Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar energy systems.

The company is one of the most talked about solar panel installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

Go Directly to Vivint Smart Home Customer Reviews

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Warranty Coverage
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, solar loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the solar PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to utilize alternative energy and save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Warranty Coverage

Vivint Solar offers a number of warranties for customers who select a solar purchase or a solar loan. For example, the solar installer offers a workmanship warranty that guarantees its work will be free from material defects for 10 years.

In addition, each solar panel system's panels carry a 25-year linear performance warranty, and inverters carry minimum 10-year manufacturers' warranties.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract with the solar company: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels to their new roof at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint salesperson about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in all 50 states, as well as in Washington D.C. and the Virgin Islands.

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power and clean energy with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPA typically requires customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get their solar system running after the installation was complete.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality customer service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

3.2

Jay T

December 27th, 2017 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst experience ever. Cannot wait to get rid of Vivint. The sales guy lied. Said costs would drop by 40%. PG&E bill dropped, but Vivint bill is 50% higher than what I was paying without solar. At the end of the year I get a $465 bill from PG&E. Vivint is garbage.

Melinda

December 21st, 2017 Stratford, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I I have had excellent experiences with Vivint solar over the last 4+ years. Their support team is frequently in touch to check in and provide info or offer assistance if needed. Vivint team members are professional, polite and knowledgeable. They know the product and are fully prepared to explain down to the smallest detail. Because other procedures need to be completed by the electrical company as well as the town before the system is up and running, I found the frequency of phone or text contact extremely helpful. As I own a house with an in law apt. This is the third installation of solar panels. My experiences to date have all been positive. I'm ecstatic that my electric bill is so low and I've even been rewarded with monetary incentives for recommending others who might want to save tremendously.

James Butler

December 20th, 2017 Pasadena, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great experience with initial customer rep, customer service via phone, updates to status and installation process. Only didn’t give 5 stars as the initial rep stopped communicating with me once I acquired service.

Vincent DeSantis

December 20th, 2017 Springfield, MA

Excellent experience. Every detail explained. Workees very professional

Sarah Landon

December 20th, 2017 Tilghman, MD

Well, we were told by a company last year that we weren’t able to put panels on our roof based on photo from google earth. When the salesman knocked on our door, we we so pleased to learn we might me eligible. He was terrific! Great to work with.

Maria Almeida

December 19th, 2017 Swansea, MA

Great customer service. Step by step assistance. Answers always answered. Thanks for the roof rebate!!

Ruben Santiago

December 19th, 2017 Fairfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

You can read about my experience two weeks ago or so. Guess what I'm still waiting for an update from ana,Emily and Scott. To this day I have not recieved any updates regarding going live with my solar system. I'm about to reach out to the local news to have them do a report on them and the broken promises.....

Veronica Lipkins

December 19th, 2017 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Anthony M. my sales guy was very professional and thorough in explaining how Solar works and how it would benefit us. He also kelp we informed about the progress in the installation process. The installation guys where very professional. They arrived on schedule even thought we had a little snow the night before. They explained everything to me before getting to work and cleaned up when done.

James Robinson

December 18th, 2017 White Plains, NY

Salesman is the best and the workers were top notch

Carol Christmas

December 18th, 2017 Hamden, CT

Joshua J. is the best sales rep any company could have. He is thorough and explained everything in detail at every phase of the process. All the workers were polite and efficient. I will not hesitate to recommend Vivint to all my friends.

Charoletta Ransom

December 18th, 2017 Pomona, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The sales person said I would save on my bill which averaged $600 per month and that was decreased by a medical base therm to $400. Said my bill with them would average $200 and that I would owe Edison about $20 per month at the end of year for a total of about $240 per year. No up front cost anf service is free. Well its been two years and my bill from Vivint averages $250 no matter the usage and my annual bill from Edison is $3,600, plus their charges increase despite their promise that it does not!! Lastly, when my roof leaked in the back they failed to service or repair the damage they did to my roof!!! Don't buy into the no cost its a sham go with Sunrun or some other company and purchase your panels!!!

