Best Company Guarantee Comcast Xfinity Internet Logo

Comcast Xfinity Internet

7.1

LAST UPDATED: September 24th, 2022

Comcast is a major force in the telecommunications industry because of its large service area and the sheer number of customers it has served. If you've ever researched internet packages, Comcast has likely come up.

The company's regular rates start at $49.95 per month. You can bundle TV, phone, and home security services with its internet.

View Xfinity Reviews

The Comcast Company has two major parts: Comcast Cable and NBC Universal. These two parts work together to bring all of the various types of media to homes across the United States.

Xfinity is a part of Comcast Cable and brings phone, TV service, home automation, and high-speed internet to customers. A variety of package options are available depending on the speeds and features accessible in your area.

Xfinity has a commitment to great service that is backed by a money-back guarantee.

The Good

• High Speeds
  • High Availability
  • Security
  • Xfinity Bundle Advantages
  • Contract-Free Option

High Speeds

Xfinity Internet offers some of the highest speeds in the industry. Its internet plans are organized by speed.

• 25 Mbps (~$40 per month)
  • 100 Mbps (~$45 per month)
  • 200 Mbps (~$60 per month)
  • 300 Mbps (~$70 per month)
  • 600 Mbps (~$80 per month)
  • 1,000 Mbps (~$84.99– $90 per month)
  • 2,000 Mbps (~$299.95 per month)

Keep in mind that this pricing information is only for the first 12 months and the pricing will depend on your location and contract length. Some plans may not be available in some areas. These prices can change depending on your timing.

Equipment, installation, and activation fees also apply in some cases—more on that below.

High Availability

Since Xfinity is a large entity in the ISP industry, it covers a huge area across the United States: it's available in 39 states. With that large area coverage comes a lot of variation in upload speeds and download speeds available to you.

Xfinity doesn't have solid available speeds until it conducts a speed test for a specific address. This can be an obstacle if you're looking at internet options but aren't certain about your future zip code.

But, it's also a benefit because customers don't have to pay a fee for a certain speed package unavailable in their area. The price for an internet plan depends on the internet speed that's available; you won't overpay for Mbps that you're not receiving in your location.

When choosing a speed, you should consider whether multiple devices will access the internet. Xfinity provides general package information to give you an idea of what you might pay for certain areas.

Security

Along with quick internet speeds for reasonable prices, Xfinity also promises internet security.

Xfinity has partnered with Norton Antivirus to bring their customers online protection. These security measures are easily downloaded onto any computer or device once you've chosen your package.

The cost of this software is included in the monthly Xfinity bill. There is no additional charge for this security service.

Free security is a big bonus that could keep you safe from theft and viruses.

Bundling Advantages

Like many other internet service providers, Xfinity offers additional services, like cable, in addition to its high-speed internet.

But if you think cable is antiquated, that's not your only bundling option with Xfinity. Xfinity has the option for customers to stream hundreds of channels and videos to view in their own homes through Xfinity TV service, the Xfinity Stream app, Xfinity Instant TV, or Xfinity Cable TV.

Xfinity packages offer the customer more than one of these services. If you choose to add on more services through Xfinity, they're typically bundled at a lower price. This is a huge benefit if you're hunting for several new services, but it's a downside if you're not.

If you strictly want internet service, you might be missing out on some promotions and better deals.

Contract-Free Option

If you don't plan on staying with Xfinity, or if you plan on moving shortly, you can choose an Xfinity plan with no contract. Customers who choose this option will pay a higher monthly rate, but this is a convenient choice for those who dislike being locked into a contract that may raise rates.

The Bad

• Data Limits
  • Fees
  • State Coverage

Data Limits

Xfinity does not offer unlimited data. It has implemented data limits. Some of these data caps are as high as 1 TB.

Xfinity also requires a one- to two-year contract on many of its packages. Some other internet service providers do not have data limits or require contracts, so if you're wary of committing to an ISP long-term, so this may offputting.

