Discover Logo

Discover

8.9

Discover Financial began offering the Discover Card in 1985 and introduced its cash rewards credit card in 1986. Today, Discover is the third-largest credit card brand in the United States and has over 61 million cardholders.

Continue reading for a complete review of this company, as well as Discover card reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Competitive Cash Back Rewards
  • No Annual Fees
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Introductory APR
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Competitive Cash Back Rewards

Discover offers a number of rewards options on a variety of cards:

• The Chrome Student Card offers students cash back each school year if their GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next five years. At the end of the first year, Discover adds up all the cash back earned on the student card and matches it.
  • The Cash Back Credit Card gives a percentage of cash back in the selected quarterly category.
  • The Travel Credit Card offers an automatic match of all the miles earned at the end of your first year with no blackout dates. Miles can be redeemed for travel credits or cash.
  • The Gas & Restaurants Credit Card offers 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants.
  • The NHL Credit Card offers 5% cashback on everyday purchases at different locations each quarter.
  • The Discover Business Credit Card offers 1.5% cash back on every dollar spent on all purchases and your rewards never expire.
  • The Discover Secured Credit Card is unique in that it offers cash back rewards - 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants and unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.

At the end of your first year as a cardholder, Discover adds up all the rewards you earned and matches it.

No Annual Fees

There are no annual fees associated with any of Discover's credit cards, which can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Discover does not charge a foreign transaction fee, which is a nice benefit for frequent travelers.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

Discover offers FICO credit score monitoring for free, and you don't even have to be a Discover cardmember to use this service, and checking will never impact your credit. Through this service you can see a breakdown of your FICO score and the five categories that affect it — payment history, credit utilization, length of credit history, new credit, and credit mix. In addition, you can take an in-depth look into your payment history and credit mix.

Fraud Safeguards

Discover offers several fraud safeguards, including purchase monitoring and the ability for customers to freeze and unfreeze their card in the event that it is lost or stolen.

Note: Many other card issuers offer the ability to freeze and unfreeze your card if necessary.

Introductory APR

Most of Discover's credit cards offer an introductory APR of 0 percent for the first 14 months.

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Discover reviews are positive, awarding the credit card company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews most frequently highlight the following:

• Generous cash back rewards
  • Convenient mobile app
  • Great option for first-time credit borrowers and those who are looking to build credit

Negative reviews are limited, but of these reviews, customers mention that interest rates are high and that cards are not accepted everywhere.

The Bad

• Late Payment Penalties
  • Limited International Card Acceptance
  • Minimal Cardholder Benefits
  • Limited Co-branded Cards

Late Payment Penalties

For the first late payment, Discover does not charge a late payment fee. However, cardholders can expect to be charged a fee for every late payment after the first.

Limited International Card Acceptance

Discover cards are accepted at 99 percent of locations that take credit cards across the United States, and the Discover Global Network offers acceptance in 200 countries and territories across the world.

The Discover network continues to grow, but compared to Visa and Mastercard credit cards, which are accepted almost anywhere internationally, Discover credit card acceptance is limited. Thus, if you travel frequently, Discover may not be the best card option for you.

Minimal Cardholder Benefits

After the first year of being a Discover cardmember, there are minimal cardholder benefits available, especially in comparison to other card issuer rewards cards.
For example, Discover will match all cash back earned in your first year of being a cardholder, but only in the first year.

Limited Co-branded Cards

Discover only has one co-branded card available: the NHL credit card. Other large credit card companies, such as Capital One or American Express, offer many co-branded card options.

Co-branded credit cards offer greater access to rewards at more locations and on a wider range of purchases. Instead of having one retail card providing rewards at specific limited locations, co-branded cards combine retail benefits with the ability to gain points, miles, and rewards on more than just retail purchases.

The Bottom Line

Discover Financial offers several attractive features, including no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, competitive APRs, and a number of rewards programs. You can even benefit from cash back rewards with a Discover secured card, a unique offering in the industry. This is a great option for individuals who would like to build or rebuild their credit, while also reaping some rewards.

If you are a frequent international traveler, Discover may not be the best choice for your credit needs. While a Discover card will likely be accepted at a majority of locations in the United States, international acceptance is still very limited, especially in comparison to Visa or Mastercard credit cards.

