Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar energy systems.

The company is one of the most talked about solar panel installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

Go Directly to Vivint Smart Home Customer Reviews

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Warranty Coverage
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, solar loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the solar PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to utilize alternative energy and save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Warranty Coverage

Vivint Solar offers a number of warranties for customers who select a solar purchase or a solar loan. For example, the solar installer offers a workmanship warranty that guarantees its work will be free from material defects for 10 years.

In addition, each solar panel system's panels carry a 25-year linear performance warranty, and inverters carry minimum 10-year manufacturers' warranties.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract with the solar company: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels to their new roof at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint salesperson about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in all 50 states, as well as in Washington D.C. and the Virgin Islands.

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power and clean energy with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPA typically requires customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get their solar system running after the installation was complete.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality customer service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

3.2

Leslie C Daniels

August 28th, 2018 Palmdale, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When we spoke with the Vivint rep we discussed a purchase and lease and decided to go with the purchase. The rep told us any time we wanted the panels cleaned just give them a call. A date was set for the install. The employees showed up a few days later and began to install the system. The second day the installer had me sign the paperwork for the installation, later I found out it was for a lease. A few days later I received call from Vivint telling me the rep will be coming my residence to discuss the system. He never showed up. My wife called Vivint recently to have the panels cleaned and she was told "we don't do that". After the install screws and clamps have been falling off my roof and we had one tile fall from the edge of the roof as well.

Aug 28, 2018

Hi Leslie, We're sorry to hear that you've had a frustrating experience. Can you please send your address to so we can look further into your account? Thank you for the review.

Karl clarke

August 23rd, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Company is a joke. Their sales manager MARK S is the real joke. He trains his Salesmen to be sleezy and lie to you. They need to get rid of this guy.

Aug 27, 2018

Karl, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can locate your account to further assists with your concerns.

Dave Gonzalez

August 21st, 2018 Hasbrouck Heights, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had our solar panels for a while now Sales was very nice and professional Never felt any pressure At the time, we had about 8 homes in my town in Northern NJ with solar panels from Vivint I visited each homeowner, all positive reviews I checked with the town, no complaints filed We signed the contract My 1st PSE&G bill had an overall credit of around $11,( gas, electric and maintenance coverage) But, now I feel like the savings are no where close to what I had hoped for I wish I could just get them removed Just disappointed But, I do not have anything negative to say about the company

Aug 22, 2018

Hi Dave, we appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Remember, the panels produce more in the longer days of summer and that you pay for the energy the panels produce. As the seasons change towards shorter days, the energy production will decrease and so will the billing. Thank you for going solar with us!

Carolyn Wysong

August 20th, 2018 Oceanside, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was not in a great hurry to get solar, so the long lead time was not a problem. My sales rep, Brandi, did a great job telling me upfront about the long lag time. She still answers any questions I have. It was perfect for me: no capital investment on my part and a big reduction in my energy bill. I highly recommend them.

Aug 21, 2018

Thank you for the great review, Carolyn! We love hearing from our happy customers and we are glad Brandi has been taking good care of you. We appreciate your business.

Unhappy Customer

August 17th, 2018 Eugene, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Misleading sales practices, opaque requirements, unhelpful customer service, stay away. There are plenty of good companies out there, avoid this company.

Aug 21, 2018

We're sorry you feel this way. We would like to hear more about your experience, so we can work to remedy the situation. Please email us at with more information on your interaction, as well as your address, so we can look further into your experience. Thank you for your feedback.

Ty Christensen

August 16th, 2018 Paso Robles, CA

Hello. When I called for support, I was on hold for over 30 minutes. Then the woman that helped me was aggressive & rude. She hung on me after I consistently kept asking for a supervisor. She refused to answer my general questions or send me to some one that could. There are better companies out there.

Aug 21, 2018

Hi Ty, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience of going solar. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Michael W

August 13th, 2018 Stockton, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible company. My wife was upset with me for signing up with Vivint Solar after our experience with Vivint Alarm. Bryce J. led me to believe that the system would be monitored by Vivint and I would be notified if system fell more than 5% of expected production. Bryce also said we would receive a $200 credit for each referral, we referred 2 people and never received the credit or check. Called Vivint customer service and was told my wife and I had mistook what he said, The lady said she would have to ask Bryce if he told us that. She told us he said we were lying. I noticed my NEM was high at the end of the third year of solar service, checked the solar meter at the side of my house and found that only 23 of 31 panels were working. After 5 calls to their customer service, we finally got a service technician out. He said he would have to check if the faulty parts were under warranty still, and permission to replace them. After that service call only 18 panels worked. Next service call took 2 trips to get the system fixed. 2 weeks later, 3 panels quit working. Equipment doesn't work properly. Frustrating, they know they have a 20 year contract and you can't break it without paying ridiculous charges, or purchasing the faulty system, Beware of Vivint companies.

Aug 21, 2018

Michael, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to so that we may locate your account to further assist you.

