Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar systems. The company is one of the most talked about solar installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

#1 Sungevity chevron_right
#2 Zenernet chevron_right
#3 Sunrun chevron_right
3.6

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint Solar sales rep about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in the following 21 states:

• Arizona
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Vermont

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPAs typically require customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get the system running.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

View Best Solar Companies

3.0

Aaron Guerra

June 20th, 2018 Visalia, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I can’t give negative starts! So A sales rep came to my house, they explained how California was having a hard time keeping up with energy demand and that they can install solar panels in my home 100% free of charge, and I would never have to pay thing. Basically help California produce more energy to keep up with the demand . The rep told me I would never have to pay a thing, but that they needed my account, and routing number information just to have it on file . Explain to me that I would receive a regular bill, and still pay for the energy that I would be using on a discounted rate so I would be paying a little less on energy while helping California produce more energy still only paying the energy that I would be using now Out of no where I get charged over $160 and the company is telling me that I have to pay for all of the energy that is being produced . Why did anyone ever explain this to me! I get charged more money that I can afford to pay; my energy bill was never that high to begin with . The way they explained it to me is basically we’re going to borrow your roof put solar panels on it, and it wil produce more energy for California, and you pay your energy bill at a discounted rate . I feel like I’m part of a scam because now they’re just taking my money that I’m having a hard enough time making, while just barely taking care of all of my financial responsibilities, and all the medical problems , and illnesses that my daughter has. I cannot afford this. I’ve made several attempts to contact management department and explain how everything transpired in this situation that I find myself in . Every single phone call that I’ve had so far has basically just reminded me that I’m on a 20 your contract, and there is literally nothing that they’re doing for me they won’t transfer me to a supervisor they will not transfer me to any management, VIviant Solar is pushing me around , and not giving me any direct answers. Im very disappointed in these business practices. People are being lied to, and taken advantage of. Every month I call, and try to speak to someone. All they do is intimate the customer and remain them about the 20 year Contract that they lied about. I never received nor did I have the opportunity to review a copy of this contract until the day I called to complained. They said they would email me one. This is absolutely ridiculous. I told them the rep had written down some stuff while explaining all this, they told me to send them that information, I did via email. Now they won’t even get in Contact with me, but still send me notifications of how my bill is due again! I’m contacting BBB! For all people out there, don’t allow yourself to get scammed.

Jun 20, 2018

Aaron, we are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. We have created a case for you and will have a specialist reach out to you before the end of the week. The specialist will work with you and discuss your account while working to remedy the situation in a timely manner.

Marina E Georgiev

June 18th, 2018 Sun City, AZ

I purchased the property on May 10th with the already solar panels however the system wasn't connected to APS until June 4th however Vivint wants to charge from the beginning. They should prorated the bill as I wasn't able to used it the system. So far I didn't received a print statement from them, they gave me the amount over the phone and I insisting on a writing statement. Today I am sending a complaint to the Attorneys General as reading all the complaints, they should stop them to do any more business in Arizona.

Jun 08, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Marina. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into this situation you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Bernie Julio

June 18th, 2018 San Diego, CA

From Sales rep. Doug, Roof Inspector Chris and Installer Abraham so far have been very professional and informative. Definitely will recommend Vivint Solar to my neighbors, friends and family

Jun 20, 2018

Hi Bernie, we really appreciate the feedback about your experience with Vivint Solar and very glad to hear that Doug, Chris, and Abraham took great care of you!

Paul Yu

June 15th, 2018 Livingston, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The Solar System was installed in 10/2017, but still have not turned on. Constant issues with its paperwork, engineering department, interconnect department. I am notified that it will be an indefinite wait. I payed over $20K + up front in 6/2017. It has been a year and I got nothing. I contract a 6.44 kw system, but they only installed 5.33 kw. Then I caught the mistake, they added more panels. However, the blueprint / engineering design / permits were all messed up due to its own mistakes. I am in the unnecessary holding pattern now. Called Customer service and relationship department. They offer me $200 to compensate the lost. I must be a joke or something! Ready for class action against Vivint if they keep the same pattern of irresponsible behaviors.

Jun 15, 2018

Hi Paul, we are so sorry to hear that you have had this frustrating experience. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

George

June 14th, 2018 Henderson, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

At the beginning the staff was very friendly especially the sales rep Willy (G.) and seemed like they went out of their way to answer any questions. The deal was wrapped up fairly quickly and before I knew it my alarm/ cameras were being installed. I was overpromised by Willy that this would be a quick install and 8 hours later the job was finally finished. I didn't really mind how long it took for the install as I know unforeseen things come up during installs. A few months later my solar panels were installed, a few months after that NV Energy conducted a final inspection and failed the install. Nobody from Vivint could be reached to get this sorted out and Once I would get in touch with someone I kept getting passed along and nobody would take responsibility. Finally a tech came out and made the necessary adjustments and the inspection passed. 2 months later I'm being double charged for my power. NV energy and Vivint are both billing me around the same amount. Again I can't reach anyone. Willy passed me off to someone else and neither of them are answering calls or texts. I called the 800 number that was given to me and I was told that my system is not registering any production yet I am still being doubly charged for power. NV energy confirmed that I have been using power from the grid and that I have not consumed any solar power. The cameras they installed work about half the time and when I try to speak to them about the camera problems I'm told that they don't deal with the cameras that's a 3rd party that's in charge of the camera system. The interesting part about this is that Vivint claimed they kept everything in house. Stay away from these no good crooks.