Anny

December 15th, 2017 Methuen, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’m a real estate agent and been happy with Vivant solar since the day from the installation to the visits they do periodically and also happy with the money I’ve been saving all year. I would definitely recommend this company to my clients.

Robert Bergeron

December 14th, 2017 Absecon, NJ

I would have given 5 stars, but think that is premature.. On the basis of my experience so far, it is 5 stars. I've been very pleased with the contacts and how we've been treated. The installation job on my roof looks excellent and the craftsmen were pleasant and courteous.

Bonnie Chepovsky

December 14th, 2017 Norton, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great service, I had Andrew as a rep he explained everything clearly and answered all my questions. Installation was quick and awesome to watch. Can't wait to see the savings!

Hunter Scott

December 14th, 2017 Brigham City, UT

Sales person came to door. Did a brief review, I seemed to more know then they did about the Solar options. Came back two more times and sales person still wasn't sure about all our questions.

Madhu Yetukuri

December 14th, 2017 Orange, CT

Going Solar for our home was a seamless experience. The options were well presented and all questions where honestly answered which made our decision easy. The installation and the wiring work was meticulously done. I would highly recommend Vivint Solar. Thank you Josh and team.

Ann H Horrocks

December 13th, 2017 Hamden, CT

Josh the sales person went above and beyond every experience that I have ever had with a sales person polite very well-informed very professional but very friendly and down-to-earth the men were here yesterday installing my solar panels were also very professional very polite executed excellent service I would go for it again if I had a choice and I need that thank you

Darlene Nopper

December 13th, 2017 North Adams, MA

Everyone from start to the installation was Great!

Collin Pick

December 12th, 2017 Palm Harbor, FL

Great service. Able to explain everything without pushy sales tactics.

Lisa

December 12th, 2017 Bellingham, MA

So far it has been very easy and they have been more than accommodating to my schedule. Can’t wait to see my savings!

Alfred Darby

December 12th, 2017 Rehoboth, MA

Love the fact they use the current technology for their entire sales, order, build and bill processes. No paperwork to deal with - everything is electronic.

John

December 12th, 2017 Bayville, NJ

They have delivered on everything they promised thus far.

Sue Schlutow

December 12th, 2017 East Haven, CT

So far everything has been exactly as they said it would be and everyone that has been here installing or prepping has been wonderful.

Jason shipman

December 11th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have not had not one good experience with vivint solar nothing but problems from the time we signed up we have had the solar system a little over a year and it was down for 4 months the communication sucks I ask them to call and no one does we were told if our system went down we would get compensation when it’s down and did not happen nothing has happened that we were promised

Frank Murphy

December 11th, 2017 Dracut, MA

We met with Hilary A. at our home and she has got to be one of the nicest, funniest and most knowledgeable people in the solar business. She answered all our questions and explained all the benefits of going solar in an easy layman's manner that was easy to understand.

Sammy

December 8th, 2017 Philadelphia, PA

Salesman was very friendly & informative. installers appeared to knew what they were doing, were polite & well-mannered, completed the work and cleaned up behind themselves.

Natalie

December 8th, 2017 Marysville, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible horrible experience. The sleaze bag representative completely lied to us and now we are trying to find a way to remove or buy our panels so we can sell our house. The guy told us that they will remove the panels if we go to sell the house and it would void the contract... Big big lie. He had us sign electronically and didnt provise us a copy. He pulled a fast one on us complete with a bold faced lie. The company also messed up our roof tiles and blew our pg&e metwr during installation. Do not use them. Stick to pg&e. It was actually cheaper for us to not have solar.

Patricia Abu-Raya

December 7th, 2017 New Bedford, MA

Henry was excellent. He was to answer all the questions and the information that was provided by him was accurate

Melissa Frawley

December 6th, 2017 West Hartford, CT

Very informative when answering all ?'s in clarity. Very respectfull.