The majority of Discover card reviews are positive. Many customers highlight the card issuer's cash back rewards, but some mention that interest rates are higher than you might find elsewhere. However, many customers mention that their first credit card was through Discover, suggesting that it is a good option for first-time credit card users.

View Best Credit Card Companies

Call our recommended rep over at Discover below.

Nona Orlando, FL

Always reliable no matter what happens. Customer service is actually trained. They don't bounce calls around and when you need to resolve something, they are there. Have had them for 13 years now and don't plan on leaving

1 day ago

Frances Harmatuk Baltimore, MD

They have high interest rates, but I love my cashback rewards. Another great way to get Christmas gifts at the end of the year. Even when the mail was late, Discover resent my gift cards with no questions asked.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

The best part of using a Discover credit card is that you get a percentage rebate for purchases. I have never had to call for help -- have always been able to use mail or online for any transactions or communication.

Jun Chen Rockville, MD

I have a credit card from Discover. I use it a lot because it gives me very good rebate from purchase. I can easy to check my account in website. If I have any questions I always get good answer from Discovery.

Kurt Lucas Reston, VA

I have had a Discover card for many years, I love the Cash Back i get just for using the card. It is a great benefit.

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

I used this company a few years ago. I was an overall happy customer and enjoyed the gift cards I got to choose from time to time. The customer service was great and Discover is a pretty great option when needed if a credit card.

Dave Marlowe American Fork, UT

Discover card was one of the first credit cards are used I like the fact that they gave cash back

Maureen Canelo Valdosta, GA

Discover fraud protection is elite and extremely useful. Their app is easy to use and highly informative.

Kelya Reid Tallahassee, FL

great credit card company for beginners like myself. It was easy to make payments through the app, and the rewards were pretty cool

Bing Yeung Riverton, UT

Discover has come in handy for online purchases. First card I got with my spouse! Easy to apply and build credits on. We love the cashbacks and deals they do.

Erna Valcin Tallahassee, FL

This is the very first credit card I have ever had and I love how accessible it is for college students who cannot get approved by their bank. This company teaches me how to take care of my credit and be more responsible

Magnum0970 Cerritos, CA

I’m torn with discover. I really like many of the cash back rewards they offer or other incentives that come with their cards, it just gets frustrating that they are not excepted in more locations and they’re not a more popular card. Because of that I don’t currently have a Discover card.

Thomas Busch Salt Lake City, UT

Signing up with Discover was so easy and simple and such a quick way to build my credit as somebody who didn't have any! Their app is very user friendly and I always feel informed with everything I need to know.

Bria Daley Tallahassee, FL

I like that Discover offers a Student credit card, because it allows me to accumulate your credit score in a timely fashion.

Sarah Marfo Tallahassee, FL

This an amazing credit card. They are honestly the best at giving you the amount needed to get back. Additionally they are good at updating.

Summer Stevenson ,

The website is user friendly and easy to navigate. I appreciate the variety of designs you can use to personalize your card.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

Contrary to popular belief Discover is accepted at most places that accept credit cards. Unfortunately it’s not the type of card that would ever impress or prompt a conversation if you care about that sort of thing. Friendly customer service on par with all other major credit cards.

Liza Wilson ,

Love the convenience of the app. It is such a great benefit and makes it easy to keep track of my credit card payments!

Van M. Orem, UT

I had a Discover credit card for a while. I didn't think they made everything really clear in regard to terms of service. I didn't have great rewards either from it.

RB Park City, UT

I have had a Discover card for years and years. They have always had excellent customer service and are good about verifying questionable charges. It would be nice if they offered extended warrantee on products bought with the card.

Kbb Avondale, AZ

Have used this card for 20+ years. They have been great in work with on the few times I was late with payment. They reversed the fee both times.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

I use the Discover It card. It pays a cash back bonus and has special bonus items each quarter that pay higher amounts. The trick to all credit cards is to pay it off each month. Any credit fees renders any bonuses earned useless as credit fees far outweigh any cash back bonus.

murfday College Station, TX

I like that you get cash back in every purchase. They had specific categories each quarter that give 5% back. They used to have better added value when you redeemed for gift cards. Now it is hardly worth it...I just get it as actual cash back. They are great at catching fraud or potential fraud. Gives me piece of mind. Every interaction with customer service has been positive.

