BlueCross BlueShield Logo

BlueCross BlueShield

8.5

LAST UPDATED: May 20th, 2022

Health insurance helps you control your medical expenses by giving your access to negotiated rates and cost-sharing for your out-of-pocket costs. Choosing a trusted insurer is important.

BlueCross BlueShield is a renowned and well-known insurance provider. With BlueCross BlueShield, customers can have access to great member resources. Customers can also purchase dental and vision coverage.

View BlueCross BlueShield Reviews

BlueCross BlueShield is also a parent company of other health insurance companies that provide BlueCross BlueShield insurance in specific regions and states. BlueCross BlueShield companies include Anthem, CareFirst, Regence, Wellmark, Highmark, Capital, Empire, Independence, Horizon, and Premera.

It oversees 36 different insurance companies, all of which are locally operated. As a nationwide company in the health insurance marketplace, BlueCross BlueShield has helped millions of people with health insurance plans since its founding in 1929.

The Good

• Positive Customer Reviews
  • Health Plan Selection
  • Member Resources
  • Large Provider Network
  • Blue365 Rewards Program
  • Helpful Website and Customer Service
  • Availability and Acceptance

Positive Customer Reviews

BlueCross BlueSheild has earned many positive customer ratings and reviews on Best Company. These reviews mention satisfaction with claims, coverage, and customer service.

Issues with claims and coverage are common in the health insurance industry, so it's a good sign that BlueCross BlueSheild's positive reviews highlight satisfaction with these things.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Nathan from Broomfield, Colorado

"I have always been impressed with the quality and quantity of coverage I have gotten from Blue Cross Blue Shield. They have helped me get through some very trying times and pay for my medication!"

Health Plan Selection

BlueCross BlueShield insurance plans are available nationwide and widely accepted at hospitals and doctor's offices.

Coverage options range in many types — from a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) to Health Maintenance Organization (HMO). These plan-types indicate the kind of provider network available with the health plan. PPO plans generally offer coverage for seeing out-of-network providers, though the coverage levels are not as high as for in-network providers. HMO plans only offer out-of-network coverage in emergency situations.

BlueCross BlueShield also offers plans with Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRAs), and Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs). BlueCross BlueShield also offers indemnity, Point of Service (POS), and short-term health insurance plan options.

The coverage and details of each medical policy varies. The costs depend partially on your health situation (including age, number of group being insured, health status, etc.) and your location. When you initially search for a health plan to understand the benefits and costs of monthly payments, expect to put in your location and some personal information, as these points will help BlueCross BlueShield draw up a list of potential plans for you.

BlueCross BlueShield also offers Medicare and Medicaid plans. Its Medicare plans include Medicare Supplement insurance (Medigap), Part D (prescription drug plans), and Medicare Advantage plans.

A Medicare Advantage plan covers the same medical care as Original Medicare (Medicare Part B and Part A) in a single health plan. Most also include qualifying prescription drug coverage, which means you don't have to buy additional medical policies. Check your plan's drug formulary to understand what prescription drugs are covered. Medicare Advantage plans are also called Medicare Part C.

Medigap plans can be purchased to help pay for Original Medicare out-of-pocket costs (copayment and coinsurance). To qualify for Medicare benefits, individuals generally must be at least 65 years old.

In addition to health care coverage options, the some BlueCross BlueShield Plan offerings include dental insurance plans and vision insurance. Dental plans and vision plans may also vary by location, so it's important to work with the subsidiary in your area to get specific information. Those looking for vision or dental coverage can find good policies through BlueCross BlueShield.

As you evaluate your health insurance options, keep your health needs and budget in mind. The amount you pay for a health plan is not limited to the monthly premiums. In addition to considering the cost of premiums, you should also consider how expensive the out-of-pocket expenses will be. Sometimes paying a higher premium will mean having cheaper out-of-pocket expenses (copays and coinsurance) or lower out-of-pocket maximums.

Member Resources

BlueCross BlueShield keeps up its positive reputation with members with both basic and advanced tools. Some of these tools are specific to each of its subsidiaries, and include customer service numbers and mobile apps.

