BlueCross BlueShield

Trusted For 80 Years
  • Dental and Vision Coverage
  • Blue365 Discount Program
  • Claim this Profile

Blue Cross Blue Shield is the renowned parent company of health insurance names like Anthem, CareFirst, Regence, Wellmark, Highmark, Capital, Empire, Independence, Horizon, and Premera. It oversees 36 different companies, all of which are locally operated, however. A nationwide company, BCBS has helped about 105 million people since its founding in 1929.

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
    • Member Resources
    • Unique Features
    • Customer Service
    • Availability and Acceptance
    • Mobile App

Types of Plans Offered

The health plans offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield are nationwide and widely accepted at hospitals and doctor's offices. They range in every type-from PPOs, to HMOs, to HSAs, to even HRAs and FSAs. BCBS also offers indemnity plans, Points of Service (POS), and short-term health insurance. And of course, they have Medicare and Medicaid options as well. The coverage and details of each of these plans depends partially on your health situation (including age, number of group being insured, health status, etc.) and your location. When you initially search for a health plan to get a quote, expect to put in your location and some personal information, as these points will help BCBS draw up a list of potential plans for you.

To their credit, the company also offers both dental and vision insurance for plans that allow it. The BlueDental plans include access to a network of 140,000 dentists around the US. It covers the basics, like preventative cleanings, fillings, and even crowns or braces if needed. There is no deductible for a dental checkup with this plan and no deductible for preventative care. The percentage of coverage, however, depends on your specific plan and the state you live in. For vision insurance, the BlueVision plans are accepted at 3,000 retail locations around the US and function through VSP. Vision insurance here has the potential to save you 20 to 40% on your optometry bills.

Member Resources

Blue Cross Blue Shield keeps up its positive reputation with members with both basic and advanced tools. On the basic level, BCBS has a member portal with the capability of tracking your claims 24/7. There's of course a member-dedicated phone number you can call as well, and members can contact the company at any time of day if needed. Through the BCBS website, members can download any forms they need, such as for filing a claim. Even potential members have the ability to get a quote about a health plan before committing to the company.

As for advanced resources, members have a lot to enjoy as well. BCBS goes above and beyond with their mobile app, to start out. While many health insurance companies have a mobile app just to access your patient portal, BCBS has one to help you find a doctor-both in terms of making sure a provider is in the BCBS network and in the sense that the app's GPS will give you directions to that facility. In addition, the AskBlue tool is worth mentioning. It's BCBS's tool for giving you detailed information about their health plans. Should you want more than basic information, you can just "Ask Blue" and get the prices, coverage points, deductibles, premiums, and more. This is a great tool to compare plans and find the best one for you. Finally, BCBS cares about the education of its members and shows this by providing articles about health care-including the confusing terms in health insurance, the changing laws about this industry, and more. This makes you feel more informed about health and your insurance.

Unique Features

Blue Cross Blue Shield's network of doctors and specialists is gigantic. BCBS insurance is accepted all over the US-not one state is left out. Perhaps more significant, though, is the fact that 96% of hospitals and 92% of doctors accept BCBS insurance. At most locations your medical bills will be covered in part by this company! Here's another unique feature of this company: the Blue365 program. Through Blue365, members can receive discounts on all sorts of health-related products, such as workout clothes, weight loss programs, hearing aids, and pedometers (to name just a few). Blue365 saves you money and provides added motivation for you to get and stay healthy. BCBS also has tools like their mobile app and the AskBlue resource for finding out more about their health plans. BCBS is also noted for being very involved in health-related causes in the community. Through associations with the American Diabetes Foundation, the YMCA, and the Make-a-Wish Foundation (again, just to name a few), BCBS has made a big difference in encouraging health and making healthier lives a reality.

The Blue Cross Blue Shield website is extremely detailed and full of resources for members and potential customers alike. For anyone who would benefit from it, they have general information about health care, health insurance, terminology, legal changes, and how all these factors affect people who need health insurance. More specifically, though, through the website you can find answers to questions about actual health plans offered by BCBS. You can search for plans and get a quote, narrowing your search by location and the type of plan you're looking for.