Brian Arellano

July 30th, 2018 Stockton, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had Vivint Solar panels put on my roof in August of 2017. Today is July 28 2018, and nothing is running yet. I was told by the salesperson that it should be from 4-17 weeks for all paperwork and inspections to be done. Well we are just about 52 weeks in and Vivint Solar is not working. My system should have been on since January 2018, but since it was raining and not much sun out I wasn't really worried. But once the sun started to come out I starting getting a bad feeling so I started calling. So many excuses and they were all directed at PGE. So I asked to speak to supervisor but none available. I was told a supervisor would call me back the next day, that was months ago and I yet to hear from a supervisor. The only way I got there attention was after I started posting reviews like this one on different social media platforms. I posted on the Vivint Solar website, yelp, bbb, consumer affairs, Call Kurtis from the news, solar reviews, Google reviews, and now this one. I have an annual payment due in a couple months and have asked Vivint Solar to help with that since my system hasn't even been up any part of this year. But the rep is giving me the run around. I have emailed the Vivint Solar CEO twice already and can't get help from him either, so to all that are looking into solar, please please please do not even look at Vivint Solar. Save the headache and go elsewhere.

Jul 31, 2018

Hi Brian, we're sorry for the frustrations you've experienced. Your Case Manager will continue to assist in getting this issues resolved.

timothy coyne

July 27th, 2018 Hazlet, NJ

horrible and rude salesmen .district manager cameron catmull pulled permits without my knowledge ! his price was 4k to 5 k more than other service , never gave me a price just said 24to 25 k . also did not listen to me and did lose the sale ! i am sick and disabled from 911 due to being a first responder with nypd ! his behavior was horrible . i told him i wanted to buy the system ....he tried to sell me a leased solar plan when said i wanted to buy system ! buyer beware . the township now has delayed me in getting myna solar system . i cannot get my new system until i have the fees paid for by vivant solar ! delays ! terrible sales tactics

Jul 31, 2018

Hi Timothy, we're very sorry to hear that you had this experience with us. Please accept our apology and thank you for all the good you've done!

Timothy

July 23rd, 2018 Long Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

WARNING!!!!PLEASE, PLEASE and PLEASE DON’T DO IT!!!! this people will send their agents to lie and talk you into it and promised you that your.15 rate will never go up for 20years contract LIE! LIE!!and LIE!!! What the agent will tell you will be different from the sign contact. Your bills will go up every YEAR. Please learn from my mistakes of trusting people .WARNING. I will give them (1 STAR)

Jul 24, 2018

Hi Timothy, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Thank you for the feedback.

Patti

July 23rd, 2018 El Cajon, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company is worthless. You call them for changes on your bill and a new card. But won’t do it. Do to the billing is going out and callback Monday. These people don’t care about your financial needs just there’s. I feel this business is a scam because they always throw in the 20 year contract when I talk to them. There just money hungry

Jul 24, 2018

Hi Patti, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Thank you for the feedback.

Maria Arias

July 20th, 2018 Lodi, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.... DON'T DO IT.... STAY AWAY.... Horrible process from beginning to end.... My end is near... started process in 2017 may. Finally in January of 2018 had vivint solar panels turned on 24 hour monitoring (NOT) My system has been down for over 1 month. took almost a week for a repair person to find out whats going on. THEY NEED TO ORDER A DAMAGED PART (NOT IN STOCK), WHICH TAKES 2 TO 3 WEEKS TO ARRIVE. 5 OR 6 CALLS 5-6 VOICEMAILS TO SENIOR REPS SENT 4 EMAILS WAITED ON HOLD FOR ALMOST AN HOUR, WITH NO RETURN CALLS NO HELP

Jul 23, 2018

Hi Maria, we're sorry to hear you've had this frustrating experience. Please send an email with your address to , so we can look into your account. We would like to help resolve your concerns, thank you.

david ip

July 18th, 2018 Schenectady, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

A sales rep came to my door and tricked me into this 20 year contract. First, he said based on my usage with Nationalgrid it would about $110/month. But Vivint installed a over kill system on my roof which I am only using half of what it produces but they bill me $250 a month. I contacted the rep but no response and the company stated he is no longer working for Vivint. What a joke this is? Vivint told me I cant proof what the sales rep told me. Secondly, during the winter, snow and ice slide off the roof above the front door and almost buried my 10 year son. This was complained to Vivint and they suggested to install a "snow guard" at my own expenses which is about $1500. Vivint would not retire any panels as of this writing so I don't have to pay any over production that I don't use. Don't do any business with Vivint.

Jul 19, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, David. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Cecilia castillo

July 18th, 2018 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Please do now use this company they been turning on my solar panels since 12/17 and we are now on 7/18 and guess what they haven’t turn them on. They have lied to me every time I call them they tell me we r working on hiring a third party for the final inspection... I have started paying on my loan so I’m stuck with paying and solar panels. It working. Us timer service is horrible they say they will call you back and they don’t... I’m looking into hiring a lawyer. Please find your self a good company someone that cares for the customers the manager can’t even talk to you because his a manager and don’t talk to customers. CraG I have never heard anything like that.

Jul 19, 2018

Hi Cecilia, We're sorry to hear you've had a frustrating experience. Please send your address to so we can look further into your account.

