DirecTV got its start in 1990, and has since grown into a successful Fortune 100 company. They serve over 20 million customers in the United States and 16 million in Latin America, totaling over 37 million customers worldwide. The company offers over 190 full-time HD channels. Currently the consensus winner for sports programming, DirecTV offers NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice, and NBA League Pass. They were awarded “#1 for Customer Service Satisfaction” according to the 2014 American Customer Satisfaction Index.

In June 2015, AT&T officially acquired DirecTV creating one of the largest television and communications companies in the world. The projections for this merger are positive for DirecTV customers, giving them bundling opportunities on internet and phone service not available before. Many also predict this merger will allow DirecTV to compete with other cable/satellite companies and their bundling services—where the future of TV is potentially going.

The Good

• HD DVR
  • Exclusive sports programming
  • Additional technology features
  • Watch in multiple rooms
  • Bundling and competitive pricing

HD DVR

DirecTV is one of the leaders in the satellite TV industry, and they proudly showcase their HD DVR, the Genie, as the new great technology in viewing pleasure. The Genie can record up to five shows at the same time, a definite standout feature among leading DVR providers.

Exclusive Sports Programming

DirecTV has an exclusive partnership with the NFL, offering the NFL Sunday Ticket to sports fans across the country. NFL Sunday Ticket shows all the NFL games every week from your favorite teams. For more features and remote accessibility, you are able to upgrade to NFL Sunday Ticket Max, offering highlights, the RED ZONE CHANNEL®, DIRECTV FANTASY ZONE CHANNEL™, NFL.com fantasy. NFL Sunday Ticket is included for free for a limited time on most initial sign up packages. When charged, costs range between $239.94 and $329.94. This package is a huge selling point, especially for individuals who have moved away from their favorite city and team and want to keep them a part of their weekends.

Not only does DirecTV provide unmatched content streaming for every live NFL game, they also offer similar programming for the NBA, MLB, and NHL. These streaming services, while excellent for sports fans, are not exclusive to DirecTV. All 50 states have access to DirecTV and these excellent sports options.

Additional Technology Features

Tired of finding the schedules so you don’t miss any of your teams’ games or your favorite shows? Now the Genie will arrange a joint schedule of all of your games once you specify your teams. Outside of sports, the Genie will also recommend shows for your viewing based on your prior viewing history. Sometimes it is hard to choose what you want to watch, but DirecTV allows you to do split screen with two shows at once, meaning you don’t have to miss a beat while figuring out where to place your focus.

Lastly, if you find a show that you know you will want to watch, but know you’ll forget about it if you don’t program it in the system, DirecTV will let you search and save the program up to two weeks in advance.

Watch in Multiple Rooms

Another issue in the past was bickering over who got to control the remote. But now any iPhone can act as a DirecTV remote, and up to four different shows can be watched in four different rooms at any given time. So if you have enough TVs in the house, you’ll never have to fight over watching your favorite show again. The Genie displays both HD programming and can be used to record shows. Better yet, those shows can be recorded in HD, meaning you can enjoy them fully without viewing them live.

Even though you can view different shows in multiple rooms, what about all of the extra equipment? With DirecTV, all you need is a Genie Mini in each additional room. And if you have a Samsung or Sony Direct Ready TV, you actually don’t need any external devices to run multiple TVs through the network.

Bundling and Competitive Pricing

DirecTV pricing varies by package. You can expect to pay somewhere between $50 and $187 depending on package chosen. Additional channels (like the NFL Sunday Ticket) may require additional costs. While these prices are competitive, DISH average prices are slightly lower (again, depending on the package) coming in roughly at $39.99.

Due to the recent merger between AT&T and DirecTV, the future looks bright for customers being able to save money on bundling their phone and internet services with their TV programming. As time moves forward, we will know more how much value this will actually bring to current and future customers of DirecTV. The future does look bright for customers being able to save more money and get more services in return for the future.

Learn more about DirecTV

The Bad

• Customer complaints
  • Equipment and service complaints
  • Service charges

Customer Complaints

DirecTV has a number of customer complaints, bringing up many similar service and experience issues. Before going with DirecTV, be sure to do your homework and review these potential negatives of DirecTV and the satellite TV industry as a whole.

