Discover Financial began offering the Discover Card in 1985 and introduced its cash rewards credit card in 1986. Today, Discover is the third-largest credit card brand in the United States and has over 61 million cardholders.

#1 Capital One chevron_right
#2 American Express (Amex) chevron_right

The Good

• Rewards
  • No Annual Fees
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • APR

Rewards

Discover offers a number of rewards options, including the Discover it Chrome Student Card, the Discover it Cash Credit Card, and the Discover it Miles Credit Card. With the Chrome Student Card, students can get $20 cash back each school year that their GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next five years. At the end of the first year, Discover adds up all the cash back earned on the student card and matches it. The Cash Credit Card gives 5 percent cash back in the selected quarterly category. The Miles Credit Card offers an automatic match of all the miles earned at the end of your first year with no blackout dates. Miles can be redeemed for travel credits or cash.

No Annual Fees

There are no annual fees associated with any of Discover's credit cards, which can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Discover does not charge a foreign transaction fee, which is a nice benefit for frequent travelers.

Free Credit Score

Discover provides its cardholders with the ability to view and monitor their FICO score for free.

Fraud Safeguards

Discover offers several fraud safeguards, including purchase monitoring and the ability for customers to freeze and unfreeze their card in the event that it is lost or stolen.

APR

Most of Discover's credit cards offer an introductory APR of 0 percent for the first fourteen months. Ongoing APRs range from 13.74 to 23.74 percent*, which is competitive within the industry. Visit Site

The Bad

Late Payment Penalties

For the first late payment, Discover does not charge a late payment fee. However, for every late payment after that, the fee is $37.

The Bottom Line

Discover Financial offers several attractive features, including no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, competitive APRs, and a number of rewards programs. However, the company does have a late payment fee in place.

Rischelle Mikkelson
October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I liked our Discover Card well enough. They were easy to get approved for and had a good interest rate. I ended up switching from them because they didn't have as good of a reward program as some of our other cards.

sydney clark
October 14th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I am grateful for discover giving me a student card to build my credit! It’s the best!!

Cameron Clark
October 14th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I like the Discover card rewards but the app is a bit difficult to use, especially in comparison to Chase.

bailey jo
October 14th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Great card that I was always able to use anywhere and anytime. Their rewards program is awesome as well.

Zac Marx
October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS

Discover is pretty great. I really enjoy the student benefits for textbooks. The credit card rates are also great with awesome rewards for members on purchases and card holders.

Sarah Watters
October 7th, 2019 Quinlan, TX DETAILS

Discover is the card I use for almost all of my purchases. I love that I can apply my cash back to my Amazon purchase so that it seems like I get free merchandise rather than just cash.

Amy Boren
October 4th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

This was a great credit card with lots of great benefits. We decided we had too many cards and consolidated what we were using and this was one of the accounts that we closed.

Don Boren
October 4th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

There were always a few locations that wouldn't accept discover card. Their merchant fees are also higher.

Ellen Morris
October 4th, 2019 Potomac, MD DETAILS

I have loved my discover credit card because it has given me some good rewards, but they are not accepted internationally in as many places. This is a draw back for me because I travel often and wanted a card that had no annual fee and was still widely accepted - because of this I went and found a new credit card that I use a bit more often than my discover.

Dustin Marx
October 4th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS

We have had our Discover credit card longer than any of our other credit cards. The biggest disadvantage of the Discover credit card compared to Visa and Mastercard credit cards is that it is accepted by fewer merchants than those two. However, there are some nice perks of the Discover card. One we really like is the ability to get cash back at several vendors (including Wal-Mart and King Soopers and other Kroger grocery stores) without any charge (as long as the balance is paid in full each month). We haven't needed to use an ATM inside the United States for years with this easy access to fee-less cash. Discover has offered cash back on purchases for a very long time and offers much higher rates of cash back in different categories each quarter. Discover cash back is even more valuable when used to purchase gift cards from Discover instead of tasking the cash. We have elected to receive $50 gift cards instead of $40 or $45 cash many times in the past, making the reward more valuable. We choose gift cards for places we'd go to anyway and Discover makes it easy to do this because there are so many options for gift cards. One final Discover benefit we appreciate is the inclusion of credit score and report details with our monthly statements.

