Sixt Rent A Car Logo

Sixt Rent A Car

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

Kathleen Lesperance Campbellsville, KY

I will never again rent a car from Sixt car rental! I rented a car from them in December in Germany and when it was returned there was a ~2” scratch on the wheel. They took pictures and charged me $694.25 to replace the one wheel! The wheel sells here for ~$104.00 (I looked it up!). But what gets me even worse is the fact that due to my disability I need a lot of space to get out of the car on the driver side which is where the damage was. I do not recall ever hitting anything with that wheel. I only parked angle and parallel with the passenger side to the curb. They never gave me a receipt or a copy of what I agreed to when I accepted the car nor did they do a walk around (which I will always do in the future) to assure no damage/scratches or dents. They will not answer me as to why the cost is so high and I even sent them a copy of where I could obtain the same wheel for $104! I have had to write them multiple times asking the same questions including an itemized bill translated in English. The answer one question and one question only at a time. Yes I paid the bill but I will never ever deal with them again nor do I recommend them!

Never use Sixt! Tallinn, 37

I would never recommend Sixt. I rented a car in London and bought extra insurance they kindly recommended for foreigners. It would have been nice of them to inform me about possible congestion charges while driving through the centre of the city: I got a penalty of 180 pounds. OK – my fault... Additionally 7 months later a freaking German debt collection company raised a demand for unpaid costs: everything is long paid, including the penalties, including the extra protection and now I have to spend my time sorting this mess up. Why do these types of companies still exists – should be long bankrupt with peer-to-peer car lending so easily available and with much better service.

Leonie Wims. L.Ac. Miami, FL

I used Sixt once before and had a great experience and decided I would use them again. However, after my experience yesterday on March 13, 2020 I will never use Sixt again Ever. After reserving vehicle, I dropped my car at my mechanic in Pompano and headed to Sixt on se6th in Ft Lauderdale. Well, I was left stranded in the parking lot because they were unable to rent me the car I reserved because I had no utility bill. In addition, I was offered a Toyota Yaris for almost $150 for a day. Oh, and apparently the manager was "out to lunch" so no-one was able to "help, me. Well, I casually walked down the street to Enterprise where I rented a full-sized sedan (Nissan Altima) for FOUR days, and my grand total was $108. No hassle, No fuss,, and No utility bill. Thank You Enterprise.

Cody Houston, TX

Do not rent from them. I made a reservation for a 4 wheel drive vehicle. When I got there they told me that they didn't have any in the vehicle class I reserved and that I would have to pay a fee to upgrade to be able to get a vehicle with 4 wheel drive. What does reservation mean then? While driving it a truck in front of me kicked up a rock that chipped the windshield. Upon return I took pictures and asked the return agent if this would constitute as a damage claim, to which he told me no. He said this happens all the time, that it was an easy fix and there wouldn't be any additional charges. Which was a lie, because 3 months down the road I receive a claim email informing me I owe for the repair as well as their "lost time". I don't appreciate being lied to, but also if I had known they were going to file a claim I could've filed it with the insurance I have on my travel rewards card, but the deadline for filing is 2 months so I was out of luck. Also, they're located far from the airport, and their bus doesn't run very frequently. We waited for the bus for over 30 minutes in the cold.

Allison Wingle Edgewater, FL

Scammers!!!!Picked up a car at Hartsfield Jackson airport at around 1 am. The person behind the counter did not go over anything with us. Never had us sign anything, When we asked what we do if we got pulled over because he never gave us a contract he said to show the police our confirmation number. He told us to put our credit card in the machine because we needed to give him a $200 deposit. He handed us keys and sent us on our way. When we got home we discovered we had a $100 gas fee and an upgrade charge of $100 that we never agreed to or asked for. Don't use this company. They are scammers!!!!

Sue Cape Coral, FL

Rented the car in Ft. Myers Beach for February 14, 2020 prepaid in January 6, 2020. We went to the airport to pick up the car and was told by the agent that he would give us an upgrade at no charge. But the only fee that we would have to pay was for an additional driver. I kept repeating to the agent the car was paid for in January and the only fee that I was being charged for was additional drive, and he agreed. When I got home checked my card and additional $816.00 was charged to my account. Called to inquiry that they have made a mistake and charged my card twice. I was told that I was paying for the upgrade at $40.00 per day. My total bill from this unethical rental was $2,000. I could have rented a mercedes. Even the customer service representative agreed that it was outrageous but nothing they could do. I would never ever do business with the company again. And looking at the other reviews, hundreds of people agree. I will be calling the Better Business Bureau and the State Attorney Generals Office.

Samuel Norcross, GA

THE SERVICE WAS HORRIBLE. THEY DON’T HAVE ANY OPTIONS TO HELP THE CUSTOMER. I made a reservation for a car that could fit 12 people, 3 days before I needed it. I also prepaid it to make sure that I would get that car. The vehicle was confirmed the day before but the day I went to go pick up the car they told me that it was not available because they had given it to someone else. This really affected my trip. Their solution was to look in another company and they said that they could cancel my reservation for free. This was their only solution when clearly that was their fault. This was very irresponsible. It was also very hard to find a car like the one I needed after they gave it to someone else. It led me to cancel my trip, and this is not counting how much money I lost.

