What started as a small family business in the 1930s has eventually become a household name in the internet service provider industry.

CenturyLink offers Price for Life plans that do not have a contract and download speeds as high as 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps). Customers can choose plans that have a data cap of 300 GB or plans with unlimited data.

Throughout its history, CenturyLink has continually acquired other companies and businesses in order to better serve its current and future customers.

These expansion efforts have lead CenturyLink to become the third largest telecommunications company in the United States. It serves 50 states with its extensive fiber-optic internet networks and DSL service.

Recently, CenturyLink has expanded even further to offer entertainment services like Century Prism and Direct TV service. Customers interested in purchasing phone or TV service in addition to internet can bundle services to save money.

CenturyLink's great customer service helps each of its customers have a unique, positive experience.

View CenturyLink Reviews

The Good

• Fast Speeds
  • Contract-Free Price for Life Plan Options
  • No Overage Charges
  • 24/7 Technical Support

Fast Service Speed

CenturyLink offers a wide range of internet speeds for their customers. These speeds are very specific to an exact location and vary depending on the area. These speeds are among the higher speeds in the industry. In some areas, customers can have a download speed of up to 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps) in some major cities with fiber optic availability. This top possible speed is one of the fastest internet speeds available on the market, especially compared to the available speeds from other broadband providers.

Upload speeds (upstream) range between 256 kbps and 5 Mbps. Customers who need a high-speed internet connection would benefit greatly from checking with a CenturyLink customer service agent to see what is available in their zip code.

Contract-Free Price for Life Plan Options

CenturyLink offers their services to customers in internet plans that vary by broadband speed.

Customers pay for their plans based on their choice of internet speed. They can assess their internet needs based on the number of internet users and types of device that will be connecting to the internet.

For customers signing up for internet service online, CenturyLink offers four plans that do not require a contract in most states. The rates for these plans also do not change as long as you keep the plan without any changes (like an address change).

• 20 Mbps - $45/month
  • 40-80 Mbps - $55/month
  • 100-140 Mbps - $65/month
  • Fiber Internet 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps) - $65/month

With these plans, customers can also keep their initial monthly internet price without needing a contract. They do not need to worry about pricing increases, an early termination fee, or rate changes.

CenturyLink provides reliable internet for a home wi-fi network. They also offer good internet security and backup services with its internet packages through Norton by Symantec.

Making payments each month for internet is easy to do through an online CenturyLink user account.

No Overage Charges

Unfortunately for CenturyLink customers, they also may have to watch out for data caps set up by the company. This means that CenturyLink has set limits for how much of the internet their customers can use in any given month, which is 1 TB. This is a generous about of data, so most customers will not surpass it. Internet service providers do this to try to control the available speeds for all of their customers and make sure the system functions properly, but it can be a drawback for customers.

CenturyLink customers who exceed their data limits will not be required to pay an overage charge. When a customer goes over their limit, they will receive a notice and then depending on the health of the overall network different actions will be taken.

24/7 Technical Support

Some other beneficial features of CenturyLink's business procedures make them a good choice for internet service. They offer 24/7 technical support to all of their customers which is very convenient. Their technicians are helpful people who will answer any questions related to internet technology that a customer has. If a customer is not satisfied with the services they receive from CenturyLink they are protected with a 30-day money back guarantee.

Be aware that some customers complain of poor customer support. Reviewers note that phone communication with CenturyLink takes a long time, and technician visits are sometimes missed and rescheduled. This is a frequent complaint of the ISP industry. Test out your commununication with a customer service rep through your preferred method of contact to get an idea of the average wait time and quality of response.

The Bad

• Variable Speed Availability
  • Variable Price for Life Availability
  • Additional Fees
  • Customer Complaints

Variable Speed Availability

All of CenturyLink’s plan options and speeds may not be available in your area. Fiber is typically available in select urban locations.

It is easy to view plans that are available in your area on CenturyLink’s website. Rural areas are more likely to have access to DSL service and slower speeds.

