Synchrony Bank Logo

3.2

LAST UPDATED: December 7th, 2022

The main focus of Synchrony Financial is establishing financial relationships between select sellers and buyers. After studying businesses with private label credit cards, like Walmart and Amazon, Synchrony Financial has been able to perfect their services and offerings, working with businesses and retailers to provide customers with hassle-free credit cards.

Instead of using Synchrony Financial's cards to purchase big ticket items, they are used to finance small purchases and future purchases, based on customer's available credit. Synchrony finances those purchases through Synchrony Bank, insured through the FDIC which means that your money is protected and that it is a safe bank.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and Synchrony Bank reviews.

Capital One 360 Logo
CIT Bank Logo
#4 CIT Bank chevron_right
1.6
star star_half star_border star_border star_border

The Good

• Online Help
  • High Yield Savings Account
  • Certificates of Deposit (CDs)
  • Money Market Accounts

Online Help

Synchrony Financial has a very helpful website. There is relevant information on it for everyone they work with. For businesses, Synchrony offers services through their business center, through which merchants can approve new applicants or access established accounts. The business center is also where credit limit increases are processed and payment options are selected. Using data from consumer purchasing patterns, merchants can develop sales that attract their customers.

For customers with personal accounts, Synchrony has a tool that allows you to compare Synchrony's annual percentage yield (APY) rates compared to dozens of other U.S. based banks. You can look at how much interest your money would make in a high-yield savings account, a money market account, or a certificate of deposit (CD). This tool allows you to see which rate will be the best according to the number of months you plan to have your money in the account.

For any of Synchrony Bank's accounts, you can manage your money directly from the Synchrony mobile app.

High Yield Savings Account

The high yield savings account from Synchrony Bank offers an interest rate of 2.15 percent APY no matter the balance in your account. This is one of the best interest rates among online savings accounts.

There is no minimum balance and no minimum deposit to start your account, and consumers can access their cash online, by phone, or via ATM. However, this account does not allow checking (writing checks).

Certificates of Deposit (CDs)

Certificates of deposit (CDs) with Synchrony Bank require a $2,000 minimum deposit. CD terms range from 3-60 months, and a three month CD will earn a 0.75 percent APY - the longer the CD (the more months), the higher the APY. A 60 month CD will earn 2.80 percent APY. After the minimum deposit of $2,000, your interest rate does not increase based on your deposit amount.

Synchrony Bank's CD rates are competitive compared to other banks, and individual retirement account (IRA) CDs are also available, an offering that is not true of all online banks.

Money Market Accounts

A money market account with Synchrony will earn a 1.20 percent APY. This account has no minimum balance, no minimum opening deposit, and no monthly service fees. It provides greater access to and flexibility with your money than Synchrony's savings accounts. With this account, you can write checks and make cash withdrawals online, by phone, or via ATM.

A money market account is a mix between a checking account and a savings account, and is a great option for when you want to earn interest on your cash, but don't want to tie up all your money. A retirement account option, an IRA Money Market Account is also available. Due to federal regulations, you can only make six withdrawals or transfers per month from a money market account.

The Bad

• Issues with fraudulent activity
  • Inaccurate Statements
  • Customer service

Issues with Fraudulent Activity

Even though Synchrony Financial offers very attractive products to their customers, there is a pattern of reviews complaining about fraudulent activity.

Some customers report that they were overcharged interest in their credit card accounts. This usually happened to customers who were ending a purchase and had only one payment left to make. Upon making a payment or receiving a statement, they found that they were charged additional interest for the entire amount of the purchase or far more than what was owed.

Inaccurate Statements

Some customers have received inaccurate bank and credit card statements. This of course would result in an accusation that a customer owed more money than they actually did. One review stated that a phone call was received about a "missed payment". When the customer proved to them that he had made the payment, they sent him a letter in which they acknowledged the payment, but the ending balance on the letter did not show the deduction of that payment.

There have also been scenarios in which accounts were cancelled without permission or prior notice, especially when there had been a time period of inactivity. These accounts were not delinquent and the period of inactivity was not very long.

Synchrony Financial has many customer reviews that report poor customer service. Common complaints include incorrect addresses and phone numbers on accounts, inability or refusal to return phone calls on unresolved issues, locking customers out of their accounts, being put on hold for extensive periods of time, and no follow up after customer representative states there would be such, in order to reverse clerical errors.

If you pay off your account early, Synchrony Financial may not view this as being in good standing. Instead of receiving a statement to close out the account, several customers state that they were charged additional interest fees, late fees or amounts. The effected clients experienced adverse credit scores and reports. This terrible customer service makes online banking with Synchrony very difficult.

