Best Company Guarantee AT&T Internet Logo

AT&T Internet

7.0

LAST UPDATED: August 6th, 2022

AT&T has been providing telecommunications services to people across the United States for more than 30 years. You may have have experience with AT&T as a company dedicated to powering your mobile phone, but they're also a popular TV and internet service provider.

You can bundle phone, TV, and internet plans through AT&T, so if you're in the market for all three, this company may be your go-to ISP. AT&T offers its customers one of the world's largest wireless networks, and it's known for being reliable and strong. The company's large customer base benefits from this wide range of services at reasonable prices that will fit in any budget.

But like all ISPs, AT&T has its limitations: AT&T internet is available in 21 states and offers speed up to 1 Gig. Still impressed? So are we.

View Customer AT&T Internet Reviews

The Good

• Affordable Prices
  • High Speeds
  • Rural Availability
  • Generous Data Cap
  • Equipment
  • Bundling Options

Affordable Prices

AT&T Internet is a popular choice because they have a variety of packages. These plans prices are based on a one-year commitment:

• Internet Basic 5 (DSL Plan) — $30 per month
  • Internet 10-100 (DSL Plan) — $40 per month
  • Internet 100 (Fiber Optic) — $40 per month
  • Internet 300 (Fiber Optic) — $40 per month
  • Internet 1,000 (Fiber Optic) — $60 per month

The following disclaimers apply to each of these packages:

Plus taxes. 12 mo. agmt, other qualifying service & combined billing req'd. Incl 1 TB data/mo. $10 chrg for each add'l 50 GB (up to $100/mo). Limited availability in select areas. May not be available in your area. Visit AT&T to check service availability. Actual customer speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Download speeds are typically up to 940 Mbps due to overhead capacity reserved to deliver the data. Speeds may also vary based on factors including site traffic, content provider server capacity, internal network management factors, and end user device capabilities. For more information, go to www.att.com/speed101

AT&T offers these high speed internet plans through fiber and DSL internet. Internet Basic 5 and 10-100 are DSL; Internet 100, 300, and 1,000 are offered through fiber. Not every service provider can offer the consistent download and upload speeds of fiber-optic internet, so this option could be worth looking into if it's available in your area. And it's also worth noting that Internet 1,000 has an unlimited data allowance.

The price for an AT&T internet package is even more impressive when the customer compares the prices to some of the competing broadband providers. Top-tier internet plans from some other companies can cost significantly more than the cost of AT&T's fiber plans.

High Speeds

If you're like any other customer, you're looking for more bang for your buck. AT&T's competitive speeds for broadband and fiber could impress you, especially given their modest price tag. These packages provide different levels of high-speed internet connection:

• Basic 5 — Up to 5 Mbps
  • Internet 10–100 — Up to 100 Mbps
  • Internet 300 — Up to 300 Mbps
  • Internet 1,000 — Up to 1,000 Mbps

These are fast download speeds. Customers should understand that these are the maximum possible download speeds, and you could experience slightly lower speeds depending on external factors, like traffic and computer software.

The Internet 10–100 plan is an average broadband speed that will be more than adequate for some customers; however, it may not be available in some areas.

Rural Availability

If the plans above aren't available in your region, you might still have some options with AT&T.

For customers in rural areas, AT&T may be able to provide better data speeds than many competitors through its Fixed Wireless Internet, which uses an outdoor antenna paired with an indoor router to deliver 25 Mbps speeds for $40 per month. And if you want to bump it up to $89.99 a month, you can bundle DirecTV.

Generous Data Cap

One advantage of choosing AT&T as an internet service provider is its generous data cap. With many of its internet plans, AT&T offers a data cap of 1 TB per month. AT&T also offers an unlimited data plan for $90 per month. This is a lot of data, so most customers won’t have to worry about going over the cap.

Equipment

Customers who sign up with AT&T can receive a modem that also acts as a router, providing Wi-Fi service for their devices. If you don't have your own equipment, this is ideal.

