Best Company Guarantee Discover Logo

Discover

7.4

LAST UPDATED: September 26th, 2022

Discover Financial began offering the Discover Card in 1985 and introduced its cash rewards credit card in 1986. Today, Discover is the third-largest credit card brand in the United States and has over 61 million cardholders.

Continue reading for a complete review of this company, as well as Discover card reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Competitive Cash Back Rewards
  • No Annual Fees
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Introductory APR
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Competitive Cash Back Rewards

Discover offers a number of rewards options on a variety of cards:

• The Chrome Student Card offers students cash back each school year if their GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next five years. At the end of the first year, Discover adds up all the cash back earned on the student card and matches it.
  • The Cash Back Credit Card gives a percentage of cash back in the selected quarterly category.
  • The Travel Credit Card offers an automatic match of all the miles earned at the end of your first year with no blackout dates. Miles can be redeemed for travel credits or cash.
  • The Gas & Restaurants Credit Card offers 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants.
  • The NHL Credit Card offers 5% cashback on everyday purchases at different locations each quarter.
  • The Discover Business Credit Card offers 1.5% cash back on every dollar spent on all purchases and your rewards never expire.
  • The Discover Secured Credit Card is unique in that it offers cash back rewards - 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants and unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.

At the end of your first year as a cardholder, Discover adds up all the rewards you earned and matches it.

No Annual Fees

There are no annual fees associated with any of Discover's credit cards, which can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Discover does not charge a foreign transaction fee, which is a nice benefit for frequent travelers.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

Discover offers FICO credit score monitoring for free, and you don't even have to be a Discover cardmember to use this service, and checking will never impact your credit. Through this service you can see a breakdown of your FICO score and the five categories that affect it — payment history, credit utilization, length of credit history, new credit, and credit mix. In addition, you can take an in-depth look into your payment history and credit mix.

Fraud Safeguards

Discover offers several fraud safeguards, including purchase monitoring and the ability for customers to freeze and unfreeze their card in the event that it is lost or stolen.

Note: Many other card issuers offer the ability to freeze and unfreeze your card if necessary.

Introductory APR

Most of Discover's credit cards offer an introductory APR of 0 percent for the first 14 months.

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Discover reviews are positive, awarding the credit card company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews most frequently highlight the following:

• Generous cash back rewards
  • Convenient mobile app
  • Great option for first-time credit borrowers and those who are looking to build credit

Negative reviews are limited, but of these reviews, customers mention that interest rates are high and that cards are not accepted everywhere.

The Bad

• Late Payment Penalties
  • Limited International Card Acceptance
  • Minimal Cardholder Benefits
  • Limited Co-branded Cards

Late Payment Penalties

For the first late payment, Discover does not charge a late payment fee. However, cardholders can expect to be charged a fee for every late payment after the first.

Limited International Card Acceptance

Discover cards are accepted at 99 percent of locations that take credit cards across the United States, and the Discover Global Network offers acceptance in 200 countries and territories across the world.

The Discover network continues to grow, but compared to Visa and Mastercard credit cards, which are accepted almost anywhere internationally, Discover credit card acceptance is limited. Thus, if you travel frequently, Discover may not be the best card option for you.

Minimal Cardholder Benefits

After the first year of being a Discover cardmember, there are minimal cardholder benefits available, especially in comparison to other card issuer rewards cards.
For example, Discover will match all cash back earned in your first year of being a cardholder, but only in the first year.

Limited Co-branded Cards

Discover only has one co-branded card available: the NHL credit card. Other large credit card companies, such as Capital One or American Express, offer many co-branded card options.

Co-branded credit cards offer greater access to rewards at more locations and on a wider range of purchases. Instead of having one retail card providing rewards at specific limited locations, co-branded cards combine retail benefits with the ability to gain points, miles, and rewards on more than just retail purchases.

The Bottom Line

Discover Financial offers several attractive features, including no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, competitive APRs, and a number of rewards programs. You can even benefit from cash back rewards with a Discover secured card, a unique offering in the industry. This is a great option for individuals who would like to build or rebuild their credit, while also reaping some rewards.

