CenturyLink

CenturyLink

What started as a small family business in the 1930s has eventually become a household name in the internet service industry. Throughout their history, CenturyLink has continually acquired other companies and businesses in order to better serve their current and future customers. These expansion efforts have lead them to become the third largest telecommunications company in the United States. They serve 50 states with their extensive fiber optic networks. Recently, CenturyLink has expanded even further to offer entertainment services like Century Prism and Direct TV. Their great customer service helps each of their customers have a unique, positive experience.

The Good

• Fast service speed
  • Pay for speed not a package
  • 24/7 technical support

Service Speed

CenturyLink offers a wide range of internet speeds for their customers. These speeds are very specific to an exact location and vary depending on the area. Even though general available speeds are not given, customers can know that their speed could be as fast as 1 Gbps. That top possible speed is extremely fast, especially compared to the available speeds from other internet service providers. Customers who need very fast speed would benefit greatly from checking with a CenturyLink customer service agent to see what is available in their area.

Pay for what you Use

CenturyLink offers their services to customers in a unique way, customers pay for what they receive. The majority of these companies explain that speeds do vary based on the exact location, but still offer packages. CenturyLink stands out among the industry for the way they offer services to their customers.

Technical Support

Some other beneficial features of CenturyLink's business procedures make them a good choice for internet service. They offer 24/7 technical support to all of their customers which is very convenient. If a customer is not satisfied with the services they receive from CenturyLink they are protected with a 30 day money back guarantee.

The Bad

• Contract required
  • Possible data limits

Contract Required

One negative aspect of CenturyLink's services is the need for a contract. They require every customer to sign a one year contract in order to get the service hooked up. A contract requires customers to pay for their service for that allotted amount of time. If the customer needs to end their service, they will have to pay an exit fee to cancel that contract. While there are internet service providers who do require contracts, most companies in this industry do not require contracts from their customers.

Possible Data Limits

Unfortunately for CenturyLink customers, they also may have to watch out for data caps set up by the company. This means that CenturyLink has set limits for how much of the internet their customers can use in any given month. Internet service providers do this to try to control the available speeds for all of their customers and make sure the system functions properly, but it can be a drawback for customers. CenturyLink customers who exceed their data limits will not be required to pay an overage charge. When a customer goes over their limit, they will receive a notice and then depending on the health of the overall network different actions will be taken.

The Bottom Line

In recent years, CenturyLink has become one of the biggest internet service providers in the country. Their internet service is available in all 50 states. They do not offer general packages and prices. Each specific address has different availability and so customers will be charged for by their location, not for the general package price. Customers will have to deal with a one year contract and possible data caps. These two aspects of their service can be big turn-offs for customers because many other companies do not require either of these things. Overall, CenturyLink provides quality service with affordable prices. Potential customers should consider CenturyLink for their internet service needs.

39 CenturyLink Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

September 19th, 2017 Newfolden, MN

Absolutely HORRIBLE company. We signed up when they were still Quest on a guaranteed Lifetime, fixed rate of $24.00 per mo. for Unlimited Long Distance phone service. They honored that for 13 years, until Century link decided that greed superseded honesty and integrity. They increased our bill by 50% without notice. We spent the net 5 days and over 10 hours on the phone to their Customer disservice trying to get an explanation......We finally gave up. It was a waste of time . We are done with them. DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF SIGNING UP FOR THEIR CRAPPY, INCOMPETENT SERVICE~! Not only that, they are like their other partners in crime' DirecTV. They promise you wonderful cheap service and wind up gouging you with every hidden and unaccounted charges they can hit you with! They also LIE to you about the quality and services they provide.

August 21st, 2017

No compassion and no empathy. Customer service has a limited amount of time in which to listen to your concerns. I pray for charter spec. To bring their business here.

August 7th, 2017 OK

Wrongfully disconnected and no one could figure out problem. Would not make getting me reconnected a priority. Would of has to wait 10 days for technician.

August 6th, 2017 Harker Heights, TX

On 21st October 2016 I lost internet speed dropping to 0.05M bps after many complaints I was told they could do nothing about this slow speed and hung up on me. Just wish there was another supply to this area. HOPELESS COMPANY. DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE ANY ALTERNATIVE.

July 27th, 2017 Jefferson City, MO

CenturyLink installed a new phone line 6/19/2017 but did not bury it. Tried calling and email 5 times but the only response I received is that a supervisor would call--never happened. The line remains on the ground with grass growing tall for the past 1-1/2 months since I cannot mow it without cutting the line.

July 25th, 2017 Morenci, AZ

Worst internet service. Made me bound to enroll in auto pay and every month they are ripping me off $134 instead of 39.99 which was planned and agreed in my connection setup letter. I am tried of speaking with them. Customer service is like people talking form jungle. Do not want to understand and admit their side of fault. If you want to lose every month 100 bucks with getting poor service then be with them. Period

July 17th, 2017

I signed up for Centurylink Simple in February. For the last 4 months, I've had to call because my internet was off for one reason or anther despite being on autopay with more than sufficient funds available.

July 7th, 2017 Colorado Springs, CO

We pay for 7mbps and usually get 5mbps while we are paying 40$/month when we were told to be paying more like 15$/month.

July 2nd, 2017 Spicer, MN

Horrible service!!! Bad customer support!!

2 0

June 14th, 2017 Columbia City, IN

good luck trying to use their website to pay your bill, or good luck calling customer service to try to get any relevant done to your account such as changing accounts. Its an absolute joke.

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Century Link has been reliable internet for me. After my 12-month promotional pricing ended my price increased almost double and I called and they gave me a new even better price. I feel like I never have problems with their service. Customer service is a pain to call. You have to go through so many automated voice menus to actually talk to a real person. That is my only complaint.

0 1

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

CenturyLink is awful internet, I would only use it as a last resort. They are super cheap, but from my experience, the internet is super slow and drops a lot. Their customer service is not helpful and seemingly always in a bad mood. I happily left them for better service.

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I absolutely hate CenturyLink. Every month I had some kind of issue with my bill and would have to wait on the line for forever. Their internet was so bad, I had to call all the time to try and figure out what was wrong with it. It was extremely frustrating. I was so glad when I moved to a place that had better options than just CenturyLink.

June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

When we had CenturyLink, our internet was always slow and down half the time. They gave really great initial prices, and they skyrocketed the price on really crappy service. I would not recommend anyone use them.

June 6th, 2017

I have been with centurylink for about two years and their Internet services is sub-par. Yesterday I was in middle of my school quiz and all of the Internet went. It came back 30 mins after the test. These MFs want me to pay them. Please do not make that mistake but their service suck.

June 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Century link has definitely been one of the better internet providers that I have experienced. They aren't the best though. Luckily you can find them anywhere and the prices are about as good as any other place.

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

We had a service man come and fix our internet line. He was great and helped to get our internet running a little faster. However, he said that we would never get the fast internet speeds in our area, because CenturyLink will not put the money out to do that. He basically said if we want fast internet then we should get Comcast.

May 31st, 2017 Draper, UT

Century Link promised me a lot before I signed up, but the service just didn't measure up. The internet speed was mediocre at best and it was very difficult to make payments online through Century Link's online portal. The company was somewhat difficult to deal with as well. Would not recommend.

May 29th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Even though the Internet is cheap, it is very slow.

May 28th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Haven't been super impressed or unimpressed by their internet when I've hopped on.