BlueCross BlueShield Logo

BlueCross BlueShield

8.2

Health insurance helps you control your medical expenses by giving your access to negotiated rates and cost-sharing for your out-of-pocket costs. Choosing a trusted insurer is important.

BlueCross BlueShield is a renowned and well-known insurance provider. With BlueCross BlueShield, customers can have access to great member resources. Customers can also purchase dental and vision coverage.

View BlueCross BlueShield Reviews

BlueCross BlueShield is also a parent company of other health insurance companies that provide BlueCross BlueShield insurance in specific regions and states. BlueCross BlueShield companies include Anthem, CareFirst, Regence, Wellmark, Highmark, Capital, Empire, Independence, Horizon, and Premera.

It oversees 36 different insurance companies, all of which are locally operated. As a nationwide company in the health insurance marketplace, BlueCross BlueShield has helped millions of people with health insurance plans since its founding in 1929.

The Good

• Positive Customer Reviews
  • Health Plan Selection
  • Member Resources
  • Large Provider Network
  • Blue365 Rewards Program
  • Helpful Website and Customer Service
  • Availability and Acceptance

Positive Customer Reviews

BlueCross BlueSheild has earned many positive customer ratings and reviews on Best Company. These reviews mention satisfaction with claims, coverage, and customer service.

Issues with claims and coverage are common in the health insurance industry, so it's a good sign that BlueCross BlueSheild's positive reviews highlight satisfaction with these things.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Nathan from Broomfield, Colorado

"I have always been impressed with the quality and quantity of coverage I have gotten from Blue Cross Blue Shield. They have helped me get through some very trying times and pay for my medication!"

Health Plan Selection

BlueCross BlueShield insurance plans are available nationwide and widely accepted at hospitals and doctor's offices.

Coverage options range in many types — from a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) to Health Maintenance Organization (HMO). These plan-types indicate the kind of provider network available with the health plan. PPO plans generally offer coverage for seeing out-of-network providers, though the coverage levels are not as high as for in-network providers. HMO plans only offer out-of-network coverage in emergency situations.

BlueCross BlueShield also offers plans with Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRAs), and Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs). BlueCross BlueShield also offers indemnity, Point of Service (POS), and short-term health insurance plan options.

The coverage and details of each medical policy varies. The costs depend partially on your health situation (including age, number of group being insured, health status, etc.) and your location. When you initially search for a health plan to understand the benefits and costs of monthly payments, expect to put in your location and some personal information, as these points will help BlueCross BlueShield draw up a list of potential plans for you.

BlueCross BlueShield also offers Medicare and Medicaid plans. Its Medicare plans include Medicare Supplement insurance (Medigap), Part D (prescription drug plans), and Medicare Advantage plans.

A Medicare Advantage plan covers the same medical care as Original Medicare (Medicare Part B and Part A) in a single health plan. Most also include qualifying prescription drug coverage, which means you don't have to buy additional medical policies. Check your plan's drug formulary to understand what prescription drugs are covered. Medicare Advantage plans are also called Medicare Part C.

Medigap plans can be purchased to help pay for Original Medicare out-of-pocket costs (copayment and coinsurance). To qualify for Medicare benefits, individuals generally must be at least 65 years old.

In addition to health care coverage options, the some BlueCross BlueShield Plan offerings include dental insurance plans and vision insurance. Dental plans and vision plans may also vary by location, so it's important to work with the subsidiary in your area to get specific information. Those looking for vision or dental coverage can find good policies through BlueCross BlueShield.

As you evaluate your health insurance options, keep your health needs and budget in mind. The amount you pay for a health plan is not limited to the monthly premiums. In addition to considering the cost of premiums, you should also consider how expensive the out-of-pocket expenses will be. Sometimes paying a higher premium will mean having cheaper out-of-pocket expenses (copays and coinsurance) or lower out-of-pocket maximums.

Member Resources

BlueCross BlueShield keeps up its positive reputation with members with both basic and advanced tools. Some of these tools are specific to each of its subsidiaries, and include customer service numbers and mobile apps.

Large Provider Network

BlueCross BlueShield's network of doctors and specialists is gigantic. BlueCross BlueShield insurance is accepted all over the United States. Because of the wide acceptance, it should be easy to find a network provider. Treatment and other medical services you receive from these providers will be covered in part by this company.

