Best Company Guarantee Chase Logo

Chase

8.1

LAST UPDATED: November 24th, 2021

With a history tracing back to 1799, Chase is one of the oldest and largest banks in the United States. In 1958, Chase launched the first credit card in New York City, and today the company offers a variety of different cards.

Chase credit cards are known for their excellent rewards, including competitive spending rates and a generous points program. The company provides both co-branded and Chase-branded credit card options, and its Chase Sapphire Reserve® card is one of the most popular travel rewards credit cards in the industry.

Continue reading for pros and cons, as well as Chase credit card reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Chase Ultimate Rewards Program
  • Co-branded Credit Cards
  • Low Introductory APRs
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Chase Ultimate Rewards Program

Chase Ultimate Rewards® is the name of the company’s points program used for all Chase-branded rewards credit cards.

Chase Ultimate Rewards points can be redeemed in a variety of ways, including:

• Cash back
  • Travel
  • Gift cards
  • Amazon and Apple purchases

Points are generally worth 1 to 1.5 cents.

The following Chase-branded cards earn Chase Ultimate Rewards:

• Ink Business Preferred®
  • Ink Business Unlimited®
search

Highlight: Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card

The Chase Sapphire Reserve card is one of the most popular rewards credit cards in the industry. Offering exceptional travel rewards and benefits you can get three times the points on eligible dining and travel expenses.

Through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal you can redeem your points and use the program’s travel-booking tool, powered by Expedia. The travel-booking tool allows you to purchase travel accommodations and other expenses with accumulated points instead of cash.

Co-branded Credit Cards

Chase offers a variety of co-branded credit cards, allowing you to earn more rewards and points with certain airlines, hotels, stores, etc. Chase is partnered with, and offers co-branded cards from, the following companies:

• Southwest Airlines
  • IHG Hotels
  • Disney
  • Starbucks
  • Amazon Prime

Co-branded cards generally allow you to earn points on all purchases which can then be redeemed for specific perks and purchases. For example, you can earn 1 percent in Disney reward dollars on all purchases made with the Disney® Visa® Card; reward dollars can be redeemed toward most anything at Disney or Disney locations.

Low Introductory APRs

Many Chase credit cards, including some co-branded cards, offer zero percent intro APRs for a certain number of months after opening a new card:

• The Chase Freedom Unlimited® and Chase Freedom Flex℠ credit cards offer a 0% intro APR for 15 months from account opening.
  • The Disney® Premier Visa® and Disney® Visa® credit cards offer a 0% promotional APR for 6 months on select Disney vacation packages from date of purchase.
  • The Ink Business Cash® and Ink Business Preferred® credit cards offer a 0% intro APR for 12 months from account opening.

After the introductory/promotional period, your APR will typically range from 14.24 percent to 23.49 percent depending on your card and creditworthiness.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

To help you keep track of your credit and manage your credit score, Chase offers free credit score monitoring through its Credit Journey program.

You don't have to be a Chase customer to access Credit Journey, but you must make an account which will provide you with a variety of credit monitoring services:

• Check your score — get your credit score at any time without affecting your credit
  • Protect your credit — protect yourself from identity fraud
  • Receive real-time alerts — get alerts when your credit score changes
  • Get personalized insights — learn how you can build and maintain your credit

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Chase reviews are 4 or 5 star, with customers highlighting generous rewards, excellent customer service, and helpful online tools and features. In addition, many customers mention that they have had their Chase card for years (upwards of 30 years) and are still pleased with its features.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Jeremy Balls from Kaysville, Utah

“I have several rewards credit cards through Chase. They are straightforward and easy to understand and use. Never had any issues. It is nice that I can move my approved credit between credit cards.”

Poor reviews and complaints are limited, and the majority are outdated. But, some customers do mention high fees and difficulty being approved for a credit card even with a high credit score.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Foreign Transaction Fees
  • No Secured Credit Card Option

Annual Fees

The majority of Chase credit cards have an annual fee. Fees range from $49 to $550, depending on the card.

The popular and highly rated Chase Sapphire Reserve card has the highest annual fee of $550, but offers exceptional rewards for both dining and travel purchases. In general, cards that offer generous rewards will have a higher annual fee.

If you would like to avoid an annual fee, there are Chase credit card options available. But it is also important to note that a good to excellent credit score may be required to qualify, particularly if it is a co-branded card.

