Life Alert Emergency Response has been a pioneer of the medical alert system industry since its start in 1987. Popularized by its "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" ad campaign, the Life Alert system has become a household name; the brand is so synonymous with medical alert systems, that many know the medical alert industry simply as the Life Alert industry.

However, despite its well-known name, there are many concerns with its medical alert services. Common Life Alert complaints include scamming tactics, high prices and fees, poor customer service, and lengthy contracts (three years). We highly suggest going with a more reputable company with positive reviews.

Below we have provided you with the Good, Bad, and Bottom Line about Life Alert in order to give you a quick breakdown of the facts to help you decide of Life Alert Emergency Response is the right medical alert system for you or your loved ones.

#1 Medical Guardian chevron_right
#2 MobileHelp chevron_right
#3 One Call Alert chevron_right

The Good

• CSAA Five Diamond Certified
  • Free Shipping and Warranty
  • Large Monitoring Call Assistance
  • Transparent about Successful Services
  • Family Notifications
  • Waterproof Pendant
  • Multiple Emergency Services

CSAA Five Diamond Certified

Most medical alert companies should be CSAA five diamond certified if they're worth their salt. This certification implies the company maintains a high-quality call center service.

Free Shipping and Warranty

Life Alert offers free shipping and a free equipment warranty. However, the duration of the warranty is unclear, so you may have to pay for equipment replacement after a certain period of time.

Large Monitoring Call Assistance

Being one of the largest medical alert companies in the industry, Life Alert operates its services with its own monitoring center. A lot of medical alert companies will contract with a third party monitoring center.

Transparent about Successful Services

In 2014, Life Alert assisted authorities in saving approximately 54,490 lives. That's roughly one life saved every 10 minutes!

Family Notifications

At the push of a button, the customer's emergency contact, along with an emergency dispatch unit, will be immediately notified of the problem. This could be a family member, a friend, or a trusted neighbor.

Multiple Emergency Services

Life Alert also offers services for a host of situations aside from an occasional medical emergency. These include fire protection, carbon monoxide gas protection, home intrusion, mobile tracking through GPS, and a cell phone app. These services aren't just for seniors, either.

The Bad

• Three-Year Contract
  • Expensive Service
  • No Automatic Fall Detection
  • Few Equipment Details
  • Poor Website
  • Negative Life Alert Reviews

Three-Year Contract

With a three-year contract, Life Alert locks customers into one of the longest contracts in the industry. Top competitors offer contracts that operate from month-to-month, which provides consumers the peace of mind of not having to buy out of a contract.

Havings such a long contract in an industry that doesn't typically require them is concerning. The company's contract is also one of the most common Life Alert complaints among the majority of its customer reviews. Overall, consumers on our site are not happy with the long-term contract, and they find it difficult, and sometimes impossible, to get out of Life Alert's contract.

Expensive Service

Because Life Alert is so well established in the industry, the company does not frequently rely on or offer discounts on its products and services. Although the company lists that it offers free equipment, shipping, and a warranty on its website, Life Alert is one of the more expensive medical alert providers on the market.

Many medical alert companies have a similar offer of free equipment, free shipping, and a free warranty, but they also include no long-term contracts, free activation, and affordable monthly monitoring (as little as $19.95 per month). Life Alert, on the other hand, requires a three-year contract, charges upwards of $70 per month, and calls for a hefty activation fee of nearly $100.

Many Life Alert reviews also note that the company increases its prices without notice and relies on locking customers into a long-term contract of three years. We suggest being aware of the life alert contract before committing to its services.

No Automatic Fall Detection

Many medical alert systems in the industry today offer automatic fall detection. Automatic fall detection is a medical alert capability that will immediately notify the medical alert company's monitoring center if pendant wearers experience a fall, even if they cannot press the button themselves. It's a way to give users peace of mind that they do not have to do anything on their part if they experience a fall; the medical alert company will take care of contacting emergency responders if necessary.

Life Alert does not currently offer any products with fall detection capability. This is definitely a con of Life Alert, especially since most medical alert companies offer fall detection features.

Few Equipment Details

The website offers next to no information on equipment details or company policies. In comparison to other companies that offer transparent details on multiple medical alert devices, this is concerning.

According to the company's website, a Life Alert medical alert device does include the typical base station and an alert button that can be worn as a pendant or a wristband, a backup battery life of 72 hours, and US-based monitoring services.

There is no information on other medical alert service features such as two-way communication, automatic fall detection, and built-in GPS tracking.