The Bottom Line

If you choose to work with Synchrony Bank, you can expect reliable online and mobile banking and great interest rates. Synchrony Bank has great interest rates on several of its accounts and multiple ways to withdraw money and contact customer service. However, it has a reputation for overcharging. Customers complain about having to deal with fraud charges. Ironically enough, Synchrony Bank customers who decide to pay their accounts of early might want to retain a lawyer, because instead of maintaining a good credit score, they in fact may be penalized with late fees and a hit to their credit score.

Synchrony Financial looks good on the surface, but is lacking in the areas where it really counts. Customer service is not reliable and many customers have reported difficulties getting in contact with and working with Synchrony's customer service representatives. For more information, see our Synchrony Bank reviews below.

1.1

K Fae Grand Rapids, MI

Well they were great and convenient until I started the autopay. Payment was sent on the due day but would be charged from $29 to $41 in late fees on the day payment was due. Never mind that some months, I made 2 payments. Then all of sudden no notice, account closed within 7 days when an autopayment did not show on their end. In order to open the account, the stated to reapply...why they hell would I want to have new credit apply on my credit report and then lose more points for them closing the account. Est balance 1600. If you really need this, don't do autopay and don't make payment the day it's due. You'll be charged late fees.

Michelle06 Memphis, TN

I should have seen the red flags from having an Ashley Stewart account with them for years. My credit limit was $100 which was fine that's all I needed to stay within my budget. After about 2 years, out of the blue, my limit was raised without my asking, to $500. Okkaaayyy.. what's going on?? My credit with A/S was great, I had 2 missed payments about 1 year earlier, out of work but still struggled and made those payment. Here it is 4 years later, excellent payment history, those bums won't even waive those 2 payment, so I could clean up my scores overall. So, here I am years later, in November,2022, about the 1st week, I applied for the Sam's Credit Card. It has been totally down hill and I haven't even got the card yet!!!It took 3 weeks for them to mail the card only for it to be sent to the wrong address, Customer Svc. Rep. bad typing had my name, address incorrect whereas, it was undeliverable. I called the first time only to get someone that spoke terrible English, sounded like they were reading from a prompt. This person could hardly understand what I was saying, OK, I'm like I will call back tomorrow and get a better person....NOT!!! This one was even worse and had the nerve and audacity to try to talk over me as a customer. OK, no answers on where the card is and when do I get another one sent. 2nd go round, a well versed person in English explained she would have my card sent FedEx, would receive in about 3 day, and would have to sign for it. I advised her at that time that I could not be there, well chickey said just let them attempt delivery, and then you can go to a Hold Location, and just pick it up. All lies detected. Could not do no such thing since it required a signature. It will be sent back to them after this attempt. which is today. I just like at a tennis match, looking from east to west. The 3rd person today tells me I have to wait another 2 weeks, yes, it wont arrive until AFTER Christmas. The whole purpose was to catch some great deals for gifts. buy groceries, gas, etc. all at one place, and pay the sucker down on my next pay period. Yeah. they have a real plan for us, after reading these other reviews. THIS HAS BEEN THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER, WITH ANY CREDIT CARD BANK I HAVE EVER USED!!! So i get to do none of that, but when I do get that sucker trust me, its going to go where it needs to go. Before that, I got approved, went online to shop at Sam's going to pay using my debit card, fine no problem. Ready to check out, my cart loaded, my card number (new Card) pops up asking if I want to swipe the new account, mind you I haven't got the card Yet). I'm Ok with that, keep my other fund, and pay for this next month, I was surprised that it was already loaded into my Sam's account, I paid for items in the warehouse AND went and got gas..no card, scanned the QR code, good to go. Fast forward, 2 weeks later still no card, low on gas. Get in line to get totally embarrassed. Didn't have my bank card, so I used the Sam's card to fill up, mind you I'm almost out. Sit until my turn, scan the QR code with my phone, now its asking for the security code from the card!!! I don't have one yet. So my question was why was I allowed to purchase initially without the code?? This has been a complete horror story and for me it has not ended. I'm not sure when or if I will ever get my card. And when I do, it will be right there with Ashley Stewart drawing dust, I would close them both but I'm trying for a mortgage, closing accounts this close won't look good. So I'll just spend my normal $20, pay them 2 weeks in advance as another customer suggested, to avoid any flumped up charges, to keep them active until I get clear of my ultimate goal. This is the worst bank ever, wish i had read the reviews first. Customer service is the worst, they will tell you anything, never accommodating to the customer.

Delta Arch (Deltaarchitecture) Aliso Viejo, CA

Synchroy bank ia a thief It looked into every possible way to charge me. First through Patpay. It kept sending me unjustified statements, and I had to keep calling them and explain. In response they said okay we will run an investigation. But they di not!. So finally, I was fed up I cloed my paypal account and filed a complaint with the Consumer Protection Department of the Attorny General of California. It worked they stoped sending me statments. Unsuccessful through paypal, now they turned to Amazon. They created an Amazon store card for me and began sending me statements. The amount they are charging is quite insignificant, it is about $8. But imagine if they do this illegal activity for 50 milion people they will make millions of dollars. Isn't it about time that somebody in this country take Synchrony bank to court?

