Turo Logo

Key Details

• Airbnb Model for Car Rental
  • Availability in 300+ Airports and 4,500+ Cities
  • Rent a Unique Car from a Local Owner

Summary

Turo, formerly Relay Rides, is a peer-to-peer car sharing company that started in San Francisco, California in 2009. Similar to the Airbnb model, local car owners advertise and rent their vehicles to drivers who would prefer to avoid the standard rental car experience.

The company launched nationally in March of 2012 and is currently available in over 4,500 cities and over 300 airports throughout the United States. Turo is supported by top-tier investors, including August Capital, Google Ventures, Shasta Ventures, Canaan Partners, and Trinity Ventures.

Keep reading for the pros and cons of Turo car rental or skip to the Turo reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Variety of Vehicles Available
  • Simple Sharing Process
  • Rental Prices and Fees
  • Insurance Coverage

Variety of Vehicles Available

To cater to individual preferences, the company offers over 800 different car models to choose from. Renters can choose from cars, SUVs, minivans, trucks, convertibles, hybrids, and vans. One can also filter by rental period for long-term rentals, the vehicle make, features like all-wheel drives, and more.

Simple Sharing Process

Turo has an easy, user-friendly, and customizable rental sign-up. In order to sign up for car sharing, create a Turo account by simply signing in to your Facebook or email account.

The first time you sign up for a car, all you have to do is enter some general information, choose a car, rental date, and time. You can either decline additional insurance or purchase the Basic or Premium option, each with varying physical damage and liability protection.

In order to get the car and the keys, all the renter needs to do is meet the Turo host and show them their driver's license. Some owners will even deliver the car right to the renter. Returning the car is simple, as the renter just needs to return the car with a tank full of gas to where it was initially picked up.

Rental Prices and Fees

Turo rents vehicles priced approximately 35 percent lower than other car rental options. The price ranges depending on what car one gets. There is no membership fee and cars generally go for a flat rate of $40 per day.

In addition to rental fees, buyers may be charged fees for additional miles, parking tickets, and cleaning fees. To get the car's trip price, one must multiply the relevant trip rate advertised on the vehicle by the duration. There are also the following fees:

• Trip Fee — 10% of trip price
  • Protection Fee — varies by if one chooses a premium (40% of car's rate), basic (15% of car's rate), or the decline option
  • Young Driver Fee — 20% fee of the trip price for people under age 25
  • Delivery Fee — varies based on owner's settings
  • Airport Fee — 10% fee of trip price if the rented vehicle is involved in the Turo Airport Lot program

It should also be noted that payment information, including debit card and credit card payments, is made through the Turo app or website, not the rental host.

Insurance Coverage

With Turo, there are private and commercial hosts. When it comes to Turo's insurance, owners can either use Turo's policies or decline coverage to be eligible for a commercial, third-party insurance policy.

When owners decline Turo's insurance coverage, they are considered a Commercial Host. As such, they must have their commercial rental insurance policy verified by Turo prior to renting any of their vehicles.

Turo's originally offered three different tiers of protection for owners to choose from. The Premium, Standard, and Basic plans (available before July 1, 2020). All three plans came with $1 million in liability coverage and physical damage protection that covers the value of the car, up to $125,000. From there, the plans differ in host deductible, cost, and other amenities.

As of July 1, 2020 Turo offers five vehicle protection plans: the 60 Plan, 70 Plan, 75 Plan, 80 Plan, and the 85 Plan.

All five plans provide up to $750,000 in third-party liability insurance (offered by Liberty Mutual) and varying levels of contractual reimbursement (reflected in the plan names) from Turo for physical damage and theft. However, bear in mind that the level of available reimbursement will vary depending on the chosen plan.

We recommend consumers thoroughly read Turo's detailed terms and conditions for more information regarding Turo's car insurance.

Guest Protection

Just as you would when you rent a car with other rental car companies, before you complete your booking, you have to choose which protection plan you want for your trip.

If you choose a commercial host, then the host will provide you with options. None of the guest plans cover mechanical or interior damage.

If you already have personal insurance, Turo's coverage will supplement your existing coverage. Policies differ in the amount of liability insurance, deductible payment required, and damage protection. We recommend you refer to the company's website for detailed information on each plan.

The Bad

• Car Retrieval
  • Variable Restrictions
  • Availability Limitations
  • Caring for the Car

Car Retrieval

Since Turo does not operate with clients out of a specific agency, it utilizes car owners that do not use their cars on an everyday basis. Renters must meet the car owner personally in order to pick up the car. Renters may have to go out of their way to retrieve the car if there is not a Turo already at the airport.

Additionally, each renter must show the car owner his or her driver's license, which does have personal information that people may not feel comfortable sharing with a random person.

Variable Restrictions

Since Turo does not own the cars, rules and regulations are inconsistent. Some owners allow renters to drive 200 miles a day, while others allow only 100. Each owner has his or her own set of restrictions, so Turo does not have an overall list of rules for the available cars.

Availability Limitations

Turo does not offer cars in New York. People under 21 years of age cannot rent a car, and people under age 25 have to pay additional fees.

In fact, people under 25 may need to demonstrate at least two years of current U.S. licensed driving history, and potentially can only rent out certain cars because they are considered "high-risk."

Caring for the Car

One thing that is different about the Turo experience is that guests are expected to care for the car as if it were their own. So, if the exterior of the car is significantly dirtier or if it has junk food crumbles inside from a road trip, you have to take it through a car wash and vacuum it out before returning it. If not, you may be charged a cleaning fee between $30 and $250. This is a big difference between standard car rental companies and renting a car with Turo.

The Bottom Line

Travelers who want a cheap or out-of-the-ordinary rental vehicle will be satisfied with Turo's offerings. Users can choose the car model, location, and Turo host.

Finding a unique rental vehicle, on the low or high-end is made easier through Turo's growing community, where owners can use this portal to the sharing economy to make some extra money.

However, keep in mind that service is not available in New York or to potential customers under age 21, and people under age 25 must pay extra fees while renting.

Have you used Turo? Would you recommend it to a friend? Let us know by leaving a review below.

3.7

Chan Mississauga, ON

My experience was horrible they kept charging mt account with 257.00 fees and than another week goes by and i got a 58.00 fee i cancelled my account called my bank and im reporting and opening up a investigation into this is fraud i had to cancel my card so they could t kep going into my account this is rediculous im literally going crazy how pissed off i am

rac1 Austin, TX

If you're planning to rent your car on tour don't ever do it. I had my brand new car on the platform and my guest got it crashed like 400 miles away from my location, undrivable. Turo direct customer service doesn't exist! You are let on your own in case of an accident like the one that happened to my car. I filed the claim and they call me like 3 days after, totally unuseful as my car had already been towed to a safe place thanks only to my guest's private insurance. Stay away from Turo as host

Greg Rosenheck Port Orange, FL

I needed a car today on 11/13/22. it was supposed to be $43 a day. they took my CC and photo then after compleation they added a $15.00 Trip fee - Then if I declined to take their 3rd party insurance they added more money. The whole thing was going to cost $74.00 I decided njot to book. Also they are impossible to contact. There is no human contact with this company to hell with them.

