Suddenlink is a full service telecommunications company. They offer their customers entertainment and communication needs including internet, television, phone, and home security. Suddenlink services 1.5 million residential customers and has won many awards for their great reputation as a company who takes care of their customers and employees. They offer fast speeds with no contract and list availablity in fifteen states on their site.

#1 Comcast Xfinity Internet chevron_right
3.3
#2 CenturyLink chevron_right
2.5
#3 Cox Internet chevron_right
3.4

The Good

• Customizable Plans
  • Incredibly Quick Speeds
  • Other Services

Customizable Plans

Many people use the internet on a daily basis, but each customer has different needs when it comes to internet usage. For example, some people want the fastest download speeds available, regardless of price, while others prefer average speeds and a low, affordable price. Suddenlink's packages meet the varying needs of its customers through customizable service plans. Suddenlink customers can choose which services they want (internet, TV, phone, home security) and how much of each service they would like. This allows the customer to get exactly what they need at a price point that fits their budget.

Incredibly Quick Speeds

Suddenlink offers four speed options for their customers:

• 50 Mbps (download), 5 Mbps (upload)
  • 100 Mbps (download), 10 Mbps (upload)
  • 200 Mbps (download), 20 Mbps (upload)
  • 1 GB (download), 50 Mbps (upload)

Many internet providers offer download speeds that are within Suddenlink's first two tiers (50 Mbps and 100 Mbps), but there are very few providers that offer speeds up to 1 Gbps. This is an incredibly fast download speed and makes Suddenlink stand out in the industry.

Other Services

In addition to internet, Suddenlink also offers several other services including television, phone, and home security. Customers have the option to bundle these services and receive discounts. They may also choose to pay extra for additional cable channels and second line phone service.

The Bad

• Higher Than Average Prices
  • Data Limits

Higher-Than-Average Prices

Since Suddenlink allows its customers to customize their service plans, prices vary from customer to customer. Additionally, prices vary depending on location. Because of this, potential customers are not able to obtain a quote unless they provide a physical address. Suddenlink does advertise that its internet plans start at $34.99 per month. While this is not outrageously high, it is on the higher end for low-tier packages in the industry. There are several other providers that offer lower prices for similar speeds.

Data Limits

Suddenlink customers do have to keep an eye on how much data they use each month because the company has set data limits on each of its internet packages. Data caps for each package are as follows:

• 250 GB/month
  • 350 GB/month
  • 450 GB/month
  • 550 GB/month
  • Unlimited

If a customer goes over the data limit for their respective data plan, they will be required to pay an overage fee.

The Bottom Line

Suddenlink is a broadband internet provider that offers customizable service plans, quick download speeds, and a variety of other services. However, Suddenlink customers will be subject to data caps, higher-than-average prices, and are only available in nine states. We also like that they do not require contracts, and that they offer a variety of customer support options. If you live within Suddenlink's service area, we recommend taking a look at their customizable packages.

View Best Internet Service Companies

2.1

Leo Russ
August 22nd, 2019 Orofino, ID DETAILS

Slow speeds (up to 20mbs down), regular service interruptions, and then this: The outfit hiked the price of service without informing via email, phone, or snail mail about it, no statement has ever been sent to me either. Six months later, they disconnected service without warning and now want to charge late fees and re-connection fee. I requested that the account was cancelled on Aug 12, 2019, called back three days later (Aug 15) to verify but the account had not been cancelled, and there was nothing on the account about my request.

Nicole
August 13th, 2019 Jarrell, TX DETAILS

Suddenlink will raise the monthly bill without letting you know. At first they raised $3, which wasn't that big of a deal. And then they raised it $20.. I called and they refused to bring it back down. Their internet isn't that great and it has outages at least once every month. I work from home so it disrupts me every time.

Curtis
July 23rd, 2019 Cabot, AR DETAILS

Never show up for installation on the date and time THEY set up. Waited 4 hours but no one showed up. Never called me to reschedule, they rescheduled the date and time them self. I cancelled the order.

