Discover

Discover Logo

7.4

Discover

Discover offers APRs ranging from 0 to 23.24 percent*

Discover Financial began offering the Discover Card in 1985 and introduced its cash rewards credit card in 1986. Today, Discover is the third-largest credit card brand in the United States and has over 61 million cardholders.

The Good

• Rewards
  • No Annual Fees
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • APR

Rewards

Discover offers a number of rewards options, including the Discover it Chrome Student Card, the Discover it Cash Credit Card, and the Discover it Miles Credit Card. With the Chrome Student Card, students can get $20 cash back each school year that their GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next five years. At the end of the first year, Discover adds up all the cash back earned on the student card and matches it. The Cash Credit Card gives 5 percent cash back in the selected quarterly category. The Miles Credit Card offers an automatic match of all the miles earned at the end of your first year with no blackout dates. Miles can be redeemed for travel credits or cash.

No Annual Fees

There are no annual fees associated with any of Discover's credit cards, which can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Discover does not charge a foreign transaction fee, which is a nice benefit for frequent travelers.

Free Credit Score

Discover provides its cardholders with the ability to view and monitor their FICO score for free.

Fraud Safeguards

Discover offers several fraud safeguards, including purchase monitoring and the ability for customers to freeze and unfreeze their card in the event that it is lost or stolen.

APR

Most of Discover's credit cards offer an introductory APR of 0 percent for the first fourteen months. Ongoing APRs range from 13.74 to 23.74 percent*, which is competitive within the industry. Visit Site

The Bad

Late Payment Penalties

For the first late payment, Discover does not charge a late payment fee. However, for every late payment after that, the fee is $37.

The Bottom Line

Discover Financial offers several attractive features, including no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, competitive APRs, and a number of rewards programs. However, the company does have a late payment fee in place.

Pierce Hensley
May 1st, 2018 Albuquerque, NM DETAILS

I’ve had a Discover card for a while now, and I absolutely love it! I get great rewards, low APR, and no yearly fee!

Doom Truong
May 1st, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I have had a card for many years now. At first didn't like how much the APR was but after comparing them to Citi Visa card they had a better rate. They have rolling 2% cashback categories that keep you incentivized to use your card.

Jeffrey Foutz
April 23rd, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Low percentage rates. Credit Limits are decent. Good perks with the cards.

Jeff Martin
April 19th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I would advise you to be careful when going with Discover. High rates and I didn't have a good experience with their staff at all.

John W
April 12th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

I started as a secured card with a $500 limit and just after a year graduated to an unsecured with a $2,000 limit. As long as you're responsible with the card they will convert you to unsecured. Highly recommended

Tamekia
April 12th, 2018 Camden, NJ DETAILS

My experiences with discover has been good thus far, I have only been with them a few months but I have had no issues whatsoever. Applying for a discover card was a very easy process, hopefully after 6 months or so of keeping my account in good standing I’ll qualify for a credit increase. The whole purpose of me getting a credit card was to help improve my credit score and in the short amount of time I have seen a big improvement in my score.

Daniel
April 12th, 2018 Davenport, NY DETAILS

Outstanding costumer service, couldn’t be happier.

Trent Palmer
April 10th, 2018 Provo, UT

seem like good cards but a some places still don't take them, so that is annoying. Otherwise they seem good.

A J
April 9th, 2018 Deerfield, IL DETAILS

It used to be the best credit card in my wallet but not any more. With recent changes in the customer benefits, I am no more incline to Discover. They have reduced a lot of benefits including Purchase Protection and extended warranty. There is no use if my credit card cannot protect me on my purchases. Also, recently customer care have changed a lot and have become more pain when contacted.

John Burns
March 6th, 2018 Hendersonville, TN DETAILS

I've had good experience with Discover except how they handle a dispute...it's terrible. I've had to file a few disputes after I hit a dead end with the merchant. Discover doesn't appear to investigate, the just side with the seller, even when there is an obvious fraud problem. I guess they don't want to make waves? So much for "the customer is always right". Discover's motto is "the customer is always wrong".

Great
March 5th, 2018 Dunsmuir, CA DETAILS

Always polite fast service. Willing to do waterver it takes to make customer happy

fred
March 5th, 2018 Lancaster, CA DETAILS

good take what you get and be happy it's my omly answer to this quesrion

Sally
March 5th, 2018 Junction City, OR DETAILS

I got behind when my husband passed away and made payment arrangements that were paid in full and on time. When I applied again they denied me bc of that previous account that I worked with them.

