Best Company Guarantee Bank of America Logo

Bank of America

6.4

LAST UPDATED: September 24th, 2022

Bank of America, founded in San Francisco in 1998, is one of the world’s leading financial institutions, offering a variety of banking solutions to individuals and businesses.

In addition to traditional banking services, the bank offers a variety of different credit cards. Offering a variety of rewards cards, and other credit card products, including a student credit card and secured credit card option, consumers can find the card that best fits their needs.

Continue reading for a full review of Bank of America credit cards, as well as reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Variety of Credit Cards
  • Co-branded Rewards Cards
  • Secured Credit Card Options
  • Student Credit Card Options
  • Benefits for Existing Bank of America Customers
  • Preferred Rewards Program
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Variety of Credit Cards

In addition to its traditional banking services, Bank of America offers a variety of credit cards. You don’t need to be an existing Bank of America customer to qualify for a credit card, but there are some additional benefits, such as preferred rewards, that are available to those who already bank with the institution.

Bank of America offers both company-branded and co-branded rewards cards, allowing you to earn points or cash back on purchases. In addition, Bank of America offers a secured credit card, as well as a variety of student credit cards.

search

Highlight: Bank of America® Cash Rewards Card

One of Bank of America’s most popular cards, the Cash Rewards card offers 3% and 2% cash back in a category of your choice, and grocery stores/wholesale clubs on the first $2,500 each quarter. Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases. There is no annual fee, and you can earn $200 in online cash rewards for a limited time after making at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of opening your account.

Co-branded Rewards Cards

Bank of America offers a variety of co-branded credit cards, allowing you to gain rewards on specific purchases that can be used towards travel, for example. Bank of America offers co-branded options with the following companies:

• Alaska Airlines
  • Royal Caribbean International
  • Virgin Atlantic
  • Celebrity Cruises
  • Norwegian Cruise Line
  • Susan G. Komen (Breast Cancer Foundation)
  • Major League Baseball (MLB)

Secured Credit Card Options

If you are looking to build or rebuild credit, Bank of America offers two secured credit card options:

• Bank of America® Cash Rewards Secured
  • BankAmericard® Secured

Both cards offer a convenient way to build credit with no annual fee and a refundable security deposit of $300 to $4,900.

Many companies do not offer this added benefit to credit building. The Bank of America Cash Rewards Secured card offers 3% and 2% cash back in a category of your choice and at grocery stores/wholesale clubs on the first $2,500 each quarter; 1% cash back on all other purchases.

Student Credit Card Options

Bank of America offers three student credit card options:

• Bank of America® Cash Rewards for Students
  • BankAmericard® for Students
  • Bank of America® Travel Rewards for Students

Most other credit card companies only offer one student credit card option that generally has some sort of cash back reward.

Benefits for Existing Bank of America Customers

You do not need to be an existing Bank of America customer to apply for a credit card, but if you are an existing customer, some cards offer additional benefits for keeping all your accounts with the bank.

For example, the Bank of America® Premium Rewards® card allows Bank of America checking account or savings account holders to redeem cash back as a deposit into either type of account. In addition, existing Bank of America customers are eligible for Preferred Rewards, allowing you to earn 25 percent to 75 percent more points on purchases.

Preferred Rewards Program

Bank of America’s Preferred Rewards program is designed to give back to loyal bank customers, offering exclusive benefits. The program includes three tiers — Gold, Platinum, and Platinum Honors — allowing you access to certain rewards and savings.

To enroll in Preferred Rewards you must meet the following criteria:

• Have an active, eligible Bank of America checking account
  • Have a three-month combined average daily balance of $20,000+ in Bank of America deposit accounts and/or Merrill® investment accounts

If you meet these criteria you are welcome to enroll through online banking, but approval is not guaranteed.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

Available to all Bank of America credit card holders, you can check your FICO® score for free either online or through the Bank of America mobile app.

Through this service you can check your FICO score monthly with no impact to your credit score, see what factors are impacting your score, and receive tips for maintaining healthy credit with Better Money Habits.

Positive Customer Reviews

Bank of America reviews are currently limited, but the majority of these reviews give the company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews frequently mention excellent customer service and low interest rates.