Penny Gonzalez

July 18th, 2018 Santa Paula, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I wish I could not give any stars at all. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with! Do NOT let Vivant Solar near your roof or even one of their representatives in your house! They are a cheating company, they lie to you about your savings, their equipment fails and expects YOU to advise them. Hello, isn't that the Company's responsibility to monitor your equipment???? Apparently not, that is why they continued to charge my CC monthly on what they thought / guessed would be my usage. Really, I ended up at the end of the year having paid Vivant because they had automatic payment arrangements, and the electric company at the end of the year at a whopping price of $1220 for the time My equipment was not working that I did not know about. Now guess what after 1.5 yrs I need a new roof which I was told Vivant should have never installed their equipment on my roof which was 24 yrs old at the time. I told the company representative, Darin, the roof was older than 20 yrs. Vivant didn't care about how old the roof was, as long as I didn't have a leak, the only thing they cared about was to get their equipment installed and started getting my money instead of me giving it to the electric company. Now with having to have the solar panels removed they are charging over $2000 to remove and reinstall. I wish I could just have them take their faulty equipment away except I'm stuck into a 20 yr contract with them. DO NOT EVER DO BUSINESS WITH VIVANT SOLAR,!

Jul 19, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Penny. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

james ursino

July 18th, 2018 Brentwood, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

stay away. customer service wont return my calls STAY AWAY STAY AWAY STAY AWAY

Jul 19, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, James. If you had a personal experience with Vivint Solar, we would like to hear more about it. Please send us a private message with more details. Thank you.

Karl

July 16th, 2018 Fullerton, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We were promised by our sales rep that there would be no cost to remove the panels if roof repairs ever became necessary. Due to the poor work of the installers, our roof began leaking 2 months after the installation. When we contacted Vivint, they tried to make us pay $2000 to remove the panels, so we contacted the sales rep. He promised to get the fee waived for us, but then refused to return our calls. We read through the paperwork we were given when we signed the contract and found where it showed a $499 fee for the removal of the panels, but Vivint has refused to honor the rate. We filed a written complaint and have followed the dispute terms listed in our contract, but vivint has refused to respond. They have been holding our roof hostage for 7 months. They are not concerned about the damage their work does to the houses of their customers. They employ dishonest sales tactics and refuse to honor their contacts.

Jul 17, 2018

Hi Karl, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Please send an email with your address to , so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thank you

Jill Ann Floyd

July 16th, 2018 Marysville, CA

Our experience with Vivint was completely positive. We met with our sales Rep Eric, were approved for a loan, were surveyed and up an running in less than 3 weeks. No damage whatsoever and we just got our first bill. $24 for gas. If there are any issues I contact Eric and he takes care of it. I don't understand why most of these reviews are so negative, but our experience was 100% positive.

Jul 17, 2018

Thank you for the great review, Jill! We love hearing from our happy customers and we appreciate your business.

Eric

July 11th, 2018 Galesville, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivint Solar is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with as a consumer and allowing them to install solar panels on my home was the biggest mistake I ever made as a property owner. I have never dealt with such an unethical company or such incompetent people. In June 2017, Vivint installed solar panels on my roof causing extensive damage across the entire surface where the panels were installed. They have not taken steps to have this damage repaired in order to stop water infiltration through the roof into my home, which has caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage to my home. They have offered to reimburse me for maybe a tenth of the costs to repair the damage. Holes were drilled into the roof and then left exposed. Shingles were ripped and torn allowing water to seep under and eventually through the roof decking. Flashing improperly installed around brackets. Debris that was strewn across my roof and lawn after the install. Each Vivint crew that showed up had no idea what they were supposed to be doing, let alone how to do it. One Vivint technician had to borrow my tools. It took Vivint six months to remove the panels and now they refuse to pay the cost to repair the damages. When it became apparent to Vivint that they had caused damage to my home, they sent me a settlement agreement offering to pay for a fraction of the total portion of the cost to repair the damage. If I had signed that agreement I would have waived my right to pursue Vivint for any further damage caused by their installation. This is their m.o. If you receive a settlement agreement from Vivint read it carefully and do not sign anything that nullifies your original power purchase agreement. For Vivint vustomers who haven't experienced leaks *yet* just wait. Most of you will at some point and Vivint will do little to nothing to take care of the problems. For some of you, depending on your state of residence, there are legal options outside of arbitration, despite what dishonest Vivint reps may tell you. First of all, contact your homeowners insurance agent, and make complaints to the state Attorney General, against their contractor's license, with the BBB, etc. Post your experience on social media. Contact local media outlets who do stories on companies that take advantage of consumers. Talking to a lawyer is always a good idea, if only for a consultation about your rights and how to recover damages in a legal action. If you are considering getting solar panels, I implore you to stay away from Vivint.

Jul 12, 2018

Eric, We’re sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced during your time with Vivint Solar. Your assigned representatives will be reaching out to you soon to further discuss this situation in greater detail.

Jennifer Xanthos

July 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT

We installed solar panels on our home in Alpine, UT in November 2016. The system has been consistently producing what our salesman told us it would produce and our average bill has been $8.96 with Rocky Mountain Power, which is the minimum charge. We have saved thousand of dollars so far! This may be the best investment we have made on our home!!

Jul 10, 2018

Hi Jennifer, We love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar! Thank you for leaving your feedback.

