CenturyLink

6.7

What started as a small family business in the 1930s has eventually become a household name in the internet service industry. Throughout their history, CenturyLink has continually acquired other companies and businesses in order to better serve their current and future customers. These expansion efforts have lead them to become the third largest telecommunications company in the United States. They serve 50 states with their extensive fiber optic networks. Recently, CenturyLink has expanded even further to offer entertainment services like Century Prism and Direct TV. Their great customer service helps each of their customers have a unique, positive experience.

The Good

• Fast service speed
  • Pay for speed not a package
  • 24/7 technical support

Service Speed

CenturyLink offers a wide range of internet speeds for their customers. These speeds are very specific to an exact location and vary depending on the area. Even though general available speeds are not given, customers can know that their speed could be as fast as 1 Gbps. That top possible speed is extremely fast, especially compared to the available speeds from other internet service providers. Customers who need very fast speed would benefit greatly from checking with a CenturyLink customer service agent to see what is available in their area.

Pay for what you Use

CenturyLink offers their services to customers in a unique way, customers pay for what they receive. The majority of these companies explain that speeds do vary based on the exact location, but still offer packages. CenturyLink stands out among the industry for the way they offer services to their customers.

Technical Support

Some other beneficial features of CenturyLink's business procedures make them a good choice for internet service. They offer 24/7 technical support to all of their customers which is very convenient. If a customer is not satisfied with the services they receive from CenturyLink they are protected with a 30 day money back guarantee.

The Bad

• Contract required
  • Possible data limits

Contract Required

One negative aspect of CenturyLink's services is the need for a contract. They require every customer to sign a one year contract in order to get the service hooked up. A contract requires customers to pay for their service for that allotted amount of time. If the customer needs to end their service, they will have to pay an exit fee to cancel that contract. While there are internet service providers who do require contracts, most companies in this industry do not require contracts from their customers.

Possible Data Limits

Unfortunately for CenturyLink customers, they also may have to watch out for data caps set up by the company. This means that CenturyLink has set limits for how much of the internet their customers can use in any given month. Internet service providers do this to try to control the available speeds for all of their customers and make sure the system functions properly, but it can be a drawback for customers. CenturyLink customers who exceed their data limits will not be required to pay an overage charge. When a customer goes over their limit, they will receive a notice and then depending on the health of the overall network different actions will be taken.

The Bottom Line

In recent years, CenturyLink has become one of the biggest internet service providers in the country. Their internet service is available in all 50 states. They do not offer general packages and prices. Each specific address has different availability and so customers will be charged for by their location, not for the general package price. Customers will have to deal with a one year contract and possible data caps. These two aspects of their service can be big turn-offs for customers because many other companies do not require either of these things. Overall, CenturyLink provides quality service with affordable prices. Potential customers should consider CenturyLink for their internet service needs.

1.3

Karin Buxton

January 4th, 2018 Trabuco Canyon, CA DETAILS

Worst customer service EVER!!!! Go someplace else for your service!!!

Galen Stolp

December 26th, 2017 Sioux Falls, SD DETAILS

Worst customer service I have ever experienced. And it takes a lot to be upset. Average call time to answer one questions is about 45 minutes to an hour and minimum 6-7 transfers. I do not recommend calling any customer service if you have an issue with their internet unless you have a full weekend or 2-3 hours to answer your question.

