Founded in 2011, Vivint Solar is a renewable energy company based in Lehi, Utah, that sells, installs, and maintains PV solar energy systems.

The company is one of the most talked about solar panel installers in the industry, in part due to its notorious door-to-door sales approach.

Vivint Solar was one of the first rooftop solar companies to offer a power purchase agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power the system produces during the life of the contract.

However, a potential drawback of the company, according to Vivint Solar reviews submitted to our site by previous customers, is a delay in getting the solar system up and running after it's been installed on the roof.

Go Directly to Vivint Smart Home Customer Reviews

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Warranty Coverage
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), cash purchases, solar loans, and PACE financing.

As mentioned above, Vivint Solar pioneered the solar PPA, which is an option similar to a solar lease in that it allows homeowners to utilize alternative energy and save money on their electricity bill without having to invest any cash by allowing a solar system owned by a third party to be installed on their roof.

Power purchase agreements typically come with long-term contracts and allow homeowners to pay only for the system-produced power that they use at a flat rate.

With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to take advantage of solar energy with a financing solution that fits their needs and budget.

Warranty Coverage

Vivint Solar offers a number of warranties for customers who select a solar purchase or a solar loan. For example, the solar installer offers a workmanship warranty that guarantees its work will be free from material defects for 10 years.

In addition, each solar panel system's panels carry a 25-year linear performance warranty, and inverters carry minimum 10-year manufacturers' warranties.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it relatively simple for a customer to take care of their solar panels if they decide to move.

Customers will be given four options to choose from if they need to move while under contract with the solar company: transferring the agreement to the new homeowner, pre-paying the remainder of the contract, relocating the solar panels to their new roof at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years).

Potential customers should be sure to consult a Vivint salesperson about moving options before signing any agreements if there is a chance they may have to relocate while under contract.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is one of the most widely available installers in the solar industry. The company currently offers solar installation services in all 50 states, as well as in Washington D.C. and the Virgin Islands.

This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to reap the benefits of solar power and clean energy with Vivint Solar.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement
  • Permission-to-Operate Delays
  • Questionable Sales Tactics

Annual Price Increase with Power Purchase Agreement

It should be noted that Vivint Solar's PPA typically requires customers to sign into long-term contracts and be subject to a pre-determined price increase that is meant to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately.

With Vivint Solar, the price increase is currently set at 2.9 percent annually.

Permission-to-Operate Delays

While Vivint can install a solar energy system within a day, some customers have encountered issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get their solar system running after the installation was complete.

Although this issue pertains more to the time it takes Vivint Solar to get permission-to-operate approval from the city, some customers have described Vivint Solar's customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality customer service throughout these delays.

Questionable Sales Tactics

Vivint Solar utilizes a door-to-door sales approach to market its solar systems. While this isn't necessarily a bad strategy, several consumers have reported dealing with a sales rep who wasn't entirely upfront with them, provided incorrect information, or was overly persistant.

The Bottom Line

Vivint Solar is one of the largest rooftop solar installers in the United States and offers multiple financing options to help consumers of all budgets take advantage of solar power. Vivint Solar also provides customers with multiple moving options.

However, some Vivint Solar reviews left by consumers on our site have mentioned questionable sales tactics and poor customer service from the company after installation. Additionally, PPA customers are subject to annual rate increases.

3.2

barbara

August 14th, 2019 Marcus Hook, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The sales man said we'd save money. I read the paperwork that said we paid only for the amount of electricity we produced. This was great in the winter when I got a partial bill from my electric supplier and a partial bill from Vivint. However, in the summer, my roof produces over twice what we use, but the contract state we pay for the production, not our usage. This production amount is far higher than the "estimated" production we were quoted. That amount was less than we use. The entire process of getting the solar installed and operational took 3 times as long as they said. The system stopped receiving information and we got estimated bills that they said would be fixed and credit given if we over paid. No credit was ever given. We've had them since 2017, a little under 2 years and have had trouble from the beginning. No help ever, and now my electric rate is far lower from the regular supplier than from Vivint! I want the system gone but signed a 20 year contract. I need to figure out how to get out of the contract, NOW.

Aug 16, 2019

Thank you for reaching out to us, Barbara. We definitely want you to experience all the benefits of solar. Can we have a look? Please send us an email to with your account number and review so we can see if it's something on our end. Thanks! P.S. did you know that your savings may fluctuate from season to season? Read more on our blog:

Alfredo Marquez

August 11th, 2019 Stockton, CA

Tyler has explained everything perfectly. All my questions and concerns are addressed in a timely manor. Work was completed and looks very nice and neat

Aug 13, 2019

Thank you for the positive feedback, Alfredo. We are glad that our sales representative was professional and knowledgeable. Thank you for going solar with us!

