Sixt Rent A Car Logo

Sixt Rent A Car

LAST UPDATED: January 20th, 2023

SIXT started out with three locations and grew into an international company with locations throughout the United States. Currently, the company is present in 105 countries across the globe with over 2,000 branch locations. SIXT purchases more than 200,000 vehicles annually and owns the world's largest fleet of premium German cars.

The Good

• Vehicle Types
  • Price Range
  • Toll Prepay Option
  • Online Check-In

Vehicle Types

The SIXT vehicle fleet hosts models from German favorites like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi. Vehicle types include:

• Convertibles
  • Luxury cars
  • Minivans
  • SUVs
  • Passenger vans

Price Range

SIXT offers vehicles ranging in average prices in the car rental industry. While the prices are not necessarily low, SIXT's car selection is of a higher quality than many economy budget car rentals. The car make and models are newer and more modern so if that is important to you then the average cost is more than worth paying. Regardless of the price listed for a car, though, SIXT boasts a Best Price Guarantee.

Toll Prepay Option

A very convenient feature is the ability to order toll passes through the company's website. Having a toll pass makes your commute easier when you travel. This comes as part of the online check-in.

Online Check-In

You can check in your car from SIXT's website instead of the rental counter using one of two options: the online check-in portal via the website or the on-site terminal. After you sign in and check in with your reservation number, you go to SIXT's express counter and swap your signature for the car keys. For the terminal option, follow these steps:

1. Insert your Sixt Express Card or credit card into the terminal.
  2. The terminal detects your card automatically and shows you the reservation. You also have the option of booking extras at this point, such as winter tires.
  3. Select your car out of three vehicle options.
  4. Confirm the booking details and print your rental agreement.
  5. Open the safe and take the vehicle keys.

This makes checking in easy and fast and eliminates the issue of long lines that you get with other car rental companies.

The Bad

• Limited U.S. Availability
  • No Instant Return
  • No On-Site Fuel Discount

Limited U.S. Availability

SIXT has rental car locations in 15 states, so your options are limited in the United States. Sixt has rental counters at some major airports throughout North America, but not as many as some competitors. For instance, most rental companies have counters at JFK, LaGuardia, or Newark airports in the New York City area and SIXT does not. On the plus side, SIXT is worldwide, so it is likely to cover your international travel needs.

No Instant Return

SIXT lacks an instant return option where you can leave the car with the keys inside. You must return the vehicle to a rental office (or other identified location) on the date and time specified in your rental agreement.

No On-Site Fuel Discount

SIXT does not offer discounts for fueling your vehicle on-site. If a customer returns the car low on gas, SIXT charges a $50 fee.

The Bottom Line

If you're itching to try out a new or luxury car, look no further than SIXT. With quick check-in, no hidden costs, and free cancellation, SIXT is all about convenience. However, the company is not readily available throughout North America, especially in smaller states and cities.

1.4

Rose Morris The Bronx, NY

I picked up the rental car at Tampa Airport, 11/23/22, returned 12/122. I experienced a quick, pleasant and efficient service by a 1st day on the job assistant. Malaysia was attentive to my needs and comfort first and foremost, when the vehicle originally requested was not available. In the end I was pleased with and enjoyed the vehicle received, except it smelt like someone previously smoked in it. I called and reported the smoke odor. I was contacted immediately with an offer to replace the vehicle. I declined the offer, and was assured I would not be charged for the odor. This was my first rental experience with Sixt and will rent from them again. Awesome customer service in person and phone, quick, no fuss returns.

James Bertrand Jr Boulder, CO

I have rented from Sixt on several occasions and have had a decent overall experience. The last two times have been a slimmy, unethical, irresponsible and insulting! Make SURE to take pictures of every single aspect of the car! My first experience was when I got in the Range Rover I noticed one of the tires was off by a couple psi...no big deal, I would just put some air in when I stopped for gas. I drove from FLL to Naples with no change in pressure. Two days later I had to drive back to FLL to pick up family. The pressure was down about 4psi. Again, no big deal. I just figured there was a slow leak and I'd trade the car for another. When I arrived at FLL it was an easy exchange. I told them I think there is a slow leak in the tire. They said "ok" and I got another car. I signed what I thought was paperwork for the exchange. A few weeks later I received a bill for $427 dollars with a picture of a tire with a nail in it. After writing the company with my concerns that the nail was already there and not inspected properly before I received the car they proceeded to tell me that I was shown the nail at the time of return and I signed paperwork that I had seen the damage and gave consent as to my responsibility. This is a lie! I was completely dismissed as being a lier and Sixt held there place as to no responsibility. I have been renting many of the luxury line cars Sixt offers and have been a returning customer and I would expect a benefit of the doubt in this situation. Sixt would have lost my business right there if it hadn't been for a future reservation that would cost $100 to cancel. I made sure to have an employee do a detailed overview of the car this time (wich would not have happened unless I asked!) This Range Rover had many scratches that were not reported from the last use! I had to make sure that everyone was documented! The employee was totally dismissive and acted as if all the scratches were no big deal! I was in a rush and did not have time to switch out the car. I'm guessing if I hadn't insisted that the employee take down all the damage notes I would be seeing a bill for damage very soon! This companies practices of transferring damage to another customer when they are not doing their part to document damage is appalling and despicable! They have definitely lost a customer and I am hoping that those who read this will take their business elsewhere!

