Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar systems. The company is one of the most talked about solar installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

#1 Sungevity chevron_right
#2 Zenernet chevron_right
#3 Sunrun chevron_right
3.6

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint Solar sales rep about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in the following 21 states:

• Arizona
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Vermont

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPAs typically require customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get the system running.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

View Best Solar Companies

3.0

CharlesStultz

November 2nd, 2017 Lynn, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The man was very nice and very knowledgeable.

Robert J Sweeney

November 1st, 2017 Beaufort, SC

The biggest fly by night operation I ever delt with biggest mistake I ever made wish I could have it taken off my house I don't even care about the savings very blind sided

Tony Finazzo

November 1st, 2017 San Bernardino, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivint has the worst customer service I have ever seen. They don't return calls, don't show up for appointments. lied to me continuously about doing a reinstall that has taken eight months and is still not done. Lied about not having technicians, lied about parts availability. I absolutely don't recommend them to anyone.

kenn brinck

November 1st, 2017 Mine Hill, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

There were delays and miscommunications - field tech staff were good, when here. Sales staff and customer relations very, very poor

Barbara and Vince Petrelli

November 1st, 2017

Vivint installed our solar two years ago. They did not install enough solar panels, and in the last twelve months, we paid an average monthly bill to Vivint of $100.00, an electrical overage bill of $1789.24 to SCE, which averaged to $149.10 per month, + electrical bill averaging $3.00 per month. The total average amount paid in electricity and solar per month was $252.10. SERIOUSLY! That's more than we paid in electricity before Vivint's solar panels! We were told that we would be paying less than $50 per month, and that was their selling point. WRONG! We were promised by their rep Tanner Torres, who left the company, that they would add more panels if needed, and we complained six months after installation when we found out about the SCE overage bill forthcoming. They want to fix the problem and add more solar because they admit they grossly miscalculated what we needed, but they won't actually fix it. They want to create an additional contract for 20 years in order to fix it! We just want the first installation done correctly and they won't fix that. They want to try to get another separate contract with us and another monthly bill! THEY ALREADY GOT THE 30% TAX WRITE-OFF FROM THE GOVERNMENT for our installation. We deeply regret doing business with this untrustworthy company. BIG MISTAKE! WE DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING BUSINESS WITH VIVINT! Again, we now pay an average of $252.10...with solar, more that we paid without solar!!!!! And they told us we would pay less than $50 a month!!!

Arlene Medeiros

October 31st, 2017 Springfield, MA

So far, the experience has been easy and pleasant. The Area Manager has been pretty consistent in communicating and explaining. The installation crew was even a little early and they were efficient in getting the job done in the time I had been told.

Brian St. Hilaire

October 31st, 2017 Haverhill, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Mackenzie F W is the best rep ever! Actually stopped by the house just to check in. We went over National Grid credits and out solar panel performance. We were against going solar at first but after having them for 4 years now we see the savings.

Jason Deanseris

October 30th, 2017 Johnston, RI

I had researched solar power for a few years before Edwin Reyes with Vivint Solar approached me one afternoon. The RE Energy program was being offered through National Grid and it all made sense for us to make the move. Working with Vivint through the whole process was very reassuring. My sales rep stayed in constant contact with me throughout the process answering any question I had and was proactive in keeping me informed about the time table and process. I would recommend Vivint solar to anyone who is contemplating the idea of going Solar.

Wei Ma

October 30th, 2017 Bellmore, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service. Installation was a breeze and the service engineers and electricians were all very professional and curteous.

Stephen meehan

October 30th, 2017 Seekonk, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivint has been great from start to finish from the sales rep adam to the custumer service the install team was great with hiding all the condit piping for a clean looking install of the solar panels.