Most medical alert companies are transparent about their equipment and offerings online, so it is worrying that Life Alert is selective about what little information it does share on its website.

Poor Website

The Life Alert website appears as though it hasn't been redesigned in many years. It seems outdated and difficult to navigate, especially since there is no live chat available.

Life Alert provides limited details on its website regarding its specific offerings, and the company requests that you call in for a brochure to receive pricing and other information. Many people in Life Alert's customer reviews note that after calling to receive a brochure, they received endless follow-up calls even after expressing their disinterest in the company.

Negative Life Alert Reviews

The majority of Life Alert reviews are overwhelmingly negative, many of them noting that the company locks you into a long-term contract (36-month contract) and then makes it extremely difficult (or refuses completely) to allow customers to cancel its medical alert services. Many customers also mention scamming tactics, including upping the prices without notice, having faulty equipment, and neglecting customer service quality.

One customer addresses Life Alert as a scam: "It is a scam. Once you sign up [Life alert] uses every tactic to frustrate your ability to end the service...They get you to sign up for one amount and then jack up your monthly fee unilaterally."

Another frustrated consumer says something similar: "[Life Alert] locks you into a contract and makes it nearly impossible to cancel...This is just a scam to try to ring as much money as possible out of elderly people on a fixed income."

With such negative feedback, we highly suggest going with an alternative medical alert provider with positive reviews and a trustworthy reputation.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

The Bottom Line

Life Alert Emergency Response is not the best system on the market. While Life Alert as a company has many positives such as the coveted CSAA five diamond certification, its high installation fee ($95-$295), hefty long-term contracts (three years), and average system features should encourage potential buyers to explore Life Alert alternatives. Read Life Alert reviews below to see what customers have to say about the Life Alert's medical alert systems and customer service. Unfortunately, the majority of Life Alert reviews are negative, and we suggest going with a more reputable medical alert company.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

1.5

Eric

November 26th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We use Life Alert for my older mother who has some medical issues. Thank goodness she has not yet fallen and had to use it but she is seizure prone so she always wears it just in case. It certainly lifts a weight off of my shoulders to know that she can push that button if something happens and help will be on the way immediately. Thank you Life Alert for peace of mind. Life Alerts customer service was great when setting up my mothers system.

Pamela Pucher

November 6th, 2018 Skokie, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am the POA for a senior citizen that was signed up for Life Alert by her caregivers who had no legal right to do so. About 18 months after starting Life Alert the senior citizen enter a residential facility. I was made POA during this time and tried to cancel the Life Alert contract to no avail. They would not accept the contract from the facility rather telling me I had to have the facility provide a written letter stating that the resident was under 24 hour care. Many months went by and all the while the monthly payments are coming out of her bank account. Finally when I contact them again several months later to cancel, after the 36 month contract, I am still told that I need a letter from the facility stating that she is staying there long term. I explained the house was sold, the phone number that they are using to monitor her has been disconnected so how can they even be monitoring her and since she has already been in the same facility now for 21 months I would say that constitutes a long term commitment. Still they want a letter before they will cancel. As far as I know, the monitors are prescribed by a doctor, they provide a service that an individual, or in this case an unauthorized individual signed up and agreed to pay for 36 months. If an authorized person asks them to stop the service why don't they do it without making everyone jump thru hoops. There policy is absolutely ridiculous!!! I still wonder why they didn't contact the person on the contract when they realized that there was no connection between the monitoring system and the phone number that had been disconnected. All of her mail was forwarded to me and not once did I get a letter questioning the connection.

Evelia Rosso

November 4th, 2018 Gilroy, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I fell for the advertisements of Life Alert and mistakenly signed a three year agreement! Big mistake... Slot happens in three years. I want to cancel after a year and I am not allowed because of the contract. We have not used the devices for three months and I amn paying $90. a month for the next 6 months even though I am cancelling! What a rip off!! Do your homework who’re signing! Evelia Rosso Ca

Paula

October 23rd, 2018 Granville, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

A total rip off company!! Tried to cancel and got nothing but harassment from them. They threatened to sue--for what? Not needing the service anymore? DON'T EVER USE THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU ENJOY HARASSMENT, RED TAPE, AND LIFETIME AND BEYOND CONTRACTS.