Jun 15, 2018

Hi George, We're sorry to hear that you had this experience. Please send your address to so we can look further into your account. Thank you

Celeste Thompson

June 14th, 2018 Rio Rancho, NM

My experience with Vivint Solar was very positive. The company representative I worked with was Gerro P. He made certain that I understood each aspect of the process by clearly explaining what to expect and clarifying the ways solar will be a benefit to me as a homeowner along with how it will benefit the environment. He kept me well informed and always got back to me promptly when I did have a question.

Jun 15, 2018

Hi Celeste, we really appreciate the feedback about your experience with Vivint Solar and very glad to hear that Gerro took great care of you!

Efren Estebat

June 13th, 2018 San Diego, CA

We are well informed prior installation of the equipment. Sean and the crew are all very knowledgable and you can ask them anything about it.

Jun 14, 2018

Hi Efren, Thank you for your review and we're glad that the sales and installation teams did a great job! Thank you for your business.

Ernest Desmarais

June 12th, 2018 Bellingham, MA

My system has been in place for two months and it isn't turned on. My electric company sent me an email because they put my system turn on on hold. The system inspection performed by Vivint and the town electrical inspector said that the system was good to go. But the report was never sent to the electric company so that they could change my meter. I checked with the town inspector and he told me that Vivint is suppose to mail in the inspection report. I checked in with the electric company and they never got the inspection report. I called Vivint technical support several times. It's like talking to the wall. They don't care. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that I was talking to a supervisor. He wasn't interested in helping me out. He figured that he had done enough and after two months I am still without my solar power. when I told the supervisor that I was losing money by not running the system, he told me that the system didn't cost me money so how could I be losing money. I wouldn't go with Vivint if I had to do it again. They just don't care. I'd find someone else to put in panels.

Jun 12, 2018

Hi Ernest, We're so sorry to hear about your experience. We would love to help look further into your account. Could you please send your address to so that we can provide you with a better experience. Look forward to hearing from you, thank you.

Becky Dickey

June 8th, 2018 Waldorf, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great experience working with Vivint to put solar panels on two homes. Our salesperson Andrew was very knowledgeable and helpful every step of the way. Installation went great for both and now we’re approved and activated. So glad we decided to get solar panels and glad we chose Vivint to do it!

Jun 12, 2018

We love hearing from our customers, thank you for leaving your feedback, Becky! We are so happy to hear that you've had a positive experience with us. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar.

Jessica Harrison

June 8th, 2018 Yorba Linda, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great company. Great personnel. Zack is so helpful! We recently needed an upgrade to our system because we were using more power and he patiently and friendly walked us through all our questions. We have loved our Vivint Solar experience for the past 4 yours and would highly recommend them for all your solar needs.

Jun 12, 2018

Thank you for leaving us your feedback Jessica! We’re happy to hear that Zack did a great job an took great care of you. Thank you for you doing business with us and we look forward to working with you more.

Juan Orozco

June 5th, 2018 Wharton, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My electric bill is basically the same ...how i really know if a saving even a penny?

Jun 05, 2018

Hi Juan, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into the issue you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Shiny Palilodath

June 5th, 2018 Lodi, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am not at all satisfied with this agency. They didn't install enough panels, because of that I am not getting any saving in my energybill. Actually l am paying extra which is terrible. I contacted them several times and they are not responding to my issues , they are redirecting my calls to different departments. Be careful with their sales reps, they will tell you no cost of you and ask you to write $1 check and from there they collect money directly from your bank. So be careful dealing with them

Jun 06, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Shiny. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Dani Patterson

June 4th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV

I have been waiting since March for solar service. They have a consistent problem with paperwork and communication within. This company is way to slow in profiding decent customer service. If I could go back I would not choose this company for my solar needs. The reason they got two stars is that the contact people have been polite.

Jun 06, 2018

Hi Dani, We know that the solar process can be a lengthy one and we apologize that proper expectations weren’t set. If you email your address to , we can see if there is anything we can do to expedite this for you. Thank you!

Lamar

May 25th, 2018 Goodyear, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am very disappointed in the after-sales care and performance of my 11.2kW system. Very slow from signing to operating. We signed paperwork mid-June 2017, the install was Aug 25th and we did authorization to operate until Dec 1. Looking at bills now I am not convinced that they system will save any money at all and to top it off I have a pigeon infestation that is going to cost $800-$1000 to clean up and fix. My neighbor just had solar installed with another company, exact same floor plan as ours and animal guards were included on his system. Even if we save $50-$75 per month we won't see any savings for another 18 months or so. If I had it all to do again I would not do solar or at least I would have shopped around more and avoided Vivint Solar for sure.

May 30, 2018

We're sorry you feel this way, Lamar. We would like to hear more about your experience, so we can work to remedy the situation. Please email us at with more information on your interaction, as well as your address, so we can look further into your experience. Thank you for your feedback.

