Best Company Guarantee Chase Logo

Chase

7.1

LAST UPDATED: February 1st, 2023

With a history tracing back to 1799, Chase is one of the oldest and largest banks in the United States. In 1958, Chase launched the first credit card in New York City, and today the company offers a variety of different cards.

Chase credit cards are known for their excellent rewards, including competitive spending rates and a generous points program. The company provides both co-branded and Chase-branded credit card options, and its Chase Sapphire Reserve® card is one of the most popular travel rewards credit cards in the industry.

Continue reading for pros and cons, as well as Chase credit card reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Chase Ultimate Rewards Program
  • Co-branded Credit Cards
  • Low Introductory APRs
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Chase Ultimate Rewards Program

Chase Ultimate Rewards® is the name of the company’s points program used for all Chase-branded rewards credit cards.

Chase Ultimate Rewards points can be redeemed in a variety of ways, including:

• Cash back
  • Travel
  • Gift cards
  • Amazon and Apple purchases

Points are generally worth 1 to 1.5 cents.

The following Chase-branded cards earn Chase Ultimate Rewards:

• Ink Business Preferred®
  • Ink Business Unlimited®
search

Highlight: Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card

The Chase Sapphire Reserve card is one of the most popular rewards credit cards in the industry. Offering exceptional travel rewards and benefits you can get three times the points on eligible dining and travel expenses.

Through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal you can redeem your points and use the program’s travel-booking tool, powered by Expedia. The travel-booking tool allows you to purchase travel accommodations and other expenses with accumulated points instead of cash.

Co-branded Credit Cards

Chase offers a variety of co-branded credit cards, allowing you to earn more rewards and points with certain airlines, hotels, stores, etc. Chase is partnered with, and offers co-branded cards from, the following companies:

• Southwest Airlines
  • IHG Hotels
  • Disney
  • Starbucks
  • Amazon Prime

Co-branded cards generally allow you to earn points on all purchases which can then be redeemed for specific perks and purchases. For example, you can earn 1 percent in Disney reward dollars on all purchases made with the Disney® Visa® Card; reward dollars can be redeemed toward most anything at Disney or Disney locations.

Low Introductory APRs

Many Chase credit cards, including some co-branded cards, offer zero percent intro APRs for a certain number of months after opening a new card:

• The Chase Freedom Unlimited® and Chase Freedom Flex℠ credit cards offer a 0% intro APR for 15 months from account opening.
  • The Disney® Premier Visa® and Disney® Visa® credit cards offer a 0% promotional APR for 6 months on select Disney vacation packages from date of purchase.
  • The Ink Business Cash® and Ink Business Preferred® credit cards offer a 0% intro APR for 12 months from account opening.

After the introductory/promotional period, your APR will typically range from 14.24 percent to 23.49 percent depending on your card and creditworthiness.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

To help you keep track of your credit and manage your credit score, Chase offers free credit score monitoring through its Credit Journey program.

You don't have to be a Chase customer to access Credit Journey, but you must make an account which will provide you with a variety of credit monitoring services:

• Check your score — get your credit score at any time without affecting your credit
  • Protect your credit — protect yourself from identity fraud
  • Receive real-time alerts — get alerts when your credit score changes
  • Get personalized insights — learn how you can build and maintain your credit

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Chase reviews are 4 or 5 star, with customers highlighting generous rewards, excellent customer service, and helpful online tools and features. In addition, many customers mention that they have had their Chase card for years (upwards of 30 years) and are still pleased with its features.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Jeremy Balls from Kaysville, Utah

“I have several rewards credit cards through Chase. They are straightforward and easy to understand and use. Never had any issues. It is nice that I can move my approved credit between credit cards.”

Poor reviews and complaints are limited, and the majority are outdated. But, some customers do mention high fees and difficulty being approved for a credit card even with a high credit score.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Foreign Transaction Fees
  • No Secured Credit Card Option

Annual Fees

The majority of Chase credit cards have an annual fee. Fees range from $49 to $550, depending on the card.

