Best Company Guarantee Wells Fargo Logo

Wells Fargo

6.4

LAST UPDATED: August 17th, 2022

Founded in 1852, Wells Fargo is a financial services company that offers consumer and commercial banking, loans, insurance, wealth management, investments, and credit cards.

A Wells Fargo credit card offers low APRs and reward options including cash back, points, or hotel rewards. Even offering a student credit card, borrowers of all backgrounds can find a fitting credit card with Wells Fargo.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and Wells Fargo credit card reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Variety of Credit Cards
  • Competitive APRs
  • Rewards Credit Cards
  • No Annual Fees
  • Free Credit Score Tracking
  • Credit Card Protections
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Variety of Credit Cards

Wells Fargo has a variety of credit card options to meet the various needs of its customers. These credit card options include:

• Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card
  • Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card
  • Wells Fargo Visa Signature® Card
  • Wells Fargo Rewards® Card
  • Wells Fargo Platinum Card
  • Hotels.com® Rewards Visa® Credit Card
  • Wells Fargo Cash Back College Card

Each card has varying rewards and benefits, but none of them have an annual fee.

Competitive APRs

Depending on the card, Wells Fargo offers an introductory APR of 6 to 18 months on both purchases and balance transfers, providing consumers with the opportunity to pay off new purchases at a lower interest rate. After the introductory APR period, normal rates will be charged.

For consumers with excellent credit, Wells Fargo's lowest rate of approximately 15 percent is likely to be secured; this is average in the credit card industry. For those who have poor credit, a higher interest rate will likely be received, as high as 25 percent.

Rewards Credit Cards

Wells Fargo provides a number of rewards credit cards for its customers to choose from. By frequently using their Wells Fargo credit card, customers can earn rewards points that may be redeemed for cash, merchandise, gift cards, and travel.

For example, the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card is the reigning winner of NerdWallet's Best-Of award. With this card, consumers can earn three times the points on specific purchases, such as eating out and ordering in, gas stations, and hotels.

In addition to award-winning and other traditional rewards cards, young borrowers can apply for a Wells Fargo student credit card. This card allows college students to begin building credit while in school and offers cash rewards earned for up to $2,500 spent on gas, grocery, and drugstore purchases for the first six months. While not all credit card issuers have student credit card options, this Wells Fargo option is a great way for young people to begin building credit with the benefit of some rewards.

No Annual Fees

There are no annual fees for all Wells Fargo credit cards. This can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

Free Credit Score Tracking

Wells Fargo customers can monitor their credit score at no extra cost, which can help cardholders to stay on top of their credit and be aware of any changes to their score.

Credit Card Protections

In the event that there is an unauthorized charge or a credit card, or a card is lost or stolen, you should contact Wells Fargo immediately and it will jump to action immediately to protect your information.

In either of the aforementioned cases, consumers can call Wells Fargo's 24-hour customer service number. In a case such as unauthorized purchases, the consumer will be reimbursed if they report suspicious charges promptly and by calling customer service.

Additional information regarding billing, and services available to protect you from credit card fraud, should be included in your monthly statement and/or your Customer Agreement and Disclosure Statement.

Positive Customer Reviews

Fifty-three percent of customer reviews award Wells Fargo five stars. The majority of these positive reviews highlight reliable customer services, great rates and rewards. Overall, people have been pleased with their Wells Fargo credit card.

On the other hand, negative reviews suggest that Wells Fargo interest rates are high, and some customers describe unenjoyable encounters with customer service.

The Bad

• Foreign Transaction Fees
  • No Secured Credit Card Option
  • Wells Fargo Accounts Scandal

Foreign Transaction Fees

Wells Fargo does charge a foreign transaction fee of 3 percent of each international transaction converted to U.S. dollars. If you travel frequently this could be a drawback, and there are many credit issuers that offer cards with zero transaction fees.

No Secured Credit Card Option

Wells Fargo does not offer a secured credit card, an option that many other card issuers provide. Thus, if you are looking to rebuild your credit or have a bad credit score and are having a difficult time being approved for other credit cards, it would be in your best interest to look at other companies that have secured credit card options.

However, Wells Fargo does have a secured card option among its business credit card services.

Wells Fargo Accounts Scandal

Since 2013, Wells Fargo has been under severe scrutiny for harboring a toxic work environment and putting customers’ best interest aside in favor of driving greater sales. Employees were placed under intense pressure to meet unrealistic quotas, and as a result of this pressure, Wells Fargo employees signed customers up for accounts and credit cards they didn’t want, need, or in some cases, even have knowledge of. In turn, customers were often paying fees on accounts and cards that they didn’t need.

