Best Company Guarantee AT&T Internet Logo

AT&T Internet

7.1

LAST UPDATED: December 5th, 2022

AT&T has been providing telecommunications services to people across the United States for more than 30 years. You may have have experience with AT&T as a company dedicated to powering your mobile phone, but they're also a popular TV and internet service provider.

You can bundle phone, TV, and internet plans through AT&T, so if you're in the market for all three, this company may be your go-to ISP. AT&T offers its customers one of the world's largest wireless networks, and it's known for being reliable and strong. The company's large customer base benefits from this wide range of services at reasonable prices that will fit in any budget.

But like all ISPs, AT&T has its limitations: AT&T internet is available in 21 states and offers speed up to 1 Gig. Still impressed? So are we.

View Customer AT&T Internet Reviews

The Good

• Affordable Prices
  • High Speeds
  • Rural Availability
  • Generous Data Cap
  • Equipment
  • Bundling Options

Affordable Prices

AT&T Internet is a popular choice because they have a variety of packages. These plans prices are based on a one-year commitment:

• Internet Basic 5 (DSL Plan) — $30 per month
  • Internet 10-100 (DSL Plan) — $40 per month
  • Internet 100 (Fiber Optic) — $40 per month
  • Internet 300 (Fiber Optic) — $40 per month
  • Internet 1,000 (Fiber Optic) — $60 per month

The following disclaimers apply to each of these packages:

Plus taxes. 12 mo. agmt, other qualifying service & combined billing req'd. Incl 1 TB data/mo. $10 chrg for each add'l 50 GB (up to $100/mo). Limited availability in select areas. May not be available in your area. Visit AT&T to check service availability. Actual customer speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Download speeds are typically up to 940 Mbps due to overhead capacity reserved to deliver the data. Speeds may also vary based on factors including site traffic, content provider server capacity, internal network management factors, and end user device capabilities. For more information, go to www.att.com/speed101

AT&T offers these high speed internet plans through fiber and DSL internet. Internet Basic 5 and 10-100 are DSL; Internet 100, 300, and 1,000 are offered through fiber. Not every service provider can offer the consistent download and upload speeds of fiber-optic internet, so this option could be worth looking into if it's available in your area. And it's also worth noting that Internet 1,000 has an unlimited data allowance.

The price for an AT&T internet package is even more impressive when the customer compares the prices to some of the competing broadband providers. Top-tier internet plans from some other companies can cost significantly more than the cost of AT&T's fiber plans.

High Speeds

If you're like any other customer, you're looking for more bang for your buck. AT&T's competitive speeds for broadband and fiber could impress you, especially given their modest price tag. These packages provide different levels of high-speed internet connection:

• Basic 5 — Up to 5 Mbps
  • Internet 10–100 — Up to 100 Mbps
  • Internet 300 — Up to 300 Mbps
  • Internet 1,000 — Up to 1,000 Mbps

These are fast download speeds. Customers should understand that these are the maximum possible download speeds, and you could experience slightly lower speeds depending on external factors, like traffic and computer software.

The Internet 10–100 plan is an average broadband speed that will be more than adequate for some customers; however, it may not be available in some areas.

Rural Availability

If the plans above aren't available in your region, you might still have some options with AT&T.

For customers in rural areas, AT&T may be able to provide better data speeds than many competitors through its Fixed Wireless Internet, which uses an outdoor antenna paired with an indoor router to deliver 25 Mbps speeds for $40 per month. And if you want to bump it up to $89.99 a month, you can bundle DirecTV.

Generous Data Cap

One advantage of choosing AT&T as an internet service provider is its generous data cap. With many of its internet plans, AT&T offers a data cap of 1 TB per month. AT&T also offers an unlimited data plan for $90 per month. This is a lot of data, so most customers won’t have to worry about going over the cap.

Equipment

Customers who sign up with AT&T can receive a modem that also acts as a router, providing Wi-Fi service for their devices. If you don't have your own equipment, this is ideal.

However, you'll pay a $35 activation fee if they perform self-guided setup. For technician service, the installation and activation fee is $99.