Mike

October 23rd, 2018 Delaware, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My parents got life alert in 2007. They moved into assisted living in june 2018 and did not need it as their new living quarters supplied a system as part of the rent. Called them to cancel and they said they needed a letter from the assisted living place. Faxed it to them and they continued to bill them. Called back and they said they never got the letter. Funny that the fax report said it wad sucessful. Faxed it a second time. Billed them again for a second month after disconnected service. Called them again and they said they did not get the second one either!! Put a stop payment on the auto billed card. Two months later they started harassing my dad who is in hospice . Then they called me. They, (The famed retention department)claimed there was a contract and he could not cancel it. Let me see, a three year contract turned into twelve years? Really? So they had me call their tech support to disable the 12 year old equipment. He had me destroy the land line phone jack and was instructed to recycle the unit. They did not want it back. He asked about a mobile device Dad never had such a device. The tech support guy then said their was no balance due and it was cancelled. Five hours later , I got a call from their billing department stating there was a balance of $52 and dad owed them $95 for this supposed mobile device. Dad has spent over $4500 in the last 12 years and used it maybe 6 times. Do the math, $750 per call! It is a total nightmare to cancel the service. Do not use this company. I have never experienced anything like this. Not paying them another dime. Guess they will have to sue the estate, which is zero. Unbelieveable! Beware.

Jackson

October 9th, 2018 Melbourne, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The worst! The contract said they would GPS CLIENTS ANYWHERE... SHOWING PEOPLE GOLFING,. WALKING.... ANYWHERE. When they reported my alert went off...they didn't do a GPS location and sent the FIRE DEPARTMENT...WHO BROKE DOWN MY DOOR...WHEN I WAS NOT HOME AND LEFT ME WITH 1,777.83 BILL TO REPLACE THE DOOR. THEY REFUSED TO PAY ANYTHING AND CONTINUE TO BILL ME...EVEN THOUGH THE DEVICE WAS SHUT OFF AND RETURN TO COMPANY.

Beverly

September 23rd, 2018 Cranston, RI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Life Alert is awful. My parents are in their 90s so we got the service for them. When they were unable to live alone, we had and have a 24 hour a day companion. Life Alert refused to cancel the contract. I disconnected the system and changed their credit card. I spoke directly with customer service who accused me of no caring about my parents! Customer service was extremely RUDE!!! Life Alert then contacted my children who are in their 30s to tell them that I was being unreasonable and could they just deal with the grandchildren?! My daughter then pointed out to the rep that I am a lawyer, etc. That's when Life Alert called me to tell me that I was a terrible lawyer and that I didn't know how to read a contract. Contract 101 - contracts are made to bind and are made to be broken. Notification was given to Life Alert per their contract. They continue to send a bill every month for $99 which goes into the circular file. Given all the complaints, I might consider passing this all on to a class action firm!!! Anyone else in??

Kimmy

September 11th, 2018 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I called to inquire about this service for my dad. I decided to go with another company The problem is that they keep calling me. They are pushy and rude and unprofessional. They call w to 3 times a day and ask for different people each time. When I tell them I'm not interested or that they have the wrong number, they hang up on me. I can't believe they are in the service industry when they treat me like that. After requesting to be put on their do not call list numerous times, I finally had to block their number. Even if I am not satisfied with the company I chose, I would never try this one based on the sales reps behavior.

Dan Storey

August 21st, 2018 Pittsburgh, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I could leave less than one star I would. It is less about the service and more about the hoops that they make you jump through when you need to cancel. I was the account holder and paid for the service for my mother for the past 6 years. My mother's living arrangements changed and she had no need for the service anymore. After 4 phone calls and 2+ hours on the phone, they finally sent me to a tech that had me disable the unit. When I asked to be transferred back to a retention supervisor, he just transferred me to the retention department (again) and would not let me express my displeasure with the runaround and kept citing "the contract". Contract was concluded 3 years ago and it should not be this hard. On top of this, they kept offering to reduce the price if I would stay even though I told them that it was not needed. Do not sign a contract and find the next best option for your needs as you will regret doing business with them.

Kathleen

August 13th, 2018 Dacula, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My mother had life alert for 8 years at 89.00 a month. She used it three times. We now have 24 hour care and I have been unable to cancel it for 6 months and finally two months ago had it cancelled. Or so I thought! They have continued billing us. I am back in the loop trying to resolve the overpaid amount and AGAIN try to cancel and have them stop billing us!!!!!

