Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar systems. The company is one of the most talked about solar installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

#1 Sungevity chevron_right
#2 Zenernet chevron_right
#3 Sunrun chevron_right
3.6

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint Solar sales rep about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in the following 21 states:

• Arizona
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Vermont

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPAs typically require customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get the system running.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

View Best Solar Companies

3.0

Marvin Carley

December 6th, 2017 East Haven, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Tabitha was very clear as a salesperson in explaining solar to me. She came out one day after panels were installed to see how everything went. She also told me to call when I needed help. The guys who installed everything were courteous, professional, and cleaned up and explained exactly what they had done.

James Welch

December 6th, 2017 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've only had Vivint for a year now but I am very happy with the savings that I've received. And their customer service and the Reps have all been very helpful and friendly

James Welch

December 6th, 2017 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had the best experience with Vivint Solar Company! I was amazed at the savings we've gotten. I would highly recommend Vivint to all my friends and family

Kathie

December 6th, 2017 Toms River, NJ

So for everything has been uncomplicated. Very smooth intstall.

Sherri Ann Fazzio

December 5th, 2017 Tampa, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They guys did an awesome job and were very professional.

Anthony LaBrecque Sr

December 5th, 2017 Dracut, MA

The workers did a excellent job and they were very informative and polite They all knew what they was suppose to do. I give them a A plus Thank you for sending this great team. Semper-Fi..... Tony

Vicki Gray

December 4th, 2017 Germantown, MD

Everyone has been very professional. They have answered all our questions and have kept us informed each step along the way. The installers were all great too. They were sure to keep the area safe and they were done in about 4 hours.

John D'Amico

December 4th, 2017 West Haven, CT

Paul A. from Vivint contacted us in August when we agreed to solar we needed our roof replaced Paul said he can roll that into the solar payments. This was a huge help for us financially. Kellner Roofing cam in and had the roof done in one day! Saul from there was very professional the roofing crew were quick and they left my property cleaner than when they started. The Vivint crew came installed my panels upgraded my electrical panel in one day also. They again were very professional. I had 2 bumps in the road the first was the company who was to do the energy audit they did not show the day they were supposed to I made another appointment they came in and did a stellar job. The other was my utility company did not change my meter. That is what I'm waiting on today. Paul has been with me the whole way got my my inspections on days off so I didn't lose pay. As if today all head been installed and inspected I'm just waiting on the meter switch. I'm sure this will be resolved tomorrow. Overall I'm very pleased with Paul and the Vivint team. Now i wait for it to be turned on and the savings to start.

Glenn Humphrey

December 4th, 2017 Marshfield, MA

Representative was very thorough and knowledgeable regarding solar look forward to working with Vivint

Kenneth McFarland

December 4th, 2017 White Plains, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My rep is awesome. He's very attentive and super helpful. He made sure all our questions were answered and that we were completely at ease.

Christopher Murphy

December 4th, 2017 La Plata, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

From a Customer Service perspective Andrew has been hands down one of the best. I can’t speak enough for how engaged he has been. Hands down one of the best representatives I have worked with. I am very impressed by him and he is truly a valued asset in your organization. We are still working towards resolution on some instllation issues but the Murphy’s are happy we made the choice to go with your company thus far. We look forward to a successful business relationship as we move forward. CDM

stephan petrov

December 4th, 2017 Glastonbury, CT

Very smooth with no issues The crew was knowledgeable and friendly Great experience

Rose Lima

December 1st, 2017 New Bedford, MA

Vivint has been excellent so far and I cannot wait to start to see the savings!!

M

December 1st, 2017 Howell Township, NJ

After 7 months of missed appointments, failed deisgn, failed inspection, still no solar. Please, please do not do buisness with them - you will greatly regret it. Nothing but fustration, lost work days for appointments that were missed and misleading information. I am so upset tha I am in. Aleasing contract with them that is forcing me to keep it. Ready to remoce the panels myself. Horrible customer service.

