Sixt Rent A Car Logo

Sixt Rent A Car

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

Lottielyn Schwenke Orlando, FL

I used Sixt for the first time on a work trip to Minnesota. They were great, easy to use, and upgraded my car to an SUV with no problem as I was not comfortable to drive in snow.

Joanna Hester Gilbert, AZ

When I was searching for a rental car, I found a great price on Sixt. However, I was reluctant because I had never heard of them before. I decided to give it a try and got a full size car at a great rate. Their kiosk was a little hard to find at the airport rental car facility, but was well worth it.

Krystal J Storm Melbourne, VIC

They refused to give me a rental car because I'm not fully vaccinated even though it says NOTHING about this in their policy. I also didn't receive a refund and the customer "service" was disgusting. Sixt are criminals!!!

Alison Van Horn Washington, DC

Sixt is a total scam. It makes its money by cheating customers in every possible way. Do not ever give them your credit card number because they will charge hundreds of dollars in exchange for nothing and claim it is their policy. Sixt should be shut down.

Boris Shapiro Greentown, PA

I rented a car in Portugal. 1st car had a broken bumper. By the time they replaced it, I was out of time for inspection. I bought a full coverage insurance from SIXT website. On the day of return SIXT employee created a fake checklist of damages to defraud insurance company. Now I have to process a claim for the fake reports

Cynthia Louise Adkins Checotah, OK

They expect people with COVID-19 to travel, potentially infecting others, to pickup rental vehicles they pre-paid for or to pay their standard cancellation fee. While that might be legal, it is extremely unethical. If you do not like doing business with morally bankrupt companies, stay far away from them.

Daniela Wesley Chapel, FL

Sixt in Europe is a legal scam. DO NOT RENT a car from this company for any reason. You will be charged mystery amounts with zero explanation. You will not be able to cancel or even ADD DAYS to your booking without them taking full advantage of you. This is sadly an incredibly shady and deceitful company. Spend your money somewhere else.

Tara Sottong Hayward, CA

Don’t make the same mistake I did. I paid up front. When I had to cancel my reservation 3 weeks in advance, they kept $100. Had I made the reservation and not paid, I wouldn’t have had no penalty. They are very shady. I can’t get anyone on the phone and the emails that I received don’t have a person’s name just “customer service” There are too many choices for car rentals to have to deal with this. Scroll past these people.

Aric Dershem Grand Rapids, MI

We rented from SiXT in Geneva Switzerland. The car was in good working order, but during checkout, we were offered additional insurance to cover any damages. We chose the additional insurance for 500 CHF. During our trip, we were forced to the side of a narrow mountain road by an oncoming truck and rubbed against a fence post - creating a 1.5cm scratch on the front bumper. Upon returning the car, we were charged 1500 CHF additional for repairs. I will never use SiXT again after my experience and would not recommend that you do either.

Dani Grooms Morrow, GA

This company needs to reevaluate there refund process!!!! I booked a prepaid rental online. When I got there NO cars were AVAILABLE so of course my refund should have been automatic due to no fault of my own. It has been nothing short a hassle to have my money refunded back. the process is too long and inconvenient. If you request a refund it has to go through some type of investigation which takes 3-5 days then it takes up to 10 days for the refund to be refunded to your actual card. This a unnecessarily lengthy process. It should not be this difficult I'm very disappointed.

Shauna Hatch Layton, UT

We showed up to get our two rentals. Apparently the larger vehicle had been in a wreck. Sixt offered us replacements that were not big enough to hold all of the passengers and luggage so we had to fork over another $750 to get a large vehicle. The customer service rep assured us we should get all of the money back. Not only did Sixt keep the extra $750, they charged us another $400-$500 when we got home! We returned the vehicles without any damage! Insanity! I will never rent from this rip-off company again!

