American Pest

9.1

LAST UPDATED: September 9th, 2021

Founded in 1925, American Pest is a top rated pest control company for homes and businesses throughout Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. The company offers protection against over 30 general pests including spiders, rodents, ticks, bed bugs, termites, and mosquitoes. The American Pest control team consists of over 160 brand ambassadors who are service professionals in pest prevention and customer experience.

In addition to over 160 expertly trained pest professionals, American Pest control has four board-certified entomologists, eleven associate certified entomologists, and over 30 state-certified technicians. Services provided by American Pest are QualityPro & Quality Pro Green accredited by NPMA, the industry’s highest mark of excellence, for their integration of non-toxic methods and low impact EPA-labeled products.

The company credits its longstanding tradition of excellence to its people, who provide quality pest control solutions to over 15,000 homes and businesses and millions of square feet of federal offices and institutions throughout the area.

Video Customer Reviews

Marina Hranac Customer Review Video About American Pest

Marina Hranac

The Good

• One-Time or Seasonal Coverage
  • Simple Pricing
  • Pest Free Pledge Guarantee
  • Variety of Services

One-Time or Seasonal Coverage

Unlike most pest control companies, American Pest conrol offers seasonal coverage or one-time treatments. The company has a variety of regular service options, so you can choose which coverage works best for you.

Simple Pricing

American Pest control offers safe, affordable and environmentally friendly pest solutions with quarterly and monthly plans to get rid of common pests. Customers can choose from the plans listed below:

• Preferred Care: Pest Control
    • Monthly Service
    • 6–7 Services per Year
    • Exterior Mosquito and Tick Spraying

Pest Free Pledge Guarantee

All regular services include the pest free pledge guarantee, which states if pests return between services the company will send a technician to return at no additional cost.

Variety of Services

American Pest control offers treatments for a variety of pests including ants, mice, rats, spiders, stinging insects, carpet beetles, interior fleas, stink bugs, cockroaches, house centipedes, millipedes, silverfish, earwigs, and 30 plus home invading pests. They also have a mosquito and tick program for their active months and offer k9 bed bug inspection and bed bug heat treatments for single-family homes.

The Bad

Limited Service Area

American Pest control only services Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia, which does limit the service area. If you are located in those areas, this will be an excellent fit for you.

The Bottom Line

American Pest seems like an all around great company for your pest control needs, as long as you are in the greater Washington, D.C. area. The company promises to rid of pests by hiring service professionals, providing world-class training, and applying Integrated Pest Management practices that are environmentally friendly. American Pest control offers various pest control services for both residential and commercial properties.

For more information, customers can contact American Pest control by phone or visit the website and request a free pest control estimate.

American Pest received the Award of Excellence from the United States Department of State in 2004 and for six years was a recipient of the Angie's List Super Service Award (2011-2016). American Pest also boasts an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB business). If you’re looking to get rid of unwanted pests, the company guarantees you will be satisfied with its services.

Call our recommended rep over at American Pest below.

not_listed_location

American Pest Frequently Asked Questions

Is American Pest licensed to perform pest control? What kind of credentials do the technicians and the company have?

American Pest has the appropriate state licensing to conduct pest control operations in the Mid-Atlantic region. In addition, American Pest technicians are individually state-licensed pesticide applicators for the areas covered by their service routes.

What kind of regulations are in place for the pest control products used by American Pest?

Your safety is the company's number one priority. At American Pest, we only use pest management products that have been tested and labeled for domestic and commercial use by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). From there, the products are only used in strict adherence to their safety and MSDS labels.

What information will I need on-hand when booking an appointment for service?

To ease the process of scheduling, tell the customer service representative (CSR) if you are a new client. If you are already on service, please have your account number ready. The representative will also ask if you are a homeowner, property owner, or tenant and what type of pest(s) you are interested in having eliminated. Finally, the CSR will need to know whether you require an emergency service (within 24 hours) or whether the pest problem can be treated during your next service.

When will an American Pest technician arrive at my home?

Ninety-five percent of our customers do not need to be home during routine, preventive pest control services. For interior needs, American Pest schedules appointments at two-hour intervals. This means its first appointment of the day is scheduled between 7:00–9:00 a.m. The last appointment of the day is scheduled between 4:00–6:00 p.m.

How quickly can you get here?

American Pest understands that some pest problems develop quickly and without notice. For emergent needs, the company strives to arrive the same day or very next day. You can speak to a company representative to learn more about same-day service options.

