Synchrony Bank Logo

3.1

LAST UPDATED: May 20th, 2022

The main focus of Synchrony Financial is establishing financial relationships between select sellers and buyers. After studying businesses with private label credit cards, like Walmart and Amazon, Synchrony Financial has been able to perfect their services and offerings, working with businesses and retailers to provide customers with hassle-free credit cards.

Instead of using Synchrony Financial's cards to purchase big ticket items, they are used to finance small purchases and future purchases, based on customer's available credit. Synchrony finances those purchases through Synchrony Bank, insured through the FDIC which means that your money is protected and that it is a safe bank.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and Synchrony Bank reviews.

Capital One 360 Logo
1.3
BBVA Compass Logo
#4 BBVA Compass chevron_right
2.2

The Good

• Online Help
  • High Yield Savings Account
  • Certificates of Deposit (CDs)
  • Money Market Accounts

Online Help

Synchrony Financial has a very helpful website. There is relevant information on it for everyone they work with. For businesses, Synchrony offers services through their business center, through which merchants can approve new applicants or access established accounts. The business center is also where credit limit increases are processed and payment options are selected. Using data from consumer purchasing patterns, merchants can develop sales that attract their customers.

For customers with personal accounts, Synchrony has a tool that allows you to compare Synchrony's annual percentage yield (APY) rates compared to dozens of other U.S. based banks. You can look at how much interest your money would make in a high-yield savings account, a money market account, or a certificate of deposit (CD). This tool allows you to see which rate will be the best according to the number of months you plan to have your money in the account.

For any of Synchrony Bank's accounts, you can manage your money directly from the Synchrony mobile app.

High Yield Savings Account

The high yield savings account from Synchrony Bank offers an interest rate of 2.15 percent APY no matter the balance in your account. This is one of the best interest rates among online savings accounts.

There is no minimum balance and no minimum deposit to start your account, and consumers can access their cash online, by phone, or via ATM. However, this account does not allow checking (writing checks).

Certificates of Deposit (CDs)

Certificates of deposit (CDs) with Synchrony Bank require a $2,000 minimum deposit. CD terms range from 3-60 months, and a three month CD will earn a 0.75 percent APY - the longer the CD (the more months), the higher the APY. A 60 month CD will earn 2.80 percent APY. After the minimum deposit of $2,000, your interest rate does not increase based on your deposit amount.

Synchrony Bank's CD rates are competitive compared to other banks, and individual retirement account (IRA) CDs are also available, an offering that is not true of all online banks.

Money Market Accounts

A money market account with Synchrony will earn a 1.20 percent APY. This account has no minimum balance, no minimum opening deposit, and no monthly service fees. It provides greater access to and flexibility with your money than Synchrony's savings accounts. With this account, you can write checks and make cash withdrawals online, by phone, or via ATM.

A money market account is a mix between a checking account and a savings account, and is a great option for when you want to earn interest on your cash, but don't want to tie up all your money. A retirement account option, an IRA Money Market Account is also available. Due to federal regulations, you can only make six withdrawals or transfers per month from a money market account.

The Bad

• Issues with fraudulent activity
  • Inaccurate Statements
  • Customer service

Issues with Fraudulent Activity

Even though Synchrony Financial offers very attractive products to their customers, there is a pattern of reviews complaining about fraudulent activity.

Some customers report that they were overcharged interest in their credit card accounts. This usually happened to customers who were ending a purchase and had only one payment left to make. Upon making a payment or receiving a statement, they found that they were charged additional interest for the entire amount of the purchase or far more than what was owed.

Inaccurate Statements

Some customers have received inaccurate bank and credit card statements. This of course would result in an accusation that a customer owed more money than they actually did. One review stated that a phone call was received about a "missed payment". When the customer proved to them that he had made the payment, they sent him a letter in which they acknowledged the payment, but the ending balance on the letter did not show the deduction of that payment.

There have also been scenarios in which accounts were cancelled without permission or prior notice, especially when there had been a time period of inactivity. These accounts were not delinquent and the period of inactivity was not very long.

Synchrony Financial has many customer reviews that report poor customer service. Common complaints include incorrect addresses and phone numbers on accounts, inability or refusal to return phone calls on unresolved issues, locking customers out of their accounts, being put on hold for extensive periods of time, and no follow up after customer representative states there would be such, in order to reverse clerical errors.

If you pay off your account early, Synchrony Financial may not view this as being in good standing. Instead of receiving a statement to close out the account, several customers state that they were charged additional interest fees, late fees or amounts. The effected clients experienced adverse credit scores and reports. This terrible customer service makes online banking with Synchrony very difficult.