Eileen Daly

December 20th, 2017 Avon, CO DETAILS

I had CenturyLink Prism service for a year, and cancelled it when I moved in November 2016. I was told at the time that I would receive a box and prepaid label to return the cable box and modem. I gave them a new address to send the label and box. It was never received. I contacted CenturyLink again and they said they would sent it, I gave a different address hoping that that was the problem. Nothing was received. The cable box and modem were just sitting in my house so I contact CenturyLink via the online chat system and was given an address to send the boxes. I sent the boxes and assumed everything was settled with the account. I later received a refund for the unused balance of the month I cancelled. Months later I received a bill from CenturyLink with a large balance for the cancelled account. I was traveling abroad at the time, and spoke via online chat with CenturyLink and was assured that this was an error, that the account was cancelled and nothing is due or owing. A few months later I received a paper bill at my new address from CenturyLink totaling over $600. I immediately called, and after being told by numerous people that my account couldn't be located because the account number on the bill was incorrect (nine-digit instead of ten), someone located the bill and told me that it was indeed an error, that Prism billing systems are not in sync and while cable was cancelled internet was not properly cancelled in their billing system. I was told that this would be resolved, that not only was noting owed but I was due a refund. I also confirmed that the equipment was received and that nothing was outstanding on the account. In June I received a refund check for the unused balance of the internet portion of the bill for the month I cancelled. Yesterday, December 19, 2017, I received a bill from a collection agency, IC System, stating that I had a delinquent account with CenturyLink and owed $318.70. I called immediately and was told that they had no information other than the nine-digit account number and amount owed. They said I had to resolve it with CenturyLink. I spent over three hours on the phone with CenturyLink, spoke to 13 people and achieved no resolution. Almost no one was able to find my account. The ones that did find the account either stated that there was no balance owed or that they could not help me because it was a Prism account, or that it was a Legacy account, or that it was a Qwest account. I was told to call back the the next day when the collections department was open and speak to someone there. I called back today and was first told that I could not be transferred to the collection department. After speaking to a few people, I was transferred to one person who was able to find the account. I relayed the story to him and he tried to credit the account, and was not able to in his system. He then said he would explain the problem Prism financial department, and I was transferred there. The person I spoke to knew nothing of my problem and couldn't access the account. He then said that if the account was sent to collections I have to deal with the collection agency only. During my call yesterday customer service contacted the collection agency, who stated that they had no information or documentation about the account other than the balance and account number and that CenturyLink had to figure it out. He said that is not their protocol at all. I asked to speak to their department that sends things to collections and he said that I cold not because they do not speak to customers. I asked what could be done, if there was no one at CenturyLink to speak to about this bill and the credit agency did not have any information. He said he was sorry but there was nothing he could do because he couldn't access the account and/or put a credit on the account. It seems as though they are saying my only option is to pay the collection agency in order to protect my credit. The next person I spoke to said that it was my fault for returning the box myself (to the address CenturyLink provided) and that with Prism the modem and cable box get returned to different places. This is not something that was communicated to me at the time, and there is no reason why I should be penalized for returning the equipment myself when CenturyLink failed to send the box and/or label. He confirmed that no box or label was sent. CenturyLink confirmed to me months ago that the equipment was received, and has now sent a fraudulent bill to a collection agency, and is providing me no way to resolve the matter.

Jonathan

December 20th, 2017 Bountiful, UT DETAILS

Frankly there seem to be no good options for internet service. I have been with these guys for years and have to call back every year to try to keep my internet bill reasonable. I think they are better than comcast though. Just biding my time until google or someone else starts up service in our area. Hopefully they will understand what good customer service and value is.

Natasha

December 18th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

The prices are better than the competition, but the service is substandard.

Tiffany

December 18th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

We had CenturyLink in the past and when Comcast wasn't available in our new area we switched to CenturyLink. They have improved significantly since the last time we used them. So far, we have been happy with their service. We haven't had any issues so far and it was easy to get set up.

Alicia

December 15th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

They tell you one price get the bill and it is three times higher service is always in and out not very customer friendly can't understand half the people

Jen

December 9th, 2017 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

1. Home phone is useless doesn't work well and has massive static on line they claim comes from inside the house so we don't use it. 2. Forced to bundle by Century Link to get "best rate" for product don't even use - Home Phone 3. Internet drops at least 20+ times a day and sometimes it is out for at lease 5 minutes while modem resets. We have it in line of site to see massive drops 4. Asked to be on No solicit list and had 2 people come to my house soliciting 5. People that came to my house recently for soliciting wouldn't leave property despite asking multiple times 6. Solicitors told us we should "call" and see if we can get upgrades that have rolled out. "IF" Centurylink rolled out upgrades they should automatically update for the customer. 7. Company charges to pay online with a credit card as they say it is too expensive so they make the customer pay for it or "force" you to do on auto payment with checking acct # or pay with checking acct # online. 15 years of working in banking and dealing with fraud, this is the worst thing to do! 8. Company should be aware it will be a cold day in hell when they get Prism service or bundle direcTv service. Which by the way THEY and ATT & Verizon all take credit cards and don't charge a fee. 9. When I spoke with a rep earlier this year she offered to sign me up for loyalty discounts and said they expire. She said all you have to do is call the loyalty department and ask for them to be extended. It took me over 30 minutes to get them extended. I was given 28+ minutes of excuses, placed on hold over 4x and told that my plan was the best rate and they couldn't lower it. I didn't ask for my plan to be changed, lowered or whatever I asked to get the loyalty discount extended which YOUR employee told me would be a simple task. When it was FINALLY done, employee said oh I didn't know I could extend it. WTF....seriously when a customer is telling you what someone told them and you come up with every lie and excuse in the book and than act like it is the first time you've EVER been able to do this you wonder why I am not jumping for joy?!!! One of the worst companies I have ever dealt with!