Variable Price for Life Availability

The CenturyLink Price for Life guarantee isn't available in all 50 states CenturyLink serves. Check to see if CenturyLink allows a package with a Price for Life guarantee in your area.

Additional Fees

CenturyLink charges additional fees for the following:

• Modem rental fee — $10/month or ~$150 one-time purchase
  • Installation — $125

The modem one-time purchase cost varies but is no higher than $150. Be sure to ask what the cost would be to you if you purchased it one-time versus paying an extra $10 monthly rental fee.

Some areas may have an option for self-installation, which is free.

If your plan with CenturyLink is based on a contract agreement, then you may be subject to an early termination fee if you end the contract early.

Customer Complaints

Customers complain about a variety of issues with CenturyLink, including poor customer service, connection issues, and connection speeds lower than their advertised plans. Be aware that most internet providers have similar complaints.

The Bottom Line

In recent years, CenturyLink has become one of the biggest broadband internet service providers in the country. Its broadband internet service is available in all 50 states. Each specific address has different high speed availability.

One perk of CenturyLink is that the service is month-to-month without a contract. This gives customers more flexibility. Before signing up for CenturyLink, be sure to pay attention to additional fees--setup and equipment--and the offerings available in your area. As with any internet service provider, read the terms and conditions before signing up for service. Overall, CenturyLink provides quality service with affordable prices. Potential customers should consider CenturyLink when choosing an internet provider.

Call our recommended rep over at CenturyLink below.

2.5

Jessamy Newton
October 15th, 2019 Bountiful, UT DETAILS

They have worked with my concerns year after year and tried to help me have a product that is suited to me at a price that is reasonable.

Linda Clark
October 14th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I had century link for several years and service was always irregular. Sometimes it worked great, other times it was slow and there were times it wouldn’t work at all.

Tony Gibson
October 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We didn't care for CenturyLink in our area for internet service. It was slow without options to be faster and went down too much for us. I had to switch away. I am sure they are better in some areas than others, but it didn't work very well for us.

Rob Lundquist
October 11th, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS

I have been a century link customer for many years and have always had very good service.

Lesa Stewart
October 10th, 2019 Saint George, UT DETAILS

Well this company has not provide reliable service for our area. We don’t have great options so we feel stuck. It has been too long. There customer service is terrible.

Jeff Stewart
October 9th, 2019 Saint George, UT DETAILS

Unfortunately the speed and service are lacking. Always frustrating to try and resolve any issues that we have had with them.

bailey jo
October 9th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Terrible customer service. Had them for years and they would never replace anything that was broken or not working correctly.

james Silva
October 8th, 2019 Elmira, OR DETAILS

The most incompetent people I've ever worked with. Nearly every month something get screwed up, its as though they purposely pretend to screw up just in an attempt to sneak stuff past us so they can charge more money. Seriously, I do not understand how they can make so many mistakes, Time for a new provider.

Zac Marx
October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS

Century Link has been a great provider for our family. We never have issues connecting and have constant access.

April
October 8th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We have used CenturyLink in the past, and it has done its job. Not exceptionally so, and there are definitely times when our internet is much slower than preferred, but most of the time it is handy and reliable

Amy Boren
October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

When we built or home we started with this company but quickly switched to a company that we could bundle more things together and get a better price.

Jon Scoresby
October 7th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

Internet was always slow. It didn't take me long to switch to s different provider. I don't know why it was that bad.

Jami Howell
October 7th, 2019 Farmington, UT DETAILS

They charged us the wrong amount for at least 5 years and weren't able to get it back. They charged us monthly for a modem that we already owned and all they offered was a gift card.

Don Boren
October 3rd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

The connection in my house was spotty. I had to have signal boosters to get coverage in all the bedrooms.