Lawrence J Beck Rockwood, TN

Is Synchrony Bank a partner with Pep Boys in scamming customers? In May 2022, I experienced the 3rd or 4th time issues with my OEM battery on my 2017 auto not charging/starting. I therefore, after taking my daughter to work, stopped by Pep Boys to have the charging system, etc checked. At that time they stated that the system was fine but the battery was only showing a 40% life. Since the battery was so old I went ahead and purchased a new one. A month later, I was experiencing the same issue, unable to start the auto. I once again dropped my daughter off at work, then stopped at PepBoys to once again have the system checked. All a-ok I’m told, however, there is a corroded part that prevents the system from charging/starting properly. Ok order the part and let me know when it is in for installation. Told to come in the next day, I show up and part is not in. Come back tomorrow I’m told. That happened 3 times and after the 3rd time I told Pep Boys to cancel the order, they argued but I said cancel. That was the last time I spoke to anyone at Pep Boys, about mid-July. That day in the mail I received a bill from Synchrony Bank, showing a $214 charge and a 2nd $214 charge, neither had any description. I called the bank and they opened a fraud check on the account. I also, after an argument with the bank had the account closed, they at first stated that they could not close the account, thus the argument. A couple of weeks later the bank sent an online letter stating that the charges were applied in error prior to the purchase completion. So I thought ok that’s it. Then in September 2022, I received another statement showing both charges as well as late fee charges. Once again I contacted the bank, once again the bank stated they would look into the issue. No letters from the bank, only silence. However, I am now in late November been subject to 2, 3, 5 phone calls per day for weeks from the bank demanding payment. So I wonder if Pep Boys and Synchrony Bank are partners in ripping off customers. That is especially since, in July, I checked the battery and noted that the connections on the supposed corroded part were very loose. I tighten down and have had ZERO charging/starting issues. Leads me to wonder if there was any issue even as far back as May other than loose connections.

LYDIA wallace Dickinson, TX

Do not do business with this bank. I always make my payment way before the due date and I double my payment. They will take the payment out of my bank account right away but will not apply the payment until weeks later. You will be charged a $40.00 late fee. They are the worst bank ever. Save yourself the trouble and don't get sucked into their dark web. I make a payment this month and they took the amount out twice. They are operating out of India and have no customer service. I stayed on hold for one hour. I opened an account for $1,000.00 and after I had the account almost paid off they lowered my available credit to $500.00 without notice. They are horrible. A nightmare. The Attorney General needs to know about their actions. I am going to get the word out to everyone I can.

Jairo Baez Philadelphia, PA

The worst card that can exist, they closed my account for an extra payment that I made and the transaction was not made, it was not even the minimum payment, I made it because I wanted to pay something extra and they closed it without even giving notice

Kaye Dolphin Raleigh, NC

A nightmare too unbelievable for words. Ultimately I had to pay over $500 more than I should have due to incredible miscommunication and inefficiency between Synchrony Bank and Ashley Home Furnishings (where Synchrony provided financing for furniture I purchased ). I STRONGLY caution anyone from doing business with either of these organizations. Or, more accurately - "disorganizations".

Pasty Dunbar Hendersonville, TN

First, there is something wrong with a supposedly established company that doesn't easily give you a contact number. When you do find the number, good luck getting past the automated system which continually tells you it can help when it obviously can't but gives you the runaround. Even the written response I received, after messaging the online support did not contain a number, nor did it address the problem. Then there is the matter of actually paying the monthly amount before the due date, but you are still charged a late fee. Also, paying above the amount owed only to have your balance increase even when it is supposed to be a zero percent loan. You have the information and proof that you paid it, but it doesn't matter. So then, to protect your credit rating you decide to completely pay it off. On a zero balance for some reason, you get another charge. You pay off that charge only two days later to have an even higher charge on a zero balance. No response. No correction. It's a scam. From this point on I will never purchase from another company that uses Synchrony Bank as their lender. That includes you, Amazon. You can keep your card as I will never use it again. Goodbye Rooms to Go and LL Flooring too. We are done.

renejohnson Columbus, OH

Beware of their Promo Balances - you will pay "retroactive" interest to the tune of thousands of dollars if you don't pay that promo balance TOTALLY OFF. For some reason, I was stupid and thought that the interest would "start" not be "retroactive". Please read all of your terms and conditions. Their customer services is all exceptionally rude and obstinate. They will not help you or even listen to you at all. At the end of the day, I am going to end up paying four times the value of their "Value City" furniture, when I had the full payment in cash in my pocket when I went shopping but allowed (again stupid me) the salesman to talk me into one of these PROMO Balance credit cards. The Promo Balance kicked in after I paid over 1/3 of the first balance, which doubled my balance and threw me over my credit limit. They then proceeded to charge me over the limit fees AND closed my account even when I was paying my bill on time, every time, and paying over my minimum due. As an added bonus, after no late payments, and paying over the minimum, they closed my account (due to my credit score they said). So this dinged my credit score even more. All I can say to you is to please slow down and read your terms and conditions and make sure you "Understand" what they mean. I didn't. And never do business with this company because they will "FINISH" you even when you continue to pay on time and over the minimum. Lastly, if you have the money in your pocket like I did at the time, just go ahead and pay cash for the furniture...... I hope this helps someone!