DUFFY DEITZ

August 11th, 2018 Philadelphia, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I could give them -10 stars, I would. This is the worst choice out there. Do NOT, I repeat do NOT go with them!!!!! I had brain surgery and a seizure 3 years ago and couldn't drive. My doctor told me I had to get an alert system if I wanted to go out alone. The only one he knew of and recommended was the "I've fallen and I can't get up" company. He even gave me a brochure about them. I should have done some research before calling and getting roped into an unbreakable contract. Aside from their 3-year, $70/month, $2,520 total commitment, Life Alert also charges for installation, even if you can do it yourself. At the end of the 3-year contract term, when I called to verify that I was done paying, I found out that I also had to cancel my contract so it wouldn't automatically renew. They don't bother to point that out in the beginning. Their customer service department blows! My experience couldn't have been worse. They're departments are in no way connected, so I couldn't give my change of address to the customer service idiot I had to deal with - it's a separate department!!! There's a whole laundry list of complaints that I could enumerate here, but suffice it to say that just because they spend a lot on marketing and advertising, Life Alert SUCKS!!!

Mena

July 22nd, 2018 Ft. Washington, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Look at the rating and considered yourself warned! 1) Vague information given about pricing. 2) They will take your credit card info and send you a device PLUS a three year contract 3) The contract was for 3 years and the only way to get out of contract is if your loved one dies or goes into a nursing home; even then it is hard to cancel 4) Contract will have state that giving them your credit card info means you agree for Life Alert to bill you monthly for 3 years even though you did not agree to it. 5) I immediately cancelled my credit card and returned device at my own expense and wrote on the contract " I do not agree to terms" 6) Please for the love of God, find another company. There are several that allow you to pay monthly and cancel at anytime. 7) Several people have had their credit ruined because they could not keep up with the 3 year terms and tried to cancel. 8) The device is also very ancient. It looks like a device from the 80's 9) Please do not get screwed find a different company that is month to month 5

Patti Loverink

June 25th, 2018 Chandler, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When my mom fell and broke her leg, a Life Alert rep did not pick up the phone for about 1 min. and 38 sec. They will say that they have amazing response time, but to me, that was too long for someone on the floor with a broken leg, especially given the price of their service. She was in the hospital for 2 months, ended up going into cardiac arrest and then on life support, and two months later went to a rehab facility. Life Alert would only suspend her service for 2 months, even though she literally still can't stand! What a horrible company! I can't wait until this service expires because we will find another option moving forward. BEWARE of their contract terms! This company lacks compassion in situations like this. Crappy customer service!

cyndi

June 7th, 2018 Mechanicsville, VA

Cannot believe such a well known company has gotten away with being so dishonest for so long. I wish I had read these review before having my mother call. They took advantage of her. She said she would think about it after finding out it would be 200.00 for set up and 90/month, They tricked her by saying they would wait until she decided but to go ahead and give them her card number. She refused the package but was billed. She called and they told her the charge was legit because she had used their service? The man brought her to tears because she is disabled and lives on a fixed income. SheShe is now going through her bank in hopes that they will dispute on her behalf. It never crossed my mind that they would take advantage since they are supposed to be around to HELP elderly people not take advantage. I am outraged that they treat people this way.

Jennifer Anderson

May 15th, 2018 Orlando, FL

I purchased this service for my 96 year old grandmother. Set uo was cumbersome and the tech support line was not helpful. They continued us in a run around loop between the cable and phone companies. Finally we got the box set up. It continued to go off any time she traveled. We called and double checked multiple times that we had service that allowed her to travel, we did. However, the whole contact list was contacted every 2am for each night she was out of town. Very frusting. She did call at one point and the paramedics were dispatched to the house. For that I am extremely thankful.

Claudia L Lantis

May 4th, 2018 Aurora, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Lock you into a three year contract and when it is up you have to provide reasons why you're cancelling. They do not respond on telephone to help. Put on hold over and over and then disconnected. I got fed up and pushed the alarm system and then I got to speak to customer service. If they won't respond in customer service press the alarm. When testing the alarm system which I did once in three years, they were very slow to respond. "We will be right with you, we will be right with you----------------------

ann

May 3rd, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They provide decent service BUT when my mom went to an assisted living home followed by a nursing home they REFUSED to cancel the service without proof that she was deceased or in the nursing home. They consider once one signs up that it is a LIFETIME contract that can only be cancelled with absolute proof that the service is not needed.

marilyn brandi

April 6th, 2018 Laguna Hills, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I called to cancel my service when the "contract"I never knew I had was up and got transferred 3 times and finally reached the proper person.This woman was so nasty I could hardly believe it.She actually yelled at me when I said I never received neither smoke detector nor a carbon monoxide detector which I did not and don't have.She informed me I would be charged 95$ each if I did not return them which I cannot so I expect a hassle over that.I did return their equipment though.I even took the precaution of canceling my credit card so they cannot charge me anymore. I wish I had checked the reviews prior to ordering their service. I most definitely do not recommend Life Alert.

