Health insurance helps you control your medical expenses by giving your access to negotiated rates and cost-sharing for your out-of-pocket costs. Choosing a trusted insurer is important.

BlueCross BlueShield is a renowned and well-known insurance provider. With BlueCross BlueShield, customers can have access to great member resources. Customers can also purchase dental and vision coverage.

View BlueCross BlueShield Reviews

BlueCross BlueShield is also a parent company of other health insurance companies that provide BlueCross BlueShield insurance in specific regions and states. BlueCross BlueShield companies include Anthem, CareFirst, Regence, Wellmark, Highmark, Capital, Empire, Independence, Horizon, and Premera.

It oversees 36 different insurance companies, all of which are locally operated. As a nationwide company in the health insurance marketplace, BlueCross BlueShield has helped millions of people with health insurance plans since its founding in 1929.

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service
  • Availability and Acceptance

Types of Plans Offered

BlueCross BlueShield insurance plans are available nationwide and widely accepted at hospitals and doctor's offices.

Coverage options range in many types — from a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) to Health Maintenance Organization (HMO). These plan-types indicate the kind of provider network available with the health plan. PPO plans generally offer coverage for seeing out-of-network providers, though the coverage levels are not as high as for in-network providers. HMO plans only offer out-of-network coverage in emergency situations.

BlueCross BlueShield also offers plans with Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRAs), and Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs). BlueCross BlueShield also offers indemnity, Point of Service (POS), and short-term health insurance plan options.

The coverage and details of each medical policy varies. The costs depend partially on your health situation (including age, number of group being insured, health status, etc.) and your location. When you initially search for a health plan to understand the benefits and costs of monthly payments, expect to put in your location and some personal information, as these points will help BlueCross BlueShield draw up a list of potential plans for you.

BlueCross BlueShield also offers Medicare and Medicaid plans. Its Medicare plans include Medicare Supplement insurance (Medigap), Part D (prescription drug plans), and Medicare Advantage plans.

A Medicare Advantage plan covers the same medical care as Original Medicare (Medicare Part B and Part A) in a single health plan. Most also include qualifying prescription drug coverage, which means you don't have to buy additional medical policies. Check your plan's drug formulary to understand what prescription drugs are covered. Medicare Advantage plans are also called Medicare Part C.

Medigap plans can be purchased to help pay for Original Medicare out-of-pocket costs (copayment and coinsurance). To qualify for Medicare benefits, individuals generally must be at least 65 years old.

In addition to health care coverage options, the some BlueCross BlueShield Plan offerings include dental insurance plans and vision insurance. Dental plans and vision plans may also vary by location, so it's important to work with the subsidiary in your area to get specific information. Those looking for vision or dental coverage can find good policies through BlueCross BlueShield.

As you evaluate your health insurance options, keep your health needs and budget in mind. The amount you pay for a health plan is not limited to the monthly premiums. In addition to considering the cost of premiums, you should also consider how expensive the out-of-pocket expenses will be. Sometimes paying a higher premium will mean having cheaper out-of-pocket expenses (copays and coinsurance) or lower out-of-pocket maximums.

Member Resources

BlueCross BlueShield keeps up its positive reputation with members with both basic and advanced tools. Some of these tools are specific to each of its subsidiaries, and include customer service numbers and mobile apps.

Unique Features

BlueCross BlueShield's network of doctors and specialists is gigantic. BlueCross BlueShield insurance is accepted all over the United States. Because of the wide acceptance, it should be easy to find a network provider. Treatment and other medical services you receive from these providers will be covered in part by this company.

Another unique feature of the Blue365 program. Through Blue365, members can receive discounts on all sorts of health-related products and services. Some discounts and deals change from time to time. Blue365 saves you money and provides added motivation for you to get and stay healthy. Not every BlueCross BlueShield subsidiary may participate in Blue365, so check with your subsidiary to see if it does.

