Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar energy systems.

The company is one of the most talked about solar panel installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

Go Directly to Vivint Smart Home Customer Reviews

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Warranty Coverage
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, solar loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the solar PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to utilize alternative energy and save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Warranty Coverage

Vivint Solar offers a number of warranties for customers who select a solar purchase or a solar loan. For example, the solar installer offers a workmanship warranty that guarantees its work will be free from material defects for 10 years.

In addition, each solar panel system's panels carry a 25-year linear performance warranty, and inverters carry minimum 10-year manufacturers' warranties.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract with the solar company: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels to their new roof at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint salesperson about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in all 50 states, as well as in Washington D.C. and the Virgin Islands.

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power and clean energy with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPA typically requires customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get their solar system running after the installation was complete.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality customer service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

3.2

Paul sullivan

May 11th, 2018 Malden, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I can’t swear but fun horrible I’m using his name miles told me my system was done only a week like I’m an idiot then denied it to my wife 4 inverters out had to wait till spring for a fix and said they don’t compensate for utililiy payments made which really sucks all in all worst decision and my wife’s nephew works for them and asked about snow guards before someone or my dog gets killed and he said we never mentioned it another lie just sucks all the way around

May 17, 2018

Hi Paul, We are sorry to hear that you feel that way. Vivint Solar does not require customers to have snow guards, although we do have the option available to purchase them if you choose. If you could send us a private message with your address we would be happy to look further into your account to see what we can do to help. Thank you for the review.

Carrie Peterson

May 3rd, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They lie get Everything in writing they say They told my son if he moved and people didn’t want to assume loan they would move for 400.00 lied sin lost over 10,000.00 because of them Told us they pay for referrals gave them 5 and no payment ever came. They told us they would guarantee us no power bills if we bought the amount of solar panels they told us to and they monitor problems LIED!!! WE had a bill for over 500 dollars and since at least a hundred dollar bill per month plus their payment They said they missed seeing the problem They make up crap saying it is something we did like turned off the breaker Why would we??? Then by some miracle the next week they call and say they need to change the inverter They said they will reimburse you at the end of the year for the power we paid LIE!!!! Biggest 40,000.00 mistake ever

May 11, 2018

Hi Carrie, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to , so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

MArtha Ramirez

May 3rd, 2018 Sacramento, CA

These Vivint people think we consumers are stupid and never notice when they come at you with a pitch they practiced the night before. I never listen to pitchers I always prefer people who have some respect for me and are open to a honest conversations. Vivint just will never do.

May 11, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Martha. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Tom Robertson

April 24th, 2018 Audubon, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had solar installed 2years ago, first year was good, then the inverter developed a leak and failed, took them 4 months to finally replace the part, then something else failed and have been waiting for them to fix this problem. So, for the last year hasn’t functioned. Considering having them remove the system, and have them replace my roof and repair the siding behind the inverter.

May 11, 2018

Hi Tom, we are sorry to hear that you have had system performance concerns. We would like to help resolve these concerns. Can you please email us at with your address?

John

April 19th, 2018 Mira Loma, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I don’t know what a few of these people are talking about but I guess it’s like anything else. However we love our system! Perhaps Vivint has solar locked down in Southern California better or something. Our system is producing very well and mos we requested 105% of our power. That way we could use the air more freely. We got a edison bill the end of the year as expected for only $80. I guess it was for the connection fees as the sales representative clearly explained. Our system also looks nicer then our neighbors - very sleek! I’m well aware of the tier rate increases in January and the time of use rate increase in the future. Really glad we made the no brainer switch. There’s so much sun here it makes no sense not to have solar and Vivint delivered on everything that was promised from the door to door sales manager. He said the only thing that could possibly go wrong is edison takin a bit to turn it on but the easy solution is I turned it on after 3 weeks as suggested no bi deal. Thanks Vivint super happy with everything and they exceeded expectations. I might even get you security smart home next ??

May 11, 2018

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Mira! We love hearing that you've had a positive experience with us. Thank you for choosing us to go solar!

RICHARD L HORTON

April 18th, 2018 Lincoln, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Don't even consider. There is nothing good in getting involved with this company. It's all bad. I only operated the solar for 2 months at no savings. I put my house up for sale and it won't sell with this contract. I can't transfer it because I was thinking of AZ and they say no to that. These things the salesman don't tell you. They hooked me good.