Fees

Xfinity's service has a few costs that customers consider hidden fees. While these aren't technically "hidden fees" because they are mentioned in Xfinity's contracts, users sometimes see them as abrupt and unfair:

• Installation fee. This can be negotiable, but technicians typically charge a $60.00 fee to install Xfinity. Customers can opt for a do-it-yourself kit for a cheaper cost.
  • Reactivation fee. If a customer temporarily turns off their service, Xfinity charges a small reactivation fee.
  • Equipment fee. If you choose to rent Xfinity gateway, the provider's 2-in-1 modem/router, you'll pay a monthly rental price. Customers looking to lower their bill should purchase their own compatible equipment upfront.
  • Xfinity TV fees. Xfinity charges several fees for add-on TV service, including premium channels and DVR.
  • Late payment fee. Xfinity will charge an add-on of $10.00 if a customer pays their bill late.
  • Early termination fee. Xfinity Internet offers customers a 1-year contract where their price is locked in for that year. However, if the customer needs to end the contract early, they are subject to an early termination fee.

You might also see fees such as a Broadcast TV fee, Federal Universal Service Fund (FUSF) fee, Regional Sports Network fee, Rental fee, and more. Check your specific Xfinity package, and be aware that many rates are negotiable.

State Coverage

While Xfinity is available in 39 states, some of its competitors are available in all 50. These variables can be a disadvantage and a reason that customers search for other internet service providers for their needs.

The Bottom Line

If you're looking at a few different internet service providers, it can be frustrating to figure out what type of package you can get in your area and how much you'll have to pay. Xfinity requires a contract, has data limits, and isn't available in all 50 states.

However, customers who choose Xfinity Internet will enjoy a host of benefits and features like Norton Antivirus software, access to hotspots across the country, and a money-back guarantee. We recommend checking out Xfinity's services to see if they are a good fit for you.

Be sure you understand the terms of your internet service agreement and whether there are additional fees, like an installation fee or surcharges for a modem and router.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

3.3

Rita Hopkins Austin, TX

I enjoyed Comcast Xfinity while in the state of MS. It provided great service considering I was in a remote area. It only went out a couple of times which is great for the area and weather there. My cable service was clear, and internet was speedy.

David Swenson Littleton, CO

I researched internet options with Comcast as I was looking to sign a contract. Overall they seem to give a quality product with good service, but I was not impressed by their pricing and contract options. I was able to get an equal quality and speed of internet for 30% less at a locked in rate. My potential contract with comcast would have also likely increased in price annually. So I think you will get a quality product and service, but you will pay top dollar for it!

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

Comcast Xfinity has always had great internet speed and customer service, but the price of their service increased when I moved so I switched to a provider that was a better value. I would still recommend them though if it is a good price where you live!

Debbie Schultz Murfreesboro, TN

Very reliable, great customer service. The few issues I have had have been dealt with promptly and fairly. Only problem is the increasing price, and that long term customers have to constantly call to negotiate better rates when rates go up. Seems new customers get the best rates and if a long term customer wants a break you have to deal with it every time contract is up.

Gary Sorrento, FL

We've been using Comcast Xfinity internet service for 4+ years. and we are pleased with their service, especially their customer service whenever the internet service goes down. When it does go down, usually for short interruptions, Xfinity will always contact us via email to give notice to the issue and when to expect return of service. We have a high internet speed, 900 which is very consistent in speed. In general, Xfinity serves us well.

Hemant Ramachandran Saratoga, CA

When I got access to Xfinity Internet at my parents' house, it was very fast. Internet came at a good speed, and if there were network problems, they would usually be resolved immediately. However, the only annoyance is that network problems could sometimes come a little bit too frequently. It is a very minor issue though, since overall Internet has proven to be very good.

Erin Capitena Denver, CO

Really appreciate the flat rate for internet service. They provide additional streaming services (Peacock subscription and option to use a streaming device connected to your tv).

shamont mallory

Comcast is one of the fastest and reliable internet services that I ever had. The upload speed are extremely fast and, I can use up to 16 devices for streaming at once. I highly recommend switching to xfinity internet!

DealStar South Jordan, UT

I am actually a big fan of Comcast Xfinity, with the exception of the cost. There was very little down time, the Internet speed is great, we ran several devices simultaneously and never had a problem. I only left this provider because I moved to a new condo that does not support this provider.

