Bank of America Logo

Bank of America

7.3

Bank of America, founded in San Francisco in 1998, is one of the world’s leading financial institutions, offering a variety of banking solutions to individuals and businesses.

In addition to traditional banking services, the bank offers a variety of different credit cards. Offering a variety of rewards cards, and other credit card products, including a student credit card and secured credit card option, consumers can find the card that best fits their needs.

Continue reading for a full review of Bank of America credit cards, as well as reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Variety of Credit Cards
  • Co-branded Rewards Cards
  • Secured Credit Card Options
  • Student Credit Card Options
  • Benefits for Existing Bank of America Customers
  • Preferred Rewards Program
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Variety of Credit Cards

In addition to its traditional banking services, Bank of America offers a variety of credit cards. You don’t need to be an existing Bank of America customer to qualify for a credit card, but there are some additional benefits, such as preferred rewards, that are available to those who already bank with the institution.

Bank of America offers both company-branded and co-branded rewards cards, allowing you to earn points or cash back on purchases. In addition, Bank of America offers a secured credit card, as well as a variety of student credit cards.

search

Highlight: Bank of America® Cash Rewards Card

One of Bank of America’s most popular cards, the Cash Rewards card offers 3% and 2% cash back in a category of your choice, and grocery stores/wholesale clubs on the first $2,500 each quarter. Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases. There is no annual fee, and you can earn $200 in online cash rewards for a limited time after making at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of opening your account.

Co-branded Rewards Cards

Bank of America offers a variety of co-branded credit cards, allowing you to gain rewards on specific purchases that can be used towards travel, for example. Bank of America offers co-branded options with the following companies:

• Alaska Airlines
  • Royal Caribbean International
  • Virgin Atlantic
  • Celebrity Cruises
  • Norwegian Cruise Line
  • Susan G. Komen (Breast Cancer Foundation)
  • Major League Baseball (MLB)

Secured Credit Card Options

If you are looking to build or rebuild credit, Bank of America offers two secured credit card options:

• Bank of America® Cash Rewards Secured
  • BankAmericard® Secured

Both cards offer a convenient way to build credit with no annual fee and a refundable security deposit of $300 to $4,900.

Many companies do not offer this added benefit to credit building. The Bank of America Cash Rewards Secured card offers 3% and 2% cash back in a category of your choice and at grocery stores/wholesale clubs on the first $2,500 each quarter; 1% cash back on all other purchases.

Student Credit Card Options

Bank of America offers three student credit card options:

• Bank of America® Cash Rewards for Students
  • BankAmericard® for Students
  • Bank of America® Travel Rewards for Students

Most other credit card companies only offer one student credit card option that generally has some sort of cash back reward.

Benefits for Existing Bank of America Customers

You do not need to be an existing Bank of America customer to apply for a credit card, but if you are an existing customer, some cards offer additional benefits for keeping all your accounts with the bank.

For example, the Bank of America® Premium Rewards® card allows Bank of America checking account or savings account holders to redeem cash back as a deposit into either type of account. In addition, existing Bank of America customers are eligible for Preferred Rewards, allowing you to earn 25 percent to 75 percent more points on purchases.

Preferred Rewards Program

Bank of America’s Preferred Rewards program is designed to give back to loyal bank customers, offering exclusive benefits. The program includes three tiers — Gold, Platinum, and Platinum Honors — allowing you access to certain rewards and savings.

To enroll in Preferred Rewards you must meet the following criteria:

• Have an active, eligible Bank of America checking account
  • Have a three-month combined average daily balance of $20,000+ in Bank of America deposit accounts and/or Merrill® investment accounts

If you meet these criteria you are welcome to enroll through online banking, but approval is not guaranteed.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

Available to all Bank of America credit card holders, you can check your FICO® score for free either online or through the Bank of America mobile app.

Through this service you can check your FICO score monthly with no impact to your credit score, see what factors are impacting your score, and receive tips for maintaining healthy credit with Better Money Habits.

Positive Customer Reviews

Bank of America reviews are currently limited, but the majority of these reviews give the company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews frequently mention excellent customer service and low interest rates.