Nellie Carol Stream, IL

I had a car reservation with Sixt in Chicago. The “customer service” rep was condescending & rude from the start; instead of a “hello”, she told me to “go read the sign” and threatened to cancel my reservation, if I didn’t put a mask on. I immediately chose to take my business to a different counter and rent from Avis instead, where people still have a say over their own bodies and are treated with respect. The Avis rep was helpful, pleasant and courteous. I will gladly cross off Sixt from my list of car rental options in the future.

Sophia Miami Beach, FL

AVOID. SCAM. FRAUD. They give you damaged car and CHARGE YOU for damages. Andrea gave damaged car, Francisco "apologized" and explained this is not the first time he received complaint about Andrea and offered a refund. Francisco did not issue any refunds but instead he charged for the damages of the car. I have been renting cars for 20 years and have never had such a disgraceful behavior. AVOID.

Robert Hoffman Miami, FL

Said that a volvo station wagon was an upgrade from Mercedes or similar reserved. Priceline said wouldnt be charged til pick up. Was charged on reservation by Sixt. When canceled and asked about refund, they said priceline would make that decision. Called priceline and told me I was not supposed to be charged til I picked up reservation. Bait and switch bad customer service. When pick up car from another company their cars were next to it in airport garage. Saw an awful lot of smaller Mercedes cars, bmw. Dont use this company. Currently disputing charge with credit card company!

Donald Young Highland, CA

I prepaid for a rental car a month ago. Three week ago the airlines sent me a chance in air arrival time that would get me in past the meeting time. times. So i cancelled my fight with NO fee changed and booked with another airline. I had to go into another city to do so. Sixt didn't serve Austin Tx .So i called to cancel and they wouldn't refund me my pre-paid. I ask for the CEO contact information which they would no supply. This would have been my forth rental with them. I will NEVER rent with them again. They need to go back to Germany where they came from.

Andrew Harris Dayton, NJ

Took a car here and wasn't satisfied with the assistance they provided. The car had some damages before i took it but weirdly, for some reason i became the responsable one to pay for it's fixing job.

Justin Simmons Waterdown, ON

This company is the worst rental company I have ever dealt with. With the whole pandemic situation going on in the world they are refusing to refund money even though the areas of the world we are travelling to are in lockdown. Don't waste your money with these people they are unprofessional and I do not know how to take care of their client base they have had for years.

Hahn Los Angeles, CA

The customer service at Sixt Rental is non existent beyond the kiosk. All if the vehicles have preexisting damageS which they are aware of but dont repair. Tried to communicate with them through email and received an unpleasant unprofessional response 30 days later. They rent cars thats it! No customer service, care ir concern beyond the basic rental. Rude as well. And it tajes approximately 30 days to receive a response. The wait time on the phone is totally unacceptable. The corporate boobs are a waste of time and energy. There is NO customer service.

Todd Manes Denver, CO

Did not have the type of car I reserved. Billed me for a vehicle I was never in. Billed me for days I did NOT have the car. Nearly impossible to get ahold of customer service (which is a joke anyway - Sixt can't spell customer service). Billing department not open on weekends. Stay far away from Sixt. I will have a huge smile on my face the day I hear of them declaring bankruptcy.

Debbie Stratos Wellsville, OH

I was a returning customer having an average experience the first time. Thought maybe it was just the location, so decided to give them another try. Made a reservation, then Covid hit. Ended up having to cancel the trip due to Covid quarantine. Unable to get any response from customer service. Email after email went unanswered. I was fully charged for the rental that never happened. Never had such an awful response (no response) from a company. Airline and hotel were extremely accommodating, but Sixt....crickets. I would never use or recommend this company to anyone.

mccord Easton, PA

Rented car a hundred times, never burnt like i have been by this company. Did not see the fine print they only allowed 160 miles on a 4 day rental. Now what should have been a 120.00rental at all the other car counters, turned into 400.00. They got me, and they never will again, as well i going to post this same review anywhere and ever-were. Run from there counter, don't drive!!.

