As the fifth-largest consumer bank and eighth-largest bank overall in the nation, Capital One offers banking services with a focus on helping consumers find financial success with credit cards.

Capital One offers credit cards for all credit levels, making it one of the most popular choices in the industry — no matter if you have bad credit or excellent credit, there are options for you.

Backed by positive customer reviews, getting a credit card with Capital One is a great option for whatever your financial need may be.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and verified Capital One reviews from real customers.

#2 American Express (Amex) chevron_right
#3 Discover chevron_right

The Good

• Variety of Cards
  • Cards for Bad Credit
  • Rewards
  • 0% APR Credit Cards
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Check
  • Fraud Safeguards

Variety of Cards

Capital One offers 19 different types of cards, allowing you to choose the best credit card based on your credit score, rate and fee preferences, and different rewards offerings.

Capital One seeks to provide a credit card option for every consumer. Those who are looking to rebuild credit can apply for a secured credit card, an offering that is not available with every credit card company. Those with excellent credit can choose from various cash back cards, or pick a rewards credit card, offering points or miles on airlines, hotels, or other travel expenses. Capital One also offers store credit cards for those with excellent credit scores.

Each credit card listed on Capital One's website lists the purchase rate, transfer information, annual fee, and credit level required for approval, making it easy to see at a glance what options might be best for you.

Cards for Bad Credit

Capital One offers a secured credit card for consumers with bad credit, or those trying to rebuild credit.

Secured cards require a security deposit, which becomes your credit limit. Capital One requires a deposit of $49, $99, or $200 for an initial credit line of $200. This secured card is unique in that the security deposit is refundable, and the customer will be automatically considered for a higher credit line after six months. The card does not have an annual fee, but the APR rate is relatively high, at least compared to regular credit cards, at 26.99 percent variable APR.

Rewards

For the majority of their cards, excluding secured cards used for building credit, Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders.

Rewards vary based on each card. It is important to note that some cards do not allow rewards, including cash back, on all purchases. Some cards, such as the Savor® Rewards and SavorOne® Rewards cards only offer cashback on dining and entertainment. It is important to read all details provided to choose the rewards card that will best fit your needs.

0% APR Credit Cards

Capital One offers credit cards with a 0% intro APR, which is not necessarily unique to this card issuer. For those with excellent credit, they can apply for a card that will not require interest rate payment for the first 12–15 months.

Consumers with poor to fair credit will not be approved for cards with a 0% APR offering, and can generally expect higher rates.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently. Instead, foreign purchases will be automatically converted at the foreign exchange rate at the time of payment processing.

Free Credit Score Check

Through CreditWise® by Capital One, customers can access and view their credit history at no additional cost, and with no ramifications to their credit score.
It is important to note that CreditWise uses a different credit scoring model than the commonly used FICO score model. Both models are based on similar key factors that lenders look at when considering you for a credit offer.

Fraud Safeguards

Customer security is Capital One's top priority. To protect a customer's credit card information, as well as bank account and debit card information, Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards. Its associates are required to complete security training, and there are systems and protections put in place to protect a customer's personal information, such as their social security number.

If your card is lost or stolen, Capital One has listed phone numbers that you can call for immediate assistance. Upon contacting Capital One, your identity will be verified before account information is discussed or shared.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers credit cards with no annual fees, but there are various cards that have a required fee. Annual fees range from $39–$95, which is significantly lower that other card issuers, such as American Express that has some cards with an annual fee of $250.

However, the higher the annual fee, the bigger the rewards that can be offered on that credit card.

Late Payment Penalties

Capital One charges a fee for late payments, which varies depending on the card.

The Bottom Line

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs, competitive APRs, and fraud safeguards. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place.

Eddie Rios

February 5th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One is one of my best credit card experiences. Capital One offered the best rate and line of credit and offered the best online options. The approval process was quick and billing is very simplified. Can't think of a better bank to work with!

Beverly Schacher

February 5th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been very satisfied with our Capital One credit card. They don't charge an annual fee, their customer service is good. It let's you get cash advances and is accepted almost everywhere.

Angelina Hamilton

February 4th, 2020 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really like this credit card! Everything it at my fingers tips. Every transaction I get a notification on my phone so I know what’s being charged. Scheduling payments are a breeze.

Ezequiel

February 3rd, 2020 Gaithersburg, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The capital one credit card has been a great value for me. The cash back is great. I had some trouble when my wallet was stolen abroad, but capital one made things very easy for me and helped save the vacation.