Dustin Marx
October 3rd, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS

We had CenturyLink's 40 Mbps internet service for years, but found that this was not enough to support the multiple devices our family uses for streaming, playing games, browsing the internet, etc. We upgraded to CenturyLink's 100 Mbps service early this year and have been able to run all of our devices, consoles, and laptops at the same time. We are also able to stream three movies at once. We especially like the 5 GHz support. We rarely have disruptions to our internet service and have never had a disruption for longer than an hour or two.

Ted Johnson
October 1st, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Century Link is a good, reliable, internet service. Their speeds are fast and I used them when I lived in Las Vegas and I loved it. It isn't as available now where I live, but I wish I could have it again and will keep checking to see when it is available in my area.

Tara Marx
October 1st, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS

We have had Centurylink for years for our internet provider and we find it very reliable.

Miles Strother
September 30th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We use a CenturyLink router, which was cheap, simple to set up, and doesn't cause many problems. In over 4 years, we've only had a couple of outages, and only once or twice was the router to blame, and the outages were easy to fix and short

Michael Schapiro
September 27th, 2019 Endicott, NY DETAILS

CenturyLink is a scam! Our business signed a contract with CenturyLink in October of 2018. CenturyLink never installed the equipment(it is sitting outside our server room). CenturyLink quoted 1 month to set up. It is almost 1 year later and they still have not started the service. They did start billing us and continue to. I have asked them to credit it off since the beginning but just getting the run around. Here are some of the quotes from a Senior Manager at CenturyLink to us: October 9, 2018 - "Good News the instal may take a few months" January 2, 2019 - "Alton, Was our tech ever onsite for the install? January 4, 2019 - If we do not hear from him(Alton) I am getting my boss involved. January 15, 2019 - " I have not heard anything . January 22, 2019 - " My boss is trying to get you a response" January 22, 2019 - "It's really frustrating" January 312, 2019 - "They were suppose to send you an update. Not happy that they didn't. February 21, 2019 - "Hey Alton, Michael is looking for some help here." March 7, 2019 - "Alton, is there something we can do?" April 16, 2019 - " I sent for an update last week. I will try again. " April 16, 2019 - "I am sorry this process is so long and it seems it will never end" May 8, 2019 -" I actually am helping Aaron because he reached out in frustration because of your current project manager. I was able to get your account number from him. I think I have everything I need aside from possibly having you resign the LOA forms for porting the numbers over again because the previous ones are expired." May 14, 2019 - "I have been emailing the project manager but she has not gotten back to me yet. There isn’t anything that we have left to do so there really shouldn’t be an issue. I will email her again and forward this chain." May 14, 2019 " I'm growing more frustrated day by day, and I hope we can resolve soon. We’ll talk about credits when it’s over. Thank you Hope, she’s helping us out a lot." May 29, 2019 - " have completed everything requested including the TN portability. I’ve also attached the VQT. Is this moving forward. " Many more email of the same over the summer of 2019 August 6, 2019 " I’m at the point where I’m not sure what to do. I know this account was moved a few weeks back. Maybe the new account team can get something done. I think we can modify the current circuit for internet only, but not sure about adjusting the contract, it’s started billing. I don’t understand the billing, and they’re not willing to work with us. But I see what you see, they’re billing the same toll free on both invoices. I’m trying to get Hope to help me again. Its tough, and I’m so frustrated. I can’t seem to get any help. I’m trying to reach hope to see if there is anyone on her end that can get someone to check on the toll free. It is now September 25, 2019 nothing has been done to move this forward. CenturyLink is still invoicing us for a service that was never installed. Warning **** Scam!

Andrew boyer
September 26th, 2019 Grantsboro, NC DETAILS

They are not what you want they only care about money... They will not work with you on moving around pay dates unless on fixed income.. They are all so rude, they are just an overall crapy service...

Joy Hill
September 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Service is great - they do everything they can to keep you from cancelling. I do wish they had higher speeds where I live.