However, you'll pay a $35 activation fee if they perform self-guided setup. For technician service, the installation and activation fee is $99.

Bundling Options

You can bundle your internet with U-Verse TV to save on both. Internet providers typically offer cable TV as well, so this isn't an uncommon feature.

The cheapest package, U-Family TV + AT&T Internet, is $89.99 per month. The internet and TV bundles have an unlimited data allowance, which could be a perk for those who were on the fence about adding TV service to their bundle.

The Bad

• Limited Availability
  • Data Surcharges
  • Contract Required
  • Customer Service Complaints

Limited Availability

AT&T does not offer internet service in every state. There are 21 states across the country that have AT&T internet service networks. They are:

• Alabama
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Wisconsin

If you do not live in one of these states, AT&T is not an option for you.

Data Surcharges

While AT&T offers a generous data cap for most plans, there is an additional charge of $10 per 50 GB of data used past the data cap. This additional charge can be as much as $100 per month. If you choose AT&T, be cautious of how much data you are using, because you may end up with a higher internet bill than you planned for.

Contract Required

If you choose AT&T Internet, you'll have to sign a one-year contract. This might discourage you, because ending a contract early can sometimes result in termination fees which can add up. This will limit your ability to change service options if the need arises.

Customer Service Complaints

Some negative reviewers note that customer service has them feeling like they're being passed between representatives without any solution for an issue. This is a common complaint about many ISPs.

However, not every review expresses this sentiment, and many others praise the patience and knowledge of AT&T representatives.

The Bottom Line

You can see some clear advantages to using AT&T Internet from our review. AT&T gives most of their customers four different internet plans to choose from. These high-speed access products offer fast internet speeds and a variety of features. AT&T's Internet 1,000 plan isn't the fastest on the market, but if you have 1 TB in data allowance, this should be plenty for any family.

But keep in mind that part of AT&T Internet's terms and conditions there is a one-year contract. This contract can be inconvenient and result in an early termination fee if you need to move or want to change providers. Additionally, the customer will have to pay an extra fee for any overages.

AT&T is a great internet service provider to choose if you are looking for quality internet access and are already utilizing other services from this company.

Call our recommended rep over at AT&T Internet below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

3.4

Jolee Franklin, LA

AT&t has given me excellent service. The only thing I can compare this to is Cox internet. When I was with Cox internet I had problems every week. The internet would not work with Cox. Since I have been with AT&t I have had no problems at all. I can log into my AT&T account and check my internet speed and also reset my computer and my network if I need to. Whenever I did have to call AT&t which was very seldom I always received excellent help. I was with Cox for I believe like 45 years. I stayed with Cox because I heard AT&t was not that good but that is so wrong. I will never go back to Cox internet AT&t has me for life.

T Timgillis58 Raleigh, NC

I have broadband internet service with AT&T, and I have to say that I'm extremely pleased with it. The advertised speeds are "at least" 25 MB/second download, and they more than meet that. My normal average speed is 30 to 34 MB/second, and my uptime since last November is 100%. The only time I haven't had service is during a power outage, for obvious reasons. I did a self-install, and AT&T shipped the gateway modem to my door and included all instructions for setup. They also sent a customer representative to my residence to assist with the setup, at no cost to me. Since there was a problem with the wiring in my condo, a service technician came out and completed the wiring setup, again at no cost to me. Once that was done the gateway connected and I was on my way. All of this took place over two days, and I had affordable broadband internet up and running. The service has been more than adequate for my needs, which include web browsing, online gaming, and video streaming. I have never come close to reaching the monthly maximum data limit. If you can't get or can't afford cable or fiber internet, I highly recommend AT&T broadband if it is available in your area. Great product, great service, great price.

Michelle Kathleen, GA

We had a lot of trouble with our previous internet provider. We constantly lost connection. They never sent a repairman out and we spent hours on the phone with them telling us to reset the system over and over. When we switched to AT&T we had connection issues at first and we thought we would be in the same situation, but they worked until they fixed the issue. It took 5 technicians, but they kept on problem solving. It turns out the wiring in our house was messed up. We appreciated all the work they did to fix it. Once that issue was found and rewired, we did not have any more connection issues.