Estelle Williams Round Lake, IL

I think Sixt scams people. This was the second time and the last time I will use them. The first time I rented a vehicle they said I chipped the windshield, I didn't notice a chip when I returned it so I thought well maybe it's possible so I payed for it. Now I rent a vehicle that was dented around 1am and they told me the dents were documented and not to worry about it. After returning the vehicle (with no attendant in the return area or the front desk) I got an email from them indicating that I have to pay for the dent damage. The dents were already there! I just received another email from them today in response to my complaint and yep, you guessed it, they are saying that unless I have pics to proof that the car had a dent on the hood I will have to pay for it. The other dents were documented but the one on the hood was not, so since I didn't take a pic of the hood I am responsible for the repair. OK, how many of you take a pic of the car from top to bottom? Sixt is in business of renting cars and scamming people as they have done me. When i picked up the car and the guy said not to worry, all the dents were documented, I took him at his word. I am so irritated with this Company. I DO NOT RECOMMEND using them and I hope that this will help other people from making the mistake I made.

Robert Anderson Edwardsville, IL

I prepaid several months in advance. When I arrived at the desk I was told the SUV I rented was not available but as a favor they would upgrade me for $37. I questioned if that was $37 for the entire 10 days and was told it was $37 extra per day. I refused to pay an extra $370 so finally the agent said he’d give me the upgrade. Now after I returned home they charged my credit card an additional $19 per day for road service insurance. Who in their right mind would pay $200 for insurance when IF road service was needed it wouldn’t cost that much. They say I signed the agreement. I believe since it was electronic signature the additional service was added later.

Alexander Lee Almaty, ALA

I booked car for my vacation on Curaçao and choose SIXT. When I came to get my car I spent 40 minutes to get car, it was not line, I was first, but guy said they waiting car from car wash and asked me wait 5 min, after that 10 min and finally it’s took 40 min. Said problem I had when I returned my car, I cat find anyone. In same place were another company as Hertz, Alamo and etc and they had more customers, all customers took cars and leave, and leave, and only I wait my car after flight. My daughter was tired after flight and we stayed under hot Caribbean sun and waiting our car. I height my experience with SIXT and I never ever will book car from them. I strongly recommend do not book car with this company and see alternative

Kai Abu Dhabi, AZ

Worst company to rent from. They do not have your vehicle class and then force an upgrade on you. Not only that, but they charge an additional day (after they didn't have the car I reserved), for only 90 minutes. I contacted them and they did nothing but call me "MS" when my name is Keith. Terrible company and even worse customer service. Refused to see the logic in the fact that they did not have the car class I reserved, so I had to upgrade at 15.00 a day rate, but then also pay for an extra day when I was 90 minutes late. They refused to refund the one day. Stay away from them at all costs.

JP Boca Raton, FL

Avoid this rental company - Additional charges This is the first and last time that I rent from this company. The service for pickup is slow, it took 20 minutes for the clerk to provide the car keys and mentioned that they didn't have a compact car so they gave me an upgrade. During the pickup process, I had a feeling that all they care about is to try to sell you their insurance coverage which I declined since my Credit Card company covers the collision damage waiver (CDW) and loss damage waiver (LDW). The car was nice and in great condition. No complaints about the car. When returning the car, the clerk asked to leave the keys and said that they don't provide any document to confirm that I was returning the car and keys. Also, I mentioned that I filled up the gas, checked the exterior and that there were no issues with the car. Some days after returning the car, I received an email from the company indicating that there was a scratch in one of the rims. I didn't recognize the damage since I don't recall any issues while driving the car. As usual, when picking up (and returning) the car I did check the car for any damages but failed to review the rims (I have never in my life had to check the rims of a rental car). I have been renting cars from several companies (Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Hertz, National, Enterprise and Thrifty) for more than 20 years, more than 250 times and never had an issue (not even a scratch or dent). I drive carefully, have an impeccable driver insurance record and never caused any accidents or traffic incidents. I have been driving for more than 30 years without incidents. I had to pay EUR 160 to cover the 'damage'. I will never rent again from this company.

Jane Fayetteville, AR

The Sixt is very horrible!!! This is the worst experience we have ever had!!! They are really not reliable!!! The car broke down on the highway on our way to the airport at midnight 1 am. The car cannot be started. We did not know there was a big issue with the car that it can cause us to fail to start the car until we call the road service after it broke down. And the staff of the Sixt did not tell us anything about this. We called Sixt, they did not allow us to leave until someone towed away the car and they promised us that we can leave by 5 am and so we can arrive at the airport on time to catch our flight. However, they spent more than 7 hours to deal with this. We were in cold winter on the highway without AC for more than 7 hours! Finally, I, my wife, and my parents, all of us missed our international flights. We had to spent extra $2,000 on booking new tickets and the hotel. We contact with the service department in France after we back to U.S., the Sixt refused to provide us any compensation and did not give us any chance to negotiate. They found many excuses to shirk their responsibility. It is really unfair to ask their customers to pay for their mistakes. If you don't want to waist your money, please don't rent cars from the Sixt!