D L Lafayette, IN

This bank is the worst! They hold payments past due date to collect fees. they get payment and do not process payments. I have never had such trouble with a credit card company. They handle Sam's Club and JCPennys and more I am sure. I had both and it happened with both. Closed the accounts when I seen what happens.

Derrick J Calexico, CA

Very shady company. I’ve had a credit card from one of Synchrony’s partners for almost two years. Every time I make a payment, which I always do well before the due date and never go over my limit, they take the funds from my bank account right away but then take another week or more to post my updated available balance. They’re sitting on that money and drawing interest but delaying allowing the customer to access it. They need to be investigated.

VS Atlanta, GA

Totally frustrating experience. Made application for tjmax card in store . told me to speak to someone to verify info . Called number 4 different occasions no answer. 5th time I spoke to someone who sent me to a website. which would never open. Got a letter and called that number and the rep wanted me to go to the same website that never opened. Just a stupid disorganized mess and waste of time.

Rita Clayton Leesburg, FL

Synchrony bank accidently drafted the entire balance of my loan from my checking account as opposed to the three hundred dollars I authorized. They left me overdrawn 1600.00 and told me it would take 3 weeks to return my money via snail me. Even though they left me penniless electronically with ease. After alerting their representative about the problem, they were still set up to remove the entire balance of my loan once a month.

Kat Kalkofen Louisville, CO

Would rate 0 if I could. Second bad experience. Both times I had issues with returned payments that appeared to go through and then got emails or letters weeks later with return payment fees. Both times they closed my account, hurting my credit score. This last time was for PayPal credit. I called and asked to pay in full over the phone and demanded they close my account. I was told there was no way to pay over the phone. I was asked to "give them a chance", that "these things happen and are common" (bank connection Issues), that there "would be no credit score issues or fees." They asked me not to take such "drastic actions such as requesting to close an account." I explained that I was concerned about my credit score and didn't want any more problems with supposed late or missed payments. They ASSURED me that everything was fine. I told them the balance (that they wouldn't take over the phone) online showed zero so there was NO WAY TO PAY ONLINE they said, "yes, Mam. It will take a few days to re-appear on your account. Wait for it to re-appear, disconnect and re-connect your bank and try again. No problem at all." Three days after this conversation they closed my account, dinging my credit score. I'm reporting them to the BBB and going to my credit union to consult with someone as to what kind of further action I can take. This business needs to be stopped.

Tyrone Tenschert Columbus, OH

NEVER USE AUTOPAY! Synchrony processess auto payments on the due date after the 5 pm cutoff for payments. No matter what date you select for payments, the bank will always charge you a late fee first and then process your payment. Therefore, every month your payment will be late and you will be charged up to $41 per month for a late payment. It’s a horrible way to conduct business. I would say Synchrony is walking the razor’s edge when it comes to being fraudulent. And, definitely do not give them your bank account information under any circumstance. If you want to automatically pay them, set it up through your bank account and make sure the payment is two weeks early.

Kevin Williamson Youngstown, OH

Issues with rejected payments, 3 payments from 3 different sources, 2 of which were linked to the website with bank routing and account numbers, one was chase Bank, the other was Huntington bank, and the 3rd payment that was rejected was a transfer check from my Huntington credit card account. All to pay for value city furniture. The credit card check was hand delivered to a value city employee in June of 2021, on Sept 21st, that payment was reversed, nobody knows what happened to the check, it was never returned. Late fees and interest was applied due to a glitch in synchronys system. They won't admit they screwed up, and they closed our value city account, both my wife and I have excellent credit. I will never again do business with synchrony bank, worst banking experience of my lifetime. Horrible horrible bank.

Danielle Dorris Chicago, IL

This is the absolute worst customer service that I have ever ever experienced. I am calling to pay off my CC balance and settle. Do you know I was transferred to 4 -7 departments to PAY MY BILL! Each transfer I had to provide: Full Name Social Address DOB 7 TIMES!!!! I was on the call for a total of 57 minutes. The calls kept getting dropped, the agent didn't understand the ask, all I wanted to do was pay by bill aka settle the freaking account. Why is the process so cumbersome. This is the worst, this will make someone NOT want to pay their bill. Every person stated YOU WERE SENT TO THE WRONG DEPARTMENT AND THEN I'M ON HOLD FOR 5 MINUTES, THE CALL DROPS I HAVE TO REPEAT THIS PROCESS OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I STILL DID NOT SETTLE BECAUSE I KEPT GETTING THE WRONG DEPARTMENT THIS IS NOT MY PROBLEM AND I AM REPORTING YOU ALL TO THE BBB.