The BlueCross BlueShield website is extremely detailed and full of resources for members and potential customers alike. For anyone who would benefit from it, it has general information about health care, insurance, terminology, legal changes, and how all these factors affect people who need health insurance.

More specifically, though, through the website you can find answers to questions about actual health plans offered by BlueCross BlueShield. You can search for plans and get a quote, narrowing your search by location and the type of plan you're looking for.

BlueCross BlueShield answers frequently asked questions, have social media outlets to connect with clients more personally, and of course, provide mailing information for when you need to mail in a form or contact them via snail mail.

In short, BlueCross BlueShield takes lots of different steps to meet the needs of customers all over the US. It is available 24/7 to members and has set up its customer service tools to be convenient, immediate, and of course, helpful-even in the details.

Availability and Acceptance

BlueCross BlueShield is available in all 50 states, and is widely accepted by doctors and hospitals. Specific health care provider network access, however, does depend on the individual health plan.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Rathan Kumar from Trabuco Canyon, CA

"I had blue cross blue shield for 3 years when I was with my old job. They had a lot of providers in my area that worked great."

Get Quote

The Bad

State-Specific Coverage

For better or worse, the coverage you receive through your health plan depends partially on the state you live in (the state in which you would use that insurance). In other words, you can't just look up a PPO plan at BlueCross BlueShield and expect the same coverage percentages, out-of-pocket costs, and deductibles for any state. The BlueCross BlueShield website will direct you to the company that serves your area before you can get information on plan options.

The Bottom Line

In many ways, it's not surprising that there are inconsistencies in health insurance plan details at BlueCross BlueShield. After all, the health insurer is large and works though several subsidiaries. It provides coverage nationwide, and has an extensive history and reputation.

Its growth has brought both positive and negative consequences. For example, it's positive that BlueCross BlueShield is accepted at such a high percentages of hospitals, doctors, and urgent care centers because it is a well-known brand in the health insurance marketplace. But on the other hand, the office you work with locally could be one of those with a poor reputation since BlueCross BlueShield doesn't micromanage each subsidiary.

It's important to make sure any health plan you choose offers the medical coverage you need and is affordable. The best insurance plan for someone else may not necessarily be the best fit for your situation. Be sure to understand your health needs and what would fit into your budget. Choosing a reliable health insurer is also important. Reading health insurance reviews from customers can give you a sense of the general quality BlueCross BlueShield offers.

Long story short, BlueCross BlueShield is still a recommended insurance company. There are some regional differences with BlueCross BlueShield companies, so interested people should work with the insurer directly to learn more about coverage, benefits, premium rates, deductible, and out-of-pocket limit available with each health plan.

Call our recommended rep over at BlueCross BlueShield below.

3.7

Marlon

August 13th, 2020 Florissant, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service and very friendly and excellent service and very knowledgeable

Lymarie Lebron

August 10th, 2020 Arlington, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It is not affordable for a single mother as me, with only one salary. The deductible are very expensive. Unfortunately, it is the insurance provide for my company. And I need a health insurance because I have health conditions and I take medications every day. So, I am scare that I can't be able of receive a good treatment without an insurance. I have to recognize that it take some advantage: you have a long list of doctors and specialists with this plan and you don't need authorization of the plan to go with a specialist and to make laboratories or procedures as endoscopy, etc.

Yvette

August 5th, 2020 Birmingham, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had BC/BS before I changed jobs and I loved the service. The choices of physicians that you and choose from is great!!!

Judy Butterfield

August 2nd, 2020 Chattanooga, TN

Its been about 15 years but they were my primary insurance and were SO expensive. Was actually glad to be old enough to get on Medicare.

Richard Baker

July 31st, 2020 Las Cruces, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

long time customer 50 + yrs caring easy to communicate with if necessary. My Medicare supplement through former employer.

Ladyjojo

July 30th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like Blue Cross Blue Shield becasue they provide great coverage. Most doctors accept this insurance. They have different plans to choose from and they give you options to choose from when paying.