APH Los Angeles, CA

If I could give SIXT Rent A Car LLC a ZERO star rating, I would. The element of flexibility in modifying your reservation without ensuing an absurd additional cost is non-existent. Their prices fluctuate at an unpredictable rate. Don’t expect to keep the same car or anything close to your original reservation should you need to change your drop off or pick up time w/o being charged an additional day or accept an insulting downgrade. They count any additional hour as an entire day rental so whether you want to change your pickup and drop off time by 1 hr or 23 hrs past a 24hr window, you’ll be charged the same. For most people, life happens and it’s not too out of the norm for plans, flight times, and dates to change. If you’re most people then I would recommend you stick with a company like Hertz or Enterprise. This company is great for those who love in a world where Murphy’s Law is merely a myth. To add to the conglomerate of amazing service, upon traveling 8hrs, exhausted; I needed to make an appointment time 2 hours from when I landed. Predicting I had plenty of time to spare, I didn’t account for the misleading shuttle time of 10-15 mins to in reality be an hour. If you happen to get sick and tired of waiting at LAX Southwest terminal 1 under the purple shuttle sign for this SIXT shuttle to never pull over & pick you up, then don’t waste your time with calling to speak to an automated robot, or their useless online shuttle tracker, just hop right on the Enterprise shuttle. You’ll probably watch all the shuttles (enterprise, national, Alamo, hertz, etc.) all pick up passengers next to you at least 3 times before you’ll get picked up like I did. Enterprise car rental lot is right next to the SIXT car rental lot. I however, made the mistake of hopping onto the Alamo shuttle, which on Apple Maps looked close enough. It was not. It was an 11 min walk through a delightful part of town where I was so kindly offered rides by 5 individuals. Had I wanted to star in my very own Lifetime Original, I might have taken up one of those offers. Lastly, should you want to inquire about anything such as a refund for example and you don’t want to waste an hour of your day, then call SIXT Rent A Car LLC customer service Billing dept. and immediately ask to be transferred to a manager. I had the delightful opportunity to speak with Denise who told me to hold 4 times throughout a 35 min phone call. After she read a note she could see on her end regarding my refund, I asked her to walk me through my invoice and point that note out as it was not visible on my end. While she couldn’t answer my question, she did sneak attack transfer me over to someone else in the wrong dept after telling me a 5th time to hold on. I was silly and tried to explain to the man I was transferred to what happened thinking he’d be helpful only for him to do the same thing! Needless to say, this company is unethical, has poorly trained customer service representatives, and is not competitive with reputable car rental services such as Enterprise and Hertz. I am not entirely sure how this company is still in business, however my guess is that it probably has something to do with customers not being able to get or keep a SIXT representative on the phone long enough to submit a complaint.

Ted Gilbert, AZ

Would never rent from them again. I booked with them for the week of Christmas. When I arrived at the Phoenix airport, they informed me that even though I had all my information (reservation numbers, etc), they could not rent to me because my ID's didn't match perfectly. My license has Theodore as my first name, but all my credit cards are under Ted. Their policy is that they must match exactly. Ridiculous! I've never had this happen before with any other car rental company. Nowhere do I recall such disclosures in my booking. They had my info beforehand and yet nothing was said until I arrived to pick up the car. Because this was Christmas week, there wasn't another car rental to be had. I was screwed. This was my first, and last rental with Sixt. Bah Humbug!

Karen Zeigler Springfield, IL

I have to give them only 2 stars. Both stars are for price. After this it stops. We waited for the car way past our pick up time. It was not ready...Please wait an hour! Then we returned at night, failed to take pictures and were charged for scratches. We rented the vehicle and it stayed in a driveway of someone's home, plus my sister and I walked the car. We were not responsible! In addition it took them over a week to notify us of the claim. Basically they were unfair. If you read other reviews, they do this quite often. My suggestion, pay a little more for a trustworthy company.

Geneve Pierre Fort Lauderdale, FL

This car rental company is really helpful when dealing with customer related issues . They work with their customers with pricing for their vehicles and any other travel accommodations.

Dawn Brunt

My score is zero. I rented a car from Sixt in Nottingham Great Britain. i had a puncture whilst i was renting the vehicle and was told I would be charged as getting a nail in the tire was not classed as damage. hey are now trying to charge me nearly 1 hundred and forty pounds. I rang the company and they told me that it was classed as damage. I told them what i had been told and they said i should not have been told that as the breakdown company does not belong to them. I am a disabled person and don't get a lot of money . This is making me ill as i don't have the money to pay it. I have now been told if i do not pay it will be passed to a debt collecting agency. I am really worried and do not know what to do. Can anyone help please.

Vadim Davison, MI

Very poor experience with Sixt in Zurich - never using them again. Charged me twice because I had a different credit card with me than the one used to prepay (both cards are under my name!). As a result I lost on conversion charges. Charged me for full tank whilst I have returned the car with full tank and have only driven 200km (so impossible to use the full tank) - they acknowledged their mistake - but still charged me, so I've lost on conversion charges again. Got a tiny CHF20 fine for 5kmh speeding - Sixt admin charge is CHF35! They do not apologise, and just point to their rules and that in the end I've got a refund (but I was let down still due to conversion). Fine, Sixt, you can prove whatever you want, but you have lost a loyal customer forever.

Defrauded

We want to add our voice to the negative reviews of Sixt. We recently rented a vehicle in Karlsruhe, Germany. we booked through Expedia and arrived at what seemed a good rate. When we picked up the vehicle, however, the desk attendant failed to explain insurance options and what we had already purchased through Expedia, and charged us over $160 for premium insurance. A few simple questions from the attendant would have avoided the extra charges. Frankly, we felt misled by Sixt, and by a desk attendant possibly more focused on bonuses from insurance sales than fairness to customers. We are very unlikely to rent from Sixt again.

Alex

STAY AWAY!!! THE WORST COMPANY!!! On Monday, 12th of August 2019, after a long trip from Greece, I arrived in the airport of Edinburgh with my wife and I went to the reception of Sixt, in order to receive the car of my reservation and to begin our honeymoon. There, something beyond belief happened. Sixt's employees rejected my VALID EU driving license because it did not have english letters, according to the "company's policy". As a result of this I had to go to EVERY SINGLE company in the rental center, in order to find an available car in the FULL SEASON of August. After THREE hours I finally rented a car from Europcar. My first day of my honeymoon was ruined because of Sixt, as I arrived to Glasgow, where I had booked a hotel, at 23:00! When I asked the employees in what policy they were reffering to, showing to them the official policy from the official site of Sixt, they pointed to me the paragraph for the non EU licenses. When Greece became a non EU country??? Their policy said clearly: "Valid driving licences of all other EU countries are accepted in the UK without further preconditions". Every other company accepted my VALID EU driving license, with my VALID EU ID for translation. They just did not have any available car, except of Europcar, because of the full season. That's why I had made a reservation in Sixt and I paid for this, 8 months ago, in order to guarantee a car. Also, the employees told me that I would receive a mail for a refund and that on Tuesday (13/08/2019) the manager would call me. I did not receive any mail or phone call. They led me to such a hassle and they didn't even contact me!! That is UNACCEPTABLE!!! Stay away in order to avoid a similar hassle!! I paid the double amount of money and I did not received any refund!