Joseph Ohlweiler Collingswood, NJ

The absolute worst customer service. After each time I sent a payment request, the system was not responding to then find out it took my payment 3 times. I called and they told me if I removed the bank account it was pulling from that it would not go through, but it did. Then I called to get my overpayment back and they said they can only mail it and it will take 7-14 days. I asked if they could FedEx it, since they gave me bad information and they fought me to defend that they had no way to FedEx the check????? I gues FedEx does not pick up from their offices. This is a number of bad experiences with them. I just finished disconnected their cards from any auto pay and cut up the cards... They do not know what it means to take care of a customer

Shelly Steinmetz Princeton, NJ

I opened a Care Credit Card account through Synchrony Bank in 2021. I did this for Emergency Vet services for my animals should I have an issue. I did not need to use the card for 367 days and on the 367th day I found out my account was closed for inactivity. This is absolutely unacceptable and poor business practice. The point of a credit card is to be there for EMERGENCIES. I need to take my dog to the vet TODAY for an EMERGENCY and now I do not have my EMERGENCY credit card available to help pay for the visit. I am unfortunately not prequalified again. I demand that Synchrony reactivate my card immediately.

Jacey Hong Fairfax, VA

I bought a massage chair at a store that required us to pay for it monthly through Synchrony bank. The store told us that there would be no kind of interest rate or APR at all when I paid through this bank. Sure, I didn't have any APR listed on my statement until this month when it stated the APR rate of 30%, which is unusually too high. Also, it would base the APR on the full cost of the massage chair, instead of the remaining cost that I didn't pay yet. I called Synchrony bank's customer service right away and told them all about this and all they had to say was this is just the company's policy and this is how it is, and they were the first to hang up on their customer. Yes, they hung up on me when I was still complaining and talking. Seriously? Also, they refuse to resend you the new recent statement to your home when you ask for it. Normal companies usually agree with you and resend the statement to your house. I requested a new statement because they told me they would waive the interest fee if I pay the remaining cost by next month, so I wanted a statement that didn't include the interest fee so that I can pay the remaining fee by next month using that statement without the interest fee (I needed the statement to be sent to my house because I prefer to pay with paper check). But if they're refusing to resend it, then how can I make a payment? They tell you that they will only send you a new statement "after" I make a payment. But I need the statement to "correctly pay" my bill. What kind of customer service is this? The store and this bank happened to be both frauds. Please never ever use this trash bank, I warn you, you'll get your wallet ruined. Not worth a try.

Bridget Parker Knoxville, TN

Terrible customer service. They closed my account out while I still had a balance. I never missed a payment and had an issue with my draft payment one time that was not my fault and as soon as I learned about it I called and corrected the issue. Yet they still closed my account. I was in good standing and the closed my account and told me once it was closed they could not open it back for any reason. I was told I could request a new account if liked. When I called into the customer service department to see why my account was closed. I was told that synchrony bank reserved the right to close an account at any time. Now since they close my account I can not see my balance on the app. I have to call in to keep up with my balance. This no way to treat a customer that has kept their account in good standing. Do not trust this bank!!

Nicoleee Adams London, KY

Synchrony charged me 897 for a charge that I didn't even make. Assured me after they investigate it and seen it wasn't mine they would refund my money. I was in a spot due to a mortgage I was getting. It's been a year and I'm having to hire a lawyer to get my money back. Just don't do it. It's not worth the head ache

JL McDonough, GA

Run! Run! Run! Going to close my account and never look back! I had a $1200 debt with them which I always paid on time, then suddenly, out of the blue, I was charged $550 plus in interest for 1 month. For what I asked them??. I called, I emailed, I questioned and I inquired…and got nothing… not even the courtesy of a response! Please... do yourself a big favor and stay away with them! Go somewhere else. I'd give them a zero if I could. Pay them off and get yourself outta there quick before you get screwed over! .. Do not trust this bank!!!!

JOHN DEFABIO New York, NY

What a joke this bank is stay away ...They closed my accounts for no reason ... i paid every single time way before due date and pay extra and you close all my Synchrony accounts ??? Maybe your Policies towards GOOD payers!!!!! Need To Be FIXED ! NEVER MISSED ..NEVER LATE ..... ALWAYS PAID MORE THAN MINIMUM... THEY Decide in there Little Minds that i might not pay so they CLOSED ALL accounts.... Must be run by real .....