Blake Hirschi Salt Lake City, UT

I didn't have anyone in my life to co-sign onto a credit card with me when getting my first one. I applied for a lot of different cards because I knew it was time to start building my credit. I even applied to a card with the bank I had been with for over a decade and was declined because of my lack of credit history. I was a college graduate with zero student debt, I had a good job and had never carried any consumer debt (obviously) and because of this lack of credit history I was denied everywhere I went until I tried discover. Discover had some convenient and small options for a first timer like me. They were so quick and helpful in setting me up with everything I needed. I've been with them for a while now and have been continually rewarded for my responsibility. They've helped me build my credit to where it is today.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

Plenty of simple credit card options, all with no fees. This makes it easy for a newcomer to build credit early.

Carol Knight Salt Lake City, UT

I have used Discover for many years. I love the % cashback every year and their customer service has always been great!

Jennifer Ashby Lehi, UT

I have been happy with my discover credit cards. I did have an issue not being able to use it at a gas station once.

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

What a terrific credit card! No annual fee, US-based Customer Service reps and good return on their points! I've been a customer since 1978, almost as soon as they opened. Now that they've bought Diners Club, you can even start to use your Discover Card overseas. And, of course, no foreign exchange fees. User-friendly website and they offer quarterly point boosters! It's a great card!

Samoya Calvin Tallahassee, FL

Love my discover credit card . You get cash back every time you spend money. I use mine for things I already plan to buy so I am making money while buying essential items that I need.

Jannis Ly San Antonio, TX

Discover is great for building credit score. The cash back rewards are amazing. It is so easy to make payments and the app is very user friendly.

Alejandro Perez Corpus Christi, TX

My first and only credit card, best student credit card no cap because it gives you amazing rewards for being a beginner credit card. Staple for credit

Brooke Martin Fayetteville, AR

I have never had a problem with my Discover account. It is very easy to transfer money from one account to the other and every time I call they are very helpful.

Caitlin Fayetteville, AR

Discover has the best customer service I have ever experienced, hands down! I cannot give enough praise to this company and their ease in the credit card process.

Summer Meadors Fayetteville, AR

Discover has been extremely helpful in helping me build my credit and building it well. Their customer service is one of the best out of any company I have ever worked with. They are available 24/7 to help and are extremely patient. Applying for a credit card has never been easier or felt more secure.

Natalie D. Logan, UT

Have only been with them for a sorry while, but I love the rewards that come from using my Discover card.

Marlee Jones Tucson, AZ

One of the best credit card rewards out there. Has very high interest rates but we always pay right away so it's no big deal. Love it!

Ryan Larsen Logan, UT

We have had a Discover credit card for over 15 years. They have always been reliable and easy to work with. Their customer service has worked with us through some charge issues and it has always worked out well.

Heather Barney Logan, UT

I have had a Discover Card as long as I can remember. I appreciate Discover card because of the ease of their website. They also have the lowest interest rate of any card I have!

Davis Johnson Pocatello, ID

I have loved discover! Their app is the real winner, super easy and simple to use!

Kent Logan, UT

My first home mortgage refinance was through Discover home loans, and I also has a Discover credit card for several years. Both were good accounts, but when we refinanced again, loan servicing went to a competitor. I eventually closed all my credit accounts except for one, which did not happen to be Discover due to its less universal acceptance.

Elyse Chinnock ,

Discover is amazing! They helped me to get my first credit card. They have 2 student credit cards that are great for students who want to start building credit.

Melissa Providence, UT

Excellent company. Wonderful customer service. Easy to use website and great protection from scammers.

Cdavid St Louis, MO

I love getting cash back on my purchases and the app is very easy to make a payment and use.

Julie Earl Magna, UT

I've been a customer of Discover for over 12 years. Great company with great benefits and customer service!

Paris Salt Lake City, UT

We got the student discover credit card and love it because the first year you have it there is not interest. At least that’s what it was 4 years ago when we got it!

Debbie Stringham Garden City, UT

It nice to get a reward in return for my business. No matter where I use my card.

Dale Howe Logan, UT

Super great customer service! I've been with Discover Card for over 20 years. I love their generous rewards program! Highly recommend!

Caytee Wankier Idaho Falls, ID

Had a Discover Card for over a decade and have never had a problem. Love the 5% back too!

Crystal Logan, UT

I have been a card member for years. I appreciate that when I have a concern they have great customer service. I love cash back and how easy it is to use

Ashlee Bair Los Angeles, CA

We’ve had a Discover card for several years. It’s our number one credit card we use. Love their extra rewards.