CenturyLink Logo

CenturyLink

5.9

LAST UPDATED: December 2nd, 2022

While the company started as a small family business in the 1930s, CenturyLink has eventually become a household name in the ISP industry.

CenturyLink has a history of acquiring other companies to increase its nationwide reach. These expansion efforts led CenturyLink to become the third largest telecommunications company in the United States. It serves all 50 states with its extensive fiber-optic internet networks and DSL service.

CenturyLink offers Price for Life plans that don't have a contract and boast download speeds as high as 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps). Customers can choose plans that have a data cap of 300 GB or plans with unlimited data.

Recently, CenturyLink has expanded even further to offer entertainment like Century Prism and DirecTV service. If you're interested in purchasing phone or TV service in addition to internet, you can bundle services to save money.

CenturyLink strives for great customer service to help each of its customers have a unique, positive experience.

View Customer CenturyLink Reviews

The Good

• Fast Speed Available
  • Contract-Free Price for Life Plans
  • No Overage Charges
  • 24/7 Technical Support

Fast Speed Available

CenturyLink offers a wide range of internet speeds for its customers. These speeds are specific to an exact location and vary depending on the area, but they are typically among the higher speeds in the industry. In some areas, customers can have a download speed of up to 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) in major cities with fiber-optic availability. This top possible speed is one of the fastest internet speeds available on the market, especially compared to the available speeds from other broadband providers.

Upload speeds range between 256 kbps and 5 Mbps. If you need a high-speed internet connection, check with CenturyLink customer service to see what is available in your zip code.

Contract-Free Price for Life Plans

Like most ISPs, CenturyLink offers packages based on speed. You can determine what works for you based on the devices you'll use and the number of people in your household.

If you sign up for internet service online, CenturyLink offers four plans that don't require a contract in most states. The rates for these plans won't rise if you keep the plan without making any changes (like an address change):

• 20–140 Mbps — $50 per month
  • Fiber Internet 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) — $55 per month

You probably won’t need a contract, because CenturyLink can typically offer its packages on a month-to-month basis. You don't need to worry about pricing increases, an early termination fee, or rate changes.

CenturyLink provides reliable internet for a home Wi-Fi network. The company also offers good internet security and backup services with its internet packages through Norton by Symantec.

Making payments each month for internet is easy to do through an online CenturyLink user account.

No Overage Charges

You may have to watch out for CenturyLink's data caps; it's something that a few CenturyLink customers complain about.

CenturyLink sets limits for how much of the internet its customers can use in any given month, which is 1 TB. This is a generous amount of data, so most customers won't surpass it. Internet service providers do this to try to control the available speeds for all of their customers and make sure the system functions properly, but it can be a drawback if you use up a lot of data.

CenturyLink customers who exceed their data limits will not be required to pay an overage charge. If you eat up too much data, you'll receive a notice. CenturyLink might slow your service down.

24/7 Technical Support

The company offers 24/7 technical support, which is very convenient. If a customer is not satisfied with the services they receive from CenturyLink, they are protected with a thirty-day, money-back guarantee.

Be aware that some customers complain of poor customer support. Reviewers note that phone communication with CenturyLink takes a long time, and technician visits are sometimes missed and rescheduled. This is a frequent complaint in the ISP industry. Test out your commununication with a customer service rep through your preferred method of contact to get an idea of the average wait time and quality of response.

The Bad

• Variable Speed Availability
  • Variable Price for Life Availability
  • Additional Fees
  • Customer Complaints

Variable Speed Availability

Not all of CenturyLink’s plan options and speeds may be available in your area. Fiber is typically available in select urban locations.

It is easy to view plans that are available in your area on CenturyLink’s website. Rural areas are more likely to have access to DSL service and slower speeds.

Variable Price for Life Availability

The CenturyLink Price for Life guarantee isn't available in all 50 states. Check to see if CenturyLink allows a package with a Price for Life guarantee in your area.

Additional Fees

CenturyLink charges additional fees for the following:

• Modem rental — $10 per month or ~$150 one-time purchase
  • Installation — $125

The modem one-time purchase cost varies but is no higher than $150. Be sure to ask what the cost would be to you if you purchased it one-time versus paying an extra $10 monthly rental fee.

Some areas may have an option for self-installation, which is free.