Lorraine Ramirez

May 23rd, 2018 Sanger, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

tired of big corporations taking advantage of people. in 2014/ 2015 vivant installed solar panels on my roof. I was at work and got a call that they could only install 7 panels instead of what was needed but was promised that the panels would be sufficient. I signed the work order stating 7 panels were placed. 2,000 NEM bill, Customer Service rep and Sup kept telling me : don't worry and don't pay the NEM as it will go down at the end of the cycle". well it did not and guess what I did not have 2,000 to pay so my electricity was shut off. had to pay 1,000 to turn it back on and make payments. this crappy company never helped out and or returned calls including the sales rep Chad Vogl ( hope the perks of the getting a sale was worth it ). only when the I filed a complaint with PG and E and filed a complaint with the BBB did any real communication start but it was more of you signed the contract and you are not living up to it as you are not paying the monthly fee on estimated cost. Estimated cost for panels that are not working and not no NEM being charged by PG & E. they stated that the panels were sufficient based on the sun and how my home sits. the house across the street faces the same direction as mine and guess what he has triple the panels. This company is a joke. looking for a good attorney right now.

Linna Wang

May 23rd, 2018 Escondido, CA

On May 16, 2018, a Vivint sales person, Scott, tried to trick me. He gave me a tablet and said "Please sign here to verify that I came and talked with you." The signature instruction actually said "by signing here it allows us to check your credit." I refused to sign, and told him sternly "I do NOT give you permission to run my credit." Guess what, that very day, I got an identity protection alert that Vivint solar checked my credit! when I called Vivint to complain, the guy on the phone said it is their common practice to check potential customer's credit with or without permission. So the deceptive practice is normal for Vivint solar.

May 24, 2018

We're sorry you feel this way, Linna. We would like to hear more about your experience, so we can work to remedy the situation. Please email us at with more information on your interaction, as well as your address, so we can look further into your experience. Thank you for your feedback.

Moe Demers

May 18th, 2018 Dracut, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had Vivint solar for several years now. I have had nothing but headaches from their customer service in Utah. After complaining for several times sending in 6 months worth of my electric bill for proof never getting an answer from anybody I decided to call them and tell them I was going to take the panels off and throw them down to my yard. Two days later two technicians showed up they checked out my system and I had 5 panels not working! This was going on for about 5 or 6 months. No one has returned any calls to me to give me any type of credit for this. I complained 3 times that something was wrong. So far I have had no use for Vivint solar.

May 19, 2018

Hi Moe, we are sorry to hear that you have had system performance concerns. We would like to help resolve these concerns. Can you please email us at with your address? We will look into this and do our best to help resolve this problem soon. Thank you for your patience.

Richard Basham

May 16th, 2018 Clovis, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

A representative for Vivint came to our door a year ago. Very misleading sales pitch. He said we woul be charged .16 cents per kilowatt hour which sounded great. What he didn’t tell us is that’s based off what the panels produce NOT what we use! We are saving absolutely nothing! Statements only show production not what we have used. He also pressured us when signing the contract. Said it’s just what I told you, just initial and sign here. He seemed so nice that we were too trusting. I have been so upset over this that I feel sick. Customer service has just given me the run around. I want an itemized bill! I can’t belive we are tied into a 20 year contract with these crooks. If I don’t get answers soon I guess I will have to resort to talking with an attorney. Please beware and look at all options because this one is awful!

May 17, 2018

Hi Richard, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Vivint Solar cannot bill on usage like a utility company, as we cannot guarantee how much energy the solar panels will produce. We do not warrant or guarantee savings, however when designing the system your current usage was taken in account to design a system that will help fit your needs. In the summer months your solar bill may be higher as you produce more energy, and if that energy is not used it will often be stored up and be applied as credits to use in the winter months with your utility. If you have additional questions and or concerns about your billing or production please send an email with your address to . Thank you for your feedback.

George/Susan Jessmer

May 16th, 2018 Ludlow, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had Vinvint solar for several years I have had no problems with the panels, my problem is that I refered possible new customers to them one has had the service for a year My review page or whatever it,s called has the name of one of these people on there 3 times my supposedly representative put them on . So far I have spoken to several supposedly customer representatives that said no problem I will get back to you. Well all I can say for the company is don,t expect to get any check and any return calls even though the names are on your so called site or whatever on the computer.

May 17, 2018

Hi George and Susan, We are glad to hear you are enjoying the panels! Will you please send an email with your address to , so we can look further into your referrals? Thank you for for the review.

