Straight Talk is a wireless service provider, branded similarly to TracFone and Wal-Mart carrier services. They offer straightforward pricing and are one of the lower-end, affordable phone providers. They offer different discounted rate plans, available in 30-day no-contract obligation service packages. Straight Talk is an exclusive brand that is made possible by the arrangement between TracFone and Wal-Mart. Straight Talk uses Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T’s GSM and CDMA networks. One of the nice things about Straight Talk is that some brands of phones are compatible from other carriers by replacing the SIM card. The list of compatible phones include: the iPhone, Nokia Lumina, LG Phoenix and Thrive, HTC’s Inspire, and the Motorola Atrix 2. Unfortunately, BlackBerry products do not have this cross platform compatibility.

Rank Chart
Straight Talk Logo
$45/unlimited
None
5.9

The Good

Straight Talk’s services closely resemble the message sent in their brand name. They provide a basic service with clear selling points that outline the exact service customers will receive. There are some limitations to their products and services, but Straight Talk is extremely transparent regarding what is offered and what is not.

Prospective customers can also “bring your own phone,” where a customer service specialist is going to give you a SIM card so that you can use Straight Talk’s service. So, if you have a phone from a prior carrier, there are instances where you can keep it and transfer it over. Customers can also purchase the SIM card and install it all on their own without a representative. Customers should double check which devices are compatible and what phones Straight Talk actually carriers because it is constantly changing and upgrading.

If you want to move your number over to Straight Talk, they make it easy to “port” your number. Keeping your same phone and number makes Straight Talk a great fit for many different customers. Unfortunately, there are some phones that cannot be fitted with Straight Talk’s SIM card. Customers appreciate the ability to install Straight Talk’s SIM card into an iPhone. That being said, some older iPhone 4 models might not be compatible with the SIM card. There are also no options for integrating BlackBerry into Straight Talk’s service at this time.

There are some limitations with other carriers prospective Straight Talk consumers should be aware of. Consumers have found that some AT&T phones might not be compatible with Straight Talk because of usability issues. For the most part, other carrier’s phones are compatible, but customers should double check before making the switch. Once confirmed, a majority of devices can be easily integrated into Straight Talk’s service.

Even though Straight Talk is affiliated with Wal-Mart, it is a separate entity of the retail chain. There are representatives ready to assist with questions and activation at Wal-Mart locations or online. Current customers have also been satisfied with the 4G LTE coverage that Straight Talk provides. While they don’t have their own network, Straight Talk utilizes T-Mobile, AT&T, and some of the best networks in the United States to provide the best possible coverage for customers.

Data is also available for smartphone users. The two higher-end service levels offer unlimited data for customers. The only difference between the higher-end service levels was that the top service level offers unlimited international calling and texting.

The “half-the-price” package also lived up to Straight Talk’s reputation. Straight Talk claims that the price of service is comparable to that of other contract and non-contract providers. There are some limitations to the half-the-price claim because this package does not include the cost of the phone.

It is also possible to pre-pay for more months of service with the Unlimited Plan. There are three additional service extensions with the Unlimited Plan. They include the following:

• Unlimited 3 months: $130
  • Unlimited 6 months: $255
  • Unlimited 1 year: $495

Customers can enjoy piece of mind by pre-paying for their phone service a year in advance. With other non-contract providers, you could only purchase service in monthly increments. You could, of course, load enough money onto your account to cover a year, but Straight Talk makes it easy to pay for your phone for as long as you’d like.

The Bad

There are some limitations with the Straight Talk services as well. Customers have experienced issues with dropped calls and lack of data service. This can be frustrating when a customer is trying to browse the Internet or make a phone call.

There are also some issues  with the data claims being labeled as “unlimited.” Customers actually get 3 GB of metered data for each 30-day service package that is purchased. When you go over the 3 GB limit, you have access to the data network, but your speeds are drastically reduced. Most customers say that the average customer needs 2 GB of data per month. With 100 MB of data on the low-end plan, you will likely use all your data quickly.

There are also concerns surrounding network redundancy with the number of other company’s networks that were used. Some of the dropped calls that have been reported may be a result of the shared networks with AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and other cellular providers.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Straight Talk can be an inexpensive carrier to use for basic cell phone services. They offer quality coverage that rivals the best contract providers. Straight Talk also lets you use your old phone from a different provider with a simple SIM card replacement that you or a service tech can perform. There are some concerns though about the “phone unlocking” policy that should be mentioned, however. If someone has given you their old phone, you will need their permission and the serial number. You should also check ahead of time to make sure that your phone is compatible to be fitted with a Straight Talk SIM card. All in all, Straight Talk consumers can expect the following:

• Pre-pay pricing
  • Data and speed restrictions
  • Quality coverage
  • Wide variety of compatible cell phones
  • Keep your number and phone

X close
X close

4 Straight Talk Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

January 18th, 2017

I have been a straighttalk costumer for almost 7 yes and never read had any problems until I had a problem
    I call the automated service to refill my time with my credit card. which I’ve done since I started using this company
    The system said that my card was denied which was impossible because I had more than enough funds to pay
    It then transferred me to a live operator who kept asking me for my card information although I kept repeating not to run it again because it was already done and looking at my bank statement online it showed the funds were taken from straighttalk
    She said it was only to confirm the information and then told me that it was denied again
    Needless to say I was upset and asked for a supervisor who spoke English
    After explaining it to the 3rd person on the line that said they could not do anything about it and that I need to speak with my bank
    So I called my bank who joined in on a 3 party call and explained that the funds did go through and provided a confirmation number
    The person on the line said that there was nothing they could do and transferred us to someone who could help
    This went on for almost 3 hours until they finally said the will submit a credit to my account if we provided them with all my personal and banking information and it could take up to 45 days
    Thankfully the person from my bank got tired of the run around we were getting and asked for their name and contact information and said they will dispute the charge and give me my money back
    I really had nothing but good things to say about straighttalk until this happened now I plan to find another company to give my business to because I feel that aftrr 7 yrs I should not have had to be transferred to 6 operators who didn’t speak English and still end up losing my money if it were not for the patient person helping me at first citizens bank “my bank”
    So good bye straighttalk I hope you get some English speaking representatives who can actually help your long term costumers and not lose them

2. User Score

December 14th, 2016 Huntsville, TX

Customer Service is applauling. Received broken new phone with someone else’s data on it. A so called straight talk manager informs me it came straight from the factory. Straight Talk do not care and are determined to stand their ground. I am considering cancelling all my services. The phone was a birthday gift for my son. Zero empathy. A disgrace.

3. User Score

November 11th, 2016

Straight Talks Customer service is a joke. They messed up on my phone service and would take no blame even after they told me the last rep failed to enter in my info correctly. All the calls are outsourced and the line cuts in and out as you talk to them….nice. I was an advocate for years but will definitely be changing carriers now. It all comes down to costumer service and this company offers little to none.

4. User Score

May 4th, 2016 Pompton Plains, NJ

Inexpensive can buy a sim for an unlocked cell phone of your own or buy a reasonably priced straight talk phone. Service was clear and had no issues. Monthly plans are prepaid and much cheaper than contracts.