Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar systems. The company is one of the most talked about solar installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

#1 Sungevity chevron_right
#2 Zenernet chevron_right
#3 Sunrun chevron_right
3.6

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint Solar sales rep about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in the following 21 states:

• Arizona
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Vermont

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPAs typically require customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get the system running.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

View Best Solar Companies

3.0

Michael Bulzomi

February 5th, 2018 Holbrook, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Company is terrible at repairing your system once you buy it. Been calling several times a week to get a repair person to my house, took 2 months.... He came late after dark and said I cant make a full assessment you need to reschedule, I did next appointment available 2 month wait again with no panels! I call several times speak to supervisors they cant even get anyone in to service my system that is suppose to be maintained by them. They dont care because guess what I bought the system and fianced it, so now they have no need to fix it fats they already got their money. Freaking joke between what the sales person says and what really happens in the company. The best kicker is that this is $37,000 system installed in april 2017 and system broke in July/August 2017. Now its Jan 2018 and still broken, this company sucks wish I went with almost anyone else. Thanks for nothing Vivint

Aaron Pierce

February 1st, 2018

Horrible experience with Vivint. They authorized and signed a contract with a tenant of my house without consulting the owners (me) and installed a system on my roof. Proving to customer solutions that the installation was illegal and should immediately be removed, they are no longer returning my calls or emails and are absolutely dragging their feet to remove system. I may have to sue the company for damages to my home just to get the system removed from my house.

Chris Hanke

February 1st, 2018 West Milford, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Don’t believe the Sales People with this company. I didn’t want Solar to begin with but the Sales Rep made sense. So we got installed and all was great. 4 months later and panels aren’t turned on and my first payment came out of my bank account. The sales rep is no where to be found and Vivint interconnection team can not get their stuff together for the paperwork the electric company is asking for .. so learn from me ... save the aggravation and don’t do it.

Lucie Schnell

January 31st, 2018 Levittown, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivint Solor just sent me an email regarding my $5.00 monthly discount. It stated that if I do not switch to Auto payment that I will lose this monthly discount. However, our sales rep Nathan stated that I could use my debit card and that would not be a problem. I spoke to the billing department and they state that it was written in the contract and that I should have read the contract. That is correct; however, they're placing many pages in front of you to read and sign one may miss a thing or two. I was wrong to trust my sales rep Nathan, because he stated it was okay to use my debit card and get the discount, but he never mentioned that it was dependent on auto payment. Vivint Solar has been giving this discount to their customers at their discretion and now they have decided to enforce their contract. I find this practice miss leading. It personally feel like bait and switch. They give you one thing and that to keep that one thing you must switch to what they want you to do. I know some of you will read this and think it's only $5.00, but to me it about the company's honesty and honoring their word. Just remember I am one customer writing a review on this topic. How many more are affect by this. Therefore, for them not honoring their word I am only giving them one star.

Randy wilson

January 29th, 2018 Indian Head, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First off i purchased my system. The install went great and the system produces more than i expected. I give them 1 star for the monitoring of the system. Like i said i bought my system, but Vivint Solar will not allow me to monitor the individual performance of the panels, just the overall system performance. When asked for the access to monitor by panel I am told that while i own my system they own the monitoring rights....hmmm

Jan 30, 2018

Randy we do apologize to hear about this. We would like to look into this for you to see if there is something we can do for you. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

Brian Tator

January 25th, 2018 Ghent, NY

Very professional and the whole process was quick and very clean and neat. Great co.

Jan 27, 2018

Brian its good to hear that we could make this a quick experience for you! Thank you for your review.

Cheryl paradis

January 22nd, 2018 Fitchburg, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Awful customer service! Salesman lied to me sold me a huge system That would take care of all of our electrical needs plus some haha! But he did not tell me my electric company Has a net metering cap and will only buy my electric back at wholesale price so my bill should only go down about 50%!!!!! They don’t call you back I have called,text, Emailed and used social media to try to get answers and help! Wish I never did business with this company!

Jan 23, 2018

We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. We would like to look into your system size and any other questions or concerns you may have. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

Lazanne Fajardo

January 22nd, 2018 Porterville, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very disappointed in this company! Sales rep lied said there was no catch and that we would be saving money! Said we woukd only be paying SCE to use the meter... HECK NO! We got a huge bill ($1000) at the end of the year plus we pay Vivint monthly... how the heck is that saving money? My SCE bill was cheaper before these solar panels! Wish there was a way to take them off! Never received a written contact from her and when asked she would go around the subject! Will not recommended Vivnt to anyone!!

