Founded in 1994 in Richmond, Virginia, Capital One offers a number of financial services, including credit cards, banking services, loans, and investments.

#2 American Express (Amex) chevron_right
#3 Discover chevron_right

The Good

• Rewards
  • APRs
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score
  • Fraud Safeguards

Rewards

Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders. For example, the company offers the Quicksilver card, which gives members every tenth Uber ride for free, and the Venture card, which gives members two miles per dollar on all purchases.

APRs

For some of its cards, Capital One offers introductory APRs of 0 percent for the first nine to twelve months.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently.

Free Credit Score

Capital One provides its customers with the ability to view and monitor their FICO score at no additional cost.

Fraud Safeguards

Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards, including putting its associates through security training, putting social security number protections in place, and providing secure electronic funds transfers.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers a few cards that charge an annual fee of $0. However, this rate might only apply to the first year of the card, after which customers can expect a climb in annual rates.

Late Payment Penalties

Capital One charges a fee for late payments, which can vary depending on the card.

The Bottom Line

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs, competitive APRs, and fraud safeguards. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place.

Jobie Goodro

November 30th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had a little problem when we went abroad using this card. But better to have to right security than too lax I guess.

Al Soto

November 26th, 2018 Candler, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Venture Card - great for travel. Highly recommended.

Eric

November 19th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Just got my first card through Cap1 and I have not used it yet. I am using it to build credit and got a good rate from them. Signing up for the card was very easy and I was approved darn near instantly. They recommended I download the app as well that does a ton of great stuff to make your credit card experience better.

Kathie Bowman

November 16th, 2018 Lakeside, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a capital one credit card and opened to start building credit. Their customer service is great. I have the app on my phone which makes it very easy to track. I had an experience of fraud on my card and was immediately notified about it. I called them and the lady I talked to was very nice and helped me take care of everything and made sure I was satisfied

Rischelle Mikkelson

November 16th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really like Capital One. Their mobile app is so easy to use, they have a great fraud detection program. They have quickly caught fraud 3 times. Two times they caught it right when the charge happened and denied the charge. The other, they caught it after 2 transactions and the reversal of charges was so easy and fast. I also like the additional protection on car rentals.

Garn L. Arnold

November 12th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love my Capital One card. I have a very low interest rate but I pay my card of each month anyway. I get flight miles that can be used on any airline. Customer Service is great waving fees when they didn't have to. And their online site is great and easy. Highly recommended.

Lydia Arnold

November 9th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We've had Capital One for as long as I can remember. We pay it off every month but earn points when we make our purchases. When I've needed help from customer services, they've always been great to work with.

Adam B

November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT

Opened a business credit card, they gave us a great credit limit and made it easy to add additional users.

Mitch Krull

November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Quick approval process. Awesome app. Overall would recommend them for a credit card.

Mary

October 31st, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One was one of my first credit cards. They were very easy to deal with and offer great rewards.

Dylan Curtis

October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been a cardholder with them for several years and have enjoyed the convenience and knowing that I have something in case of emergency. It's come in handy a couple of times, and I'm grateful for it.

Irene Anders

October 29th, 2018 Folsom, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love our Capital One Quicksilver cards. We get cash back on all purchases without having to do anything. When we had fradulent charges on the card they were quick to handle the problem and remove the charges from our account.

Chris Patton

October 26th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are ignorant. I have an 825 plus credit score. The only money I owe is on one mortgage. They turned me down for a credit card. I wrote them and they acted like drones.

Olivia Cheff

October 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have the Venture card, and it is well worth the rewards! I have had to dispute charges before, but they have excellent customer service and helped me sort everything out.

Sally Lee

October 17th, 2018 Santa Ana, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have the Capital One Venture credit card and I haven't had any issues with them. One time, my credit card was used fraudulently and they were quick to update my via text. All I had to do was reply saying that it wasn't authorized by me. The only thing I wish they had was a way for me to complete the fraud report online or on the mobile app. I had to call them to get that completed, although I didn't have to wait long.

Karen Anderson

October 17th, 2018 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently got a capital one credit card. I am so very impressed with the interaction I have had with them. They were quick to answer a question that I had about activating my card.

bad2

October 15th, 2018 Watertown, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

difficult to get a human when ou need one. Web Site also not helpful. And yet they spam me all the time to tell me how helpful they are!

Tevita

September 27th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy to apply for and opened with a good credit line. I like how they increase my credit line automatically since I am good standing customer.

Tori Miller

September 25th, 2018 Draper, UT

We have had a credit card with Capital one for many years and love how easy it is to use their online and automated phone services. It is so easy and accessible to make a payment or check your transactions. The interest rate isn't the best, but we like how you accumulate points and can buy things with those points.

Shari Evers

September 18th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I really like getting rewarded for using a credit card. We have athletes in the house that require us to go out of town. With tour Capitol One card we are able to use it towards travel and earn rewards for future travel. Love it!

Celia

September 13th, 2018 Waipahu, HI

Got this card as a starter card, its ok if you have no credits or so so credits. I still have it but my got my daughter as an authorize user so she uses it more since she's in college.