Large Provider Network

BlueCross BlueShield's network of doctors and specialists is gigantic. BlueCross BlueShield insurance is accepted all over the United States. Because of the wide acceptance, it should be easy to find a network provider. Treatment and other medical services you receive from these providers will be covered in part by this company.

Blue365 Rewards Program

Another unique feature of the Blue365 program. Through Blue365, members can receive discounts on all sorts of health-related products and services. Some discounts and deals change from time to time. Blue365 saves you money and provides added motivation for you to get and stay healthy. Not every BlueCross BlueShield subsidiary may participate in Blue365, so check with your subsidiary to see if it does.

Helpful Website and Customer Service

The BlueCross BlueShield website offers general information on its website and makes it easy to find your local BlueCross BlueShield subsidiary. You can search for plans and get a quote, narrowing your search by location and the type of plan you're looking for.

BlueCross BlueShield answers frequently asked questions, have social media outlets to connect with clients more personally, and of course, provide mailing information for when you need to mail in a form or contact them via snail mail.

In short, BlueCross BlueShield takes lots of different steps to meet the needs of customers all over the US. It is available 24/7 to members and has set up its customer service tools to be convenient, immediate, and of course, helpful-even in the details.

Availability and Acceptance

BlueCross BlueShield is available in all 50 states, and is widely accepted by doctors and hospitals. Specific health care provider network access, however, does depend on the individual health plan.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Rathan Kumar from Trabuco Canyon, California

"I had blue cross blue shield for 3 years when I was with my old job. They had a lot of providers in my area that worked great."

Get Quote

The Bad

State-Specific Coverage

For better or worse, the coverage you receive through your health plan depends partially on the state you live in (the state in which you would use that insurance). In other words, you can't just look up a PPO plan at BlueCross BlueShield and expect the same coverage percentages, out-of-pocket costs, and deductibles for any state. The BlueCross BlueShield website will direct you to the company that serves your area before you can get information on plan options.

The Bottom Line

In many ways, it's not surprising that there are inconsistencies in health insurance plan details at BlueCross BlueShield. After all, the health insurer is large and works though several subsidiaries. It provides coverage nationwide, and has an extensive history and reputation.

Its growth has brought both positive and negative consequences. For example, it's positive that BlueCross BlueShield is accepted at such a high percentages of hospitals, doctors, and urgent care centers because it is a well-known brand in the health insurance marketplace. But on the other hand, the office you work with locally could be one of those with a poor reputation since BlueCross BlueShield doesn't micromanage each subsidiary.

It's important to make sure any health plan you choose offers the medical coverage you need and is affordable. The best insurance plan for someone else may not necessarily be the best fit for your situation. Be sure to understand your health needs and what would fit into your budget. Choosing a reliable health insurer is also important. Reading health insurance reviews from customers can give you a sense of the general quality BlueCross BlueShield offers.

Long story short, BlueCross BlueShield is still a recommended insurance company. There are some regional differences with BlueCross BlueShield companies, so interested people should work with the insurer directly to learn more about coverage, benefits, premium rates, deductible, and out-of-pocket limit available with each health plan.

Call our recommended rep over at BlueCross BlueShield below.

3.8

Igwe Matthias Xll SC

What is the grace period policy of BCBS so ruthless? Why would it take 4 days to remove a grace period when people get their account up to date? You are dealing with people's health and life. That policy needs to be reviewed and removed. When an account is up to date, there should be no restrictions.

Robert Minneapolis, MN

BCBS is now a nickel and dime inc. co. This past month I went to the doctor for routine blood tests and I got the surprise of my life this time when the bill came. I was charged $606 from labcorp then BCBS said they gave me a "discount" then the bill was down to $49.50 which was my share, WTF? When I called BCBS the guy tells me they never paid labcorp a dime, so how am I on the hook for this and the provider was in network. Both of these companies are crooks and need to be investigated for this here in MN. I plan to take my complaint on BCBS to the Atty. general of MN. Keith E and we all know who he put in jail last year. After Dec. of this year I will dump BCBS and just use my Medicare with a supplement carrier. BCBS sucks and their people are horrible to deal with always giving you the run around.