Garrett Mingus
October 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I really like using my discover credit card, as a student it is a good option for me, because there is no annual fee. In addition, every few months there is a special deal where you can get up to 3 - 5 % back on certain purchases during that time frame such as grocery stores, eating out, entertainment, etc.

Tara Marx
October 2nd, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS

We have had Discover card for years. We find that we can use the Discover card everywhere we shop.

Miles Strother
September 30th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I got my Discover card while I was a student, which was a great way to build credit. They offer plenty of perks to students and pretty decent cash back with no annual fees.

Aliza Henline
September 30th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love how easy it was for me to set up my first credit card as a college student. It gave me no stress and I feel confident about my credit!

kristin Gneiting
September 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have the Blue Discover Cash Back card and love it. If you are going to have a credit card why not use it to your advantage? The first year they automatically match all the cash back you earn and there is no limit to how much they will match. We feel confident with Discover and will never go back to any other credit card. It just works for our family.

Joy Hill
September 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have about 5 credit card that I use for business and personal expenses. Discover has - HANDS DOWN - the best customer service. Love the chat feature. If there's an issue, they resolve it immediately - no transferring me around to different departments.

Darrin Henry
September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have had a Discover card for years although I don't use it much because I get better points with other cards I have its nice to have it when I need it.

Randy Scoville
September 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I've had a discover card for over 10 years. Their rewards card had a good cash back, so we added Discover to our credit card files.

Gloria Engdahl
August 26th, 2019 Racine, WI DETAILS

Discover is a wonderful credit card due to the fact there is no annual fee, it’s not too hard be approved and the rewards program is great! Also their customer service is amazing! You always talk to a live representative all the time!

Stacy Kainer
July 22nd, 2019 Grants Pass, OR DETAILS

Using Discover is one of the best decisions I have ever made. Their customer service goes above and beyond! They care deeply about their customers. I made a mistake recently by paying my bill right before my automatic payment date. This resulted in a double charge so I asked if that could be reversed. They not only sent my money back, but they gave a courtesy refund amount. I am beyond thankful and will always use Discover, knowing they will always be caring and helpful!

Paige Baldwin
July 11th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS

I really love my discover and it is easily my most used card. The staff is so helpful in answering any questions or concerns I have straight away. I never questionable about discover like I do with some other companies.

Haley Baldwin
July 10th, 2019 DETAILS

I use my Discover card often and it is definitely my go to card. I appreciate the good customer service this company provides anytime a problem arises.

Kaitlin Ashcroft
June 20th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Did a lot of research and just got a credit card with Discovery. I haven’t had any problems since and they made it so easy to understand what I was getting into.

Nicholas
June 18th, 2019 Lake Villa, IL DETAILS

Good cashback incentive on purchases. High rates if payments are missed so be sure to pay on time.

Shanna L Hesterly
June 13th, 2019 McHenry, IL DETAILS

I had a discover card for years and it was ok. Then recently I changed the due date from the 18th to the 25th. However they only did one step in the process which was to cancel the 18th date. I was very clear about wanting automatic payments on the 25th . Now a month later, they are charging me late fees and refused to take them off. I've always made my monthly payments with them and have been a customer for 15 plus years. When they called they kept "explaining" that it was my fault instead of how they could fix the situation. I begged them to set up automatic payments again but they refused to take off the late fees. Very disappointed with their customer service.

Ken Francis
June 12th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love this bank. It is very useful and very easy to use. It has great rates and benefits. I love my discover card. I love it.

Tess L
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I've had my discover card for less than a year, but it has worked well so far! They have bonuses each month for different categories, and for referring a friend.

Nathan
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Discover is a great credit card company. Their customer service is superb and their cash back ain’t bad either.

Mike Liddle
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

The app is really easy to use, the card service is good. The 5% bonus is usually things I use so it’s great.