The Bottom Line

If you choose to work with Synchrony Bank, you can expect reliable online and mobile banking and great interest rates. Synchrony Bank has great interest rates on several of its accounts and multiple ways to withdraw money and contact customer service. However, it has a reputation for overcharging. Customers complain about having to deal with fraud charges. Ironically enough, Synchrony Bank customers who decide to pay their accounts of early might want to retain a lawyer, because instead of maintaining a good credit score, they in fact may be penalized with late fees and a hit to their credit score.

Synchrony Financial looks good on the surface, but is lacking in the areas where it really counts. Customer service is not reliable and many customers have reported difficulties getting in contact with and working with Synchrony's customer service representatives. For more information, see our Synchrony Bank reviews below.

1.1

Vicki G Franklin, IN

Looks like the negative reviews didn't read the info on their credit card statement re: interest charged during a free interest period! I've used Snchrony Bank many times for interest free products and had no issues. Recently opened a CD and Andy was pleasant to work with.

Lauren Watkins Charlotte, NC

If I could give 1 star I would. I am only stuck with these bafoons because I applied for care credit, and it ended up being through them. Number one, the customer service professionals are the rudest nastiest most disrespectful smart mouthed people I have ever had to deal with. Incompetent is putting it nicely. Only talked two women there that I didn't have to curse out to be quite honest. I selected online to make the minimum payment for a total balance of 2,777 or something. It was like 272 or some odd number. Then all of a sudden come to find out they took the full balance from my account! When I called they insisted and wanted to argue back and forth about whether I did it or not, no I promise you I am a single broke mom. I'm very careful when I make payments online. I'm definitely not making a mistake like that and I remember exactly what I selected and even what it said when I was confirming my choice! They refuse to credit it back to your account and say they must send out a check. I have been waiting now for like a month for this check as they claim they had to investigate it or something yet they already put the full balance back on my account?!?! Not to mention, when I signed up and even my provider said its supposed to be payments deferred for like x amount of months, I think 12 or something. But they have been blowing my phone up 10 million times a day, all hours of the day and night leaving vm's, emails, texts, it's insane, right after the freaking surgery! I even called them and explained to them, look this was billed wrong this is actually going through insurance, can you chill with the calls while the claim is processed?! But no, it just never stops. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT find yourself entwined with this scam/crook of a company you will regret it greatly!

2 hours ago

Jim Brown Odessa, FL

Have had CDs with Synchrony for many years. Recently I have wanted to close them out as I have needed the money for other purposes. After waiting on hold for 15-20 for an agent to request to close the account, it takes them over 4 business days and then I have to call back again to complain that the account is still open. It shouldn't take over 4 days just to close the account and I'm not even talking about the time it would then take them to transfer the money to me. It's happened twice in the last 30 days and you have to wait on hold at least 20 mins to get a representative. The reps sound like they are at home (crying child in background). Synchrony used to be a reliable decent bank.. not any more.

2 hours ago

Amy Bruceton Mills, WV

I had a Care Credit card for emergencies and I used it for some dental work. I had interest free payments for 12 months, I paid it off and Synchrony closed it just days after paying it off thats been two or three years ago....I got accepted for a JcPenny card in 2019 not even realizing it was a Synchrony held account and I would use it on occasion and pay it off. I went to purchase a few pieces of clothing today and it's probably a good thing that I was ordering online and not standing in a store, the customer service lady was nice but when she told me that I no longer had an account that it had been closed by Synchrony on May 4th, 2022 I was livid never been late, never been over the limit and never had a problem. So I asked why did my account get closed she told me that I should have gotten a letter (I never received any letter) so she began reading to me what it said "lack of real estate info" "to many resolving credit cards with high balances" (um, I just paid several off and lowered most to not even a quarter of what my available credit is).....Well didn't think you had to own a house or anything to basically make you look like your credit sucks.. .. I will make sure I check what bank a card is carried by before I do anything cause I will not do business with Synchrony again

17 hours ago

GODisaRefuge4Us Boise, ID

I changed my mobile phone number. I updated it on the Synchrony bank website for my savings account. The next time I try to login, I'm prompted to verify using my phone number. There were 6 old phone numbers in the drop-down box. But the phone number I just added to my account 2 weeks earlier was not listed. So I couldn't login to my account. This has happened to me in the past. The Synchrony agent said my new phone hasn't been verified yet. What? Every other bank and credit card company let me change my phone number online and I could use it to login immediately. Not Synchrony. The agent said my new phone would be added in 2 months. Really? I can't access my account for 2 months? To make matters worse, the agent rudely talked over me several times. Account closed. Don't risk getting locked out of your account for 2 months just because you change your phone number.