On the other hand, negative reviews frequently mention high fees.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Foreign Transaction Fees

Annual Fees

Many Bank of America credit cards don’t charge an annual fee, but some cards do charge this fee:

• Bank of America® Premium Rewards® — $95 annual fee
  • Alaska Airlines Visa® — $75 annual fee
  • Free Spirit® Travel More World Elite Mastercard® — $0 introductory annual fee. After the first year, $79 annual fee.
  • Allegiant World Mastercard® — $59 annual fee
  • Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard® — $79 annual fee
  • Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard® — $89 annual fee
  • Sonesta World Mastercard® — $0 introductory annual fee. After the first year, $75 annual fee.
  • Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard® — $90 annual fee

It is important to note that rewards cards often charge this fee, and Bank of America’s annual fees are significantly low in comparison to other credit card issuers, such as American Express.

Foreign Transaction Fees

Many Bank of America credit cards don’t charge a foreign transaction fee, including its co-branded travel rewards cards, but some company-branded cards will charge this fee.

Bank of America’s foreign transaction fee is 3 percent U.S. dollar amount on each purchase made in a foreign currency or on transactions made/processed outside of the United States.

The Bottom Line

Bank of America is a trusted financial institution both nationally and internationally, and serves a variety of needs through its personal banking products and services, as well as its array of 22 credit card options.

From generous cash back rewards to travel points, Bank of America has a credit card for everyone. It is an added bonus that the company offers a cash back rewards secured credit card option, as well as a travel rewards card for students, allowing more flexibility and benefits for those who are building credit.

Most credit cards do not charge an annual fee or foreign transaction fee, but for cards that do charge an annual fee, you might pay less than you would with other credit card issuers. Although, higher annual fees generally mean that there are more generous rewards involved.

Based on a currently limited number of Bank of America credit card reviews, the majority of customers award the company 4 or 5 stars, most frequently praising the company’s low interest rates and excellent customer service.

Call our recommended rep over at Bank of America below.

3.9

Jeff Gonnason Kihei, HI

I have four credit cards with Bank of America, and I find them difficult to work with in many situations. They are unable to resolve the difference between personal and business accounts, And the representatives do not return phone calls or follow up as expected.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

Although I don't currently use my Bank of America card because I am retired and only need my debit card (tied to my credit union account) and my Amazon card now, I would still recommend using Bank of America as good credit card to use. I always handled transactions via mail or phone but I never had any problems and they were always pleasant and helpful when I needed their help.

Brianna S Tallahassee, FL

I have been with Bank of America since I received my first debit card, which has been for almost 6 years. I have never had any issues with money going missing and whenever I had to dispute a charge, their customer service was very helpful and efficient!

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

I have used Bank of America for the past 20 years. This has been the bank for all my business transactions. I find the bank personnel very helpful in setting up accounts and changing the people in our company who can sign checks and do other transactions. Their bank statements are easy to read and reflect accurate data in a minimal amount of space.. On those rare occasions. when a credit card payment has been denied, it has been very easy to contact someone via. phone who can help. me solve the problem. Overall I find this bank to be very helpful to myself and our business.

Landon Badoni Montgomery, TX

I just use Bank of America for a single account, but they do a good job of communicating changes in account activity and making sure to remind me of any payments on cards that I may not be tracking on.

Jared Provo, UT

I've been with Bank of America for years! They have great customer service and are very accommodating. I've settled disputes with them, and they have gone out of their way to help me when I've needed it.

Steve Knight Salt Lake City, UT

I've had a credit card through Bank of America for some time now. Although I haven't had much interaction with the company other than through their website, I find it easy to use.

Dalyn Bellingham Monument, CO

Great one-stop shop for financial needs. Their rewards tier systems are great as they give you credit card rewards bonuses among other perks for keeping a high balance in your other accounts. Online platform could be improved though. Customer service is great as a platinum rewards member.

Varduhi Rockville, MD

have been with the company for ages, reliable partner

Chris Milke Olney, MD

I only use my debit card occasionally as a credit card since I mainly use it for ATM transactions only. That said, BofA customer service has been great and I enjoy using the bank. ATM fees could be less for out of network.

Lizzie Billings West Valley City, UT

I love that they have no annual fees for their credit cards and they have no foreign transaction fees. This is what I used when traveling in Europe and it was great.

James Knight Tremonton, UT

We appreciate the relationship we have with Bank of America. The customer service has helped us avoid fraudulent charges a number of times. They are always on top of issues and call us when things don’t look on the up and up.

George

The type of credit card I got from Bank of America was a secured credit card meaning that I had to put a deposit before being granted the card. This type of technique and program works well in order to build credit history since the credit world Dynamics have changed to ridiculous situations over the years. When nobody else trusted me just because I had no credit history; Bank of America trusted in me.