Kristin Bjornson Saint John, IN

Horrible. (Rsw) Fort Myers airport location First I waited over an hour for a car because the Kia Rio I booked online wasn’t available, the lady was nice and gave me a Chipotle giftcard. Later she said she could get me a deal with a red Mercedes. I took it. This was my first time renting a car so I was a little naive. I noticed scratches on the front bumper under the headlights didn’t think much about. Then when I brought it back they claimed that I did the damage and want me to pay for it. I have proof in the picture I took on the lot it was scratched up. They ignored me and tried to turn it to collections. When I talked to Sixt on the phone the woman accused me of being a liar saying “None of us like to admit fault” I didn’t do anything to it! I’m an honest person and would have bo problem paying for any damage I may have done. They never did a walk around with me before I got in the car. Now I know better. They’re a scam. Stay away!

Zandra Miller Charlotte, NC

Love sixt love the vehicles, very reliable very affordable, and they have luxury vehicles . Customer service very professional will be going back to sixt… 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Nelson Lang Hartland, WI

The office was not open upon the scheduled return of the vehicle, so I was instructed to give my keys to the shuttle driver to the airport. I was then charged a late return fee, which was 3 hrs after I returned the car. I was also charged for a flat tire, that did not happen while I was driving. Their proof showed a picture of a car in a different location than where I parked it. How did the car get there if I left it with a flat tire? No one is reasonable when discussing this with them. How can a business operate in this manner?

Justin Sarate Socorro, NM

BEWARE!!!! STAY AWAY!!!! Rented a midsize SUV 2 weeks ahead of time and the morning going to go pick up the rental I received a message saying that the vehicle I rented was not available. The only other option was to upgrade, for more money of course, but I wasn't able to afford it with all of the fees. Asked to be reimbursed but was denied because "I didn't give them 24 hours notice?!?!" How could I give them 24 hours if they only gave me a few hours notice??!! So now I am out the money that I paid for a vehicle that I wasn't even able to use!

Kirsten Van Osten Gilbert, AZ

0 stars. Booked a BMW 5 series for my mother. that was supposed to be $329 for Wed-Mon. When she got there they said a 2 series was equivalent (which if you know cars is not equivalent) and then tried to upsell her on getting a car that was 4 wheel drive and up selling all of the options so the total bill will be over $1k. Complete bait and switch and overcharge. When I got on the phone with them they had terrible customer service and wouldn’t make it right and then refused to talk to me because I was upset (understandably so!). Trying to take advantage of my mother who is in her 70’s. I wanted to walk away, but mom is still trying to make it work which I will have to pay for. Absolutely abhorrent behavior and business practices. Do not use this unethical company to rent a car from. They will take advantage and not give you what you booked and then charge you 3x+ what the quoted price was.

Greg Kotlarz Berkley, MI

This is a follow-up to my initial poor review (0 stars, but the rating system requires at least 1 star in order to post the review)... The unscrupulous people who run this company gave me a car that drove less than 30 miles before it ran out of gas (no audible warning sounded in the vehicle either). I filed complaints on more than one occasion - NO ONE FROM SIXT EVER RESPONDED TO ANY OF MY COMPLAINTS. They did not even send me an invoice until nearly 30 days after my rental ended and I returned the vehicle. Then showing on the invoice was a charge for" pre-paid" fuel of $126.20! It must be run by a band of psychopaths as you will read many many similar stories of cheating their customers!! STAY AWAY FROM SIXT OR YOU LIKELY WILL BE THE NEXT VICTIM!!! Greg Kotlarz

Luis Barbosa East Hartford, CT

I am currently not having a good experience with Sixt rental. I have been trying to reach out to the GM at the Logan airport facility to get some answers about my experience. My car was towed while being used by the additional driver. The Car was towed on Sunday night and I have made several trips to the airport to try to get this situation resolved and I can’t seem to get anyone to help me. The supervisor on duty promised to keep me updated but twice has failed to follow through regarding the status of my rental agreement. Luis Barbosa RENTAL AGREEMENT 9489763042 Boston Logan International Airport

Lina Falcon Henrico, VA

This company doesn’t even deserve one star. I am trying to cancel a reservation and they want to charge a penalty of more than half of what I paid. I am trying to cancel with enough time and I’m being told that since I already paid, I cant get my money back. The penalty fee is not reasonable, people travel every day, is not like they won’t be able to rent the vehicle again. I’m trying to cancel 15 days prior to the date of the reservation. This is the worst company. Also, I called three times and requested a speaking spanish representative and I was told that they don have one. The customer service is POOR. I do not recommend this company.