J9softball

I really like AT&T internet. It is fast and reliable. I love that the equipment doesn’t have extra rental fees. When AT&T has new promotions they honor them even for existing customers which I love. I have had them almost 5yrs and have never paid full price for their internet. I think they are faster and more reliable not to mention cheaper than spectrum. They also don’t call and solicit and bother me all the time like spectrum.

Abi Deen Dallas, TX

AT&T is a great provider for all of your internet needs. They have great technicians and the internet speed is excellent! I used them years ago and didn’t have any problems with my internet. When I moved to my new home, unfortunately they didn’t provide service to my area so I had to switch to another company! I will definitely use AT&T again in the future!

David Bornancin Westlake, OH

Hello and this is David a Software and IT Expert. The thing that's most important to me is Fast speed. I have used and worked with AT&T Internet service and that most important thing was having the service even when I travel and need all my devices to work. High Speed and Good Service is Key. I recommend AT&T for all your Internet needs and to support all your devices.

michael L Wallace Arlington, TX

AT&T Internet is a very reliable company that has knowledgable representatives that are very professional and helpful every time I have a problem. They are there to help me solve my problems and have always helped me in a timely manner. Thank you AT&T.

Michelle Sohn Charlotte, NC

We have had AT&T for years. Our phones, internet and UVerse at one time. We moved to the edge of town. I was worried our internet would lag. After the move we were sent a new modem and a installer came 2 days later. He was great! Rewired from street to house and our plan includes service calls. I homeschool and it's been great. Very happy mom.

Paula Barber Melbourne, FL

I have been using AT&T internet for many years now. I have never had a single problem with them except for them trying to increase the amount I pay every year & I have to call & talk to someone in order to get the price back down to an affordable rate.

Kim Cook Lansing, MI

AT&T has been alright for us. We have not been given updates as they become available and so our internet is not as fast as it could be. Most of the time we have decent speeds, occasionally the internet will go out without a real reason (not storming or unpaid bill, etc). Price is kind of high, compared to some other companies, but being a teacher, the household needs strong and reliable internet to be online for classes.

Nicola Avena Ormond Beach, FL

This has not always given me the best Internet possible but through the storms and my rural area. AT&T has the BEST customer service. They are truly there to provide you with the best possible service for what's best for you and your needs.

fabian Fletcher Dallas, TX

What I love best about AT&t is the fast and reliable internet anytime something goes wrong they there with a quick response ready to rebuild and put back together the internet that I have paid for. But what I don't like is the wait time when speaking to a live representative I think that problem should be rectified so that I'm not talking to automated system too or being pumped from automated to automator other than that the staff is amazing and I'm satisfied with the overall customer service

Myreviewname Friendswood, TX

The internet is ok. We recently got fiber and it works so so. They did send us an internet extension because it didn’t work upstairs. The tech guy did move our box and it seems be doing better.

Whimsigal48 Oklahoma City, OK

I've had AT&T internet service for about a year now. It's on a fiberoptic line. There have been no outages I can remember and the speed is only limited by which device I'm using. I'm very pleased.

Alexandria Lekberg Woodland, CA

We had this for around 10 years and it was great. The internet was fast and we haven’t had any problems with it! The price was well worth it! We moved and they didn’t offer it where we moved.

Brenda Anderson TX

I think AT&T is the best company to use for internet service. They have great customer service and are a very large company with a great reputation. The mbps need to be faster but I live in a very small town.

Mallory

Great internet service and communication. They are honest and trustworthy service provider to have. The have wonderful customer service and exceptional communication. We highly recommend to anyone shopping around.

Jlbflatx New Braunfels, TX

We have AT&T now while living in Texas but since we live in suburban area service is spotty. Sometimes it freezes or drops. If the signal were better it would be perfect. Maybe living right in down town San Antonio it would have better reception but in hills it spotty.

