Chase Logo

Chase

8.1

With a history tracing back to 1799, Chase is one of the oldest and largest banks in the United States. In 1958, Chase launched the first credit card in New York City, and today the company offers a variety of different cards.

Chase credit cards are known for their excellent rewards, including competitive spending rates and a generous points program. The company provides both co-branded and Chase-branded credit card options, and its Chase Sapphire Reserve® card is one of the most popular travel rewards credit cards in the industry.

Continue reading for pros and cons, as well as Chase credit card reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Chase Ultimate Rewards Program
  • Co-branded Credit Cards
  • Low Introductory APRs
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Chase Ultimate Rewards Program

Chase Ultimate Rewards® is the name of the company’s points program used for all Chase-branded rewards credit cards.

Chase Ultimate Rewards points can be redeemed in a variety of ways, including:

• Cash back
  • Travel
  • Gift cards
  • Amazon and Apple purchases

Points are generally worth 1 to 1.5 cents.

The following Chase-branded cards earn Chase Ultimate Rewards:

• Ink Business Preferred®
  • Ink Business Unlimited®
search

Highlight: Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card

The Chase Sapphire Reserve card is one of the most popular rewards credit cards in the industry. Offering exceptional travel rewards and benefits you can get three times the points on eligible dining and travel expenses.

Through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal you can redeem your points and use the program’s travel-booking tool, powered by Expedia. The travel-booking tool allows you to purchase travel accommodations and other expenses with accumulated points instead of cash.

Co-branded Credit Cards

Chase offers a variety of co-branded credit cards, allowing you to earn more rewards and points with certain airlines, hotels, stores, etc. Chase is partnered with, and offers co-branded cards from, the following companies:

• Southwest Airlines
  • IHG Hotels
  • Disney
  • Starbucks
  • Amazon Prime

Co-branded cards generally allow you to earn points on all purchases which can then be redeemed for specific perks and purchases. For example, you can earn 1 percent in Disney reward dollars on all purchases made with the Disney® Visa® Card; reward dollars can be redeemed toward most anything at Disney or Disney locations.

Low Introductory APRs

Many Chase credit cards, including some co-branded cards, offer zero percent intro APRs for a certain number of months after opening a new card:

• The Chase Freedom Unlimited® and Chase Freedom Flex℠ credit cards offer a 0% intro APR for 15 months from account opening.
  • The Disney® Premier Visa® and Disney® Visa® credit cards offer a 0% promotional APR for 6 months on select Disney vacation packages from date of purchase.
  • The Ink Business Cash® and Ink Business Preferred® credit cards offer a 0% intro APR for 12 months from account opening.

After the introductory/promotional period, your APR will typically range from 14.24 percent to 23.49 percent depending on your card and creditworthiness.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

To help you keep track of your credit and manage your credit score, Chase offers free credit score monitoring through its Credit Journey program.

You don't have to be a Chase customer to access Credit Journey, but you must make an account which will provide you with a variety of credit monitoring services:

• Check your score — get your credit score at any time without affecting your credit
  • Protect your credit — protect yourself from identity fraud
  • Receive real-time alerts — get alerts when your credit score changes
  • Get personalized insights — learn how you can build and maintain your credit

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Chase reviews are 4 or 5 star, with customers highlighting generous rewards, excellent customer service, and helpful online tools and features. In addition, many customers mention that they have had their Chase card for years (upwards of 30 years) and are still pleased with its features.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Jeremy Balls from Kaysville, Utah

“I have several rewards credit cards through Chase. They are straightforward and easy to understand and use. Never had any issues. It is nice that I can move my approved credit between credit cards.”

Poor reviews and complaints are limited, and the majority are outdated. But, some customers do mention high fees and difficulty being approved for a credit card even with a high credit score.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Foreign Transaction Fees
  • No Secured Credit Card Option

Annual Fees

The majority of Chase credit cards have an annual fee. Fees range from $49 to $550, depending on the card.

The popular and highly rated Chase Sapphire Reserve card has the highest annual fee of $550, but offers exceptional rewards for both dining and travel purchases. In general, cards that offer generous rewards will have a higher annual fee.

If you would like to avoid an annual fee, there are Chase credit card options available. But it is also important to note that a good to excellent credit score may be required to qualify, particularly if it is a co-branded card.