Equipment and Service Complaints

DirecTV is satellite-based, and is subject to all the disadvantages that come with a satellite system: reception is a the mercy of weather conditions. When there are heavy storms, you are more likely to have an effect on you satellite connection. Weather does not affect the quality and availability of cable or fiber optic programming to the same extent as satellite TV service. Be prepared to weather spotty connections during considerably adverse weather.

DirecTV is known for locking customers into great promotional packages for the first year of their contract; however, Once the first year of the contract is complete, year two can brings a heavy increase in monthly programming prices. Be sure to check what your price will be for the second year of service with DirecTV.

Service Charges

Service charges are also very evident through DirecTV. Although this is not foreign to the industry, be prepared to pay an additional monthly fee for each additional television you wish to use DirecTV within your home.

The Bottom Line

DirecTV has an incredible assortment of channels, and their initial promotional packages are hard to beat. Getting locked into NFL Sunday Ticket for free, coupled with one of the highest picture quality available, for the first two years is a huge benefit for many; however, after the initial two year contract, it may be time to go hunting for a new TV service, due to price hikes. Be aware of early termination fees specified in your contract (up to $480), and also watch out for loss of reception during storms and money disputes with the big networks.

View Available Packages

More Information

DirecTV Packages

Select

The price is $50/month for 12 months, regularly priced at $90/month. 145+ channels are available in this package.

Entertainment

The price is $55/month for 12 months (with a 24 month agreement), regularly priced at $101/month. Currently, they are running a special offer for $55 for 12 months. The package has over 150 digital channels, including all of the top entertainment and news channels, and three free months of HBO, STARZ, Showtime, and Cinemax. There is a free Genie upgrade, free professional installation, no extra charge for local channels, no startup costs, and no equipment to buy.

Choice

Choice runs for $115 per month (although they are running a special offer of $60 per month for 12 months). DirecTV touts this 175+channel package as “the package that beats cable.” It includes everything from the entertainment package, plus 2014 NFL Sunday Ticket. Also, enjoy the ability to see thousands of movies with On Demand.

Xtra

Xtra is $124 per month, or $70 per month on their special deal. You get all that the Choice has to offer, plus an additional 45 channels. DirecTV says that this is their most popular package.

Ultimate

Enjoy all that Xtra has to offer, plus 20 extra channels, all for $134 per month, or $75 a month under their current special.

Premier

DirecTV’s biggest package comes in at $187 a month, or $125 a month under their current offer. This arrangement will have you happily viewing over 315 digital channels.

Contract Details

Promotions may last up to 12 months for DirecTV customers, during which their rates will not increase. If you are not under promotion, however, there is no obligation on the company’s part to keep their prices the same.

Select

The contract is for two years, the first of which will cost $50/month. If you choose to renew your service after that, it will cost you $90/month.

Entertainment

The contract is for two years, the first of which will cost $55/month. If you choose to renew your service after that, it will cost you $101/month.

Choice

The contract is for two years, the first of which will cost $60/month. If you choose to renew your service after that, it will cost you $115/month.

Xtra

The contract is for two years, the first of which will cost $70/month. If you choose to renew your service after that, it will cost you $124/month.

Ultimate

The contract is for two years, the first of which will cost $75/month. If you choose to renew your service after that, it will cost you $134/month.

Premier

The contract is for two years, the first of which will cost $125/month. If you choose to renew your service after that, it will cost you $187/month.

X close
X close

Call our recommended rep over at DirecTV below.

Or you can visit their site by clicking here.

196 DirecTV Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

April 20th, 2017 New York, NY

All I wanted to do was ask about a “free” upgrade I was told that I was entitled to. I mentioned that I wanted to confirm that Free meant Free and that my monthly bill would not increase. I was told that there would be no changes to my bill.

Then I get transferred to the confirmation line and what do you think? I am told that my monthly bill would go up by $13. I then had to cancel the upgrade. This is not the first time that I received incorrect information from a rep. It actually happens more times than the times someone actually gives me the correct info.

It is as if one hand does not know what the other hand is doing. I honestly would leave this company if I had an alternative out where my home is located.

I don’t have time to spend almost 2 hours on a call to have totally wasted my time.

