BlueCross BlueShield Logo

BlueCross BlueShield

7.6

LAST UPDATED: December 6th, 2022

Health insurance helps you control your medical expenses by giving your access to negotiated rates and cost-sharing for your out-of-pocket costs. Choosing a trusted insurer is important.

BlueCross BlueShield is a renowned and well-known insurance provider. With BlueCross BlueShield, customers can have access to great member resources. Customers can also purchase dental and vision coverage.

View BlueCross BlueShield Reviews

BlueCross BlueShield is also a parent company of other health insurance companies that provide BlueCross BlueShield insurance in specific regions and states. BlueCross BlueShield companies include Anthem, CareFirst, Regence, Wellmark, Highmark, Capital, Empire, Independence, Horizon, and Premera.

It oversees 36 different insurance companies, all of which are locally operated. As a nationwide company in the health insurance marketplace, BlueCross BlueShield has helped millions of people with health insurance plans since its founding in 1929.

The Good

• Positive Customer Reviews
  • Health Plan Selection
  • Member Resources
  • Large Provider Network
  • Blue365 Rewards Program
  • Helpful Website and Customer Service
  • Availability and Acceptance

Positive Customer Reviews

BlueCross BlueSheild has earned many positive customer ratings and reviews on Best Company. These reviews mention satisfaction with claims, coverage, and customer service.

Issues with claims and coverage are common in the health insurance industry, so it's a good sign that BlueCross BlueSheild's positive reviews highlight satisfaction with these things.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Nathan from Broomfield, Colorado

"I have always been impressed with the quality and quantity of coverage I have gotten from Blue Cross Blue Shield. They have helped me get through some very trying times and pay for my medication!"

Health Plan Selection

BlueCross BlueShield insurance plans are available nationwide and widely accepted at hospitals and doctor's offices.

Coverage options range in many types — from a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) to Health Maintenance Organization (HMO). These plan-types indicate the kind of provider network available with the health plan. PPO plans generally offer coverage for seeing out-of-network providers, though the coverage levels are not as high as for in-network providers. HMO plans only offer out-of-network coverage in emergency situations.

BlueCross BlueShield also offers plans with Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRAs), and Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs). BlueCross BlueShield also offers indemnity, Point of Service (POS), and short-term health insurance plan options.

The coverage and details of each medical policy varies. The costs depend partially on your health situation (including age, number of group being insured, health status, etc.) and your location. When you initially search for a health plan to understand the benefits and costs of monthly payments, expect to put in your location and some personal information, as these points will help BlueCross BlueShield draw up a list of potential plans for you.

BlueCross BlueShield also offers Medicare and Medicaid plans. Its Medicare plans include Medicare Supplement insurance (Medigap), Part D (prescription drug plans), and Medicare Advantage plans.

A Medicare Advantage plan covers the same medical care as Original Medicare (Medicare Part B and Part A) in a single health plan. Most also include qualifying prescription drug coverage, which means you don't have to buy additional medical policies. Check your plan's drug formulary to understand what prescription drugs are covered. Medicare Advantage plans are also called Medicare Part C.

Medigap plans can be purchased to help pay for Original Medicare out-of-pocket costs (copayment and coinsurance). To qualify for Medicare benefits, individuals generally must be at least 65 years old.

In addition to health care coverage options, the some BlueCross BlueShield Plan offerings include dental insurance plans and vision insurance. Dental plans and vision plans may also vary by location, so it's important to work with the subsidiary in your area to get specific information. Those looking for vision or dental coverage can find good policies through BlueCross BlueShield.

As you evaluate your health insurance options, keep your health needs and budget in mind. The amount you pay for a health plan is not limited to the monthly premiums. In addition to considering the cost of premiums, you should also consider how expensive the out-of-pocket expenses will be. Sometimes paying a higher premium will mean having cheaper out-of-pocket expenses (copays and coinsurance) or lower out-of-pocket maximums.

Member Resources

BlueCross BlueShield keeps up its positive reputation with members with both basic and advanced tools. Some of these tools are specific to each of its subsidiaries, and include customer service numbers and mobile apps.