DOUG
September 10th, 2019 South Boston, VA DETAILS

Cannot get to my email account for the second time in the last week or so. called this morning and was told it would take up to 48 hours to fix. The last time it took a few minutes with the tech on the phone with me. It was because I had had an earlier problem they would not fix right away. Very poor service!!!!

Ron Durfey
September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I had CenturyLink but had to leave them because of poor service. I was constantly having to reboot my modem and was constantly having to work at a local restaurant/coffee house to get internet service for my work. I will not use CenturyLink again!

Ad
September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I do not like Century Link. I use the internet a lot in the evenings and on weekends and I feel like the internet service is so poor during those times. Their customer service department is saying that their service is the best, but it is not so.

Randy Scoville
September 6th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have Century Link as our current provider. We are at the end of a road, so the internet speed is very slow and unreliable. the upload and download speed is so much slower than what we pay for. However, there isn't much that can be done, so we just deal with it. I wish they would offer us better service.

Dave Ros
September 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Horrible internet service. Overpriced with slow speeds. It’s hard to work from home with such slow speeds

Virginia Rosenthal
September 3rd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

The internet speed is so slow. I am not impressed by their customer service who don’t seem concerned when there was interruptions in service.

Campbell Blair
September 3rd, 2019 Phoenix, AZ

CenturyLink has always been a little too spotty for me, every time I have used it, it hasn't gotten any better.

Sara
August 26th, 2019 Midvale, UT DETAILS

I have only had centuryLink for a few days now and every morning since being installed that have turned off my internet and I have had to call and speak to about 5-6 different people then wait hours for them to work on the account assuring me the problem will be resolved. Then the next morning the same thing happens. The most recent time was this morning and its saturday they tried to say that noting could be done till monday and i wouldn’t have internet tell then, when i started say i wanted my money back she said she was going to speak to some advanced tech and then she tried to get my internet back on and she was able to. Im sure this issue will happen again tomorrow. Im going to demand a full refund and switch as so as I can.

Katrina Billingsley
August 26th, 2019 Aurora, CO DETAILS

Awful. They bill in advance Legal crime. RIP you off!

Terrone
August 23rd, 2019 Frenchtown, NJ DETAILS

Perfect example of greed. This company doesn't give a darn about you or anyone else. I have no other choices but may have to be drastic and think outside the Box because I want to get rid of these guys in the worst way they are absolutely horrible. Service is always intermittent sometimes I only have .025 of MBPS. Never have had close to what they advertise. They refuse to update the infrastructure. Worst company I have ever had to deal with the owner manager should be ashamed of himself.

Jon
August 20th, 2019 Fort Myers, FL DETAILS

Century Links customer service is atrocious. Long hold times, rescheduled appointments, no shows etc. Their system experiences difficulties consistently as well. This is a poorly run show to be sure.

Paul Nelson
July 29th, 2019 Lena, WI DETAILS

Poor communication . Don't care about service issues. F- . Can't even use the phone much less the internet. constant crackling on the phone line. Pittyfull !

Gerald j.Dombrowski
July 29th, 2019 North Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

I've had centurylink for about 20 years and their a bait and switch company ,meaning they tell you one price charge you another price , but I'm looking ,and I'll keep looking until I find one that are more credible

Bret Stockton
July 25th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

After dealing with many debacles to get service set up I realized I had just made an error by switching to centurylink. I hoped it would improve after that but no such luck. Was constantly haunted with buffering, horrific customer service plus billing issues & outages. Do yourself a favor by steering clear of this company!

Sage Robertson
July 22nd, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

We use Century Link currently as our internet provider. I wouldn't say it's the best, but it's not the worst. I feel that their customer service lacks, and the quality is only sub par. I also have had issues with billing, and the customer service didn't seem to care.