The popular and highly rated Chase Sapphire Reserve card has the highest annual fee of $550, but offers exceptional rewards for both dining and travel purchases. In general, cards that offer generous rewards will have a higher annual fee.

If you would like to avoid an annual fee, there are Chase credit card options available. But it is also important to note that a good to excellent credit score may be required to qualify, particularly if it is a co-branded card.

Foreign Transaction Fees

Some Chase credit cards, such as the Chase Freedom Unlimited card, do charge a foreign transaction fee of 2 to 5 percent on purchases made outside of the U.S. or in a different currency within the U.S. (e.g., buying a product online from Canada).

Chase does offer a variety of cards that don't carry this fee, but there are also other credit card issuers that don’t charge a foreign transaction fee on any cards, such as Discover or Capital One.

No Secured Credit Card Option

If you are looking to build or rebuild credit, a secured credit card can be a viable option for you. However, Chase does not offer a secured credit card. Thus, if you have bad credit or a limited credit history, you may find it difficult to qualify for a Chase credit card, especially for the use of building/rebuilding credit.

The Bottom Line

Chase is well known for its generous rewards program, and offers a variety of cards with competitive cash back offerings or point redemption systems. You can choose from a wide selection of Chase-branded or co-branded credit cards, providing you with more flexibility in how you use your credit and what rewards would be most beneficial to you.

With a wide selection of co-branded hotel, travel, and airline cards, you can save money on travel, but it is important to note that Chase does charge a foreign transaction fee of 2 to 5 percent on some cards.

Chase customer reviews are mostly 4 and 5 star. Customers frequently confirm the generous and flexible reward offerings and are quick to praise the company’s customer service. In addition, many customers mention that they have had their Chase credit card(s) for a number of years, suggesting that Chase could be a good and reliable long-term credit option.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Sharifay Sharif Salt Lake City, UT

The chase credit card has its own section in the Chase mobile app or Chase website so to pay off the credit card you use one of your checking accounts which is easy and fast the first time I had a freedom chase credit card they said if I use the whole 500 I would get an extra 200 so I did to build up my credit and they gave me my 200 which was good for my credit because it helped it rise up about like 64 points. they monitor the credit well good And you can also see your credit through the Chase app and how you’re doing what you’re spending your credit card on and you get these points where you can turn them into cash you’ll get cash back so if you get like 20,000 points does $200 cash back every every hundred point is a dollar You can either use it to pay for things or get cash back and it’s easy to get the points they’ll tell you exactly what you need to spend your money on to get these points they be like if you go to Walmart you’ll get this much if you connect your Hulu Netflix entertainment think you’ll get this much so I connected my Hulu Netflix all entertainment television Services I watch on there.. so that it is easier for me to just pay back everything Before my due date.

Matt Martin Sacramento, CA

Chase has been there when others have not. As our nest egg has grown and shrunk come rain or shine...We appreciate their faith and no doubt they will be a great part of our financial success - something we've worked hard for. We bank with Chase everyday and use them for checking, savings, investing and for credit. They have provided advisors and sincere assistance to help us meet our financial goals.

Alex Indianapolis, IN

I am of two minds with Chase. I really enjoy the rewards points and varied interest options, and we run many expenditures through Chase cards specifically to reap these. My Chase Amazon Visa is only surpassed in traffic by my straight-up debit card. Being savvy to the game takes a lot of thought and a smidge-above-average comprehension of interest rates, and I am convinced that the benefits I am receiving are subsidized by many more consumers who don't quite get it. They seem to make it confusing on purpose. This is in no way unique to Chase, but there are some stand-outs who seem to have a modicum of decency in this regard above the mean. Paying, tracking expenditures, access to counselling, payment arrangements, and other customer-friendly interactions are there to be had, however. I have active credit accounts with seven institutions, and I would place Chase in third place (poet and don't know it). The credit union has my back. The regular bank wants my business. Chase is minimally deceptive. Downhill from there. For the Amazon Prime member, you've likely got a Chase and/or a Store card. Neither can really be declared the best. Depends on your particulars. I do really appreciate that when an unrelated fraud shut down my checking account, Chase was happy to extend clemency on late fees and interest until it was ironed out, without demanding proof or other hassles. For new credit or a rollover, this is probably not your first stop. I do love the heavy duty cards they issue. I go through bank cards 5 times faster! Wish they had more brick-and-mortars but what can you do?