They answer frequently asked questions, have social media outlets to connect with clients more personally, and of course, provide mailing information for when you need to mail in a form or contact them via snail mail. Should all of these resources not be enough, though, BCBS provides phone numbers, an email address, live chatting, and even a 24/7 secure inquiry form that you can submit to the company for personalized answers. In short, Blue Cross Blue Shield takes lots of different steps to meet the needs of customers all over the US. They are available 24/7 to members and have set up their customer service tools to be convenient, immediate, and of course, helpful-even in the details.

Availability and Acceptance

BCBS is available in all 50 states, and over 90% of doctors and hospitals in America accept their insurance. BCBS insurance is accepted at 96% of hospitals and at 92% of doctor's offices. It goes without saying that this convenience alone trumps the hassles of lesser-known insurance plans.

Mobile App

The BCBS mobile app is slightly different from other companies' apps. Their Find a Doctor app not only helps you identify a doctor or hospital you can use your insurance at; it literally helps you find the location with its GPS ability.

The Bad

State-Specific Coverage

For better or worse, the coverage you receive through your health plan depends partially on the state you live in (the state in which you would use that insurance). In other words, you can't just look up a PPO plan at BCBS and expect the same coverage percentages and deductibles for any state. Prices are determined in part by location, which could work for or against you.

The Bottom Line

In many ways, it's not surprising that there are inconsistencies in health plan details at Blue Cross Blue Shield. After all, the company is so large, being nationwide, and has such an extensive history and reputation. Its growth has brought both positive and negative consequences. For example, it's positive that BCBS is accepted at such a high percentages of hospitals and doctor's offices because it is a well-known brand. But on the other hand, the office you work with locally could be one of those with a poor reputation since BCBS doesn't micromanage each subsidiary.

Long story short, BCBS is still a recommended health insurance option. They have some inconsistencies, but their benefits far outweigh these weaknesses.

3.8

Larry Elliott
    September 20th, 2018 Aberdeen, ID

Blue Cross has been very helpful especially when there has been a problem with an account. I would recommend Blue Cross to anyone looking for a health plan. I do not like when they have canceled a plan for the following year, then I have to find a new plan.

Sofie Rosenvall
    September 20th, 2018 Alpine, UT

We no longer have BlueCross and BlueShield but while we did I LOVED what they covered... After having 3 of my babies and having BlueCross BlueShield be our primary insurance we had awesome coverage and when I got the bill it wasn't even half what I thought it would be... Always great customer service treating me with respect. Can not say enough good things about BlueCross BlueShield

kristie
    September 18th, 2018 Pittsfield, MA DETAILS

Too expensive and does not cover anything. My husband and I pay so much money each month, just have to almost nothing covered.

Mark Evers
    September 18th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Very good insurance in network.., but if you need to use it out of network. Please be careful! They have good rates and have a great selection of doctors available!

Melanie E
    September 17th, 2018 Draper, UT

Blue Cross Blue Shield customer service needs service. They are difficult to work with and more eager to deny a claim than to fulfill their contracted obligation.

Kimberly Maddock
    September 17th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I recently had my first baby and we had BCBS as our insurance. The insurance was so comprehensive that I only ended up paying $250 for all my appointments and having a csection delivery. Their customer support was so helpful and their coverage was amazing.

Benjamin Taliulu
    September 13th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

They’ve always been helpful in getting any issues I had with medical billing straightened out

Tevita
    September 11th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Had BCBS for one year because our insurance at work changed. Did not like it at all. Too many problems with coverage and even had to deal with unpaid things even after we switched insurances the next year. Too much of a hassle.

Mashawn Mickels
    September 4th, 2018 Columbus, GA DETAILS

While our company doesn't provide the best of information, you really have to research your benefits. Still, some how I missed these benefits. I was excited the nurse called and explained what I could have used and what I can still use as part of our benefits. The nurse has called twice since that initial day to check on me and sent some additional information.

