Best Company Guarantee AT&T Internet Logo

AT&T Internet

6.8

LAST UPDATED: May 20th, 2022

AT&T has been providing telecommunications services to people across the United States for more than 30 years. You may have have experience with AT&T as a company dedicated to powering your mobile phone, but they're also a popular TV and internet service provider.

You can bundle phone, TV, and internet plans through AT&T, so if you're in the market for all three, this company may be your go-to ISP. AT&T offers its customers one of the world's largest wireless networks, and it's known for being reliable and strong. The company's large customer base benefits from this wide range of services at reasonable prices that will fit in any budget.

But like all ISPs, AT&T has its limitations: AT&T internet is available in 21 states and offers speed up to 1 Gig. Still impressed? So are we.

View Customer AT&T Internet Reviews

The Good

• Affordable Prices
  • High Speeds
  • Rural Availability
  • Generous Data Cap
  • Equipment
  • Bundling Options

Affordable Prices

AT&T Internet is a popular choice because they have a variety of packages. These plans prices are based on a one-year commitment:

• Internet Basic 5 (DSL Plan) — $30 per month
  • Internet 10-100 (DSL Plan) — $40 per month
  • Internet 100 (Fiber Optic) — $40 per month
  • Internet 300 (Fiber Optic) — $40 per month
  • Internet 1,000 (Fiber Optic) — $60 per month

The following disclaimers apply to each of these packages:

Plus taxes. 12 mo. agmt, other qualifying service & combined billing req'd. Incl 1 TB data/mo. $10 chrg for each add'l 50 GB (up to $100/mo). Limited availability in select areas. May not be available in your area. Visit AT&T to check service availability. Actual customer speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Download speeds are typically up to 940 Mbps due to overhead capacity reserved to deliver the data. Speeds may also vary based on factors including site traffic, content provider server capacity, internal network management factors, and end user device capabilities. For more information, go to www.att.com/speed101

AT&T offers these high speed internet plans through fiber and DSL internet. Internet Basic 5 and 10-100 are DSL; Internet 100, 300, and 1,000 are offered through fiber. Not every service provider can offer the consistent download and upload speeds of fiber-optic internet, so this option could be worth looking into if it's available in your area. And it's also worth noting that Internet 1,000 has an unlimited data allowance.

The price for an AT&T internet package is even more impressive when the customer compares the prices to some of the competing broadband providers. Top-tier internet plans from some other companies can cost significantly more than the cost of AT&T's fiber plans.

High Speeds

If you're like any other customer, you're looking for more bang for your buck. AT&T's competitive speeds for broadband and fiber could impress you, especially given their modest price tag. These packages provide different levels of high-speed internet connection:

• Basic 5 — Up to 5 Mbps
  • Internet 10–100 — Up to 100 Mbps
  • Internet 300 — Up to 300 Mbps
  • Internet 1,000 — Up to 1,000 Mbps

These are fast download speeds. Customers should understand that these are the maximum possible download speeds, and you could experience slightly lower speeds depending on external factors, like traffic and computer software.

The Internet 10–100 plan is an average broadband speed that will be more than adequate for some customers; however, it may not be available in some areas.

Rural Availability

If the plans above aren't available in your region, you might still have some options with AT&T.

For customers in rural areas, AT&T may be able to provide better data speeds than many competitors through its Fixed Wireless Internet, which uses an outdoor antenna paired with an indoor router to deliver 25 Mbps speeds for $40 per month. And if you want to bump it up to $89.99 a month, you can bundle DirecTV.

Generous Data Cap

One advantage of choosing AT&T as an internet service provider is its generous data cap. With many of its internet plans, AT&T offers a data cap of 1 TB per month. AT&T also offers an unlimited data plan for $90 per month. This is a lot of data, so most customers won’t have to worry about going over the cap.

Equipment

Customers who sign up with AT&T can receive a modem that also acts as a router, providing Wi-Fi service for their devices. If you don't have your own equipment, this is ideal.

However, you'll pay a $35 activation fee if they perform self-guided setup. For technician service, the installation and activation fee is $99.

Bundling Options

You can bundle your internet with U-Verse TV to save on both. Internet providers typically offer cable TV as well, so this isn't an uncommon feature.

The cheapest package, U-Family TV + AT&T Internet, is $89.99 per month. The internet and TV bundles have an unlimited data allowance, which could be a perk for those who were on the fence about adding TV service to their bundle.

The Bad

• Limited Availability
  • Data Surcharges
  • Contract Required
  • Customer Service Complaints

Limited Availability

AT&T does not offer internet service in every state. There are 21 states across the country that have AT&T internet service networks. They are:

• Alabama
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Wisconsin

If you do not live in one of these states, AT&T is not an option for you.