On the other hand, negative reviews frequently mention high fees.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Foreign Transaction Fees

Annual Fees

Many Bank of America credit cards don’t charge an annual fee, but some cards do charge this fee:

• Bank of America® Premium Rewards® — $95 annual fee
  • Alaska Airlines Visa® — $75 annual fee
  • Free Spirit® Travel More World Elite Mastercard® — $0 introductory annual fee. After the first year, $79 annual fee.
  • Allegiant World Mastercard® — $59 annual fee
  • Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard® — $79 annual fee
  • Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard® — $89 annual fee
  • Sonesta World Mastercard® — $0 introductory annual fee. After the first year, $75 annual fee.
  • Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard® — $90 annual fee

It is important to note that rewards cards often charge this fee, and Bank of America’s annual fees are significantly low in comparison to other credit card issuers, such as American Express.

Foreign Transaction Fees

Many Bank of America credit cards don’t charge a foreign transaction fee, including its co-branded travel rewards cards, but some company-branded cards will charge this fee.

Bank of America’s foreign transaction fee is 3 percent U.S. dollar amount on each purchase made in a foreign currency or on transactions made/processed outside of the United States.

The Bottom Line

Bank of America is a trusted financial institution both nationally and internationally, and serves a variety of needs through its personal banking products and services, as well as its array of 22 credit card options.

From generous cash back rewards to travel points, Bank of America has a credit card for everyone. It is an added bonus that the company offers a cash back rewards secured credit card option, as well as a travel rewards card for students, allowing more flexibility and benefits for those who are building credit.

Most credit cards do not charge an annual fee or foreign transaction fee, but for cards that do charge an annual fee, you might pay less than you would with other credit card issuers. Although, higher annual fees generally mean that there are more generous rewards involved.

Based on a currently limited number of Bank of America credit card reviews, the majority of customers award the company 4 or 5 stars, most frequently praising the company’s low interest rates and excellent customer service.

Call our recommended rep over at Bank of America below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

4.1

K Andres Purcellville, VA

Bank of America provides a good credit card that is reliable and can be counted on. Recently there was a compromise and Bank of America had my back the entire way canceling and reissuing the credit card within moments of the breach. Very impressive.

Ac Irvine, CA

I am sure you have heard awful stories about this bank. Here goes another one. In 2006 and 2007, the agency I worked with deposited our checks through BofA. I would use their card as a regular debit card or usually withdraw everything at once. For the particular week, I only drew half of my money, and when I returned, my account was in ZEROS! I walked into the bank and spoke with the teller to show him my receipt of the previous transaction neither he nor the manager could explain how the money disappeared from the account. Long story short, they sent me a stack of papers to sign and find my money. I opened my account with Washington Mutual and moved my deposit. Moving forward to 2021, they sent me a letter stating the issue back in 2006 and 2007, and they sent me a debit card with the rest of my money. They are not to be trusted; everyone I know who has banked with them has had weird issues in their accounts.

Billy Webb TX

I had a credit card and the company kept harassing me to do a mortgage with them so I told them to stop calling me. They stopped all communications and purposely stopped sending me my bill then without notifying me they closed my account. Then sent it to collections. I called them up and they apologized then set me up a payment arrangement with taking out the payment automatically. The agreement if I don't missed a payment then they remove the account out of collections and correct the billing history. This was a lie. They purposely skipped a payment then claimed I had to request the automatic payments to come out every other month. I ended up getting it fixed on the credit side by filing a dispute. Ever since 2009 they when down hill on both the bank side and the credit cards side.

Tess Rangus Puyallup, WA

I don't have a lot of contact, but that's a good thing. Things are going smooth. I did have an unauthorized charge on my credit card and it took a 3 minute phone conversation to rectify.

Karen Bach Mount Airy, GA

Did business with Bank of America in Tampa for more than 20 years. Best bank I ever dealt with for savings, checking and mortgage accounts. Responsive to needs in a timely fashion. Unfortunately, there are no branches near enough to where I live now to make it feasible. If a branch opens close to me I will be there in a heartbeat.