May 11, 2018

Hi Richard, we are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to , so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

Stacey Dittrich

April 16th, 2018 Aptos, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had Vivint about 2 years. When we signed up for them we asked repeatedly how much it would cost to take the panels off if we need to redo the roof. We were told each time $500. We mistakenly didn't read the fine print. Our roof started leaking - not from the solar- after one year so we made hired a roofer and call vivint to to remove the pannels We got a bill for $4500 We were floored.. We called the customer service at least 5 times and were told we would get a call back but no one ever called. We finally realized we would have to pay the money... So we paid it. Then we couldn't get them scheduled to remove the panels.. More phone calls without return calls. Finally had some one out. They only took the panels off and they left all the electrical hardware and brackets!!! They told us they were not going to remove them and to have the roofer do it. I was steamed!.. We made more phone calls finally got them out to remove the electrical and they only removed about 2/3 of the brackets because they had another appointment to go to. Our roofer finally agreed to help us. Now we have to put the panels back on.. Wish we could just get out of the contract. Has cost us way more than we will ever save!

May 08, 2018

Hi Stacey, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. We see that you were able to get your panel reinstall scheduled for this month. Please reach out to us at if you have additional questions and or concerns.

Andrea

April 13th, 2018 Oceanside, CA

Salesman came to my door and stated he was from our electric company and wanted to save us money. I saw his Vivent id tag and called him out on it. I told him I wasn't interested. He was very pushy and asked me for a copy of my electric bill and wanted to enter my house. I asked him to leave. What's the matter, telemarketing does not work anymore??? Now they go door to door???

Apr 13, 2018

Andrea, we are sorry for this interaction you had with our sales rep. We don't condone deceitful sales practices. If you happened to gather any of his information we would like to obtain that from you, so we can work to remedy the situation. Please email us at with more information on your interaction. Thank you for your feedback.

Michael Shank

April 11th, 2018 Valencia, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I signed up for Vivint Solar in February 2017, with the promise that I would be billed at Edison Tier one levels. Unbeknownst to me Tier billing was scheduled to end July 2017. Vivint moved slowly through the installation process, completing the project at the end of August 2017. I am now being billed at Time of Day billing which is much more expensive then Tier One billing. I'm not saving any money,

Apr 13, 2018

Hi Michael, can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account?

Scott C Goldstein

April 10th, 2018 Simi Valley, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Save your money and find another company. This company lies and does not save you any money. My electric bill went up and they did not install the number of panels they said they would. They then came back and tried to show me how good there panels worked via a tablet app-funny thing was the system was shut off. then they offered me money back as well as to install a new power panel and more solar panels for a higher monthly fee. They still charge me a monthly fee for nothing since the system has been shut off for over 2.5 years. DISHONEST COMPANY...........DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!!!!!!!!!

Apr 13, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Scott. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

David Johnson

April 9th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV

Salesman came to our door uninvited. They came by 3 times. The last time I told them I was not interested 6 times. But they just kept on telling me how much I would save on my power bill. They told me 50% savings however there cost per kilowatt hour was 11 cents and I pay 14 cents per kilowatt hour now. So I guess they took me for a fool. I told them I was getting upset with there high pressure sales and they staid another hour. I was so relieved when they finally left my home.

Apr 13, 2018

We’re sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced with our Sales team.

David

April 2nd, 2018 Castro Valley, CA

Great experience from start to finish. Outside reps answered all my Questions and detailed analysis of cost and solar production from my panels was quick and painless. At first they could not get accurate reading from google maps to get a good estimate, so they sent an installer out to measure roof and pitch and surrounding tree areas and checked out my current electric panel to get the best reading for the amount of panels my house would need. This was even before I decided to go with Vivint. Other companies I talked with would not do anything like this until I signed on the dotted line. After I decided to go with them, Inside sales crew were on top of things keeping me posted on what was going on behind the scenes with my project. I received the permit to install with in a week of sighing contract. The install took a day (on a rainy day) 2 weeks after approval from county permits. And the reason it took 2 weeks out is because I wanted them to install on a Friday. If I wanted them to install sooner they could have gotten it done sooner if I did not pick a Friday install. After install, the home office crew called me several times to keep me up to date on progress. The following Monday, the county inspector came out and approved the install. I received the info from the home office they are submitted the paperwork for PG&E to convert to Solar and that could take up to 4 weeks or more. To my suprise I received an email from PG&E a week later giving me the ok to turn on my solar panels. So from when I sign to turning on the switch to activate my Panels -4 weeks Thank You-Great Experience with Vivint Solar

Apr 04, 2018

David, we are happy to hear that we could make this a quick experience for you! Thank you for your review.