Lynn
July 19th, 2019 Sedona, AZ DETAILS

Overpriced with spotty service in Sedona AZ. Phone tree is extremely annoying and you can never get directly to the dept needed. Voice recognition can't even manage to recognize Yes and No most of the time. When quitting the service (moving), the account retention person INSISTED that we tell her where we were moving to. I said its personal and she continue to insist. I asked for a supervisor and she said she didn't have one. BS. And of course, you don't get any money back for unused service.

Cheryl Hobbs
April 10th, 2019 College Station, TX

If I could give them less than 1 star I would. This company takes advantage of their customers! Not only do they hold the college students in the area hostage, but they lie to their customers. Their service has always been the worst ever! It slows down, it goes out, and the company does nothing about it. As for billing, they overcharge (because they have a monopoly), they will not adjust your bill if they have an outrageous, and they add or change fess whenever they think they can. Do Not Use This Company! They were recently bought by a company out of New York Altice and will be changing their name soon.

Al
April 8th, 2019 Kimberling City, MO DETAILS

Extremely unreliable service and support is a joke. Went to pay my bill online but internet was down again (this happens several times per week) so I called customer service..... they offered to scedule an appointment a week out oh, and they would have to charge me a $10.00 “convenience fee” if I wanted to pay my bill by phone! Company does not care about quality at all, their tech actually said the infastructure is old and will continue to be unreliable until they upgrade which is not in the plans.

Tammy Diehl
March 22nd, 2019 Amarillo, TX DETAILS

I was called about free install when I upgraded to the 1gb plan from the 400mpbs that we were currently on so I went for it. The tech came out to install and even though I told him not to remove the splitter he said I did not need it and did not listen when I told him how horrible the service is without it. So he left and the net started dropping out speeds going from 100mbps to 500 after two weeks of fighting it a tech finally came to the house to fix it. Put the splitter back on and they were nice enough to charge me 60.00 for the fix. Do not let them do this to you! I would say half the techs there do not work for Suddenlink at all come from Lubbock and do not know what they are doing. Be very careful! I miss my AT&T Fiber so much I almost died when I heard they were coming here! I cannot wait to make that switch!

Betty Jason
March 13th, 2019 DETAILS

Suddenlink have been great. My experience with them was my internet service had stopped working so I called suddenlink and talked to someone about the problem. They told me what to do at home with my box after discovering it was nothing wrong on their end. I did what they told me on my box at home and the problem was fixed. The representative was friendly and knowledgeable about the problem and it was not a long wait to get someone on the phone. I don't see where they need to improve because I had an awesome experience with the representative. I would recommend suddenlink to whoever can receive them in their city.

Pltexas
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

They are very antiquated and nothing works.

Kevin Westbrook
December 1st, 2018 Greenville, NC DETAILS

They suck over priced Theifs. 100.00 a month for internet is outrageous. There customer service sucks and they dont care about customers.

TSMith
October 2nd, 2018 Pflugerville, TX DETAILS

I purchased a new home and Suddenlink Rep called to start a new wireless service for me at $49. I specifically asked if there was additional fees (i.e, taxes, surcharges, etc) and he said no. I received the bill and it was $63.33. I know that is not much but I didn't appreciate what was quoted me and what the actual bill was. I called customer service and didn't seem to care. After a year I moved with AT&T and just called customer service to cancel my service and April was a jerk ! They also do not 'prorate' their bill so I am paying for days I am not using ! Isn't that nice ! How convenient !

KATHRYN SPIERING
September 27th, 2018 Lubbock, TX DETAILS

Customer service is horrible and cancelled cable you can get Netflix and Hulu for alot cheaper then cable and alot more shows. So cancelled cable but kept internet and what happened after 4 years the first month i just had internet services i went over and they charged me 30.00. seem suspicious to me so never again cut internet and will never use suddenlink again

Friend
June 4th, 2018 DETAILS

Last time there was a problem they offered to fix it for a fee.

Scott Messina
May 2nd, 2018 Eureka, CA DETAILS

Suddenlink is far and above the fastest and most reliable internet service in the area.

Jeremiah Stillings
May 2nd, 2018 DETAILS

For the average user they are reliable and top notch Internet. For a web developer they limit what I can do in a home office. I can not setup a Dynamic Hosted Web Server. I can not host any type of FTP or IMAP server. In short, every port I want to use is rejected.