Frank Herbert Portland, OR

I have used the Bank of America Visa card for at least 30 years. My main concern is identity theft and they have been very vigilant in guarding my card and identifying suspicious transactions. They notify me immediately when a charge appears amiss, and they have even frozen my card on some overseas transactions, but they are easy to contact 24 hours a day via phone or internet to clear up any questions. I also use their Travel Rewards card exclusively when overseas to avoid pesky foreign currency conversion fees. I used to work for the US Government and their card was accepted by all US embassies for staff employees which was extremely convenient.

Shelton Germaine Rogers, AR

Well what can I say. I have tried this bank on two different occasions and both times I have found them to have poor customer service, poor rates and to generally provide a poor overall experience. If you don't mine liars and thieves then this is the company for you.

Meagan Diemer Hopewell, VA

Going on +11 years of banking with Bank of America. Never had an issue and customer service has always been great. Wait times are not extreme like other banking institutes I have used in the past. Usually receive immediate resolutions with issues. If not possible, they are at least timely. Their app is convenient and easy to use. Which is a huge plus. Just wish I could go further back in transactions to view. But still overall very happy with their services!

JimS. Cathedral City, CA

I have an Alaska Airlines Visa card through Bank of America. This gives me Alaska Airlines mileage as well as other benefits, like a free checked bag for every flight. It cost me $75 per year. What can you say about a Visa card? Pretty much everyone takes it. User interface for the Bank of America credit card app is pretty easy to use. I make my credit card payments on the app, and it works quickly and easily. They also give you your FICO score free every month which is nice. What’s not to like? I don’t have all my banking services with Bank of America, but if I did I’m sure they would be fine.

zugey muniz Orlando, FL

I like the professionalism , the way the help customer and oriented the customer always and provide more than the customer ask always helpful

GREGORY MC LENDON

BANK OF AMERICA IS STILL B OF A, THEY ARE BIG AND THEY DONT REALLY HAVE TO CATER TO YOU. UNLESS YOU HAVE A 8 FIGURE ACCOUNT, THEY ACT AS IF YOU ARE NOT IMPORTANT IN THEIR WORLD. DURING THE 80'S THEY WERE GEARED TO HELP THE STARTUP COMPANIES AND SMALL BUSINESS BUT NOW, BIG BUSINESS OR BUST IF YOU WANT GOOD SERVICE AND HELP. IF THEY WERE THE LAST BANK ON EARTH, I WOULD KEEP MY MONEY IN MY MATTRESS FOR SAFE KEEPING.

Luke Swierczynski Waterford, MI

Got their Travel rewards card before a trip since I'd rather have a travel card that can be used with any flight service. Decent sign on bonus seeing as there is no annual fee and 1.5% back isn't terrible, but does pale compared to the new 2% cards offered.

Steve Harris Gonzales, LA

I have had 2 Bank of America credit cards for a number of years. They've always been great. Never a single negative issue. One of many examples of positive responses I've asked on more than one occasion if they would increase my credit limit. Each time they increased it substantially and quickly.

J B Sandy, UT

My parents used Bank of America for as long as I can remember, and the have been a great financial partner as they have gotten older and had to look at options for getting equity out of their home. B of A found an option that allowed them to retire in comfort.

Moses F. Chandler, AZ

We are proud to be Bank of America customers. They offer a wide range of services & support. The staff is very Professional & very helpful. We highly recommend Bank of America, they have a long standing commitment of satisfaction, for it's customer's

George

The type of credit card I got from Bank of America was a secured credit card meaning that I had to put a deposit before being granted the card. This type of technique and program works well in order to build credit history since the credit world Dynamics have changed to ridiculous situations over the years. When nobody else trusted me just because I had no credit history; Bank of America trusted in me.

Kaye Columbia, MO

The Bank of America Mobile App is my favorite! The mobile banking app is so easy to use and it really helps in managing my credit card spending. It shows you a breakdown of all your spending and your income, as well as showing you your monthly credit score free of charge. And, because I'm a student, a lot of the normal credit card fees are waived, which I love.

Mariana Tornero Alegria Hercules, CA

It has been great for the past 5 years. Customer service is great but you have to be careful with the fees.