Kenneth Bloem

April 2nd, 2018 Rancho Cucamonga, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had Vivint Solar for 2 years now and just received a "True Up" bill from Southern California Edison (SCE) for $692 and was blown away. I immediately called Vivint and requested an explanation. After numerous promises that I would be called back that never happened I requested a supervisor to help me. She made several promises to return my phones calls but was inconsistent as well. She asked that I send her 2 years of SCE statements (which I immediately did) and they would review it for compensation purposes. Come to find out that a large portion of my solar panels had not been working for almost 1 year however I continue to pay Vivint each month at about the same normal rate. They would only offer me a $120 credit towards the issue. The service department came by this morning and stated, "This is a much larger problem then we realized" and that they'd have to reschedule. It's very obvious at this point that Vivint does not care about me or my situation. They only care about about getting rid of me as a problem. Unbelievable!

Mahesh Nagamalla

March 26th, 2018 Fremont, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'd like to give Vivint Solar "Negative 100 star rating" for their worst customer service and bad business practice. I have been fighting them through BBB to fix all my issues. I suggest please stay away from this company.

Apr 13, 2018

Hi Mahesh, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to , so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

Ed Raphael

March 23rd, 2018 Helendale, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had Vivint Solar for several tears on the PPA plan and we decided to buy our 22 panels so there would not be a problem when we sold the house. They quoted me a price of $36,000 to buy it now, but said it would only $20,000 if we sold the house. I would have paid the $20,000 now but not the $36000.

Apr 04, 2018

Ed, We’re sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to email us your address or service number to so that we may locate your account to assist you.

Medina-Fontanilla

March 22nd, 2018 Newark, CA

In late November of 2017 we started to consider going Solar. December 5th, we entered into an agreement. On January 2, 2018 we got our solar panels installed. Upon the installation we were told there would be a waiting period for the multiple inspections and approval (3-4 months). During the process we received customer service updates via phone and email. Plus, the online account allowed us to check our progress throughout the entire process. Today, March 21, 2018 we received permission to operate and went solar. 11 weeks and 1 day or 2 months, 19 days excluding the end date. The process was easy, and everyone was very pleasant to work with. Thank you, Juan Arraya, the Vivint Install and Customer Service team.

Apr 03, 2018

Medina, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We greatly appreciate your time and are happy to hear that you have had a good experience with our company.

Bobby

March 20th, 2018 Poway, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The best thing I did with Vivent solar was to buy out the system and get them out of the equation for my home. I would highly recommend to buy a solar system and NOT lease one even if the lease company is perfect. The lease company puts a lean on your house. At the end of the 20 year lease you own nothing and they still have you hand cuffed with the lean. Worse even, most people do not want to assume this bad lease when you go to sell hour house.

Janet Curry

March 19th, 2018 Lincoln, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company has serious issues with follow through! I have been waiting since the panels were installed on my roof in September, 2017. As of mid March, 2018, the system has not been turned on. This company is run by children. All they can do is point the finger at someone else. It is either the City Inspector or PG &E that is causing the delay. COME ON, MAN, and take ownership of your failures to deliver! At least then I would respect you. I cannot recommend this company to anyone at this time. They need to grow up and act like adults. I had such high hopes as the initial sales person was most excellent in his communication skills but his company let him (and me) down.

Mar 19, 2018

Janet, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to so that we may locate your account to further assist you with your concerns.

Cauncenet Brown

March 16th, 2018 Perris, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We regret the day we had solar panels installed with Vivint. Our electric bill has not been lower like they promised. Our bill electric bill is higher. We HATE Vivint Solar.

Mar 17, 2018

Cauncenet, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to so that we may locate your account to further assist you.

Denise Heffernan

March 16th, 2018 Springfield, MA

Vivint Solar is the very best. From the representative that gave us all the ins and outs of the solar panel industry was very knowledgable from the start until the end of the installment. We didn't have a single problem with anything. I would highly recommend Vivint Solar to anyone looking for quality workmanship to help save our economic electricity cost. Think Green Go Green with Vivint Solar Panels

Mar 17, 2018

Denise, thank you for leaving a review with us. We are happy to hear that you have had a great experience with us with no problems. We look forward to getting your system up and running.