Clairine Anderson Tampa, FL

Run fast from these crooks. They will rent you a damaged car and try to claim that you damaged it. I rented from Tampa airport. Picked up the vehicle at night and noted dents and scratches. Only scratches were listed in the contract so I asked the rude guy in the booth (that did not want to come from behind the booth) he said he is not required to walk the car. When I dropped off the car that I nearly even used the entire weekend, they said it looked like it had been in a hail storm and is now trying to charge me $1600 to fix a vehicle that was probably damaged from someone who wanted to take a convertible BMW out for the weekend. Not today Sixt. I am not paying for your damaged car and I will never rent from these thieves again.

Jomar Cabiles

This company is the most HORRIFIC rental car i have ever had in my entire life. Rented a car for half day from Orlando to Miami just because i wanted to see the whole scenic. My $54 quote went up to $230. Unbelievable charges for a rental car. The most painful part was they preauthorized my credit card for $593😬😬😬.. and when i returned my car to the airport, the guy said that an invoice will be emailed to me and that the hold will disappear. I called them 7 days after asking for the invoice. They ended up getting my wrong email and they said my card should have been charge only the $230 and that the hold for $593 should have now disappeared. They said to wait for few More days and send them a copy of my statement. I sent them the email copy of my statement and got an email to wait for 28 days. Avoid this rental car at any cost!!!! Its a scam... I am more beyond mad!!!

Dawn gargano Nolensville, TN

Omg I wish I would have read these reviews before I rented a car from them for my trip to dublin....what a nightmare....I got the car on priceline and got the extra protection come to find out they dobt accept the protection from priceline...when I tried to cancel my reservation they told me I had to email them a cancellation ...no you cancel my reservation now or find someone t hff at can I already booked with another company I'm not writing an email....I called priceline and they told me they couldnt do anything...now I've been waiting all day till night cuz the sixt supervisor was suppose to call me back and hasntvreturned my call yet ...ne er ever rent a car from these people

Michael Roberge Litchfield, CT

I can't stress enough...do not rent from this company. I reserved months in advance thinking this new company that boasted customer service was going to take care of us. If you're like me, this is very rare that I can get away like this. My experience will tell all. I reserved a Mercedes or similar( Jaguar or Lincoln). When I arrived the lot was empty of those cars...only big SUVs or this big Cadillac that I ended up taking. But then she said it would be $100 more. When I returned it, I told them I would write this review. There was no compensation for their own mistake. Her excuse was, "we are such a small company, we don't have enough cars." I will never nor would I recommend wasting my time here. If they refund my money...I will re-post.

dh San Diego, CA

rented in vienna. upon return walked the car with the attendant who gave me assurances that all was intact. the next day I got my paid reciept. 2 days later they said that I left a 8inch scratch..yet both the attendant and myself never saw anything like that. Two days after they assume responsibility and they find damage???? I asked for timed, dated photo which they could never supply. they finally (two weeks later)sent some pics of tiny pebble scratches in lower front bumper. I disputed it vigorously as these were almost microscopic and not a 8 inch gash. many defects were noted upon my acceptance thay they never got repaired, yet they wanted 1k for these ?new one. they want to sell you an additional 40$ a day policy so you never have to worry about this. This is a scam. never again. if you get suckered, take every possible picture and even a video as they are going to screw you.

Heitor Ferreira Williston Park, NY

The worst car rental around. As mentioned by others, this company runs a scam. I rented from them in Porto, Portugal. First they didn't give me the car that I originally wanted. Upon return they inspected the car with me and nothing was found. A week later I received an email that the bumper was scratched and were going to charge my credit card $626.44. It seems from prior reviews they have been doing this for quite some time. If you didn't purchase their insurance, they find some incredibly minor damage that doesn't exist, then triple the charge for the car. I will be disputing the charge with my credit card company and looking for other ways to report them for fraudulent business practices. Hopefully I can help prevent this from happening to anyone else. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM.

Wendy Minneapolis, MN

Based on our experience and those of many others who have commented here, Sixt is a company of scam artists! We rented a car in Dublin, drove off happy only to discover that the clutch was slipping. Decided to continue on our trip because the car (a van) was driveable, but part way through our vacation the clutch went out on the freeway! Fortunately we were near a toll station and were able to pull over there and wait for service. Sixt sent a tow truck to pick us up (7 of us in the back seat of a tow truck!) rather than send us a new car, drove us back to the nearest city, then tried to get us to pay extra to rent an automatic transmission car because they said it was out fault the clutch went out! We settled that issue (we thought), got a new van and finished our vacation. Now we are home and have a charge for over $2,000 on our credit card bill for their clutch repair!!! Of course we are disputing the charge through our credit card company, but what a nightmare! Never again with Sixt!!

Elyssa Washington, DC

As mentioned by others, this company runs a scam. I rented from them in Iceland and upon return of the car, they claimed a minor dent in the driver's side door (there was no dent or other damage) and inspected the car without me being present. They are counting on the fact that you have to catch your flight and don't have hours to stay there and argue. Every single person returning a car at the time I was there was being told the same thing, and clearly from these reviews they have been doing this for quite some time. If you didn't purchase their insurance, they find some incredibly minor damage that doesn't exist, then triple the charge for the car. I will be disputing the charge with my credit card company and looking for other ways to report them for fraudulent business practices. Hopefully I can help prevent this from happening to anyone else. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM.