Kathy Gonzalez Chandler, AZ

This bank is excellent for our needs. The card is my backup for everything. Great customer service and low to zero fees.

Ayda Darvishan Houston, TX

If I could I would give 0 stars. Worst credit card services ever. I put it on autopayment and I was using it for about a year and it was working. But then after a while it didn't and I had a couple of missed payments. I disputed the issue but customer service did nothing about it. They told me probably I did not set the autopayment properly (which is weird because it worked perfectly for couple of months and then did stop). Anyways, customer service suggested that they do the autopayment settings themselves and I agreed. Again, it worked for a while and then after 9 months ​I figured I have 6 miss patements in my credit report!! It crushed my credit score from excellent to fair condition!!! I'm very very ery angry... I have several other credit cards that I use frequently and never had a problem with their autopayment (no misstatements at all on other cards). I will never ever use Bank of America's services and I suggested the same to anyone I know.

Marci Randall Sandy, UT

We have had a Bank of America credit card for over 20 years! I love the cash back program and have always been impressed with the security measures they have when traveling

Anoushka Ahuja Lecanto, FL

I got the Bank of America credit card when I first opened a Bank of America account, it was ok with decent cash back offers on groceries & gas. I did not pay any account fees because I had direct deposit through work that was a plus!

MisterB Lake Havasu City, AZ

50 yrs a loyal customer. The local BofA had scheduled to close their local office on a specific Friday, and without prior notice to their customers decided to close 5 days earlier than scheduled. No prior-notice whatsoever. 4pm on a Monday they were closing their doors forever. I just happen to be out that day and decided to go by the bank because I needed to withdraw $15k. I was limited to withdrawing only $5k. The nearest branch was over 300 miles away, and in another state. Do you think I could walk in any branch and make a cash withdrawl of $15k? Probably not. BofA did their customers wrong, and as far as I'm concerned, they stole my money. I despise the way it was all handled. They could have stayed open a few more days to accomodate their customers. They had the highest earnings the last quarter of 2021, yet they couldn't find a monkey to do their dirty work for a few more days? A bank manager told me that Covid was the reason for the short closure. That's bs, when there is a drive through. All but one single ATM were taken out of service. That shows they really dont one bit for their customers. No more loyalty to their customers than to a rabbid dog. The CEO and Executive Director did not have the decency to respond to my emails, they passed it on to a lower customer relations person that should not have replied on their behalf. More lies and concern themselves only with higher profits, no matter who it affects.. This is corporate America at it's worst.

ROBESONIA PARKER Dover, PA

Bank of America was a very different kind of banking experience. Their company is very much like the company that is in the process of selling and buying and not very good on customer services.

Abdul Alim Buffalo, NY

I've been a bank of America customer for almost 13 years. Never had an issue with the cards.If there's any issue just call the customer and and they help you with any and everything

Sheena

Overall experience with BOA is great. I love that they are always monitoring everything, if activities seems fishy on your card you are most definitely getting a call. Excellent preventative measures.

Melissa Castillo Baytown, TX

I have a Bank of America card through an eductors source and find it to be of great value. The interest rate I was offered was unbeatable. I like the ease of online banking and the services the credit card offers me. Great value.

Patricia Miller Preston, ID

I have had a credit card with Bank of America for 17 years. The service is great and the staff is always available to help you. I wanted to make a large purchase in November but I did not have enough available credit left on my card and the woman at Bank of America made it work! She was wonderful.

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

My husband has a Bank of America credit card that he uses for his small business. He has been very happy with the terms and the customer service. He uses the card for gas and equipment purchases and pays it off each month to avoid interest charges.

Tiffany I Elkridge, MD

I’ve been a loyal customer with BOA since college. They’ve notified me of miscellaneous charges, rushed debit cards, and helped with any customer service request I’ve needed. The online system is super easy to use. I’ve never needed to switch banks.

Anthony Cashin

Boa charges $5 to replace worn out cards. They classify as "damaged". My point is I did not damage the card. It's too flimsy, and I am having to get a new one more than once a year. Should last until expiration. They called and explained and refunded my $5

Erinmarie Xian Seffner, FL

I have 2 credit cards and a mtg with Bank of America - they have the BEST customer service. In the 20 years I've been doing business with them they have resolved any and every issue I have ever had. I realize there are those that do not like BOA but I have always been very happy with the service provided.