Jan 23, 2018

We are sorry for any frustration you may have experienced. We apologize and would like to look into your savings for you as well as any other questions. We would also like to get you access to your contract. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can find your account to further assist you.

Gaja Andzel

January 22nd, 2018 Yucaipa, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I purchased a house with Vivint Solar system already installed. I had to continue using the system. Our experience is EXTREMELY negative, here is why: 1. It took them 4 months to realize that the systems are not connected to internet, and no data is obtained, I inquired several times about this and was just brush off 2. It is already 10 months, I asked for representative to explain how it works and why my electric bills are higher than ever, not happened. I requested cost analysis 3 months ago, still not heard back 3. Roof leak, reported 10 days ago, still not addressed, despite 10+ calls from me with attempts to schedule repair. We had their expert coming but ... could not do anything due to LACK OF TOOLS!!! I love my new house, and need to stay in relation to VIVINT SOLAR is the only wrinkle I have to deal with. If you ever have options DO NOT PICK THIS COMPANY, SAVE YOURSELF from a lot of headache! The only good think I can say about this company is the fact that when you call them you can speak to actual person quite quick, customer representatives are nice, pleasant and appear to try their best. The problem is that it is all so disorganized, lack of communication between departments, etc.

Jan 24, 2018

Gaja, we are sorry for any frustration or inconvenience we may have caused. Looking at your account it looks like we have a case manager that is working with you and we look forward to resolving any issues.

Cassandra Benitez

January 18th, 2018 Desert Hot Springs, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sales representative is not explain the overall benefits of getting solars. You pay Vivint for the energy generated, regardless of what is consume.

Jan 19, 2018

Cassandra, we would love to talk to you about the contract and how it works. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

John Davis

January 17th, 2018 Henderson, NV

The salesman was great. Every time I call him he either is able to answer my question, or has someone call me with an explanation. My Solar panels were installed last November, 2017. They still have not been hooked up, so they are not in use. The salesman does not have an answer to this problem. He had a Supervisor call me and he was just full of bull (lots of talk, no answers). All I got from the Supervisor was that a lot of problems are caused by Nevada Power, and Vivint Solar has no way of getting them to complete the project. From the reviews of others it seems customers from Eastern states are much happier with Vivint Solar that are customers from Western states

Jan 18, 2018

John we appreciate your review. We are happy to hear that you have had a good experience with our company. We would like to look into the issue that you mentioned with the utility company. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can verify your account and further assist you.

Daniel Vara

January 15th, 2018 Fresno, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst costumer service! Their panels left a 3 leaks in our roof, it took them 6 months to fix, it has now been a year and they have yet to put all the panels back on. We have a huge pg&e bill every month and Viviant refuses to compensate our pg&e bill until all panels are back on but they keep procrastinating on getting all the panels back on. Every department continues to transfer us back and forth and every supervisor is always busy. Worst experience ever!!

Jan 18, 2018

Daniel, we regret to hear about your experience with us. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can pull up your account to further assist you. We understand that this has been an inconvenience and would like to look into this.

Angela

January 11th, 2018 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivnat sold solar to my elderly parents said they would qualify for the rebates knowing they were on social security. They were also told they could sell their home and sell the solar to knew buyer. Well we just found out the solar is $90k they get no rebate obviously and now they have to sell the home and pay them $45k an attorney is now involved.

Jan 18, 2018

We’re sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced. We would love to look into this matter further for you. Please email us the address or service number to so that we can verify the account and further assist you.

MATT Sert

January 11th, 2018 Beaumont, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very good company. Good sales personel. Very good technical.

Jan 18, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, Matt. We greatly appreciate your time and are happy to hear that you have had a good experience with our company.

Dori

January 8th, 2018 Salinas, CA

Reading reviews tells me NOT TO GO FORWARD WITH THIS COMPANY! THANK YOU . I have read enough to make an informed decision Customer service is key not a great sales pitch.

Willy mejia

January 3rd, 2018 Montgomery Village, MD

Very professional company they know what there doing

Jan 27, 2018

We are happy to hear that we were able to make this a professional experience for you Willy. We would like to say that we appreciate your review.

Cheryl Ballard

January 3rd, 2018 Windsor Mill, MD

Sales rep Evan R. is honest, open, courteous, communicates well and is a man of integrity. He provides excellent customer service and is always available to answer any of my questions. That technicians that came to install were also very courteous, knowledgeable, and efficient!