If you are a frequent international traveler, Discover may not be the best choice for your credit needs. While a Discover card will likely be accepted at a majority of locations in the United States, international acceptance is still very limited, especially in comparison to Visa or Mastercard credit cards.

The majority of Discover card reviews are positive. Many customers highlight the card issuer's cash back rewards, but some mention that interest rates are higher than you might find elsewhere. However, many customers mention that their first credit card was through Discover, suggesting that it is a good option for first-time credit card users.

View Best Credit Card Companies

Call our recommended rep over at Discover below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Josh Hughes Denver, CO

Discover has been great in regards to credit card companies. Their app is easy to use. At the time of me using their card, I was going to financial difficulty, and so they put the card on hold, didn't charge me interest, and let me pay back a set amount each month until the balance was gone, as opposed to keeping a high interest rate. This was very helpful for me to get back on my feet.

Curt Montague Hill City, KS

Every time I've had a questionable charge they refunded my money. I 2010 I had a bankruptcy They went out of their way to work with me to help out. I have nothing but good to say about Discovercard.

Alice Winton Canton, GA

Exceptional is all I can say about my experience. Great customer service. Great offers. Amazing cash back on purchases. I make all my major purchases on my Discover Card. I have been with Discover over 20 years and I have never been disappointed.

Jewelleah Kempers Las Vegas, NV

Discover is a customer friendly company that offers a variety of credit cards to suit just about anyone. I have had several of their cards and was pleased they were willing to qualify me at a higher amount than other credit card companies. I have stayed with Discover card for years with no complaints whatsoever.

Thomas Wilde Frankfurt am Main, HE

Always in my mind is their jingle, It Pays to Discover. I first signed up for their card back in the 1980s. People I knew were paying for their cards and I was getting a cashback bonus instead. Through the years I have been subject to identity theft, and even though a sizeable bill was run up on my card Discover said don't worry about it, everything is fine and your new card is in the mail. Before I signed up for autopay I forgot to send in a check in time, but they just said don't worry about it. You are in good standing and we will not charge you a late fee. And now they provide the ability to check your credit score at any time as well as other features I haven't used. They do send me an email each month telling me if there have been any credit inquiries or if anyone has attempted to open a new line of credit in my name. I have four other cards, and for a while was mostly using my Amazon card. But now I am back mostly using the Discover card, especially since my cashback bonus is linked to my Amazon account.

Anonymous Rome, PA

Discover has been my main credit card since 1989. I have had MasterCard and Visa also over the last 42 years, but Discover card deserves my 10 star rating. Whenever I have had any issues with a purchase and the company I had made a purchase from would not or could not resolve the issue, Discover Card ALWAYS listens to my purchase issue, and then guides me through the steps I need to make to begin a complaint. Discover Card has ALWAYS investigated my purchase issue and has ALWAYS resolved the issue. I have received the monetary amount en total for the purchase or return of an item I purchased. There customer service representatives are professional, courteous and are dedicated to assisting their customers.

Anonymous Rome, PA

T Havener Calhoun, TN

They have been an easy company to get in contact with and their customer support people speak and understand English.

1 day ago

G.H.F Frisco, TX

I have been a Discover credit card customer for 3.5 years. I have yet to receive a credit line increase. I tried both paying my balance in full every month to carrying a balance and paying over time. Conversely, in this same time I have received multiple increases from other providers and ooen3d new accounts with starting limits that are 3 times higher than my Discover card. They are in the sock drawer.

Shelton Germaine Rogers, AR

Love my Discover bank, from the CC to the cash back debit card. Discover has consistently provided me with good service and a fair deal. At the time of this review, I would say I have gotten back a good $400.00 cash back over a 3 or so year window. Not bad team, keep up the good work.

Joshua Richmond Lexington, KY

Loved my discover card. Low interest rates, rewards and loyalty programs and even discounts on certain products just by using the card; and with low interest rates, you don't mind using the card to get those rewards and discounts

Melinda Thompson Wentzville, MO

I have been a customer with Discover for 12 plus years. I have been very pleased with their services. The cash back program is accurate and helpful. I would highly recommend that if you are looking for a credit card company, go with Discover.