Manny and Joan Motta

May 14th, 2018 Somerset, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been experiencing all kinds of problems with Vivint. We were told in November of 2017 that they were coming to check our panels. When asked if there was a problem we were told that 10 panels were down! When asked how long they were not working we were told since June of 2017 we are now in November of 2017 and no one knew that our panels were not working yet we are connected to the computer in home system that transmits directly to Vivint fir the energy produced and used. We called them several times for the high electric bills we were paying and it went on deaf ears. Yet we were told they were all working correctly and producing. Many of our friends were receiving very low electric bills and no bills from our NE service National Grid while we were being billed by National Grid and Vivint for bills well over $200.00. I would. Call and tell them something is definitely wrong but no one much cared. In November 2017 they set up a date to come in December but due to a dusting of snow which was gone the next day they were unable to check the panels. So they booked us for January, snow again. They came in March to check but said they did not have the correct tools with them and rebooked again after I had an argument that We were tired of the run around and no one truly were helping solve this problem! Yet we were still paying high electric bills. This time we were told that 15 panels were out. I had several conversations to the Vivint Co. in Utah. Finally they were sending two technicians to the house to fix now 18 panels that were down! They were to be here between 11am and 2pm. On April 7, 2018. My husband and I waited all day and no one came! At 3:45 pm I called Utah and spoke to a young man who said he would check to see why they didn’t come. I was told that they turned in a slip that the panels were fixed. He said they went to your house around 8am and left at 11:30am. I told this person that this was not true! For we were here and no one came to our home. Finally They gave me a contact in the Ma. Area . I spoke to the Mgr for district 1&2 in Ma. Told him the situation he said he would call me back in 1/2 an hour which he did. He set up a crew of 3 men to fix my panels. They called me at 7:15am to say they would be there in an hour. They arrived around 8:15am and did not leave our roof until 3:45pm. We were also told that the system would need 24-48 hours to be up and running but they were not sure how well they would be transmitting because the Envoy unit was not in the right place in our home that who ever installed it put it too far away from the unit that calculates the collection of energy verses the correct usage. So they booked an Electrician for May 15th to install a cable on the other side of the house and change the placement of the Envoy box so hopefully it will read correctly. I also had National Grid send them hard copies twice for our electric usage from January 2017 to April 2018 for we expect Compensation for the money due us for over billing us even with 18 panels down. It will be a year June 1st 2018 and the problem has not been resolved. I was told twice in the last 14 days that they did not receive the hard copies from National Grid yet a young lady in the Comp. dept. said she had received the information but they could not look at compensation until after the 15 th when the system is up and running. I received my hard copy three weeks ago and National Grid said they sent Vivint the day information. With all this going on and Vivint knowing g the problem us with their Company they had the audacity to bill me $188.00 for April Electric bill! I had the bank stop automatic bill payment to Vivint and reported this to A Mgr. at Vivint in Utah who agreed and was to speak to billing to eliminate this bill! My home is a medium size ranch with 48 panels! I should have very small bill from Vivint and no bill from National Grid as do my neighbors! Many have credit from Vivint and National Grid That has NEVER been our experience. We wish we had never installed solar panels, for we see no savings as was the big pitch before we accepted the panels. Plus paid $9,000, for a new roof to place the panels knowing our roof was still good for another 7-8 years we were told when Vivint came to first measure our roof for installment of the solar panels. The other problem is you can never talk to a Rep. from the Co. they are not available to speak to. You either get the first contact on the phone and they connect you to office people who really cannot fix this problem! VERY FRUSTRATING TO SAY THE LEAST! What I have stated is our true experience with Vivint Solar Co.

May 17, 2018

Hi Manny and Joan, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to , so we can look further into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

Paul sullivan

May 11th, 2018 Malden, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I can’t swear but fun horrible I’m using his name miles told me my system was done only a week like I’m an idiot then denied it to my wife 4 inverters out had to wait till spring for a fix and said they don’t compensate for utililiy payments made which really sucks all in all worst decision and my wife’s nephew works for them and asked about snow guards before someone or my dog gets killed and he said we never mentioned it another lie just sucks all the way around

May 17, 2018

Hi Paul, We are sorry to hear that you feel that way. Vivint Solar does not require customers to have snow guards, although we do have the option available to purchase them if you choose. If you could send us a private message with your address we would be happy to look further into your account to see what we can do to help. Thank you for the review.

Carrie Peterson

May 3rd, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They lie get Everything in writing they say They told my son if he moved and people didn’t want to assume loan they would move for 400.00 lied sin lost over 10,000.00 because of them Told us they pay for referrals gave them 5 and no payment ever came. They told us they would guarantee us no power bills if we bought the amount of solar panels they told us to and they monitor problems LIED!!! WE had a bill for over 500 dollars and since at least a hundred dollar bill per month plus their payment They said they missed seeing the problem They make up crap saying it is something we did like turned off the breaker Why would we??? Then by some miracle the next week they call and say they need to change the inverter They said they will reimburse you at the end of the year for the power we paid LIE!!!! Biggest 40,000.00 mistake ever

May 11, 2018

Hi Carrie, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to , so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

MArtha Ramirez

May 3rd, 2018 Sacramento, CA

These Vivint people think we consumers are stupid and never notice when they come at you with a pitch they practiced the night before. I never listen to pitchers I always prefer people who have some respect for me and are open to a honest conversations. Vivint just will never do.

May 11, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Martha. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Tom Robertson

April 24th, 2018 Audubon, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had solar installed 2years ago, first year was good, then the inverter developed a leak and failed, took them 4 months to finally replace the part, then something else failed and have been waiting for them to fix this problem. So, for the last year hasn’t functioned. Considering having them remove the system, and have them replace my roof and repair the siding behind the inverter.

May 11, 2018

Hi Tom, we are sorry to hear that you have had system performance concerns. We would like to help resolve these concerns. Can you please email us at with your address?

John

April 19th, 2018 Mira Loma, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I don’t know what a few of these people are talking about but I guess it’s like anything else. However we love our system! Perhaps Vivint has solar locked down in Southern California better or something. Our system is producing very well and mos we requested 105% of our power. That way we could use the air more freely. We got a edison bill the end of the year as expected for only $80. I guess it was for the connection fees as the sales representative clearly explained. Our system also looks nicer then our neighbors - very sleek! I’m well aware of the tier rate increases in January and the time of use rate increase in the future. Really glad we made the no brainer switch. There’s so much sun here it makes no sense not to have solar and Vivint delivered on everything that was promised from the door to door sales manager. He said the only thing that could possibly go wrong is edison takin a bit to turn it on but the easy solution is I turned it on after 3 weeks as suggested no bi deal. Thanks Vivint super happy with everything and they exceeded expectations. I might even get you security smart home next ??