Can American Pest help me to identify an insect?

Yes. The Entomological Department at American Pest is equipped with a lab and the resources to identify your insect. Simply place your insect(s) in a small container and mail it to the company. Do not use resealable plastic baggies or envelopes as the bugs will be crushed into indistinguishable pieces. Enclose your full name, email, and phone number so that the company can get back to you with its findings. Allow 3–5 business days for a response as American Pest is often busy handling similar requests.

How will American Pest protect the privacy of my business?

American Pest understands that brand reputation is of utmost importance, which is why client confidentiality is a top priority. American Pest professionals will maintain your privacy from the very first contact and in all practices and procedures during the normal course of doing business with you. To that end, the company takes every relationship seriously and will extend its policy of confidentiality to all clients.

What kind of guarantee does American Pest offer?

American Pest stands by its Pest Free Pledge: "If Pests Return, So Do We!" In the event that an unexpected pest problem arises before your next regular service, American Pest will come out and take care of it at no additional cost to you.

I have children and pets. What does American Pest do to keep families safe during interior treatments?

Most pest issues originate from the exterior of the home, which is why the company takes an outside-in approach to controlling and preventing problem pests. Occasionally it becomes necessary to target interior areas of the home for pests such as ants, mice, or bed bugs. Rest assured, American Pest takes every precaution to ensure that you and yours are not at risk while technicians work inside and around your home. If/when interior service is needed, the company will use EPA-approved materials in targeted areas, using the least amount of product necessary to combat the issue.

Does American Pest provide LEED-certified pest control solutions?

Yes. American Pest understands the rigors involved in achieving LEED Green building certification. That’s why the company has employed a LEED Green Associate to help you to achieve your green building goals. American Pest's LEED-certified Pest Control Solutions can help provide you with two credits toward your LEED certification.  Contact the company to learn more.

Message from
American Pest

Founded in 1925, American Pest is a top-rated pest control company for homes and businesses throughout Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia.

The American Pest team consists of over 160 brand ambassadors — specialists in pest prevention and customer experience.

The company credits its longstanding tradition of excellence to its people who provide quality pest control solutions to over 12,000 homes and businesses and millions of square feet of federal offices and institutions throughout the area.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

bookmark

Featured Review

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

American Pest is a great service using qualified and trustworthy technicians. They are speedy and punctual. Best of all they are economical. Scheduling is always easy and their staff is friendly and helpful. I trust that my pest issues are resolved everytime with American Pest.

bookmark

Featured Review

Roman Christiansen Pleasant Grove, UT

American Pest Control came to my house and took care of all my pest problems! Everything went smoothly and the guy was great!

Stephanie Anderson, IN

We had a yearly package with them a few times when we lived in florida and they were phenomenal! You can't beat the prices, service , and best of all it worked, no creepy crawlies lol! Florida was terrible for spiders (poisonous ones too), even scorpions. My only wish is that american pest was here in indiana where we currently reside. We provide our own now by using a DIY pest store but were not professionals..much better having american pest!

Anonymous Washington, DC

We just picked them based on reviews and you know, once we tried them once we were sold and kept using them. They're very responsive, the scheduling is very flexible and they're nice. They come on an occasional basis and it was beyond what we've expected. They're always and quick and they definitely know their stuff. We are pet owners and one of our concerns was hiring a pest company who was sensitive to pets being in the house and using products that are safe for them and American Pest has always been very responsive and honest in their answers about what they use and everything they use has been wonderful for our pets and safe.

Reply from American Pest

Thanks for the wonderful review! We can't agree enough about the importance of keeping your pets safe. Our staff is full of pet lovers and we would never want to put any of our customer's furry friends in harm's way. With that being said, our technicians know the best treatment options to consider when there are pets in the home and if it is necessary to remove the animals from a specific part of the property temporarily, we will let you know.

Oct. 19th, 2018

Carolyn & Jeff Chevy Chase, MD

They're very responsive whenever I've contacted them. I used monthly visit program for the household exterior and interior and I'm getting good results. We do have a pesky problem that is difficult to resolve which is silverfish and they have told me that this is historically a difficult pest to completely eradicate. So they've been very straightforward with me about it, but they haven't been able to completely eradicate it. They explained what they're doing, I have information about the product used. They follow the safety procedures and they're thorough when they come. My service provider has always been very courteous and also takes care to cover his shoes and explains to me what he's doing.