Maureen Canelo Valdosta, GA

Bank of America has an extraordinary customer service department they are able to assist in a timely manner.

Kyle Johnson Portland, OR

I have used Bank of America for my Alaska Airlines credit card. Their app has been very easy to use and I've enjoyed my experience.

Sarah Fayetteville, AR

I love banking with Bank of America! I have used them for years, and have always been pleased with their customer service. Plus, their mobile banking app is super easy to use and very convenient.

Wayne Young Little Rock, AR

I have had a BOA credit card for years. Their service is reliable and their fraud protection is very good. They have caught a few suspect transactions, and they call immediately to let you know.

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

I've had my Bank of America card for years now and have always been happy with my service. I needed help with a fraudulent charge last week and they were so quick to jump in, reverse the charge for me, and get a new card sent out I highly recommend!

Patricia Miller Preston, ID

I have had a credit card with Bank of America for 17 years. The service is great and the staff is always available to help you. I wanted to make a large purchase in November but I did not have enough available credit left on my card and the woman at Bank of America made it work! She was wonderful.

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

My husband has a Bank of America credit card that he uses for his small business. He has been very happy with the terms and the customer service. He uses the card for gas and equipment purchases and pays it off each month to avoid interest charges.

Tiffany I Elkridge, MD

I’ve been a loyal customer with BOA since college. They’ve notified me of miscellaneous charges, rushed debit cards, and helped with any customer service request I’ve needed. The online system is super easy to use. I’ve never needed to switch banks.

Anthony Cashin

Boa charges $5 to replace worn out cards. They classify as "damaged". My point is I did not damage the card. It's too flimsy, and I am having to get a new one more than once a year. Should last until expiration. They called and explained and refunded my $5

JStel Grand Junction, CO

Never a problem with BOA credit card! If you are a single card user for most purchases...go no further. I've not once had an unresolved problem in many years of use! Customer service excellent and expedient, online access safe and convenient, and point building opportunities (with cash option) are excellent! Finally, security is of utmost importance to BOA...and they will go to bat for you when needed. Most times they catch problems before they ever occur!

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have had a Bank of America credit card and they stand apart from other credit cards in my rate being lower, lower fees, and some great options for rewards. I especially like the cash back program. I had a Bank of America credit card in the 1980's and it was good then and it is even better now with all of the safeguard options and online services.

Miller Clarksburg, MD

I have been a long time Bank of America customer. They take a lot of care to service their customers.

Mason Mitchell Fayetteville, AR

My favorite part of Bank of America is the mobile banking app. It makes keeping track of my accounts so easy. My least favorite part is every time I travel, they decline my card because they think it is stolen.

Shelly Wright

I got an interest free for 18 month's credit card. It seems to make it easier to pay it off faster. I have been banking with them for 10 years. They were the only credit card to give 18 months and no transfer fees.

Dominique Caballero

I have a good experience. There is one minor issue is that there customer service is not great. When I realize I made an early payment for my credit card, they did not like to waive the fee when I meant to make the payment on the next cycle.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Bank of America has one of my lowest interest rate credit cards. They offer simplified billing with online options to reduce paper billing. I get all the standard customer service but I also get sustained low rates. I can't be happier with any other card.

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

We use the Alaska Airlines bank of america card. I like the card itself. But I usually don't look forward to trying to get done anything on their website. It is a pretty poor user experience. However, the mileage plan is great and we build up miles so fast. We have gotten quite a few free flights. Great deal!

Robert Joros

Just a few issues. Alwaysmling lines at the actual bank itself. And if I transfer $$ from savings to checking to much I get charged. Other than that I really have no issues. The online banking app is easy to use and a good tool for tending to $$.

B-dog San Antonio, TX

I have 2 cards with BofA and have been with them for a long time. They screwed me over years ago by arbitrarily cutting my credit lines when the housing crisis was taking place. That left a sour taste in my mouth and I closed my checking account with them but kept the cards for now.

MattB Salt Lake City, UT

I have several different Bank of America credit cards and love that they are accepted everywhere, I'm able to earn rewards and when I've contacted customer service for questions/concerns they have been very responsive and helpful.

Syl North Port, FL

I’m a customer for Bank of America since 1994. This is by far the best bank I've ever deal with. Great customer support and the staff are very knowledgeable. Mobile apps are amazing and you can make deposits without going to the bank. I very happy with their customer service for all these years.

Carol Carter Evansville, IN

I’ve had difficult issues, but customer service has always been outstanding. I’ve had a couple possible fraud issues, but handled immediately. Was kept informed of updates and new cards issued. They have other benefits and special offers, I don’t always participate in.