Sharon Sullins

April 5th, 2018 Gatesville, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My Aunt needed to cancel Life Alert because she went into the 24 hour nursing facility. As her closest relative, I began dealing with Life Alert on her behalf. From the beginning, they were unfriendly and unhelpful. I had to call several times to get the information I needed. I have read recent reviews of others having the same issues. Please don't ever use this company.

barbara giugliano

March 18th, 2018 Franklin Square, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

they over charged my mother in law (89) by about $30 a month...they sent her smoke defector and some other stuff that was never installed in in the box and charging her...going to complain to BBB and consumer affairs ...plus very rude representatives

Wolf

March 11th, 2018 Boynton Beach, FL

Rating for this company is negative 10!!!!!! While helping my neighbor with researching health alert companies, we called Life Alert after reading an aid in AARP magazine. We asked for a brochure however was transfer to a salesman named Roger V in Miami. He has hard core sales my neighbor's aide and my neighbor who is hard of hearing. He continues to call and harass her about signing up. I walked in her house today only to hear her on the phone with Roger V. who was asking for her credit card information. Thank goodness she could not locate her credit card. Roger V. was once again told we would call him if she wanted the system and to stop calling. He continued to call through the day. It got to the point that my neighbor no longer would answer the phone. Now that is elderly abuse and fraud. This company needs to be stopped with their sales tactics. Someone in the company needs to be sued and maybe they will wake up.

carla

March 7th, 2018 Watertown, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Life Alert is purposely difficult to cancel. I'm in rural NYS but the department that cancels contracts is in California. I left a message several times. No return call, but the last time I called and actually connected with someone I spent a lot of time trying to tell them that no, I will not continue to pay them $49.99 for something that is offered less expensively locally. Have a local company provide this service that better understands your area's emergency providers and logistics. For example, a local security company provides the same service here for $29.99 and if you income qualify (we do) then it is free through the Office for the Aging. I still haven't been able to cancel this because I need to be on site to de-program the device. I don't think it's even plugged in, truthfully, as my mother was irritated with the NYC people I had her speak with to originally set it up. I'm not giving those strangers my personal information, she said. Believe me, if you are an adult who recently lost a parent and is dealing with being insanely and irrationally worried about the remaining parent alone in their home-- you, like me, are easy pickings. Take the time to do your research. This is 3 years (36 month contracts) of nothing I just paid for and I still can't easily get out of the contract. Also, Mom never wore the cheapo necklace or wanted to call them even though we had a few events because she was not absolutely sure that they wouldn't unnecessarily send emergency services to her door. AARP has an excellent nurse 800 line, don't waste your time calling Life Alert for advice. Anyway, I've been hassled so much about canceling this. Please don't make the same mistake I did. Go local with this service and check your options. I know Life Alert didn't begin as a scam, but they sure do act like it now. This company had better diversify if they can't compete with lower cost services.

Nancy Presnall

March 5th, 2018 Enid, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have been charging me $89.90/month for 3 years. The smoke alarms use odd-shaped batteries that I cannot find anywhere. The voice system is loud, shrill, and annoying. The smoke alarms went off for no reason. The company called when the alarm did not go off, saying that the alarm went off. They never could even get my name right. I would not recommend at all.

Mary

March 2nd, 2018 Matthews, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Life Alert is the worst. They bullied and pressured my 85 yr old mother into a premium package. It has taken a week and 6 or more phone calls to attempt to cancel the program. In calling you get shuffled around to departments and spend long periods of time on hold only to be cut off. They still sent the unit even after we were assured of a cancellation. A full three year contract is required and you must pay for the equipment. Life Alert is the worst!!!

Bryna Kneapler

February 26th, 2018 Miami, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Please do not let your elderly relative sign up with this company. It is a 3 year contract and, obviously, circumstances change for very elderly people and they usually are not aware that they are signing up for such a long time. My 100 year old mother now has 24 hour care, no longer has a telephone where she can be reached and therefore, has no device to attach her life alert modem. Even after the 3 years, they keep automatically renewing unless you notify them exactly at the termination date. Of course, she didn't even recall that she had Life Alert and I wouldn't have known either until I checked her credit card bill. I am surprised that they are allowed to enter into a contract with such a person. They are very uncooperative and abrupt when you tell them you wish to cancel, even if you are willing tocancel at the end of the contract period. They won't even let me return the modem until then.