Bundling Options

You can bundle your internet with U-Verse TV to save on both. Internet providers typically offer cable TV as well, so this isn't an uncommon feature.

The cheapest package, U-Family TV + AT&T Internet, is $89.99 per month. The internet and TV bundles have an unlimited data allowance, which could be a perk for those who were on the fence about adding TV service to their bundle.

The Bad

• Limited Availability
  • Data Surcharges
  • Contract Required
  • Customer Service Complaints

Limited Availability

AT&T does not offer internet service in every state. There are 21 states across the country that have AT&T internet service networks. They are:

• Alabama
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Wisconsin

If you do not live in one of these states, AT&T is not an option for you.

Data Surcharges

While AT&T offers a generous data cap for most plans, there is an additional charge of $10 per 50 GB of data used past the data cap. This additional charge can be as much as $100 per month. If you choose AT&T, be cautious of how much data you are using, because you may end up with a higher internet bill than you planned for.

Contract Required

If you choose AT&T Internet, you'll have to sign a one-year contract. This might discourage you, because ending a contract early can sometimes result in termination fees which can add up. This will limit your ability to change service options if the need arises.

Customer Service Complaints

Some negative reviewers note that customer service has them feeling like they're being passed between representatives without any solution for an issue. This is a common complaint about many ISPs.

However, not every review expresses this sentiment, and many others praise the patience and knowledge of AT&T representatives.

The Bottom Line

You can see some clear advantages to using AT&T Internet from our review. AT&T gives most of their customers four different internet plans to choose from. These high-speed access products offer fast internet speeds and a variety of features. AT&T's Internet 1,000 plan isn't the fastest on the market, but if you have 1 TB in data allowance, this should be plenty for any family.

But keep in mind that part of AT&T Internet's terms and conditions there is a one-year contract. This contract can be inconvenient and result in an early termination fee if you need to move or want to change providers. Additionally, the customer will have to pay an extra fee for any overages.

AT&T is a great internet service provider to choose if you are looking for quality internet access and are already utilizing other services from this company.

Call our recommended rep over at AT&T Internet below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

3.5

Cord G Belmont, CA

I just switched from xfinity and t-mobile because AT&T has fiber optics which provides ne with better, faster service. Their techs are professional but also polite, kind, and funny! I Lso get more for my money with AT&T thank you!

1 day ago

Leola Ailene San Diego, CA

I've had their DSL (Uverse) service for the past 3 years. I live in an apartment complex in a highly populated area in town. These factors affect the available bandwidth when using DSL. That's why they'll promote speeds "up to" XXMbps. Understanding all this, the product is fine. I work from home and it serves me well. Streaming HD movies is where I notice the product lacking. We definitely need more bandwidth to accommodate the increasing needs our entertainment devices require. We pay for the max available in our area. To get improved service, we would need AT&T fiber. Not available yet. In the meantime, we suffer through occassional buffering, but at this point, it's not terrible. I've had to reach out to their customer service a few times. Seriously needs improvement. This goes for both the human and automated support. I'm always immensely frustrated when I seek support.

Marshall Trey Wood San Antonio, TX

I just recently moved to Austin, Texas and I assumed getting internet would be as easy as picking up the phone and essentially say, “I want internet today” and, poof!, it would arrive. Well, not so much. The first company, that shall remain unnamed, was very happy to charge my card and make some beautifully worded promises. Then? They showed up with equipment that looked like it had rolled around in the back of a rusted pickup truck and they needed a place to hide it. My new apartment must have been on their mind. Then? The promised 100 mbps turned out to average in the low 50s. NEVER did a speed test register anything close to 100 mbps. So… I canceled after hours in the phone and a “find the right person” scavenger hunt within the company directory. My neighbor then suggested AT&T. I knew they did phones, but Internet was something I assumed they hadn’t perfected. The day they arrived and install the equipment was literally the same day I called them. When they promised a certain speed for the service, I received roughly 50 more megabytes per second than I needed. I can’t say anything negative about AT&T! They were fast, courteous, honest and affordable. What more could someone ask for in this day and age when things are overpromise and under delivered?