Joy Henry
    August 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

BlueCross BlueShield was my moms health insurance company and i don't know what we would have done without them. They covered her medical bills and allowed for her to always receive the treatment she needed. She passed away about a month ago and we were very grateful for her health insurance. Thank You!

Melissa Reinoso
    August 30th, 2018 Herriman, UT

I used to have an insurance policy with them at my old work. They are great to work with and make sure that you get the correct policy for your needs.

Ron Durfey
    August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I really enjoyed have Health Insurance through BCBS. I had to switch over to Aetna has my employer switched. I wish I could go back to BCBS. I never had to wonder if BCBS would cover my health procedures and felt like the customer service was great.

Shanna
    August 30th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I've had Blue Cross in the past and have really enjoyed it. I did think the premiums were a little higher compared to competitiors

Tualagi
    August 29th, 2018 Saint George, UT

we had BCBS through my husband insurance and it was quite expensive. on top of that we still had to pay a deductible and co insurance. office copay was $45 and specialty was $50. Prescriptions was anywhere from $25 - $45. If it wasn't for the FSA plan i wouldn't be able to afford the copays and prescriptions. customer service was friendly.

Thomas Hullinger
    August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

BlueCross BlueShield has made it easy for me to take care of my health and the health of my family. They give you the information up front to make an informed decision and help you every step of the way. Top notch care from top notch doctors and nurses.

L Fowler
    August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We are currently with BlueCross BlueShield and have had a good experience with them so far. They have paid us for our out of network bills in a timely manner and the co pay is reasonable to pay for an office visit.

Rashida Laumatia
    August 28th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Amazing coverage and prices are doable. Customer service is always helpful and is always willing to answer all my questions.

Anne Radcliffe
    August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

great service, good quality and customer supporr.

Darluap
    August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Have BCBS through my work. Great insurance. Easy to navigate web. Good customer service.

Reagan Durfey
    August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have been with BlueCross/Blue Shield for many years. They have more than enough participating Dr's and providers and their coverage plans work for us. High deductible plans are the worst. We have never had any real problems with them not paying claims in a timely matter so that is a bonus for us.

Kristiane R Durfey
    August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We had Blue Cross insurance before and had some good and some bad experiences with them. Overall, we were pleased but sometimes they denied claims and we had to resubmit them again.

tini mapu
    August 24th, 2018 Orem, UT

This was one of the first companies that I had insurance with. They had great benefits. They were a little more on the pricey side, but it seriously was worth it. When I switched companies I no longer could use them. I wish I still had them . Very big and well known company.

Tilda
    August 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Coverage was great, and love that I can use them were ever I traveled in state.

NT
    August 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

we had this insurance through my husband work for 3 years and when my son was diagnosed with cancer we couldn't add him on our insurance because of his new diagnoses. agents were very apologetic and tried everything they could to help us. they went over and beyond. prior to this we had no issue with BCBS. customer service was always a long wait time to speak too but at the end we always got our questions answered. monthly payments was expensive, for a family of 4 we were paying almost $650/family.

Stephanie Rose
    August 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT DETAILS

Blue Cross Blue Shield federal employee insurance doesn't care about it's insured!! Mom has multiple sclerosis and ehlers danlos syndrome. With both of those diseases she is constantly in a lot of pain due to issues with her back. She has had a discectomy, an operation to fix a herniated disk, and was told that eventually she will need to have her entire spine fused. Well a pain specialist recently put a light at the end of the tunnel. He told mom about a device, a spinal cord stimulator, that would be implanted internally to her spine and would override the pain sensors in her brain with pleasurable sensations or even no feeling! It was perfect! Mom was told this would be beneficial for her by her primary care physician, her neurologist, and her surgeon. They were excited that she would finally receive relief from her unending back pain. The pain specialist, Zion Pain Management, went through all the paperwork and found that the insurance required no prior approval for this procedure. With that in mind the doctors went ahead with the trial. It worked wonderfully! Mom had energy and was able to walk, sit, sleep, move, live without pain! But then Blue Cross said that they had not given authorization for the surgery so they were not going to pay for it. Then they claimed that this surgery was not medically necessary. They told the surgeon that he would need to cover the cost for the trial himself and that they would not pay for the permanent procedure. Because of that the surgeons would not move forward with the permanent procedure. Mom and all of her doctors have worked to overturn their verdict for over two months. Today though, Blue cross told mom that this surgery was not medically necessary because she was not in enough pain to warrant this type of surgery. She had not been on opioids long enough and had not proven that surgeey was needed. Who do they think they are?! They are using their own quack of a "professional" who from looking at a sheet of paper on a desk has singlehandedly decided that he knows mom better then all four of her doctors and that their four opinions are wrong. Screw them! Mom was crying after hearing their verdict. That pissed me off! Please share this around so that the truth of Blue Cross Blue Shield will be shown. They would rather their insured members be addicted to opioids and other harmful drugs then receive the full help they require. Screw them!!