Hemant Ramachandran Saratoga, CA

AT&T is the company which provided my phone. Their internet is always reliable when I use data on my phone. It sometimes is a bit slow, but I have had no issues accessing internet using data when I am in the US except in areas where there is no signal.

Rachel Porter Chicago, IL

I've had AT&T for hotspot internet, DirecTV, and regular internet and wifi. I always experienced frequent interpretations in all these services and wouldn't get much help from Customer Service or the Billing Depatment. As far as I can help it, I will not ever get AT&T ever again.

Brandy Allman Salisbury, NC

I had this service a few years ago when I moved out on my own. I enjoyed the service & the price stayed the same as they said for the entire year.

Gisele SAasser New Smyrna Beach, FL

I used AT&T before and was very pleased. Unfortunately, they do not service my present location. If they ever do, I would switch immediately.

Cassandra Naylor Huntsville, AL

Work from home, internet is unreliable and useless, goes out daily, sometimes for few minutes other times for hours. Need reliable and consistent WIFI service. In and out during work hours, connectivity is horrible and causes work programs to freeze. No WIFI also affects our home security system, TV, and Google hubs. Connection cuts out while watching television or streaming shows, constant buffering. At night when WIFI goes out, alarm system beeps continuously interrupting our sleep. We do not live in a rural area. Calls to customer service is lengthy on-hold time with scripted diagnostic. One service tech after another come out and internet goes out. Connectivity has been a problem since installation in March. Modem has been changed and replaced lines only to experience same connectivity issues hours later and tech is not available to return. We pay for service that is off more than on. Outage does not relate to outage in area nor weather. I would not recommend AT&T internet service to anyone!!!

L Turner Avon, IN

I had many issues with AT&T. Automated customer service was aweful. Sometimes you want to talk to a person but you have to weave through so many voice prompts. Service is average, I never got fiber optic that was promised for years. Eventually I moved on.

Frank Rivera Dorchester, MA

AT&T staff analyzed my families home usage which increased with work from home and created a plan that allows all 4 of us to successfully work, game and stream from home.

Joshua Smith

AT&T fiber is the most consistent internet service I've ever used. The speeds are adequate but admittedly not quite as fast on download as cable... But you'd never notice it.

Paula Indianapolis, IN

Seems it lags a lot. I used to love AT&T internet but now it seems it just keeps getting worse. Used to have great service and speed but now customer service is lacking majorly and speed is no longer that great. Would I recommend them? Absolutely not!

Shalon Johnson Minneapolis, MN

I've had AT&T for about 4-5 years and no complaints. The service is very reliable and the price point is very affordable. I wish there was an option for unlimited 4G

Dennis Madera, CA

We are satisfied with AT&T as our internet provider. We have used them for years without any problems. In the beginning we did have a time or two when we had no service, but that has not been the case in the past years! We bundle our AT&T services which is nice when it comes to paying the bills.

heidi m johnson Mt. Pleasant, SC

I have disliked Comcast and couldn't wait to try a different company. I have had At&t for over a year and can say they are more reasonable. I've never had any issues. I recommend them to my family and friends.

Bridget Walker Bay Saint Louis, MS

At&t has the fastest most reliable wifi service available. With 5g speeds for all your streaming and downloading needs. I have been an AT&T customer for ten years now and I couldn't ask for a better service.

Jennifer Amarillo, TX

ATT gets better with their specials every year. I have been with them for over a decade now. I would not trade out. They are very negotiable and understanding. The wait time if you need to speak with a representative is not bad at all. The prices are pretty straight forward.

Simone Seitz Muskego, WI

I am happy with my internet service through AT&T. I have had it for several years now and have no complaints. It has been very reliable and I have encountered very few problems over that time. I would highly recommend their service!

Sideria Houston, TX

Our internet is the best it never fails me it keeps us connected all day very affordable each month $10 you can't loose

Aujana Denver, CO

We have used there service before. They are great service to use you. They are helpful and charge a good rate.