Scott McCormick

March 15th, 2018 Trenton, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Do not use Vivant. I live in NJ and we had a snow storm. The snow slid off of the panels and took my gutters down. I called and was told its an act of god and they don't cover it. But i can PAY for snow clips! I emailed my sales rep and i got a return to sender email. Apparently he doesn't work for the company anymore, surprise surprise.

Mar 17, 2018

Scott, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to email us your address or service number to so that we may locate your account to assist you.

Karen J Stephens

March 15th, 2018 Desert Hot Springs, CA

In two months we will have been working on this 4 month project for a year! They sent out installers before the trenchers! I have had a trench in my side year for 8 months. By the time anyone comes out to inspect it animal activity will have filled it in! Very unhappy will everything about them!

Mar 17, 2018

Karen, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to so that we may locate your account to further assist you.

Becky Shipley

March 8th, 2018 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivint came out looked everything over and installed panels. We saved 200.00 to 400.00 a month in the summer 100+ degree heat we have here in Bakersfield Calif. We were out no Money to have this work done and very pleased with Vivint. Would recommend to anyone.

Mar 17, 2018

Becky, that you for taking the time to leave a review with us. We are happy to hear that you have saved money and we appreciate your recommendation.

Anthony Guiliano

March 6th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Al the 1 star reviews are 100 percent spot on. This company lies!!!! My friend works with this company abd is doing very well. Goes on nice trips all the time, meanwhile all of us are stuck with crazy bills because of the lies they feed you. The corporate office will show sympathy, but just give you the run around. I would never recommend this company to anyone. It took 6 months to get my solar turned on when I was told 3 months max. We had plans to run the piping through the garage abd when I got home they were installing them on the outside wall, so I made them take it down and start over. They were suppose to come patch all the holes which they never did, or knew about until I called them. To be short, DON'T TOUCH THIS COMPANY!!!STAY AWAY, you will regret this decision. I am a brand new customer and I now wish I never had them. I now have to look everyday on the computer to make sure everything is running correctly, because they don't moniter the system, but they will tell you they do. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Mar 07, 2018

Anthony, we are sorry for any frustration that we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

Sophia

February 27th, 2018 Long Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivint is the worst company I have ever dealt with, they are the biggest liars I have ever dealt with. We had been interviewing solar companies, a friend of ours had just had her panels installed by vivint so we decided to go with them, biggest mistake! the sales rep. showed up told us how many panels we would need, everything was the same as the other companies, we signed up, they did the installation, 6 months later we finally got the okay to turn on the switch. They started deducting money from our bank account, more money than the sales rep said they would deduct monthly. We spent the summer thinking we were solar and according to what the sales rep said we were saving money, well a year after the installation we received a $1500.00 bill from Edison. We were floored, because according to the sales rep. we had more than enough panels to produce more electricity than we needed, that the excess would go back to Edison, and they would send us a check at the end of the year, to pay us for the extra electricity produced by our panels, but instead of a check we got a $1500.00 bill. We called Edison, they told us that the panels did not produce enough electricity, and Edison provided the electricity the panels were supposed to produce. As it turns out, the panels did not work after a couple of months after installation, Vivint is supposed to monitor them through our internet connection, but they did not monitor them, and yet even when they were not supplying our electricity they never stopped taking our money from our account. When we called them and asked, why did they take over $1000.00 from our account if they were not producing electricity for us? They told us that, whenever the panels malfunction and they do not receive the information through the internet of how much electricity the panels are producing, the customer is placed on an automatic billing amount. Now they are just giving me the run around, supposedly they are meeting to discuss a solution to my $1500.00 problem, this has been going around for over a month, and every time I call, they say that they will be meeting on Wednesday, they have been meeting on supposedly on Wednesday regarding my problem for over a month. I am currently seeking legal representation against this company, if anyone ells out there wants to file a class action against them feel free to make it known here. Predatory companies such as Vivint should be stopped, so that they can't pray on other people.

