CenturyLink Logo

CenturyLink

5.9

LAST UPDATED: May 13th, 2022

While the company started as a small family business in the 1930s, CenturyLink has eventually become a household name in the ISP industry.

CenturyLink has a history of acquiring other companies to increase its nationwide reach. These expansion efforts led CenturyLink to become the third largest telecommunications company in the United States. It serves all 50 states with its extensive fiber-optic internet networks and DSL service.

CenturyLink offers Price for Life plans that don't have a contract and boast download speeds as high as 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps). Customers can choose plans that have a data cap of 300 GB or plans with unlimited data.

Recently, CenturyLink has expanded even further to offer entertainment like Century Prism and DirecTV service. If you're interested in purchasing phone or TV service in addition to internet, you can bundle services to save money.

CenturyLink strives for great customer service to help each of its customers have a unique, positive experience.

View Customer CenturyLink Reviews

The Good

• Fast Speed Available
  • Contract-Free Price for Life Plans
  • No Overage Charges
  • 24/7 Technical Support

Fast Speed Available

CenturyLink offers a wide range of internet speeds for its customers. These speeds are specific to an exact location and vary depending on the area, but they are typically among the higher speeds in the industry. In some areas, customers can have a download speed of up to 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) in major cities with fiber-optic availability. This top possible speed is one of the fastest internet speeds available on the market, especially compared to the available speeds from other broadband providers.

Upload speeds range between 256 kbps and 5 Mbps. If you need a high-speed internet connection, check with CenturyLink customer service to see what is available in your zip code.

Contract-Free Price for Life Plans

Like most ISPs, CenturyLink offers packages based on speed. You can determine what works for you based on the devices you'll use and the number of people in your household.

If you sign up for internet service online, CenturyLink offers four plans that don't require a contract in most states. The rates for these plans won't rise if you keep the plan without making any changes (like an address change):

• 20–140 Mbps — $50 per month
  • Fiber Internet 1 Gbps (1,000 Mbps) — $55 per month

You probably won’t need a contract, because CenturyLink can typically offer its packages on a month-to-month basis. You don't need to worry about pricing increases, an early termination fee, or rate changes.

CenturyLink provides reliable internet for a home Wi-Fi network. The company also offers good internet security and backup services with its internet packages through Norton by Symantec.

Making payments each month for internet is easy to do through an online CenturyLink user account.

No Overage Charges

You may have to watch out for CenturyLink's data caps; it's something that a few CenturyLink customers complain about.

CenturyLink sets limits for how much of the internet its customers can use in any given month, which is 1 TB. This is a generous amount of data, so most customers won't surpass it. Internet service providers do this to try to control the available speeds for all of their customers and make sure the system functions properly, but it can be a drawback if you use up a lot of data.

CenturyLink customers who exceed their data limits will not be required to pay an overage charge. If you eat up too much data, you'll receive a notice. CenturyLink might slow your service down.

24/7 Technical Support

The company offers 24/7 technical support, which is very convenient. If a customer is not satisfied with the services they receive from CenturyLink, they are protected with a thirty-day, money-back guarantee.

Be aware that some customers complain of poor customer support. Reviewers note that phone communication with CenturyLink takes a long time, and technician visits are sometimes missed and rescheduled. This is a frequent complaint in the ISP industry. Test out your commununication with a customer service rep through your preferred method of contact to get an idea of the average wait time and quality of response.

The Bad

• Variable Speed Availability
  • Variable Price for Life Availability
  • Additional Fees
  • Customer Complaints

Variable Speed Availability

Not all of CenturyLink’s plan options and speeds may be available in your area. Fiber is typically available in select urban locations.

It is easy to view plans that are available in your area on CenturyLink’s website. Rural areas are more likely to have access to DSL service and slower speeds.

Variable Price for Life Availability

The CenturyLink Price for Life guarantee isn't available in all 50 states. Check to see if CenturyLink allows a package with a Price for Life guarantee in your area.

Additional Fees

CenturyLink charges additional fees for the following:

• Modem rental — $10 per month or ~$150 one-time purchase
  • Installation — $125

The modem one-time purchase cost varies but is no higher than $150. Be sure to ask what the cost would be to you if you purchased it one-time versus paying an extra $10 monthly rental fee.

Some areas may have an option for self-installation, which is free.

