AMP Smart security provides customized home security solutions for its customers in Utah. The company helps protect against burglary, fire, and medical emergency situations with 24/7 professional monitoring and remote system access from its mobile device app. AMP Smart provides customers with Alarm.com security equipment and monthly monitoring from Guardian Protection Services.

#1 Vivint chevron_right
#2 Guardian Protection chevron_right
#3 Frontpoint chevron_right

The Good

• 24/7 Professional Monitoring
  • Mobile System Access
  • Complete Home Automation Features
  • Medical Wellness Monitoring
  • Customer Perks

24/7 Professional Monitoring

Home security solutions through AMP Smart are fully customizable based on a customer's unique lifestyle and feature 24/7 professional monitoring from the AMP security team.

Mobile System Access

AMP Smart offers remote access from a customer's iOS or Android smartphone, iPad, or computer. This includes motion sensor notifications and doorbell camera feed.

Complete Home Automation Features

Home automation features include mobile controls over thermostat settings, lighting, security camera, small appliances, door locks, and garage door entry. Customers can also remotely arm/disarm the home security system from any location. Indoor and outdoor video surveillance cameras are available as well as video doorbell camera technology.

Medical Wellness Monitoring

The company's medical alarm system help keep track of daily patterns of elderly loved ones while the customer is away. Customers can receive instant alerts if daily activity patterns change or a family member leaves the house. The enhanced functionality of its personal emergency response systems help elderly family members speak with emergency dispatchers through two-way voice technology until help arrives.

Customer Perks

AMP Smart security has a referral perk, a move guarantee, a theft protection pledge, and a service warranty.
If you make a referral that signs up, you'll receive a $200 Amazon gift card. This is a generous bonus, and most companies only have a $50 bonus.

If you've been with AMP Smart for over a year and are moving within its service area, you can receive a new base security system and a 25% discount on upgrades. However, if you need to cancel due to your move, you could be subject to a hefty cancellation fee which we discuss more in The Bad section.

The theft protection pledge ensures that you will be reimbursed up to $500 toward an insurance deductible if your house has been bulglarized while using AMP Smart.

For the AMP Smart service warranty, you can receive repairs and replacements for a $35 deductible if your product breaks or becomes defective. This is subject to the terms and conditions of your contract.

The Bad

• High Monthly Prices
  • Fees
  • Undisclosed Warranty Info
  • Five-Year Contract

High Monthly Prices

The average price for a home security system from AMP Smart is $55.99 per month. This is slightly on the high end of prices, especially when top competitors offer systems that cost less than half the price.

Fees

AMP Smart's installation fee of $249 isn't particularly attractive, either. Top competitors will send you equipment for free or include free installation that will save you hundreds of dollars.

If you want to cancel AMP Smart, you could be subject to a fee of up to $1,250, which is high when compared to other home security companies like ADT.

Undisclosed Warranty Info

The home security company also does not publicly offer equipment warranty information on its website. Customers may be responsible for certain components of their systems. It is unclear if there may be an upfront fee for professional installation as well.

Five-Year Contract

AMP Smart requires a five-year contract, which is one of the highest term lengths among home security companies. Many competitors have three-year contracts, and some have month-to-month subscriptions. Five years is a long time to commit to a company if you're unsure of its quality, particularly with such a high installation and cancellation cost.

View Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

AMP Smart provides consumers with custom home security packages that include mobile device access and 24/7 professional monitoring. The home security company offers complete coverage for burglary, fire, and medical emergencies. However, AMP Smart's pricing is noticeably higher than top competitors, and the tall installation fee will be a detractor for some customers.

View Best Home Security Companies

1.8
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

Holly

September 7th, 2020 Shepherdsville, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We bought a security system a little over a year ago. We’ve had problems with the cameras not functioning since then. Now it’s a daily occurrence with the cameras not working. One of the times the camera went out was around 9pm. We tried to call but they were closed and had no way to get ahold of anyone in the company other than to send a message on the website. So we did that. It took them 2 weeks to call back. Then told us it took that long because we sent a message online and didn’t call. I tried explaining that we attempted to call but couldn’t talk to anyone because they were closed. They continued to blame us for not calling. In addition our security system disarms itself in the middle of the night. We’ve had multiple days in the last week where we’ve spent 45+ minutes on the phone with amp trying to troubleshoot the problem in addition to a tech coming to the house to fix the problem. Nothing has worked. We felt we should not have to pay for a system that does not work. We’ve asked to cancel the contract as we felt we shouldn’t have to pay $1000 to cancel a system that doesn’t work. They’re refusing to cancel it without the fee. I expressed my concern that the system is disarming itself at night. I asked what I’m supposed to do if someone was to come into our house at night while the system has disarmed itself and they told me that was a completely hypothetical situation and they would not be held responsible for that situation. I was literally in tears asking how to get out of the contract because we could not continue to spend 45+ minutes a day troubleshooting on the phone and they told us that’s the only thing we can do.

Jody Caruth

August 31st, 2020 Maple Valley, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We were sold a package by the salesman for AMP smart that said he would give us a significant discount if we agreed to advertise by having the AMP signs out front of the house. He also told us it was a 2 year contract. We found out shortly after that we are paying the full price on a 60 month contract and a much higher price than other more reliable security companies are offering and got NO discount for advertising for them. In addition they failed to mention that they take weeks to come out and resolve equipment failures. They also did not mention that the front door camera has a very small data limit on it so after about 2 weeks of the month it no longer saves the video from the front door camera which leaves us unprotected to provide proof of any issues at the door with package theft or break in attempts. The customer service spends all their time trying to distract you and it takes 3 days to even speak with someone higher up in the "Loyalty" department. DO not use this service.