Blue365 Rewards Program

Another unique feature of the Blue365 program. Through Blue365, members can receive discounts on all sorts of health-related products and services. Some discounts and deals change from time to time. Blue365 saves you money and provides added motivation for you to get and stay healthy. Not every BlueCross BlueShield subsidiary may participate in Blue365, so check with your subsidiary to see if it does.

Helpful Website and Customer Service

The BlueCross BlueShield website offers general information on its website and makes it easy to find your local BlueCross BlueShield subsidiary. You can search for plans and get a quote, narrowing your search by location and the type of plan you're looking for.

BlueCross BlueShield answers frequently asked questions, have social media outlets to connect with clients more personally, and of course, provide mailing information for when you need to mail in a form or contact them via snail mail.

In short, BlueCross BlueShield takes lots of different steps to meet the needs of customers all over the US. It is available 24/7 to members and has set up its customer service tools to be convenient, immediate, and of course, helpful-even in the details.

Availability and Acceptance

BlueCross BlueShield is available in all 50 states, and is widely accepted by doctors and hospitals. Specific health care provider network access, however, does depend on the individual health plan.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Rathan Kumar from Trabuco Canyon, CA

"I had blue cross blue shield for 3 years when I was with my old job. They had a lot of providers in my area that worked great."

Get Quote

The Bad

State-Specific Coverage

For better or worse, the coverage you receive through your health plan depends partially on the state you live in (the state in which you would use that insurance). In other words, you can't just look up a PPO plan at BlueCross BlueShield and expect the same coverage percentages, out-of-pocket costs, and deductibles for any state. The BlueCross BlueShield website will direct you to the company that serves your area before you can get information on plan options.

The Bottom Line

In many ways, it's not surprising that there are inconsistencies in health insurance plan details at BlueCross BlueShield. After all, the health insurer is large and works though several subsidiaries. It provides coverage nationwide, and has an extensive history and reputation.

Its growth has brought both positive and negative consequences. For example, it's positive that BlueCross BlueShield is accepted at such a high percentages of hospitals, doctors, and urgent care centers because it is a well-known brand in the health insurance marketplace. But on the other hand, the office you work with locally could be one of those with a poor reputation since BlueCross BlueShield doesn't micromanage each subsidiary.

It's important to make sure any health plan you choose offers the medical coverage you need and is affordable. The best insurance plan for someone else may not necessarily be the best fit for your situation. Be sure to understand your health needs and what would fit into your budget. Choosing a reliable health insurer is also important. Reading health insurance reviews from customers can give you a sense of the general quality BlueCross BlueShield offers.

Long story short, BlueCross BlueShield is still a recommended insurance company. There are some regional differences with BlueCross BlueShield companies, so interested people should work with the insurer directly to learn more about coverage, benefits, premium rates, deductible, and out-of-pocket limit available with each health plan.

Call our recommended rep over at BlueCross BlueShield below.

3.8

tonya M Spring, TX

BCBS used to be pretty good but the last couple of years have gone way down hill. I have been trying for over 6 months to get 1 issue resolved but each person I talk to has a different answer, talks in circles, passes to someone else, etc. If you call, you'll be on the phone for hours & if you email, you are lucky if someone responds in 1 week. But even then, you get a long scripted response that doesn't answer your question(s). You might get someone who knows what they are doing about every 6 mo. to a year if you are lucky. Extremely disappointed in how this company has deteriorated & wonder how much of it is deliberate to keep money in their pockets instead of providing decent health coverage. I'd give a negative rating if I could.

Child of the Queen Washington, DC

I have been trying to get through to a CSR for over 3hrs. to no avail. The hold time is over an hour! I stepped away and came back to call again.. was on hold 30mins for someone to disconnect the call w/o ever saying hello! How is this acceptable? I can see why people are thinking differently of this insurance lately! Also BCBS direct website is almost ALWAYS down! Why is the hold time sooo long??!

Lily Britton Browns Mills, NJ

for the love of god, go anywhere but here. Three months and there is a different explanation every time I call. No one will help you when you need it, no complaint number, nothing. I pay the premiums, only get a small percentage back and then have to fight three months with every excuse in the world why they cant give me my money back.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

I used BlueCross BlueShield with the last company I worked with. They had reasonable rates and good coverage. I always had good service from them and no problems paying any medical bills covered by the policy.

jingqi lei Rockville, MD

I have been using the health insurance here for a very long time. The customer service is of high quality, but the premium fee for every two weeks has more than doubled, from less than $100 back in 2007 to more than $200 now :(

Lisa C Johnson Windsor Mill, MD

I had this plan for a long time before my company changed over. I was happy with BlueCross Blue shield and never had any major issues. Most providers take this plan.

