As the fifth-largest consumer bank and eighth-largest bank overall in the nation, Capital One offers banking services with a focus on helping consumers find financial success with credit cards.

Capital One offers credit cards for all credit levels, making it one of the most popular choices in the industry — no matter if you have bad credit or excellent credit, there are options for you.

Backed by positive customer reviews, getting a credit card with Capital One is a great option for whatever your financial need may be.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and verified Capital One reviews from real customers.

#2 American Express (Amex) chevron_right
#3 Discover chevron_right

The Good

• Variety of Cards
  • Cards for Bad Credit
  • Rewards
  • 0% APR Credit Cards
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Check
  • Fraud Safeguards

Variety of Cards

Capital One offers 19 different types of cards, allowing you to choose the best credit card based on your credit score, rate and fee preferences, and different rewards offerings.

Capital One seeks to provide a credit card option for every consumer. Those who are looking to rebuild credit can apply for a secured credit card, an offering that is not available with every credit card company. Those with excellent credit can choose from various cash back cards, or pick a rewards credit card, offering points or miles on airlines, hotels, or other travel expenses. Capital One also offers store credit cards for those with excellent credit scores.

Each credit card listed on Capital One's website lists the purchase rate, transfer information, annual fee, and credit level required for approval, making it easy to see at a glance what options might be best for you.

Cards for Bad Credit

Capital One offers a secured credit card for consumers with bad credit, or those trying to rebuild credit.

Secured cards require a security deposit, which becomes your credit limit. Capital One requires a deposit of $49, $99, or $200 for an initial credit line of $200. This secured card is unique in that the security deposit is refundable, and the customer will be automatically considered for a higher credit line after six months. The card does not have an annual fee, but the APR rate is relatively high, at least compared to regular credit cards, at 26.99 percent variable APR.

Rewards

For the majority of their cards, excluding secured cards used for building credit, Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders.

Rewards vary based on each card. It is important to note that some cards do not allow rewards, including cash back, on all purchases. Some cards, such as the Savor® Rewards and SavorOne® Rewards cards only offer cashback on dining and entertainment. It is important to read all details provided to choose the rewards card that will best fit your needs.

0% APR Credit Cards

Capital One offers credit cards with a 0% intro APR, which is not necessarily unique to this card issuer. For those with excellent credit, they can apply for a card that will not require interest rate payment for the first 12–15 months.

Consumers with poor to fair credit will not be approved for cards with a 0% APR offering, and can generally expect higher rates.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently. Instead, foreign purchases will be automatically converted at the foreign exchange rate at the time of payment processing.

Free Credit Score Check

Through CreditWise® by Capital One, customers can access and view their credit history at no additional cost, and with no ramifications to their credit score.
It is important to note that CreditWise uses a different credit scoring model than the commonly used FICO score model. Both models are based on similar key factors that lenders look at when considering you for a credit offer.

Fraud Safeguards

Customer security is Capital One's top priority. To protect a customer's credit card information, as well as bank account and debit card information, Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards. Its associates are required to complete security training, and there are systems and protections put in place to protect a customer's personal information, such as their social security number.

If your card is lost or stolen, Capital One has listed phone numbers that you can call for immediate assistance. Upon contacting Capital One, your identity will be verified before account information is discussed or shared.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers credit cards with no annual fees, but there are various cards that have a required fee. Annual fees range from $39–$95, which is significantly lower that other card issuers, such as American Express that has some cards with an annual fee of $250.

However, the higher the annual fee, the bigger the rewards that can be offered on that credit card.

Late Payment Penalties

Capital One charges a fee for late payments, which varies depending on the card.

The Bottom Line

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs, competitive APRs, and fraud safeguards. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place.

ValCar

October 2nd, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital one Venture is the best. I’ve used rewards point to go to Maui 2 x in the last year. Love that they have Delta as one of their airlines when using rewards.

Jen

October 2nd, 2019 Clarks Summit, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the only credit card my husband and I use. We love how you can use points for buy plane tickets.

Sherry Arnold

October 2nd, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One is our only credit card and they've been great. We pay it off every month and when we've had any issues, their customer service has been extremely helpful.

