Founded in 1994 in Richmond, Virginia, Capital One offers a number of financial services, including credit cards, banking services, loans, and investments.

#2 American Express (Amex) chevron_right
#3 Discover chevron_right

The Good

• Rewards
  • APRs
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score
  • Fraud Safeguards

Rewards

Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders. For example, the company offers the Quicksilver card, which gives members every tenth Uber ride for free, and the Venture card, which gives members two miles per dollar on all purchases.

APRs

For some of its cards, Capital One offers introductory APRs of 0 percent for the first nine to twelve months.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently.

Free Credit Score

Capital One provides its customers with the ability to view and monitor their FICO score at no additional cost.

Fraud Safeguards

Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards, including putting its associates through security training, putting social security number protections in place, and providing secure electronic funds transfers.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers a few cards that charge an annual fee of $0. However, this rate might only apply to the first year of the card, after which customers can expect a climb in annual rates.

Late Payment Penalties

Capital One charges a fee for late payments, which can vary depending on the card.

The Bottom Line

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs, competitive APRs, and fraud safeguards. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place.

Val Loudenot

December 30th, 2019 Flower Mound, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One offers a great customer experience. Any time I've had to call them, they were always very helpful and took care of my issue quickly. I highly recommend this bank as it not only offers better saving rates, but it also thrives on ensuring their clients are happy with the service provided. I don't see myself going back to a brick and mortar bank at this point as I honestly do not see the added value.

Karen Shadle

December 12th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very unhappy with my last experience. An ad stated that I could apply for a credit card from them with interest rates from 14%-29%. My other card are 7.9% and 12.5%, as I have an excellent credit rating. When I called there was a LONG wait time. Customer service said anyone could apply on line and it would be faster. So, I did, was accepted immediately, BUT THE INTEREST RATE ASSIGNED WAS 28%!!! I couldn't talk to a real person to explain, and there was no way to refuse the card online. I would NEVER accept a card with a rate like that. I called customer service and they said they could do nothing about my rate, because it had been online. Cards came in the mail and I immediately cancelled them. NOBODY I was able to speak with had anything to offer me except the 28% interest rate for their card. Who in heck gets the 15% cards? They also wouldn't tell me that. Maybe it was all a lie and they were handing only high interest rate cards.?? Not doing business with them ever again.

Anthony GAUCI

December 12th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are awesome great customer service . there when you need them

Kenneth McWhorter

December 12th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had a good experience with them. I like how they work with the customer and their payment arrangements and how they offer a large variety of services.

Clark Yarbrough

December 12th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always willing to work with me on my payments and credit score.

Juan

December 10th, 2019 Beaver, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital one is a good company. I was a customer for about a year and I have no complaints. their online portal is easy to use.

BJ Tenney

December 10th, 2019 Woods Cross, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've never had an issue using my credit card. Their online login is easy to navigate and use. I can quickly see my rewards balance and am able to quickly view everything I need to from the dashboard.

Michelle W

December 4th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA

My husband and I opened a Capital One card for us to have a shared account when paying bills and for food. Things that we would normally split go here. That way it's fair. It's super easy to use, and we love it.

Roman Christiansen

December 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The Capitol One credit card is reliable and makes purchases much easier. The card was very accessible and I would recommend it!

TOG112

December 3rd, 2019 Fayetteville, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Capital One QuickSilver as my prime credit card for several years. I have had a couple of disputes with merchants and they have handled these issues quickly and satisfactorily. I appreciate that Capital One provides a good exchange rate for foreign purchases without foreign exchange fee. Originally, I experimented with this card because it had a 1.5% cash reward. Now I have found a card that offers a 2% reward and I will try it. I pay my balance monthly and avoid interest and late fees.

Ariana Giles

November 22nd, 2019 San Antonio, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very disappointed we have asked for SCRA for my husband being in the service for over 7 years and they have not verified or even contacted us and the interest charges keep piling on

Monroe

November 19th, 2019 Little Rock, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital one Venture is the best. I’ve used rewards point to go to Maui 2 x in the last year. Love that they have Delta as one of their airlines when using rewards.

Kaydence Bonino

November 15th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have the spark business card from Capital one. Its awesome! We get 2% back in cash. Capital one also has great customer service. Favorite business card for sure!

Nathan D.

November 15th, 2019 Warrendale, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This was my first credit card experience and helped me to build my credit. I haven't used the card in a while but make my monthly payments.

Genevieve Murdoch

November 15th, 2019 Tallahassee, FL

Great sales reps and customer service is always amazing. Never had a problem with them.

Brenda Mertes

November 14th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

For some reason, I've found a lot of people like Capital One, but I have had problems with them for several months straight before I gave up and closed my account. The customer service was awful and they hardly gave any information that was useful. Transactions hardly went through smoothly. I would never recommend them.

Jon Posey

November 11th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

CO is quickly becoming my favorite CC. I have 2 cards now and love them. They have great features, good rates, and frequent promos.

Brittany Wilkinson

November 11th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been very happy with my Capitol One credit card. I try not to be late but on that occasional time that I have been late by a day of two, Capitol One has taken great care of me. I have really appreciated their customer service.

Melanie

November 11th, 2019 Rio Rancho, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love my Capital One credit card! Signing up was easy, paying and checking balance is easy with the app, and customer service was great on the very few times I’ve had to use them.

Tony

November 7th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Capital One card...I've had it for roughly four years and the cash back incentives and customer service is unparalleled. They even notify you of suspicious activity.