Precious H. Red Oak, TX

I have had AT&T internet and phone for nearly 2 decades. The internet has improved throughout the years. My service area recently got fiber optics and it makes streaming and dowload speeds even better. The price is not too bad either. The bandwidth is strong enough to power all of our electronics and TVs without slowing down. Love them!

Claudia Ruiz Hialeah, FL

What I like the most about this company is its excellent Internet service, unmatched and at affordable prices, it is never interrupted, the speed is excellent and it is maintained, it never drops, thank you very much for such a good service.

Braska Williams Jr Knightdale, NC

I love their speed and reliability. . I am able to utilize a 1 GB service, and I receive the full speed amount. Very rarely does the service ever drop or cut off. I will say that I have AT&T Fiber which is very different from AT&T DSL. I had Spectrum Cable Internet for several years, and it was terrible. It would drop several times per day.

Angel Chau El Monte, CA

We been a long time customer of AT&T and used many products from mobile, cable to internet. Our recent, is the Fiber Internet, which by far is the best provider's service in our area. Installation, connecting with the CS and actual use of the service been smooth so far.

Carlos M. Hercules, CA

right now, I have att fiber internet at my house. It runs ok, but not the best. maybe I need to jump or upgrade to a higher internet. i havve mutiple items connected at home over the wifi. sometimes streaming on youtube it lags, or when kids are playing on their video it lags also. I would upgrade to a higher service if their plans where cheaper.

Eva Salazar Lubbock, TX

I have used AT&T internet and was pleased but the prices continue to rise and the internet does not. Other brands have faster service and helpful customer service. The price was right is the only thing.

Leslie Jones Las Vegas, NV

A five star rating for service. I had fiberoptic internet and that's all I had. When they started charging over $100.00 just for internet cancelled the service. Connection speed was amazing.

Charles Cheek Miami, FL

AT&T is probably my favorite choice for Internet service provider. They have very fast speeds for the best price and they don't go up on you after a year. The price has stayed the same for five years and they deliver the speed that they advertise at all times. Customer service is easy to talk to if you are specific in telling them your issue

Life of Frog South Bend, IN

Best customer service and best products. We have had AT&T for over 15 years. We had them for our cell phone primarily, but did use them for a landline years ago (when people still had house phones lol). Any issue we ever had, AT&T was friendly and fixed it immediately or credited our account. Can't recommend them enough!

Jolee Franklin, LA

AT&t has given me excellent service. The only thing I can compare this to is Cox internet. When I was with Cox internet I had problems every week. The internet would not work with Cox. Since I have been with AT&t I have had no problems at all. I can log into my AT&T account and check my internet speed and also reset my computer and my network if I need to. Whenever I did have to call AT&t which was very seldom I always received excellent help. I was with Cox for I believe like 45 years. I stayed with Cox because I heard AT&t was not that good but that is so wrong. I will never go back to Cox internet AT&t has me for life.

T Timgillis58 Raleigh, NC

I have broadband internet service with AT&T, and I have to say that I'm extremely pleased with it. The advertised speeds are "at least" 25 MB/second download, and they more than meet that. My normal average speed is 30 to 34 MB/second, and my uptime since last November is 100%. The only time I haven't had service is during a power outage, for obvious reasons. I did a self-install, and AT&T shipped the gateway modem to my door and included all instructions for setup. They also sent a customer representative to my residence to assist with the setup, at no cost to me. Since there was a problem with the wiring in my condo, a service technician came out and completed the wiring setup, again at no cost to me. Once that was done the gateway connected and I was on my way. All of this took place over two days, and I had affordable broadband internet up and running. The service has been more than adequate for my needs, which include web browsing, online gaming, and video streaming. I have never come close to reaching the monthly maximum data limit. If you can't get or can't afford cable or fiber internet, I highly recommend AT&T broadband if it is available in your area. Great product, great service, great price.

