Gabb Wireless Logo

Gabb Wireless

Steven Dalby, the founder of Gabb Wireless, struggled to find a phone plan for his teenage son that didn’t include access to social media, internet, and other apps. He also discovered that most major phone retailers only sold high-tech, full featured devices that cost in the hundreds of dollars. That’s when he decided to create a phone that was safe for kids.

Gabb phones are made to look like a regular smartphone but have no internet browser, and no social media. Gabb plans include coverage on a nationwide 4G LTE network. Under the Gabb plan, users receive unlimited talk and text service on a flexible monthly plan to fit the needs of your child.

Simply put, the company mission is three-fold:

• Protect children
  • Connect families
  • Encourage life outside the screen

Gabb Wireless has two plans: the Gabb Plan, for just $19.99 per month (comes with unlimited talk and text) and the Gabb Plus Plan for $24.99 per month. The Gabb Plus Plan includes everything offered by the Gabb Plan with the additional feature of MMS (group and image texts).

The company sells its Gabb Z2 Phone for just $99. The phone looks like a regular smartphone and was developed to be completely safe for kids — no internet browser, app store, or social media access. The price of the phone is very attractive for parents who are looking to avoid costly replacements if their kids' phone takes a trip through the washing machine, is dropped in a lake, or simply lost.

The Good

• Trade-In Program and Birthday Bonus
  • National Coverage Minus Alaska
  • Safety Features to Protect Kids
  • Affordable Phone and Plan
  • Customer Reviews

Trade-In Program and Birthday Bonus

Gabb Wireless offers parents a few ways to save on its phones and plans. Its birthday bonus program gives you a free month of service with a few easy steps. Give a Gabb phone to your child and take a birthday photo with them holding the new phone. Post on your Instagram with certain tags and hashtags and email Gabb customer service with a screenshot and link to your post. Easy! And you get a free month of service.

If you purchased an earlier version of the phone, Gabb Wireless offers a trade-in program, which is a nice feature. Depending on the condition of your Z1 phone, you will receive a $20 or $30 credit towards your Z2 phone.

National Coverage Minus Alaska

Kids, like everyone, need a phone with reliable service. Gabb phones are built on the back of the nation’s most reliable network and offer great cell phone service coverage. Coverage is offered throughout the United States and customers can enter their zip code on the Gabb Wireless website to view whether their area is covered.

Hawaii is included in Gabb Wireless’ cell service coverage; however, the company does not currently offer any coverage in Alaska.

Safety Features to Protect Kids

The cell phone market for kids is growing, and there are many options now for parents and guardians to choose from. Gabb Wireless’ phone offers several safety features to keep kids safe — no internet browsing, no social media, and limited apps to encourage life off the screen.

One of the things that Gabb Wireless says it is preventing with its phone’s limited features is cyberbullying. One in three kids is a victim of cyberbullying and social media is one of the main platforms where it occurs. While cyberbullying is a complicated issue, Gabb Wireless can help with its lack of social media access on its phone. It also keeps kids safe by not offering internet browsing.

Affordable Phone and Plan

Gabb Wireless’ phone is $99 and can only be used on its service plan for $19.99 a month. The plan includes unlimited talk and text. Other competing phones must be used on a major cell provider’s network which would definitely cost more. The phone is best suited for older kids who want to have a smartphone.

There are phones with limited features on the market; however, many do not have the features or appearance of a smartphone. Many look or function like walkie-talkies with a GPS tracker. This can work great for a younger child, but a child who wants to fit in with their peers will likely want a smartphone device.

The Gabb Z2 Bundle also comes with a 30-day money back guarantee, an 8MP built-in camera, bluetooth connectivity, and 14 essential apps that include the following:

• Music
  • FM Radio
  • File Manager
  • Settings

Customer Reviews

Gabb's mobile phones may look like a smart phone, but it is actually a dumb phone (which is a good thing).

Reviews left on BestCompany.com consist of parents thanking Gabb Wireless for creating a mobile device that allows them to easily communicate with their children but doesn't include all the headaches or safety concerns that come with modern smartphones.

In fact, most Gabb customers were extremely satisfied with the included apps and features installed on the phone, stating that it was just enough to entertain their child but not cause them to ignore the world around them. Other customers were happy with the phone and its long battery life (due to the fact that kids can't drain the battery on internet browsing or social media).