Raluca Petrescu Bucharest, B

Horrible experience! I got planted a cigarette by the host at the end of the trip and gor charged for smoking. I got charged for parking outside my rental time- the host asked me to leave the car in an expensive airport parking because they couldn't pick up the car- I had free airport pickup as part of the offer I was given. I got charged, de-charged and charged again about all of this. I'm speechless. Please stay away from this.

cjordan Noblesville, IN

We scheduled a 2021 Toyota Corolla at 2:30 on a Friday through the turo website, and it wasn't until 1:20 AM on Saturday that we received an automated response telling us that turo is not responding, and we would have to make another request all over again. Suffice it to say my wife and I weren't going to put any further fate in a company with such a broken system. 2:30 on a Friday afternoon is perfectly reasonable to see a request come in on ones system, and then if you need to reach out to someone by phone to work something else out, then do it! Don't just not respond because some of us have schedules that we are trying to keep. Thanks for wasting our time.

Amelia Kracinovich GA

DON’T USE TURO! We rented a Turo to go out to the middle of nowhere for a wedding. Driving 70mph down the highway the engine light came on and we couldn’t get past 1st gear. WE WERE ON THE WAY TO THE WEDDING!! We had to call an Uber and beg them to pick us up on the side of the road. WE WERE LATE AND MISSED PART OF THE CEREMONY!!!!! The Uber cost us 85 dollars and to get back to the hotel we had to get a ride from the photographer at the wedding. The hotel was over 2 hours away and our Uber back cost us 200 dollars. We have spent countless hours on the phone speaking with Turo representatives who have failed to recoup any of these costs associated with the engine failure are even threatening to charge US for towing the car. We had the car for 24 hours and the car had over 100,000 miles. There has been no acknowledgement of the extremely dangerous and inconvenient situation we were placed in. The host did nothing to help the situation and the towing companies called us four different times despite relaying the information to Turo. TURO IS ABSOLUTE A HORRIBLE COMPANY WITH NO QUALITY CONTROL! Your car could break down at any moment and TURO WILL DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO ASSIST!! No replacement car, no covering of extremely expensive Uber rides. Just a huge headache and a huge cost! Go to a reputable rental car company NOT TURO!

Cynthia Loveday

If I could rate it a 0 I would ! I hope there is a lawsuit against this company asap and everybody they’ve lied on gets reimbursed for Turo and there car owners for making up lies to get extra money after you return the car! My trip was good up untill I dropped the car off! Before I dropped the car off I went and washed and vacuumed it and then I got gas straight across the street from where the guy told me to drop it off ! And I have a witness with me because I was new to the app I probably didn’t take as many pictures but I think they take advantaged of people like that because their system when you go through it it only advises you to take pictures around the car and odometer it and then it says if you want to add more pictures you can! But a few hours after I dropped the car off I got a message from the owner saying that I owed $24 and some change and that was a $10 charge for not filling the car up and then he filled the car up the rest of the way and it was $14 and something so me and him argued back-and-forth and I told him he was a liar and that was that and I said well we will leave it up to Turo thinking Turo would fix the issue but not let this go on so I go to use my bank card a few hours Later and noticed four knew charges totaling almost $300 from Turo so I called Turo hopeing they would help me fix the issue and at this point I was even willing to pay the $25 for the gas problem because after I went off on the dude I guess he added a $250 smoking charge and I don’t know what else but he never said nothing about that to me and I would have all the messages to show you but what Turo does is close your account after they charge you this money and you can’t go back and look at the messages that you and the hostess had For their protection this is so obvious what they are doing they do that on purpose and if you go back and look at all the other complaints on this page you will see that What I’m saying matches what they’ve all said I’m not the only person that says that this is such a scam and it is so ridiculous I thought this was a good app like I was talking so good about this app up until all this happened ! And the funny thing is and I know everybody says this but I really do not smoke I have never smoked my whole life I mean I can go back and get all of my medical records and prove to them that I am not a smoker what do you think Touro even gave me the time a day or the understanding or any leniency no they’re getting rich off of ripping people off and it should be against the law ! how is such a big company getting away with this! I’m supposed to go to my bank and they’re going to dispute it but I’m sure I’ll still be stuck paying it because Touro has a sneaky way and I even told the guy man I wish I had my messages I even told him those pictures that is not what that car look like it’s like he went and poured sand in it or something I swear to God and like I said I had somebody with me and they can tell you that car did not look like that! Yeah paying the money Made me mad because it was lies lies lies and after I told him off about the $25 then he adds $300 more and Turo just letting him do it! What made me more mad was the fact that I tried my best like who I don’t even know if does normal people go vacuum and wash the car before they return it but I did because I feel like we are dirty to little bit and then we put the gas in it right across the street didn’t even drive one minute across the road so when he messaged me about the gas it kind of Made me mad because I felt like he was so totally lying he had another car there he could’ve put that gas in there and use that receipt I don’t know but there’s some fishy stuff going on and it just made me mad because I had tried so hard to do the right thing and then he has this person that just keeps adding charges and make an applause in the company is backing them up I’m sure they get a percentage of it or something there’s some reason they back them up so much please if anybody’s a lawyer look into this I’m telling you this is not legal this is so illegal and it’s unfair All I wanted to do was go see my son in the Air Force and I get back to this

Divine Starr Springfield, PA

If I could do zero stars I would We signed up for Turo to give it a try, our car recently broke down and we had an appointment we had to get to. We scheduled with host Lakia in De. With her Chevy Traverse. (horrible horrible host who lied and completely ruined everything) less than 2 hours before the car was scheduled to be delivered host claims cancelled claims she was out the country and "lost" her phone and somehow miraculously found it in time to cancel prior to scheduled delivery. At this point we have already paid fully for our rental. After being inconvenienced by this host, who was passively aggressive in her horrible service, we contact Turo, who turns around and says now we have to go through another verification. We were ALREADY SCHEDULED PAID FOR ABD BOOKED! After telling Turo at this point this is illegal and scammy they denied my husband who was already previously approved, said it was due to him having a criminal background!!! More lies from this company, He has never as so much got a parking ticket! He has no points on his DL, however this company lied scammed and did not return our money right away! How do you do a criminal background check on just name an DOB with a person with an extremely common name! After spending over 3 hours trying to get a rep on the line who knew what they were doing I had to get my lawyer involved! This company and their host are the worse! Do not I repeat do not waste your time or money, an if you do by all means avoid host Lakia in Delaware with the 2013 Chevy Traverse! Worse experience, the company and the host all lie!!! Could not provide any proof to this alleged criminal record or DL issues. Completely totally lies, instead of penalizing their lying unprofessional host they turn around and do the same thing! My lawyer is still involved.