Large Provider Network

BlueCross BlueShield's network of doctors and specialists is gigantic. BlueCross BlueShield insurance is accepted all over the United States. Because of the wide acceptance, it should be easy to find a network provider. Treatment and other medical services you receive from these providers will be covered in part by this company.

Blue365 Rewards Program

Another unique feature of the Blue365 program. Through Blue365, members can receive discounts on all sorts of health-related products and services. Some discounts and deals change from time to time. Blue365 saves you money and provides added motivation for you to get and stay healthy. Not every BlueCross BlueShield subsidiary may participate in Blue365, so check with your subsidiary to see if it does.

Helpful Website and Customer Service

The BlueCross BlueShield website offers general information on its website and makes it easy to find your local BlueCross BlueShield subsidiary. You can search for plans and get a quote, narrowing your search by location and the type of plan you're looking for.

BlueCross BlueShield answers frequently asked questions, have social media outlets to connect with clients more personally, and of course, provide mailing information for when you need to mail in a form or contact them via snail mail.

In short, BlueCross BlueShield takes lots of different steps to meet the needs of customers all over the US. It is available 24/7 to members and has set up its customer service tools to be convenient, immediate, and of course, helpful-even in the details.

Availability and Acceptance

BlueCross BlueShield is available in all 50 states, and is widely accepted by doctors and hospitals. Specific health care provider network access, however, does depend on the individual health plan.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Rathan Kumar from Trabuco Canyon, California

"I had blue cross blue shield for 3 years when I was with my old job. They had a lot of providers in my area that worked great."

Get Quote

The Bad

State-Specific Coverage

For better or worse, the coverage you receive through your health plan depends partially on the state you live in (the state in which you would use that insurance). In other words, you can't just look up a PPO plan at BlueCross BlueShield and expect the same coverage percentages, out-of-pocket costs, and deductibles for any state. The BlueCross BlueShield website will direct you to the company that serves your area before you can get information on plan options.

The Bottom Line

In many ways, it's not surprising that there are inconsistencies in health insurance plan details at BlueCross BlueShield. After all, the health insurer is large and works though several subsidiaries. It provides coverage nationwide, and has an extensive history and reputation.

Its growth has brought both positive and negative consequences. For example, it's positive that BlueCross BlueShield is accepted at such a high percentages of hospitals, doctors, and urgent care centers because it is a well-known brand in the health insurance marketplace. But on the other hand, the office you work with locally could be one of those with a poor reputation since BlueCross BlueShield doesn't micromanage each subsidiary.

It's important to make sure any health plan you choose offers the medical coverage you need and is affordable. The best insurance plan for someone else may not necessarily be the best fit for your situation. Be sure to understand your health needs and what would fit into your budget. Choosing a reliable health insurer is also important. Reading health insurance reviews from customers can give you a sense of the general quality BlueCross BlueShield offers.

Long story short, BlueCross BlueShield is still a recommended insurance company. There are some regional differences with BlueCross BlueShield companies, so interested people should work with the insurer directly to learn more about coverage, benefits, premium rates, deductible, and out-of-pocket limit available with each health plan.

Call our recommended rep over at BlueCross BlueShield below.

3.7

Ahmad Nana Chicago, IL

I was really surprised when I had to pay almost 40 $ for my flu vaccine (A preventive service that should be encouraged by the insurance company) despite having good coverage.

Libby Smith Roswell, GA

It was good in Louisiana, but now that I live in Georgia it is awful!!!!! Provider search tool is terrible and even if you get it to work there are are a lot of barely qualified. Providers with educations from schools that rank low Globally are not ok with me.

Sarah Bosko Estes Park, CO

Very high deductibles with limited covered services, but it seems to be mostly in line with insurance companies right now. It would be great if they could give perks to stand out.

C Walt Tunkhannock, PA

I am on the verge of suing them AGAIN. A car accident in 2011 law-suit resulted in our receiving money equal to 1/3 of a house. When ever it gets expensive, they put up horrific road blocks. Starting with the ambulance: "that was the wrong ambulance (there is only one) "here is a check for $180 for that over $900 ambulance" (but after I pd. the deductible they SAID it was covered 100%) "we keep billing your car insurance but they deny it" (letter that told them the car insurance was exhausted is in the file) "We have no bill for those dates, we don't know why you are being sent to medical collection" (they are looking at records for the incorrect year) and on and on. I have spent 10 of hours with on on the phone. Calmly, no more. If I get one more call from a bill collector, Spencer, Hebe and Rague will sort it perfectly, with no bother from me.