If your plan with CenturyLink is based on a contract agreement, then you may be subject to an early termination fee if you end the contract early.

Customer Complaints

Customers complain about a variety of issues with CenturyLink, including poor customer service, connection issues, and connection speeds lower than their advertised plans. Be aware that most internet providers have similar complaints.

The Bottom Line

In recent years, CenturyLink has become one of the biggest broadband ISPs in the country. Its broadband internet service is available in all 50 states. But be warned: each specific address has different high-speed availability.

One perk of CenturyLink is that the service is month-to-month without a contract. This gives customers more flexibility.

Before signing up for CenturyLink, be sure to pay attention to additional fees — setup and equipment — and the offerings available in your area. As with any internet service provider, read the terms and conditions before signing up for service.

Overall, CenturyLink provides quality service with affordable prices. Potential customers should consider CenturyLink when choosing an internet provider.

Call our recommended rep over at CenturyLink below.

2.6

marveliss O'Fallon, MO

I ordered internet service with centurylink and waited for weeks, they NEVER gave me service but they had NO PROBLEM taken my money weeks prior. I was given 3 different dates, when the time gets close for them to come out they would move the date up again...how frustrating. I called EVERDAY for a week, all I got was, its pending. A Installation guy set up everything 2 weeks prior. I have no idea why they turned it off and they don't either. When they can't give me any information they hang up on me, very rude. A very professional Man name Roy is the ONLY ONE there that is Amazing. It's too bad he's wasting his time working at that mess of a place. They have treated me like trash, except Mr. Roy, Thank You So Much Mr. Roy you are truly appreciated Sir... Centurylink is a VERY PREJUDICE COMPANY. They NEVER gave me internet, kept making excuses and reissuing installation date. It's a shame to treat less unfortunate people that way...

MICHAEL S ROSS Sherman, TX

I used Century Link for 10 years for landline and internet service when I lived in Alabama. Their rates were competitive, and their service was excellent. Any problems were addressed immediately. Their internet division was very helpful when I encountered a glitch, and their customer care representatives were always very friendly and courteous, and well-equipped to offer solutions to issues. Unfortunately, Century Link doesn't provide service to my area of Texas. Otherwise, I'd use them for my internet service today.

Yvonne Mosley Fayetteville, NC

Great staff who provide excellent customer service. But the Internet Service (Fiber Wiring) is very unreliable in my newly built home. The service has gone out at least 2-3 times per month. A technician has to come out to fix it. It is very disrupting to my business and lifestyle.

James Parsons Birmingham, AL

Decent service but disconnecting my service when I moved was painful. Customer service is terrible. They speak broken English and really of no help. Calling them is a waste, but you can't call anyone else. 2 months after disconnecting the drafted my bank account 98.33. Called and they said they would refund, but I doubt they do. I supposedly has a 40 dollar credit when I cancelled, but that didn't come either. Stay away from this company

Wais ROOSE Chandler, AZ

I used their internet service for 4 years and had to cancel my account due to moving to a new place. Afterwords, I called them to ask if I owed anything on my account and they said no. One year later radius global solutions a debt collector send me a letter stating I owed X amount. I called CenturyLink again and once again they said no, I dont owe anything. After speaking with them 4 times finally they told me I owed an X amount which they did not contact me or have received any mail to know about it. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. They screwed my credit and I will not recommend CenturyLink to anyone. Please safe yourself the headache from these cons

Yooper Colorado Colorado Springs, CO

I have not had CenturyLink for several years now but when I did use them for internet and phone service they made promises that they never intended to keep and when I called them on it they told me it was a mix up. They would promise a deal that would give me ten dollars off my monthly service while increasing my speed but every month I would have to call them to either turn the speed back on or take off the ten dollars. Every month they would increase my bill by ten dollars and decrease my speed, every month.

KW Seattle, WA

When we moved into our new home, we were told that our only option for internet service was CenturyLink, so we signed up for it. I'm working from home, so fast, reliable internet is a MUST. Sadly, CenturyLink did NOT deliver fast or reliable... and it took them FOREVER to even get our service up and going. Luckily, I still had my super fast Cox internet available at our old house for the TWO WEEKS it took them to figure out why our CenturyLink service wasn't working. They just kept saying it was the wiring in our home... except it's a brand new home with brand new wiring. Try again, CenturyLink. A neighbor posted in our Facebook group photos of the CenturyLink box at the back of our neighborhood... ALL OF THE GUTS OF IT WERE HANGING OUT ON THE GROUND!!! The infrastructure in our neighborhood needs totally redone, but CenturyLink refuses to do anything about it. I was falling farther and farther behind on my work with CenturyLink, so I started looking for other options. Thankfully... Luckily... I came across internet service offered by a cell phone company. I switched to it and haven't looked back. My new service is amazing. CenturyLink tried to scare me into keeping their worthless service, but I didn't fall for it. They even offered me a free month of service to keep it. No thanks.