Lesa Burgess
    August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Blue Cross Blue Shield is a great insurance company. I really thought they did their best with customer service and I felt my coverage was quite good. It was soooo expensive, but I feel like that's about normal for private health insurance anyway. Overall I would give them a good rating.

Kris
    August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Growing up in KY we had Blue Cross Blue Shield and they were so great to work with. I ended up having my first child there and the coverage was so much more compared to other insurances back in Utah.

Bella Houtz
    August 20th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

We had blue cross for many years until I switched jobs and it was no longer an option. They were always good to pay our claims in full and on time!

Becky Rasmussen
    August 20th, 2018 American Fork, UT

We've used Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance for the past 3 years and it's the worst insurance we've ever had. They'll pay your bills......after you've been sent to collections for their lack of response to the medical provider of the past 9 months. You will have to contact their 3rd party provider over EVERY claim to verify that you weren't insured at work, in a car accident or on the premise of another responsible party. The plans offered through my husbands employer all had high deductibles and didn't cover our preferred hospitals or clinics. My husband recently left his place of employment seeking better healthcare services.

Carolynn
    August 17th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

We had BCBS for one year and couldn't wait to switch health coverage. The billing and customer service were just horrible. It was such a hassle to get them to pay for things that they should of covered in the first place, and even with that I feel as if we paid way more out of pocket then we should have.

Eric
    August 2nd, 2018 Annandale, NJ

Good coverage with most doctors. Reasonable payment terms. As with other health insurance providers costs are high for healthcare coverage.

Sarah
    August 2nd, 2018 Fairfax, VA

I have found their customer service very helpful and responsive. I think their website could provide more details but overall I am pleased with their insurance.

jordan cummins
    August 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I have bluecross through work. I wish my individual plan was a little better but overall they have been good. Somtimes can be slow, especially because there was an issue with my wife having a second insurance.

Hannah Cummins
    August 1st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Blue Cross has great service, customer service, patient care and easy billing. The only negative thing is not being able to get some things covered as much as I would like (ex: chiropractic care etc.).

Cheryl Linden
    August 1st, 2018 Cave Creek, AZ

high deductibles, they pay doctors quick;

Darci Jensen
    July 27th, 2018 Alpine, UT

I had great coverage including coverage for complimentary healthcare treatments.

Anne Kimball
    July 27th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

I have dealt with a lot of health insurance companies, but BlueCross Blueshield has always given exceptional service. I had another company for a time and had to check on every bill because the coding and billing was incorrect, while BlueCross Blueshield didn't get it wrong even one time! And if I ever had questions about what providers were participating, or anything else, they were always to kind and helpful. It was such a breath of fresh air.

Sonja Squyres
    July 23rd, 2018 Ingleside, TX DETAILS

Between my monthly payment and my deductables i can barely afford the doctor visit!

MichaelDamico
    July 23rd, 2018 Kansas City, MO DETAILS

Very positive experience. Fair negotiators and if there was more they could do, maybe a better wellness program with a more user friendly website.

James B nelson
    July 23rd, 2018 Las Vegas, NV

I have not been very happy with any insurer but BlueCross has come through when they had to. I have 33K of hospital bills that we argued about for 9 months and they finally paid. They don't cheat, but they try hard to minimize what they have to pay.