Mar 07, 2018

Sophia, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

STAFF SERGEANT GREGORY DEAN "ICEMAN" WHITE, U.S. ARMY (RET)

February 26th, 2018 Manteca, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

In 2015 April we signed to have Vivint Solar as our power source instead of paying PG&E. We are neither buying nor leasing the system to be specific. Fast forward to 2017 April ironically 2 years later. My wife while in the garage my heard a loud crash outside the garage doors. Calling on me to go out and inspect what happened. What I found, was a tile from the peak of our roof in the bed of my truck. In May, finally having a roofer come out to fix that tile.. The roofer informed us, we had bigger issues than the one tile. He explained, that pigeons were nesting under our solar panels. The roofer was nice enough to provide photos of what he was seeing. Our main concern with the system installed was to put a skirting around the panels to keep birds from crawling under and nesting. Until this point, everything was fine. Calling customer service, I was given the run around, May. June, 4 different techs came out to fix the issues. Each time they would come and go. One tech even said he fixed the problem, by placing a zip tie to close up a corner. Now, that might have worked, but in 105 degree heat. It would last at best 30 days. Calling and speaking with one of the field reps. Explaining that this needed to be fixed, and not with zip ties. The 4th tech came out, put his ladder up, crawled on the roof, and within 10 minutes was knocking on the front door. Said he couldn’t do anything until all the birds were removed. That there were nests up there and he wasn’t going to kill them. I said these are PIGIONS. They are not endangered or protected like Eagles are. Still he refused to do anything. Calling once again, the Operations Manager and Field Rep came out to see why, 4 techs couldn’t fix the issues. They crawled up and came down. Having taken pictures, they provided to me. There was about 2-3 inches of bird droppings built up, plus nests. What now? Well, we have to have a pest control company come out to remove the nests, clean, sanitize the roof. Before anything else can be resolved. Dealing with Vivint and their damage personnel are a JOKE! All I have to say is. If you drink now, you’ll drink even more. If you don’t drink, you’ll start. They are children with no common sense. Telling us that they will find a pest control company to come out and do all the work. That would mean that the solar panels needed to be removed to PROPERTLY do the cleaning. After hearing from one individual he contacted a company. That was able to do the job for $1000. Even though I provided 5 different companies bids. Where each of them came to the home to see the job site and what really was being dealt. That company removed itself from preforming the job. Meanwhile, going back and forth with this company. Vivint would not meet the time line. Let me remind you that this was from All June to the last week in July. When I finally, had enough and told them they had until August 1, 2017 to remove the panels. Otherwise, I’d remove them myself and throw them in the yard for pickup. Once the panels were removed the roof could be cleaned properly. After which a roof inspection would proceed. If the inspection came back clear, then the panels could be reinstalled. Well, there was found damages to the roof, and also leakage. Notifying Vivint of these finding they proceeded to stone wall. I explained before anyone from Vivint steps onto the property. I wanted to know who they were. Were they a General Contractor, with a Roofing and Solar Installation license. If they did not have all 3 of these licensees. They would not be permitted onto the property. This came as a result of speaking with several of the installers and techs. Coming to find out, they were not licensed in solar or had never done this type of work in the pass. One came from Sales and went through a very brief training. Another was from high school. So, that is why I insisted they be licensed. After I sent my 13 page letter directly to the CEO. I received an email and phone call. The individual would attempt to be understanding. But when I started demanding certain issues be resolved. She said I had to contact their legal and arbitration departments. Not a problem I said. Since then, I have provided Vivint several letters, even contacting an attorney to attempt a dialog with Vivint. Trying to resolve or attempt to come to an agreed resolution. February 2018, after months of nothing. There has been Only 2 reply’s, one (1) stating not to send correspondence to the CEO and that came in around October 2017. The second (2) reply was their legal department wish to talk with me directly. But needed to have permission to do so. The attorney on February 15th 2018, wrote an email authorizing permission to speak with me. Since February 16th, 2018. I have attempted to speak with their legal department. I have attempted seven (7) times, without Vivint Attorney answering or returning my call. Vivint insists they want to come to do their own assessment of the issues. Yet, Vivint has not provided or even attempted any type of willingness to come up with their own General Contractor, Roofer at this time. Today is the February 23, 2018 at 1519 hrs. So, my only recommendation for anyone. IF you have read this. Before signing any contract whether it is with Vivint or someone else. Check their status under the Better Business Bauru for the State(s) they are located and licensed. Especially their Corporate Office is located in. See how many complaints there are, have they been in bankruptcy. What is the true cost of the system vs whatever you want to do meaning buying, leasing, and power purchase agreements. Do your homework in the end you’ll have saved so much. One last thing. Does solar work? Sure, but like anything there is a catch. READ the fine print or take it to an attorney. Respectfully, Gregory Dean "Iceman" White SSG, U.S. Army Retired

J campo

February 26th, 2018 Bristol, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My rates went up after switching to Vivint and my sales representative was misleading by telling me they would decrease. Terrible customer service in addressing this issue.