Dean Thayer

February 26th, 2018 Southfield, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When doing research when my father died, I called and talked to a gentleman about service. I accidentally gave my mother's phone number, I told him me and my wife would discuss and get back in two weeks. A week later my mother called to tell me she set up a account for herself, I asked why and she a guy called and said I wanted my mom on this rite away. So in short my mom has the service now it's ok. But they are real jerks when confronted

Catherine Marino

February 7th, 2018 West Sayville, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Although Life Alert made pretty good time in the one instance in which one of my mother's grandchildren pushed the button while playing (she has since moved it to a place they cannot reach), I'm very disappointed in their cancellation policy. They say I signed a 3 year contract but I did not. My mother might have, she doesn't remember, but she's not the one who set it all up and paid for it. When I arranged it for her (by the way, I don't know where those figures come from but I pay close to $80 a month) she was going to be alone as my sister and nephew who is 25 were moving out because my sister was getting married and both were moving out. Fast forward to 13 months later: my sister has already separated from her husband and she and my nephew are moving back in with her. One works days and one works nights so she always has someone at home with her. She also goes, by herself to bingo and an arcade 3 nights a week. In addition, she goes grocery shopping, to get her nails done and to get her hair done unaccompanied. So as long as things remain this way, she no longer needs the life alert. Not that she ever was disabled, but it gave me piece of mind knowing that she had some kind of protection since I live 17,00 miles away. When I called Life Alert and asked to cancel her service, they told me they will do no such thing unless I get proof that she has a nurse there 24 hours a day. she NEVER had anyone assist her in her own home ever. Suddenly these life alert people are concerned with my mother's well being. This is B*****t. They want to make their $80 a month for two more years. I offered to have my mother write up something that says she doesn't need this service and have it notarized but that is unacceptable. Her doctor is NOT going to sign something saying she has 24 hour medical care. He's not going to put his practice on the line, as I would expect. So I am bound to this payment for the next 2 years.

Mimi

January 15th, 2018 Grand Junction, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I contacted Life Alert for our 92 year old next door neighbor because she fell and could not get to the phone for 4 hours and we had no idea. We are in our 40’s so we could help. I called for a brochure and this telemarketer named Eddie has been calling over and over even when I asked him to stop. Today when I hung up on him he called back and threatened me saying he knew “where I lived and everything about me”. When I called Life Alert to complain they were not nice, kept putting me on hold and finally after 5 calls I got a manager who told me they tell their people that even if someone says no to keep calling till they sign up!

Barbara Corker

December 18th, 2017 North Highlands, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

69.90 monthly with pendant for 3 years. I complained of pricing and a year later they dropped it to 59.90. My problem is especially troubling because they can't hear me from my bathroom or bedroom as they did when it was installed...I've used it at least 3 times and was taken to the hospital and admitted but the one time I thought I was having a stroke they didn't answer after a few minutes and I called my neighbor ( an RN ) She came over and tried but ended up calling 911 where I was taken to the hospital.. I complained and they said they were " very sorry it happened and I needed to reboot my base"..I will change after my times up Can't now because of an iron clad contract !

Frances Strahm

November 15th, 2017 Holtville, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I enrolled my 91 year old mother in Life Alert with the understanding that if she moved to a facility or in with me or passed away the enrollment and billing would stop. Sadly she died on October 2 and I notified the company right away and provided a death certificate as soon as I was able to get one. They billed me anyway on October 3 for an entire month! When I called to inquire they said the account was closed and they would not refund the $90.00. They were uncaring and greedy at a time of great sadness and loss. I would never recommend this company to anyone! Frances Strahm

Rachael Bagley

September 18th, 2017 Mission, TX

I called for information. A fast talking salesman had me committed to a 3 yr. contract before I knew it. Was unable to cancel. Would not recommend it.

Elaine

September 15th, 2017

Beware of life alerts lack of customer service and billing after you get into a contract. Poor website. No chat online. Taking advantage of older folks.

Mike McDavitt

August 23rd, 2017 Sanford, ME

My elderly father called when my Mom had fallen. They asked a million questions. My father had to hang up and dial 911 himself. Now my Mom has passed and he has no use for the system. We want to buy out the contract but try to get a straight answer. My Dad spoke to them yesterday and they said 1/2 price $35 a month. Today I was quoted both $49 and $59. they want a pay off figure of $1618.55. Another rep said we could have the trial period pricing for the rest of the contract and they would want $719.40 to buy out the contract. These people prey on the elderly. I have never seen my Father so angry and upset in 89 years. We are going to a lawyer tomorrow. Rather give the money to a lawyer than these scam artists.