Carissa Preston

Easy to use the app and the credit card itself is durable strong. Payment plans are not to bad to pay. They call you everyday if you do not pay on time.

Robbin Nelson Castle Hayne, NC

Just started using Chase and I have had no problems at all. The customer service is great, the statements are easy to follow. I would recommend this card to anyone.

Ladie Lavender Eastsound, WA

I have two credit cards with them for years, one is getting good points and couple of times when I fell behind with my payments due to.loss of job, they worked with me to help me catch up. Which is why after closing all other credit cards, I will keep Chase cards.

Dellise Lauderdale Louisville, KY

Been a customer with Chase over 15 or more years, people always have been helpful and kind.with there service.

Gema Ortiz Orem, UT

Not found of their fees, but if you can stay on track, their credit cards are good. I love my Amazon Prime with them. I can get points back, and great deals. Love their intro promo of $50 off when you signup.

China Mike Clinton, ME

Very good card. Very good service. Reliable customer service is great. Is really nothing much I can say about disliking the company except for that interest rates. But what are you going to do? But besides that great company

G.J. Boise, ID

We use are Chase credit card for Amazon only. We had one issue with Chase someone used are card for a order that we never authorized. When I contacted customer service they were very helpful and immediately reversed the charges and issued us a new card. There was no hassle to prove that it wasn’t are charge. Some credit card companies make you feel like a criminal if you dispute a charge. I am very happy with this company.

Andrew Weckerly

I always get right through to a real person when I call in. Their vacation protection, price drop protection, and extended warranties have all saved me money and been pretty painless experiences. Ultimate rewards is also a really seamless experience that provides tremendous value when transferring to travel partners.

larry Fort Myers, FL

I have been a long time customer of Chase. always good service

Jnt_421 Bethel Park, PA

I have had my card for a few years now. I did apply for a credit line increase after 6 or 7 months, and was so sure that I would get it that I agreed to let them do a hard pull on my credit... they denied my increase and my score dropped a little with two of the bureaus because of the hard inquiry. They made up for it, sort of, by more than doubling my credit line once I reached 1 year with them. It was an automatic increase, so no credit pull this time. I had some issues with fraudulent charges and when I contacted them, they took care of it immediately. It was quite difficult and time consuming getting all my bills transferred to the new card, but the credit thieves were to blame for that, not Chase. I have been able to monitor my credit and I get updates anytime there is a transaction on my account. Overall, I am satisfied with my Chase card.

J Dean Bozeman, MT

Super bummer about our experience with this company. We have 3 Chase cards and have been excellent clients for over 10+ years. We had a large, fraudulent charge on our account in April and spent literally 100s of hours and many trips to town for faxes and certified letters to get it remedied only to be completely scammed. Chase did NOTHING. We followed their advice to a T and were told by multiple agents it was on their end that the ball was dropped, yet we could not get any resolution for the scam charge on our card. We are getting a jumbo home loan and will need to keep these accounts open until that happens for credit purposes. But the minute we are able, we will be cancelling our accounts and taking our business elsewhere. Chase did not stand up for our rights, did not reward our long-term loyalty and did nothing to support us in a very stressful time.

Andrew Martinez Los Angeles, CA

I had no problem with Chase. I mislead by the advertisements to open an account with Chase. All the great deals only applies to those with direct deposit. This wasn’t a problem just a disappointment. Other than that I have no complaints about Chase.