Laura Quay

December 6th, 2017 Marcus Hook, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I just received service from Vivint Solar. I was very impressed by the service and the professionalism of the staff. I would recommend them to any other person that would like solar energy. A special acknowledgement to Tim the foreman very nice and answered all my questions. Very professional!

Marvin Carley

December 6th, 2017 East Haven, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Tabitha was very clear as a salesperson in explaining solar to me. She came out one day after panels were installed to see how everything went. She also told me to call when I needed help. The guys who installed everything were courteous, professional, and cleaned up and explained exactly what they had done.

James Welch

December 6th, 2017 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've only had Vivint for a year now but I am very happy with the savings that I've received. And their customer service and the Reps have all been very helpful and friendly

James Welch

December 6th, 2017 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had the best experience with Vivint Solar Company! I was amazed at the savings we've gotten. I would highly recommend Vivint to all my friends and family

Kathie

December 6th, 2017 Toms River, NJ

So for everything has been uncomplicated. Very smooth intstall.

Sherri Ann Fazzio

December 5th, 2017 Tampa, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They guys did an awesome job and were very professional.

Anthony LaBrecque Sr

December 5th, 2017 Dracut, MA

The workers did a excellent job and they were very informative and polite They all knew what they was suppose to do. I give them a A plus Thank you for sending this great team. Semper-Fi..... Tony

Vicki Gray

December 4th, 2017 Germantown, MD

Everyone has been very professional. They have answered all our questions and have kept us informed each step along the way. The installers were all great too. They were sure to keep the area safe and they were done in about 4 hours.

John D'Amico

December 4th, 2017 West Haven, CT

Paul A. from Vivint contacted us in August when we agreed to solar we needed our roof replaced Paul said he can roll that into the solar payments. This was a huge help for us financially. Kellner Roofing cam in and had the roof done in one day! Saul from there was very professional the roofing crew were quick and they left my property cleaner than when they started. The Vivint crew came installed my panels upgraded my electrical panel in one day also. They again were very professional. I had 2 bumps in the road the first was the company who was to do the energy audit they did not show the day they were supposed to I made another appointment they came in and did a stellar job. The other was my utility company did not change my meter. That is what I'm waiting on today. Paul has been with me the whole way got my my inspections on days off so I didn't lose pay. As if today all head been installed and inspected I'm just waiting on the meter switch. I'm sure this will be resolved tomorrow. Overall I'm very pleased with Paul and the Vivint team. Now i wait for it to be turned on and the savings to start.

Glenn Humphrey

December 4th, 2017 Marshfield, MA

Representative was very thorough and knowledgeable regarding solar look forward to working with Vivint

Kenneth McFarland

December 4th, 2017 White Plains, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My rep is awesome. He's very attentive and super helpful. He made sure all our questions were answered and that we were completely at ease.

Christopher Murphy

December 4th, 2017 La Plata, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

From a Customer Service perspective Andrew has been hands down one of the best. I can’t speak enough for how engaged he has been. Hands down one of the best representatives I have worked with. I am very impressed by him and he is truly a valued asset in your organization. We are still working towards resolution on some instllation issues but the Murphy’s are happy we made the choice to go with your company thus far. We look forward to a successful business relationship as we move forward. CDM

stephan petrov

December 4th, 2017 Glastonbury, CT

Very smooth with no issues The crew was knowledgeable and friendly Great experience

Rose Lima

December 1st, 2017 New Bedford, MA

Vivint has been excellent so far and I cannot wait to start to see the savings!!

M

December 1st, 2017 Howell Township, NJ

After 7 months of missed appointments, failed deisgn, failed inspection, still no solar. Please, please do not do buisness with them - you will greatly regret it. Nothing but fustration, lost work days for appointments that were missed and misleading information. I am so upset tha I am in. Aleasing contract with them that is forcing me to keep it. Ready to remoce the panels myself. Horrible customer service.