Arlene Simmonds

August 21st, 2017 Perris, CA

I am so frustrated. I need to cancel my contract but the buyout cost is over $1,000 which I can't do. I don't remember them telling me that this was a 3 year contract since I am elderly and would never sign a contract for 3 years. I want out but I have to provide them with either the money or a letter from a residential location where I may move in several months. This service is awful.

Victoria Culver

August 15th, 2017 Somis, CA

I have been trying to cancel this service for my mom, who has dementia, for 3 months. It is a total run around. They transferred me to 3 different places. The agents are trained to make it as difficult as possible. One agent told me he could not send me to the Tech department to explain how to "de-activate" the unit, because I did not have it with me (my mom unplugged it many months ago) and this was after he told me that it was not necessary for it to be connected or plugged in for the process. Wow! It must be a magic trick or something to de-activate it! Now they are sending me Past Due notices because I put a stop through the bank on the automatic payment. Life Alert should be ashamed!!

John Pews

August 9th, 2017

Gave them my moms address to send brochure and they somehow got her phone # and started calling and harassing her. Called two different numbers to put her on do not call list and they both hung up on me. They lost me as a customer. Glad I read these reviews, these people do not care!

linda

August 5th, 2017 Marshville, NC

Six years of poor customer service Impossible to cancel. Still trying to get out of contract seemingly reknews itself without my permission. Stuck.

Mary C. Oliver

July 19th, 2017

Worst experience in my 77 years. High pressure. Take advantage of the elderly. Dishonest. Customer Service is horrible. Downright rude. Scam artists. This company is in business of ripping off clients. They lie!!

David Dickman

July 17th, 2017 Houston, TX

Company representatives lie to get your contract. State that if you wand to cancel, all you need is a doctor's letter stating that service is no longer need. I had service for 1.8 years, then need it no longer and they refuse to cancel my contract, even though I have a doctor's letter. RIP OFF!! THEY LIE!!

Jodi Kirk

June 27th, 2017

My grandmother had fallen and was unconscious for TWO hours and obviously was then not able to push her button. I went to check on her and found her. Therefore she looked elsewhere for a system with fall detection. She found a system and called to cancelled life alert, however was notified she was in a three year contract, something she was unaware of. She had asked in the beginning if there was a contract and was told no by Alicia. When on the phone with contract rep JR he insisted over and over she signed a contract and was spoke in the rudest wayI have ever heard an individual speak to someone, especially a kind older woman such as my grandmother. He kept telling her they had the best service and she signed a contract so she basically could not do anything. He was condescending and spoke as though she was stupid for trying to get another system that would actually help her needs. I have never personally been so upset with a customer service call and hope no one has to go through what my sweet grandma is going through. All she wants is to be safe and life alert is actually keeping her from getting the help she needs.

John R Young

June 13th, 2017 Lovington, NM

I did not review anything about this company before I got it.Had to use it when I fell in the bathroom on the Base.Did not get anything but put on hold.They contacted my daughter not my wife,said daughter was only name on emergency contact.They thought I was home and had fallen in my bathroom not 40 miles away.Called them next day and told them to come get thei stuff and cancel my service.They said I couldn't,had 3 year contract.Am thinking of getting a lawyer and fighting it.Had Medical alert but it could not pick up 911 from my home,they tried everything to please me but nthing they had for a carry unit would work.Am telling everyone that I can how bad life alert is.

Rita Kleinman

May 27th, 2017 West Mifflin, PA

Have used for several years, husband and I. Excellent customer service. Would like to see auto fall detection capability. Otherwise very pleased.

Margery

May 18th, 2017

I called to ask for a brochure but instead I got a saleswoman who called and called and called again. They actually sent a man to install their unit before I had signed up for anything. It got so I actually hung up on the salesperson after the 4th day of her calling. She then called me back screaming into the phone about my hanging up. That did it. I signed up with Bay Medical and have never regretted it.

Irvin

May 8th, 2017

My father is 90 years old. Has had service for approximately 10 years. He is now in a nursing home. I tried to cancel services, they would not cancel because I am not near the Life Alert Unit. I live over 90 miles away from fathers old home. I cannot miss another day of work to drive over there during their hours to get a number off an old machine and call you. Turn it off, stop changing an old man for something that he is not using. I can mail it back to you if you want when I can get it. Really !!! Stop Scamming old people.