Lauren Taylor Austin, TX

The website and the physical banks are very reflective of the outdated mindset and the lack of innovation or modernization. The physical banks tend to be old and unkept looking (I have been to several across the US) and the bankers tend to dress and act outdated as well. They serve cheap candy and have old furniture. It is not as modern as Amex or other competitors. The website is outdated and difficult to use. The third-party customer service for the travel rewards is a really bad system - the hotels are very low class or basic (marriot, hiltons, etc) and the customer service (if you need to cancel or change your flight) is only a number (no email or chat) and the wait is always extremely long. The last three times I had to call, one time the wait was so long I was told 'call back later' and the other two times it took over an hour on each call to do a simple date change with my flight. Essentially the target customer is very basic and lacks innovation and creative thought, and perhaps that is Chase's goal.

Jewelleah Kempers Las Vegas, NV

Chase has an amazing selection of credit cards available and have many incentives and bonuses they offer. However, they did bump my rate up one day when I had never been late or missed a payment so I was upset that I went from a 12% rate to a 24% rate overnight simply due to being late ON ANOTHER ACCOUNT, A NON CHASE CREDIT CARD. It had nothing to do with Chase but they jumped on the bandwagon to charge me more the very first chance they had.

I dislike synchrony bank this much -- I created an account just to leave a review Atlanta, GA

Sooooooooooooo, yeah. Just stick with best companies when you are getting credit cards. Many years ago Chase Freedom took over my old credit card. And they've been great. The interest rates are reasonable, so when you pay the bill, it makes a difference (compared to other cards I have). The rewards are really fair, and you can get cash, payments toward your balance, or gift cards for everything from grocery stores to big box stores and hotels. It's easy to use, easy to pay, and every accepts it.

Phyllis Green Laguna Beach, CA

I have been with Chase for several years. Their representatives always there to greet you and offer assistance on anything you need. Their offices are so modernized I felt I had walked into some Future Time Line or Zone! Their big indoor ATM's for customer to use are so beneficial...They pretty much eliminate any waiting lines. I appreciate the fact they make me feel safe by not releasing my funds to anyone who is not familiar to them or not a regular payee from my account or they suspect possible Fraud. They will alert me if concerned. I feel like 'Big Brother is watching me!'

Jen Paxman Lehi, UT

I currently have several Chase credit cards. I love Chase, they are easy to work with and have great customer service. I love their bonus points and start up programs. We are able to travel a lot with our family because our credit card points pay for airfare, rental cars, hotels and cash. Their bills are easy to pay and I like that all of your cards are available to see on one page of the website so that I can see all of my balances at once. I also had a card stolen once and they were so helpful and overnighted me a new one at no charge to me. I would highly recommend Chase cards to anyone.

Allyx Hilterbran Blanchard, OK

These people are awful and they’re criminals using loopholes to succeed. I have a small bank account, and then two big bank accounts. Capital One is much better overall, and I’m sure a homeless man would be too. I can’t express my dismay for Chase enough.

ENRIQUE GODINEZ Norwalk, CA

Zero Customer Service, trying to get one of their credit cards, with an "excellent" FICO score above 790, was not good for these folks. I dump them and ended -up with better credit cards with very comfortable lines of credit.

Thawkes2017 AL

I loved the ease of being approved! I was approved for $1500 off the bat. My credit score is around 650 and they took a chance on me and it’s helping my score go up.

Deanna Greco Murphy, NC

I have been a client of Chase for a long time. Rates seem a bit high. The website is convenient to see all accounts at Chase with one log in. Customer service has always been helpful.

Annie Naperville, IL

The credit card seems ok. Once I pay it off - I will likely cancel it though. Reasoning: CHASE is one of those huge companies that use money to lobby against issues that are important to me. I left CHASE bank checking/savings accounts for a local credit Union and Aspiration Bank a while back. It was hard since I used CHASE for everything - so many automatic bill payments I had to change! I really didn't like their customer service - and they seem to charge you more fees if you have less money (my account with ex husband who had lots of money was charged so much less than when I got divorced and had my own account ... I felt betrayed ... way to help newly single woman :/ ). The only difficulty I have is when people want to send me money via Zelle.