Doug

August 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We purchased a home that had just recently been outfitted with Vivint Solar Panels. During the process of closing on the home loan we were informed (by our realtor) that we would need to have the solar contract reassigned to us. This was literally days before we were to close. The previous owner led us to believe it was just part of the home sale. (Not Vivint's fault) However, we also later learned that Vivint had been notified of the sale of the home by our real estate agent. In the rush to get the loan closed and due to our total lack of knowledge regarding solar systems and the contracts that go with them, we requested the paperwork to complete the process. AT NO TIME did Vivint offer to provide us with a detailed overview and explanation of the contract terms for what I later learned was a "lease" not even a purchase. We blindly and hastily signed the necessary paperwork, something I regret deeply now and in hindsight AFTER finally getting a copy of the formal contract. When I read it I felt like the biggest sucker on the planet. It's a 20 year lease, the payments started at about $120 per month, but they increase every year by 3%. Do the math and see how much my power bill will be in 20 years...when I'm retired and living on a fixed income and the panels are less effective due to age. I take responsibility for not demanding more transparency on Vivint's part but I also feel Vivint had no interest in being proactive in letting me know what I was signing up for during a very hectic and busy time as we were closing on a home loan. In hindsight, I would never have signed those documents and likely not purchased the home. If I was going to get solar panels I would have done a purchase agreement, not a lease. I contacted Vivint after reading the lease agreement. I explained the situation. I acknowledged my fault in signing the agreement but also explaining that I felt I was misinformed and not given the information I needed to be informed until after the fact. The man on the phone was very curt and basically said too bad, but not in those words. I asked if it would be possible to change my contract to a purchase agreement rather than a lease. He put me on hold and when he came back he said I could purchase the agreement for $75,000. At that point I just hung up. My experience with Vivint has been less than satisfactory and my only interactions with personnel were not pleasant. Their lease agreements are not advantageous to the customer. You get none of the tax benefits. You can't participate in any of the government rebate programs and you don't get the benefit of selling your excess power production back to the grid. You're stuck with a payment that gradually increases every year for 20 years. I don't know what happens after that. A new roof I guess. I can not, in good conscience recommend Vivint for solar power. They have been sued by numerous states for deceptive sales practices by their door to door sales people and have settled most of them out of court so as to keep the details out of public view. But if you dig, you can find enough to dissuade you. I had hoped to at least have the opportunity to change my situation, knowing I am stuck in a contract with no recourse unless a class action suit is brought by other customers in the state of Utah. That's likely not going to happen because Vivint is a Utah company and I'm sure has many friends and allies up on the hill at the state capital. All I can do is share my honest frustrations in a review based on my own experience. I wish Vivint was more transparent and actually cared more about the customer. I'm sure they have some happy customers. Had I been treated differently and my situation handled better from the beginning I would be one too. I'll never know. I'm stuck in what appears to be a no-win situation.

Aug 13, 2019

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention, Doug. We are sorry to hear about your experience, we would be frustrated too! We would love to look further into your concerns and see how we can help you. Please send your address and review to . Thank you.

Lynn James

August 11th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA

Daniel the salesman was great! At first, my credit was just below the point of being eligible, so he hooked me up with a credit company to fix the errors on my credit, free of charge. Then he had my circuit box replaced with a brand new one, free of charge, then he had the solar panels installed. Everything went so smoothly and now I’m looking forward to a smaller electrical bill.

Aug 13, 2019

Hi Lynn, thanks for leaving us a review. We are thrilled to hear how helpful our sales representative was. Our goal is for going solar to be easy and enjoyable, and we are happy you had a positive experience. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar!

Bruce

August 8th, 2019 Chico, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My pg&e bills are next to nothing, but now I am paying Vivint the same as if I was paying the electric company, Vivint billed us $419.00 dollars for June afraid to see what the next bill will be,,,,,,it’s all Bs ......I just pay high monthly bills to them instead of PG&E...........AND ITS LOCKED INTO A STINKING 10;year contract..........crooks

Aug 13, 2019

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Bruce. While monthly savings will vary depending on your usage, we definitely want to look into this for you to make sure you're getting the full benefits. Please send your address and review to . P.S. did you know that your savings may fluctuate from season to season? Read more on our blog:

Charlene

August 7th, 2019 San Mateo, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been with Vivint 3 years. They are an acceptable company, but certainly not outstanding. We were misinformed @ the cost of permanent roof removal and also the time it takes to get the system up and running. Their customer service is frustrating, long wait times to talk to a rep., and we end up communicating by e-mail. It takes at least a day to receive a reply e-mail from Vivant, and every time we reply to them that's an additional day's time. We're trying to have our roofer communicate with Vivint and there is no direct # or specified person to call, access is only through the 877 #. Also, we're saving little money with solar and, looking back, it hasn't been worth the effort for us.