Mar 07, 2018

J, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

Carol Hinds

February 13th, 2018 Desert Hot Springs, CA

BEWARE Vivint!!! I was shocked to drive by one of my rental houses in Desert Hot Springs in Sept. 2017 - to find Vivint installing a massive solar placement. I immediately had them stop since I had never authorized solar! I called & emailed them -- but they just kept passing me off to someone else. When I went to the City - I found that they had obtained a fraudulent permit for a $33,880 installation - signed by someone unknown to me. (I wasn't even in the state at that time). The tenants said the Salesman said he had all the paperwork needed from me, and that they would save "lots of money" every month - and could even take it with them if they moved. In November, I got a "non disclosure" agreement, calling it a "dispute" over the "Customer Agreement" HUH - I never signed one. They said their workers would "repair" my roof - but I could not even tell a future buyer about the repairs. My attorney has written them - but no response. So now it is February 2018 - and my newer tile roof still has 160 holes that they put in it - and there is still Vivint Electric boxes on the side of the house.

Feb 13, 2018

Carol, we are sorry to hear about your experience. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

Stefan

February 12th, 2018 Tampa, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I loved it everyone else must have trees because it does what it says!

Feb 13, 2018

Stefan, thank you for going green with us and for your review.

Tuan Nguyen

February 5th, 2018 Lowell, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Stay away from this company! The sale team was great. The installation team was great. The customer service? The worst in the world. Think of your Comcast/cable company and multiply that by 10. Their system didn't report the usage correctly. I scheduled an appointment. They gave a 2 hour-window. Nobody showed up. Nobody called. I called to schedule another appointment. They gave a 2 hour-window. The technician called up several hours after the scheduled time and said he was running behind and couldn't make it. He said Customer Service would call me back to schedule another time. Nobody called me back. I complained on their Facebook page. They scheduled a tech to come out. Good thing, the tech came out this time. The problem couldn't be fixed. They scheduled another tech. The problem couldn't be fixed. Then they scheduled another tech. This time, this tech didn't show up, didn't call. I had to call Customer service up to schedule another appointment. They wasted hours of my time trying to be home to get their stupid system resolve. This is the worst customer service I have ever seen.

Feb 12, 2018

We’re sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced. We would love to look into this matter further for you. Please email us the address or service number to so that we can verify the account and further assist you.

Michael Bulzomi

February 5th, 2018 Holbrook, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Company is terrible at repairing your system once you buy it. Been calling several times a week to get a repair person to my house, took 2 months.... He came late after dark and said I cant make a full assessment you need to reschedule, I did next appointment available 2 month wait again with no panels! I call several times speak to supervisors they cant even get anyone in to service my system that is suppose to be maintained by them. They dont care because guess what I bought the system and fianced it, so now they have no need to fix it fats they already got their money. Freaking joke between what the sales person says and what really happens in the company. The best kicker is that this is $37,000 system installed in april 2017 and system broke in July/August 2017. Now its Jan 2018 and still broken, this company sucks wish I went with almost anyone else. Thanks for nothing Vivint

Aaron Pierce

February 1st, 2018

Horrible experience with Vivint. They authorized and signed a contract with a tenant of my house without consulting the owners (me) and installed a system on my roof. Proving to customer solutions that the installation was illegal and should immediately be removed, they are no longer returning my calls or emails and are absolutely dragging their feet to remove system. I may have to sue the company for damages to my home just to get the system removed from my house.

Chris Hanke

February 1st, 2018 West Milford, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Don’t believe the Sales People with this company. I didn’t want Solar to begin with but the Sales Rep made sense. So we got installed and all was great. 4 months later and panels aren’t turned on and my first payment came out of my bank account. The sales rep is no where to be found and Vivint interconnection team can not get their stuff together for the paperwork the electric company is asking for .. so learn from me ... save the aggravation and don’t do it.

