 2017 Louisville, KY

I use it all the time as long as I'm up, doesn't matter if I'm shopping or just around the house. I don't wear it to bed. Taking to customer service has always been satisfactory.

October 20th, 2017 Fargo, ND

We got it since it has the best deals. So far, in a normal day, nothing out of the ordinary happens. Customer service have been very nice and friendly.

October 20th, 2017 Downers Grove, IL

I had fallen a couple of times and I needed some more security, so I got it. I wear it around all the time, even in the bathroom. It is always the first thing that I put on in the morning. Talking to customer service is always nice.

October 20th, 2017 West Union, WV

I got it since it was inexpensive and it does exactly what I need. I just leave it around my neck all day, whether I'm taking a shower or washing dishes. It just lives with me all night and day.

October 20th, 2017 Florence, SC

I decided to get it for myself. I haven't had to use it yet, though I check on it every month. It has been good.

October 20th, 2017 Calimesa, CA

My daughter got it for me. It is comfortable to use, and I wear it everyday, even in the shower. When I fell once I just pushed the button that I wore around my neck and they came and helped me get up. They have been very courteous, kind, and helpful.

October 20th, 2017 Colorado Springs, CO

I haven't had to check in with them other than for a monthly check in. They have been very courteous and have always been very aware. I have the two devices, the neck piece and the wrist thing. I particularly like the neck piece, though it goes off when it shouldn't.

October 20th, 2017 Lake Mary, FL

I had to call for them to help me once, I was bleeding and they helped me stop it. Everything went fine, and so far the service has been good.

October 20th, 2017 Valley Park, MO

I use it all day, though I don't wear it when I shower or sleep. The thing blinks and that bothers me when I'm sleeping. My daughter has dealt with customer service and all of that.

October 20th, 2017 Belmont, CA

There have been a few glitches. I used the device and the EMT was notified very quickly. They were good, though they misunderstood some of my instructions about the notifications. Maybe I wasn't as clear as I should've been. In general they responded and came out quickly. The device breaks sometimes though.

October 20th, 2017 Osceola, WI

I got Medical Alert on the first place because I fall down from time to time. It's basically with me all the time, I put it on when I get up in the morning and wear it all day. When I go to bed at night I leave it on the side of my bed. On an occasion, my daughter's doberman knocked me down by accident. I hit the corner of the door and split my head wide open, I managed to push the button and they responded. I got help within 5 minutes, which was pretty great. I think that anyone who is handicapped or elderly should get one, it's a safety precaution that can help you if you have an accident. It probably saved my life.

October 20th, 2017 Milam, TX

We saw it advertised and decided to get it for my husband. So far he hasn't had any falls or accidents, but we have talked to customer service on several occasions. We had the lights go off for a while, and they called us since they were not getting a signal from the thing. They were concerned and wanted to make sure we were ok. They know if the device is not in good working condition and they call us to fix it. So far they've been nice and they've also helped me when I needed to get an upgrade for the device we had because it was dying. They're very good people and I'm sure that if we ever need them, we would be ok. It's amazing to know that they are there for us, and that gives me some relief. I think that anyone that needs it should get it, it's not very expensive and it gives you security.

October 20th, 2017 Forest, MS

We've been real pleased with it. I usually put it around my neck and that's it, no problem. I haven't had to use it, but customer service has been very modest. I appreciate having it, I know that I can get help if I do fall. That gives you a lot of confidence.

October 20th, 2017 Lafayette, IN

I'm 89 years old and I live by myself. I do everything on my own, from cooking, work on my yard, and everything that a person would do from day to day or week to week. That's why my daughter and her husband decided to get it for me. I haven't used it, but I punched it once by accident and it went off. The person I talked to was very nice, and I appreciated her help even though it was just a mistake. I do wish it was a little bit cheaper, since I'm on social security and it's hard to get the money, but I manage. In any case I'm glad I have it because it gives my children peace of mind, and I know that I can contact them and get help if I need it.

October 20th, 2017 Blue Springs, MO

I got it because it was convenient. I get up and its on, so I just wear it 24 hours a day. I've dropped the device before and they've responded immediately. They're courteous and take care of what I need right away.

October 20th, 2017 Fairmont, WV

I put it on in the morning and use it when I have to go out across the street to my mailbox. I haven't had to use it, but customer service has always been courteous, kind, helpful, and willing to do whatever I need.