BM Cincinnati, OH

Rented a vehicle in August of this year (2019). There was a dent in the side of the vehicle when we picked it up. The agent showed us that this was marked in their system and is on the receipt in which we kept. When we dropped off, they stated that this was, a different dent, not indicated on the receipt. We discussed and they said they would look into it. We received a bill for near $1000 for repairs on a vehicle that was given to us with a small dent in it. This is unbelievable that they would try to pass their costs to an honest customer. Do not rent with this company. They are a scam and are stealing money. They responded with their copied: "contact customer service and we will help you with your issue..." After their half-hearted response. I responded with:Yes, I have contacted your customer service and sent them the receipt they asked for, which was on file already, and we discussed the issue. They again responded that the receipt wasn't good enough and that I am liable for a dent that THEY (or a previous renter) put in the vehicle. This was discussed in detail with the agent, Cherisse, and she clearly stated that this was in their file and showed me on the receipt where the dent was indicated. They are falsifying information to get their customers to pay for their expenses. I can not express more clearly, DO NOT rent from this company. They are a complete scam and will try in many ways to rip you off. I have never seen such a dishonest company and I have reported this issue to the BBB and other outlets as well.

Sue Waukesha, WI

If I could give Sixt, San Diego a zero, I would. Sixt has charged me with damages to the rental car that I did not cause. Fraudulent pictures of damage were sent stating I caused the damage. Upon my return of a Kia Forte at the San Diego Airport on July 17, 2019, a Sixt representative approached to check in the vehicle. Below are the events that occurred: Circling the car, she marked the inside (wheel well) of the driver's side wheel arch with an orange highlighting marker. I thought this was very odd that she went directly to the inside of the wheel well. I asked what she was doing and she said there was a small scratch inside the wheel arch. She proceeded to take a photo with her phone camera. I approached the vehicle, wiping part of the orange highlighter with my finger and told her that it comes off and there was no visible scratch. She mentioned that even though the mark was very small, she would turn this into the Claims Department and they would contact me within four days if there was a problem or a claim. I informed her that I did not cause any damage to the vehicle. Two other adults in my party were present and witnessed all interactions during the check in process. They also looked at the vehicle and could not identify any scratch. I did not receive any contact within the four day period that she mentioned, so I believed the issue was resolved. There was no further contact until your email on September 2, 2019. The pictures of the vehicle in their September email are not the "mark" that was identified on July 17 upon my return. The damage that was in the photos was in front of the wheel well -front side of car and wrapping around to the front bumper. To be able to make a correct determination of their claim, I requested time stamped photos of the damage along with the receipt that the work was completed on the vehicle and vehicle condition reports/incident reports for the vehicle I rented. I requested this by September 15 and have not received anything to date. I am certain this damage was not on the car when I returned it. I would like Sixt to be investigated since fraudulent claims seem to be a pattern for them and I would like all charges dropped. I wrote a letter to the BBB on September 26, 2019 and a representative from Sixt contacted me and said because I wrote a letter to the BBB, they dropped the amount of damage from $513 to $380. On October 8, 2019, I spoke to a representative from Sixt and he stated that there is no time and date stamp on any of their photos. I doubt this. I am sure if it was legitimate damage, they could certainly provide that. He also stated he would not provide any incident reports for the vehicle prior to or after my rental. He did state that the vehicle is currently out for rent and will be returning in three days. He also stated that the vehicle never went in for repairs. I asked that a photo be taken of the car in its' current condition because I am certain that the damage they are stating is not on the vehicle I rented. Well that rental period of 3 days has come and gone and guess what, still no pictures. If there actually was damage, i'm sure I'd have those pictures by now. This Company should be embarrassed of how they do business. Their dishonestly and lack of integrity is a disgrace to the Sixt family name. Unfortunately, for Hotwire, if they keep offering deals with businesses like Sixt, I will not do business with them either.

David Arthur

This company is deceiving. I rented a car online. When arriving, the car was not as large as they said it would be. They said I had to take insurance (something not disclosed beforehand). The day before they said that there were car seats available and that I could pick one up on the day of my rental. When I arrived, the agent said that she would go get one. She came back and said that they didn't have one for an infant. She said I could cancel my reservation but that I would need to contact Customer Service. You are forced to deal with Customer Service in country, not in the US in your language and with different customer service levels. They end the end said that they would still charge me for the rental I never picked up. Simply, I couldn't rent something that I could not drive with a 2 year old child. I wasn't going to be forced to take insurance that I didn't need, etc. The customer service is horrible. I will never rent here again and I highly recommend that everyone look at the other companies. You get what you pay for.