Cloe Cessna

December 8th, 2017 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Yesterday at 2 in the afternoon internet and tv service went out. Was supposed to be back on at 8:30 this morning and then at 2:30 this afternoon Now company is saying 24 to 48 hours

Casey Trejo

December 8th, 2017 Santa Rosa Beach, FL DETAILS

Absolutely the worst customer service ever. They don't care to solve your problems and will lie just to get you off the phone. My internet service was supposed to be activated three days ago and I have been told multiple times each day that "the technician is almost there" or I'm "next in line." It's unbelievable. Worst of all- they're the only provider where I live, so they have the monopoly. If I had ANY other option I would switch in a heartbeat. To be honest, I've never heard of anyone having a good experience with CenturyLink.

Jason

December 8th, 2017 North Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Worst customer service! They failed to deliver service and did not even contact me about any updates. I had to call and be on the phone for over an hour each time I called, and even then... They never gave me a solution to their failure to set up service when they said they would. Don’t listen to their lies.

Christopher Pentico

December 8th, 2017 Grand Junction, CO

We had to wait a week to get a install date. The day comes and goes. No call no show. When we call the nice rep said “Sorry” She could reschedule for 10 days out. They own a PHONE company and they can’t call to say they are not coming? Right now still looking for a company that is working for the customer and not profit. I say to Cerntury Link “Sorry” you will not get my business.

Kevin Kearney Jr

December 8th, 2017 Cedar Rapids, IA DETAILS

Haven't upgraded in over 12 years, stuck at 1.5mbps at the same price as they offer for 40mbps. Rarely if ever do we actually get full 1.5mbps. They lie to keep us in contract claiming each year its planned to roll out soon. Few contracts ago guaranteeing by end of year or contract year we'd see 1gbps roll out. The next contract they said its delayed. Before signing up with this recent contract the story changed to 10mbps. Although better then what we have if thats all they plan to do after claims of 1gbps then its dangerously close to false advertising to sign contracts.

Hannah

December 7th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Our experience with CenturyLink has been, in a word, "meh." They aren't absolutely terrible, but they aren't fabulous. Our internet is usually good enough to stream Netflix and YouTube, but there are random weeks where it is slow as molasses. When we call about it, they can't really give us a reason or any help, which is super frustrating.

Lindsey

December 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT

CenturyLink is a very slow service. It's a cheap option, but slow and not reliable or efficient.

Tanah

December 5th, 2017 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

We’ve had century link three different times in three different homes. Starting is always a hassle. We’ve had problems each time with billing and getting things straightened out. We’ve come to just expect to be on the phone multiple times over several days with customer service. Good news is, if we’re persistent then it always gets resolved eventually, and once we make it through that stage, things are fine and it’s mostly reliable internet for relatively low cost.

Emerald Scott

December 5th, 2017 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

The customer service is good, but they make a lot of promises that they can't live up to. The internet is slow and unreliable. Their prices are too expensive for what you get which is often less than half of what you're paying for.

Evan Rasmussen

November 29th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

behind the times, internet drops constantly, terrible reception even when buying their best package.

Raquel

November 29th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Service can be spotty. It took 3 different people to help figure out why my service was slow but appreciated they tried to give me the right answer instead of just guessing.

Ken

November 20th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

It is hard to believe CenturyLink is still in business. Their customer service is horrible, they don't speak English, and they read from a script that isn't helpful. They have been down for as long as 4 days and refused to give me a credit. They NEVER provide the transfer rate I purchase and they don't care because I don't have any other competitive options.

