Visa

Visa is a global payments technology company that provides digital currency services in over 200 countries and territories. The company started out as BankAmericard in 1958 and became officially known as Visa in 1976. According to its corporate website, there are more than 2.5 billion Visa credit cards in use in over 200 countries and territories worldwide. The company performed over 109 billion transactions in the last year alone. Visa's corporate website offers 19 personal credit cards with various rates and perks for consumers to choose from.

#1 Chase Logo Chase ›

8.9

Overall
Score

#2 American Express (Amex) Logo American Express (Amex) ›

8.2

Overall
Score

#3 Capital One Logo Capital One ›

8.1

Overall
Score

#14 Visa Logo Visa

Overall
Score

The Good

• Benefits and Features
  • 24/7 Customer Service
  • Mobile Payments

Benefits and Features

Visa offers consumers a comprehensive package of benefits and features with its credit card offers. Traditional credit card benefits include lost/stolen card replacement, auto rental collision damage waiver, zero liability protection, and roadside dispatch. Signature benefits feature additional services such as a warranty manager service and travel and emergency services. Visa cards are secured with EMV chip-enabled technology for secure purchase transactions and online purchases are protected with Visa Checkout. Depending on card selection, customers can earn rewards such as cash back, travel perks, merchandise, gift cards, and more.

24/7 Customer Service

Customers can reach a customer service representative by phone 24/7 if any questions arise or if they need assistance with a credit card issue. A live chat option is available as well on the corporate website. Customers can also contact Visa by email and receive a response within 24 to 48 hours. The company also has an FAQ section that answers many questions customers frequently ask.

Mobile Payments

Customers are able to make payments and purchases directly from a payment-enabled smartphone, tablet, or wearable device. With retail merchants that offer the Contactless symbol at the cash register, users can simply swipe their phone to complete the transaction instead of having to pull out their credit card. Online purchases are also protected through Visa Checkout. Most transactions are securely protected against the possibility of hackers accessing sensitive financial information. In the unlikely event it does happen, zero liability protection helps provide coverage for any fraudulent unauthorized purchases. Visit Site

The Bad

• APRs
  • Undisclosed Fees
  • Limited Financial Education Resources

APRs

Depending on card selection, APR can vary from 7.65 to 26.65 percent. These rates are especially high for consumers with excellent credit when compared to similar marketplace offerings. Various available credit card offers include a zero percent introductory APR on either purchases or balance transfers for up to 12 months. Interest rates for cash advances, balance transfers, and penalty APRs are not publicly disclosed upfront on the company's corporate website. Consumers will have to click through each card link they are interested in and be directed to other websites to get more specific details.

Undisclosed Fees

Interest surcharge fees for each card are not disclosed upfront on Visa's corporate website. Balance transfer and cash advance transaction fees may vary from card to card, as well as foreign transaction fees and late or returned payment penalties. Customers will have to manually search through each separate offer they are interested in and be redirected to other websites in order to obtain detailed information. This can be a time-consuming and overwhelming process for many consumers because the company does not offer any search filters to narrow down available choices.

Limited Financial Education Resources

The company claims to offer numerous financial literacy programs around the world. However, its corporate website contains limited financial education resources. There are several articles on a wide range of topics, but there are no financial calculators or other resources for estimating monthly payments. The website may be difficult for some consumers to navigate and be able to find the information they are looking for. The company does not offer any other financial products or services to consumers outside of the available credit card offers.

The Bottom Line

Visa is a well-known global payments technology provider that offers a wide range of credit card offers to consumers of all credit types. The company is highly reputable in the industry with billions of transactions taking place annually around the world. The credit card offers featured on its corporate website contain a wide range of benefits and features for every financial situation. The company also provides mobile banking services and 24/7 customer service. The APRs provided on the corporate website are considerably high, even for consumers with excellent credit histories. Interest fees and other surcharges are not clearly disclosed upfront. Consumers will need to carefully read any service agreement terms and conditions for the cards they are interested in before filling out an application. The company's website is difficult to navigate in order to find specific information and the credit card offers navigate consumers to many other websites on the internet.

shawn

January 15th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

cash back. points. rewards. take back returns with no problem.

Angela Buller

January 15th, 2018 Golden Valley, AZ DETAILS

Always good great service ice always have things in stock friendly

Rodrigo Marcus

January 9th, 2018 Kissimmee, FL DETAILS

Good support, good rewarding plan, good limit to be used. Coverage everywhere.

Larry Theo

January 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I buy everything on this card and then pay it off. It is great.

Carol Claybaker

January 3rd, 2018 DETAILS

no problems; no fees; help available when needed.

Mari

January 3rd, 2018 Fresno, CA DETAILS

Fraudulent safe guard, excellent customer service, easily clarify unjust billing

Suzanna Wootton

December 16th, 2017 Springville, UT

I love my Visa credit cards and especially the rewards!