Anthony Phelps Dorchester, MA

Worst car rental experience. My car's transmission had died. So while I was at work I booked a rental thru Expedia for a car at Sixt. After arriving at the airport to pick up the car which I had reserved 5 hours earlier the person at the Sixt desk said they had no car, especially since I had only "just ordered it". They said I would have to wait for at least an hour or more and that they didn't carry the type of car I ordered which was a simple my I'd sized sedan. She said she only had some BMWs and I couldn't have that. She said maybe I should just get a car at Avis at the next desk. I asked if I could cancel and and she said yes and if nothing else they will see you "didn't take the car". So I went to Avis to see if they had a car and they did. So if it it and I went back to Sixt and they said "oh well you have to cancel it thru Expedia.". So I sat down and immediately went thru Expedia to try to cancel the order. They took the info and said they would have to talk with Sixt. I finally heard back that Sixt says no still have to pay even though I didn't take their car. The worst ever. I hope everyone sees these reviews

Jeremy Barras

Where do I start? I have to share this story as it is pretty incredible. On 22/06/2019 I was driving in a SIXT hire car from Geneva to Bergamo in Italy. A landslide caused the complete closure of the Autostrada and we were directed off the Autostrada by the Italian police at Pont-St.Martin, where the toll booths were raised and we were waved through to then spend 6 hours bumper to bumper on side roads getting to Bergamo. 3 years later, yes, 3 years, I received a debit on my American Express card for $148.82 on 18-04-22 for as it turns out, a fine from the Italian toll road company, NIVI, for not paying the toll, who had sent the fine to SIXT in Germany, who then paid it with out asking me, and added a service fee of $30. I complained and explained immediately about it, and as to why they had my credit card details still after 3 years, but they did not answer. They told me that I had to get in contact with the toll road company NIVI, and get them to reimburse SIXT who would then reimburse me. Many months of correspondence occurred and eventually NIVI agreed that I should at best have paid only $24.80, which was the toll amount up to where we were directed off the Autostrada. I paid that amount to them, and then asked them to reimburse SIXT. They said that they could see my payment now, but could not see the $117 amount which SIXT claimed they had paid for me. Requests to SIXT to reconfirm the amount paid to NIVI went unanswered, instead SIXT debited my card a second time for $148.82 on 30-08-22!!! I immediately sent emails to SIXT, and have been sending them ever since, but get no answer from SIXT at all. Reminder after reminder! So I should have paid at best nothing, as I did nothing wrong, and only followed the directions from the Italian police, but at worst I had to pay $24.80, which I did, but I also paid involuntarily $148.82 twice to SIXT, so a total of $297.64, which they took from my credit card incorrectly after 3 years. They are criminally negligent, at best, and certifiably breaking German Law by keeping customer credit card details on their files some 3 years later. They are unresponsive to customer requests and needs and are a disgrace to the rental car industry. Avoid at all costs. Date of experience: April 12, 2022

Zameer Mohamad

This is my first experience which was horrible. At pickup the agent told me it was okay for me to return the car earlier. I was still billed the entire total although the car was returned 3 days earlier. Very expensive lesson for me but worth mentioning here for other unsuspecting future travelers. Never again.

Jason Gansauer Chicago, IL

I rented a car from Sixt in Ireland awhile back. Two years later, I tried them again. They told me I needed a medical letter from my doctor. I had it. They didn’t ask for it. But they did require me to buy their insurance, which they never said before. “Either buy it or you don’t get the car.” Sixt rates Tenth.

Jeannette Long Somerset, NJ

Worst experience ever. Booked because my flight was canceled and was going to have to drive from DC to NJ. Airline called me back and found another flight. When I booked Sixt on Expedia it said cancellation available. I canceled less than 30 mins from when I booked. They would not refund my money. They charged me $194.00. Wasn’t like they lost opportunity to book because it was less than 30 mins. Outrageous!

Dee Evans Oakland, CA

If I could give them 0 Stars I would. These people are absolute crooks! DO NOT under any circumstances rent from them. They gave me a piece of junk for a car, said I added another scratch to the 19 documented scratches and dents and sent me to collections when I disputed it. I WILL NEVER USE THIS COMPANY AND IF YOU'RE SMART YOU WON'T EITHER. Use a reputable company. These thieves are not worth it.

PK Akron, OH

Sixt Rent a Car is a dishonest company. We were traveling in Paris France and rented the car for a week. We decided to return early, which we were told was not a problem, and were told were told we'd get a credit of $500.00 plus dollars. The credit was short lived and they charged us $1100.00 for two days, by adding miles traveled when we were told it was unlimited miles and then a bunch of bogus fees. Do not use this company, once they have your credit card info they can do what ever you want.