Nikki

Do not rent from Turo. You’re expected to fill up tires and maintenance cars with no consideration on how this impacts your time or plans for the day. After trying to go to a gas station to fill up tires (safety notification appeared), and taking it to a discount tire all on my own time - either the platform or the host had the nerve to charge me a $10 convenience fee to fill up .25 of the tank that was used. Mind you, the host didn’t bother to take their time to actually fill up the car and provide the car with a full tank of gas to begin with. This on top of a safety alert regarding the gear shifts ability to move without being unlocked that also resulted in me using my personal time to troubleshoot. Without question we returned the car immediately, and then I spend two days going back and forth with customer service. They don’t give ticket numbers, or read their notes so you have to re-explain the entire issue each time you call back. The customer service number dropped my call multiple times. I invested a full day of my personal time fighting for a refund. Without even so much as a “sorry for your inconvenience” for the host. My host was rude, and not detailed or customer service oriented, and Turo customer service is off shored and disorganized. Stay far far away.

Billye Snow Spring Valley, CA

I want to give 5 plus stars to the host I’ve met!!!! Wonderful beautiful people!!! On the other hand I can’t begin to tell you about: Customer service deserves negative 1!!! They lost my business and six of my family members for what they did to us.

Jonathan Adcock Gainesville, FL

unbelievable poor service. Tried signing up for Turo today. had issue with the app. tried customer service online and after speaking with 3 different online support personnel, they told me they would have to continue this via email, and I would hear from someone within 24 hours. I also tried calling the help phone #. Whatever you do, don't press "2". it does nothing. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. oh, and then hangs up on you a minute later. This company is not ready for the general public. Too many companies think they have a good idea, but have no operational experience in supporting nationwide operations. they need to shut down and go back to the drawing board until they learn how to do it properly.

GeV Madari Las Vegas, NV

Please avoid ever booking with Turo. Worst and scariest experience I have ever had booking a car. We rented a vehicle last week. Made sure to document all damages during checkin. A soon as you hit 60mph the vehicle would shake barely controlable. The vehicle was not safe to drive. When we returned the vehicle the host claimed the same windshield damage which was included with pictures in our checkin process. When we disputed the host got vengeful and claimed smoke damage as well with no proof of smoking. We thought we would be okay because Turo wouldn’t stand for such a scam. Needless to say, Turo immediately blocked my account and began unlawfully charging my credit card. Their only response was we trust our host and provided zero proof or explanation. After multiple fraudulent charges we had to make a report to our creditors. Turo will never help the guest, be prepared for more hidden fees after the end of the trip. We feel completely scammed. All the pictures before and after did nothing to help. Turo didn’t even care to review them. “Our decision is made” and nothing you say will change that was their response to a multiple 5 star guest.

Jordan Christley Houston, TX

DO NOT LIST YOUR CAR ON THIS PLATFORM. THEY ARE PREDATORS, AND THEY DON'T HAVE YOUR BACK. I have been a host twice. The first time things were so-so. Didn't make a profit, but I did cover the car note. The second time... My truck got damaged on the FIRST TRIP. I got $50 in exchange for.. - $20 for a car wash - $80 for a tracker - 2 hours to prepare the car - TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS FOR SOMETHING THAT IS NOT MY FAULT That's right. Somebody damaged my car on the first trip through no fault of my own, and Turo IS CHARGING ME $250 (w/ their 75% plan) Let me explain why this is so wrong: 1. Turo is their own insurance company. 2. They double charge for insurance. They charge you for insurance, then also the guest. (and they also charge the guest MORE fees behind the scenes) So, that means they keep my 25%, PLUS charge the guest for insurance, essentially having TWO insurance policies per trip. But if something happens, they charge BOTH of us a deductible. I lost money renting my car out, and now I have extra stress and financial troubles. And Turo couldn't care less. Anything to make a profit. p.s. In the response, they told me I should have got their 60% plan in order to not pay anything. Give Turo 40% of your money, (plus what they charge the guest) so you can... 1. Pay ALL costs related to the car 2. Pay for an insurance policy of your own 3. Coordinate with guests 4. Get the car washed 5. Get the car ready 6. Coordinate a drop off point. 7. Handle anything else related to it. If you add up ALL of the money that comes out of the guests pocket, you're getting LESS THAN HALF. While you do 95% of the work, and put up 100% of the investment. I used to encourage people to get on the platform. But you have no power if things go wrong, and Turo can't wait to screw you over for a few more dollars. Don't work with these vultures.

locoma Harris Atlanta, GA

I had a very bad experience with Turo. I received and email from them two days after my trip stating the Host said, I smoke in the car. I am not a smoker. Never smoke a day in my life and my Turo closed my account immediately. I could not send any proof of conversation the Host and I had had about removing the complaint, because my account was closed. I want back in fourth with Turo for 2 weeks trying to fix this issue and they did their investigation and said, the Host had evidence of ash in the back corner on the floor. I seen the pic and clearly that was put there by the Host for more money. I never took a pic of the inside of the car. The car was giving back like they gave it. I even explain to Host when I return car that it make a loud noise when you turn the car on and once you drive the car it goes away. I told them I will not complain to Turo, because it still driver. But, to look into it. After all the good Samaritan I get charge with a smoking valuation. They may have thought i was going to report that. What are the odds. I could not even get a courtesy from Turo to remove this one time and now they send me to collections. Please people take pics of inside and out of the car, floor and all. The Host can get money out of if the want and they know how to do it.

Brittany White Leland, NC

"Rented" a Turo vehicle in June 2022 to see family in Chicago. Initially the car was great, host communicated well and I left her with a great review. Upon completion, I received an email days later that I had been charged a smoking fee of $250. I received no warning, only an image that proved nothing. Knowing Turo's STRICT policies- we never smoked in the vehicle. I wrote to the host to try to clear up the confusion with no response. Turo would not allow me to dispute or appeal the claim, stating their decision was final based on the very weak and circumstantial evidence. They charged the card on file automatically. After numerous emails they still ignored my questions and concerns. I have never had any issues prior to this. I also find it very interesting that the allegation was made AFTER I gave the host a good review. Turo closed my account with complete disregard. I do not recommend their services as their customer support is poor and they do not give you the opportunity to fight back. Whatever the host claims is final and can not be reversed. Shame on you!

Brandon Felton Los Angeles, CA

I'm.Begging please just don't do it. It's to much risk with very little upside. I'm being asked to pay for damage that I didn't put on the car and my credit card refuses to pay because they say it isn't a rental. Now I'm expected to pay. Just don't do it. American express doesn't cover damage to the car. If the host lies and fabricated a damage claim you will be responsible. Also I booked a car at the airport unfortunately my host sent an Uber because the car wasn't at the airport because toro isn't allowed at the airport.

Gianna Austin San Francisco, CA

Turo was once great to me intill yesterday when I tried to book a car and it wouldn't let me I was on the chat since 1pm yesterday intill 6pm and nothing got resolved mind you I had a 9am appointment I had to be at this morning still can't book a car. Everytime I ask for manager they give me the run around or say someone will email you it's been a whole day I still haven't gotten an email. I missed my meeting because of this. I just hope I still have a job. All because the Turo team couldn't do there job. I wanna report all the workers I spoke with I would never rent from them ever again!!

