Discover

7.8

Discover Financial began offering the Discover Card in 1985 and introduced its cash rewards credit card in 1986. Today, Discover is the third-largest credit card brand in the United States and has over 61 million cardholders.

The Good

• Rewards
  • No Annual Fees
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • APR

Rewards

Discover offers a number of rewards options, including the Discover it Chrome Student Card, the Discover it Cash Credit Card, and the Discover it Miles Credit Card. With the Chrome Student Card, students can get $20 cash back each school year that their GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next five years. At the end of the first year, Discover adds up all the cash back earned on the student card and matches it. The Cash Credit Card gives 5 percent cash back in the selected quarterly category. The Miles Credit Card offers an automatic match of all the miles earned at the end of your first year with no blackout dates. Miles can be redeemed for travel credits or cash.

No Annual Fees

There are no annual fees associated with any of Discover's credit cards, which can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Discover does not charge a foreign transaction fee, which is a nice benefit for frequent travelers.

Free Credit Score

Discover provides its cardholders with the ability to view and monitor their FICO score for free.

Fraud Safeguards

Discover offers several fraud safeguards, including purchase monitoring and the ability for customers to freeze and unfreeze their card in the event that it is lost or stolen.

APR

Most of Discover's credit cards offer an introductory APR of 0 percent for the first fourteen months. Ongoing APRs range from 13.74 to 23.74 percent*, which is competitive within the industry. Visit Site

The Bad

Late Payment Penalties

For the first late payment, Discover does not charge a late payment fee. However, for every late payment after that, the fee is $37.

The Bottom Line

Discover Financial offers several attractive features, including no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, competitive APRs, and a number of rewards programs. However, the company does have a late payment fee in place.

DHolcomb

December 11th, 2017 Santa Monica, CA DETAILS

GREAT customer service - great cashback deals

Kimlaree Miller

December 11th, 2017 Hayward, CA DETAILS

Good customer service products are very very good Thank you

GGG

December 11th, 2017 Longview, TX DETAILS

Useful everywhere, lower apr rates.. 0% for a year

December 11th, 2017 Honolulu, HI DETAILS

I gave them 5 stars for the added security protection and cash back.

Judith Janacek

December 11th, 2017 Melbourne, FL DETAILS

I love Discover because I get payback $$ everytime I use my card. Also, every quarter they have you sign up for 5% back at a couple of places that you use all the time. Also, gives my credit score every month on my statement.

Stacy

December 11th, 2017 Yorktown, VA DETAILS

I have the student discover card and I pay no interest. I get cashback from purchases that I make which can be used towards anything, even my monthly bill. In addition, I get free FICO and social security number monitoring all for free.

Lindsey

December 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I had Discover Credit Card as a student. They have a special student credit card, so it gave me rewards on certain things I use a lot as a student. I think it's a great starter credit card.

Jessica Lynn Heady

November 29th, 2017 Mantua, NJ DETAILS

Discover is my first credit card I’ve had, so I can’t compare it to other credit cards. That being said, I absolutely love Discover! I am on the Discover Student plan and it’s honestly the best; getting cash back whenever I use my card for gas or restaurants is amazing. Being a college student, food and gas is where all my money goes to anyway, so why not just get cash back for it!? I’ve very little trouble with them, but when I have had trouble Customer Service was super nice and helped me with everything. They even answer on Twitter, which is a HUGE plus for me. Lastly, their app is so easy to use and understand. It’s easy to see every purchase you’ve made and it’s easy to pay your bill right in the app! 10/10 highly recommend.

Alex Rogerson

November 29th, 2017 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

We consolidated our credit cards from an old business we owned into one with Discover. We had no interest for a year and were able to get out of all credit card debt in half the time. They also do a rotating 5% cash back to different stores, so that is fun to get cash back at places we already go to all the time - such as Target, Home Depot and Costco.