H Akron, IA

Closed my account without any notice. Have never missed a payment and had $2000 limit. This is the third time having them lower my credit on two other cards. Same type of excuse they use. Never have had any problems like this with any other cards that I have. Tired of dealing with company that obviously doesn't care or want customers. Poorest excuse for customer service every time I tried to contact them. Stay away form Synchrony.

Unhappy customer Canton, GA

I have 3 credit cards with Sychrony from three different retail establishments . I signed up for the Ashley furniture 60 mo no interest payment for a Labor day sale. When I went into my online account they had scheduled full payment for over $3000! I went in and arranged a much lesser payment for the due date about 2 weeks ago and checked my bank account tonight and there is a full payment of the $3000+ pending! I have alerted my bank and will be calling Synchrony in the morning to retract that full payment amount! This is horrid.

Antonietta Andreottola Parisi Lynnfield, MA

Awful Bank! They steal your money! I asked to make a partial withdrawl of my savings account on a Monday. They told me I have to do a wire. Now it is Tgursday and I hae not received my funds. I called today and told them to close my account and give me back all my funds. The "account manager" named Neshela D told me now I have to wait and doesn't know hen I will get my money. She is rude, arrogant and should not be in customer service. I told her I will contact the attorney general and file a complaint. She did not care at all. All other banks would have completed my wire on the spot. This bank takes your money and does not want to return it. Stay away and beware!

Jason Dixon Orem, UT

DO NOT GO WITH THESE GUYS AND DON'T TRUST THEM! These guy while do anything to get more money out of you. Majority of the time they don't even send you a statement saying your payment is due. No you get a month later saying you are late, along with phones calls everyday of the week even the weekends and it is a computer saying you have to call them. They when you set up a payment despite it is set up for later that week it will come out the next day no mater what. Oh and by the way the calls will come at any time, I have been woken up in the middle of the night. These guys are jerks and despite them calling you at anytime of the day. There have been times where I try to call and I try to get questions answer or try to get things fix they will hang up or say they will get back to you and never do.

Justin Paramaribo, PM

I reached out on the social media account (Facebook) to get information to pay off my loan. I am an active duty Soldier deployed overseas with only wifi. My family was in the hurricane Ian with their house destroyed. My account was going to be overdue in two days. When I inquired what I can do with the situation at no fault of mine. The only option I received was to inquire a late fee. It's sad to know that this company doesn't have other alternatives for service members serving overseas with the many technological options out there. Obviously, I'm in a bad place needing a loan, deployed away from my family, and a hurricane just hit my house. Now, my only option is to eat this late fee from this company. This will motivate me to pay this loan quicker to limit the amount of customer service I receive from this company.

DorothyG TX

Absolutely would NOT recommend. This credit was suggested to me when buying a new a/c for my home. I was happy that I was going to be able to pay off the cost over a year with no interest. As it turns out, I was able to pay the entire amount in 2 payments. However, to get those 2 payments to go through on their website was TORTURE. I was required to completely re-register my account any time I wanted to log in. The website consistently locked me out when I tried to get in. I wasn't able to schedule a payment a week out. I talked to countless Customer Service reps to get help with the website who were incredibly rude (do they not train their staff to not cuss at the customers?!). I am disgusted by this company and would absolutely not recommend it to anyone else. I've already contacted the company that suggested I use it to let them know they need to go with a different bank for financing options. Synchrony, you're horrible, and you need to shape up.

Aaron Schmitz Bossier City, LA

I had interest in starting an Amazon Credit Card, which is subsidized through Synchrony. The application process required me to call a 1-800 number. When making the call, I was forwarded 3 times. Each time asking for the same information. When finally starting the application process over the phone, they ask you to go to a website on your mobile phone to take a picture of yourself and a photo ID. For security reasons, I understand the need for this. However, they require you to use the website application to take the picture. The quality of of the application is horrible. It wants you take pictures in "natural" lighting. I made this call at night so the best lighting I had that didn't produce a glare on the card was in the kitchen. Apparently it wasn't good enough and wouldn't take. After a few attempts it locks you out and you have to wait 7 to 10 days for a letter in the mail. All because lighting wasn't good enough? And the gentlemen on the phone who was waiting the whole time (which was kind of awkward) was completely useless. Based on what I've read here, it looks like I dodged a bullet.

Jarod Barron

I really want to like this. But with all of the tremendous hoops that we have to jump through just to even make a payment is ridiculous, and that's an insult to the word ridiculous! Good luck spending less than 10 minutes. Trying to get a hold of a real person. And then just to have that person hang up on you! I have wasted almost an hour of my life, and it's a sad life too. So that's saying something by wasting an hour of a sad life. For such a "prestigious" bank, You would think their customer service would be a lot better.