Francisco benitez

November 30th, 2017 Downey, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am usually not one to leave a review, but after being a person that went to look up reviews on this company after a young man, Will, came knocking on my door talking about the solar programs that are available to us, I thought I should talk about my actual experience. When Vivint came knocking I was initially very skeptical but I had already been looking into it and actually had a quote from the Solarcity guy in Home Depot months before, so I let him proceed. Since I never really heard of Vivint before I naturally looked them up and found some frightening reviews. When I confronted the salesman, Will, with the reviews he assured me that in certain areas they have delays and trouble because they are doing business in expanding solar markets like the north east where solar is now an option but here in Southern California ( LA) they operate more smoothly because they do most of there business here and government policies that make the process easier. After telling the salesman I'm not deciding that day he offered $500 cash back to get the process started since the contract can be cancelled until they do the installation. I told him I need a few weeks to decide. After several days he called me back and said after talking to management Vivint approved me for $900 cash back , I decided to take them up on it . *** use this tactic and maybe you can get some cash back offer from them. *** also they have different prices if you do their in house financing or do cash(lower!). I did cash and financed it with a HELoQ) Considering the cost of the solar city was going to 19k and vivint came in at 17500 and they also mailed me $900 I feel I got a pretty good value with a good company. so far I have no complaints. From the day I first spoke to the salesman and when I got a call that I can turn it on, it took about 4 months, which is what they said( "2-5 months") The installation happened fairly quick within 3 weeks of signing the contract. The installation only took 1 day then I didn't hear anything for a few weeks while I waited for them to have the city inspect the installation. about 7 weeks after the installation I was told that the city and Edison (utility)had approved everything and I can turn on the system. Overall no complaints, felt I got a good deal and considering the loan payment and any additional energy charge from Edison I am saving about 30-40% off my electricity bill.

Maggie Alvarez

November 30th, 2017 Orlando, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am extremely upset and would NEVER recommend this company. I have ACTIVE leak in my home and have been back and forth with customer service to schedule an installation and reinstallation so that my roof can be replaced. I have sent over written in request of this for 3 weeks. Every time I call, customer service tells me they will call me back. I have been waiting to receive a call back for three weeks and nothing! When I call, they tell me they sent over a request to their committee a week ago (November 21, 2017) yet I have emails showing I sent them this request on (November 7, 2017). Where did the two weeks difference go? Every time I call customer service, they tell me to give them a few days and they would call me back. I have never received a call from them. I DO NOT RECOMMEND this company and will NEVER recommend any of my customers to use this (as I work with the public). Vivint Solar should act responsibly and an active leak is causing me mold and health issues! Please reconsider before choosing them as your solar panel company.

Lynn

November 30th, 2017 Holiday, FL

My system has been installed but not yet turned on as we are waiting for the inspection. So far the process has been very professional and easy to navigate. My sales associate was very knowledgeable and able to answer all the questions that I had. He took a lot of time to explain the process to me and that was one of the main reasons why I went with Vivint as opposed to the other quotes I had. The install went very smoothly and they did a very good job of cleaning up after themselves.

Kristopher Ontiveros

November 30th, 2017 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the most incompetent company I have ever worked with. Billing issues - It took weeks to get a bill from this company, then they hounded me incessantly about payment. One problem, they were charging me the wrong amount. We are in year 2 of the lease, which is $180/mo, they keep charging us year 5 rates. Several emails and calls and it was not resolved. Install issues - We had to do a simple task, re-roof our house. The lack of communication and straight out LIES is unbelievable. They tell us one day, they don't show up. They tell us the reason they had to cancel and then get caught in a lie when we press them. It's now taken over a week to get them out to re-install, they LIED again and said they were our of parts, when in reality their install crew is in a DIFFERENT STATE. So now I've had to postpone the sale of my house for several weeks because of this company, which has cost me THOUSANDS of dollars. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS

EVANS Kamau

November 28th, 2017

Yet to reap from the service, but future looks positive. The agent Matt r is personable, respectful, knowledgeable and highly recommended.

Joseph Kimatu

November 27th, 2017 Springfield, MA

The panels were just installed. The installers were courteous and they did their job exuding they knew what they were doing. They explained every step they took. The work was complete in approximately 7 hours.

Gulnar Otchiyeva

November 27th, 2017 Stratford, CT

Special thank you for Jeff H For detail explanstion

Pamela Whitman

November 22nd, 2017 Marmora, NJ

Vivant Solar went the extra mile for me. I have lots of trees and was interested in solar. Other companies told me that I had to cut down the trees that I love. Vivant Solar designed a system that allows me to keep all of my trees and have solar energy too! They really listened to what matters to me.

Scott Rohleder

November 22nd, 2017 Tampa, FL

It took much longer than expected to get my approvals, but the install and talent of the team was great. They know what they are doing.