Patricia Ann Lockette Douglasville, GA

Please beware they advertise a price lower than their competitors but once you arrive they raise saying the actual type vehicle you reserved they don't have so you must upgrade. My 28 day rental was raised by $500. I will stick with HERTZ because they are a honest, reliable company and if they don't have vehicle you reserved you are not charged for upgrade. Sixt really don't deserve a 1 star.

Melissa Lowe Hillsborough, NJ

This company is the worst to deal with ever. My experience started when I got to the counter to pick up my rental car. I booked through Expedia and was under the impression that my bill was paid in full. When I got to the counter, I was informed that on top of the deposit which is typical I would be charged an additional $150 per car. When I asked why that was not stated the customer service rep stated, "Well it's our job to tell you." So, basically, they try to get you with cheap prices and hit you with an unknown charge when you get to the counter. While I was mad, I was willing to let it go and enjoy my trip. Now 3 weeks later I am still dealing with this company because they are stating I did not return the car on time. I am livid and will never use them again. You all should be cautious as well.

Artur Brudecki Wroclaw, 02

I rent a car in airport in Los Angeles. They charge additional fees, which were not included in their initial offer. This company is dishonest and I recommend to avoid them, everywhere in the world. They don’t answer for complaints. I made reservation in September, paid 1004$ and when I picked up a car in October, they gave me to sign agreement and invoice for 1274$. During pickuping car I didn’t know about it but next day I was very suprised seeing on ma credit card account additional 270$ less. They charge credit card very high commissions for highways and similar payments. It was my mistake to believe them and signing agreement late evening and after many hours of flight. I had another „good” option not to rent car from Sixt and look for another honest rental in the middle of the night or spend night at the airport. I feel robbed and cheated. At first sight they make a good impression and in next step catch you and get out of money. This is their true business model and don’t be deluded by „At Sixt customer satisfaction is our ultimate goal. This is why we are always available at your convenience for any questions or concerns you may have.” I warn everybody not to rent anything from them. AB

Steve Paul Carlyle, IL

not even worthy of a single star but sadly that’s the lowest option. Where to start? First the website showed no vehicles available but Expedia did, so I booked through Expedia. On check in however, I was informed that my class selection was not available and I was forced to pay to upgrade because that was the only vehicle available. $290 for a 24 hour rental. When I did get the vehicle it had 3/4 tank. The mgr said he would give me a credit on my final bill but it did not show up. This was my first and likely my last SIXT rental. Update: After using the suggested way of contacting SIXT customer service via email, I have emailed them back and forth 6 times. They continue to refuse to provide awe a credit to my card which I used to secure the reservation. They did however offer a voucher credit for another rental (even after me stating I would never be using their services again). I should have read the other negative reviews before I booked with them. It’s obvious this company won’t be around long. Look at some of the reviews on Trip Advisor and the other travel guides. If I could give this zero stars I would.

paul Keller Steamboat Springs, CO

A night mare of a company they double charged me. On Aug 28,2022 I booked a Ford ?? Pickup Oct 19, 22 and return Oct 28, 22 they charger me on the credit card $ 352.85. Unfortunately the Iceland air land cancelled my flight Oct 19,22, rebooked (Edit) on Sixt my pickup day for Oct.20,22. Sixt acknowledged with an e-mail the new pick up date but no mentioning my "new" charge. When I arrived at the Zurich Airport Sixt counter, the Lady complained about being late to pick up the car and charged me a whopping $ 287.54 for one day less of renting the car than my 1st booking. Now back home (US)I got my Credit card statement with Both charges on it, no money was returned by Sixt. I cannot find a "chat" or something on Sixt to complain about the extra charge. Never ever will I book or refer to anyone this Rental Company

Kevin D Saint John, NB

BE FOREWARNED***DO NOT RENT FROM SIXT, OR YOU WILL REGRET IT!!! I regret not researching online reviews for SIXT prior to renting a vehicle (Munich Airport, Oct 2022). Research online review sites, and believe what you read. There’s a reason they only have an average of 1-2 stars on all review sites!! I’ve travelled most of North America and Europe in my job as a corporate pilot for the past 25 years, and this is easily the worst car rental experience I’ve ever had, bordering on fraudulent! I booked thru their APP and all documentation provided to me after completing my booking showed a total cost estimate for the week of 441 Euros, “Including all taxes, fees, and extras selected”. Upon returning the vehicle seven days later, I started receiving new updated and revised rental agreements? Again, I started receiving all these documents AFTER I returned the vehicle. These revised and more detailed documents, which I was never provided before picking up the car, showed a total estimate of 831 Euros!!!! They added three types of insurance after I declined all the insurance (credit card covers it). These extra insurances were never mentioned prior to the start of our trip. All types of back and forth emails and they did nothing to correct the issue. The general attitude is, “you agreed to this prior to picking up the car, so too bad for you”. Complete LIES and FABRICATIONS. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM, OR YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Anne Kavanagh Reading, PA

We rented a car from Payless . Got stuck in the side of the road with 2 flat tires! No response from our rental company!!! A sixty roadside assistance car was passing and not only stopped but tried to put air in the tires. When that did not work they gave me a ride to Payless to see if they would help. In the meantime they took off the tires took them somewhere and repaired them!!!! They put them back on and got us on our way !!! No charge!!!! Amazing group of 3 men!! This happened 2/18/22 about 1:30pm. Thank you thank you thank you!! Will NEVER use another company except sixt again!!! Signed A very appreciative stranded tourist!!!