If your plan with CenturyLink is based on a contract agreement, then you may be subject to an early termination fee if you end the contract early.

Customer Complaints

Customers complain about a variety of issues with CenturyLink, including poor customer service, connection issues, and connection speeds lower than their advertised plans. Be aware that most internet providers have similar complaints.

The Bottom Line

In recent years, CenturyLink has become one of the biggest broadband ISPs in the country. Its broadband internet service is available in all 50 states. But be warned: each specific address has different high-speed availability.

One perk of CenturyLink is that the service is month-to-month without a contract. This gives customers more flexibility.

Before signing up for CenturyLink, be sure to pay attention to additional fees — setup and equipment — and the offerings available in your area. As with any internet service provider, read the terms and conditions before signing up for service.

Overall, CenturyLink provides quality service with affordable prices. Potential customers should consider CenturyLink when choosing an internet provider.

Call our recommended rep over at CenturyLink below.

2.6

Fred Antrim Tucson, AZ

Pricing is great and monthly bill never changes. Customer service on the other hand is difficult to speak with someone live and when you do their English generally is t good enough when you have a real issue. When it’s escalated it usually is resolved

Amber Scott Portland, OR

I’m pleased with the service but don’t like that I can’t pay ahead of time. The internet can be slow or glitch, either stuck or goes straight back to home page. Mainly reliable

Russ Leaming Blair, NE

CenturyLink has no technical support via phone or internet. Spent 2 hours on the phone trying to get them to send a tech out as the line coming into the house had noise on it. CenturyLink phone support can only read step by step instructions from a guidebook on what to do. After 2 hours on the phone, they finally agreed to send a tech out. The tech called before he came out as they are not given information on what the problem is. After speaking to the tech less than a minute he knew what the problem was. A bad phone line coming into the house. The tech could actually hear the noise on the phone as he was talking to me, the same noise that was on the phone for 2 hours when I talked with phone support. I finally just got rid of my home phone and DSL. Having no service at all is better than having CenturyLink.

Susan Bowes Aberdeen, WA

i had them for internet when i lived in seattle and they were terrible i didn't even get the speed i was suppose to get and anything faster they didn't know if or when it would be availible in my area.. they were not very knowledgeable

DarrellGene Herring Chicago, IL

It has been a very reliable and every problem I ran I too they always seemed to direct me and help me thou and fix. Thanx

Donald RockJr Cape Coral, FL

CenturyLink os okay for internet services. I pay price for life for 100 mbps, but have never gotten 100. It's usually around 94, if that.

Dawn Kyrola Esko, MN

Century Link is the worst company we've ever had to deal with! I can't believe you are still in business. A phonecall with you is a minimum of one hour, no body knows how or what to do. We've had no working home phone for almost a month. TWO repair appts have been set up in the last seven days, BOTH were no-shows. They didn't try to contact us at all on both days. Horrible customer service!!!

Jon & Danielle E (Jon) Greeley, CO

Horrible customer service, horrible internet speed for the money. Constant internet outages (several times daily for months now). Horrible service techs that have been out 5 times in the last 6 months with an 8 hour arrival window!!! 8 hours is ridiculous. I have to take the entire day off work for. Each tech gives us a new modem and says something is wrong that is different from what the previous techs have said. Use someone else, literally anyone else!

Dkn West Valley City, UT

Overall I'm happy that they decided to go with a fixed cost plan. It was irritating to have to contact them yearly to renew a contract and try to get them to find similar discounts as the year before. The internet speed is just ok and they have glitches every so often which is really irritating.

Ellie Bradley Thousand Oaks, CA

We enjoyed very reliable internet access. A couple of times we had to call for estimated times of service turning back on after storms or high-winds. Customer service was always very helpful though not very quick to answer calls. Sometimes I stayed on a hold over an hour.

G.J. Boise, ID

We have been with Centurylink for years. Over the years we have had bad service and good service. Most of the time it’s okay. They have helped me with some issues sometimes it takes them a long time to get the problem fixed. I have not been with any other company so I can’t really say they are better or worse with their service. Over all it’s not a bad company

Arif Hussain Chandler, AZ

We are using Century link for our cellphone service over 5 yrs and we are happy with the service. If any questions/issues the customer service staff takes care of us immediately. We will continue to use CenturyLink for years to come.