Nicole Balvanz

July 30th, 2020 Iowa Falls, IA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Pretty good and renowned health insurance company. I like having them for my insurance.

Della R.Quinn Coleman

July 29th, 2020 Plainfield, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been with BCBS for years. I feel safe with my health plan. Peace of mind... Is good for your health.

Amanda Malega

July 29th, 2020 Oklahoma City, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have BlueCross and Blueshield of Arkansas through my work. I pay almost $500 a month and the out of pocket deductible is $7500 which is 1/3 of what I make per year. I had to be taken to the emergency room early in my pregnancy in 2019 and wound up loosing the baby and my insurance didn't pay any of the bill. The hospital did give me a discounted rate since I had insurance though. I just don't understand why I have to pay them so much every month and they still charge me so much on top of that.

July 29th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great to work with. I get quick answers when I call with a question.

John Banks

July 29th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like the experience that I have had with the exception that if you misplace your prescription card its a little hard to get CVS to fill you prescription.

Rod Kite

July 29th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have never been declined any service. My copays are among the lowest in health care.

Charlie

July 29th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Extremely Easy to communicate with and has many providers in their network.

Catherine H Head-Kirkley

July 29th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I think their services are comprehensive

George Lozier

July 29th, 2020 Puyallup, WA

I've had BCBS for many years through Boeing and have had great service. My deductible is high but that's the way it goes.

NG

July 29th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really liked my plan, I was really mad when the "affordable" care act forced BCBS to discontinue the one I was on. My only complaints are related to the online explanation of benefits. I was mislead about how long online explanations of benefits are available, I was told 6 years but really it is/was 18 months. Also, when I got emails that a new explanations of benefits was available I had no way of knowing which one it was since the email had no date reference nor was there a "published date" or something like that online.

Ajay Patel

July 28th, 2020 Southlake, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very easy to look online at your claims . Haven't has any issues so far. Lots of providers accept this insurance.

Vantresa Scott

July 26th, 2020 Annapolis, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been with BCBS for most of my life. They have been great. I started when I was 26 years old and I am now 57. Their physician network is terrific and plans are great and I have never had a problem with them covering my expenses. NEVER EVER. I started my own company 5 years ago and we only offer BCBS plans because of the exceptional quality. Their national and international coverage is top notch.

Laura Hicks

July 24th, 2020 Cuba, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have Anthem BCBS through work for our family's health insurance. I have found that the plan we have with them is above standard and rarely (if ever) have a claim denied. I have a lot of kids and someone is always sick so I rely heavily on the fact that my insurance will have my back when I need it. Their statements are a little confusing at times, but again, I have a lot of children so there is often a lot of information to process. Most of my insurance plan is paid by my company, but I pay a portion for my family. No one likes to pay for health insurance...it's expensive no matter who you go through. I could not afford this plan on my own so I'm grateful to my company that they pay the bulk of it. I wouldn't give any insurance company 5 stars for value because I really think it is way too expensive overall. Their customer service is usually pretty easy to deal with when I have to call on a claim. It is a company that is well known and I feel confident knowing I have them when I need them.

DARLENE KERESTER

July 23rd, 2020 Youngstown, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So far no problem there no dazzle with them paying the bills. They let you know if something wrong

MARIE-NOELLE MARQUIS

July 22nd, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Well...it’s an insurance company so we set the bar low but, I’m grateful I have been able to keep my plans which they grand fathered in after all those years. I’ve only had one major surgery and BlueShield did take forever to pay the hospital (like over a year) but otherwise they have been easy to deal with when it comes to other basic payments. Their customer service is hit and miss. If you get someone who is giving you the run around, try calling back, you might get someone excellent right after.

BrooklynWriter

July 21st, 2020 Brooklyn, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

As a long-time customer of BlueCross BlueShield, I've had multiple interactions. The upside is that the network is extensive, especially on a PPO plan. The downside [and maybe this is managed by CVS Caremark] is that it's been so hard to get approval for certain drugs -- especially related to cancer.