MK Excelsior, MN

Buyer beware! Do not be fooled. There is a reason this company is the cheapest rate you are going to see when looking for rentals. They suck you in because the process of booking is very streamlined and quick and the prices are way better than the other companies out there. At pickup, you will most likely be upgraded for a small fee to a nicer car. THIS WILL HAUNT YOU LATER in the form of an invoice for the difference between the original car you rented and the upgrade. BUT YOU WILL HAVE ALREADY PAID THAT DIFFERENCE WHEN YOU PICKED UP YOUR CAR. Also, do yourself a favor and do your own walk around the vehicle when you pick up the car. Take tons of photos and do a slow pan video of the entire car. RECORD EVERY SCRATCH AND DING because the real scam starts when you go to drop off your car at the end. The agent will walk around the car looking at the “damage”. They will say that they see some damage, but they are willing to wave it this one time. Take note of what they are making down, because that is what you will be arguing about later. When you get home, you will receive an invoice for damage to the vehicle. Even when you respond with your photos and video, there will be a whole lot of waiting and back and forth arguing about nothing. This company runs a giant racket. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Jeff Salt Lake City, UT

If I could give Sixt a negative star rating I would. We booked our car rental through Expedia.com for a Sixt car and the price I was shown through Expedia was $407.26 for the week. We just got done with our trip and the charge on my credit card was $829.96! I have reached out to Sixt.com multiple times and not one person has responded to my inquiries about the charge. This company is fraudulent and should not be trusted. I would recommend going through a rental company that has a better track record than Sixt. They clearly are mastering the art of the ripoff as opposed to creating loyal clients by dedicating themselves to a high level of customer service.

FuqSixt

Worse rental company ever. Keep your receipts because they’ll charge you astronomical amounts weeks later claiming system errors. STAY AWAY FROM THIS FRAUDULENT COMPANY!

Comfort O. Bothell, WA

SIXT was responsible for easily the worst experience I ever had. The girl who checked me not only charged me $80 for daily car insurance which I declined twice, but now they refuse to respond and more importantly credit me the charge. I rented with them twice and both experiences were horrible. The second, a small rink a dink counter in the Hyatt hotel in downtown Seattle, had two dumbfounded college kids failing me left and right. They had their manager - Cesar R cancel my $225 reservation the night before pickup, didn't notify me so I was denied after already arriving AND CHARGED ME THE FULL RESERVATION. That's a whopping $300 they've stolen from me. They will reap what they sow.

Daniel Green San Francisco, CA

SIXT Rent A Cars are a FRAUDULENT Nightmare. SCAM! FRAUD! AVOID! I pre-payed for a day to transfer from Split to Pula, Croatia. The wait at Split Airport was LONG and HOT. It took 2 hours to pick up the car at their makeshift outdoor container-like offices. The agent informs me that I've got a free upgrade to an automatic and a tank of gas (turns out I was charged for the gas). I purchase the collision damage waiver at his recommendation, just in case...I lost the car keys when I arrived in Pula. I called the local office as soon as they opened the next morning and was told that I should pay parking until 2 pm, and that the car would be picked up by an agent, and that I would be charged for the replacement key. When I returned from my trip, I found my credit card charged $192 for the lost key (fair enough), but an additional charge was made for $586 for a scratch that I was not notified of, and had absolutely nothing to do with. I was also charged an extra day charged. They provided no evidence of damage until I appealed (twice). I was later supplied with low resolution photos taken with flash at night of the car, and photos of a scratch - location on the car and size undisclosed. Their email said the car was towed rather than opened because the parking brake had been "engaged on the hill". The car was left on the flat at the ferry dock in P (no additional brake). They said they would open the car with the help of a local dealer, but subsequently communicated it had been towed (which could well have scratched the vehicle). No notification, no repair quote, nothing until queried. If I hadn't checked my statement carefully, they would have slipped it past my attention. Single day rental, total charges now exceed $900. Suffice it to say I wish I had selected a US company. The company has thus far failed to concede a single error on their account. DO NOT USE SIXT CAR RENTAL UNLESS YOU ARE READY TO PAY THE SAME FOR A DAY AS FOR AN TRANSATLANTIC FLIGHT.

Pete Portland, OR

Renting the car was fine, just like any other rental company. My review is for post rental. When I returned the car we found a small dent in the door. I don't recall anything happening and I denied that I caused this damage. The employee was extremely friendly and said "Perfect, not a problem, if you didn't do this, no issues here". I then appealed the damages and everything was fine. 3 MONTHS LATER....I get a letter in the mail that said there was additional damage found to the car on the rear bumper. They attached a photo and there is no damage to the car at all. It rained when I was there and the car has water droplets on it. I was charged $462 for damages and a $50 admin fee. Don't use this company. You'll rent a brand new nice car for a few days, then get charged for damages you didn't do.

PT Princeton, NJ

Constant upselling by providing lack of choice as the reason. You secure price and purchase online with a specific car of choice. Then you arrive only to realize the option is unavailable and you have to go with say a Lincoln when you specifically booked a Mercedes. Well you can get a Mercedes but for $50 more per day? Took the navigator reluctantly, A/C broke on my way from LA to Las Vegas at 100F. I called them and they said tough luck. Since the vehicle was operating, I had to drive to Las Vegas to exchange it there. The only positive experience I had was with an agent in Vegas who genuinely tried to help without upselling. You have to get lucky to find someone who does this at Sixt. This was my first and probably my last with them unless I look for premium cars which they have a good selection for. Otherwise, I would suggest going with one of the reputed/standard ones. I now have the final bill that is 10% more than what I got a receipt for? Strange. To me, a bit unethical broadly speaking.

Armindo Yonkers, NY

Rented a car in Lisbon, staff was nice, but I was told that I had to get full insurance that what my Credit card insurance was not enough ( found out that was no not true a little to late ) 227.00 dollars for that, 5.96 dollars per day x17 -100.00 dollars for tires and glass coverage, should the full insurance cover that ? Now 20.32 dollars per day x 17 -345.00 for devaluation of the car : why should I pay for devaluation of the car? To resume my experience with sixt , first and last time renting from them! I feel I got ripped off ! Rented the car for 17 days it cost me almost 1600.00 dollars!!