Jane Eden Prairie, MN

I would like to give a negative 5 for my experience. My Mom-in-Law recently moved from her home into assisted living. We opened a new account for her in her new apartment and cancelled her old account at her home. We were not informed of how to establish new service at her new address so called for technical assistance. After HOURS of phone wait time and endless chats we got a text saying a service tech would come by between 8:00 and 4:30. But, if tech turned out not to be needed we would be charged $99. Fine. We then got a text confirming the tech would be at the HOUSE address at that time! There was NO way of correcting this outside of cancelling the order! We could not make the correction for the correct address! AND we got the bill for services we still do not have. It is also impossible to cancel on-line or by phone and all their brick and mortar stores are closed. If you value your sanity avoid CenturyLink at all costs!

Trish webb Phoenix, AZ

Currently using Centrylink for my internet provider. I use the prepaid plan and I’ve had no issues with running multiple tv’s streaming as well as computers.

Michelle Crane Queen Creek, AZ

We have been century link customers for the past 5 years. They have always exhibited excellent customer service when we have had connection problems and have even given us a $100 gift card When we have moved to incentivize us to stay. Great company and great fast service

Denetria Penfield Midvale, UT

Had this company's internet service when I was with my ex-husband in Texas when he was in the military. At the time they catered to a lot of military personnel especially in that area with deals. They didn't like to tell you about was that deal for military didn't last they sold you on thinking that you were getting a discount because you were a military not a discount for an weird number of months and then you got doubling or sometimes even tripling your price. By that time when you start actually saying something about it they would try to get you to invest in a different plan that is still originally higher than the one you had in the first place but trying to offer you a wonderful deal all over again and it was a cycle. The service itself was so so I give it a c+. I know there were times where we needed help and we couldn't even get anybody out there other than the excuse that they didn't have enough workers. There were days where we sat there waiting for them all day and never even heard anything or they never even came at all. I just think they're an average company

Yael Lynchburg, VA

I had CenturyLink in my apartment in college and loved it! Fast internet, no issues whatsoever. It's great for streaming, and the installation was easy, the technician was very professional, the job was well done. I'm very happy and satisfied with the service.

Melinda Thompson Wentzville, MO

My internet service with CenturyLink in my new home was a great experience for 8 months, until lightening took out my internet. I was without service for a month. I was going through a divorce and buying a rental property while living in a rural area. I desperately needed my internet and was extremely disappointed in how long it took to get a technician dispatched. The technician that finally made it out had the problem fixed very quickly and was professional. When I suggested to Customer Service that I was due a refund for the extended time that I was without internet, they laughed. I am looking into returning to AT&T.

Thawkes2017 AL

This was the only company available a few years ago in my area. I had dialup and it was so slow. I hope they have upgraded and offer better service now.

Merel Jacobs

If I could leave zero stars, I would. Century Link is by far the worst customer service I have ever received. I just moved to a new apartment and have been on and off with customer care for WEEKS. None of them can seem to help identify why my internet is not working and are very belittling when I explain my situation. Their answer is always "call customer care" to which I wait on hold for at minimum 30 minutes with no answer. I recommend this provider to NO ONE and wish I could use xfinity at my new location. Sincerely, a very upset customer.

Mary Ellen Lee Gilbert, AZ

The price is right with Century Link, but the quality is not. I still think Century Link is a great low budget option, but I pay more to have a better quality internet connection.

Steve Crain Ward, AR

After waiting a total of five hours over a span of two weeks, I finally was able to listen to a representative. I could not understand the verbal communication and was very diplomatic about that issue. I was advised a dispatch was needed and would be available July 1, 2022. Took a day off work, no one ever showed up. Make another two hour call a was advised there was no dispatch according to their records. I have been without internet since May 22,2022, have received a new modem, mailed the old one back in a timely manner. I was advised of a new work order on 7-21-22. During the total of six hours all I heard was a recording stating how great Centurylink is. I beg to differ. From 5-22-22 to July 21, 2022 is not acceptable in the business/ residential world of internet. On the positive side they did credit me the time without internet. I don’t believe they want any human interaction, just their monthly payment

Sharon E Tucson, AZ

Great internet service always on and reliable!!!

Thomas Olbrich Wheat Ridge, CO

Terrible customer service. This is a telephone company that can't seem to provide a live person with whom to speak. Menu after menu, then circles back to previous choices. A terrible waste of time trying to reach someone.