Aug 13, 2019

Hi Charlene, thank you for your feedback. Customer service is extremely important to us and we are sorry to hear that you have not had an outstanding experience with us. Please send your address and review to so that we can help you. Thanks.

Mario Arenas

August 7th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA

Everything was good, great and fast in one day.

Aug 13, 2019

Thank you for your review, Mario! We are so happy that you had a positive experience with our installation team and that they were very efficient. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar!

Lina P

August 6th, 2019 Land O' Lakes, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY!! They tell you so many lies just to get you to get their solar panels. One of their lies is that you are going to get 10K in tax return so our loan was done 10k less of the total amount. When we went to do our taxes our accountant told us that is a lie, because nobody gets a return, you only get that as a credit if you own the IRS that money. So please make your research, when we didn't pay the loan company the 10k they raised our payment from $180 to $265. Our electricity bill was $200 in average, actually I'm paying an average of $150 for electricity plus $265 fo solar panels. When our system was installed worked good for the first three or four months and then we lost communications and our electric bill went up. It hasn't came down since. We've had the solar panels for about a year a half and back in March our system stopped producing electricity for about 2 a half months. When I realized our system was down I called and it took them three weeks to come and fix it. Meanwhile I was paying up to $400 in electricity and still had to pay for the panels. I've been calling for the last three months trying to get compensated and the last I heard is that because we have a loan the DO NOT guarantee production. This is the only company that can't guarantee the service that you are paying for. They have the worst costumer service, the only people you can talk to are incompetent people that keep saying I can't do anything for you. They can't transfer you to anybody, they are filters to managers and supervisors as all they say is that there is nobody physical there with them and they don't have the authority to help them. They might as well just have answering machines.

Aug 07, 2019

We're so sorry to hear this, Lina. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. Please send your address and review to so that we can look further into your concerns. Thank you for reaching out.

Sandy

August 6th, 2019 Clayton, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Just found out our system has been offline since May of 2018. Yes - that's year 2018. With absolutely no notification from Vivent. Hit with exorbitant PG&E - NEM charges that I cannot get rectified. Asked for verification if actual production from panels ever really went into the grid -- No Vivent response. Re-requested email verification -- No Vivent response. Still waiting for a technician to come fix the problem. What a nightmare.

Aug 07, 2019

Thank you so much for letting us know, Sandy. We are sorry this was your experience, we would be frustrated too! Can you send us an email to with your address and review so we can help you out? Thanks!

Lonnie trudell

August 5th, 2019 Corona, CA

Dont go with this company,they're fraud! They put panels on our rental property without our consent, just by asking our tenet to sign for the work. Now they won't return any of our calls and put a lien on our property. Now seeking Legal action!

Aug 05, 2019

Hi Lonnie, thank you for reaching out. We are so sorry to hear about your frustrations but we would love to look further into them. Please send your address and review to . Thank you.

Paul

August 1st, 2019 Albuquerque, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The crew was on time, courteous and very good at their jobs. Very professional.

Aug 02, 2019

Thanks for your review, Paul! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part! We hope you continue to enjoy the benefits of clean energy for many years.

Juan

August 1st, 2019 Bakersfield, CA

Very organized , quick and did well on communication. Good on safety. Very polite.

Aug 02, 2019

Thanks for the feedback! We work hard to deliver the best solar experience possible. It helps that we have amazing customers like you. Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider! Keep up the good energy.

Janice Schmidt

July 30th, 2019 Merced, CA

Wow, so surprised their replies to reviews are so quick.....been waiting to operate over a year and half!!! With summer almost over they haven’t been helpful at all. All I get are excuses.....and that’s when I call because after the panels were installed they quit calling me! No updates period! I could never have a good Conscience if I were to refer them, but that’s NOT going to EVER happen.

Aug 01, 2019

Thank you for reaching out to us, Janice. We apologize that it's taken longer than expected—we'd be frustrated too! Although we do our best to keep the solar process moving forward, we do occasionally run into hiccups. Can you send us an email to with your account number so we can look more into this? Thanks!

Kyle Mauger

July 29th, 2019 Commerce City, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Once they get the sale expect hour waits and no communication. Zero customer service post sale and 100 commitment presale. When installing my system they even used an old used breaker during install. Won’t replace it or follow up. Terrible experience.

Jul 29, 2019

Thank you so much for letting us know, Kyle. We are sorry this was your experience, we would be frustrated too! Can you send us an email to with your account information so we can help you out? Thanks!