Olga Starks Harleysville, PA

I do not like anything about this bank. Because when I had a fraudulent issues with one of the motel's owner, the bank didn't investigate it properly, even after I provided all the evidence that $150.49 was charged from my card after I have already paid for our stay in motel $66.54 in the place with the bank's card by myself. They didn't care that I was a loyal customer for years, who paid thousands $ with their card, always paid off statements on time, and had never had any issues with them before. Bank didn't care that a usual night in that motel is from $65 to 75 NOT $150. They accepted a fake docs from fraudulent and didn't even go through the receipts and explanation I'd provided. The customer service is located in India. And they don't help you at all. In my case the owner of motel was Indian family and the customer service are also all ONLY Indian people who even don't locate in America. I feel very discriminated and disappointed. I will never ever use this card anymore.

Victor Gill Milford, OH

This Bank has good rates most of the time. However this all negated by their inabilit to communicate with customers efficiently and accurately! They have secure email, BUT they will not address ANY request you make via this SECURE email. They are not a brick and mortar bank where I can go down and talk to rep and when I try and call them on 1-800 line as they want you to, I find that I have to wait minimum of 15 minutes or so to even get someone to talk to you!! I cannot be on the phone this long to make minor requests that SHOULD BE EASILY HANDLED via "Secure" email!! Tried them twice and this was the case in both instanced, even BEFORE the Pandemic!! Will not utilize their services again!

mike Gallatin, TN

I acquired business loans from Synchrony Bank. First, they are very high interest compared to lenders. Secondly, after you pay off a loan you will wait forever to receive your title. I paid off loans 2 months ago and I have called and called them and they still haven't sent my titles. Very poor customer service. Stay away from them!

Jim VT

Black ox unresponsive do not answer mesages or phone calls I AM LEAVING AFTER A PAINFUL YEAR OF TRYING TO COMMUNICATE NO AUDIT TRAIL ON REWARDS POINTS NO AUDIT TRAIL ON TRANSFER TO VERIZON WIRELESS--NO MESSAGING I HAVE WASTED HOURS. NOT WORTH IT.

F F (Fallie) Irvine, KY

Horrid bank to deal with. Had to use them with Amazon credit. There is always random unexplained charges, payments charging twice, and getting your account sent off to collections if you don't pay on the date they tell you to. Forget that you might have an actual life and need to wait til payday to pay them. Avoid them if you can. Not worth it.

Google User Seattle, WA

Terrible treatment of returned cd investors. Advice: don't be in a hurry to fund your cd accout and watch for strangely non-transparent interest rate changes. Also beware: once your account is funded, if you decide to close it immediately, there is no grace period to do it without a penalty. What an awful pracrtice.

Hunter Messer Amarillo, TX

Horrible, closed my account today and am never looking back! Please DO NOT bank with them. Very poor service, and the additional charges are ridiculous! I bought a $16 dollar item and within 2 months it turned into $66. So many better options out there. Please save you’re time and money. Go somewhere else..

Don New York, NY

They closed my JCPenny account without any prior notice. They claimed the credit bureaus had my balances on other credit cards as too high. Keep in mind, I only had a $100 credit line with JCP, and my account was in good standing as are my payment histories on those other accounts. Tried calling customer service to find out why and was told they sent a letter that never came. I have a 98% on-time payment history on my credit report. Synchrony Bank? FUHGEDDABOUTIT!

cathy girl Salt Lake City, UT

Customer service is trash. Had same issue since March 2022 and still dealt with it in September. Finally just closed my account but still wasn't even resolved. All the supervisors there have no idea what they are doing and when you ask to speak to their supervisor, they say there is no one above them. I know they aren't the bosses but try and act like it. Do not bank with them.

LLOYD SCHILLER Las Vegas, NV

Terrible. Called to change phone #.I'm 83 and can't take pictures very well and failed your on line verification. NOW THE REAL PROBLEM: Called the suggested number to get help. TRANSFERRED 4 TIMES TO FOREIGN PEOPLE TRYING TO SPEAK ENGLISH. COULD NOT UNDERSTAND ANY OF THEM AND THEY SAID SENDING ME A LETTER. I'VE BEEN A GOOD CareCredit account for years with a current score of 676. ALL THIS AGGERVATION TO CHANGE A PHONE NUMBER. MY TWO US BANKS AND ALL OTHER CREDIT CARDS THAT I HAVE DID NOT PUT ME THROUGH THIS F RATED SERVICE

William Martin Denver, CO

Synchrony financed my couch. I paid it in full, never missing a single payment. When the loan was completely paid off in the contract terms without a single missed payment or underpayment, I asked for the account to be closed. They refused and continued to access me a monthly "account fee" which I refused to pay. I asked MANY TIMES over TWO YEARS for the account to be closed. I paid my obligation IN FULL. They have completely ruined my perfect credit. I would NEVER consider financing with Synchrony ever again. They are a complete scam.