RONALD WHITE Phoenix, AZ

We have been with CenturyLink for well over 7 years now. We have never experienced the problems that some of our neighbors have had with the competitor internet company (which has been having many problems with slow internet service or no internet service). We are on their Price for Life program so we never see any price increases and have minimal connectivity problems...maybe reboot the router once a month or less. Internet speed has never been a problem even with streaming TV and 2 kids and my wife battling for bandwidth. I am extremely pleased with CenturyLink and I promote them as often as I can on NextDoor or Facebook neighborhood sites. Kudos to CenturyLink.

Ryan Pleasant Grove, UT

Century Link was a life saver. In a world full of over over priced internet providers (I am taking about you Comcast!), Century Link provided cheap internet that fit all my needs. All I wanted was internet fast enough for streaming services like YouTube and Netflix at an affordable price. Century Link delivered. I pay less than $30 a month and have no problems streaming shows. The downside to Century Link is that you need a DSL Connection (phone line) in your house. You do not need to pay a phone bill but you do need the connection in your house. Thankfully the apartment my wife and I are in has one. I know friends of mine who pay $50-$70 for the same internet speed I get with Century Link. And I do not need to buy some stupid tv package. Why would I pay for cable tv when there is Netflix. You can't go wrong with Century Link!

Nati Lopez St. Petersburg, FL

Worst company ever do not get service they don’t care about customer service I’ve been without Internet for two weeks and no one seems to be able to fix it because they are lazy. I made an appointment in wait for two weeks and they canceled my appointment without telling me why, horrible Comcast is way better

Stan Rosenzweig Salt Lake City, UT

Why doesn't Centurylink care? Land line phone has been dead for four days now. They don't consider land line dial tone essential and after hours on the phone and internet chat, they gave me a 3 day appointment 8:45am to 5 pm Weds. Then they were a no show. Tried to reschedule and they were a no show again. hours on chat with bots. No human to talk with and no service. I may never hear land line dial tone again because they are the only game in town.

Stacey Knox Denver, CO

We have been with Centurylink for about a year now. In that year we have had our internet "connected without internet" a minimum of 12 times. When we call in they tell us that our service is working fine. Well, if is was do you think i would be calling?!?! Their service tech appointments are a week out. Which means we go a week with no internet. This past time the internet went out we scheduled with the tech. We were told someone 18 or older had to be home the day of the service "your tech may arrive between 8am and 6pm" 😲 So just you sit around like you have nothing else to do and wait for him! Okay, so I take the day off of work. I sit around patiently waiting. Then my phone alerts me that the technician has completed the service and it is working??? WHAT?!? I live in the country. I have 2 dogs and a driveway doorbell. The tech never even pulled in my driveway! 🤬 I call century link and ask to speak with a supervisor---sure no problem one will call you back. Well, here we are 48 hours later and no supervisor phone call. I called back again explaining my situation (oh, and BTW if you get a representative that speaks English well consider yourself lucky! 😖) The tech says they will direct page the technician to come back to my house with a replacement router and he will be there before 6pm that day or before noon the next day (another day we have to take off work to sit around waiting) Well, 2pm and no sign of the tech so we call in. We wait on hold for over 30 minutes and explain our situation and are told, "please hold" after 30 minutes of holding we hang up. Okay, lets try their "chat" feature which is supposed to be quicker. We chat with an individual who again tells us our internet is working. I invite them to come try to connect to it and ask to speak to a supervisor....oh, imagine that: "your connection has been lost" they disconnect the conversation. You cannot even get through to speak to anyone and if you do they disconnect or put you on an infinate hold! Their service works great WHEN IT WORKS. But if you need ANY service forget it---they have the WORST customer service of any business I have seen in my life. So here I am waiting another 10 days for my next service appointment to fix my internet. I will be without internet for over 2 weeks before (if he even shows up) the technician comes again. I am now shopping around for another provider. If you have another choice LOOK around!!!