Chi Lo Santa Clara, CA

Turo is a lame app. I rented a car and the car could only speed up to 25-30 mph, and the car has extreme noise and odor. I couldn’t drive it onto the highway for my own safety so they charged me 70 extra fee for that. And the customer service was extremely bad too. Turo support wasn’t any support, they just bring you another pain email with them. It look me a month and the problem wasn’t solved. And the host was very hostile she even threatened me. I got charged twice for the trip ! What a lame app causing me trouble and lost of money ! What a scam ! Turo is all about taking your money and not about giving you good experience !

Thomas Endres Greeley, CO

Avoid Turo. Rented a car in CA and our host accused us of smoking. WE DO NOT SMOKE. We were charged $257 and my wife's account was canceled. No opportunity to defend ourselves. After doing multiple customer service "chats" (what a joke; they kick things "upstairs," and upstairs just gives you the IDENTICAL form letter reply each time), we finally encountered an agent who emailed us "the proof." The host had made a fake text conversation using an app which made it appear my wife admitted to smoking. What a farce. We have submitted print outs from iCloud (which cannot be altered) of all her texts with the host. Obviously, the fake conversation isn't there. But Turo won't even look at the document. Just the same "we've made our final decision" form letter. I'm almost embarrassed for them as to how incompetent they are.

keeblero San Diego, CA

I would give negative stars if I could... They allow hosts to lie, defame and ripoff guests and do not have the proper customer service protocol in place to protect guests from unwarranted claims and charges. In my specific case, I was charged for their non-smoking policy which I understand - I don't like cars to be smoked in either and respect that policy. Upon returning my car, my credit card was automatically charged for $257.50 for violating the no smoking policy which I 100% did not. I was not even told of the acquisition prior to charging my credit card and then I received an email with subject "About your refund request (Trip 16818928)...which at that point I was not even aware of the charge....let alone requesting a refund. In photos attached to the email, it shows a couple small pieces of fresh, not burnt, green cannabis plant material. There was no ash, burnt joint left behind, smoke film on window, used cigarette lighter, or anything else proving the car was actually smoked in, which I unequivocally stand by saying the host is lying and Turo substantiated the lie that I smoked in the car. Plant material does not prove smoking whatsover. At best, it could lead someone to suspect it. Turo customer support is absolutely terrible too. I emailed right away 3 times in the first day and tried to contact via the chat option, but it was not working. Finally over 72 hours later I received an email saying their decision was final and I was kicked on Turo. I am fine not being able to use Turo again - I absolutely will never use them again....however, what really frustrates me is that this is a common occurrence and they do not have the proper customer service or measures in place to prevent fraudulent claims from being made and substantiated. In my case, if one can not have marijuana in the car, they explicitly need to list that in the terms and conditions under the no smoking policy. Additionally, they need to have a much more robust customer service response protocol to help guests out and they absolutely need to allow disputes..prior to automatically charging ones credit card. I included this entire complaint hoping that it prevents others from dealing with the same hassle and feeling like they were cheated, lied to and stolen from What out for this - I have seen numerous reports on social media saying the same thing about allowing hosts to make false claims

Paul Spotts Denver, CO

TURO will not cover you, if your renter goes off-roading in your car. Make sure to take pictures /videos of your undercarriage before every trip. NO, TURO Is not worth this hassle. We lost an $8000 car and claim for damages, because we didn't have pictures. But we had dirt and now a total loss on our car. Arbitration was a joke, you should contact TURO to opt out on sign up. Doesn't matter that we have a huge physical damage to our car transfer case from a rock being hit. Doesn't matter that the mechanic believes the damage is from off-roading and we have never gone off-roading. Doesn't matter that the car worked fine before the trip and they drove it 800 miles. TURO will screw you over. So take the video/photos or don't use TURO.

Sidewalk Homes Livermore, CA

Car was fine. Owner asked if I wanted to receive it unwashed (1 hour after scheduled time) or 30 minutes late unwashed. As we were at the airport, we chose to get it unwashed. No problem. After returning, we were notified the next day that an additional $150 was to be charged for 'excessive sand.' There was a little sand in the car when we returned it - we were in Hawaii for a week, ya think there'd be any sand in the car? 5 minutes of vacuuming and it's good to go, AND don't car rental companies have to clean/disinfect during Covid times? To charge $150 for this is a ripoff and feels like they are just trying to make extra money from us - and the car rental fee for 7 days was over $1000. Do NOT use Patrick in the Lihue airport location, he will likely rip you off too!

Christina Baillie Edinburgh, EDH

Turo is fine until something goes wrong. Then Turo and the Host will not lift a finger to help the Guest and will leave the Guest thousands out of pocket, which is what happened to us in Alberta, Canada. I was left stranded on the side of a major highway in the blistering heat for seven hours, yes seven hours! A tire blow out happened which I then engaged turo roadside assistance on. Roadside assistance were useless, to put it mildly. Could not figure out how to book a tow truck. The host did not care, did not help. Finally turo roadside assistance agreed for me to book a tow then send the invoice in for reimbursement. Of course now turo are refusing to reimburse, despite agreement on a recorded phone call with turo - they flat out refuse. I have emailed, called, explained the situation a million times but all I get back are stock emails; asking me to prove an agent said they would reimburse and even threatened me when I said I would be escalating the situation! Supervisors will never call back, still waiting on my call back and its been 2 weeks. Turo have charged my credit card with bogus charges which I am disputing with my credit card. Turo then emailed me to say disputing their charges is in violation of their terms of service so have restricted my account. Well fraudulently charging my credit card isn't right! Honestly do not ever humour the idea of using turo - if turo doesn't screw you over the host will. The Guest is liable for everything regardless. Hosts lie about damage - our host decided to change not only the tire that blew, but all remaining tires and decided he would bill me for the whole whack! I am so disgusted with the whole company, no doubt there is fraud happening everywhere in that company. Stay away from Turo!!

Charles Semine Head of Westport, MA

I used turo for the first time starting on 7/25/2022 with my husband. We used the car to drive my 84 year old mother around post a car accident for which she was hospitalized. We had been very happy with the rental and returned it on time with more gas than we had received on check in and ready to give high marks and be repeat customers. We were then notified that the host reported cigarette ashes in the car and we are being charged a penalty and kicked off the site. We do not smoke, we hate the smell of smoke, and we were not even around anyone who smoked over our stay. We were given no way to appeal this, no one to contact, and are completely flummoxed at this business model which would allow anyone to up charge by hundreds of dollars by dropping their own ashes into the car. The customer is then immediately kicked off the site and given no way to appeal. I guarantee you no one smoked in that car or anywhere near that car or before or after entering that car. We are incensed at the false accusation and charge and will never use this site again. We travel very often to see family and rent cars very often. I am reporting this treatment to as many review sites as I can and to the Better Business Bureau.