Stephanie Sponheimer

Worst insurance I have ever had and had to deal with. They give conflicting information to providers. Saying a pre- auth isn’t needed but then denying a claim because there wasn’t one and saying a procedure is covered but then deny it I have two claims that are being appealed. If you have health issues this is the last thing you want to be dealing with

Diana Mkoyan Glendale, CA

The worst service! They do not care and do not track the case. The workers are pretty rude and do not follow up with the clients. You make the payment, but in several days you can find out your insurance is not active. The thing is, Blueshield does not even bother to understand the situation, and they can just bring unreasonable explanations and in the end, say it's not their fault. Even the supervisors do not think about the customers. They can just inform the agent they are busy and can't talk. That's it!!! Seriously, BlueShield is only good at receiving money, no normal service, no normal explanations, no following up!!!!!!!!!

Jake M Houston, TX

Blue Shield is horrible. I used a doctor that was on their network and he couldn’t properly diagnose me so he referred me to the emergency room. I wasn’t aware that I had such a high deductible at the emergency room or I would have figured something else out. I did need to figure out my prognosis so I went to emergency room and then later received a bill for over 2,000.00. I called Blue Shield horrible customer service and the lady told me she would have Blue Cross contact me which they never did . I called them back and the guy from customer service said that the lady never started the case so he stopped helping me and said the original lady would call me back. I finally got a call from her and she said they covered the charge and assured me several times it was covered. I continued getting calls from Christi Health about the bill so I called Blue Shields horrible customer service once again. This time a different lady answered and said that they never paid it and that I was gonna have to pay the bill. I complained letting them know I had gone to a doctor and he was the one that referred me and I had never had an emergency. The refused to listen and got stuck with pay the bill or end up with bad credit. I’m paying the bill of course but Blue Cross has horrible customer service.

Luke Saunders Austin, TX

What a terrible company. To start, they assigned us a PCP who is RETIRED! Wasting a month of my policy. Then I get reassigned to a new PCP, who doesn't even work as a PCP and is not accepting new clients. Can't even fix it over the phone because everyone on their member services number barely speaks english. Avoid Blue Cross at all costs.

Horrible Little Rock, AR

This is the second time writing this review as Blue Cross makes it difficult to leave them. I just now got a bill from my Dr. It was $266.00 Blue Cross paid $13.41. I've been paying for this insurance for over a year now. I was told by a Blue Cross representative that I cannot cancel until November. I asked to speak to an American several times but was told I was not allowed to speak to one. They were extremely rude. I will be cancelling in November

Tonya Walker TX

These people are horrible in terms returning phones calls, processing claims and knowing what the procedures are. I've been trying to reach a claim adjustor for over a week and the supervisor. All you get is the runaround and then not a single person there can give you a answer that makes any sense. They dont even know what the correct procedures are for a claim in which they are supposed to be processing. I would NEVER do business with them they should be ashamed of themselves and the quality of service they provided in my personal situation.

Robert Mott Bellevue, MI

I am very happy with BlueCross BlueShield insurance. The benefits are great and the website is informative and easy to use.

Annie Naperville, IL

Nothing is ever easy when you try to get help or a question answered. Some of the people who answer as BCBS customer service are lovely - and they try to help - but the company sucks at accommodating customers - so there is only so much they can do. Other times - the call sounds like it's from across the world - it's not a clear connection and there is a TON of noise in the background on their end. I cannot tell you how much time I have spent on hold over the years or going round and round in circles trying to get someone who can solve a problem. Just now - This guy literally just transferred me to a different department (or whatever) who said she couldn't help with the issue - and she transferred me right back to the original number that I called. Whether they mean to or not - the company comes off as only wanting to get your money - beyond that - the rest seems like pseudo-caring about health. In fairness - I have a friend who worked for them for years in Chicago - and she loved it there. Although - for the work she did - they underpaid her for sure... On the customer end though - yuck. I wish there were a better insurance company -- but they all know that they have us over a barrel.