1 day ago

Melanie Murosky Pittston, PA

I've had a Care Credit and JCPenney card with Synchrony for many years. I've never been behind or missed a payment. I would use both cards occasionally and pay them off without any problems. This was for over a decade. In September '21 I purchased a vehicle. That December I got a letter from Synchrony saying they were lowering my $900 limit to $400 (what I still owed on it at the time). I disputed this action since I'd been in good standing for over a decade. The customer service lady was incredibly rude and gave me false information about my review. They said my credit score was much much lower than it actually was and said they used my November rating. Now when I bought the vehicle I understood it may impact my credit (which i keep a very close eye on as I'm working to buy a home), but definitely not as much as they stated, so I filed the dispute as the rude lady recommended and nothing. Fast forward to May '22. I receive a letter out of the blue that they are closing my JCPenney account, which I had just paid off with a zero balance. They stated the same reasons as the first incident, even though I had done nothing differently and my credit was still going up. So it seems as my credit got better and I made strides to improve my utilization, that Synchrony will wait for a month when you've made a large purchase or had to use your other credit cards a bit more and site that your other open accounts aren't 'paid as agreed' which is total BS considering that with them and every other card company I deal with I have an exceptional payment history. This now will effect my credit which I have worked very hard to maintain. This has all occurred within 6 months of each other after a decade of using the cards and being in good standing with this company. I'm assuming in a few days I will receive a letter about my Care Credit account being lowered since I owe about $200 on the $400 I still use. I understand the fine print of them being able to do what they want at will but this is horrible business practice and leaves the consumer worse for the wear. It also destroyed any trust I held in this company. I'm not sure if this company got in some trouble during the pandemic or what's going on, but something isn't right here. This is also horrible for consumers credit which is always shaky at best for the average person. I will never open another card with this company if this is how they operate. Buyer beware.

Richard Ketterer Chicago, IL

Credit card rewards are a scam. I had a card with them specifically to finance a medical expense at no interest. Only thing I ever intended to use it for-when the debt was almost paid off, without my permission they switched it to a general Mastercard account and sent me a new card I didn't want. However, the card came with a promise of healthy rewards, including 5X the points on groceries for four months. I decided that was too good to pass up and began using the card for my weekly grocery store runs. I've since gone to redeem the points. Their rewards are opaque at best. The points you get seem random. And when you login-all the stuff on the website says that you get 2X the points on groceries yet I still get promotional materials that promise 5 points/dollar. I can't figure out-based on the amount of points I've received, if I'm getting the 5 points or the 2 points, but I suspect it's 2 points for every dollar. False advertising. Then I have attempted to redeem my rewards for statement credits multiple times and they just never process it. You submit, it depletes your point balance and acts like everything is done, but then you login and check your balance and the credit never appears and the points are back in your account. I intend to call and straighten it out-but this is not something I should have to spend an hour on the phone to do. If you have a rewards program, it should be transparent, and it should be easy to redeem the rewards. Closing this card, it's not worth the time/hassle no matter what rewards they supposedly offer.

Dawn Walker Kodak, TN

ZERO stars! It is fine until you need to access your money! They have a limit on bank transfers that is not stated anywhere on their website. Manager told me they would air freight a check because I needed more of our funds for a closing on our new home. They did not air freight the check for 2 days! I was on the phone with 3 different managers, for 3 hours, the last one "off shore" and NO ONE was able to help me or called me back. Filing complaint with Better Business Bureau also.

18 hours ago

Shannon G Santee, CA

I've had the card for a year. After a year of on-time payments, and paying more than the minimum, they cut my credit limit down to my current balance. So now it shows I am utilizing 100% of my credit limit and caused my credit score to drop 57 points. Of course, this happens right when I am shopping for a new car. I received no notice this was happening, and no explanation from Synchrony Bank.

Armin Brown TX

Gave no notice prior to taking action but decided to close one of my accounts because my “balance was too high” even though the card is paid off EVERY MONTH. Not minimum payments, paid down to $0 every month with no issues and no missed payments. Absolutely ridiculous. Thank you for making it even harder to build and maintain credit in an already horrible economic situation. Trash company I will never open a new account with you and I will close EVERY SINGLE ONE of my remaining accounts.

TED KOLLISTER Latonia, KY

Synchrony bank is a joke they closed 60k worth of credit accounts with no notice period I have been a loyal customer always paid my bills on time they said they were closed due to inactivity I have a good income so I don't need to rely on credit as much there's two reasons they closed my accounts 1 no swipe fees 2 no interest cause I paid off my accounts in full each month basically they didn't make a dime on me cause I don't carry a balance on any of my cards I'm done with synchrony bank no more business with them

JoLan Robinson Syracuse, NY

NOT EVEN 1 STAR This bank who i had 13 accounts with closed all of them on the same day without any notice. I fully understand they have this option however they could have let me explain instead of classifying me as a payment risk .I was never late on any payments and still was not. My credit score went down due to my bank going from one mortgage company to another and when they did this my score went down over a hundred points. I called numerous times and they said once your account is closed that they cannot reopen that account but i can reapply and my accounts are in good standing, again if that was the case why were they closed

Jeff Woo Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

Worst customer service ever. Never received an item and opened a dispute. It took them a year to figure things out and by then they said it has been over 120 days and they cannot issue refund, even though I initiated the dispute within 14 days of initial purchase.