Esther Romanov Citrus Heights, CA

I have rented through Turo many times before and am disappointed with the Turo customer service. I had a promo code from Turo sent to my email and stating that when I rent again, that I will get one free day with them. I clicked on the promo code to book a trip, but it was not working. I contacted support before even booking the trip for some help with the promo. Turo customer support assured me to book the car and Turo will refund the trip, since the promo was not working. I booked the trip and when the trip ended, Turo support stated they will not give a refund. They had the proof of a conversation I had, with Turo support and still decided not to do anything. I have booked a total of five trips with Turo, each for about 7 days. I enjoyed using the app and always have an easy booking with the host. The host's are friendly and very helpful. The issue is with Turo Reprensitive and the company having poor customer service.

Lilly Glendora, CA

I really want to put no star, but this system of course forces you to give at least a star to post a review. Customers beware TURO allows its hardworking well-paying customers to be ripped off by some of their host. This company does nothing to protect the paying customer. Host are using their position to commit fraud and rip off insurance and the customer. I hope there will be a class action suit against TURO very soon because I know we are not the only ones taken advantage of by a host. The host in particular first tried BLACKMAIL he wanted $500 cash app to him to make it all go away, and when we declined to do that, he began making a series of fraudulent claims. He put ashes in the car took pictures and said there was smoking damage. that's a lie because my husband does not smoke, then he said the tire was low and now the vehicle needs a brand-new tire. We suspect he just let the air out took a picture of his dash and made a claim. Oh, and to add insult to injury now he has some body damage claim. This is ridiculous!! After doing some research I am learning that people know TURO won't really investigate their lies and Turo will pay out these claims' top dollar to the host, so certain host scheme and scam to get paid off unsuspecting customers. I am not saying that all host are doing this, but Turo needs to understand that this becoming well known as a loophole that scammers will use to take advantage of the customer and Turo needs to do a better job of vetting these hosts and listening to as well as protecting their customers. I am sure there will be many more customers writing and complaining and eventually pursuing legal means to stop this blatant customer abuse.

Luv light Houston, TX

Absolutely ridiculous!!! This shareride platform is not set up for host who simply want to make passive income.. I currently own several vehicles that I no longer drive. A few years back I was a passenger in a car accident that let me traumatized, therefore I no longer drive or sit in the front seats. When my license expired I didn’t renew it because I have a driver. Moving forward I decided to list my vehicles on Turo only to find out a HOST is required to have a active drivers license! This makes absolute no sense. When enrolling Turo gives you the option to upload a license, passport or other form of government ID. However, once I completed enrollment and listing my vehicle I later received an email asking for my drivers license. Why? If you allow other forms of ID to verify identification and a host is NOT driving anyone around obtaining the host drivers license makes no sense especially if a vehicle is fully insured and registered in their state. Some people just want the luxury of making passive income without leaving their homes. Who came up with this system? Once again another platform discriminating against people who are suffering from anxiety due to a traumatic experience. No license therefore you aren’t welcomed as a host!!!!! Thanks Turo

Juliana Toala

Do not do business with this company. They let people smoke in your cars and do absolutely nothing to resolve things. My car is absolutely ruined and theyve done nothing except put the burden me

EDWARD WEIYE (osmoEddie) Ottawa, ON

Only email contact available to reach customer service. Easy to send email to ask question and got response say someone will get back to you in couple of day; but no one will get back. They are working from home and hiding behind computers.

emma cheng Toronto, ON

Host informed me that the car should have been canceled last weekend, however, I was not informed about this until AFTER I messaged him (nearly a week later). So, if I had not messaged him to confirm, I would have been stranded at the airport without a way to get to the place I am staying, and Turo never contacted me at all about this cancellation. This is absolutely unacceptable. In addition to not being told about the cancellation until the day before my trip, I was also provided with no viable alternative options and only given $180 travel credit, which is not nearly enough to cover the difference I will have to pay to book a car last minute. Even with the travel credit applied, a new car booking would still be significantly more expensive than the car that was canceled on me, and the car I found has fewer reviews and trips, thus causing me more uncertainty. This credit does not even begin to acknowledge the stress and anxiety I have had to deal with in the past few hours. My situation was completely brushed aside. I, and anyone else who asks me about it, will not be using Turo again unless I am in a desperate situation like the one I was forced into today. I wouldn't want anyone I know to have their trip ruined by careless customer support practices.

Mira K Bend, OR

The initial rental booking went smoothly. Then unexpectedly, our flight was cancelled so, logically, I changed our Turo reservation immediately so the host would not be inconvenienced. Because ur reservation was adjusted by a day, we were suddenly charged an additional $70 delivery fee which was originally waived because our trip was 7 days. Somehow, this translates to costing more for one less day. When I reached out to Turo customer service, I got on a two hour roller coaster ride of customer service messaging on their app leading to calls to a service center that looped back to links to the billing department. Eventually, we were told that the only way we could avoid the additional charge is by asking the host to send us a message to waive it and taking a screen shot of that message. Talk about crazy and unprofessional! We will never get that time back and will obviously never use Turo again.