Kelsi Doxey Salt Lake City, UT

I will never, ever go with Blue Cross Blue Shield ever again. We have been with a list of different health insurance companies over the years, and it has been an absolute nightmare to work with BCBS compared to every other insurance company. They will give you the pre-authorization to do a specialty treatments, for example- I had issues with a bad shoulder, bad neck & migraines for years after serval sports injuries, had done years of physical therapy and a long list of and other treatments and methodalities. We had our second baby last calendar year and not only met our deductible but also our out-of-pocket max, they told us we would have a zero payment for the three MRIs that we did of my shoulder, neck and head, and they paid NOTHING. They preauthorized it and then literally paid zero after telling us they would cover it. It was an absolute nightmare to try to fight that. I will continue to be very public about my absolute disgust with this company. They are NOT here to help you. They will deem everything they possibly can as “medically unnecessary.” We are with EMI health now and it has been night and day with EMI being completely willing to cover everything BCBS never would. DO NOT choose BCBS.

Gary Silver Spring, MD

I was told by friends and family that this is a good company. It seemed to be true until my wife who is on my plan tried to get a procedure pre-certified and BCBS essentially refused to do it based on nothing as far as I can tell? It was as if their automated system had an issue with some input and BCBS couldn't fix it. The patient help line did all they could but admitted they couldn't fix it and all they could do was refer it to precert which was per them overloaded and inadequate. The Drs office waited on hold for hours and when I tried to contact the precertification line I was on hold for over an hour (twice) before the recording hung up on me. This is service? I eventually got through and the guy at BCBS said that even though the Drs office had done the submission via their system they would have to fax the request as well to a special number. We're still waiting for service and meanwhile my wife is going without critical health care?!? Will BCBS refund my premiums for their lack of service? I'm not holding my breath. I wish I would've stayed with Humana.

stanley hrincevich Littleton, CO

Very efficient claim service. Payment of claims have very few jokes. Customer service excellent would like to see accountability of doctors that provide poor service for problems with surgery that eventually cost Blue Cross tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars

Stephen Bocanegra Totteridge, BNE

In my experience BCBS processes claims quickly, within a few days of submitting. Their submission process is straight forward and when questions do arise requiring clarifying information I've found the customer service reps (via phone and their secure messaging system) to be quite helpful, knowledgeable, and reasonable in getting the claim moving again. If you make a minor error in your claim form, their reviewers use common sense and generally compare the invoice and process the claim accordingly. Aside from one example where a medical provider made a mistake in assigning an out of network therapist, I've had no issues getting prompt payments and addressing questions when needed. I will look to keep BCBS as long as possible, presuming they continue to maintain that level of good service. I write this review in the context of comparing BCBS to my (now former) dental insurance provider (Aetna Dental) who I just dropped after 18 years, because they seemed to use every bureaucratic maneuver possible to delay claims, lose correspondence, and generally be unhelpful in processing claims that should be routine in nature. There is no comparison.

JimS. Cathedral City, CA

My former employer, AT&T, offers Blue Cross Blue Shield as an option for retiree medical insurance. I have always been very satisfied with them. They seem to have done a very good job negotiating cost containment with their network providers, so my co-pays are usually not bad. Remember, how much you pay for medical insurance depends on whether you are buying insurance from the insurance company, or whether they are just administering claims for your employer. Many employers are self insured. If that’s your situation, don’t complain about Blue Cross Blue Shield or whoever the insurance carrier is. Your employer or former employer decides what they will cover and what it will cost you. Overall my experience with Blue Cross Blue Shield administering AT&T’s health insurance claims has been good, and I have stuck with them for years.

Aleah Bell Durant, OK

This used to be a good insurance company. Now for the past 4 years they are horrible!!! I am glad the marketplace has finally started allowing other insurance companies to participate. Blue Cross Blue Shield has been dominant with no competition for too long!! They have denied every treatment request for my husband for the past 4 years. we have to appeal and call them over and over and it has caused my husbands Dr to stop helping him. It takes months to get approval for procedures. Our monthly premium is now almost $4,000. I pay $550. and we have the tax credit, thank goodness. So in my opinion, they are out and out Robbing us and the federal government.