Brent
April 10th, 2018 Tyler, TX DETAILS

Service is good, but you have to have 200 meg service to not have a data limit.

Patricia A.
April 5th, 2018 DETAILS

Despite what they say the speed is, it is slow on down-loads, and often I get the message, "You have no internet connection" in the middle of a search.

Linda Horn
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

The service is good and reliable but it is very expensive

Ken Harrison
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

Can't talk to person ever, raised monthly bill for no reason.

Bill
February 26th, 2018 Amarillo, TX DETAILS

Great speed and reliability, would be 5 stars but prices are high

Pat Kussman
February 21st, 2018 Cottonwood, AZ DETAILS

Their phone answering system is frustrating and you can't get through to anyone live without jumping through hoops and then you may never get anyone.

DRTucker
February 5th, 2018 Enid, OK DETAILS

Service is good, but outage and slowdown occurs at times.

Brock jar
February 5th, 2018 Poca, WV DETAILS

Our service is in and out all day long. We are constantly needing to unplug and plug back in the modem.

Betty Diane Paz
January 30th, 2018 DETAILS

They continually raise rates while offering special low rates for new customers.

Chris I
January 30th, 2018 DETAILS

Rarely offline, fast speed and great customer support.

Thomas G. Birch
January 30th, 2018 DETAILS

Some times things just don't work, but we all have bad days. Prices go up fast, but service dosen't.

D Griffin
January 30th, 2018 DETAILS

We pay for the highest speed and it is great, but the company has poor customer service PLUS get tons of unwanted messages

James R. Whittiker
September 18th, 2017 Fruitvale, TX

Poor service and will try to make you pay even after cancellation of services. Customer Service is extremely slow and time consuming. I have experienced all these problems. I cannot recommend SL to anyone.

Kelli Coats
September 14th, 2017 Jacksonville, TX

When I first signed up with Sudden link, about 5 years ago, I had phone, internet and cable for right at $100 a month, Fast forward to 2017..... I have added nothing new, they have actually taken away several channels including Comedy Central & Nickelodeon ( everyone with kids can sympathize!), replaced them with talk radio and called it good( definitely as far from good as possible) bc of a dispute over price with Viacom. They are only looking out for the best interest of their customers , one person I talked to told me. Right, now if you could convince my daughter that a live radio show over sports or another that's completely in spanish is more entertaining than SpongeBob, I might could swallow that while I'm planting my magic beans. Adding insult to injury, my bill is now $154.00 because the cost of doing business goes up every year duhh explained the bored sounded customer service rep. Gosh don't I feel dumb for not understanding that now. True there is no contract and true customer service is always a live person you can understand, maybe ( probably) not going to be helpful but at least you don't have to go round and round with an automated computer but seriously if you have other options, skip Suddenlink. My family and I are extremely unhappy with the service, and the people in the office are the most unhappy looking people I've ever seen. Id find a new job if my place of employment made me look like I'd eaten a bowl of lemons everyday. Just sayin'

Jon
March 16th, 2017 College Station, TX

Terrible. The bill and service is always changing. A couple years ago it only cost 30 something a month for unlimited usage, now they put a cap on the GB used. So had to switch to the cheapest of unlimited. Now suddenly I'm being charged another dollar to receive my bill in the mail? Sorry greedy punks, but a stamp doesn't even cost that much.

Lin Vernier
June 22nd, 2016 Pflugerville, TX

The $39 is only for the first year. Actual pricing AFTER THE TEASER RATE is $52.44 a month and this is with me providing the modem and router. Tried to get a lower rate or slower speed; nope this is the cheapest available internet they offer.

BrandonG
June 15th, 2016 Batesville, AR

My business has internet service with Suddenlink. We were given an IP address that was already being used by another business. We wrapped much of our network around this IP, but had intermittent issues as would be expected. The tech that said to reach out if we had any issues, would not, and has not responded. My Rep has not responded. I can't go to the local office, because they don't deal with businesses. I reached out to their corporate headquarters, and they passed it on to a business billing manager, but he won't return my several messages. The corporate executive service team won't help. This has cost my business quite a bit of money in excess of $1500. Suddenlink seems to not have a care for their business customer on this. I have an IT company, and we deal with carriers all over the country. This is definitely the worst customer service I have dealt with.