Jun Chen Rockville, MD

We have health Insurance for BlueCross BlueShield for more than twenty years. It gives us good benefit and good services. It covers all we need. It also has very good custom services. Good price and good insurance.

Tesla Denise ,

I had alot of issues with my plan and policy and lucky I got Celestina for my agent when I called in with my problem. She was so present and so helpful, Everytime she put me on hold even if they had not got back to her with the answer she needed she made sure I was not on hold listening to that God awful music over a min or two at the least. Celestina keep me updated at every turn and gave me options on how to get my problems fixed. The company itself pre approved me for two doctors after the 6th session they then wanted to tell me that it wasn't in my plan to go to that therpist after now I have created that relationship and that bond and can't and refuse to start over with a new therpist. Shout out to Celestine for making a bad situation better with her upbeat attitude and pacients ears listening to my story and problems as I cried lol. You are amazing and to good for a company that messed with people's lives.

Bethany Rockville, MD

I have been using BlueCross and BlueShield for the past 20 years. The overall experience is fine. However, the monthly premium is almost doubled.

Steven Klaproth Phoenix, AZ

They have excellent service and products and coverage. We had our first child with their service.

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

I am not a big fan of any insurance companies. BlieCross BlueShield is just “okay.” I feel that every time I have had to use my card, it’s just a long, drawn out process. The process of deductibles is very inconvenient and customer service seems like days when I have to call for a question to be answered.

Sam Busch ,

They have a great website- I could check status of claims, look up Explanation of Benefits documents, and send/receive secure messages.

Paul Anderson West Valley City, UT

I have patients from all different types of insurances come to my practice. Hands down BC/BS has the best customer service. They always answer their clients question and get back with them sooner then every other insurance I know

Viki Bradshaw Sandy, UT

They have reputable Doctors and HospitL tu hat give excellent care. We have always been treated with respect and kindness!

Omara Obas Tallahassee, FL

This insurance treated me well when I had it. I was able to go see my doctors and pay a good amount of price for it.

Terrence myster ,

I what to that Kim who was my member service representative. She really went all out to help assure me that my MRI was covered in network and even called the place were I had a schedule appointment this afternoon. Thank you 😊 for your dedication. I wish you the very best in whatever you do because you have my vote👍

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

A good solid insurance company that is accepted most places which is nice as you get older.

Sheri Wiggins Upper Marlboro, MD

I always get great customer service from BCBS on any medical and billing concerns.

Karli American Fork, UT

This company was overall good, but I did have a few issues when trying to pay for bills and get information from them. Their response times weren’t amazing but in the end I was able to get the help I needed.

Tamra Ashby Salt Lake City, UT

Great coverage. Profesional customer service. Easy to work with. Great experience

Mary Johnson Flower Mound, TX

I appreciate the user-friendliness of their website and how clear communication is from them.

Jason Burt Riverton, UT

Very expensive compared to health insurance company that my employer used. Have also had some issues with the company's practices: telling us we need physical therapy before surgery that the doctor did not say was needed, and telling us that therapists at our local hospital were not covered by our insurance, only to find out later that they were.

Becky Gilbert, AZ

Way too expensive. I found myself paying cash for some services even though I was paying bcbs every month. Unfortunately, most all insurance companies are a problem these days.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

The health insurance that I have received from BCBS is through an employer. Their health coverage covers a great deal more than other insurance companies I have used in the past, they are accepted many places, and somewhat easy to get in touch with should a situation arise. I have had some run-ins where I was charged more than I was supposed to be and it took a while to resolve with BCBS but it did get worked out.

Katrina Breithaupt Provo, UT

I've had BlueCross BlueShield coverage for as long as I can remember. Overall they are a great company and have been a joy to work with. They are very prompt in their claim processing and have an easy online patient portal so I have easy access to my bills, claims, and insurance policy information. I have also called their customer service for general information questions and have always found everyone to be EXTREMELY kind and helpful, going out of their way to help me find the best care and get the best service. They have been absolutely amazing to work with!

Jen Burt Herriman, UT

My review is of BlueCross Blue Shield of Idaho. I tried to receive information on whether a provider was covered and after several hours on the phone the told me he wasn't. I found out later that he was covered.

