Founded in 1850 and headquartered in New York, American Express offers financial services such as credit cards and insurance.

#1 Capital One chevron_right
#3 Discover chevron_right

The Good

• Competitive APRs
  • Rewards Program
  • Fraud Safeguards

Competitive APRs

American Express offers credit cards with introductory rates of 0 percent for the first six to twelve months. After that, it offers rates competitive within the industry.

Rewards Program

American Express offers several rewards programs, cash back rewards, travel rewards, and business rewards.

Fraud Safeguards

American Express offers solutions to prevent fraud, including card identification verification, counterfeit detection, electronic verification, and charge authorization. Visit Site

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalty
  • Foreign Transaction Fee
  • No Free Credit Score

Annual Fees

Depending on the card, American Express can charge some of the most expensive annual fees in the industry. However, as with many credit card companies, the first year might have no annual fee.

Late Payment Penalty

American Express cardholders can expect a late payment penalty that is comepetitive within the industry.

Foreign Transaction Fee

While some companies in the industry do not charge a foreign transaction fee, American Express charges one, which can be inconvenient for frequent travelers.

No Free Credit Score

Unfortunately, American Express does not provide its customers with free credit score tracking.

The Bottom Line

American Express offers competitive APRs, several rewards programs, and a number of fraud safeguards. However, the company charges annual fees, late payment fees, and foreign transaction fees. Additionally, American Express does not provide free credit score monitoring.

Jennifer

May 10th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had an American Express card for quite some time. I actually really liked the card and benefits but the yearly fees began to just be too much compared to my other 2 cards. I would recommend Amex to anyone who doesn't necessarily care about the annual fee.

Ashley

May 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The Delta American Express is the best because I'm able to earn points on regular purchases everyday. These points turn into miles really fast. They are constantly having deals for more miles on restaurants, and you can even shop on their sky mall. The best is being able to board early on flights by just showing my Delta American Express. American Express is used everywhere and all over the world.

Randy Case

May 5th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been an American Express credit card holder for over 20 years. The website is easy to use, customer service is efficient and responsive, and the phone app is great for checking on funds available or making a payment in real time.

Assured comfort

May 2nd, 2019 Redmond, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love american express. Their service is terrific. A person always answers when you call and they are always very helpful. A great example for everyone

Robert R McEvilly

May 2nd, 2019 Glendale, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are always accurate, but difficult to do business with.

Douglas

May 2nd, 2019 Sheboygan, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They send you a report at the end of the year. Very insiteful

Allison Driggs

April 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my American Express card. Totally convenient and service is incredible. Love American Express.

Matthew Driggs

April 12th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have a great rewards program. The only bummer is that not everyone takes their card. When they do, the rewards are great.

Michael Occhipinti

April 9th, 2019 Raleigh, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible experience. Their customer service is absolutely terrible. I have wasted 10-15hrs of my time on the phone.

Erin

February 13th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We’ve used American Express for the past 18 years. They have great rewards and their interest rate is competitive. They’ve monitored transactions on our card for fraud and have contacted us whenever they suspected fraud or suspicious transactions. Their customer service is excellent.

Jonas De Olveira

February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT

I have the Delta skymiles american express card. I really like getting a companion fare each year. It helps make the annual fee worth it. I travel often and use delta most often as my carrier so I get double points on all those purchases. It has been a good card, it isn't great for international travel though. It is not accepted in as many places overseas.

Aaron Paxman

February 13th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I currently have an American Express credit card. It was easy to obtain without much hassle. I have enjoyed the perks and points that I earn with this card. Website where I applied for the card was user friendly and I was able to chat with a rep as well who guided me through the process.

Tim Berrett

February 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I cancelled all my AMEX cards after some bad experiences. This company has poor customer service, increases interest rates often, and changes card perks without communicating. I was particularly disappointed in their Delta/Amex partnership and the frequent changes they made to those perks with no notification. Use anyone but AMEX.

Michelle De Oliveira

February 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have the American Express Delta rewards card and it works well for me. I like that I get a free companion ticket each year, which offsets the annual fee. I also like that I get a free checked bag for myself and for whoever is in my party. This saves us a bundle when we fly as a family.

wayne sanders

February 12th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

AmEx has been a top notch company for me. I appreciate it when I get a notification from them letting me know that something in my spending pattern was different and they just wanted to verify that it was in fact me who made the charge. There was a time however that I hadn't made the charge on my account and there were no questions asked, AmEx reversed the charges and didn't penalize me for it. that's good customer service in my book.

Nathan Hill

February 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have always liked the perks with this card, but find them to be a little more expensive and a lot harder to use because not everyone accepts them. I still use this card and like it for the sky miles and the companion ticket.

Nicole Garrett

February 12th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I enjoy the Delta rewards Amex. The bonus miles are a great bonus. Customer service has been great when needed.

Lindsey B

February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Overpriced annual fees for a card with no added benefits. When I was looking for a card that offered great rewards I thought I had it with AMEX, it turns out that wasn't the case. The whole time I had the card I was underwhelmed. I would look into another card before signing up with AMEX.

Helen Thompson

February 11th, 2019 Bountiful, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

WE HAVE BEEN WITH AMERICAN EXPRESS FOR MANY YEARS AND LOVE THE BONUS'S WE GET BY BEING WITH THEM. WE USE OUR FREQUENT FLYER MILES WE GET WITH USING OUR CREDIT CARD. WE LOVE GETTING A COMPANION FREE TICKET IF WE USE OUR CARD ENOUGH IN ONE YEAR. WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TREATED FAIR ON THE PHONE WHEN IT CAME TIME TO UP THE AMOUNT WE COULD USE.THEY HAVE A GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT IS EEASY TO GET AHOLD OF AND HELP WITH OUR PROBLEMS. THEY ARE SO GOOD TO FOLLOW UP IF WE HAVE A COMPLAINT ABOUT ANYTHING.