The Halls

July 21st, 2020 Hanover, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Even though I am a disabled veteran and get some of my health care through VA, my family have been using BlueCross BlueShield for many years. We've never had an issue as every doctor's office takes the coverage. I definitely see my family continuing use of BlueCross BlueShield.

Clif Dennis

July 21st, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My wife & I never spend a dime at a hospital or doctor. No co-pays.

JoAnn Anderson

July 21st, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

good but rates keep going up too much eaach year

July 21st, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

coverage is poor and inconsistent. also has many conditions to ensure that they never payout appropriately

Elaine

July 21st, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Blue Shield has been an excellent health care provider. I have been with them since about 1986 and have never had a claim denied. I have had both an individual plan, and,now, a Medicare supplement. Their network of doctors, hospitals, etc is fantastic.

Larry Apfel

July 21st, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Major medical is good. Dental sucks and vision non-existent.

James Shelton

July 21st, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent customer service, quick response.

Ryan

July 19th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had Bluecross for several years now and they have really stepped up their game with their mobile app. The fact that they have a doctor on demand in their app is great. I used them a couple of months back when i was traveling in Miami, i was sick as a dog. I was able to video conference with a doctor for free, they called in the antibiotics to a pharmacy close to the hotel and it was a seamless experience. I was pleasantly surprised as i didn't think of a health insurance company to have a great mobile app but they really do.

Dali

July 18th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the gold standard of insurance companies. You pay a premium price m, but you are comfortable you are going to be covered and that they will stick to their terms.

McMorgan Thomptos

July 17th, 2020 Kailua, HI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used the chat function online to get an answer to a query. The representative was very helpful.

Sam edge

July 17th, 2020 Lexington, SC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I just got blue cross and my monthly payment is a reasonable $75 a month with only a $1000 deposit! I can’t wait to start saving money for my health!

Mark Wagner

July 16th, 2020 Scottsbluff, NE DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had BCBS while working as a heavy equipment mechanic, they covered all my needs and my family’s very well.

Ben and Cin

July 15th, 2020 Kenilworth, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had great service with them but lost coverage when I left my job. It was accepted almost everywhere and I only had to pay a small copay of $25

Misty Lacey

July 15th, 2020 Laurel, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had BCBS for many years & have enjoyed good health insurance. At times, I do wish it was easier to get things approved for physical therapy services or lower cost on some medicines

Amir Hussain

July 15th, 2020 New Castle, DE

Great option for insurance. I have this through my job and it covered a lot when i had to go to the ER twice

Marianouro1

July 15th, 2020 Katy, TX

Good attention. Very easy to work with. Nice and logical internet base platform. Good work

Alexander Johnson

July 14th, 2020 Burbank, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had an hmo plan and that bad boy didn’t really serve me well. Had the hardest time finding coverage for simple things. Way too many referrals and lots of waiting for tests to be cleared

Edward Obediah

July 14th, 2020 Katy, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

All written information informative and easy to read. Quotes were accurate and understandable. Great prescription mail order system Customer Service reps were first rate.

Corena

July 12th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Copay is lower than most always send statement that is easy to understand and explain all charges