May 11, 2018

Thank you for leaving your feedback, Mira! We love hearing that you've had a positive experience with us. Thank you for choosing us to go solar!

RICHARD L HORTON

April 18th, 2018 Lincoln, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Don't even consider. There is nothing good in getting involved with this company. It's all bad. I only operated the solar for 2 months at no savings. I put my house up for sale and it won't sell with this contract. I can't transfer it because I was thinking of AZ and they say no to that. These things the salesman don't tell you. They hooked me good.

May 11, 2018

Hi Richard, we are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to , so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

Stacey Dittrich

April 16th, 2018 Aptos, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had Vivint about 2 years. When we signed up for them we asked repeatedly how much it would cost to take the panels off if we need to redo the roof. We were told each time $500. We mistakenly didn't read the fine print. Our roof started leaking - not from the solar- after one year so we made hired a roofer and call vivint to to remove the pannels We got a bill for $4500 We were floored.. We called the customer service at least 5 times and were told we would get a call back but no one ever called. We finally realized we would have to pay the money... So we paid it. Then we couldn't get them scheduled to remove the panels.. More phone calls without return calls. Finally had some one out. They only took the panels off and they left all the electrical hardware and brackets!!! They told us they were not going to remove them and to have the roofer do it. I was steamed!.. We made more phone calls finally got them out to remove the electrical and they only removed about 2/3 of the brackets because they had another appointment to go to. Our roofer finally agreed to help us. Now we have to put the panels back on.. Wish we could just get out of the contract. Has cost us way more than we will ever save!

May 08, 2018

Hi Stacey, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. We see that you were able to get your panel reinstall scheduled for this month. Please reach out to us at if you have additional questions and or concerns.

Andrea

April 13th, 2018 Oceanside, CA

Salesman came to my door and stated he was from our electric company and wanted to save us money. I saw his Vivent id tag and called him out on it. I told him I wasn't interested. He was very pushy and asked me for a copy of my electric bill and wanted to enter my house. I asked him to leave. What's the matter, telemarketing does not work anymore??? Now they go door to door???

Apr 13, 2018

Andrea, we are sorry for this interaction you had with our sales rep. We don't condone deceitful sales practices. If you happened to gather any of his information we would like to obtain that from you, so we can work to remedy the situation. Please email us at with more information on your interaction. Thank you for your feedback.

Michael Shank

April 11th, 2018 Valencia, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I signed up for Vivint Solar in February 2017, with the promise that I would be billed at Edison Tier one levels. Unbeknownst to me Tier billing was scheduled to end July 2017. Vivint moved slowly through the installation process, completing the project at the end of August 2017. I am now being billed at Time of Day billing which is much more expensive then Tier One billing. I'm not saving any money,

Apr 13, 2018

Hi Michael, can you please send your address to [email protected] so we can look further into your account?

Scott C Goldstein

April 10th, 2018 Simi Valley, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Save your money and find another company. This company lies and does not save you any money. My electric bill went up and they did not install the number of panels they said they would. They then came back and tried to show me how good there panels worked via a tablet app-funny thing was the system was shut off. then they offered me money back as well as to install a new power panel and more solar panels for a higher monthly fee. They still charge me a monthly fee for nothing since the system has been shut off for over 2.5 years. DISHONEST COMPANY...........DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!!!!!!!!!

Apr 13, 2018

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Scott. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

David Johnson

April 9th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV

Salesman came to our door uninvited. They came by 3 times. The last time I told them I was not interested 6 times. But they just kept on telling me how much I would save on my power bill. They told me 50% savings however there cost per kilowatt hour was 11 cents and I pay 14 cents per kilowatt hour now. So I guess they took me for a fool. I told them I was getting upset with there high pressure sales and they staid another hour. I was so relieved when they finally left my home.

Apr 13, 2018

We’re sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced with our Sales team.

David

April 2nd, 2018 Castro Valley, CA

Great experience from start to finish. Outside reps answered all my Questions and detailed analysis of cost and solar production from my panels was quick and painless. At first they could not get accurate reading from google maps to get a good estimate, so they sent an installer out to measure roof and pitch and surrounding tree areas and checked out my current electric panel to get the best reading for the amount of panels my house would need. This was even before I decided to go with Vivint. Other companies I talked with would not do anything like this until I signed on the dotted line. After I decided to go with them, Inside sales crew were on top of things keeping me posted on what was going on behind the scenes with my project. I received the permit to install with in a week of sighing contract. The install took a day (on a rainy day) 2 weeks after approval from county permits. And the reason it took 2 weeks out is because I wanted them to install on a Friday. If I wanted them to install sooner they could have gotten it done sooner if I did not pick a Friday install. After install, the home office crew called me several times to keep me up to date on progress. The following Monday, the county inspector came out and approved the install. I received the info from the home office they are submitted the paperwork for PG&E to convert to Solar and that could take up to 4 weeks or more. To my suprise I received an email from PG&E a week later giving me the ok to turn on my solar panels. So from when I sign to turning on the switch to activate my Panels -4 weeks Thank You-Great Experience with Vivint Solar

Apr 04, 2018

David, we are happy to hear that we could make this a quick experience for you! Thank you for your review.