Crystal Edwards

November 5th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

Capital One has been amazing at monitoring our account for any possible fraudulent charges. They are very good at protecting their customers. We get texts and phone calls if there is anything suspicious.

Sarah Watters

October 8th, 2019 Quinlan, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One credit cards come with all sorts of perks, from cash back to credit monitoring, it's a good card to have in your wallet. One benefit to cardholders is their pre-approved auto loan program. Easy, no-hassle process.

Zac Marx

October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Capital One! With some of the best interest rates and cash back rewards on purchases, I use it almost everyday. Great credit cards and great savings accounts.

Amy Boren

October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had this credit card for a little over a year. They were great to work with. We had an interest free offer and when we paid it off we cancelled the card.

Karen Jorgensen

October 4th, 2019 Washington, UT

Love Capital One! We've been customers for over 20 years! It's been the best card for us to be able to use the points for whatever we want. I've used them for travel, new pots and pans, cash, and lots of other things over the years. I'm happy with their service and the one thing that has been a negative is in the beginning we were able to accumulate points quickly for flights, now they are more comparable to other airline cards in regards to how many points it costs for a ticket. But, I also realize that the cost of the tickets and overall expense of flying has increased in 20 years haha. We have no plans of changing our Capital One card.

Ellen Morris

October 4th, 2019 Potomac, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am loving doing my banking with Capital One! They offered me a checking account with no annual fees and i can get credit cards with them without annual fees and no international fees. I travel quite a bit so this mattered a lot to me when I was searching for a new credit card and associated bank. Their app is also very easy to use and when I have gone into a unit they have ben very helpful and responsive.

ValCar

October 3rd, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Cassandra

October 3rd, 2019 Sunnyvale, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I started with a Capital One credit card (Venture) and have been so impressed that my husband and I moved all our banking to be through Capital One. Their mobile app is so easy to use, and they have ATMs everywhere.

Jen

October 2nd, 2019 Clarks Summit, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the only credit card my husband and I use. We love how you can use points for buy plane tickets.

Sherry Arnold

October 2nd, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One is our only credit card and they've been great. We pay it off every month and when we've had any issues, their customer service has been extremely helpful.

Barry Henline

October 1st, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer service and online access is good. Fees and overall experience has also been good.

kristin Gneiting

September 30th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If you have just average credit not bad but not perfect this is the card for you. I get cash back on every purchase I make. I love this card because I can use some or even all of y rewards towards my monthly payment. It also gives you a backup for purchases made. The customer service is always excellent if I've run into a problem.

Ted Johnson

September 23rd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a Capital One credit card and the rate is good. They have a great rewards program. They have given me an increased credit limit as I show that I pay it back on time and I use my credit wisely. They also have great tracking and many options that I can use with it.

Madison Scott

September 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a horrible experience with Capital One during a fraudulent experience they were no help at all. In fact, at times I felt as if they were the enemy. There was a huge lack of compassion and understanding. With Capital One it is all about money not the human experience.

Rory Henrie

September 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I currently have 2 business credit cards and a personal credit card through capital one. I have really liked their security and notifications of possible fraud. I have had a card stolen and they took care of everything. I would definitely recommend.

Joy Hill

September 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use many different credit cards - Capital One has the best rewards. Love the 2% cashback they give for business owners. Wish they had a chat feature

Paula Henrie

September 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had a Capitol One credit card for years. No problems and good customer service.

Randy Scoville

September 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital One is the main credit card we use. The rewards cash back is one of the best I have found. Super easy to pay balance online and customer service is great!

Nancy

August 26th, 2019 Spokane, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was approved for Capital One MasterCard. I make all my payments on time. I always check my Capital One App. Just to make sure everything looks okay. Well on the 5th month l checked my Capital One App like I always do. And BAM 💥 I had been given a huge credit increase. My credit score has improved by over 100 points. I still have a ways to go with my credit score. My minimum payment due is less than $30.00 I do pay more than the minimum though. Also at all times make sure you keep enough credit to cover your interest. I keep $15.00 credit at all times on my card to cover the interest. I highly recommend Capital One.

Tracy Womack

August 8th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The Capital One Credit Card is so easy to use especially internationally! They have some of the best customer service, not to mention no international fees! I have had the best experiences with this company and I have suggested this credit card to all my friends.

Mazi Marcel Womack

July 22nd, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my capital one credit card. It is so easy to use and I love that they have no international fees.

Ms. Nancy

July 16th, 2019 Columbus, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent service! VERY pleased, especially when disputing charges, they take care of everything! No hassles, no additional stress. They've been GREAT!!

Joe

July 10th, 2019 North Hollywood, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They always have the best rates and offers in the market. I am so happy you exist. You make the market compatible.

Iva Welker

July 8th, 2019 Smiths, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They delivered on customer and the rewards.

Melissa Peterson

July 8th, 2019 Montague, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Wonderful customer service and services available.

Betta Bell

June 27th, 2019 Brentwood, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Their website is one of the best! Your payments are so easy to take care of with just several clicks...fast and efficient. Also, everything goes thru very quickly...doesn't take days and days to see on your account.

Melissa Cooper

June 27th, 2019 Sandpoint, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great card. Great company. No complaints.

Debbie Boyd

June 27th, 2019 Penns Grove, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

No problems per se. High interest rate that they never offer to lower

Shanae Boully

June 24th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love using my capital one card. The sad thing is the card I have does not have cash back but other than that I love it.

Jennifer

June 18th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Capital one is a great credit card Company. They are my go to when I travel. Love their service and mike points.