Robert Minneapolis, MN

BCBS is now a nickel and dime inc. co. This past month I went to the doctor for routine blood tests and I got the surprise of my life this time when the bill came. I was charged $606 from labcorp then BCBS said they gave me a "discount" then the bill was down to $49.50 which was my share, WTF? When I called BCBS the guy tells me they never paid labcorp a dime, so how am I on the hook for this and the provider was in network. Both of these companies are crooks and need to be investigated for this here in MN. I plan to take my complaint on BCBS to the Atty. general of MN. Keith E and we all know who he put in jail last year. After Dec. of this year I will dump BCBS and just use my Medicare with a supplement carrier. BCBS sucks and their people are horrible to deal with always giving you the run around.

Connor Smith Palm City, FL

Blue Cross and Blue Shield is one of the insurance companies offered by my spouses job. Even with them paying part of it and us paying the other it is a reasonable price for insurance of a big family. Co-pays are reasonable price and most services are covered under our insurance.

IRENE’S GMAIL Grayslake, IL

Good morning!! Happy Friyay!! Hope all is well. I just got done talking to Jayme M. about my kids coverage, deductible and etc. I wanted to inform you that she is an EXCELLENT customer service to work with. With everything going on (May have a cold) during this pandemic she was collected. She was so polite and nice. She went over and beyond and was very professional. She definitely knows her job/business. If I could I would continue to use her for any inquiries. Her answer was very detailed. Great hire manager! Give her a raise!

Steven Davis Maineville, OH

Retired federal employee this is the best I have ever delt with and have delt with many. You get what you pay for, excemptional customer service and year-end tax info returns. Hospitals and Doctors love this insurance because of the service they provide (just ask, I did), no questions. Have never had a collections issue or billing. Customer oriented company. I will pay more for better service and that’s what I get.

Lydia Hackler Bryant, AR

I have it through my job. I don’t go to the doctor much so I don’t use it much. I did use it when I had my colonoscopy and had to work with the customer service department because the hospital kept coding it wrong. It was suppose to be completely paid for by insurance but I was getting charged for it. When I called they gave me the code to give to the hospital so they could revise it. The people at BCBS were very helpful and nice when they explained insurance questions I had.

Korinne C Riverton, UT

We currently use BlueCross BlueShield and it is great. It's a well-known insurance company and is accepted by every doctor I use. I wish the website was more simple and modern, but it works fine. I would love to see a benefit from getting steps in each day. Our old insurance would offer up to $20 a month for me and my spouse that would go into our HSA and it helped a lot of helped get moving on the slow days to be able to get that money.

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

i’ve only had part of experiences with Blue Cross Blue Shield. Over the summer I had many health concerns and Blue Cross Blue Shield was always there to help subsidize the cost. I am very grateful to have health insurance in general as I understand it’s a privilege that many people don’t have, and Blue Cross Blue Shield really helps exemplify the manner as to why health insurance is so important. I went to the hospital multiple times and all the procedures that I had totaled up to be copious amounts of money. However with Blue Cross Blue Shield and their online and buy the phone help, I was able to get the cost subsidize substantially. I am more than grateful to have Blue Cross Blue Shield and have only had positive experiences with the company.

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

We currently use Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona. I am very satisfied with this company for many reasons. I find that most of the doctors offices, radiology departments and laboratories that I go to accept this insurance which makes it very easy to pay for my medical services. I have called their customer service line and they have been very helpful to go over my plan detailing which services are covered and which are not. I am also very impressed with the ability. of this company to pay for medical services outside the state of Arizona. For instance I have used this company to pay for medical services in both Utah and Oregon. As a doctor, I find this company very fair in paying for patient's medical services. Overall I would rate them as outstanding.