Robert Walker Houston, TX

I had set up a savings account, because of the return that I would get. After a month, I noticed that the monthly interest had dropped and was one of the lowest that I had. Then over time, I noticed that access to the account was becoming more and more difficult to access. Then the final straw was I could not access my account because of password. Citi Bank had no, way of resetting the password. Ended up calling customer service and closing my account out. I figure if I can't access the money then they don't need my money. They closed out the account, I had to wait two weeks before I received the check. Now I need to wait another three weeks before my bank will credit my account.

Mariana Tornero Alegria Hercules, CA

Great banking service and customer service. My cards work great everywhere and the app makes it easy to see my account. Very fast when it comes to losing my cards and receiving replacements.

Cathy Lee Gettysburg, PA

I have had 2 Chase cards - both with Chase being the banking entity for another company. I have been pleased with Chase in both instances - their customer service has been easy to deal with. In addition, if you need to go into a brick and mortar bank, they're nationwide.

Chad Edgar Wentzville, MO

I love my Chase card it's so easy to access use ATMs anywhere also has overdraft protection has reoccuring payments on anything or just a personal savings account throw $2 a month into it every month or something awesome place to direct deposit your money's I do thank you Chase

Mick Salem, OR

Generous CL with auto CLI's. Better than average unlimited everyday cash back and APR. No annual fee. Website is easy to navigate with minimal clicks and manual responses required to make payments. My "go to" primary card. My only wish would be for no foreign transaction fee. As I've never had occassion to contact customer service I can't comment, but overall... not a single complaint.

Kim Tempe, AZ

I have 2 Chase credit cards and everything is running smooth so far. Interest rates are definitely on the higher side (even with excellent credit) but I do what I can to avoid it as much as possible. There was an incident recently where my credit card information was stolen and they instantly called me to verify the purchases as they recognized the activity was not normal. The process through the fraud department was fast and easy. Did not have to worry at all about covering those charges. I carry a Southwest airlines card and an Amazon card.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I own the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card and I love it. I purchase all of my Marriott hotel stays on this card so I can receive the double bonus points. This card has helped me reach platinum Marriott status quicker than I could have imagined. This card has great customer service & I love the $85 for a free night every year! That reward is fantastic!

Jennifer Hargrave Gilbert, AZ

The fraud protection alone is worth its weight in gold. Our credit cards, both personal and business have been compromised and Chase was on it! I was out of the country on vacation and woke up to a message from Chase regarding a purchase for concert tickets for $1200.00. Chase denied the charge, temporarily closed my account and notified me immediately. All was handled quickly and professionally and my vacation resumed. I will continue to be a Chase customer and encourage my children to open their first accounts with them.

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

I use a Chase card now and have had no complaints! When I signed onto the card I got a ton of sky miles which was amazing. And now paying my bills is so easy. Also, there was once an unauthorized charge on my card and they found it. They alerted me and put a block on my card right away until they spoke with me and we got it resolved immediately because I got a text and email about it.

KW Seattle, WA

We have a credit card through Chase. What can I say... it's just like any other credit card (high interest rate and high late fees). So far customer service has been mostly responsive. I backed a Kickstarter project in 2019 and used my Chase card to pay for it. However, the project developer has turned out to be quite flakey and never sent the backers the product we paid for, so I reached out to Chase to try to get a refund. Chase claims their hands are tied and they cannot provide a refund due to the length of time that has now passed. I found their response too generic and somewhat uncaring for the strange situation. Other people who backed the same project have claimed that they got a refund from Chase, so I don't understand how they make their decisions. At any rate... their product (a credit card with rewards) works for my needs. Aside from the refund they refused to give me, they've been there when I needed them.