Mike W Floyds Knobs, IN

Rented a car via Hotwire for a golf trip. Hotwire chose Sixt and I had never heard of them before. Arrived in Phoenix on June 1 and got to counter to pick up car. They were having problems with computers and took about 25 minutes to complete the rental transaction. Went to pick up vehicle and asked the 2 attendants at counter if they would join me for pre-inspection. They just sat there and said to do it myself. I did do inspection and noticed a couple of things and brought it to their attention. They said it was documented and my group got in car for a week of golf. Upon return of the vehicle myself, my two golf partners and the Sixt attendant inspected the car and agreed on no damage. I asked for a final receipt and the attendant said it would be emailed to me. 5 days later I still did not get a receipt and asked them to email it. They did and I was charged for fuel which I expected. Then I receive a letter on the 15th about damage to the car I rented and they wanted paperwork filled out pertaining to the accident. I immediately responded with an email disputing the claim and well as explaining that I had witnesses that would attest to the attendant stating that the vehicle was not damaged. I also stated that I would not fill out the paperwork and would file a complaint with the BBB and or legal action. if they continued with this course of action. Low and behold I received a unsigned letter from Sixt in a email on 27 August 19 stating they reviewed the file and decided they would continue to pursue the financial claim $81.85 (for a supposed window chip which costed $25 to repair according to the glass receipt they attached, loss of use that they could not tell me about and an admin fee). I replied with the previous position I stated. It is freaking amazing that a company would do this (considered they probably spent over 500 dollars in document processing and reviews). I will probably end up paying this bogus claim but will never use Hotwire or Sixt again and from reading many of the above reviews a lot of other people feel the same way. Hope this helps others in their rental decisions.

ErinJ Fuquay-Varina, NC

I rented a vehicle in Phoenix from Sixt, was told the car was $32.48 a day, paid the fees up front. Returned the car with 9/10 of tank, I knew I'd be paying for the gas when the next charge came through on my credit card is was for an additional $192.00. I tried contacting Sixt to find out what this charge was for, no one answers their customer service line and you can't leave a message. I disputed the charge, they finally sent an invoice to my bank with all these ridiculous additional charges. I was never told about all these etc. fees, and concession, and the gas was $50.00 for 3 gallons of gas. I will never ever ever rent a car from them again!!!!!

Erin

AVOID AVOID AVOID! Awful experience hiring a car in Dubrovnik city centre, Croatia. Read the reviews and do not use them! We picked up a car and had been ‘upgraded’ to a bigger car, that was covered in scratches, didn’t have GPS even though we had paid extra for it so we were given a handheld one but told we got 60 minutes free calls with that one. We had made them aware we were going to Bosnia for a day trip. On route to Kravice waterfalls we get a flat tyre... shouldn’t be a big issue. However we were given a car with NO SPARE TYRE and the liquid tyre repair kit was empty, the fluid has been used up and not replaced. With no options we called the breakdown line and got told as we were in Bosnia they couldn’t do anything they only covered Croatia so to call a different number. The next person we spoke to told us they couldn’t help and to call the original number back who then decided they could do something. The GPS phone they gave us didn’t work so we had to do this on our mobiles and now have £45 charges on our phone bills. We waited 4 hours for a recovery truck and then a 3 hour drive in a truck to Croatia. We only had the car for 5 hours. We spent longer waiting for recovery and sitting in the recovery truck! I then had to go back the next day and wait in line for 45 minutes at the Sixt office to be told ‘we have forgiven the fuel costs’. Following further complaints all I have been given is ‘forgiven fuel’ and no charge for the Sixt insurance. I used Avant car in Split and had a much better experience. This ruined our holiday. Honestly, read the reviews and do not use them.

Gemma

I would definitely not recommend Sixt to anybody. The company services are extremely poor and some rental cars are damaged. Such was our case. We rented a car in Ireland, Dublin, and paid full insurance to avoid any additional charges in case of any unexpected problem. It turns out that a problem did happen, as our clutch was previously damaged. There was smoke coming out of the bonnet before we even got out of Dublin. When we reached Galway and asked for help, the mechanic said it was the driver’s fault and told us to “let it cool down.” When the clutch finally broke, the company accused the driver of not knowing how to drive on the other side. Moreover, they wanted us to pay for another insurance if they gave us a new car. The person speaking on behalf of the head department was really rude and his tone was clearly inappropriate when talking to a costumer. In addition, they did not provide us any service to get back to Galway city. The clutch had stopped working in the middle of a narrow road between two remote towns, and two strangers had to help us move the car to the roadside. Finally, it was the towing vehicle who drove us to the nearest town and there we took a bus. In short, do not spend any money on their services as they are likely to trick you in to paying more.

Joe Kelly Grapevine, TX

I have been renting cars for 40 years and have never had an experience like I had with Sixt. I rented a car in Norway, declined collision insurance as I always do, took photos of the car before leaving the lot, and then treated it like a baby for a two week vacation (never parked next to anyone, always used covered parking). I returned the car in Oslo, where the attendant told me they would inspect it later. I took another complete set of photos and then went on my way. Imagine my surprise to get an email from them 3 hours later that the car was damaged. They attached photos showing paint scratches on the UNDERSIDE of the bumper. There is no way I caused that “damage” but I could not contest that, as my photos (both before and after) did not include that part of the car. There was no way to get those pictures without laying on the ground. They then claimed that repairing that damage will cost $800. Lessons learned; 1. Do not rent from Sixt. 2. If you have no option but Sixt, pay for complete damage insurance even if it costs you up to $800 extra. 3. If you can’t afford the extra $800, be prepared to get down on the rental car garage floor and photograph every square inch of the car, including the underside. Be aware that based on other reviews I have seen, no matter what they WILL find some damage on that car that you will be charged $700-800 for. See lesson #1.