Laura Hicks Cuba, MO

I have Anthem BCBS through work for our family's health insurance. I have found that the plan we have with them is above standard and rarely (if ever) have a claim denied. I have a lot of kids and someone is always sick so I rely heavily on the fact that my insurance will have my back when I need it. Their statements are a little confusing at times, but again, I have a lot of children so there is often a lot of information to process. Most of my insurance plan is paid by my company, but I pay a portion for my family. No one likes to pay for health insurance...it's expensive no matter who you go through. I could not afford this plan on my own so I'm grateful to my company that they pay the bulk of it. I wouldn't give any insurance company 5 stars for value because I really think it is way too expensive overall. Their customer service is usually pretty easy to deal with when I have to call on a claim. It is a company that is well known and I feel confident knowing I have them when I need them.

Malia Barnes Salt Lake City, UT

I love this company!! They cover many different Dr offices on our area and have a great program called, “Blue point preferred provider” where your co-pay is half the normal cost if you go to the The point provider Dr. The website is very interactive and user-friendly. It has a fitness program on it where you can earn up to $25 a year in Amazon gift cards by doing their health programs. I have called in to talk to customer service on multiple occasions and have always gotten to a life person without a long wait time. Customer service has always been very helpful and answered all my questions

Richard Hopper Apex, NC

I have policies with BCBS of North Carolina. I just spent 3.5 hours on the phone, being transferred no less than 8 times, as I attempted and failed to reactivate eyecare and dental policies that they mistakenly terminated instead of removing a party from each policy. In order to reactivate the policy they were checking to see if I could do so if I paid the premiums for the 5 months for which I was uncovered. Most frustrating customer service experience I have ever had. Shame on you BCBS!

Leandra Sivess Carbondale, CO

Blue Shield is terrible, I don't know how it compares to other providers (my company only provides Blue Shield) but I have called and talked to their customer service about 40 times in the last 7 months for a claim that still has not been resolved and only 1 person was actually able to give me insight into the status of it and get me going in the right direction. After that ONE person (after 39 others) was able to get my appeal submitted the medical director reviewed my claim (of my very expensive surgery) and only approved the claim for the surgery and the Doctor, NOT the operating room or operating cost. So if you want to have your surgery covered to be held in the middle of the street, choose Blue Shield.

Danny Diab Houston, TX

For the past few years, I've had to deal with this insurance carrier a number of times. I wouldn't wish this insurance "coverage" upon my worst enemy. Satan himself probably gives better coverage. They find any and all excuse to deny your claim, and even if they legally can't deny a claim, they'll throw up barriers over and over again. Just as ONE example, I once had to reschedule an MRI without contrast 3 times even though I specifically called - twice - to make sure no pre-authorization was needed (they said it was not). Guess what they did when I went for the imaging? They denied the clinic's claim, noting that pre-auth was required. This occurred twice, and it probably would have happened a third time if an elderly woman, another patient at the clinic, hadn't told me I should call them back and tell them to stick their pre-auth where the sun don't shine. Also, Blue Cross Blue Shield is a morally bankrupt corporation. Take it from a healthcare insider. They publicly pick fights with hospitals and clinics because they don't want to pay for good quality healthcare even though these healthcare facilities are covered by their plans. Hospitals are struggling to remain open because of filthy insurance corporations like BCBS The long and short of it is don't use Blue Cross Blue Shield. If you're shopping for a plan for your business, your family, or just yourself, do some in-depth research on a legitimately good company and good plan. Get referrals from some friends. I'm aging out of my plan now, and God knows I won't be going back to BCBS for my family.

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

BCBS has several layers of services for several different price points. The prescription service was very helpful for us giving more than one option. The customer service staff was very friendly and helpful whenever we had a question. The services and costs were spelled out with out coverage paperwork and we never had an issue with billing. Having the larger company helped with the costs and services covered as well as the range of doctors you can pick from.

Terrence myster ,

I what to that Kim who was my member service representative. She really went all out to help assure me that my MRI was covered in network and even called the place were I had a schedule appointment this afternoon. Thank you 😊 for your dedication. I wish you the very best in whatever you do because you have my vote👍

Yasemim Vienna, VA

I have been talking with Mary almost 1 hour, she is working at pharmacy department, I really would love say her “thank you so much” She call each pharmacy to make sure that my insurance cover medication and not pay it. She is amazing!