Cristiana

February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It took a long time to American Express accept my husband and I as a customer even thou we having good credit score. We only have the card because of Costco.

Sarah Wright

February 11th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Amex card. Easy customer service and lots of benefits make this a card worth having, even with the annual fee. The rewards alone easily pay for this.

Steve Anderson

February 11th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been pleased with American Express. I have had my card for several years now. I use my American Express to pay ALL of my bills and other purchases. I've never had to pay late fees or penalty fees so I don't know what that part of the game is like. I make it a point to pay my monthly bills on time and 100%. If you can do that without fail, then they are a good card to have. For me, I like the frequent flier miles and the free baggage I get with my Delta American Express. What I get from that card makes the year fee worthwhile. I have run into only a few places that won't take this card, but I always carry another card with me in case I run into a store that won't take my American Express.

Myah Smith

February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have loved having an American Express card. There are good deals often that allow me to get free stuff. I have not had any problems with it.

Brennan

February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have found my American Express to be very underwhelming. The rewards aren't easy to redeem and use and it feels like the annual fees are too high. I wouldn't get an AMEX card if you are looking into them.

Kristiane R Durfey

February 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have and use our American Express on a regular basis. We love the ease of use and the rewards that we get through them. Interest rate isn't great but as long as you pay off the balance every month it isn't a problem. The card is accepted most places too.

JAKE

February 8th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used American Express for a long time. Their customer service is good and they usually respond quickly and are very helpful. I do like their reward program options. They have a lot of different companies available to choose from. They have added a lot more companies that you can get gift cards to.

Brody B

February 7th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been underwhelmed by my American Express card. The perks aren't great and customer service is less than helpful. I would look into other options before enrolling with American Express.

Erika

February 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We use our American Express all the time and have really liked it. Their customer service responds quickly and are very helpful. Their online platform is great and really easy to use. I have always had a great experience with their online chat/help. Also we like their rewards program.

Jen Paxman

February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am fairly new to American Express. I have one of the Delta cards and I absolutely love it. The airline benefits are amazing, and have made it so we can take our family of 5 to Hawaii and not have to pay for a single ticket!!! Their customer service is so amazing to work with and are always kind and helpful. It is very easy to pay my bill online as well. I would, and do, recommend this card to anyone looking for a great airline card.

Charles Alexander

February 6th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had been their customer since 1999, they provided excellent service, but have not looked out for my interests when I was scammed

Ann Bailey

February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love that I can get frequent flyer miles and build up points with purchases. I wish they didn't charge an annual fee to use their services. Their prompts to make payments are quick and easy though.

Laurie Willis

February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy to use website & app. Makes things easy to track & make quick payments. Great customer service.

Denna Collier

February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service and easy use of sky miles. Interest rate is too high compared to other cards

Virginia Rosenthal

February 5th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've loved using my American Express card for over 20 years now. The perks I get from the points when I use it comes in handy. The customer service is great and easy to use when redeeming points.

Cindy Bailey

February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I don’t like having to pay an annual fee so we dont use them anymore. I want a card that is free.

Kent

February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have an American Express card but I only use it when I have to. The cost to have the card is too much. And many times they charged me for services i didn't request. I had to cancel the services several times before they stopped charging me.

Jason Brown

February 3rd, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have the AMEX Delta card and have enjoyed the service. I get an immediate update every time I use the card. I have never had an issue using it in other countries either.

janalee sanders

February 1st, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

we use AmEx often. they have a competitive rebate program that benefits us. I once had a problem that needed resolving regarding a purchase not made by me and AmEx resolved it no questions asked.

Lindsey A Brown

January 31st, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great perks and bonuses by being an American Express cardholder. We use it all the time now as our main card so that we can earn the points and turn them in for awesome stuff.

Lori Fletcher

January 30th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

American Express fees are so high and not everyone accepts them. It’s not worth it.

Sadie Salisbury

January 17th, 2019 Draper, UT

My first card was an Amex card and I loved it! It was so convenient and worked everywhere I went! I loved the customer service I received whenever I needed it. I recommend American Express for everyone and anyone!

Kymberlee Yack

January 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

i love amex! the best part about them is i have it linked with other things so everytime i use it i'm getting points for certain stuff, like airline points.

Dasha Directo

January 8th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

American Express is a trustworthy company. I've had a credit card with them and had no problems. The only thing that sucks is that some places don't take american express.

Darius Williams

December 13th, 2018 Alexandria, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

very friendly reps. helped me find a credit car that was just for my needs at .

Katie Kearney

December 11th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like my Amex card, the only downside is that there are still so many places that will not accept Amex cards which can be so frustrating!

Melinda

December 7th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

American Express is my preferred credit card and I have been a cardholder for over 20 years. I love the points you earn for money spent. I have a platinum AMEX and the customer service is great.

Cori Jacobsen Ollerton

December 7th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Why does AMEX charge a yearly service fee? I have multiple cards and only pay a fee with AMEX. They seem to have higher rates as well.

TyGuy

December 7th, 2018 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've used AMEX for all by company purchases and have had no complaints. I think they have better perks than my regular cash back Visa card.

Fernando Delgado

December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had great experience with American express i have been able to get great discounts by using the American Express card and saving me a lot of money. Just make sure you pay it off before the end of the month :)

Shauna Craig

December 6th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like American Express but there are fewer places accepting it because of the high cost to the stores. I liked the fact that they didn't charge me a fee as long as I paid my bill in full every month.