CY

I rented a car from Sixt at the Airport in Munich Germany. I reserved the car 3 months prior and they didn't have it waiting for me. They didn't seem to care too much and said they'd get me something else. The car was the only convertible Sixt allowed renters to drive outside of Germany. Once they discovered this they determined that a car was available if I waited an hour. When we finally tried to load our luggage we were dissapointed to discover the trunk was too small. They gave us a different, lower class, car (a sedan) and informed me it would be less money. They then had me sign a document in German that they said was the release of the car to me so I could drive it. Instead, I found out much later, it was a contract to rent the much less expensive car for the exact same amount as the convertible. I priced up the car we were provided with the first night to make sure I knew how much it would be. I was pleased to discover the sedan was $430 less than the convertible. Imagine my surprise when I returned to the states and received an invoice for the convertible not the sedan. When I inquired they said both cars were the identical price so just pay the convertible invoice. If you look at the Sixt website you'll quickly notice that no two cars are the same price. I would never rent from Sixt again. They have nice cars but their people are shady. Stay AWAY!

Jason P Boggs Fresno, CA

This was my first time renting from Sixt as well as my first time driving in Denver and dealing with tolls and toll roads on this level. My flight got in later than expected and then I had to wait for the shuttle to pick me up as well as others and take me out to where my rental car was. It was well after midnight by the time I got my car...very tired. I then had to drive another hour to Greely to my hotel after that. It was well after 1:30am by the time I go to my hotel. When I went to return the car from Greely by 4am in the morning I could find no gas stations close to where I had to drop the car off and I could not get the GPS to program in the address for the drop off location as well. The only reason I went down these toll roads was to find a gas station in which I could not. Consequently, Sixt charged me $79.92 for half a tank of gas that was only $2.49 per gallon while I was there and a $6 Colorado Road Safety Fee. When all was accounted for I ended up paying Sixit an additional $128.21 over and above what I originally paid. I never want to return to Denver again and I really don't want to be using Sixt again. As a matter of fact the only reason I used Sixt to begin with was because they were the only rental service with cars for the dates I required. Never even heard of them before that. So along with the long shuttle trip out to the boondocks to get my rental and extra charges and fees....I believe this was my first and last rental with Sixt. I'm sure Sixt gets this all the time, but I have NEVER had this many issues with a car rental.

S2019 Alexandria, VA

Terrible Experience - rent from any other company! Rented from Sixt in Europe in May-June 2019. First and last time I will do that. The biggest issue was with the exterior of the car. Several hours after I returned the car (at a rail station with only a key drop, no actual person), Sixt emailed me to say there was a scrape on the hood of the car and said they'd send me a bill. There is no way that damage occurred while I had the car. Plus, the car itself was full of dings, scrapes, etc. when I picked it up that Sixt never bothered to fix. If you rent from this company, take tons photos of the car at pick up and drop off. Ideally, have a Sixt employee on hand at both events to walk around the car with you. Sixt then sent an estimate that included only a number -- nothing else. When asked for additional information that any normal person would ask for -- itemized description of work, what was being done, verification that cost was only for alleged scrape and not all the other dings and dents on the hood -- Sixt refused to provide. Also, I requested a mid-range, mid-size car. It was fine in terms of cleanliness at pick up, but utterly lacking in the one thing that you would take for granted in a car today -- namely, anywhere to plug in your phone/GPS. Not a single port of any type to be found.

Susan Mikkelsen Kansas City, MO

We have been renting from Sixt in Europe for a number of years without incident. The last rental in Denmark was a nightmare. Just a quick piece of advice if you rent from the Aalborg airport...take photos of everything when you drop off the car. There was zero additional damage (to a car already dinged to death on the doors) when the car was dropped off but my husband made the mistake of not photographing the entire car before heading back to the US. Supposedly there was damage to the car. It is ridiculous because we are now out of the country and we have no visual evidence that they are lying. It's ridiculous because we have never damaged any car that we have ever rented. We will never be using this company ever again.

LP Fort Lauderdale, FL

I would like to tell you about my experience with your company as I was visiting in Israel. I rented a vehicle on line from 07/12 to 07/19/19 from you location in Petach Tikva, Israel. On Friday 07/12/19 we arrived to pick up the vehicle (We requested an SUV if possible) we were told the vehicle we wanted was not available and instead we will be upgraded to an Audi 1000. During the weekend as we were driving we realized that there was no USB outlet to charge our phone. On Sunday, 07/14 we arrived at the office again since we needed to have the ability to charge our phones quite often. The maintenance guy tried to fix the problem and after about 45 minutes told us it can't be done and that we should go back to the counter and get a different vehicle. We advised the clerk of the problem and she said she can't help us. She has no vehicle available. We asked to speak to a manager and were referred to Shani, the manager. When we explained the issue, her initial answer was"Show me in the contract that we are required to provide you with a USB in the vehicle." my brother and I tried to explain to her that it also doesn't list anything else such as wheels, radio or seats in the contract. She became very rude and started saying "well, if the two of you are going to gang on me, I can't help" At this point I tried to explain to her that is was very important that I have a way to charge my phone, we were driving down to Eilat and she said that there is road service and we can call them and they will come to us. I politely explained to her that if my phone was not charged I won't be able to call road service. She did not care. At the end I asked her to give us another vehicle or refund me fully for the vehicle. She then said she will have another vehicle but we have to wait until it's cleaned and prepped. I also asked to speak to the branch manager and was told by her the she was the branch manager. I asked for the phone number to the corporate office and she wouldn't give it to me. Finally after waiting fore another 45 minutes, We were given a vehicle. I have rented vehicles from Sixt before and from many other Car Rental companies and was never treated with such disrespect and lack of customer service. I can tell you that in the future I will not rent from Sixt again.