Amrit Nandrey Franklin, TN

I used Comcast for 9 years. They are a good starter internet package with very low prices to get started. It is very reliable too (unless there is a physical damage to the cable). They bundled internet service with basic TV service.

Christina Sutu-Wallar Pittsburg, CA

I have used Comcast since 2018. They have reliable service, they text me whenever there is an outage including when they plan to resolve it, they always have great deals going on too. My only complaint is their customer service - they don’t seem to value their clients.

Jnt_421 Bethel Park, PA

I would have given 5 stars based on the customer service I received in store for a router issue, but we experience outages more than one would expect. It's not a major inconvenience because many times it has happens while we are at work or other non-inconvenient times, and they do send out messages to inform customers if there are known issues or outages we should be aware of. Overall, Xfinity is not bad and they have a lot of offers for current and new customers.

Jepheth White Fairfield, CA

I like the fast internet. It can be a little expensive but there are ways to get it decreased. I like being able to go to a brick and mortor store to do business

HO1 Charles Town, WV

Xfinity internet has worked pretty well over the years that I have subscribed. I switched to Xfinity cable internet after having used the phone company's dsl. Xfinity was a great improvement. I was a bit skeptical about renting equipment from them decided to go that route instead of buying my own modem/gateway. They have been great about troubleshooting when problems arose, and have always upgraded my equipment to the latest. My one complaint would be that they don't offer the same things for existing companies that they do for new customers. My son who lives nearby recently got internet service without phone or cable tv for a great price. Since I don't use our landline anymore, I thought I'll call and downgrade to internet only, but was surprised to find they don't have that offer for me. The only options I have for change are upgrading to higher more costly services, not downgrading to lower less costly service.

Dwayne Holland Toney, AL

I had real good service with Comcast. I liked the quality and variety of package deals. I'll definitely recommend them to you

Gaju Shrestha Herriman, UT

I have comcast for more than one year. So far I am satisfied with their service. The internet speed is good and bundling with tv and phone has saved money.

Daniel Smith New York, NY

Great quality of service and speed. Also very good at notification during loss of service in area and providing scope/time to recover. Worth the cost of service.

George Thomas San Ramon, CA

The service has seen us through the Pandemic. With remote working, the internet connectivity was critical and Comcast lived up to the expectation for a large part.

Joel Lopez San Francisco, CA

Super fast internet, with good customer service. On the expensive side but it is my only option . Had to buy my own internet extenders, Thiers didn't cover the whole house.

Michael Bacon Vancouver, WA

Great service, but pretty expensive (granted, it is for Cable, phone, and Internet, but we pay $268 per month and they are saying our bill with likely go up another 15% in the coming month.

Sheila Transue Seattle, WA

Good service and coverage seemed to be about everywhere I went even free in the city great customer service once I got through but hard to understand the person most of the time due to acsent

Kayla Heddleson Pittsburgh, PA

Is about the only fast hi speed internet service around the ohio valley that doesn't only go by how many mbs of data u can go through a month but is the most expensive service around also if they serviced where I reside at I would still have service with them but they don't!

Debbie Zerner Ocean View, DE

We used Comcast when we lived in MD. Unfortunately they are no longer in our area. We had a few problems periodically with losing connection usually quickly remedied. Sometimes it was frustrating and once in a while it took some time but now I have Mediacom and oh how I wish I had Comcast again!!!

Lakysha Reid Ellenwood, GA

I do appreciate the quick response when I have an issue or questions about anything related to Comcast. They offer detailed advice & the customer service agents are always pleasant & ask directly if all questions have been answered. My only concern is the inconsistency with the service of my Router, I did directly ask questions about my Router capabilities & was suggested to use an Extender to help relay the service better, however, the service is still inconsistent with the use of the Extender.

AnRe Toms River, NJ

I have been pretty lucky that I don’t really have much to complain about with Comcast. Whenever I call with a problem they are more than willing to help. I must say it does take a while to get a hold of someone on the phone. But other than that I am satisfied with their service. Of course I should be considering the outrageous amount of money I spend on it!