Chad Edgar Wentzville, MO

CenturyLink is best internet the name speaks for itself and it works really well even during storms and no buffering internet speeds always fast I'm blessed to have CenturyLink as my providers

Jackie B Omaha, NE

we have been with century link for well over 20 years. In the last few months, their service has been terrible. I have been leasing their modem and have had the same one for at least 12 years. When I asked for anew one, they acted like I was asking for the Hope diamond or Willy Wonka golden ticket. After a good hour of passing from one department to another, they finally agreed to send me a new modem. Much to my disappointment, they sent me a refurbished modem. I connected it and set up all my wireless devices, only to find it disconnects multiple times each hour. I have already made contact with a new carrier and plan to switch next week.

Jacqui Bopp Bedford, PA

It's the best service I've had in my area ever... I live in the cut so I mean I've seen better service but it's just the area I'm in not century link ..as a provider they have been way more helpful and attentive then my previous provider , who just dropped their coverage of my entire area without warning anyone. They even charged us for the router after just dropping with no notice. Very very glad to have switched to century link

JimS. Cathedral City, CA

I had CenturyLink for DSL service when I lived in Seattle, and they were “OK“. The cost was good, and it was fast enough for what I needed at the time. When I tried to sell my house, I disconnected my service for one month. When my temporary arrangement changed and I had to move back into it, they refused to restore my service unless I paid installation charges and a higher rate because they were switching to fiber instead copper facilities in my neighborhood. My service had only been disconnected for three weeks, but they refused to budge. I told them if they didn’t reconnect the same service over the same facilities that I had used for several years, I would not be using them. They didn’t care. I didn't re-install with them. The service was OK, but just like Comcast, their customer retention attitudes are deplorable.

RONALD WHITE Phoenix, AZ

We have been with CenturyLink for well over 7 years now. We have never experienced the problems that some of our neighbors have had with the competitor internet company (which has been having many problems with slow internet service or no internet service). We are on their Price for Life program so we never see any price increases and have minimal connectivity problems...maybe reboot the router once a month or less. Internet speed has never been a problem even with streaming TV and 2 kids and my wife battling for bandwidth. I am extremely pleased with CenturyLink and I promote them as often as I can on NextDoor or Facebook neighborhood sites. Kudos to CenturyLink.

Troy Breshears Springfield, MO

I would give zero stars if possible! I signed up for service with Century Link in January for an install the first of February, I got a call saying the installer ad Covid and that they would have to reschedule for the 11th, while not happy with the idea I understood. Fast forward to today (the 11th) and the installer arrive at my house this morning and proceeded to inform me that he could not install my internet because the company had not came out and buried a line to my house, Needless to say, I'm furious! I then get a call from a supervisor with the company to inform me that they scheduled the line to my house to ran on the 9th but the installer was sick and that it will not be April 4th before they can get to me!!! April freaking 4th!!A two month delay because a guy was sick? Unbelievable! This is the most poorly ran company I have ever dealt with and will NEVER use their product! Please avoid them, they are an absolute disaster!

Don Abletes Las Vegas, NV

I had a confirmed appointment to get my internet setup on 1/25 between 8am-5pm. Waited all day for the technician to come. Nobody showed up, no call and no text. Called customer service around 6pm and i was told that they still have until 7:15pm to complete the order. Again no one showed up, no call, and no text. I called this morning to find out what's going and I was told that the update that they got was that no one was home. The technician lied. My whole family works from home. Now the earliest appointment they can give me is Friday 1/28. I'm supposed going out of town by then. So now I will have to rearrange my schedule to accommodate theirs when it's supposed to be the other way around. If I just don't need a backup internet service since we work from home I would have just stick with my Cox internet service.