Rob Parsons

July 29th, 2019 Oakland, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am so happy I went solar! I chose Vivint because they were the first ones to explain all of the details to me! I got a free 1 hour consultation in my home covering every question I had. My average Electric Rate with PG&E was 24¢ and now I am paying 18¢ with Vivint Solar. They even upgraded my electrical panel on the outside of my house! All of this was NO COST to me, and now I have Solar Power for my home! I definitely recommend getting Solar, instead of going with PG&E increases to customers because of all the wildfire liabilities they have to pay for. If your roof is in good condition, go for it!

Jul 29, 2019

Thanks for your review, Rob! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Steven Chait

July 29th, 2019 Verona, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Started out rocky, I stepped in to put things in motion, called PSEG to get net meter. Then on going tech issues for several months. System not communicating with home office. Apparently they don’t monitor systems.

Jul 29, 2019

We're so sorry to hear about your experience, Steven. We completely understand your frustration! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable but sometimes we do make mistakes. Can you email us your address to so we can help resolve this for you? Thanks!

Joe

July 29th, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Don't sign a contract with them a leach will come to your house and tell you they will save you $$. Their customers service is clueless. As soon as my contract is up I will rip their panels off my self and buy my own panels.

Jul 29, 2019

We apologize for dropping the ball on your experience. Customer service is really important to us, but sometimes we make mistakes. We'd love to look into this for you. Please send us an email to with your account information so we can help you. Thank you for your patience!

Mike

July 25th, 2019 Lincoln, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We bought our solar in December of 2018. The salesman "Travis H" lied to us, He said that we would get reimbursed on all our PG and E electric bills from date of signing to day of operation (which was approx. five months). When I got ahold of him to let him know we were operational he said he "didn't know it would take so long for our system to be operational and could only honor 2 months of electricity bills from PG and E. I submitted my January and February bills to him for reimbursement and have never heard from him again. Also, we were promised vouchers to go on a cruise. We never got those either and when I inquired about the vouchers we were told that there were no more vouchers and we were just plain out of luck. These two items were offered as incentives to go with Vivint. It was all a big fat lie! I was hoping to see a big difference in our power bill. True, our PG and E bill is practically nothing about $14 dollars, but our Vivint bill is $305.00. Yes, that is still about 100 dollars less than this time last year with just PG and E. I was hoping for a bigger savings. Travis made us believe that our power bill from Vivint would be around $200. Between waiting forever to get up and running to being lied to about the incentives and not seeing a reduction of about 50% on our electricity bill I would have to say BUYER BEWARE! I was sooo skeptical about doing this. Vivint confirmed my fears and now we are married them for at least 20 years.

Jul 26, 2019

Hi Mike, we're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Please send your address and review to so that we can look into this. Thank you.

CN

July 16th, 2019 Fresno, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

AVOID VIVANT SOLAR!!!!!!!! This company is absolutely HORRIBLE and I have advised EVERYONE that I know to run!!! My whole experience has been completely beyond aggravating and I am sorry I ever started the process. From inspectors showing up without notification, no notification that the system was being installed, the system being put on standby for weeks with no one noticing until I drove to the local office, nothing but lip service and passing of the buck for the "customer service department" to absolutely no one having the ability to tell me why my app is not working nor how to fix it and being put on hold for an hour and a half. JUST DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!

Jul 16, 2019

Hi, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. We want to look into this further for you. Please send us an email with your address to . Thank you.

MQcapecod

July 12th, 2019 Hyannis, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Thiago stopped by a few months ago and discussed the solar options for us. He has been absolutely great to work with. He has been attentive and always responds and updates us! We tried to get solar before but didn’t qualify because of a few trees around our house. Thiago helped take care of trees and got us approved. The install went great, the guys did a good job. The process took longer but now that the system is up and running we are thrilled to be saving on our electric bills.

Jul 12, 2019

Hi, we love hearing that you've had a great experience with Thiago and that you are seeing the benefits of going solar. Thank you for your review.

Richard Wagner

July 11th, 2019 Vista, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had solar from Vivint for about 18 months. The first year was fine. and I have no complaints about the system. This year the whole thing fell apart from the billing point of view. I stated getting crazy bills in April which billed for solar production at three times what was possible. I went back though my bills and discovered that the bills for this year were totally unrelated to my solar production. I called customer service and the rep told me she understood and would fix it. Nothing happened. I called again a week later, and the rep told me that the bill was high because of daylight savings time which increased the amount of energy received from the sun. I kept getting messages from the Company to pay my bill but any attempt to respond the the messages resulted in dead ends. I finally wrote the the company president about the problem and have received no reply. Another bill came today and said that I owed them $234.00. At the current rate of under 17.5 cents per KWH, I should have produced over 1337 KWHs. The website says that I produced 444 KWH Which means that they charged me is 3 times the contracted rate. I have yet to have a person contact me with an explanation.