Cheyenne Gravley
July 19th, 2019 Max Meadows, VA DETAILS

Everytime there is a power outage. CenturyLink loses remote access connection to your ip address. Now, field team can remotely fix this in seconds. And since CenturyLink doesn't teach their regular chat/phone employees how to understand this problem and how easy the solution is. They don't understand & send you a tech to your home, each time. A waste of your time, A waste of the Tech's time as well. Because when the tech arrives, he has to also contact CenturyLink and wait for field team to remotely connect. It's 2019. WiFi isn't new. This should not be a repeated problem, every other month.

Gordon Gibb
July 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Three years ago the speed did not get above 3 mps in our residential area. We paid for more speed but it wasn't available. Service was dependable.

Lauren
July 8th, 2019 Rocky Mount, VA DETAILS

We have had this wifi service since we moved a year ago. It’s the only internet provider for my small town. It is AWFUL. I have to restart the Modem at least 6 or 7 times a day, just for the wifi to work. Not to mention, it’s so obnoxiously slow when it does actually work. We literally have to be in the room, sitting in front of the thing for it to have any type of connection to it. We have contacted them numerous times. They’ve come out and checked our modem at least three times; they say “it should work now”, yet it’s still the same horrid connection. They contacted us and asked about switching a plan, saying it would have better reach and connectivity. We fell for it, now we’re paying 2x what we paid before and still having the exact same issues, except WORSE. We used to have Cox, and it never had a single issue. We used them for a little over 4 years and I never, not once, had to restart the modem or even call them with a problem. Save your money. If your town has another internet service that may cost a little bit more, spend the extra cash if you want to actually have decent wifi and decent costumer service. Luckily for us, a new internet service provider has moved to our town. We, along with everyone else in the neighborhood, will be switching within the next month. Hopefully this review will actually post, being that I’m connected to a potato of a modem.

Hshash
July 8th, 2019 DETAILS

Century link is the worst internet you could possibly have it’s always going down and it is very unreliable despite what most say I had no choice but using them because they are th only internet where I live but they are absolutely the worst experience I have ever had with a service ever they are not even worth a dollar of your money

Mikey
June 28th, 2019 Arvada, CO DETAILS

You get about 80% of the speed you pay for (which is not bad...), My Century Link reliability is Great, it is fully functional better than 99% of the time. The BIG problem is that Century Link is a VARY Greedy company, they make you Re Negotiate the cost of your service every year OR they switch you to "price for life". This year my wife called to re negotiate and switched us to "price for life" this resulted in a 2.5 X price increase.

Rosann Stanko
June 26th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

We have had CenturyLink for several years and we’ve been pleased with the service. 🤨 I am especially pleased with the customer service bc the people are patient with my questions and they are good at answering my questions. If they do not know the answers, they are quick to check with a supervisor or someone else that knows the answer.

Chloe Adams
June 25th, 2019 Morgan, UT DETAILS

I purchased centurylink for my home in northern Utah with very high hopes. We canceled our subscription as soon as possible. The WiFi device was terrible. When we contacted Century link I was met with an annoying automated voice, and little to no help. I was left angry and throughly displeased.

Ruth
June 24th, 2019 Youngtown, AZ DETAILS

The price is reasonable. However, the service drops significantly during certain times of the day. It would be great if the speed remained the same throughout the day.

Jason
June 24th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I like CenturyLink because they have fast service and they always answer my questions.

Kerry
June 21st, 2019 DETAILS

price keeps going up. started out pretty fair then wanted to change service and told we couldnt. customer service is poor have been on hold for over 30 min many times

Alan
June 21st, 2019 DETAILS

Any questions I had were always answered promptly and correctly. Service Reps are on time and have never seemed to waste time.

Sandy
June 21st, 2019 DETAILS

We've only had a couple issues and had prompt resolutions. We love centurylink!

Raymond
June 21st, 2019 DETAILS

in the past, we have had nothing but problems with them. however, since having a home in Gold Canyon,AZ, they have been excellent to date.

Craig Crowl
June 18th, 2019 Park Falls, WI DETAILS

Expensive land line plans. Internet service is out far to often. Customer service not available weekends and when available it sucks. One of the worst companies I have ever done business with.