Danny Diab Houston, TX

For the past few years, I've had to deal with this insurance carrier a number of times. I wouldn't wish this insurance "coverage" upon my worst enemy. Satan himself probably gives better coverage. They find any and all excuse to deny your claim, and even if they legally can't deny a claim, they'll throw up barriers over and over again. Just as ONE example, I once had to reschedule an MRI without contrast 3 times even though I specifically called - twice - to make sure no pre-authorization was needed (they said it was not). Guess what they did when I went for the imaging? They denied the clinic's claim, noting that pre-auth was required. This occurred twice, and it probably would have happened a third time if an elderly woman, another patient at the clinic, hadn't told me I should call them back and tell them to stick their pre-auth where the sun don't shine. Also, Blue Cross Blue Shield is a morally bankrupt corporation. Take it from a healthcare insider. They publicly pick fights with hospitals and clinics because they don't want to pay for good quality healthcare even though these healthcare facilities are covered by their plans. Hospitals are struggling to remain open because of filthy insurance corporations like BCBS The long and short of it is don't use Blue Cross Blue Shield. If you're shopping for a plan for your business, your family, or just yourself, do some in-depth research on a legitimately good company and good plan. Get referrals from some friends. I'm aging out of my plan now, and God knows I won't be going back to BCBS for my family.

Erin Taylor Louisville, KY

They have the nerve to tell me that I only need 2 doses of my medication a day rather than 3! I have had this prescription for over 6 years! How are you going to go against MY DOCTOR and his recommendation?! I wish my company would've stayed with UMR, they are AMAZING!

Kaylee Lapinskie Foley, AL

I have had BCBS for several years. I have always had a good experience with them. If there is a billing error with a provider they have been quick to respond. I have been fortunate that all of provider have been on their approved list.

North Florida Wildliife Center Havana, FL

New customer here! I have been surprised with how great the customer service has been. Someone called me to get my primary doctor information, when I told them I didnt have one they were super helpful to tell me how to get one

Heather Lee Buena Vista, VA

This has been my insurance company for 6 years now and I've been pleased with them. They've covered the doctor visits we've needed and the birth of our child. The insurance cards are easy to use and all the doctors we see are covered by this insurance. I'm glad we use this company.

Henry Clark Yucaipa, CA

BLUE SHEILD DENTAL IS A RIPP OFF .THE AGENTS SUCK AND THER LIARS .THEY NEVER TOLD ME I HAD TO WAIT 8 MONTHS FOR A ROOT CANAL PAYING 65.90 A MONTH .IF I WOULD OF KNOWN THIS I WOULD OF WENT SOME WHER ELSE .LIARS

Lydia Hackler Bryant, AR

I have it through my job. I don’t go to the doctor much so I don’t use it much. I did use it when I had my colonoscopy and had to work with the customer service department because the hospital kept coding it wrong. It was suppose to be completely paid for by insurance but I was getting charged for it. When I called they gave me the code to give to the hospital so they could revise it. The people at BCBS were very helpful and nice when they explained insurance questions I had.

Korinne C Riverton, UT

We currently use BlueCross BlueShield and it is great. It's a well-known insurance company and is accepted by every doctor I use. I wish the website was more simple and modern, but it works fine. I would love to see a benefit from getting steps in each day. Our old insurance would offer up to $20 a month for me and my spouse that would go into our HSA and it helped a lot of helped get moving on the slow days to be able to get that money.

SARGON Koro Honolulu, HI

It’s one of the worst dentals coverage out there, doesn’t cover not even half I pay lots out of my pocket since I started with them. I will cancel my dental benefits because of the bad coverage. HDS was lots better & I always paid so little, they used to cover lots of my bill.

