Wells Fargo Logo

Wells Fargo

7.4

Founded in 1852, Wells Fargo is a financial services company that offers consumer and commercial banking, loans, insurance, wealth management, investments, and credit cards.

A Wells Fargo credit card offers low APRs and reward options including cash back, points, or hotel rewards. Even offering a student credit card, borrowers of all backgrounds can find a fitting credit card with Wells Fargo.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and Wells Fargo credit card reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Variety of Credit Cards
  • Competitive APRs
  • Rewards Credit Cards
  • No Annual Fees
  • Free Credit Score Tracking
  • Credit Card Protections
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Variety of Credit Cards

Wells Fargo has a variety of credit card options to meet the various needs of its customers. These credit card options include:

• Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card
  • Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa® Card
  • Wells Fargo Visa Signature® Card
  • Wells Fargo Rewards® Card
  • Wells Fargo Platinum Card
  • Hotels.com® Rewards Visa® Credit Card
  • Wells Fargo Cash Back College Card

Each card has varying rewards and benefits, but none of them have an annual fee.

Competitive APRs

Depending on the card, Wells Fargo offers an introductory APR of 6 to 18 months on both purchases and balance transfers, providing consumers with the opportunity to pay off new purchases at a lower interest rate. After the introductory APR period, normal rates will be charged.

For consumers with excellent credit, Wells Fargo's lowest rate of approximately 15 percent is likely to be secured; this is average in the credit card industry. For those who have poor credit, a higher interest rate will likely be received, as high as 25 percent.

Rewards Credit Cards

Wells Fargo provides a number of rewards credit cards for its customers to choose from. By frequently using their Wells Fargo credit card, customers can earn rewards points that may be redeemed for cash, merchandise, gift cards, and travel.

For example, the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card is the reigning winner of NerdWallet's Best-Of award. With this card, consumers can earn three times the points on specific purchases, such as eating out and ordering in, gas stations, and hotels.

In addition to award-winning and other traditional rewards cards, young borrowers can apply for a Wells Fargo student credit card. This card allows college students to begin building credit while in school and offers cash rewards earned for up to $2,500 spent on gas, grocery, and drugstore purchases for the first six months. While not all credit card issuers have student credit card options, this Wells Fargo option is a great way for young people to begin building credit with the benefit of some rewards.

No Annual Fees

There are no annual fees for all Wells Fargo credit cards. This can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

Free Credit Score Tracking

Wells Fargo customers can monitor their credit score at no extra cost, which can help cardholders to stay on top of their credit and be aware of any changes to their score.

Credit Card Protections

In the event that there is an unauthorized charge or a credit card, or a card is lost or stolen, you should contact Wells Fargo immediately and it will jump to action immediately to protect your information.

In either of the aforementioned cases, consumers can call Wells Fargo's 24-hour customer service number. In a case such as unauthorized purchases, the consumer will be reimbursed if they report suspicious charges promptly and by calling customer service.

Additional information regarding billing, and services available to protect you from credit card fraud, should be included in your monthly statement and/or your Customer Agreement and Disclosure Statement.

Positive Customer Reviews

Fifty-three percent of customer reviews award Wells Fargo five stars. The majority of these positive reviews highlight reliable customer services, great rates and rewards. Overall, people have been pleased with their Wells Fargo credit card.

On the other hand, negative reviews suggest that Wells Fargo interest rates are high, and some customers describe unenjoyable encounters with customer service.

The Bad

• Foreign Transaction Fees
  • No Secured Credit Card Option
  • Wells Fargo Accounts Scandal

Foreign Transaction Fees

Wells Fargo does charge a foreign transaction fee of 3 percent of each international transaction converted to U.S. dollars. If you travel frequently this could be a drawback, and there are many credit issuers that offer cards with zero transaction fees.

No Secured Credit Card Option

Wells Fargo does not offer a secured credit card, an option that many other card issuers provide. Thus, if you are looking to rebuild your credit or have a bad credit score and are having a difficult time being approved for other credit cards, it would be in your best interest to look at other companies that have secured credit card options.

However, Wells Fargo does have a secured card option among its business credit card services.