BOOHOUSTON Portland, OR

I have been a Discover customer for many years and I absolutely have never been more impressed with any other company, ever! I don't know how they recruit their employees but they are the most professional, friendly and efficient people and it makes me want to work for Discover. I will always do business with them and would recommend them to everyone.

P M Los Angeles, CA

Excellent account services and friendly, knowledgeable customer support operators, that are always available to answer any questions.

Leah Mills Kapolei, HI

I used the Discover student credit card and it is amazing! They have low interest rates and they allow one late payment if needed. this card is very forgiving and is great for people who are just starting out on their credit card journey.

Silver Hokum Colorado Springs, CO

I have found a great tool and friend with DISCOVER. I have used their services you 3 years now and I have found it to be a great benefit. Discover has saved me money when I have transferred high interest debt to Discovers great services for relieving high interest debt saving me thousand dollars or more. customer service has been fantastic. overall using Discover has enable me to do more and save more money.

Russell Stence Rochester, NY

I was recommended to Discover by a friend, and I've been VERY happy with it! They have good Rewards options, including a great rotating 5% cashback on various businesses and services that I regularly use, and I like the option of using my Rewards to purchase gift cards at a discounted rate. My friend and I both received as bonus for signing up, and my cash-back reward was DOUBLED for the first year! They also give 2% cash-back for restaurants, all year. Their customer service is excellent...you don't have to strain to understand the accent of the person on the other end of the line!

Scottie Davis Laurel, MS

Discover IT a division of the main Discover CCard came in a timely manner for me. The application/review process was relatively simple Having this card made life a little easier and the procuring of needed things doable.

Diane Lawson Far Rockaway, NY

They worked with me all the time to keep my bill paid on time they have low interest rates and they gave me credit when no other company would give me a chance when I called I got a representative very easy and quick

Judy Fred Narragansett, RI

Discover is accepted EVERYWHERE! I love the convenience, rewards points, and their Mobile App is so secure and easy to use. I can even check my credit score for FREE! I love my Discover Card!! (Oh, their customer service is amazing, although I only needed it once, my bad.)

Tony Lolli Meyersdale, PA

They have helped me on several occasions when someone was using my card. They sent new cards as soon as I told them of my problem. On one occasion, I had forgotten to post my new card with a webpage. The company honored the old card number and let me know I should register the new card with the seller.

Roxanne LaValley Plattsburgh, NY

The best credit card I ever own. I sure would recommend this card to anyone is searching for a great no annual fee to use their card. Some credit card companies charge a annual just to have their card. I understand each person has different ratings to for spending linmit, just stating if a person has descent ratings and searching for a card this is what I would reccommend to do research on it before choosing.

Suzy Evans Spanaway, WA

Good customer service. 100% USA based. Resolved issues quickly. Has a number of cute photos you can choose from for your new card. Interest rates are a bit high, but they do have balance transfer options for paying down higher interest debts from time to time. 0% for 12 months is great to use vs trying to pay off credit card debts with 29.99% interest rates.

Andrea Thomas Richland, WA

Discover has been a great card for me! I get my credit score each month and they have amazing offers. In fact, I was just able to do a balance transfer that will save me over $1200 in interest alone!! Discover has had great customer service too. When I needed clarification on a charge, this chat feature was easy to use and representative was kind and understanding. I would recommend Discover!

Jessica Lynn Heady Mantua, NJ

Discover is my first credit card I’ve had, so I can’t compare it to other credit cards. That being said, I absolutely love Discover! I am on the Discover Student plan and it’s honestly the best; getting cash back whenever I use my card for gas or restaurants is amazing. Being a college student, food and gas is where all my money goes to anyway, so why not just get cash back for it!? I’ve very little trouble with them, but when I have had trouble Customer Service was super nice and helped me with everything. They even answer on Twitter, which is a HUGE plus for me. Lastly, their app is so easy to use and understand. It’s easy to see every purchase you’ve made and it’s easy to pay your bill right in the app! 10/10 highly recommend.

