Best Company Guarantee Bank of America Logo

Bank of America

6.8

LAST UPDATED: January 23rd, 2022

Bank of America, founded in San Francisco in 1998, is one of the world’s leading financial institutions, offering a variety of banking solutions to individuals and businesses.

In addition to traditional banking services, the bank offers a variety of different credit cards. Offering a variety of rewards cards, and other credit card products, including a student credit card and secured credit card option, consumers can find the card that best fits their needs.

Continue reading for a full review of Bank of America credit cards, as well as reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Variety of Credit Cards
  • Co-branded Rewards Cards
  • Secured Credit Card Options
  • Student Credit Card Options
  • Benefits for Existing Bank of America Customers
  • Preferred Rewards Program
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Variety of Credit Cards

In addition to its traditional banking services, Bank of America offers a variety of credit cards. You don’t need to be an existing Bank of America customer to qualify for a credit card, but there are some additional benefits, such as preferred rewards, that are available to those who already bank with the institution.

Bank of America offers both company-branded and co-branded rewards cards, allowing you to earn points or cash back on purchases. In addition, Bank of America offers a secured credit card, as well as a variety of student credit cards.

search

Highlight: Bank of America® Cash Rewards Card

One of Bank of America’s most popular cards, the Cash Rewards card offers 3% and 2% cash back in a category of your choice, and grocery stores/wholesale clubs on the first $2,500 each quarter. Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases. There is no annual fee, and you can earn $200 in online cash rewards for a limited time after making at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of opening your account.

Co-branded Rewards Cards

Bank of America offers a variety of co-branded credit cards, allowing you to gain rewards on specific purchases that can be used towards travel, for example. Bank of America offers co-branded options with the following companies:

• Alaska Airlines
  • Royal Caribbean International
  • Virgin Atlantic
  • Celebrity Cruises
  • Norwegian Cruise Line
  • Susan G. Komen (Breast Cancer Foundation)
  • Major League Baseball (MLB)

Secured Credit Card Options

If you are looking to build or rebuild credit, Bank of America offers two secured credit card options:

• Bank of America® Cash Rewards Secured
  • BankAmericard® Secured

Both cards offer a convenient way to build credit with no annual fee and a refundable security deposit of $300 to $4,900.

Many companies do not offer this added benefit to credit building. The Bank of America Cash Rewards Secured card offers 3% and 2% cash back in a category of your choice and at grocery stores/wholesale clubs on the first $2,500 each quarter; 1% cash back on all other purchases.

Student Credit Card Options

Bank of America offers three student credit card options:

• Bank of America® Cash Rewards for Students
  • BankAmericard® for Students
  • Bank of America® Travel Rewards for Students

Most other credit card companies only offer one student credit card option that generally has some sort of cash back reward.

Benefits for Existing Bank of America Customers

You do not need to be an existing Bank of America customer to apply for a credit card, but if you are an existing customer, some cards offer additional benefits for keeping all your accounts with the bank.

For example, the Bank of America® Premium Rewards® card allows Bank of America checking account or savings account holders to redeem cash back as a deposit into either type of account. In addition, existing Bank of America customers are eligible for Preferred Rewards, allowing you to earn 25 percent to 75 percent more points on purchases.

Preferred Rewards Program

Bank of America’s Preferred Rewards program is designed to give back to loyal bank customers, offering exclusive benefits. The program includes three tiers — Gold, Platinum, and Platinum Honors — allowing you access to certain rewards and savings.

To enroll in Preferred Rewards you must meet the following criteria:

• Have an active, eligible Bank of America checking account
  • Have a three-month combined average daily balance of $20,000+ in Bank of America deposit accounts and/or Merrill® investment accounts

If you meet these criteria you are welcome to enroll through online banking, but approval is not guaranteed.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

Available to all Bank of America credit card holders, you can check your FICO® score for free either online or through the Bank of America mobile app.

Through this service you can check your FICO score monthly with no impact to your credit score, see what factors are impacting your score, and receive tips for maintaining healthy credit with Better Money Habits.

Positive Customer Reviews

Bank of America reviews are currently limited, but the majority of these reviews give the company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews frequently mention excellent customer service and low interest rates.