Linda

January 3rd, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company is fraudulent. We have had it for more than a year and haven't seen any savings at all. Basically I feel like we're paying them to have it on our house and there is no return. If there was a way I would have them remove it. Something needs to be done about their lies and deceit.

Joe

January 3rd, 2018 Ventnor City, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Salesmen screwed my paperwork up 5-6 times! Left holes in my roof! Took 8 months to get on line ! Finally they had reimburse me for roof repairs, and we came to an agreement to help Pay down some of my loss! I really had to fight to get what I deserved!!

Jeannette Gosnell

January 3rd, 2018 Yorba Linda, CA

I bought a house that had Vivint Solar panels. During the escrow process, Vivint tried to get the owner's name changed to my name, thus making me responsible for the contract, Somehow, the escrow never completed this part of the process. A few months later, the previous owner of the house showed up at my door to let me know that he was still paying this bill. I called Vivint and asked them to send me a copy of the contract. There is no way I would be bound by this contract, so I refused to transfer it to my name. On Sept 22, 2017, I turned off the power to the panels. I learned two important things about Vivint: They do not have the technology to read their own meters, so the customer is billed for an amount that is pulled out of thin air. To this day, my"usage" continues to go up. Secondly, I have ample evidence that Vivint and Southern California Edison are working together in this deal. I called SCE to ask them about my bill and I was told that SCE only bills me for the power that I use after 7pm. When I questioned them twice about their "extra special way" of calculating this, the customer service rep pivoted and refused to answer the question. Vivint is now sending me twice-weekly e-mails pleading with me to contact them about my late payments. All they need to do is read my file.

Jay T

December 27th, 2017 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst experience ever. Cannot wait to get rid of Vivint. The sales guy lied. Said costs would drop by 40%. PG&E bill dropped, but Vivint bill is 50% higher than what I was paying without solar. At the end of the year I get a $465 bill from PG&E. Vivint is garbage.

Melinda

December 21st, 2017 Stratford, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I I have had excellent experiences with Vivint solar over the last 4+ years. Their support team is frequently in touch to check in and provide info or offer assistance if needed. Vivint team members are professional, polite and knowledgeable. They know the product and are fully prepared to explain down to the smallest detail. Because other procedures need to be completed by the electrical company as well as the town before the system is up and running, I found the frequency of phone or text contact extremely helpful. As I own a house with an in law apt. This is the third installation of solar panels. My experiences to date have all been positive. I'm ecstatic that my electric bill is so low and I've even been rewarded with monetary incentives for recommending others who might want to save tremendously.

James Butler

December 20th, 2017 Pasadena, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great experience with initial customer rep, customer service via phone, updates to status and installation process. Only didn’t give 5 stars as the initial rep stopped communicating with me once I acquired service.

Vincent DeSantis

December 20th, 2017 Springfield, MA

Excellent experience. Every detail explained. Workees very professional

Sarah Landon

December 20th, 2017 Tilghman, MD

Well, we were told by a company last year that we weren’t able to put panels on our roof based on photo from google earth. When the salesman knocked on our door, we we so pleased to learn we might me eligible. He was terrific! Great to work with.

Maria Almeida

December 19th, 2017 Swansea, MA

Great customer service. Step by step assistance. Answers always answered. Thanks for the roof rebate!!

Ruben Santiago

December 19th, 2017 Fairfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

You can read about my experience two weeks ago or so. Guess what I'm still waiting for an update from ana,Emily and Scott. To this day I have not recieved any updates regarding going live with my solar system. I'm about to reach out to the local news to have them do a report on them and the broken promises.....

Veronica Lipkins

December 19th, 2017 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Anthony M. my sales guy was very professional and thorough in explaining how Solar works and how it would benefit us. He also kelp we informed about the progress in the installation process. The installation guys where very professional. They arrived on schedule even thought we had a little snow the night before. They explained everything to me before getting to work and cleaned up when done.

James Robinson

December 18th, 2017 White Plains, NY

Salesman is the best and the workers were top notch

Carol Christmas

December 18th, 2017 Hamden, CT

Joshua J. is the best sales rep any company could have. He is thorough and explained everything in detail at every phase of the process. All the workers were polite and efficient. I will not hesitate to recommend Vivint to all my friends.