Isaac
June 10th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I just helped my daughter get a credit card through discover because they are some of the best for college. You get 2% of what you spend on food and gas back each month and after a year they double that. And it’s no interest for the first year. I have this credit card and so it is a great first credit card for her.

Rebecca
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Love my student card. The cash back bonuses make me feel way less guilty, and there is so much visibility with their online system

Jacob Shaner
June 10th, 2019

My family has used Discover for several years. It has been the best credit card we have used so far. We get really good cash back on all of our purchases. The downside is that some merchants don't accept Discover, but they will accept other cards with Visa or Mastercard.

Anne Sainsbury
June 10th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS

I loved signing up for Discover! The benefits that came with getting this car was amazing, plus my sister-in-law who recommend that I get this CC also got points for her personal one! Yay free money!

Kimberly LeBaron
June 6th, 2019 Delta, UT

Discover is a great company for credit cards. They have a plan specifically for students that costs you nothing if you make you’re payments on time. Really awesome for building credit. Great customer service too.

Grant Lofgreen
June 5th, 2019 Provo, UT

Absolute best beginner cards. Low fees and GREAT rewards. Makes credit score building accessible to all. Love it.

Dale L Farmer
June 4th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS

I use this card the most of all my cards. I appreciate the specials they have each quarter.

Teresa LeBaron
June 3rd, 2019 Lake Villa, IL

Cashback bonus is a good feature plus the credit score checker. Good credit card overall.

Kimberli Shaner
June 3rd, 2019 Meridian, ID DETAILS

Great company. Love the rewards. The website is easy to use and the customer service is top notch.

Christopher Dutson
June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love discover's rewards and cash back programs and the high interest rates for discover banking.

Brittany Bray
June 3rd, 2019 Springville, UT

I have had a discover card for the last 15 years. I love all the benefits of getting points back. They also have amazing customer service!

Christine Farmer
May 29th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS

I've had a Discover credit card for years. What I really like about it is the variety of ways to use rewards. The choices to order gift cards or products at discount, or use rewards to pay on Amazon are very useful. My other credit cards seem much more limiting in rewards choices. They also have a great website to monitor areas of credit card use and just to maneuver to find information.

E S
May 28th, 2019 Meridian, ID DETAILS

Cash back bonus is good. Easy to use website. They had errors in their site’s calculation of amount due. Called and they took down the tool immediately and fixed, but did not admit their error. Great otherwise.

BLF
May 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

This was a good option for us when we needed to transfer some high interest cards to a new credit card with no interest. We were able to pay down our debt and still make purchases with great perks.

Reese
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My Discover Card works well for me. It has a great rate and also a rewards program that gives me the ability to go on personal vacations with my family. There are low fees and easy way to monitor my activity and keep things current with customer support.

Dean
May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

My Discover Card is amazing! The benefits have been a fun experience because of their variety and the cash back option is great around Christmas time. I will always keep my Discover Card because of the benefits.

Jennifer
May 13th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I would consider my Discover Credit Card as the middle of the pack. This is mostly because I think the rewards are just so-so. The annual fees are low or non existent. They are great with customer service because I lost my card and had some fraudulent charges that were immediately resolved.

Ashley
May 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

The first year owning my Discover Credit Card was awesome. They will Automatically match all the cash back you earn at the end of your first year with a 0%APR. I really appreciate the no Annual Fee. I don't think there is a better card out there to have in your wallet!

Rich Roberts
April 5th, 2019 Rockland, MA DETAILS

Discover card has the best client services ever. The app is also extremely friendly with a wide range of services. I have a Visa and American Exoress cards but, Discover is the card I prefer above them all

A.
February 14th, 2019 Ninety Six, SC DETAILS

Ive been with them a long time and its an easy card to ise. I dont like that the interest rate is sooo high and its hard to talk with customer service about issues like that.

Shauna Horne
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We signed up for a Discover card a few years ago because of their incentive programs. We really like their cash back rewards and every six months they have additional places we can go to get more rewards. We like to use our cash back to pay down our balance. They have an easy to use call service so we can find out our rewards and pay our balance.