Kenneth Bloem

April 2nd, 2018 Rancho Cucamonga, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had Vivint Solar for 2 years now and just received a "True Up" bill from Southern California Edison (SCE) for $692 and was blown away. I immediately called Vivint and requested an explanation. After numerous promises that I would be called back that never happened I requested a supervisor to help me. She made several promises to return my phones calls but was inconsistent as well. She asked that I send her 2 years of SCE statements (which I immediately did) and they would review it for compensation purposes. Come to find out that a large portion of my solar panels had not been working for almost 1 year however I continue to pay Vivint each month at about the same normal rate. They would only offer me a $120 credit towards the issue. The service department came by this morning and stated, "This is a much larger problem then we realized" and that they'd have to reschedule. It's very obvious at this point that Vivint does not care about me or my situation. They only care about about getting rid of me as a problem. Unbelievable!

Mahesh Nagamalla

March 26th, 2018 Fremont, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'd like to give Vivint Solar "Negative 100 star rating" for their worst customer service and bad business practice. I have been fighting them through BBB to fix all my issues. I suggest please stay away from this company.

Apr 13, 2018

Hi Mahesh, We are sorry to hear that you have been frustrated with your experience in going solar. Will you please send an email with your address to , so we can look into your account? We would like to help resolve your concerns. Thanks!

Ed Raphael

March 23rd, 2018 Helendale, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had Vivint Solar for several tears on the PPA plan and we decided to buy our 22 panels so there would not be a problem when we sold the house. They quoted me a price of $36,000 to buy it now, but said it would only $20,000 if we sold the house. I would have paid the $20,000 now but not the $36000.

Apr 04, 2018

Ed, We’re sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to email us your address or service number to so that we may locate your account to assist you.

Medina-Fontanilla

March 22nd, 2018 Newark, CA

In late November of 2017 we started to consider going Solar. December 5th, we entered into an agreement. On January 2, 2018 we got our solar panels installed. Upon the installation we were told there would be a waiting period for the multiple inspections and approval (3-4 months). During the process we received customer service updates via phone and email. Plus, the online account allowed us to check our progress throughout the entire process. Today, March 21, 2018 we received permission to operate and went solar. 11 weeks and 1 day or 2 months, 19 days excluding the end date. The process was easy, and everyone was very pleasant to work with. Thank you, Juan Arraya, the Vivint Install and Customer Service team.

Apr 03, 2018

Medina, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We greatly appreciate your time and are happy to hear that you have had a good experience with our company.

Bobby

March 20th, 2018 Poway, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The best thing I did with Vivent solar was to buy out the system and get them out of the equation for my home. I would highly recommend to buy a solar system and NOT lease one even if the lease company is perfect. The lease company puts a lean on your house. At the end of the 20 year lease you own nothing and they still have you hand cuffed with the lean. Worse even, most people do not want to assume this bad lease when you go to sell hour house.

Janet Curry

March 19th, 2018 Lincoln, CA

This company has serious issues with follow through! I have been waiting since the panels were installed on my roof in September, 2017. As of mid March, 2018, the system has not been turned on. This company is run by children. All they can do is point the finger at someone else. It is either the City Inspector or PG &E that is causing the delay. COME ON, MAN, and take ownership of your failures to deliver! At least then I would respect you. I cannot recommend this company to anyone at this time. They need to grow up and act like adults. I had such high hopes as the initial sales person was most excellent in his communication skills but his company let him (and me) down.

Mar 19, 2018

Janet, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to so that we may locate your account to further assist you with your concerns.

Cauncenet Brown

March 16th, 2018 Perris, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We regret the day we had solar panels installed with Vivint. Our electric bill has not been lower like they promised. Our bill electric bill is higher. We HATE Vivint Solar.

Mar 17, 2018

Cauncenet, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to so that we may locate your account to further assist you.

Denise Heffernan

March 16th, 2018 Springfield, MA

Vivint Solar is the very best. From the representative that gave us all the ins and outs of the solar panel industry was very knowledgable from the start until the end of the installment. We didn't have a single problem with anything. I would highly recommend Vivint Solar to anyone looking for quality workmanship to help save our economic electricity cost. Think Green Go Green with Vivint Solar Panels

Mar 17, 2018

Denise, thank you for leaving a review with us. We are happy to hear that you have had a great experience with us with no problems. We look forward to getting your system up and running.

Scott McCormick

March 15th, 2018 Trenton, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Do not use Vivant. I live in NJ and we had a snow storm. The snow slid off of the panels and took my gutters down. I called and was told its an act of god and they don't cover it. But i can PAY for snow clips! I emailed my sales rep and i got a return to sender email. Apparently he doesn't work for the company anymore, surprise surprise.

Mar 17, 2018

Scott, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to email us your address or service number to so that we may locate your account to assist you.

Karen J Stephens

March 15th, 2018 Desert Hot Springs, CA

In two months we will have been working on this 4 month project for a year! They sent out installers before the trenchers! I have had a trench in my side year for 8 months. By the time anyone comes out to inspect it animal activity will have filled it in! Very unhappy will everything about them!