Walter Brawner Oak Park, IL

I always have a good connection with them and my cost stays the same every month and BTW I just got a discount from them for life. LOVE THEM

Demetrace Williams Milwaukee, WI

ATT is a rip off the internet service is trash. I had to buy an extender, just to get a better internet service upstairs in my house. That was a extra $50.00. Overall, they are expensive and the range is poor.

Ben Tolsky Wilmette, IL

While it’s difficult to deal with them over the phone, they’re internet has been pretty reliable and with fiber is incredibly fast.

M. Nielsen South Bend, IN

Strong service and great customer service they are always there to answer questions and understand and resolve your issues.

Cindy Barber Tulsa, OK

While this was the pricier version of internet, I also never had any outages and it was the only option I had in the area I was in.

Elisabeth Earhart Joplin, MO

I found it difficult to contact AT&T about any problems. Unless you have phone service with them they won't accept your call. Even if discontinued, they won't answer. They get you to sign up for their television service then won't accept your calls to cancel.

Amrit Nandrey Franklin, TN

I have AT&T Fiber for 7+ years now and am extremely happy using same. It is very reliable and offers same upload speed as download.

Gustavo Adolfo Gonzalez Franco Hialeah, FL

They make sure you get thousands of calls if you travel outside the country so you have to pay or acquire more data. Once they tried to charge me 900+ then 600+. Never paid none of them. But besides this, is a great company.

Noa Ranoa Vista, CA

Not what is totally advertised. Fiber can go to our sidewalk, but not into our condo unless we pay $1,500. Good ole copper lines will do for now. Customer service is always up to par though. Solid company, just pick up the tab and get the fiber to me.

Stoney Blazer Republic, MO

They have a fair service with minimal issues. They do rip you on their satellite service. I started out with a $165 monthly bill and with no changes in my service & they have jacked my bill up to $220 a month and that's a basic package with no premium services.

DefToneR Fort Collins, CO

I switched to AT&T after having TMobile for 10 years. Like most of the people, we fall into the trap of "free new phone". Mobile companies are the worst. We know that. Is an Scam that is protected by laws, not sure how they can still operate and keep doing the same. Anyway out bill that was 100 in tmobile for 2 "top of the line black label service" went to 220 U$, with no service coverage outside US (except for mexico) when TMobile offered us basic internet plane for free in almost 30 other countries. We called several times so they explain our invoice price, they dont know how to explain it to you. THey are random fees because you are paying for the phone so you have a fee for that fee and taxes over the fees, all that. We are moving back to Tmobile after they are going to pay part of our debt of the phones (that we purchased 1+ year ago...) Also we switched to AT&T because of supposedly coverage while RVing, and yup, didnt work. All maps are based in "Signal" but not quality. Some places, for example, south from San Diego, you have better signal with ATT but that tower is maxed out, you can barely send a message, forget to download a picture. Internet (Fiber in florida) worked perfect when was installed correctly, then the cable was cut just by the wind, and then wanted to charge us 200 U$ for installation, when was a problem with their original installation (to tense cable). The service works as intended, but just pray not to need to get into the phone with them or ask for a fix. Also, internet is a MUST this days, for work, for safely, for even some houses to work. But yeah, they dont work on Saturdays afternoon or sundays, because they dont want to pay twice the hour to the install guy, So, since people work during the week, all schedule for saturday (half day) are full, so if your internet dies on Friday morning, you are looking forward to get a tech guy with luck at Monday

Sam Massey Seaside, CA

AT&T has provided affordable, fast, and reliable customer service for all of my internet needs for over a year. I received 1TB download speeds, and have no bandwidth problems even with four people living in my house. Outages are rare, and customer service is always quick, friendly and effective. I highly recommend them to anyone who needs internet service they can count on.

David Steelman New Orleans, LA

Great service. High speed. 100% helpful customer service! Can’t beat this service at any price

Satin Danielle St Louis, MO

I love AT&T. They're internet service is great. Ive been with them for years and never had an issue.

Jim Ahmad Memphis, TN

Long wait times both in person or online in order to talk to customer service folks! Even when they talked to me, not prepared to respond to my questions.