23 hours ago

P williams Villa Rica, GA

Do not get a credit card that uses Synchrony Bank. We purchase a house and got furniture from Rooms to Go and a bed from Sleep number but cards through Synchrony Bank. The only reason we did was because the no interest payments for 12 months. Two months before the cards were paid off and interest kicks in the bank closes both cards and say it due to non usage for three months. Who purchase furniture every three months. This messed up my credit and now I am looking at reviews they do it all the time and that is not fair.

Rita White Warrior, AL

Lost job and got behind on my care credit! No matter how much extra you pay showing you are trying to get caught up. They start blowing your phone up. Each time I speak with them it’s like talking to a wall. I am in the lending business this is very unacceptable. I am also paying for hearing aids that I can not use during the week at work. Just poor customer service. Good thing I am honest person.!! They will get the money!

Tina A Madison, WI

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SYNCHRONY BANK. They make offer for "no-interest and then, if you don't calculate exactly like they do, you won't pay the balance off in time and they will CHARGE YOU EXORBITANT, UNFAIR, AND GOUGING interest rates. I paid on Lumber Liquidators religiously, calculating monthly payments that would bring me to 0 for the end of the period. I was off. I begged them to help me out. They charged me $680+ interest when my remaining balance was only $500! That is OVER 50%! They are crooks that deliberately hide their rules and regulations. Yes, they charged me entire interest for the $2000+ loan for my flooring in 2020. RUN FAR AWAY FROM THIS BANK. THEY ARE INTEREST GOUGERS.

Deborah Jarrett Atlanta, GA

If I could give this disreputable company a -20 I would. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SYNCHRONY BANK. They do not respect the customer. They closed my RTG account with a 2000 dollar credit line, without notifying me. I had a zero balance and had paid them off for four different purchases. During the pandemic, I charged nothing due to uncertainty of financial markets. I did not want a large amount of debt. To my shock, they closed my account without notification. I called and got the true run around!!!! Sorry I did business with this awful company. If you have any accounts with Synchrony Bank, pay them off as soon as you can and drop them!!! They are the worst company ever and will screw up your credit rating in a heartbeat. I hate I even did business with this unscrupulous company. They should be reported to the FCC and any other credit WATCHDOG company because they are "true crooks." I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM EVER AGAIN!!!!!

P Breaux Bridge, LA

Synchrony's error created multiple charges on my credit card, and duplicate shipments of non-returnable items. These charges will remain reflected in my credit usage percentage of my FICO Score for 90 days. They went on to attempt to defer the responsibility of their errors of incompetence to me. Luckily, I didn't give them my bank account information. I'm going to refuse the shipments, and tell the merchant and Synchrony that I intend to pay nothing to anyone. And if they put derogatory marks on my credit report (which is FLAWLESS) I will sue them. I absolutely discourage use of a Synchrony Bank credit card. At best, they are a very disorganized company, and at worst, a bunch of con artists. DO NOT open a line of credit with them. I'm closing my account tomorrow, and washing my hands of them. I'll let The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau handle this nonsense. Absolute nonsense. The Feds need to shut Synchrony down.

Deegan Adams San Jose, CA

Called 3 times to handle a CC issue. First rep gave me the wrong info, but I was happy because it seemed to solve my problem until I used the information he gave me and the company said "no, thats not correct" I then called back to get the proper info and they had removed my account from the online portal. When I asked about this they couldnt give me an answer as to why this happened. I asked to speak to a manager. 5 minutes go by and the same customer service rep gets back on telling me the manager doesnt have time to talk and I need to call the company again. These people dont care about you , and more importantly they dont e en care about the company they work for. They are an obvious international call center that has not had the proper training to handle the issues of their customers. Synchrony doesnt care about you, nor even trying to retain their customers. Taking out a low interest loan to pay off ONLY the synchrony cards and then never again !

craig Minneapolis, MN

Do not finance through this company. I repeat. Do not finance through this company. I signed a contractual clause with Synchrony Bank. I was paying off the debt every month as agreed upon in a timely fashion. Then out of the blue Synchrony Bank decides to charge additionally over three hundred dollars in fraudulent charges. This was in addition to the exorbitant interest rates. This was in the middle of the pandemic! Then they try to justify these fraudulent charges which was not in the contractual agreement. I am not making this up people. They added an addition three hundred dollars in payments and tried to justify it through some fancy mumble jumble. These a holes are ripping off poor people in the middle of a pandemic. They have no conscious or soul and are going to hell in a hurry because God is watching. These criminals need to be locked up. I could not pay out of general principle and they want to ruin my credit score.