E Jester Baltimore, MD

I like the quality of the Internet that I have is up 99% of the time when I attempt to access it. One of my biggest pet peeves is price gouging, specifically, the fluctuation of the bill based on the package promotions ceases. I hate this business. I also wish they had a deal if a customer only wants one or two services not have to be forced to employ a "triple play" to get a decent rate. If Comcast is going to raise your rate when the promotion end nears should contact the customer to eliminate undue hardship and surprises. This has been my complaint for a while but I have 4 services with Comcast. I should reap more discounts instead of a rise in price when the promotion runs out. Yes, I am researching other companies where I can get a better Internet, home security, phone service, and cable selection at a cheaper rate.

JimS. Cathedral City, CA

I used to have service with Comcast Xfinity when I lived in Seattle. I would rate them as pretty good. Although the service did go down occasionally, it wasn’t often, and it was weather related. The quality of service was good. My only complaint about them would be the cost. Internet service providers are allowed to compete with each other in the same neighborhoods in Seattle, and Comcast did not seem too interested in retaining existing customers. When I threatened to move to CenturyLink, they didn’t care. I gave them multiple opportunities to keep me as a customer by negotiating for the monthly service rate, but they couldn’t be bothered. They only got serious when I hung up and threatened to leave. And even then they blew it. Their service is pretty decent, but the customer retention methods are totally clueless.

margaret dickens Albuquerque, NM

The internet and cable service have been very reliable. We had 2 outages for a couple of hours in the past year which I feel is not bad.

Richard Pollock Chicago, IL

Speed is good and service is reliable. The only issue is with pricing which changes yearly, requiring negotiation to keep it reasonable.

Excellent Plumber Service Rex, GA

I love the fact that Comcast is an extremely reliable service with great customer service. On the downside, Rates are too high.

Tamie Johnson Markham, IL

The installer was very knowledgeable and patient he troubleshot my issue and followed up everyday until my speed issue was fixed. My only issue is the price but I guess you pay for what you get and I got a good deal.

scotty Saint Paul, MN

I've been with Comcast Xfinity over 10 years. They have great products, Great speed on internet. It barely crashes, but They do sneak in a couple fees here and there and Unless you're really paying attention to your bill every month you dont notice till youre paying $15 higher than you used to. Over all its quality internet

Craig Welter Grayslake, IL

Their internet service is very rarely down. In the rare cases when it does go down, it is usually fixed very quickly, and they send a message giving you an estimated time when it will be back up. They also have an outage map you can check to verify an outage is on their end. The customer service has also always been helpful and courteous.

Jennifer Orlando, FL

I recently moved and started using Xfinity. The initial set up process was extremely easy and took only minutes. I liked that I could do it myself. The only reason I didn’t give 5 stars is because it goes out weekly. My old company never went out in the 6 years I was with them.

Valerie Reed Clementon, NJ

Comcast/Xfinity's products and customer service are great. However, customers are billed and must pay for service one month in advance. And if not paid, they will disconnect service for a bill that's technically not even due yet. This should be illegal.

Austin Tempe, AZ

I was not the person paying this bill in a rental I lived in CO. However, I will say that I never ran into any connection issues while using this service. Maybe it was the area, maybe the owner reset the router without me knowing, but great internet service.

Frank Herbert Portland, OR

I've been with Xfinity for three years since moving to Oregon. Their technical quality is high and their repair service on outages is quick. They are expensive but necessary. I also dealt with them 20 years ago in Chicago when they were simply Comcast. Their reputation for customer service was terrible but I always found their service personnel efficient, friendly and professional. I use them for hours of entertainmet each day but still begrudge the cost, unfortunately their are no viable alternatives.

carole abel Palm Coast, FL

We had comcast/xfinity for years when we lived in MD. It was great, the internet and cable were reliable and loved their voice remote, which my current company does not have this feature, which is great for saving time. Xfinity also has a lot of contracts with streaming services that my current provider does not have yet, just Netflix. While i am happy with my current provider, it is clear that xfinity is a superior product and we hope that our current provider can catch up to them.

Mark

Product is tops, service is terrible. Very pricey product but is the best available in my area, but hope you never have to talk with them. It is always over an hour on the phone, they don't have a clue what's going on in the field. The guys that show up at your house are very knowledgeable, but the office is horrible. Understand that the speed that they sell you will be at least twice whaty you will recieve at your computer, but it is still much better than competitors.