Barry Henline

October 1st, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer service and online access is good. Fees and overall experience has also been good.

kristin Gneiting

September 30th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If you have just average credit not bad but not perfect this is the card for you. I get cash back on every purchase I make. I love this card because I can use some or even all of y rewards towards my monthly payment. It also gives you a backup for purchases made. The customer service is always excellent if I've run into a problem.

Ted Johnson

September 22nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a Capital One credit card and the rate is good. They have a great rewards program. They have given me an increased credit limit as I show that I pay it back on time and I use my credit wisely. They also have great tracking and many options that I can use with it.

Madison Scott

September 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a horrible experience with Capital One during a fraudulent experience they were no help at all. In fact, at times I felt as if they were the enemy. There was a huge lack of compassion and understanding. With Capital One it is all about money not the human experience.

Rory Henrie

September 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I currently have 2 business credit cards and a personal credit card through capital one. I have really liked their security and notifications of possible fraud. I have had a card stolen and they took care of everything. I would definitely recommend.

Joy Hill

September 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use many different credit cards - Capital One has the best rewards. Love the 2% cashback they give for business owners. Wish they had a chat feature

Paula Henrie

September 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had a Capitol One credit card for years. No problems and good customer service.

Randy Scoville

September 3rd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One is the main credit card we use. The rewards cash back is one of the best I have found. Super easy to pay balance online and customer service is great!

Nancy

August 23rd, 2019 Spokane, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was approved for Capital One MasterCard. I make all my payments on time. I always check my Capital One App. Just to make sure everything looks okay. Well on the 5th month l checked my Capital One App like I always do. And BAM 💥 I had been given a huge credit increase. My credit score has improved by over 100 points. I still have a ways to go with my credit score. My minimum payment due is less than $30.00 I do pay more than the minimum though. Also at all times make sure you keep enough credit to cover your interest. I keep $15.00 credit at all times on my card to cover the interest. I highly recommend Capital One.

Tracy Womack

August 7th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The Capital One Credit Card is so easy to use especially internationally! They have some of the best customer service, not to mention no international fees! I have had the best experiences with this company and I have suggested this credit card to all my friends.

Mazi Marcel Womack

July 20th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my capital one credit card. It is so easy to use and I love that they have no international fees.

Ms. Nancy

July 15th, 2019 Columbus, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent service! VERY pleased, especially when disputing charges, they take care of everything! No hassles, no additional stress. They've been GREAT!!

Joe

July 10th, 2019 North Hollywood, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They always have the best rates and offers in the market. I am so happy you exist. You make the market compatible.

Iva Welker

July 8th, 2019 Smiths, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They delivered on customer and the rewards.

Melissa Peterson

July 8th, 2019 Montague, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Wonderful customer service and services available.

Betta Bell

June 27th, 2019 Brentwood, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Their website is one of the best! Your payments are so easy to take care of with just several clicks...fast and efficient. Also, everything goes thru very quickly...doesn't take days and days to see on your account.

Melissa Cooper

June 27th, 2019 Sandpoint, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great card. Great company. No complaints.

Debbie Boyd

June 27th, 2019 Penns Grove, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

No problems per se. High interest rate that they never offer to lower

Shanae Boully

June 22nd, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love using my capital one card. The sad thing is the card I have does not have cash back but other than that I love it.

Jennifer

June 18th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital one is a great credit card Company. They are my go to when I travel. Love their service and mike points.

Sierra Beck

June 12th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have this card now and love the travel miles that I build with it. And it's so so easy to use them.

Jennifer Smith

June 10th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love our Capital One credit card. We have used the rewards program to save points towards travel. This company is helpful and eager to answer any questions we might have.

Anne Sainsbury

June 2nd, 2019 Payson, UT

About a year ago I applied for the Capital One Rewards Card. After applying I received a response stating that I was not eligible for this card because I had not built up my credit enough. I guess it would have been nice for me to know a bit more about the card before applying for it. I wish that the instructions for applying were easier to understand so that I would have known before that I did not qualify.

Eric

June 1st, 2019 Mapleton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent customer service and the Capital360 App is simple and intiitive! Would reccomend highly!

Brittany Bray

June 1st, 2019 Springville, UT

Capital one was my very first credit card when I turned 18. I was told it was the best and still to this day I believe it is. One perk is their website. VERY user friendly!