Mar 17, 2018

Karen, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to so that we may locate your account to further assist you.

Becky Shipley

March 8th, 2018 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivint came out looked everything over and installed panels. We saved 200.00 to 400.00 a month in the summer 100+ degree heat we have here in Bakersfield Calif. We were out no Money to have this work done and very pleased with Vivint. Would recommend to anyone.

Mar 17, 2018

Becky, that you for taking the time to leave a review with us. We are happy to hear that you have saved money and we appreciate your recommendation.

Anthony Guiliano

March 6th, 2018

Al the 1 star reviews are 100 percent spot on. This company lies!!!! My friend works with this company abd is doing very well. Goes on nice trips all the time, meanwhile all of us are stuck with crazy bills because of the lies they feed you. The corporate office will show sympathy, but just give you the run around. I would never recommend this company to anyone. It took 6 months to get my solar turned on when I was told 3 months max. We had plans to run the piping through the garage abd when I got home they were installing them on the outside wall, so I made them take it down and start over. They were suppose to come patch all the holes which they never did, or knew about until I called them. To be short, DON'T TOUCH THIS COMPANY!!!STAY AWAY, you will regret this decision. I am a brand new customer and I now wish I never had them. I now have to look everyday on the computer to make sure everything is running correctly, because they don't moniter the system, but they will tell you they do. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Mar 07, 2018

Anthony, we are sorry for any frustration that we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

Sophia

February 27th, 2018 Long Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivint is the worst company I have ever dealt with, they are the biggest liars I have ever dealt with. We had been interviewing solar companies, a friend of ours had just had her panels installed by vivint so we decided to go with them, biggest mistake! the sales rep. showed up told us how many panels we would need, everything was the same as the other companies, we signed up, they did the installation, 6 months later we finally got the okay to turn on the switch. They started deducting money from our bank account, more money than the sales rep said they would deduct monthly. We spent the summer thinking we were solar and according to what the sales rep said we were saving money, well a year after the installation we received a $1500.00 bill from Edison. We were floored, because according to the sales rep. we had more than enough panels to produce more electricity than we needed, that the excess would go back to Edison, and they would send us a check at the end of the year, to pay us for the extra electricity produced by our panels, but instead of a check we got a $1500.00 bill. We called Edison, they told us that the panels did not produce enough electricity, and Edison provided the electricity the panels were supposed to produce. As it turns out, the panels did not work after a couple of months after installation, Vivint is supposed to monitor them through our internet connection, but they did not monitor them, and yet even when they were not supplying our electricity they never stopped taking our money from our account. When we called them and asked, why did they take over $1000.00 from our account if they were not producing electricity for us? They told us that, whenever the panels malfunction and they do not receive the information through the internet of how much electricity the panels are producing, the customer is placed on an automatic billing amount. Now they are just giving me the run around, supposedly they are meeting to discuss a solution to my $1500.00 problem, this has been going around for over a month, and every time I call, they say that they will be meeting on Wednesday, they have been meeting on supposedly on Wednesday regarding my problem for over a month. I am currently seeking legal representation against this company, if anyone ells out there wants to file a class action against them feel free to make it known here. Predatory companies such as Vivint should be stopped, so that they can't pray on other people.

Mar 07, 2018

Sophia, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

GREGORY DEAN WHITE

February 26th, 2018 Manteca, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