SANDRA CANNON Chico, CA

I rented a car in Phoenix airport paid in full at least a month before but I had to cancel because the rioters started up. I am a retired fire fighter that is disabled and 66yrs old and I did not feel safe. I cancelled 10 days in advance and they charged me $101 or a $169 rental. This was not my fault and they should have charged me alot less. If you pay in advance they charge you that much DO NOT RENT HERE

A Thieme Rochester, NY

DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY. Would give zero stars if that was option. Sixt charging me for pre-existing damage to vehicle. I did everything I was supposed to upon rental: inspected vehicle, made sure all pre-existing damage was recorded. They did not provide paper receipt. Said updated damage report would be sent to my email. MY MISTAKE for not getting a paper receipt. Email NEVER came. FRAUDULENT business practices. You have been warned.

willie nash Walthamstow, WFT

They are a bunch of scam artists. I rented a Luton van with a tail lift. When I returned the van they claimed I scratched the underside of the tail lift. This is the part of the vehicle that lays down on the ground so you can roll your loads onto it to lift it up to the truck. It is in regular contact with the ground. This is akin to them accusing me of getting a pebble stuck in the tire treads. They are now trying to charge me 1000 GBP for the "damage". I know of three other people that have similar situations. I will never use this company again, nor should you.

Rose Smith Coos Bay, OR

The rental car process was fine and the car was clean and nice. The reason why I am giving them a 1 is because the charged me twice. It has been almost 4 weeks now and I still have not been refunded the extra charge of $118.22. No one can tell me what the charge is for. They do not have record of the extra charge but both have been charged to my credit card. I do not calls back or emails. You cannot reach customer service by phone and they do not answer your emails. You have to wait for over 15 minutes to get a hold of someone at the Phoenix Airport location

Samira Roberts Atlanta, GA

They wouldn’t let us use the rental in certain states (even though the website says UNLIMITED MILEAGE) and after I cancelled it that’s when everything went down the drain. They charged me card AGAIN DAYS after I canceled my rental and they didn’t not give me a full refund like I was promised . It’s WAYYYY too much back and forth with these people. Horrible customer service !!

Joan Rochester, NY

DO NOT RENT FROM SIXT. This company is more than awful. They are screwing over hundreds of loyal customers as they have refused to offer refunds to prepaid rental customers during the COVID-19 pandemic!!! I would rather pay hundreds more to any other company - please I implore you - do NOT give this rental company any future business!!! The customer service is non-existent. I will never never never rent from them again. Customer service is horrible.

Gwen Schenectady, NY

In the midst of the Coronavirus, I tried to just cancel my reservation because I'm from NY and most likely exposed plus the parks in Florida were all closed which was the reason we were going. They refused to give a refund citing no travel ban..even though it would have been irresponsible for me to travel. Not knowing when I could reschedule my vacation I wanted to cancel.

Trina Gaines Houston, TX

Worst experience ever! I have rented many cars. This was my first time getting scammed. We returned the car and days later, the company sent an email reporting a dent...not visible to the naked eye. I literally needed a magnifying glass to see the dent. There was no dent!!! They threatened action if they weren’t paid $450. If you have money to throw away, then by all means, rent from this company. If I could give it 0 stars, I would.

Brandon Baker Temple, TX

Sixt did not hold my reservation specifically for a car, not an SUV. When I arrived they only had SUV's and one car. I requested a car for ease of parking in downtown. In order to leave in the smaller car size I reserved they charged me $27 extra per day! The customer service employee said that I should have just taken the SUV, and since they offered and SUV they are not obligated to compensate for the difference. SIXT will not hold your reservation and will not make things right when they fail on their end.

WhatsRight Cleveland, OH

Just like so many others, we were victims of fraud. They have a bogus damage certificate & even sent pictures of an obviously different vehicle. Avoid this company. Reading from others here, it’s just like what happened to us at Miami airport. It sounds like their strategy is to put pressure on inexperienced people, and hope they pay. Don’t give in

Greg M St Louis, MO

Check in process was ridiculous and timely. No one in line however the system was not working and once getting checked in, the card reader would not work and I had to do the whole process again. We did end up with a broken windshield and I was charged two days "loss of use" we all know a windshield takes two hours at most to replace. No wonder our insurance rates sky rocket as these companies charge more than they need to. I also see Sixt has their own insurance coverage for loss so why am I being charged. SIXT owes me one day "loss of use" and I will never rent from them again.

