As the fifth-largest consumer bank and eighth-largest bank overall in the nation, Capital One offers banking services with a focus on helping consumers find financial success with credit cards.

Capital One offers credit cards for all credit levels, making it one of the most popular choices in the industry — no matter if you have bad credit or excellent credit, there are options for you.

Backed by positive customer reviews, getting a credit card with Capital One is a great option for whatever your financial need may be.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and verified Capital One reviews from real customers.

#2 American Express (Amex) chevron_right
#3 Discover chevron_right

The Good

• Variety of Cards
  • Cards for Bad Credit
  • Rewards
  • 0% APR Credit Cards
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Check
  • Fraud Safeguards

Variety of Cards

Capital One offers 19 different types of cards, allowing you to choose the best credit card based on your credit score, rate and fee preferences, and different rewards offerings.

Capital One seeks to provide a credit card option for every consumer. Those who are looking to rebuild credit can apply for a secured credit card, an offering that is not available with every credit card company. Those with excellent credit can choose from various cash back cards, or pick a rewards credit card, offering points or miles on airlines, hotels, or other travel expenses. Capital One also offers store credit cards for those with excellent credit scores.

Each credit card listed on Capital One's website lists the purchase rate, transfer information, annual fee, and credit level required for approval, making it easy to see at a glance what options might be best for you.

Cards for Bad Credit

Capital One offers a secured credit card for consumers with bad credit, or those trying to rebuild credit.

Secured cards require a security deposit, which becomes your credit limit. Capital One requires a deposit of $49, $99, or $200 for an initial credit line of $200. This secured card is unique in that the security deposit is refundable, and the customer will be automatically considered for a higher credit line after six months. The card does not have an annual fee, but the APR rate is relatively high, at least compared to regular credit cards, at 26.99 percent variable APR.

Rewards

For the majority of their cards, excluding secured cards used for building credit, Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders.

Rewards vary based on each card. It is important to note that some cards do not allow rewards, including cash back, on all purchases. Some cards, such as the Savor® Rewards and SavorOne® Rewards cards only offer cashback on dining and entertainment. It is important to read all details provided to choose the rewards card that will best fit your needs.

0% APR Credit Cards

Capital One offers credit cards with a 0% intro APR, which is not necessarily unique to this card issuer. For those with excellent credit, they can apply for a card that will not require interest rate payment for the first 12–15 months.

Consumers with poor to fair credit will not be approved for cards with a 0% APR offering, and can generally expect higher rates.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently. Instead, foreign purchases will be automatically converted at the foreign exchange rate at the time of payment processing.

Free Credit Score Check

Through CreditWise® by Capital One, customers can access and view their credit history at no additional cost, and with no ramifications to their credit score.
It is important to note that CreditWise uses a different credit scoring model than the commonly used FICO score model. Both models are based on similar key factors that lenders look at when considering you for a credit offer.

Fraud Safeguards

Customer security is Capital One's top priority. To protect a customer's credit card information, as well as bank account and debit card information, Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards. Its associates are required to complete security training, and there are systems and protections put in place to protect a customer's personal information, such as their social security number.

If your card is lost or stolen, Capital One has listed phone numbers that you can call for immediate assistance. Upon contacting Capital One, your identity will be verified before account information is discussed or shared.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers credit cards with no annual fees, but there are various cards that have a required fee. Annual fees range from $39–$95, which is significantly lower that other card issuers, such as American Express that has some cards with an annual fee of $250.

However, the higher the annual fee, the bigger the rewards that can be offered on that credit card.

Late Payment Penalties

Capital One charges a fee for late payments, which varies depending on the card.

The Bottom Line

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs, competitive APRs, and fraud safeguards. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place.

Brennan

February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Capital One credit card. The rewards are the best I have seen and they are easy to redeem. The website is so easy to use managing your card couldn't be easier. If you are looking for a credit card you owe it to yourself to look into Capital One.

Shannon

February 10th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer service and security features are great. The app is very user friendly and using points on whatever your like without an expiration is my favorite feature.

Brody B

February 7th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best card we have with the best benefits. All around it is a great choice for anyone needing a credit card. Enrollment is easy and their customer portal is awesome. Check them out!

Nathan P.

February 6th, 2019 Minneapolis, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

By far the best mobile app and online experience I've used compared to 5 other providers. user experience was intuitive, the buttons were easy to press, and they used normal language rather than industry-specific lingo for their products and processes.

