Discover

7.6

Discover Financial began offering the Discover Card in 1985 and introduced its cash rewards credit card in 1986. Today, Discover is the third-largest credit card brand in the United States and has over 61 million cardholders.

#1 Chase Logo Chase ›

8.9

Overall
Score

#2 American Express (Amex) Logo American Express (Amex) ›

8.2

Overall
Score

#3 Capital One Logo Capital One ›

8.1

Overall
Score

#4 Discover Logo Discover

7.6

Overall
Score

The Good

• Rewards
  • No Annual Fees
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • APR

Rewards

Discover offers a number of rewards options, including the Discover it Chrome Student Card, the Discover it Cash Credit Card, and the Discover it Miles Credit Card. With the Chrome Student Card, students can get $20 cash back each school year that their GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next five years. At the end of the first year, Discover adds up all the cash back earned on the student card and matches it. The Cash Credit Card gives 5 percent cash back in the selected quarterly category. The Miles Credit Card offers an automatic match of all the miles earned at the end of your first year with no blackout dates. Miles can be redeemed for travel credits or cash.

No Annual Fees

There are no annual fees associated with any of Discover's credit cards, which can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Discover does not charge a foreign transaction fee, which is a nice benefit for frequent travelers.

Free Credit Score

Discover provides its cardholders with the ability to view and monitor their FICO score for free.

Fraud Safeguards

Discover offers several fraud safeguards, including purchase monitoring and the ability for customers to freeze and unfreeze their card in the event that it is lost or stolen.

APR

Most of Discover's credit cards offer an introductory APR of 0 percent for the first fourteen months. Ongoing APRs range from 13.74 to 23.74 percent*, which is competitive within the industry. Visit Site

The Bad

Late Payment Penalties

For the first late payment, Discover does not charge a late payment fee. However, for every late payment after that, the fee is $37.

The Bottom Line

Discover Financial offers several attractive features, including no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, competitive APRs, and a number of rewards programs. However, the company does have a late payment fee in place.

Suamhirs Montecristo Piraino-Guzman

February 12th, 2018 Bainbridge Island, WA DETAILS

Discover discriminates against Latin@s. I was told after I was approved for my card, that I had to go through security process, which basically they asked me to proof that the social security number I provide them it was mine and I had to proof that I had the legal right to live in the US. The true all american credit card company is racist and by its discriminatory policies furthers aggravates the current political issues in this country.

Michael Villa

February 12th, 2018 Miami, FL DETAILS

Discover has great people working for them! They’re helpful and patient. They truly value their customers. Great company to be a part of!

Susan Knobl

January 22nd, 2018 Reston, VA DETAILS

Love their Rewsrds Program - they make it easy to redeem points.

Jeanine agnello

January 15th, 2018 Rochester, NY DETAILS

They have been great about changing dates and increased credit and cash advances.

Julio Fernandez

January 15th, 2018 DETAILS

Because they cut make changes to your card without letting me know .

Paul Pongrace

January 15th, 2018 Allison Park, PA DETAILS

Never had a problem, excellent customer service

Jan Helling

January 15th, 2018 DETAILS

Prompt customer service. Reasonable interest rate.

Renee Wilson

January 15th, 2018 Oak Creek, WI DETAILS

Money back with purchases is a plus and helps customers on using the card.

Christopher Pentico

January 9th, 2018 Oklahoma City, OK DETAILS

I love the cash back bonus, and they have increased my limit to an amount that is a wonderful cushion if an emergency arose.

Cindy Appel

January 9th, 2018 Cold Brook, NY DETAILS

Great cash back rewards that change monthly so you're not always trying to find one place to earn the rewards

Juakena

January 3rd, 2018 Augusta, GA DETAILS

0 interest for 12 months cash rewards and matching credit rewards

lunker

January 3rd, 2018 Pottsboro, TX DETAILS

accepted everywhere, great terms, easy to read statements

Susan

December 18th, 2017 Broxton, GA DETAILS

Their cash back rewards. You get actual cash, not points applied to something else.