Data Surcharges

While AT&T offers a generous data cap for most plans, there is an additional charge of $10 per 50 GB of data used past the data cap. This additional charge can be as much as $100 per month. If you choose AT&T, be cautious of how much data you are using, because you may end up with a higher internet bill than you planned for.

Contract Required

If you choose AT&T Internet, you'll have to sign a one-year contract. This might discourage you, because ending a contract early can sometimes result in termination fees which can add up. This will limit your ability to change service options if the need arises.

Customer Service Complaints

Some negative reviewers note that customer service has them feeling like they're being passed between representatives without any solution for an issue. This is a common complaint about many ISPs.

However, not every review expresses this sentiment, and many others praise the patience and knowledge of AT&T representatives.

The Bottom Line

You can see some clear advantages to using AT&T Internet from our review. AT&T gives most of their customers four different internet plans to choose from. These high-speed access products offer fast internet speeds and a variety of features. AT&T's Internet 1,000 plan isn't the fastest on the market, but if you have 1 TB in data allowance, this should be plenty for any family.

But keep in mind that part of AT&T Internet's terms and conditions there is a one-year contract. This contract can be inconvenient and result in an early termination fee if you need to move or want to change providers. Additionally, the customer will have to pay an extra fee for any overages.

AT&T is a great internet service provider to choose if you are looking for quality internet access and are already utilizing other services from this company.

Call our recommended rep over at AT&T Internet below.

bestcompany guarantee

Best Company guarantees your satisfaction if you choose a company that has earned this distinction. If you're not satisfied after 30 days, simply let us know and we'll give you $100. Yes, it's really that simple.

Learn More

3.3

Sam Massey Seaside, CA

AT&T has provided affordable, fast, and reliable customer service for all of my internet needs for over a year. I received 1TB download speeds, and have no bandwidth problems even with four people living in my house. Outages are rare, and customer service is always quick, friendly and effective. I highly recommend them to anyone who needs internet service they can count on.

Snapper Rogers Indianapolis, IN

We had them for a year and I can't remember one time that our service was down or it would not stream. They have excellent internet.

Susan P Moniz Waipahu, HI

AT&T is the provider for my iPad and iPhone for more than 20 years. I have never experienced dropped calls and other problems. I can travel anywhere in the world and maintain contact with all the important people and businesses.

CLESHETTA Milwaukee, WI

Great service. During the pandemic increased my usage for the same price, to accommodate everyone being home.

Matthew Huffman Atlanta, GA

In the months of the pandemic i tried numerous times to lower my internet bill as all others had been lowered because of income loss. Nothing could get them to lower my bill. No begging, no information, no government relief effort. I tried every single month since losing that job and was constantly told nothing could be done. Lo, and behold: i was able to get a dofferent internet via t-mobile and called to cancel only to be told they can infact lower my bill. By 50%! Imagine! Not a cent should go to this evil corporation. They should fall to the wayside. We are cash cattle for them and they care not for us.

Mary Daniels Detroit, MI

AT&T are reliable when it comes to the internet. They also upgraded the speed and the customer service are accurate with their knowledge of troubleshooting. I have WiFi through AT&T and the gaming area for my son is always satisfactory-MD

L Hill Chicago, IL

We recently upgraded to Fiber through At&t and it is really high quality grade, reliable, and super fast. We have not noticed any buffering or lag in speed even while using 5 or more devices at once on wifi network. At&t makes it easy to log into your isp settings to restart gateway or make changes to get optimal speed or just simply clear any unnecessary device build up which helps us because we stream tv alot an work from home.

Fabiane Valduga Miami, FL

Internet doesn't work and AT&T informed that the technician can come to fix the problem in 5 days, this is what they say to their valued customer, they do not provide a good service and they don't care if you need the internet to work remotely. Be careful when choosing this provider, you can be very disappointed.

Shi**yservice Detroit, MI

When they come to fix an issue they need like 8 different trucks with maybe one person actually working and even that person only worked very little to fix a line and they will say it's done while you still don't have service . Then they make you call and get a ticket number on a day they have available to finish fixing it correctly

Judi Mauldin, SC

I loved when I was able to get AT&T U-Verse for internet and cable. Very good quality product. I wish they offered the service at my current residence.

Gary Wilkins

At &T is a great company .. products are great and I have used them for a long time. I especially like their cellular network fast and never issues with any calls

Ronald Cohen Sherwood, AR

The service reliable, but is pricey. Customer service varies depending on which call center takes the call. Foreign locations do their best but often can be frustrating to work with because of the language differences.

Mario Martin Montgomery, TX

I've recently moved away to an area that does not offer the quality and reliability that I had experienced for many years with AT&T Internet and my current experience with a "competitor" is like "night & day". What I wouldn't do to have my peace of mind that came with AT&T Internet fast internet service and reliable technical support services.