2. User Score

April 19th, 2017 Ferndale, WA

Been with DIRECTV for 21 years. Our bill has gone up to 6x what it was when we started. We never got a free system, ours was in the old day. $600 for system and $200 to install. Then, friends and family with service for only 3-4 years get substantial bill credits to not cancel service yet with 21 years of loyalty they tell us we don’t qualify for anything and the best they can do is $5 off per month.

3. User Score

April 19th, 2017

We are due a two year equipment upgrade as part of our service agreement. After an hour long conversation for a simple upgrade, the order was wrong. They tried to talk me into that equipment so they wouldn’t have to modify the order. When I refused they cancelled the order and said I would have to start over. I complained on social media. The social media agent contacted me. Over 24 hours later I am still verifying information with the FOURTH person. No closer to resolution. Consider yourself warned.

4. User Score

April 19th, 2017

was customer for 15 years x $180 per month, sent me to collections for one late month. Didn’t care when I cancelled.

5. User Score

April 19th, 2017 North Las Vegas, NV

They are awful and have the worst dvrs ever. They have ober 13000 complaints with the BBB and a consumer alert from them about frauding people. The only reason they are still around is because of the nfl package

6. User Score

April 12th, 2017

Television delivery is perfect but web access to account and access via DTV app is IMPOSSIBLE since ATT acquisition. They changed user names and passwords and nobody in CS can solve. Even they admit it’s been a nightmare.

7. User Score

April 6th, 2017

DirecTV was quick to respond to my tweet but they didn’t have to do anything. I simply forgot I had upgraded to the wireless set top box and had to pay extra. My service, and previous dealings with customer service, have been stellar.

8. User Score

April 6th, 2017

One of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. They billed me for $900.23 in hidden charges in the fine print. Manager lied about charges. Customer service would not answer questions. I was told I should have read the fine print closer.

9. User Score

April 4th, 2017

I was approached by a Sales Rep for Directv at a Sams Club and listened to the sales pitch. On paper it seemed like the right thing to do – switch from my present cable company to Directv. I was told that my daughter would be given a credit as a referral because she had it and suggested I look into it – they at first refused to even consider that but eventually did.

I was told that they have corrected the issue of losing a signal during a rain storm, not just a heavy rain storm, any rain storm. They installed two additional “cones” as if I knew what that was meant to mean and that solved the problem. It didn’t the TV goes out in almost any rain and other times as well.

When I purchased Directv neither the sales rep nor the installer who had to have seen the Roku device attached to the TV in my home, ever said that Roku would not work with Directv. I had to find that out by asking questions on Facebook and was directed to a web site that listed all the devices that worked with Directv and those that didn’t and Roku was listed.

I have a lot of channels to select from yet in all honesty I actually view very few of them. I did lose several that I did watch that were provided by cable such as the Texas Rangers AND the Houston Astros; Directv does neither.

The review comes down to one simple question; given what I know now would i switch from my former cable company to purchase Directv? No!

10. User Score

April 4th, 2017 Longwood, FL

I have had DirecTV for 2 years. Over the past years the customer service was always sub par but I actually a true issue with them beginning on 3/29. I called on 3/29 to set up relocation of services for 3/30. On 3/30 a technician called and said he couldn’t come out because he was wrapped up in another home with wiring. He asked if I could call back DirecTV and reschedule the appointment. Things happen! I get that. So I said sure. When I called to speak with a rep to reschedule he advised that he would have someone out on 4/1 and someone would call me in 24-48 hrs to confirm. No one called or showed up on 4/1. When I called the service reps were rude and very ignorant to my situation. I asked to cancel services and was hung up on several times. When I finally got to speak with someone who was willing to listen on 4/2 he advised that he would have a tech out on 4/3 and reduce my rate due to the inconvenience. I was skeptical but I took the offer. This rep advised that a tech would call prior to my appointment which would be between 12pm-4pm. On 4/3 as I was making my way out of the door with my husband and my children the tech pulled up at 11:23am. He didn’t call and approached very aggressively. My husband told me to go ahead to Walmart while he stayed and unpacked a few things so that the tech could get the job done versus waiting another day. My husband said that my toddlers were playing in the 1st living room while he put together chairs in the 2nd living room. When I got home my door was left wide open. I asked my husband first where the tech was. He advised that he should be in the attic. I then asked my husband where our girls were. He stated that they were playing in the room I just entered through. Come to find out the tech left without speaking to my husband cancelling the order as a “cancelled at door” account. My girls left out the door and my neighbor brought them back after the police was called. When I called to express my frustrations and disappointment in the company and their carelessness I was hung up on, transferred and disregarded. I cancelled my account and I will never do business with DirecTV or AT&T again.