Wells Fargo Accounts Scandal

Since 2013, Wells Fargo has been under severe scrutiny for harboring a toxic work environment and putting customers’ best interest aside in favor of driving greater sales. Employees were placed under intense pressure to meet unrealistic quotas, and as a result of this pressure, Wells Fargo employees signed customers up for accounts and credit cards they didn’t want, need, or in some cases, even have knowledge of. In turn, customers were often paying fees on accounts and cards that they didn’t need.

In addition to this scandal, Wells Fargo was recently sued by the cities of Sacramento, Philadelphia, Miami, and Oakland for allegedly giving Black and Latino homebuyers unfavorable mortgage terms.

The Bottom Line

Wells Fargo offers competitive APRs, including a generous introductory APR offering, rewards programs, limited annual fees, and free credit score tracking, making it a competitive credit card choice in the industry. While the company doesn’t offer an extensive range of cards like you might see with other credit card issuers, Wells Fargo’s cards do offer competitive rewards.

Applying for a Wells Fargo credit card is quick and easy, and you don’t need to be an existing Wells Fargo customer to apply for a credit card online. However, it could improve your chances of approval if you have an existing relationship with the bank in the form of some other bank account.

If you are seeking to build or rebuild credit through the use of a secured credit card, you will have to look elsewhere because Wells Fargo does not offer a secured credit card option for personal banking. However, there is a secured card option amongst its business credit card options.

Based on customer reviews, many customers trust and enjoy Wells Fargo’s banking and credit card services, despite recent company scandals.

View Best Credit Card Companies

4.1

Karli American Fork, UT

My credit card is from Wells Fargo, and I've always had a great experience with it. I love that I get cash back rewards and more than enough time to pay off the balance. I've never had issues with the limits and overall really like my experience.

Chrissina Anonymous Gaithersburg, MD

I have been with Wells Fargo 20 + years. Great customer service each and every time (virtual or in person). I feel protected and the employees are friendly and professional.

Becky Gilbert, AZ

Wells Fargo has been great to work with. When we've had fraudulent charges, they took care of it nicely. When I have lost my card, they were great about getting me a new one.

Katrina Breithaupt Provo, UT

Wells Fargo is nice because they are easy to access in a wide number of places, but I have not been impressed with their fraud detection abilities or help. I had some money stolen while I was on a trip a while ago and despite all the proof I gave them (copies of my flight itinerary proving I was on a plane when the transaction happened in a foreign country) they said my experience was not fraud. I talked to several different people on the phone and even went into a branch to talk to someone in person. When I asked them what their definition of fraud was they had no explanation, and wouldn't help me further or never got back to me. A couple months later I called again to open a new claim and the representative identified my case immediately as possible fraud through a very simple indicator that anyone else should have been able to see as well. In addition, I don't feel that their credit card rewards are very good either and I am planning on changing banks.

Lizzy Puentes Abingdon, MD

Wells fargo credit card service is great! They are always available when help is needed via phone. The mobile app is also very helpful and the card is able to be added to your mobile wallet which is very convenient. It is also easy to get another card if your card is lost/stolen or if fraud is done on your account.

Toni Purdy Bullhead City, AZ

I have banked with Wells Fargo for 21 years. So friendly and knowledgeable. ER=asy to access accounts online.

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

ONE of the worst banking services around. I have NEVER had any good experiences with them with in their credit services. I have had issues with fraudulent charges and the process I was required to undergo, made it a "punishment" for me.. They are crooks and should not be in the banking business (see the "false loan request" scandal of a few years ago.

The Man Flake Rio Rancho, NM

They are trustworthy with my money and I can't say too much. Although I can't understand what they mean when they change a policy or what had changed. I would recommend explaining so that customers can understand better.

Lars Hamilton Carmel, IN

When you feel lucky you haven’t had a major issue but rather only inconveniences with your bank, they’ve already set the bar pretty low. They nickel and dime with fees but at least they didn’t open an account without my knowledge yet....or have they?

CoachTrista Englewood, CO

I have been a Wells Fargo customer for over 20 years. I use my Wells Fargo Credit Cards as my primary card for purchases. I like to keep everything in one place and I feel they have competitive interest rates.

Olmanika Milfort Tallahassee, FL

I currently have a debit card with Wells Fargo and the services are phenomenal. They are always good with customer services and they are swift with the services

Maureen Canelo Valdosta, GA

My experience with Wells Fargo has been beyond satisfactory their service and security is reliable.