On the other hand, negative reviews frequently mention high fees.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Foreign Transaction Fees

Annual Fees

Many Bank of America credit cards don’t charge an annual fee, but some cards do charge this fee:

• Bank of America® Premium Rewards® — $95 annual fee
  • Alaska Airlines Visa® — $75 annual fee
  • Free Spirit® Travel More World Elite Mastercard® — $0 introductory annual fee. After the first year, $79 annual fee.
  • Allegiant World Mastercard® — $59 annual fee
  • Amtrak Guest Rewards® World Mastercard® — $79 annual fee
  • Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard® — $89 annual fee
  • Sonesta World Mastercard® — $0 introductory annual fee. After the first year, $75 annual fee.
  • Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard® — $90 annual fee

It is important to note that rewards cards often charge this fee, and Bank of America’s annual fees are significantly low in comparison to other credit card issuers, such as American Express.

Foreign Transaction Fees

Many Bank of America credit cards don’t charge a foreign transaction fee, including its co-branded travel rewards cards, but some company-branded cards will charge this fee.

Bank of America’s foreign transaction fee is 3 percent U.S. dollar amount on each purchase made in a foreign currency or on transactions made/processed outside of the United States.

The Bottom Line

Bank of America is a trusted financial institution both nationally and internationally, and serves a variety of needs through its personal banking products and services, as well as its array of 22 credit card options.

From generous cash back rewards to travel points, Bank of America has a credit card for everyone. It is an added bonus that the company offers a cash back rewards secured credit card option, as well as a travel rewards card for students, allowing more flexibility and benefits for those who are building credit.

Most credit cards do not charge an annual fee or foreign transaction fee, but for cards that do charge an annual fee, you might pay less than you would with other credit card issuers. Although, higher annual fees generally mean that there are more generous rewards involved.

Based on a currently limited number of Bank of America credit card reviews, the majority of customers award the company 4 or 5 stars, most frequently praising the company’s low interest rates and excellent customer service.

Call our recommended rep over at Bank of America below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

4.1

Steve Harris Gonzales, LA

I have had 2 Bank of America credit cards for a number of years. They've always been great. Never a single negative issue. One of many examples of positive responses I've asked on more than one occasion if they would increase my credit limit. Each time they increased it substantially and quickly.

1 day ago

J B Sandy, UT

My parents used Bank of America for as long as I can remember, and the have been a great financial partner as they have gotten older and had to look at options for getting equity out of their home. B of A found an option that allowed them to retire in comfort.

Moses F. Chandler, AZ

We are proud to be Bank of America customers. They offer a wide range of services & support. The staff is very Professional & very helpful. We highly recommend Bank of America, they have a long standing commitment of satisfaction, for it's customer's

Frank Herbert Portland, OR

I have used the Bank of America Visa card for at least 30 years. My main concern is identity theft and they have been very vigilant in guarding my card and identifying suspicious transactions. They notify me immediately when a charge appears amiss, and they have even frozen my card on some overseas transactions, but they are easy to contact 24 hours a day via phone or internet to clear up any questions. I also use their Travel Rewards card exclusively when overseas to avoid pesky foreign currency conversion fees. I used to work for the US Government and their card was accepted by all US embassies for staff employees which was extremely convenient.

JimS. Cathedral City, CA

I have an Alaska Airlines Visa card through Bank of America. This gives me Alaska Airlines mileage as well as other benefits, like a free checked bag for every flight. It cost me $75 per year. What can you say about a Visa card? Pretty much everyone takes it. User interface for the Bank of America credit card app is pretty easy to use. I make my credit card payments on the app, and it works quickly and easily. They also give you your FICO score free every month which is nice. What’s not to like? I don’t have all my banking services with Bank of America, but if I did I’m sure they would be fine.

Anoushka Ahuja Lecanto, FL

I got the Bank of America credit card when I first opened a Bank of America account, it was ok with decent cash back offers on groceries & gas. I did not pay any account fees because I had direct deposit through work that was a plus!

Sheen Rudder

Overall experience with BOA is great. I love that they are always monitoring everything, if activities seems fishy on your card you are most definitely getting a call. Excellent preventative measures.

Erinmarie Xian Seffner, FL

I have 2 credit cards and a mtg with Bank of America - they have the BEST customer service. In the 20 years I've been doing business with them they have resolved any and every issue I have ever had. I realize there are those that do not like BOA but I have always been very happy with the service provided.