11. User Score

March 30th, 2017 Saint Louis, MO

They put you in a 1 yr promo but its in a 2yr contract they fail to mention. So when u cancel after the yr is up. They hit you with the you’re in a 2yr contract there will be a cancelation fee. I was moving told them I no longer needed serviced They told me I could lower it or possibly get rid of it if I put my account on the 6mnth suspension so I agreed. 6 mnths later they say oh if we did that everyone will be putting their accounts on suspension not to mention they restarted service at my old place and charged me for them took days of aurguing to get the $200 termination fee but they still charge me over $300 for services that wasn’t hooked up and then 1 month after the final bill took it off a card I didn’t even know they had because I got a new card because someone was trying to steal money. They got it directly from visa because theyre a merchant. Said they didn’t need NY permission to take my money that I agreed when I sighed up for services. Told me I can dispute it with my bank but if I was u I’ll get a new card cause we will tty again. But they get the new card info from visa so I’d have to close my account and open a new to stop them from stealing my money.

12. User Score

March 27th, 2017

After 23 years and over $44,000.00 dollars spent with Directv I unplugged. Customer service is lousy and they have no incentive to stay for long term customers such as myself. I originally contracted with them in 1995. At that time they had less than a million customers and they advertised that once they had over a million customers, those original customers, would get a lowering of their bill and lower prices. It never happened.

I stayed for the sports packages and in 1999 contracted with them for the premiere package. At that time I was told as long as I kept that package it would be $99.00 a month for as long as I stayed with them. That also turned out to be untrue.

Over 23 years, prices continued to climb, and no incentive was ever given for long term customers. Continuous issues, such as log in issues online, interruption of services, old equipment not being updated, and fees piling on to the bill led me to unplug.

The straw that broke this camel’s back was a bill that looks like this:

Tennessee satellite tax: Approx $25.00
    TN Government Fees and Taxes: $4.82
    Directv Additional TV Fee: $7.00
    Use Tax: $9.50
    Sales Tax: $1.63

These taxes and fees are approx $95.41 and I have yet to mention programming fees! The $99.00 premiere fee is now approx 145.00, plus sports programming which is approx $50.00 and these are monthly fees. The Tennessee Satellite Tax started out as approx $6.00 a month and continues to climb and is never the same month to month.

Now that AT&T has acquired Directv they try to combine the bill which in my opinion hides many of these taxes and fees. It’s just too much money to watch TV and I unplugged. I wish I had done it years ago just for the savings. I could really use 44K right now, and to have wasted that, for satellite TV, is just plain stupid on my part. I’m done with them and I am feeling the savings. Hope this helps with your decision making in regards to Directv.

13. User Score

March 15th, 2017

Salesman comes to my house, sold me on a certain package/deal. I view the channels on his tablet/iPad because he ran out of pamphlets. I’m thinking this is a good deal. I explain to guy I only have two TVs do i need all of them to set up in every room. He says no i don’t need them all. I tell him i have plumbing construction going on in the back with that be problem? He says no, he can work around it. So I set it up, the installation was a hassle. Disaster! I rescheduled the installation and then I’m rethinking it because of time of issues. The salesman calls and tells me he can get someone out there on Sunday if that’s what works best for you. I give in and say ok Sunday it is. I work nights so to do any of this I have to loose sleep. The tech guy doesn’t show up, as in walking out the door for work he calls and says it’s raining he can’t do anything. It had been raining ALL DAY, he says I’ll be there tomorrow at 11am. I say ok that’s fine. I’m thinking we’ll you can’t help the weather but some notice of the cancellation would have been nice. So I wake up to him banging on my door, didn’t get that curtesy call or nothing. The tech guy asked me where are the TVs? says I NEED them all. I tell him they told me you don’t need all the TVs then walks around, goes outside walks around comes inside starts asking me about attics/ underground access etc. I tell him I’ve never seen any attics. Finally he says It couldn’t be done. I have to call to reschedule or work it out with them. I tell ok forget it ill just cancel it. I get my phone to call and see it’s 9:30 AM. I’m pissed at this point I’m awake and now I won’t be able to sleep and get rested for work that night. So I tried to cancel the service, but I was assured they’d send out the superviser of my area. He however arrived at the scheduled time and did get the job done with ease. Also was very polite. He shows me the same package I “signed up” for. Tells me I’m good to go.