Clara L El Paso, TX

AT&T Internet has good quality service. I live in a deserted area so we get a lot of sand storms and I never lose service. My only issue is AT&T can get very expensive. You might be okay in a locked contract aka deal but once that contract is over, you might as well hand AT&T your bank account.

mark walther Houston, TX

They cost too much for the service provided. The customer service for a supposed US corporation with American Telegraph and Telephone as their name, get's you to somewhere in the Philippians , India, or god knows where! Not only is it hard to even understand them almost all the time but it takes over an hour of questions just to get something simple done which should take five to fifteen minutes tops. Very, very frustrating at best.

Tammy Bright Lexington, KY

I lived in a rural area and had the internet with the towns usual internet provider. It was so bad, I could not keep a connection to work from home. As soon as AT&T came to town, I signed up for their service. I not only was able to stream movies and TV shows,I was able to o work from home with no problems. Go AT&T!!

Yuli Gallardo Delray Beach, FL

I am an AT&T internet client for over a year now and have no complaints on their service. I can work from home with a piece of mind that my internet will not fail me, and also is great for my TV app streaming. Prices are very affordable and the registration process super easy as well. Highly recommended!

Cynthia Landing Forest City, IL

AT&T internet services worked well for me my signals stay strong which I depend on my internet services for other things in my home like streaming tv’s, security system and my cellphone. The customer service was polite, patient and clearly knowledgeable if you experience a problem unfortunately I’m saddened to where I moved which is in the rural area their service isn’t offered otherwise I will be a customer of theirs today

This Girl San Francisco, CA

I love AT&T internet because it is affordable and the WIFI comes with it for Free so I can power more of my Grandkids Gagits

Cindy Meens Houston, TX

Coverage everywhere even places you wouldn’t think could have internet. Fast and secure. Dependable service with great apps. I loved this service!

Ashley Stoker Plano, TX

I loved ATT internet when I had it before I moved. The speeds were very reliable and the price was a great value. I wish they serviced my area.

Siobhan Fitzgerald Seattle, WA

I have been an AT&T customer for the past 3 years and I am happy with their customer service. I use their internet and it's been great, I don't have any complaints.

Emily Swierczynski Waterford, MI

ATT used to have good service in my area, but no matter where I've moved they always have the slowest speeds available. I've never lived in a single place they offer fiber or speeds over 50 down, yet they charge the same for gig compared to competitors.

Dwayne Holland Toney, AL

I ordered at&t through direct tv combo. I was very satisfied with service and my internet service was very fast. I love At&t. I highly recommend it to everyone.

K R CA

Super fast internet capability I have a prepaid mobile internet plan at 4G speeds and it is faster and more reliable than my M**** By T****** 5G full service subscribed plan.

Felicia Bady

Had a problem with my cable box couldn’t remember want type of tv I had but the customer service rep was knowledgeable about ATT Equipment Explain to me what’s the difference between a 4K very knowledgeable about his job took his time to explain everything to me thanks

lawnguy69 Howell, MI

AT&T internet was very reliable. Speed was good for everything my wife and I did (surf net, watch TV, youtube, etc) but video gamer son complained about lag. Overall satisfied, and price was lower than only other option here

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

The service itself is not too bad but the customer service, company transparency and billing are a mess. As a paying customer for a long time, every monthly bill I got had a different amount on it. I would have to call customer service to dispute such so I could pay what we had agreed on monthly for the plan I signed up for. Customer service takes a long time to take calls, not too helpful with problems so they transfer you to someone else where you wait some more, and then they tell you that the planned you signed up for was only a fixed price for a year thus expired. This company offers great internet thus taking care of these problems would put it up there with other internet services.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I am new to AT&T internet service, although I can say that we have had some issues from the get-go, within the first week of installation. We have the 300mb fiber optic wife and internet service. The first issue I have is the speed. After speaking to customer service, no one can tell me the cause of the slow speeds. The gateway is measuring the correct speed, but an internet test on all devices in the house reveals speeds of under 60mbs! Way below the speed we are paying for. Previously we had 100mb cable internet, and the speeds often topped out around 110mb, so I highly doubt we have faulty devices. Yet I get the run around and cannot get an answer. We will continue to use and try out the service over the course of the year, as we are receiving a good promo deal. We were also suppose to receive $300 in giftcards over a month ago, to which we have still not seen or heard of as of yet. The rep gave me his name and number and I have called and texted several times only to have my number blocked with no response. I definitely feel like the rep lied to us about the service and the "giftcard" promotion that they were supposedly offering.

Aubrey Dallas, TX

I've used at&t internet for years and I've just barely switched me and my family to their phone plans. I've really liked the internet and I feel like they always have good deals and you end up saving more money than you would from a different internet service. Overall I really like them.