Julie Kincaid Soldotna, AK

We have had a Bank of America credit card for 11 years. We like the rewards that are offered, and feel like the company has good communication. Their phone app works great and I like how easy it is to set up travel alerts. Their customer service has always been very good.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

I have the Bank of America cash rewards credit card. I like this card because I get to choose how I earn rewards. When I first opened the card they gave me $200 cash rewards after making at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 3 months. I had 2 weddings that summer so it was very helpful!!

Mary West Jordan, UT

Bank of America was my very first credit card. I had a really small limit as I hadn't developed any credit yet. It was a very good card and service for a first time card holder. I kept the card open for many years as it looked good for my credit history. I only canceled when they began charging for inactivity.

Karen Nelson Alpine, UT

I am alway losing credit cards. They are so great about it. They give me a temporary and the very next day, I have my new card. They are also very helpful and kind about helping check if there is any activity on my lost or stolen card.

Msdaisy70 Clarksburg, MD

Their fees are outrageous, especially during COVID. People are out of work and this bank is unforgiving when it comes to reimburse overdraft fees.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

Good company for credit cards for kids, we used these for grandkids first cards to build credit. Highly recommend them.

Mallory Evans Provo, UT

The staff was very helpful getting my credit card set up with the app. Bank of America is easy to work with and I would recommend it to anyone.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I had a Bank of America card for many years and it had a very high interest rate. The company itself was fine and I should have read the fine print. They were only charging me what the stated it would be. Keep looking and you can find much lower rates.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

I like my Bank of America credit card. I love the ease of reading the credit card statement. It makes it clear and easy to see where purchases were made and how much is due.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

My wife and I both have the gold reward credit card with Bank of America - we earn cash back on every purchase! No annual fees which is a huge plus for us.

Robert Washington, MI

Extremely slow to post your payments-it is now 35 days and although my balance is $1,200 they have reported $10,500 to the credit reporting firms. After contacting them I was told to be patient, certain things take time. Like how about doing your job correctly. Very nasty and snippy to talk to a customer rep said well maybe you just want to cancel your card? No problems it is done. They also refuse to process any charges for firearms and I would like to know how they can abrogate the 2nd Amendment and no I am not a gun nut but feel if you have been cleared and can qualify for a charge card they have no right to say no unless they are paying for the purchase! Tired of continual problems with their failure to post payments.

Susan Tabet Tehachapi, CA

Amber in customer service was amazing... knowledgeable, polite, patient, helpful. The best customer service representative I've ever worked with. You are lucky to have her.

Dylan Winchester, MA

If you like being tranfered from department to department when you need help on the phone this is the bank for u not only do they put u on hold 7/8 times you might talk to someone for 2 minutes and then u get switched to someone else where you have to reexplain your issues and yup you guessed it you get transferred agian. Ive been banking with them for 10 years i even went in to the bank of america tellers and had a sit down with a teller about the claim i disputed .. even both of us stayed on hold for more than 30 minutes until she told me ahe had no power over them .. and the customer service actually hung up on us . I wouldnt tell anyone to bank there over the amount of stress and frustation the bank gives you with hidden fees and horrible customer service

garet claborn

Bank of America charged an an NSF fee for their monthly maintenance fee (which is $12, bs -_- ) this in turn caused my account to go negative in January and they charged, again, a new overdraft fee for that. So I called them chewed them out and cancelled my account at the end of January. However the service rep did not cancel it. Fast forward to now, they retried payment multiple times and charged fees each time over the last few months. Finally, a client accidentally sent a contractor payment to my old account (the payment belonged to another contractor) which is how I found out the account was still open. Bank of America promised to repay my client after discussing the full situation. Three weeks of calls with their escalation dept. later and they recanted saying they wouldn't do it. Bank of America is a scammy company that bleeds people dry and makes their money off low-income families. They disgust me as most of these giant banks with no honor for their word aught to. Stick with a local credit union people. This bank can seem fine until you need their help in a real situation. They wont go the extra mile, or even the first mile they promised. They will absolutely not lift a finger unless required by law and even then their own policies take precedent because they can get away with breaking agreements as a large corporation. Screw them.

mccandless24 Kaysville, UT

I really enjoyed the cash back option from Bank of America. They give you a lot of options of places you can use the card and it helps count toward the amount of money you get back. I didn't feel limited and in fact there were so many options of places I already made purchases at.