Chaya Schneps

October 30th, 2017

The people we have dealt with are exceedingly pleasant and knowledgeble. The team who installed the panels did a great job and cleaned up!

john ONEIL

October 26th, 2017 Stoughton, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

we had vinyl siding put 7/17/17 so vivint had to disconnect meters , I'VE had 3 -4 attempts to reconnect ,but they keep cancelling saying they're short manpower to this type of reconnect, not happy about whatsoever, here it is 10/26/*17 still not connected

Dareen Conde

October 25th, 2017 Randolph, MA

The salesman was very clear and patient with me when explaining process and procedure, benefits, and advantages of having a solar panel system

Sara Grosland

October 25th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible! My parents had their installation guys come out, and they said their roof was fine to support all the panels. Less than a year later and they had a roof that is caving in. Took these yahoos forever to come over and remove the panels. Now the roof has been done for almost a month, and they won't even call back to say when they'll come reinstall the panels. So for almost 2 months my parents, who are in their 70's, have paid for panels they don't even have. I'm SERIOUSLY looking into contacting the county attorney's office, as it seems they prey on the elderly. Very shady. They also charged my parents $500 to remove the panels, when they NEVER should have been installed on a weak roof in the first place

Mary McGarrity

October 24th, 2017 North Babylon, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I live on Long Island, NY and have my solar through Vivint. The sales person is and was wonderful. About 3 years after we got our panels installed we decided to do the siding on our house, which would require moving our electric cutoff and piping by Vivint. Was not looking forward to the run around of coordinating this with my siding contractor but was surprised when I called my same salesperson, who asked who my siding contractor was and then coordinated the entire thing for me. The best part is there was no cost to me. I was anticipating a charge but there was none. That is customer service. I will and do recommend Vivint to everyone I know. And by the way, if you do the math 2.9% increase on .16 per kw is still .16 per kw. So don't be fearful of the price increase. Cathy Chen is our sales person. She is awesome and definitely smart.

rebecca jones

October 18th, 2017 Lodi, CA

This company is truly a living nightmare. They lie or just exclude facts from you, when you sign up with them. Sadly it took 4 months to sell my house, when I had an offer 2 weeks after I listed it for full asking price, but due to Vivint/Solar I lost many offers If you do not plan on staying in your house for the next 20 years. Then do not sign with these people. I lost 15,000.00 on the sale of my home, due to this company lying. If you cannot find a buyer, willing to buy your home with this company solar on your roof. Then you are either stuck with your house or pay Vivint $50,000, to get out of there 20 year contract. I had many offers on my house, but once the buyer found out the solar comes with the house and that they would have to sign a contract with Vivint, they all back out and told me that they cannot sign a contract with such a shady company. After all that and I finally sold the house… Vivint continued to take money out of my account, because they did not get the transfer completed on their end. When I called them and informed them I no longer own the house, they was not very nice and did not want to cancel my auto pay. Once I told them that I am not longer a customer of Vivint and that is any funds was taken out of my account. I would take them to court for fraud. And only then they stopped my auto pay. I had to go to the bank, to stop payment and was charged $30.00 to do so. This is the first time I have every complained about a company. But I feel it is a must. I went through so much more with this company, if I was to tell you everything wrong with this company. You would be here all day reading how bad they are This is the worst company I have ever dealt with in my 53 years. PLEASE FOR YOUR OWN GOO…. DO NOT SIGN WITH VIVINT

melissa mahon

October 18th, 2017 Dundalk, MD

There customer service is awful. When system was installed I was informed that the system was monitored I did not have to do anything I get an email notifying me what the bill is and it is automatically withdrawn from my account. I just happen to log into my account and apparently for the last 6 months my system has not been communicating so they have been sending me an estimated bill for 6 months never notified me and the supervisor told me that they don't have the resources to have anyone monitor the systems and its on me to basically check if my system is communicating with them as it is still producing but if it does not who knows if they monitor that either. So beware as they will not monitor and do not monitor there products they solely let the computers monitor but no human to monitor the computer insane

Carol Pena

October 17th, 2017 Melville, NY

This company should get a "O" yes a ZERO very bad customer service. Waited 4 hours for technician and no one showed up and no one called. When I called they told me someone called in sick... I understand people get sick but would it have been to much trouble to call and let me no that they were not coming. Wasted a day off from work and no show. Can never get thru to customer service everyone pusses you off on someone else. You can be on phone for hours and get nothing accomplished. So sorry I went with Vivint. Terrible Terrible company to deal with.