Dino Haak Seattle, WA

This is our experience: Our first vacation since Covid with a planned agenda of visiting our 97 year old aunt in Long Beach for 5 days and then going on a sightseeing trip to Death Valley. We rented a Fiat 500. The car (which we only used for about 150 miles) started displaying an airbag failure warning on day 5, so we alerted Turo and they arranged a backup car for us so we could continue on to Death Valley. Figuring out the logistics took more than two hours of phone conversations and waiting on hold that day. The second car, also a Fiat 500 - provided by a different host - broke down on us on the first day in Death Valley. Luckily we had pulled over at one of the resorts that also had a adjacent car repair shop. After running several tests the mechanic determined that we were dealing with a failed battery and that it could not be recharged, so anytime we made a stop and turned off the car, we would not be able to start it again. After another two hours on the phone with Turo and finally being taken care of by one of their supervisors, we found out that Turo could tow the car and set us up with another backup car provided by a local host (near Death Valley and probably from Pahrump, NV). However, per Turo rules, the car can only be dropped off at the same location as it was picked up. Regarding my question how we would get back to Los Angeles, since we had to drop off the car again in the Death Valley region, the supervisor had no solution. He said Turo provides a maximum of $60 worth of Uber vouchers, but there would be no other way to get us back to LA using a Turo car. The supervisor admitted to the dilemma and gave us permission to have the car checked and fixed so we could get back. The Death Valley mechanic could not replace the battery since he had none in stock and Turo roadside assistance were not willing to deliver a battery to our location. They only tow or jump start cars. At this point we had spoken with two separate supervisors who both were extremely sorry for the inconveniences we suffered and agreed that our options were limited and that this was not ok. Though neither could help us in this case. So we had our car jump-started and drove ourselves all the way to Pahrump, Nevada through Death Valley with a failed battery. A 112 mile round trip. We contacted the host and let her know that her battery failed and informed her about all the details involved since we were under the impression Turo and their hosts are one and the same company (more about that at the end of the review). We spent $225.95 on a brand new battery. We have not been reimbursed to this day. When we arrived back to Seattle from our trip we found a charge on our account for $19 for going over the allotted mileage. A) We had to drive an extra 112 miles to get to the closest place that had a battery replacement and B) we booked a car for 10 days at 200 miles per day. With receiving a backup car the mileage started over, so for the 4 days on the backup car we lost over 1000 miles of the overall booked 2000 total since we only used the first car for about 150 miles. Eventually this charge was refunded. However at the cost of us spending at least another two hours on the phone with agends and on hold to have it resolved. We also found that our host had sent us a very unkind message on the Turo site that she had to spend $80 to have her car checked since we reported the battery and brake issues. She claimed that the brakes were brand new and that was the reason why they made creaky sounds and rattled the car when you pushed them. Note: We never met the host herself since one of her friends dropped off / picked up the car. The host also left a slanderous review on my Turo account accusing me of "hitting my own children behind the corner" (? I don'have children btw.) and that I alledgedly tampered with her headlight. The right headlight did not work when we returned the car. We pointed this out to the person who picked up the car (who wasn't the host). Since we never drove the car at night (and only drove in the dusk one time) we did not notice. The light might have been out from the very beginning. My responses to her were always very civil and polite. What set her off was the fact that Turo required her to have her car checked (which cost her money). She fabricated several other points in her review and we will now have to have Turo remove it. We have all this in the messages on our Turo site. If a Turo agent took the time to read through the messages (that was our only form of communication with her) and the hosts review they will see the false statements that were made. We were promised a refund via a voicemail by one of the supervisors right after we returned on May 17th (we have it on file still). After nothing happened for a week I contacted Turo again and they then promised the refund within 24 hours in writing on May 24th. Nothing. In the meantime I had to travel to Europe for three weeks and did not have time to deal with Turo from over there. When I got back I made three more attempts to be reimbursed, two times I was told again that the refund would be there within 24 hours and the last time, just a couple of days ago, the Turo agent told me that the Executive team "still had not made a decision on the refund". In the meantime Turo first billed the first host for the battery that we bought for the car of our second host. I contacted Turo to make them aware of their mistake after our first host was stuck on the phone with them for over an hour to try and resolve that it was not his car that needed a battery replacement. Turo then posted on my account page that they would be charge ME for the $225.95. We got charged for the battery that we had paid for out of pocket (mind boggling!). We had to put our credit card on hold so the charge would not go through. Yesterday we contacted a lawyer for guidance. And today I am starting to submit our experience to review sites and the social media. We will also be reporting this to the California Attorney General office. I have no more patience. Here are the key points: Turo sent us out in car with a failed battery and brake issues. We do not believe that the issues came from the brakes being brand new. This could have ended up potentially very dangerous for us since we had to cross Death Valley in a compromised car (and yes, Death Valley is one of Turo's advertised destinations in the region, see the offical site). Turo's regulations do not allow to drop off a car in a different location than where it was picked up. If you drive a distance away from your pickup location and anything happens to the Turo vehicle you rented, Turo can provide you with a backup vehicle, but you will need to drop it off where you picked it up. Turo does not have a solution on how to get you back to your starting point. It does not appear that Turo reliably knows the condition of the cars provided by their hosts. The car we rented had an old reconditioned battery in it (as confirmed by the host in writing) that failed us. We spent 15 hours total on the phone with Turo since. This is the combined time of speaking/ texting with agents and being on hold. We have copies of our phone records and all the Chat emails and screenshots. The Turo agents all were trying to be very helpful, I have to give them big points for that. But they could not help us because of the above mentioned Turo regulations and because the executive billing team was unresponsive. I asked to speak with an agent over the phone a few days ago, but Turo has changed their contact options. You cannot talk with an agent over the phone directly anymore. It is beyond frustrating to have a company just not respond when it comes to an owed and promised reimbursement. I also do not believe it is safe to drive Turo provided vehicles. I am sure there are many good, responsible hosts out there (like our first host) that take care of their cars and care about their guests, but the fact that we were sent out with a potentially dangerous vehicle leads to the assumption that there may be many more cars in their fleet out there that have not been appropriately checked for road worthiness. I would also urge Turo to check the remaining fleet of cars our host has with them. She claims to have 13 cars total working for Turo. And if a Turo representative reads this, the reservation number associated with this review is 14933768. You will see that all that I stated here is correct and has been reported to Turo several times.

Steve M Hicksville, NY

We got charged an extra $150 for a slight amount of sand in the car and for having some sunscreen smudges on the passenger side door on the inside. Keep in mind we rented the car for eight days during the summer in...Hawaii. The website specifically says that renters do not need to run the car through a car wash. Given that the car owner should expect to have to wash the car after a week and that the work needed to remove the sunscreen and sand shouldn't take more than five minutes, this extra charge is a clear cash grab by the owner that was backed up by Turo. The upshot: Go with a real car rental company to avoid getting nickel and dimed.

Robin Oclassen Tucson, AZ

I was referred to Turo thru a friend. I decided to create an account to book a rental for an upcoming event I had scheduled. I submitted all the required information and received a notice that my account was under review. I was immediately curious as to why since I had checked the requirements before applying and found that I met all the criteria. Two days later- I was still under review so I decided to chat and find out more information, The agent had no information to give me and only forwarded my account to another department. I was told I would get a 2 hour response time. The next day I heard nothing so I once again reached out to chat support. I was told once again that they would send my account for review and I will be contacted. I was interested in finding out why an account would be restricted. No one would tell me. When I looked into the process for being approved it simply said a valid license and 18 years or older, I surely did not expect to be treated so rudely and unprofessionally. Finally, after 5 days I received a response via email saying I was restricted and my account was revoked for *Failed background check- (the website doesn't list that as a requirement. plus my background is over 8 years old and hasn't prevented me from renting vehicles elsewhere, *A high risk flagg from Turo's internal department- (I can't even get an explaination as to what the high risk is or was.) *One or more Driving violations ( I had gotten a meter ticket this years but that was paid in full) I haven't had anything on my driving record for the past 7 years.) *Violation of Turo's terms and conditions (which is completely absurd. My account not only was denied but it was REVOKED and Blocked from ever registering again. I am completely appalled by the process in which they approve their guests and feel that they handled my account completely unprofessional . Customer Service goes a long way and I will be telling others about my experience so that in the future Turo's can re evaluate their approval process. This company has crappy customer service and no respect for it's account members.