JimS. Cathedral City, CA

My former employer, AT&T, offers Blue Cross Blue Shield as an option for retiree medical insurance. I have always been very satisfied with them. They seem to have done a very good job negotiating cost containment with their network providers, so my co-pays are usually not bad. Remember, how much you pay for medical insurance depends on whether you are buying insurance from the insurance company, or whether they are just administering claims for your employer. Many employers are self insured. If that’s your situation, don’t complain about Blue Cross Blue Shield or whoever the insurance carrier is. Your employer or former employer decides what they will cover and what it will cost you. Overall my experience with Blue Cross Blue Shield administering AT&T’s health insurance claims has been good, and I have stuck with them for years.

jennifer frank Chicago, IL

I had a mammogram which should have been covered under Obamacare but wasn't. I had to pay out of pocket $195.74. I called 2 times. On the first call, I was told it was covered, but this last time I called I was told it wasn't it was considered preventive. I was on the phone for an hour and when I asked to speak to a manager I was told they'll call me back in 48 hours. How does Bluecross not have a manager available?!? They also didn't cover my ultrasound because they claim it's preventive. My mammogram did not pick up a lump they found during the ultrasound. One would think Buecross would want to cover this because it will cost them more if I get breast cancer(which runs in my family and I've had lumps) or die. Then they would get no money!! I AM SO ANGRY because I know for a fact that Obamacare covers 100% of a mammogram...GUESS JUST NOT WITH BLUECROSS!! The fact that I called and had 2 different answers and that they are plain out denying coverage is so wrong!

Connor Smith Palm City, FL

Blue Cross and Blue Shield is one of the insurance companies offered by my spouses job. Even with them paying part of it and us paying the other it is a reasonable price for insurance of a big family. Co-pays are reasonable price and most services are covered under our insurance.

Janan Grange Pleasant Grove, UT

We have had BlueCross BlueShield for the last couple of years. It is the insurance that my husband's company uses. We have a high deductible plan but it we haven't had any problems with using the insurance. We've been able to select good providers and even specialists.

Erica Reynolds

Blue Cross Blue Shield is the only health insurance I have ever used. Customer service is great! They are easy to talk to and are very informative when it comes to questions regarding what you will have to pay out of pocket for visits and procedures.

Allison Lessenger Los Angeles, CA

Worst insurance ever. When you try to call it takes days sometimes weeks to get ahold of anyone. I have waited on hold for over 40 minutes and the call just disconnects. They don’t approve most of the prescription I was on for years. Horrible service.

Dani Ryckman Los Angeles, CA

I have a PPO and they contract out to New Directions for all mental health care. It’s a nightmare with regards to accessing mental health care for my child. I’m incredible disappointed after having coverage for over 10 years and being an overall satisfied customer.

T. Nelson New Orleans, LA

High Copays, High Deductibles. The customer gets penalized for choosing to go to their pharmacy of choice, or not to order via mail. United Healthcare was a much better option!! This company is a complete waste of money!!!!!!

tim hargis Palm Coast, FL

Customer service sucks when you call them you will get somebody either in India or Mexico. And I promise you none of them will have a medical education it is the biggest runaround I’ve ever gone through in my life dealing with an insurance company. Need to do better.

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

i’ve only had part of experiences with Blue Cross Blue Shield. Over the summer I had many health concerns and Blue Cross Blue Shield was always there to help subsidize the cost. I am very grateful to have health insurance in general as I understand it’s a privilege that many people don’t have, and Blue Cross Blue Shield really helps exemplify the manner as to why health insurance is so important. I went to the hospital multiple times and all the procedures that I had totaled up to be copious amounts of money. However with Blue Cross Blue Shield and their online and buy the phone help, I was able to get the cost subsidize substantially. I am more than grateful to have Blue Cross Blue Shield and have only had positive experiences with the company.

Lauren McDow Cambridge, MA

DO NOT call the nurse line for anything. You’ll be better off googling symptoms! They called 911 and made me stay on hold then 911 basically told me off. I don’t even have anything serious that I told them about. Basically you call the nurse line about something simple and they have to call 911 no matter what so they don’t get sued. Useless. Don’t advertise a nurse line for advice when that’s NOT at all what it is. Now I just feel bad about wasting 911 time and right where I started with a simple question.