Kay Ellisville, MS

Hello everyone I think the business is also, and I just talk to a lady that work in flowood ms name Lakeisha. She was amazing with answering all my questions and also making sure I was making the right decisions. I will request for her every time.

Brandy Tallahassee, FL

I currently have BCBS and this company is amazing. The customer service is very quick and helpful. Whenever I go to the doctor's office there is never an issue when it comes to my insurance. One thing I love about BCBS is also the variety of doctors that they have available.

Bob K. Simi Valley, CA

Personally I have had no trouble with BCBS, but I rarely make use of my health insurance. On the other hand, my wife has had some pretty annoying experiences with them. They switched their preferred pharmacy coverage from RiteAid to Walgreens, and that has been the source of sporadic problems with timely refills and efficient service. The company managing prescriptions, Optum, has harangued her about her always responsible use of opioids for pain management, all the while having denied her ability to use Voltaren to soothe pain that was closer to skin level. My opinion is that BCBS is in the business of saving money, even when it lowers the quality of their services to users.

Elaine

Blue Shield has been an excellent health care provider. I have been with them since about 1986 and have never had a claim denied. I have had both an individual plan, and,now, a Medicare supplement. Their network of doctors, hospitals, etc is fantastic.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

BlueCross BlueShield has been a blessing for our family. They are a solid health insurance provider with a high regard for service. They have always been good to deal with for claims, service, or information. They are highly recommended as a top tier health insurance provider.

Mashawn Mickels Columbus, GA

While our company doesn't provide the best of information, you really have to research your benefits. Still, some how I missed these benefits. I was excited the nurse called and explained what I could have used and what I can still use as part of our benefits. The nurse has called twice since that initial day to check on me and sent some additional information.

Jim Irwin

This is my first year with BC/BS. Prior to this, I had an HMO. He care I get is exactly the same.However,my costs are much different, Under HAP, I paid nothing but a small co-pay while I now have $1,400 out of pocket costs that I am responsible for. I am a big user of my health care and BC/BShas been quite responsive.

Amy Stewart Gilbert, AZ

We had BlueCross BlueShield Health Insurance in the past offered to us through my husbands company and we loved it! My family had BlueCross BlueShield while i was pregnant. They were wonderful to cover everything that come up during childbirth. so comforting knowing that we didn't have a large bill when leaving the hospital.

Julie Martinez Mesa, AZ

We currently have BCBS with the best rates with the best coverage I have seen in many, many years. They pay their claims on time and have a large provider database in their network. Their customer service when calling in is very helpful.

Emerald Scott West Jordan, UT

I really enjoyed having BlueCross BlueShield insurance, the one downside is that I had to pay more to get the hospital I typically use in network. Other than that they were great and paid for most of the visits I had. They paid for my prescriptions almost every time as well. Their customer service when I had to call was simple and easy to get through and the people I talked to were really nice.

R Eugene, OR

NO! They pay okay, but don't try to call to verify benefits, they will refuse. Find out all the information online and if it's not reviewed online, good luck!

North Florida Wildliife Center Havana, FL

New customer here! I have been surprised with how great the customer service has been. Someone called me to get my primary doctor information, when I told them I didnt have one they were super helpful to tell me how to get one

Heather Lee Buena Vista, VA

This has been my insurance company for 6 years now and I've been pleased with them. They've covered the doctor visits we've needed and the birth of our child. The insurance cards are easy to use and all the doctors we see are covered by this insurance. I'm glad we use this company.

Janan Grange Pleasant Grove, UT

We have had BlueCross BlueShield for the last couple of years. It is the insurance that my husband's company uses. We have a high deductible plan but it we haven't had any problems with using the insurance. We've been able to select good providers and even specialists.

Erica Reynolds

Blue Cross Blue Shield is the only health insurance I have ever used. Customer service is great! They are easy to talk to and are very informative when it comes to questions regarding what you will have to pay out of pocket for visits and procedures.

Jenni Zollinger Aiken, SC

Best insurance in our state. I have had them for almost 3 years now and have been amazed at the money I have saved on health care. I especially love the Zipnosis Virtual Care option that is available at no charge to members as well as the weight loss program.