Founded in 1998 and headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina, Bank of America is a multinational banking and financial services company that offers credit cards.

#1 Capital One chevron_right
#2 American Express (Amex) chevron_right
#3 Discover chevron_right

The Good

• Competitive APRs
  • Rewards Programs
  • Free Credit Score Tracking
  • Fraud Safeguards

Competitive APRs

Bank of America offers a few different credit cards with introductory rates of zero percent for the first 12 to 18 months. After that, rates remain in a competitive range for the industry.

Rewards Programs

Bank of America offers a variety of rewards programs that cardholders can participate in and earn travel points, bonuses, and cash back. Earned rewards are easy to convert into cash or prizes.

Free Credit Score Tracking

Because Bank of America thinks that its important to provide its customers with tools to help them understand their credit, the company provides consumer cardholders with access to a free monthly FICO score from TransUnion. With this feature, cardholders can see key factors that are impacting their score, track recent scores month-to-month and compare them to national averages, and learn about credit and strategies for keeping their credit healthy.

Fraud Safeguards

Bank of America provides tips on how to prevent fraud and invests in fraud protection technology in order to shield its cardholders from fraud. Visit Site

The Bad

• Annual Fee
  • Late Payment Penalty
  • Foreign Transaction Fee

Annual Fee

Bank of America charges annual fees up to $95 depending on the card. There are several other credit card companies that do not charge any annual fees at all.

Late Payment Penalty

For every late payment, Bank of America cardholders will incur that's average for the industry.

Foreign Transaction Fee

Bank of America can charge a foreign transaction fee of 3 percent, which is one of the highest in the industry. However, not all cards have this fee, so it will depend on the product you choose.

The Bottom Line

Bank of America offers competitive APRs, several rewards programs, free credit score tracking, and a number of fraud safeguards. However, the company has a few different fees in place, including an annual fee, a late payment fee, and a foreign transaction fee.

3.9

Randel Weikle

August 8th, 2017 Jacksonville, FL

Excellent service but overly sensitive to hacking

Elsbeth Palmer-Mills

August 8th, 2017 Rochester, NY

They are quick to solve any problems I have had.

Gary McVey

August 8th, 2017 O'Fallon, MO

Their pay-back system doesn't work for me..

Robert McDonald

August 8th, 2017 Herndon, VA

reduce credit line after years of good faithful

Gregory Antonowich

August 8th, 2017 Garfield, NJ

The are fair with my credit limit and offers.

Christena Bey

August 8th, 2017 River Grove, IL

They have a very slow process for credit line increases

Dylan

August 3rd, 2017 Winchester, MA

If you like being tranfered from department to department when you need help on the phone this is the bank for u not only do they put u on hold 7/8 times you might talk to someone for 2 minutes and then u get switched to someone else where you have to reexplain your issues and yup you guessed it you get transferred agian. Ive been banking with them for 10 years i even went in to the bank of america tellers and had a sit down with a teller about the claim i disputed .. even both of us stayed on hold for more than 30 minutes until she told me ahe had no power over them .. and the customer service actually hung up on us . I wouldnt tell anyone to bank there over the amount of stress and frustation the bank gives you with hidden fees and horrible customer service

Anthony Cashin

August 3rd, 2017

Boa charges $5 to replace worn out cards. They classify as "damaged". My point is I did not damage the card. It's too flimsy, and I am having to get a new one more than once a year. Should last until expiration. They called and explained and refunded my $5

Igor Fedin

July 31st, 2017 Giddings, TX

Representatives through Twitter are more powerful and helpful than through the telephone number on the back of the card.

Louis Moore

July 31st, 2017

Agent was very professional and handled my issue promptly.

Michelle

July 31st, 2017 IL

Worst bank ever! They treat you like you're stupid, they don't actually give you real answers just the "this is the way it's done" no explanation why. When I asked for information about doing an international wire, they rolled their eyes at me when I asked a question. I get they know their jobs but I don't. I don't do this everyday. I've never been treated so poorly. I had to drive to my bank and have them explain everything that Bank of America wouldn't. Don't bank here.

Alfred Upchurch

July 12th, 2017

Bank of America made a $300 mistake in their favor on an ATM deposit and now they're saying they have to investigate it and it will be at least 10 days before I get there I need deposited in my account.

jake

July 12th, 2017 Appleton City, MO

Customer service was rude and did not handle my issue properly. They told me the phone numbers on my account did not exist, which they did I was logged in to online banking while on the phone. They even said my business name didn't exist. I was reporting a lost card and because they couldn't "verify" me now someone could use my card fraudulently due to their incompetence.

Stephan Hernandez

July 12th, 2017 Brooklyn, NY

I have been in conversation with a loan officer. Who took poor information and thus issued a incorrect preapproval letter which mislead me and made my fiancé and I look for homes within that budget. When he realizes his error he sends and informal email and reduced the amount offered by $20,000. When I asked why he became dismissive and flippant.

Melissa Elliott

June 12th, 2017

Fraud dept. failed to catch 167 unauthorized fraudulent LYFT charges to my acct. This occurred over a 6 wk period and totaled over $2200. Many of the charges were occurring simultaneously -up to 6 a day. It wasn't until I opened my statement that this came to my attention!

Susan Stewart

June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I have a Bank of America card and I hate it. Paying this stupid thing every month is the biggest pain ever. I don't bank through them, and they make it this huge hassle to try and connect your bank account so I can't pay online. So I have to pay by phone every month, and their automated phone system is like talking to the dumbest robot ever made.

garet claborn

June 5th, 2017

Bank of America charged an an NSF fee for their monthly maintenance fee (which is $12, bs -_- ) this in turn caused my account to go negative in January and they charged, again, a new overdraft fee for that. So I called them chewed them out and cancelled my account at the end of January. However the service rep did not cancel it. Fast forward to now, they retried payment multiple times and charged fees each time over the last few months. Finally, a client accidentally sent a contractor payment to my old account (the payment belonged to another contractor) which is how I found out the account was still open. Bank of America promised to repay my client after discussing the full situation. Three weeks of calls with their escalation dept. later and they recanted saying they wouldn't do it. Bank of America is a scammy company that bleeds people dry and makes their money off low-income families. They disgust me as most of these giant banks with no honor for their word aught to. Stick with a local credit union people. This bank can seem fine until you need their help in a real situation. They wont go the extra mile, or even the first mile they promised. They will absolutely not lift a finger unless required by law and even then their own policies take precedent because they can get away with breaking agreements as a large corporation. Screw them.