T Williams

July 10th, 2018 Riverside, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We recently bought a house with Vivint already installed. First off Vivint allowed their salesperson to put an 89 yr old woman who was bed ridden into a 20 yr lease. When we called Vivint before the sale the CSR stated that the panels produced about 90% of the energy needed for the home. She refused to answer any questions about the companies dealings with the elderly or give us any info on the contract Vivinthad with the previousowner. Mind you at this time we didn't know this was a lease AND neither did her family (she had passed away) we bought the house from the family and then found out the panels were leased for 20 yrs, as did the family. We called Vivint they refused to take any responsibility for selling to an elderly woman (who come to find out was incapable of making the decision). Sad. We are going fight the lease along with the family. The type of people who would prey on an old lady are the lowest of the low. I'll update the review after we meet with the attorney.

Jul 10, 2018

Hi T Williams, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into this issue. We appreciate your feedback.

rose

July 10th, 2018 Antioch, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I cant tell you how much I hate your billing I feel like getting my doctor to put me on a stress leave just because of your stupid billing. I cant pay the bill because I cant get a paper statement and I cant sign in because you keep telling me my sign in is wrong, then I go to get a new password and your telling me my email is wrong...the only email I have. So if you want a payment send me a bill!!!!! I am going to write to BBB as well. I am a surviving spouse of a 100% disabled American Veteran along with being a senior citizen and your company is the only one that wont work with me. I will write to my congressman. I wish I knew this before I signed up.

Jul 10, 2018

Hi Rose, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your billing experience with us. Will you please send an email with your address to , so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thank you!

Elizabeth Churchill

June 28th, 2018 Villas, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The sales rep was nice. It took forever to get the approvals. The first year when we compared the bills it seemed like we saved about $5o a month, Ok.... then we were getting calls that they had to fix something. Multiple service appointments. And now there is no savings at all to the bill,

Jun 29, 2018

Hi Elizabeth, We're sorry to hear about your experience. If you would like us to look further into your account, please send your address to .

Dennis Avila

June 28th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We just got the system activated on June 18th 2018, after a year of processing and paperwork we were very exiting that we could turn on the system and go green and save some bucks on our electricity bill. For our unpleasant surprise we noticed that the system is not even producing the 50% of the energy we are using and this is summer when the system should be producing at least 90% of our usage as we were told by our sales rep Guillermo S. during the various visits he did to our house while we were making the decision if it will work for us or not. He also explained us that according to the usage they could adjust the amount of panels we need either adding more or taking some down. So we went ahead and start the process and patiently waited 14 month until everything was ready to go , in the mean time we even went ahead and repair our roof so everything was optimal. Guillermo was very available for us during the process and answer our questions before June 18th 2018 the day the system was ready to come alive. Since we can monitor the system production online we started to do that from day 1, and that is where we noticed that consistently the system have been producing like 30% of our usage for this summer months when it was supposed to be producing at least 90% according to what we were told. I have been trying to contact Guillermo several times about the issue and had not answer. I did contact Sean and he told me he will pass on the concerns to Guillermo since he does not work with him anymore. Today I was contacted back by Sean and he basically told me that we are stock FOR 20 years with a system that does not fit our needs because Nevada does not allow to add more panels. Why we weren't told that from the beginning? We were lied to so they could get us to sing the contract . We really feel upset and disappointed about what is happening because now our electricity bills are going to be way higher than what they were we NVEnergy , we are not even going to be able to pay the same we were paying before, when we were promised we were going to be at least saving some money. This is sounding like an scam to us. I already sent an email to [email protected], like you recommend to complainers do on this site .

Jun 29, 2018

Hi Dennis, thank you for sending us information to our online address. We will contact you today!

Jon Santos

June 26th, 2018 Honolulu, HI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is a follow up to a review on June 20, 2018 on VIVANT Solar. After writing this review and making a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Utah, I was contacted by a VIVANT representative by phone and email. Since then we have been playing phone tag trying to resolve my issue with VIVANT. In the meantime I have discovered through my bank that VIVANT solar has placed two liens on the property without my parents knowledge. So for those who have contracts with VIVANT I would check on this because it may cause problems with loans and other things for your property. I also had a building inspector co e to my parents home to do an inspection for the solar to be put up. After talking with the inspector from the city, I found out the permit was submitted in May after we contacted VIVANT we wanted the solar to be removed. And when the solar was first put up back in 2014 there was no one from the city to come and do a building inspection on my parents home. Also, why didn’t vivnat notify my parents that they needed a building permit to put solar on their roof. VIVANT also sent me an email letting my parents know that if they want out of the contract with VIVANT it would cost them $50,000. So please be careful when dealing with this company because they do things without homeowners knowledge.

Jun 20, 2018

Hi Jon, we apologize for the trouble. We are looking into this and doing our best to resolve your situation. Thank you for your patience.

Tammy Messina

June 26th, 2018 West Newbury, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst company ever, they keep canceling my appointments to fix whatever new problem I have now!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!! I keep getting the run around from the cs department BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE!!!!