Dennis Tustin, CA

They are a rip off!!! I opened a Harbor Freight CC which is Synchrony bank. The offer was 10% off my first order which was $743.00 1 item. I’ve never got the 10% off and when I call, I sit on the phone for over an hour before hanging up. Horrible customer service !!! They also send the paper bills late or not at all then charge you $27 for being late cause you never got the bill. This bank is a joke and Harbor Frieght should change banks!! I’m paying this off and cancelling it. BEWARE of this bank!! They are thieves and customer service can barely speak English so good luck trying to talk to them if they do answer the phone!!!

Carol Vandenberg Commerce, MI

I am unable to login to my account. It tells me my information is incorrect. I entered it more than once in case I made the error. I still got the same message even though I have two cards through Synchrony. Another issue occured setting up auto pay. They indicated I wanted Minimum Payment even though I indicated Balance to be Paid in Full. Also they do not send out email notices when they receive a payment. This is the only company I have worked with that does not fo that. My close friend had issues with Synchrony so we got together several official documents and sent ithem all certified mail and Synchronoly still managed to screw it up, not acknowlefing one payment that they received in the certified documents. When we tried to reach someone in Customer Severice, we had to liten to at least thee recorded advertisements and never could reach anyone to address our concerns. I am ready to cancel any credit cards affilisted with Synchrony. I don't know how they can get away with being a company dealing with any kind of finance.

dwerth1 Renton, WA

Tryed to open a savings account only to be told that we had to wait 60 days for online access.After numerous long wait times and no help whatsoever we were told that 60 days is the normal wait time to open an online account.BEWARE

Gregory Fowler Portland, OR

Over a 10 day period I tried to transfer an ira to this bank. Their system wouldn’t allow me to access their online banking. I placed multiple calls, always being placed on hold. Again and again. They finally fedexed me a code, call again, placed on hold multiple times again. Opening an account shouldn’t be thus hard. I’m bringing them business. Why did they create such a difficult process? I finally just gave up and went to another institution. Wasted 10 days of effort!

JeepnitNC Charlotte, NC

I went to discount tire to get new tires. Offer was interest free for 6 months. I paid off my balance in 5. Now I am fighting a fraud charge and they are saying it's me. I live on the east coast and charge was in California. I have never been to California in my life and have no family there! This company is the fraud! My credit will be ruined. I will have to get a lawyer to fight them and see a class action lawsuit coming. DO NOT USE SYCRONY! I was hung up on multiple times and left on hold to rot by the indian cartel. I repeat! Do NOT USE THESE PEOPLE!

Jeff Heatwole Spokane, WA

Recently charged 300 in Interest when I was told there would be no interest for 6 months. So that means they just piled up the interest and tacked it all on in the seventh month. I pay more than the minimum every month and they are making it so I can’t even pay off a small loan of 3k. I’ve payed this company over 500 in Interest and late fees on a 3k loan! That’s insane!!!!! Stay away if you’re struggling financially. These people are sharks.

give-me-a-break Junction City, KS

Syncrony bank will automatically renew your CD without your knowledge or approval. Once renewed, its very difficult to get your money back. My CD matured on March 31. On April 1 they renewed it. I noticed on April 3 and told them that is not what I wanted. They said it would cost me $800 to get my money back. On top of that, they have been telling me for the last week that my money would be returned "today" and they still have my money.

Mark Skellenger Westlake, OH

Synchrony bank Credit cards are not suitable for business owners. My cards keep getting declined for nonexistent, but suspected, fraud. To reconcile, it typically takes 45 to 60 minutes, proving my identity 4 different ways and repeating my contact information three and sometimes four times to different people. I have to get offline, take a video of myself and relog in where I go to the back of the line and have to, once again, prove my identity. If your time is worth anything, you will use a different card. I have had it and I will cancel this account after I've cooled down.

Lavon Chandler Powell, TN

If I could give 0 stars I would, do not trust this company at all. They are liars. My experience with them has worse than any other company. So my story is I had 8 cards with this company: sams club, belk, old navy, jcpenny, chervon, care credit, rooms 2 go and car care. I had a total of $72,000 over the 8 cards and was using only $3,900 of my balance. I was never late in 7 years nor did i go over my credit limit. They gave me credit limit increases and even upgraded 2 of my cards to mastercards. They closed all my accounts and didnt even notify me. They claim to have send me letters stating I was at high risk of not being able to pay back. Now I mind you, I only had balances on 3 credit cards again all together totalling $3,900. The real truth is, Barclay brought out old navy, and they are probably going bankrupt and scared that I would go on a shopping spree and not pay them back. Company is a joke spend your money else where I know I will going forward, sychrony bank nor its stores will ever get my money again.