Kerry Harris IA

Can not get them to pay for medicines that prescribe by my doctor been fighting over18 days to get it approved they think they're smarter than my doctor Said that medicine was not on her list to Be covered but can't prescribe anything that's on their list Just keep on a more and more and more notifications and documents from the doctor to keep from paying

Doug Braam Durango, CO

What a garbage company. I've been having treatment on my knee for years. This year my wives company decided to switch to BCBS. Now THEY have decided my treatment isn't medically necessary. Now I have to wait for my knee to blow up like a balloon, get it drained then injected with cortisone. Now my knee gets to degrade at a much quicker rate and I'll be getting a joint replacement in half the time. Trash company run by trash people. 0 stars.

darcy sullivan Pensacola, FL

My family and I have always used BlueCross BlueShield, and they have always been very kind and helpful to us. They are easy to get in touch with when a problem arises.

Gaju Shrestha Herriman, UT

I was with Blue Cross and Blue Shield couple of years ago and we recently switched again through my spouses job. It is a reasonable price for insurance of our family. Co-pays are reasonable price and most services are covered under our insurance.

Marci Randall Sandy, UT

We have had BCBS for almost 20 years and we have been extremely happy! I feel like they have kept our copays low. Any time I have had a question they are easily accessible, friendly and helpful.

Amy N Sandy, UT

BlueCross BlueShield was a very easy company to work with. The customer service was helpful and professional. The website was very easy to navigate and had lots of useful info.

Brent Thurgood Spanish Fork, UT

For the most part I have been satisfied with BlueCross BlueShield. However it does get frustrating when insurance agents not doctors decide what medical procedures are necessary. My wife was suffering from frozen shoulder and needed a manipulation. The amount of hoops we had to go through to get that approved was frustrating but once it was approved they covered everything they said they would.

stanley hrincevich Littleton, CO

Very efficient claim service. Payment of claims have very few jokes. Customer service excellent would like to see accountability of doctors that provide poor service for problems with surgery that eventually cost Blue Cross tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars

Jenni Zollinger Aiken, SC

Best insurance in our state. I have had them for almost 3 years now and have been amazed at the money I have saved on health care. I especially love the Zipnosis Virtual Care option that is available at no charge to members as well as the weight loss program.

Autumn Lewiston, ID

I am a current BlueCross BlueShield customer through an employee-sponsored healthcare program. I like that my annual wellness exam is covered besides the $20 deductible. I like the bill summary that you receive in the mail to understand all charges made and covered by insurance.

Mandy Pesce Laurelton, NJ

I have always had Horizon BCBS of NJ as my Healthcare provider. They are the most widely accepted insurance with most provider which makes it easy to go to almost any doctor you want, since they are all mostly "in-network" with HORIZON BCBS. Makes life much easier.

Cam Hall Palmyra, VA

BlueCross (via Anthem, Empire, and others through my employer), is consistently a good experience. They have a transparent view of expenses, claims, and outstanding HSA funds to use. It’s a super easy to use patient experience.

IRENE’S GMAIL Grayslake, IL

Good morning!! Happy Friyay!! Hope all is well. I just got done talking to Jayme M. about my kids coverage, deductible and etc. I wanted to inform you that she is an EXCELLENT customer service to work with. With everything going on (May have a cold) during this pandemic she was collected. She was so polite and nice. She went over and beyond and was very professional. She definitely knows her job/business. If I could I would continue to use her for any inquiries. Her answer was very detailed. Great hire manager! Give her a raise!

Stephen Bocanegra Totteridge, BNE

In my experience BCBS processes claims quickly, within a few days of submitting. Their submission process is straight forward and when questions do arise requiring clarifying information I've found the customer service reps (via phone and their secure messaging system) to be quite helpful, knowledgeable, and reasonable in getting the claim moving again. If you make a minor error in your claim form, their reviewers use common sense and generally compare the invoice and process the claim accordingly. Aside from one example where a medical provider made a mistake in assigning an out of network therapist, I've had no issues getting prompt payments and addressing questions when needed. I will look to keep BCBS as long as possible, presuming they continue to maintain that level of good service. I write this review in the context of comparing BCBS to my (now former) dental insurance provider (Aetna Dental) who I just dropped after 18 years, because they seemed to use every bureaucratic maneuver possible to delay claims, lose correspondence, and generally be unhelpful in processing claims that should be routine in nature. There is no comparison.