Foreign Transaction Fees

Some Chase credit cards, such as the Chase Freedom Unlimited card, do charge a foreign transaction fee of 2 to 5 percent on purchases made outside of the U.S. or in a different currency within the U.S. (e.g., buying a product online from Canada).

Chase does offer a variety of cards that don't carry this fee, but there are also other credit card issuers that don’t charge a foreign transaction fee on any cards, such as Discover or Capital One.

No Secured Credit Card Option

If you are looking to build or rebuild credit, a secured credit card can be a viable option for you. However, Chase does not offer a secured credit card. Thus, if you have bad credit or a limited credit history, you may find it difficult to qualify for a Chase credit card, especially for the use of building/rebuilding credit.

The Bottom Line

Chase is well known for its generous rewards program, and offers a variety of cards with competitive cash back offerings or point redemption systems. You can choose from a wide selection of Chase-branded or co-branded credit cards, providing you with more flexibility in how you use your credit and what rewards would be most beneficial to you.

With a wide selection of co-branded hotel, travel, and airline cards, you can save money on travel, but it is important to note that Chase does charge a foreign transaction fee of 2 to 5 percent on some cards.

Chase customer reviews are mostly 4 and 5 star. Customers frequently confirm the generous and flexible reward offerings and are quick to praise the company’s customer service. In addition, many customers mention that they have had their Chase credit card(s) for a number of years, suggesting that Chase could be a good and reliable long-term credit option.

View Best Credit Card Companies

Bee Endicott, NY

I have banked with Chase for years. I closed by checking when I moved away from the branch, but I kept mt credit cards. Did you know that Chase and Amazon are partners? Now you know. They offer a lot of reward points with their cards.

Tim Johnson Eureka, IL

Best high limit cards to get, wish there loans against credit card was able to be more than 24 months, personal loans against credit card are comparable with bank if not better.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

I use my Chase credit card for my Amazon and online purchases. I earn Amazon credits for my purchases which allows me to rebates via purchase discounts and free shipping. I now handle all transactions or communication online -- saves time, paperwork, and stamps.

Stephanie Byrd Miami, FL

I bank with 3 different companies and I would have to say that Chase is my favorite. Chase makes banking easy and efficient with the best mobile banking and best customer service. From those large aspects to the design of a long lasting card, I really love Chase.

Andrew Weckerly

I always get right through to a real person when I call in. Their vacation protection, price drop protection, and extended warranties have all saved me money and been pretty painless experiences. Ultimate rewards is also a really seamless experience that provides tremendous value when transferring to travel partners.

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

I have used the chase credit card for the past 20 years. The card has worked well for me and allows full payment of charges each month. without penalties. Their service center was very responsive one time when I lost the card. They were able to shut down my card services and issue me a new card within 24 hours. They are also very responsive when there are charges that seem spurious they have rejected the charges until I gave them a call. I appreciate this type of attention to make sure that others don't charge on my card and get away with it.

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

I switched to chase credit cards a few years ago and have been happy with my switch. The rates are good, and the customer service is good as well. I have had my number stolen quite a bit and every time it is a fast service getting it taken care of and a new card is always overnighted so I don’t have to go without.

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

I have two credit cards through Chase-United Mileage Plus & Amazon Prime- and for the most part they are easy to deal with. I've been a customer of Chase for 20 years and the only complaint I've had is when I wanted to transfer my United Mileage Plus card, with its associated credit line of $76,600 to the Amazon Prime Visa, they treated me as if I hadn't been a long time customer with an already high credit limit with them, but I had to fill out a credit application just like a first-time applicant with them, which lowered my credit score, before they'd issue a card,

Greg Francis Saratoga Springs, UT

Chase has a variety of credit cards to meet the needs of every individual. Whether you want hotel points, and general use points, there is something for you. I have found out use of the Chase Saphirre card to be the most flexible, but know that as our needs change, our we can change cards, with the exact same experience for paying my bill, getting customer service, etc. Chase has saved us on multiple occasions with fraud, and I really appreciate that.

Bessie B Gilbert, AZ

The credit card bill is easy to read and understand. They send out the statement early enough that you have plenty of time to pay it before it is overdue. Their customer service is curteous. I haven't ever had any problems with them so not sure how they do resolving problems.

austin pliler Layton, UT

I have had a Chase credit card for a long time. They have a ton of useful features and their website. It’s really easy to use and track my spending. I have had a couple of fraud cases with My credit card and the team cleared it up really quick and it was a great experience.