Foreign Transaction Fees

Some Chase credit cards, such as the Chase Freedom Unlimited card, do charge a foreign transaction fee of 2 to 5 percent on purchases made outside of the U.S. or in a different currency within the U.S. (e.g., buying a product online from Canada).

Chase does offer a variety of cards that don't carry this fee, but there are also other credit card issuers that don’t charge a foreign transaction fee on any cards, such as Discover or Capital One.

No Secured Credit Card Option

If you are looking to build or rebuild credit, a secured credit card can be a viable option for you. However, Chase does not offer a secured credit card. Thus, if you have bad credit or a limited credit history, you may find it difficult to qualify for a Chase credit card, especially for the use of building/rebuilding credit.

The Bottom Line

Chase is well known for its generous rewards program, and offers a variety of cards with competitive cash back offerings or point redemption systems. You can choose from a wide selection of Chase-branded or co-branded credit cards, providing you with more flexibility in how you use your credit and what rewards would be most beneficial to you.

With a wide selection of co-branded hotel, travel, and airline cards, you can save money on travel, but it is important to note that Chase does charge a foreign transaction fee of 2 to 5 percent on some cards.

Chase customer reviews are mostly 4 and 5 star. Customers frequently confirm the generous and flexible reward offerings and are quick to praise the company’s customer service. In addition, many customers mention that they have had their Chase credit card(s) for a number of years, suggesting that Chase could be a good and reliable long-term credit option.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Shannon Biassou Tallahassee, FL

If you don't have Chase, what are you doing. Chase is a great card company. Their mobile app is extremely simple to use, they have a money transfer ability built in (Zelle) and the add interest payments to your savings account.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

I have been a Chase member for about a year now. I have greatly benefitted from being a member of this bank. They have great rewards when it comes to using your credit card, more so than other credit options. I would 100% recommend this to anyone who needs a card to build credit and are looking for great rewards too.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Chase credit card does what it is supposed to do for a credit card, but I find that it does not offer many benefits at my level. It would be nice to be offered some of the benefits other companies offer.

Prenisha Tallahassee, FL

One of the most comprehensive job search databases out there. Easy to drill down into areas of specialty, useful email alerts. I've used it a few times, getting my next employment through them.

janice dorvil Tallahassee, FL

I love Chase. The representatives are always so sweet. You don't have to worry about scams. And they are always checking to make sure things are okay and update you about changes.

courtney tennant Salem, VA

Chase has the best customer service of any other credit card company I have been customers of. When I thought my card info had been stolen the lady on the phone quickly disabled my card and assured me they would get their team right on investigating.

Toni Montuori

I have been a chase card holder for many years and there are very good reasons for this. Most recently the heightened security features that protect me and my account. My favorite feature is receiving a text alert that my credit card was just used even before I’ve left the store. This gives me great comfort with regard to fraud.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

They always get me with the introductory offers, but their line up is still super competitive depending on your needs.

Andrew Weckerly

I always get right through to a real person when I call in. Their vacation protection, price drop protection, and extended warranties have all saved me money and been pretty painless experiences. Ultimate rewards is also a really seamless experience that provides tremendous value when transferring to travel partners.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Chase credit cards are fantastic. They have amazing perks, rewards, and benefits and discounts for students.

Carolina camacho

I was not a fan of Chase when I banked with them. I had to switch to other banks as other banks offered better benefits and deals, and I was able to save more money with other banks. Customer service was mediocre.

Gene Hennigan Houston, TX

Have accumulated over a million points with Chase. Traveled from Hawaii to Kuwait without a problem. They have been quick to resolve fraud issues.

Alexis Mcintosh Tallahassee, FL

Great service helpful staff, would definitely recommend. Amazing banking service! The mobile app is amazing banking at your finger tips

Bee Endicott, NY

I have banked with Chase for years. I closed by checking when I moved away from the branch, but I kept mt credit cards. Did you know that Chase and Amazon are partners? Now you know. They offer a lot of reward points with their cards.

Megan Roper South Jordan, UT

Chase credit card was my first credit card and they were so good to work with. I love that they were willing to give me a credit card with no credit history on my belt. It was because of Chase that I was able to build my credit.