Jul 13, 2019

Hi Richard, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations with billing. We want to look into this for you. Please send us an email with your address to . Thank you.

Andrea

July 11th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Only been with Vivint for 3 months and completely disappointed. Would of been better to stay with PG&E. Was told how much money I would save and I am paying more to them then I did last year to PG&E. Save yourself some time and frustration and go somewhere else.

Jul 12, 2019

Hi Andrea, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. We want to look into this for you. Please send us an email to with your address. Thank you.

Wendi

July 10th, 2019 Covina, CA

Vivent is a great company! We had a great experience! Kyle is awesome and helped us through the whole process and answered every question!! We would totally recommend this company to anyone considering solar!! Everything was a lot easier than we ever thought possible!!

Jul 10, 2019

Hi Wendi, thank you for leaving us a review. We are happy to hear that Kyle was professional and helpful. We appreciate your recommendation. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar!

Dale

July 9th, 2019 Ojai, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

SELLING YOU STUFF is their ONLY GOAL. go someplace else. I have 40 panels from these CROOKS who PROMISED ME that a battery backup is COMING REAL SOON. well, it's here BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE ONE BECAUSE we only put it on NEW SYSTEMS. SO, when there is a power failure or earthquake, I have FORTY PANELS THAT ARE USELESS. Oh, and NO ONE BUT Vivint can touch the system BY CONTRACT so I can't even have an outside company come and fix their STUPIDITY.

Jul 09, 2019

Hi Dale, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. We would like to look into this further for you. Please send us an email with your address to . Thank you.

virginia lyons

July 8th, 2019 Springfield, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Panel installed September 2019, ten months ago. No explanation for the delay. No one answers the phone when you call, no one calls you back. I definitely recommend solar but not this terrible company. Find a reputable company. I wish I had

Jul 08, 2019

Hello Virginia, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send your address and review to so that we can look further into your concerns. Thank you for reaching out.

Kit Sensenbaugh

June 27th, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our electric bill with SDG&E was about $400 now we buy our electricity from Vivint and our bill has never been over $175. We have had no problems and never had to pay a single penny to have it installed. Now we sold our home and transferred the account with the new buyers, with no problems!

Jun 27, 2019

Hello Kit. We love hearing that you were seeing the benefits of solar and that the transition in selling the home was an easy one. Thank you for your review.

jun

June 25th, 2019 Chula Vista, CA

Salesman is very tricky! He used "veteran" word to attract, and come to doors and say he's not selling anything, I entertained him as he's a fellow veteran, and down the road, laid his program and as he laid his program, he was asking personal info like birth date, phone numbers and any info that you put when you apply for a loan. Take note he asked this questions in between discussions so its not very obvious that he was filling out the application for you and then he will ask you to sign and give your last four of SSN. Very tricky and unprofessional. Take note! he said he's not selling anything, but how come he filled out application for you. Luckily, I already picked up where he heading to so I ride long...beware for the tricky salesman out there!!!!

Jun 25, 2019

Hello, we are sorry to hear about your experience. Feel free to email us at with your address as well as the information for the sales representative. Thank you.

Toby Hampshire

June 21st, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good product, saves us money, prompt customer service.

Jun 12, 2019

Hi Tammy, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send us your address to so that we can look further into your concerns. Thank you for reaching out.

Dani D DelRosario

June 18th, 2019 Orland, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Several years ago (in my 70s) these unscrupulous people began their reign of terror on me. They put solar panels on my roof damaging it to the point where they had to remove them and after many months during the rainy season finally got around to fixing the roof. By then my walls were full of mold, the floors had to be replaced, roof on top and inside removed and replaced with considerable confusion and missed repair dates, etc. It was horrible and we had to move out with much of the furniture. On and on it went. I never received benefit of solar only destruction. Even though after all of the fighting, delays and falsehood were over and the panels were long gone back to their yards they sent maintenance men out to my home where I had no solar. Here we are years down the road and they've threatened me with legal action wanting well over $30,000 for the rest of my contract and periodically try to get monthly payments for my solar service as well. I'm 75 yrs old on Social Security and they are not entitled to any of it. Attorneys seem uninterested in my petty little problem. These vultures just persist. Any idea what I do now? I've looked for class action suits to join to no avail. I will be contacting the State Attorney General's Office Complaint Dept soon. As soon as I get the energy. Their contract indicated they had $300,000 liability coverage. Any ideas out there to help?

Jun 18, 2019

Hi Dani, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send us your address to so that we can look further into your concerns. Thank you for reaching out.