Gavin Jones Columbus, OH

Had great customer service and very swift assistance. I have found BOA to be very reliable and also the card I have has given me some great rewards and offers. Also the app itself is super friendly and easy to use on the fly.

Sirdriz77 Fairfield, CT

I love Bank of America for their banking and investing, and their customer service is awesome, but I don't use my BoA credit card very often, because the rewards don't compare to my other credit cards. I haven't looked to see what card benefits they are offering lately, but if they had a benefit that I wanted I wouldn't hesitate to use my card more often.

upnorthwi Bellevue, WA

Credit cards are pretty much all the same, high interest, bad customer service and gimmicks. Bank of America is one of my favorites, nice interest rate, good customer service, they will assist you with a dispute with merchants.

Cece Valentine San Antonio, TX

Bank of America protects you card information very well. They will lock your card if there's any suspicious activity happening in your account. It's also really easy to create an account and set up an appointment in the mobile app. You can really trust this bank with your money and credit.

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

In my opinion, Bank of America is revolutionizing the credit card industry. You can pick which area you want to earn the most cash back on based on your spending habits! This has allowed me to earn more cash back on gas since I have fairly long commutes and also love road trips (plus gas is expensive!!!).

Victor Olaore Omoshehin Brooklyn, NY

The Bank of America have been a customer friendly bank to me. At least, It was my first ever bank to open in the country. The experience have been overwhelming with their online chat and other banking services which I can get online. The Bank of America responded to my debit card replacement on time without stress. Some times my credit card arrived fore the 7 business days expectation.

Glenn Dalton Salt Lake City, UT

Good card, accepted everywhere, good cash back but not the best in the industry. Good fraud protection and great customer service.

Brianna Sutherland Tallahassee, FL

I have been a member of Bank of America since I was in high school and I have no complaints thus far. Starting out, i had a joint account with my mom but now I have my own account and I truly trust BOA . Their customer service has always been helpful and understanding when I have an issue with my account.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

My experience with Bank of America has been great. They have to get credit rewards and are always attentive when it comes to customer concerns. Additionally, they have to get card styles, which I love because it makes it more personal.

Kaye Columbia, MO

The Bank of America Mobile App is my favorite! The mobile banking app is so easy to use and it really helps in managing my credit card spending. It shows you a breakdown of all your spending and your income, as well as showing you your monthly credit score free of charge. And, because I'm a student, a lot of the normal credit card fees are waived, which I love.

JCook00 Macomb, MI

I like Bank of America. Their staff has always treated me with friendliness and has handled my finances appropriately.

David Morris North Richland Hills, TX

They've got my back! Caught suspicious activity and restricted my card a few times. Kind of a pain because I shopped outside the box.

No Name Goshen, IN

Completely blood thirsty company with no morals for family values. Once we had a problem in the winter when we had a snow storm. We had home insurance and up to date on everything, however BOA was where we had our home financing through. We were in a devastating situation and when this happened to us, for some reason BOA took our insurance money to fix our building and applied the sum on our loan. I could possibly understand this if we were in default or something like that, but it wasn't the case and I was shocked they could Legally do this to people. I really learned a lesson from them and will NEVER do business with them ever again.

Jodee McKeon Houston, TX

I have their travel rewards card and it is pretty good, we get decent rewards that we can use for flights and hotels and that's been nice. I think their website is old and clunky and could definitely use an upgrade but aside from that, I've had a good experience.

altavise davis Tallahassee, FL

Bank Of America has been the only bank of mine since the 8th grade. I absolutely love it! This bank has a mobile app that alerts you for everything, you can also check your checking and savings! I highly recommend!

Melissa Castillo Baytown, TX

I have a Bank of America card through an eductors source and find it to be of great value. The interest rate I was offered was unbeatable. I like the ease of online banking and the services the credit card offers me. Great value.

Connor Smith Port Saint Lucie, FL

You can deposit checks at home. Can send money through Zelle

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

Bank of America is a great company to have a credit card through. My Bank of America card is always reliable and the bank itself is always super helpful whenever I have any problems. I mostly appreciate the banking app and online banking system that allow for ease of access to my account information wherever I am. The applications interface is very nice and easy to use as well as constantly updated and accurate. I most enjoy that it logs you out of your banking session if you are in active. It makes the whole process you much safer.