Ryan Schaffer

October 16th, 2017 West Roxbury, MA

Poor solar panel installation cause a leak in my roof. It has been 5 months of continuously trying to get the company to remove the panels so that repairs could be made. The leak is so bad that it has gone into the first floor and water is pool in my light fixture... but apparently this is not a concern to the company as they continue to reschedule appointments

Candace Temple

October 16th, 2017

I've been very pleased with my experience so far with their representative. She was very helpful and explained everything. I will be having the panels installed soon.

jacob Basson

October 13th, 2017

the sales person was very nice BUT he did not explain the billing sys right he told us we will pay 15 cent for KW instate 30 cent per KW the bill comes hayer then we was paying to Edison co now the co in oregon tell us that we bill you according our production not what you are using so in short in summer I use to pay average 80$ a mont Know we pay $ 110.00 a month where is the saving ?I will contact once more before I will try legal action.

WME

October 6th, 2017 Billerica, MA

I was fortunate to have worked with Dan P who , in my estimation, has the ultimate face Vivint Solar has out in the fields. If the balance of installation, billing and fulfilling their commitment runs as Dan has promised, I will be extremely happy. I can not say enough about Dan's professionalism, great personality, and most important was the time he spent with me, answering questions, and making sure I was totally comfortable before signing contract. VIvint is so lucky to have him!'n

Bill Fitzpatrick

October 4th, 2017 Burlington, MA

Almost made a big mistake listening to this company, they will say anything to get you to sign a contract! There are great companies out there that do this work for more than just profit. Do your homework, My current system installed by Sunbug works great and customer service to date has been excellent. My advise is always go local, the smaller the company the better the service and you will be supporting your community. You are trying to help the planet while helping yourself, don't ruin the experience by settling for less!

paul

October 2nd, 2017 Warwick, RI

sales person was high pressure didn't want to listen very iow price to low not comparable equipment to others. this has to last 25 years

Charles Legere

October 2nd, 2017 Lowell, MA

I was mowing my lawn when the Vivint Solar sales rep approached. He asked if I had ever considered going solar and I said yes but that I would not go forward until I had the opportunity to replace my roof as the current roof is old and in poor condition. I could not afford to replace the roof immediately but it was in my plans. The sales rep told me that it would not be a problem as Vivint would remove, store and reinstall the panels for a nominal $500.00 fee when I was ready to replace the roof. Well less than 2 years later I am ready to have the roof replaced and the fee for Vivint to remove, store and reinstall is $3,840.00!!!!! Apparently in the contract it states that after 5 years the onetime fee will be $500.00. Well I am only going to replace the roof once and I expect Vivint to stand behind the verbal agreement the sales rep made with me. I have had no luck with the Customer Support people. No Surprise there. The converter in my system malfunctioned back in early June and it took Vivint until the end of August to fix it. My system did not generate any electricity during 10 of the most productive weeks of the year. If it had not been for the bill I received from National Grid I think the system would still be down. So I have not generated any credits with National Grid for the coming winter. I called Vivint on July 3rd after I opened my National Grid bill and saw that I owed them money when my solar system should have been generating ample electricity. They told me someone would be out between 2 and 6 so I left work early and nobody showed up and nobody called. I called back and set another appointment for July 12th and 2 workers came and told that the converter was fried due to water getting in. They naturally did not have a replacement but I assumed they would follow up and eventually my system would be back online. That was the incorrect assumption. I called Vivint several more times and each time I was told the repair would have to be rescheduled to a later date. They finally did come to replace the converter near the end of August after I insisted on speaking with a supervisor, but not before they had charged me for an estimated bill even though my system was not creating any electricity. If you make any verbal agreements with the sales rep…make sure those agreements go into writing on the contract before you sign. Vivint is a poorly managed outfit.

Kathy Desonia

October 2nd, 2017

I tried calling customer service to see if they could tell me if all my panels were working.. I called 4 or more times and all I get is "This is Lisa. I can't come to the phone but leave a message and I will call you back" Never heard from her. It has been 3 weeks. I'm not recommending this solar company.