Jacinda E

December 14th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Visa was my first credit card which has been very beneficial because they are used by most companies. It has been a great 1st credit card to build my credit.

William

December 14th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

The annual fees for my visa are minimal and the card is accepted pretty much everywhere. I would recommend this card.

Sherman Wright

December 11th, 2017 Hanover, MD DETAILS

Because it is safe, I get alerted if suspected fraud activities occur, and i had it for years.

John Norman

December 11th, 2017 Scottsdale, AZ DETAILS

It seems adequate, very useful because most businesses accept it.

December 11th, 2017 Grand Island, NE DETAILS

It has served me well over the years and has kept a careful check on any unusual entries when they have occured

Cassidy Gundersen

December 10th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

I have one Visa credit card, and it’s pretty good. I use my husband’s Amazon Prime Visa, which is AMAZING. I would definitely recommend it to everyone who has an Amazon Prime account. You can get 5% back on purchases made on Amazon. We buy things on Amazon all the time, so we’ve made a ton of money back so far!

Lindsey

December 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Visa Credit card is definitely one of the best. They have good customer service, and give you rewards for certain things you purchase.

Evan Rasmussen

November 29th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Visa has always had my bad with false charges etc great company

Danielle

November 29th, 2017 Syracuse, UT DETAILS

Rates are reasonable. The customer service has always been great. Will continue to use them!

Raquel

November 29th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Never had a problem with visa. Love their rewards programs and cash back.

Carlene Dastrup

November 22nd, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I like that I can use visa to my advantage. I pay off my credit card every month so I do not pay interest and I still get rewards with the cash back program.

Hayley Lambdin

November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

Visa is pretty great! I love that its accepted at a bunch of different stores, I never have to worry.

Rachel Fagan

November 13th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

Visa always gove fast and efficient service. Their customer service is always friendly and helpful. They are also safe and trustworthy.

Kent Jensen

November 8th, 2017 Newberg, OR DETAILS

I like that they monitor my account for unusual activity. good customer service.

Megan

November 5th, 2017 Coalville, UT DETAILS

Visa is great! They've called when my card was stolen before I even knew it happened.

Dale Zollinger

November 5th, 2017 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Real good customer service. Helpful whenever i have a need.

Brooke

November 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I’ve had very little problems with my Visa cards. Their customer service is pretty decent as well.

Gary Mayer

November 2nd, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Great credit card. Good anywhere in the world

Alex Murphy

November 2nd, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS

I have a few Vise credit cards and have always had positive experiences with them. Now accepted by Costco which is great!

Connie Mayer

November 2nd, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

VISA is a good company that gives me good cards that I trust. There isn't much special about it though. They are good with customer service. They answer quickly. I once asked them to lower their rates on my card and they did, so they listen to me as a customer.

Linda Jensen

October 30th, 2017 Newberg, OR DETAILS

We use our Visa for all our monthly purchases. (Always pay off each month). And our new Costco Visa is awesome! The cash back that we will be getting is so much better than our last Visa card. Also, someone got a hold of my # and made some rather large purchases, and Visa was quick to notify us. They took care of everything. Good to know they are watching my back.

Brandon Maughan

October 30th, 2017 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I never have issues with my Visa working. I've never found a merchant that doesn't accept Visa.

Lindsey Andersen

October 26th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love that Visa is accepted EVERYWHERE - including smallest businesses. They alert me if there is activity that is suspicious, I get a notification every single time it is charged, and I appreciate the fraud protection as well. Plus, no annual fee for my Capital One Venture Card!

Carilee Wilson

October 26th, 2017 Roy, UT DETAILS

Have never had a problem with this credit card. Service was stopped when someone tried to use it.

janice

October 16th, 2017 Las Vegas, NV

if a problem arises, they are there to help immediately. problem resolved immediately to my satisfication

Pat

September 14th, 2017 Ellicott City, MD

always reliable never any problems and rates are good

James Young

July 30th, 2017 Cherry Hill, NJ

TD Visa delayed the process for a transaction then told us we ran out of time to issue a claim and charged our account $454.20 even though we returned the item. They also charged late fees and effected our credit.

Aubrey Rentschler

June 11th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I love Visa because of their acceptance anywhere. I also like that Costco accepts them now.

Kory Staheli

June 10th, 2017

Visa has always been good to work with. Their customer service has been great and we haven't had any problems. We also like that we can earn travel rewards by using our Visa credit cards.

Quen Wilson

June 10th, 2017 Provo, UT

I've been with Visa for the past few years and they have never let me down. Their customer service were well prepared to assist me when I was worried I had lost my card and later I was able to up my credit limit with a simple 5 minute phone call.

Denise H.

June 8th, 2017 Mona, UT

I have found their customer service to be good and their cards are accepted almost everywhere which is a definite plus.

Breanna Jones

June 6th, 2017 Herriman, UT

Visa is great because it is taken everywhere. Even when I travel, I do not have to pay international fees which is so nice.