DISH verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

Founded in 1980 by Charlie Ergen, Candy Ergen, and Jim DeFranco, DISH has grown from humble beginnings into a Fortune 250 company. They provide satellite TV to roughly 14 million users around the world. In 2014, they increased revenue 1.6 percent surpassing $14.6 billion. Headquartered in Englewood, Colorado, they employ approximately 19,000 technicians, customer service representatives, and more throughout the United States. DISH is a publicly traded company on the NASDAQ exchange with the symbol "DISH".

The Good

• Competitive Pricing
  • DVR and Other Technology
  • Mobile App

Competitive Pricing

DISH offers a variety of packages, each with its own value and unique price. The old adage of "you get what you pay for" definitely holds true with their packages. For example, the "America's Top 120" is on the lower end of the price range but you still get over 190 channels to choose from in that package. Depending on the package, you can enjoy upwards of 290 channels to choose from. Unlike some other Satellite TV providers, DISH offers its services in all 50 states in the United States.

One feature they hold over other satellite TV providers is free DISH Movie Pack for three months. DISH Movie Pack is a premium movie streaming service only available with DISH packages . Like DIRECTV, DISH Network offers HBO, Cinemax, STARZ, and Showtime free for three months with America© Top 120+ package and above.

Finally, DISH offers 24/7 customer service, so feel free to call in at any time of the day. Despite the amount of time available to reach a customer service representative being 24/7, there have been a number of complaints from customers not getting their issues resolved.

DVR and other Technology

DISH's premier product is their Hopper HD DVR. The Hopper has a 2 terabyte hard drive, which is twice that of the Genie, DIRECTV's competing product. With the extra space, the Hopper can store up to 500 hours of HD recordings, more than DIRECTV.

If you ever get tired of commercials, DISH allows you to skip them during primetime programming on major networks. While DIRECTV allows you to view four different shows in four different rooms, DISH increases that standard by allowing six different shows in six different rooms.

If you ever lose your remote, you can use their remote locator to find it. And once you find the remote, you can use it to choose from their selection of 15,000 On Demand movies, which is more than twice that of DIRECTV.

Mobile App

DISH also offers its customers a user-friendly app to keep track of their favorite programs while on the go. Currently, they have been given 4.1 out of 5 stars on the Android Apps site for Google Play. There have been between 5,000 and 10,000 installs. New features of the app include the following:

• Home screen that allows user to quickly find content
  • All content that is available on your homes tv is available on the app, making it perfect for catching your favorite sports action away from home
  • DVR compatible

Learn more about DISH

The Bad

• Two-Year Contract
  • Service and Equipment Issues

Two-Year Contract

DISH requires its customers to sign a two year agreement when officially becoming a part of the DISH family. This is not unlike many other TV providers. DISH provides a ton of information regarding their packages and related fees. Even though you have to sign a two-year contract, there is a welcome assurance that DISH offers a two-year price-lock, which means your monthly rate will not increase over the duration of the contract.

Service and Equipment Issues

Another common user complaint involves problems with equipment and reception services. Having a TV provider that doesn't provide consistently good service is not worth the time or the money. Many customers have felt their service with DISH was poor in this regard, making their experience not worthwhile to say the least. While many are quick to blame DISH as a company, a number of the issues complained about are simply results from the satellite industry as a whole and are not DISH specific. Unfortunately, simple things like weather can seriously impact the equipment and service provided.

The Bottom Line

DISH provides fantastic service for a great price. Coupled with cutting edge technology for your home, DISH is a great choice as a satellite television provider. DISH offers a great HD DVR in the Hopper, which boasts twice the memory and smaller dimensions than their closest competitor. DISH always has great promotions to help make your choice easier.

View Available Packages

Call our recommended rep over at DISH below.

136 DISH Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Dish is expensive and overall hard to work with. However, my main complaint with dish is their remote control. Accidentally our remote zoomed in, after my dog ran over the remote. This took me a month to finally get my TV at the proper zoom display. Direct's remote is a lot less complicated.

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I had Dish a little under ten years ago, it was the only choice we had at the time. We really didn’t care for the service. It seemed to go out often. We also didn’t like the long contract we had to sign. We have enjoyed other ones a great deal more.

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

We had a lot of issues when we had Dish, the service would go out frequently. We had free Showtime for a while, which was alright. But, it’s expensive just like many other cable and satellite providers. I’ve just gone with Hulu and Netflix for all my tv needs.

June 8th, 2017 Mona, UT

Dish is expensive and they raise your rates whenever they decide to. Customer service is okay, but not great.

May 26th, 2017

I have had DISH when we lived in Vegas. We had a few technical problems that were solved easily with their customer service. I would recommend DISH.

April 20th, 2017 Ocala, FL

The impasse between Dish/Hearst is inexcusable. We're a month and a half in with no solution in sight and all Dish is offering is either an antenna or a one-time $30 credit despite the fact that we have no idea how long the standoff will last. Meanwhile Dish insists on broadcasting obnoxious propaganda videos trashing Hearst. I think they're more interested in winning than in serving their customers.