David

June 18th, 2019 Antioch, CA

I was contacted by a Vivant Solar repesentive, Brian S, and I was un sure about solar but he convinced me about solar. He explained solar to me and explained what Vivant can do, and I was happily surprised after it was installed and am enjoying the savings that solar will give you. I am happy that Brian S knocked on my door for the 3rd time and finally convinced me to go solar ..Thank you Vivant and thank you Brian S

Jun 18, 2019

Hi David, thank you for leaving us a review. We are pleased to hear that Brian was professional and that you have had a great experience with us. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar.

Anthony Lombardi

June 18th, 2019 California City, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Same Story...ripped off with the contract that you see "after the panels are installed" saying it's a 20 year contract when I specifically told them "NO CONTRACT", and was assured that was the case. Second, I just got a bill from both Edison and Vivant for over $150 from each for the month of June...My system is completely down, the breaker does nothing to turn it on, and of course VIVANT did nothing to Contact Us to let us know there was a problem?? WTF? Of course once I contact SCE who has 24 hour service, they tell me they have received no power for over a month?? Again WTF VIVANT? They have No Customer Service on Saturday?? System is Dead and no one to contact?? WTF again ViVANT…

Jun 18, 2019

Hi Anthony, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send us your address to so that we can look further into your concerns. Thank you for reaching out.

Deb Flemming

June 12th, 2019 South Weymouth, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I don’t know where to begin, except that every state that allows Vivint Solar to do business in their state should be ashamed of themselves. Vivint misrepresents itself and it’s service on so many levels, there isn’t enough room in this box to list them all. Maura H, the Massachusetts Attorney General, should be at the top of the list. I worked with the AG’s office and Vivint for more than two years without getting any answers. How many reviews on this page alone have received “I’m sorry” from Vivint and nothing more. These reviews more than speak for themselves.

Jun 12, 2019

Hi Deb, we are so sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send us your address to so that we can look further into these frustrations. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Chuck

June 7th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer support, there is none. Unable to make contact with a live person. Placed on hold to listen to the poor quality music. Twenty minutes later still listening to same poor quality music

Jun 07, 2019

Hi Chuck, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations and we would love to look further into them. Please send us an email to with your address. Thank you.

P Jones

June 5th, 2019 Rocklin, CA

We could not be happier with Duff D and Vivint Solar. Everyone we have dealt with has been very friendly, professional and easy to work with. We had no idea how simple it was to “go solar!”

Jun 06, 2019

Hi, thank you for leaving us a review. We are happy to hear Duff took great care of you and that our team has been professional. Thank you for going solar with us!

Brenda Joanne Reyes Ortiz

June 5th, 2019 Riverside, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivint Solar sales representative mislead, deceived, and lied over and over again about every important aspect of what the customer would receive, pay, and experience. Vivint knows exactly what it is doing. Hearing people's stories from different areas proves to me that they have a script, stick to it, and take people for their money. I’m disgusted that the state of California state attorney general allows this company to continue to lie and scam people the way it does without investigating and putting a stop to it. It’s a life-altering, detrimental physical and emotional experience that the customer is left to deal with on his or her own, without knowing who to turn to for help. Absolutely stay away from VIVINT and solar!!!! All digital correspondence= Vivint Lies so much and ‘knows’ people that don’t much use computers, or only have a smart phone will not read through 50 pages or so of anything. And they say it’s all ‘legalese’, nothing to worry about. LIARS! Free= $40,000 noose around your neck! Savings= paying more for your energy than you were! David M, the sales rep to 4 people on our street , lied to everyone!!! I’m sure Vivint gave him a raise. We are also close to needing a new roof, and david said ‘No problem, we do it all the time. We will take care of everything, no charge’ LIARS! I am wishing New Mexico State Attorney General, Hector B, ALL the force of the world in his lawsuit against Vivint. Vivint deserves -1,000 stars

Jun 04, 2019

Hi Brenda. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations. We want to look into this further, please send us an email to with your service address.

Jared mackoul

June 3rd, 2019 Island Park, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Their absolute liars and scam artists they tell you that you are helping out the grid and Wall have less than half of your Electric bill. This is an absolute lie they screw you into a 20 year contract and you pay for every kilowatt the solar panels produce not for what you use. I need out of my contract right away as they totally

Jun 04, 2019

Hi Jared, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. We want to look into this further for you. Please send us an email to with your address. Thank you.