Cindy H Gilbert, AZ

I have a Chase Sapphire credit card and at first it was wonderful. I always got a person if i called. Now, the customer service is horrible and automated. It charges an annual fee which i was okay with since the customer service was so good but now they want you to do everything online. There don't have customer service available 24/7. I got a fraud alert in the middle of the night and called only to go through a bunch of automated cramp which ended in them saying that no one was available to take my call because they were closed.

CoasterRider Show Low, AZ

Chase credit card services have been great to me over the years. They've investigated fraud claims and have always been fair and timely.

Heather Milke Olney, MD

Have had my Chase credit card for more than 30 years. Excellent company. They provide lots of options for helping to minimize your credit card expenses.

Danny Bowen Eagle Mountain, UT

Just got a message this morning that someone was trying to purchase something outside of the state I live in. Chase was able to catch it quickly and notify me of fraud. Thank you Chase!

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

I was brought into Chase when they acquired Washington Mutual many years ago. I still have WashMut checks that work! Chase now has most of my CCards and my mortgage. Very happy with them and love their phone app.

Jennifer Ashby Lehi, UT

I have been very happy with chase bank and credit cards. They are helpful on the phone or in person. We used chase to transfer a large amount of money for a down payment and trusted them completely.

Tommy McCarlie Chicago, IL

I have a chase credit card and I've never had any problems with them. I give them 4 stars because I feel a bank/company of their size should produce a better app for the folks like me who pay off their cards on their phones. Get on it Chase tech team!

Roxana Perez ,

I have had Chase for over 4 years and I have no complaints! Their programs are accessible, costumer service is always very responsive, and they have wonderful offers. My card specifically, for example, allows me to use it internationally with no transaction fees.

Jen Paxman Lehi, UT

I currently have several Chase credit cards. I love Chase, they are easy to work with and have great customer service. I love their bonus points and start up programs. We are able to travel a lot with our family because our credit card points pay for airfare, rental cars, hotels and cash. Their bills are easy to pay and I like that all of your cards are available to see on one page of the website so that I can see all of my balances at once. I also had a card stolen once and they were so helpful and overnighted me a new one at no charge to me. I would highly recommend Chase cards to anyone.

Steven Klaproth Phoenix, AZ

I love my Chase credit card that gives me points towards free flights with Southwest Airlines. I love their website and online services.

Naomi Hollywood, FL

This bank saves LIVESS. No one can’t get past the security, and this is overall the best bank to bank with. All assets are safe

Amber Thompson Show Low, AZ

The number one thing that I like most about having a chase credit card is that it is connected with my bank. It is one click away to make a payment.

Mary Alice M. Orem, UT

I have a chase card right now and I really like the rewards program. Chase has been good to work with so far. I would recommend chase cards for rewards.

CoachTrista Saratoga Springs, UT

We love our Chase credit card and the benefits and perks that come with it. The perks are flexible too! We have been Chase customer for at least 5 years now.

Kent Logan, UT

I have a Chase credit card associated with a certain online shopping account. It has been great to have it set up to autopay monthly from my bank account, and gives me the peace of mind of having my money one step removed from online risks.

Samantha Holland Denver, CO

We have a Marriott rewards card through Chase. We have had no issues whatsoever with them. The fees are affordable and the rewards are great. They have always been helpful whenever assistant is needed. We have definitely been pleased taking our business there.

Ericka P Collins, GA

Chase Bank is a great institution to be a part of. I like that I know I can find a Chase Bank almost anywhere I go in the United States. I also like the convenience of the Chase mobile app for monitoring my money and paying bills.

Abby Wallin Denver, CO

I have been using Chase since I started college as I moved away from my hometown bank. While the overdraft fees were annoying at first, now that I have a steady income I don't deal with them anymore. My only complaint is that they can be hard to reach over the phone, but when I lost my debit card while I was abroad the agent was SO helpful and had a new one shipped out to me within 2 days!

Irinna Danielson Riverton, UT

I've had a credit card with Chase for years. It's convenient because I bank with them too and being able to have all of my banking needs at one place is nice. I feel like I haven't been taken by surprise with updated fees or huge interest rates. Chase has been a good provider for my credit needs and I've been able to use my card for travel, higher end purchases, and some monthly purchases as well. No issues on my part, which is nice.