Kwame Herzog Albuquerque, NM

Since the date we set up for internet, this company has been a nightmare to deal with. First a technician marked that they had delivered items needed to set up our internet, which never happened. Then when the items were eventually delivered, and set up by myself. It didn’t work so I called them and stated that we still didn’t have internet (keep in mind I asked for a tech to be scheduled with the delivery as we just moved into the building), which they then mentioned that a tech needed to come out to activate the line. Luckily the tech was the only one who knew how to get things done. Sporadically my internet goes out during my work day (I work from home) and then I have to do a whole song and dance for it to sometimes come back. But each time I have to call these people, they seem to always have an explanation as to why it’s not working but yet can’t fix it and then I’m told I need to wait 4days before a technician can come out to figure out what may be wrong. Each time I tell them I can wait four days for you guys to maybe send some one out, please figure out how to send someone over now. No one seems to actually want to do any work to resolve this matter. If I had the option to go with another provider, I would in a heart beat. If you have ants that can provide you with internet service, go with them. At least you know what you are getting.

Carlyle Colorado Springs, CO

Below is my verbatim response to a recent Centurylink post customer service survey: You can make it much easier by answering your support phone calls within a few minutes and start helping your customers without them holding on the phone for hours. I absolutely hate calling Centurylink for support as I know I will commonly be holding on the phone for hours before a support person will actually start helping with a problem. You think people have nothing better to do with their time? We had to stay on the line for 3.5 hours before an support agent starting helping us and then holding around another .5 hours after being transferred to a second person to get a recommended replacement modem/router send to us to attempt to solve our connection problem. Try doing that sometime then think about what kind of service you just received. If it weren’t for having so many devices (multiple Firesticks, echo dots, smart TVs, a printer, a Roku etc.) tied to your router/modem wireless address etc. that we would have to reprogram to another provider we would already be done with your terrible support service. We might still do that as this same long hours of waiting has happened too many times in the past few years with us and friends. Don’t you keep stats on waiting times from start of a call to the end? It is disgusting. I know you justify it as “well”, people can go on to your online help and spend all of their time searching for help with little or no success or chat via typing when some people are very slow 1 finger typers. Plus with your internet out that only leaves the phone to work with and it’s extremely small screen to see any support site and very small keys to try and chat with. Plus some people have to pay for all those minutes. Believe me, that we and others share our experiences with our acquaintances and online review sites which I have done before and will do again soon after this last experience. Good luck keeping your customers with your present policies of “helping” your customers. We would be pleased to see you go out of business. No apology will ever suffice for your kind of current support service. By the way your agent ended up talking us into buying a $261 new router to fix our lack of internet connection. When it arrived, I installed it and there was still no connection so I had to call back and your next agent said it was the DSL line which it turned out to be. I had told the original agent the DSL light indicator was not green so why try to sell us a new device? Now we had to return your expensive modem/router as the one we already had was NOT faulty as suggested by your original support agent. Add us to your, I suspect, growing list of totally dissatisfied customers.

CSue Fargo, ND

Century link was great I had multiple devices connected and never had an issue with speed. One time my service wasn't working, a tech was there that same day within 3 hours of me calling, on a Saturday even!!!

Shelton Germaine Rogers, AR

I really dislike CenturyLink. I had to use them for about 15 years down in Central Arkansas. They would lie about their service just to get you to sign up (DSL at the time), then once you got all of the equipment installed they would tell you that you were too far from the switch and try to get you to pay a cancellation fee. I ended up going all the way to the office of presidents in order to get this fixed. To make it worse, many years later, (last year) I tried to change from Cox (now in north west arkansas) to this company. The customer service was so bad that I just hung up. I couldn't get basic questions answers let alone sign up for service. I should have known better.

Lisa Cato Tallahassee, FL

Centurylink internet has been a reliable source for our streaming and educational functions. Even during bad weather, the service still is consistent. The price is also fair.

Cam Hall Richmond, VA

I had CenturyLink in a few of my residences out in rural or outer urban areas due to lack of options, and they truly acted as if they were the only option in town. They had options for lower speeds than I'd expect at the time, the pricing was higher than competitors better options, and their support was more limited (if I lost internet it was always for at least 6 hours, usually 12). It's definitely better than dial up or DSL, but that's the best I can say.

Pam Sims Hayden, ID

My experience with CenturyLink is ancient. It was probably 12-15 years ago. For me, it was a nightmare. I had it for myself and my grandchildren. The billing was always (every month I had to call) messed up. Between dates and costs, they couldn’t keep it straight. And it would be disconnected ( service address mix-up?) every time. I’d pay a reconnect fee, later to be refunded. It was a nightmare.