Walter Garbie

May 31st, 2019 Toms River, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I seem to have the same problem as Patricia R. Was told no charge if panels have to be removed to put new roof on. Had the panels up by Jan 2017. Now I have leaks and need the panels removed and was told it would cost me $2440. One issue is one area of the panels is causing the leak but a Rep from Vivint came and said not the panels its the condition of the Roof. So why after only 2 years is my roof in poor condition. The panels should have not been installed and was certified by them to be in good shape at the time, which obviously is not the case. I have been on the phone with customer service, damage resolutions, my original salesman multiple times and everyone except the salesman is just telling me there is nothing they can do. And I have been bounced around between those two department without anyone helping other to say "sorry but that's all I can do", which basically is nothing. I asked to be transferred over to his supervisor and he said he can't do that. Wow, now that is unheard of. On top of that we had two vivint inspectors come here and one says its the panels and the other says its the roof. So they stick with the one that says not the panels. The leaks are getting worse and ruining my ceiling and floors which will be an additional cost to repair. This is the worst customer service dept I have ever incountered. I refuse to pay $2440 when in fact the panels were installed based on their advice.

Patricia Ritter

May 29th, 2019 Fallston, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I agreed to have Vivant Solar panels put on my roof in 2017 I informed the salesman that my roof was 20 years old and would need to be replaced. He told me that was not a problem when I was ready to replace my roof the panels would be removed and replaced free of charge. This spring 2019 I contracted to have my new roof put on. I then called Vivant solar and was told it would be a $4500.00 charge to have the solar panels removed and replaced. When I told the Vivant representative that I was going to contact my lawyer I was contacted the next day and told that they would remove and replace the panels for 450.00 I agreed. I was then told that they would not be able to schedule the removal and replacement to be done until the 3rd week in May their installation and removal team had quit . I then contacted them beginning of 4th week on May 21. I was on hold for 45 minutes cut off left on hold again for another 30 mins. Without being connected to the installation/removal dept. when I asked the Vivant Representative for a direct number he put me on hold again and then gave me the general Number that I had been calling. I have never received such poor customer service from a company and would not recommend Vivant Solar to any one.

May 29, 2019

Hi Patricia, we are so sorry to hear about your experience. It looks like you have been working with one of our representatives regarding your panel reinstall. We have your reinstallation scheduled for a week after your re-roof is completed. The representative will continue to work with you until the reinstallation is completed. We apologize that the representative does not have a direct line, but if you have additional concerns feel free to email us at

Bernard

May 24th, 2019 Pleasantville, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Solar panels installed in April 2018, took 5 months to connect. Vivint rep. came by last week to check system and told me only 1 panel working out of 38. Been trying to reach Vivint for about a week , no luck just long waits on the phone. Customer service is horrible when you need them. Maybe this will get your attention. Cannot afford to pay for services not rendered by Vivint

May 28, 2019

Hello Bernard, we are sorry to hear about your experience. Please send us an email to with your service address. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

John H

May 22nd, 2019 Plymouth, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible customer service. First signed in July 2018. Panels went up quickly, probably to get their government payoffs. Still waiting for the system to work. Had Vivint on my other house, was very happy. Do not know what happened to the company. Trued calling customer service line, put on hold forever.

May 22, 2019

Hi John. We apologize for the issues you may be experiencing with getting your system turned on. We'd be happy to follow up with the team to see what's going on if you can send us your account number or address to . Thanks.

rick stone

May 9th, 2019 West Yarmouth, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst company ever. They sold a bogus bill of goods to an 88 year old man, who passed away shortly after. We are selling the home, and have tried for a month to contact Vivant to cancel (as is our right), or even to find out about transferring service. Emails, unanswered phone calls, countless hours on hold and we are absolutely no further than when we started. We are now contacting the Attorney General. I am in real estate, so will make it a point to spread the word about Vivant. Never had problems with Solar City or any other companies for that matter.

May 09, 2019

Hi Rick. We're sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to have someone contact you to and help explain everything regarding transferring contracts and other options available. Please send us an email to and we can have someone contact you to help address your concerns and answer any questions you have. Thank you!

Debra Wilcox

May 8th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible company! Installed panels on a leaky roof. Said the roof was good for another couple of years, even though I pointed out yellow marks in the ceiling. The day the solar panels were put on, an installer went in the attic, and there was a big hole in the attic roof! Was charged in excess of $3k to have them removed for a new roof. Salesman said $1k. He, of course, denied this. Panels did not work properly. Was months before it was fixed. New configuration. Now I have an electric bill. Never did hefore, During re-installation a tile in a patio table got broke. The installer said he reported it. A tile close to the broken one cannot be found. So now Got have to buy a new table. Hold time is ridiculous, often exceeding an hour. Representatives use the proper, I'm sorry, etc. but appeared apologies do not pay the bills, nor ease my total frustration. The reps are clueless. I finally had a couple of conversations with an escalation rep, who just closed the ticket without resolving any issues, in fact, I did not even have the opportunity to discuss most if the issues with him. He just wanted this put it all back on us, accepting no responsibility for the company's errors. There are too many to list here. Next stop Better Business Bureau, since Vivint is useless!