Hooked OnTronics Huddleston, VA

Dragana M. is an awful host who left my family and I stranded in Las vegas. We arrived late at night from traveling all day from the East coast. We booked several times before with turo, and always had a great experience. For this trip, we were scheduled for 11 days and about $170 a day for an Audi. We located the vehicle in the parking garage, but we could not get the vehicle opened using the Toro Go app. We reached out to The Host, Dragana M. who never apologized, said I'm sorry, let me see what's going on, etc. Instead, Dragana M. only messaged using the app and said to contact Turo. When we try calling, the number didn't work, and I advise that I was trying to reach out to her, but she replied, she only talks using the messenger app. So here we were, stranded late at night in the Las Vegas parking garage, with no vehicle, and no offer of assistance. My family, including the child were stranded and Dragana M in Las Vegas could care less. I couldn't believe it, I've had great experience with hosts, and we were nervous, given it so late at night, we didn't know how we would get a vehicle to use for our trip. Ultimately, the staff at Turo help this out. They noted how unprofessional Dragana M. was as a host. Obviously there was not much they can do with Dragana M. at that moment. They offered roadside assistance, and sent someone to unlock the vehicle. But that was going to take a while, and so they offered to put us in another vehicle and we found a host late at night who was willing to personally drop off a vehicle. The price was more expensive, but Turo gave us a credit for the difference. Turo is 5 Stars, but they need to suspend Dragana M. for at least a month. Turo is only as good as it's hosts, and Dragana M was horrific to say the least. No doubt about it, if I was the CEO of Turo, and I had that experience, she'd be banned for life. I would never want any customer to go through what we went through. Budget car rental would have been a far better experience. Ultimately, everything worked out, and we had a good trip with a great host. We will continue to use Turo, but this did almost sabotage any future rentals with Turo. Dragana M. Las Vegas is the worst host by far. I don't know if anything could be worse. There are plenty of other great hosts in Las Vegas, and Dragana M it's not one of them. Ultimately the reviews for Dragana M. Are not accurate, because our trip was canceled through her as a host, and therefore we were unable to review her. Dragana M. horrible host and human being. Shameful!

April Ferguson Franklin, TN

Turo is trash and are thieves. I rented a car for one day. I received the car filthy inside and out, I didn’t know I had to take pictures of dirt. I had an incident with the car cosmetically a (scratch). When Turo owner submitted the pictures he tried to show some type of dirt which they are calling ashes and say I smoked in the car. Owner stated that he had to submit thorough pictures of everything just cause. I am not a smoker of any kind might I add and speaking with the owner I asked him to please contact Turo and let them know that I was not the one to do that, he stated he did and that it was out of his hands and left up to Turo. Turo stated I still violated the terms and would not regress the violation instead they will charge me 300. I told them I’m not paying so they deleted my account and want to put it in collections. Never deal with Turo they are cooks and liars and thieves!

Erin Young Daly City, CA

I just bought a used 2015 Honda CRV in Feb and started hosting Turo in April. I got really booked on the first day all the way til September. My price was only $35 a day. I did the 75% protection plan. Everything was going good up until my 7th guest. I got a last minute cancellation in May but I got another booking that same day. I felt kind of weird about it. My guest arrived at the airport and assumed I was going to pick him up there?? He did not see the location was 20 min away from the airport. He finally arrived and took the keys, I just kept having a funny feeling. Sure enough I get a call from him a few days later saying he drove over a rock and hit the oil pan and needed a tow truck. My heart just dropped. My car was towed to my mechanic but the mechanic said he won’t be able to fix it. It looked bad! I reported the claim on the same day. An associate spoke to me and said everything would be taken care of. You don’t have to worry. I just need a diagnostic report from your mechanic. Now it’s 4 weeks later and still NO HELP from Turo. Communication is TERRIBLE!!! I’ve gotten emails and phone calls from my mechanic and he sent us the diagnostic report about a week ago. Turo says they didn’t receive it yet!?!? How come? I’ve sent all the emails to [email protected] But nothing, no respond. Days go by and she still replies, I’m still waiting for a diagnostic report. What is going on?? What is so hard? Check your emails and reply! So frustrating!! Really Bad customer service. I lost my income, and out a vehicle. I had to cancel all my trips for the rest of the year. My car is totaled and I just want to get a new car or the payment for the value of the car. I’m never being a Turo host again.

KatCruise Portland, OR

** Registration and Insurance not in the Vehicle! Police Involved** I rented a Prius last January in Oregon. Three days before returning after three weeks, I was pulled over for expired tags. I opened glove box for proof of registration and insurance per request but the box was empty! Police denied accepting rental insurance purchased WITH rental or my personal. Proof of primary registration or insurance was found on the app. Police cited me SR 22 and no registration. I needed to bring primary registration and insurance to the court. I returned the car early. Host only apologized but never offered proof of ownership or insurance. The host had been great to work with until I was pulled over. I rented in good faith the vehicle was registered and current. *Turo website states multiple times all vehicles must follow state laws regarding licensing. ** I do not understand why the host was not obligated to show proof of current registration. I rented from another host the following week. I expressed my reluctance because of what happened, they showed me " Produce on demand " laminated document in glove box of Camry. Turo Support has not been a good since I was pulled over. I was told car was in my possession and Turo is not liable. Car in my possession never was the issue! This situation would be worse if I had been in an accident! I have waited FIVE months for any resolution. This should have been resolved within a month, max! I was in the middle of moving to Ohio and this has caused a lot of unnecessary stress, lack of sleep, and strain on finances staying in Oregon for legal reasons. I know many people have had positive experiences with Turo. After this experience and excessive time to resolve, I have no intention of renting from Turo again.

Cyrus Edmonton, AB

"""Windshield chipped and cracked""" Terrible management and greedy people operating this business. I have used Turo about 5 or 6 times, but the last time I got bit because something went wrong during the trip, My windshield got chipped and cracked by dirt on the road falling off other vehicles. When i told the host about it, he said no problem last time i changed it for $490. The vehicle I rented was a 2014 Mercedes benz ML, I did not choose any insurance options for the trip as I had my own personal insurance which would cover rentals, and my deductible is $500 for the claim, so i was like its better i just have the host change it for me so i dont have to go through the hassle, but then i was like maybe Turo cover it for me since it's really not my fault, or at least host's insurance would pay for it. So I asked the host to open a claim with Turo and it seemed like the host didn't know much either, so Turo said its the guests responsibility to pay for the damage and told the host to take the car to a shop they work with for a quote on replacement, So I was waiting to see if it will be cheaper at least, and if not I can just have the host change it for me, but surprisingly I received an invoice from turo for $1,400. So i called the host, he said they already changed it and that's the price. So turo paid for the host and just forwarded the bill to me. Now i have to pay $1,400 for a $490 job. and they even restricted my account so i cant book any other cars before i pay full amount. imagine being on a long business travel and you can't book any other cars while you're trying to figure out what happened, and good luck trying to reach customer service to get a proper answer. So after sending numerous emails to Turo to see how i can put this claim on my personal insurance no one replied back to my emails, then I called my own insurance to get some help and they told me to get a subrogation package from them, then after spending hours and hours i finally got a customer service and asked for it, and they said we will send it to your insurance and it will take about 90 days to resolve the issue, so then i asked how can i continue booking cars? she said only way is to pay the full balance and then once your insurance paid us back we will refund the money to you. so i did and then i still was not able to book the car, again spent 30 minutes to get through customer service and they said you need to verify your account and your identity, I was like I'm already your customer and had done many trips! why should i do this, and the agent replied just like a bot "sir I'm just following the rules" and they want government id with your address on it but don't even want your drivers license or bank statement nor your phone bills, imagine being away from home and you have to find a document other than those! super frustrating. so then i had to contact them again after i downloaded my hydro bill and went through all the wait times and sent the picture of the bill but the agent said i cant verify it, you would have to email us the pdf version of it and then wait for the specialized team to review it!!! hahaha wow guys what joke this Turo is. horrible management and greedy owners who want to take as much as they can, they charge the host 30% of the rental after i talked to my host and this is the kind of customer service they provide. The windshield chips should not be the responsibility of the guests, and Turo should cover it for the sake of both parties when they are making that much money with no effort from their side.