Francisco benitez

November 30th, 2017 Downey, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am usually not one to leave a review, but after being a person that went to look up reviews on this company after a young man, Will, came knocking on my door talking about the solar programs that are available to us, I thought I should talk about my actual experience. When Vivint came knocking I was initially very skeptical but I had already been looking into it and actually had a quote from the Solarcity guy in Home Depot months before, so I let him proceed. Since I never really heard of Vivint before I naturally looked them up and found some frightening reviews. When I confronted the salesman, Will, with the reviews he assured me that in certain areas they have delays and trouble because they are doing business in expanding solar markets like the north east where solar is now an option but here in Southern California ( LA) they operate more smoothly because they do most of there business here and government policies that make the process easier. After telling the salesman I'm not deciding that day he offered $500 cash back to get the process started since the contract can be cancelled until they do the installation. I told him I need a few weeks to decide. After several days he called me back and said after talking to management Vivint approved me for $900 cash back , I decided to take them up on it . *** use this tactic and maybe you can get some cash back offer from them. *** also they have different prices if you do their in house financing or do cash(lower!). I did cash and financed it with a HELoQ) Considering the cost of the solar city was going to 19k and vivint came in at 17500 and they also mailed me $900 I feel I got a pretty good value with a good company. so far I have no complaints. From the day I first spoke to the salesman and when I got a call that I can turn it on, it took about 4 months, which is what they said( "2-5 months") The installation happened fairly quick within 3 weeks of signing the contract. The installation only took 1 day then I didn't hear anything for a few weeks while I waited for them to have the city inspect the installation. about 7 weeks after the installation I was told that the city and Edison (utility)had approved everything and I can turn on the system. Overall no complaints, felt I got a good deal and considering the loan payment and any additional energy charge from Edison I am saving about 30-40% off my electricity bill.

Maggie Alvarez

November 30th, 2017 Orlando, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am extremely upset and would NEVER recommend this company. I have ACTIVE leak in my home and have been back and forth with customer service to schedule an installation and reinstallation so that my roof can be replaced. I have sent over written in request of this for 3 weeks. Every time I call, customer service tells me they will call me back. I have been waiting to receive a call back for three weeks and nothing! When I call, they tell me they sent over a request to their committee a week ago (November 21, 2017) yet I have emails showing I sent them this request on (November 7, 2017). Where did the two weeks difference go? Every time I call customer service, they tell me to give them a few days and they would call me back. I have never received a call from them. I DO NOT RECOMMEND this company and will NEVER recommend any of my customers to use this (as I work with the public). Vivint Solar should act responsibly and an active leak is causing me mold and health issues! Please reconsider before choosing them as your solar panel company.

Lynn

November 30th, 2017 Holiday, FL

My system has been installed but not yet turned on as we are waiting for the inspection. So far the process has been very professional and easy to navigate. My sales associate was very knowledgeable and able to answer all the questions that I had. He took a lot of time to explain the process to me and that was one of the main reasons why I went with Vivint as opposed to the other quotes I had. The install went very smoothly and they did a very good job of cleaning up after themselves.

Kristopher Ontiveros

November 30th, 2017 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the most incompetent company I have ever worked with. Billing issues - It took weeks to get a bill from this company, then they hounded me incessantly about payment. One problem, they were charging me the wrong amount. We are in year 2 of the lease, which is $180/mo, they keep charging us year 5 rates. Several emails and calls and it was not resolved. Install issues - We had to do a simple task, re-roof our house. The lack of communication and straight out LIES is unbelievable. They tell us one day, they don't show up. They tell us the reason they had to cancel and then get caught in a lie when we press them. It's now taken over a week to get them out to re-install, they LIED again and said they were our of parts, when in reality their install crew is in a DIFFERENT STATE. So now I've had to postpone the sale of my house for several weeks because of this company, which has cost me THOUSANDS of dollars. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS

EVANS Kamau

November 28th, 2017

Yet to reap from the service, but future looks positive. The agent Matt r is personable, respectful, knowledgeable and highly recommended.

Joseph Kimatu

November 27th, 2017 Springfield, MA

The panels were just installed. The installers were courteous and they did their job exuding they knew what they were doing. They explained every step they took. The work was complete in approximately 7 hours.