Hayley Lambdin

November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

Booooooo...... it's slow, cheap, and their customer service sucks.

Nichole Davidson

November 13th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I was surprisingly impressed with my experience with CenturyLink. I had no major issues with my connection and the equipment always worked. I spoke with customer service only once but they were kind and were able to help me out quickly. My only complaint was that about half of the speed tests I ran said I was getting the speed I was paying for, but that seems to be typical for all internet providers I've dealt with.

Darrell

November 6th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Century Link is a blatantly dishonest company that I will never do business with again. In a nutshell, i was lured in by promises of cheap internet, only to discover they had changed the terms on me after 12 months. When I tried to get an explanation, navigating their customer service was a living hell. After weeks of frustration and clueless employees, I finally just quit the service. The whole situation was unprofessional and I felt like I had been deceived multiple times by their sales team, customer service, and advertisements.

Gary Mayer

November 5th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I tried century Link a few years ago and was not happy with their product. Several times had to go out side and clean snow from the dish to get a signal. Switched to Xfinity and no problems

Alex Murphy

November 2nd, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS

I have worked with many employees from Century Link. They seem really great and to care a lot about the success of their company

Pete

October 30th, 2017 Centerville, UT

We use CenturyLink at my office and almost twice a week the internet will go down for no reason at all. We have to reset the router and then wait about 15 minutes for it to start back up again. When that doesn't happen it's usually pretty good, that's my only complaint.

Steve

October 30th, 2017 DETAILS

Won't keep up with the changing market, overcharging for phone service, slow internet as well as overpriced, customer service is good when it came to canceling however.

David

October 30th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

It's just DSL. It's not great, but what sort of expectations do you have, really? The biggest problem with ISP is the cheap consumer routers. Most of the infrastructure is fine, it's the router that's the big issue.

Shelly Zollinger

October 28th, 2017 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Always ready to help when I call need help with something. Price keeps changing though.

Carilee Wilson

October 26th, 2017 Roy, UT DETAILS

The only thing that I have problems with is the constant price hikes that just show up on the bills.

Jackie

October 5th, 2017 Rossville, IN

They will not update our lines to fioptics and it runs right next to our street. Internet is snail. And I will continue to look for better stuff. They need to update system so they can have more customers cause they are not accepting any more customers

Sarah Martin

October 5th, 2017 Collegeville, PA

Where can I even start with this abominable excuse for a company? Like many others that have left reviews here, I am forced to use CenturyLink's services due to my location. Also, like many others, I would literally cut off my left arm (actually, let's make that the right...since I'm left-handed) to be able to utilize ANY other company's services for my Internet. The fact that I actually have to monetarily contribute to CL and give them my business disgusts me. Anyway, with my rant out of the way, let me now tell you why I feel so compelled to warn others against using CL's services. Recently, I moved residences and needed to transfer my Internet to my new address. First, the transfer never went through; I found out CL didn't put my new address onto my account, even though I SPECIFICALLY double-checked that all details were correct before ending my initial call. OK, no biggie--stuff happens. On my 2nd attempt to transfer service, the modem wouldn't work. Had a tech come out who basically told me my new house wasn't wired properly or something along those lines. When I asked the tech what I needed to do about it, he told me he wasn't sure. Great. Thanks for your help, I guess? On the 3rd attempt, customer service told me it wasn't my house that was causing issue, but instead the modem I was using. When I transferred my service to the new address, I also agreed to an upgrade. Apparently, with the upgrade, a new modem was needed. This new information wasn't even CLOSE to what the tech told me, so I was confused...but it seemed a solution was in sight, so--as a calm and collected individual--I decided to look past the previous blunders. Surely there wouldn't be any more roadblocks! ...Wrong. So wrong. When I finally got the new modem in the mail (by the way...CL told me they'd be over-nighting the package to make up for my troubles; it came 7 days later), I excitedly hooked it up and breathed a sigh of relief that my internet woes were a thing of the past. It STILL didn't work. Just an Internet light flashing red and green. At this point, I'd tried to resolve the problem 4 separate times to no avail. I was losing patience, and quick. On the 5th attempt, I again called CL's customer service line and very respectfully explained to the rep what the issue was, as well as all the troubleshooting that had taken place prior to my making the current phone call. Folks...what an absolute NIGHTMARE this phone call was. Not only did I get transferred to FIVE different reps, but towards the end of the phone call, the reps were actually LAUGHING at me. Outright. Toying with me. Using me as a pawn to entertain the call center for the night. Pretending to be supervisors when I asked for one (and if he wasn't pretending, then that means a SUPERVISOR was laughing in my face). And let me tell you...I am a professional person. I wasn't swearing at them. I wasn't even YELLING at them! I just wanted my Internet on, you know? FINALLY I spoke with an individual who begrudgingly agreed to set up an appointment for the following day to have a tech come out to troubleshoot again (getting any of the previous 4 individuals to hook me up with an appointment was like pulling teeth with a toothpick). She told me the tech would be there between 7am and 8pm (Really?!) and finally ended the call. ARE YOU KIDDING ME, CENTURYLINK?!?! The tech that came the next day (you should've seen the shock on my face when the truck pulled up. There was no WAY I thought they actually booked the appointment for me) was incredibly nice and FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY got the Internet working. I wish I could remember his name so I could call and request he get a raise. He was the only redeeming part of this experience. All in all, I have never been so sickened by a company's lack of customer service and the disgusting way its call center employees (who are definitely remotely outsourced, which is terrible and cheap) treat paying customers. I'd advise anyone looking for Internet service to avoid CenturyLink at all costs. If you can't avoid them, proceed with caution. All the caution you have.