Reta Hampton Alexandria, VA

Rented a vehicle July 11, 2022. Used it from 9 a.m to 5:30 p.m. Host would not meet me to pick up car and also would not meet me to return vehicle. All messages from the host were positive. He did not contact me about any damage or issues after the vehicle was returned to him in exactly the same condition as picked up, in the same exact location. Two days later, Turo contacted me with a claim that I had cracked the windshield and demanded I pay the $500 deductible. This is a scam. Rent at your peril.

Cameron Brown Charlotte, NC

I rented a passenger van from Turo for a family vacation to Orlando and long story short the van had issues and needed to be repaired. My reservation was canceled while in Orlando leaving me stranded without a vehicle. Now, I’m having a hard time getting reimbursed for a 3rd party rental and Ubers expense all which I was told would be cover by Turo. The customer service line doesn’t provide accurate information and no one knows what they are doing. Also, be prepared to be on the phone for hours and days at a time only to get no where.

Stanley Antolak Denver, CO

I love the idea of this but it ended up putting me in a huge fight with the company and the owner of the car. The owner of the car ran a little scam on us and tried to add extra charges after the trip was over. Turo stands by their car owners far more than their customers so they forced me to pay extra at the end. There is a very good chance the final price wont be what you expect because of unethical tactics and how Turo decides to turn a blind eye to it all. Best to just stay away.

Heideh Farahmand Anchorage, AK

Worst decision I’ve ever made was to use Turo! I wish I had never heard of them. My first and only time using Turo I rented an 8 year old car for a week in Alaska. Upon return I got a “smoking charge” of over $250, plus got banned from the app. I have never smoked in my life, and had no passengers in the car at all. According to Turo I cannot appeal this.

Konstantinos Demenagas Moires, 91

I used the app last month during my vacation in the US. Rented a car in Las Vegas. Returned it only to find out that the host of the car RAYMOND T. had accused us of smoking in the car, only in order to collect the 285 non smoking policy fee. We are both all life NON SMOKERS and is funny that we were accused of smoking. Two weeks later the host receives another review from another guest with the same problem. Apparently this is a scam and TURO will do nothing about it. I hope everyone reads this and be extra careful, because we got scammed and there is nothing we can do about it.

ANNACLAIREATHOME Isaak Houston, TX

DO NOT USE TURO outside of your own country! With reputable car rental companies normal wear and tear is assumed and overlooked. I got washer was the equivalent of a door ding and the host wants to charge me 588pounds for something that in America would be fixed for the price of a good detail job. The car was also handed over to me filthy. Now the host is harassing me and Turo is not being helpful. NEVER AGAIN!

Jones & Julia Lee Riverside, CA

Worst experience ever. My trip was canceled and requested for a refund. They declined it because they only let the host decide but treat the guest (renter) as second class citizens. The customer service sent threatening email when I filed a dispute to my credit company. I will never used this service again and I advice you not to do to. Turo stands for Total Uncontrolled Rental Oblivion.

Sea 2 Sky Yoga Nidra Vancouver, BC

My Turo host was scheduled to pick me up at the airport as indicated in my trip booking. My host related he was unable to pick me up as it was illegal he then referred to me as rude when I directed him to my booking which clearly indicated an airport pick up. The host stated the car would be locked up in a garage over night so if I couldnt get an uber to the car before the garage closed I'd have to pick the car up the next day.Turo was difficult to get a hold of and the agent was unable to resolve the issue. The supervisor who was supposed to call and address the issue never did. I have used turo before and it's great if all goes well but if you encounter a problem there is no support.

Brown, E. McDonough, GA

The Host Nicholas is a fraud and liar who rented me a vehicle that had no bolts or fasteners securing the underbody cover to the vehicle. The underbody cover became dislodged while I was driving which could have caused severe injury to myself and others. Him and TURO are SCAMMERS who charged my charge card almost $900 for damage to the underbody cover after I disputed their false claim. I also paid $10.80 per day for the additional insurance recommended by TURO only to discover that there was a $3000 deductible attached to it; therefore, the cost of the vehicle's underbody cover was not covered. Another RIP OFF!! TURO works with the Host in getting all of the money out of you that they can and take the word of the lying Host. They disregard any and all supporting evidence, photos and documents that you submit to them towards their claim and favors the Host's claim and lies. Renters BEWARE!! Ask for proof of a clean, complete vehicle check up prior to renting. I will never rent a personal vehicle from TURO ever again; nor will I ever recommend them to anyone. Again, RENTERS BEWARE!!!!

Charles Williams Dallas, TX

I had rented a car for my marriage proposal in Austin, Texas. I live in Dallas. My partner has been talking a lot about wanting an electric car. I decided to rent a tesla for the weekend trip for us. 2 hours before the departure of the trip, the host canceled because he needed his car to move. There was an option to rebook but it was 2.5 hours later at the earliest which was going to make us 1.5 hours late for our engagement event. Needless to say, I ended up driving my car, and they gave me $50 credit plus my refund. I was on the phone for an hour plus with customer service. Which is not worth the trouble. This was my first and last opportunity using the app. Just be weary of this if you have no flexibility.

Carlotta Ohara Benito Juarez, ROO

BUYER BEWARE!!!! I rented a 2014 Nissan for two days in May. It appeared to be Reasonably priced, all good. Then I extended the rental thru Turo which was difficult as the App didn’t show my reservation amd the host was unable to do it so after many texts and calls and I was finally able to talk to a human who took care of it. So I had picked up the car at 10 am and was supposed to return it at 2 pm the following day. When I went to extend the rental by one day I was told the only way to do it was to put 7 pm as the return time, which I did. I returned the car at 4 pm. So when I returned my $42 a day rental it suddenly had jumped up to $63 a day after all the added charges. My ongoing correspondence with them was via texts and emails which constantly redirected me to the App which never worked, not only could I not extend on the app but I couldn’t see the details of the exorbitant additional charges and not only that but my trip never even showed up on the App. Hmmm???? So Customer Service, via email, only was my only recourse. They responded slowly, it has now taken three days. Initially the story was that they charged me $188 I instead of $125 because I returned the car late (4pm when I was told by them I had a 7 pm return time) . When I contested the additional charges as a late charge , which it wasn’t. I was finally sent a detailed invoice of the charges that conveniently came to $188. They had completely changed their tune as to why the charges came to that. No longer did they claim I returned it late. Really???? Bottom line I will never ever use Turo again. They are not up front about the actual charges. you do not have the guarantees of a legitimate car rental agency. NO I don’t recommend TURO. Plus you cannot talk to a human person. Not satisfied.