Jun 27, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Tammy. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Jose Gonzalez

June 26th, 2018 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My name is Jose Gonzalez from Bakersfield Ca my experience with Vivint was fair until I ran into a pigeon nesting problem underneath the solar panels. The pigeons have made my roof a nightmare there is a lot of noise and bird droppings all over the patio system. I no longer look out my bedroom window because it makes me upset all over again. Simply the problem is the solar panels are to raised giving the birds and nesting place and a place to get out of the direct sunlight. I spoke to customer service a while back and they said they would charge me to fix the problem with there panels, after the failed attempt once to put a surrounding net to keep the birds out. I can sincerely say I wish I would have never opened my front door to the salesmen that are gone to the next town leaving you hanging. I have been very patient with Vivint but it might be time to post the absolute nasty pictures of what my roof has become on social media to save anyone from the issues we have. By the way Incase you are wondering my neighbors have zero Pigeons on there roofs!

Jun 27, 2018

Hi Jose, we're sorry to hear about your frustrations concerning the pigeons on your roof. As you mentioned, customers can purchase Animal Guards to go around the panels to prevent this from happening. Please follow up with our Customer Service department, 877-404-4129, Option 3. Thank you!

Wendi schmidt

June 26th, 2018 Apple Valley, CA

rofessional and timely. Very satisfied so far. Will recommend to family and friends. Great savings. Jason P. was our sales Rep and was very informative and accommodating. Always wanted to do solar but very skeptical until Vivint came along but feel confident in their product.

Jun 27, 2018

Thank you for leaving us your feedback, Wendi! We’re happy to hear that Jason did a great job. We appreciate your business and referrals.

frank o okungbowa

June 25th, 2018 Zephyrhills, FL

I have had Vivint for about a year. When i signed up for it, i told them i will be replacing my roof the follow year. i wanted to wait before buying the solar system. I asked how much it would cost to take the panels off if i needed to redo the roof. I was told $500 to $1000, then i decided to buy. Now that i want to change the roof they are telling me $2000 to remove and install. I made a big mistake dealing with Vivint, Wish i could just take the solar off , it costing me more than i will ever save! Don;t let the salesmen sweet talk you because the words are not trusted.

Jun 26, 2018

Hi Frank, we appreciate you as a customer and for taking the time to give this review. We're sorry that you have had a frustrating experience with going solar. Please send your address or account number to , if you would like us to follow up with you.

Judy White

June 25th, 2018 Palm Springs, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’m in Palm Springs, Ca. And have had a perfect experience with Vivint. Everything went smoothly as promised by our rep, Christine. It did take 3 months from start to finish but we were informed that it could take that long. We did the PPA agreement and were told of the 2.9% increase each year. That’s equal to abou 1/4 Penny. Edison goes up about 10% each year around here. We would recommend Vivint and have recommended Vivint to our friends. We got $250.00 from Christine and Vivint for one neighbors referral. We have to wait for the other 2 to be finished to get our other $500. One thing Vivint did was to upgrade our electric panel to make the Solar work. We were not charged a penny. Another company wanted $2000.00. The other thing I liked about Vivint is that their panels are American made.

Jun 26, 2018

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Judy! We love hearing that you've had a positive experience with us and we appreciate the referrals! Thank you for choosing us to go solar.

Aaron Guerra

June 20th, 2018 Visalia, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I can’t give negative starts! So A sales rep came to my house, they explained how California was having a hard time keeping up with energy demand and that they can install solar panels in my home 100% free of charge, and I would never have to pay thing. Basically help California produce more energy to keep up with the demand . The rep told me I would never have to pay a thing, but that they needed my account, and routing number information just to have it on file . Explain to me that I would receive a regular bill, and still pay for the energy that I would be using on a discounted rate so I would be paying a little less on energy while helping California produce more energy still only paying the energy that I would be using now Out of no where I get charged over $160 and the company is telling me that I have to pay for all of the energy that is being produced . Why did anyone ever explain this to me! I get charged more money that I can afford to pay; my energy bill was never that high to begin with . The way they explained it to me is basically we’re going to borrow your roof put solar panels on it, and it wil produce more energy for California, and you pay your energy bill at a discounted rate . I feel like I’m part of a scam because now they’re just taking my money that I’m having a hard enough time making, while just barely taking care of all of my financial responsibilities, and all the medical problems , and illnesses that my daughter has. I cannot afford this. I’ve made several attempts to contact management department and explain how everything transpired in this situation that I find myself in . Every single phone call that I’ve had so far has basically just reminded me that I’m on a 20 your contract, and there is literally nothing that they’re doing for me they won’t transfer me to a supervisor they will not transfer me to any management, VIviant Solar is pushing me around , and not giving me any direct answers. Im very disappointed in these business practices. People are being lied to, and taken advantage of. Every month I call, and try to speak to someone. All they do is intimate the customer and remain them about the 20 year Contract that they lied about. I never received nor did I have the opportunity to review a copy of this contract until the day I called to complained. They said they would email me one. This is absolutely ridiculous. I told them the rep had written down some stuff while explaining all this, they told me to send them that information, I did via email. Now they won’t even get in Contact with me, but still send me notifications of how my bill is due again! I’m contacting BBB! For all people out there, don’t allow yourself to get scammed.

Jun 20, 2018

Aaron, we are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. We have created a case for you and will have a specialist reach out to you before the end of the week. The specialist will work with you and discuss your account while working to remedy the situation in a timely manner.

Marina E Georgiev

June 18th, 2018 Sun City, AZ

I purchased the property on May 10th with the already solar panels however the system wasn't connected to APS until June 4th however Vivint wants to charge from the beginning. They should prorated the bill as I wasn't able to used it the system. So far I didn't received a print statement from them, they gave me the amount over the phone and I insisting on a writing statement. Today I am sending a complaint to the Attorneys General as reading all the complaints, they should stop them to do any more business in Arizona.