Ann Bailey

February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The card itself is great, but I feel like their customer service is lacking. I have called multiple times and I feel like their friendliness while on the phone is lacking.

Lindsey B

February 6th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had a Capital One credit card for many years and have kept it for a reason. The rewards are great compared to other cards and the customer service is always more than helpful! I would recommend Capital One to anyone.

Madison

February 5th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the App to this card, I was late but they saw it was my first time so the reversed the late fee. I wish I had more perks or rewards for this card.

McKinzie Figueroa

February 5th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My favorite thing about my Capital One account is how easy their app is to use. You can do basically anything that you would need to from your app. If you are not big on using apps, the customer service is great when you call in. They are all very well trained and try their best to help.

Cindy Bailey

February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They just switched me over there and so far I like the warnings and alerts. Easy to navigate app

August Moulton

February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT

Capital One has an impressive product and I love their rewards program. Customer service has been helpful with every situation.

Emma Olson

February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had a capital one credit car for almost a year and I haven’t had any problems. The app is easy to manage and makes it easy to keep up with payments. I would recommend capital one credit cards to everyone.

Stacy

February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT

Interest rates are a joke so if you rack up a balance it takes forever to pay it down due to interest. Definitely need to pay it off monthly

Keri Christensen

February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One has been a great credit card. When I forgot about a payment they emailed me a reminder instead of automatically charging me a late fee.

Alex Nee

February 2nd, 2019 Centerville, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Aside from one mistake I made, they've been very good. They get back to me fast and have been providing a solid service. Would be nice if some online features didn't lag and were a bit easier to understand... But overall the card has been very good.

nathan brewer

February 1st, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was upset when I learned my Cabelas credit card was switching to Capital One, but after using it for the last couple of months I have found it to be very easy to use the card and the website.

Tanner Cook

December 15th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital one offered me a credit card when I was rebuilding my credit. They’ve been easy to work with to raise my credit limit - and the last time I spoke with client services, they informed me I had a free upgrade on my card available. I didn’t even have to ask! I love my capital one card.

Jorden Laird

December 11th, 2018 Front Royal, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

one of the first cards I got after my bankruptcy - high interest rates but thats to be expected. helping me rebuild credit

Darius Williams

December 10th, 2018 Alexandria, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

i have had capital one for the past 4 years. great customer support when i need to call in

Mia Hernandez

December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

capital one was my 1st credit card and to be honest i love it its helped me alot and my monthly payments are manageable i would recommend this as a first time user credit card

Dee Farquharson

December 6th, 2018 Washington, DC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are my second credit card company but DEFINITELY MY FAVORITE! Making payments is soeasy, the app is easy to use and make payments. Also, they increased my limit just from making payments on time. My other credit card doesnt have as high an interest rate with a higher limit, but its not a big deal .just an observation

edward reese

December 5th, 2018 Hyattsville, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

capitol one has a lot of cards with multiple perks but my particular card doesnt provide any additional limit increases and wont switch out the card.

Shawn

December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We like our capital one credit card. It seems to pay back good rates and simple statements to use and see what’s happened during the month. They are always good at protecting our security if there’s ever an issue or something suspicious on our account.

jessica

December 4th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really like Capitol One they have great customer service and the do not charge an annual fee which I appreciate. I would highly recommend them.

Jobie Goodro

November 29th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had a little problem when we went abroad using this card. But better to have to right security than too lax I guess.

Al Soto

November 20th, 2018 Candler, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Venture Card - great for travel. Highly recommended.

Eric

November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Just got my first card through Cap1 and I have not used it yet. I am using it to build credit and got a good rate from them. Signing up for the card was very easy and I was approved darn near instantly. They recommended I download the app as well that does a ton of great stuff to make your credit card experience better.

Rischelle Mikkelson

November 16th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really like Capital One. Their mobile app is so easy to use, they have a great fraud detection program. They have quickly caught fraud 3 times. Two times they caught it right when the charge happened and denied the charge. The other, they caught it after 2 transactions and the reversal of charges was so easy and fast. I also like the additional protection on car rentals.