William Werntges Harrisburg, PA

Watch their cancellation policy. ALL companies charge $0 if canceled before 24 hours, $50 fee if prepaid. Sixt charges the FULL COST OF THE RENTAL, max of 3 days. $100s. Happened to me. Protested to no avail. They are also running the worst commercials ever. Avoid.

Gayatri Lavanya Sykesville, MD

This is the worst rental car service ever I have seen in my entire life. I have a pickup at bwi airport at 11:30pm and when I arrive at their I see no one at the counter and it’s closed. I paid my full amount and when I call them back they simply said their apologies which was totally gross. It’s waste of time waste of money.

lee weissman Riverhead, NY

Got a car from them August 2022, unfortunately took the gas plan and sadly didn't use the gas. My returning the car with a full tank was my fault, them not helping their customer out and making an exception to refund the fee for the gas they didn't have to replenish leave me with a bad feeling about them and not wanting to ever use them again.

Bizrinkta Brown St. John's, NL

Stay away from this dishonest company. I rented a car for 24 hours, paid the fee when I picked it up. As is usual, they ask for approval to hold a deposit on the credit card, which I did not question at the time. I did not know that Sixt actually takes the money off your card, so now I have effectively paid $500 to rent a car for a single day. I returned the car on time, with a full tank of gas and no damage whatsoever. They tell me I will get my refund within the next two weeks. I am now waiting, must pay the blanche on my car while these criminals have my money.

Aunt Mary Fort Lauderdale, FL

If I could give a lower score I would. This is a horrible company and does nothing to help "would be clients." I rented a car for the next day but then realized I did something wrong and within 20 minutes canceled the reservation. They charged me $200 and I can't even find a human being to talk to! Experian tried 3 times to dispute this with no luck. Had I prevented them from renting a car or holding back business I could understand a cancellation charge, but 20 minutes?? Ridiculous!! You can't even find a place on their web site to contact anyone and if you call them they say they can't take calls. Obviously it's because they get nothing but complaints. Stay away from this company!!!

Abdullah Alghunaim Riyadh, 01

What to say more that other people didn't mention. First, their customer service is a nightmare (Yes they are located in the Philippines). Multiple emails and phones calls that lasted for days with no result. They have a very big issue when it comes to customer service. Now let's talk about the car. For a premium paying rental they didn't accept a simple request or try to accommodate any alternative measurements. Now let's talk about employee knowledge which is lacking same as the oversees customer service. The lady at the return counter at IAD didn't known what was my total bill and kept saying (this is what the screen shows). .I am sure they didn't hire her just because she can read only. If she didn't known how the numbers adds up she shouldn't be facing customers especially when they are on a rush to catch their plane. After multiple arguing which I explained to her she is 100% wrong she decided to call her manager. Luckily her manager was on ground and had the knowledge on the issues and was able to fix the billing issue. Overall. will I book again ? There is a high chance no there are better companies out there with better prices and customer services.

John Cho Houston, TX

I will never rent a car from this shady business again. When we picked up the car, they never did an inspection. So I was very surprised that when we dropped it off, the guy walked around and said that there was a lot of damage to the front of the vehicle. We had only driven the car to and from the local university for Parent Weekend and had parked in the hotel and school covered garage. I questioned how he would think that I had cause the damages to the car when there was no inspection done when I picked up the vehicle. I asked him to note on the paperwork that I didn't cause the damage. He told me not to worry and to just sign off on the ipad. While waiting in line for the shuttle back to the airport, I received my email receipt where it said that I had agreed to the damages claimed by the employee. I immediately went back to speak to the manager where he said there was nothing he could do. He said that I should be receiving a call or email about the damages and I can just refute it? Well, I'm reading some of the reviews and it looks like this isn't the first time they have done something like this where they charged another customer $800 4 months later for a supposed dent in one of the rims. After 30 minutes of standing in line with 30 other customers, the shuttle bus finally arrived for us to be told the bus driver is going on lunch break and to wait for another shuttle bus. We didn't want to take a chance of being late to our flight so we had to pay $16 for an Uber. Even if we had waited for the next shuttle bus, the small shuttle wouldn't have fit all of us in the vehicle. I have rented multiple vehicles from all the major car rental companies and I have never had to deal with this type of unscrupulous business practice of lying to the customer. Not to mention the lack of service with the infrequent shuttle bus.