Andrew Glover Tucson, AZ

Their reliability compared to fiber or cable internet has always been slightly less with more random outages. Their "price for life" guarantee was a nice feature of the plan, although fees did increase outside of the set price of service which made the bill slowly climb over time.

Los Aurora, CO

Since having their services i haven't had any internet issues. I joined when they had the promotion of pay once simple price. My service fee is fixed and its what i like about this company. So many people have bad experiences with this company. You pay for get. People want flawless internet connections and speed for 20.00. Like I said, you pay for what you get.

R. Coon

We have used both Century Link and Comcast for several years each, sometimes at the same time. We use internet service for our voip phone (various voip providers - Ooma at this time - but Voipo was really good too). Both had a tendancy to offer a low (reasonable) price (<$50) to get you in, then later start slipping in fees and charges or just raising rates. I would just wait for a good offer from the competitor and switch companies to keep the price down. I requested the cheapest / slowest plan CenturyLink offered and it seems to meet our needs most of the time. Occassionally I notice slowing during high usage time (like 4-7 right after people get off work), but rarely does it cause problems. When things are working as they should we can watch Netflix without a problem. I just tested internet speed on several test sites around 3:30pm and our download speed is around 7.5mbps and upload is 0.7mbps. We have had issues with latency a few times that showed up in our voip phone not working even though internet worked ok. Since we use different providers for internet and voip service there is a tendancy for one to point fingers at the other. Voipo was really great about testing our connetion and giving me hard data to give to our internet service providers to "help" them identify the problem on their end. Ultimately CenturyLink repalced the line to our house and did some line switching up on the pole which solved our problem. CenturyLink finally offered to lock our price in for life with a "loyal customer" discount. so we are $10/mo lower than normal cost on their most basic service. Although CenturyLink has stepped up when needed, it did take Voipo to tell them they had the problem. My mother-in-law also has CenturyLink and has had practically zero internet usability for months. She calls occassionally to complain but isn't persistant enough. That looks bad on them because her son tells her its because CenturyLink is no good and they need to switch to Comcast. I think CenturyLink and Comcast are similar in customer service, either one you must be persistant and patient to fix problems. CenturyLink is currently the winner for me because they offered to lock in my price. Frankly I can't justify more than $450/yr for internet service - I consider internet service a luxury item and could live without the voip phone since we have cellphones. I have better things to do with my money. I give a guarded thumbs-up to CenturyLink for (eventually) rewarding customer loyalty.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

CenturyLink offers fast speeds at ridiculously low prices. What's more is you can lock it in for longer spans of time so your billing is stable, They are courteous and their technical help staff are amazing. While a complex problem can arise, they are well trained to fix issues and get you back on your way with minimal disruption. Can't ask for better.

Roger Dee Creswell, OR

I beg to differ with Vartan gregarian . If you think CenturyLink is the worst try HughsNet. After that you will LOVE, Love, Love CenturyLink. I Just switched over and though I cannot get highspeed in my area it is the first rural provider that has offered consistent speed at a decent price. I have to admit that I have not had it long so maybe haven't had the experience to know better but after HughsNet I have to give CenturyLink a 5

Ian Johnson Rio Rancho, NM

I LOVE that they offer 1G internet in my area and it is the same price as other competitors standard speeds (100-150Mbps). I am able to get much better internet for the same price? That's an easy choice. The only thing I don't really care for is that the service isn't always reliable. Overall, I have no issues connecting to the internet and getting decent download and upload speeds, but, more often than not, I am only pulling a fraction of what I should be. For example, on a normal day, I pull around 300Mbps Download. It's not bad, but it's definitely not nearly as good as it should be. I would still highly recommend them, though. No other provider can beat them in my area.