Lucie Schnell

January 31st, 2018 Levittown, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivint Solor just sent me an email regarding my $5.00 monthly discount. It stated that if I do not switch to Auto payment that I will lose this monthly discount. However, our sales rep Nathan stated that I could use my debit card and that would not be a problem. I spoke to the billing department and they state that it was written in the contract and that I should have read the contract. That is correct; however, they're placing many pages in front of you to read and sign one may miss a thing or two. I was wrong to trust my sales rep Nathan, because he stated it was okay to use my debit card and get the discount, but he never mentioned that it was dependent on auto payment. Vivint Solar has been giving this discount to their customers at their discretion and now they have decided to enforce their contract. I find this practice miss leading. It personally feel like bait and switch. They give you one thing and that to keep that one thing you must switch to what they want you to do. I know some of you will read this and think it's only $5.00, but to me it about the company's honesty and honoring their word. Just remember I am one customer writing a review on this topic. How many more are affect by this. Therefore, for them not honoring their word I am only giving them one star.

Randy wilson

January 29th, 2018 Indian Head, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First off i purchased my system. The install went great and the system produces more than i expected. I give them 1 star for the monitoring of the system. Like i said i bought my system, but Vivint Solar will not allow me to monitor the individual performance of the panels, just the overall system performance. When asked for the access to monitor by panel I am told that while i own my system they own the monitoring rights....hmmm

Jan 30, 2018

Randy we do apologize to hear about this. We would like to look into this for you to see if there is something we can do for you. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

Brian Tator

January 25th, 2018 Ghent, NY

Very professional and the whole process was quick and very clean and neat. Great co.

Jan 27, 2018

Brian its good to hear that we could make this a quick experience for you! Thank you for your review.

Cheryl paradis

January 22nd, 2018 Fitchburg, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Awful customer service! Salesman lied to me sold me a huge system That would take care of all of our electrical needs plus some haha! But he did not tell me my electric company Has a net metering cap and will only buy my electric back at wholesale price so my bill should only go down about 50%!!!!! They don’t call you back I have called,text, Emailed and used social media to try to get answers and help! Wish I never did business with this company!

Jan 23, 2018

We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. We would like to look into your system size and any other questions or concerns you may have. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

Lazanne Fajardo

January 22nd, 2018 Porterville, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very disappointed in this company! Sales rep lied said there was no catch and that we would be saving money! Said we woukd only be paying SCE to use the meter... HECK NO! We got a huge bill ($1000) at the end of the year plus we pay Vivint monthly... how the heck is that saving money? My SCE bill was cheaper before these solar panels! Wish there was a way to take them off! Never received a written contact from her and when asked she would go around the subject! Will not recommended Vivnt to anyone!!

Jan 23, 2018

We are sorry for any frustration you may have experienced. We apologize and would like to look into your savings for you as well as any other questions. We would also like to get you access to your contract. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can find your account to further assist you.

Gaja Andzel

January 22nd, 2018 Yucaipa, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I purchased a house with Vivint Solar system already installed. I had to continue using the system. Our experience is EXTREMELY negative, here is why: 1. It took them 4 months to realize that the systems are not connected to internet, and no data is obtained, I inquired several times about this and was just brush off 2. It is already 10 months, I asked for representative to explain how it works and why my electric bills are higher than ever, not happened. I requested cost analysis 3 months ago, still not heard back 3. Roof leak, reported 10 days ago, still not addressed, despite 10+ calls from me with attempts to schedule repair. We had their expert coming but ... could not do anything due to LACK OF TOOLS!!! I love my new house, and need to stay in relation to VIVINT SOLAR is the only wrinkle I have to deal with. If you ever have options DO NOT PICK THIS COMPANY, SAVE YOURSELF from a lot of headache! The only good think I can say about this company is the fact that when you call them you can speak to actual person quite quick, customer representatives are nice, pleasant and appear to try their best. The problem is that it is all so disorganized, lack of communication between departments, etc.

Jan 24, 2018

Gaja, we are sorry for any frustration or inconvenience we may have caused. Looking at your account it looks like we have a case manager that is working with you and we look forward to resolving any issues.

Cassandra Benitez

January 18th, 2018 Desert Hot Springs, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sales representative is not explain the overall benefits of getting solars. You pay Vivint for the energy generated, regardless of what is consume.