Kathie Bowman

November 15th, 2018 Lakeside, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a capital one credit card and opened to start building credit. Their customer service is great. I have the app on my phone which makes it very easy to track. I had an experience of fraud on my card and was immediately notified about it. I called them and the lady I talked to was very nice and helped me take care of everything and made sure I was satisfied

Garn L. Arnold

November 9th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love my Capital One card. I have a very low interest rate but I pay my card of each month anyway. I get flight miles that can be used on any airline. Customer Service is great waving fees when they didn't have to. And their online site is great and easy. Highly recommended.

Lydia Arnold

November 9th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We've had Capital One for as long as I can remember. We pay it off every month but earn points when we make our purchases. When I've needed help from customer services, they've always been great to work with.

Mitch Krull

November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Quick approval process. Awesome app. Overall would recommend them for a credit card.

Adam B

November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT

Opened a business credit card, they gave us a great credit limit and made it easy to add additional users.

Mary

October 31st, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One was one of my first credit cards. They were very easy to deal with and offer great rewards.

Dylan Curtis

October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been a cardholder with them for several years and have enjoyed the convenience and knowing that I have something in case of emergency. It's come in handy a couple of times, and I'm grateful for it.

Irene Anders

October 27th, 2018 Folsom, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love our Capital One Quicksilver cards. We get cash back on all purchases without having to do anything. When we had fradulent charges on the card they were quick to handle the problem and remove the charges from our account.

Chris Patton

October 26th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are ignorant. I have an 825 plus credit score. The only money I owe is on one mortgage. They turned me down for a credit card. I wrote them and they acted like drones.

Olivia Cheff

October 24th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have the Venture card, and it is well worth the rewards! I have had to dispute charges before, but they have excellent customer service and helped me sort everything out.

Karen Anderson

October 17th, 2018 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently got a capital one credit card. I am so very impressed with the interaction I have had with them. They were quick to answer a question that I had about activating my card.

Sally Lee

October 16th, 2018 Santa Ana, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have the Capital One Venture credit card and I haven't had any issues with them. One time, my credit card was used fraudulently and they were quick to update my via text. All I had to do was reply saying that it wasn't authorized by me. The only thing I wish they had was a way for me to complete the fraud report online or on the mobile app. I had to call them to get that completed, although I didn't have to wait long.

bad2

October 14th, 2018 Watertown, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

difficult to get a human when ou need one. Web Site also not helpful. And yet they spam me all the time to tell me how helpful they are!

Tevita

September 26th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy to apply for and opened with a good credit line. I like how they increase my credit line automatically since I am good standing customer.

Tori Miller

September 24th, 2018 Draper, UT

We have had a credit card with Capital one for many years and love how easy it is to use their online and automated phone services. It is so easy and accessible to make a payment or check your transactions. The interest rate isn't the best, but we like how you accumulate points and can buy things with those points.

Shari Evers

September 15th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I really like getting rewarded for using a credit card. We have athletes in the house that require us to go out of town. With tour Capitol One card we are able to use it towards travel and earn rewards for future travel. Love it!

Celia

September 13th, 2018 Waipahu, HI

Got this card as a starter card, its ok if you have no credits or so so credits. I still have it but my got my daughter as an authorize user so she uses it more since she's in college.

Bryon Walters

September 1st, 2018 Beaver Dam, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had my credit card shut off because Capital One didn't send me the monthly bill. I pay my balance every month, credit limit is 3 times the amount owed and I called immediately when I received the July and August bill on the same day and told customer service about the issue and that a check would be sent the same day. They still shut the card down so I had no credit card over the Labor day weekend. Less than impressed I would never treat one of my customers in such a manner.

Shanna

August 31st, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital one is great if you are needing to build credit. I currently have a card through Capital one. When I lost my card a few weeks back they were very helpful in getting me a new card.

Derek Scoville

August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been searching for a credit card that offers great rewards other than skymiles. Capital One gave me the limit I was requesting and gives me a high cash back %.

Robin

August 29th, 2018 Orem, UT

the easiest online application. within a week i received my card in the mail. i had a family emergency and need to go out of town. to my surprise i was approved for a credit increase. the monthly payments are decent, fits in my budget. customer service is wonderful.

Lisa

August 28th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

I love Capital One for my credit card company. I love the cell phone app, the ease of use and I love the feature that it alerts you of every purchase immediately. This feature makes it simple to keep track of.

Thomas Hullinger

August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit One has so many options in credit cards. I have been able to personalize them and get the rewards program that I want. I also like their rates.