Shea Danner Winter Garden, FL

Went on CareCredit and chose the Prequalify option- it states “see if you prequalify without impacting your credit score”. Long story short, after inputting my information a message comes up & says I need to call, which I do. The lady tells me they need to verify my identity before I can continue with the process. She says I need to go to verify.syf.com I do, I follow the procedures & when I get to the part about taking a picture of the barcode on my DL it’s blurry & every attempt I made I was told it wouldn’t process. Then I get a message to call another # due to the problem. I’m informed that my application was denied! What application? I was told I needed to have my identity verified to continue to be able to proceed with the pre qualification. Then I see that I have an email from credit karma that says I have a hard credit hit from Synchrony Bank! WHAT! Why did they pull my credit when I picked the Prequalify tab, & do it without verifying my identity!!!! I’m livid, & the call to SB resulted in nothing but horrible customer service. Never again

Willow Doots Dallas, PA

Worst company ever to get a credit card from. They way they do things online in your account is smoky and very sketchy! i see they post transactions that weren't even transactions to begin with BECAUSE THEY DECLINED MY DISCOVER CARD FROM THEM THREE TIMES AT PLACES WITH AUTO-RELATED PRODUCTS SUCH AS GAS STATIONS. Sure you get their little ad in the mail stating you can use it anywhere where it is auto-related because it's a Mavis Discover card via Synchrony bank, UNfortunately!! Have you got a purchase declined when using the useless card at auto-related places yet? And synchrony shows on your account activity that it was a purchase you made but was declined yet dumb Synchrony doesn't specify the transaction as "DECLINED" yet they only make you think that you got charged and get you all upset and pissd off! and then call them on the phone, the rep says they know it was a declined transaction and won't be charged to your account next month. Really?? How does that even make sense?? In fact, they should NOT even post declined transactions on your online activity. Synchrony Bank has a really stupid modus operandi there!!

Henny Henny West Hartford, CT

Worst bank ever if you want your credit ruined for the dumbest of reasons or no reason at all . Get synchrony. I have had 3 bad experiences and plan on closing all accounta with them . First was walmart when they used them after pay8ng off my bill in full . They closed my account and never said why. Second tjmax card I paid bill and somehow it was charge back they didn't even let me correct the problem they reduced the credit line to the most unnecessary amount. Dropping me 75 points. Than my Care Card . I had a limit of $1800 used 1500 And after I made a 900 dollar payment. They dropped my limit to 680 the following month. This bank gives you no opportunity or chance you cant even fight it after they done it. Now everywhere I apply I make sure I ask what bank because if it's them I'm good on that m capital one us your best bet anything else is ! This people don't even believe on a late fee . They are horrible.

Aisha Muhammad Dallas, TX

I have had two experiences with Synchrony bank. One card was through care credit a card used for medical expenses. Well, without cause they reduced my credit limit by a few thousands dollars even though I made all my payments on time. Later, they canceled my card all together even though I had paid off everything. I was never late. Second experience was through a furniture store who used Synchrony bank. Once again while making my payments on time and never being late on payments they cut my credit limit by half. Both times drastically affecting my overall credit score. I would not recommend using them. I have been bit twice.

MAH Kennesaw, GA

I had a 8k credit line I chose during the pandemic to NOT use due to uncertainties, I was notified yesterday, on April 1st Synchrony dropped my line of credit to 1k for nonuse. I was informed by one representative HSN had attempted to contact me via mailings to use my account for at least 4 months. I paid HSN the brand for Synchrony over $400 on 3/2021 to pay off the account during the uncertain times. Then I was informed by an account manager something had changed on my credit report, this is absolutely false, and a lie. I monitor my credit daily, including my scores and utilization. I signed for my son an ATV in order for him to be accepted at a lower rate, otherwise nothing has changed if anything I pay my credit aggressively and use my credit wisely and monthly. This is nothing more than a ploy for HSN / Synchrony to have consumers charge up accounts to charge them fees if they do not pay for the accounts timely or before the 0%. After the poor excuse given by the representative and the blatant lie, I canceled my account and I am filing a complaint a with CFPB. 8k taken from my credit lines is a significant drop on a credit utilization in comparison with all cards. I do not plan to stop here. How many credit accounts is Synchrony doing this to in order to force them to purchase and rack debt up???? MAH - suburbs of Atlanta, GA

Sonya Heath Livonia, MI

Horrible!!! One star is too much. I wish I didn’t have to check any. Just took out a loan to close each and every card I have from them. Like the other reviews. I’ve made all payments on time but get email messages from them regarding lowering credit limit then eventually closing accounts for no relevant reason at all. Extremely damaging to my credit score. I’d rather take one hit and close them all than wait for them to do it. If you have a choice go with Comenity Bank. They are a much more upstanding company. Please don’t open any credit with Synchrony. Mark my words. You’ll regret it.