Jen Paxman Lehi, UT

I currently have several Chase credit cards. I love Chase, they are easy to work with and have great customer service. I love their bonus points and start up programs. We are able to travel a lot with our family because our credit card points pay for airfare, rental cars, hotels and cash. Their bills are easy to pay and I like that all of your cards are available to see on one page of the website so that I can see all of my balances at once. I also had a card stolen once and they were so helpful and overnighted me a new one at no charge to me. I would highly recommend Chase cards to anyone.

Jodianna Tallahassee, FL

I like how understanding they can be at times. I appreciate how much they gave me for my credit limit.

Kym Tennant Salem, VA

I like that Chase looks after my account and verifies things when purchases are made in places that I don't usually visit.

Lisa Murphy Newport News, VA

I have an Amazon Chase Card with rewards. This is such a great card with a lot of good information. I love the fact that I get an Experian credit score.

TTeep Smithfield, UT

Chase is a decent credit card. They have good rewards which we like and we pay it off every month so we have never had any issues. We like the protection it gives us on our purchases.

Tim Johnson Eureka, IL

Best high limit cards to get, wish there loans against credit card was able to be more than 24 months, personal loans against credit card are comparable with bank if not better.

Bev Schaffer Henderson, NV

Too many hidden charges!!! Lowered my credit amount when I had a higher balance THEN charged me over limit fees!!!!

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

I have two credit cards through Chase-United Mileage Plus & Amazon Prime- and for the most part they are easy to deal with. I've been a customer of Chase for 20 years and the only complaint I've had is when I wanted to transfer my United Mileage Plus card, with its associated credit line of $76,600 to the Amazon Prime Visa, they treated me as if I hadn't been a long time customer with an already high credit limit with them, but I had to fill out a credit application just like a first-time applicant with them, which lowered my credit score, before they'd issue a card,

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

I use my Chase credit card for my Amazon and online purchases. I earn Amazon credits for my purchases which allows me to rebates via purchase discounts and free shipping. I now handle all transactions or communication online -- saves time, paperwork, and stamps.

Mick Salem, OR

Generous CL with auto CLI's. Better than average unlimited everyday cash back and APR. No annual fee. Website is easy to navigate with minimal clicks and manual responses required to make payments. My "go to" primary card. My only wish would be for no foreign transaction fee. As I've never had occassion to contact customer service I can't comment, but overall... not a single complaint.

Kim Tempe, AZ

I have 2 Chase credit cards and everything is running smooth so far. Interest rates are definitely on the higher side (even with excellent credit) but I do what I can to avoid it as much as possible. There was an incident recently where my credit card information was stolen and they instantly called me to verify the purchases as they recognized the activity was not normal. The process through the fraud department was fast and easy. Did not have to worry at all about covering those charges. I carry a Southwest airlines card and an Amazon card.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I own the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card and I love it. I purchase all of my Marriott hotel stays on this card so I can receive the double bonus points. This card has helped me reach platinum Marriott status quicker than I could have imagined. This card has great customer service & I love the $85 for a free night every year! That reward is fantastic!

Jennifer Hargrave Gilbert, AZ

The fraud protection alone is worth its weight in gold. Our credit cards, both personal and business have been compromised and Chase was on it! I was out of the country on vacation and woke up to a message from Chase regarding a purchase for concert tickets for $1200.00. Chase denied the charge, temporarily closed my account and notified me immediately. All was handled quickly and professionally and my vacation resumed. I will continue to be a Chase customer and encourage my children to open their first accounts with them.

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

I use a Chase card now and have had no complaints! When I signed onto the card I got a ton of sky miles which was amazing. And now paying my bills is so easy. Also, there was once an unauthorized charge on my card and they found it. They alerted me and put a block on my card right away until they spoke with me and we got it resolved immediately because I got a text and email about it.

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

I have used the chase credit card for the past 20 years. The card has worked well for me and allows full payment of charges each month. without penalties. Their service center was very responsive one time when I lost the card. They were able to shut down my card services and issue me a new card within 24 hours. They are also very responsive when there are charges that seem spurious they have rejected the charges until I gave them a call. I appreciate this type of attention to make sure that others don't charge on my card and get away with it.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

Love my Chase Marriott and Southwest Cards. The points are awesome. Makes vacationing very inexpensive!

Rachael Berhan Salt Lake City, UT

I love chase! It's one of my favorite credit card companies! One time I had an issue with getting a new credit card from them which was hard....but for the most par they're great and they have good customer service.