There were also a number of reviews that mentioned the company's customer service. In particular, many customers felt that Gabb Wireless responded to their questions in a timely manner and often went above and beyond to help.

The Bad

• Cheaper Options Like Relay
  • GPS Capability Now
  • Does Not Offer Certain Parental Controls

Cheaper Options Available

If you are looking for an even more basic and affordable phone that lets you keep in touch with your child and track their location using GPS, there are lower-priced options with great reviews. While $99 is a great price, parents can find options for half that cost with even lower tech features. Think walkie-talkies on steroids with a large range.

GPS Capability Limitations

For many parents, being able to track their child’s location is one of the biggest safety benefits of giving their child a phone. The Z1 phone from Gabb Wireless does not have this capability. The new Z2 phone will have GPS capability starting in November 2020. Its GPS tracking capability will be limited. Other competitor phones allow kids to use GPS to check the weather or to navigate using a maps app. The Z2 does not have a maps app that could help your child find directions if needed.

Does Not Offer Certain Parental Controls

Gabb Wireless phones only offer one mode which gives full access to all 14 apps. You can’t turn off calls or texts during school for example. Or change the phone to only receive calls from emergency contact on the device during certain times of day or night. The only mode is full access. While the phone has a much more limited selection of apps and internet browsing capabilities than others, there is still the inconvenience of not being able to limit phone calls or texting during certain times of the day or at night.

Competing phones often offer more parental control modes like a “school mode” or “family time mode” which gives parents the ability to change every app, or contact to match the rhythm of the child’s day-to-day life. Night mode can be especially nice because it essentially turns your child’s phone into a brick at night, preventing lost sleep.

The Bottom Line

Gabb Wireless gives parents and children the option of an affordable and safe smartphone and cell service. It is designed to teach kids healthy screen habits and give them independence while allowing parents peace of mind.

Cell phones can have a lot of benefits for children and families but they can come with issues as well, such as screen addiction. Many parents want their child to have independence and would like to be able to communicate with them while they are away from home but may not like the idea of giving their child full internet, app store, and social media access. Gabb Wireless helps alleviate these worries with its phone that does not have internet browsing or social media capability. However, Gabb offers unlimited talk and text. It also offers kids a limited selection of apps to allow them to learn healthy screen habits while having fun.

Message from
Gabb Wireless

Gabb Wireless provides a safe phone for kids on the first wireless network that's designed for kids. Parents don't have to worry and kids stay connected with the apps they need and a phone they love. Finally, a safe phone for kids!

bookmark

Featured Review

harrisfam Boise, ID

Great customer service. We really like the concept that Gabb provides - everything is just easier. Phones are reasonably priced and the monthly fee is very reasonable as well. Would highly recommend!

bookmark

Featured Review

Dee Smith ,

My kids has been begging for a phone but my husband and I decided we wouldn't get him a phone until he was 16 yrs old. However, because of the safety and GPS capabilities the Gabb phone has we got our son a phone for Christmas. He was thrilled and we have peace of mind. My interaction with everyone at customer support has been amazing! Such a great product and incredible company. Thank you!

Beth Los Angeles, CA

I like what the company has to offer. It’s been something I have searched for for my younger teens. A phone that looks like a smart phone without the freedom of the internet and apps. It also has a camera and the capability to down load music onto it as well as hold an extra SIM card for storage. I also like the fact that you can allow SMS/picture sending/receiving and group texts or not based on the plan you have. I think the plans are very affordable and the phone very reasonably priced as well. I have had to use customer service twice since getting our phones and both times I got a reply before 24 hours. I used their email and both times they were able to help me and fix my problems with clear and easy to follow instructions.

Teacher Mom Modesto, CA

This is an AWESOME product (phone and cell plan) for young teens! I have a 13 year old boy who has enough screen distraction in his life. Gabb allows us to have a connection through phone, text, and GPS for safety, without all of the headaches that come with modern smartphones. It also gives my son a phone with the same look and feel of a modern smartphone--and this is more important than you'd think during the middle school years when they just want to blend in with the crowd. The company itself is FANTASTIC--they do exactly what they say they are going to do. Customer service is fast and easy. I've lost track of the number of people I have recommended Gabb to!