Peggy Harty Moab, UT

My rental experience was quite good, (shuttle service to and from airport, polite service, and a nice new car) that is, until over a week after checking it in I received a bill for over $700 to repair the "superficial" scratch that was considered new damage on top of 10 other existing damages that had obviously not been repaired. I will never use this company again! Anything good about the car and the local service was ruined by the shock of being billed for damage I didn't cause.

Joseph Shpats Fort Lauderdale, FL

my first time to write a review - but I had too, Worst customer service I have ever encountered- and I cant help feel it is intentionally. one of their customer hit my car from the back on Thursday, they have the report, they know they are at fault, Yet, he got to simply drive his rental $100k SUV and replace it, and I get a run around on customer support people to get a replacement car and adjuster. Sixt rent a Car- you are a disgrace to a service company.

Ruth Redding, CA

Our plane was delayed. We arrived at 1:09 am after calling and telling them we would be arriving very close to their closing time. We were assured a memo would be sent. No one was there. No note. No email conversation. I will never rent from them again. The app was not functioning. It could not find my reservation. Very frustrating. Overall experience is bad. Plus getting anyone on the phone is an exercise in futility.

madeleine delage

To bad I cant give them a 0. Just like many reviews I read here, my daugther and I were given the wrong car stating they didnt have any other available even if I reserved 3 days in advance and then they wanted us to pay for all the wrong things they found on the car...even the scratch that were mention in the contract. THEY ARE CROOKS...NO OTHER WORDS FOR THEM. AVOID AT ALL COST!!!!

MJ O'Sullivan Brighton, MI

DO NOT USE THIS CAR RENTAL COMPANY- THEY ARE FRAUDULENT IN THEIR BILLING PRACTICES!! After pre-paying for a rental and told by their Customer Service people that the costs were all-in, they added $60 to my credit card 2 weeks after the car was turned in. It took months to resolve this fraudulent charge. Additionally- the Orlando service center was an exercise in chaos- people everywhere, indistinguishable lines crossing, counter people chatting away while Rome burned. NEVER AGAIN- I'd rather walk then do business with these charlatans.

Diane Columbus, IN

Zero stars. They are the worst, charged us twice and say they refunded the first but did not. Getting our money is now an ordeal. They have horrible customer service and place the burden of responsibility on us to prove they didn't refund. The standard line is " I have to contact accounting " which means no one is going to do anything. I will never ever ever ever rent from them again and if you are reading this fo yourself a favor and rent from someone else.

Sarah

Worst travelling experience I have had in my life. Was charged thousands of dollars for damages that I did not cause, 3 weeks after returning the car. Customer service is appalling, my emails have not been answered and I have no explanation for where these costs came from and why it took 3 weeks to charge me for these things. Do not rent from them, this is a complete scam and has made my travelling experience so much worse.

Hesta Fortgang White Plains, NY

I rented a car at Palm Beach Intl airport last Fb. I bought insurance with Sixt. A man hit me in the rear, I called sixt immediately, and gave them all the info on the driver and the car. it is now 9 months later and six tells me I have to pay the damage, th other insurance company denied the claim and the insurance I bought thru Sixt is something I have to claim myself UNHEARD OF SERVICE

Sandy Webber Oregon, WI

They are HORRIBLE! Hurrican Irma was approaching Florida and the Orlando airport and the SIXT car rental in Orlando were closed on the day my son was to fly out. So he drove to the next closest airport with a Sixt car rental location. SIXT CHARGED HIM SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS AS A ONE WAY CAR RENTAL FEE! EVEN THOUGH THEIR OFFICE WAS CLOSED ON THE DAY OF HIS FLIGHT! The airline didn't charge him a change fee. FYI Sixt - haven't you ever heard of honey attracting more bees than vinegar?????? You are all vinegar!

mary Buffalo, NY

I rented thru sixt only because my company assigned them to me when I planned my vacation thru the company site. We left the airport with the car and got a flat tire. I called to report the flat. They sent AAA out to help. Then they told me the car had to go to a tire place and the tire needed to be repaired or replaced at my expense. Turns out, the tire needed to be plugged. Once I turned the car in, my final bill was $85.00 more than I was originally quoted. I will NEVER rented from them again and I will be filing a complaint with my company.