In addition to this scandal, Wells Fargo was recently sued by the cities of Sacramento, Philadelphia, Miami, and Oakland for allegedly giving Black and Latino homebuyers unfavorable mortgage terms.

The Bottom Line

Wells Fargo offers competitive APRs, including a generous introductory APR offering, rewards programs, limited annual fees, and free credit score tracking, making it a competitive credit card choice in the industry. While the company doesn’t offer an extensive range of cards like you might see with other credit card issuers, Wells Fargo’s cards do offer competitive rewards.

Applying for a Wells Fargo credit card is quick and easy, and you don’t need to be an existing Wells Fargo customer to apply for a credit card online. However, it could improve your chances of approval if you have an existing relationship with the bank in the form of some other bank account.

If you are seeking to build or rebuild credit through the use of a secured credit card, you will have to look elsewhere because Wells Fargo does not offer a secured credit card option for personal banking. However, there is a secured card option amongst its business credit card options.

Based on customer reviews, many customers trust and enjoy Wells Fargo’s banking and credit card services, despite recent company scandals.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

4.1

Jewelleah Kempers Las Vegas, NV

Wells Fargo is a scandalous company that continues to rip people off for their hard earned money. They let vendors continuously charge my credit card month after month even though I reported the vendors as fraudulent. I never was able to access the service I was supposedly getting every month and Wells Fargo refused to prevent them from charging me every month. They told me I had to contact the vendor directly in order to stop the monthly charges but I had no way to do that since the company charging me was a scam that did not have a phone number for customer service that even worked. After 9 months of being charged 297.00 a month, I finally just closed my credit card account with Wells Fargo to stop the charges. It's insane. Wells Fargo has no care in the world for their customers and they simply let vendors do as they please.

Phyllis Green Laguna Beach, CA

They are compassionate to Seniors. My husband has been with Wells Fargo for many years. When my husband needed to be at their office to sign documents and could barely walk they offered Curb Service! Can you imagine that! I drove my husband to his local Well Fargo office and while he waited in the car I went in to tell the Bank Manager he was here, one of the staff came out to the car and sat with my husband and took care of business. It was raining no less. I was very impressed with your people. They were so kind and considerate.

BOOHOUSTON Portland, OR

I am very happy as a Wells Fargo customer. I used to be an employee but not any longer. Their customer service has been great and if you have any issues or concerns, they seem to have some empathy and compassion and really do everything they can to help.

Mariana Tornero Alegria Hercules, CA

Terrible for teen accounts and too many fees for regular accounts. My teenager was paid with a fake check and the account was immediately closed. I understand it was a fake check but my teen didn't know better and I feel there should be some leniency.

21 hours ago

Garth Kline Eugene, OR

I have been with Wells Fargo since I was in high school. In that time it has been a love hate relationship. Very high interest but I got the first two years interest free, which is pretty good. Just be sure to check your balance before that free interest ends.

heidi m johnson Mt. Pleasant, SC

I have been a long time customer of Wells Fargo they bought out my bank. I have been with them since 1991 I plan to leave soon. I don't like this bank and don't want to support them. They charge for everything. I had trouble around 2007 with my business they wouldn't give me a break I closed out my business bank account. When I was building my business again I needed a credit card they would't give me one. I had always good credit before the recession. I will go to a credit union.

Missenurkissen Seattle, WA

My whole family for more than four generations all trust & use Wells Fargo for all our money needs. I love that whenever I call customer service for help with something they make sure I'm completely satisfied before letting me go & never make me feel like I'm wasting their time or dumb for asking questions, mostly I love that it's not a robot but an actual person who is not on the other side of the world!

Angie Smith Price, UT

Wells Fargo has no reasoning with their customers. They charge extremely high fees and are unwilling to negotiate their charges, altho they lead you to believe that if you pay them, then you have a high probability in getting the fees reversed. Then, not even negotiable.

Sideria Houston, TX

I go here to get my money off my card I can count on well Fargo to give me the cash I need.

Lakysha Reid Ellenwood, GA

I have been with this financial group since before they were Wells Fargo. The customer service did not decline from any of the company takeovers. I have several different accounts with them & if I need to speak to someone in any particular area, I have always been met with positive & knowledgeable representatives. If, I did have mixed concerns with the information given, I have always been able to escalate the problem & speak directly with someone more knowledgeable.

Rachelle Orlando, FL

I’ve been with Wells Fargo for more than seven years and they have yet to let me down. Their customer service is almost unparalleled and if for any reason I suspect fraud they are quick to cancel my cards, send me another, and reimburse me. I wish they were more proactive with updates and asking you for your preferences. It’s not until I’ve encountered some issues that I call and they tell me well I never notified them of such and such request or set this preferred method blah blah but no biggie. They’re cash back is improving and something to look forward to and so is their student card which waived certain annual fees and such for a while for me.

