Visa Logo

Visa

7.2

Visa is a global payments technology company that provides digital currency services in over 200 countries and territories. The company started out as BankAmericard in 1958 and became officially known as Visa in 1976. According to its corporate website, there are more than 2.5 billion Visa credit cards in use in over 200 countries and territories worldwide. The company performed over 109 billion transactions in the last year alone. Visa's corporate website offers 19 personal credit cards with various rates and perks for consumers to choose from.

The Good

• Benefits and Features
  • 24/7 Customer Service
  • Mobile Payments

Benefits and Features

Visa offers consumers a comprehensive package of benefits and features with its credit card offers. Traditional credit card benefits include lost/stolen card replacement, auto rental collision damage waiver, zero liability protection, and roadside dispatch. Signature benefits feature additional services such as a warranty manager service and travel and emergency services. Visa cards are secured with EMV chip-enabled technology for secure purchase transactions and online purchases are protected with Visa Checkout. Depending on card selection, customers can earn rewards such as cash back, travel perks, merchandise, gift cards, and more.

24/7 Customer Service

Customers can reach a customer service representative by phone 24/7 if any questions arise or if they need assistance with a credit card issue. A live chat option is available as well on the corporate website. Customers can also contact Visa by email and receive a response within 24 to 48 hours. The company also has an FAQ section that answers many questions customers frequently ask.

Mobile Payments

Customers are able to make payments and purchases directly from a payment-enabled smartphone, tablet, or wearable device. With retail merchants that offer the Contactless symbol at the cash register, users can simply swipe their phone to complete the transaction instead of having to pull out their credit card. Online purchases are also protected through Visa Checkout. Most transactions are securely protected against the possibility of hackers accessing sensitive financial information. In the unlikely event it does happen, zero liability protection helps provide coverage for any fraudulent unauthorized purchases. Visit Site

The Bad

• APRs
  • Undisclosed Fees
  • Limited Financial Education Resources

APRs

Depending on card selection, APR can vary from 7.65 to 26.65 percent. These rates are especially high for consumers with excellent credit when compared to similar marketplace offerings. Various available credit card offers include a zero percent introductory APR on either purchases or balance transfers for up to 12 months. Interest rates for cash advances, balance transfers, and penalty APRs are not publicly disclosed upfront on the company's corporate website. Consumers will have to click through each card link they are interested in and be directed to other websites to get more specific details.

Undisclosed Fees

Interest surcharge fees for each card are not disclosed upfront on Visa's corporate website. Balance transfer and cash advance transaction fees may vary from card to card, as well as foreign transaction fees and late or returned payment penalties. Customers will have to manually search through each separate offer they are interested in and be redirected to other websites in order to obtain detailed information. This can be a time-consuming and overwhelming process for many consumers because the company does not offer any search filters to narrow down available choices.

Limited Financial Education Resources

The company claims to offer numerous financial literacy programs around the world. However, its corporate website contains limited financial education resources. There are several articles on a wide range of topics, but there are no financial calculators or other resources for estimating monthly payments. The website may be difficult for some consumers to navigate and be able to find the information they are looking for. The company does not offer any other financial products or services to consumers outside of the available credit card offers.

The Bottom Line

Visa is a well-known global payments technology provider that offers a wide range of credit card offers to consumers of all credit types. The company is highly reputable in the industry with billions of transactions taking place annually around the world. The credit card offers featured on its corporate website contain a wide range of benefits and features for every financial situation. The company also provides mobile banking services and 24/7 customer service. The APRs provided on the corporate website are considerably high, even for consumers with excellent credit histories. Interest fees and other surcharges are not clearly disclosed upfront. Consumers will need to carefully read any service agreement terms and conditions for the cards they are interested in before filling out an application. The company's website is difficult to navigate in order to find specific information and the credit card offers navigate consumers to many other websites on the internet.

4.8

Frank Orlando, FL

Thank you for looking into the fraudulent claim on my credit cards. It’s comforting Knowing that I have a company that has my back on these issues. I received my New card within days and now feel safe again. Thank you

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

We have A LOT of Visa Credit cards and they are all great. I really like the Chase visa cards. Points through the Marriott Visa have allowed us to do lots of traveling. The United Airlines Visa card is great for free luggage and gives lots of points. We also switched over to the Costco Visa when they made the switch from AmEx, super beneficial with rebates on gas and every purchase, has saved us hundreds. Finally, a go to for us is the Alaska air Visa. Also good for free luggage and lots of points, and you get a BOGO every year! It is safe to say we don't make a purchase without getting some Visa point of rebate perk.

Jean Pleimann Hollywood, FL

I use SW Visa & earn air miles, get free tickets all the time. There is an annual fee but if you put everything on the card, free flights come quickly & it’s worth it

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

I have a Visa card associated with my credit union account -- very convenient. I have reasonable interest rates and I get purchase credits that I use for gift cards. I handle all transactions online and have no problems with them.

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

I have several Visa Cards & also own stock in the company. Visa has a great fraud-alert system & caught fraudulent activity on my account before I knew it (and I check the accounts every day). That fact alone makes me trust Visa's processing systems.