Seller Suzie

September 29th, 2017

Tells you they will move them for free if you sell your home and buyer doesn't want them but read your lease.. they will move them at your cost. Not free.. try $5,000-10,000.. on a 20 yr lease that's nearly 60k to buy out (in SC).

Gary Ogle

September 26th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

Our unit has been down for 1 month and we keep getting the run around about it getting fixed. They keep telling us they are waiting for parts. Not very happy.

Randall James

September 25th, 2017

The job was completed in one day with a complete explanation and design showing of the panels. The crew was professional and showed up on time.

Erwin Albizu

September 22nd, 2017 Salinas, CA

The system works as any other will, Their website is terrible it does not provide any useful information, if you want to know how much power your system created yesterday, good luck you will never know. If you want to call for service because something is wrong, guess you need to wait 4 weeks before a technician can show up to solve the problem. If you want an email reminder that you need to pay, good luck, the only reminder is when you are late, no chance for any simple things I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND Vivint Solar, do your homework, ask for prior installations in your area. If I can remove the system I would do it right now

Eugene Hagon

September 21st, 2017 Surprise, AZ

I have spoke with the IT department numerous times from 6-2017 till present day and there is no resolution yet. If I had the chance I would not use them again.

Marie Weckerle

September 20th, 2017

9/9/17 Very bad experience... End of June/early July I met with Joshua H, area representative... very knowledgeable, polite, kept me updated as we progressed through the project... 7/25/17: The construction team was great: on time, finished on time, polite, knowledgeable ... 7/24/17: Electrician didn't account for the correct amount of AMPs from the box once the solar was hooked up... 8/24/17: City Inspector didn't pass on the electrical work because of the AMP situation ... I've received several calls from Avint customer service, sometimes several a day (different area codes ‼️). One CS rep would state something completely different from the other CS rep - none of information they conveyed was correct or up to date - all assuring me they would get back after I told them what was, or should I say "what wasn't " On or about 8/31/17 I started calling & leaving messages for Duff, the area manager. He did attempt to get back to me, but I was not available; in the meantime I've attempted to call him about 3-4 times.. 9/9/17... STILL WAITING ‼️‼️

Luqia Hou

September 18th, 2017 San Jose, CA

Vivint put up 27 solar panels on my roof when I only need 9 panels! Vivint solar miscalculated my usage and designed a system that produce three times of the electricity than what I can use. Now each month I am paying at least $100 additionally on electricity. It has been like this for 18 months! I have called more than 20 times and emailed my bills continuously to them. No Response!!! The customer service will tell you they are working on it, but no action is done! I already overspent $2500 on electricity since I installed it in April 2016. Learn from my mistake! Do not use Vivint Solar! It's totally a rip-off. They only care about collecting money and doesn't care about customers at all!

Robert Chesner

September 15th, 2017 Sacramento, CA

the sales person was very professional, helpful and informative and answered all our questions the installation crew was professional, helpful and informative concerning all of my questions about the system

Mrs. Willis

September 15th, 2017 New York, NY

Mr. R was excellent. He explained the Solar installation process and even helped with repairs to keep the install moving and repairs outside of the installation process. After the install, he contacted me to make sure everything went well and that the savings are reflected in the bill.

Karl Schneidet

September 12th, 2017

After paying up-front for a system, I am still waiting to get an inspection to get it turned on. 6 weeks and counting. Customer service doesn't reply to email messages. Simply ignores me. Wish I had never entered into business with them. Clearly they are installing mor sustems than they are capable of managing.

William Bonnett

September 12th, 2017 Perris, CA

Have never had any issues with Vivint. The salesman actually followed the installation with us making the process almost seemless. The issue was with Southern California Edison. Hope I never have to go back to them for my full electric power.