Reverend Christapher McDonnell

November 28th, 2017 Arlington, T DETAILS

Exceptional Customer Service, fair and clearly stated terms and conditions, low interest rates. Best card by far

Tammy Vines

November 28th, 2017 Cherry Hill, NJ DETAILS

No annual fee, case back, excellent service

FLORENCE DORNAN

November 20th, 2017 Arlington, TX' DETAILS

Discover has a good rewards program and they often pick certain companies or subjects to increase rewards during a certain length of time.

Catrina L. Smith

November 15th, 2017 DETAILS

I really like Discover for several reasons. Firstly, the interest rate is low whereas I can see my debt decreasing, and this gives me a sense of comfort knowing that my debt is diminishing. Secondly, because of this, I have a low monthly payment which allows me to make higher monthly payments over the requirement to pay off my debt. Thirdly, I have several options to pay my bill without being forced to talk to an automatic system; I prefer to pay over the phone because that is more suitable for me. Additionally, Discover does not have a convenience fee when I pay by phone, and I am grateful for that. I am allowed to speak to a person which makes me feel as if I am priority and important. Fourthly, the customer service representatives are professional, attentive, and patient, and lastly, when I went through a financial hardship, Discover was understanding and was patient and kind towards me. These are all the reasons why I will continue to use Discover and why I will recommend anyone to choose Discover. I was at peace when I obtained my credit card with this company because a family member referred me, and she expressed to me how much she loves Discover. My family member has very high standards, and for Discover to meet those standards, it says a lot. I have been a Discover credit card holder since the spring of 2014, and I look forward to continue being a proud, happy, and satisfied customer. I would love to do a commercial advertising its products and services.

Shalese

November 13th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Great for college students you get $20 cash back every year you have above a 3.0

Sandi Westover

November 9th, 2017 Fremont, CA DETAILS

I don't use Discover as often as my Visa. I pay my credit cards off each month so I don't look at interest rates. I only look at what rewards and perks they give. Discover is free, no annual fees. Discover gives cash back. And each quarter it gives 5% back in certain categories. You have to sign up each quarter to get the 5% rewards so it's not automatic. Once you earn cash back you can redeem it for gift cards, and some gift cards come with an extra $ bonus. Discover is not often taken in foreign countries so that's a drawback. When I've traveled abroad I need my Visa. One thing I don't like about their statements is that is organized by category instead of by date. If I could choose the format I wouldn't mind. But it only comes by category. When I go to balance my credit card statement with my Quicken it's all out of order and harder to do. It's easy for college students to get Discover cards which is a good way for students to start building credit. Overall I would recommend it as a first credit card.

Tiffany

November 8th, 2017 Chicago, IL DETAILS

Great card, I stared out with a generous credit balance, the mobile app is so easy to use, the cashback offers actually apply to things I buy and the 1 time I had to call because I lost my card was super quick, I love it.

Kristen Goode

November 7th, 2017 Madison, AL DETAILS

I have credit cards with six different institutions, and Discover has the absolute best customer service. The automated system gets my information and gets me to a representative quickly, and I don’t have to click through 40 different menus. I’ve also never had to wait more than thirty seconds for someone to answer. The representatives are always incredibly helpful and nice, and we have great conversations while still handling the business I need to in a timely manner. To be honest, I enjoy calling Discover customer service, and I dread all other customer service calls (ex- the cable box in my bedroom hasn’t worked in two months. I just don’t have the desire to deal with the cable company's customer service). Bottom line: Over the past 5 years I’ve realized that Discover card’s customer service is even better than the TV commercials say it is.

Ann

November 7th, 2017 DETAILS

Terrible. I was approved for a 5k limit. I decided to take it to use for a project on my home because the interest rate was lower than the builder supply finance offer. When I got my card, the limit was $2k. I called and they said they had made a mistake when they told me $5k, but they would review my credit every month and increase the limit of applicable. I used my card the first month and paid the balance in full on the due date via ACH. I noticed a week later that I had zero credit available, despite paying the balance in full. I called Discover and the customer service rep could not give me an answer. After 3 more calls, I was transferred to an “account specialist” named Tim who told me it could be two weeks before the credit would be available due to a security warning. I asked what security warning and what prompted it. He refused to elaborate, was very rude and condescending. He went so far as to tell me “your credit history has nothing to do with how much you are approved for.” I took that statement as indication that Discover does not care about qualified employees, nor do they care about customer service.