J. D. Maney Pensacola, FL

I applied for and received a Chase credit card through Amazon. It was one of the best decisions I ever made as I shop at Amazon frequently and can choose to use my Chase card to pay for my purchases. And from Amazon, I get monetary rewards for using it! Can't beat that. Oh, and Chase ALWAYS verifies my identity whenever I log in to my account. That makes me feel very, very secure in their ability and willingness to go the extra mile to make sure my account is secure!

Joseph Zajac Hazleton, PA

I've used Chase for a number of years. I used to have a car loan with them that was at a very fair rate. Most recently I opened a Chase credit card that ties to Amazon and I'm very pleased with it. It gives me 3% cash back on purchases with Amazon and it's also available for use at any retailer or anyone that accepts the Visa card. In addition the signature Visa that I obtained came with a sign on bonus of $100 in Amazon credit which is now actually increased to what I understand to be $150. It's a great way to shop Amazon and the card also allows you to break payments into six even parts with Amazon shopping that have no interest so it becomes the same as cash. It's a really good promotion and a very fair credit card and payment arrangements structure.

Tony's Babygirl Staton MO

Ok credit card but charged are varied and some hidden...

Matt Harvey Minneapolis, MN

Chase banking is great. Thier credit card division is totally separate and they don't communicate with the banks. Great service from the banking ...... Meh service from the credit card Thier app is very easy to use and very handy.

Jepheth White Fairfield, CA

I had a chase for a long while until they got rid of the free checking account and made us pay a monthly fee. I liked the convenience of having all my Chase accounts at my fingertips through the app.

Miguel Suarez Van Nuys, CA

They help people regardless of heir credit history . They offer overdraft for emergency and gives you a better service in your account if you are a veteran. Get free money order cashier check and other stuff

courtney tennant Salem, VA

Chase has the best customer service of any other credit card company I have been customers of. When I thought my card info had been stolen the lady on the phone quickly disabled my card and assured me they would get their team right on investigating.

Toni Montuori

I have been a chase card holder for many years and there are very good reasons for this. Most recently the heightened security features that protect me and my account. My favorite feature is receiving a text alert that my credit card was just used even before I’ve left the store. This gives me great comfort with regard to fraud.

Bee Endicott, NY

I have banked with Chase for years. I closed by checking when I moved away from the branch, but I kept mt credit cards. Did you know that Chase and Amazon are partners? Now you know. They offer a lot of reward points with their cards.

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

I have two credit cards through Chase-United Mileage Plus & Amazon Prime- and for the most part they are easy to deal with. I've been a customer of Chase for 20 years and the only complaint I've had is when I wanted to transfer my United Mileage Plus card, with its associated credit line of $76,600 to the Amazon Prime Visa, they treated me as if I hadn't been a long time customer with an already high credit limit with them, but I had to fill out a credit application just like a first-time applicant with them, which lowered my credit score, before they'd issue a card,

Roxana Perez ,

I have had Chase for over 4 years and I have no complaints! Their programs are accessible, costumer service is always very responsive, and they have wonderful offers. My card specifically, for example, allows me to use it internationally with no transaction fees.

Carol Kalvik

I've had this same card for over 15 years with only one small billing problem. One call to Chase's customer service phone number and my issue was resolved immediately with apologies, speed, and much professionalism. I have cancelled other credit cards due to billing issues but the Chase card I recommend whenever the subject comes up.

Beverly

They are able to give you clear information. They have excellent security services and quickly respond if something does not seem correct in a transaction. They will help you if you need to get a refund from a company that hesitates to do so.

Mandi Smith American Fork, UT

Chase gives us all the opportunity to transfer money super quick and easy from one account to another. I always transfer money from my account to another and there are no complications, just a few simple buttons. This company is very trustworthy and reliable. There is never a problem with Chase.

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

We have had our Chase credit card for many years. The interest rate is comparable to other credit card companies, there is no annual fee and they have excellent customer service. We have been very satisfied with our Chase card.