Angela Linville, CFCE Leavenworth, KS

We purchased the Z1 at Christmas time last year (2019) for our 13-year-old, and it served it's purpose well. The only features we really wanted that it didn't offer were GPS tracking, group texting, and image texting (selfishly for my own use). When the Z2 was announced, with the GPS tracking, and the option for the Plus plan with both image and group texting, it was a logical upgrade for this Christmas. We were going to pass the Z1 down to my 10-year-old, as he already had the Verizon Gizmo watch for tracking and basic texting. However, he had outgrown the watchband, and we decided to trade in the Z1 for a second Z2 with the basic plan, and cancel the Gizmo. Both boys were excited to receive their phones, and they do exactly what we wanted them to do. The customer service reps at Gabb have helped us receive promo discounts, transfer lines, upgrade plans, transfer SIM cards, and merge accounts. They are pleasant, helpful, and follow-up with more details or corrections when the situation calls for it. We have kept our Verizon accounts for the parent devices for now (as 15+ year customers), but are happy to have this option for the teen/tween, and have even contemplated switching the parent lines as well. We recommend this option to others and are grateful for a simple, effective, and safe way for our kids to stay in touch.

jedimvma Tysons Corner, VA

i purchased a phone for my 5 year olds to share. it was (is) going to arrive later than expected and i was worried because they're about to visit their dad out of state and i wanted them to have the phone for the visit. i first contacted because the billing is set on a certain day, which happened to be before we go the phone (but after we were supposed to get it) and i didn't want to be billed before my kids were even able to use the phone. the agent who helped me basically said they could disconnect the phone so i'm not billed, and credit me the bill amount that i'd already paid so that once i get the phone i can reconnect and use that credit on my account then. i contacted again 11 days after i was originally supposed to get the phone and that agent explained that there were 2 more days until the time when they would send a replacement, but because of my situation he went above and beyond and asked for approval to send one out 2 days early to make sure we have the phone on time. i have yet to get the phone but i'm already so happy because the customer service agents have been so very helpful, kind, and understanding. i'm so pleased with the help i've received and can't wait for my kids to get their first phone!

Jason Muhlberger Flower Mound, TX

Gabb is a fantastic option for parents!! You have the comfort of knowing that you can reach your kids via call and text. You have peace of mind knowing they can't download any social media apps and engage in more mature online behavior. The device cannot be used for games or web browsing, so the battery lasts a really long time! They make it easy to add MMS services for picture messaging and group messaging. Customer service is extremely responsive through the live chat. Oh yeah, and they include GPS tracking of your child's device via the Gabb app for all their Z2 phones!! - I wish there was an email app on the phones - I maintain an email account for my boy, and would totally let him access that so he could recover his Xbox account, or Nintendo account or what have you. The call, text and data usage can be a bit hard to follow and understand. We often see random data usage during the night times when the device is not in use - I guess it is downloading updates or something. Overall, 10/10

Lori Santo Redmond, WA

The good- customer service was very quick to respond to all inquiries and were very pleasant. The bad- we purchased our phone for full price ($99) and it went on sale before I even received it for 20% off. They would not do a price adjustment, and told me I could wait to receive the phone, return it and then buy a new one. I opted not to do this as it seemed like a waste of time and money for everyone involved. Once we received the phone, it would not connect to the network so we could not make or receive any calls or texts. Gabb Support first points you to a troubleshooting guide that tells you to take the sim card and the battery out, put them back in and restart the phone. That worked! But sometimes only for a few hours, sometimes as little as a few minutes. before the phone would no longer connect to the network. Once that got old for us (and was worrisome as this was not a reliable way for our daughter to get in touch with us), we asked for them to please replace the phone. They did so with no problem at all. The new phone arrived and we had the same exact problem. They pointed us to the same troublshooting issues again. We were getting very frustrated. They finally sent us a new sim card. This also did not correct the problem. I asked them to cancel our service and I would like to send back the faulty phone for a full refund. They stated it had been longer than 30 days and they could not do so. I escalated to a manager who told me the same thing. She then suggested that I try to sell the non-functioning phone online! I found that very unethical they would suggest that I sell a phone that didn't work to someone else. Not happy with my experience with them at all. Other cons- there is no way for a parent to monitor anything from your account online. If there is a person you do not want contacting your child, you must block them from the phone itself, your child can see who is blocked and can easily unblock them themselves. Aside from this being a "dumb phone" having no internet access, it still isn't a great option for a child's first phone. I ended up purchasing a regular smartphone through a mainstream carrier and using parental control software purchased separately and that is going much smoother and is way more relaible.