Charoletta Ransom

December 18th, 2017 Pomona, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The sales person said I would save on my bill which averaged $600 per month and that was decreased by a medical base therm to $400. Said my bill with them would average $200 and that I would owe Edison about $20 per month at the end of year for a total of about $240 per year. No up front cost anf service is free. Well its been two years and my bill from Vivint averages $250 no matter the usage and my annual bill from Edison is $3,600, plus their charges increase despite their promise that it does not!! Lastly, when my roof leaked in the back they failed to service or repair the damage they did to my roof!!! Don't buy into the no cost its a sham go with Sunrun or some other company and purchase your panels!!!

Anny

December 15th, 2017 Methuen, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’m a real estate agent and been happy with Vivant solar since the day from the installation to the visits they do periodically and also happy with the money I’ve been saving all year. I would definitely recommend this company to my clients.

Robert Bergeron

December 14th, 2017 Absecon, NJ

I would have given 5 stars, but think that is premature.. On the basis of my experience so far, it is 5 stars. I've been very pleased with the contacts and how we've been treated. The installation job on my roof looks excellent and the craftsmen were pleasant and courteous.

Bonnie Chepovsky

December 14th, 2017 Norton, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great service, I had Andrew as a rep he explained everything clearly and answered all my questions. Installation was quick and awesome to watch. Can't wait to see the savings!

Hunter Scott

December 14th, 2017 Brigham City, UT

Sales person came to door. Did a brief review, I seemed to more know then they did about the Solar options. Came back two more times and sales person still wasn't sure about all our questions.

Madhu Yetukuri

December 14th, 2017 Orange, CT

Going Solar for our home was a seamless experience. The options were well presented and all questions where honestly answered which made our decision easy. The installation and the wiring work was meticulously done. I would highly recommend Vivint Solar. Thank you Josh and team.

Ann H Horrocks

December 13th, 2017 Hamden, CT

Josh the sales person went above and beyond every experience that I have ever had with a sales person polite very well-informed very professional but very friendly and down-to-earth the men were here yesterday installing my solar panels were also very professional very polite executed excellent service I would go for it again if I had a choice and I need that thank you

Darlene Nopper

December 13th, 2017 North Adams, MA

Everyone from start to the installation was Great!

Collin Pick

December 12th, 2017 Palm Harbor, FL

Great service. Able to explain everything without pushy sales tactics.

Lisa

December 12th, 2017 Bellingham, MA

So far it has been very easy and they have been more than accommodating to my schedule. Can’t wait to see my savings!

Alfred Darby

December 12th, 2017 Rehoboth, MA

Love the fact they use the current technology for their entire sales, order, build and bill processes. No paperwork to deal with - everything is electronic.

John

December 12th, 2017 Bayville, NJ

They have delivered on everything they promised thus far.

Sue Schlutow

December 12th, 2017 East Haven, CT

So far everything has been exactly as they said it would be and everyone that has been here installing or prepping has been wonderful.

Jason shipman

December 11th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have not had not one good experience with vivint solar nothing but problems from the time we signed up we have had the solar system a little over a year and it was down for 4 months the communication sucks I ask them to call and no one does we were told if our system went down we would get compensation when it’s down and did not happen nothing has happened that we were promised

Frank Murphy

December 11th, 2017 Dracut, MA

We met with Hilary A. at our home and she has got to be one of the nicest, funniest and most knowledgeable people in the solar business. She answered all our questions and explained all the benefits of going solar in an easy layman's manner that was easy to understand.

Sammy

December 8th, 2017 Philadelphia, PA

Salesman was very friendly & informative. installers appeared to knew what they were doing, were polite & well-mannered, completed the work and cleaned up behind themselves.

Natalie

December 8th, 2017 Marysville, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible horrible experience. The sleaze bag representative completely lied to us and now we are trying to find a way to remove or buy our panels so we can sell our house. The guy told us that they will remove the panels if we go to sell the house and it would void the contract... Big big lie. He had us sign electronically and didnt provise us a copy. He pulled a fast one on us complete with a bold faced lie. The company also messed up our roof tiles and blew our pg&e metwr during installation. Do not use them. Stick to pg&e. It was actually cheaper for us to not have solar.

Patricia Abu-Raya

December 7th, 2017 New Bedford, MA

Henry was excellent. He was to answer all the questions and the information that was provided by him was accurate

Melissa Frawley

December 6th, 2017 West Hartford, CT

Very informative when answering all ?'s in clarity. Very respectfull.

Laura Quay

December 6th, 2017 Marcus Hook, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I just received service from Vivint Solar. I was very impressed by the service and the professionalism of the staff. I would recommend them to any other person that would like solar energy. A special acknowledgement to Tim the foreman very nice and answered all my questions. Very professional!