Danny Beamer Esmont, VA

Century link offers phone service and internet service in our area. They are the only internet provider we have unless we use cell phone service providers. Their internet is maxed out at 10 mbps download and that i sonly when noon else is using it. If there are three people using the internet then it drops down to 3mbps

JJ Jenkins Glendale, AZ

CenturyLink offers great startup promotions for new customers and low monthly rates for bundles service of internet and tv channels. They have prompt customer service when you need help.

Rachel Pletke Osseo, MN

We have had Century Link for almost 3 years. There was a little trouble and some waiting time to get hooked up initially, but since we have had service we have had no problems at all. Internet service is strong and reliable.

Moses F. Chandler, AZ

I give my highest recommendation for Centry Link, regarding their Great price & service. We don't worry about interruptions. And our family enjoy a high level of Quality service. We have enjoyed the service for over 3 years.

Autumn Lewiston, ID

I am currently a CenturyLink customer. I like that you are not on a contract and can pay month to month and use your own modem to lower monthly costs. I also like that CenturyLink is the leader in fiber-optic internet in my area. This means faster, reliable internet service for me!

Dale Berridge Rio Rancho, NM

Living in a limited internet options area it can be a challenge to find a good service provider. Century Link has been a great choice. No contract to bind us in case our circumstances would change, no data cap to limit what we can and can't use it for, which is great in a five person home, and enough mps to run everything we need it for without any interruptions. I was skeptical about having to downgrade to dsl from the cable internet we were used to in our old area but CenturyLink has really come through.

terry r Las Vegas, NV

I have had this company several times over the years and I have always ended up coming back to them. Great company with good customer services. You should always get the 2 year contract and try to get a renewal when the contract expires.

Ryan Pleasant Grove, UT

Century Link was a life saver. In a world full of over over priced internet providers (I am taking about you Comcast!), Century Link provided cheap internet that fit all my needs. All I wanted was internet fast enough for streaming services like YouTube and Netflix at an affordable price. Century Link delivered. I pay less than $30 a month and have no problems streaming shows. The downside to Century Link is that you need a DSL Connection (phone line) in your house. You do not need to pay a phone bill but you do need the connection in your house. Thankfully the apartment my wife and I are in has one. I know friends of mine who pay $50-$70 for the same internet speed I get with Century Link. And I do not need to buy some stupid tv package. Why would I pay for cable tv when there is Netflix. You can't go wrong with Century Link!

djstarr Tucson, AZ

what started out as a good thing ended up in collections. when i discontinued the service no one sent me any paperwork saying owed, that was until a collection company called wanting their money. I am currently fighting it since I was unaware of any bill and century links lack of communication

Carol Ross Warsaw, IN

Great service in our area . We live out of cities limits and if something goes wrong they are there within a few minutes.

Andrea DiOrio Columbus, OH

I have been with this company for 45 years and have never experienced such poor customer service in all of those years. My phone has been dead for at least a month. And this happens to be the 3rd time in 6 months. After an hour of waiting on the phone for someone to pick up, the customer service rep informed me that a technician wouldn't be out until January 22nd. Today happens to be January 10th. So I'm supposed to pay for a service that I'm not being provided? Bad bad business. Century Link may be connected to phone lines and not cable lines but what good is that if the phone is dead every other month? What's going on here???

RLuff Tucson, AZ

Low monthly payment for internet. Easy to get customer service. They come out for service fairly quickly. The problem is bandwidth is unreliable. You have to call often to demand to get what you pay for.

Chris Bright Tempe, AZ

I had never had a problem with service, and the customer service team members are very pleasant to deal with. Unfortunately I have moved this service 3 times and they really suck at handling move service requests. At least I finally bought a house so I won't need to do that again for a while.

Jennifer Dunlap Kingston, WA

My phone services at CenturyLink are great but my internet services are terrible. I am supposed to be high speed internet, but the internet is so slow that I can't even stream netflix let alone download things quickly. I live in a rural community and where my house is located does impact it some, but it goes out quite often, sometimes for a few days and it is very frustrating.

Aubrey Roseburg, OR

I used century link for years and I never had any major issues with it. The internet speed is fast for the price you pay, and they're pretty good at getting back to you if you do have any issues.

Austin Tempe, AZ

I have had ups and downs with CenturyLink. They are slow to get service started usually from my experience, other providers can typically turn on same day. However I also had some connection and speed issues with CenturyLink. I will say it is heavily dependent on the area you live in. Be sure to ask around and see what your neighbors, family, and friends use in your area.