Jun 08, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Marina. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into this situation you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Bernie Julio

June 18th, 2018 San Diego, CA

From Sales rep. Doug, Roof Inspector Chris and Installer Abraham so far have been very professional and informative. Definitely will recommend Vivint Solar to my neighbors, friends and family

Jun 20, 2018

Hi Bernie, we really appreciate the feedback about your experience with Vivint Solar and very glad to hear that Doug, Chris, and Abraham took great care of you!

Paul Yu

June 15th, 2018 Livingston, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The Solar System was installed in 10/2017, but still have not turned on. Constant issues with its paperwork, engineering department, interconnect department. I am notified that it will be an indefinite wait. I payed over $20K + up front in 6/2017. It has been a year and I got nothing. I contract a 6.44 kw system, but they only installed 5.33 kw. Then I caught the mistake, they added more panels. However, the blueprint / engineering design / permits were all messed up due to its own mistakes. I am in the unnecessary holding pattern now. Called Customer service and relationship department. They offer me $200 to compensate the lost. I must be a joke or something! Ready for class action against Vivint if they keep the same pattern of irresponsible behaviors.

Jun 15, 2018

Hi Paul, we are so sorry to hear that you have had this frustrating experience. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

George

June 14th, 2018 Henderson, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

At the beginning the staff was very friendly especially the sales rep Willy (G.) and seemed like they went out of their way to answer any questions. The deal was wrapped up fairly quickly and before I knew it my alarm/ cameras were being installed. I was overpromised by Willy that this would be a quick install and 8 hours later the job was finally finished. I didn't really mind how long it took for the install as I know unforeseen things come up during installs. A few months later my solar panels were installed, a few months after that NV Energy conducted a final inspection and failed the install. Nobody from Vivint could be reached to get this sorted out and Once I would get in touch with someone I kept getting passed along and nobody would take responsibility. Finally a tech came out and made the necessary adjustments and the inspection passed. 2 months later I'm being double charged for my power. NV energy and Vivint are both billing me around the same amount. Again I can't reach anyone. Willy passed me off to someone else and neither of them are answering calls or texts. I called the 800 number that was given to me and I was told that my system is not registering any production yet I am still being doubly charged for power. NV energy confirmed that I have been using power from the grid and that I have not consumed any solar power. The cameras they installed work about half the time and when I try to speak to them about the camera problems I'm told that they don't deal with the cameras that's a 3rd party that's in charge of the camera system. The interesting part about this is that Vivint claimed they kept everything in house. Stay away from these no good crooks.

Jun 15, 2018

Hi George, We're sorry to hear that you had this experience. Please send your address to so we can look further into your account. Thank you

Celeste Thompson

June 14th, 2018 Rio Rancho, NM

My experience with Vivint Solar was very positive. The company representative I worked with was Gerro P. He made certain that I understood each aspect of the process by clearly explaining what to expect and clarifying the ways solar will be a benefit to me as a homeowner along with how it will benefit the environment. He kept me well informed and always got back to me promptly when I did have a question.

Jun 15, 2018

Hi Celeste, we really appreciate the feedback about your experience with Vivint Solar and very glad to hear that Gerro took great care of you!

Efren Estebat

June 13th, 2018 San Diego, CA

We are well informed prior installation of the equipment. Sean and the crew are all very knowledgable and you can ask them anything about it.

Jun 14, 2018

Hi Efren, Thank you for your review and we're glad that the sales and installation teams did a great job! Thank you for your business.

Ernest Desmarais

June 12th, 2018 Bellingham, MA

My system has been in place for two months and it isn't turned on. My electric company sent me an email because they put my system turn on on hold. The system inspection performed by Vivint and the town electrical inspector said that the system was good to go. But the report was never sent to the electric company so that they could change my meter. I checked with the town inspector and he told me that Vivint is suppose to mail in the inspection report. I checked in with the electric company and they never got the inspection report. I called Vivint technical support several times. It's like talking to the wall. They don't care. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that I was talking to a supervisor. He wasn't interested in helping me out. He figured that he had done enough and after two months I am still without my solar power. when I told the supervisor that I was losing money by not running the system, he told me that the system didn't cost me money so how could I be losing money. I wouldn't go with Vivint if I had to do it again. They just don't care. I'd find someone else to put in panels.

Jun 12, 2018

Hi Ernest, We're so sorry to hear about your experience. We would love to help look further into your account. Could you please send your address to so that we can provide you with a better experience. Look forward to hearing from you, thank you.

Becky Dickey

June 8th, 2018 Waldorf, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great experience working with Vivint to put solar panels on two homes. Our salesperson Andrew was very knowledgeable and helpful every step of the way. Installation went great for both and now we’re approved and activated. So glad we decided to get solar panels and glad we chose Vivint to do it!

Jun 12, 2018

We love hearing from our customers, thank you for leaving your feedback, Becky! We are so happy to hear that you've had a positive experience with us. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar.