Dan Czarnecki Saint Paul, MN

In the particular location of my apartment I've lived in for half a year now, we have only 2 choices for ISPs: CenturyLink and Comcast/Xfinity. Before I got into my apartment, I briefly stayed with some friends at their place, which had CenturyLink Internet and Prism TV. Overall, I was very pleased with both of those services, so I thought why not go with them for my Internet (plus, I already had a phone jack in a convenient place in my apartment so that made the choice of going with them even better). Didn't need Prism or traditional cable TV since I don't watch too much live TV other than sports. So because of that, I have PlayStation Vue for my TV service, and I pay only $35/month for that. For the time I've had my service with CenturyLink, it has been problem free for me. The speeds I have are the fastest ones I can get in my area, that being 40 Mbps down/5 Mbps up. Wish the upload speed could be faster, but at least it's faster upload speeds than with the 20, 12, and 7 down services (all of which are a pathetic 896 Kbps up). For uploading photos it's plenty fast, but when uploading longer videos, the slower speed is definitely evident. Nothing too unbearable though. If anything, it's nice knowing that I have fairly decent speeds without the worry of having to deal with slower speeds during peak hours that users of cable Internet have to deal with. That right there is one of the many reasons I'm happy I went with CenturyLink over Xfinity as I'm sure a good majority of the tenants in my building have Xfinity for their Internet as opposed to CenturyLink. My speeds are very sufficient for my usual YouTube and Netflix streaming, and it works great with my PlayStation Vue TV service as well. As you will see in my attached image, my speeds are actually a little faster than advertised, clocking in at 45.12 Mbps for the download and 5.12 Mbps for the upload. Speed tests that I run every now and then on speedtest.net and other sites clock in a little below what my modem configuration page shows because I of course use WiFi (with an AirPort Extreme), but they're still very respectable at 42+ Mbps down and just below 5 Mbps up with anywhere from 18-20ms in terms of my ping. In the grand scheme of things, CenturyLink is great, but only if you can get their 40 down/5 up service or their gigabit fiber service if available in your area. Unfortunately, in my parts it's only available in Minneapolis and its surrounding suburbs at this time, and plans for it to extend east over to St. Paul is currently unknown. Not a huge deal though, since I am very happy with my service I'm getting.

MICHAEL S ROSS Sherman, TX

I used Century Link for 10 years for landline and internet service when I lived in Alabama. Their rates were competitive, and their service was excellent. Any problems were addressed immediately. Their internet division was very helpful when I encountered a glitch, and their customer care representatives were always very friendly and courteous, and well-equipped to offer solutions to issues. Unfortunately, Century Link doesn't provide service to my area of Texas. Otherwise, I'd use them for my internet service today.

JimS. Cathedral City, CA

I had CenturyLink for DSL service when I lived in Seattle, and they were “OK“. The cost was good, and it was fast enough for what I needed at the time. When I tried to sell my house, I disconnected my service for one month. When my temporary arrangement changed and I had to move back into it, they refused to restore my service unless I paid installation charges and a higher rate because they were switching to fiber instead copper facilities in my neighborhood. My service had only been disconnected for three weeks, but they refused to budge. I told them if they didn’t reconnect the same service over the same facilities that I had used for several years, I would not be using them. They didn’t care. I didn't re-install with them. The service was OK, but just like Comcast, their customer retention attitudes are deplorable.

Matthew Locke Tucson, AZ

It's very reliable internet service has very little downtime if any at all and a great app to follow all your internet needs.

Jeb Tubbs Syracuse, UT

This is a nightmare. 4 months with lines that don't work... wi-fi use 25% of the time. Land line so scratchy you can't have a conversation. 4 months of scheduled repair techs that have showed up twice and failed to fix issue. Too many to count no-shows....they just don't show up. No one helps but the bill comes every month like perfect clockwork. I'm canceling and going to a satellite service. I been withe these cows for over a decade and now they refuse to help me.

Bradley Exley Wake Forest, NC

Terrible internet always goes out and if more then 1 person gets on just completely shits the bed. I have to sit on my phone off the internet for hours and wait till everyone is asleep to do anything. Stay away from century link terrible company who constantly moves dates and doesn’t care about the customers only want your money and try to rope u in with “deals” when it reality the deal last maybe a month. Then your stuck paying a bill for something your not getting from them. Would not mind if they got taken out of business.

Gary MI

Concur with the even trying to get a problem fixed, they push you to their Virtual assistant, who get hung up, does nothing. Been on the phone now for 1 hour 47 minutes just to get my dead modem replaced. Only find out tech sent my modem to my billing address in Texas and not the service address in LA as I explained to them then when I started asking for tracking number and SR# for the replacement I got hung up on....

Josh Hughes Denver, CO

I've been very happy with my century link fiber. Their no contract plan is perfect and I've never had issues with them.