Steve Meyer St. George, UT

I rented a car from Sixt in February of 2022. I rented a Audi Q7. In October of 2022 I was sent a bill for a camera traffic violation. The time on the ticket was interesting because I knew I was not in Chicago at the time the ticket happened. After finding the ticket, going into the city of Chicago site, reviewing the pictures taken, I noticed it was actually a BMW X1 and was not the car I rented. I had to request the charge to be removed 3 times before they finally credited my account. No further consideration was given from Sixt for the incorrect billing beyond a refund of the charge. Apparently my time and energy is worth nothing to them. I would never rent from them again, and would caution everyone about renting from this company.

Jeff Irwin Rehoboth Beach, DE

Avoid Sixt Philadelphia! I rented from them only because Hertz and National had no cars available and I needed one on short notice. After I turned in my rental they sent me a claim for damages noting there was a "scratch" on the front of the car. They sent a picture from which a scratch is not even visible, and then later sent an estimate of over $500! I spent the 1.5 hrs to forward their invoice and forms to my credit card company who thankfully has insurance against those claims. Now, also, I just had a mysterious $45 charge show up on my credit card from "Sixt USA". After trying to call them about the charges I cannot get any answers from them on what the charge was for, so I will have to spend the time having this bogus charge reversed/declined. This company wasted a significant amount of my time beyond any experience I've had with Hertz or National over the past 30+ years I've been renting cars. UGHHH.....! would give zero stars if that option was available. Very frustrating!!!

John & Kristi Head Springfield, MO

We were very disappointed in the service we received from Sixt. Our flight was delayed thus not allowing us to contact the service desk about late arrival. Sixt should have a policy that keeps the desk open for delayed flights and keep track of such. We did the express pick up option thinking we would still be able to get our vehicle. This was not the case. Arriving late with 3 small kids to find out we do not have a vehicle available is beyond frustrating not to mention expensive! We were stuck paying close to $200 for a rental from one of your competitors to get to our hotel for the night. Then we had to take several hours out of our vacation to drive back to the rental center to return that car and pick up our rental with Sixt. To continue the frustration even more, we were told we could not use our credit card because it didn’t match the one on the reservation. The one used on the reservation was the virtual version of the card we presented. Then we were charged an extra driver fee for my spouse because he is the primary driver but the reservation was in my name. Every other rental company we’ve rented from allows the spouse to be a driver at no additional cost. We asked to switch the reservation to his name since he’d be the one driving and we’re told the reservation would have to be cancelled, and since it was a prepaid reservation, a fee would be charged and the price we paid would not be honored. We would have to do a counter rental in my husbands name which would have been almost twice the original cost. It was one disappointing thing after another. After spending an additional 2.5 hours of our family vacation in the rental car center and an additional $165 for the second driver fee, we finally had a vehicle. The following day, we hit rain and find out the driver side wiper blade was damaged and did not clear the rain. This was a major safety issue that once again delayed our vacation. I tried to call Sixt customer service and “phone service” was unavailable. This resulted in us having to purchase a new wiper blade ourselves and replace it. I waited to do this review in hopes that it would not be skewed with anger. However, I am still angry with the hassles my family was subjected to because of the lack of consideration and customer oriented policy Sixt has. I wanted to make sure other families knew just how unfriendly Sixt is to traveling families.

Dissatisfied Customer Topeka, KS

If I could give less than one star, I would. The company overcharged me nearly $100. If they do this on a regular basis (which some of the comments on this site suggest), the company is making a serious profit unethically. I ordered a rental car for three days through Expedia. Expedia estimated the amount of the rental, which I paid through Expedia. Expedia then sent a voucher for that amount to Sixt. The price for the rental was slightly more than the voucher amount, so I owed a deficit of $8.58. I received an invoice at the time of rental showing this deficit plus a $200 security deposit, which I was supposed to have returned when I returned the car. After returning the car, Sixt sent another invoice, charging us an additional amount (line-item "O5") and correspondingly higher taxes. They then billed my credit card $104 instead of the $8.58 they should have charged me. When I contacted Sixt, they first told me that it was a voucher discrepancy and I need to take it up with Expedia. This was completely false since both invoices credited our account with the full amount from Expedia. Plus, if it was a payment deficiency, Sixt should have have collected taxes on the amount because it was not a charge but a payment. When I got my credit card involved, Sixt changed its explanation to say that I agreed to pay the loss damage waiver fee. This also was a ludicrous explanation because both invoices had a line item for the loss damage waiver fees, and it was not the amount I was disputing. I never received a satisfactory explanation for the additional charges. I will never use Sixt again, and I would urge anyone considering them to think twice.

Kathy Lindeen Commercial Point, OH

The counter service was prompt and friendly. Got upgraded to a nicer car for free. Easy to get out of airport and return was simple and fast. No issues or concerns with this company. I will definitely use them again in the future.