Jan 19, 2018

Cassandra, we would love to talk to you about the contract and how it works. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

John Davis

January 17th, 2018 Henderson, NV

The salesman was great. Every time I call him he either is able to answer my question, or has someone call me with an explanation. My Solar panels were installed last November, 2017. They still have not been hooked up, so they are not in use. The salesman does not have an answer to this problem. He had a Supervisor call me and he was just full of bull (lots of talk, no answers). All I got from the Supervisor was that a lot of problems are caused by Nevada Power, and Vivint Solar has no way of getting them to complete the project. From the reviews of others it seems customers from Eastern states are much happier with Vivint Solar that are customers from Western states

Jan 18, 2018

John we appreciate your review. We are happy to hear that you have had a good experience with our company. We would like to look into the issue that you mentioned with the utility company. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can verify your account and further assist you.

Daniel Vara

January 15th, 2018 Fresno, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst costumer service! Their panels left a 3 leaks in our roof, it took them 6 months to fix, it has now been a year and they have yet to put all the panels back on. We have a huge pg&e bill every month and Viviant refuses to compensate our pg&e bill until all panels are back on but they keep procrastinating on getting all the panels back on. Every department continues to transfer us back and forth and every supervisor is always busy. Worst experience ever!!

Jan 18, 2018

Daniel, we regret to hear about your experience with us. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can pull up your account to further assist you. We understand that this has been an inconvenience and would like to look into this.

Angela

January 11th, 2018 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivnat sold solar to my elderly parents said they would qualify for the rebates knowing they were on social security. They were also told they could sell their home and sell the solar to knew buyer. Well we just found out the solar is $90k they get no rebate obviously and now they have to sell the home and pay them $45k an attorney is now involved.

MATT Sert

January 11th, 2018 Beaumont, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very good company. Good sales personel. Very good technical.

Jan 18, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, Matt. We greatly appreciate your time and are happy to hear that you have had a good experience with our company.

Dori

January 8th, 2018 Salinas, CA

Reading reviews tells me NOT TO GO FORWARD WITH THIS COMPANY! THANK YOU . I have read enough to make an informed decision Customer service is key not a great sales pitch.

Willy mejia

January 3rd, 2018 Montgomery Village, MD

Very professional company they know what there doing

Jan 27, 2018

We are happy to hear that we were able to make this a professional experience for you Willy. We would like to say that we appreciate your review.

Cheryl Ballard

January 3rd, 2018 Windsor Mill, MD

Sales rep Evan R. is honest, open, courteous, communicates well and is a man of integrity. He provides excellent customer service and is always available to answer any of my questions. That technicians that came to install were also very courteous, knowledgeable, and efficient!

Linda

January 3rd, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company is fraudulent. We have had it for more than a year and haven't seen any savings at all. Basically I feel like we're paying them to have it on our house and there is no return. If there was a way I would have them remove it. Something needs to be done about their lies and deceit.

Joe

January 3rd, 2018 Ventnor City, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Salesmen screwed my paperwork up 5-6 times! Left holes in my roof! Took 8 months to get on line ! Finally they had reimburse me for roof repairs, and we came to an agreement to help Pay down some of my loss! I really had to fight to get what I deserved!!

Jeannette Gosnell

January 3rd, 2018 Yorba Linda, CA

I bought a house that had Vivint Solar panels. During the escrow process, Vivint tried to get the owner's name changed to my name, thus making me responsible for the contract, Somehow, the escrow never completed this part of the process. A few months later, the previous owner of the house showed up at my door to let me know that he was still paying this bill. I called Vivint and asked them to send me a copy of the contract. There is no way I would be bound by this contract, so I refused to transfer it to my name. On Sept 22, 2017, I turned off the power to the panels. I learned two important things about Vivint: They do not have the technology to read their own meters, so the customer is billed for an amount that is pulled out of thin air. To this day, my"usage" continues to go up. Secondly, I have ample evidence that Vivint and Southern California Edison are working together in this deal. I called SCE to ask them about my bill and I was told that SCE only bills me for the power that I use after 7pm. When I questioned them twice about their "extra special way" of calculating this, the customer service rep pivoted and refused to answer the question. Vivint is now sending me twice-weekly e-mails pleading with me to contact them about my late payments. All they need to do is read my file.