Diane Ashburn, VA

I've been using them for years so and they do a great job. Whenever I call, they're very prompt. They're courteous, they're knowledgable, and if I have an issue right then, they solve it. I never had a problem and if I have a problem they rectify it. I had a terrible problem with bugs at one point and they came in and analyzed the situation and they totally got rid of it. They do exactly what to do. They're just very good quality people. If I'm not home they leave me a note and tell me exactly what they've done and what treatment they've made. They always knock on the door and talk to me. They're just very, very unusual. It's like dealing with a small town company. They give you that personalized service.

seanth1995 Columbus, GA

The best part of American Pest is the option for monthly service and that I don’t need to be home during my appointment. The technician gives great feedback on how I can continue to keep pests away.

Reply from American Pest

Seanth, thank you for the great review! We are so happy you were pleased with your pest control services and we can’t wait to work with you again soon!

Jul. 29th, 2021

Kay Annapolis, MD

the company came out and gave a realistic assessment of our needs. Their price seemed fair in comparison with other companies so I signed on with them. I am very pleased that I did. They are reliable. I get an e-mail in advance of their visits so if I have a specific need or question, I can be there when they arrive. Their work is comprehensive. Their people are professional, courious and helpful. They have taken care of problems when we have called. As a result of their excellent service, I have continued to use them. I recommend the company very highly.

Rokhsree Washington, DC

The customer service was attentive and with my request they have what worked well. They used checmicals that essentially damage the nervous system of those insects and in a certain concentration could be sometimes dangerous to children and I've requested this before, but I would like them to put those signs that say if you pass this area don't bring your dogs and stuff for twenty four hours.

Matt Gainesville, VA

They're very responsive. Every time we've had an issue outside our normal kind of maintenance cycle, they've been very quick to get somebody out here. They're very easy to get ahold of. I've never had a problem with them. It's always the the same guy that comes out here, I've gotten to know him by name. He's great, he's non intrusive but he does a great job of making sure that everything is taken care of. They seem very transparent and honest about what they're putting in the product and with the treatments they are able to provide.

Marina Luz Washington, DC

They are extremely responsive. They are very thorough and listen to what we need and they're always willing to help with whatever arises. They've always seems really appreciative of our business. They even gave us free tickets to a baseball game one year just as a thank you for our continued business. They seem to really appreciate us then that makes us appreciate them even more.

Sue Ann Centreville, VA

Whenever I've had any issues they always come immediately and return. They're just very responsive and very reliable. I get an indoor and outdoor service that works perfectly. When they come out and do the service, if you have any questions, they're really great about telling you what they are doing. They answer all your questions and are very considerate.

Kim Stafford, VA

They are easy to get ahold of. You don't wait on hold forever and they can get out to your property relatively quick. I wish I had a few less bugs but the pest control does a good job. I think all the technicians that come to my house are very friendly and polite. They're very efficient and are able to treat at least the outside portion when we're not home which is helpful for our very busy schedules.

Anonymous Brandywine, MD

They really look that my needs are met. It was a great service and professionalism. They're always accommodating as far as setting appointments and setting any follow up appointments that are needed. We are able to do a lot of communication through email including sending pictures, discussing issues, and then they quickly come up with the resolution within a matter of days. They've been very attentive to where I live, how that impacts my pest control needs, and make necessary adjustments, even if it includes information me about how best to do my efforts.

Anonymous Washington, DC

They're always very responsive if you reach out on the phone and their technical staff that come on house visits are always excellent. The quality is consistently excellent. I have a plan where I can reach out between visits for specific requests and that also has worked well. I think our best experience has been with the technicians who service our house, they are consistently friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating.

Patricia Bowie, MD

Customer service follows up and they stay true to the contract and are reliable. The service was very good and they're consistent. They give me a report as soon as they leave when I receive it immediately by email. I felt like they didn't try to oversell and I really appreciate the immediate reports as soon as they leave. They always notify me at the front door when they're walking around the house and I've been really happy with them.

Trudy Silver Spring, MD

They've been nothing but stellar with their responses. If something doesn't look right, they will even come out even if I'm not scheduled for my monthly visit. The technician I have, he's been coming here for years. He is stellar. Kudos to him because he definitely sells the company. I've never had an issue with him so that's a great asset they have.

Carl Lanham, MD

You get what you pay for, it's a very good service from a good company. They notify you within a reasonable amount of time before they come out and they are flexible with your schedule. The technicians are very knowledgeable, I like that they produce reports that tell you what chemicals they are going to use. And, now we have no pests, thanks to them.