Bob Trammell Los Angeles, CA

I used AT&T internet for 3 years as I was using their cable TV service, as well. I found them to be unreliable and much slower than their advertised rate. Their technical support is absolutely the worst on planet Earth. You call their 800 number and wait. I've had to wait 4-5 hour to talk to a tech. Other times I would wait and after several hours, they disconnected me. Online support was terrible and if the internet is down is unavailable, of course. I regularly had issues with their equipment. When I first got it, they refused to let me pick my own SSID and password. When their router died, I had to change the SSID and password on all my devices. They eventually let you change it, but provided no support for doing so. In the 3 years I was with them, I probably went through 8 routers. Their fastest speed in my area was 50 Mbs, although they now have 80 Mbs. I's just glad I could switch to another provider for less money and more speed.

Brandon Berwyn, IL

Earlier this year we switched to AT&T Fiber. Got in on a good promotion as it was new in the area. Far cheaper than Comcast and the quality is legit. Two people work form home with multiple devices, streaming, and gaming platforms. No complaints really.

Samarra Miller Fort Lauderdale, FL

I had AT&T a couple years ago what I can say is whenever I had an issue or the Internet went out they had someone out at my home at a reasonable timing taking care of it before I knew it I was up and running with Internet in no time.

MGW San Jose, CA

I've had AT&T Internet service at my home for about 20 years now. I started with DSL and have upgraded repeatedly over time to where I am now - Gb Fiber to the home. The service has become increasingly reliable, is now rock solid, and they have been happy to adjust the pricing almost yearly to whatever their current price/speed is.

Chuck Vaughn Tulsa, OK

I am very satisfied with ATT (Uverse) Internet(DSL). I have been with them for many years and I have a very few problems. The cost is really not bad if internet is bundled with phone. I have always found customer serv. to be easy to deal with and tech support walks me through procedures. When a tech comes to my home they are knowledgeable, friendly, etc. The only downside to the service is that the weather causes signal loss which is unavoidable with satellite. I recently considered switching to cable but after reading the reviews I decided NO!!!! I have very rarely seen so many 0ne Star reviews!

royalyakdog Pueblo, CO

The slick sales guy guaranteed 20 MB of download. He knew I had 4 wireless computers. He neglected to tell me the only way I would get 20MB is by using a ethernet cable. I rarely got above 8 MB. I ran back to Comcast who is another shister company but at least doesn't lie.

Promise Mccall Monticello, NY

I used AT&T has a carrier from my cell phone provider I was with them for a little while but then switched over to another company that offered me better rates and deals.

Bella Mee Mobile, AL

I love the AT&T access internet program wonderful affordable and good service it's a blessing most helpful to me by GOD permission!

Jack Rein Sparta, WI

I use AT&T internet hot spot in northern Wisconsin. The service and speed are better than the only other service in the area.

Wendy Shaw Queens, NY

Affordable pricing. Great customer service. Easy to access my account and pay my bill. Definitely refer friends and family!!!

moujib ceesay Lexington, KY

They are the best and reliable, they have the reception . The customer service is great . They have good discount and offer great services.

Kristie Jones Murfreesboro, TN

Not very happy. Recently they switched me to the AT&T Fiber and it drops signal on everything we have daily. I have called and reported it several times and all they say is “We e no problem on our end” and that’s always the end of it. I’m not happy with it at all.

Michael Surber Memphis, TN

Internet worked ok idk if it was just the area I was in our not but it could've been other than that customer service was good and they worked with me when I had went into hard times.

Amelia C Anchorage, AK

AT&T has the fastest service and wide range data. Even when I am visiting home in Alaska, I have full coverage. I have got a lot of co-workers to switch to AT&T!

Carla Lewis Walled Lake, MI

The service has been consistent and a definite upgrade from the previous service provider. Speed is adequate for non-streaming ( I do not stream presently).

Marcus Conner Bentonville, AR

Just average at best. Costs are going up so I may be checking msg out.

Leah Garcia Yuma, AZ

We used AT&T for many years and found their customer service to be pretty good most of the time, and the services that they offer to work well. Their prices were pretty comparable and a lot of the time less that other companies that I have used.

M.L.G. San Francisco, CA

I had AT&T DSL for years prior to the pandemic. I also have landline phone service through AT&T. The two services were together. Until, AT&T split them up. Which, was an inconvenience. When, we began working from home; I needed fast internet service for work. AT&T had no way to provide even the minimum speeds needed in the city I live in. That was an added hassle. As, I had to find a company that could.

Sarah Huda Los Angeles, CA

I switched to AT&T from another company for internet and I haven't had a bad experience yet in the few years I've had them. Any time I've had to call for help, I got a real person and I feel appreciated because they upped my mbps just for being a loyal customer.

Erik Lewis Atlanta, GA

I like the fiber speed it cannot be beat, however I'm not a fan of how they installed it to the house. Speed great installation cost them a star. Just make sure you are there for the installation. The installer bullied my son into where it needed to be installed which was bull.