Jessica Harrison

June 8th, 2018 Yorba Linda, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great company. Great personnel. Zack is so helpful! We recently needed an upgrade to our system because we were using more power and he patiently and friendly walked us through all our questions. We have loved our Vivint Solar experience for the past 4 yours and would highly recommend them for all your solar needs.

Jun 12, 2018

Thank you for leaving us your feedback Jessica! We’re happy to hear that Zack did a great job an took great care of you. Thank you for you doing business with us and we look forward to working with you more.

Juan Orozco

June 5th, 2018 Wharton, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My electric bill is basically the same ...how i really know if a saving even a penny?

Jun 05, 2018

Hi Juan, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into the issue you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Shiny Palilodath

June 5th, 2018 Lodi, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am not at all satisfied with this agency. They didn't install enough panels, because of that I am not getting any saving in my energybill. Actually l am paying extra which is terrible. I contacted them several times and they are not responding to my issues , they are redirecting my calls to different departments. Be careful with their sales reps, they will tell you no cost of you and ask you to write $1 check and from there they collect money directly from your bank. So be careful dealing with them

Jun 06, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Shiny. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Dani Patterson

June 4th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV

I have been waiting since March for solar service. They have a consistent problem with paperwork and communication within. This company is way to slow in profiding decent customer service. If I could go back I would not choose this company for my solar needs. The reason they got two stars is that the contact people have been polite.

Jun 06, 2018

Hi Dani, We know that the solar process can be a lengthy one and we apologize that proper expectations weren’t set. If you email your address to , we can see if there is anything we can do to expedite this for you. Thank you!

Lamar

May 25th, 2018 Goodyear, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am very disappointed in the after-sales care and performance of my 11.2kW system. Very slow from signing to operating. We signed paperwork mid-June 2017, the install was Aug 25th and we did authorization to operate until Dec 1. Looking at bills now I am not convinced that they system will save any money at all and to top it off I have a pigeon infestation that is going to cost $800-$1000 to clean up and fix. My neighbor just had solar installed with another company, exact same floor plan as ours and animal guards were included on his system. Even if we save $50-$75 per month we won't see any savings for another 18 months or so. If I had it all to do again I would not do solar or at least I would have shopped around more and avoided Vivint Solar for sure.

May 30, 2018

We're sorry you feel this way, Lamar. We would like to hear more about your experience, so we can work to remedy the situation. Please email us at with more information on your interaction, as well as your address, so we can look further into your experience. Thank you for your feedback.

Lorraine Ramirez

May 23rd, 2018 Sanger, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

tired of big corporations taking advantage of people. in 2014/ 2015 vivant installed solar panels on my roof. I was at work and got a call that they could only install 7 panels instead of what was needed but was promised that the panels would be sufficient. I signed the work order stating 7 panels were placed. 2,000 NEM bill, Customer Service rep and Sup kept telling me : don't worry and don't pay the NEM as it will go down at the end of the cycle". well it did not and guess what I did not have 2,000 to pay so my electricity was shut off. had to pay 1,000 to turn it back on and make payments. this crappy company never helped out and or returned calls including the sales rep Chad Vogl ( hope the perks of the getting a sale was worth it ). only when the I filed a complaint with PG and E and filed a complaint with the BBB did any real communication start but it was more of you signed the contract and you are not living up to it as you are not paying the monthly fee on estimated cost. Estimated cost for panels that are not working and not no NEM being charged by PG & E. they stated that the panels were sufficient based on the sun and how my home sits. the house across the street faces the same direction as mine and guess what he has triple the panels. This company is a joke. looking for a good attorney right now.

Linna Wang

May 23rd, 2018 Escondido, CA

On May 16, 2018, a Vivint sales person, Scott, tried to trick me. He gave me a tablet and said "Please sign here to verify that I came and talked with you." The signature instruction actually said "by signing here it allows us to check your credit." I refused to sign, and told him sternly "I do NOT give you permission to run my credit." Guess what, that very day, I got an identity protection alert that Vivint solar checked my credit! when I called Vivint to complain, the guy on the phone said it is their common practice to check potential customer's credit with or without permission. So the deceptive practice is normal for Vivint solar.

May 24, 2018

We're sorry you feel this way, Linna. We would like to hear more about your experience, so we can work to remedy the situation. Please email us at with more information on your interaction, as well as your address, so we can look further into your experience. Thank you for your feedback.

Moe Demers

May 18th, 2018 Dracut, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had Vivint solar for several years now. I have had nothing but headaches from their customer service in Utah. After complaining for several times sending in 6 months worth of my electric bill for proof never getting an answer from anybody I decided to call them and tell them I was going to take the panels off and throw them down to my yard. Two days later two technicians showed up they checked out my system and I had 5 panels not working! This was going on for about 5 or 6 months. No one has returned any calls to me to give me any type of credit for this. I complained 3 times that something was wrong. So far I have had no use for Vivint solar.

May 19, 2018

Hi Moe, we are sorry to hear that you have had system performance concerns. We would like to help resolve these concerns. Can you please email us at with your address? We will look into this and do our best to help resolve this problem soon. Thank you for your patience.