Catrina L. Smith

I really like Discover for several reasons. Firstly, the interest rate is low whereas I can see my debt decreasing, and this gives me a sense of comfort knowing that my debt is diminishing. Secondly, because of this, I have a low monthly payment which allows me to make higher monthly payments over the requirement to pay off my debt. Thirdly, I have several options to pay my bill without being forced to talk to an automatic system; I prefer to pay over the phone because that is more suitable for me. Additionally, Discover does not have a convenience fee when I pay by phone, and I am grateful for that. I am allowed to speak to a person which makes me feel as if I am priority and important. Fourthly, the customer service representatives are professional, attentive, and patient, and lastly, when I went through a financial hardship, Discover was understanding and was patient and kind towards me. These are all the reasons why I will continue to use Discover and why I will recommend anyone to choose Discover. I was at peace when I obtained my credit card with this company because a family member referred me, and she expressed to me how much she loves Discover. My family member has very high standards, and for Discover to meet those standards, it says a lot. I have been a Discover credit card holder since the spring of 2014, and I look forward to continue being a proud, happy, and satisfied customer. I would love to do a commercial advertising its products and services.

Kristen Goode Madison, AL

I have credit cards with six different institutions, and Discover has the absolute best customer service. The automated system gets my information and gets me to a representative quickly, and I don’t have to click through 40 different menus. I’ve also never had to wait more than thirty seconds for someone to answer. The representatives are always incredibly helpful and nice, and we have great conversations while still handling the business I need to in a timely manner. To be honest, I enjoy calling Discover customer service, and I dread all other customer service calls (ex- the cable box in my bedroom hasn’t worked in two months. I just don’t have the desire to deal with the cable company's customer service). Bottom line: Over the past 5 years I’ve realized that Discover card’s customer service is even better than the TV commercials say it is.

Samantha Rivera Colorado Springs, CO

Best company to get a credit card! works with you on interest rates. & value you as a costumer

Uju Kamanu Seattle, WA

Discover has such great customer service. I would recommend their credit card for beginners especially college students. No fees whatsoever and 1% cash back!

Brittany Gould Augusta, ME

I believe Discover has always been a good company to work with. They offer several different options to fit your individual needs, and I think they have good rates as well.

Susan P Moniz Waipahu, HI

Discover has made it possible for me to have major plumbing and home repairs completed. During the pandemic, they allowed me to delay payments until I could find additional funds.

Lakysha Reid Ellenwood, GA

I do enjoy the quality of customer service from Discover & what stands out, even more, are the actual representatives they have all hours of the night to aide their customers. My only concern is the interest rate on the card, estimated its about 19.99%. If I was in a major situation with an extreme need for funds, I know they would be available.

Phalda Morris Jacksonville, FL

Discover is a great company to get a credit card with. They have anywhere from 1-5% cashback on certain purchases, and the cashback rewards can be used towards paying your bill or towards other purchases . They also have great options for student cards, so I would definitely recommend getting a credit card with Discover.

Daisy's Mom West Bend, WI

This is the card I've had the longest, by far. Rarely encounter any issues, and if I do, their customer service is there to help and guide me through the steps I need to take to resolve. I LOVE the cash back. I think they were among the first to offer it.

Jailene Torres Tallahassee, FL

I used Discover as my first ever credit card, because of the lower interest rates. I still think it was a good decision and has helped me throughout the years to build my credit. I love the free FICO credit checks you can do within their app!

J. D. Maney Pensacola, FL

I have had and continue to have good experiences using my Discover card. Initially I received a year of no interest charges, which was great!! They continue to provide wonderful customer service, and, although my no-interest period has expired, the interest rate they are charging is in keeping with the market rate.

Erica Reynolds

I've used Discover for many years, it's my favorite credit card. They have an amazing cash back program. I was able to get 0% interest for a whole year on a balance transfer allowing me to pay down our high interest cards and save money.