Melissa Mercado San Antonio, TX

Great company. 0% transfer options. I like that the banks are local as well. They always have excellent customer service.

Karen Bach Mount Airy, GA

Biggest issue I had with Wells Fargo was that they took advantage of not making my money available to me for the 7-10 days it might take for a large check to clear after a refinance of my home. Incidentally, the check was from another large banking institution and research revealed to me that it was officially cleared in 2 days. I closed my account immediately and moved on. I was recently told by a representative of an insurance company that most banks do not hold to the maximum period after an electronic deposit EXCEPT Wells Fargo!!

Jennifer Amarillo, TX

This was a first bank ever.. They were super nice. They let you personalize your cards which is awesome. The only bad experience about it was being an adult for the first time they persuaded me to get a credit card knowing I was not responsible for it yet and ruin my credit. I'm sure it was quotas needing to be met.

Janet Wood Birmingham, AL

I love this bank...it is so nice to walk into my branch and be acknowledged as a regular customer...Customer service at it's finest. Years ago I did have a problem with insufficient funds; however, they were quick to it corrected.

Daisy's Mom West Bend, WI

Overall, I'm not a fan. I use them when they offer longer term free financing deals, but I seem to recall running into an issue on the exact day of a final payment that became a battle. They following statement wanted to charge late fees and back interest. I about had a stroke. Other than that, I love using other people's money to buy things, and have used them multiple times on larger purchases to even out the payments.

J. D. Maney Pensacola, FL

Wells Fargo is my current mortgage holder and has provided me with an 18-month interest free Visa Platinum card as well as several unsecured personal loans over the past 16 years. I have always received great customer service from representatives who are knowledgeable, friendly, competent and professional. Who could ask for more??!!

gricel valdez Yuma, AZ

I have been a customer of Wells Fargo for my entire adult life. I have tried other places to bank but always end up coming back. I like their customer service. The hours are great escpecialy being able to bank on Saturdays. My family banks their and my kids have their accounts there as well. Online banking is a breeze and bill pay has simplified my life! I highly recommend Wells Fargo!

Aujana Denver, CO

Not a bad bank to use. But they should really do better before letting people open accounts. Had two different accounts open in my name.

Crystal Connell Denver, CO

This bank has really truly been a big help to me while going through the pandemic. Customer service tries hard to find and help anyways they can.

Savannah PavoReal Richmond, CA

They cannot be trusted. They do not care about the people that use their bank. Their customer service is on a Comcast level for sure which is rock bottom. Their automated service is ridiculous and it only causes anxiety and frustration. The customer service agents are not empowered enough to be able to help any guest find a solution to any problem.

Wendy Shaw Queens, NY

Great intro rate. Made paying bills easier and fealt more secure. Received a real nice sign on bonus. A credit line for every situation. Have refered family and friends...Don't miss out. EASY TO APPLY ON LINE!!!

Aricel Westfall Slocomb, AL

I am a college student and Wells Fargo is a simple and easy bank for someone like myself who has no knowledge of banks or credit cards. Working with them makes handling my finances stress free and not confusing.

Alexandria Lekberg Chesterfield, VA

I have banked with them for nine years. They are very helpful and kind when I go in. All my transactions have been perfect. I love that there are Wells Fargo banks everywhere all over the United States. That is why I started a bank account with them. No complaints!

Sarah Biondo Gilbert, AZ

We've banked at wells Fargo and have had the credit for about 15 years. The credit card is a visa and it's extremely convenient to transfer from our bank account to the credit card for payment, so we always keep it. We have had credit extensions over the year and use it for recurring costs or when Amex can't be used.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

My credit card is currently with wells fargo! I really like checking my account online with wellsfargo. I pay all my bills online through bill pay. I can also read my statements online. It is very easy to use and convenient. When I have had problems ordering services or products online that were not legit, wellsfargo got my money back. I have been very happy with this service

Chris Ramsey Hopewell, VA

It's a good company and has good employees but interest rate could be a alittle lower but keep up the good work

Martha Woodward Charlotte, NC

A rental car company tried to charge me for damages that I never made. Wells Fargo was extremely helpful in proving that the charges were bogus and refunding me my money.

Rosa R Lathrop, CA

This bank both in credit cards and in debit cards has poor service and not everyone is informed to give the customer a good service, it is very bad and I do not recommend it, it only cares about the accounts and the money that the customers have there but not the people or look for options so that the client is satisfied. They hire people who don't love what they do.

J B Sandy, UT

I think I've had a banking relationship of some kind or another with Wells Fargo since I turned 18. Always been a good partner to me. They provide great financial planning tools through their advisors.