Reply from American Pest

Thanks for the detailed review, Carl! We're happy to hear that you have had a good experience with our company and that you see the value in the services we have provided you. Should you have any issues between your regularly scheduled services, we hope that you will give us a call. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences with others!

Oct. 19th, 2018

Courtney Oxon Hill, MD

The initial service was to eliminate a roach infestation of a property that I had just bought and they did exactly what they said they were going to do and they did it in reduced time and I was happy with the results. The only thing that might be improved would be the online options, as I recall it was difficult to update like my credit card information if I remember it correctly.

Jewel Chantilly, VA

The young lady that comes out to take care of it is always very cordial, polite and if I'm available or can speak with her, she always asks how things are going and if there any areas that would need any additional attention. I'd say she's very attentive in the way she works and is conscientious and the way she carries out her responsibilities and duties.

Judy Arlington, VA

They are always easy to get ahold of. If I need to make a change to the service time, they're very accomodating. The people who've come to my house have always been very thoughtful. They are careful of the house and always ask what my issues were. Just attentive to take care of the problems. The issues that I've had they've always talked me through what they thought the problems were and I live in an old home and there are some recurring issues but they always check carefully to see what needs to be taking care of.

Anonymous Silver Spring, MD

They're very responsive and appear to be concerned. They're professional, aware of the problem, responsive, and resonably priced. I didn't get the results I was expecting but I'm not holding the company responsible for that. It is very wooded area and we had a lot of rain. I like the fact that they're willing to come back when it appears that the mosquitoes are not diminishing and I'm hoping that, ultimately the number of nest and breeding will go down.

Elaine Herndon, VA

I like to get to know the person that is out there. I want to be here when they look over something and I don't want everything killed so we got that straightened out and we've had good service and I know the people that are giving us the service. There's a lot of trees down from the termites and you can't get to all the termites but so far nothing's showed up and you know it's been several years so they're doing the job. They let us know when they come, but sometimes we're not here. I just want to be here or know when they're here. The technician is very knowledgable. When he set everything up, we discussed different habitats and which plan to do. But there's a new person that comes about every other time and I've met several people. I expect them to come back and they've left the company or they're gone. It's pretty tough to learn everything when you're only going to be there for a short period of time.

Maria Lorton, VA

Very courteous. They always check with me to see if there are any problems. They spend as much time as needed treating the house and will come back if additional treatment is needed. All of the employees know what they are doing and seem to be happy to help.

Susan Bowie, MD

Great service. Thorough, friendly. Prompt return visits. I've had a lot of pest companies and they are the best I've ever had. They have been doing our service for years. I can't believe I spent money in the past on the bigger named companies.

Anonymous Leesburg, VA

Only because of the guy who comes here to service me. I did not like the dictatorial tone f oneyour written correspondence, but on the fone your answerer is as nice and helpful as can be . A full day service window needs to be revised to max a half day.

Nichole Mount Rainier, MD

American Pest and their customer service representatives have always been very helpful and have answered all of my questions. I feel that the quality of the service and the price all work well together. Gave me exactly what I needed.

Robert Frederick, MD

The customer service has been flexible to respond to my requests and knowledgable and effective. We got a general pest barrier to do with ants and we had an issue with rodents. The results have been effective and successful. I'm scheduled for another treatment at the end of this month and I'm looking forward to it.

Larry Ashton, MD

They always notify me of upcoming appointments. They give good feedback, are very coureous, give thorough service, and they put up with my dog. They're prompt, they comunicate well, and they do what they say they're going to do.

Laura Haymarket, VA

They are always wanting to help and when we need them to come back and do something they are always willing to do that. The technician who comes is always very personable and always wants to know how everything is going. He's very thorough. We are very happy with the service.

Jian Herndon, VA

It's not perfect. Sometimes I feel insects in my house. But the company said I could notify them if I have anything they can come inside my house to do best control. I'm satisfied with the outside of my house, but the inside of the house, I still feel some insects sometimes.

Charlotte Gainesville, VA

I haven't had a lot of customer service issues. I think I've only had to call once. The program I used kept the bug count down significantly throughout the summer months. The person who does our service is usually very friendly and I appreciate his good manners.