Lindsay

February 2nd, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital one has been good in the sense that i used their auto navigator to buy my car. I was able to negotiate on the terms I wanted . I have a credit card through them and they have increased my limit as they saw fit that I could pay.

Danielle Powell

January 31st, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The rewards on the credit card are nice; however, the late fee is crazy high. Representatives should have more ability to forgive a one time mistake

Truman_k

January 30th, 2020 Santa Rosa, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love our capital one adventure card. We use the air miles and I like the online portal. We will continue to use this credit card

JamieD

January 30th, 2020 Orange, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We’ve loved capital one as a company. They offer fun perks and the customer service has been great so far

chris Francom

January 29th, 2020 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Been with CapitalOne for a while. Great customer service and you can set up alerts to let you know anytime your card is charged. This has helped me monitor fraud.

Cam McClellan

January 29th, 2020 Magna, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a Capital One account for the online savings. It has a high yield which beats regular savings accounts.

Kayla Roecklein

January 27th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a credit card with this bank and the people are cool I would reccomend it

Karen Hartnack

January 27th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had this card customer service for issues exceptional I get a live person to talk to lots of perks

Kiersten Parker

January 21st, 2020 Jackson, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use this company for a lot of my personal purchases and I get points from them and it’s great

ChanceyParker

January 19th, 2020 Jackson, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have an emergency card and they do a great job at increasing the limit when I pay off on schedule.

SkylarPickens

January 17th, 2020 Houston, TX

I love Capital One! Best interest rate and never ever charges unnecessary fees! I love them!

Tiffany I

January 15th, 2020 Gaithersburg, MD

Capital One is the best credit card. Easy online system and approval process. Wish I could get more cards with them.

Matthew Hall

January 13th, 2020 Moselle, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Absolutely amazing. Have a great credit score and wonderful services provided by capital one!!!

Zac Cannon

January 13th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The card itself is great and I have a great credit line, but the interest rate is a bit wild. The card does get me out of a financial bind when I need to make an emergency purchase from time to time (gas at the end of the month, food, repairs, etc...).

Rebecca Harvey

January 11th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First credit card ever approved for and the only one I still use now. Capital one has great customer service and awesome low interest rates.

Angela Sims

January 9th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had this credit card for years and no complaints. Very easy to track payments on app and interest rate isn’t very high.

Claudina Moreau

January 4th, 2020 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital one makes it easy to raise up your credit line, help to protect your money, and is also easily accessible.

Jennifer schwaner

December 31st, 2019 Holtsville, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Pretty good, 2% cash back on purchases, wish it was more but I use the card often so I get some benefit from that 2%.

Jacob

December 30th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One has some of the best interest rates around. With an easy to use credit card and high security, you know your money is safe.

Val Loudenot

December 29th, 2019 Flower Mound, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One offers a great customer experience. Any time I've had to call them, they were always very helpful and took care of my issue quickly. I highly recommend this bank as it not only offers better saving rates, but it also thrives on ensuring their clients are happy with the service provided. I don't see myself going back to a brick and mortar bank at this point as I honestly do not see the added value.

Karen Shadle

December 12th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very unhappy with my last experience. An ad stated that I could apply for a credit card from them with interest rates from 14%-29%. My other card are 7.9% and 12.5%, as I have an excellent credit rating. When I called there was a LONG wait time. Customer service said anyone could apply on line and it would be faster. So, I did, was accepted immediately, BUT THE INTEREST RATE ASSIGNED WAS 28%!!! I couldn't talk to a real person to explain, and there was no way to refuse the card online. I would NEVER accept a card with a rate like that. I called customer service and they said they could do nothing about my rate, because it had been online. Cards came in the mail and I immediately cancelled them. NOBODY I was able to speak with had anything to offer me except the 28% interest rate for their card. Who in heck gets the 15% cards? They also wouldn't tell me that. Maybe it was all a lie and they were handing only high interest rate cards.?? Not doing business with them ever again.

Anthony GAUCI

December 12th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are awesome great customer service . there when you need them

Kenneth McWhorter

December 12th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had a good experience with them. I like how they work with the customer and their payment arrangements and how they offer a large variety of services.

Clark Yarbrough

December 12th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always willing to work with me on my payments and credit score.

Juan

December 10th, 2019 Beaver, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital one is a good company. I was a customer for about a year and I have no complaints. their online portal is easy to use.

BJ Tenney

December 9th, 2019 Woods Cross, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've never had an issue using my credit card. Their online login is easy to navigate and use. I can quickly see my rewards balance and am able to quickly view everything I need to from the dashboard.