Dale Zollinger

November 5th, 2017 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Can use everywhere. Great service. High intetest rates.

Connie Mayer

November 2nd, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I really like Discover. I like the money-back incentive for your purchases. They have good representatives too. They have always seemed like a reliable company to me.

Patti N

October 16th, 2017 Albuquerque, NM

I love the 5% cash back rewards. I just wish it was accepted everywhere.

chris

October 16th, 2017 Schenactady, NY

The card is not accepted in several places where we shop. The interest rates are too high. The customer dispute process is in need of improvement.

Gordon Swanson

October 16th, 2017 Idaho Falls, ID

Excellent customer service and speak English

Laura A Foster

October 6th, 2017 Los Angeles, CA

We recently went out of the country. We took our Discover with us, and wow are we glad we had other cards as well. It didn't work once. Not. Once. We informed Discover that we were travelling before we left, and got a message that we didn't need to do anything, that the card would work. Well, it never worked. We tried it at numerous merchants in France and England, all of whom said they took it, but it literally was declined at every single location. Fair warning...it might say it will work, but take another card with you.

Gustavo Fernández

October 5th, 2017 Pompano Beach, FL

I live in Florida and I was affected by hurricane Irma! They help me to consolidate my payments after this crisis

Jase Ray

October 5th, 2017

Discover has always gone above and beyond with any of my needs. From lost or stolen cards to customization of new card design. I love how it feels like I’m always talking to an old friend with every call. They truly own my concern and seem to always quickly address my concern within the call.

atanu sen

October 2nd, 2017 Chicago, IL

gives awesome cashback, the more I use this card, the more money I make with cashback

Cathy Lawson

October 2nd, 2017

I have had no problems. Discover always keeps me updated with current statements, and if anything out of the way happens, they are quick to inform me. The APR is comparable with other cards, so I have not felt it to be prudent to leave.

[email protected]

October 2nd, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

Great intro 0% interest for 14 months offer. 0% APR for 14 months after first balance transfer. No annual fee, no over limit fee, no late payment free on first incident, and 5% cash back when used at great merchants...ie amazon. Great customer service and very responsive to any questions you may have. Just a "class act" throughout.

Silva Jelebinkov

September 25th, 2017

US based customer service. Earning points. No annual fee. Increases credit limit without my request.

Gloria Karels

September 25th, 2017 Minneapolis, MN

Not happy with the interst rate, I have paid on time and used my card a lot. Intersest could go down a bit.

Patrick&Debbie

September 25th, 2017 Las Vegas, NV

Great customer service and great fraud protection

Deborah Winter

September 25th, 2017 Breese, IL

Customer service and perks !! Extra value with options !!

Mike Lisanke

September 16th, 2017 Durham, NC

I've had a Discover Card almost since they started doing business. I've always been please by their Customer Service... especially, their responsibility and involving me to help to keep my account+credit secure. Recently (after Equifax hack) Discover Card enabled more services to help maintain a watchful eye on our credit. I want to personally thank them for the wonderful services they provide.

Clark Yarbrough

September 14th, 2017

Great customer seevice and reasonble rates. Easy acess when im on the go and able to navigate through the mobile app.

John Wardlow

September 14th, 2017 Sugar Land, TX

Cooperative and responsive; mostly American agents.

Jody

September 14th, 2017 Ukiah, CA

generally can access information easily, grace on a missed payment if done quickly

September 14th, 2017 Lansdale, PA

They take care of all your card in case of theft. Monitoring is great

Bill Waddell

September 14th, 2017 Fayetteville, NC

Everything always simple to use and understand

CHARYN CADMUS

September 14th, 2017 Ypsilanti, MI

Not willing to renegotiate a lower interest rate.