In 2015 April we signed to have Vivint Solar as our power source instead of paying PG&E. We are neither buying nor leasing the system to be specific. Fast forward to 2017 April ironically 2 years later. My wife while in the garage my heard a loud crash outside the garage doors. Calling on me to go out and inspect what happened. What I found, was a tile from the peak of our roof in the bed of my truck. In May, finally having a roofer come out to fix that tile.. The roofer informed us, we had bigger issues than the one tile. He explained, that pigeons were nesting under our solar panels. The roofer was nice enough to provide photos of what he was seeing. Our main concern with the system installed was to put a skirting around the panels to keep birds from crawling under and nesting. Until this point, everything was fine. Calling customer service, I was given the run around, May. June, 4 different techs came out to fix the issues. Each time they would come and go. One tech even said he fixed the problem, by placing a zip tie to close up a corner. Now, that might have worked, but in 105 degree heat. It would last at best 30 days. Calling and speaking with one of the field reps. Explaining that this needed to be fixed, and not with zip ties. The 4th tech came out, put his ladder up, crawled on the roof, and within 10 minutes was knocking on the front door. Said he couldn’t do anything until all the birds were removed. That there were nests up there and he wasn’t going to kill them. I said these are PIGIONS. They are not endangered or protected like Eagles are. Still he refused to do anything. Calling once again, the Operations Manager and Field Rep came out to see why, 4 techs couldn’t fix the issues. They crawled up and came down. Having taken pictures, they provided to me. There was about 2-3 inches of bird droppings built up, plus nests. What now? Well, we have to have a pest control company come out to remove the nests, clean, sanitize the roof. Before anything else can be resolved. Dealing with Vivint and their damage personnel are a JOKE! All I have to say is. If you drink now, you’ll drink even more. If you don’t drink, you’ll start. They are children with no common sense. Telling us that they will find a pest control company to come out and do all the work. That would mean that the solar panels needed to be removed to PROPERTLY do the cleaning. After hearing from one individual he contacted a company. That was able to do the job for $1000. Even though I provided 5 different companies bids. Where each of them came to the home to see the job site and what really was being dealt. That company removed itself from preforming the job. Meanwhile, going back and forth with this company. Vivint would not meet the time line. Let me remind you that this was from All June to the last week in July. When I finally, had enough and told them they had until August 1, 2017 to remove the panels. Otherwise, I’d remove them myself and throw them in the yard for pickup. Once the panels were removed the roof could be cleaned properly. After which a roof inspection would proceed. If the inspection came back clear, then the panels could be reinstalled. Well, there was found damages to the roof, and also leakage. Notifying Vivint of these finding they proceeded to stone wall. I explained before anyone from Vivint steps onto the property. I wanted to know who they were. Were they a General Contractor, with a Roofing and Solar Installation license. If they did not have all 3 of these licensees. They would not be permitted onto the property. This came as a result of speaking with several of the installers and techs. Coming to find out, they were not licensed in solar or had never done this type of work in the pass. One came from Sales and went through a very brief training. Another was from high school. So, that is why I insisted they be licensed. After I sent my 13 page letter directly to the CEO. I received an email and phone call. The individual would attempt to be understanding. But when I started demanding certain issues be resolved. She said I had to contact their legal and arbitration departments. Not a problem I said. Since then, I have provided Vivint several letters, even contacting an attorney to attempt a dialog with Vivint. Trying to resolve or attempt to come to an agreed resolution. February 2018, after months of nothing. There has been Only 2 reply’s, one (1) stating not to send correspondence to the CEO and that came in around October 2017. The second (2) reply was their legal department wish to talk with me directly. But needed to have permission to do so. The attorney on February 15th 2018, wrote an email authorizing permission to speak with me. Since February 16th, 2018. I have attempted to speak with their legal department. I have attempted seven (7) times, without Vivint Attorney answering or returning my call. Vivint insists they want to come to do their own assessment of the issues. Yet, Vivint has not provided or even attempted any type of willingness to come up with their own General Contractor, Roofer at this time. Today is the February 23, 2018 at 1519 hrs. So, my only recommendation for anyone. IF you have read this. Before signing any contract whether it is with Vivint or someone else. Check their status under the Better Business Bauru for the State(s) they are located and licensed. Especially their Corporate Office is located in. See how many complaints there are, have they been in bankruptcy. What is the true cost of the system vs whatever you want to do meaning buying, leasing, and power purchase agreements. Do your homework in the end you’ll have saved so much. One last thing. Does solar work? Sure, but like anything there is a catch. READ the fine print or take it to an attorney. Respectfully, Gregory Dean "Iceman" White SSG, U.S. Army Retired

J campo

February 26th, 2018 Bristol, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My rates went up after switching to Vivint and my sales representative was misleading by telling me they would decrease. Terrible customer service in addressing this issue.

Mar 07, 2018

J, we are sorry for any frustration we may have caused. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

Carol Hinds

February 13th, 2018 Desert Hot Springs, CA

BEWARE Vivint!!! I was shocked to drive by one of my rental houses in Desert Hot Springs in Sept. 2017 - to find Vivint installing a massive solar placement. I immediately had them stop since I had never authorized solar! I called & emailed them -- but they just kept passing me off to someone else. When I went to the City - I found that they had obtained a fraudulent permit for a $33,880 installation - signed by someone unknown to me. (I wasn't even in the state at that time). The tenants said the Salesman said he had all the paperwork needed from me, and that they would save "lots of money" every month - and could even take it with them if they moved. In November, I got a "non disclosure" agreement, calling it a "dispute" over the "Customer Agreement" HUH - I never signed one. They said their workers would "repair" my roof - but I could not even tell a future buyer about the repairs. My attorney has written them - but no response. So now it is February 2018 - and my newer tile roof still has 160 holes that they put in it - and there is still Vivint Electric boxes on the side of the house.

Feb 13, 2018

Carol, we are sorry to hear about your experience. Please email us your address or service number to so that we can locate your account to further assist you.

Stefan

February 12th, 2018 Tampa, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I loved it everyone else must have trees because it does what it says!

Feb 13, 2018

Stefan, thank you for going green with us and for your review.

Tuan Nguyen

February 5th, 2018 Lowell, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Stay away from this company! The sale team was great. The installation team was great. The customer service? The worst in the world. Think of your Comcast/cable company and multiply that by 10. Their system didn't report the usage correctly. I scheduled an appointment. They gave a 2 hour-window. Nobody showed up. Nobody called. I called to schedule another appointment. They gave a 2 hour-window. The technician called up several hours after the scheduled time and said he was running behind and couldn't make it. He said Customer Service would call me back to schedule another time. Nobody called me back. I complained on their Facebook page. They scheduled a tech to come out. Good thing, the tech came out this time. The problem couldn't be fixed. They scheduled another tech. The problem couldn't be fixed. Then they scheduled another tech. This time, this tech didn't show up, didn't call. I had to call Customer service up to schedule another appointment. They wasted hours of my time trying to be home to get their stupid system resolve. This is the worst customer service I have ever seen.

Feb 12, 2018

We’re sorry for any frustrations or inconvenience you may have experienced. We would love to look into this matter further for you. Please email us the address or service number to so that we can verify the account and further assist you.