Michelle Kathleen, GA

We had a lot of trouble with our previous internet provider. We constantly lost connection. They never sent a repairman out and we spent hours on the phone with them telling us to reset the system over and over. When we switched to AT&T we had connection issues at first and we thought we would be in the same situation, but they worked until they fixed the issue. It took 5 technicians, but they kept on problem solving. It turns out the wiring in our house was messed up. We appreciated all the work they did to fix it. Once that issue was found and rewired, we did not have any more connection issues.

MJ Cleveland, OH

Fast internet. Excellent customer service. The customer retention dept is always willing to help me find discounts for being a long standing customer.

A Luckner Albertville, AL

They are hands down the best I have had. They changed my contract without notice. My bill went to almost triple the amount. After calling customer service my account was adjusted and I couldn't be happier.

Jude Lb Houston, TX

Not the best nor the worst, but they charge a bit much for only 18 mbps. Knowing I was paying the same for 60 mbps with another company in my previous city, they should charge about half what they do. Since internet it my area is limited, I was basically forced to get theirs. Now that I finally was able to find faster interest for less, I have left them in the dust. Doubt I'll ever go back to AT&T.

T Havener Calhoun, TN

We love the internet service, it’s cost is bundled with our direct tv account, so it is very reasonably priced. We live out in the country, so it does go out with bad weather, but is usually back up pretty quick. We have unlimited data and that is a big bonus

Michael Wroblewski Temple, TX

At AT&T I got a great coverage everywhere even inside a basement inside of metal building they're a great offers great deals great promotions thank you AT&T for your great coverage

Lorraine Z New Orleans, LA

Been a loyal customer AT&t internet after switching over from Cox and I have to say it was one of my best decisions as far as internet providers. Never gone down once in five years.

Matthew Laney Upland, CA

I previously used AT&T Internet as my web and e-mail service. They were a good value, reliable and relatively fast. I would probably still be with them today if I did not use a different carrier for my cell phone. I recommend AT&T Internet.

b. ellena Kansas City, MO

At&t internet service has been a blessing! I was using a competing company, and their customer service was horrible. I never knew how much I was missing until I switched to At&t! The customer service and high speed internet quality is the best I have ever had!

Jerry Cantrell Columbus, OH

I recently purchased AT&T Internet. This is the 2nd time I have been a customer. ATT&T Internet is reliable and fast. It also has individual lines to your house, when you neighbors are using the service it doesn't slow you don!!

Gabe Dominiczak

Great bundle options. Provided all of the services I needed.

8 hours ago

J9softball

I really like AT&T internet. It is fast and reliable. I love that the equipment doesn’t have extra rental fees. When AT&T has new promotions they honor them even for existing customers which I love. I have had them almost 5yrs and have never paid full price for their internet. I think they are faster and more reliable not to mention cheaper than spectrum. They also don’t call and solicit and bother me all the time like spectrum.

Abi Dallas, TX

AT&T is a great provider for all of your internet needs. They have great technicians and the internet speed is excellent! I used them years ago and didn’t have any problems with my internet. When I moved to my new home, unfortunately they didn’t provide service to my area so I had to switch to another company! I will definitely use AT&T again in the future!

David Bornancin Westlake, OH

Hello and this is David a Software and IT Expert. The thing that's most important to me is Fast speed. I have used and worked with AT&T Internet service and that most important thing was having the service even when I travel and need all my devices to work. High Speed and Good Service is Key. I recommend AT&T for all your Internet needs and to support all your devices.

fabian Fletcher Dallas, TX

What I love best about AT&t is the fast and reliable internet anytime something goes wrong they there with a quick response ready to rebuild and put back together the internet that I have paid for. But what I don't like is the wait time when speaking to a live representative I think that problem should be rectified so that I'm not talking to automated system too or being pumped from automated to automator other than that the staff is amazing and I'm satisfied with the overall customer service

Jesse and MaryAnn Hewett FL

The service quality is sometimes not the best but overall I am happier with them than competitive companies as far as coverage

Rodriquez Perry Greensboro, NC

Had phone service with the company was great very fast service and reliable just became very expensive

Shantel Palomino Wickliffe, OH

They are always willing to help,and service is always on time very nice customer service team never a bad moment thank you

bsummer2000 Longview, TX

Very bad reliability at our business and home. Our office depends on connection and we had to call the service dept almost every week to get us back up and running. After 4 months, they discovered a bad line and repaired it. The same with the home. The line in the ground was bad and we kept losing service. Not until they dug up the cable and replaced it, did we get service but it was only enough for 2.8 speed. Very very slow!