May 09, 2019

Hi Debra. I am very sorry to hear about your experience. I show that you spoke with a specialist yesterday and that he is working with you to get your issues resolved. Please continue to reach out to him and we will do everything we can to help you out. Thank you!

Stephanie

May 6th, 2019 Henderson, NV

Customer service is horrible !!!!! I just installed my panels and I am already dealing with horrible customer service!!! I want these off and do not want to continue my business with this company!!!

May 08, 2019

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Stephanie. We want to help. Please send your address or account number to , so we can dig deeper into the issues you're experiencing. Thank you for leaving your feedback.

Maria Thomas

April 29th, 2019 Fresno, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I went solar with vivint in 2016 and love it. I would do it again. PGE charges too much for power and vivint’s Program makes it easy to go solar and save money. Both Vivint and our rep Forrest have been great to work with.

Apr 29, 2019

Hi Maria, we love hearing that Forrest took good care of you. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar as your solar provider.

STEVE BINION

April 29th, 2019 Long Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

WORST CO .TO DEAL WITH. ALL REPS AT THIS CO. LIE TO YOU AND GIVE YOU FALSE INFO.THEY GET PAID BY WHAT THE PANELS PRODUCE REGARDLESS IF YOU USE IT OR NOT. BE CAREFUL AND READ CONTRACT. THEY ARE NOT AN HONEST CO.

Apr 29, 2019

Hello Steve, we are sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send us an email to so we can look further into this. Thank you.

carl thomas mueller

April 25th, 2019 Webster, MA

1 year since roof panels installed still not connected , with no communication regarding system operation and contract ! carl mueller

Apr 29, 2019

Hi Carl. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations and want to look further into this for you. Please send us an email to with more information. Thank you.

Joyce Tucker

April 25th, 2019 Andover, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Just put solar on the house electric bill was costing too much money, now cut in half. Used Vivint Solar part of program that would give us a new roof if needed no cost to us! Process was very fast, we met Enos H in March and we are already installed! We had a historical home which had to be approved by our town board and he handled everything for us. Our home qualified to get a system at no cost at a rate much lower than we pay National Grid! If you are looking to take advantage of the free program, or even ownership programs in MA, Enos H is the guy to reach out to. We couldn’t be happier with him and Vivint Solar!

Apr 29, 2019

Hi Joyce, we love hearing that Enos took good care of you and that you are seeing the benefits of solar. Thank you for your review.

Kevin Roberts

April 15th, 2019 Brentwood, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We contacted them no door to door salesman.Vivint did the planing,permits and inspections.All without problems of delays.I would gladly recomend them! We also had no issues with anyone involved with our contract and received a bonus when the system went operational.The best part,our electric bills were cut in half,and with some of the highest rates in the country this was indeed a extremely big deal.This was excellent choice for us.

Apr 15, 2019

Hello Kevin. We are happy to hear that you've had a positive experience with us and that you are seeing the benefits of solar. Thank you for choosing Vivint Solar as your solar provider.

Matt Baker

April 9th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I could give them less than a 1 I would. My panels were installed on June 19th of 2018. As of today (April 8th 2019) I still do not have permission to operate my panels. Vivint tells me they are waiting on PG&E, but after 3 hours on the phone and numerous transfers through PG&E one of the supervisors tells me they still have not received the pictures from when Vivint installed the panels. Even worse, they don’t do anything to try to resolve the problem.

Apr 15, 2019

Hello Matt. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations. Please send us an email at with your address and we would love to look into this further for you. Thank you.

Timd529

April 9th, 2019 Langhorne, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The correct solar data isn't matching up to my utility bill. I understand that billing cycles are different, but when the utility reports 12 KwH and Vivint gloats about 310 KwH during the same time frame, somethings a miss. Looking over my bill I am charged $0.1323551/kWh. My utility charges me $0.13347/kWh (Generation, Distribution, and Transmission). Saving me a whopping $0.001115/KwH. That's $0.35 savings, if the 310KwH was properly reported. It's not worth it. It's a headache paying two bills every month. Since the correct solar data is not being reported i'm spending more than i would if i was strictly on the grid. I regret putting these things on my roof. Also, the sales rep was shady. He promised $500 in incentives, then the system wasn't big enough and i qualified for only $100. Haven't seen a cent in incentives.

Apr 15, 2019

Hello Tim. We appreciate you reaching out to us regarding your concerns. Please send us an email at with your address so we can look into this further for you. Thank you.