Ghada Barakat

Horrible bank that has the worst customer service. I am a paypal customer and didn't realize they deal with this bank for credit. If they can't help you, they disconnect you pass you to account manager who give you the wrong info to resolve an issue or assure you they will take care of it and never gets done. Spends hours and months trying to resolve a very simple refund transaction and experienced the most horrible and unprofessional customer service.

sherry baum Las Vegas, NV

This bank has been nothing but a nightmare. Twice I tried to pay with electronic transfer. I checked and they said I had a zero balance. Then I get a notice that I am late with my payment. I finally asked for my balance and sent them a check, I called them today for my balance and they said I owe another $30 for interest fees. Do not trust this bank! They use to be Allegro and Synchrony took over. I made June and July payment and I owe more now than when I started. Beware of this bank and read the reviews they have more complaints than good reviews.

Rz pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA

Worst bank in the world. I let them know last month I was moving and gave them my new address. First they froze my account because I was getting an ADT alarm system installed and just today they froze it AGAIN because I was getting a new riding mower. BOTH to the new address they have on file. NOW THE KICKER....... they make you go through a FIVE step process to unfreeze your account..... to include a 5 second video of your face, photos of the front and back of your drivers licenses and they finally send you a verification code.

David B Kissimmee, FL

My wife just got emails today of purchases at Lowe's In Glen Burnie, Maryland, we are in Florida. Logging in to our Lowe's Synchrony and the account had been changed to Spanish. This is the second Synchrony Account in 2 years to be hit with fraud. The other was via Pep Boys/Synchrony. Obviously they have little or no interest in protecting accounts.

Kim K Chicago, IL

WORST BANK EVER if you want to close an account of someone who died. I hope you never have to try to close an IRA CD account for an estate because I'm pretty sure this bank does everything it can to avoid helping you do what needs to be done. You submit all of the required paperwork, including a letter of instruction and then you are told that only TWO people are able to help you close the account. But you will NOT be able to reach these people. And when you call, the other nice representatives will offer to take your number and have one of the two IRA Estate agents call you back, but THEY WILL NOT CALL BACK. So you will try the next day. And the next. And you will leave your call back number every time, but you will never hear back. So you ask why they cannot process the account closure based on the letter of instruction you sent in (documents must be sent by regular mail or fax only) and you are told that you need to talk to one of the two IRA Estate reps to get that answer. So that you have a frame of reference --- I have been working on getting this account closed since June 28, 2022. It is now August 31, 2022. The bank has had all necessary documents since August 16 and I have called daily (Monday - Friday only because that is when the IRA Estate reps work) and left 6 messages on 6 different days with call back numbers. I have not received a single call back.

MJ Salt Lake City, UT

I rated this bank 5 stars in the past but would give it 0 stars now if I could. The bank is way understaffed and incompetent staff. I would not do business with this bank until they get staffed up and adequately train their staff! Below is evidence of inadequate and incompetent staff: Wait times to talk to someone who can actually answer your question or process a wire is over an hour It takes 2-5 DAYS to process a wire, yes, days not hours Staff cannot answer basic questions such as did the wire go through Staff told me one wire was processed but the other one was rejected, they told me the wrong one (even though I could see it on online banking) and could not tell me why the other one was rejected The message encourages you to stay on the line to take a survey after the call ends but in the 20+ calls I have made I have never had the opportunity to leave a survey (I waited on the line until it is disconnected) You are not allowed to talk with a supervisor Often get disconnected after waiting 30 + minutes to get transferred to a manager I have called 10 times to send/confirm a specific wire, 5 hours on the phone with synchrony and still no wire 5 days later. Hopefully Synchrony can return to what they once were, but beware until then.

M Bailey Murfreesboro, TN

Synchrony backs Care Credit, which is used to finance large medical bills. To my horror, they have taken it upon themselves to post my medical bill in a group with my Lowes, my QVC, and HSN accounts. They claim they can do nothing about this because I accepted it When I go online to pay QVC, there is a large square blocking any view of my account or my ability to pay online until I click on that square -- walla, I have been tricked into giving them permission to put any card backed by Synchrony all together "for my convenience." I filed a complaint with the BBB, and Synchrony replied that they could not undo the accounts being posted and they only showed the last four numbers of each account. It also shows that I have these accounts and the balance of my medical bill! I keep all of my cards at low levels, but the medical bill is more than I can pay to get rid of it right now. I am just furious that my private medical billing is exposed and sitting on Home Shopping Network, QVC, and Lowes websites. I moved all balances to other credit cards, but could not move my doctor's bill because it is a few thousand dollars. BBB closed the complaint because Synchrony made a "good faith effort" to resolve the problem. They made no effort at all -- just replied they could not undo the dashboard showing my accounts once I agreed to it. This not only sets me up for identity theft but it is a violation of HEPA laws for my medical bill balance to be on display on multiple websites like this! Even if I never user my lowes card again, my medical bill balance will be displayed on the Lowe's bill pay website. This is a big consumer issue.