Clifton Washington, DC

The first time the pest person came, it didn't get rid of all the ants in the kitchen. 3-4 weeks later they came back, and it still didn't fix it. Later they came back and did a heavier hit and we haven't had a problem since then. At first, they gave me a time window of 6-7, which I found outrageous. I spoke to someone and they gave me a new window of 1-3.

James Fredericksburg, VA

I'm usually home when they come, and they always answer my questions. Everything they've been doing has been working well for me. The person who comes out has always been friendly and helpful. I just hope the rates don't go up, because I'm retired I'd probably cancel if the prices went up more.

Shari Washington, DC

I think I receive an internet ad or something. I was pleased with the contact's response, with his service and then also there are couple of outstanding technicians. They're very responsive. I've been very satisfied with the service.

Jackie Washington, DC

They are very thorough and they get back to you as soon as possible. The service I got was for mice for a year and it worked. After about 2 1/2 or 3 months, there was no sign of mice. The technician is very nice and very thorough.

Andre Washington, DC

They're very responsive. Anytime that I need to re-schedule or anytime that I have issues, they're always there and provide me the service that I need. I have had mice in my house for five years. They were able to capture them and finally rid my house of mice.

Jim Columbia, MD

They are just always very prompt, very thorough and explained everything to us in a way we can understand it. We've had lots of different pests around and they generally take care of everything. We had a termite problem about ten years ago and it got cleaned up. Everything has been good and we appreciate the service we get.

Jen Warrenton, VA

They just always responded quickly and kindly when I've needed additional assistance. I did not have a specific problem it was just overall pest control and prevention. I am satisfied with the results. I actually like the people I've spoken to on the telephone and I really like the technicians they sent out as well.

Courtney Silver Spring, MD

Anytime I have any questions, I could call them and they would answer. We had a problem with the bugs and stuff like that showing up around the house and when they started spraying we haven't had a problem. I'm happy with the service I got, it wasn't anything above and beyond but it I'm satisfied with what I did get.

Linda Arnold, MD

When you call about the issue, they come right away and they always come out. Even if I'm not here or don't answer the door I know they're going around they spend time outside doing what they need to do, they just don't get in the car and drive off. The technicians are friendly and seem to take everything very seriously.

Anonymous Lorton, VA

There has been a couple of times when I've had ot call back for a few things. Their service is great but I'm not always here when it's getting done so there are some things that I want to have a part in. Part of the service is that the person is home. They're usually pretty responsive but I've had to stay on top of it. If it's something outside out of the usual, it's a clean up. The program we have is every three months and we haven't notived any significant worsening so I would say that it's working.

Jon New Windsor, MD

They definitely do a very good job with follow up in addition to being flexible about times for appointments, that kind of thing. I have a property that has multiple buildings and I thought I would be a problem and it would be extra. But they were very helpful and kind and figured out how we could do all the buildings. Customer service wise, they're very attentive and very flexible.

Jim Lanham, MD

The gentleman comes around and we make sure that can do whatever. If there's any more problems or if you ever need anything inside, he's concerned and makes sure all the pests are gone. We have good results. Even the bugs that get inside die, so it's really great. They're very good and thorough. Always on time and always comes.

Anonymous Olney, MD

They've always been very nice on the phone. I haven't really had to call them very often, but they seem to be eager to help me out if I have any issues. They came out in a timely way and fashion and they told me what the problem was and they fixed it and they've been maintaining it on a regular basis.

Anusha Annandale, VA

The customer service was very responsive and answered all of my questions. We got tick and mosquito services and we got the results we expected. It was great. They had good communication and the actual service itself worked. Great customer service and everything worked.

Amy Ashburn, VA

They're very responsive when I call. They're not a long wait time and they always answer my questions and come back out quickly. We've only had to have them come back in between for ants, we get the service for quarterly. We've got what we expected.

Sherri Alexandria, VA

I really like the young man that comes out every visit. He knows how I like things and when I want to have a test done. He's very reliable, very clean, very nice man. I've been very happy with the responses when I've called. I can usually get an appointment very quickly. So overall, I've been very happy.

Ken Bristow, VA

They are eco friendly and they actually came to our door to get our business. They are just very considerate. We haven't had any issues and they always come back. They work out everything with you. If there is ever a billing issue or anything they're just great to work with.

Egons Garrett Park, MD

They've always been very responsive. The people that come to our house, they've been here repeatedly, so they know the history. We are very happy with them. We think they did a great job and we are very happy with the result. We feel they were very professional and did a wonderful job.