When I scanned my channels on my TV I saw the channels on the list weren’t available on it. So I called customer service and they were no help. They said the dealer with call you to get it fixed. NEVER got a call back. So I called again and again NO HELP all I got was someone trying to upgrade me and charge me more. So I try to see what are all my options. Canceling it, i have to pay almost a $500 fee! For having a cable for NOT even a week. Upgrading it is a $600 difference. Which is NOT ACCEPTABLE! All of this for someone else’s error.

At this point I try to see where was it that I confirmed this package and the only paperwork I have is a bill. That I got after the fact. So I call again and try to get this fixed or cancelled. I get the run around and get transfer to the cancellations department and she tells I have to deal with financial department. She says I see you talked to TWO supervisors that could have helped you and also failed to put in a request for the financial department to call you back to work it out. Not to mention I was suppose to receive an email that I never got because someone put that information in wrong twice. So all in all I’m still waiting for someone to call me (3-5 business days) at this rate I’ll have disappointing cable for month before I get helped. Now looking forward to the next two years if I have to keep it. Not even sure I’ll get a call back.

-With NO NICE REGUARDS
    Maribel (a pissed off DirectTV customer)

14. User Score

March 15th, 2017

I have been a direct TV user for close to 15 years. During that time, never got the local channels in the summer. They said cause of an obstruction. Its funny, when I downgraded my service I now get the local channels in the summer. Had to downgrade because prices keep going out of site. They promised me one price for a year and another the 2nd year and have already renigged on that price within the first year.

15. User Score

March 15th, 2017

Was lied to at sales and promised a channel that ended up not being in the package I bought without ANOTHER package added. Then lied to two other times about possible solutions only to ultimately have to purchase additional package for channel. Seems predatory to me.

16. User Score

March 14th, 2017

Back in December, I was contacted by a “retention specialist” who promised me the world if I came back to DirecTV. I was told I wouldn’t pay receiver fees, I would get a Visa gift card, free NFL Sunday ticket and my bill would be $60/month. I thought that seemed too good to be true, but after verifying the rate multiple times, I agreed to drop my streaming service and went back to DirecTV. Every bill has been $79+ and I was reassured that it would be fixed and I would receive a credit…still nothing (3 months later!). Today I called again just to find out that she is “no longer with the company” and that they really can’t do anything. It would be up to me to contact Customer Service and try to get it resolved, but they can’t guarantee anything…way to take care of your customers!! I will be doing everything I can to get out of this contract and WILL NEVER subscribe to DirecTV again!

17. User Score

October 12th, 2016 Denver, CO

This is the same old complaint that the service is way to expensive and we don’t watch 1/2 the channels we get. I would prefer that we could pick and choose the channels we like. Our particular service has been grandfathered due to the fact we’ve had this service for years and I know it may go away in time. I’ve called many times and I tried to get a better deal but just can’t. I’ve even tried other companies and it seems impossible to get a better deal. I personally don’t care where the service comes from as long as its cheaper and doesn’t go bonkers when it rains.

18. User Score

October 1st, 2016 Wilmington, NC

Poor Customer service, spike in price. Cancelling service

19. User Score

September 27th, 2016 Apache Junction, AZ

Directv lies like heck. They tell you if you come back to them they will give you a 200 dollar visa card and when you do they wont give it to you.

20. User Score

August 19th, 2016

DirecTV and its outsourced field technicians Mastec refuse to service dishes they installed on roof tops. An arbitrary policy change by DirecTV unannounced to its long time customers, mandates that service technicians are forbidden to work on roofs and must install a new dish accessible by ladder only while leaving the previously existing dish and placing the burden of removal and disposal on the customer.

If unable to locate a position on the roof’s edge that will communicate with the satellites, the customer bears the added costs of installing a pole in the ground when instead a roof top installation would work perfectly.