John Sutherland

I've used several Internet companies through the years and found Comcast among the best. However, Comcast and the others appear to share some common disadvantages, the largets of which is that, in this age of high speed Internet, they seem to charge more than is reasonable unless competition is used as athreat to their business, and then their costs get better.

Nancy Haddock Saint Augustine, FL

My experience has been that the service is great - that's in speaking with agents, Techies for troubleshooting, and with repair specialists. All cable/ Internet/ phone companies are pricey, and the way channels are packaged can annoy me (which is not always the fault of the company). but overall I'm very happy with Comcast. I had them, left them, and when my carrier couldn't fix a recurring issue, I went back to Comcast. They DID fix the issue and had to persist in order to do so. Today I talked with Tense, and she answered the pressing question I had.

Tiffany Phoenix, AZ

Overall our experience with Comcast was positive. I worked from home and needed to have an internet provider with fast speeds, that was dependable. There were only a handful of times that our internet was down. The only negative experience I had with Comcast was with their customer service department. I kept getting transferred to other departments and it to longer to get my issue resolved. Thankfully I didn't have to call very often.

Susan Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

I thought Comcast was pretty great, the internet seemed fast. We only needed our daughter a couple of times to fix the internet, so that was nice. I think the best an internet provider can do is make you forget that there is internet. When the speed is so fast, and you never have down time- you almost forget that internet is even involved at all. That's when you know you have good service, the kind that doesn't make you scream and tear your hair out.

Sandra Little Eugene, OR

Overall, I been pleased with the friendliness of customer service. In store the customer service representatives have been professional and knowledgeable. The online service has some glitches in that it takes far too long to get through the automated system to finally talk to a person. When I was able to get through, the problem was solved. I have found the internet to be reliable.

Barbara Luke Chicago, IL

Overall Xfinity has provided what we pay for: fast internet with very few outages. There was difficulty a few months ago when our service was interrupted either for short spurts or several hours. The reason was not given proactively, however, when I saw a service tech outside of our house one day, I asked and was told, as I suspected, due to the large number of new homes being built across the street, it was due to laying new infrastructure.

Robert Rootes Bestselling Author Fredericksburg, VA

They are one of 2 companies that cover this area. They are better of the two companies. When we first moved into this house, the Xfinity crew had mounting troubles installing the services. After 3 fails, the 4th had a top supervisor out here accessing the issue. He assured us that they'd work tirelessly to make sure we had services working properly. The only dissatisfying thing about Xfinity is their continued use of AIs trying to handle customer service calls. I miss talking to real people.

Steven Whites Salt Lake City, UT

Comcast has super fast internet, but if more customers on your block decide to sign up with them, then your internet speed goes down a little bit. Its like 1 big hub for the block that is split up between all the customers. Which it worked out really well for my family for a few years, but they just keep increasing the pricing every year which finally pushes you out of wanting to pay for their high speed internet. I did like how fast they were and how they gave discounts on bundles, etc.

Elder Terdkin Green Cove Springs, FL

They might have had a bad rep in the past, even with me but they are way faster and far more stable then my older internet provider and they have made it easy to get setup with faster speeds as needed, rent movies and add 3rd party services like Disney+ and even when internet is down due to repairs, they seem alot easier to get ahold of and figure this information out then they were just 5 years ago.

Jamaal Taylor Ypsilanti, MI

Great service but I love you all to see about getting a better costumer service representative

Lorna Johnston West Valley City, UT

We have had fairly positive experience with Xfinity internet. A couple of years ago our internet service became extremely erratic. I went to the xfinity store and they made a few adjustments over a couple of weeks, but as soon as it appeared to be working, it would go off. Eventually they put someone on the task who was very knowledgeable. He told us that he would investigate until it was fixed which he did. It turned out to be a very unusual problem of water getting into a crack on the box on our neighbor’s property and shorting out the wiring whenever they watered their lawn. He had it fixed which required digging trenches, etc. but we were very happy that he solved the problem. I just wish they had addressed it a little sooner.