Elizabeth Estrada Aurora, CO

I would have given 0 stars if that was actually an option. Yes while it’s 0 interest for 5 years, don’t dare make a payment 1 day late. Yes I understand 1 day is 1 day but really!!!! Well you will incur a late fee immediately! My fault for selecting the wrong account to make a payment. Luckily I check my bank accounts and saw that the payment was not processed so immediately I went back to the website and selected the correct account, but one day too late. I already had a late fee. I have the credit I have because I pay my bills on time. I made an error ONE TIME!!! One day shouldn’t be considered late if the error was corrected! Well then because I figured they surely saw the payment was made, the late fee would be waived. NOPE instead the minimum rate of payment was raised and another late fee was added because I didn’t pay the new minimum payment with added late fee. Which was so confusing to me. I tried to speak to a “manager” that sounded like she had no life in her or as if I had board her with “my complaints”. She was absolutely no help just sat on the line breathing and said nothing could be done. All I was needing was for it to be explained to me, which did not happen. Nonetheless I ended up paying BOTH LATE FEES, paid the account off and hope to never have to deal with this bank again. Take you’re business elsewhere.

Lynn Galloway Clover, SC

If I could leave zero stars I would. I have several dept store cards issued by Synchrony. I've paid on time and above my minimum payment and had my credit limit continuously lowered for no reason. Opened with 1300-1500 balance. I paid down to 650, they lowered my limit to 650 so instead of utilizing 50% I looked like I was utilizing 100%, so then I paid that in half, guess what? They lowered to that. So my next payment I'll pay it off and close it myself, not dealing with this. I have 2 other cards issued by them and closing them all. Better to take the temp hit for closing than for what they're doing. They even closed a card we had jointly because we hadn't used it enough, but how often do normal people buy mattresses?! Oh and when they lower your credit it has nothing to do with how you've paid. The letter I've received said: 1. No loans for real estate (ok I wasn't employed at the time of purchase but I'm on the deed) 2. Student loans not paid down enough (in not required to. They're in forebearance with the rest of the country!) 3. Credit card balanced too close to limits (well duh you keep lowering my limit each time I just my balance down lower) I'd like to say I have cards with Comenity bank and this has never been an issue. In ready to pay these synchrony jokers off and wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. Avoid them at all costs. Every bad review here is similar because they're true!

Sa Bellevue, WA

Even though my account has always been in good standing—I have never missed or have ever been late on a single payment, they suddenly reduced my credit limit on my store card. Then, a month later, they canceled my store card. I had used my card recently, so it wasn’t canceled due to inactivity. Just days prior to canceling, they did an unsolicited hard query on my credit. `Queries I made to them about this were directed to India, where the staff promised to look into the situation, but never reported back to me as promised—I was never confident they understood the nature of my query. They are a nightmare to deal with. I am 70 years old and have an excellent 100% rating with the 3 main credit bureaus. My credit is all I have as a retiree these days, yet for the past six years it has been a terrible fight trying to deal with these people. They are a disgusting mob of imbeciles. From here, I will file a formal complaint with the BBB.

Damian Nash Youngstown, OH

I had synchrony for years. There interest rates were high, but not the highest, and there customer service was basic. They really have upset me by canceling my accounts for ridiculous reasons. I have used their discount tire card. Bought tires and paid off bill several times. Then they closed my card. I had a care credit card in which I did the same. They now closed that account and gave a ridiculous reason of my credit rating dropping and lack of use. I had a perfect payment history with them and now have to reapply for their service. If they didn't appreciate my good payment history with them why should I give them my business. I will find alternative credit services. The lack of notification or discussion really showed their poor customer service and viewing their customers as numbers and not people.

Amy Macdonald Ocala, FL

Don't take a trip because they shut down your card and won't put it back on. I responded immediately to initial text that it was me using the card, as well as email and it said I was good to go. Card was still declined. I then called and gave the defraud rep my last purchase as well as code he texted to me. He said I was good to go as of now. I went to use the card and Declined. Then I called again and they wanted me to send a video of myself and pic of my ID and within 24 to 48 hrs the card should be usable. I explained I am in Disney world with my daughter and need access right now. And I was told there was nothing they could do. So I cancelled the card. She then informed me that I should have contacted them before going out of state. I have never had a problem like this with other cards. I said I paid the card off before the trip so we would have great vacation with plenty of cash. Totally ruined my trip. I hate Synchrony.