Deanna Hoffmeyer Farmington, MI

When I first signed up I was able to take advantage of the discount for agreeing to a two-year contract. After the first year the promotional period ended. I didn’t receive anything from the company informing me that the rate would increase the very next month which I would’ve appreciated a reminder.

lyn riley Grand Rapids, MI

really like the service but I feel the internet could be better

4 hours ago

R Henson

Very reliable except during inclement weather.

michael L Wallace Arlington, TX

AT&T Internet is a very reliable company that has knowledgable representatives that are very professional and helpful every time I have a problem. They are there to help me solve my problems and have always helped me in a timely manner. Thank you AT&T.

Michelle Sohn Charlotte, NC

We have had AT&T for years. Our phones, internet and UVerse at one time. We moved to the edge of town. I was worried our internet would lag. After the move we were sent a new modem and a installer came 2 days later. He was great! Rewired from street to house and our plan includes service calls. I homeschool and it's been great. Very happy mom.

Paula Barber Melbourne, FL

I have been using AT&T internet for many years now. I have never had a single problem with them except for them trying to increase the amount I pay every year & I have to call & talk to someone in order to get the price back down to an affordable rate.

Kim Cook Lansing, MI

AT&T has been alright for us. We have not been given updates as they become available and so our internet is not as fast as it could be. Most of the time we have decent speeds, occasionally the internet will go out without a real reason (not storming or unpaid bill, etc). Price is kind of high, compared to some other companies, but being a teacher, the household needs strong and reliable internet to be online for classes.

Nicola Avena Ormond Beach, FL

This has not always given me the best Internet possible but through the storms and my rural area. AT&T has the BEST customer service. They are truly there to provide you with the best possible service for what's best for you and your needs.

Yamilka Coca Bakersfield, CA

I have had good experiences working with AT&T . When I moved they made the process very simple. The representative was friendly and knowledgeable, they tried to ensure I was set up with the best offer and connected me with the scheduling team to make an appointment to setup the service. It was an easy process.

Hemant Ramachandran Saratoga, CA

AT&T is the company which provided my phone. Their internet is always reliable when I use data on my phone. It sometimes is a bit slow, but I have had no issues accessing internet using data when I am in the US except in areas where there is no signal.

Sam Massey Seaside, CA

AT&T has provided affordable, fast, and reliable customer service for all of my internet needs for over a year. I received 1TB download speeds, and have no bandwidth problems even with four people living in my house. Outages are rare, and customer service is always quick, friendly and effective. I highly recommend them to anyone who needs internet service they can count on.

Chuck Vaughn Tulsa, OK

I am very satisfied with ATT (Uverse) Internet(DSL). I have been with them for many years and I have a very few problems. The cost is really not bad if internet is bundled with phone. I have always found customer serv. to be easy to deal with and tech support walks me through procedures. When a tech comes to my home they are knowledgeable, friendly, etc. The only downside to the service is that the weather causes signal loss which is unavoidable with satellite. I recently considered switching to cable but after reading the reviews I decided NO!!!! I have very rarely seen so many 0ne Star reviews!

Mary Lou Scott Spring, TX

The service is good. The cost increases every so often. In order to get good service they come up with a higher price for more speed.

William F Seitl Indianapolis, IN

I have fiber coming into my house it works great. No down time at all for over a year I have had the service

Holly Holmes Washington, DC

AT&T is the best internet provider in my area which is rural and in the mountain Foothills. Their being the best still isn't very good. It has slow speeds and buffering most nights.

Jacqueline Mertins Lorena, TX

I previously had AT&T and was very happy with them. They were not available at my new house with high speed. Wish they did.

D

Excellent speed and responsive customer service. Had internet for almost 10 years and never had a problem once of any kind.