Michael Krzepkowski Calgary, AB

I have been renting from Sixt in Florence, Italy since January 2020. 3 long term rentals from 48 to 60 days each. Cars are in above average condition, clean and without any major damage. As expected some will have cosmetic imperfections. Counter personal is efficient and well trained. Both their website and app are OK. The problems start when you have to deal with their backoffice. On my rental back in November 2021 I manged to scrape the rim against the curb. The paint on the rim was damaged. Sixt documented the mishap and I confirmed that it was caused by me. After a long delay I was presented with the estimate to replace the rim from the independent company. I would have much preferred the authorized BMW dealer estimate or the actual repair invoice. The estimate put a price tag on the generic "rim" and it was about 20% higher that the BMW catalog shows for exactly correct replacement part. Oh well, it is difficult to argue this over long distance, so I accepted the estimate. By the end of January 2022 I received email from Sixt notifying me that the amount will be charged to my credit card in 14 days. This should have closed the case. However, the Damage Italia Team decided to play some games. They did not charge my credit card. Quietly, without informing me they were printing remittance notices and finally mailed a bunch of them to me by bulk mail from the Netherlands (!) threatening legal action because the bill remained unpaid. At that point they succeeded in losing a customer. Several emails to the Damage Italia Team and company management are simply being ignored. Even small things like refunding customer for purchase of Diesel additive (AdBlue) for EUR 20 could not be completed at the car return time. Two Customer Service reps have to be involved and now 45 days later I am still waiting for the funds to be deposited into my account. Apparently just deducting it from the final bill was too complicated. Overall it is a great business case how an inept backoffice clerk can destroy marketing and front office efforts.

jeff goldberg

Just finished renting a Chevy Blazer at the Fort Lauderdale airport. From start to finish the service and the car were excellent. The gentleman who checked us in was helpful and professional and walked us to the location where we could pick up our car. Upon the return, the young lady who looked after us was very pleasant and helpful. This was my 2nd time renting from Sixt. It's price was competitive. I will certainly use it again.

Michael Jaffe Delray Beach, FL

Rented a Toyota Yaris at Ben-Gurion Airport (TLV) in Tel Aviv for two weeks, arranged through Expedia. The handover was smooth and quick, even during prime tourist season. The staff was extremely friendly and efficient. The vehicle had 1400 km on it, so it was practically new and in pristine condition. No issues with the car. Car return was also quick, very friendly staff. A year earlier, I had used SixT at Reykjavik, and the pickup experience was not nearly as good. There seem to be a number of factors influencing the experience, but, for the most part, SixT seems to be a good discount option.

Maureen E. Serge

I was so surprised to see the negative reviews for Sixt. I have been renting cars from Sixt for approximately 2 years and have never had a problem, and the customer service was fantastic. Besides their prices being the best in town, I always receive fast courtesy service from the counter people. Granted, I only rent when I am in Las Vegas, but I am there 3 or 4 times a year and use Sixt all the time. I tried the rest of the car rentals and they are expensive and never had the car that I originally reserved. BRAVO to Sixt. To all the new customers, don't be swayed by someone else's negativity.

Vince Ardito

I wish I didn't have to give even one star. They are the worst company in the world, there is no customer service department at all, been trying for 2 years to get refund and still no luck. This place needs to shut down, they gave me a broken car on my honeymoon and I had to fix it out of pocket and left me stranded .

Polly Meeks Birmingham, AL

Classic bait and switch when they don't want to honor the price offered on 3rd party websites. You rent a premium car but no it's not premium when it's no longer available and you are required to upgrade to get something comparable. They double talk and sell the con real good when you call them out on it.

Lyon Paque Laguna Beach, CA

Worst company on the PLANET! I am now in a dispute with my credit card company over a double charge. WHATEVER you do, DO NOT EVER let these people charge your credit card twice. (in which they state, "the charge will come off". I rented a Nissan Rogue for $1,472.24 but they also charge my card $1,323.09 for a Nissan Kicks. I originally wanted the Kicks, but decided to get the Rogue. The charge for the Kicks was never reversed, and SIXT is actually sending documentation to my credit card company (CHASE) disputing that I owe for the Kicks. The worst part; CHASE is on SIXT side thus far.

mariusz sosnowski Marco Island, FL

Rented a vehicle from Ft Myers airport . After driving for 30 min noticed that vehicle has hardly any brakes and makes loud noises . Called customer service and got hang up twice asking for a vehicle replacement .Finally called a emergency number and told them that vehicle is inop and is not operational gentleman name Ed ordered vehicle replacement roadside assistance-5 HRS later still don’t have my car and keep on getting text messages every 90 minutes that my new vehicle will arrive in 20 min . Don’t know what do to anymore . Never again SIXT !!

Stephanie Mau Cumming, GA

Warning! Do not rent a car through SixT! We rented a car in phoenix. We noticed damages to the car after we pulled out of lot. Tried repeatedly to call them and couldn’t get anyone on the phone. We took our own video to document since nobody is there to go over condition of car when you pick it up. Now they are attempting to charge us for the damage. Just based in principle we have hired an attorney and will obtain video footage and past rental history of this vehicle. Wish I could give zero stars!