Kathleen LaFratta Fall River, MA

Why do I have to give these criminals any stars at all? It starts with another crooked organization, QVC. So I stupidly get the CC since they were offering a $75 statement credit and it was Xmas. Never got the credit 😪 despite 11 phone calls and 3 letters to QVC and Synchrony. Now I have 4 or 5 small purchases on " value pay. " I also returned a couple of items. At no time did my balance ever go above $200. But despite making my payments on time every single month, and not buying any thing else, my balance just keeps going up! I called Synchrony and I get the same guy every time! He tries to double talk me, and make it seem my fault somehow. He even had the nerve to tell me I should pay more every month! I am thinking about going to a lawyer. This is so wrong, I have great credit but I fear this organization of gangsters is gonna ruin me.

Geri Ciciura Greenwood, IN

Had a Lowe's card with them for a number of years. We had a no interest balance. I was on auto pay. I just had one returned payment as my employer's PayChex servicer paid us one day later than usual. I immediately made another payment on the account and they put the auto pay through again so they got a double pay and I still got a late fee but that was okay. Then my credit bureau told me they had closed my account. They knew before I did! Finally got a letter from Synchrony and they made it sound like I was late more than once. When I called no on could find a previous record of being late more than that one time. Then I was told I needed to check the terms and conditions. I did, and of course, it is at their discretion basically to do what ever they want, when they want. I am SOL and my recent rise in credit score has now slid. They got you coming and going if you are trying to build your credit. Another card I have just raised my limit from 2000 to 14,900! What the hell is going on! Plan to pay off the Lowe's card and dispute it on my credit report.

Heather Schaeper West Chester, OH

As a consumer, I am concerned about Synchrony Banks affiliation with merchants. They have allowed Ashley/Morris Home Furniture to fraudulently use my card to the time of thousands of dollars and has sided with the merchant without asking for additional information from myself. I have since re-disputed, they claimed they have requested information. I have supplied to them, in writing, the merchants acknowledgement of damaged goods and credits to my account. I will update if any changes are made but at this point I believe I will have to utilize resources outside of synchrony bank to ensure I am not charged for items I have not received, ordered, or received damaged, but this was not part of the protection plan Synchrony stated in their agreement.

Dale Holub Hudson, OH

Just took out a Care Credit card for our vet visits. Took my dog and charged amount to the card. They never sent me a bill in the mail or online. I had no idea when the first payment was due. So, of course they put a hold on my card and charged me a late fee. I am currently sitting on hold to speak to a manager because the agent I initially talked to was asking if I wanted some text for something. No idea what it was for, so I asked what it would do. She only repeated the same question again. I said I do not want to say "Yes" or "No" until I understand what I am saying it for. She then proceeds to raise her voice and say "I will repeat my question for a third time and I need a yes or no". I said I need to speak to her manager. That was 15 minutes ago. Still holding. Absolutely horrible company!!!! Worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Whitley Dean Whitney, TX

Terrible! Do not bank with them. They don’t tell you all the rules then the freeze your account for 90 days and you can’t do anything but wait for them to unfreeze it!

1 day ago

Dannett Miller Ringgold, GA

1 star is too many for this company!! Synchrony bank is terrible!! They are doing nothing but hurting credit scores by lowering limits and closing paid off accounts!! I have never been treated this way at all!! They have now closed 2 accounts and lowered 2 of my cards limits. Just awful!! I have always paid on time!!

edwina dahl Anaheim, CA

They want your money ....but you can't talk to anybody.....you are sent to them to make pmts for other companies but there is no one to talk to about the total ant owed t synchrony bank you don't sign up for synchrony bank you are sent there and there is no one to help you

Smiley Lexington, NC

Hello.I told them I was a victim of a scam I used my synchrony bank master card they said they were going to investigate the claim, all my accounts are paid on time next thing I know they checking my credit lowering my accounts to know fault of mine I will not do no more business with synchrony bank I will start looking into comenity bank

S Brandt Bath, PA

If I could give them -10 stars I would. I don’t know why it takes ten days to post a payment. I think they want it to bounce back so they charge you more. It’s a shame that some really good stores choose to deal with them.

Meryl Davis New York, NY

A dentist sent two fraudulent charges on my CARE CREDIT CARD for procedures he did not perform. An x-ray and my ledger as evidence I proved those procedures we’re not performed, but the dispute dept. sided with the crooked dentist. I am not paying a loan for procedures I didn’t have , so my card was cancelled, and a report sent to the credit bureau. Don’t use this bank - don’t use their CARE CREDIT card. The bank has terrible reviews . Synchrony Bank lost two big customers recently — they are no longer the issuer of GAP and WALMART credit cards