Richard Basham

May 16th, 2018 Clovis, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

A representative for Vivint came to our door a year ago. Very misleading sales pitch. He said we woul be charged .16 cents per kilowatt hour which sounded great. What he didn’t tell us is that’s based off what the panels produce NOT what we use! We are saving absolutely nothing! Statements only show production not what we have used. He also pressured us when signing the contract. Said it’s just what I told you, just initial and sign here. He seemed so nice that we were too trusting. I have been so upset over this that I feel sick. Customer service has just given me the run around. I want an itemized bill! I can’t belive we are tied into a 20 year contract with these crooks. If I don’t get answers soon I guess I will have to resort to talking with an attorney. Please beware and look at all options because this one is awful!

May 17, 2018

Hi Richard, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Vivint Solar cannot bill on usage like a utility company, as we cannot guarantee how much energy the solar panels will produce. We do not warrant or guarantee savings, however when designing the system your current usage was taken in account to design a system that will help fit your needs. In the summer months your solar bill may be higher as you produce more energy, and if that energy is not used it will often be stored up and be applied as credits to use in the winter months with your utility. If you have additional questions and or concerns about your billing or production please send an email with your address to . Thank you for your feedback.

George/Susan Jessmer

May 16th, 2018 Ludlow, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had Vinvint solar for several years I have had no problems with the panels, my problem is that I refered possible new customers to them one has had the service for a year My review page or whatever it,s called has the name of one of these people on there 3 times my supposedly representative put them on . So far I have spoken to several supposedly customer representatives that said no problem I will get back to you. Well all I can say for the company is don,t expect to get any check and any return calls even though the names are on your so called site or whatever on the computer.

May 17, 2018

Hi George and Susan, We are glad to hear you are enjoying the panels! Will you please send an email with your address to , so we can look further into your referrals? Thank you for for the review.

Manny and Joan Motta

May 14th, 2018 Somerset, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been experiencing all kinds of problems with Vivint. We were told in November of 2017 that they were coming to check our panels. When asked if there was a problem we were told that 10 panels were down! When asked how long they were not working we were told since June of 2017 we are now in November of 2017 and no one knew that our panels were not working yet we are connected to the computer in home system that transmits directly to Vivint fir the energy produced and used. We called them several times for the high electric bills we were paying and it went on deaf ears. Yet we were told they were all working correctly and producing. Many of our friends were receiving very low electric bills and no bills from our NE service National Grid while we were being billed by National Grid and Vivint for bills well over $200.00. I would. Call and tell them something is definitely wrong but no one much cared. In November 2017 they set up a date to come in December but due to a dusting of snow which was gone the next day they were unable to check the panels. So they booked us for January, snow again. They came in March to check but said they did not have the correct tools with them and rebooked again after I had an argument that We were tired of the run around and no one truly were helping solve this problem! Yet we were still paying high electric bills. This time we were told that 15 panels were out. I had several conversations to the Vivint Co. in Utah. Finally they were sending two technicians to the house to fix now 18 panels that were down! They were to be here between 11am and 2pm. On April 7, 2018. My husband and I waited all day and no one came! At 3:45 pm I called Utah and spoke to a young man who said he would check to see why they didn’t come. I was told that they turned in a slip that the panels were fixed. He said they went to your house around 8am and left at 11:30am. I told this person that this was not true! For we were here and no one came to our home. Finally They gave me a contact in the Ma. Area . I spoke to the Mgr for district 1&2 in Ma. Told him the situation he said he would call me back in 1/2 an hour which he did. He set up a crew of 3 men to fix my panels. They called me at 7:15am to say they would be there in an hour. They arrived around 8:15am and did not leave our roof until 3:45pm. We were also told that the system would need 24-48 hours to be up and running but they were not sure how well they would be transmitting because the Envoy unit was not in the right place in our home that who ever installed it put it too far away from the unit that calculates the collection of energy verses the correct usage. So they booked an Electrician for May 15th to install a cable on the other side of the house and change the placement of the Envoy box so hopefully it will read correctly. I also had National Grid send them hard copies twice for our electric usage from January 2017 to April 2018 for we expect Compensation for the money due us for over billing us even with 18 panels down. It will be a year June 1st 2018 and the problem has not been resolved. I was told twice in the last 14 days that they did not receive the hard copies from National Grid yet a young lady in the Comp. dept. said she had received the information but they could not look at compensation until after the 15 th when the system is up and running. I received my hard copy three weeks ago and National Grid said they sent Vivint the day information. With all this going on and Vivint knowing g the problem us with their Company they had the audacity to bill me $188.00 for April Electric bill! I had the bank stop automatic bill payment to Vivint and reported this to A Mgr. at Vivint in Utah who agreed and was to speak to billing to eliminate this bill! My home is a medium size ranch with 48 panels! I should have very small bill from Vivint and no bill from National Grid as do my neighbors! Many have credit from Vivint and National Grid That has NEVER been our experience. We wish we had never installed solar panels, for we see no savings as was the big pitch before we accepted the panels. Plus paid $9,000, for a new roof to place the panels knowing our roof was still good for another 7-8 years we were told when Vivint came to first measure our roof for installment of the solar panels. The other problem is you can never talk to a Rep. from the Co. they are not available to speak to. You either get the first contact on the phone and they connect you to office people who really cannot fix this problem! VERY FRUSTRATING TO SAY THE LEAST! What I have stated is our true experience with Vivint Solar Co.

May 17, 2018

Hi Manny and Joan, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to , so we can look further into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!