December 18th, 2017 Conway, SC DETAILS

Fair good pricing and reliable. outstanding customer service,

Paul Karo

December 18th, 2017 Sanford, ME' DETAILS

they added over $800,00 in charges this is the biggest rip off company. They should be wearing masks

Robert Maidment

December 18th, 2017 Bakersfield, CA' DETAILS

I have had this card for years and called to review my interest rate and no changes were made. Didn't seem like the operator even looked into it. The card has been paid off for years and won't being using it anytime soon.

DHolcomb

December 11th, 2017 Santa Monica, CA DETAILS

GREAT customer service - great cashback deals

Kimlaree Miller

December 11th, 2017 Hayward, CA DETAILS

Good customer service products are very very good Thank you

GGG

December 11th, 2017 Longview, TX DETAILS

Useful everywhere, lower apr rates.. 0% for a year

December 11th, 2017 Honolulu, HI DETAILS

I gave them 5 stars for the added security protection and cash back.

Judith Janacek

December 11th, 2017 Melbourne, FL DETAILS

I love Discover because I get payback $$ everytime I use my card. Also, every quarter they have you sign up for 5% back at a couple of places that you use all the time. Also, gives my credit score every month on my statement.

Stacy

December 11th, 2017 Yorktown, VA DETAILS

I have the student discover card and I pay no interest. I get cashback from purchases that I make which can be used towards anything, even my monthly bill. In addition, I get free FICO and social security number monitoring all for free.

Lindsey

December 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I had Discover Credit Card as a student. They have a special student credit card, so it gave me rewards on certain things I use a lot as a student. I think it's a great starter credit card.

Jessica Lynn Heady

November 29th, 2017 Mantua, NJ DETAILS

Discover is my first credit card I’ve had, so I can’t compare it to other credit cards. That being said, I absolutely love Discover! I am on the Discover Student plan and it’s honestly the best; getting cash back whenever I use my card for gas or restaurants is amazing. Being a college student, food and gas is where all my money goes to anyway, so why not just get cash back for it!? I’ve very little trouble with them, but when I have had trouble Customer Service was super nice and helped me with everything. They even answer on Twitter, which is a HUGE plus for me. Lastly, their app is so easy to use and understand. It’s easy to see every purchase you’ve made and it’s easy to pay your bill right in the app! 10/10 highly recommend.

Alex Rogerson

November 29th, 2017 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

We consolidated our credit cards from an old business we owned into one with Discover. We had no interest for a year and were able to get out of all credit card debt in half the time. They also do a rotating 5% cash back to different stores, so that is fun to get cash back at places we already go to all the time - such as Target, Home Depot and Costco.

Reverend Christapher McDonnell

November 28th, 2017 Arlington, T DETAILS

Exceptional Customer Service, fair and clearly stated terms and conditions, low interest rates. Best card by far

Tammy Vines

November 28th, 2017 Cherry Hill, NJ DETAILS

No annual fee, case back, excellent service

FLORENCE DORNAN

November 20th, 2017 Arlington, TX' DETAILS

Discover has a good rewards program and they often pick certain companies or subjects to increase rewards during a certain length of time.

Catrina L. Smith

November 15th, 2017 DETAILS

I really like Discover for several reasons. Firstly, the interest rate is low whereas I can see my debt decreasing, and this gives me a sense of comfort knowing that my debt is diminishing. Secondly, because of this, I have a low monthly payment which allows me to make higher monthly payments over the requirement to pay off my debt. Thirdly, I have several options to pay my bill without being forced to talk to an automatic system; I prefer to pay over the phone because that is more suitable for me. Additionally, Discover does not have a convenience fee when I pay by phone, and I am grateful for that. I am allowed to speak to a person which makes me feel as if I am priority and important. Fourthly, the customer service representatives are professional, attentive, and patient, and lastly, when I went through a financial hardship, Discover was understanding and was patient and kind towards me. These are all the reasons why I will continue to use Discover and why I will recommend anyone to choose Discover. I was at peace when I obtained my credit card with this company because a family member referred me, and she expressed to me how much she loves Discover. My family member has very high standards, and for Discover to meet those standards, it says a lot. I have been a Discover credit card holder since the spring of 2014, and I look forward to continue being a proud, happy, and satisfied customer. I would love to do a commercial advertising its products and services.