Avis Gregory
March 5th, 2018 St Louis, MO DETAILS

Willing to offer rewards to those rebuilding credit

Larry
March 5th, 2018 Manassas, VA DETAILS

I always get prompt, courteous and reliable service from Discover. I had credit cards from other companies, but Discover is the best.

drew dennington
March 5th, 2018 Erie, PA DETAILS

I had an account with Discover for 21 years; they were the first card I received as a freshman in college. Received an email out of the nowhere telling me my account had been closed because they could no longer meet my needs. I had a stellar payment history. My balance was less than 15% of my total credit limit. Repeated attempts for a more informative cancellation reason were met with repeated, "A business decision was made". Their business decision left monthly auto payments unpaid due to the lack of forewarning that my account would be terminated. The reason they get a two out of five stars is that they were my primary card for 21 years prior to the rude and sudden termination of services.

Donna Weitz
February 26th, 2018 Lithia Springs, GA DETAILS

Great card, interest ridiculous. I've been a loyal, credit worthy customer for years, but still pay a high interest rate

FF
February 26th, 2018 DETAILS

Pay in full, so don't care what interest rate is, like cash back bonus

longtall
February 26th, 2018 Roseville, CA DETAILS

My card has been hacked three times. Last month, I called and told them I would be traveling in the Caribbean and they sent me emails every day telling me it was used on an international charge. The day I left the cruise, my card was denied for no reason. The card is thru Synchrony Bank with Sam's Club.

Peggy K.
February 26th, 2018 DETAILS

They have always been very quick in response to my questions and concerns.

KailaS
February 26th, 2018 Reading, PA DETAILS

Accepted everywhere. US- based customer service which actually answers questions and helps resolves issues. Good cash back experience.

Suamhirs Montecristo Piraino-Guzman
February 13th, 2018 Bainbridge Island, WA DETAILS

Discover discriminates against [email protected] I was told after I was approved for my card, that I had to go through security process, which basically they asked me to proof that the social security number I provide them it was mine and I had to proof that I had the legal right to live in the US. The true all american credit card company is racist and by its discriminatory policies furthers aggravates the current political issues in this country.

Michael Villa
February 13th, 2018 Miami, FL DETAILS

Discover has great people working for them! They’re helpful and patient. They truly value their customers. Great company to be a part of!

Susan Knobl
January 22nd, 2018 Reston, VA DETAILS

Love their Rewsrds Program - they make it easy to redeem points.

Jeanine agnello
January 15th, 2018 Rochester, NY DETAILS

They have been great about changing dates and increased credit and cash advances.

Julio Fernandez
January 15th, 2018 DETAILS

Because they cut make changes to your card without letting me know .

Paul Pongrace
January 15th, 2018 Allison Park, PA DETAILS

Never had a problem, excellent customer service

Jan Helling
January 15th, 2018 DETAILS

Prompt customer service. Reasonable interest rate.

Renee Wilson
January 15th, 2018 Oak Creek, WI DETAILS

Money back with purchases is a plus and helps customers on using the card.

Christopher Pentico
January 9th, 2018 Oklahoma City, OK DETAILS

I love the cash back bonus, and they have increased my limit to an amount that is a wonderful cushion if an emergency arose.

Cindy Appel
January 9th, 2018 Cold Brook, NY DETAILS

Great cash back rewards that change monthly so you're not always trying to find one place to earn the rewards

Juakena
January 3rd, 2018 Augusta, GA DETAILS

0 interest for 12 months cash rewards and matching credit rewards

lunker
January 3rd, 2018 Pottsboro, TX DETAILS

accepted everywhere, great terms, easy to read statements

Susan
December 18th, 2017 Broxton, GA DETAILS

Their cash back rewards. You get actual cash, not points applied to something else.

December 18th, 2017 Conway, SC DETAILS

Fair good pricing and reliable. outstanding customer service,

Paul Karo
December 18th, 2017 Sanford, ME' DETAILS

they added over $800,00 in charges this is the biggest rip off company. They should be wearing masks

Robert Maidment
December 18th, 2017 Bakersfield, CA' DETAILS

I have had this card for years and called to review my interest rate and no changes were made. Didn't seem like the operator even looked into it. The card has been paid off for years and won't being using it anytime soon.

DHolcomb
December 11th, 2017 Santa Monica, CA DETAILS

GREAT customer service - great cashback deals

Kimlaree Miller
December 11th, 2017 Hayward, CA DETAILS

Good customer service products are very very good Thank you

GGG