Michelle W

December 4th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA

My husband and I opened a Capital One card for us to have a shared account when paying bills and for food. Things that we would normally split go here. That way it's fair. It's super easy to use, and we love it.

Roman Christiansen

December 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The Capitol One credit card is reliable and makes purchases much easier. The card was very accessible and I would recommend it!

TOG112

November 29th, 2019 Fayetteville, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Capital One QuickSilver as my prime credit card for several years. I have had a couple of disputes with merchants and they have handled these issues quickly and satisfactorily. I appreciate that Capital One provides a good exchange rate for foreign purchases without foreign exchange fee. Originally, I experimented with this card because it had a 1.5% cash reward. Now I have found a card that offers a 2% reward and I will try it. I pay my balance monthly and avoid interest and late fees.

Ariana Giles

November 22nd, 2019 San Antonio, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very disappointed we have asked for SCRA for my husband being in the service for over 7 years and they have not verified or even contacted us and the interest charges keep piling on

Monroe

November 17th, 2019 Little Rock, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital one Venture is the best. I’ve used rewards point to go to Maui 2 x in the last year. Love that they have Delta as one of their airlines when using rewards.

Nathan D.

November 15th, 2019 Warrendale, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This was my first credit card experience and helped me to build my credit. I haven't used the card in a while but make my monthly payments.

Genevieve Murdoch

November 15th, 2019 Tallahassee, FL

Great sales reps and customer service is always amazing. Never had a problem with them.

Kaydence Bonino

November 14th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have the spark business card from Capital one. Its awesome! We get 2% back in cash. Capital one also has great customer service. Favorite business card for sure!

Brenda Mertes

November 14th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

For some reason, I've found a lot of people like Capital One, but I have had problems with them for several months straight before I gave up and closed my account. The customer service was awful and they hardly gave any information that was useful. Transactions hardly went through smoothly. I would never recommend them.

Melanie

November 10th, 2019 Rio Rancho, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love my Capital One credit card! Signing up was easy, paying and checking balance is easy with the app, and customer service was great on the very few times I’ve had to use them.

Jon Posey

November 10th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

CO is quickly becoming my favorite CC. I have 2 cards now and love them. They have great features, good rates, and frequent promos.

Brittany Wilkinson

November 8th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been very happy with my Capitol One credit card. I try not to be late but on that occasional time that I have been late by a day of two, Capitol One has taken great care of me. I have really appreciated their customer service.

Tony

November 6th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Capital One card...I've had it for roughly four years and the cash back incentives and customer service is unparalleled. They even notify you of suspicious activity.

Crystal Edwards

November 5th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

Capital One has been amazing at monitoring our account for any possible fraudulent charges. They are very good at protecting their customers. We get texts and phone calls if there is anything suspicious.

Zac Marx

October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Capital One! With some of the best interest rates and cash back rewards on purchases, I use it almost everyday. Great credit cards and great savings accounts.

Sarah Watters

October 7th, 2019 Quinlan, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One credit cards come with all sorts of perks, from cash back to credit monitoring, it's a good card to have in your wallet. One benefit to cardholders is their pre-approved auto loan program. Easy, no-hassle process.

Amy Boren

October 6th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had this credit card for a little over a year. They were great to work with. We had an interest free offer and when we paid it off we cancelled the card.

Ellen Morris

October 3rd, 2019 Potomac, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am loving doing my banking with Capital One! They offered me a checking account with no annual fees and i can get credit cards with them without annual fees and no international fees. I travel quite a bit so this mattered a lot to me when I was searching for a new credit card and associated bank. Their app is also very easy to use and when I have gone into a unit they have ben very helpful and responsive.

Karen Jorgensen

October 3rd, 2019 Washington, UT

Love Capital One! We've been customers for over 20 years! It's been the best card for us to be able to use the points for whatever we want. I've used them for travel, new pots and pans, cash, and lots of other things over the years. I'm happy with their service and the one thing that has been a negative is in the beginning we were able to accumulate points quickly for flights, now they are more comparable to other airline cards in regards to how many points it costs for a ticket. But, I also realize that the cost of the tickets and overall expense of flying has increased in 20 years haha. We have no plans of changing our Capital One card.

Cassandra

October 3rd, 2019 Sunnyvale, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I started with a Capital One credit card (Venture) and have been so impressed that my husband and I moved all our banking to be through Capital One. Their mobile app is so easy to use, and they have ATMs everywhere.