Cynthia Friedrichsen

September 11th, 2017

I currently am trying to work with Vivent but have found them to be less than responsive. We began our Odyssey in February and the installation and city approval went great. Unfortunately an issue arose in the paperwork Vivent supplied and Edison sent it back to Vivent for corrections. That was approx. 3 months ago. I have endless E-mails telling me the exact same thing for three months. Lots of E-mails not responded to when I asked questions, have had to call the company several times and still unable to turn on the Solar. I am sure now that summer is over and I have had 3 months of bills for $500-$600.00 each Vivent might think about fixing their error and I may see Solar before I die

Monte L. Beers, Manteca, CA

September 5th, 2017

No sure what you are talking about, Vivint does not charge for the installation or the equipment, all you pay is the PPA for the amount of energy you produce. We did have some problems with the length of time for installation but since then they are saving me $200 to $300 per month as I had prior PG & E bills from 350 to 650 per month as we use a large amount of electricity. Several of my neighbors also got Vivint and they are also getting great savings. Now my PG&E bill is about $20 (also paying for 75 % of my gas). I highly reccomend Vivint!! Monte Beers

E. Castillo

September 5th, 2017 Oxnard, CA

It is hard to get this system up and running. Setting up for billing and account verification always failed. Account cannnot be found in the system. And no contact with customer on why or how the account has not been set up yet. I think the customer service is not as good as they could be. And it took forever to get the solar system turned on.

James Gaines

September 1st, 2017 Bakersfield, CA

We started our journey with solar in mid-May. The initial activities, to include installation, went relatively well. However, it is now the end of August and our solar is still not up and running. I would just like to get off of PG&E. Our bill for July was over $800. and for August is over $900.

William Kinkle

September 1st, 2017 Merchantville, NJ

I continue to be pleased with Vivint Solar, all that was promised has been delivered, I have recommended Vivint to all of my friends. Thanks again Bill Kinkle

Dusty G Gravatt

August 30th, 2017

This company is Horrible. The installation group, called one late evening in May asked if it was ok to start the install the following day. The installers arrived and totally butchered my house with no respect or thought of trying to hide anything. The electrical pipes are exposed which run up over the roof and through the overhang, nothing concealed, leaving huge holes in my roof and in the stucco overhangs. They have been telling me since May that they had a crew just to do repairs, this is BS, they never have showed up. I don't know at this point if they are done or not. I did get an email stating that Vivint is calling for the local principality to do the inspections. Who knows if this will get done in a timely manner. The reason I even considered installing solar was my electricity bill was so High, now we are through the summer months and still no solar power to offset my utility bill. This process all started back in November 2016. I have built housing tracts in less time.

Gene Shore

August 30th, 2017 Santa Barbara, CA

Furman, my cust rep was great. Company service in all areas was great.

Mark & Gwen Renker

August 28th, 2017

The sales, installation, and customer service people, great. System ready to go in early April. We are still waiting for the corporate review to be finished, 4 months later!! One would have to wonder what is wrong with contract/installation that it would take this long to 'review ' !! Also, I'm still waiting for the paper copy of our contract too! I was told 3 weeks ago it was on its way.

Sam isaia

August 28th, 2017 CA

Don't waste your time and money with this company. The customer service is complete GARBAGE. They will lease you solar panels and can't find the time to come do the maintenance as agreed on your contract. After several weeks on the phone they had nothing but excuses. Frustrating and very disappointing. "Best company" at playing phone tag and giving you the run around. Do yourself a huge favor, Pick another company for solar panels.

Mr. & Mrs. Gerald Smith

August 23rd, 2017 FL

It just took quite a while between the installation and the system being activated.

Kristina

August 23rd, 2017 Bakersfield, CA

My husband and I are very please with Vivint. We just had their security system installed and were very pleased with the thoroughness of the employees. They made sure all our questions were answered. We've had to call the help line a few times and were very satisfied with the customer service. Our solar rep Gary S has been excellent. He's been with us every step of the way for both the security system and solar. He continues to check on us and make sure all our questions are answered. I appreciate that level of customer service. I would most definitely recommend Gary and Vivint.

Tom West

August 23rd, 2017

The up front agreement and installation was great, even the inspection was within reasonable timeframes. However, the administrative review takes way too long to finally throw the switch to get solar. Very disappointing why it takes so long.

Kurt

August 23rd, 2017

Product was delivered and installed in just over three and a half hours . Installation crew was very professional and left my property just as they found it!