Lori

May 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our Capital One credit card is great. We have the no annual fee card that still comes with benefits so that makes it nice. We have never had any issues using it anywhere and the interest rate is low if we don't pay it off by the end of the month.

Karrie

May 15th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One is the only credit card we own and we have always really liked it. We can use it anywhere and we slowly build the rewards that are fun to use at times. I would recommend Capital One to anyone looking for a credit card.

Dean

May 13th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have 2 Capital One cards and love both of them. The fees are minimal and the rewards are amazing. Even if you lose a card or have a fraudulent charge it is super easy to resolve. I couldn't say enough good things about Capital One. Get a card from them if you don't already.

Jennifer

May 10th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One is my favorite credit card I own. No annual fee along with great benefits and a low interest rate just in case I don't pay it off in full makes it awesome. If you are looking for 1 card or looking to add another you must get a Capital One card!

Reese

May 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My Capital One card has a great rate, is easy to use anywhere, has benefits that I can choose from. It gives me the credit I need and deserve and I can pay it back easily.

MICHELLE

May 9th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am usually really good at paying my bill on time, but one month I simply forgot about it. I called customer service and they saw my history was good and they reversed my fee. I was pleasantly surprised. The man I spoke with was friendly and understood. I also love that I can check my credit through their services

Ashley

May 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I own the Savor Rewards card by capital one. You earn 4% cashback on dining and entertainment. We wanted this card solely for this purpose. I get 8% cash back on tickets at Vivid Seats. The rewards add up fast. I also get a food delivery credit each month!!

Scott Lyle

May 3rd, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One provides awesome service to card holders. Easy to use app, understandable bill statements and trustworthy when it comes to protecting your money. Very well run company.

Nick Savage

May 2nd, 2019 West Covina, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

100% Favorable! Every contact and dealing with Capital One has been professional and more than satisfactory.

Fabiola

May 2nd, 2019 Mesquite, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently open a credit card with capital one, but I am very happy with the customer service they offer.

Margaret Rose Bourlier

May 2nd, 2019 Watervliet, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One has been very good to me. I have had a couple charges that weren't mine and they immediately closed my account and gave me another. The only problem I had was having to wait to get the card in the mail before I could know what the number was.

Cynthia and Warren L. Stovell

May 2nd, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Upon sign-up, spend $3,000 in the 1st three months, and receive a $500 cash cash back reward! Great customer service experience!

Jim Bowen

May 2nd, 2019 Vero Beach, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Interest rates are not competitive; need to lower rates.

Cathe J Elton

May 2nd, 2019 Terrell, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have no complaints with Capital One. Whenever I've needed help, I've always had excellent customer service

Charlotte Giles

May 2nd, 2019 Salisbury, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Application process was quick and easy. Gave me my credit rating right away.

Mark

April 30th, 2019 Bellevue, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

overall, this is a great card. I have been happy with their customer service. I did have one mishap several years back where I paid my balance in full but it posted a day late. As a result, they posted a late fee which I did not know about for a few months. That said, I had a delinquency. I learned about it when I attempted to refinance my house and was told by my loan officer that my credit score dropped a bit. When I called Capital One to explain the situation, they offered no help. This has taught me to always quadruple check my balance to make sure all is paid off in full.

paul psoinos

February 14th, 2019 Berkeley, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have been a user for many years. Reliable, easy to work with.

Mickie Johnson

February 12th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been with Capital One for several years. They are excellent and have never had a problems with them maybe because I pay my bill on time!!

Erika Thorn

February 12th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been members of Capital One for a number of years and they are hands down the best credit card out there. We just took our boys on a trip and used our Capital One points. Double the points on every purchase. Can’t beat that.

Ava Rasmussen

February 12th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy to get approved. Customer service and billing is always quick and friendly. Lost my card and they took great care of me.

Brandie Rudy

February 12th, 2019 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great rewards, low interest rates, no annual fee. Everything that is attractive about a credit card. Opportunities to pay off higher interest rate cards as well. I have no complaints about my Capital One card or account.

Jeff B

February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very reliable credit card with great benefits. I have never had a problem with my Capital One card and with no annual fee it is very affordable to use. I have had great experiences with their customer service department. Overall an awesome card!