Jonathan Heng CA

I use it for mostly streaming and some gaming. It doesn’t really go out on me. Definitely not as much as Cox did anyway. I never have to call them to find out what’s going on when it does go out because I just have to reset it once and it’s fine after.

Cynthia Landing Forest City, IL

Years ago I used this service which they were the first company to offered service in the community where I lived the phone and internet packages they put together were different levels making it affordable for all

Beth Dunn Tallassee, AL

We switched to Centurylink after our bill more than tripled with the other company we were with. We were able to get a great price for internet set for life as long as we were at our current address.

Los Aurora, CO

Since having their services i haven't had any internet issues. I joined when they had the promotion of pay once simple price. My service fee is fixed and its what i like about this company. So many people have bad experiences with this company. You pay for get. People want flawless internet connections and speed for 20.00. Like I said, you pay for what you get.

R. Coon

We have used both Century Link and Comcast for several years each, sometimes at the same time. We use internet service for our voip phone (various voip providers - Ooma at this time - but Voipo was really good too). Both had a tendancy to offer a low (reasonable) price (<$50) to get you in, then later start slipping in fees and charges or just raising rates. I would just wait for a good offer from the competitor and switch companies to keep the price down. I requested the cheapest / slowest plan CenturyLink offered and it seems to meet our needs most of the time. Occassionally I notice slowing during high usage time (like 4-7 right after people get off work), but rarely does it cause problems. When things are working as they should we can watch Netflix without a problem. I just tested internet speed on several test sites around 3:30pm and our download speed is around 7.5mbps and upload is 0.7mbps. We have had issues with latency a few times that showed up in our voip phone not working even though internet worked ok. Since we use different providers for internet and voip service there is a tendancy for one to point fingers at the other. Voipo was really great about testing our connetion and giving me hard data to give to our internet service providers to "help" them identify the problem on their end. Ultimately CenturyLink repalced the line to our house and did some line switching up on the pole which solved our problem. CenturyLink finally offered to lock our price in for life with a "loyal customer" discount. so we are $10/mo lower than normal cost on their most basic service. Although CenturyLink has stepped up when needed, it did take Voipo to tell them they had the problem. My mother-in-law also has CenturyLink and has had practically zero internet usability for months. She calls occassionally to complain but isn't persistant enough. That looks bad on them because her son tells her its because CenturyLink is no good and they need to switch to Comcast. I think CenturyLink and Comcast are similar in customer service, either one you must be persistant and patient to fix problems. CenturyLink is currently the winner for me because they offered to lock in my price. Frankly I can't justify more than $450/yr for internet service - I consider internet service a luxury item and could live without the voip phone since we have cellphones. I have better things to do with my money. I give a guarded thumbs-up to CenturyLink for (eventually) rewarding customer loyalty.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

CenturyLink offers fast speeds at ridiculously low prices. What's more is you can lock it in for longer spans of time so your billing is stable, They are courteous and their technical help staff are amazing. While a complex problem can arise, they are well trained to fix issues and get you back on your way with minimal disruption. Can't ask for better.

Roger Dee Creswell, OR

I beg to differ with Vartan gregarian . If you think CenturyLink is the worst try HughsNet. After that you will LOVE, Love, Love CenturyLink. I Just switched over and though I cannot get highspeed in my area it is the first rural provider that has offered consistent speed at a decent price. I have to admit that I have not had it long so maybe haven't had the experience to know better but after HughsNet I have to give CenturyLink a 5

Ian Johnson Rio Rancho, NM

I LOVE that they offer 1G internet in my area and it is the same price as other competitors standard speeds (100-150Mbps). I am able to get much better internet for the same price? That's an easy choice. The only thing I don't really care for is that the service isn't always reliable. Overall, I have no issues connecting to the internet and getting decent download and upload speeds, but, more often than not, I am only pulling a fraction of what I should be. For example, on a normal day, I pull around 300Mbps Download. It's not bad, but it's definitely not nearly as good as it should be. I would still highly recommend them, though. No other provider can beat them in my area.