Dawn Dabney

October 4th, 2017

Our phone/internet went out 10 days ago. Hours on the phone with customer service have gotten us not one, but two appointments with a service technician. No one showed either time, and we still have no Service. Century Link has not contacted us once to reschedule a service appointment. We have to call after the window for the appointment has expired. If we had any other provider in this area, we would jump on it. Ten days. No service, in every form of the word.

Dawn Dabney

October 4th, 2017

Our phone/internet went out 10 days ago. Hours on the phone with customer service have gotten us not one, but two appointments with a service technician. No one showed either time, and we still have no Service. Century Link has not contacted us once to reschedule a service appointment. We have to call after the window for the appointment has expired. If we had any other provider in this atea, we would jump on it. Ten days. No service, in every form of the word.

Dave Shetler

September 19th, 2017 Newfolden, MN

Absolutely HORRIBLE company. We signed up when they were still Quest on a guaranteed Lifetime, fixed rate of $24.00 per mo. for Unlimited Long Distance phone service. They honored that for 13 years, until Century link decided that greed superseded honesty and integrity. They increased our bill by 50% without notice. We spent the net 5 days and over 10 hours on the phone to their Customer disservice trying to get an explanation......We finally gave up. It was a waste of time . We are done with them. DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF SIGNING UP FOR THEIR CRAPPY, INCOMPETENT SERVICE~! Not only that, they are like their other partners in crime' DirecTV. They promise you wonderful cheap service and wind up gouging you with every hidden and unaccounted charges they can hit you with! They also LIE to you about the quality and services they provide.

Debbie

September 6th, 2017 Loomis, CA

They lose their mail and don't post payment timely then charge late fees on top of late fees, refuse to reverse charges. Where is their mail going? Happens way too often. Received a notice of cancellation for .02 cents today. Really?

Zaure

August 31st, 2017 Kent, WA

High speed internet is more like the low speed. The deal of $50 per month turned out to be a rip off, and I ended up paying almost $70!!! $70 for the slowest internet in my life!... Also, couldn't update my account information because of the lack of a good customer service.

fay campbell

August 21st, 2017

No compassion and no empathy. Customer service has a limited amount of time in which to listen to your concerns. I pray for charter spec. To bring their business here.

Santana Gray

August 7th, 2017 OK

Wrongfully disconnected and no one could figure out problem. Would not make getting me reconnected a priority. Would of has to wait 10 days for technician.

SteveR

August 6th, 2017 Harker Heights, TX

On 21st October 2016 I lost internet speed dropping to 0.05M bps after many complaints I was told they could do nothing about this slow speed and hung up on me. Just wish there was another supply to this area. HOPELESS COMPANY. DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE ANY ALTERNATIVE.