Anna Pernilla Sandberg Moelndal, O

We rented a car in Genoa Italy through sixth- We got a car that there was alot of damages on therefore we filmed the entire car. Three weeks after we handed it back we got an email stating a photo of the damages that they said was caused by us and a photo- and stated that we should pay 1200 euro. We sent our film with the exact damages on that we filmed when receiving the car- then they answered that there were other damages on the car- we than asked them to send some proof of that. Nothing came, instead they sent an email stating that if we would not pay within a week that would take it further to court and we should pay the additional cost of that. I am chooked by how they fool and threaten there customers. I will never ever again rent through sixt, please do not do that.

Nolan Shea Cincinnati, OH

An absolute joke of a company. When I arrived they did not have the car I booked and "upgraded" me to another vehicle, despite my request not to. Lo and behold, the vehicle I was rented was not mechanically sound. Once we got into the mountains, the SUV's dashboard lit up with warnings, saying "Power Supply Malfunction - Contact roadside assistance." When we finally were able to get off the highway, the vehicle completely died at a four-way stop blocking traffic. It even initiated electric parking brake, so we had no way of moving it. Upon contacting Sixt, which took nearly an hour to get through, the representative was rude and accusatory. Luckily, a good Samaritan gave us a jump so we could attempt to make it to our destination. Once we arrived, the vehicle completely died again. At this point, the same rude Sixt rep finally called back, nearly two hours later, to say that they were sending someone out to swap the vehicle and that I would be responsible for the cost of the tow, which they say cost over $1000. I have disputed this charge multiple times, and have gotten nowhere. Sixt's business practices are shady and its vehicles are neglected. They rely on unsuspecting renters to foot the bill for poor quality. Avoid them at all cost.

Kate Osinska Mesa, AZ

FAULTY BMW X3 AZ-CWM6690 provided by SIXT almost cost me my life through an engine malfunction on a highway at high speed, and on top of that SIXT demands I pay $1,990 for towing services from Albany to NY that, according to SIXT, cannot be waived (even though it is entirely their fault) "as this is a financial loss to our company" - Jordae Claims Department". I've also been told that "it's not our fault that we don't have an office in Albany and had to tow the car to NY and bring your replacement from there". Needless to say, I also purchased their Gold Plus Premium Insurance which SIXT claims does not cover such occurrences. I wonder then what does you Gold Plus Premium insurance cover at a price of $200 for 4 days? It certainly should cover instances like that where SIXT is clearly at fault. To describe the incident the engine of a new BMW X3 malfunctioned at 80miles per hour, causing the car to skid across a busy highway at night during the Albany winter (Feb 2022) into a ditch, and then forcing us to drive in "first gear" back to the hotel, eventually just completely dying on us. We've never been so close to death in our entire life. This experience with the SIXT car rental has left us so scared that we do not think we will rent another car from a car rental company due to serious safety issues and a complete lack of accountability. I would love to speak to one of the branch managers and see whether human life and vehicle safety is really of no significance to them, because if that's the case -SIXT certainly should not be in business. And whether SIXT - a company which only cares about their financial profits can find it in them to waive the $1,990.45 towing services fee

Chad Mitchell McKinney, TX

Worst car rental. I reserved a car rental with Sixt for Sept 2-4 in August in Denver International Airport. On Sept 2 while flying into Denver our flight was first not allowed to land for 2 hours while we circled a storm and then we were diverted back to Amarillo to refuel. We arrived in Denver at 1 am on Sept 3. We attempted to then proceed to the car rental agency which was closed. We called the corp Sixt and they said we would have to come back after 7 am to pick up our car now. We could not do this and had to rent from Avis who was open 24 hrs. Sixt then proceeded to charge us the full rental of 3 days for $700+ even though we could not get our car. They stated that we were a "no show" and that they could then charge us. We attempted multiple time to contact Sixtwith our case. They could careless. We were a "no show" because our flight was late and they closed their agency at 12 pm. It is a horrible policy and will never use them. I own a tech company and will forbid any of my employees from using them as well.

Kristen Dibble St. Petersburg, FL

I called to cancel my reservation 5 days prior to start of reservation. I called the # they gave, then was told by an automated recording that I needed to email my request. I did as they said, received a response saying someone would contact me shortly. I never heard back from anyone so I called 3 times, spoke to 3 different people who told me to email again with all of the details and forward the original email. I did all of that- I was told I would be charged a $100 cancellation fee Broome paid in full to get the discount. They finally refunded me, but charged me a $200 cancellation fee (the amount they charge if you cancel 24 hrs or less from time up scheduled pick up) I have proof of my original email, 5 days prior to scheduled pick up date. They are crooks, and I will never give them my business again!!!!