Joy S Santa Rosa, CA

Unlike other car rental companies, Sixt does not have many branches in the US. As such, if there is a problem with the vehicle as simple as a busted tire, you can’t easily exchange the vehicle. You have to run in a risky spare tire until you reach their nearest branch which is way too far. It’s not worth the hassle. It is better to rent on a car rental company that have several branches.

Barbara Spring Valley, NY

I used this company in Iceland. Do not rent from this company. I believe that they employ dishonest business practices. We picked our rental car up at night in the rain. Cursory inspection showed no issues. Upon return, a minor dent in the rear driver's side door resulted in a charge of $454 dollars. The entire process felt contrived. I was more convinced when I discovered the couple who checked out right before me was charged $454 for a minor scratch. Sixt staff went directly to a hidden spot on the car to claim the damage when it was returned. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM.

Luis Suarez Miami, FL

I rent a car in Dubai Mercedes Benz I paid the all insurance for the car, I had a incident , I was driving when someone crossed to me and I had to approach the sidewalk and scratched the RH rings front a back was small scratch like two inches front and rearrange, and they took $800 dollars from my credit car deposit, I don’t recommended that company because the insurance doesn’t cover the rings I am very disappointed with this rent a car company.

Lize

We had an extremely bad experience with Sixt Croatia. Hidden costs, lies about costs at the counter, no desire for customer service, etc etc. Note: to pass through Bosnia-Herzegovina via the Neum corridor between Dubrovnik and Split should be free (and does NOT cost EUR100 as we were told at the pick-up desk, neither EUR45 as we were informed by emails when querying this misinformation at the counter). Save yourself a lot of problems and rather use ANY OTHER rental company but Sixt.

Jen V. Dayton, OH

Be aware of toll roads! We were not given the option to pre-pay for tolls. Three weeks after our trip we received an invoice that our tolls totaled $11.78 but SIXT charged us an additional $50 .00 for "Administration Fee Toll." We drove through South FL to Key West so tolls were unavoidable. We have rented from other companies in states with frequent tolls and and have never been charged an administration fee. and typically we are able to use the "fast pass" lanes to avoided this type of issue. Also, we reserved a Mercedes and ended up with a Volvo....NOT the same quality in our opinion.

Michael Santa Cruz, CA

I rented a car with Sixt for five days without incident. Did the walk around with the agent upon return, no problems. A full week after my return I receive notification that there is a scratch on the car and a bill for $450. My five attempts to get the information to file a claim with my insurer were met with the company continuing to send my contract and pictures of the car. They would not directly answer any of the questions that were posed to them or provide additional information.

Greg B

Beyond a doubt this is a big scam. I did not damage the car yet a few days later there is a claim for underbody damages. I know this is pure BS but what can one do? This company should be shut down. Please rent from a real and reputable car company not some scam artist. Worst experience ever from the moment I arrive and it does not end there. From a $3500 credit card hold on rental to the claim of damages. Really Sixt??? How are you still in business. Worst company ever. I should have know better but I got sucked in by nice cars at reasonable prices.

Stephan Papa Denver, CO

Beware. They are deceitful; they charged me for a fraudulent claim; it started with the agent at the Porto, Portugal airport selling me up to an expensive car saying I needed it for the mountains, then they didn't go over the car with me to check for damage before giving it to me, then they charged me for a full tank of gas instead of giving me the option of bringing it back full, and then they claimed a windshield speck, which they said happened during my time driving the car, required a new windshield and charged me for it. I will never rent from Sixt again and caution you to beware.