Bryon Walters

September 4th, 2018 Beaver Dam, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had my credit card shut off because Capital One didn't send me the monthly bill. I pay my balance every month, credit limit is 3 times the amount owed and I called immediately when I received the July and August bill on the same day and told customer service about the issue and that a check would be sent the same day. They still shut the card down so I had no credit card over the Labor day weekend. Less than impressed I would never treat one of my customers in such a manner.

Shanna

August 31st, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital one is great if you are needing to build credit. I currently have a card through Capital one. When I lost my card a few weeks back they were very helpful in getting me a new card.

Derek Scoville

August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been searching for a credit card that offers great rewards other than skymiles. Capital One gave me the limit I was requesting and gives me a high cash back %.

Robin

August 29th, 2018 Orem, UT

the easiest online application. within a week i received my card in the mail. i had a family emergency and need to go out of town. to my surprise i was approved for a credit increase. the monthly payments are decent, fits in my budget. customer service is wonderful.

Lisa

August 29th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

I love Capital One for my credit card company. I love the cell phone app, the ease of use and I love the feature that it alerts you of every purchase immediately. This feature makes it simple to keep track of.

Thomas Hullinger

August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit One has so many options in credit cards. I have been able to personalize them and get the rewards program that I want. I also like their rates.

Mali

August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

Easy Approval and Credit Limit Increase. i have a lot of credit cards and this by far is the best because i am not getting numerous telemarketing calls from them. They send me everything through email, even my statements. They send me a reminder of when my next billing cycle is due. When i had a question they were helpful and kind.

Tilda

August 27th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Always been good from their rates to customer service.

Jr

August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

easy and fast approval. credit limit increase came at the perfect time. customer service always kind and helpful. monthly payments were affordable.

tini mapu

August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

This was the first company to approve me for a credit card. My credit wasn't that great and they still approved me. They help build credit and they even helped me get back into shape when I missed some payments. They are so good to their customers.

Dave Brinton

August 27th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good terms and special offers. I appreciate the cash advance rate and terms.

Aiga

August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

easy, fast approval and you get your card within less than 10 days. Interest rate is high. Payments are affordable. Customer service is nice depending on the agent you get. Easy to make payment arrangements. Statements were readable.

NT

August 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

fast easy application, got my card within a few, easy activation, customer service was good, didn't have to wait long on the line to speak to a represenatative. credit limit when i needed it was very quick to do.

Kristin G

August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have enjoyed my credit card through capital one because of the points I receive for free travel. It adds up fast!

Kim Millett

August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

This is the greatest card! (We have the Venture card). We earn roughly $1500 of travel per year using this card. It helps to pay for our yearly cruise. I love just having one card so that I can easily keep track of expenses and payments. We have never had a problem with this company. We have now had the card 3 years.

Troy Millett

August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

I have had a Venture credit card for the last few years. I love it! I love the double miles reward on every purchase. I don't like the $60 annual fee, but since I probably earn close to $1500 a year in points, I cannot complain too much. I use this card for everything.

Carolynn

August 20th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

We have never had a problem with them. Customer service is always helpful when I had to call in. Their mobile app is very convenient and easy to use.

Lesa Burgess

August 20th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If you want to travel more, this is the credit card to own. I feel really safe owning this cards. If you own a Capital One card, it will help you look for any travel that may have been charged so that you receive the proper credit. One of the best decisions I made was getting a Capital One Card... 5 STARS!

Nathan Johnson

August 6th, 2018 Palmyra, PA

Spent hours online and on phone trying to add my spouse to checking account to no avail. I found it frustrating that such a simple, reasonable request couldn't be handled.

Sarah

August 2nd, 2018 Fairfax, VA

I really like their credit card and they make it very easy to link your credit card account to your bank accounts for easy payments and such. They have a good cash back/rewards benefit.

Jenny whipple

July 31st, 2018 Mesa, AZ

Our capital one card is convenient to use in many locations.

Katherine Smith

July 27th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Love our capital one. Love the cash rewards.

Taylor Vance

July 26th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I like their online banking platform. Intuitive and sleek.

Chris Alonzo

July 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great card to have for emergencies although customer service could improve. They call times are always long and they are quick to resolve your problem but are not very patient if you have more than one issue.

Ruth Anne Bright

July 25th, 2018 Mount Washington, KY

Good card however can be difficult to resolve issues. Customer service tries very hard to limit issue to one call resolutions.

James Nelson

July 23rd, 2018 Falls Church, VA

I have always been impressed with the individual attention given to the customers. They have gone above and beyond to ensure that my needs are met to my satisfaction. In addition, there are no hidden fees that I have ever stumbled upon--staff seem very transparent and deliver excellent service.

Tanner Hales

July 19th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Security on cards is good. However, customer service is NOT great. Sometimes it takes forever for my payment to process on their end, even after they have pulled the money from my checking account. Very difficult to get my credit limit increased, and I have never missed a payment.

Rob Whipple

July 16th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

Website is easy to use. Sometimes have to wait to get through to customer service on the phone.

Spencer Hodgson

July 16th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Never had a problem with my credit card. They also give you credit wise for free so you can check your credit as much as you want and not damage it.