Roland Powell

November 22nd, 2017 Parsonsburg, MD

I haven't seen results as of yet but hopefully will soon

John Pizzano

November 21st, 2017 Fairfield, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

when they first started 2011 they where good..calling us letting us know some panels are not working...now 2017 some panels stop working and they only way we found out was or bill from PSG&E went up and our bill from Vivint went down...they do not monitor the panels...you are better off putting up your own... update... was suppose to have service done on panels today, after waiting 2 weeks ,, guess what no service guy and no phone call... just panels on my roof that do not work... stay away from Vivint

Jason McGarrahan

November 20th, 2017 West Wareham, MA

The sales representative that I dealt (Chris W) with was extremely helpful, knowledgeable and patient. Unfortunately we did decided not to go with solar for the time being. Reason was not because of Vivint or Chris, but a household decision between my wife and I. Chris was awesome and I have requested that he contact me in the springtime of 2018 as perhaps we will be ready then. I will only deal with Chris W.

Karen July

November 20th, 2017 Waterbury, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very professional, and clean work, the guys did not leave a piece of trash laying around, it was all cleaned up.

Penny Haines

November 20th, 2017 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Every one was very helpfull & courteous

Donna

November 20th, 2017 Attleboro, MA

I have only been up and running for a couple of weeks now so I cannot accurately speak to amount of savings on electric bills. But as far as the process from the initial approach by my agent, Eric C, who has been fantastic to work with, the company is the real deal. Organized, communicating regularly, knowledgeable and pleasant.

Clara

November 20th, 2017 Clearwater, FL

A very professional group of workers . Explains procedures and expectations from the beginning to end. Quite impressed will recommend to any one interested

Jann Sterner

November 17th, 2017 Princess Anne, MD

Dane was extremely helpful in providing information and keeping me updated as to progress. Installers were very professional and aware of following all safety guidelines. Finished product looks great!

Andrew Newell

November 16th, 2017 Minneola, FL

A little delayed d/t local inspectors but Bryce always in touch and on top of his game.Not just a salesman.Very down to earth and consider him a friend.No pressure,essential,factual information!His f/u before during and after application very reassuring!Certainly a great asset to the company!

Kelly Bourgeois

November 16th, 2017 St. Petersburg, FL

All the employees treated us with professional service. It was an easy process from start to finish. I was apprehensive and had hesitations of finally taking the first steps, but very happy we did!

Joshua Biggs

November 16th, 2017 Hamden, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent service and an amazing product. I had the pleasure of dealing with the folks from Vivint Solar and couldn't be more pleased. Everyone in the process was extremely professional, well informed, and courteous. Our sales rep Josh Jones explained the entire process to us, answering any and all questions thoroughly. Even though sales was his job, Josh was never pushy, never tried to rush a decision, or did anything to make us uncomfortable at all. The process went extremely smooth, from the initial appointment all the way through the final installation. The install team was terrific and took great care to do an amazing job, really great group of guys. Our brand new solar system is hooked up and we can't wait to reap the rewards. Thank you to Josh Jones, the installation team, and everyone at Vivint Solar that made this decision not only economical, but pleasant as well.

Joe

November 16th, 2017 Absecon, NJ

Friendly, polite & courteous, from the sales rep to the installation crew. After installing the panels a few weren't registering online as operational, they stayed behind AND returned the next day to ensue everything was working correctly, rather than saying "we'll send someone back at a later date", (which would have been easier). Waiting for township inspector, so not much more to offer yet, but so far, so good.

Gregg

November 16th, 2017 Hopkinton, MA

Austin, the saleman , was very knowledgeable and did not hesitate to answer questions including the ones I had after our meeting. My wife and I sat down after the meeting and compiled a list of questions.(what happens in a fire, hail damage, sale of house, copy of the contract, etc) Installation: The crew arrived around 8AM and finished about 4:30. Both Patrick and the head electrician were very polite and informative. All the workers were very professional. As far as I can tell, the installation looks great. The piping and the location of the inverters is well chosen. Now all I need is to get the system turned on to see how much I will be able to save on electricity.

Lee

November 15th, 2017 Feura Bush, NY

Pleased with both sales and installers. Worked hard to keep ball rolling with building permit and installed in two days, which was a true task at 85 panels

John Minnetto

November 14th, 2017 Toms River, NJ

Installers were very courteous and professional. Upon completion, everything was cleaned up.

Walt and Virginia Bockmiller

November 14th, 2017 Land O' Lakes, FL

The process went smoothly and all our questions were answered so we could understand how the system works and what we would save now and in the future. The installers were especially knowledgeable and very efficient.

Bob Wright

November 14th, 2017 Groveland, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Installers came on time and were very efficient. Upon installation, they showed me the new system and explained the process for getting it online.