Larvan60

July 11th, 2020 Galva, KS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I became extremely Ill a few weeks ago and thought that I may have contracted the Coronavirus as this virus's symptoms run a close parallel to Ifluenzas A and B and my symptoms, for the most part, were within the parameter of the virus so therefore, I contacted the only medical people I could due to the time I called which was our local hospital and gave them a description of my symptoms. I was told that I would have to either wait a couple of days before I could get tested by going to their drive through testing stations or going into the hospital, to their ER and check in there. My wife called her supervisor and told him what was going on and he ordered her to stay home from work and go into Self quarantine, which she did. At that time, I decided to go on into the hopital's ER check in station to get tested. When I the doctor and nurse finished their testing, I was told to go home and remain in self quarantine until the test results came in. I was in quarantine for 2 days until I received a telephone call from the hospital, telling me that the results came back Negative and that I more than likely had Influenza but they did not tell me which one I had. I had to figure that one out on my own which wound up being the A strain which was, by far, worse than the B strain. Approximately 3 weeks later, I received the bill that the hospital turned into BCBS and just the other day, I received the results from BCBS and when I looked at the final bill, I was very glad that I was sitting down!! BCBS didn't cover a single penny of the bill which is $1450.00 for the test!! Good God, this bill for this amount for sticking a cotton swap up my nose, twice in each side that made it feel like they were going to scrape the back side of my eyeballs, did a quick scan of my chest and take a few vitals?? The whole test concluded within a 5 minute period and I had to lay around in the ER room for about an hour, doing Nothing, seeing NO ONE and that room cost $987.00 per hour, or so it appears to be the going price?? BCBS is the worst insurance provider I have ever seen or had in my entire life and just as soon as I find another provider, I am going to tell them where they can get off!!! And I don't plan on being very nice about it either!! I have had it with those people, their bad habit of Ripping off those who are under their insurance plans!! And, I also have to thank the Steel Worker's Union for their Arrogant Stupidity and Ignorance when it comes t dealing with contracts that effect their members and all other employees. They couldn't negotiate with a freaking MORON!!!

Caleb Warren

July 10th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have never had a bad experience through BlueCross, the co pay is good and the premium isn’t a high amount either

Mandie Bremer

June 12th, 2020 Moncks Corner, SC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had went and got some labs done the other day. A nurse from BCBS called to make sure my visit went ok and of I had any questions about my labs or insurance policy.

Mark bishop BISHOP

May 19th, 2020 Urbandale, IA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

the worst. Nrt 1.5 B in profit yet raising our coverage again by 30%. Hours on hold to get someone to nowhere. Would not recommend to my worst enemy.

Sanjay Guha

May 11th, 2020 Troy, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great company to provide affordable health insurance for medical and dental expenses.

Stephen Bocanegra

April 3rd, 2020 Totteridge, BNE DETAILS arrow_drop_down

In my experience BCBS processes claims quickly, within a few days of submitting. Their submission process is straight forward and when questions do arise requiring clarifying information I've found the customer service reps (via phone and their secure messaging system) to be quite helpful, knowledgeable, and reasonable in getting the claim moving again. If you make a minor error in your claim form, their reviewers use common sense and generally compare the invoice and process the claim accordingly. Aside from one example where a medical provider made a mistake in assigning an out of network therapist, I've had no issues getting prompt payments and addressing questions when needed. I will look to keep BCBS as long as possible, presuming they continue to maintain that level of good service. I write this review in the context of comparing BCBS to my (now former) dental insurance provider (Aetna Dental) who I just dropped after 18 years, because they seemed to use every bureaucratic maneuver possible to delay claims, lose correspondence, and generally be unhelpful in processing claims that should be routine in nature. There is no comparison.

Mia miga7440

March 30th, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ive had BlueCross BlueShield for years, and Ive never had in troubles with my medical bills. Its a great insurance company and covers almost everything. I highly suggest this insurance company for you and your family.

April Jones

March 27th, 2020 Tremonton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The customer service has been amazing! And I like the small copays for Dr visits!

Leslie Miller

March 19th, 2020 Katy, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Went to the doctor yesterday to get treatment for something. My doctor wrote me a prescription and I dropped it off at the pharmacy. Later I get a message from the pharmacy that my insurance doesn't cover that brand and has a preferred brand. Now the doctor is out and I can't get the brand changed. It's already been over 24 hours since I sought treatment and got the prescription I need. Now that the doctor is out, I can pay out of pocket for my prescription when I already pay these jerks 700 a month or my treatment will be delayed for days or weeks until I need surgery to fix something that could have been stopped in a couple days all because Blue Cross has a preferred brand. This company sucks, always has.