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

I've had my Chase card for three years now and I love it. I had to dispute a charge and the service agent was so helpful. They went above and beyond to help me feel better about the situation and they immediately opened up an investigation for me. I would definitely recommend them!

Baj5527 Brigham City, UT

I have a Chase Card that is tied to purchases at Amazon. I don’t use it too much but it does give me some money back when I do use it. So if I use it I can get a benefit or rather there is some cash off my next purchase at Amazon.

Mick Salem, OR

Generous CL with auto CLI's. Better than average unlimited everyday cash back and APR. No annual fee. Website is easy to navigate with minimal clicks and manual responses required to make payments. My "go to" primary card. My only wish would be for no foreign transaction fee. As I've never had occassion to contact customer service I can't comment, but overall... not a single complaint.

Kim Tempe, AZ

I have 2 Chase credit cards and everything is running smooth so far. Interest rates are definitely on the higher side (even with excellent credit) but I do what I can to avoid it as much as possible. There was an incident recently where my credit card information was stolen and they instantly called me to verify the purchases as they recognized the activity was not normal. The process through the fraud department was fast and easy. Did not have to worry at all about covering those charges. I carry a Southwest airlines card and an Amazon card.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I own the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card and I love it. I purchase all of my Marriott hotel stays on this card so I can receive the double bonus points. This card has helped me reach platinum Marriott status quicker than I could have imagined. This card has great customer service & I love the $85 for a free night every year! That reward is fantastic!

Jennifer Hargrave Gilbert, AZ

The fraud protection alone is worth its weight in gold. Our credit cards, both personal and business have been compromised and Chase was on it! I was out of the country on vacation and woke up to a message from Chase regarding a purchase for concert tickets for $1200.00. Chase denied the charge, temporarily closed my account and notified me immediately. All was handled quickly and professionally and my vacation resumed. I will continue to be a Chase customer and encourage my children to open their first accounts with them.

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

I use a Chase card now and have had no complaints! When I signed onto the card I got a ton of sky miles which was amazing. And now paying my bills is so easy. Also, there was once an unauthorized charge on my card and they found it. They alerted me and put a block on my card right away until they spoke with me and we got it resolved immediately because I got a text and email about it.

Jun Chen Rockville, MD

I have credit card from Chase. It is easy to use and have good rebate for purchase, especially in international trail, it is safe to use.

Louisena Osias Tallahassee, FL

Excellent customer service! Also, l love the app where it's so much easier to transfer money to my accounts.

Karen Ramirez

They are responsive and when I have had a concern about an item on my card, they help resolve the issue for me.

ben a Provo, UT

Always been good to work with. Good credit cards (got few iPhones with my points). Also great for travel (no transaction fees, etc).

Mary Johnson Flower Mound, TX

Chase makes banking easy and offers all the services we need. Their website is very user-friendly. We love earning points on credit card purchases!

Wendy Hunter Riverton, UT

I've had a Chase card for many years and I've never had any issues with it. They have a great rewards program that we've utilized over the years.

Dalyn Bellingham Monument, CO

Great online platform and awesome credit card sign up bonuses. The ongoing rewards for each credit card aren't the best though.

Karen DeMann ,

Chase offers a bonus when you get the credit card. It has been a great benefit to get a free flight with points. I use the chase Sapphire and Southwest cards.

Scott Tucson, AZ

Their 2% cash back card has been great! It works everywhere except costco. It is the best rewards credit card I can find for total cash back on any purchase.

Tiffany Vollmer Midvale, UT

I have had Chase credit cards for almost 20 years now. They are incredible to work with. I am so grateful I have had this service to help me in the past and the future for whatever life throws at me.

Keld Sperry Lehi, UT

I really enjoy some of the credit card deals that you can get on Chase. I really enjoy the Amazon credit card through them. The points are quick added to your account after each month. The automatic payment setup was a really straightforward and I will be using them for years to come.

Seth S Sandy, UT

I've been a Chase customer since 1998 and have enjoyed being a customer. This was my first credit card and I've been pleased with the customer support and service. I also appreciate the rewards program/s they offer.

Carol Kalvik

I've had this same card for over 15 years with only one small billing problem. One call to Chase's customer service phone number and my issue was resolved immediately with apologies, speed, and much professionalism. I have cancelled other credit cards due to billing issues but the Chase card I recommend whenever the subject comes up.