As the fifth-largest consumer bank and eighth-largest bank overall in the nation, Capital One offers banking services with a focus on helping consumers find financial success with credit cards.

Capital One offers credit cards for all credit levels, making it one of the most popular choices in the industry — no matter if you have bad credit or excellent credit, there are options for you.

Backed by positive customer reviews, getting a credit card with Capital One is a great option for whatever your financial need may be.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and verified Capital One reviews from real customers.

#2 American Express (Amex) chevron_right
#3 Discover chevron_right

The Good

• Variety of Cards
  • Cards for Bad Credit
  • Rewards
  • 0% APR Credit Cards
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Check
  • Fraud Safeguards

Variety of Cards

Capital One offers 19 different types of cards, allowing you to choose the best credit card based on your credit score, rate and fee preferences, and different rewards offerings.

Capital One seeks to provide a credit card option for every consumer. Those who are looking to rebuild credit can apply for a secured credit card, an offering that is not available with every credit card company. Those with excellent credit can choose from various cash back cards, or pick a rewards credit card, offering points or miles on airlines, hotels, or other travel expenses. Capital One also offers store credit cards for those with excellent credit scores.

Each credit card listed on Capital One's website lists the purchase rate, transfer information, annual fee, and credit level required for approval, making it easy to see at a glance what options might be best for you.

Cards for Bad Credit

Capital One offers a secured credit card for consumers with bad credit, or those trying to rebuild credit.

Secured cards require a security deposit, which becomes your credit limit. Capital One requires a deposit of $49, $99, or $200 for an initial credit line of $200. This secured card is unique in that the security deposit is refundable, and the customer will be automatically considered for a higher credit line after six months. The card does not have an annual fee, but the APR rate is relatively high, at least compared to regular credit cards, at 26.99 percent variable APR.

Rewards

For the majority of their cards, excluding secured cards used for building credit, Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders.

Rewards vary based on each card. It is important to note that some cards do not allow rewards, including cash back, on all purchases. Some cards, such as the Savor® Rewards and SavorOne® Rewards cards only offer cashback on dining and entertainment. It is important to read all details provided to choose the rewards card that will best fit your needs.

0% APR Credit Cards

Capital One offers credit cards with a 0% intro APR, which is not necessarily unique to this card issuer. For those with excellent credit, they can apply for a card that will not require interest rate payment for the first 12–15 months.

Consumers with poor to fair credit will not be approved for cards with a 0% APR offering, and can generally expect higher rates.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently. Instead, foreign purchases will be automatically converted at the foreign exchange rate at the time of payment processing.

Free Credit Score Check

Through CreditWise® by Capital One, customers can access and view their credit history at no additional cost, and with no ramifications to their credit score.
It is important to note that CreditWise uses a different credit scoring model than the commonly used FICO score model. Both models are based on similar key factors that lenders look at when considering you for a credit offer.

Fraud Safeguards

Customer security is Capital One's top priority. To protect a customer's credit card information, as well as bank account and debit card information, Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards. Its associates are required to complete security training, and there are systems and protections put in place to protect a customer's personal information, such as their social security number.

If your card is lost or stolen, Capital One has listed phone numbers that you can call for immediate assistance. Upon contacting Capital One, your identity will be verified before account information is discussed or shared.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers credit cards with no annual fees, but there are various cards that have a required fee. Annual fees range from $39–$95, which is significantly lower that other card issuers, such as American Express that has some cards with an annual fee of $250.

However, the higher the annual fee, the bigger the rewards that can be offered on that credit card.

Late Payment Penalties

Capital One charges a fee for late payments, which varies depending on the card.

The Bottom Line

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs, competitive APRs, and fraud safeguards. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place.

Teresa Wehunt

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent , great customer service, rewards for use. Love this card. Always trust my Capital One card

ben spears

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Charges a fee of $49.00 per year, refuses to waive the fee. I've been with capital one for many years. I decided to cancel due to the fee.

Brodrick Jones

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Outstanding I was approved and card sent right away . The customer service on the phone is great. You are helped very quick and the person on the phone knows there job. Thank you very much for helping me get back on track .

Robert Harper

Outstanding Great benefits. Best card ever. Highly recommended

Leonard J Hinman Jr

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are Professional and friendly. also ansers my questions.

charles motes

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ease of application and credit line increases i highly recommend this card

Laurel

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer Service when you call always sent to another country and information is not as secure over there annoying. And they make you repeat everything because they do no understand you

Mary Calloway

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had the business card for a long time, over 10 years but the interest rate has never declined even though I pay more than the min. This makes it difficult to pay the card off as I have had business decline for the past 5 years.

Anna

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

very good customer service department always willing to help you out

Billy Fuller

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Helpful and understanding Reporting to the credit bureau Ontario helping your credit score I've had a couple issues were I wouldn't able to make payment they were able to waive those issues for me very thankful for capital one

Andrew Flaugher

March 16th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Mr. flaugher to high of % on card and they will not come down and all ways on time for 40 monts

Rathan Kumar

March 12th, 2020 Trabuco Canyon, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Recently applied for a capital one card for international travel. Process was seamless and very easy. Plus benefits for travel insurance and renting cars is a must for travel.