Gavin Jones Columbus, OH

Had great customer service and very swift assistance. I have found BOA to be very reliable and also the card I have has given me some great rewards and offers. Also the app itself is super friendly and easy to use on the fly.

Sirdriz77 Fairfield, CT

I love Bank of America for their banking and investing, and their customer service is awesome, but I don't use my BoA credit card very often, because the rewards don't compare to my other credit cards. I haven't looked to see what card benefits they are offering lately, but if they had a benefit that I wanted I wouldn't hesitate to use my card more often.

Cece Valentine San Antonio, TX

Bank of America protects you card information very well. They will lock your card if there's any suspicious activity happening in your account. It's also really easy to create an account and set up an appointment in the mobile app. You can really trust this bank with your money and credit.

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

In my opinion, Bank of America is revolutionizing the credit card industry. You can pick which area you want to earn the most cash back on based on your spending habits! This has allowed me to earn more cash back on gas since I have fairly long commutes and also love road trips (plus gas is expensive!!!).

Victor Olaore Omoshehin Brooklyn, NY

The Bank of America have been a customer friendly bank to me. At least, It was my first ever bank to open in the country. The experience have been overwhelming with their online chat and other banking services which I can get online. The Bank of America responded to my debit card replacement on time without stress. Some times my credit card arrived fore the 7 business days expectation.

Brianna Sutherland Tallahassee, FL

I have been a member of Bank of America since I was in high school and I have no complaints thus far. Starting out, i had a joint account with my mom but now I have my own account and I truly trust BOA . Their customer service has always been helpful and understanding when I have an issue with my account.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

My experience with Bank of America has been great. They have to get credit rewards and are always attentive when it comes to customer concerns. Additionally, they have to get card styles, which I love because it makes it more personal.

Bassem lasheen Torrance, CA

One of the best online banking experiences,great customer support

Josh Hughes Denver, CO

I've been a BoA customer for 17 years. Its been easy to work with the whole time.

Lauren San Antonio, TX

Bank of America offers lots of great products with competitive incentives.

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

Bank of America is a great company to have a credit card through. My Bank of America card is always reliable and the bank itself is always super helpful whenever I have any problems. I mostly appreciate the banking app and online banking system that allow for ease of access to my account information wherever I am. The applications interface is very nice and easy to use as well as constantly updated and accurate. I most enjoy that it logs you out of your banking session if you are in active. It makes the whole process you much safer.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

Although I don't currently use my Bank of America card because I am retired and only need my debit card (tied to my credit union account) and my Amazon card now, I would still recommend using Bank of America as good credit card to use. I always handled transactions via mail or phone but I never had any problems and they were always pleasant and helpful when I needed their help.

JStel Grand Junction, CO

Never a problem with BOA credit card! If you are a single card user for most purchases...go no further. I've not once had an unresolved problem in many years of use! Customer service excellent and expedient, online access safe and convenient, and point building opportunities (with cash option) are excellent! Finally, security is of utmost importance to BOA...and they will go to bat for you when needed. Most times they catch problems before they ever occur!

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have had a Bank of America credit card and they stand apart from other credit cards in my rate being lower, lower fees, and some great options for rewards. I especially like the cash back program. I had a Bank of America credit card in the 1980's and it was good then and it is even better now with all of the safeguard options and online services.

Uju Kamanu Seattle, WA

Best bank ever. I have 3 accounts with them and still pleased. Customer service is so good!

D. Jones Arlington, TX

I've always had a good experience when dealing with BOA. The rewards program is fair, and easy to redeem.

LaVoya Searcy Siloam Springs, AR

I banked with B of A for several years, and they're unwillingness to work with me and resolve an issue thru me off. It was cut and dry for them and I ended up taking my business elsewhere.

Jerry Williams Dallas, TX

Currently have three credit card accounts with B of A. One personal and two business. The best I know for "deals" for either longer terms or zero interest periods.