Lily Rivas Windermere, FL

Great company! Excellent customer service! Quality of the phone amazing ! Wish I would’ve buy the newer version with cámara and gps but I will in the near future. Keep up the great ideas and service!

Nancy South Jordan, UT

So happy that a company finally answered the call that millions of parents have been asking for. A phone that just texts and calls!!! Thank you for saving this momma's sanity and relationship with my children. No children addicted to their phones here, or being indoctrinated by social media!

Kisb Los Osos, CA

Gabb has the BEST customer service I have ever experienced. I had a really tricky time getting everything complete on their very user friendly, but SUPER finnicky website, pure frustration. Every email communication between myself and a couple different representatives kept me trying for this phone. It worked, and I will praise the team members for keeping me a customer!

Patty Heier Tampa, FL

We bought the phone for our teenager. The fact that it restricts our teenager from accessing the internet and social media yet still lets us keep in touch with him is the whole point of the product, and we are very satisfied with it!

Amy Kuiper Jenison, MI

Happy customer!!! Team goes out of their way to help :) always have and will continue to recommend to family and friends!! Luv the new bluetooth and mp3 features for listening to music via wireless headphones, AND the GPS locating feature, these will be a great addition to an awesome phone

dcheier Spanish Fork, UT

We got a Gabb phone for our teenage son and it has been great! We love being able to contact him at all times with a phone but also not have to get him a phone with an internet connection. It is a safe phone for him and a great solution for our phone needs!

Jamie Kirschner Mount Juliet, TN

We love our Gabb Phone. I wanted to buy a phone for my son that was safe and effective to help teach him how to be responsible online. This has been a great experience so far!

Kristina Chavies Medical Lake, WA

LOVE this company! They have amazing service and amazing customer service! We love the phone for our daughter. We will be getting one for each kid as they get older and need it!!!

Steve Arlington, VA

I have been with Gabb for a month or two now. If you are looking for a good phone without internet and social media this is a great option. Also costumer service has been very helpful and friendly.

Ellen Blust Middleton, WI

Gabb Wireless offers all that it advertises - a smart, inexpensive way for teens to be in touch with their parents and friends without the addictive quality of internet connection, and without making them feel too different from their peers. I searched for a long time for something like this, and was so glad to find Gabb. Now that my son has his own Gabb phone, I can also say that it works great in all its apps and its network. The phone lasts for days without running out of battery, my son enjoys having it, and the assurance that he can get in touch with us without being tempted to spend all his time staring at a screen... is priceless!

Lori Arrington Murrieta, CA

I am able to keep in touch with my child and know where he is at all times and know that he is safe from the dangers that’s on the Internet.

Maren Jones Saint George, UT

online support very helpful. It was a little tricky to upgrade our daughters plan & phone but Macy L walked me thru the whole thing.

Rachel Wilding Coeur d'Alene, ID

Excellent customer Service I appreciate this option for safe guarding our childrens usage with cell phones. So happy about the style and functionality of the Z2 phone!

Dodd ,

Patient people who work with you to fix any problems. A down side is they are slow to get to you because they need to hire more people. Love our Gabb Phones!

S W Denver, CO

They had great customer service when I had a issue with the shipping company not them they stepped up to solve the problem when it wasn’t their problem.

Damond Petersen ,

I had a concern and it was quickly resolved with their great customer service. I have loved having a phone through Gabb. It’s everything I want for my kids.

April Stephens Owosso, MI

Very Helpful, They resolved my prior issues. LOVE this phone and that it is a safe phone for my daughter. Very Reasonably Priced too! Helps us, parents, out tremendously!