Joseph Little

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent company and easy to navigate on website. Excellent customer service.

Joann Scott

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I was unable to pay my full minimum payments due, they worked out a payment plan for me to help me get back on track.

Jo Anne

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had several charges many times that were not made by me. They resolved the issue.

Jeff Schwart

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service when needed, they have your back, the card we use has 2% cash back and we like that very much.

Jerry

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Super expensive, small limits on withdrawal, and no credit increase.

Jeffrey Allen

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

excellent customer service, easy to use app, great follw up with concerns

Janice Tezack

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They do not judge you and your credit score. They are very helpful and give you chances when other companies won't

Janice

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was a loyal customer and I made a purchase online and reported to capital one of my purchases and how I didn't want the online company to do any other purchases on my account I gave capital one my confirmation number that I was given from the merchant. I was afraid it would happen that's why I provide the information to stop any transactions.But they refused to listen to me I have no reason to lie but long story short I no longer do business with that card I was a loyal customer for over 25 Years and they chose not to believe me.And chose to take my business some where Else.

James Strassburg

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Even with moderate credit I got a card with reasonable interest rates

James Quarles

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One is incredibly quick to intercept fraudulent charges and work with the cardholder to void the ttansaction. Moreover, the rewards program is generous and the interest rate charged for purchases, while seemingly high, is competitive. A very professional comsumer credit bank.credit

Heather Asher

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They accepted me when I had no credit and needed to start credit.

Don Chambers

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Pro-active credit reporting, nice rebate, no international exchange fees, 2 factor authentication

Darren Cardwell

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are extremely customer friendly as they take great care with customer service issues and all aspects of their user services.

Connie dutil

March 10th, 2020

I made a payment I got the confirmation number and they came back to get another payment I know I've got bad credit because of them they don't want to work with you

Claudia

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent service. Quick in response if they detect a fraudulent use. Easy website and online banking

CHARLES W. FROST

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

excellent professional, lenient, helpful, better loan rates

Chad

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I make a payment I have instant access. They do not just raise your limit to raise it and their ap is very user freindly.

Fabbian Lopes

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

excellent they always explain what I spend and how much was.

Allison Minnick

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The comapny is amazing, they work with you and they are kind

Trish Greathouse

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am a current customer. I dislike the way they figure finance charges, it makes no sense. You pay the card down to 45.00 and you are still paying the following month on over 120.00 of charges. Yet your bill for the month was only 45.00??

Marilyn Hollingsworth

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Cannot pay off. They charge interest by the day. You make a payoff payment and they charge interest until they post it. Then, you pay THAT off and they charge AGAIN!

Puddn Pie

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It was a good company until I could not remember my password. Then I was treated ike a criminal had to send my drivers license and still I coul dnot access my account. I finaly went to a branch and c;losed my accounts.

rene merino

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent treatment and best experience easy to manage on line

Rita Gearhart

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hated them. We tried to cancel the ADT because the monthly fees were ridiculous. They. I tuned to add on interest and fees even after we paid the payoff amount they gave us. It took months to get away from that mess.

Nana in WISCONSIN

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great! Easy to use and pretty much most businesses use.

Nancy A DeNault

Very good. Love Capitol 1. They work with you on payments

Norm Risoya

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent service. easy to deal with. great app

Matthew Haine

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Decent company. Account security could be better and the interest rate lower. And they could do a better job of following up promptly on questionable purchases.

Mary Perry

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had great experience with this company. Customer Service is awesome!

Lewis Larson

March 10th, 2020

User friendly online banking. Very responsive if I have to call on phone.

Lauren

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Overcharged without contacting me, I opened the card and never used it and then received a bill for over two hundred dollars.

Krystal Shannon

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hard to work with, will not raise your credit limit no matter how good your credit is

Kristi LAXTON

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love them. Great customer service and they work with me on lowering my interest rate.e.

Josh

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Honest, just pay attention to detail. The company is up front not trying to trick you into debt. Good rewards when used correctly

Joe Martino

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent customer service and prompt feedback excellent fraud alert

Keron Grey

March 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Cap card so much, I get a notification of EVERY purchase and I love being able to track that.

Brandy

March 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is once of my favorite credit card companies. Payments are very fast, no more than 2 business days to process (but has always taken 1 business day to process for me unless I played the payment after 3 pm) but great customer service, and they accept people with below-average credit, which gives individuals the change with not so good credit scores to get a better score. My only complaint is that they usually start you off with a lower credit limit, which can be annoying but I'm guessing they do that because they provide most people with below avereage credit a chance

Jasmin Ortega

March 9th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One is a very trust bank to be apart of. I got my first credit card from capital one and i think it is great. It alerts me when I have to pay, it alerts me when I have made a purchase and is very easy going about increasing line credit and credit scores have never been easier to track.