Lizzie Billings West Valley City, UT

Great customer service and great plans. My needs were always met. I loved this insurance company.

Andrew Peterson Brigham City, UT

We have had BlueCross BlueShield for over 10 years and there coverage is wide ranging when it comes to providers.

Sierrarose Nelson Chicago, IL

Very poor don’t recommend them if you have frequent infections an they wanna charge you a lot of money that You don’t have!

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

BlueCross is an incredible insurance provider. The coverage state to state was amazing, which alway gave a sigh relief when traveling. The plan we were on was amazing and covered so much especially when we had our daughter.

Jared Provo, UT

I've called a time or two on the phone, and they've always gone out of their way to help me!

Mike Curtis Guyton, GA

Generally my experience has been OK. However, I recently had lab work done and when the lab submitted the bill to the insurance administrator it was rejected as out of network and not paid. The problem: I called BCBS to find an in-network lab and used the one they identified

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

We currently use Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. I am very satisfied with this company for many reasons. I find that most of the doctors offices, radiology departments and laboratories that I go to accept this insurance which makes it very easy to pay for my medical services. I have called their customer service line and they have been very helpful to go over my plan detailing which services are covered and which are not. I am also very impressed with the ability. of this company to pay for medical services outside the state of Arizona. For instance I have used this company to pay for medical services in both Utah and Oregon. As a doctor, I find this company very fair in paying for patient's medical services. Overall I would rate them as outstanding.

Cindy H Gilbert, AZ

We have had this insurance for a few years and are very pleased. Good customer service when you need it. Works well even for my college children out of state.

pola Avramis New York, NY

Customer service is awful. Got an out of network operation. Was told after $1800 dollar deductible they would cover 60 percent. Recieved bill there were many costs they didn't cover for one reason or another. I explained you record all conversations go back and listen. They had an excuse for everything. Disgusted, sleezy company. With the experience I had find it awkward so many 5 star reviews. Makes you wonder where the reviews are coming from.

Tommy McCarlie Chicago, IL

I live in Chicago and their presence here is punctuated by the shiny building near Millenium Park. Sometimes bigger is better. My health insurance comes through them and I've always been satisfied with the service and product as they are accepted almost everywhere here.

Cleaveland Smith Columbia, MD

They barely cover most in network services and require you to pay an arm and a leg for copay.

Kyle Bucher Fishers, IN

The interaction this insurance has with your local healthcare providers is hard to beat. They'll be in front of each exchange, and provide you with all of the information you could possibly want. Their coverage is fair and wide, so it'd be difficult to find a better insurance carrier.

P. Thompson Long Beach, CA

Great customer service. Will recommend this company to anyone I know. Never had any issues.

James Centreville, VA

Excellent service they had provided to us. we are really love them how they work

Tinsley New Orleans, LA

What can I say I love blue cross it provide great Heath care service in my opinion. I have never been more happy with an insight company.

Art Houston, TX

Good second policy for Medicare. Easy to use and accepted by most doctors and hospitals. Get to go to what ever doctor or hospital I choose

Mohsen Kamarei Roselle, IL

They cover my prescriptions at 100%. Great customer service and benefits are great.

J. Dillon Elk Grove, CA

I have been with Anthem Blue Cross for many years and have had nothing but the highest quality service, with quick referrals to specialty medical professionals whenever needed for health concerns.

Faith Carver Española, NM

I have not had many issues with the company. I have found it is difficult to switch between account types, however.

JasonG Crossett, AR

Good insurance company. Really easy to work with and makes sure any problems are resolved. Would recommend.

TPat Cottage Grove, OR

I have been with this company over 20 years. It started when I was working. until then I had no problem with them other than the fact they tried to give me a hard time about a medical condition. that was caused by my job. The problem is now, they have become secondary telling me Medicare is now Primary. so I am paying the same rate I always have, and they want Medicare to pay for my treatments? This is unfair to me.

Michael Stewart Atlanta, GA

Easiest and most affordable health insurance available. Claims are settled promptly and efficiently

Anna Castaneda West Covina, CA

I have been with Blue Shield for 2 years, this enrollment period will be my 3rd year. I am pleased with their Customer Service Rep’s whenever I call in for assistance as for my medical needs they have been meet to my satisfaction.

Yasemim Vienna, VA

I have been talking with Mary almost 1 hour, she is working at pharmacy department, I really would love say her “thank you so much” She call each pharmacy to make sure that my insurance cover medication and not pay it. She is amazing!