Shalon Johnson MS

Great company. I love the cash back reward. I also love the social security monitoring due to the increase in identity fraud. The credit score perk is nice. I always like to view my credit score without having to pay. Great company overall.

lawnguy69 Brighton, MI

Have had a Discover card for over 30 years, and they were the 1st to give my son a credit card as well at 18. Unlike the old days, it is accepted almost everywhere. Uncapped cash back is a great feature as well. Website is excellent for doing almost everything you need to do yourself.

Carnan Fort Collins, CO

We have always had a Discover credit card. We feel they have given us very good service. We appreciate the cash back that we can apply to our balance and also feel they've done a good job in contacting us when our card has been compromised. I would definitely recommend this as a credit card for someone else to get.

Nan Shinkle Salt Lake City, UT

I love using my Discover card because I always get cash back which I can definitely use! I also use it for credit on my Amazon account. Discover makes it easy - plus, I pay for the security against fraud. Plus there's no annual fee!

Connor Smith Tallahassee, FL

Me and my family have been using discover for our credit cards for years now. Customer service is what I find the best about this company though, as any time I have any trouble with the card or anything I am able to get in contact with them. Something I often dislike about Discover though, is that the user interface of their app is often clunky and confusing. Overall pretty positive experience in the years I have been using their services.

jessica plant Las Vegas, NV

I’ve had this card for several years. The longer I’ve had it, the lower the interest rate abs the higher my credit limit goes. Since I pay it in time. I’ve needed to do transfer balances a couple times due to covid and the fee to do them with Discover is the lowest and usually gives decent amounts of time to try and pay it off before interest accrues. Overall it has been a loyal, honest Cc company, which is great and not easy to find out here. I recommend it it for people with good credit and for people just starting out their credit.

Jenni Zollinger Aiken, SC

I love using my Discover Card because of the cash back rewards! Have been a Discover customer for over 30 years. I have had a great experience with their customer service and fast resolution of any issues that have occurred over the years.

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

What a terrific credit card! No annual fee, US-based Customer Service reps and good return on their points! I've been a customer since 1978, almost as soon as they opened. Now that they've bought Diners Club, you can even start to use your Discover Card overseas. And, of course, no foreign exchange fees. User-friendly website and they offer quarterly point boosters! It's a great card!

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

I recently received my discover cash back credit card and so far it is great. I was referred and then I referred someone else so they gave me $100 credit. Their customer service is great, they helped me get approved in until 10 minutes. They also offer cash back at different stores throughout the year which is nice since it opens your options for cash back. So far, so good!

Stacy Kainer Grants Pass, OR

Using Discover is one of the best decisions I have ever made. Their customer service goes above and beyond! They care deeply about their customers. I made a mistake recently by paying my bill right before my automatic payment date. This resulted in a double charge so I asked if that could be reversed. They not only sent my money back, but they gave a courtesy refund amount. I am beyond thankful and will always use Discover, knowing they will always be caring and helpful!

Customer East Hartford, CT

5% cash back is amazing and I'm sad to see the discover deals go. They let you apply cash back to Amazon, your statement, your bank account- which was awesome. I pay huge bills on it just for the cash back. They pick up on fraud alerts very quickly, but I wish there was a way they wouldn't lock it out at work every time I make a purchase (regardless of the amount of times I have asked them to unflag my employer's cafe). Online view and applications for phone are very easy to use.

Tamekia Camden, NJ

My experiences with discover has been good thus far, I have only been with them a few months but I have had no issues whatsoever. Applying for a discover card was a very easy process, hopefully after 6 months or so of keeping my account in good standing I’ll qualify for a credit increase. The whole purpose of me getting a credit card was to help improve my credit score and in the short amount of time I have seen a big improvement in my score.

Alex Rogerson Saratoga Springs, UT

We consolidated our credit cards from an old business we owned into one with Discover. We had no interest for a year and were able to get out of all credit card debt in half the time. They also do a rotating 5% cash back to different stores, so that is fun to get cash back at places we already go to all the time - such as Target, Home Depot and Costco.