Shalese

November 13th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Great for college students you get $20 cash back every year you have above a 3.0

Sandi Westover

November 9th, 2017 Fremont, CA DETAILS

I don't use Discover as often as my Visa. I pay my credit cards off each month so I don't look at interest rates. I only look at what rewards and perks they give. Discover is free, no annual fees. Discover gives cash back. And each quarter it gives 5% back in certain categories. You have to sign up each quarter to get the 5% rewards so it's not automatic. Once you earn cash back you can redeem it for gift cards, and some gift cards come with an extra $ bonus. Discover is not often taken in foreign countries so that's a drawback. When I've traveled abroad I need my Visa. One thing I don't like about their statements is that is organized by category instead of by date. If I could choose the format I wouldn't mind. But it only comes by category. When I go to balance my credit card statement with my Quicken it's all out of order and harder to do. It's easy for college students to get Discover cards which is a good way for students to start building credit. Overall I would recommend it as a first credit card.

Tiffany

November 8th, 2017 Chicago, IL DETAILS

Great card, I stared out with a generous credit balance, the mobile app is so easy to use, the cashback offers actually apply to things I buy and the 1 time I had to call because I lost my card was super quick, I love it.

Kristen Goode

November 7th, 2017 Madison, AL DETAILS

I have credit cards with six different institutions, and Discover has the absolute best customer service. The automated system gets my information and gets me to a representative quickly, and I don’t have to click through 40 different menus. I’ve also never had to wait more than thirty seconds for someone to answer. The representatives are always incredibly helpful and nice, and we have great conversations while still handling the business I need to in a timely manner. To be honest, I enjoy calling Discover customer service, and I dread all other customer service calls (ex- the cable box in my bedroom hasn’t worked in two months. I just don’t have the desire to deal with the cable company's customer service). Bottom line: Over the past 5 years I’ve realized that Discover card’s customer service is even better than the TV commercials say it is.

Ann

November 7th, 2017 DETAILS

Terrible. I was approved for a 5k limit. I decided to take it to use for a project on my home because the interest rate was lower than the builder supply finance offer. When I got my card, the limit was $2k. I called and they said they had made a mistake when they told me $5k, but they would review my credit every month and increase the limit of applicable. I used my card the first month and paid the balance in full on the due date via ACH. I noticed a week later that I had zero credit available, despite paying the balance in full. I called Discover and the customer service rep could not give me an answer. After 3 more calls, I was transferred to an “account specialist” named Tim who told me it could be two weeks before the credit would be available due to a security warning. I asked what security warning and what prompted it. He refused to elaborate, was very rude and condescending. He went so far as to tell me “your credit history has nothing to do with how much you are approved for.” I took that statement as indication that Discover does not care about qualified employees, nor do they care about customer service.

Dale Zollinger

November 5th, 2017 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Can use everywhere. Great service. High intetest rates.

Connie Mayer

November 2nd, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I really like Discover. I like the money-back incentive for your purchases. They have good representatives too. They have always seemed like a reliable company to me.

Patti N

October 16th, 2017 Albuquerque, NM

I love the 5% cash back rewards. I just wish it was accepted everywhere.

chris

October 16th, 2017 Schenactady, NY

The card is not accepted in several places where we shop. The interest rates are too high. The customer dispute process is in need of improvement.

Gordon Swanson

October 16th, 2017 Idaho Falls, ID

Excellent customer service and speak English

Brissa Jensen

October 10th, 2017 San Mateo, CA

I just love this card all around, and the easy to use app for keeping tabs on my balance.