Tommy Albany, OR

THIS IS A REVIEW FROM A KID. PLEASE do not get your kid this phone and phone plan. No maps, no school apps, nothing whatsoever. Missed texts, due to it not downloading, spam calls and more. Texts don't download, even on the 25$ plan, and overall just a really bad phone in my opinion. If there was another gabb phone coming out, I'd really appreciate video calls, more customization and school apps. If they could have their own app store, that'd be really nice. Having a speaker on the front instead of the back would really be nice too. Screen recording, is something that I really want, even if there's nothing to record, so I can actually record the problems and show them to people. This feels way to restricting, and hard to contact anyone. No external messaging apps, such as Messenger kids, Discord, and more. My friends almost NEVER use their phone to message, therefore I have been cut off from a LOT of them. No, I don't use messenger kids, but it seems like a big problem everyone else is having, of NO other apps on the phone. Outdated messaging app, keyboard, that makes me press B instead of the space bar, gestures don't work on the keyboard, like swipe typing, and limited customization compared to well, anything. Voice typing, is something that I'd also really like, as any time you press it, it does nothing. I'd REALLY like google keyboard. More customization, better dictionary, and more. The built in keyboard is just hot garbage. Prices seem a little high, compared to Visible's 25$ a month, unlimited text, calls, and 4G LTE data, with 5G coming soon. All of this was on the verizon network, just like gabb wireless. I understand that the point is having little, to no apps, but I feel like this is just WAY to much. I feel like they just lock it down so bad, and with garbage customization and just, overall bad pricing with everything. I like the idea of pinwheel, where you can approve specific apps, and connect your own carrier, for cheaper prices. The problem with them is that you have to pay an extra 15$ a month for that software. The screen is HORRIBLE (probably on both, because I'm on the newer Z2,) and is overall quite laggy. The camera is straight up garbage, and if your kid decides to put the sim card into their old phone to try and text from there? BOOM. Terminated. The only pros I see to the gabb phone, is Android 10, and the enabling of the new gestures. The finger print scanner, although quite standard, is nice too. The biggest pro, is the battery life. It's actually good, but with the new GPS update, (ONLY for parents to track you, NOT MAPS, NO NAVIGATION, Unlike pinwheel, or using google smart lock on a normal android phone, which you could still track with life360,) I expect the battery life to PLUMMET. Customer service is nice, and responsive, too. Overall, still my second day, just really wish more features and apps were there that could help me progress in things like school. Socratic would be nice, too.

Diane Perez Midvale, UT

Gabb wireless has great costomer service. Phones are great quality. Parents can have peace of mind. I have recommended gabb wireless to friends that have children.

coco svedin Caldwell, ID

Amazing helped me with all my problems! And didn't rush me when i didn't understand what she was wanting me to do! Overall she was just amazing!

Tonia Ziter Midvale, UT

phone issues were resolved in 5 minutes with an easy fix. great customer service

take7 Sandy, UT

Tried it out on kick start and it was everything a parent wants in a phone for a child handling their own phone for the first time. It has all the limits you want without all the fuss of trying to keep up with it. Their service has great connection and no problems in the local area where the kid needs it most. Customer service was great in navigating the really simple phone and their service and the price is perfect!

Lindsey Diediker Spanish Fork, UT

For some weird reason our account was frozen & we reached out to customer service & they helped immediately! Thank you Gabb wireless!

A. Rose Beaumont, CA

Not only is this affordable, but the customer service is unreal! A wonderful company with a wonderful purpose!

Scott Jeppson Malad City, ID

Terrible customer service! Service was shut down after a mix up in billing due to a recent move to a new home. We logged into our account, updated billing address and paid past month along with upcoming. Service has remained down. There was no notice of the issue and customer service is non-existent. Multiple attempts with a "blackout notice" in the midwest (we live in Idaho) for days, with only an option to leave a message. No return calls.

Oh Simple Salt Lake City, UT

We are on our 3rd Gabb for our kids. My kids are happier with out all of the apps. I am happier without all of the worry. Currently, my 17 and 13 year olds are using them. So much peace of mind.

Janae Palmer Wilmington, DE

Very chill and kind and willing to help with every problem!!! Very helpful!!!

Hayle Clark Kanab, UT

Amazing customer service, even while at work they were helpful and didn’t take up all my time

Hailey Hamilton, OH

Great service! Great staff! Loved it! If i didnt get a phone as a gift id totally stay!

Raquel Acevedo Idaho Falls, ID

Great customer service and great phone.. Grateful for a product that can protect children.

Dustin Johnson Orem, UT

Quick response and help. Easy solution to problem I was having

Pete Parkinson Denver, CO

Great first phone for our middle schooler. Love the new upgrades of the Z2.

Gregg Marshall Logan, UT

They are great to work with and have excellent customer service.

Scott Mckee Yakima, WA

Great plans and phones for kids. Very responsive and user friendly.

Chris Fowler Long Beach, CA

Gabb has the BEST customer support !!! Thank you Gabb!

Morgan Guyton Fayette, AL

Excellent customer service! Love their product as well!

Hannah Herring, PA-C ,

Great customer service. Awesome product. Safe for kids.

J Connelly Saratoga Springs, UT

Bought a Gabb phone for my 12 year old son and we love it. Just talk and text and we feel very safe with him having it.