Greg Francis Saratoga Springs, UT

The convenience of Visa has changed the way we pay. I have been a Visa consumer, and a Visa merchant, and in both cases, appreciate the services Visa provides, including the purchase protection, and the global locations I can purchase.

Margaret Beus Richland, WA

I like the cash back feature on my Visa card because I always pay my balance in full so I make money. I am also pleased with the customer service. The one time I missed the payment due date by a couple of days, they reversed the service charge and interest fee. I definitely appreciated their understanding.

Freddy V Eagle Mountain, UT

3 out of my 5 cards are Visa and they always get accepted everywhere I go! I’m not going to say who the other cards are from but once in a while they don’t get accepted when I’m at the register and it’s embarrassing, but I never have a problem with Visa! So thanks for the great service!

Marcie M Idaho Falls, ID

I have used Visa ever since I first got a credit card. It’s the best credit card company in my opinion. I’ve never had any annual fees, transfer fees, or any unnecessary fees. I love the cash back rewards program. At the end of each year I’m able to earn enough rewards points to get some nice things for my family. One year I got my husband an Apple Watch for Christmas with the rewards points I had saved up and he loved it! We recently used our points to purchase airplane tickets for a family vacation to Disneyland. Pretty awesome! I have never had a single negative issue with Visa. They’re a great company and have served us well for many years.

Baj5527 Brigham City, UT

I love my Visa card. It’s all I use. I have other cards but honestly I prefer to use my Visa. I receive a wonderful benefit from using this Visa in the form of %of $spent at Costco and other places. Since I use this Visa mostly there I gain a great “reward” yearly. I have had on occasion a few times when I’ve refused charges on my Visa. I don’t like doing that but they have done a wonderful job of researching the charge for me and for the most part they have resolved the issue for me. I’m so happy with my Visa company. I don’t know about other Visa providers but mine is truly great. I don’t have to pay an annual fee and as long as I pay my balance by the payment date I don’t pay any interest. I’m very happy with my situation. I receive a check from Visa to be used at Costco. Which actually I can cash there. I don’t have to spend it all there. Their Customer Service is excellent. Anytime I’ve called they have been able to answer my questions and put me at ease within minutes. Again I’m totally pleased with my Visa.

Mason Allen Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Visa. My credit card is always protected and works smoothly. The only thing I don't like is how their rates are so high for stores that some cannot afford to let us use Visas at their stores and I think that is dumb.

Chris Milke Olney, MD

Visa is my go to card and I love the amount of merchants who accept it. Interest rate could be a bit lower, but I try to pay it every month to eliminate excessive interest accrual. Overall, love the card.

Christi Gilbert Gettysburg, PA

Visa is accepted every where. I know no matter what site I am shopping on, it will always accept VISA. And they protect me by defending me for purchases that were obviously not made by me.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

We love all of our visas and we love their merchant service for all of our credit card transactions at our company. Visa is a good solid credit card brand that works. It's nice it works out of the country too.

Van M. Orem, UT

Visa is a great card to have and I like that I can use it outside the U.S. as well. They have been good and I have not had problems with them. I also like it because I need it to use at costco.

Katrina Breithaupt Provo, UT

I have been extremely satisfied with Visa. I love to travel abroad and I have never found a place that doesn't accept my credit card. They are easy to use and I have no recurring fees.

Jake Mecham Lehi, UT

Everyone takes Visa. It really is accepted everywhere. I use the Costco Visa and I am so happy with it. The rewards are incredible and I look forward to my reward certificate every year.

Chelsea Snow Eagle Mountain, UT

I have used Visa cards my whole life. the reason I stay using them is because of their great customer service. A handful of times I have called in and they have helped me in a very timely fashion.

Varduhi Rockville, MD

convenient, can use worldwide, international

Lisa C Johnson Windsor Mill, MD

Visa is taken practically everywhere in the world. So I dont have to worry about how to pay for things. I am satisfied with it.

Olivia Hardy Baltimore, MD

Visa is very easy to use and they have great customer service. I recommend the Visa app as it is a great way to keep track of all my accounts.

Louisena Osias Tallahassee, FL

I love the variety of styles they have for the gift cards. I also love the customer service when I needed help activating my card.

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

I have had a great experience with visa and would highly recommend. They have great customer service and are always so good to work with you through problems .

Karli American Fork, UT

Visa is great about credit card monitoring and letting you know if there’s any issues with your account or card. Always been pleased with their customer service.

Jen Burt Herriman, UT

I have used Visa cards for years and have always been happy with the service I received. The VISA card that I currently have offers cash back rewards which is very beneficial.

Kent Logan, UT

Visa was my first credit card decades ago, opened so I could establish credit. After many years and many other credit cards coming and going, it is the only one I still hold. It has the best rate, is most widely accepted, and is hassle free.

AF ,

So easy to use Visa --everwhere accepts it! It was a bummer when Kroger stores stopped accepting them awhile back, I almost stopped shopping there just for that reason .... however, it looks like they're accepting them again.