Dan Czarnecki Saint Paul, MN

In the particular location of my apartment I've lived in for half a year now, we have only 2 choices for ISPs: CenturyLink and Comcast/Xfinity. Before I got into my apartment, I briefly stayed with some friends at their place, which had CenturyLink Internet and Prism TV. Overall, I was very pleased with both of those services, so I thought why not go with them for my Internet (plus, I already had a phone jack in a convenient place in my apartment so that made the choice of going with them even better). Didn't need Prism or traditional cable TV since I don't watch too much live TV other than sports. So because of that, I have PlayStation Vue for my TV service, and I pay only $35/month for that. For the time I've had my service with CenturyLink, it has been problem free for me. The speeds I have are the fastest ones I can get in my area, that being 40 Mbps down/5 Mbps up. Wish the upload speed could be faster, but at least it's faster upload speeds than with the 20, 12, and 7 down services (all of which are a pathetic 896 Kbps up). For uploading photos it's plenty fast, but when uploading longer videos, the slower speed is definitely evident. Nothing too unbearable though. If anything, it's nice knowing that I have fairly decent speeds without the worry of having to deal with slower speeds during peak hours that users of cable Internet have to deal with. That right there is one of the many reasons I'm happy I went with CenturyLink over Xfinity as I'm sure a good majority of the tenants in my building have Xfinity for their Internet as opposed to CenturyLink. My speeds are very sufficient for my usual YouTube and Netflix streaming, and it works great with my PlayStation Vue TV service as well. As you will see in my attached image, my speeds are actually a little faster than advertised, clocking in at 45.12 Mbps for the download and 5.12 Mbps for the upload. Speed tests that I run every now and then on speedtest.net and other sites clock in a little below what my modem configuration page shows because I of course use WiFi (with an AirPort Extreme), but they're still very respectable at 42+ Mbps down and just below 5 Mbps up with anywhere from 18-20ms in terms of my ping. In the grand scheme of things, CenturyLink is great, but only if you can get their 40 down/5 up service or their gigabit fiber service if available in your area. Unfortunately, in my parts it's only available in Minneapolis and its surrounding suburbs at this time, and plans for it to extend east over to St. Paul is currently unknown. Not a huge deal though, since I am very happy with my service I'm getting.

karen devries CA

CenturyLink is the only provider available for our apartment complex. Service and support are terrible! They still use a model of requiring a customer to be home for an entire day with zero notification about when a technician may be available to install WiFi. The first time a tech was scheduled, no one called or showed up. The second time, there was no notification to specify an arrival time window. I would definitely choose a more reliable service provider if the option was available.

upnorthwi Bellevue, WA

Worst service possible and very expensive. The truth is, you can only get so much out of a landline as far as internet service. I was getting a average of 1.5 Mbps for a very expensive price. They had no intention of ever upgrading my local service, so I no longer use them for internet service, just too slow. Customer service was simply awful as well.

Pamalita Denver, CO

I was a customer of CenturyLink and I do suggest to future residents that they can use the service of CenturyLink as our rentals are wired for there service.

Megum Povsha Bozeman, MT

The service is reliable and the price is better than Xfinity. There was a little disconnect on installation day but overall the set up service was good.

Michael Surber Memphis, TN

Have had problems with their internet around the Williford area a lot when I lived there. It would freeze up every once in awhile and you would have to reboot your whole modem.

Jason Doran Layton, UT

Signed up for their service at a new address. Did not have the jack in my house to plug in the equipment. It took 8 calls before I was able to contact someone simply just to have a technician come out. They attempted to upsell me even though I did not have the ability to plug in the equipment. I thought I already asked for the fastest speed so I listened and agreed to faster service to which he replied faster speeds are not available in my area, I told him I need a technician still and he hung up. Called again the next day and finally they told me that they can't send a technician because they don't service my area! My wife and I work from home and I told them before we signed up it was very important the internet work before we moved in. I cancelled the service and returned the equipment and was told I would not be charged since I never received the service. Still received a bill 2 weeks later even though I was told i would not be charged. Called again, they said no ignore the notice. Once again a month later received a bill they said ignore the notice the service was cancelled. Few months later I receive ANOTHER notice saying we owe them, called again to which they told me the service was not cancelled, spent an hour on the phone until I finally got ahold of a supervisor who closed out the bill and told me everything was resolved. NOW I received collections notice on my credit report for a SERVICE I NEVER RECEIVED! I could go on all day about how horrendous their customer service was and go into more detail but I will save you the headache and heartache and tell you under no circumstances should you ever consider Centurylink an internet option. If you are comparing and shopping, you should automatically assume Centurylink is NOT a real company. Their entire team is incompetent and you are better off with a cell phone hotspot than this sorry excuse for a company.