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

I have used Wells Fargo for years and I’ve never had any issues. I enjoy the accessibility of the app, and how easy it is to control my accounts.

Omara Obas Tallahassee, FL

Wells Fargo is a very good card company for college students because they are always sending emails to better inform us about finances.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

I had a really good experience with Wells Fargo until I got involved in their credit cards. The app needs some work to match up with the needs of the credit card and the fees and rewards are not great.

Preston Darger Orem, UT

Been with Wells Fargo for years. They have had a tough go with their PR but have always handled my business with trust and care.

Chelsea Bishop Las Vegas, NV

I have been with Wells Fargo well over a decade. I like their user friendly app and website. I have lately been using Zelle more, and I like that money transfer application within their website! Feels very trustworthy.

Christopher Whiting Los Angeles, CA

I got a Wellsfargo credit card when I started college, they seemed to have tailored the card to my needs as I have grown gotten a family and my needs changed so has the card. I recommend it to anyone.

Morgan whiting Salt Lake City, UT

They are so friendly and kind. I live in a big city and they remember who I am not sure how. They always are willing to help out and go the extra mile. My kids also love the dum dums.

Wayne Young Little Rock, AR

Wells Fargo is a great reliable bank. They provide good information both on their website and in the mail. They gave us a great rate and deal for a credit card to purchase an item of jewelry.

Kevin Liu Sandy, UT

The Wells Fargo credit card has a great rewards program and the interest rates are pretty competitive. Their mobile app makes it super easy to pay my bill and link my checking account.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

I have a Wells Fargo Credit Card and they are easy to track online and the best thing that I like is their spending tracking that helps me with my budget. Interest rate is very attractive and I also like them giving me the option of money back depending on what I spend and I can put it right back into my account.

Nicole Jones Sandy, UT

If you're in debt and are looking for a credit card, I highly recommend the Platinum credit card from Wells Fargo. With its introductory 0% APR period, it's definitely worth looking into! Another added bonus is the cell phone insurance. A few months ago I broke my iPhone and because I pay my monthly cell phone bill with my WF Platinum card, I received $500 toward a new phone.

GrandpaRod Lehi, UT

I have banked at Wells Fargo and other banks. I enjoy the bill pay services as being very easy to use and understand. I like the concept that I can see all my accounts on one screen and can follow the transactions very well. I like the teller services as well and being very friendly. My investors left Wells Fargo because of the mismanagement of funds, so I do have my concerns, so I hope they can be resolved.

kayshel Herriman, UT

I banked with Wells Fargo for most of my adult life and used a credit card through that time. I only left Wells Fargo when they pretty much ignored me when trying to get a small HELOC. After being with them for 50 years, I was disappointed in their customer service and found a credit union that quickly helped me, so I switched to them for my banking needs.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I love my Wells Fargo Credit Card because of the trust I have in my bank. If I forget to call to say I'm leaving the state or country, I will have the bank call me or alert me right away it is being used. I have a great rate on my card and the customer service in always very pleasant. I can find a branch all across the United States wherever I go if I ever need to go in a bank to ask a personal question, or the 1-800 number is 24 hours a day.

Calista Huber Mesa, AZ

I have absolutely loved Well Fargo! My credit card was easy to open and easy yo understand. I got it when I was about 18 and my limit was low because I had a minimum wage job. I was able to learn how to use my credit card pay it back to build good credit and have never needed a higher limit. I've had great customer service and never have had any credit card issues!

Anna Hu Provo, UT

My credit card experience with Wells Fargo has been very positive. I have held my credit card with them for about 4 years now and Wells Fargo has automatically increased my limits as I have quickly paid off my bills. I like that Wells Fargo will calculate your credit score for free at any time. I wish my credit card gave me a higher rate back but very reliable experience with Wells.

Lizzie Billings West Valley City, UT

Reliable company. Quick to help and quick to dispute charges of there are ever issues. They have their customers back!

Emily Grossman Houston, TX

I bank with Wells Fargo which has great customer services! My card was messing up and they sent me a new one within days

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

I have a Wells Fargo teen checking account with my family. Wells Fargo is a great bank and I enjoy the online banking features, but there are a lot of fees. It is definitely cheaper to get a credit union.

Tiffany Vollmer Midvale, UT

We have used Wells Fargo for an auto loan and were very pleased with the service we received. They make the online payment process convenient and easy.