April 11th, 2017

Dish was great with installation and easy use of product but when we asked for sports package they never mentioned they don't have SNY, we tried every way possible to get Mets games and they don't have rights. Went to cancel after 3 days of service and was told we were charged $480! After many phone calls and speaking to rude representatives, I went to social media and finally they compromised with a $99 cancellation fee. Very very frustrating 7days of dealing with them.

April 11th, 2017 Newark, OH

We switched to Dish because Directv was just getting too expensive . We are huge, HUGE baseball fans, especially our Phillies. Dish didn't offer programming out of Philadelphia.", so we signed up for the MLB Extra Innings package. We live 178 miles NW of Philadelphia. They have had every game so far blacked out. However we had this same service ( MLB Extra Innings ) with Directv, and I got to watch all 162 games last year and the year before. It makes me think one of these programmers doesn't know the MLB blackout rules. I hate that we signed up with Dish or that we are paying for this service and can't watch our Phillies. But not just that, they also have blacked out every Yankees and Mets games, but not Pirates. And not one customer service rep can explain to me why. All I get is referenced to the MLB blackout rules to read for myself.

April 11th, 2017 North Bridgton, ME

Heading into 6th week of no ABC station. Dish is not listening to its customers who wanted this back weeks ago. Their excuses of Hearst wanting to overcharge in new contract has become old and is now being shown as a lie. They want an unreasonable discounted rate from Hearst. They don't care that MILLIONS of their customers across the markets have no ABC/CBS/NBC &/or FOX STATIONS. Do your homework before picking Dish as your tv provider. They are responsible for 60% of blackout stations that they carry. The team responsible for negotiating contracts should have been terminated weeks ago. If I didn't have a $350 earlier termination fee, I would have termination their service 5 weeks ago. I hope their informing their new customers that there is a Major Network missing from their lineup. Their twitter feed is full of customers complaining about this situation yet they still have not resolved this issue to get the stations back. If your contemplating DISH as your tv provider, go to another provider. Dish does not provide their customers with what THEIR PAYING FOR!

April 9th, 2017 Southington, CT

Dish has always been flexible in allowing existing customers to change to new offers. I actually asked them once joking around if they could send me a stuffed animal and the followijg day i had a joey kangaroo in the mail-- great company--the relationship with frontier is a minus since billing with that company is an extreme nightmare

April 6th, 2017 Redding, CA

Excellent service. Quick answers. Great price.

April 6th, 2017 West Des Moines, IA

They have great customer service. Always answer you and always their to help

April 4th, 2017 Hillsboro, OR

Wonderful customer service! Was having issue with picture and they looked into it and took care of it! Dish is a great satellite service provider! I wouldn't switch to any other company!

March 20th, 2017

This company is the worst it's a wonder how they stay in business!! The equipment is constantly malfunctioning, the play back on the DVR is terrible, it skips and pauses all the time. Love tv skips and pauses too. You call the customer service and they're awful, no experience and never any compensation. The channels are forever out for months at a time while they're negotiating. It's a pain never again will I use or recommend DISH.

March 15th, 2017 Meriden, CT

The first time I contacted Dish through the online chat, I was not notified how to stream msnbc through the msnbc website itself. It took a second contact an hour later with another rep to figure it out. Contacting Dish via twitter (unthinkable until so recently) was so fast, and painless, the way of the future.

March 15th, 2017 Franklin, NC

Took the lady almost 5 minutes to find my account (via name, phone number and address) because she kept telling me I didn't have an account. I told her they owe me over a year's worth of monthly drafted payments if that was the case. She FINALLY found it. Was on the phone for 45 minutes (I took a screen shot) and all that was accomplished was that she "put a note on my account that I was advised to call back in 2 weeks". Awful.

August 2nd, 2016 Youngstown, OH

Was quoted one price package from sales person , wanted email com formation of two cost before agreed to install. Email came and was no where the quoted sales price.

May 26th, 2016 Denver, CO

Don't believe Dish Network's "Price Lock" promotions, they will raise your bill anyway. Dish sold me a TV/internet bundle that was guaranteed to be "price locked" for 24 months, but the internet bill unexpectedly went up by $10/month after 6 months. I called Dish and they told me that only some of the advertised prices were price locked while others were not. Of course, the sales person neglected to point this out. The lesson is take Dish's "Price Lock" promises for what they are: a hollow sales gimmick that they don't intend to honor.

July 31st, 2015 Lady Lake, FL

worst thing i ever done rude and lied

July 28th, 2015 Denver, CO

I was with Dish for 18 years. I got my mother into it a couple of years ago. Her service and equipment were terrible. I was calling weekly for a month, all with different problems. She cancelled some promotional movie channels a month before she would have had to start paying. They charged her anyway and then when she did not pay for the movie package, they charged her a late payment penalty. Trying to get this fixed, they readily removed the charge but refused to remove the penalty on a bill that was never owed. A supervisor even hung up on me when I asked her to explain how she owed a penalty for not paying a bill they acknowledged she never owed. I finally got it fixed. I recently tried to upgrade to HD programming and they wanted a credit card. I pay them $170 month for top tier programming and have had it for 18 years w/o a single late payment. Their customer service sucks and their programming is not that good. I now have Direct TV and I am totally satisfied. As soon as my mom's contract is up, she will be coming to Direct also!