T K Salt Lake City, UT

Horrible customer service! I want to transfer my landline and Internet service to a different address just one block from my old address. Yesterday I was on hold 22 minutes to ask how to do this. Am not satisfied with answers, so I tried CenturyLink chat today. I don't believe the person was real. She kept asking about my Smartphone, and I kept saying I have a landline. Finally got a message saying I must pay $1, which will be refunded, if I want to chat. I canceled instead. Have been a CenturyLink customer for 50 years. How can a company go downhill this much? Am going to investigate Comcast since its cable service is already in my new condo.

joe boo Chicago, IL

Customer service is horrible and the hold time is ridiculous! If there was another internet provider that wasn’t satellite internet. I’d be gone!! Since my router went out a month ago. I’ve spent over 10 hours on hold trying to get this resolved. Then when I finally got through the fist time. I was disconnected. Called back multiple times. Finally got through again amd couldn’t understand the lady and when I asked to be transferred to someone who speaks better English. She argued with me about how good her English was. Then I had to start the hold process over again. So if I could offer an advice. It would be. If you can advising them. Do so because they’re over priced and have horrible customer service

Mike Brandt Stillwater, MN

Lost internet 09-27-2021 . I did the texting outage to them for 3 nights, and never got a response. 4th night I went to chat. I was 30th in line. Finally got to chat with Stephanie B. After being on hold, for 40 minutes and chatting with her for 10 minutes, over 50 minutes have been wasted. And she disconnects me !!! Now its Friday. I call in and talk to Julie !! 30 minutes of the run around talking to her, she says, "hold a minute please" and after waiting 5 minutes for her to come back she hangs up on me !!! Saturday night, I call again and get a different lady. She preforms their test and say, "yes , the problem is in our line" (which i knew because this is a common problem with "their Lines") That only took another 25 minutes. Now 6 days have gone by. No internet , which means no security system, no VOIP phone, no 911 no TV shows. She says the soonest we can get a repairman to check this out is Wednesday October 6 , 2021. 10 days have gone by and I still don't have internet. and I have once again spent 105 minutes trying to get Centurylink to fix their outdated JUNK system. Last time this happened, I spent 2.5 hours talking to them. Do you think they will credit my account? Customer Service is a joke. I believe their goal is going out of their way to piss off their customers.... Mike B.

steven rhodes Killeen, TX

Do you want internet? Do you want good customer service? Don't use CenturyLink. I've been having internet issues for weeks. The internet just dies and every device reports "connected, no internet". I have to reboot the modem every time this happens to get my internet back. When I view the modem admin page DSL1 shows "poor" for connection and there are tons of retrains and other errors. I tried to explain this to them on one of my 6 or 7 calls to them and finally got them to send someone out TWO WEEKS LATER. The day finally arrives and I sit on the patio and work from there so I don't miss them....all of a sudden I get a text that the ticket is closed...I call them to be told (well lied to) that the tech came and found no issues. No one came..that was a lie. This is how much they care about their customers. If you have any other option. Satellite..hell dial up would be better than this. I honestly don't know how they get away with it. I guess you can treat people like this when you're a monopoly.

Mark Lehnhardt Seattle, WA

Worst experience ever tying to just start service. Went to the main link to purchase/schedule an install (easy), tech comes in and tells me they don't do apartments (huh?), he they writes his update/feedback and talks with a rep to say they will get it fixed and send the correct tech tomorrow (I have a century link modem/router already in the apartment that is fixed from the apartment). I then call customer support the next morning to confirm if I can activate the current modem/router and was informed I should wait for the tech to come in today. 1 hour later, I get an email that says my account was cancelled 😡 . Called into customer support and was told I didn't go through the correct portal (where was any of this told to me in the last 3 interactions), then told it would be more expensive, doesn't qualify for the promo as an apartment, and then also told that there is nothing more that can be done to help remedy my experience. So went with Wave G, I was at least helped and got it taken care of in 10min and I'm not required to pay $15 /mont for their "better" modem/router. We all know thats a lie. All in all go with someone else if you think you will need any real customer service help, as they just do not train well and just don't care if they have you as a customer or not.