Elizabethdmy Poway, CA

Their benefit plan through Whole Foods seemed good. That is until they accidentally wrote me $12,079.65 worth of checks during the holidays. Then my provider contacted me asking for the checks. They said I have to sign the checks over to to the provider, and they cannot cancel the checks, because my name is on the form. If I do not I am responsible for the full amount, or it will ruin my credit. And now people are accusing me of fraud. I did not fraud anyone. You accidentally wrote $12,000 worth of checks TO THE WRONG PERSON!!!

Jay House El Dorado, AR

I had a non-work related back injury that required 36 visits to a chiropractor. They only covered a handful of visits and stuck me with several thousands of dollars in bills. The chiropractor was very upfront about this even before the first session and I tried to talk to my HR, a Bluecross representative that was actually on site, as well as on the phone, and they would not do anything for me. This was months ago. The reason I'm writing this now is because they just had me call them to ask me a few questions. At first, I thought they actually reviewed the situation and were going to do the right thing. But as it turns out, they were actually calling to find out if I had any plans of hiring an attorney. They were concerned that I was suing. Really puts into perspective where their priority lies.

Scott Grange San Jose, CA

Network is pretty good. Super annoying that they make me fill something out year for proof of other insurance and total screw up payments if you don't. Good negotiated rates with providers.

LBurr96 West Jordan, UT

I have been pleased with my coverage and for the most part the coverage is wonderful at covering a large variety of medical services that I have used.

Vy Ha Tallahassee, FL

I like that my insurance covers something I need for my personal health every time I run into trouble but I do not like that I sometimes have trouble having my insurance accepted with this company

Tamiz Amuthan Vedachalam Bolingbrook, IL

Poor and Unprofessional customer service. Every single agent will say different things and you will land up in future. Un-reliable payment system.

Marlene Coville Blakeslee, PA

Blue Cross Blue shield has always been my best healthcare with my working life I would never want to go with a different healthcare provider. Very easy to work with and always answers my questions.

Tate Huber Phoenix, AZ

This is my current health insurance provider. Their customer service is usually really helpful. I don't have to contact them often for myself, but by wife has several health issues and reaches out to BCBS at least every month or so and they are always knowledgeable and friendly.

Daniel Cebrero Henderson, NV

All my employers have used this as health insurance. It’s always easy to show up and use it at any medical location and it’s a great value for the money and I’ve never had an issue when using them.

M. Nielsen South Bend, IN

Great customer service their agents are so helpful and take the time to help you understand your benefits and policy. I made over 50 calls to them over the past year and my questions were always answered to my satisfaction.

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

BCBS has several layers of services for several different price points. The prescription service was very helpful for us giving more than one option. The customer service staff was very friendly and helpful whenever we had a question. The services and costs were spelled out with out coverage paperwork and we never had an issue with billing. Having the larger company helped with the costs and services covered as well as the range of doctors you can pick from.

Jasmine

I have this insurance myself and it hasn't given me any trouble. This company is great and without a doubt, I would never choose anything else. I love how i’m not worried when it comes to going to the doctor because when speaking with customer service, they help me through it.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

Overall, BlueCross BlueShield has been great insurance. They have consistently been there for me whenever I have a customer service request. They have various options for coverage that are affordable for all levels of income.

Steven Davis Maineville, OH

Retired federal employee this is the best I have ever delt with and have delt with many. You get what you pay for, excemptional customer service and year-end tax info returns. Hospitals and Doctors love this insurance because of the service they provide (just ask, I did), no questions. Have never had a collections issue or billing. Customer oriented company. I will pay more for better service and that’s what I get.