Olivia Hardy Olney, MD

Some Chase Total Checking customers should be able to waive the $12 monthly maintenance fee by having a $500 direct deposit go into the account each monthly statement period. However, The minimum balance to avoid the Chase Premier Plus Checking account’s monthly fee is high. and interest rates are low.

Roxana Perez ,

I have had Chase for over 4 years and I have no complaints! Their programs are accessible, costumer service is always very responsive, and they have wonderful offers. My card specifically, for example, allows me to use it internationally with no transaction fees.

Carol Kalvik

I've had this same card for over 15 years with only one small billing problem. One call to Chase's customer service phone number and my issue was resolved immediately with apologies, speed, and much professionalism. I have cancelled other credit cards due to billing issues but the Chase card I recommend whenever the subject comes up.

Beverly

They are able to give you clear information. They have excellent security services and quickly respond if something does not seem correct in a transaction. They will help you if you need to get a refund from a company that hesitates to do so.

Mandi Smith American Fork, UT

Chase gives us all the opportunity to transfer money super quick and easy from one account to another. I always transfer money from my account to another and there are no complications, just a few simple buttons. This company is very trustworthy and reliable. There is never a problem with Chase.

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

We have had our Chase credit card for many years. The interest rate is comparable to other credit card companies, there is no annual fee and they have excellent customer service. We have been very satisfied with our Chase card.

Sheryl Wilson

We have a low interest rate. The main advantage for why we use this credit card is to earn Southwest Airlines Sky miles. Chase also notified me when a suspicious charge was made on my credit card. They froze my account and sent me a new card right away and refunded the fraudulent charges.

Gioacco Mahopac, NY

They have a great combination of online, automated telephone, and telephone representatives. They also send messages via email and/or text messages if there is any unusual credit activities. They take my security very seriously and I like that.

Lindsey American Fork, UT

I have a Chase Disney Card. It's the best! Definitely recommend it. The bank is very professional, their website is easy to use. The employees are very professional and helpful. I've never been put on hold for too long waiting for someone to answer.

Luke Gibson Provo, UT

My experience with Chase has lasted about eight years now and has been pretty good. For a massive bank corporation, I feel they still do a decent job of good customer service. One thing I really do appreciate about them is their security, I feel they have a lot of great safeguards in place to make recovering from a stolen credit card simple and not scary. Also, their technology is fantastic, in the sense that their smartphone app, website, and frequent new features work well and make things really convenient.

Connie Mayer South Jordan, UT

Chase has been a reliable company for us. We do prefer other cards more, but we do use our Chase card. We have missed a payment before, and if we call them, they fix it for us when we honestly just missed the payment. They are good people to work with.

Michala Tallahassee, FL

Great customer service with a very secure mobile app design

Kibsaim Rebollar Austin, TX

Just recently got a chase card. The rewards program is awesome.

Stephanie Byrd Miami, FL

I bank with 3 different companies and I would have to say that Chase is my favorite. Chase makes banking easy and efficient with the best mobile banking and best customer service. From those large aspects to the design of a long lasting card, I really love Chase.

Greg Francis Saratoga Springs, UT

Chase has a variety of credit cards to meet the needs of every individual. Whether you want hotel points, and general use points, there is something for you. I have found out use of the Chase Saphirre card to be the most flexible, but know that as our needs change, our we can change cards, with the exact same experience for paying my bill, getting customer service, etc. Chase has saved us on multiple occasions with fraud, and I really appreciate that.

Bessie B Gilbert, AZ

The credit card bill is easy to read and understand. They send out the statement early enough that you have plenty of time to pay it before it is overdue. Their customer service is curteous. I haven't ever had any problems with them so not sure how they do resolving problems.

austin pliler Layton, UT

I have had a Chase credit card for a long time. They have a ton of useful features and their website. It’s really easy to use and track my spending. I have had a couple of fraud cases with My credit card and the team cleared it up really quick and it was a great experience.

Cindy H Gilbert, AZ

I have a Chase Sapphire credit card and at first it was wonderful. I always got a person if i called. Now, the customer service is horrible and automated. It charges an annual fee which i was okay with since the customer service was so good but now they want you to do everything online. There don't have customer service available 24/7. I got a fraud alert in the middle of the night and called only to go through a bunch of automated cramp which ended in them saying that no one was available to take my call because they were closed.