Barbara Spangler

May 7th, 2017

My mother has had Life Alert for 5 years. She is now 88 years old and has problems with balance. Because she has had both knees and both hips replaced, when she falls she is unable to get back up without assistance. I live an hour away. Life Alert has responded beautifully each time she has "fallen and can't get up". She highly recommends Life Alert to all of her friends and says it is a life saver. Life Alert means she can maintain her independence. It gives me (and my two siblings that live across the country) such peace of mind.

Sally Moore

May 3rd, 2017

I was hoodwinked into committing to this. It interfered with my phone line. When I tried to cancel, they said I would be breaching the contract. I canceled the credit card it was billed to, so then they started sending me a bill . I refused to pay it, and I started getting phone calls and threatening letters. I ignored them. This went on for about 8 months and they finally gave up.

Jennifer Roussin

April 29th, 2017

First of all, this company is VERY aggressive. They call over and over and over, me, and my mom, to go over the same information repeatedly. The big red flag was after I very carefully gave them credit card information, they called several days later to verify the credit card information. ?????? The salespeople were very smooth, very nice and friendly, but once you call to cancel the service, they are extremely rude, and literally yell at you and don't let you ask or explain anything!!!! I couldn't believe it. DO NOT use Life Alert. They didn't let my mother know in advance of the delivery day, and since she wasn't there they expected her to pick it up at the post office, even though she can't get out. they started installing equipment even before she got a chance to look at the contract. They bring the contract with the equipment, and install part of the equipment, then expect you to read the contract. See how aggressive and manipulative this is. I'm glad my mother is business savvy and refused to go along with a 3 year contract with these clowns.

Patty Rathway

April 22nd, 2017

I ordered this for a "peace of mind" for when I was at work for my 87 (85 at the time) year old mother diagnosed with dementia. I went online being that I didn't want the phone ringing and bothering my mom who no longer knew how to answer it. Within a couple minutes, my phone was ringing !! All I wanted was information sent. I believe it was the next day a salesperson...(Kathy B) also called. As she did her sales pitch and I was going to order it, she said that will be like $3.16 or some odd cents a day. I said wait a minute---u r saying it's going to be around a hundred bucks a month......that was with the fire and carbon monoxide detector....she didn't mention that in her speech. She did ask if my mom would understand the unit being I would be locked in to a 3 year contract. My response was how do I know until I get it and try. DUH!!!! Well...we received it and there was no way my mom could understand it. She called her wrist unit her "decoration". Well, for the past few months, it has been sitting by the tv on top of the monitor collecting dust..unable to be cancelled for what I think is at least another year. And yes, very timely to get a response by the time they ask their million questions. She is now on Hopsice with 24/7 caregivers....very disappointed with this system.

Julie McKnight

April 11th, 2017

This is a horrible company that has no customer service skills. My mother was 89 when she signed up for Life Alert, with automatic withdrawals for the monthly payments and they had her commit to a two year contract without knowing it. She moved into a retirement home about 3 months after, who had their own system in place. I called Life Alert to cancel service for her and they wouldn't cancel due to the fact she was committed to two years. I had mentioned she was 89 years old, she told me she had no idea there was a commitment involved and they basically said oh well, we will continue to charge you for two years and call back after that to cancel. So, my mother has been paying $50 per month for the entire time, even though it hasn't been connected or used for the last 2 years. I called today to cancel and they said they couldn't until it has been disconnected. I said it has been disconnected for 2 years and I would like them to stop charging my mother the $50 per month premium. They said it has to be de-activated. I said it has been, it hasn't been activated for over 2 years. They said we need to wipe the memory from it first, I said can you tell me how to do that, they said you have to have it in front of you and then we will tell you how to do that. I said I don't live with her so I can't get my hands on the unit right now but when I am over there I will get it (she lives about 40 minutes away from me). I said I would still like you to stop charging her and they said they couldn't until the memory was cleared and then I need to send it back to them or it would be a $300 charge. For goodness sake, she is now 92 and they are insistent they keep charging her even though the thing hasn't even been plugged in, nor do they need to monitor it or have the service. They even had her old phone number! I have never had it so difficult to cancel a service. She is freeking 92. Can you make it any more difficult?!!! $50 per month is a lot for a 92 year old on a fixed income. I am so frustrated with this company, who has no desire to discontinue the service.

Judy

April 5th, 2017 Sylva, NC

They turned my smoke detector off and I had a small fire at my house. If I hadn't been awake and able to put the fire out my animals and I would have burned alive. They said the smoke detector was too sensitive, but would not replace it. I don't trust them to detect CO2 or to get help if I fall or become ill.