James Goodman Port Orchard, WA

I have banked and saved with Wells Fargo since 1996. They still have the most helpful customer service, and employ staff that communicates well both in person and over the phone. I wouldn't trust my money with anyone else.

Luke Swierczynski Waterford, MI

Love my new 2% cash back visa. It's become my new go to card for anything that doesn't fall in a 5% category. Easy to use app as well to make payments, although I only had to login a single time to set up auto pay so far.

James Moss Knoxville, IA

Wells Fargo wants to go the extra mile, they have treated me right ever since I got their card. When I have a problem they are easy to contact and very professional in helping me.

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

Wells Fargo is great! Customer service is always pretty speedy which is nice in comparison to other credit card companies I've used in the past. They also have an awesome app that helps you manage your account and is easy to navigate.

Lizzy Puentes Abingdon, MD

Wells fargo credit card service is great! They are always available when help is needed via phone. The mobile app is also very helpful and the card is able to be added to your mobile wallet which is very convenient. It is also easy to get another card if your card is lost/stolen or if fraud is done on your account.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

I have a Wells Fargo Credit Card and they are easy to track online and the best thing that I like is their spending tracking that helps me with my budget. Interest rate is very attractive and I also like them giving me the option of money back depending on what I spend and I can put it right back into my account.

Skylar Miller Layton, UT

Wells Fargo Bank stands up for ur customer.

GREGORY MC LENDON

IN PERSON SERVICE IN BRENTWOOD CALIFORNIA IS FABULOUS. ONLINE IS OK

Nicole Jones Sandy, UT

If you're in debt and are looking for a credit card, I highly recommend the Platinum credit card from Wells Fargo. With its introductory 0% APR period, it's definitely worth looking into! Another added bonus is the cell phone insurance. A few months ago I broke my iPhone and because I pay my monthly cell phone bill with my WF Platinum card, I received $500 toward a new phone.

GrandpaRod Lehi, UT

I have banked at Wells Fargo and other banks. I enjoy the bill pay services as being very easy to use and understand. I like the concept that I can see all my accounts on one screen and can follow the transactions very well. I like the teller services as well and being very friendly. My investors left Wells Fargo because of the mismanagement of funds, so I do have my concerns, so I hope they can be resolved.

kayshel Herriman, UT

I banked with Wells Fargo for most of my adult life and used a credit card through that time. I only left Wells Fargo when they pretty much ignored me when trying to get a small HELOC. After being with them for 50 years, I was disappointed in their customer service and found a credit union that quickly helped me, so I switched to them for my banking needs.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I love my Wells Fargo Credit Card because of the trust I have in my bank. If I forget to call to say I'm leaving the state or country, I will have the bank call me or alert me right away it is being used. I have a great rate on my card and the customer service in always very pleasant. I can find a branch all across the United States wherever I go if I ever need to go in a bank to ask a personal question, or the 1-800 number is 24 hours a day.

Calista Huber Mesa, AZ

I have absolutely loved Well Fargo! My credit card was easy to open and easy yo understand. I got it when I was about 18 and my limit was low because I had a minimum wage job. I was able to learn how to use my credit card pay it back to build good credit and have never needed a higher limit. I've had great customer service and never have had any credit card issues!

Anna Hu Provo, UT

My credit card experience with Wells Fargo has been very positive. I have held my credit card with them for about 4 years now and Wells Fargo has automatically increased my limits as I have quickly paid off my bills. I like that Wells Fargo will calculate your credit score for free at any time. I wish my credit card gave me a higher rate back but very reliable experience with Wells.

ChristianB Chipley, FL

I am a new costumer to Wells Fargo and I'm a little underwhelmed by the service. Their company seems like they would be helpful but their random charges for any little thing just kind of confuses me.

Maude VORRICE Leavenworth, KS

someone attempted to open an account in my name. They were extremely helpful with intervening and preventing any identity theft

Julia Enright Albuquerque, NM

Wells Fargo...I have been a customer since 1991 (they put is on your debit card these days) I do appreciate any time I have an issue they are responsive. Fee's have gone up and changed considerably over the years but at least they explain the charges.

Yuli Gallardo Delray Beach, FL

Wells Fargo credit card is very convenient and more if you have a deposit bank account with the same bank. This card gets accepted everywhere and interest rates are fair.

Saraswati Manandhar Herriman, UT

I had my joint saving and checking account with my husband for years. They have great customer service. It is easier to deposit and withdraw and they have their branches all over that made my banking experience best.

Ron Thurgood Denver, CO

I had a home loan for 25 years with Wells Fargo, and had some home equity loans with them. Overall I was happy with the interactions and access on line to the information I needed.