Jenni Zollinger Aiken, SC

Love my Bank of America credit card. The cash back is awesome! The mobile app makes it easy to monitor my card.

Madile Miami, FL

I absolutely love the phone customer service. I have been a loyal customer for more than 20 years and NEVER had an issue with my Bank.

Nashali Vescovacci Gainesville, FL

Bank of America is a very trustworthy bank. Their credit card services are very easy to navigate and great for all age ranges. Their customer service is also very good.

taismine joseph Tallahassee, FL

I have been with BOFA for years now. They never let me down. When it comes to fraud, you won't have to worry about your account. They say on top of it.

Michala Tallahassee, FL

Bank of America is very professional and uses a great deal og high security to ensure your account and information is secure. The mobile banking app is awesome!

RCSmith Frankfort, KY

I have been with Bank of American for a few years. Card is good and service is good. I like the cash back rewards.

Rosita Khalehpari Winnetka, CA

I get fraud warning and alert if something is wrong. They inform me via email and text messages.

Matt Clark Nampa, ID

I use Bank of America through a business and I’ve never had any problems. They have everything pretty streamlined which saves me time.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

It was easy to find and pay my statements on time with my Bank of America credit card. It helped boost my credit greatly.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Amazing credit card experience. Really low rates and not too many fees. Customer service is very attentive. Rewards and benefits are never-ending.

Zharia Allums Tallahassee, FL

Given that I am a college student, Bank of America suits me the most because of the maintenance fee waiver for students under 24!

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

The BOA app allows you to see all of your transactions, and it is easy to use. When I have fraudulent activity BOA shuts off my card until i have verified the purchases. This is very helpful and reassures me that my money is safe. They also sent my new card quickly when i had lost it at work.

George

The type of credit card I got from Bank of America was a secured credit card meaning that I had to put a deposit before being granted the card. This type of technique and program works well in order to build credit history since the credit world Dynamics have changed to ridiculous situations over the years. When nobody else trusted me just because I had no credit history; Bank of America trusted in me.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

Although I don't currently use my Bank of America card because I am retired and only need my debit card (tied to my credit union account) and my Amazon card now, I would still recommend using Bank of America as good credit card to use. I always handled transactions via mail or phone but I never had any problems and they were always pleasant and helpful when I needed their help.

janice dorvil Tallahassee, FL

I've had a few bad encounters with bank tellers. And once there was an instance of things that I did not buy that showed up on my account I'm not sure why.

Alexis Mcintosh Tallahassee, FL

Great service helpful staff, would definitely recommend. Banking is made so simple with them, they really changed my mind on the investment process

Patricia Miller Preston, ID

I have had a credit card with Bank of America for 17 years. The service is great and the staff is always available to help you. I wanted to make a large purchase in November but I did not have enough available credit left on my card and the woman at Bank of America made it work! She was wonderful.

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

My husband has a Bank of America credit card that he uses for his small business. He has been very happy with the terms and the customer service. He uses the card for gas and equipment purchases and pays it off each month to avoid interest charges.

Tiffany I Elkridge, MD

I’ve been a loyal customer with BOA since college. They’ve notified me of miscellaneous charges, rushed debit cards, and helped with any customer service request I’ve needed. The online system is super easy to use. I’ve never needed to switch banks.

Anthony Cashin

Boa charges $5 to replace worn out cards. They classify as "damaged". My point is I did not damage the card. It's too flimsy, and I am having to get a new one more than once a year. Should last until expiration. They called and explained and refunded my $5

Luke

The customer service was friendly and professional

Brianna S Tallahassee, FL

I have been with Bank of America since I received my first debit card, which has been for almost 6 years. I have never had any issues with money going missing and whenever I had to dispute a charge, their customer service was very helpful and efficient!

JStel Grand Junction, CO

Never a problem with BOA credit card! If you are a single card user for most purchases...go no further. I've not once had an unresolved problem in many years of use! Customer service excellent and expedient, online access safe and convenient, and point building opportunities (with cash option) are excellent! Finally, security is of utmost importance to BOA...and they will go to bat for you when needed. Most times they catch problems before they ever occur!

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have had a Bank of America credit card and they stand apart from other credit cards in my rate being lower, lower fees, and some great options for rewards. I especially like the cash back program. I had a Bank of America credit card in the 1980's and it was good then and it is even better now with all of the safeguard options and online services.