Jen Paxman Lehi, UT

I have a Chase Visa card and we really like it. I like that Visa cards are accepted everywhere and I never have to ask "do you accept Visa". The customer service is great and the rewards are unmatched for what our family needs. The website is very user friendly and I am able to see all of my accounts on one page. The first credit card I ever applied for was a Visa and I have had one ever since. Visa stands by their cards and promotions and I am a loyal customer for life.

Rhonda Sanford Merrick, NY

I have had many positive experiences in dealing with Visa and their customer service department. There have been several business disputes using my Visa card and they have all been professionally and rapidly handled. In addition, my card was lost and they handled it quickly. Another times, some expensive purchases were being made and the company called m to check if they were legitimate ones. All in all, it has been a positive relationship.

Linda Jensen Newberg, OR

We use our Visa for all our monthly purchases. (Always pay off each month). And our new Costco Visa is awesome! The cash back that we will be getting is so much better than our last Visa card. Also, someone got a hold of my # and made some rather large purchases, and Visa was quick to notify us. They took care of everything. Good to know they are watching my back.

Steve Anderson Lindon, UT

I love my Visa card!! I've never had a problem with it. It's never been declined anywhere I've traveled throughout the world. The customer service is excellent. Nor have I had a problem understanding the folks I call with questions and asking for help. That's a big help for me. It's terribly frustrating when I call for online support and cannot understand what the person on the other side of the line is trying to tell me. I've had my Visa for so long I don't even remember when I first got it. I also love the fact that it covers the fees for using it overseas. This card is a keeper, without a doubt.

Peter Harmatuk Columbia, MD

I’ve had a Visa credit card for over 20 years. I’ve always received a decent rate and their services have always been reliable and secure.

Steven Klaproth Phoenix, AZ

Visa is one of the best products ever. I use my Visa card for every purchase. I love the ease of use!

The Man Flake Rio Rancho, NM

I have never had a problem with Visa, my debit cards have always worked well. I would definitely recommend.

Conqualla Scott Tallahassee, FL

My card is very secure with the bank that I use. It is very useful and they are very efficient when it comes to canceling.

Jared Provo, UT

I have a Visa credit card through my bank, and I've been very impressed so far. Great rewards programs, and good service!

Nate Ashby Provo, UT

All of my credit and debit cards I've used have been Visa. The cards are accepted almost everywhere! I've only had good experiences.

Jennifer Ashby Lehi, UT

I have been a customer of visa for a long time. I have randomly missed a few payments because I forgot and they took of any charges. So kind!

Samantha Holland Denver, CO

We only use Visa cards in our home. I love that they’re accepted pretty much everywhere. The fees are minimum and they’re so easy to use. There is always great customer service and I can’t complain about this company at all.

Azrienne Davis Tallahassee, FL

My Visa card is amazing, especially since it’s a widely accepted form of payment! I even used while in the middle of the ocean on a boat and another boat was selling Italian Ice!

Eric Wilkinson Herriman, UT

Visa is a trusted name that I use to make my credit card purchases. I trust having the Visa logo on my bank cards. I have never had a problem with any Visa and that is why I choose to carry one in my wallet.

Irinna Danielson Riverton, UT

One of the best things about Visa is the card is taken just about anywhere. it's convenient and I never have to worry with a Visa in my wallet. Also, the interest rates have always been good and it's a no hassle card that I use every time I charge something.

Shante Reeder Ogden, UT

VISA is what every credit card company should model itself after. The customer care is phenomenal! I have had several VISA credit cards over the years, and have been please with all of them!

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

Visa has always been a great card for us and is convenient because it's accepted pretty much everywhere! I also like that their service line is efficient anytime I have an issue with a charge I need to discuss.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Visa as a brand makes life easier. I use Visa credit cards every single day making purchases, booking travel, restaurants and the rest of life's necessities. They are accepted everywhere and easy to maintain. Visa has changed our culture for the better. I would never stop using my Visa cards!

Larson Riverton, UT

As an 18 year old, it was a little hard to find a place that would approve my credit card but once i did, it has been very nice!! The company and its services are great. Visa has met my expectations and never caused any problems.

Shauna Horne American Fork, UT

We have used Visa for over 20 years and I have always been extremely satisfied by their service. The cards work well, they are accepted everywhere (even when we visit Canada) and they have good customer service. I will continue to use Visa.

Brinley Knowles Smithfield, UT

I love my Visa card. Most everywhere I go they take Visa which is so nice. I always put money on my card and don't have to worry about carrying around cash. Such a great card that I use every single day if not multiple times a day.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I have one Visa credit card, and it’s pretty good. I use my husband’s Amazon Prime Visa, which is AMAZING. I would definitely recommend it to everyone who has an Amazon Prime account. You can get 5% back on purchases made on Amazon. We buy things on Amazon all the time, so we’ve made a ton of money back so far!

Connie Mayer South Jordan, UT

VISA is a good company that gives me good cards that I trust. There isn't much special about it though. They are good with customer service. They answer quickly. I once asked them to lower their rates on my card and they did, so they listen to me as a customer.