Sue Cargill

November 13th, 2017 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We've had Vivint Solar for over 3 yrs now. Best decision we've made in a long time. Before Vivint our peak summer bill was around $950. And now our peak summer bill is peak $300. the install was professional, service has always been consistent. We wish we had vivint installed a lot sooner. the other main reason we went with vivint is when we move the vivint solar energy bill is guaranteed to transfer to the new homeowner regardless of their credit. Satisfied all around!

Shirley Jalos del Moro

November 13th, 2017 Toms River, NJ

Very professional technicians. They kept me informed on the updates of installation.

Denise Bailey

November 10th, 2017 Merced, CA

Why isn’t Awesome Bryce married? Love, Love Love him. He’s even better looking from 1 year ago! Very knowledgeable and patient with all of our questions. Cash vs PPA vs Loan. Thank you Bryce for explaining all!

Daniel J. O'Neill

November 7th, 2017 Amityville, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have soured on Vivint. It turns out that the installer of the box on the house made a mistake (didn't put sealant all around the box). Half of our panels shorted out twice resulting in losing solar power for 2-3 months each time. It wasn't until the second repairman/electrician figured out the installation issue. Vivint refused compensation for the second occurrence despite it's faulty installation. Numerous emails and phone conversations resulted in being stonewalled. They said they would call back but didn't. I had to chase them. Robotic flavor to conversations with customer service. We regret chosing Vivint.

Orlando Stevenson

November 7th, 2017 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent- best if you clearly understand all gear involved with install and planned placement. Be onsite to help ensure installation of inverters, equipment is placed to your satisfaction.

Tammy

November 6th, 2017 Concord, CA

Salesman sold me to getting the solar. Inspector came two weeks ago and gave the okay. Marked the roof where the panels would go. Haven't heard a word from them since then. Which is fine. Decided not to go with them due to their horrible reviews.

Alban Gaba

November 6th, 2017 Garfield, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My experience with vivint solar is a night mare untill today. I do advise all of you out there who is looking for solar, get it if you ar looking for but NOT FROM VIVINT SOLAR. Ill tell you only a bit of my story. From December when salesman came at my house, explained everything about solar and never mentioned about contractor. He shows a page for proof of there insurance to sign. And no contract or anything else. That insurance certificates have expired policy and vivint solar dose forge your signature (like they did in my case) I called them many times to cancell and they refused. So i said simce im not paying for it, i let them instoll it. (Big mistake) My service was installed in February and the system was approved to be turned on on march. No one from vivint did turned on the system even i was on phone with them every week untill August. On June, July and August they charge my cc without having system on for $383. I called billing they told me that a credit will be on your account untill November 2 i haven't seen any credit. Called account over 40 time and waiting for over 45 minutes for someone to pick up and barley. When i called for new service with 1 ring they picked up. I asked them a question. Why when i call billing department i get to be placed on hold fir 45 minutes, and when i need te became a vivint costumer you pick up with 1 ring. He laughed and said. Come one you already know the answers. New costumers are new costumers. I honestly got insulated. On November 2 vivint solar called me from collection department for $351 for 2 months billing. I told them that you charged me for 3 months that i dident have system on and i have credit fir $383. My bill is only $351 and i still jave over $30 credit. Bilking told me that a credit is on mu way since September and still havent apply to my acc. When i received collection call i said enough is enough. I paid them $351 and called my bank to decline the charges from vivint solar and never authorized them for electronic charge on my account. Now im looking with my attorney to sue them. I hope this story will help someone out there not to get burned like me. Good luck.

JP

November 6th, 2017 Blackstone, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I made a deal with Vivint Solar. It took them over a year once we signed the contract to have the system operational. I would NOT deal with these people. They do NOT have their act together. They are worse than dealing with Comcast.

Cloe

November 3rd, 2017 Valencia, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had Vivint Solar on our previous home. We were happy with our install and our savings. Our sales representative Eric was great, helped us through out the whole process. When we sold our house it was a seamless process. Vivint was very professional. We highly recommend them.

Marietta Curran

November 3rd, 2017 Smithtown, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used Vivint because they had done a job at my aunt’s house. The representatives called and were very knowledgeable. They walked us through the whole process. Someone came to assess the electric panel, the roof, and our computer service. When the installers came, they were a cohesive team. Everything is checked and double-checked. After installation, another person came to inspect. We were very satisfied. After everything was done, we had a few questions and customer service was great at answering them.