David Hyers

April 21st, 2020 Knoxville, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

After 5 yr contract. An agent came by and said they were up grading the system. I asked about cost. He said no additional cost. When finished he asked me to sign a document that was labeled as "System Inspection/ma addendum to show that he had done the work. No mention of the small print contained in the document saying I was signing up for 5 more years.. I feel totally humiliated and deceived. They told me when calling about it I signed the document, (Too bad)

Lance

January 22nd, 2020 Morrison, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Don't do it! Horrible company! Technicians will do a shotty job installing and leave damage to your home, aside form not picking up after themselves. techs have no expertise or legitimate training. Same as hiring the teenager down street and just letting them do whatever. Once installed pray you never have any issues (unlikely), because in most areas they only have 1 part time technician with a highly limited availability to do maintenance and repairs.

Ron Durfey

September 6th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I began my service with AMP because a friend worked for them. I have appreciated their partnership in helping our family feel safe within our home. They have responded quickly with lockouts or technical assistance.

Eic Edewaard

September 4th, 2019 Columbia, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Don't do it. There are a lot of good security companies out there. Ignore the shill reviews. No matter what your experience you're in it for the long haul. They will hold you to that contract. We received misleading information and our sales guy tried to use us to sell to our neighbors, even after we told him we didn't consent to being used as a testimonial. After a move Amp tried to sell us a new system and renew our contract. They would not let me buy a system without a new contract or procure my own system. As a result I've been paying for no service for over 2 years. The customer service people are nice enough but ultimately powerless to help. They just keep saying "but the contract..." and that is as far as you'll ever get. Amp was recently sued by the State of TN for their practices and Amp settled.

mary

July 31st, 2019 South Bend, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have the worst customer service and service call. I have made an appointment three times and each time they do NOT have the right equipment with them, or they can't figure out what is wrong. Three weeks ago I set up another appointment where they were going to ship an item to me so it would be here when tech arrived. Guess what?? Nothing arrived, there for i had to cancel for the third time! The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Whoever owns this business clearly does not know what is going on. seems to me its all about money. I think I may cancel this company and go back to ADT since I never had problems with them, and was going for this new company because i was told it was owned by a family. Well, I was told wrong. Im sure some customers are happy with them, not this girl.

Georgetta Nelson

April 23rd, 2019 Frankfort, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had this Security company for 4 years. Can not wait to finish up next year, noncontact from them at all during this time. A salesman came to my door right after my husband passed and I was concerned about my safety. Have not been satisfied with the service but know I am stuck for another year

Barry

April 16th, 2019 Charlotte, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was on the fence about getting it installed because of the cost and length of contract, but I said ok and the slick sales person had the installer at my home in 1 hour at 7pm left at almost 11pm. I was promised all batteries in sensors would be replaced they were not video doorbell camera worked 2 days. I called mister slick salesman and 2 days later doorbell was replaced it worked for 2 weeks and quit. I received notices that my camera was not working I sent 2 emails to customer service and they never responded. This was one of my biggest mistakes I have ever made. I think I may legally have a case because I didn’t get 3 hours to refuse never mind 3 day right of refusal.

AMP Smart Logo

Reply from AMP Smart

Apr 16, 2019

Barry, I appreciate you letting us know about your current concerns. I’d love the opportunity to help make things right and figure out the best possible solution(s) with you to achieve this. We definitely do not want any of our customers feel the way you’ve expressed. I’m not able to find a specific account based on the first name. Can you email me your account number or address associated with your account to please? I’m the Director of Customer Service and I’ll work hard to help make things right for you.

Breanna

April 1st, 2019 Atlanta, GA

Amp security ran my credit without my permission. Forged my signature and told me it would come off my credit yet it is still there. It’s company like this you got to watch out for. Very shady.

Naomi Beckman

January 13th, 2018 Savannah, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was excited to get the system with all the fancy things you can do with it only to be HIGHLY disappointed. After we had it installed, the very next day experienced troubles. Window malfunctions, bad connections, then our door bell camera went completely dead. Tech who installed it came back 3x only to go back to Virginia where he came from, which is nowhere near here. Had to call another tech out here, that is in a 4hr drove time (no local techs) to replace camera less than 2weeks of having the system. Now having more window malfunctions and completely over this company. Wish I had did more research before getting into a extremely long contract like this. DO NOT GET AMP!!!!

C. Cooper

January 9th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love our AMP Smart system! My daughter loves to check the weather on the panel every morning before school..it's fun for her, but they system provides peace of mind to my wife and I while making our lives easier.

Taiya New

January 9th, 2018 Santaquin, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

AMP Smart has the top of the line equipment. The doorbell camera is something I was missing with my previous alarm company. What's great about AMP is they truly care about their customers and strive to exceed your expectations as a customer. I will be a customer for a long time to come.

kimberly sporing

December 8th, 2017 Lexington, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very unhappy ^ months later still have not paid my buy out every time I call the check has been mailed. Every time I set my alarm one sensor does not work so I call there is no Tech support in so I am paying for a system that does not work and so what is the point of having it. With such poor service and not paying the buy out I should be able to Cancel for crappy service. Yea and good thing I am not having a emergency since the first time I called tonight The guy did not ask my name or pass word put me on hold then hung up on me. I am going to see how you get out of this next step complaint on better business bureau

JBk

September 5th, 2017 Gonzales, LA

AMP reps were out in my neighborhood in Schenectady NY pushing this product. I fell for it to the tune of $50/month plus an activation fee of $99. The equipment was free but was very basic, consisting of a panel, a glass break, and two door sensors. The technicians had it installed in an afternoon. Anytime I'd call their customer service people were super nice. However I didn't recall signing a 60-month contract; when I called to cancel 2 years later, I had to pay $750 termination feel, which I was happy to do, as it saved me paying off the remainder of the 60-month contract. Never again!