Lkirton Park City, UT

Wells Fargo is the best. I feel very confident in having a credit card through Wells Fargo, I know that my information is safe and secure through them.

Alice White Plains, NY

Like the alerts I receive. How knowledgeable the customer service is and how friendly they are.Always feel like I am treated with respect and they make me feel how important I am to them.

Hyrum Sandy, UT

I don't have any other cards to compare it with, but I've never had any issues. They seem to have an appropriate algorithm to reward responsible management with increased credit limits. It's annoying that after I got married, my wife couldn't have access to the card online, but I think that has more to do with federal law than Wells Fargo.

Eli Alanis

Never had any problems using it. Whenever I have a question about the credit card or about the statement , I call custermer service and with a friendly voice they ask me how can they help me. The representative helps me with the questions and they find a solution.

Julie E Houston, TX

they have always been there when I have needed them; when american express closed my account, wellsfargo gave me a card; when Hurricane Harvey hit; they have been here for me

Randy Rhodes Pleasant Grove, UT

Have banked with Wells Fargo for many years. I have an account at a credit union that has been hacked twice but never any trouble with Wells Fargo. Tells are super courteous sometimes to the point it can seem a little fake but it is better to have over the top customer service than not.

Haelyn Lahens Deerfield Beach, FL

I have been a customer with Wells Fargo since 2009 and I have never had any problems. They are highly dependable and they really want the best for you. There were several cases in which I needed replacement cards or I forgot the password to my online account. In every circumstance, they were always willing to quickly help.

Beth Christensen Provo, UT

Wells Fargo is trustworthy, has a really user-friendly app and website, and the employees are awesome. Any time I've gone into a Wells Fargo establishment or called for help over the phone, I've literally always been helped and figured out whatever issue I've had. I 100% recommend them to anyone!

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

I have a Wells Fargo credit card and have had it forever. It is easy to use with a great rate attached and many notifications can be attached to it for record keeping and tracking spending. It can be used almost everywhere and is very convenient.

Whitney Stanko Smithfield, UT

I love my college Credit card. I only have a certain spending limit and it isn't very high. Also paying off my card is super easy and fast to do. I was worried it would be hard and stressful but Wells Fargo makes it super easy to do online.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

This is the card I use the most. It has rewards that I like, it gives me cash back if I want. I have a lot of options. I trust the bank and they have locations that are easy to go into and check on things if I need to. I also have great fraud protection and they will let me know if anything looks suspicious.

Michael E Berrett Lindon, UT

Wells Fargo 0 well - it is a mixed review: I have had a Wells Fargo Visa card for a couple decades, and had excellent service, and no problems of any kind. On the other hand, I am disgusted with the lack of integrity and dishonesty internally - obviously covered up or endorsed or ignored by upper management for the dishonest problems which have been in the press about the company over the past two years. There is a. reputation to recover - and it is going to take a while for me to regain trust with this organization. Anyone can make a mistake - but with these guys - too many - and too big of mistakes. I wish them well in their pursuit to re-build trust

Kristiane R Durfey Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been very pleased with my Wells Fargo Credit card. It isn't one that I use very often but when I need to it's nice to know that I can use it without any problems. I have a Wells Fargo checking and savings account as well which makes paying off the card so convenient to do with online banking.

Ann Bailey Lehi, UT

My elderly parents bank at Wells Fargo. I was pleasantly surprised that they offer free notarization for living wills and trusts. We walked into the facility on two different days. The agents were friendly, and took the time needed to care for us.

janalee sanders Valley Center, CA

we currently use this card and have never had any problems. they seem to keep good interest rates and have always protected our personal information from what we know. this card has worked well for us because we also do other banking with Wells Fargo so we can tie that into the card sometimes

Melissa Carreno Mesa, AZ

I don't have a checking account, so having a savings account only which makes it a little more difficult to speak to customer service and their systems are now more difficult for face to face clients they make it inconvenient. I do have a credit card as well, again, not my favorite, but I got the Propel card and still waiting for the rewards to show up 4 months later...not impressed.

Van M. Orem, UT

Good Service, I like their website because it's easy to use. They have been good to work with.

David Glauser Salt Lake City, UT

I've had a Wells Fargo credit card for years. Solid rewards program and good consumer protection.